Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.17/5

Fitness for Women

Lucille Roberts Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

The Forest Hills location general manager is no good. I spoke to her and she lied and said there is no charge of $7.33 a month. Then to cancel they said the credit card is not working and I have to bring in one. I said use the one on file. Then they said they needed another card number which made no sense.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Do not ever give them your credit card information because they will keep charging your card without justification. I tried to talk to HILARY **, staff of Flushing branch and she is so arrogant and does not even want to let you explain. The staff in that branch are racist to Asians. Very rude.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Terrible experience, attempting to cancel a membership with a doctor's note. I became a member in September 2017. In April 2018 I found out that I will require a surgery that will prevent me from working out for at least 12 months. I followed the information on the contract, and provided a doctor's letter specifying that I will not be able to workout for at least a year. I made a trip to Manhattan stopped by the Grand Central Club, gave them the letter, only to be told, literally in those words: "This is fake!"

The doctor's signature, license information, letterhead was all there, while the club manager stood there without as much as a blink of an eye and accused me of engaging in fraudulent activities. She then had the audacity to demand that I get the doctor to handwrite this information on a prescription note and bring it back. Please note, before I filed a complaint with the BBB I reached out to HereToHelp@tsiclubs.com an email address that is on the lucilleroberts.com website. I explained my situation, I received a reply that they are apologizing for the mistreatment and didn't do anything else. In short, there is absolutely no way to cancel your contract with them. They behave unethically and will force you to pay.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I went into the gym and canceled my membership. Few months later they told I owed them money and they couldnt cancel my membership unless it was paid off first. Very unprofessional staff, very rude with an attitude. At this point don't know what to do, they won't cancel and it's just accumulating more late fees and monthly dues.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Contacted Lucille Roberts by telephone to cancel membership. I was advised that I needed to come to the office to sign cancellation documents. I stopped by the gym location on Steinway Astoria N.Y and was told that there were no documents to sign, and that there was not any documents at the current location. I would be contacted by a Manager on Monday February 12, 2018. I explained to the customer service rep that this was unacceptable and that I wanted my membership canceled as of today February 10, 2018. Lucille Roberts is currently processing unauthorized transactions on multiple credit card accounts against the member's will. Please take care of this matter promptly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lucille Roberts?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I called the Steinway center today to find out why my credit card was still being charged after my 16yr old canceled her year membership. The staff told me to call the main number. After being on hold for 35 minutes the person on the other line said there was no record of the cancellation. I asked to speak to a manager. So was put on hold for another 12 minutes. The person on the line had the gut to say that teenagers are not responsible as she was telling me the call was never made. They sure thought she was when they signed a contract with a 16 year old! I told her that she canceled at the center and she said she would have had to call them to do so.

How was my daughter supposed to know that if she is not told? I asked for a refund of the last three months. They can clearly see she stopped going exactly three months ago! They refused. Not only did they refuse but I'm appalled at the fact that they are charging for this month even though the call was made today on the 5th! They are openly charging for a full month. How can the Better Business Bureau allow such practices? I'm truly disappointed at the way this is handled and the poor customer service of this business. Even if the contract renews on its own which is apparently what happened, how can they do that with minors?? This is truly troubling.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

These is the worst people ever. They just want to steal your money. After 3 years they are telling me that I my daughter, 13 years old has a balance of $280? Please be aware of them. How can they open a membership to a minor??? Customer service is the worst. 20 to 30 minutes wait.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

When I signed up with Lucille Roberts at first, I didn't have a problem with them and I was living in NJ at the time. Once I moved to Brooklyn, I wanted to cancel my membership with them and they gave me such a runaround! I kept sending them letters to cancel since there was not a number to call and nothing came of it. They still kept billing me, and when I wanted to go back to the location to pay off the dues and cancel the membership, it had become a nail salon! Doesn't exist anymore! Just tired of them and their games!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

18 months ago I opened up a membership in a location in NJ. To my luck that location was closed about 2 months later. Yes I was given the option in going to another location or canceling the membership. Because the closest location to me was not anywhere near me I canceled the membership or so I thought...

Fast forward until a week ago. My sheer luck I noticed on my bank statements that I was still paying for a membership at Lucille Roberts. So for the past 18 months this company has been collecting my monthly dues without any notice that my membership is still active. They have collected close to $300 from me in the past 18 months, but I have not use any of their facilities or gotten any service through them whatsoever.

I called 18 months ago the NY number, spoke to a girl there. She assured me that my account will be canceled. IT WAS NOT. I was still paying... I called today, spoke to Daniel at customer service which was no help at all stating that it was basically my problem, that my account was still open and that if I did call 18 months ago that they would have a record of that call. Well I did call and they don't have a record of that call and somehow that is my problem. Daniel was not getting anywhere repeating the same thing over and over again, not wanting to hear what I was saying. All I'm asking is for my money back because I did not use their services but all I got was "no you are wrong and nothing can be done, never mind".

Maybe they should step back and think that mistakes happen and maybe the employee that I spoke to was incompetent in doing her job, because if she was I would not have been charged $300 dollars for something I didn't use. I asked to speak to a manager because I was not getting anywhere with Daniel. That's when Sean got on the line, which was worse than Daniel. He spoke to me in a very condescending way, saying that they have no records of me ever calling and he can't do anything for me. When I asked for him to look at the activity on my account so he can see that I haven't used any of the locations, he blatantly said "So what. That doesn't prove anything." Now if I knew I still had an account I may have use it some time through the 18 months.

I am really disgusted the way people think they can treat other people. What happened to customer service and the customer is right. I guess Lucille Roberts does not believe in that or at least treat the customer with respect. That would go a long way when these customer service reps speak to customers. So if you are reading this and you are thinking about opening a membership with this company DON'T do it. It will save you aggravation and money. I will never join or recommend this gym to anyone.

Original review: May 13, 2016

The manager (Naz) is very rude and unprofessional, discusses employees personal matter with other employees and clients of the gym. She also speaks down to her employees and has no sense of business ethics and violates multiple human resource policies.

Lucille Roberts expert review by Joey Thurman

Lucille Roberts founded a gym for women in New York City in 1969. It began as an aerobics studio and now features cardio, strength training and group fitness classes of many kinds.

• Group fitness: Lucille Roberts gyms emphasize group fitness classes, offering a broader selection than most other gyms. Boot Camp & Kickboxing classes include Piloxing, Kick Boot Camp and Chick Boxing. Cross Training & Total Body classes include Pound, P-90X, Insanity and HIIT. Belly Dancing, Afro-Caribbean Dance and Zumba are some of the dance-themed options. Other classes include Butt & Gutt, Pi Yo, Kinetics and Pilates.

• Money back guarantee: Lucille Roberts offers new customers a two week trial period when they join online. If they are not satisfied with their membership for any reason, they receive a full refund.

• Babysitting available: Many Lucille Roberts locations offer childcare. This can make exercise more convenient for mothers.

• Tiered plans: Most locations have membership fees of around $20-30 per month. Customers receive a discount for annual contracts but have the option for month-to-month payments.

• Free trial: New customers can try Lucille Roberts gyms for three days at no cost and with no obligation. Simply fill out a guest pass request form online.

• Best for: women interested in women’s-only fitness in New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Lucille Roberts Company Information