3.6/5 (108 ratings)

About Anytime Fitness

Anytime Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anytime Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anytime Fitness?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Hello, I am disappointed that I was unable to cancel my membership due to the spread of Coronavirus in the province of Alberta, without hefty fees of (3 months fees of $173.25). I have signed a contract for 2 years in 2018 before the COVID-19 pandemic, after the pandemic, the world is changed and millions of people died. Gyms, by their very nature, include people huffing and puffing in very close proximity. There’s increasing evidence that aerosol transmission is an important factor in coronavirus infection, meaning that social distancing might not be enough in poorly ventilated areas. Although masks can theoretically help, they can be uncomfortable to wear during hard cardio workouts, their efficacy decreases as they become wet and sweaty. I was also concerned about rising Delta variant cases in Alberta during this time, because all of that I have requested many times to freeze or Cancel my membership hoping that things will be better, but it seems like it's worst.

I have a vulnerable family member who has an autoimmune disease, and I can't put her in jeopardy just because I have signed a contract before the Pandemic. I have explained that to Anytime Fitness several times and requested to cancel/stop my membership without penalty. I was expecting a good response from anytime fitness, but instead, I have received a call from a collection company asking me to pay 3 months' fees in order to cancel my membership!!. while the club has closed due to COVID-19 restrictions for 5 or 6 months during 2020 and 2021 and that was not mentioned in the contract!!, and my membership was over during that time. This was a horrible experience with this fitness club in Westwinds Calgary.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I had a decent experience with Anytime until the pandemic hit. Even though my club was CLOSED they were still charging the monthly fee. That's right, although it was 100% CLOSED DOWN AND OFFERED NO SERVICE WHATSOEVER, THEY WERE STILL CHARGING THEIR MEMBERS THE NORMAL MONTHLY RATE! I had to jump through hoops to stop them from doing this while NO ONE WAS ABLE TO USE THEIR SERVICES! I called the club several times (and days!) before I could talk to someone who directed me to Anytime's membership services (who sound like they are in India) in order to do anything and even from there I was directed on a wild goose hunt to finally get something resolved....

Flash forward to now when I just finally tried to cancel for good and was led around on the exact same tired scavenger hunt from their last debacle. Any way for them to drain more money from members as it takes DAYS, maybe even WEEKS from someone less determined than I to cancel their membership. I literally felt like I had to contact the entire company's leadership, one-by-one in order to cancel. I was considering in picking it back up when I was more financially able but this experience definitely changed my mind on that.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

There are fraudulently withdrawals funds from my account. My membership was void back in 2012 and on July 19 and Aug 19 2021 funds were deducted from my cheque account. They submitted an old agreement to the finance department.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I joined Anytime Fitness about 3 months & couldn't be more pleased with my experience so far. The staff is so friendly & helpful. I have some physical limitations & they have shown me how to use the equipment properly & have given great advice. And the place is spotless! Wouldn't go anywhere else. Great place to tune out & tune up!

Original review: May 5, 2021

Hello, I have requested to cancel my husband's and my membership due to misrepresentation and fraudulent billing practices. Is there a form that's required to cancel? My name is Michelle ** and my husband is Brian **. We were told that due to my husband's medical condition "we can cancel at any time." We were also told that "we would be charged $45 for my husband's session and $45 for mine because I was signing up to support him and we trained together". We've been charged $180 twice a week 3 months. When we tried to cancel they would not allow us, citing "we signed a contract." This is intentional fraud for profit. Please assist in canceling our membership and reimbursement for the fraudulent charges. Kind Regards, Michelle and Brian **.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

They were great when I join around August of 2020. The gym is great, but I wasn't getting information on certain issues so I emailed them. One of the owners didn't like my email so he confronted me in the gym with 10 other members around. After telling him how I felt he touched my shoulder and said to have fun at the McCandless location (He was not polite and I'll leave it at that). I was like, "Seriously?" That was terrible customer service. You just lost a good paying customer. He DID refund me for that month of $55 and a month's worth of classes of $80. He did send an email and APOLOGIZED, but confronting me in the gym around other members was super unprofessional (maybe he was having a bad day, but at least take me into the office to talk about it). You don't treat someone paying 135 a month like that.

They need to work on how they deal with people. If you can't handle customer complaints you are in the wrong business. I am now going to join the McCandless location. I don't want to ruin this business. I just want them to know what they did was not okay and to correct it. I lost 40lbs in this gym and was advertised on the previous trainers Facebook page about my weight loss. I am success story, but I will not tolerate how I was treated. I do hope they will look at this situation so this won't happen to another member.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

When Covid started I called the gym with the hopes they would suspend my membership till after the pandemic. The owner only cared about money. I had to ask corporate to intervene. The owner reluctantly agreed. Turns out the owner lied and is currently trying to send my contract to collections. I requested a copy of any recorded conversations they have and conveniently they don't record their calls. What they are doing wrong and immoral.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

I opened my membership with Anytime Fitness under a 2 year agreement that converted to a month-to-month. The month-to-month was converted during COVID. After a few months of charges, I tried canceling. They would not allow me to cancel and would not return emails/phone calls. They required us to come in person to cancel in writing. I had sent several emails and left messages again, none of which were returned and so I stupidly thought my membership was canceled. We changed credit cards in this process and I didn't think of it. I got a notice today from a debt collection service for 6 months of membership. I am now trying to navigate this and all their manager would say is that I still have to follow their procedures and they were "very" supportive of people during that time.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

My daughter signed her and myself up for what we were led to believe was a two month membership only to be billed after two months because we had not given them 30 days notice. They clearly misled us as to the terms of the contract. Reprehensible behaviour.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

Unworkable, honestly. I sought out a personal trainer to recover from a knee injury. A manager oversold me a package of "8" to sell a lower price point, $34.95 instead of $44.95. Soon after, a trainer got me sick from working closely together, then quit. The gym shutdown with "covid". They continue deducting these training sessions @ 298$ each draining a bank account + $40 monthly fee to a point where my bank account was getting fees. During such time I resourced different options/continued exercises, etc to recovery.

I completed 32 session with 39 paid sessions left. I've spoken many different times with the manager about this and he blows it off or states maybe at the best they can do is take one of those paid sessions off or transfer to another person. When this is their practice who would logically recommend that? So, Essentially this is around 1300k that he "missold" when we goal set. Doesn't acknowledge this. Offered to pay the higher amount on sessions used but they already "took" the money so they don't care.

Understandably neither knew this "covid crisis" would come. However, they still do not follow precautions, masking, point a liability waiver, oversell, have no respect or regard for a true concern or to fix they're mistakes or acknowledge they oversold by 39 sessions/monthly fees 1300k and not even do much of anything. Honestly, online workouts are much more effective. Even if one has a personal, specific goal like I had, they're honestly worthless. Very much so to the point I feel uncomfortable being there after goal or feel a need to close my account due to their access to as their total disregard make me end all relations to protect it. I mean the trainers are nice, fun. I can completely understand why they quit if it's business practice is so off right now.

It's absolutely wrong, they reel you in at a point of need & take advantage mercilessly & refuse to attune their business practice. I would very much avoid! I mean to me, easy fix. $44.95 for the sessions used refund the monthly during shutdown & the overselling, I'd recommend. For any future need or anyone need personal attunement to get through an injury, reach a goal, etc. But no way, stay away.. But it's a real bad vibes practice at the moment. Unfortunately but honestly.

Anytime Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Founded in 2002, Anytime Fitness is a large gym franchise with locations throughout the United States, Canada, Grand Cayman and over 20 other countries. Members can access any Anytime Fitness location after 30 days of membership.

• 24 hour access: Anytime Fitness gyms are open 24 hours and also feature 24-hour security. You can use the gym whenever it fits your schedule, even late at night or early in the morning.

• Services: Anytime Fitness offers many services to clients, including private showers and restrooms, health plan discounts, wellness programs, high definition TVs and more.

• Free pass: New customers can try Anytime Fitness free for seven days. Simply visit their website and fill out a free pass request form.

• Fitness classes: Many Anytime Fitness locations offer group fitness classes including Zumba, spinning, cardio, body conditioning classes, yoga and more.

• Equipment: Available equipment varies by location, but most Anytime Fitness gyms offer treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, stair climbers, free weights, lateral trainers and more.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Anytime Fitness Company Information