1.65/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

57 Life Time Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was a Charter member at the Houston Willowbrook location for the first 6 years. I cancelled my membership because the entire management and staff turned over, and the facilities and offerings started to decline. About 2 years later I got married and signed up again. The facilities continued to get worse, and parts of the gym were always under lengthy repair, and not available.

I went rock climb on Halloween, and they had the wall closed, but never posted it. I had a buddy that drove several hours to climb with me for the first time, and we couldn't climb. We were walking out when someone came running up to me yelling that we couldn't use the wall. I told him it was obvious because they had closed the wall, but never posted it. He continued to bow up to me and threaten me and said there were signs everywhere, which was not true. I called corporate and filed a complaint against him, and it turns out he was the manager, and they banned me for life.

About 1.5 years later they called me and asked me to come back, because the manager was gone. They had promoted him to district manager. At least he wasn't there so I continues to use the facilities. It has never been the same and I really don't like going any more. I moved about 75 miles away, and tried to cancel my membership over the phone, but they won't let you. You have to show up in person.

I drove the 150-mile round trip to the gym to cancel my membership on Halloween. They told me it would be another 30 days before it cancelled and I signed a document. I was billed again in December, and drove down again to get a refund. They told me that I never signed anything. They had record of me coming in to cancel, but they didn't cancel my membership. No one was available to talk with me because they were all in a "meeting." I asked the girl at the front desk for the Corporate Office Customer Relations. I told them what happened and they told me that I never signed their document. I asked them how much sense it made for me to drive 3 hours to cancel my membership, and then not cancel it. I got transferred and hung up on 6X by Corporate "customer relations" and they told me they would not refund my $80 membership fee that had just been withdrawn.

Life Time Fitness is the absolute worst when it comes to taking care of their members, and listening to their concerns. I made friends with a lot of the original employees and they all had quit because of how corporate became, and how there was no longer any real customer relations. I will NEVER step foot in another Life Time facility, and will NEVER, EVER recommend that anyone signs up. Good luck to any of you who try to cancel your memberships.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been with this club for 8 years, and the first 5 years or so were fantastic, but after that I have seen a steady rapid decline in cleanliness, customer service, quality of instructors, quality of equipment, as well as huge increase in monthly rates and crowds. Rates increased more than 20% this year compared to last year. Company and staff does not care about the user experience or quality of the club; they only want your money. Corporate only cares about their top and bottom line. Avoid. There are plenty of other gyms that are much less expensive and offer a much better facility and overall experience.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

When you join they call you and try to be friendly. But when you want to hold the membership you have to go to the gym and then when you want to cancel of course not over the phone. They rip you off and charge for a month that you are not using claiming that the cancellation takes 30 days and the fine print when you join indicates that you will pay that. So you pay joining fees and then cancellation fees in the form of the monthly membership. Awful experience and I would not recommend the gym to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Life Time Fitness is a horrible, horrible experience. First, they will hide tons of stuff in the fine print so beware of that. The gym is nice but be prepared to pay through the nose and you will keep being sold and pressured and sold and pressured to partake in their other services. Think about buying a car and then stuck in the dealership as other sales people funnel through and sell you more and more services. I have met a few nice employees but most of them are jerks.

Here's the best part, they incentivize you to spend money there and refer people by something called Life Time Dollars but you cannot use them on most things you would actually like to purchase. And then when you finally do find something you can use them on, guess what... they have expired. The people that convinced me to join have all left. Did you ever do business with a company and end up hating them so much that you wish they would go out of business, and you find happiness in the fact they finally do go out of business? If so, that is exactly how you will feel about Life Time Fitness!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I cancelled my Pilates program in writing with responses back stating it was taken care of. I was charged the following month AGAIN for 200.00 for the Pilates add-on. I am trying to move and really needed the 200.00. I filed a dispute with my bank, with email correspondence between myself and Life Time where it was cancelled in the 30 day time period required (which is already ridiculous). I have sent a follow up email to every email address I could find on this - which in and of itself is difficult as they do not like to post any contact info and try to be secretive - UNLESS YOU WANT TO JOIN and salespeople harass you to no end.

Now I am cancelling my actual membership due to this issue, but fear I will continue to be charged on this as well after the cancel period. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND LIFE TIME FITNESS TO ANYONE for the simple fact that if you ever need to cancel it's almost impossible and EVERY VISIT YOU WILL BE HARASSED BY STAFF TRYING TO UPSELL YOU PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. It's hard to concentrate on working out in such a PUSHY SALES ENVIRONMENT. DO NOT JOIN LIFE TIME!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The whirlpool is functioning 1 out of 4 days. It will be closed for 3 to 4 weeks, open for one down for 4. No staff can say when it will be up. Ask any 3 when, and you will get 3 different answers. This club is more interested in membership numbers than operations. It is not cheap.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

BEWARE when buying a "One-year membership"! They don't tell you, but you have to go into the gym to cancel or they keep charging your card. I didn't have time to exercise...I have time to go in to cancel??? The gym didn't have classes that fit my schedule and even though I wasn't taking advantage of the gym, I honored the one-year contract I signed. At the end, I called to cancel only to be told I had to come in. I told the girl that I signed a one year contract and that was it. She very snottily replied, "No, you signed a contract for a certain price for a year. There's no end to the contract." Talk about misleading! No wonder gym memberships have a bad name. Very, very sleazy.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

A member of the “family oriented” gym since 2009. It’s more like a lice-infested, phlegm-ridden, hair in the pool and dirty locker room type of establishment. If you decide to voice an opinion they will terminate your membership because you had an opinion that they did not like and did not put their club in a good light. The club in reference was in Loudoun County. At first, it was clean and well kept. They kept members down. Then to get numbers up let everybody in, stopped cleaning, no controls. It turned into a developing nation. Sewer issues. People in the pool with clothes on. Staff just turned their heads - “family environment" remember paying member!

Countless times did the kids center shut down for lice, hand foot, people getting measles. Members blowing snot in the sauna. Such a lovely gym. Then you voice this and get terminated - I actually moved far away from the cesspool and went to another. You still have the same type of staff in other cities. I am not at all sad by this. They are just out to make a $ with their family propaganda and their overpriced healthy way. Soon enough their brand will buried as they should be, has beens like most of the clientele.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Life Time offers child care for two hours a day, including infant care, but makes it very difficult to actually use the infant care. I am constantly browbeaten for arriving as little as fifteen minutes late with my child for whom the LT policy says it is merely "recommended" that I reserve a spot for. Childcare manager lied about advance reservation requirements and is basically trying to push us out because there are no other infants mid-afternoon and they can save money by sending staff home early if no infant is scheduled. The pumped in fragrance throughout the facility is akin to the whole corporate mind-think attendant there. Orwellian best describes the whole environment. Vonnegut would have had a field day with it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I canceled my membership with Life Time Fitness a month ago and they are still charging me additional fees of 44 dollars for membership dues... Their response time to any voicemails is approximately a week and 3 days to tell you anything. They are all about taking your money no matter what and their professionalism is non existent, worse experience ever. My suggestion is to seek other reputable Gyms in your area. Unless you enjoy throwing your money away for no reason at all.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

This organization utilizes bullying tactics that are ridiculous. There is no way that as a consumer they are not able to cancel your membership in person, over the phone or online. They muscled me into placing my account on hold months back when I wanted to cancel. I told them discontinue it last month and they would not do it because they want me to come in and sign that I want it closed. DocuSign should be an option for consumers instead of the salesmen that try and keep you obligated. I was told that I can mail a letter saying to cancel my membership. That is so ridiculous. I have not stepped foot in this gym for several months now but, they are trying to keep charging me. This is deceptive practices. You feel like you don’t have a choice. It’s quite ridiculous and infuriating.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Terrible experience. First, my child had a very bad experience in kids academy and have had to go to the hospital multiple times, the staff didnt even know a thing what to do... no ice, no protocol, and didnt call me!!! Kids academy is dangerous and out of control, so many bad experiences in there. 2, so many things don’t work such as: pool closes a lot, jacuzzi closed randomly, wait time at cafe is a lot but the worse part is the inconsistency of knowledge of the staff. They all say different things and before you join they are great but as soon as you join you're just a number and do NOT care about you at all!!

I joined for my kids to join the kids academy... they give them IPADs to watch every time and they sold me on all the activities possible!!! The training staff and coaches are also low quality and sold as if they are good!!! Waste of money. However, the gym machines are good and pretty clean. I have so many negative experiences. It's a complete shambles.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This organization is into extortion and bullying tactics that will be classified as illegal one day. There is no way that as a consumer they are not able to cancel your membership in person, over the phone or online. They muscled me into placing my account on hold months back when I wanted to cancel. I told them discontinue it last month and they would not do it because they want me to come in and sign that I want it closed. Docusign should be an option for consumers instead of the salesmen that try and keep you obligated. I was told that I can mail a letter saying to cancel my membership. That is so ridiculous. I have not been to this gym since May but, they are trying to charge me $200.00 per month. I closed the account at my bank since they want to charge for services that I do not get. This is deceptive practices.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I got a HORRIFIC BACTERIAL INFECTION on my face, head and in my eyes from the steam room droplets from the ceiling that fell on my head. My doctor took cultures and verified tons of crazy bacteria growing in the dish. I have missed work and spent much time in the doctor's offices trying to clear this up. I stopped by and talked to one of the managers on 9/6/18. I was promised follow up calls from managers and even the GM. NOTHING AS OF TODAY!!! We pay over $200 a month for a family membership. Thank God it was me and not one of my children!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I was a member for 2 years and everything was great. Was injured and had to cancel membership. They tried to get me to put it on hold but I refused and said I need it cancelled. Went through this conversation several times of me cancelling, them trying to put account on hold, and finally them saying they'll cancel it only to have keep calling later on saying my membership is past due. I finally called the Better Business Bureau to get it cancelled but they are still trying to get me to pay for months after I quit. Luckily after I paid the first extra month I cancelled my credit card so they couldn't keep charging me. I will never recommend Life Time Fitness to anybody. Not even an enemy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I cancelled my membership four years ago. The rep asked if I wanted to just freeze my rate until I was able to return to the gym. He told me it would be around $12 per month and I could quit at any time if I didn't want to keep the "freeze status". I continued to leave it in a 'freeze mode' for the next four years. When my credit card changed, I didn't resubmit my new number as I had wanted to go ahead and cancel it. I received a notice from them via email and told them I wish to cancel but would pay that month. That was not good enough for them.

Funny how they can communicate to me via email, but they are saying I am not allowed to. Nowhere in the new freeze mode contract did it say I have to go in person or send a certified letter. I made multiple attempts to cancel via the rep that called me. I have been harassed daily by this organization. I had an attorney look at what they sent me and he said it was bogus and they could absolutely cancel over the phone or via email. After all, email is in writing. I warn anyone looking to join to carefully review and understand that they are basically a collections agency. I would never recommend joining their gym.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our family joined the club 2017 and in December we needed to cancel our membership due to unforeseen circumstances. First they said I had to come in the only way, then I heard I could send a certified letter which I did. Almost immediately I started receiving emails saying we were delinquent and owed almost $900. I was beside myself. I responded to Corp Steven ** and finally paid for an additional month due to the way they charge. They automatic start charging for personal training when you fall for that scam.

I still have an outstanding balance of over $500. Long story short he could not help get back my personal training money. The branch ignores you. The personal training ignores you. Corporate can’t help. It’s all a scam. I am looking for anyone interested in getting a class action suit started. There has got to be a way of getting back your money that you paid for services you never received. Oh and they will tell you because you got it at a discounted price! Lol

Original review: July 5, 2018

Would give ten stars but kids in the main gym and locker room, super inappropriate. Told there was going to be tennis courts built; no courts. Need more early morning classes. Hair salon should open early to get the before work crowd. Cafe could be much healthier and offer a kiosk to check out, pick up and go items to relieve heavy long lines. The staff at Franklin, TN are awesome and it's a brand new gym. Very clean.

Original review: July 3, 2018

They are rip-offs. Points expire without warning after making you jump through hoops to get them in the first place, don't reinstate them when they do expire. Promise you the world but make you pay extra for everything and never give you anything in the end. Overall a major attitude, the snobbiness is gross... And that's just the start of it.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I go to the Life Time Fitness in King of Prussia. The staff (for the most part) seems friendly and are always smiling. However, why is there kids in the fitness area using the machines with no supervision? Why is the horrible music blasting?! Why do towels pile up in the locker room and no wipes to wipe the machines down? Maybe staff should stop flirting with each other and focus on their jobs!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I loved it when they opened but as time went on they would rent out areas like basketball courts areas and pools so I could never really use what’s I’m paying so much for. It was pretty dirty for the price especially the hot tub. Price went up drastically “platinum, gold” but it’s still the same gym which less things to use. Will not return my business with Life Time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Heavy price. Though I am participating through silver sneakers free. What a bargain! No pool or track at Apex NC facility, but it is less expensive than their gold club in Cary NC.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have been battling with Life Time now for 12 months to have a $960 overcharge to my account refunded. 12 MONTHS!!! So many excuses, no action. Terrible customer service. Avoid like the plague - unless you like to waste your money.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was greeted by two employees and they both had big smiles on their faces when greeted me and welcomed to their facility. The joining process went very well, they explained what they offered, the hours, and other facilities available if I needed them. They explained how each piece of equipment work with a demonstration, and what to do if there was an injury. They were EXCEPTIONAL!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I get my membership free thru United Health Care. I like it! I ride the bike for 30 minutes; do about 6 sets of weight exercises. Showers are also available.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I really enjoy my gym experience. There is plenty of machines and the only downside is if I were not a previous member of the gym they bought out my membership fees would be through the roof.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is the third gym that we have joined in this area and it is the best by far. This is due to the physical size and large amount of equipment, numerous activities including tennis, squash and pickle ball, indoor and outdoor pools, cleanliness and most of all, the super friendly and efficient staff.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Life Time can be great club but beware of corporate and their contract policy. I had a medical condition and talked to corporate and they canceled for $42. And then they re-activated it and hit my account and reinstated billing. When I asked why they said I had to go into the club in order to cancel, after I was told it would cancel everything out. I couldn't go into the club so they just keep billing me even though I have had no activity on my membership for 6 months. Corporate is not honest or reasonable in my opinion. Find another gym unless it a throwaway for you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Such a community-oriented gym. Staff works their butts off and everyone smiles and knows your name. Offers any equipment or classes or knowledge you need to be successful at fitness.

Original review: May 30, 2018

As if things couldn't get more unsavory... come to find out that if your child misses a swim lesson, there is no make-up lesson, but instead they get a "missed lesson credit." Once you have to accumulated 4 of these credits you get a lesson. This applies even when the missed lesson is the fault of the club! We missed a lesson because there was a power outage at the club and were given the "missed lesson credit" and were told that we would have to get 3 more in order to have a full lesson.

IN WHAT ALTERED REALITY IS THIS REMOTELY FAIR OR EQUITABLE?!! We PAID for a lesson, at least give us a full refund. I have to say that I will encourage anyone looking for swim lessons to look elsewhere, as this process is seriously flawed. What person that pays $20 to go to a movie and the projector is broken is going to be happy with a $5 movie credit?! That is essentially what is going on here. Please Life Time... Tell me how this is right, fair and honest.

Life Time Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Life Time Fitness, also known as the Healthy Way of Life Company, is a privately held luxury fitness chain with 122 locations in 26 states and Canada. It offers resort-like fitness amenities, including swimming pools, basketball and racquetball courts, extensive group fitness classes, child centers, spas and personal training.

• Group fitness: Life Time offers a vast array of classes for all fitness levels. These include indoor and outdoor cycling, yoga, swim, Pilates, strength training and many more.

• State-of-the-art equipment: Life Time offers a large selection of fitness equipment in several spacious rooms. Equipment includes free weights, functional training equipment, resistance equipment, weight machines, cardio equipment and more.

• Rock walls: Most Life Time locations feature rock walls with professional coaches to help make the experience safe and enjoyable. Children can also participate in rock wall climbing. Life Time offers both rock climbing classes and open climb.

• Kid’s services: In addition to childcare services, Life Time also offers programming specifically for children of various ages, including classes like karate, yoga, foreign languages and music. Life Time also holds camps during summer and other school breaks. Some locations offer birthday parties, childcare for Parents’ Night Out, sports classes and more.

• Spa services: Most Life Time locations offer spa services including hair cuts and color, massage, manicures and medical spa services. Non-members can also book services at a Life Time spa. Life Time offers pools, saunas and steam rooms for a spa-like experience.

• Best for: those who want a luxury fitness experience, fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs