1.76/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

65 Anytime Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was originally paying $19.99 every two weeks. All of a sudden I’m billed 3 separate time for $19.50 for a processing fee plus the 19.99 in a span of two weeks. When I called ABC Financial they referred me to Anytime because they said they didn’t have a breakdown of the billing - they are just a 3rd party service. Ok? So then I go to the gym and turns out I was billed an extra $60 because my new card declined two times. Instead of calling and notifying me they charged me and waited for me to look at in my email. To cancel my membership they want $175 cash? Sounds like a robbery. I feel like the members of this organization are trying to take advantage of my disability.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I was a member at the Boulder City, NV facility for nine years. Since new owners have taken over approximately 18 months ago things have taken a nosedive. Equipment is not being maintained, owners are non-existent and no contact information is available, and on site managers are part time and many times both are absent simultaneously. They won't even bother to get light bulbs for the ceiling and the hardware store is a block away. They have had a treadmill, an elliptical, and a bike out of service for over three months with no information or updates as to the status of repairs. Many members such as I have transferred to the local Snap Fitness facility which is much better staffed, managed and maintained. The Boulder City facility is 2 miles from my house and a couple of days a week I drive right past this gym 13 miles to another Anytime Fitness in Henderson because that one is so well owned, managed, and maintained. Very refreshing.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I'm a member of Bramhall Anytime Fitness since it was opened and never had any kind of problem with the staff. Since I started, I have seen 2 managers come in, one of them Dani and the other unfortunately I cannot remember the name, but both extremely polite and kind and the gym was always clean. Since I started, I have brought 30 of my colleagues to this gym because it is very convenient for us to attend it during our break. I'm not the kind of person who likes to leave negative feedback anywhere, but unfortunately my displeasure with the new manager Arran ** gave me no other option. When he started to work, the bathrooms that used to be always clean, began to get disgusting. I wrote a note and put it in the suggestion box to clean the shower curtains and wash the floor with bleach as it was very dirty.

Because of a problem in my knee, I have to avoid using heavy equipment, so I use the room with virtual classes all the time. The computer is not working already for two weeks and the response from the manager was "I have already ordered". One of my colleagues asked when it would arrives and he replied, "when it arrives, arrives." Absolutely unacceptable answer coming from a manager.

Today, after 2 weeks without being able to use the gym, I went to ask the "manager" Arran ** (if we can say this is a manager), about the computer for the classes and he said he already ordered and it come from another country and also his ironic answer was, "the gym has other equipment, do you know? Do you want me to teach you how to use them?" I asked the email of his superior or the owner of the academy to express my displeasure against Arran ** and he said he would not give me, so here I am writing this "book" as feedback and hoping that the owner or a responsible person by Anytime Fitness in Bramhall will read this. One thing for sure, I will no longer present even a friend to this academy while this manager is there and hope that this feedback also makes Arran understand that as a manager, this is not the best way to treat the customers.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My daughter has had a membership at a local Anytime Fitness for a little over a year. We only signed a year contract, but noticed that we were still getting charged. She is not currently using the membership as much as she was in the beginning, so we called to cancel. They informed us that we would still have to pay for another month of membership because we are required to cancel 30 days in advance and there are only 29 days from today until our next payment is scheduled to go through. This is how this organization treats loyal customers. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I joined the Abingdon branch in Jan this year as this was the only 24h gym in the area and I prefer to go late during the evenings due to my anxiety. I phoned the gym in around May to freeze my membership for 1-2 months due to going away on holiday which was fine and it was done without any issues. I called again just before September wanting to cancel my membership due to a medical condition and was told that I'll have to obtain a letter from my GP (due to 12 month contract) however until then they will freeze my account for 3 months. They also said since I was calling so close to beginning of September, The direct debit for September will still come out as normal however it will be taken as final payment when your membership is cancelled. I don't see why I should have to pay for September however I agreed none the less.

Since I had 3 months not to mention I'm quite busy working 7 days a week, I decided to get a letter from my GP during my next check up mid October however I noticed the Gym taking Octobers payment when they should not have. I called in to the gym about this and was initially told to call before 4PM to speak to the manager about this as he works 10-4. I called in the following day and the manager refused to help at all. He claimed I was lying and they have no record of my account being frozen and to pop in the gym if I need to discuss further and hung up. I've since contacted them on Facebook and they have refused to help me and my account is STILL active meaning they are intending to take Novembers payment (which they bloody well won't as I'll be cancelling - £39 doesn't grow on trees).

