2.79/5
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

43 Anytime Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 11, 2018

My husband and I have been trying for months to cancel our membership. We ultimately had to send 2 separate certified letters. Wasted a ton of time and money (Anytime Fitness keeps charging until the "process" has been completed). The whole cancellation process concept is out of touch with how consumers expect to be treated. As a business owner, I'm embarrassed for them. As a customer, I feel a responsibility to let others know what they're getting into. Never sign a contract with AF, it's far too difficult to get out - even years after the initial contract is over.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I love going to Anytime Fitness. Its location is outside the city limits, so it is easy to get there without numerous red lights. The manager and staff are friendly and helpfu tool. The building is attractive and well cared for. There is an exercise class of people who are mostly my age that meet three times a week. It is just the right size and has plenty of exercise machines. It is perfect for my needs.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Great facilities, personal trainers and atmosphere. Good classes available and flexible hours too. Take notice of members and make sure they are aware of any injuries.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Anytime Fitness is my home away from for fitness, working out and cleaning up on road trips, and a place to meet lot of new friends with similar interests. I can be going almost anywhere and there is a beautiful Anytime Fitness nearby.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Anytime Fitness has several programs for seniors and others such as silver sneakers, yoga, and dance so that multiple people can exercise together. These programs make exercising fun and social.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anytime Fitness?

Original review: June 2, 2018

As its name implies, it’s open 24 hours. It’s not large, but rarely seems crowded. It has all the equipment I need. The staff and clients are just the right amount of friendliness.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Love the pilates class and variety of classes offered. The staff knows you by name and are very encouraging. Nice equipment in good condition too. They also encourage clientele to get to know each other by offering get-togethers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Cleanliness needs improvement and equipment not well maintained despite fees assessed for that purpose. Need for televisions on treadmills to work too. Really need someone who cares about equipment.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The facility is nice and clean, however that doesn’t excuse the rude customer service by the employees. When I signed up for my membership I was never told it was a 12-month agreement because if I was I never would have signed the contract. When I called to cancel the manager basically told me tough luck and the only way I could get out of it was either a medical injury or waiting until next year when the 12-months were over. When I explained to the manager that I was not told it was a 12-month agreement she basically called me a liar and said that their butts were covered because they had a contract with my signature on it.

When I asked to speak with the owner I was told the owner doesn’t deal with these kinds of issues, which shocked me because if I had a business with unhappy customers I would do whatever I could to help and make sure they were satisfied. They do not have a lot of equipment to choose from which is shocking given the fact that members pay $38.99 a month with $19.99 also taken out twice a year. After this experience and after reading multiple other reviews my understanding of Anytime’s integrity is that they have none and only care about getting money and not their member’s happiness. I also don’t understand why this franchise doesn’t have a customer service number that members can contact.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My key fob had been working on and off for some time. I contacted my membership gym in Blythewood, SC when the problem started. I never received any contact from Anytime Fitness addressing the issue. After my key fob completely stopped working is when I decided to show up during their staffed hours, only to be told that there wasn’t a problem on “their end.” Bryan told me to purchase another key fob. They actually denied my attempts to contact them saying that if I had contacted them when the issue started that they could have addressed my faulty key fob.

Frustrated with the matter and service, I tried canceling my membership. I had been a member for over 3 years so I am well within my right to cancel, right? Nope. There are hidden fees everywhere in order to cancel. It's like they restricted my access to the club while still taking my money denying any problems. At the physical location, Bryan (franchise owner) refused to investigate the problem. He was very rude and dismissive. I was told that I would have to purchase another fob. I had not been able to access the gym for months and after trying to contact the branch, they did not return my calls or emails. This place is a scam. Save your money and go to a better gym with more locations and a better staff. Try ??? Fitness.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I fulfilled my one year contract with the Anytime Fitness in Hillview Kentucky and they continue to bill me, fine me late fees and now have sent me a collection notice. Collection and late fees for what??? Do not join this gym unless you plan on paying for it the rest of your life. Their contract is a fraud, they put people that fulfill their contracts in collections after they fulfill their contract!!! CONSUMER BEWARE. I will be finding out what my legal rights are, they cannot get away with this.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I signed up for a membership with Anytime Fitness, McMullen Booth Road, Clearwater, FL on April 13, 2018. After careful consideration, I felt this was not the gym for me. I went back the very next morning to advise I wished to cancel. I was first told that I would need to pay an additional 3 months. After pointing out the 3-day clause in their "not a contract", I was promised a refund. I was contacted several times, via email, by the manager, **, who assured me a refund was placed in the mail. I followed up with ** several times to advise the payment was not received and to confirm my mailing address. ** confirmed my mailing address and asked that I contact her again if payment was not received last week. No payment to date has been sent to my address. What made this event worse, I was contacted, via text message, by ** at Anytime Fitness, requesting my banking information to sign me up for a membership!!!

Ms. ** stopped communicating with me after my last email, with a frustrated tone, asking her to do the right thing and reimburse the amount taken out of my account for a membership I never used. Additionally, I was well within the 3-day cancellation period to receive a full refund. I went so far as to report this business to BBB. It is obvious to me that this business does not desire to honor their contract and reimburse me for the down payment of a membership never used. I would be very leery of this company. I will exercise and carry all rights available to be to ensure I am refunded.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We signed a one year contract with them and was never told at that time that when the contract expired that they would continue our membership and monthly fee on a month to month basis. This is the gym on business circle in Naples. I called and was told read my contract it was in it. What I find funny is that the one in North Florida ends your contract when it's over. This gym NEVER once told us this when we joined. So, BUYER BEWARE, they will continue to charge your card after your contract is up. Very sad when a world renowned gym has to stoop so low to take in money, not painting a good business picture of its owner/manager.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I just canceled my membership today and I have been with them for over two years. Now they want to charge me for termination of my membership. I would not recommend anyone to go there. Especially in North Bismarck. Chris was very rude and arrogant over the phone to me.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Yes I joined Anytime Fitness in January of 2018 and the owner and their finance company went and took money out of my account and I done already paid them. Plus they kept notifying me about a trainer and a 21 day challenge and now he came and told he also needed $20 a month for an enhancement fee for the equipment. I quit them with reason to do so. He is already rude. His trainers are more nicer then he is. They talk about people in there who are doing their best to lose weight.

Making fun is not a nice thing to do especially someone like me losing weight with health problems. I turned the key in and found me another place to go and he cannot stop it either. If they put fees on my credit report I will dispute it. "Find another fitness center." He also told me which he does lie so does his female trainer. That was a man's gym. That's discrimination against women then. And who has their own kids there? They don't need to be there while the parent is working out.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Anytime Fitness had allowed my card to get stolen and run up fees on it. Then once the card had to be cancel and the recurring credit card errored out they never tried to contact owner of card and then charge late fee & late payment. How about you try to reach the members before you fine them.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Took membership out for 12 months not realising that it was a legally binding fixed contract after none of the staff informed me of this or made me aware of the terms and conditions in the small print. Tried to cancel after moving away from the area and was told that my new address was still within the 15 mile contract term. It is not. I would love to know what time machine they are using for their postcode search but the fact that every search engine and direction website and app says that it is 21 miles away by car (because let face it humans can't fly).

I now can't cancel and have had to continue paying for a gym further than what I travel for work - at least I get paid for going there! The customer service has been awful with different people telling me different things. The gym staff rude and unhelpful the second you mention wanting to cancel. Just another one of those scam artist gyms that tie you into an impossible contract where unless you die or move to India you can leave (although somehow their search engine will say India is still within their 15 mile radius.) DO NOT GO TO THIS GYM!!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

Earlier Today I went into Anytime Fitness (Hwy 49 in Richland, Ms 3921) to sign up to join the club. After asking a few questions regarding membership the club owner put his hands on me and asked me to leave his club and went on to tell me that I would be unwelcome in his club. This club owner was very disrespectful. He went on to say he was going to get the police to get me to leave. I was not trying to stay in the location after his loud disrespectful talking and putting his hands on me. His actions represent your chain very badly and I plan to tell everyone I know about this episode and to tell them to pass the word to everyone they know regarding not to join this club.

The apparent owner is a 26 year old young person with apparently no management experience. I plan to voice my complaint to every organization in the Richland area along with the Better Business or and the Chamber of Commerce. His actions cannot be tolerated because it reeks of discrimination. I am a 71 year old ** man have never been asked to leave any business or business organization.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I have a two year contract with Anytime Fitness and honestly for the most part I have been happy with their gym and staff. I was recently offered a job in another state and the house I will be living in is 13 miles from the nearest facility. My contract states that I can cancel if I'm living more than 10 miles from the nearest gym. I went to the Kingsland franchise today to cancel and their computer states that I only live 9.2 miles. That is ** as I have both clocked the miles by driving and I have it mapped out on google maps. The manager was not very accommodating and told me that I could try and find someone to buy my contract out. I inquired as to how much it would cost to cancel the membership and she said it would be 600.00. Again, that is ** as the contract says that the cancellation fee will be no more than 100.00. I'm contemplating contacting a lawyer to fight this as they are going against their terms of agreement.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Cannot stop membership, there is no support from them! Service is weird! The Gym is ok, but if you apply once, you cannot get out off them! If you want to close membership, the only way is to die. Otherwise they tell me that they cannot do anything!!! Even I will pay 59.99 for closing my account, they are not agree and keep telling me that there is no way... I didn't see so worst contract and policy ever!!! I have had experience with many other gyms, like "Gold's Gym" and they was nice - when I closed my account they return my money! But this Anytime Fitness is crazy. I didn't read any reviews about this Gym and this is my fault! That's crazy guys. I need lawyer probably... Best regards to all... I believe this review will find someone who want to make Big Mistake in his/her life.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The facility is clean and the equipment is top notch. It's not crowded like some facilities can be, no waiting for machines! I love the staff! I love being able to go at 2 am. If I want, insomnia you're no boss!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I found credit card has been charged over $300 monthly by Anytime Fitness. Then I realize that my child had use it for purchase a personal training session at Anytime Fitness. I went to the office with my child, the guy who works there told us my child had subscribed a yearly program, which is cost over $4,000, charge monthly. My child told me that they didn't told her that is a yearly program. And the guy told me we cannot cancel it and get the refund. I wonder if somebody could help me.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I joined last year and a couple of months later I had to have breast cancer surgery. After that I had to undergo 33 rounds of radiation therapy. Needless to say, I was in no shape to go to Anytime Fitness. Later I filed paperwork with an employee at Anytime Fitness with copies of surgery dates and radiation therapy dates from the hospital/s. The employee at Anytime Fitness said he would forward them to the owners who were out of state. Guess what? He NEVER DID. I NEVER HEARD A THING FROM THEM. They have NO integrity if this is how they run a business. I shall warn everyone not to do business with these people.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Joined after seeing the club in my home town (Clearwater, FL-McMullen Booth Address). This club was excellent-don't have any complaints about it. However, as I travel a lot, I choose a membership to Anytime Fitness so I could use their clubs all over the SE USA. Boy, was I disappointed by the vast majority of clubs I visited. Most of them were very poorly equipped and very poorly maintained. I finally gave up even trying. Then, I moved about 7 miles away. Good news: There was an Anytime Fitness right across the street from me! Bad news: It sucked! We tried it for a week and hated it. We decided instead to join a YMCA about a mile away (even though it had significantly less open hours).

I went back to my original Anytime Fitness to start my two-month countdown for cancellation. There I was told that one of my two sons (who both joined at the same time a few weeks after I did), had been "transferred" to the Anytime Fitness across the street from my new home (the one we tried for a week and rejected). We would have to cancel his membership directly with that branch. My other son and my memberships were duly canceled (which meant that we still had to pay two month's worth of dues-something that really pissed me off even when joining-talk about leaving a bad taste in one's mouth).

Anyway, it took me over a week to track down the attendant at the new club just to cancel my son's membership. Left VM, visited the club during published attended hours-nobody was to be found; nobody responded. Finally, after my 5th attempt at going in person during the middle of the day, the attendant was there and cancelled my membership. So, this son's cancellation (and payments) continued for around 10 days after we expressed our desire to cancel his membership.

We were told that all our memberships would still be active until the two months ran out, but now, with only a little over a month since, we have been locked out of all Anytime Fitnesses, even though I still have one more payment to make!!! The clubs tell me to call ABC Financial (the company that does the billing), and they tell me to deal directly with the clubs. It's a nightmare! So, if you like your local club and plan to stay there (and only there) for many years, it might make sense for you. But, if you're planning to use other clubs on the road, or don't want to deal with a really screwed up billing system, I'd look for another fitness chain.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I appreciate having the convenience of going to a local gym, however I do not appreciate when facilities take advantage of customers for no valid reason. There is a 25 dollar fee being imposed at the Bastrop, LA location for failing to remove weights from machines due to older people complaints. This is unacceptable because in my opinion if you cannot handle the weights, don't use the machine. Members are sometimes in a hurry and need to get in and out. Additionally there are staff there doing nothing that can intervene and reset weights. Due to the high monthly expense of such small facility, I believe this fee is unacceptable and unreasonable. Don't overcharge members because some are too lazy to reset the weights or ask for assistance. Should I charge for all the times I come in and the floor is filthy with dust an inch thick on the machines, and the treadmills are inoperable??

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have been a gym rat on and off for many years; and this is my favorite gym thus far! Since this is a franchise, not all the locations are created equal. The guy that owns the location that I go in Henrico is great with Customer service and keeps the gym in tip top shape. I love that the 24 hour convenience and the perks. The on site trainer is very personable and seems to really care about my fitness goals. I have no complaints!

Original review: June 23, 2017

This is the biggest rip off place ever! I joined well over 1 year ago and they continued to draft my account even after the contract should have been done. When my card expired they kept billing me. I called and sent messages with my signature to cancel and it never stopped. I have now moved to OKC and was told I needed to come in to cancel... NO OTHER WAY!!! What??? I have now been turned over to collection agency for 270.00. Also, spoke with the new office manager several times and she won't be there long. Absolutely zero customer service and very rude and not helpful. So sad to see a place operate with such bad management. I would never, ever recommend anyone use this gym in Enid, OK. And with a company this large where is the customer service number to corporate???

Original review: June 18, 2017

I joined Anytime Fitness in November 2016. Here it is June 2017 I have yet to go in there once to work out. I work long hours and just didn't have the time. I called to explain it to them to cancel my membership. They proceeded to tell me I can't cancel my membership until after a year and I told them I haven't been in there to work out not even one time and they was just getting free money from me. It's not like I asked for a refund I just want to cancel it, but they will not do it. VERY ANGRY, UNFAIR.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

Jim ** is a thief. I mistakenly signed up for the gym and cancelled the same day! I was promised a refund on good faith. I never received the refund. I was upset about this, but I never complained. 6 months later, I received a report that I am in collections for $482!!! I emailed Jim to ask him about this and he says “I don't remember you coming in to cancel!” Great customer service. Thanks a lot. Don't worry about your customer’s credit or reputation. CROOKS.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

When I signed up for anytime fitness I was told the only fees are the first months, and the last months. So they charged me a $75 annual fee and a month later I canceled my membership. I paid for 2 more months after canceling and I received several calls from them saying I owe $40 because the last payment didn't go through. So I came in and paid cash, I was told that I owe nothing else and I won't get any more calls... 4 days later I get ANOTHER call saying I owe $40 and they claim to have no record of me coming in and paying cash. What a scam and I refuse to pay ANOTHER $40. This is a mess. I wish I never signed up with them.

Anytime Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2002, Anytime Fitness is a large gym franchise with locations throughout the United States, Canada, Grand Cayman and over 20 other countries. Members can access any Anytime Fitness location after 30 days of membership.

• 24 hour access: Anytime Fitness gyms are open 24 hours and also feature 24-hour security. You can use the gym whenever it fits your schedule, even late at night or early in the morning.

• Services: Anytime Fitness offers many services to clients, including private showers and restrooms, health plan discounts, wellness programs, high definition TVs and more.

• Free pass: New customers can try Anytime Fitness free for seven days. Simply visit their website and fill out a free pass request form.

• Fitness classes: Many Anytime Fitness locations offer group fitness classes including Zumba, spinning, cardio, body conditioning classes, yoga and more.

• Equipment: Available equipment varies by location, but most Anytime Fitness gyms offer treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stair climbers, free weights, lateral trainers and more.

• Best for: fitness novices, athletes and exercise buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs