2.88/5
Based on 93 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

98 Vitacost Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is a trustworthy company. They do not resell brands that are not authentic. You can count on getting the product you ordered and the companies providing them to this company are confident. They are represented accurately. This is unlike some other online offerings. I have only had one situation where an item had a problem that stemmed from the manufacturer. They were considerate, caring and immediately sent out a replacement. I mean immediately, I could not believe it.

I have never had issues with them, all good. I order monthly so I would know. Their items are very well packed, the items are all new and my confidence level to order from them is very high. I recently learned that all items on Amazon are not directly from the companies and when you see the company name, it does not mean it comes from the actual company. With this, the quality can vary and all independent sellers are not great. This is not the case with Vitacost. I have been using them for years now.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I contacted Vitacost to explain a $4 sales tax on $25. Sales tax in GA is %4 to %6. For a simple order, two products, $25, they almost charged me $10 for shipping and tax. The Rep gave no clear reason or understanding.

Get expert buying tips about Vitamins Online delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I made the mistake of ordering from this company once and they harass me with glossy catalogs and mailers and I have contacted customer service multiple times and they refuse to help me or make it stop without jumping through a bunch of hoops, but then the mail just starts again after a few months. I tried to write "refused, return to sender" on some of them, but the slimeballs just removed the return address from their glossy flyers so I can't send the garbage back to the creeps. Avoid this company at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been buying from Vitacost many years and have always been happy with the products and service. There are good promotions and coupons available. I live in CA so my orders typically arrive in 1 day. The orders come with the courier OnTrac and they deliver the boxes up a steep driveway to my door, very nice! Occasionally an item arrives damaged and Vitacost replaces or refunds it as soon as I inform them. I am surprised to see the negative reviews, but no company is perfect. I noticed one complaint was regarding the CA Prop 65 warning that appeared "only" on Vitacost products. I wanted to point out this warning shows up on many name brand products I buy, such as NOW Foods and others.

One company I called stated that even if one ingredient in their vitamins might possibly require the warning label, they just put the warning label on to cover themselves. The actual CA Prop 65 website states many companies apply the warning to protect themselves legally, even though there's no ingredients requiring the warning. I do have one concern now that I read a complaint about the "Best Buy" date on Vitacost brand nut butters. I looked at my VC Almond Butter and yup, the Best Buy date was 4 months after I purchased them.

I had stocked up and I would never be able to eat it all in 4 months, name brands usually have a longer date. I let Vitacost know I think the Best Buy date is too short and had I known, I would not have stocked up. They refunded my money on one order and replaced the product on another order with a fresher batch. I'll just make sure to not stock up so much next time, the dates seem to typically be 4-5 months out from date of purchase (based on mine and my sister's orders).

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I made a purchase last night and this morning woke to an email that says part of my order was canceled because it was out of stock. I messaged a representative who told me it was out of stock on the west coast and that I would have to call the east coast warehouse and purchase it separately from them. I called and purchased it over the phone. I received a confirmation email, then an hour later, received another email, again saying it was canceled because it was out of stock. I call again and the woman was very rude and told me that there was only one of what I purchased available and someone else bought it right before me.

I'm sorry, but I purchased it the night before... It should have been sent to me. She told me there was nothing she could do. I told her I don't want to do business with their company and wanted to cancel my order. She then told me it has already shipped so there's nothing I can do besides return my order when I receive it. I told her I have not gotten any confirmation that it has shipped l, so she said "well it has. There's nothing I can do for you". Meanwhile, the full first order price is pending on my bank account, along with the payment I had to make over the phone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vitacost?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

First, the good: Competitive pricing. 2-day shipping from order to door. Spectacular deals if you sign up for their weekly newsletters. Some deals as much as $10 off any order or 30% off. Second, the bad: all the Vitacost products (at least for me) didn't work. I tried other brands and most had worked. Last, the ugly: Several Vitacost brand products were prompted the Proposition 65 warning during checkout, but other brands didn't. Again... avoid the Vitacost brand products. Other than that, as long as you're not buying Vitacost brand products, VitaCost is a great site for your supplements needs. Takeaway #1: Avoid Vitacost brand products. Takeaway #2: Sign up for their newsletter, and you will receive weekly offers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Vitacost uses Lasership an inferior delivery service! Lasership hires less than desirable people. I've watched this same person deliver packages to my home for some time. He saunters up the driveway to 5 steps (too lazy to walk up the steps) and pitches the box on to the porch. Same scenario every time! Yesterday he was forced to walk up the steps because of the size of the box. He threw the box down in the pouring rain. This was a $629.00 order (typical) of vitamins and perishables from Vitacost. This box sat in the pouring rain without a protective (plastic) cover. This box was taking on water like the Titanic. I was able to salvage almost everything. I should never have had to clean up this mess!

Based on the numerous complaints against Lasership I'm surprised a reputable company like Vitacost or any other company would continue using their inferior service. UPS & FedEx use plastic bags when it's raining. Vitacost informed me that I can choose a different carrier. I contacted Lasership to no avail! They could care less! I'm considering a return to iHerb. They use high quality delivery services. The rating should be 1/100 of a star! If you're a Vitacost customer I highly recommend using UPS or FedEx. You'll be glad you did!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Either these people are as stupid as a box of rocks or they're just ** on purpose but DO NOT give these ** ANY money. They like to screw people on the shipping and parse it out so you get one bottle on one day, another bottle 4-days later, etc. Trouble is, I DID NOT KNOW THIS IS THE WAY THEY OPERATE. Now I have to leave the U.S. for more than a year and my order -- which should have arrived today -- won't be here until almost a week AFTER we leave the country. I reached out to them for an explanation and they didn't have one. They also charged me $4.00 for NOTHING, so I didn't get a complete refund but they said to look for my money in 3-5 business days. What a bunch of jerks, man.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I recently made my first purchase on Vitacost.com, and it was truly the best decision I made. Healthy foods can be SO expensive, especially at the health food stores in my area. Therefore, the wide variety of products, the prices, and the coupons available on Vitacost really drew me in. I am shocked by all of the negative reviews because my experience was the complete opposite. I ordered quite a few items late on Tuesday night, and my box arrived on Thursday!!! I was in awe!!! I was also very impressed with how my items were packaged. Sturdy box, taped up well, no spills, and fantastic organization inside the box. I could not be happier. I am hopeful I will continue to have great experiences with Vitacost, and will order from them again, without a doubt!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Frequent orderer. Only once was there an error; Vitacost fixed it immediately. Today, my order started out at just over $170. I applied TWO promo codes, and it dropped to just under $110. Pretty good savings!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have never written a review about any company or product, but I feel compelled to do so after reading some negative reviews about Vitacost. I have been ordering from this company for many years, and have had nothing but positive experiences with every order I have placed. If there is any problem at all, customer service takes care of it immediately, and every person I have dealt with has been extremely nice and personable. I highly recommend Vitacost for quality products at reasonable prices.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

A supplement was left off my $600+ order. When I called customer service the woman told me "oh well, you'll have to go online and reorder"! "Oh well"?! Not appropriate language for a good c.s. agent. I explained I would not get free shipping on 1 product. Again... "oh well". I asked to speak to a supervisor and she would not transfer me. I'm not telling my version of the story... this is actually what happened. I wrote c.s. online citing their own motto "If something's wrong with your order we will make it right". The response sent said, "We will give you a $5.00 coupon towards the product, but you still must pay shipping"!!! I've won national customer service awards, this is not how you handle a problem. They lost my business as well as my friends and family. Mr. Horowitz (CEO) was unattainable.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I ordered several jars of peanut butter for a really good price. I checked the expiration dates (best by date, BBD) on the jars of PB and they were one month away from expiration. I contacted Vitacost and they said that they had no replacement jars to send me as they had no jars with later BBDs so they refunded my money. I was stunned. I've been ordering from them on and off for years and never checked the BBDs. I now wonder if all of their products are so cheap because they source them at a discount because they are close to their BBD. I've chosen to not buy from them anymore as they have lost my trust. If you buy from Vitacost, I recommend checking every expiration date on every product.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I loved Vitacost and the delivery company they use here in AZ. From what I read, I think that if you live in the west and get your stuff from LV you are happy. It seems to be the Florida arm that is so bad. Also - I have noticed since Kroger bought them they are deteriorating. By that I mean, several of the harder to find products I used to love, have been discontinued. So they are using the Kroger model of just carrying products that are very popular. This pattern is so discouraging. They don't understand what they bought - maybe just trying to eliminate competition.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Vitacost had the products that I was looking for at a price that was below the competition with fast and free shipping with orders of $25.00 or more when you buy Vitacost products. I place my order on Thursday and it arrived on Friday. Very smooth transaction. I will buy from Vitacost.com again. Thank you Vitacost.

Original review: July 14, 2018

When I clicked the submit button I had two different collagen products and 1 potassium product. When the order was shipped it had 2 potassium products and 1 collagen. I thought the second collagen was too cheap to be true. I believe they gave me two potassium in place of the collagen. Won't order from them again.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I ordered multiple boxes of tea from Vitacost via Amazon. I never received this order. When I called to check they said it had been delivered which I checked and was correct. However I had not received them. The person that I talked with said to check this that and another. All things I had already checked. They refused even a partial refund or a new order at a discount. I will Never shop with them again!!

Original review: June 14, 2018

They canceled the order (salted caramel bars) after I responded to their query about the order. I was told on the phone they audit orders over a certain amount of money. I talked to them within the three day window. In fact it was the first 24 hours after I was notified of the audit. I checked Thursday 4 days later and the order was cancelled by the company because they said I did not notify them within 3 days of receiving the audit notice. They had no explanation about how this could happen and could not reinstate the order. I would have to start over. DO NOT deal with these people. They have no idea what they are doing. Look at all the OFFICE problems that are explainable.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have now ordered twice through Vitacost. The prices are extremely reasonable, and the shipping is extremely fast! I did receive a jar of honey that arrived broken. I went online to report it, it was very quick and easy. The replacement jar was delivered in just a few days after the original shipment delivery. Overall, I am very pleased with my transactions with Vitacost!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I cancelled my order. They shipped it out anyway. I had them intercept the package. The package was sent back to them but they won't refund me because they claim their warehouse didn't receive it. The tracking shows returned to sender but they refuse to refund me. I am filing with BBB, really unprofessional and horrible way to treat a customer. I want my money back. Basically I was scammed.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I placed an online order and they accidentally overcharged me - twice - for the order. I contacted them 3 times for help. First they blamed my bank. My bank said it wasn't their error, but if Vitacost would submit a request to release the funds, they could release the money back to me in 24 hours. Vitacost refused to do this. They then changed their story, saying it was a computer glitch and "so sorry" but I will just have to wait 3 days for the additional pending charge to drop. In the meantime, I'm out $87.26 because I chose to do business with them. Never again! I do hope these charges will drop, otherwise I will have to dispute the extra charge through my bank. They are a shady company and don't even publish their telephone number on their website or invoices. I had to look their phone number up on Google to contact a live person. I will never do business with them again. Consider yourself warned. They are a dirty company.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Be wary consumers! Come on promos and did not make good on the ability to use my new customer discount. After several requests that were refused by the company, I want others to know to read the promo offers very carefully. I asked them to make good on the new customer promo coupon in the form of a account credit and, after several emails, they would not do so.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I've ordered several times in the past from Vitacost because of their competitive pricing and deep discounts. Today, while shopping for vitamins, I noticed that the Nature's Way Alive Women's 50+ Ultra Potency and the Men's 50+, (same product, men's version), had the EXACT same retail price. The problem is, Vitacost is discounting the men's version 58%, but the women's version is only discounted 50%. Consequently, women are being charged nearly $2 more per bottle than the men's version with the same retail price. I guess Vitacost believes that it's okay that women get paid, on average, about 77 cents on the dollar compared to a man doing the exact same job, and yet they still have to pay more for the same products.

I spoke with a female customer service rep who couldn't help me to resolve this. Then I asked for a supervisor, who also happened to be female, and I reiterated my concerns to her. I demanded that I be offered the same discount as a man, but she was also ineffective in resolving the problem. When I pointed out that Vitacost practices gender discrimination, she said she wasn't sure that was true. I pointed out that the evidence was right in front of her face on their pricing page.

When she said it was not under her purview to set the discounts, I suggested that she should look into whether she makes the same salary as her male counterparts. If they'll do it in such an obvious public place as pricing, I'm quite sure they would have no qualms in doing it when setting their employees' private salaries.

After having spent substantially on their products previously, I told her I would not spend another penny on their site as long as this was their policy. She said she was sorry to hear that, but that it was my choice. I told her that I was sorry that she, as a woman, worked for such a company. Everyone, women AND men, should vote with their wallet and not support a company that gender discriminates.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Vitacost has excellent customer service. As of recently I have received some products that don't agree with my pet. They have refunded me. No questions asked. I feel badly and will happily return products. I love their selection and their shipping is generally 1-2 days if you order early enough in the day. Much faster than in previous years. I have been a customer for 10-12 years. I have recently started ordering more food/organic condiments/baking ingredients and are pleased with products and pricing. Would highly recommend.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I loved Vitacost but my experience with them was nothing short of terrible. I do like many of their products and their prices. What I don’t like however is when there is a problem. Not that I expect never to have a problem but it is the way that it is handled that is not acceptable. One thing that I do not like is the condescending attitude that comes with it. As an example, I made an order and decided because I could not change the order (although I was given the impression that I could) my money was tied up because of a lack of information provided. When a company does a pre-authorization it should not be for a full amount it should be for a small just make sure the card is authorized for use.

It was stated on the website that I could cancel an order within 15 minutes after it was placed with no warning that if I did I could not change my order and the original pre-authorization would still be on my credit card account. If this was stated up front I would’ve had no problem with it. I also could’ve excepted it if the agent on the phone had any sense of treating a customer with respect. There are certain people that use the term when talking to someone overseas that is impolite and disrespectful to Americans. It is used at Vitacost and it is “ I’ll take care of that one”. I am a human being with the family on with life not a number.

When I said I need to take my business elsewhere she said she was unhappy with that but her tone indicated she just wanted me off the phone. I am not a person that is unreasonable and I have worked on phones in many different scenarios. I speak from experience that this is not the way to do business. I felt like there was no point in trying to continue this conversation because there was a lack of empathy at all whatsoever. I highly recommend Vitacost re-train their sales staff or better yet Americans for this job. Why not Puerto Rico they need the help. I would submit a receipt or an order number but they remove it after you cancel. Nonetheless they should be able to find it in the record should you need to contact them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I bought Almased 6 bottles and they shipped the wrong product. I called today and it's $6.00 more and it was my first order with them so you get 20% off not only will they not honor their mistake. I need to pay more with no discount. I will never order from them again. Bunch of thieves. Horrible company with no customer service at all. So much for taking care of the customer. They made the mistake not me. I did my order over the phone with exactly what I needed. They messed up not me but I pay for their incompetent people they have on the phones. Unreal!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I read one of the complaints and would like to give a possible reason for problems, as was the case for me. The problem that I had was not with Vitacost. It was with the shipping company that they used. My experience over the years has been that FedEx Ground is one of the WORST shipping companies. As I live rather rural, I am not exactly an easy drop off. Add to that, I have a farm and cattle that must be fenced in. It may be policy for both FedEx Ground and UPS that they do not have to open the electric fence at the end of my concrete driveway, but I have never had an occasion that UPS did not show up at my door with my packages. They have opened the driveway fence and the walk-in gate into my yard.

We are currently having heavy rains and I had not received my package from Vitacost. I have been rather busy and had left the driveway fence open for two days when I received a call from the FedEx Ground driver who said that his boss told him he did not have to deliver my package in the rain because he might get stuck. He drives a delivery van and I drive a small Honda Civic. I travel the road on a regular basis and have not ever gotten stuck, in my remembrance. He said that I would have to have someplace by the highway that he could leave the package or he would deliver it a couple of days after the rain had stopped.

As FedEx Ground has always been such an unreliable company in our area, I felt to send a general note to Vitacost asking them, in the future, to not use FedEx Ground for my deliveries and telling them why. I received a prompt email the next day apologizing for any inconvenience and giving me a discount code for my next order. I was also told that the shipper would definitely hear of my problem. The next day I received my Vitacost shipment left in my yard, during a real downpour, and sometime later a call from the driver telling me that he had left the package in my yard. I guess FedEx Ground policy says that they do not have to open small yard gates and walk 30 feet to the door to make deliveries.

I think that Vitacost is one of the best companies in their line of service. I have used two or three different companies. Vitacost has, in the last two or three orders, had the best price, the best packaging, and they carry a line of excellent name brand products. To top it all off, they also can make FedEx Ground snap to attention and make a deliver that they otherwise would have put off to a more convenient time. Vitacost is the best, in my experience!!! Good enough to have me sign up here to write a review... Something that I do not like to do.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I order my vitamins on Jan 1 and was sent numerous email saying I would get my order. It is now Jan 5th and they said it was delivered at my door and guess what there's no package. I knew there were something was up when they kept changing the delivery date. In addition to that on their website it states where my order or issue a refund. What the hell are they doing to peoples ** orders and why are they in business??? I asked for a confirmation email stating I would get a refund and of course they never sent it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I live in the UAE and purchased just over $100 worth of vitamins. The vitamins are about a quarter of the price to buying them here, which is a plus for Vitacost. However, they only use DHL global mail service and not courier. I received a tracking number on the 1 Sept and that's when the problems started. After the package had been picked up by DHL and started processing by them, DHL put a message on my tracking page that they do not deliver to residential or business addresses in my area and that I needed to provide the merchant VITACOST with a PO Box otherwise delivery can't be made.

I immediately advised them about the message I received and gave them a PO Box and asked them to confirm that they had in fact advised DHL, they did not confirm to me. Every response I got was a standard reply stating that I have to wait 60 days before an investigation can take place. I kept reiterating about the PO Box situation but only got the wait until after 60 days reply again and again. Today they sent me a survey and I filled it in giving all ratings 0. I quickly got a reply back once again saying I had to wait 60 days to start investigating.

After I once again mentioned the PO Box issue I got a reply saying that as I provided a wrong address in first place they are not going to investigate my package as being lost and were not going to provide me a refund and that as a courtesy they were going to credit my card with the $11 postal charge!!! I did not give a wrong address, I gave normal delivery instructions (which I use for all previous DHL and FedEx deliveries with many other merchants without problem). I only got the message about providing a PO Box after it had been collected and processed by DHL. They are using this as an excuse not to provide a full refund. In addition to this I have advised them several times that I have terminal cancer and that these vitamins are extremely important to me but they have no interest. Absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life... lesson learnt cheap turns out expensive. If you are an international buyer AVOID this company.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

They have a lot of deals and a lot of quality products and they make sure that I get the best deals possible. Everything went smoothly when I ordered. The website is nice and costs were clear and I'm never disappointed with my order and the free shipping was relatively fast and hassle-less. But the company doesn't seem to be mindful of the customer and puts out deals of products people don't normally buy. There were deals on their own specific products although they have released on a plethora of products.

Vitacost Company Information