1.40/5

Las Vegas, NV

55 Las Vegas Athletic Clubs Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

When we first joined, we were told that if we had to cancel it would just be $35. Unfortunately, it was not until now that we read the 2 year contact and saw that it says $50 to cancel and we are not allowed to cancel unless we move very far away. We are moving out of state but they require that we submit proof of utility payments or something?!? We are unable to do that since we are traveling to different Airbnb’s for the next 6 months (across the county) then relocating to a different state afterwards. They will not allow us to cancel since we will no longer be living in this state, this is ridiculous!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I was previously with LVAC and used my 2-year contract up and then canceled as I left town. It was an awful relationship during those 2 years but I made it work. When I came back to town I signed up again. I was told I could cancel for $50 (I was also told this my first go around so I did not misunderstand or hear incorrectly). I called to cancel because I never go because it is inconvenient (location wise), overly crowded for when I can go and the people have gotten rude (employees not gym goers). I was told I had to pay my contract in full less 25%. I brought up the 50$ thing and was told that is not anything they do and to review my contract. If it is not something they offer why did I get told it twice and it appears a ton of other people have the same issue. My younger sister canceled her contract for $35 and she was about 8 months into it. Complete BS.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2018

In an attempt to lower my monthly membership costs by $8 a month by switching from $35 a month that included a poor towel service, one size and coarse feeling against your skin. A body fat and training in person guide that was useless in my case. Reducing these 3 amenities to $26 a month was then going to incur another charge of $35 just to switch it. This is after 3 weeks of being a member in total. I paid the $99 to not have a contract because who signs a contract for anything anymore (26 months is theirs).

Do the math yourselves if you must. My complaint is simple. Like many companies try to overcharge naive customers by including it into a contract no one would read nor understand and not explaining it during the initial sign up. My goal is to stop Las Vegas Athletic Club from overcharging all members. Including American Veterans with Disabilities. This review will be sent to BBB, ADA.gov, YELP, FACEBOOK, and every other online review possible.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Some guy made my husband sign a contract and told us that it's just 5 dollars and you can decide within a month whether you want to continue coming, but after that day we did not go to the gym. After 2 months we get a call saying that you are into a contract that has your sign on it and we cannot help it. Either pay the amount or we will send it to collections. Ridiculous behavior by the management when we told them the situation. I don't know where to make a complaint about this.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Unbelievable. This place is fraudulent. They will continue to charge your credit card, and refuse to reimburse. Total crooks. And the customer service people basically laugh in your face about it. NEVER CONSIDER JOINING, regardless of if you like the facility (way too crowded), or expect to just keep paying whether you use it or not. Sucks I have to give it a star, it deserves a zero. Absolute worst management you could ever imagine, they must not have souls. If an attorney is considering class action against these crooks, please feel free to contact me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Las Vegas Athletic Clubs?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

The gym is nice, but it is often overcrowded, so after our two year contract was up, we switched to a smaller gym. Oddly enough, we're still getting aggressive calls about renewal. It's ridiculous honestly. I blocked their number but this morning the blocking app reported 7 calls from them in like a one minute time frame. Our last payment was in November so we only had that one month left and when it was over we left. I'm not sure what's going on with them but it's annoying.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I've been a member of LVAC since 2011. They have always had the newest equipment and strive to keep it in good working order. As an example, last year they replaced ALL of their old spin machines with brand new ones. Their classes are top notch... HEAT, the Les Mills classes, Kettlebells, all really well run with good strong instructors. Is it busy sometimes? Yep, just like every gym, but if you want a great gym at a great price, this is the place.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I joined hoping that swimming would help my multiple sclerosis. I am unable to lift weights or run/treadmill. I used the membership for 9 months but my MS has progressed and I can no longer swim. I went to cancel and brought a doctor’s note that said I was disabled. The very young woman behind the counter kept saying the word "contract" and then said "I never heard of multiple sclerosis. Is it serious?". Really. I am disabled and they refuse to cancel my account. I am close to having to live in a wheelchair. Should I bring that into the gym and then drop myself into the pool with dead legs and no lifeguard? I take 3 pain pills per day. I cannot utilize this gym anymore and they don’t care about disabled individuals.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I read through the reviews on LVAC. Most of them were negative. Quite a few of them mentioned the used-car-salespersonish vibe of the staff at LVAC. Many focused on what appeared to be the underhanded and unethical tactics LVAC either tacitly tolerates or actively encourages with respect to their contract terms, esp when it comes to cancellations. However, the newest LVAC in North Las Vegas on Decatur is closer to my house than my current gym and looks nice from the outside. So, I went to visit with all of that in mind. On my first visit, I can confirm that the salesperson giving me the tour, in my opinion, very much fit the bill of a high-pressure salesperson that I'd expect to encounter on a used car lot. The gym, at about noon on a weekday, was very crowded. I told the salesperson that I thought the gym was very crowded.

He laughed and said "this isn't crowded". I replied, "Dude, this is super-crowded. I've gone to gyms all over the country for the last 30 years. This is crowded." It was odd to me that the salesperson attempted to brush off the idea that an obviously crowded gym wasn't crowded. If that wasn't crowded (according to him), I'd hate to see it when it is crowded. No thanks. After he departed, I did a shoulder workout there using dumbbells for a portion of it. There were so many people that it was difficult to even approach the dumbbell rack and even more difficult to find a spot to perform my exercise (forward dumbbell raises in this case, for example). The crowding made me appreciate that maybe belonging to a gym with a slightly higher price point (I currently belong to 24-Hour Fitness) is a positive because it tends to reduce the crowding to a more manageable level.

I went back a second time yesterday because my girlfriend wanted to check it out. When I left LVAC after my first visit, the salesperson on the way out, gave me a one-day pass for two people (they force you to visit the sales office after your trial work out because they take your driver's license while you're working out). This time, the salesperson, Dawn, who "greeted" us, also proved to be shifty. I told her that I was concerned about the cancellation and auto-renew clauses in the contract. I explained that I had read through quite a few LVAC reviews and many of them complained about LVAC's apparently unethical conduct with regards to the contract.

She rolled her eyes and explained that she had worked at LVAC for more than 20 years and that "all you have to do" is physically go into the downtown office and present your papers, pay the $50 fee, and you're canceled - easy-peasy. She went on to assert that the people complaining about it must have tried to cancel after they moved and did not physically go to the office. Regardless, she said, she had never heard of anyone being concerned about the cancellation policy or the auto-renew feature. Hmm - another LVAC salesperson attempting to brush off my concerns and make me feel a little off for having concerns. Not cool. In the world of psychology, they call Dawn's tactics "gaslighting": "it attempts to destabilize the target and de-legitimize the target's belief".

So I told her not to do that. I raised my hand and told her those are my concerns and if she hadn't heard them before, she's hearing them now from me. I told her that if I was going to sign a contract, I would want to write in my own language clarifying the cancellation and auto-renew policies. She laughed under her breath. It took everything I had to not lash out verbally. That about did it for me, but I figured since I was there, I'd get the free work out in. This time, a Sunday afternoon at about 3 pm, the gym was not exceptionally crowded but even then, it was a little bit difficult to find space to do a couple of exercises - deadlifts, for example. The cardio equipment there is LifeFitness. It is nice. And they have Hammer Strength, which is a plus in my opinion.

On the way out, we again had to retrieve our driver's licenses. As they were pulling them from their file, I asked if I could have a blank, voided copy of the contract to take home to review. The salesperson (a different guy this time) told me that they were not allowed to do that. He said I could review it there at the gym. To me, that is absolutely sketchy to not allow a potential customer that opportunity. And with that, I was D - O - N - E with LVAC. LVAC very much matches the tone of the negative reviews I read about it. LVAC - sketchy, shady, unethical, unprofessional operation that is too crowded. But, if you don't mind any of that, they have some nice equipment. My recommendation - avoid LVAC.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I recently moved out of Nevada and before I left I contacted LVAC to cancel my membership. I went to the gym and was given a phone number for the headquarters. It took several tries to get a human that would not transfer me to automatic information that kept telling me what I needed to cancel. I am still trying to cancel this waste of money... Does anyone out there know a way to get these crooks to actually stop taking your money. It's bad enough that when I got the membership I told them I didn't want a membership contract and 4 times they told me I was only signing for my gym card... Now I can't seem to get them to STOP taking my money... Any help would be appreciated.

Las Vegas Athletic Clubs Company Information