The gym is refusing to freeze my account even still and they have the cheek to tell me that even if I provide them with written notice of cancellation + GP letter, they will still take November + December payment and won't issue a refund to my Door fob deposit. I work pretty hard for my money and don't intend these frauds to take my hard earned money hence I'm intending to go to court. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BRAND!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anytime Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I joined this gym because it was close to home. I needed core strengthening after a back fusion. I hired a trainer on top of the already monthly fee. Within 2 weeks I was losing the feeling in my legs. I had to get a doctor excuse to temporarily stop my membership. I ended the membership because I couldn’t return there due to health issues. Long story short 2 years later I find out they were still taking my money out of the bank. I could hardly ever reach anyone in the office. This place is a joke. They refused to refund any portion of my money. Even after my key wouldn’t give me access to the gym once I cancelled my membership.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I joined the gym and paid a year in advance. I found the gym easy to use and began working out. The facility was often dirty and I had a difficult time finding someone in the office during advertised times. They don’t have lockers, just shelves to put your items in. I brought my phone in my gym bag and had it stolen. The gym was helpful in pulling up video and identified the thief. It was a nightmare. Replacing phone, canceling credit cards/bank cards, filing police report, etc. I run a business from my phone so that was a real problem. I did return to the gym to work out but felt very unsafe and was constantly looking over my shoulder.

I attempted to contact the gym many times and was transferred to multiple people to see if I could get a refund for the rest of year as I no longer felt safe at their gyms. Several months later I still have not even got a final response. Disgusted with their lack of assistance. Even if they were not going to refund they could at least have let me know.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was a member for 6 months and during that time I asked the staff to clean the very dirty, smelly gym. When I got zero response other than "Oh well we cannot please everyone", I send in a comment to the corporate office. The next time I went to the gym I was met with hostility! I was shamed and bullied by the cleaning lady and owner while I was trying to work out over a piece of toilet paper I supposedly dropped! I was so taken aback to attempted to talk to the cleaning lady who told me it was not her job to clean up after sloppy adults! She was rude and the owner and the cleaning lady literally bullied and shamed me because I asked them to clean the gym!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

For the past year this has been a good gym to workout at, clean, never a wait for machines and friendly staff. However, they never informed us of the rollover to a second year and club fees for new equipment added. I tried to cancel my husband and son's accounts and had to put in a disputed with my credit card company to stop the fees coming. Now the gym says if I don’t repay those fees the accounts become active again for another year??? I want to cancel all 3 accounts now because I have to have a face to face with the franchise owner because there is no corporate to argue with. Not happy with all the hidden hoops to jump through.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I signed a one year contract in 2014, and decided to cancel in 2018 for medical reasons. When I went to cancel and turn in my key fob, I was instead given a 30 day written notice to sign -- but I thought it was a cancellation notice. The form was not filled out when I left, and I honestly thought it was a cancellation notice. The representative explained that she was going to get another month ($47 dollars) either way. Now if I had not turned in that key fob, I would have been charged $47 for it. So this is not in reality a 30 day notice, otherwise I would be able to use the facilities, which I cannot because I had to turn in that precious key fob. A notice indicates that I would be able to continue using the facilities.

This is an incredibly deceptive business practice. I am disputing it with the Bettter Business Bureau and now a manager who claims that he went over this with me -- but in reality I have never met -- is also claiming that I threw the keys at him. What keys? This key fob is about the size of a quarter, and much smaller. I slid it across the desk, and the representative took it. I don't know who these people are, but they will stop at nothing to get this $47!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

ABC Financial handles payments for Anytime Fitness here in Michigan. Evidently they are no stranger to problems with gym payments, cancellations and charges. The Michigan attorney general’s office has filed a lawsuit against Family Fitness after taking nearly 300 complaints this year. (Sept. 26, 2017). There is another gym membership business that may be guilty of the same practices as Family Fitness: ANYTIME FITNESS. I was taken into a tiny office and hard sold on a ONE YEAR MEMBERSHIP with Anytime Fitness of Farmington Hills, MI. only to find out recently that via their deceptive sales techniques I had been put into a 2 YEAR MEMBERSHIP without my awareness.

Then they put you in a essentially bogus contract that they can use to ruin your credit and suck money from you for nothing which is EXACTLY what they have done to me since I asked to cancel personal training and my gym membership this past April. Not only did the franchise owner, Khan, (perfect name for him) REFUSE to cancel the personal training (which he had already charged me $250 Cancellation Fee due to his personal trainer being fired or terminated) he continued to take money from my bank account month after month for the membership and personal training NONE of which I have received.

Now he continues to assert that due to the deceptive sales presentation wherein I was told that I was joining his gym for ONE YEAR, but it was actually for 2 years due to their deceptive AUTOMATIC RENEWAL bullet that they slyly slip into the contract, I owe him for another year's membership in his gym that I have not stepped foot in for months. I recently sent him via Certified Mail, an Intention to Sue Letter for the charges he has made to me for Personal Training I never received due to his employee being terminated and he REFUSED to refund or apply to my membership. I requested cancellation of a 2nd group training after that due to his unscrupulous handling of the first agreement. He took a cancellation fee from my co-worker but REFUSED to allow me to cancel it and has charged me for MONTHS.

I have paid over $1000 for nothing and now I find that I have been tricked into a 2 YEAR MEMBERSHIP when I was told it was for ONE YEAR. Time for a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT such as the one that has been filed here in Michigan against Family Fitness which has engaged in the exact same kind of deceptive practices. Have you been negatively financially impacted by deceptive practices of Anytime Fitness franchise owners? Please contact me. We are going to get our money back!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Be aware that you can’t leave Anytime unless you pay them the cancellation fee. This policy is very ridiculous and was very hidden on your contract. It has fooled many any ex-customers. I definitely won’t recommend anyone to support such a greedy business.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Gym is open 24/7. You are issued a key fob when joining. Trainers are very knowledgeable and motivational. A lot of equipment and never have to wait for a machine. Best gym ever!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I needed to cancel, as I moved to a remote location over an hour drive to the closest location. On the contract it states I can notify the finance company so I gave them 30 days notice in writing. I got a call from the collections company 6 months later, the gym had continued to try to collect and it was now in collections. I called the Brampton location and spoke to Lauren the manager, and she said I was not allowed to notify the finance company so they didn't honor my cancellation. I explained that it is right in the contract which she obviously never read. She said if I prove it she will remove the collections. I sent her a copy of my contract showing that I can cancel with finance company. She didn't remove the collections which call me daily now, and she won't return calls. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Myself and wife went in to start a 7 day free trial, they talked us into signing up, we went to the gym only three times, decided it wasn't for us, but they continued to charge my debit card. I attempted several times to cancel, with no avail, so I canceled debit card. Now I continually get calls from them. They are crooks.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was very excited to start with this gym, but as I have been here I have been exceptionally disappointed! I finished out my contract and tried to cancel and they put my account on a freeze and then started it back up! I called and told them what happened and they would not refund back the charge! I will never come back to this gym nor would I recommend this gym to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Scottsdale, AZ - I am a disabled person who wanted to cancel my membership. I explained myself and they continued to charge me. I said, "Well I don't want to argue anymore and my debit card expires next month..." They warned me via e-mail that "my CC runs out next month" so I called my bank and asked for a new debit card with a new number... Finally the billing stopped. Then a month later they billed me under my new debit card for $119.80 and they said if I decided not to continue I would have to pay $500+ to get out of the contract... It's a ruthless company with collecting money is their main concern. I'm disabled now... They don't care.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Like so many others have said this place is a SCAM! They told me when I signed up I only needed to give 30 days notice to cancel, but when I went to cancel Khan said I had to pay for 2 years. Also I referred a friend because Khan told me I would get a referral bonus, but after repeatedly asking for it I never got it. I asked multiple times for statements so I could get reimbursed from my employer and they refused to give them to me. WORST GYM EVER! I would pay twice as much to go to a place that was professional.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Shiesty and trustworthy, make getting out of EVEN AN EXPIRED CONTRACT A PAIN IN THE **. They continued to charge my partner's card for FOUR MONTHS after it the contract was up. Needless to say stay out of this place, they have made our lives a living hell in the past and continued to stay with them for sake of convenience, fortunately we're in a place now where we have a wonderful local gym who knows their members and plays NO GAMES. Anytime Fitness you're a disgrace to the gym community and should be ashamed of yourselves. Karma is a beautiful thing and it has something especially in store for you.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I joined wanting to get my body back after baby. I signed up for PT and got my first two months free. The personal trainer was amazing. She utilized every minute I paid for. Unfortunately after a while of no longer doing the PT thing because let's face it, it is expensive, I stopped going to the gym. The facility was always clean and the equipment was plentiful. The staff was always welcoming when I was there. I stopped going and spent some time focusing on my health in another way and spending more time with my family in the process. With an infant/toddler, working full time, I could not find the time to go to the gym. I recently remembered my membership renewal was coming up so I called to ask about what I needed to do.

They said to come in to fill out a cancellation form but there is a 30 day notice required. It just so happened I was coming up on the 30 days. I tried going to the club and missed the staff by minutes (got there at 1:59, they have signs saying not staffed after 2 on those days). Frustrated, I emailed the club and asked that they accept that as my 30 day notice. The club owner emailed me back the next day, very cool about it, were sending me the cancellation paper in the mail. Got it today. No screwing me over. Accepted my 30 days. No hidden fees. This facility knows how to treat people, no matter circumstance. If I ever get to a point where I have more time, would go straight back to that gym in a heartbeat. In a world full of companies not giving a hoot about their customers, this was refreshing.

Original review: June 27, 2018

First of all the manager wasn’t at the club. I waited there for more than 1.5 hour and when I came back the girl said she won’t be coming today as something came up and she sent me here. It’s a serious issue. The membership cancellation is totally a scam. I came here to cancel the membership within 10 days. I didn’t worked out here a single day and now the girl here is saying that I won’t be able to get my joining fee back which was $112 almost + I have to pay $60 remaining balance + 2 more biweekly payments will be deducted and she said, "Sorry I can’t do anything." Why these guys don’t write it straight on the joining form that whatever you’ll be paying here isn’t coming back no matter what happens. I made the biggest mistake by joining this gym without seeing the reviews about them. My $200 are gone just by joining the gym and not going there a single day because the fob wasn’t working.

Original review: June 21, 2018

We've been a member at this Invergrove Heights location for close to a year. I've been a member with Anytime Fitness for over 10 years. This year I have been overcharged close to $250.00. (It's only June.) We called club manager Kayla ** to find out why, and also to get reimbursed for our overcharged membership. I was told that these are insufficient fund charges and I wouldn't be reimbursed. Aside from being rude and defiant, along with 0 room for customer assistance I have found that not only were my accounts sufficiently funded at the time of draw, they were conducting unauthorized withdrawals for as much as $151.71 in a single month. (Total monthly dues are $93.21.)

After trying to cancel my underaged daughter's account for no use in almost 8 months I was told I would be charged the full contract amount with no discount whatsoever. Shortly after the conversation, my account was double pulled for that months payment. And again the following month. This place is a scam and she will steal from your accounts. BUYER BEWARE. DO NOT GIVE ACCOUNT INFO TO THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I have been trying for months to cancel our membership. We ultimately had to send 2 separate certified letters. Wasted a ton of time and money (Anytime Fitness keeps charging until the "process" has been completed). The whole cancellation process concept is out of touch with how consumers expect to be treated. As a business owner, I'm embarrassed for them. As a customer, I feel a responsibility to let others know what they're getting into. Never sign a contract with AF, it's far too difficult to get out - even years after the initial contract is over.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I love going to Anytime Fitness. Its location is outside the city limits, so it is easy to get there without numerous red lights. The manager and staff are friendly and helpfu tool. The building is attractive and well cared for. There is an exercise class of people who are mostly my age that meet three times a week. It is just the right size and has plenty of exercise machines. It is perfect for my needs.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Great facilities, personal trainers and atmosphere. Good classes available and flexible hours too. Take notice of members and make sure they are aware of any injuries.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Anytime Fitness is my home away from for fitness, working out and cleaning up on road trips, and a place to meet lot of new friends with similar interests. I can be going almost anywhere and there is a beautiful Anytime Fitness nearby.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Anytime Fitness has several programs for seniors and others such as silver sneakers, yoga, and dance so that multiple people can exercise together. These programs make exercising fun and social.

Original review: June 2, 2018

As its name implies, it’s open 24 hours. It’s not large, but rarely seems crowded. It has all the equipment I need. The staff and clients are just the right amount of friendliness.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Love the pilates class and variety of classes offered. The staff knows you by name and are very encouraging. Nice equipment in good condition too. They also encourage clientele to get to know each other by offering get-togethers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Cleanliness needs improvement and equipment not well maintained despite fees assessed for that purpose. Need for televisions on treadmills to work too. Really need someone who cares about equipment.

Anytime Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2002, Anytime Fitness is a large gym franchise with locations throughout the United States, Canada, Grand Cayman and over 20 other countries. Members can access any Anytime Fitness location after 30 days of membership.

• 24 hour access: Anytime Fitness gyms are open 24 hours and also feature 24-hour security. You can use the gym whenever it fits your schedule, even late at night or early in the morning.

• Services: Anytime Fitness offers many services to clients, including private showers and restrooms, health plan discounts, wellness programs, high definition TVs and more.

• Free pass: New customers can try Anytime Fitness free for seven days. Simply visit their website and fill out a free pass request form.

• Fitness classes: Many Anytime Fitness locations offer group fitness classes including Zumba, spinning, cardio, body conditioning classes, yoga and more.

• Equipment: Available equipment varies by location, but most Anytime Fitness gyms offer treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stair climbers, free weights, lateral trainers and more.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and exercise buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs