Last updated: Feb. 21, 2017

2 Nurse Next Door Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

Our family hired Nurse Next Door to care for our 91 year old Mother on the weekends. We have been using their service since November 2016. This past weekend the usual girl asked for the weekend off. They called me to let me know she wanted the weekend off and I told them it was fine but to make sure someone else came. They called me twice last week to tell me they were working on getting a replacement. I confirmed with them Friday that someone would be there. No one showed up at all. They left my 91 year old Mother to fend for herself all weekend. This is elder neglect. They were hired to be there and did not come. My brother came into town from another state on Sunday at 2 pm to find our Mother alone. They have yet to respond to me to explain how this could happen because today is a holiday for them.

Their holiday is more important than doing the job they were hired to do. This company is owned in affiliation with St. Joseph Healthcare. They boast they are very caring. They only care about getting paid. When the employees do come they only do the bare minimum which is make sure she takes her medication. The rest of the time they sit and play on their phones. One time they did not lock up her house upon leaving and it was unlocked when I arrived on Monday. Another time they left the warmer to the coffee pot on upon leaving. I just happened to go by that evening to find it on. That could have started a fire or the coffee pot which had dried up and had burnt coffee in the bottom could have broken and Mom could have cut herself. She is on blood thinners and this could have been devastating. This company does not train their employees and they should not be in the healthcare business.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I hired Nurse Next Door to care for my elderly mother. I asked for someone to take her shopping, clean her apt, especially the bathroom. They do take her shopping and do one load of laundry in FOUR HOURS! They have NEVER cleaned her bathroom or even swept the floor. They even have the gall to park my Mom on a bench while they do their own shopping! I phoned several times to discuss what was happening and was told that no matter what they did, it wouldn't be good enough for ME! The woman was rude and insulting! My mother has early dementia and is oblivious to the mess around her. I was hoping for a compassionate caregiver who would pick up the slack and relieve me of some stress. All they have done is added to it.

I live an hour away from my mother and work full time +, so I am unable to be there every week. My mom pay this company $32 an hour! I am in the process of moving her closer God willing so hopefully she will not be taken advantage of anymore. This company should not be allowed to be in business! They are despicable.

Get expert buying tips about Home Care Services delivered to your inbox.

Nurse Next Door expert review by Shelley Webb

Founded by two men disillusioned with the home care industry, Nurse Next Door prioritizes the care in health care. They work to find providers who truly care about your loved ones, making them one of the most trusted brands in home health care.

• Open door: They are available 24/7 for questions and concerns.

• Constant communication: Get daily updates on your loved one's condition.

• Fast service: Get matched up with a care provider in as little as a couple of hours.

• Nationwide service: With over 90 locations, you can find a local Nurse Next Door to manage your care needs.

• Hospice care available: Hospice care can be challenging to find and difficult to commit to, but Nurse Next Door makes the process smooth and easy.

• Best for: Primary caregivers, elderly individuals, persons with dementia, persons with a disability and terminal patients.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Nurse Next Door Company Information