2.51/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

41 Life Time Fitness Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

Our family joined the club 2017 and in December we needed to cancel our membership due to unforeseen circumstances. First they said I had to come in the only way, then I heard I could send a certified letter which I did. Almost immediately I started receiving emails saying we were delinquent and owed almost $900. I was beside myself. I responded to Corp Steven ** and finally paid for an additional month due to the way they charge. They automatic start charging for personal training when you fall for that scam.

I still have an outstanding balance of over $500. Long story short he could not help get back my personal training money. The branch ignores you. The personal training ignores you. Corporate can’t help. It’s all a scam. I am looking for anyone interested in getting a class action suit started. There has got to be a way of getting back your money that you paid for services you never received. Oh and they will tell you because you got it at a discounted price! Lol

Original review: July 5, 2018

Would give ten stars but kids in the main gym and locker room, super inappropriate. Told there was going to be tennis courts built; no courts. Need more early morning classes. Hair salon should open early to get the before work crowd. Cafe could be much healthier and offer a kiosk to check out, pick up and go items to relieve heavy long lines. The staff at Franklin, TN are awesome and it's a brand new gym. Very clean.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2018

They are rip-offs. Points expire without warning after making you jump through hoops to get them in the first place, don't reinstate them when they do expire. Promise you the world but make you pay extra for everything and never give you anything in the end. Overall a major attitude, the snobbiness is gross... And that's just the start of it.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I go to the Life Time Fitness in King of Prussia. The staff (for the most part) seems friendly and are always smiling. However, why is there kids in the fitness area using the machines with no supervision? Why is the horrible music blasting?! Why do towels pile up in the locker room and no wipes to wipe the machines down? Maybe staff should stop flirting with each other and focus on their jobs!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I loved it when they opened but as time went on they would rent out areas like basketball courts areas and pools so I could never really use what’s I’m paying so much for. It was pretty dirty for the price especially the hot tub. Price went up drastically “platinum, gold” but it’s still the same gym which less things to use. Will not return my business with Life Time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Heavy price. Though I am participating through silver sneakers free. What a bargain! No pool or track at Apex NC facility, but it is less expensive than their gold club in Cary NC.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have been battling with Life Time now for 12 months to have a $960 overcharge to my account refunded. 12 MONTHS!!! So many excuses, no action. Terrible customer service. Avoid like the plague - unless you like to waste your money.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was greeted by two employees and they both had big smiles on their faces when greeted me and welcomed to their facility. The joining process went very well, they explained what they offered, the hours, and other facilities available if I needed them. They explained how each piece of equipment work with a demonstration, and what to do if there was an injury. They were EXCEPTIONAL!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I get my membership free thru United Health Care. I like it! I ride the bike for 30 minutes; do about 6 sets of weight exercises. Showers are also available.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I really enjoy my gym experience. There is plenty of machines and the only downside is if I were not a previous member of the gym they bought out my membership fees would be through the roof.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is the third gym that we have joined in this area and it is the best by far. This is due to the physical size and large amount of equipment, numerous activities including tennis, squash and pickle ball, indoor and outdoor pools, cleanliness and most of all, the super friendly and efficient staff.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Life Time can be great club but beware of corporate and their contract policy. I had a medical condition and talked to corporate and they canceled for $42. And then they re-activated it and hit my account and reinstated billing. When I asked why they said I had to go into the club in order to cancel, after I was told it would cancel everything out. I couldn't go into the club so they just keep billing me even though I have had no activity on my membership for 6 months. Corporate is not honest or reasonable in my opinion. Find another gym unless it a throwaway for you.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Such a community-oriented gym. Staff works their butts off and everyone smiles and knows your name. Offers any equipment or classes or knowledge you need to be successful at fitness.

Original review: May 30, 2018

As if things couldn't get more unsavory... come to find out that if your child misses a swim lesson, there is no make-up lesson, but instead they get a "missed lesson credit." Once you have to accumulated 4 of these credits you get a lesson. This applies even when the missed lesson is the fault of the club! We missed a lesson because there was a power outage at the club and were given the "missed lesson credit" and were told that we would have to get 3 more in order to have a full lesson.

IN WHAT ALTERED REALITY IS THIS REMOTELY FAIR OR EQUITABLE?!! We PAID for a lesson, at least give us a full refund. I have to say that I will encourage anyone looking for swim lessons to look elsewhere, as this process is seriously flawed. What person that pays $20 to go to a movie and the projector is broken is going to be happy with a $5 movie credit?! That is essentially what is going on here. Please Life Time... Tell me how this is right, fair and honest.

Original review: May 30, 2018

It is clean, bright and all the equipment is brand new. Many classes are available for all skill levels. I don't think anyone would find fault with this place. I just wish it was a little bit cheaper. $169 per/month is a bit too steep.

Original review: May 27, 2018

It is kept up well and I never have to wait for a cardio machine. But I wish they would lower the price to $50 a month. I pay the higher price because it is close to home and it is a really nice gym.

Original review: May 9, 2018

You pay so much - they treat you like a bug. Wow!!! You can’t voice your opinion or they will throw you and your kids from the club. They discriminating my family because we made several complaints on their employees and classes whom they think they are the boss of this universe. The classes never start on time. They rate you by stars. The family room is freezing, dirty floor at shower women room. Their staff is rude. Kids' manager is horrible. Because we are Jewish or Israelíes they threw my kids from their kids' progressive classes.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Me and my family are members for several years. We chose to be member Because it look cleaner and nicer than other gym and we didn't mind to pay extra to get better services. But I had awful experiences with people cleaning women's dressing room. The employees in women's dressing extremely rude. They fight and screaming at you if you put towel on floor. Their manager also are rude and they blaming me. They said it is my responsibility to clean. The end, I apologized to them to leave my towel. I am afraid next time when I go there they screaming at me to clean bathroom for them also. They almost make me cry????

Original review: April 6, 2018

Bad experience with this health club. They will insist you go meet with trainers then hard sell you into buying their services. You are led to believe you can pay as you go and it is casual, but then you are instantly locked into contract. They charge your credit card in full. If you call to ask about it, they of course will not accept your calls. YOU CANNOT CANCEL! I literally thought stuff like this did not exist anymore. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL IT IS PRINTED OUT AND YOU CAN REVIEW IT! It is a nice club... I just would not sign anything on their electronic pads without reading it first. After joining it’s like going to a timeshare sales event. #BECAREFUL.

Original review: March 26, 2018

My husband and I have essentially been donating money to this gym for years. We had memberships we weren't using, so we eventually put our memberships on hold for $10 a month. They don't tell you that your membership will automatically go back to the full amount. READ FINE PRINT because they purposely withhold this information.

THE WORST PART... My husband went in, canceled our on-hold memberships. He remembers the woman that canceled our memberships, can explain what she looks like perfectly, AND Life Time admitted that this employee no longer works for them. Turns out she DID NOT cancel our membership. We TRUSTED THEIR STAFF to do a simple task, and instead, we were charged for 4 additional months. That's $450 they took from us, when we NEVER went to the gym, and believed our memberships to be canceled. Even though Lifetime knows the staff member that lied to us - they did NOTHING to refund our money. Had us call corporate, who also did NOTHING. TAKE YOUR MONEY AND JOIN SOMEWHERE THAT CARES ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS!!! We've had wonderful experiences thus far at Orange Theory Fitness.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I spend a ton of money for my gym membership and an additional $60 a month for my daughter's 25min swim lesson once a week. It used to be if you missed a lesson you simply scheduled a make up. Recently my five year old split her chin open riding her bike and had to have it glued. We were instructed not to swim for at least ten days. She missed two swim lessons. We are now being told that she can't make these up, even though she hasn't missed any others this year AND I have to submit a doctor's note in order to get a make up lesson after accumulating 4 missed lessons. Get real! Life is hard enough! I have spend money now to get a note from the doctor for a make up after 2 more, for something I have already paid for! We will be taking our business elsewhere.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I went for a spa facial and went away with thermal & chemical burns on my face and neck which has required doctor's visits and prescriptions. The practitioner was rude when I went back to tell them what happened and to ask the temperature range of their towel warmer. The practitioner and spa manager admitted there was no temperature gauge just “on and off” and the practitioner “tests the temperature with her hands”. I went to urgent care who then referred me to a dermatologist. I missed a day of work and had to walk around for three days with rx creams and ointments on my face and neck and told to not have water contact with my damaged skin. Although the spa manager said she was submitting an incident report no one from Life Time has bothered to contact me. Maybe they’ll wake up when I come back to them with my medical bills! Never ever again!!!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I pay a lot of money to be a member at this club and I had a baby which it makes it harder to go after work to go to the gym when the gym isn't close to home. Called to cancel. They make you come in. Then I come in to find out even though I haven’t been using it for months I have to pay for another 30 days when I was told upon signing up you can cancel and you're done. They are liars. Wouldn’t even try to accommodate or be understanding. I was planning on rejoining when my son got older. I will never be back.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

After a relationship of approximately 20 years, I find that the service provided for the continually increasing fees (120 per year increase each of the last two years) is not worth the experience. Over the last year, I’ve noticed and had to point out the following: 1. Massive mold breach on the ceiling of the shower area (shower hallway) – Sterling/Loudoun, VA. 2. Sticky substance on equipment (remained there for over 2 weeks) – Sterling/Loudoun, VA. 3. Employee/Trainer inappropriate, rudeness – See manager at Reson, VA.

In addition the what I’ve pointed out, the following are also representative of a degraded experience: 1. Razor blades, gum, towels and the like in shower stalls, Sterling, VA. 2. Clocks continually out of sync in workout area (3 clocks all with times 10+ min’s apart), Sterling and Reston, VA. 3. Overly loud “aerobic area” music playing (for some sort of class) in the evenings, Sterling, VA. 4. Reduced offering of video service on aerobic equipment (channels dropped), Sterling and Reston, VA. It seems to me that reducing the experience AND increasing fees ($120 per year for each of the last two years) is not commensurate with a desire to retain customers.

I contacted the “Customer Relations” number to discuss and mostly all I received was what appeared to be someone stating policy: That I can cancel, but will be paying for one additional month of service for the cancellation to take place, and that “Life Time reserves the right to increase fees from time to time”. Whereas I would like to continue our relationship, I honestly refuse to do so with the current situation of experience being degraded and fees going up.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I really like Life Time. The kids have fun and I get a good workout. I haven't don't too many classes as they get a little full but the gym and staff are very pleasant. I feel my family enjoys it, open at 430/500 am when I go and it's clean. Bells and whistles aren't bad. Had one little bump and it was resolved in a very professional manner. I can appreciate effort to make a customer happy. Yes here it is the reason I give 2.5 stars. THE SALON IS HEINOUS A RIP OFF AND UNACCOUNTABLE FOR THE CRAPPY Job they do. I spent a pretty penny for high/low life lights and got butchered with the worst job I've had in over ten years. Spend even more money to fix my hair back to normal without killing it. I called and never got a call back. Went up there and was told to wait but got ignored. Rude from beginning to end. Go work out do a class or swim. It's great. AVOID SALON!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

Beautiful clubs but when it comes to customer service, they are absolutely AWFUL and frankly they don't care. Instead of trying to make things easy, they intentionally make things difficult. Member relations associates know that they aren't providing good service so intentionally refuse to give out their name. Think twice before doing business with this club. Being a loyal customer for years means nothing.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My family and I have been a member of Life Time Fitness for many years at other locations and absolutely loved it. Recently moved to Novi, MI area and joined the Novi club, and we (my family and I) hate it. The managers, teachers at child care, Kids academy person... All bunch of rude people. We enrolled our daughter in Kids academy at this club and drop her at the child center almost daily. The activity teachers are mostly 5-10 mins late and end classes early. The lady who checks kids into the Child center is super rude. We have spotted her shouting at kids a multiple times. Today the activity teacher for my child told her that she is too tired to teach today. Seriously? Can't deal with this anymore. Not returning to this club again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

One of the worst Life Time clubs in Metro Detroit. I've been a member at lifetime for more than 2 years and compared to Rochester and Troy Novi shouldn't be a gold member club. Considering that Troy isn't a gold member club facilities are far more superior. This isn't a one day experience I've been to this gym for more than a month. Not enough space for equipment, all crammed in together. Very loud music, so loud that you could hear even if you had your own music blasting in your earphones. Not enough toilet supplies, 1 lotion 1 shave cream for the whole men's changing room. Smelly showers. Squeaky equipment, feels like it's gonna break on you. Most of the equipment is always under use by training classes. Possibly the most Rude front desk assistant. I wouldn't recommend Novi and commerce township gym. I'd rather drive an hour than overpaying for this trashy gym.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I signed up for a membership on Thursday at end Of day 5-ish. So in setting my payments up I saw I had no money to cover all of the. The manager or membership associate, put notes on account not to charge full amount until the 8th. I then went to work Friday and got fired! I then emailed the welcome email stating that I lost my job and needed to cancel membership. So not even a full 24 hours went by and I tried to cancel. So after the holiday weekend I showed up on labor day and talked to manager on site. Then I hear I could have got all my 130 returned if I had not ever in my life been a member. I was a member 4 yrs ago. So I get no money back and have not used an hour of their services just cause I had in the past. What a joke! This setup is not good. I will spread the word about the terrible customer service and warn the returning customer.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Racist gym. I and my wife both asked for a quote for membership for our family for this gym. My quote was 50% more than the quote my wife got. It is very easy to tell from our names that I am Asian and my wife is **. Both quotes were given in the same day and by the same employee, Terry **. My quote is higher purely because of my race. The experience was appalling and disgusting. I have reported this to Texas Attorney General office and will proceed to expose this racist gym to the public. I am sure I am not the only one who was treated like this at this gym. If you were treated the same way, please also speak up. Do not be a silent victim.

Life Time Fitness expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Life Time Fitness, also known as the Healthy Way of Life Company, is a privately held luxury fitness chain with 122 locations in 26 states and Canada. It offers resort-like fitness amenities, including swimming pools, basketball and racquetball courts, extensive group fitness classes, child centers, spas and personal training.

• Group fitness: Life Time offers a vast array of classes for all fitness levels. These include indoor and outdoor cycling, yoga, swim, Pilates, strength training and many more.

• State-of-the-art equipment: Life Time offers a large selection of fitness equipment in several spacious rooms. Equipment includes free weights, functional training equipment, resistance equipment, weight machines, cardio equipment and more.

• Rock walls: Most Life Time locations feature rock walls with professional coaches to help make the experience safe and enjoyable. Children can also participate in rock wall climbing. Life Time offers both rock climbing classes and open climb.

• Kid’s services: In addition to childcare services, Life Time also offers programming specifically for children of various ages, including classes like karate, yoga, foreign languages and music. Life Time also holds camps during summer and other school breaks. Some locations offer birthday parties, childcare for Parents’ Night Out, sports classes and more.

• Spa services: Most Life Time locations offer spa services including hair cuts and color, massage, manicures and medical spa services. Non-members can also book services at a Life Time spa. Life Time offers pools, saunas and steam rooms for a spa-like experience.

• Best for: those who want a luxury fitness experience, fitness novices, athletes and fitness buffs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Life Time Fitness Company Information

www.lifetimefitness.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business