Fitness for Women

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Lucille Roberts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lucille Roberts?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lucille Roberts?

Original review: July 5, 2017

I called the Steinway center today to find out why my credit card was still being charged after my 16yr old canceled her year membership. The staff told me to call the main number. After being on hold for 35 minutes the person on the other line said there was no record of the cancellation. I asked to speak to a manager. So was put on hold for another 12 minutes. The person on the line had the gut to say that teenagers are not responsible as she was telling me the call was never made. They sure thought she was when they signed a contract with a 16 year old! I told her that she canceled at the center and she said she would have had to call them to do so.

How was my daughter supposed to know that if she is not told? I asked for a refund of the last three months. They can clearly see she stopped going exactly three months ago! They refused. Not only did they refuse but I'm appalled at the fact that they are charging for this month even though the call was made today on the 5th! They are openly charging for a full month. How can the Better Business Bureau allow such practices? I'm truly disappointed at the way this is handled and the poor customer service of this business. Even if the contract renews on its own which is apparently what happened, how can they do that with minors?? This is truly troubling.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

These is the worst people ever. They just want to steal your money. After 3 years they are telling me that I my daughter, 13 years old has a balance of $280? Please be aware of them. How can they open a membership to a minor??? Customer service is the worst. 20 to 30 minutes wait.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

When I signed up with Lucille Roberts at first, I didn't have a problem with them and I was living in NJ at the time. Once I moved to Brooklyn, I wanted to cancel my membership with them and they gave me such a runaround! I kept sending them letters to cancel since there was not a number to call and nothing came of it. They still kept billing me, and when I wanted to go back to the location to pay off the dues and cancel the membership, it had become a nail salon! Doesn't exist anymore! Just tired of them and their games!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

18 months ago I opened up a membership in a location in NJ. To my luck that location was closed about 2 months later. Yes I was given the option in going to another location or canceling the membership. Because the closest location to me was not anywhere near me I canceled the membership or so I thought...

Fast forward until a week ago. My sheer luck I noticed on my bank statements that I was still paying for a membership at Lucille Roberts. So for the past 18 months this company has been collecting my monthly dues without any notice that my membership is still active. They have collected close to $300 from me in the past 18 months, but I have not use any of their facilities or gotten any service through them whatsoever.

I called 18 months ago the NY number, spoke to a girl there. She assured me that my account will be canceled. IT WAS NOT. I was still paying... I called today, spoke to Daniel at customer service which was no help at all stating that it was basically my problem, that my account was still open and that if I did call 18 months ago that they would have a record of that call. Well I did call and they don't have a record of that call and somehow that is my problem. Daniel was not getting anywhere repeating the same thing over and over again, not wanting to hear what I was saying. All I'm asking is for my money back because I did not use their services but all I got was "no you are wrong and nothing can be done, never mind".

Maybe they should step back and think that mistakes happen and maybe the employee that I spoke to was incompetent in doing her job, because if she was I would not have been charged $300 dollars for something I didn't use. I asked to speak to a manager because I was not getting anywhere with Daniel. That's when Sean got on the line, which was worse than Daniel. He spoke to me in a very condescending way, saying that they have no records of me ever calling and he can't do anything for me. When I asked for him to look at the activity on my account so he can see that I haven't used any of the locations, he blatantly said "So what. That doesn't prove anything." Now if I knew I still had an account I may have use it some time through the 18 months.

I am really disgusted the way people think they can treat other people. What happened to customer service and the customer is right. I guess Lucille Roberts does not believe in that or at least treat the customer with respect. That would go a long way when these customer service reps speak to customers. So if you are reading this and you are thinking about opening a membership with this company DON'T do it. It will save you aggravation and money. I will never join or recommend this gym to anyone.

Original review: May 13, 2016

The manager (Naz) is very rude and unprofessional, discusses employees personal matter with other employees and clients of the gym. She also speaks down to her employees and has no sense of business ethics and violates multiple human resource policies.

Original review: April 30, 2016

I am so upset that the gym charged me so much money. They advertise that it was only 1 dollar to joining, but it is really 33 dollars. In addition, the gym charges $45 every 3 months. The lady at the front counter told me that I could get a No Commitment plan and pay no money when I decide to cancel. However, when I tired to cancel today they gave me 2 options. Option one for them to charge me another month or pay $15. This joining for $1 is a scam. I should've not joined in when she said $33 instead of $1. I am just going to do my YouTube videos. I already lost 50 pounds without going to the gym.

Original review: April 10, 2016

Lucille Roberts has the absolute worst customer service Office. Went to the Astoria gym and the women who worked there were extremely helpful but the customer service office is horrible! I had to call them to cancel my membership because I moved out of the area and the women were rude, nasty and disrespectful. I asked to speak to a manager and was told to call back. When I asked to have her call me back I was told "I'm not telling her to call you. She just going to tell you the same ** I did. If you want to talk to her call back in a half hour". Yeah, seriously. I did call back and the manager was just as nasty. I called the Astoria staff and luckily they were able to help me. Never again!

Original review: March 29, 2016

I have submitted two (2) complaints against them for billing and communication practices with the BBB, which went unanswered. I spoke with "Colette" on a few occasions and alerted her to the conversation I have on record with the person who identified themselves as the manager "Ashley" in the Clifton, NJ location. I was told back on or around Oct 13, 2015 that my membership was cancelled. Received no notifications or correspondences for approximately 2 months, but was then subsequently and mysteriously billed. The fact that LR never responded to the BBB complaint to resolve the matter has now been publicly posted on the BBB's website and has been forwarded to the NY State Consumer Protection Dept. It's surprising that not only was their rep "Colette" rude, abrasive and condescending with no human willingness to assist, but obviously "Ashley" conveyed improper information to me, which I am unfairly being penalized for.

I had hoped that LR would have been better regarding communication and would have a willingness to resolve the matter, but they obviously have no ethics. All the "smiles" you get when you first join them quickly go away should you end up hurt and have to cancel or stop your membership. I am going to take this complaint as far as I can legally go because at some point, SOMEONE has to be somewhat honorable within that entire company.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I have complained on several occasions to the on site manager (Lily) of the location at 42nd Street in NYC about many (5-7) workout machines where the audio either doesn't work or has major static. Over 5 weeks, the issue has not been resolved. I have escalated this up the chain to the upper management who has not returned my calls or replied to my emails. Awful service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2016

I recently signed up for a pre-paid one year membership at the Forest Hills NY locations as gift for someone via one of the most painful process ever. After reviewing the fees on their website, I decided to personally visit the Forest Hills, NY location to purchase my membership gift. This process took almost two hour due to a major price difference on what the sales agent wanted to charge versus what was quoted online. The sales agent could not explain the price disparity. I kept insisting but she refused. At this point, I insisted on speaking to a manager, but that went nowhere fast. Being that this was a Christmas Gift, I went along with the purchase and told by the sales person that I have two weeks to cancel without a penalty.

I am now trying to cancel the membership due to the members work conflict and travel schedule and so far have not been able to do so. The contract period is from January 16, 2016 to January of 2017. I have made several phone calls to the customer service number provided and was told that they do not offer cancellation for pre-paid membership. I am now stuck with a costly one year membership that no one can use. I will continue to try and get this resolved and take a penalty if necessary, but I can't seem to find anyone that can help. Their website does not offer helpful answers and their customer support is rude and not very helpful.

Lucille Roberts Company Information