2.06/5

58 Anytime Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was a member for 6 months and during that time I asked the staff to clean the very dirty, smelly gym. When I got zero response other than "Oh well we cannot please everyone", I send in a comment to the corporate office. The next time I went to the gym I was met with hostility! I was shamed and bullied by the cleaning lady and owner while I was trying to work out over a piece of toilet paper I supposedly dropped! I was so taken aback to attempted to talk to the cleaning lady who told me it was not her job to clean up after sloppy adults! She was rude and the owner and the cleaning lady literally bullied and shamed me because I asked them to clean the gym!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

For the past year this has been a good gym to workout at, clean, never a wait for machines and friendly staff. However, they never informed us of the rollover to a second year and club fees for new equipment added. I tried to cancel my husband and son's accounts and had to put in a disputed with my credit card company to stop the fees coming. Now the gym says if I don’t repay those fees the accounts become active again for another year??? I want to cancel all 3 accounts now because I have to have a face to face with the franchise owner because there is no corporate to argue with. Not happy with all the hidden hoops to jump through.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I signed a one year contract in 2014, and decided to cancel in 2018 for medical reasons. When I went to cancel and turn in my key fob, I was instead given a 30 day written notice to sign -- but I thought it was a cancellation notice. The form was not filled out when I left, and I honestly thought it was a cancellation notice. The representative explained that she was going to get another month ($47 dollars) either way. Now if I had not turned in that key fob, I would have been charged $47 for it. So this is not in reality a 30 day notice, otherwise I would be able to use the facilities, which I cannot because I had to turn in that precious key fob. A notice indicates that I would be able to continue using the facilities.

This is an incredibly deceptive business practice. I am disputing it with the Bettter Business Bureau and now a manager who claims that he went over this with me -- but in reality I have never met -- is also claiming that I threw the keys at him. What keys? This key fob is about the size of a quarter, and much smaller. I slid it across the desk, and the representative took it. I don't know who these people are, but they will stop at nothing to get this $47!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

ABC Financial handles payments for Anytime Fitness here in Michigan. Evidently they are no stranger to problems with gym payments, cancellations and charges. The Michigan attorney general’s office has filed a lawsuit against Family Fitness after taking nearly 300 complaints this year. (Sept. 26, 2017). There is another gym membership business that may be guilty of the same practices as Family Fitness: ANYTIME FITNESS. I was taken into a tiny office and hard sold on a ONE YEAR MEMBERSHIP with Anytime Fitness of Farmington Hills, MI. only to find out recently that via their deceptive sales techniques I had been put into a 2 YEAR MEMBERSHIP without my awareness.

Then they put you in a essentially bogus contract that they can use to ruin your credit and suck money from you for nothing which is EXACTLY what they have done to me since I asked to cancel personal training and my gym membership this past April. Not only did the franchise owner, Khan, (perfect name for him) REFUSE to cancel the personal training (which he had already charged me $250 Cancellation Fee due to his personal trainer being fired or terminated) he continued to take money from my bank account month after month for the membership and personal training NONE of which I have received.

Now he continues to assert that due to the deceptive sales presentation wherein I was told that I was joining his gym for ONE YEAR, but it was actually for 2 years due to their deceptive AUTOMATIC RENEWAL bullet that they slyly slip into the contract, I owe him for another year's membership in his gym that I have not stepped foot in for months. I recently sent him via Certified Mail, an Intention to Sue Letter for the charges he has made to me for Personal Training I never received due to his employee being terminated and he REFUSED to refund or apply to my membership. I requested cancellation of a 2nd group training after that due to his unscrupulous handling of the first agreement. He took a cancellation fee from my co-worker but REFUSED to allow me to cancel it and has charged me for MONTHS.

I have paid over $1000 for nothing and now I find that I have been tricked into a 2 YEAR MEMBERSHIP when I was told it was for ONE YEAR. Time for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT such as the one that has been filed here in Michigan against Family Fitness which has engaged in the exact same kind of deceptive practices. Have you been negatively financially impacted by deceptive practices of Anytime Fitness franchise owners? Please contact me. We are going to get our money back!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Be aware that you can’t leave Anytime unless you pay them the cancellation fee. This policy is very ridiculous and was very hidden on your contract. It has fooled many any ex-customers. I definitely won’t recommend anyone to support such a greedy business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anytime Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Gym is open 24/7. You are issued a key fob when joining. Trainers are very knowledgeable and motivational. A lot of equipment and never have to wait for a machine. Best gym ever!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I needed to cancel, as I moved to a remote location over an hour drive to the closest location. On the contract it states I can notify the finance company so I gave them 30 days notice in writing. I got a call from the collections company 6 months later, the gym had continued to try to collect and it was now in collections. I called the Brampton location and spoke to Lauren the manager, and she said I was not allowed to notify the finance company so they didn't honor my cancellation. I explained that it is right in the contract which she obviously never read. She said if I prove it she will remove the collections. I sent her a copy of my contract showing that I can cancel with finance company. She didn't remove the collections which call me daily now, and she won't return calls. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Myself and wife went in to start a 7 day free trial, they talked us into signing up, we went to the gym only three times, decided it wasn't for us, but they continued to charge my debit card. I attempted several times to cancel, with no avail, so I canceled debit card. Now I continually get calls from them. They are crooks.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was very excited to start with this gym, but as I have been here I have been exceptionally disappointed! I finished out my contract and tried to cancel and they put my account on a freeze and then started it back up! I called and told them what happened and they would not refund back the charge! I will never come back to this gym nor would I recommend this gym to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Scottsdale, AZ - I am a disabled person who wanted to cancel my membership. I explained myself and they continued to charge me. I said, "Well I don't want to argue anymore and my debit card expires next month..." They warned me via e-mail that "my CC runs out next month" so I called my bank and asked for a new debit card with a new number... Finally the billing stopped. Then a month later they billed me under my new debit card for $119.80 and they said if I decided not to continue I would have to pay $500+ to get out of the contract... It's a ruthless company with collecting money is their main concern. I'm disabled now... They don't care.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Like so many others have said this place is a SCAM! They told me when I signed up I only needed to give 30 days notice to cancel, but when I went to cancel Khan said I had to pay for 2 years. Also I referred a friend because Khan told me I would get a referral bonus, but after repeatedly asking for it I never got it. I asked multiple times for statements so I could get reimbursed from my employer and they refused to give them to me. WORST GYM EVER! I would pay twice as much to go to a place that was professional.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Shiesty and trustworthy, make getting out of EVEN AN EXPIRED CONTRACT A PAIN IN THE **. They continued to charge my partner's card for FOUR MONTHS after it the contract was up. Needless to say stay out of this place, they have made our lives a living hell in the past and continued to stay with them for sake of convenience, fortunately we're in a place now where we have a wonderful local gym who knows their members and plays NO GAMES. Anytime Fitness you're a disgrace to the gym community and should be ashamed of yourselves. Karma is a beautiful thing and it has something especially in store for you.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I joined wanting to get my body back after baby. I signed up for PT and got my first two months free. The personal trainer was amazing. She utilized every minute I paid for. Unfortunately after a while of no longer doing the PT thing because let's face it, it is expensive, I stopped going to the gym. The facility was always clean and the equipment was plentiful. The staff was always welcoming when I was there. I stopped going and spent some time focusing on my health in another way and spending more time with my family in the process. With an infant/toddler, working full time, I could not find the time to go to the gym. I recently remembered my membership renewal was coming up so I called to ask about what I needed to do.

They said to come in to fill out a cancellation form but there is a 30 day notice required. It just so happened I was coming up on the 30 days. I tried going to the club and missed the staff by minutes (got there at 1:59, they have signs saying not staffed after 2 on those days). Frustrated, I emailed the club and asked that they accept that as my 30 day notice. The club owner emailed me back the next day, very cool about it, were sending me the cancellation paper in the mail. Got it today. No screwing me over. Accepted my 30 days. No hidden fees. This facility knows how to treat people, no matter circumstance. If I ever get to a point where I have more time, would go straight back to that gym in a heartbeat. In a world full of companies not giving a hoot about their customers, this was refreshing.

Original review: June 27, 2018

First of all the manager wasn’t at the club. I waited there for more than 1.5 hour and when I came back the girl said she won’t be coming today as something came up and she sent me here. It’s a serious issue. The membership cancellation is totally a scam. I came here to cancel the membership within 10 days. I didn’t worked out here a single day and now the girl here is saying that I won’t be able to get my joining fee back which was $112 almost + I have to pay $60 remaining balance + 2 more biweekly payments will be deducted and she said, "Sorry I can’t do anything." Why these guys don’t write it straight on the joining form that whatever you’ll be paying here isn’t coming back no matter what happens. I made the biggest mistake by joining this gym without seeing the reviews about them. My $200 are gone just by joining the gym and not going there a single day because the fob wasn’t working.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We've been a member at this Invergrove Heights location for close to a year. I've been a member with Anytime Fitness for over 10 years. This year I have been overcharged close to $250.00. (It's only June.) We called club manager Kayla ** to find out why, and also to get reimbursed for our overcharged membership. I was told that these are insufficient fund charges and I wouldn't be reimbursed. Aside from being rude and defiant, along with 0 room for customer assistance I have found that not only were my accounts sufficiently funded at the time of draw, they were conducting unauthorized withdrawals for as much as $151.71 in a single month. (Total monthly dues are $93.21.)

After trying to cancel my underaged daughter's account for no use in almost 8 months I was told I would be charged the full contract amount with no discount whatsoever. Shortly after the conversation, my account was double pulled for that months payment. And again the following month. This place is a scam and she will steal from your accounts. BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT GIVE ACCOUNT INFO TO THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I have been trying for months to cancel our membership. We ultimately had to send 2 separate certified letters. Wasted a ton of time and money (Anytime Fitness keeps charging until the "process" has been completed). The whole cancellation process concept is out of touch with how consumers expect to be treated. As a business owner, I'm embarrassed for them. As a customer, I feel a responsibility to let others know what they're getting into. Never sign a contract with AF, it's far too difficult to get out - even years after the initial contract is over.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I love going to Anytime Fitness. Its location is outside the city limits, so it is easy to get there without numerous red lights. The manager and staff are friendly and helpfu tool. The building is attractive and well cared for. There is an exercise class of people who are mostly my age that meet three times a week. It is just the right size and has plenty of exercise machines. It is perfect for my needs.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Great facilities, personal trainers and atmosphere. Good classes available and flexible hours too. Take notice of members and make sure they are aware of any injuries.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Anytime Fitness is my home away from for fitness, working out and cleaning up on road trips, and a place to meet lot of new friends with similar interests. I can be going almost anywhere and there is a beautiful Anytime Fitness nearby.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Anytime Fitness has several programs for seniors and others such as silver sneakers, yoga, and dance so that multiple people can exercise together. These programs make exercising fun and social.

Original review: June 2, 2018

As its name implies, it’s open 24 hours. It’s not large, but rarely seems crowded. It has all the equipment I need. The staff and clients are just the right amount of friendliness.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Love the pilates class and variety of classes offered. The staff knows you by name and are very encouraging. Nice equipment in good condition too. They also encourage clientele to get to know each other by offering get-togethers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Cleanliness needs improvement and equipment not well maintained despite fees assessed for that purpose. Need for televisions on treadmills to work too. Really need someone who cares about equipment.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The facility is nice and clean, however that doesn’t excuse the rude customer service by the employees. When I signed up for my membership I was never told it was a 12-month agreement because if I was I never would have signed the contract. When I called to cancel the manager basically told me tough luck and the only way I could get out of it was either a medical injury or waiting until next year when the 12-months were over. When I explained to the manager that I was not told it was a 12-month agreement she basically called me a liar and said that their butts were covered because they had a contract with my signature on it.

When I asked to speak with the owner I was told the owner doesn’t deal with these kinds of issues, which shocked me because if I had a business with unhappy customers I would do whatever I could to help and make sure they were satisfied. They do not have a lot of equipment to choose from which is shocking given the fact that members pay $38.99 a month with $19.99 also taken out twice a year. After this experience and after reading multiple other reviews my understanding of Anytime’s integrity is that they have none and only care about getting money and not their member’s happiness. I also don’t understand why this franchise doesn’t have a customer service number that members can contact.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My key fob had been working on and off for some time. I contacted my membership gym in Blythewood, SC when the problem started. I never received any contact from Anytime Fitness addressing the issue. After my key fob completely stopped working is when I decided to show up during their staffed hours, only to be told that there wasn’t a problem on “their end.” Bryan told me to purchase another key fob. They actually denied my attempts to contact them saying that if I had contacted them when the issue started that they could have addressed my faulty key fob.

Frustrated with the matter and service, I tried canceling my membership. I had been a member for over 3 years so I am well within my right to cancel, right? Nope. There are hidden fees everywhere in order to cancel. It's like they restricted my access to the club while still taking my money denying any problems. At the physical location, Bryan (franchise owner) refused to investigate the problem. He was very rude and dismissive. I was told that I would have to purchase another fob. I had not been able to access the gym for months and after trying to contact the branch, they did not return my calls or emails. This place is a scam. Save your money and go to a better gym with more locations and a better staff. Try ??? Fitness.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I fulfilled my one year contract with the Anytime Fitness in Hillview Kentucky and they continue to bill me, fine me late fees and now have sent me a collection notice. Collection and late fees for what??? Do not join this gym unless you plan on paying for it the rest of your life. Their contract is a fraud, they put people that fulfill their contracts in collections after they fulfill their contract!!! CONSUMER BEWARE. I will be finding out what my legal rights are, they cannot get away with this.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I signed up for a membership with Anytime Fitness, McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater, FL on April 13, 2018. After careful consideration, I felt this was not the gym for me. I went back the very next morning to advise I wished to cancel. I was first told that I would need to pay an additional 3 months. After pointing out the 3-day clause in their "not a contract", I was promised a refund. I was contacted several times, via email, by the manager, **, who assured me a refund was placed in the mail. I followed up with ** several times to advise the payment was not received and to confirm my mailing address. ** confirmed my mailing address and asked that I contact her again if payment was not received last week. No payment to date has been sent to my address. What made this event worse, I was contacted, via text message, by ** at Anytime Fitness, requesting my banking information to sign me up for a membership!!!

Ms. ** stopped communicating with me after my last email, with a frustrated tone, asking her to do the right thing and reimburse the amount taken out of my account for a membership I never used. Additionally, I was well within the 3-day cancellation period to receive a full refund. I went so far as to report this business to BBB. It is obvious to me that this business does not desire to honor their contract and reimburse me for the down payment of a membership never used. I would be very leery of this company. I will exercise and carry all rights available to be to ensure I am refunded.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We signed a one year contract with them and was never told at that time that when the contract expired that they would continue our membership and monthly fee on a month to month basis. This is the gym on business circle in Naples. I called and was told read my contract it was in it. What I find funny is that the one in North Florida ends your contract when it's over. This gym NEVER once told us this when we joined. So, BUYER BEWARE, they will continue to charge your card after your contract is up. Very sad when a world renowned gym has to stoop so low to take in money, not painting a good business picture of its owner/manager.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I just canceled my membership today and I have been with them for over two years. Now they want to charge me for termination of my membership. I would not recommend anyone to go there. Especially in North Bismarck. Chris was very rude and arrogant over the phone to me.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Yes I joined Anytime Fitness in January of 2018 and the owner and their finance company went and took money out of my account and I done already paid them. Plus they kept notifying me about a trainer and a 21 day challenge and now he came and told he also needed $20 a month for an enhancement fee for the equipment. I quit them with reason to do so. He is already rude. His trainers are more nicer then he is. They talk about people in there who are doing their best to lose weight.

Making fun is not a nice thing to do especially someone like me losing weight with health problems. I turned the key in and found me another place to go and he cannot stop it either. If they put fees on my credit report I will dispute it. "Find another fitness center." He also told me which he does lie so does his female trainer. That was a man's gym. That's discrimination against women then. And who has their own kids there? They don't need to be there while the parent is working out.

Anytime Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2002, Anytime Fitness is a large gym franchise with locations throughout the United States, Canada, Grand Cayman and over 20 other countries. Members can access any Anytime Fitness location after 30 days of membership.

• 24 hour access: Anytime Fitness gyms are open 24 hours and also feature 24-hour security. You can use the gym whenever it fits your schedule, even late at night or early in the morning.

• Services: Anytime Fitness offers many services to clients, including private showers and restrooms, health plan discounts, wellness programs, high definition TVs and more.

• Free pass: New customers can try Anytime Fitness free for seven days. Simply visit their website and fill out a free pass request form.

• Fitness classes: Many Anytime Fitness locations offer group fitness classes including Zumba, spinning, cardio, body conditioning classes, yoga and more.

• Equipment: Available equipment varies by location, but most Anytime Fitness gyms offer treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stair climbers, free weights, lateral trainers and more.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and exercise buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs