3.1/5 (214 ratings)

About Life Time Fitness

Life Time Fitness Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

They re-opened while the COVID pandemic is on and are constrained by law on how many people they can accommodate in an indoor group class. Yet they are charging full membership fees. This has resulted in long wait lists and outdoor classes in high heat and uneven terrain. Today it is 92 F and the class is outdoors. There is no one using the indoor room (Gym2) and yet it is outdoors. No one EVER picks up the phone.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Lifetime Fitness is consistently poor at Custer service. After 10 years and spending thousands of dollars I canceled my membership. They charged me for March and the club was closed March 16 and they disputed my charge. This is insanity and poor service. Management has never fixed the water fountains for 4 years. Warm water. The nets between the courts have holes. I quit because I could no longer handle the awful service.

Original review: July 4, 2020

I went in person to cancel our family's Lifetime membership. I sat with an associate in their office to finish the process. I asked, "Do I need a receipt of confirmation?" They said, "No, you're good to go." 8 months later, I discovered that they've been continuing to charge me for the membership, the total amounting to $1600. After refuting in person at the gym, and even calling the manager at the Lifetime HQ, they all gave me the same response: "You should have looked out for a confirmation email," and "If I were you, I would have found out the next month by looking at my bank statements."

The Lifetime associates never informed me of such an email that needs to be received, and they were extremely rude. I am very disappointed and angry at the lack of respect, professionalism, and clarity Lifetime has demonstrated. $1600 is a lot of money to charge behind our backs... We will not be utilizing Lifetime's services again.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I am stunned at the 5 star reviews. This gym has children running around everywhere! The sauna, hot tubs and gym. No one does anything! Then at the machines people are texting instead of working out!! Cannot even enjoy the outdoor pools as there are children crying and running everywhere. Not the gym for single people!

Original review: April 20, 2020

Excellent facility, great trainers, modern equipment, child care for no cost!! When you check in, pleasant greeting, no pushy sales people, locker rooms clean, plenty of towels, soap, razors and lotion.

Original review: April 14, 2020

Our family joined 14 years ago and are still active members. We are grateful for the gym. I have 3 opportunities for this franchise. Hire an RD who can meet people right where they are and give them the tools for evident change. This is what a skilled RD can do. Pay him/her accordingly. Lower the membership dues. They are too high causing this club to be for those already fit- financially and physically. I don’t see people transformed longterm. Isn’t that the mission?

Original review: April 9, 2020

Very good health club. The club has everything that the person needs for a program. Kid programs and swimming pools. Child care while you work out. Clean facility all around including all the courts from basketball to racquet ball.

Original review: April 8, 2020

There is a wide range of equipment and activities available. The only thing I don't like is how some gyms only allow certain members. There is a ranking level (platinum, silver, gold) and if you aren't high enough, you can't go to that specific gym.

Original review: April 5, 2020

It’s been great since we first walked in for a tour. Can’t wait until they can reopen. The facility is spotless and the majority of the staff are excellent and go out of their way to help. It’s also terrific that they have PT and an Urgent Care clinic attached to the building.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Canceled my membership over the summer and received an offer to put my account on hold for free for six months. I thought this would be a good idea in case I changed my mind and wanted to rejoin. After accepting the offer, I received an email stating that it would actually be $10 a month to keep a hold on the account, so I responded to Tracey, the person who sent the email, and said that I just wanted to cancel as originally intended because of the fee. I got a response that said everything is "all set with the agreed arrangement."

At the beginning of the month, I noticed Life Time charged the amount of monthly dues to my account. I called, and the person at the front desk told me that they had actually been charging the $10 for the past 6 months, but I hadn't noticed because it was a small amount. They also said I would need to come in and sign another cancellation agreement. I already signed one, and Tracey responded to my email over the summer saying everything was all set. I left a voicemail for Tracey about getting a refund, sent an email, and left a voicemail for Pat, the general manager. It's been a week and I still haven't heard anything from either of them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Overnight manager Jose ** called police to remove us from the facility. It began with an emotional phone call I was having in the near empty locker room at 11:30pm. Attendant Lily overheard the entire conversation and actually saw me crying. Despite my obvious distress, after the conversation was over Lily decided to approach me just to say that there is no yelling allowed in the women's locker room. This was very insensitive and really unnecessary. The locker room is empty now. The call ended. Leave me alone.

During this time, my boyfriend was being approached by Jose in the men's locker room. Although he had no knowledge and no responsibility for what was occurring next door, Jose decided to inform him that I was yelling in the locker room and that if it continued he would kick us both out! So, upset at the way things were being handled by staff, I went to Jose to clear things up. Since staff was making such a big fuss over my tone of voice in the locker room, I wanted a physical copy of Lifetime's policy. His exact response to me was "I don't have time to print it for you." That is the most unprofessional and derogatory response I had ever received from a "manager". The conversation continued with us questioning him on why he decided to handle this minor incident in this way. He stood with his hands in his pockets and looking at his phone from time to time. He never apologized for the misunderstanding.

The conversation was not going anywhere and no care or concern was being shown. No solution was being brought up, and Jose made no effort at all to diffuse the situation to ensure I left on a positive note. That is what his role as a manager is to do! As I became increasingly frustrated and upset with his demeanor I asked him how he was planning to service us as members and conclude this incident. He gave me a dumbfounded look, shrugged and said that he would do nothing. I promise you I am not making this up at all. We were both completely floored that we were actually speaking to a manager at Lifetime.

Finally, with plans to reach out to higher management, I asked for his first and last name in which he told us he did not have to and would not provide us (although managers last names are made readily available to members). At this point my boyfriend and I knew he was purposely escalating the situation. Any reasonable person would become angry with how they are being treated and spoken to in the lobby of a facility in which they are members who pay $280 a month. When Jose began to notice how angry I was getting, rather than work harder to come to a resolution he called police to have us forcibly removed from the club!

We were treated like trespassers and criminals and forced to leave in a hurry. It never, ever, should have amounted to that and if they didn't have someone as disgusting, despicable, incompetent and arrogant as Jose ** it never would have. The way the situation was handled from start to finish was completely unacceptable and completely unforgivable.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Please read every word you sign BEFORE you sign anything from these ripoff con artists! And for goodness sake pay close attention to their overpriced food and beverages that are absolutely ludicrous. Very little nutrition at huge costs! They will never stop billing your credit card. It is a nightmare to get them to stop taking any amount they can get at anytime of the month possible. Please read everything online before you sign up for the "free" trial that will cost you a fortune.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

30 Day Scam. My husband found out we were relocating in less than 2 weeks and unfortunately there is no Lifetime in the area. After explaining our situation to the Guest Relations team at Romeoville IL location and both CiCi & Amy at the Corporate office all that was said is, "sorry but there's nothing we can do." After 10+ years of business from my family you'd think they'd consider waving the $66 cancellation fee. My husband and I are disgusted with the way this company handled our situation and will be making it known to all family members and communities as we continue to travel with his job. Needless to say we will never be lifetime members again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Thank you once again for the generous opportunity to experience the Ajax Lifetime Facility from Nov.28-29th, 2019. I took full advantage of your facility. Over the course of three days, I used your pool twice for my laps and was impressed by the swim staff. The complimentary pilates session with Cristian was a delight having stretched fascial muscles that I didn’t know existed. Kelley’s Surrender meditative yin-yoga with extended poses strengthened and stretched my muscles. Her calm voice made the hour seem like minutes. Andrea’s barbell strength class worked every muscle as she reinforced and motived me to go further. Ana’s tabata’s class of high intensity had high expectations for every muscle group and I rose to meet them, thanks to her encouragement and modifications.

Finally, Kimmel’s SOL yoga class was the icing on the cake of power yoga woven with ashtanga vinyasa. Her mesmerizing voice pushed my body to the max. Kimmel exudes an energy that few instructors display. Almost like a Sei He Ki feeling where mental/emotional/physical energy flows from the practice. I did try a couple of the weight machines, but was concerned my form wasn’t accurate and did not know what the electronic indicators meant. However, if I had asked a staff member I’m sure I would have been given direction.

Overall, I was truly impressed with my three days. The only disadvantage to the the entire experience was my commute to the club, taking me 90 minutes round trip from home to club and back with clear roads and good weather. I will be joining Ajax Lifetime, once my existing membership with another fitness facility expires, when I’m back in the country and when weather conditions improve to ensure a safe commute. I will eventually be there sweating, with the rest of your members.

Finally, thank you Dillon (Account Manager) for your kindness. As mentioned in our initial on boarding tour, I was impressed with your knowledge, your passions for my well being, your energy and your time. Never did I feel you were selling a “facility product”, but rather a “wellness solution”. All the best as you continue to making a difference in people’s lives.

Sincerely

Brian

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I would give 0 stars if I could. Very disappointed with this gym. I switched to this gym because it was closer to my home and "provided" activities for children. What a joke that was. The ballet for my daughter was an overfilled room with kids holding onto a table because there was no ballet bar to use. In order to drop off my daughter who is a member, my wife had to join and pay 105.00 to bring her to class for 45 mins. My wife just had a baby so she's unable to workout and they asked for a doctor's note. Seriously? I normally drive my daughter and I'm a member and I have 2 guest passes per month but they still said she had to join.

If we had known that we would've skipped the class the week I was traveling. Knowing all that they still said we can't do anything and the account will be charged the 105.00 for 45 mins. I ended up canceling our entire family membership and they were fine with that. From a CEO of a company this is entirely the wrong attitude when it comes to customer service. Stay as far away from this place as possible.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I tried canceling my service with them. 2 months later still has not been canceled. I keep getting emails upon emails about my delinquent account. I keep telling them I have canceled my services. I never realized you need to give them a 30 day notice. I guess technically it's been 72 days, yet they keep charging me and unwilling to fix the problem. Also they added on a magazine charge which I was unaware of. They also started to raise the price on me. Never notified me or explained why. The cost increase by 11 dollars which is not that much, but it is the principal of the thing. Think twice before getting a membership at Life Time Fitness!!

Original review: July 12, 2019

Today I visited Spa in Lifetime Vernon Hills. Had chipless manicure. Honestly, it was the worst service I had ever had. Unprofessional. The nail technician had many years experience by her words but not in this service. I was very disappointed. And was charged 59$!!! For what??? I will attach the pics. Manager should be more patient to choose the right staff.

Original review: June 27, 2019

You shouldn't have a problem cancelling with these guys if you're local and changing gyms, but if you have an life event and move away, sell your home, have an injury, you may be on a hook for a few extra months because simply calling or emailing, letting them know that you won't be needing a membership isn't enough. After being derailed by life occurrences recently, I attempted to cancel my membership by phone, to no avail. They urged that I come in, which was impossible at the time. Further, after a series of emails, sending sign statements, none of it was good enough. Ultimately I had to send certified mail. However, since we were in the first couple of days in the new month, I was on the hook for paying an additional $300. You'd think paying about 4k a year for a gym membership, they'd eventually want you back...

Original review: June 13, 2019

Total negative attitude comes from the 20-somethings that run this business. Pathetic excuses for cancelling membership (write and MAIL letter..), to the usual clubs under constant construction and closed amenities without any regard to credit to members. Don't waste your money here - use a local, smaller gym that cares about its customers.

Original review: June 5, 2019

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! BEWARE!!! This organization is like a cult! "Come join us!" It's all happiness and smiles.... Until you try to leave.... They'll stalk you like the hounds of hell! I cancelled my membership. I was moving out of the area and there was no LT where I was moving to. This was unacceptable to them. I had to COME IN and sign their form. No they couldn't attach it to an email. Or, I could send a certified letter. Really, certified snail mail?!? Now they are going to pursue me for collection of money they aren't entitled to.. BUYER BEWARE!!! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Lifetime Fitness (Athletic) is an absolutely terrible club to join from the following aspect. It is the only major fitness club that bans members or guests from exercising / working out with family members or friends and giving any tips, demonstration, discussion or advice on exercising, stretching, wellness or nutrition. This means if you want to show your kid, family member, friend, etc. a more efficient swim stroke, stretching exercise or basketball move, you are taking a huge risk. Your membership can be cancelled at any time at the sole discretion of a Lifetime employee or camera that might be watching you. That’s right! Volunteering your time (no compensation) or skill to help loved ones or friends can deep-six your Lifetime membership in a hurry.

You see, their personal trainers make up to $100/hour to train members. Ouch! Can we all say cha- ching? And as a privately held company, with nobody to govern or oversee their 20 plus pages of extremely strict club rules, Lifetime wields the ultimate authority to keep their members in line. So, if you like to work out with family or your buds and share thoughts, tips or advice about anything fitness, wellness or nutrition related, think twice about joining Lifetime Fitness (Athletic). And if you don’t want Big Brother watching you at all times with their multitude of cameras and staff, this is another reason to think twice about joining Lifetime.

I have included Lifetime’s rules below regarding no personal advice or demonstration by members or guests at any time. It’s pretty brutal. No other fitness club has rules anywhere close to this strict. Definitely not what Lifetime should be proud of. And, definitely a rule that should be amended to not punish members or guests for helping someone in need of complimentary advice or a tip. Come on Lifetime… you can do much better.

• Training Services. Our personal training services include instruction, coaching, advice, lessons or demonstration concerning physical exercise, physical fitness, exercise strategies, nutrition, wellness, fitness products, fitness equipment and other fitness-related activities by personal trainers, nutrition coaches, teaching pros or other instructors ("personal training"). Personal training services are available to members, typically for a fee per session, upon completion of a Fitness Program Agreement.

• No Personal Training by Members or Guests. You may not solicit or conduct on the premises any personal training as defined above, with or without compensation. Life Time retains sole discretion to determine whether a member or guest is engaged in personal training.

Original review: April 22, 2019

If you're looking for a new health club, I would definitely recommend staying away from LifeTime Fitness. Not a clean facility. Wait times to use most of the equipment. They also closed without any notice on several days which ended up canceling my workout for the day. The process to end your membership is as complicated and time consuming as possible in hopes that you won't do it and continue letting them bill you. The unforgivable thing though: they are holding my credit card hostage and charging me for an extra month of membership just to get a few extra bucks out of me.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I was a member here since 2009. The membership department in Westminster Colorado advised me to write a letter in January 2019 to cancel my membership, WHICH I DID. They continued to bill me for 2 months after the cancellation and 2 months after I called them to ask why they were trying to charge my credit card again they claimed that they never got the letter. Found out from one of their ex-employees that this is a common practice. I have paid over $3,000.00 in unused membership months, and apparently now they are broke so they keep calling my home phone (my renters advised me). Anyone interested in filing a Class Action Lawsuit against them for unethical consumer practices, please message me. They have been getting away with this for years. Can't wait to see them in court with a lineup of their former employees exposing these tactics.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Each time we show up to find pool closed, we ask why, and we’re told different answers about the hours of pool operation and kids’ pool / outdoor pool / outdoor slides hours. After being misinformed so many times, we were told the front desk now has a copy of pool hours and would give correct advice each time. So what happened today? Once again they said outdoor pool and slides open until 6 pm. We tried to go at 5 and were told “oh, no. Slides close at 5”. “And, outdoor pool is closed now.” “Why?” “Because of weather.” There is no rain. No lightning. No thunder. We asked why was this not “weather permitting??” “It’s too cold.” “It’s 74 degrees right now, and the pool is heated to 84. That’s not too cold.”

We asked a manager, who tried to reach the pool manager, but he had already gone home. She reached a lifeguard who said “well, there was wind.” Really? There’s wind here all the time. I asked if they could open it back up since it was not yet 6 (or bad weather) and was told no - only the manager who had already gone home can do that. Plus, the outdoor lifeguards all went home early today when they decided to close it early.

This might not be so bad if it was the first time this happened. But it’s not. So far, we joined about 2 and a half weeks ago and my son has never been able to use the slide because the gym keeps giving misinformation about whether or when it will be open, and then when we come during what should be open hours for the outdoor pool and slide, we’re greeted with misinformation that prevents him from using it. (Including just a few days ago when told he had to pass a 25 meter swim test but they didn’t think he could so they wouldn’t let him slide.)

Well, tonight, on our way to the outdoor pool, we had an indoor instructor test him and he passed just fine. She told us “but you don’t need this to use the slide. The swim test is to get a yellow band to use the pool unsupervised. He could have used the slide the other day. We know, there are lifeguards that give out the wrong information.” ??? Why? How hard is it to publish the pool and slide hours and rules and then stick with them and train staff on what they are so they can properly advise members???

Original review: March 12, 2019

This company is as crooked as they come. I had a membership with them through my former employer, but once I changed jobs I stopped going there. Obviously, I assumed my former employer would stop paying the monthly membership and they would close out the account. This is always how it has worked for me in the past with other gyms, and I’ve never had a problem. Now nine months later, Life Time Fitness is coming after me for a past due balance. It turns out my former employer just last month stopped paying for my membership, but Life Time would not let them close my account.

They would not let me cancel my membership over the phone either, so I came into their Carrollton location a few hours after receiving their email to officially close my account and clear up the confusion about the balance. Not only could they not have cared less about the mix up, but they told me I had to give a 30 day notice for my membership cancellation, which means I will also be responsible for April’s payment as well! Even though they just got 9 months of membership dues from my old employer for free, they now want to charge me for another 2 months!! So now, I can pay them close to $200 or, they will sell my account to a collections company which will damage my credit. How is this not extortion?? Life Time doesn’t care who they hurt, if they can get a couple extra $$ in return.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I tried to cancel my membership with Life Time after I had injured my foot. I was not able to run and I was in extreme pain under doctor's care. I wanted to cancel over phone, via mail, email or fax. I was told from 3 different facilities in Chicago area I needed to physically come into one location to cancel. I told them I was incapable due to injury. They all told me it didn’t matter. I had to pay an additional 5 months as my foot healed. Finally went in to cancel on Feb 2, 2019. They charged me for February and March. I would never recommend them to anyone. I was also a member there for over 15 years.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Have been members for 7 & 9 years, today we quit! Their reservation system for yoga rules change all the time by teacher. Corporate state you lose spot if not there 15 min. prior! We followed rules, waited until 10 min before start, took empty spots only to be kicked out, many with reservations showed up 2 min before class.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Prejudice Very much so! I signed up with Joe and I told him the situation on how I am leaving for Nevada March 4th. I know there is only one in Summerlin and I have no car and am nowhere near it so therefore I want to only signed up for the month! Everyone was so nice to me in the beginning and now that I want to cancel I am being treated like trash! This facility. Is money hungry I was clearly TOLD CANCEL BEFORE THE NEXT BILLING CYCLE SO YOU ARENT CHARGED. Idc what was in the contract because Joe read me the contract. He said I didn’t have to read it! I basically told him I need to cancel so I won’t be charged after March 4.

Apparently you have to cancel 30 days prior and I was never told that!!! And all the workers and corporate are telling me I am wrong and I heard wrong and they are blaming me and not themselves! Dana is a very rude stuck up women who wouldn’t even look at me when I was speaking. I even explained to her Joe never told me 30 days. He said next billing cycle and she said “he isn’t wrong. He technically could cancel anytime but be charged for the remainder.” But I’m like, "No. I clearly told him I don’t wanna be charged after March 4!" So therefore They used and scammed me because I am young and dumb! They used this as an advantage to take advantage of me this my first time signing up for a gym alone! Joe told me don’t worry you don’t need to read it I will and I asked him many times on when I have to cancel I was told by March 1 or 4th whatever the next billing statement is.

The gym was pretty and clean and I was reconsidering on coming back and signing up in the summer but after this no way! They are such a money hungry company they don’t care about their customers they just want their money because if it was anywhere else they would solve the issue speak with the worker and the client and they couldn’t care less as if they do this on a daily basis. And Dana is so rude. I’m sorry you lost 60 dollars so condescending and fake like I’m poor!

No it’s not the money it’s the fact I was scammed and I don’t care about the contract! Because I trusted someone else’s word more than a written contract I asked him multiple times if I’m good and he said yes if it was elsewhere they would have compensated someone or at least took their word. Not to mention I purchased a few boxing packages and a massage and got food here. We are giving you business. The customer is always wrong here. I do not care about the contract due to the fact Joe said, "No need I’ll read it for you." So I consider me a young adult who is naive I listened.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am a member of this ridiculous place. Back in December 2018, I called them and asked to put my account on hold as I was facing financial difficulties and that I lost my copy of the agreement, they said ok. Few days later they called to pay them, I repeated my request to put my account on hold, they said ok! Then I received calls and emails to pay, then called and they said ok!!! When I escalated the matter the manager said I was suppose to go and sign. I said no one told me so from the people I spoke to. They sent me threatening emails and calls and they offered I pay 50% of Dec and Jan. I said I can do it in Feb. I discovered they charged 100% and I said no problem. I asked to use my membership. They said I will be charged $110. I asked to cancel my membership and they said they will charge for March as the cancellation takes 30 days... What the hell???

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

One would think that for over $100 per monthly, problems would be minimized for you. Sadly, you would be mistaken. Here are problems I observed during weekdays, from 10:00 to noon. I don't know what happens at other times. My free training hour from joining was horrible... I would have paid more not to have it. Preschool kids are all over and often unsupervised, running and screaming while their mothers use cell phones. Members often leave soiled towels all over the locker room and trash in lockers. There is continual, extremely loud music on the workout floor, worsened by trainers using portable sound systems.

Member complaints? Management responds in writing, but does nothing about problems. Members "own" multiple machines with towels that others want to use. Management does nothing about it. Children defecate in the pool... and there's frequent PH testing, so there may be plenty of urine too. Employee turnover is ridiculous. Most workers don't last one year due to poor pay and hostile management. There are occasional locker room thefts. It's unwise to leave wallets and cell phones in lockers. Cars are occasionally burglarized in the parking lot. Most members don't wipe down equipment after use. There was a serious fire on the roof in 2018... multiple areas were shut down. The products displayed and sold are greatly overpriced. "Life Time Bucks" are a joke that expire and can't be earned again.

Life Time Fitness Company Information