4.0/5 (57 ratings)

About Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Resolution response: March 5, 2021

After writing a very long email to the corporate offices expressing all that was outlined in my review, another rep reached out to me this morning and made things right. While I don’t appreciate the unnecessary aggravation and stress that I was put through initially I do appreciate the resolution in the end!

Original review: March 4, 2021

I have been a member since 2008. On several occasions I have tried to cancel my membership for various reasons, life changes, loss of job, lack of use etc. This club (pre-COVID) requires you to physically go into a location to cancel. This is so that they can pressure you into keeping your membership face to face by offering holds etc. I have taken them up on those offers a few times in hopes of recovering and being able to resume my membership.

In October or September of 2021 I contacted the club that I was a member at and let them know that I was not interested in keeping my membership any longer and that I would not be going into a facility due to COVID restrictions and out of concern for my own health and safety. Once again they were extremely willing to help and offered to put my membership on hold due to the COVID issues. I took them up on their offer again because I was hoping things would get back to normal eventually. On that phone call they told me that they understood the uncertainness and that they were handling all concerns via phone.

Unfortunately, things have not gotten back to normal yet and even further I have lost my employment due to COVID since then. I noticed my membership resumed on February 1, 2021 when a charge was made to my card thus jogging my memory that this was still in place and had resumed. I then called on 2/28/2021 to cancel the membership and was told that the membership would be cancelled. I clarified that my bank account would not be charged again due to the cancellation and they stated that it WOULD be because they require a 30 day notice. I let them know that was unacceptable as I had tried to cancel months ago but was offered a no-charge hold and that I was revoking authorization for any further charges.

The gentleman told me he did not have the power to refund or change anything but transferred me to the "corporate member relations" department to discuss options further. The voice mail system stated that they were returning phone calls due to reduced people in the office because of COVID restrictions. I left a voicemail explaining my situation and also stated I was revoking authorization for any charges to my bank account.

I then noticed a charge had gone through on 3/1/2021, understanding that the charge might not have been stopped due to systems timing, which I completely understood, I called the corporate member relations department on 3/4/2021 as I had not received a call back and asked for a refund. I was connected with a VERY rude, unempathetic and unhelpful individual with this department who NOT only refused to issue a refund but then ALSO let me know that my membership was NOT cancelled because I didn't fill out some sort of link or go into the club to cancel.

I explained to her that no one said anything about a link nor was I told I needed to go into a club when I called. She then told me she would send me the link but then quickly stated that the membership would terminate 30 days from the date of the form being completed. Convenient now that it's 4 days into the new month and 4 days past the monthly fee. I let her know that was unacceptable because the person I spoke to on the 28th made no mention of this and she basically said "too bad". I am appalled by these practices and feel they are unethical and designed to psychologically trap people. COVID has caused many issues people were not prepared for and I would think that a club that charges quite a bit for its membership would be willing to be a little more courteous to its members.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I’ve been a member for well over 10 years. They keep upping the rates even on loyal members. This company is full of nothing but liars and thieves. Patiently waiting for the day they fall. They only care about $.

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

My family and I have been members of the Bridgewater NJ facility for over a year. Obviously, the virus hit and they were forced to suspend business. On August 28, 2020 we submitted a hold as per their instructions, as the government had approved reopening and I have a chronic respiratory issue, and did not feel it would be prudent. After reviewing our credit cards it turns out they never stop charging us. While I foolishly did not monitor our credit card better, their contention is that even they were informed of our suspension status they could not refund the money as it was over thirty days.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

The whole point of joining Life Time, aside from the classes were for its 24/7 facilities. The pricing is high, however it was justified by the running maintenance of it being all day & night. It now has the same hours as every other gym - or worse, and the classes are too few and too hard to come by with the new covid stipulations. Why am I paying the same high price for half of your delivery? Furthermore you are no longer abiding by the terms of the contract stating the amount of money we are paying for what was to be a 24/7 facility? This needs to be addressed & handled...

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

The stupid policy this place created in response to Covid is asinine. There is already ridiculous policy concerning swimming kids and adult feet having to be in the water even though the kids can swim perfect not to mention they can stand up in the water. Now though I get harassed for not wearing a mask even though I don’t have to wear a mask while I workout. Originally I was told I just had to wear a mask to come in but I could go put it in a locker to workout. They have now made it so I have to wear a mask even in between changing machines which is stupid. What do I do with a mask in between? Put it on the floor? Contaminate it that’s a guarantee.

I stated to the GM I don’t wear a mask for health reasons and he told me I could end my membership or my other option is a face shield. Are you kidding me, a face shield? How about you close your doors if you're really concerned. Oh wait you don’t want to do that because you’d lose too much money. How about you just let me workout and not worry about what I’m doing. If I’m sick I can promise you I won’t be going to the gym. Most people are not wearing mask by the way while they workout. This is literally an example of wear a mask except when you don’t. Stupid.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

They re-opened while the COVID pandemic is on and are constrained by law on how many people they can accommodate in an indoor group class. Yet they are charging full membership fees. This has resulted in long wait lists and outdoor classes in high heat and uneven terrain. Today it is 92 F and the class is outdoors. There is no one using the indoor room (Gym2) and yet it is outdoors. No one EVER picks up the phone.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Lifetime Fitness is consistently poor at Custer service. After 10 years and spending thousands of dollars I canceled my membership. They charged me for March and the club was closed March 16 and they disputed my charge. This is insanity and poor service. Management has never fixed the water fountains for 4 years. Warm water. The nets between the courts have holes. I quit because I could no longer handle the awful service.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I went in person to cancel our family's Lifetime membership. I sat with an associate in their office to finish the process. I asked, "Do I need a receipt of confirmation?" They said, "No, you're good to go." 8 months later, I discovered that they've been continuing to charge me for the membership, the total amounting to $1600. After refuting in person at the gym, and even calling the manager at the Lifetime HQ, they all gave me the same response: "You should have looked out for a confirmation email," and "If I were you, I would have found out the next month by looking at my bank statements."

The Lifetime associates never informed me of such an email that needs to be received, and they were extremely rude. I am very disappointed and angry at the lack of respect, professionalism, and clarity Lifetime has demonstrated. $1600 is a lot of money to charge behind our backs... We will not be utilizing Lifetime's services again.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I am stunned at the 5 star reviews. This gym has children running around everywhere! The sauna, hot tubs and gym. No one does anything! Then at the machines people are texting instead of working out!! Cannot even enjoy the outdoor pools as there are children crying and running everywhere. Not the gym for single people!

Original review: April 20, 2020

Excellent facility, great trainers, modern equipment, child care for no cost!! When you check in, pleasant greeting, no pushy sales people, locker rooms clean, plenty of towels, soap, razors and lotion.

Life Time Fitness author review by Joey Thurman

Life Time Fitness, also known as the Healthy Way of Life Company, is a privately held luxury fitness chain with 122 locations in 26 states and Canada. It offers resort-like fitness amenities, including swimming pools, basketball and racquetball courts, extensive group fitness classes, child centers, spas and personal training.

• Group fitness: Life Time offers a vast array of classes for all fitness levels. These include indoor and outdoor cycling, yoga, swim, Pilates, strength training and many more.

• State-of-the-art equipment: Life Time offers a large selection of fitness equipment in several spacious rooms. Equipment includes free weights, functional training equipment, resistance equipment, weight machines, cardio equipment and more.

• Rock walls: Most Life Time locations feature rock walls with professional coaches to help make the experience safe and enjoyable. Children can also participate in rock wall climbing. Life Time offers both rock climbing classes and open climb.

• Kid’s services: In addition to childcare services, Life Time also offers programming specifically for children of various ages, including classes like karate, yoga, foreign languages and music. Life Time also holds camps during summer and other school breaks. Some locations offer birthday parties, childcare for Parents’ Night Out, sports classes and more.

• Spa services: Most Life Time locations offer spa services including hair cuts and color, massage, manicures and medical spa services. Non-members can also book services at a Life Time spa. Life Time offers pools, saunas and steam rooms for a spa-like experience.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Life Time Fitness Company Information