2.79/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

111 Vitacost Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I LOVE shopping the Vitacost site. They have super fast online shipping, excellent prices on their products, wonderful sales, and free shipping on order over $49. If you have problems, customer service has always been quick to resolve problems. Ordered one morning and order was shipped and RECEIVED by next afternoon!! OUTSTANDING!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have now had four orders from Vitacost in less than 2 years show up with broken bottles, leaking all over everything. Each time I report it, they change their policy on how to get my money back. This last time, a large bottle of tamarind sauce (soy sauce essentially) came a broken mess. The shipper left it on a cushion outside and ruined the cushion. Everything else in the package was ruined. It was 26F outside and my husband and I had to deal with the mess on New Year Eve in the snow, as we couldn't bring the package inside due to leaking.

We took photos, did everything they asked for and all they did was refund under $4 for the soy sauce and have refused to cover anything else, including our ruined cushion, which is an $80 expense. I will never buy from them again. They are fine unless something comes ruined, and then they go out of their way to ignore you, and when you do get a hold of them, they blame the problem they caused by not packing correctly on the customer. Worst customer service ever.

Get expert buying tips about Vitamins Online delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Any positive review must be fake. Just beware. I ordered 2 quantity of 12 bags of chips so I should have received 24 bags total. They canceled one of my orders but still charged me the same price. They don't tell you if an order is cancelled. I found out by logging back into the site and the funny thing is the site didn't show I ordered 2 quantity of 12. It's like that 2nd quantity disappeared and no proof from me aside from my own eyes would know. They didn't send an order confirmation (shady) but their shipping email did show 2 quantity of 12 but they refused to acknowledge it. The guy I talked to on online chat ignored my question then abruptly ended the chat because I wouldn't drop the issue! This company is going to go out of business or face a lawsuit one day. I'll be laughing when it does.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I’ve purchased from Vitacost for many years, and they are a very good company. Always a good supply of items, their house brand is very good, and they stand behind their products. On the few occasions I’ve had to contact them with issues, they have always made things right, even when it was actually my fault. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This was the first time to order food supplements online and from Vitacost. I usually order products from Amazon but I found their prices a little too high for the product I wanted. So, I decided to take a risk and get it from an unknown company to me based in Florida! To my amazement, the package arrived sooner than expected and imagine over the weekend! I ordered it on Friday, December 28, 2018 in the morning and it arrived around 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 30, 2018. I rarely give 5 stars, but this time Vitacost can have it! My order was shipped from Lexington, NC and arrived in a very good condition in Manassas, VA. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vitacost?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Recently I had reordered Natural Astaxanthin and several other vitamins. When I opened the Astaxanthin all the capsules were covered in an oily red mess. I thought one of the caps must of ruptured. But closer inspection showed that most of the caps were coming apart. I couldn't think of how this might have happened, then I checked the sell by date. It was over 6 months after this jars expiration date. This was quite a shock, out of curiosity I checked the other vitamin I take every day. Over half of them were way beyond their exp. dates. Over the years I have been switching over to the Vitacost brands to save a little and had never before looked at the exp. date on any of them. Now I'm wondering just what I might have been taking for the last 10 years. If a company is sell their out of date merchandise how does one know if it is really what it claims to be.

Just a little background; I take 15 different vitamins daily, 2 omega3 oils, 3 mineral supplements. Some are name brands, most are Vitacost brands. All over the out of date jars were Vitacost, none were national brands. I was so shocked by this experience that I will never shop Vitacost again. My health is not worth my health. I do not trust Vitacost.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have purchased vitamins, supplements, food/spices and beauty products for 10 years. Some were name brand, others Vitacost brand. I've been happy with all product and they have great customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been ordering from this company (AZ & NM) for about 10 years maybe more. Their name products seem to be OK and other name brand products are discounted. There were no sales taxes charged until this month's order. It was the full local area tax not the state basic sales tax. I live in Prescott AZ area. I can't contact them at present by phone. I'm guessing because Kroger food stores have purchased the Vitacost company, we must pay sales taxes due to the Kroger stores in our area. Maybe I will order just enough to get free shipping and keep the taxes down! Oh well. It was a great deal but now it's not!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I made a few purchases on the Vitacost site during the web sale. My family and I ordered a few ON Protein Powders and receive ON Mint Protein Cake Bites. We received 4 and all of them are bad, nothing like the actual product it is suppose to be! They expire in January 2019, that's not horrible! 1 month to consume them. The fact you scammed me thinking we are getting a good deal for crusty ** items.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Placed an order for 7 items. Received two shipments, each of which said my 7th item was in another shipment. Look for third shipment/package but could not find. Went to website and discovered 5th item was cancelled - not by me but by Vitacost. Looked up item on their website and it showed item was in stock. Went to customer service chat to complain. Was told item "arrived on last night's truck". Wasn't sure I really believed them, but ok. Would you please send me the item? They would not fulfill my original order because the order was closed. Now I have to pay for shipping again. I complained. They did give me a coupon so I didn't have to pay for shipping on my reorder but I found the whole experience unpleasant. Items out of stock should automatically go and backorder and an email should be sent to the customer with the expected delivery date and an option to cancel the backorder.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I contacted Vitacost thru e-mail. They didn't respond. In the next day I contact them thru the chat and explain about sales tax they charge, but on the ad says no tax and free shipping? They says they cannot do it nothing. On the following day they send me a shipping created, for only two item, not for all stuff. What do I order, looks like the item out the stock. Still didn't received anything. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I placed my order on Monday, November 19th at 4:00 pm, and by 10:30 am Tuesday, November 20th my order was at my front door. It traveled from Lexington, N.C. to Richmond, Va. -- a distance of 245 miles in 18.5 hours. The packaging was perfect; everything was carefully arranged in little bags, and/or within sanctioned cardboard protectors. As an environmentalist, I actually think the Vitacost may be too careful (but, I do save and reuse all of their packaging). I give them an A+ for excellent service. I am writing because I do not understand any negative ratings others may have given. I know from working in a service industry myself, that some people can never be pleased. They were born to complain, and they will expire that way.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have ordered from Vitacost several times. They have been amazingly helpful and informative. 2 items were not in stock and they were very helpful, offering to notify me when they became available. When I thought one item had not been delivered, they immediately offered to send it at no cost to me. When I found it a few minutes later and called to let them know, they were very gracious and helpful. I have been very impressed with the quality of the products they sell, their pricing and service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is a trustworthy company. They do not resell brands that are not authentic. You can count on getting the product you ordered and the companies providing them to this company are confident. They are represented accurately. This is unlike some other online offerings. I have only had one situation where an item had a problem that stemmed from the manufacturer. They were considerate, caring and immediately sent out a replacement. I mean immediately, I could not believe it.

I have never had issues with them, all good. I order monthly so I would know. Their items are very well packed, the items are all new and my confidence level to order from them is very high. I recently learned that all items on Amazon are not directly from the companies and when you see the company name, it does not mean it comes from the actual company. With this, the quality can vary and all independent sellers are not great. This is not the case with Vitacost. I have been using them for years now.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I contacted Vitacost to explain a $4 sales tax on $25. Sales tax in GA is %4 to %6. For a simple order, two products, $25, they almost charged me $10 for shipping and tax. The Rep gave no clear reason or understanding.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I made the mistake of ordering from this company once and they harass me with glossy catalogs and mailers and I have contacted customer service multiple times and they refuse to help me or make it stop without jumping through a bunch of hoops, but then the mail just starts again after a few months. I tried to write "refused, return to sender" on some of them, but the slimeballs just removed the return address from their glossy flyers so I can't send the garbage back to the creeps. Avoid this company at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been buying from Vitacost many years and have always been happy with the products and service. There are good promotions and coupons available. I live in CA so my orders typically arrive in 1 day. The orders come with the courier OnTrac and they deliver the boxes up a steep driveway to my door, very nice! Occasionally an item arrives damaged and Vitacost replaces or refunds it as soon as I inform them. I am surprised to see the negative reviews, but no company is perfect. I noticed one complaint was regarding the CA Prop 65 warning that appeared "only" on Vitacost products. I wanted to point out this warning shows up on many name brand products I buy, such as NOW Foods and others.

One company I called stated that even if one ingredient in their vitamins might possibly require the warning label, they just put the warning label on to cover themselves. The actual CA Prop 65 website states many companies apply the warning to protect themselves legally, even though there's no ingredients requiring the warning. I do have one concern now that I read a complaint about the "Best Buy" date on Vitacost brand nut butters. I looked at my VC Almond Butter and yup, the Best Buy date was 4 months after I purchased them.

I had stocked up and I would never be able to eat it all in 4 months, name brands usually have a longer date. I let Vitacost know I think the Best Buy date is too short and had I known, I would not have stocked up. They refunded my money on one order and replaced the product on another order with a fresher batch. I'll just make sure to not stock up so much next time, the dates seem to typically be 4-5 months out from date of purchase (based on mine and my sister's orders).

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I made a purchase last night and this morning woke to an email that says part of my order was canceled because it was out of stock. I messaged a representative who told me it was out of stock on the west coast and that I would have to call the east coast warehouse and purchase it separately from them. I called and purchased it over the phone. I received a confirmation email, then an hour later, received another email, again saying it was canceled because it was out of stock. I call again and the woman was very rude and told me that there was only one of what I purchased available and someone else bought it right before me.

I'm sorry, but I purchased it the night before... It should have been sent to me. She told me there was nothing she could do. I told her I don't want to do business with their company and wanted to cancel my order. She then told me it has already shipped so there's nothing I can do besides return my order when I receive it. I told her I have not gotten any confirmation that it has shipped l, so she said "well it has. There's nothing I can do for you". Meanwhile, the full first order price is pending on my bank account, along with the payment I had to make over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

First, the good: Competitive pricing. 2-day shipping from order to door. Spectacular deals if you sign up for their weekly newsletters. Some deals as much as $10 off any order or 30% off. Second, the bad: all the Vitacost products (at least for me) didn't work. I tried other brands and most had worked. Last, the ugly: Several Vitacost brand products were prompted the Proposition 65 warning during checkout, but other brands didn't. Again... avoid the Vitacost brand products. Other than that, as long as you're not buying Vitacost brand products, VitaCost is a great site for your supplements needs. Takeaway #1: Avoid Vitacost brand products. Takeaway #2: Sign up for their newsletter, and you will receive weekly offers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Vitacost uses Lasership an inferior delivery service! Lasership hires less than desirable people. I've watched this same person deliver packages to my home for some time. He saunters up the driveway to 5 steps (too lazy to walk up the steps) and pitches the box on to the porch. Same scenario every time! Yesterday he was forced to walk up the steps because of the size of the box. He threw the box down in the pouring rain. This was a $629.00 order (typical) of vitamins and perishables from Vitacost. This box sat in the pouring rain without a protective (plastic) cover. This box was taking on water like the Titanic. I was able to salvage almost everything. I should never have had to clean up this mess!

Based on the numerous complaints against Lasership I'm surprised a reputable company like Vitacost or any other company would continue using their inferior service. UPS & FedEx use plastic bags when it's raining. Vitacost informed me that I can choose a different carrier. I contacted Lasership to no avail! They could care less! I'm considering a return to iHerb. They use high quality delivery services. The rating should be 1/100 of a star! If you're a Vitacost customer I highly recommend using UPS or FedEx. You'll be glad you did!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Either these people are as stupid as a box of rocks or they're just ** on purpose but DO NOT give these ** ANY money. They like to screw people on the shipping and parse it out so you get one bottle on one day, another bottle 4-days later, etc. Trouble is, I DID NOT KNOW THIS IS THE WAY THEY OPERATE. Now I have to leave the U.S. for more than a year and my order -- which should have arrived today -- won't be here until almost a week AFTER we leave the country. I reached out to them for an explanation and they didn't have one. They also charged me $4.00 for NOTHING, so I didn't get a complete refund but they said to look for my money in 3-5 business days. What a bunch of jerks, man.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I recently made my first purchase on Vitacost.com, and it was truly the best decision I made. Healthy foods can be SO expensive, especially at the health food stores in my area. Therefore, the wide variety of products, the prices, and the coupons available on Vitacost really drew me in. I am shocked by all of the negative reviews because my experience was the complete opposite. I ordered quite a few items late on Tuesday night, and my box arrived on Thursday!!! I was in awe!!! I was also very impressed with how my items were packaged. Sturdy box, taped up well, no spills, and fantastic organization inside the box. I could not be happier. I am hopeful I will continue to have great experiences with Vitacost, and will order from them again, without a doubt!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Frequent orderer. Only once was there an error; Vitacost fixed it immediately. Today, my order started out at just over $170. I applied TWO promo codes, and it dropped to just under $110. Pretty good savings!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have never written a review about any company or product, but I feel compelled to do so after reading some negative reviews about Vitacost. I have been ordering from this company for many years, and have had nothing but positive experiences with every order I have placed. If there is any problem at all, customer service takes care of it immediately, and every person I have dealt with has been extremely nice and personable. I highly recommend Vitacost for quality products at reasonable prices.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

A supplement was left off my $600+ order. When I called customer service the woman told me "oh well, you'll have to go online and reorder"! "Oh well"?! Not appropriate language for a good c.s. agent. I explained I would not get free shipping on 1 product. Again... "oh well". I asked to speak to a supervisor and she would not transfer me. I'm not telling my version of the story... this is actually what happened. I wrote c.s. online citing their own motto "If something's wrong with your order we will make it right". The response sent said, "We will give you a $5.00 coupon towards the product, but you still must pay shipping"!!! I've won national customer service awards, this is not how you handle a problem. They lost my business as well as my friends and family. Mr. Horowitz (CEO) was unattainable.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I ordered several jars of peanut butter for a really good price. I checked the expiration dates (best by date, BBD) on the jars of PB and they were one month away from expiration. I contacted Vitacost and they said that they had no replacement jars to send me as they had no jars with later BBDs so they refunded my money. I was stunned. I've been ordering from them on and off for years and never checked the BBDs. I now wonder if all of their products are so cheap because they source them at a discount because they are close to their BBD. I've chosen to not buy from them anymore as they have lost my trust. If you buy from Vitacost, I recommend checking every expiration date on every product.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I loved Vitacost and the delivery company they use here in AZ. From what I read, I think that if you live in the west and get your stuff from LV you are happy. It seems to be the Florida arm that is so bad. Also - I have noticed since Kroger bought them they are deteriorating. By that I mean, several of the harder to find products I used to love, have been discontinued. So they are using the Kroger model of just carrying products that are very popular. This pattern is so discouraging. They don't understand what they bought - maybe just trying to eliminate competition.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Vitacost had the products that I was looking for at a price that was below the competition with fast and free shipping with orders of $25.00 or more when you buy Vitacost products. I place my order on Thursday and it arrived on Friday. Very smooth transaction. I will buy from Vitacost.com again. Thank you Vitacost.

Original review: July 14, 2018

When I clicked the submit button I had two different collagen products and 1 potassium product. When the order was shipped it had 2 potassium products and 1 collagen. I thought the second collagen was too cheap to be true. I believe they gave me two potassium in place of the collagen. Won't order from them again.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I ordered multiple boxes of tea from Vitacost via Amazon. I never received this order. When I called to check they said it had been delivered which I checked and was correct. However I had not received them. The person that I talked with said to check this that and another. All things I had already checked. They refused even a partial refund or a new order at a discount. I will Never shop with them again!!

Vitacost Company Information