Knoxville, TN

2.2/5 (158 ratings)

About National Fitness Center

National Fitness Center Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Fitness Center?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Fitness Center?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2014

When I renewed my membership with Ladies of America on Mockingbird in Dallas, TX, in 11-2013, I was adamant that I retain the 60 day notice of cancellation in full as I was the previous contract. I was assured by the club representative that it was the same. Less than one month later, we received an email stating the gym was undergoing renovation and would be closed for 2 weeks and therefore, would be closed. The gym reopened under a different name, Results Fitness, current members had no notice of this until the sign went up. This was not the club my contract was with. When it was no longer possible to attend for medical reasons, I contacted National Fitness and was informed I needed to send written notice and to where. A National Fitness rep called me 10 days later (because they can take up to 7- 10 days to respond) and informed me my contract would still be in place through December. The contract they emailed me was not the one I remember signing at all.

In any case, I complained to Results and to them on the phone. I was told that then that I need to get a letter from Dr. and I did and sent it to the fax number as instructed with a lengthy letter and cc'd Results owner John Gauthier, and LOA Fitness Corporate emails. NO response from either! Ten days later, again, National Fitness called to say that the Dr. had to fill out "their" form. So, I had take this to the Dr., leave it for their process and now it is 9-8-2014 and I fax in the form. I followed up with National Fitness by phone today, 9-18-2014 and the membership was finally "deleted" (their term) on 9-12-14. I had to request written acknowledgement and requested a cancellation of automatic payment. They would not give a confirmation on the automatic payment because it does not fall into their pre-authorized, pre-written documents.

I could not elevate my request to anyone higher than the Member Customer Service Supervisor. I have three months left on the contract when it should have been at least 5 from my original notice, if someone would have told me about their form upfront, etc. Yippeee. This company needs to be reviewed for its predatory practices and the affiliate members of this company ALL need to be reviewed for its predatory tactics and improper training in reviewing a contract in all ways with a new contract execution! A class action suit should be filed as well for all of those that lost money. I plan to report this to the new National Consumer Protection Board as well.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

I received an email from National Fitness regarding a past due amount for my membership which is due to the ongoing dispute that I have with the organization and their inability to correctly cancel my membership when requested. In 02/2014, I requested to cancel my membership with a staff member at Powerhouse in Burbank, California. I was not informed of any formal procedure or paperwork and was told that it would be an easy matter since I was no longer under contract. I was offered an opportunity to freeze my membership which I declined. Unfortunately this staff member went ahead and put a freeze on my membership which "thawed out" two months later. I was unaware of this freeze and the subsequent restatement of automatic billing for three months because they do not send out any correspondence regarding resumption of billing although they have no such problem with delinquent notices.

When I contacted National Fitness, I was referred back to the local Powerhouse location. The staff at Powerhouse stated that there was nothing that they could do because I did not fill out the proper form although they did have a record on file of my request to cancel. I was given the form to fill out, which I did, and I promptly left it with staff the following morning. Three days later I received a phone call from Powerhouse stating that they could not accept a hand delivered copy of my cancellation and that I would need to mail it to them. I mailed a copy that day. My credit card company was made aware of my problems with the organization and has removed your charges from my account which is why this amount is showing past due.

I have also reported this situation to the Better Business Bureau which will also be receiving a copy of this email to add to my complaint. I don't know how much clearer I can be with this organization but I hope that those I share my experience with, both personally and on the internet, will be less likely to use Powerhouse and National Fitness.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2014

I contacted the member services department to inquire how to cancel my membership and personal training contracts. They emailed a list of required documents to send them in order to cancel. They verified my new home and employment addresses were beyond their distance requirements and there were no "affiliated" clubs within the area I was moving to. I sent in all the documentation only to be told that my proof of employment was invalid (even though I checked and double checked this with THEM prior to mailing it in). I have argued with the manager of the Oak Ridge location which is where I went and where I signed the initial contracts. I have argued with their membership services department (and WHO I talked to I have no idea because no one ever signed their name on the emails I was sent or told me who they were over the phone).

I am sick of dealing with these people. As of right now it is going to cost me over $1000 to cancel my contracts, due to having to continue to pay the membership/training fees even though I'm not using either of them and live an hour from their nearest location. Every day I wait for their approval of my paperwork is costing me money. They are scam, plain and simple. The manager at the Oak Ridge location is absolutely useless. His exact words to me were "yeah, that sucks but I can't do anything about it, I report to them." They are SO unbelievably unprofessional. Stay away if you don't want to throw away your hard earned paycheck!

Original review: July 23, 2014

I have been trying to cancel my account since March when I moved 52 miles from the closest gym. I called National Fitness and they gave me their fax number and indicated to me that I needed to fax in the first page of my lease. Which I did. I then called to make sure the fax was received and was assured that it was.

I thought everything was taken care of but then in May I realized that I had been charged in March and in April for my gym membership. I called them again and they told me there was no record of my fax and that they suggested I upload the proof to their website. Being that in my last conversation I was informed to send in the first page of my lease, I uploaded just that to their website because I was not informed anything different. I received notification that my upload was received and was being processed.

Never did I receive notification that there was a problem or that I was missing anything. In May, I was charged again and saw this on my June statement. I called them again and the person I spoke to this time said that valid proof was not received and even though I sent in the first page of my lease, they also needed the signature page. I uploaded again the first page and the signature page of my lease along with a letter telling them that I expected to be refunded the amounts that were mistakenly charged to me and received notification that they were received and being processed.

I heard nothing from them until yesterday when I received an email stating that I needed to pay them $75 and that my account was in collections. I called today to get this resolved and spoke to two individuals. Each of them were rude and nasty and would not let me get a word in edgewise. I asked to speak to a manager and the second person I spoke with proudly stated that the managers have nothing to do with them. When I mentioned that they had mistakenly charged me these past few months, she stated that that was between me and the membership department.

I asked to be transferred to the membership department and she told me that she could transfer me once I paid the $75 that she has noted that I owe them. They are holding my ability to resolve this situation hostage and want me to pay a ransom of $75 when they owe me money. I am not a fool and I will not pay something I do not owe. I will never deal with these thieves again and I recommend that everyone think three times or more before doing business with a gym that uses their services.

Original review: July 22, 2014

Our card was reported lost/stolen on June 5th. They submitted a payment for June 9. Granted if I had realized this same card was on file with them I would have contacted immediately but I did not. The company did not try and contact after the payment was denied but tried every day for a month to submit this card for payment. The Bank shows the error they should have seen was 057 letting them know it was lost or stolen. However the company says they do not get the same codes, their code showed DNH (Do Not Honor) but did not contact until a letter they dated July 7 and of course I did not get until wait for it..... the next months payment was late.

I am ending my account with Rush and if I get the urge to join a gym again I will make sure it is LOCAL. For anyone still wanting to join and think the $19.99 is great please note they charge a yearly upgrade fee which equals out to you paying around 25-27 dollars a month (unless he stopped this fee) the same as the other gyms and 24 hour is not automatic. They wanted $5 more dollars to upgrade my key card since the owner decided to go with a different system than he original charged us for. It might only be $5 but if he wanted a system that cost more than I original was charged for he should eat the cost not me or take it out of the upgrade fee he charges.

Original review: June 25, 2014

My wife and I belonged to a gym that went out of business a year ago. A few months ago I realized (yeah, I should have seen it sooner) that National Fitness was still charging my account so I filed a claim with my bank and the payments were stopped. I recovered most of my money but not all. Then this week I received a demand letter in the mail from National Fitness for the money the bank returned to me! I called them on the phone and attempted to explain to them that they in fact owe me money because they had been charging me for a membership at a gym that had closed a year ago and the girl's response was "they have a right to do that!" WTF!! I was further informed that if I did not pay what they claim I owe that it would be sent to collection and potentially go on my credit report. I’m going to sit back and wait to see what they do but if they place it on my CR I will file suit and update this post.

Original review: June 9, 2014

I recently joined the National Fitness Center Signature club located in Knoxville, TN. I originally signed up for a monthly membership and all was well. I then asked about personal training due trying to control my weight gain since being injured during my deployments to Iraq. I spoke a a young lady about the training and explained to her that I had special needs that needed to be meet by my trainer due to my injuries. I explained that my back was injured and that I had hardware in my back and needed someone who specialized in working with individuals with my health concerns and she assured me that everyone there had the needed training to help me without causing me more pain or injury. I signed the contract to the tune of 448.00 per month because the lady said that was the standard which later found out was not true.

I met with the trainer who was a nice gentleman and discovered that his degree was in biology and he really had no specific training with individuals with back injuries. I worked out with him for about two weeks and noticed that my back symptoms were getting worse and just attributed it to being out of shape. I then tried to get out of bed and could not move. I missed an entire week due to my back, and being a disabled veteran I made an appointment with my local VA and spoke with my physician about my issues and was instructed to stop the personal training aspect immediately. I was given some medication to deal with the pain and spasms and a letter to the facility explaining that due to disabilities the personal training portion would have to stop. I assumed that once a presented the documentation reason would rule or finance and the company would understand.

I went to the gym spoke with one of the managers and he explained the process to me and what steps needed to be taken and I followed them. I recently received a letter stating that they were sympathetic to my situation but my request was denied. The only way out of the contract was to move 20 miles from the nearest facility or die. They do not have a disability clause that would afford for legitimate medical conditions. The only other option was to buy out my contract at a 30 percent discount. I know see that this company is all about money. They don't seem to care about the true health of their individual members. I will be seeking legal counsel and using every media and social outlet to expose this company for what it appears to be predatory.

Original review: May 28, 2014

I am very upset with this company. The main issue is that they do not call you if there is an issue with your account. TWO YEARS ago, I had a contract with Zone fitness for one year. I paid it in full so I would not have to worry about a payment every month. My contract started in September 2010, and ended September 2011. When I called to pay the amount in full, the man told me 370.00. So that is the amount I paid in full. So after September rolled around, I knew my contract was up. I moved to a different town and that was that.

A month ago, I get a call from National fitness about a bill that has went to collection because it was never paid. 142$ I asked the guy how that could even be possible since I paid in full. He said that the month of September was not the end of my contract it was October and now the account has had fees added for two years. I told him I had never received a call or a letter or anything of this. He said, "Well we have so & so address on file." I told him that wasn't even my address. I do not believe they ever tried to contact me. I believe they wanted to get all these fees and then call me and tell it is on my credit report which is upsetting. It would be nice to join a gym that would actually let you know when your contract is up AND if you would like to renew or not. It's all a scam to get more and more money out of you!

Original review: April 30, 2014

I did NOT have a lawyer and I sued the wrong party after I got two infections after attending the local National Fitness Center. National Fitness filed a counterclaim minutes before my case came to trial. The judge dismissed my case and I allowed the case to continue. They won a whole lot of money BUT during the case, the President of National Fitness admitted that they had received many complaints for having a dirty facility. I cannot stand this company. From Day One, I asked for the contract back. They neglected to tell me I had to give them that request in writing. Nasty people. Nasty place. Happy to join in a Class Action suit just to get their contracts changed. I cannot understand the State's interest in allowing these contracts to continue.

Original review: April 15, 2014

Like many others, my bank sent out new debit cards proceeding the Target security breach. I did not have a choice in the matter. I was automatically mailed a new card and the old card (on file with many different companies for auto drafts) was canceled immediately. I painstakingly did my best within the short notice I had to call and/or go into different businesses to change my card information on file to avoid any late/return fees. Inevitably, some were missed before the payments were processed. Shapes Total Fitness was one of them.

National Fitness had ALL of my current and up to date contact information and so did the gym itself. I did not receive a SINGLE MESSAGE from them informing me my payment was not processed and would begin incurring fees. There is no reason to NOT CALL ME! The only reason they would not call is so they could tack on additional fees. I have not been late or had ANY issues making my payments in the 2 YEARS I've had the contract with them. When I went into the club to update my card information, the girl took my card and told me it was taken care of. When I called National Fitness to request my membership not be auto renewed at the end of my contract, they informed me I still have a balance of $50 in late fees. WTF!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

Due to the breach in security at Target, my bank sent me a new card. I just got the card and yesterday gave it to the girl at the front desk at my gym. Go to my gym today and was told that I am behind on my payments and have incurred a $28 late fee charge. Called National Fitness and was transferred to billing and collections. I cannot remember the girl's name that I spoke with but she provided me with terrible customer service. Told her what happened and she said that she could refund half, asked to speak with a supervisor and was told SUPERVISORS DO NOT TAKE INCOMING CALLS ... I have never been told this before with any business...asked to have a supervisor call me and was told SUPERVISORS DO NOT CALL BACK IN REGARD TO THESE SITUATIONS... I was and still am irate over this!

I have worked in billing and collections for Fortune 500 companies and this is not how you treat a customer and a supervisor's job, especially in customer service, is to take angry customers and make them happy (I know from experience)... I have never been late on any fees with them, just didn't want the late fee charge because it was not my fault. I told her that this is ridiculous and will cancel the card so they will not get any money from me, and she put me on hold for a few minutes, spoke with the "supervisor" and said they will waive it as a courtesy... courtesy? This is the right thing to do and should have been a no brainer to waive the fee. This company should not try to take advantage of customers. Obviously they're sharks when it comes to money and I will be filing a civil suit against them because this is not how paying customers should be treated!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

With a 2 year membership to Shapes Fitness Center, the first year I received a statement telling me the amount, due date and address to send my annual enhancement fee. A fee as stated on my contract. The second year I am waiting for a statement knowing my fee is due any time. I did not receive a statement. I received calls from an 800 number but they did not leave the company name so I would know whether the call was legitimate. I finally decided to call me to stop the calls. I encountered a very unfriendly person who insisted the company did not send notices.

Later in the call, the person stated two notices were sent. This was day 29 after the due date. I received an email with the statement as if nothing happened. Went to the club on day 31 after due date to be told I had to also pay a $15.00 late fee. I was willing to pay the enhancement fee but not the late fee due to the late of notice. National Fitness refused and threatened with sending my lateness with the credit agencies. A fitness center is supposed to help with stress not create it. I pay my bills and have not problem doing so but I should be treated justly.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

Mid December - I signed up at the FitnessTri for a 7 day trial membership when I first moved to Norcross. When signing up to use the free trial, they show you options. I signed up for a month to month because you can cancel at anytime. They charge you for the first two months, BUT not before your trial is over. If you cancel before the trial is over then they are supposed to not charge you at all. Originally I liked the gym, but after a couple of classes, I realized this gym wasn't for me due to the very small size. I went to another gym and decided I liked a larger setting. I go into the gym 5 days into the 7 day trial, and tell them I don't want to continue the membership. The person at the desk was helpful, he told me I had to submit it in writing so I did it right then and there. Then he uploaded it to the system and gave me a card to call National Fitness. I call them, the guy puts in the request.

The person from National Fitness, Josh, tells me he's put the request in and that the $64 charge had not come through, so they wouldn't need to charge it because it wasn't set to process until a few days from then. Well, a week later, I checked my account and they'd charged me the $64, but didn't credit it. I called them and I was told that they are waiting for corporate to respond, it could take 7 - 10 business days. A week later, I called again and they told me, "A new request was put it on January 3 so it will be 7 - 10 business days from that date." January 13, I look at my bank statement and not only have they NOT credited me the $64, but they've also charged me $29.99 for another month! Which doesn't make sense because the $64 (had I not canceled the entire membership) covers TWO MONTHS.

It's only been a month since I stepped foot in the gym, which means If I were planning to continue, there shouldn't have been a charge until February. I called again today and she said, "We're still waiting on them to answer us." I asked from whom was she awaiting a response, and she said, "They gym. They have to confirm it." REALLY? The letter of cancellation was sent to them from the gym, so what more did they need to confirm. These people are RIDICULOUS!!!! So now, I've spent 5 days in their gym and I've been charged $93 for it! This wasn't a matter of not reading the contract because I read and asked several questions before I did anything. I will never join any gym where this company handles the billing. Nor will I recommend it to any of my several friends that are entering the fitness industry.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2014

I signed up for 6 months of personal fitness with them and I was going through a divorce so my credit card was turned over to my lawyer so you didn't keep track of it but long story short they continued charging me for 6 months after my contract was up. The lady Connie when I called was very rude and said she couldn't help that I didn't understand the contract but the first girl that answered the phone said they get calls daily complaint of this because they don't tell you you have to send a letter in for 30 days to cancel. So best case scenario, they charge everyone two months extra. I thought this was very unprofessional since you pay a lot for personal training in the first place. I was ripped off of 900 dollars. Not happy.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2013

My husband and I signed up for a membership at a Gold’s Gym. We are under their military membership which has no contracts. Knowing that my husband was PCSing to Korea in a couple months I asked the employee if we would be able to put his membership on hold while he was gone. Was assured that we would be able to and took them at their word. When it came time for my husband to leave, we called National Fitness to see what needed to be done in order to put a hold on. We were told to mail in his official orders and that it would be taken care of. That was done the first of September.

On the 15th we were charged for his membership and I just let that one go because I know it takes time for things to process. But when October rolled around we were charged again. I called National Fitness, they first wanted to give me hard time because I was calling and not my husband, even though I signed all the paperwork and the money comes from my bank account. After informing the representative that I also had POA and that it was almost impossible for him to call due to the time difference she agreed to talk to me. She told me that they could not put it on hold because his orders did not have a return date. This I don't get because he still does not know his return date. I also don't understand why we weren't contacted about this issue.

We were told that they called my husband’s number, which they may have but it has been cut off. Why they didn't use the backup number (mine) or send email I also do not understand. I then asked if I could cancel the account and after some double checking I was told yes and that I would be sent an email with the cancellation forms. No email. So I had my husband call with just by luck he was able to find time and get through with his MagicJack. He was also told that there was no way the membership could be put on hold and was given the process of canceling the membership.

Now once again the cancellation process takes 30 days so we will be charged yet another month of a membership that is not being used. And I have a feeling by some of the reviews I have read this issue won't be resolved in a month. I am very aggravated that we were not able to put his membership on hold like we were told we would be and that we have had to waste over $70 on a gym membership that he is not able to use. If it weren't for it being the least expensive option for me I would also cancel my membership as well. It is very frustrating when you are told one thing and then when it comes down to it that does not happen. As much as I love Gold’s, they should really consider who they accept their payments through because this company is giving them a bad rep.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2013

I am highly dissatisfied with the service I have received from both National Fitness and Gold's Gym. Two months before my contract was up I inquired about canceling my contract. I was notified that I needed to give a 30 day notice. This is understandable and I was told by the gym to call the National Fitness 800 number. I did so and was told that on the last month of my contract there would be no more fees taken out of my account. Not once was I told that I had to submit an online form to cancel my contract. I spoke with the gym representatives both face to face and over the phone at least 3 times. I also called National Fitness three times prior to the end of my contract.

When I talked to National Fitness in May I was told I would not have any more drafts out of my account and once again I was not told that I needed to submit any request online through the National Fitness website. Seeing today that the drafts are still coming out of my account I called National Fitness. I now have been told by Kyle **, ext. **, that there isn't even documentation that I have called inquiring about this situation prior to today. I asked to speak to a supervisor and of course because your customer service and lack of ability to inform the customers of the proper procedures the supervisor was too busy to take my call. I was informed that I would be contacted by the supervisor Sam **, ext **, by 7pm tonight (this means she/he has 3 hours to contact me to resolve this situation before I contact the Better Business Bureau).

Kyle **, ext **, who refused to give me an employee number, confirms that Sam would call me before the end of the business day. I am requesting that my fees of $19.99 USD per month (June-September) be returned back to my account, due to the fact that I did what I was told to do by both Gold's Gym and National Fitness in reference to canceling my account.

I will never recommend Gold's Gym or National Fitness to any of my friends or family and I do intend on making this story known. I am hardworking teacher in a military town. I will inform Fort Braggs JAG and Inspector General's Office of the mistreatment to residents of both Fort Bragg and the Fayetteville community (which caters to more than 40,000 military members). Investigation by JAG and IG may result in Gold's Gym and National Fitness to be blacklisted and thereby off limits to military personnel and their dependents. My voice will be heard.

I have observed many other situations like mine where people of this community have been taken advantage of by both National Fitness and Gold's Gym. In case you have not realized this by the information above I am officially demanding that my membership be canceled and my fees from June to September be credited back to my bank account or I will take further legal actions against National Fitness.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

I joined a gym that was managed by National Fitness. Per my contract, I needed to cancel my membership when we moved a year later. I called and was told to mail in proof of my move, which I promptly did. Fast forward over a year later, and I'm STILL being charged and billed for them. I've left many voicemails, e-mails, etc and no one ever returns my calls. I finally got a hold of a very rude lady today who told me that they never received my proof of move (big surprise) and I would need to mail it again. Keep in mind, this is over a year later. She also said that my account would be cancelled when they received that proof but that my current bill of almost 400 would still stand. I am absolutely livid. I haven't lived near this gym for over a year but they still think it's okay to bill me for services I can't even use for a contract that should have been cancelled a long time ago. Do not go anywhere near this company. They are a bunch of crooks who seem to thrive off of dishonest policies.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2013

I am an attorney in New York. Recently a client approached me with the following complaint against National Fitness. Her credit card was declined one month. She received a phone call at around dinner time from a National Fitness. When she offered to pay all arrears within 30 days, he became hostile with her, saying, "You own a home, don't you? This is your problem not ours." She became so upset at the threats that he would take legal action that she took the phone off the hook for one hour. Within 10 minutes after putting the phone back on the hook he called back, saying "I'm not into your games!" IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT NATIONAL FITNESS, I ASK THAT YOU PLEASE CALL ME AT **.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I signed up for their services to lose weight before his best friend's wedding. They told us we can cancel anytime. We went back to cancel it, when we couldn't afford it anymore, and they said "Oh you can't do that." Well, we are now putting ourselves in debt, due to the fact that we can't cancel. I am of the opinion that it is complete and utter ** that you can't get out of this contract, even if you can't pay for it. Even when an employee tells you that you can. If you are thinking about joining, take mine, and others with the same story's advice, DO NOT DO IT!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

It's amazing this company can remain in business based on all the complaints similar to mine. I had a heart attack in March, then triple by-pass surgery the first of May. At 77 years of age the odds are good I won't be going back to the gym. I sent the necessary forms signed by my cardiologist that they demanded - they didn't believe me - and stopped payment of the EFT at the bank. They continue to send me letters demanding payment, in violation of the written contract I have with them. I have reported them to the BBB, the Attorney General and both the National Gym Association and the National Independent Health Club Association. I wish everyone who has been cheated by this outfit would do the same.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2013

I set up monthly payments with National Fitness through my gym. After several months, the automatic payments quit coming out of my bank account. Thinking that I was all paid up, I continued to train and did not worry. I subsequently received a bill from them for $1000. After discussion with one of their company's representatives, located in Utah, agreed that I owed the amount. He accepted a $100 payment. I told him I would pay the balance off in $200 or larger payments each month until I had the balance paid. I sent in $300 which was returned. Then I sent in $400 which was returned. Two weeks ago, they attached my checking account, which is funded with my Social Security check, for the entire $900. They have refused to honor the payment arrangement or return my Social Security funds.

Resolution response: Feb. 12, 2014

I feel its only fair to close out this complaint as resolved. They did finally refund the balance of my membership (I had prepaid) after 2 more months of back-and-forth on the phone. I finally got someone who said he was a supervisor and after he (apparently) actually looked at my contract, admitted that I was within the terms of the contract to cancel and processed the cancellation. I got a refund a couple of weeks later.

Original review: July 9, 2013

I was a "founding member" of my gym, Kinetix Health Club of Bonaire, GA. Everything went well until I hurt my shoulder and my doctor said he didn't know how long it would take to heal and forbade me from using the gym. After a couple of months, I decided to cancel my membership. The horror begins. National Fitness personnel are always cheerful and sound helpful on the phone, but this is a ruse. They have no intention of helping you. Their job is to give you the reason NF can't cancel your contract, refund your money, etc.

A word of advice: do not talk with them on the phone. Simply get your contract out and follow it to the letter because anything else is just a waste of time. And guess what? They will still give you excuses. I sent a letter, certified mail, return receipt requested, to them and included their form (they will not accept anything else; a letter from your doctor is not good enough) and they STILL had the nerve to call me and claim that they got my letter, but not the form! How do you prove that you included a form? What do you have to do, video yourself enclosing the form and sealing the envelope?

So, even though I did everything they demanded, down to the letter, they are still claiming that they didn't get the proper paperwork. Avoid any company that is associated with National Fitness.

Original review: July 8, 2013

My credit card was compromised and had to be cancelled. I had several automatic payments being withdrawn from this particular card. All of the other companies understood and worked with me to resolve the issue, not National Fitness. They charged me a heavy penalty for missing the day of the payment with no exceptions. Now I'm trying to cancel my membership and they don't answer the phone. They do not send correspondence and are very hard to work with. I finally got a hold of someone after several weeks and I do meet the requirements for cancellation (which is not easy - they have a lot of rules) but there is a 68-dollar cancellation fee. Avoid any athletic club that uses National Fitness to manage their billing. They will lock you into a contract and take more and more money. There are much, much better options out there. The gym I joined is Kinetix but it is managed by National Fitness. This is the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

Original review: June 25, 2013

A few months ago, I tried to cancel my membership at the gym who does billing through National Fitness. They told me it was all taken care of and emailed me a confirmation number. I recently got an email from them saying I owe them for monthly membership fees that occurred AFTER my membership was canceled. They also stated that I now have fees added onto that for not paying and that the fees will continue to increase until I pay up. I told them I canceled my membership a few months ago and refused to pay the additional fees, especially the ones added on for "late payment"! They told me that my membership would not be canceled now until I pay in full and I will continue being charged! I told them I have the confirmation number for my cancellation and everything, but they told me that didn't matter.

I told them I would like to please talk to a manager and was told there isn't anyone I could talk to. I asked if I could please talk to the gentleman who helped me with the cancellation a few months ago and the girl told me I couldn't because he doesn't work there. Then she changed her story and said he does but he wouldn't be in for a couple of days and when he is, I won't be able to talk to him because he isn't over collections. Then she changed the story again and said the last time I contacted them was in 2011 and the person doesn't work there anymore. I told her I had an email and confirmation number verifying that I talked to them in 2013 just a few months ago. She told me she wasn’t going to argue and I could either pay them today or keep getting more fees added on because my membership will not be canceled (the second time!) until I pay up.

Original review: June 13, 2013

Well, I have been trying to cancel my membership with National Fitness going on two months now... I moved to an area where there was not a gym that was affiliated with them. I was told to send in proper documents that showed my new address, i.e., a bill. I was told that I could use my Dish Network contract - I sent that in - and that my membership would be canceled. Well, I noticed a week later that they charged me for the month of May. I called and was told that the contract could not be used but they would not admit that I was given false information and that it was indeed my fault. Then I was told I needed to send the actual bill.

I let it go and when my bill came at the end of the month from Dish, I called back and spoke with Brittany (I got the name and operator's number). Brittany told me I could take a picture of the first page showing my name, current date and current address. I took several pictures and emailed them. After about ten minutes, I called back to confirm that my email was received and that it was the proper documents and that my membership was cancelled. I was told that I was good to go and that my membership was cancelled. That was on the fourth.

So today, I received a call because they had mixed my account with someone else and they were calling to collect. After it was confirmed that I was not that person, I asked, "How could you mix up my membership acct with someone else if my acct was closed?" The lady told me that not only is my account not closed but I am being charged for the month of June because it doesn't look like the first page of the bill because at the bottom of it is the payment part you can cut off and send in with your payment even though it states page 1. She told me the whole bill and I let her know it's the whole bill. I asked for a manager and was denied one. I asked for the other young lady, Brittany, to be "conferenced" and I was told she had gone for the day. I am being given the runaround so that they can continue to take money from me. What I did do when I talked to Brittany last was that I recorded our conversation. In the morning, I will be contacting my lawyer.

Original review: June 2, 2013

I signed a contract with Lady of America in Texas, and unfortunately National Fitness handles their payment accounts. I signed this contract with terms, as I was probably moving before the year was up on the contract. The gym membership lady who signed me up wrote the terms on the contract. National Fitness refused to acknowledge the terms of cancelling my membership when I did end up moving early. It took them three copies of my new ID to actually cancel my membership and 6 months to resolve my payment issues.

They are the MOST unprofessional business I have ever dealt with. They blatantly LIE and say there are no managers to resolve issues and that they cannot send or receive emails. I am sorry for the people who work there. It must be miserable to treat people terribly every day.

Original review: May 23, 2013

I won a free gift card to Kinetix gym, and they gave me a free trial week to see if I wanted a membership. I filled out the paperwork on May 15th and was told I had until May 22nd to cancel it or I would be charged the enrollment fee. I called them on May 17th to see why after reading the paperwork I signed, it didn't state anything about a 7 to 10 business days wait for a refund and what I needed to do in order to cancel it. They said I needed to come in and just fill out a cancellation form. I was on my way out of town, so I said I would come in when I got back in town.

I went in to Kinetix gym on May 21st when I got back. I filled out the form and told them I was cancelling due to the fact that I could not fit that into my financial budget. I also asked the associate if my card will be charged. She said no and that I had a last date of cancellation of May 24th. I said okay and left. I received an email from my bank today (May 23rd) stating my account is in the negative due to Kinetix charging my card. I called them and was told that I needed to contact National Fitness for any billing issues. I called them and was advised that it will take 7 to 10 business days to be considered for a refund, and that they could not do anything else. I explained to them that I cancelled it because I could not afford it. Now my account is in the negative.

I have a one year old to take care. How am I supposed to do that when my account is in the negative? He is not going to wait 7 to 10 business days to eat. I told National Fitness that I asked would my card be charged and was told no. They still said nothing could be done, and was sorry I was not informed of the refund policy because Kinetix gym might not have known about it. I don't think the customer should be penalized for what the business is not informed of if they are partnered with another business. To me, that is bad business! Also, I read the paperwork I signed and it does not state anything about a 7 to 10 days wait for a refund. I am very upset with them. I do not want to do any business with either company in the future. I really wish I could give them negative stars!

Original review: March 26, 2013

In January 2012, I decided to go in Shapes. Me and my daughter came in Shapes New Port Richey, FL. I told them," We do not want any membership. We do not want to sign any papers, only month by month payment. Nothing extra. Is it possible?" The girl who was working there said yes. Okay, she typed the information in the computer. I used two cards (debit card for my daughter's payment and credit card for myself). For both I paid $62.86. She did not give any papers, only mini-card for scanning each time when going to Shapes. Six months later I found double charges on my bills. Shapes charged me $125 for June! I immediately went to talk in Shapes.

The employees told me, "This is the annual fee." This was the first time I heard about surprising fees. I do not like this and I told, "Please cancel our agreement." The girl said, "No, you must contact with National Fitness." I found the website, cancelled online and the option did not work. I then called them for cancellation. They answered, "You must send a letter in PO." I did not send any letter. I feel this is totally wrong. Normally if you are to start a service, you must be able to stop - but not with National Fitness. Me and my daughter never came back in the club, but they charged us.

In September 2012, we moved in Palm Harbor, FL. National Fitness is still charging and taking my money. My credit and debt company finally stopped this. But now National Fitness attacks my daughter and sends her letters. They want $500 from her. Is it not funny? Who can stop this dishonest company?

Original review: March 21, 2013

I wanted to cancel my account and they gave me the worst customer service. Not only did they give me the wrong fax number, but they charged me for a month of service I didn't use since they gave the wrong info to send in to cancel. Then when I asked to speak to a supervisor, she was very rude and hung up in my face - a supervisor! Then I tried to call back and they said since I spoke with her before that, she wouldn't talk to me again?! Are you serious?! I worked in a call center before and know how a customer is supposed to be and how high of a level of customer service is supposed to be treated. They were very rude and uncaring. All they want is their money (I'm sorry, your money).

You shouldn't have to go through a million hoops to leave, but they want you to sign and join faster than ice melts. On top of that, I still had to pay a cancellation fee to stop using a service, which was more than they failed to mention before, and I had to pay to stop using a raggedy ** gym. Now that I think about it, the gym was subpar. The equipment was in poor condition or disabled for weeks at a time, treadmills were coming off track but yet we were charged an upgrade fee. By far the worst experience in life. I would not recommend giving your hard earned money to this company from experience and the way they handle business - very unprofessional. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2013

I cancelled my account according to my contract and they"lost" my cancellation. After not being contacted, billed or anything for an entire year, they called saying I owe them a couple of hundred dollars. The agents blatantly lied to me and raised their voices at me. They are the worst company I have ever known and have voided my contract many times which is illegal. Never do anything associated with such a disorganized company. I am sure at this point they must be a scam!

National Fitness Center Company Information