3.14/5

75 Life Time Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I tried canceling my service with them. 2 months later still has not been canceled. I keep getting emails upon emails about my delinquent account. I keep telling them I have canceled my services. I never realized you need to give them a 30 day notice. I guess technically it's been 72 days, yet they keep charging me and unwilling to fix the problem. Also they added on a magazine charge which I was unaware of. They also started to raise the price on me. Never notified me or explained why. The cost increase by 11 dollars which is not that much, but it is the principal of the thing. Think twice before getting a membership at Life Time Fitness!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

Today I visited Spa in Lifetime Vernon Hills. Had chipless manicure. Honestly, it was the worst service I had ever had. Unprofessional. The nail technician had many years experience by her words but not in this service. I was very disappointed. And was charged 59$!!! For what??? I will attach the pics. Manager should be more patient to choose the right staff.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 27, 2019

You shouldn't have a problem cancelling with these guys if you're local and changing gyms, but if you have an life event and move away, sell your home, have an injury, you may be on a hook for a few extra months because simply calling or emailing, letting them know that you won't be needing a membership isn't enough. After being derailed by life occurrences recently, I attempted to cancel my membership by phone, to no avail. They urged that I come in, which was impossible at the time. Further, after a series of emails, sending sign statements, none of it was good enough. Ultimately I had to send certified mail. However, since we were in the first couple of days in the new month, I was on the hook for paying an additional $300. You'd think paying about 4k a year for a gym membership, they'd eventually want you back...

Original review: June 13, 2019

Total negative attitude comes from the 20-somethings that run this business. Pathetic excuses for cancelling membership (write and MAIL letter..), to the usual clubs under constant construction and closed amenities without any regard to credit to members. Don't waste your money here - use a local, smaller gym that cares about its customers.

Original review: June 5, 2019

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! BEWARE!!! This organization is like a cult! "Come join us!" It's all happiness and smiles.... Until you try to leave.... They'll stalk you like the hounds of hell! I cancelled my membership. I was moving out of the area and there was no LT where I was moving to. This was unacceptable to them. I had to COME IN and sign their form. No they couldn't attach it to an email. Or, I could send a certified letter. Really, certified snail mail?!? Now they are going to pursue me for collection of money they aren't entitled to.. BUYER BEWARE!!! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: May 16, 2019

Lifetime Fitness (Athletic) is an absolutely terrible club to join from the following aspect. It is the only major fitness club that bans members or guests from exercising / working out with family members or friends and giving any tips, demonstration, discussion or advice on exercising, stretching, wellness or nutrition. This means if you want to show your kid, family member, friend, etc. a more efficient swim stroke, stretching exercise or basketball move, you are taking a huge risk. Your membership can be cancelled at any time at the sole discretion of a Lifetime employee or camera that might be watching you. That’s right! Volunteering your time (no compensation) or skill to help loved ones or friends can deep-six your Lifetime membership in a hurry.

You see, their personal trainers make up to $100/hour to train members. Ouch! Can we all say cha- ching? And as a privately held company, with nobody to govern or oversee their 20 plus pages of extremely strict club rules, Lifetime wields the ultimate authority to keep their members in line. So, if you like to work out with family or your buds and share thoughts, tips or advice about anything fitness, wellness or nutrition related, think twice about joining Lifetime Fitness (Athletic). And if you don’t want Big Brother watching you at all times with their multitude of cameras and staff, this is another reason to think twice about joining Lifetime.

I have included Lifetime’s rules below regarding no personal advice or demonstration by members or guests at any time. It’s pretty brutal. No other fitness club has rules anywhere close to this strict. Definitely not what Lifetime should be proud of. And, definitely a rule that should be amended to not punish members or guests for helping someone in need of complimentary advice or a tip. Come on Lifetime… you can do much better.

• Training Services. Our personal training services include instruction, coaching, advice, lessons or demonstration concerning physical exercise, physical fitness, exercise strategies, nutrition, wellness, fitness products, fitness equipment and other fitness-related activities by personal trainers, nutrition coaches, teaching pros or other instructors ("personal training"). Personal training services are available to members, typically for a fee per session, upon completion of a Fitness Program Agreement.

• No Personal Training by Members or Guests. You may not solicit or conduct on the premises any personal training as defined above, with or without compensation. Life Time retains sole discretion to determine whether a member or guest is engaged in personal training.

Original review: April 22, 2019

If you're looking for a new health club, I would definitely recommend staying away from LifeTime Fitness. Not a clean facility. Wait times to use most of the equipment. They also closed without any notice on several days which ended up canceling my workout for the day. The process to end your membership is as complicated and time consuming as possible in hopes that you won't do it and continue letting them bill you. The unforgivable thing though: they are holding my credit card hostage and charging me for an extra month of membership just to get a few extra bucks out of me.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was a member here since 2009. The membership department in Westminster Colorado advised me to write a letter in January 2019 to cancel my membership, WHICH I DID. They continued to bill me for 2 months after the cancellation and 2 months after I called them to ask why they were trying to charge my credit card again they claimed that they never got the letter. Found out from one of their ex-employees that this is a common practice. I have paid over $3,000.00 in unused membership months, and apparently now they are broke so they keep calling my home phone (my renters advised me). Anyone interested in filing a Class Action Lawsuit against them for unethical consumer practices, please message me. They have been getting away with this for years. Can't wait to see them in court with a lineup of their former employees exposing these tactics.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Each time we show up to find pool closed, we ask why, and we’re told different answers about the hours of pool operation and kids’ pool / outdoor pool / outdoor slides hours. After being misinformed so many times, we were told the front desk now has a copy of pool hours and would give correct advice each time. So what happened today? Once again they said outdoor pool and slides open until 6 pm. We tried to go at 5 and were told “oh, no. Slides close at 5”. “And, outdoor pool is closed now.” “Why?” “Because of weather.” There is no rain. No lightning. No thunder. We asked why was this not “weather permitting??” “It’s too cold.” “It’s 74 degrees right now, and the pool is heated to 84. That’s not too cold.”

We asked a manager, who tried to reach the pool manager, but he had already gone home. She reached a lifeguard who said “well, there was wind.” Really? There’s wind here all the time. I asked if they could open it back up since it was not yet 6 (or bad weather) and was told no - only the manager who had already gone home can do that. Plus, the outdoor lifeguards all went home early today when they decided to close it early.

This might not be so bad if it was the first time this happened. But it’s not. So far, we joined about 2 and a half weeks ago and my son has never been able to use the slide because the gym keeps giving misinformation about whether or when it will be open, and then when we come during what should be open hours for the outdoor pool and slide, we’re greeted with misinformation that prevents him from using it. (Including just a few days ago when told he had to pass a 25 meter swim test but they didn’t think he could so they wouldn’t let him slide.)

Well, tonight, on our way to the outdoor pool, we had an indoor instructor test him and he passed just fine. She told us “but you don’t need this to use the slide. The swim test is to get a yellow band to use the pool unsupervised. He could have used the slide the other day. We know, there are lifeguards that give out the wrong information.” ??? Why? How hard is it to publish the pool and slide hours and rules and then stick with them and train staff on what they are so they can properly advise members???

Original review: March 12, 2019

This company is as crooked as they come. I had a membership with them through my former employer, but once I changed jobs I stopped going there. Obviously, I assumed my former employer would stop paying the monthly membership and they would close out the account. This is always how it has worked for me in the past with other gyms, and I’ve never had a problem. Now nine months later, Life Time Fitness is coming after me for a past due balance. It turns out my former employer just last month stopped paying for my membership, but Life Time would not let them close my account.

They would not let me cancel my membership over the phone either, so I came into their Carrollton location a few hours after receiving their email to officially close my account and clear up the confusion about the balance. Not only could they not have cared less about the mix up, but they told me I had to give a 30 day notice for my membership cancellation, which means I will also be responsible for April’s payment as well! Even though they just got 9 months of membership dues from my old employer for free, they now want to charge me for another 2 months!! So now, I can pay them close to $200 or, they will sell my account to a collections company which will damage my credit. How is this not extortion?? Life Time doesn’t care who they hurt, if they can get a couple extra $$ in return.

Life Time Fitness expert review by Joey Thurman

Life Time Fitness, also known as the Healthy Way of Life Company, is a privately held luxury fitness chain with 122 locations in 26 states and Canada. It offers resort-like fitness amenities, including swimming pools, basketball and racquetball courts, extensive group fitness classes, child centers, spas and personal training.

• Group fitness: Life Time offers a vast array of classes for all fitness levels. These include indoor and outdoor cycling, yoga, swim, Pilates, strength training and many more.

• State-of-the-art equipment: Life Time offers a large selection of fitness equipment in several spacious rooms. Equipment includes free weights, functional training equipment, resistance equipment, weight machines, cardio equipment and more.

• Rock walls: Most Life Time locations feature rock walls with professional coaches to help make the experience safe and enjoyable. Children can also participate in rock wall climbing. Life Time offers both rock climbing classes and open climb.

• Kid’s services: In addition to childcare services, Life Time also offers programming specifically for children of various ages, including classes like karate, yoga, foreign languages and music. Life Time also holds camps during summer and other school breaks. Some locations offer birthday parties, childcare for Parents’ Night Out, sports classes and more.

• Spa services: Most Life Time locations offer spa services including hair cuts and color, massage, manicures and medical spa services. Non-members can also book services at a Life Time spa. Life Time offers pools, saunas and steam rooms for a spa-like experience.

• Best for: those who want a luxury fitness experience, fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Life Time Fitness Company Information