2.49/5

125 Vitacost Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I placed my order on Monday, November 19th at 4:00 pm, and by 10:30 am Tuesday, November 20th my order was at my front door. It traveled from Lexington, N.C. to Richmond, Va. -- a distance of 245 miles in 18.5 hours. The packaging was perfect; everything was carefully arranged in little bags, and/or within sanctioned cardboard protectors. As an environmentalist, I actually think the Vitacost may be too careful (but, I do save and reuse all of their packaging). I give them an A+ for excellent service. I am writing because I do not understand any negative ratings others may have given. I know from working in a service industry myself, that some people can never be pleased. They were born to complain, and they will expire that way.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is a trustworthy company. They do not resell brands that are not authentic. You can count on getting the product you ordered and the companies providing them to this company are confident. They are represented accurately. This is unlike some other online offerings. I have only had one situation where an item had a problem that stemmed from the manufacturer. They were considerate, caring and immediately sent out a replacement. I mean immediately, I could not believe it.

I have never had issues with them, all good. I order monthly so I would know. Their items are very well packed, the items are all new and my confidence level to order from them is very high. I recently learned that all items on Amazon are not directly from the companies and when you see the company name, it does not mean it comes from the actual company. With this, the quality can vary and all independent sellers are not great. This is not the case with Vitacost. I have been using them for years now.

Get expert buying tips about Vitamins Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been buying from Vitacost many years and have always been happy with the products and service. There are good promotions and coupons available. I live in CA so my orders typically arrive in 1 day. The orders come with the courier OnTrac and they deliver the boxes up a steep driveway to my door, very nice! Occasionally an item arrives damaged and Vitacost replaces or refunds it as soon as I inform them. I am surprised to see the negative reviews, but no company is perfect. I noticed one complaint was regarding the CA Prop 65 warning that appeared "only" on Vitacost products. I wanted to point out this warning shows up on many name brand products I buy, such as NOW Foods and others.

One company I called stated that even if one ingredient in their vitamins might possibly require the warning label, they just put the warning label on to cover themselves. The actual CA Prop 65 website states many companies apply the warning to protect themselves legally, even though there's no ingredients requiring the warning. I do have one concern now that I read a complaint about the "Best Buy" date on Vitacost brand nut butters. I looked at my VC Almond Butter and yup, the Best Buy date was 4 months after I purchased them.

I had stocked up and I would never be able to eat it all in 4 months, name brands usually have a longer date. I let Vitacost know I think the Best Buy date is too short and had I known, I would not have stocked up. They refunded my money on one order and replaced the product on another order with a fresher batch. I'll just make sure to not stock up so much next time, the dates seem to typically be 4-5 months out from date of purchase (based on mine and my sister's orders).

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

First, the good: Competitive pricing. 2-day shipping from order to door. Spectacular deals if you sign up for their weekly newsletters. Some deals as much as $10 off any order or 30% off. Second, the bad: all the Vitacost products (at least for me) didn't work. I tried other brands and most had worked. Last, the ugly: Several Vitacost brand products were prompted the Proposition 65 warning during checkout, but other brands didn't. Again... avoid the Vitacost brand products. Other than that, as long as you're not buying Vitacost brand products, VitaCost is a great site for your supplements needs. Takeaway #1: Avoid Vitacost brand products. Takeaway #2: Sign up for their newsletter, and you will receive weekly offers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I recently made my first purchase on Vitacost.com, and it was truly the best decision I made. Healthy foods can be SO expensive, especially at the health food stores in my area. Therefore, the wide variety of products, the prices, and the coupons available on Vitacost really drew me in. I am shocked by all of the negative reviews because my experience was the complete opposite. I ordered quite a few items late on Tuesday night, and my box arrived on Thursday!!! I was in awe!!! I was also very impressed with how my items were packaged. Sturdy box, taped up well, no spills, and fantastic organization inside the box. I could not be happier. I am hopeful I will continue to have great experiences with Vitacost, and will order from them again, without a doubt!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vitacost?

Original review: May 17, 2019

First time order from Vitacost and it was the worst. Ordered on May 14th and on May 15th received the order number confirmation. With no word on tracking by EOD 15th, I used the "chat" option in their website in which I spoke with a fellow named Ryan who said my order was never processed on the website due to a "site error". Said that I would have to call in to give authorization to have my card charged. I decided to start my road trip early 7 am 16th (many of the items were for a road trip with my kiddos) and went into my local Walmart to purchase most of the items that I planned on getting from Vitacost. I received an email from Ryan 11 am 16th stating that he was mistaken and that my order would actually be processed and shipped "most likely by tomorrow", which would be Sat 17th. After I'm clear into PA I get an email at 2 pm stating that Vitacost had delivered my shipment. Like... what???

I called to confirm exactly what the heck was going on and got treated as if I had made the mistake. The rep told me that "I should have known that I would get charged if I ordered online". I swiftly told the nitwit, that, this theory would apply HAD I NOT BEEN TOLD BY A REP, that I WAS NOT CHARGED. I shop online for 90% of the items in my home and I guarantee that you can receive and order number but your shipment/items no yet be charged to your card. I spoke with a "manager" who told me that I wouldn't do any good to contact corporate because it would just get routed back to her (manager). Vitacost is now telling me as of 16th, that I would have to wait for Monday 19th to see what is going on with my refund. Disgusting display of customer service, even after CLEAR and cited misinformation from a Vitacost employee.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I tried reordering some vitamins that came to a total of 102.56. The website kept saying that my address is invalid and to update it (even though I ordered from VItacost before to the same address). Each time the site asked me to update my address, they removed $102.56 from my account. A total of 5 times. When I called back today and spoke with Betty, she told me (without getting my account information) not to worry, that this has happened before and the money will be credited to my account. I asked to speak with a supervisor and spoke with Greg, who told me we would call my bank together and that I will answer all of the security questions that my bank asks me (while he is on the phone with me), and then he will tell them to put the money back. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I am contacting BBB, Consumer Affairs and reviewing them on every possible website. There is definitely fraud going on here.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I've ordered from Vitacost every once in a while across the span of the past 2 years and often there were items that arrived damaged. As the company advertises a flexible return policy I contacted their customer support each time I received damaged products. Their support staff treated me like a swindler. It's fascinating they didn't choose to improve the manner in which they package items at the warehouse, because damaged product deliveries continued after I raised my concerns. They also maintained their flexible return policy in this time...and yet I was treated like a second-rate shopper when I wanted them to keep their promise on their company policy. Either aim to deliver intact items or stop antagonizing customers who expect you will follow through on your word.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I used to order from them every month faithfully. Some months back several common items of THEIR OWN brand would always be out of stock. I took a break until today when I logged on to find it's the same. The first three items I looked up to order are out of stock! THEIR OWN dish soap, THEIR OWN toilet bowl cleaner and Mrs. Meyer's laundry scent. The last time I logged on, I wanted some of their own brand of supplements, cinnamon and turmeric... Nope, out! I'm done with Vitacost. Very disappointed they don't have these very common items. See yourself some time and go down to your corner Whole Foods or Sprouts.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Vitacost billed twice for my order. For 2 weeks they claim they are working to resolve it but have done nothing. I have called and emailed multiple times and they still have not refunded my money. Customer service just keeps saying how called their customers are but this is not what anyone expects. I expect to pay for what I purchased...nothing more.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've been shopping at Vitacost for years online and have to say that their customer/order support is among the very best. If I ever had an issue with an item becoming damaged during the shipment process, I'll have to do is report the issue in 15 seconds and I'll be sent a replacement or refund within minutes; I don't even need to go through a lengthy customer support chat just to get this done; you can do this seamlessly within their past order interface. Plus, their prices and selection are among the best for organic, natural products.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I have been a customer for years and never had any issues except for my last 2 orders. First order I ordered many heavy items like flours and dish soap and such, and many small items as well, well when I opened the box, all of the heavy items were on top scattered and squished everything underneath, the flour was not packaged well so it had flour mess all over inside. Second package got it today, the box was actually opened and left on my doorstep, mind you I saw the carrier dropping it off on my ring so I was home, everything inside, scattered again, damaged items inside, not sure what is going on lately but not happy.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Though I’m an Amazon customer I am hesitant to purchase certain items from there because it looked, felt, smelt, fake. So when it comes to leaping bunny certified products I’d rather order from Vitacost. :) Their packaging has always been very thoughtful of the planet at times which I do appreciate. Unlike Amazon plastics galore with their fake items it reminds of cheapy China products and I hope Vitacost won’t ever downgrade to that type of quality. Thank you.

Original review: March 18, 2019

When an overseas shipment failed to arrive within a reasonable amount of time, I contacted customer support and asked for their assistance to help locate the package. Their canned response was to wait 60 days before we will help you if it still did not arrive. 2 weeks later I contact DHL their shipper, who used USPS to actually ship and they advised me that USPS never actually shipped the product and it never left the US and the package is lost and I needed to contact Vitacost, which I did.

The items ordered were time sensitive and I appealed to Vitacost customer support to either resend the package or give me a credit so I could order elsewhere. The response I received was that DHL-their selected carrier was often incorrect and there is nothing they would do before 60 days were up. No attempt was done to see what happened to the package. I received the same exact response from 3 agents which indicates that Vitacost customer support agents are reluctant or unmotivated to go beyond cutting and pasting prewritten FAQ responses.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I ordered 3 bags of GFB bites: Dark Chocolate Coconut. Great delivery time, however, the products were stale. I can tell because they were hard, difficult to chew, old! I get these all the time at a local store, and they should be soft! Was very very disappointed. Not worth it, when the products they give you are past the due date!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Over years of ordering from Vitacost, we have only had one problem with a Vitacost delivery. We ordered a case of Oat Milk and one of the boxes had been damaged in transit. Because each box of milk was in its own plastic bag, the milk did not spread throughout. I contacted customer service and immediately received another box to replace the leaking one. I was shocked at the negative reviews on this site because our experience has been so positive. No problems with any items we have ordered from Vitacost.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have found out the hard way to check all expiration dates on all products from Vitacost. They have sent items that are very close to the expiration date with less than 2 months left. This is not acceptable and not professional. Most products should have a year or even two on the expiration date. Then, I am requested by Vitacost to return these items and told that I will have to wait over 3 weeks to get my refund. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was happy with my first Vitacost experience, which happened to be on Black Friday. After my purchase, they sent me a 30% off Vitacost brand supplements coupon in the mail. To my delight, the supplements I wanted to buy were also BOGO 50% off. I stocked up my cart and was ready to get the BOGO deal PLUS my 30% off coupon! Well, I should've known it was too good to be true. After multiple times trying to check out, the website would just not work. I got error after error.

After contacting customer service, I got a response saying they were having website troubles and that now I should be able to make my purchase. Of course, by that time the BOGO sale was over! I wrote to customer service again and expressed the fact that I should have gotten those sales because I tried placing my order during the sale, and it was their site's technical issues that prevented me from doing so. Never heard back from them. Very disappointed, and they just lost a customer.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have ordered 4 times over the past few years with orders exceeding $100 each time. On my latest order the total was for $148 and I ordered 3 large B Complex and 3 large E (cost over $136) with three smaller items just as add-ons simply because I had the order coming. The other items were literally not particularly necessary and only add ons. Because I am in Australia, I had to pay freight on the order discounted to $10, but freight nonetheless.

During my night I received an email saying the E had been removed from the order because it was out of stock. I immediately contacted Vitacost to tell them to HOLD the order and allow me to add a different E or cancel the order as it was a major part of my order. The next night they sent me an email saying their system didn't allow for a delay and the order was already processed. I also received ANOTHER Email saying the B was out of stock and had been removed from the order!

In other words I was now only receiving the three items I had added on simply because there was an order being sent and worse still was being charged $10 freight on those three items worth $12!!!! And before I could even respond to that I received ANOTHER email telling me the order had been dispatched! Vitacost's system is deeply flawed if it can allow that to happen - and it does! It is OBVIOUS you don't do that to a client. If you are removing a large chunk of the order you should advise and wait for their reply and if you DO have a system that doesn't allow that ANY items removed should be back ordered and sent freight free! They have lost me as a client and I strongly recommend you look elsewhere if you want a service that is reliable and has any sort of customer care. This mob border on criminal in that area!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I LOVE shopping the Vitacost site. They have super fast online shipping, excellent prices on their products, wonderful sales, and free shipping on order over $49. If you have problems, customer service has always been quick to resolve problems. Ordered one morning and order was shipped and RECEIVED by next afternoon!! OUTSTANDING!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have now had four orders from Vitacost in less than 2 years show up with broken bottles, leaking all over everything. Each time I report it, they change their policy on how to get my money back. This last time, a large bottle of tamarind sauce (soy sauce essentially) came a broken mess. The shipper left it on a cushion outside and ruined the cushion. Everything else in the package was ruined. It was 26F outside and my husband and I had to deal with the mess on New Year Eve in the snow, as we couldn't bring the package inside due to leaking.

We took photos, did everything they asked for and all they did was refund under $4 for the soy sauce and have refused to cover anything else, including our ruined cushion, which is an $80 expense. I will never buy from them again. They are fine unless something comes ruined, and then they go out of their way to ignore you, and when you do get a hold of them, they blame the problem they caused by not packing correctly on the customer. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Any positive review must be fake. Just beware. I ordered 2 quantity of 12 bags of chips so I should have received 24 bags total. They canceled one of my orders but still charged me the same price. They don't tell you if an order is cancelled. I found out by logging back into the site and the funny thing is the site didn't show I ordered 2 quantity of 12. It's like that 2nd quantity disappeared and no proof from me aside from my own eyes would know. They didn't send an order confirmation (shady) but their shipping email did show 2 quantity of 12 but they refused to acknowledge it. The guy I talked to on online chat ignored my question then abruptly ended the chat because I wouldn't drop the issue! This company is going to go out of business or face a lawsuit one day. I'll be laughing when it does.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I’ve purchased from Vitacost for many years, and they are a very good company. Always a good supply of items, their house brand is very good, and they stand behind their products. On the few occasions I’ve had to contact them with issues, they have always made things right, even when it was actually my fault. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This was the first time to order food supplements online and from Vitacost. I usually order products from Amazon but I found their prices a little too high for the product I wanted. So, I decided to take a risk and get it from an unknown company to me based in Florida! To my amazement, the package arrived sooner than expected and imagine over the weekend! I ordered it on Friday, December 28, 2018 in the morning and it arrived around 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 30, 2018. I rarely give 5 stars, but this time Vitacost can have it! My order was shipped from Lexington, NC and arrived in a very good condition in Manassas, VA. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Recently I had reordered Natural Astaxanthin and several other vitamins. When I opened the Astaxanthin all the capsules were covered in an oily red mess. I thought one of the caps must of ruptured. But closer inspection showed that most of the caps were coming apart. I couldn't think of how this might have happened, then I checked the sell by date. It was over 6 months after this jars expiration date. This was quite a shock, out of curiosity I checked the other vitamin I take every day. Over half of them were way beyond their exp. dates. Over the years I have been switching over to the Vitacost brands to save a little and had never before looked at the exp. date on any of them. Now I'm wondering just what I might have been taking for the last 10 years. If a company is sell their out of date merchandise how does one know if it is really what it claims to be.

Just a little background; I take 15 different vitamins daily, 2 omega3 oils, 3 mineral supplements. Some are name brands, most are Vitacost brands. All over the out of date jars were Vitacost, none were national brands. I was so shocked by this experience that I will never shop Vitacost again. My health is not worth my health. I do not trust Vitacost.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have purchased vitamins, supplements, food/spices and beauty products for 10 years. Some were name brand, others Vitacost brand. I've been happy with all product and they have great customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been ordering from this company (AZ & NM) for about 10 years maybe more. Their name products seem to be OK and other name brand products are discounted. There were no sales taxes charged until this month's order. It was the full local area tax not the state basic sales tax. I live in Prescott AZ area. I can't contact them at present by phone. I'm guessing because Kroger food stores have purchased the Vitacost company, we must pay sales taxes due to the Kroger stores in our area. Maybe I will order just enough to get free shipping and keep the taxes down! Oh well. It was a great deal but now it's not!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I made a few purchases on the Vitacost site during the web sale. My family and I ordered a few ON Protein Powders and receive ON Mint Protein Cake Bites. We received 4 and all of them are bad, nothing like the actual product it is suppose to be! They expire in January 2019, that's not horrible! 1 month to consume them. The fact you scammed me thinking we are getting a good deal for crusty ** items.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Placed an order for 7 items. Received two shipments, each of which said my 7th item was in another shipment. Look for third shipment/package but could not find. Went to website and discovered 5th item was cancelled - not by me but by Vitacost. Looked up item on their website and it showed item was in stock. Went to customer service chat to complain. Was told item "arrived on last night's truck". Wasn't sure I really believed them, but ok. Would you please send me the item? They would not fulfill my original order because the order was closed. Now I have to pay for shipping again. I complained. They did give me a coupon so I didn't have to pay for shipping on my reorder but I found the whole experience unpleasant. Items out of stock should automatically go and backorder and an email should be sent to the customer with the expected delivery date and an option to cancel the backorder.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I contacted Vitacost thru e-mail. They didn't respond. In the next day I contact them thru the chat and explain about sales tax they charge, but on the ad says no tax and free shipping? They says they cannot do it nothing. On the following day they send me a shipping created, for only two item, not for all stuff. What do I order, looks like the item out the stock. Still didn't received anything. Not happy.

Vitacost Company Information