2.68/5

117 Vitacost Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

When an overseas shipment failed to arrive within a reasonable amount of time, I contacted customer support and asked for their assistance to help locate the package. Their canned response was to wait 60 days before we will help you if it still did not arrive. 2 weeks later I contact DHL their shipper, who used USPS to actually ship and they advised me that USPS never actually shipped the product and it never left the US and the package is lost and I needed to contact Vitacost, which I did.

The items ordered were time sensitive and I appealed to Vitacost customer support to either resend the package or give me a credit so I could order elsewhere. The response I received was that DHL-their selected carrier was often incorrect and there is nothing they would do before 60 days were up. No attempt was done to see what happened to the package. I received the same exact response from 3 agents which indicates that Vitacost customer support agents are reluctant or unmotivated to go beyond cutting and pasting prewritten FAQ responses.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I ordered 3 bags of GFB bites: Dark Chocolate Coconut. Great delivery time, however, the products were stale. I can tell because they were hard, difficult to chew, old! I get these all the time at a local store, and they should be soft! Was very very disappointed. Not worth it, when the products they give you are past the due date!

Get expert buying tips about Vitamins Online delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Over years of ordering from Vitacost, we have only had one problem with a Vitacost delivery. We ordered a case of Oat Milk and one of the boxes had been damaged in transit. Because each box of milk was in its own plastic bag, the milk did not spread throughout. I contacted customer service and immediately received another box to replace the leaking one. I was shocked at the negative reviews on this site because our experience has been so positive. No problems with any items we have ordered from Vitacost.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I have found out the hard way to check all expiration dates on all products from Vitacost. They have sent items that are very close to the expiration date with less than 2 months left. This is not acceptable and not professional. Most products should have a year or even two on the expiration date. Then, I am requested by Vitacost to return these items and told that I will have to wait over 3 weeks to get my refund. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I was happy with my first Vitacost experience, which happened to be on Black Friday. After my purchase, they sent me a 30% off Vitacost brand supplements coupon in the mail. To my delight, the supplements I wanted to buy were also BOGO 50% off. I stocked up my cart and was ready to get the BOGO deal PLUS my 30% off coupon! Well, I should've known it was too good to be true. After multiple times trying to check out, the website would just not work. I got error after error.

After contacting customer service, I got a response saying they were having website troubles and that now I should be able to make my purchase. Of course, by that time the BOGO sale was over! I wrote to customer service again and expressed the fact that I should have gotten those sales because I tried placing my order during the sale, and it was their site's technical issues that prevented me from doing so. Never heard back from them. Very disappointed, and they just lost a customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vitacost?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I have ordered 4 times over the past few years with orders exceeding $100 each time. On my latest order the total was for $148 and I ordered 3 large B Complex and 3 large E (cost over $136) with three smaller items just as add-ons simply because I had the order coming. The other items were literally not particularly necessary and only add ons. Because I am in Australia, I had to pay freight on the order discounted to $10, but freight nonetheless.

During my night I received an email saying the E had been removed from the order because it was out of stock. I immediately contacted Vitacost to tell them to HOLD the order and allow me to add a different E or cancel the order as it was a major part of my order. The next night they sent me an email saying their system didn't allow for a delay and the order was already processed. I also received ANOTHER Email saying the B was out of stock and had been removed from the order!

In other words I was now only receiving the three items I had added on simply because there was an order being sent and worse still was being charged $10 freight on those three items worth $12!!!! And before I could even respond to that I received ANOTHER email telling me the order had been dispatched! Vitacost's system is deeply flawed if it can allow that to happen - and it does! It is OBVIOUS you don't do that to a client. If you are removing a large chunk of the order you should advise and wait for their reply and if you DO have a system that doesn't allow that ANY items removed should be back ordered and sent freight free! They have lost me as a client and I strongly recommend you look elsewhere if you want a service that is reliable and has any sort of customer care. This mob border on criminal in that area!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I LOVE shopping the Vitacost site. They have super fast online shipping, excellent prices on their products, wonderful sales, and free shipping on order over $49. If you have problems, customer service has always been quick to resolve problems. Ordered one morning and order was shipped and RECEIVED by next afternoon!! OUTSTANDING!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I have now had four orders from Vitacost in less than 2 years show up with broken bottles, leaking all over everything. Each time I report it, they change their policy on how to get my money back. This last time, a large bottle of tamarind sauce (soy sauce essentially) came a broken mess. The shipper left it on a cushion outside and ruined the cushion. Everything else in the package was ruined. It was 26F outside and my husband and I had to deal with the mess on New Year Eve in the snow, as we couldn't bring the package inside due to leaking.

We took photos, did everything they asked for and all they did was refund under $4 for the soy sauce and have refused to cover anything else, including our ruined cushion, which is an $80 expense. I will never buy from them again. They are fine unless something comes ruined, and then they go out of their way to ignore you, and when you do get a hold of them, they blame the problem they caused by not packing correctly on the customer. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Any positive review must be fake. Just beware. I ordered 2 quantity of 12 bags of chips so I should have received 24 bags total. They canceled one of my orders but still charged me the same price. They don't tell you if an order is cancelled. I found out by logging back into the site and the funny thing is the site didn't show I ordered 2 quantity of 12. It's like that 2nd quantity disappeared and no proof from me aside from my own eyes would know. They didn't send an order confirmation (shady) but their shipping email did show 2 quantity of 12 but they refused to acknowledge it. The guy I talked to on online chat ignored my question then abruptly ended the chat because I wouldn't drop the issue! This company is going to go out of business or face a lawsuit one day. I'll be laughing when it does.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I’ve purchased from Vitacost for many years, and they are a very good company. Always a good supply of items, their house brand is very good, and they stand behind their products. On the few occasions I’ve had to contact them with issues, they have always made things right, even when it was actually my fault. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

This was the first time to order food supplements online and from Vitacost. I usually order products from Amazon but I found their prices a little too high for the product I wanted. So, I decided to take a risk and get it from an unknown company to me based in Florida! To my amazement, the package arrived sooner than expected and imagine over the weekend! I ordered it on Friday, December 28, 2018 in the morning and it arrived around 4:00 pm on Sunday, December 30, 2018. I rarely give 5 stars, but this time Vitacost can have it! My order was shipped from Lexington, NC and arrived in a very good condition in Manassas, VA. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Recently I had reordered Natural Astaxanthin and several other vitamins. When I opened the Astaxanthin all the capsules were covered in an oily red mess. I thought one of the caps must of ruptured. But closer inspection showed that most of the caps were coming apart. I couldn't think of how this might have happened, then I checked the sell by date. It was over 6 months after this jars expiration date. This was quite a shock, out of curiosity I checked the other vitamin I take every day. Over half of them were way beyond their exp. dates. Over the years I have been switching over to the Vitacost brands to save a little and had never before looked at the exp. date on any of them. Now I'm wondering just what I might have been taking for the last 10 years. If a company is sell their out of date merchandise how does one know if it is really what it claims to be.

Just a little background; I take 15 different vitamins daily, 2 omega3 oils, 3 mineral supplements. Some are name brands, most are Vitacost brands. All over the out of date jars were Vitacost, none were national brands. I was so shocked by this experience that I will never shop Vitacost again. My health is not worth my health. I do not trust Vitacost.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I have purchased vitamins, supplements, food/spices and beauty products for 10 years. Some were name brand, others Vitacost brand. I've been happy with all product and they have great customer service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been ordering from this company (AZ & NM) for about 10 years maybe more. Their name products seem to be OK and other name brand products are discounted. There were no sales taxes charged until this month's order. It was the full local area tax not the state basic sales tax. I live in Prescott AZ area. I can't contact them at present by phone. I'm guessing because Kroger food stores have purchased the Vitacost company, we must pay sales taxes due to the Kroger stores in our area. Maybe I will order just enough to get free shipping and keep the taxes down! Oh well. It was a great deal but now it's not!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I made a few purchases on the Vitacost site during the web sale. My family and I ordered a few ON Protein Powders and receive ON Mint Protein Cake Bites. We received 4 and all of them are bad, nothing like the actual product it is suppose to be! They expire in January 2019, that's not horrible! 1 month to consume them. The fact you scammed me thinking we are getting a good deal for crusty ** items.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Placed an order for 7 items. Received two shipments, each of which said my 7th item was in another shipment. Look for third shipment/package but could not find. Went to website and discovered 5th item was cancelled - not by me but by Vitacost. Looked up item on their website and it showed item was in stock. Went to customer service chat to complain. Was told item "arrived on last night's truck". Wasn't sure I really believed them, but ok. Would you please send me the item? They would not fulfill my original order because the order was closed. Now I have to pay for shipping again. I complained. They did give me a coupon so I didn't have to pay for shipping on my reorder but I found the whole experience unpleasant. Items out of stock should automatically go and backorder and an email should be sent to the customer with the expected delivery date and an option to cancel the backorder.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I contacted Vitacost thru e-mail. They didn't respond. In the next day I contact them thru the chat and explain about sales tax they charge, but on the ad says no tax and free shipping? They says they cannot do it nothing. On the following day they send me a shipping created, for only two item, not for all stuff. What do I order, looks like the item out the stock. Still didn't received anything. Not happy.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I placed my order on Monday, November 19th at 4:00 pm, and by 10:30 am Tuesday, November 20th my order was at my front door. It traveled from Lexington, N.C. to Richmond, Va. -- a distance of 245 miles in 18.5 hours. The packaging was perfect; everything was carefully arranged in little bags, and/or within sanctioned cardboard protectors. As an environmentalist, I actually think the Vitacost may be too careful (but, I do save and reuse all of their packaging). I give them an A+ for excellent service. I am writing because I do not understand any negative ratings others may have given. I know from working in a service industry myself, that some people can never be pleased. They were born to complain, and they will expire that way.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have ordered from Vitacost several times. They have been amazingly helpful and informative. 2 items were not in stock and they were very helpful, offering to notify me when they became available. When I thought one item had not been delivered, they immediately offered to send it at no cost to me. When I found it a few minutes later and called to let them know, they were very gracious and helpful. I have been very impressed with the quality of the products they sell, their pricing and service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is a trustworthy company. They do not resell brands that are not authentic. You can count on getting the product you ordered and the companies providing them to this company are confident. They are represented accurately. This is unlike some other online offerings. I have only had one situation where an item had a problem that stemmed from the manufacturer. They were considerate, caring and immediately sent out a replacement. I mean immediately, I could not believe it.

I have never had issues with them, all good. I order monthly so I would know. Their items are very well packed, the items are all new and my confidence level to order from them is very high. I recently learned that all items on Amazon are not directly from the companies and when you see the company name, it does not mean it comes from the actual company. With this, the quality can vary and all independent sellers are not great. This is not the case with Vitacost. I have been using them for years now.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I contacted Vitacost to explain a $4 sales tax on $25. Sales tax in GA is %4 to %6. For a simple order, two products, $25, they almost charged me $10 for shipping and tax. The Rep gave no clear reason or understanding.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I made the mistake of ordering from this company once and they harass me with glossy catalogs and mailers and I have contacted customer service multiple times and they refuse to help me or make it stop without jumping through a bunch of hoops, but then the mail just starts again after a few months. I tried to write "refused, return to sender" on some of them, but the slimeballs just removed the return address from their glossy flyers so I can't send the garbage back to the creeps. Avoid this company at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have been buying from Vitacost many years and have always been happy with the products and service. There are good promotions and coupons available. I live in CA so my orders typically arrive in 1 day. The orders come with the courier OnTrac and they deliver the boxes up a steep driveway to my door, very nice! Occasionally an item arrives damaged and Vitacost replaces or refunds it as soon as I inform them. I am surprised to see the negative reviews, but no company is perfect. I noticed one complaint was regarding the CA Prop 65 warning that appeared "only" on Vitacost products. I wanted to point out this warning shows up on many name brand products I buy, such as NOW Foods and others.

One company I called stated that even if one ingredient in their vitamins might possibly require the warning label, they just put the warning label on to cover themselves. The actual CA Prop 65 website states many companies apply the warning to protect themselves legally, even though there's no ingredients requiring the warning. I do have one concern now that I read a complaint about the "Best Buy" date on Vitacost brand nut butters. I looked at my VC Almond Butter and yup, the Best Buy date was 4 months after I purchased them.

I had stocked up and I would never be able to eat it all in 4 months, name brands usually have a longer date. I let Vitacost know I think the Best Buy date is too short and had I known, I would not have stocked up. They refunded my money on one order and replaced the product on another order with a fresher batch. I'll just make sure to not stock up so much next time, the dates seem to typically be 4-5 months out from date of purchase (based on mine and my sister's orders).

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I made a purchase last night and this morning woke to an email that says part of my order was canceled because it was out of stock. I messaged a representative who told me it was out of stock on the west coast and that I would have to call the east coast warehouse and purchase it separately from them. I called and purchased it over the phone. I received a confirmation email, then an hour later, received another email, again saying it was canceled because it was out of stock. I call again and the woman was very rude and told me that there was only one of what I purchased available and someone else bought it right before me.

I'm sorry, but I purchased it the night before... It should have been sent to me. She told me there was nothing she could do. I told her I don't want to do business with their company and wanted to cancel my order. She then told me it has already shipped so there's nothing I can do besides return my order when I receive it. I told her I have not gotten any confirmation that it has shipped l, so she said "well it has. There's nothing I can do for you". Meanwhile, the full first order price is pending on my bank account, along with the payment I had to make over the phone.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

First, the good: Competitive pricing. 2-day shipping from order to door. Spectacular deals if you sign up for their weekly newsletters. Some deals as much as $10 off any order or 30% off. Second, the bad: all the Vitacost products (at least for me) didn't work. I tried other brands and most had worked. Last, the ugly: Several Vitacost brand products were prompted the Proposition 65 warning during checkout, but other brands didn't. Again... avoid the Vitacost brand products. Other than that, as long as you're not buying Vitacost brand products, VitaCost is a great site for your supplements needs. Takeaway #1: Avoid Vitacost brand products. Takeaway #2: Sign up for their newsletter, and you will receive weekly offers.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Vitacost uses Lasership an inferior delivery service! Lasership hires less than desirable people. I've watched this same person deliver packages to my home for some time. He saunters up the driveway to 5 steps (too lazy to walk up the steps) and pitches the box on to the porch. Same scenario every time! Yesterday he was forced to walk up the steps because of the size of the box. He threw the box down in the pouring rain. This was a $629.00 order (typical) of vitamins and perishables from Vitacost. This box sat in the pouring rain without a protective (plastic) cover. This box was taking on water like the Titanic. I was able to salvage almost everything. I should never have had to clean up this mess!

Based on the numerous complaints against Lasership I'm surprised a reputable company like Vitacost or any other company would continue using their inferior service. UPS & FedEx use plastic bags when it's raining. Vitacost informed me that I can choose a different carrier. I contacted Lasership to no avail! They could care less! I'm considering a return to iHerb. They use high quality delivery services. The rating should be 1/100 of a star! If you're a Vitacost customer I highly recommend using UPS or FedEx. You'll be glad you did!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Either these people are as stupid as a box of rocks or they're just ** on purpose but DO NOT give these ** ANY money. They like to screw people on the shipping and parse it out so you get one bottle on one day, another bottle 4-days later, etc. Trouble is, I DID NOT KNOW THIS IS THE WAY THEY OPERATE. Now I have to leave the U.S. for more than a year and my order -- which should have arrived today -- won't be here until almost a week AFTER we leave the country. I reached out to them for an explanation and they didn't have one. They also charged me $4.00 for NOTHING, so I didn't get a complete refund but they said to look for my money in 3-5 business days. What a bunch of jerks, man.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I recently made my first purchase on Vitacost.com, and it was truly the best decision I made. Healthy foods can be SO expensive, especially at the health food stores in my area. Therefore, the wide variety of products, the prices, and the coupons available on Vitacost really drew me in. I am shocked by all of the negative reviews because my experience was the complete opposite. I ordered quite a few items late on Tuesday night, and my box arrived on Thursday!!! I was in awe!!! I was also very impressed with how my items were packaged. Sturdy box, taped up well, no spills, and fantastic organization inside the box. I could not be happier. I am hopeful I will continue to have great experiences with Vitacost, and will order from them again, without a doubt!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Frequent orderer. Only once was there an error; Vitacost fixed it immediately. Today, my order started out at just over $170. I applied TWO promo codes, and it dropped to just under $110. Pretty good savings!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have never written a review about any company or product, but I feel compelled to do so after reading some negative reviews about Vitacost. I have been ordering from this company for many years, and have had nothing but positive experiences with every order I have placed. If there is any problem at all, customer service takes care of it immediately, and every person I have dealt with has been extremely nice and personable. I highly recommend Vitacost for quality products at reasonable prices.

Vitacost Company Information