1.99/5

50 Life Time Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Life Time offers child care for two hours a day, including infant care, but makes it very difficult to actually use the infant care. I am constantly browbeaten for arriving as little as fifteen minutes late with my child for whom the LT policy says it is merely "recommended" that I reserve a spot for. Childcare manager lied about advance reservation requirements and is basically trying to push us out because there are no other infants mid-afternoon and they can save money by sending staff home early if no infant is scheduled. The pumped in fragrance throughout the facility is akin to the whole corporate mind-think attendant there. Orwellian best describes the whole environment. Vonnegut would have had a field day with it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I canceled my membership with Life Time Fitness a month ago and they are still charging me additional fees of 44 dollars for membership dues... Their response time to any voicemails is approximately a week and 3 days to tell you anything. They are all about taking your money no matter what and their professionalism is non existent, worse experience ever. My suggestion is to seek other reputable Gyms in your area. Unless you enjoy throwing your money away for no reason at all.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

This organization utilizes bullying tactics that are ridiculous. There is no way that as a consumer they are not able to cancel your membership in person, over the phone or online. They muscled me into placing my account on hold months back when I wanted to cancel. I told them discontinue it last month and they would not do it because they want me to come in and sign that I want it closed. DocuSign should be an option for consumers instead of the salesmen that try and keep you obligated. I was told that I can mail a letter saying to cancel my membership. That is so ridiculous. I have not stepped foot in this gym for several months now but, they are trying to keep charging me. This is deceptive practices. You feel like you don’t have a choice. It’s quite ridiculous and infuriating.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I've had good experiences at Life Time Fitness and I've had bad experiences at Life Time Fitness. Generally, the bad "Lifetimes" are the ones way out in the wealthy suburbs. These ones tend to have nothing but meathead bodybuilders and spoiled rich people that go there. The staff are rude jerks because they too are spoiled rich kids from the 'burbs and can't handle the responsibility that comes with a real job. The staff at Reston, VA are complete jerks. I've had similar experiences to this at the Life Time Fitness' in suburban Philadelphia. There are a few good lifetimes but they are few and far between. I am the type of person who likes to lift a little. I don't take it to seriously and I don't want to deal with crap from ** Stan. However, this is what you will get at Life Time especially in Reston. I've never seen as many obvious ** users in one place as I have in Life Time Fitness. This gym is a joke.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Terrible experience. First, my child had a very bad experience in kids academy and have had to go to the hospital multiple times, the staff didnt even know a thing what to do... no ice, no protocol, and didnt call me!!! Kids academy is dangerous and out of control, so many bad experiences in there. 2, so many things don’t work such as: pool closes a lot, jacuzzi closed randomly, wait time at cafe is a lot but the worse part is the inconsistency of knowledge of the staff. They all say different things and before you join they are great but as soon as you join you're just a number and do NOT care about you at all!!

I joined for my kids to join the kids academy... they give them IPADs to watch every time and they sold me on all the activities possible!!! The training staff and coaches are also low quality and sold as if they are good!!! Waste of money. However, the gym machines are good and pretty clean. I have so many negative experiences. It's a complete shambles.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This organization is into extortion and bullying tactics that will be classified as illegal one day. There is no way that as a consumer they are not able to cancel your membership in person, over the phone or online. They muscled me into placing my account on hold months back when I wanted to cancel. I told them discontinue it last month and they would not do it because they want me to come in and sign that I want it closed. Docusign should be an option for consumers instead of the salesmen that try and keep you obligated. I was told that I can mail a letter saying to cancel my membership. That is so ridiculous. I have not been to this gym since May but, they are trying to charge me $200.00 per month. I closed the account at my bank since they want to charge for services that I do not get. This is deceptive practices.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I got a HORRIFIC BACTERIAL INFECTION on my face, head and in my eyes from the steam room droplets from the ceiling that fell on my head. My doctor took cultures and verified tons of crazy bacteria growing in the dish. I have missed work and spent much time in the doctor's offices trying to clear this up. I stopped by and talked to one of the managers on 9/6/18. I was promised follow up calls from managers and even the GM. NOTHING AS OF TODAY!!! We pay over $200 a month for a family membership. Thank God it was me and not one of my children!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I was a member for 2 years and everything was great. Was injured and had to cancel membership. They tried to get me to put it on hold but I refused and said I need it cancelled. Went through this conversation several times of me cancelling, them trying to put account on hold, and finally them saying they'll cancel it only to have keep calling later on saying my membership is past due. I finally called the Better Business Bureau to get it cancelled but they are still trying to get me to pay for months after I quit. Luckily after I paid the first extra month I cancelled my credit card so they couldn't keep charging me. I will never recommend Life Time Fitness to anybody. Not even an enemy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I cancelled my membership four years ago. The rep asked if I wanted to just freeze my rate until I was able to return to the gym. He told me it would be around $12 per month and I could quit at any time if I didn't want to keep the "freeze status". I continued to leave it in a 'freeze mode' for the next four years. When my credit card changed, I didn't resubmit my new number as I had wanted to go ahead and cancel it. I received a notice from them via email and told them I wish to cancel but would pay that month. That was not good enough for them.

Funny how they can communicate to me via email, but they are saying I am not allowed to. Nowhere in the new freeze mode contract did it say I have to go in person or send a certified letter. I made multiple attempts to cancel via the rep that called me. I have been harassed daily by this organization. I had an attorney look at what they sent me and he said it was bogus and they could absolutely cancel over the phone or via email. After all, email is in writing. I warn anyone looking to join to carefully review and understand that they are basically a collections agency. I would never recommend joining their gym.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our family joined the club 2017 and in December we needed to cancel our membership due to unforeseen circumstances. First they said I had to come in the only way, then I heard I could send a certified letter which I did. Almost immediately I started receiving emails saying we were delinquent and owed almost $900. I was beside myself. I responded to Corp Steven ** and finally paid for an additional month due to the way they charge. They automatic start charging for personal training when you fall for that scam.

I still have an outstanding balance of over $500. Long story short he could not help get back my personal training money. The branch ignores you. The personal training ignores you. Corporate can’t help. It’s all a scam. I am looking for anyone interested in getting a class action suit started. There has got to be a way of getting back your money that you paid for services you never received. Oh and they will tell you because you got it at a discounted price! Lol

Original review: July 5, 2018

Would give ten stars but kids in the main gym and locker room, super inappropriate. Told there was going to be tennis courts built; no courts. Need more early morning classes. Hair salon should open early to get the before work crowd. Cafe could be much healthier and offer a kiosk to check out, pick up and go items to relieve heavy long lines. The staff at Franklin, TN are awesome and it's a brand new gym. Very clean.

Original review: July 3, 2018

They are rip-offs. Points expire without warning after making you jump through hoops to get them in the first place, don't reinstate them when they do expire. Promise you the world but make you pay extra for everything and never give you anything in the end. Overall a major attitude, the snobbiness is gross... And that's just the start of it.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I go to the Life Time Fitness in King of Prussia. The staff (for the most part) seems friendly and are always smiling. However, why is there kids in the fitness area using the machines with no supervision? Why is the horrible music blasting?! Why do towels pile up in the locker room and no wipes to wipe the machines down? Maybe staff should stop flirting with each other and focus on their jobs!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I loved it when they opened but as time went on they would rent out areas like basketball courts areas and pools so I could never really use what’s I’m paying so much for. It was pretty dirty for the price especially the hot tub. Price went up drastically “platinum, gold” but it’s still the same gym which less things to use. Will not return my business with Life Time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Heavy price. Though I am participating through silver sneakers free. What a bargain! No pool or track at Apex NC facility, but it is less expensive than their gold club in Cary NC.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have been battling with Life Time now for 12 months to have a $960 overcharge to my account refunded. 12 MONTHS!!! So many excuses, no action. Terrible customer service. Avoid like the plague - unless you like to waste your money.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was greeted by two employees and they both had big smiles on their faces when greeted me and welcomed to their facility. The joining process went very well, they explained what they offered, the hours, and other facilities available if I needed them. They explained how each piece of equipment work with a demonstration, and what to do if there was an injury. They were EXCEPTIONAL!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I get my membership free thru United Health Care. I like it! I ride the bike for 30 minutes; do about 6 sets of weight exercises. Showers are also available.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I really enjoy my gym experience. There is plenty of machines and the only downside is if I were not a previous member of the gym they bought out my membership fees would be through the roof.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is the third gym that we have joined in this area and it is the best by far. This is due to the physical size and large amount of equipment, numerous activities including tennis, squash and pickle ball, indoor and outdoor pools, cleanliness and most of all, the super friendly and efficient staff.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Life Time can be great club but beware of corporate and their contract policy. I had a medical condition and talked to corporate and they canceled for $42. And then they re-activated it and hit my account and reinstated billing. When I asked why they said I had to go into the club in order to cancel, after I was told it would cancel everything out. I couldn't go into the club so they just keep billing me even though I have had no activity on my membership for 6 months. Corporate is not honest or reasonable in my opinion. Find another gym unless it a throwaway for you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Such a community-oriented gym. Staff works their butts off and everyone smiles and knows your name. Offers any equipment or classes or knowledge you need to be successful at fitness.

Original review: May 30, 2018

As if things couldn't get more unsavory... come to find out that if your child misses a swim lesson, there is no make-up lesson, but instead they get a "missed lesson credit." Once you have to accumulated 4 of these credits you get a lesson. This applies even when the missed lesson is the fault of the club! We missed a lesson because there was a power outage at the club and were given the "missed lesson credit" and were told that we would have to get 3 more in order to have a full lesson.

IN WHAT ALTERED REALITY IS THIS REMOTELY FAIR OR EQUITABLE?!! We PAID for a lesson, at least give us a full refund. I have to say that I will encourage anyone looking for swim lessons to look elsewhere, as this process is seriously flawed. What person that pays $20 to go to a movie and the projector is broken is going to be happy with a $5 movie credit?! That is essentially what is going on here. Please Life Time... Tell me how this is right, fair and honest.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It is clean, bright and all the equipment is brand new. Many classes are available for all skill levels. I don't think anyone would find fault with this place. I just wish it was a little bit cheaper. $169 per/month is a bit too steep.

Original review: May 27, 2018

It is kept up well and I never have to wait for a cardio machine. But I wish they would lower the price to $50 a month. I pay the higher price because it is close to home and it is a really nice gym.

Original review: May 9, 2018

You pay so much - they treat you like a bug. Wow!!! You can’t voice your opinion or they will throw you and your kids from the club. They discriminating my family because we made several complaints on their employees and classes whom they think they are the boss of this universe. The classes never start on time. They rate you by stars. The family room is freezing, dirty floor at shower women room. Their staff is rude. Kids' manager is horrible. Because we are Jewish or Israelíes they threw my kids from their kids' progressive classes.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Me and my family are members for several years. We chose to be member Because it look cleaner and nicer than other gym and we didn't mind to pay extra to get better services. But I had awful experiences with people cleaning women's dressing room. The employees in women's dressing extremely rude. They fight and screaming at you if you put towel on floor. Their manager also are rude and they blaming me. They said it is my responsibility to clean. The end, I apologized to them to leave my towel. I am afraid next time when I go there they screaming at me to clean bathroom for them also. They almost make me cry????

Original review: April 6, 2018

Bad experience with this health club. They will insist you go meet with trainers then hard sell you into buying their services. You are led to believe you can pay as you go and it is casual, but then you are instantly locked into contract. They charge your credit card in full. If you call to ask about it, they of course will not accept your calls. YOU CANNOT CANCEL! I literally thought stuff like this did not exist anymore. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL IT IS PRINTED OUT AND YOU CAN REVIEW IT! It is a nice club... I just would not sign anything on their electronic pads without reading it first. After joining it’s like going to a timeshare sales event. #BECAREFUL.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My husband and I have essentially been donating money to this gym for years. We had memberships we weren't using, so we eventually put our memberships on hold for $10 a month. They don't tell you that your membership will automatically go back to the full amount. READ FINE PRINT because they purposely withhold this information.

THE WORST PART... My husband went in, canceled our on-hold memberships. He remembers the woman that canceled our memberships, can explain what she looks like perfectly, AND Life Time admitted that this employee no longer works for them. Turns out she DID NOT cancel our membership. We TRUSTED THEIR STAFF to do a simple task, and instead, we were charged for 4 additional months. That's $450 they took from us, when we NEVER went to the gym, and believed our memberships to be canceled. Even though Lifetime knows the staff member that lied to us - they did NOTHING to refund our money. Had us call corporate, who also did NOTHING. TAKE YOUR MONEY AND JOIN SOMEWHERE THAT CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!! We've had wonderful experiences thus far at Orange Theory Fitness.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I spend a ton of money for my gym membership and an additional $60 a month for my daughter's 25min swim lesson once a week. It used to be if you missed a lesson you simply scheduled a make up. Recently my five year old split her chin open riding her bike and had to have it glued. We were instructed not to swim for at least ten days. She missed two swim lessons. We are now being told that she can't make these up, even though she hasn't missed any others this year AND I have to submit a doctor's note in order to get a make up lesson after accumulating 4 missed lessons. Get real! Life is hard enough! I have spend money now to get a note from the doctor for a make up after 2 more, for something I have already paid for! We will be taking our business elsewhere.

Life Time Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Life Time Fitness, also known as the Healthy Way of Life Company, is a privately held luxury fitness chain with 122 locations in 26 states and Canada. It offers resort-like fitness amenities, including swimming pools, basketball and racquetball courts, extensive group fitness classes, child centers, spas and personal training.

• Group fitness: Life Time offers a vast array of classes for all fitness levels. These include indoor and outdoor cycling, yoga, swim, Pilates, strength training and many more.

• State-of-the-art equipment: Life Time offers a large selection of fitness equipment in several spacious rooms. Equipment includes free weights, functional training equipment, resistance equipment, weight machines, cardio equipment and more.

• Rock walls: Most Life Time locations feature rock walls with professional coaches to help make the experience safe and enjoyable. Children can also participate in rock wall climbing. Life Time offers both rock climbing classes and open climb.

• Kid’s services: In addition to childcare services, Life Time also offers programming specifically for children of various ages, including classes like karate, yoga, foreign languages and music. Life Time also holds camps during summer and other school breaks. Some locations offer birthday parties, childcare for Parents’ Night Out, sports classes and more.

• Spa services: Most Life Time locations offer spa services including hair cuts and color, massage, manicures and medical spa services. Non-members can also book services at a Life Time spa. Life Time offers pools, saunas and steam rooms for a spa-like experience.

• Best for: those who want a luxury fitness experience, fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs