Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.23/5

75 Life Time Fitness Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2019

I tried to cancel my membership with Life Time after I had injured my foot. I was not able to run and I was in extreme pain under doctor's care. I wanted to cancel over phone, via mail, email or fax. I was told from 3 different facilities in Chicago area I needed to physically come into one location to cancel. I told them I was incapable due to injury. They all told me it didn’t matter. I had to pay an additional 5 months as my foot healed. Finally went in to cancel on Feb 2, 2019. They charged me for February and March. I would never recommend them to anyone. I was also a member there for over 15 years.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Have been members for 7 & 9 years, today we quit! Their reservation system for yoga rules change all the time by teacher. Corporate state you lose spot if not there 15 min. prior! We followed rules, waited until 10 min before start, took empty spots only to be kicked out, many with reservations showed up 2 min before class.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Prejudice Very much so! I signed up with Joe and I told him the situation on how I am leaving for Nevada March 4th. I know there is only one in Summerlin and I have no car and am nowhere near it so therefore I want to only signed up for the month! Everyone was so nice to me in the beginning and now that I want to cancel I am being treated like trash! This facility. Is money hungry I was clearly TOLD CANCEL BEFORE THE NEXT BILLING CYCLE SO YOU ARENT CHARGED. Idc what was in the contract because Joe read me the contract. He said I didn’t have to read it! I basically told him I need to cancel so I won’t be charged after March 4.

Apparently you have to cancel 30 days prior and I was never told that!!! And all the workers and corporate are telling me I am wrong and I heard wrong and they are blaming me and not themselves! Dana is a very rude stuck up women who wouldn’t even look at me when I was speaking. I even explained to her Joe never told me 30 days. He said next billing cycle and she said “he isn’t wrong. He technically could cancel anytime but be charged for the remainder.” But I’m like, "No. I clearly told him I don’t wanna be charged after March 4!" So therefore They used and scammed me because I am young and dumb! They used this as an advantage to take advantage of me this my first time signing up for a gym alone! Joe told me don’t worry you don’t need to read it I will and I asked him many times on when I have to cancel I was told by March 1 or 4th whatever the next billing statement is.

The gym was pretty and clean and I was reconsidering on coming back and signing up in the summer but after this no way! They are such a money hungry company they don’t care about their customers they just want their money because if it was anywhere else they would solve the issue speak with the worker and the client and they couldn’t care less as if they do this on a daily basis. And Dana is so rude. I’m sorry you lost 60 dollars so condescending and fake like I’m poor!

No it’s not the money it’s the fact I was scammed and I don’t care about the contract! Because I trusted someone else’s word more than a written contract I asked him multiple times if I’m good and he said yes if it was elsewhere they would have compensated someone or at least took their word. Not to mention I purchased a few boxing packages and a massage and got food here. We are giving you business. The customer is always wrong here. I do not care about the contract due to the fact Joe said, "No need I’ll read it for you." So I consider me a young adult who is naive I listened.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am a member of this ridiculous place. Back in December 2018, I called them and asked to put my account on hold as I was facing financial difficulties and that I lost my copy of the agreement, they said ok. Few days later they called to pay them, I repeated my request to put my account on hold, they said ok! Then I received calls and emails to pay, then called and they said ok!!! When I escalated the matter the manager said I was suppose to go and sign. I said no one told me so from the people I spoke to. They sent me threatening emails and calls and they offered I pay 50% of Dec and Jan. I said I can do it in Feb. I discovered they charged 100% and I said no problem. I asked to use my membership. They said I will be charged $110. I asked to cancel my membership and they said they will charge for March as the cancellation takes 30 days... What the hell???

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

One would think that for over $100 per monthly, problems would be minimized for you. Sadly, you would be mistaken. Here are problems I observed during weekdays, from 10:00 to noon. I don't know what happens at other times. My free training hour from joining was horrible... I would have paid more not to have it. Preschool kids are all over and often unsupervised, running and screaming while their mothers use cell phones. Members often leave soiled towels all over the locker room and trash in lockers. There is continual, extremely loud music on the workout floor, worsened by trainers using portable sound systems.

Member complaints? Management responds in writing, but does nothing about problems. Members "own" multiple machines with towels that others want to use. Management does nothing about it. Children defecate in the pool... and there's frequent PH testing, so there may be plenty of urine too. Employee turnover is ridiculous. Most workers don't last one year due to poor pay and hostile management. There are occasional locker room thefts. It's unwise to leave wallets and cell phones in lockers. Cars are occasionally burglarized in the parking lot. Most members don't wipe down equipment after use. There was a serious fire on the roof in 2018... multiple areas were shut down. The products displayed and sold are greatly overpriced. "Life Time Bucks" are a joke that expire and can't be earned again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Life Time Fitness?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I blame myself for not reading the reviews rather than the star rating. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM. All reviews are dead on!! The fees you save to join at $179 a month are only recouped when you have no choice but give a 30 day notice and forced to pay one more month. Once you enter the facility of smiling polite, nice personnel be forewarned that is as far as the professionalism goes. Incompetence, distant and the caring stops at the face smile of all who work here not to mention the inexperience for the money you pay. I have been members of the best gyms so I compare and was very disappointed the entire first two weeks.

When I complained all verbal promises were not documented and forgotten. However, I document with emails and they confirmed that the promise of free month was all in my mind. The survey send to ask why I left seemed to be a slight keepsake of previous interest at building a better business that does not exist with these new or old owners. Management has no business experience only customer service with a smile that stops there. DO NOT BE A FOOL LIKE ME AND BELIEVE THAT HONEST FACE AND SMILE not to mention who wrote that rating...from the past?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Updated on 01/24/2019: This is a continuation of yesterday (1/23/2019)'s review for Life Time Fitness in Berkeley Heights, NJ. I called customer service to request waiving the charge of next Month per 30 day notification policy. The woman did ask what is my bad experience but obviously she doesn't care at all. Her tone is cold and arrogant. The only thing she said is she can't do it and it is up to the local office. She would ask local office to call me but she never asked my name/membership ID. Yesterday the woman in local office said I had to call the corporate since it is corporate policy.

Original Review: The staff there are terrible. A bunch of trainers/agents standing there doing nothing and wouldn't help to hang up a punch bag for me (the punch bag usually hang up but sometimes it was down). And they gave all kinds of ridiculous excuses. I talked to the manager twice and the staff all said yes to his face then did opposite behind his back. I cancelled my membership immediately. But they will charge to Feb. 22 due to one month notification policy, refused to waive it even though I cancelled because of bad service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been a member for 12 months with my wife and 2-year-old son. I came in to cancel my wife's account in October. I was told that it would be removed and prorated for November. Ok fine. Well December comes and I'm still being charged the same rate. I called to ask why my December is still being charged the same amount. Life Time says they have no record of me canceling. So basically I had to pay again the full amount for December and pro-rated charge for January. You would think you pay this much a gym that the customer service would be better and the people working there know how to do their job.

The funny thing is when I signed up initially I had a referral and had to call and email for 2 weeks for my referral to get her Life Time points. They love to bill the hell out of you and offer you zero customer service. Make sure you get everything in writing and follow up. Terrible customer service. The worst part is reading other Yelp reviews. The same thing has happened to so many other customers trying to cancel their membership. Lifetime just keeps charging and has no record of them canceling. You pay $150 a month and the customer service is absolutely horrible. Don't believe me. Read the other reviews. The worst part is about reading other reviews online about life time and the same stuff has happened to many other who tried to cancel. Each time paperwork is lost or it was never “canceled “ shady business practices.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was a Charter member at the Houston Willowbrook location for the first 6 years. I cancelled my membership because the entire management and staff turned over, and the facilities and offerings started to decline. About 2 years later I got married and signed up again. The facilities continued to get worse, and parts of the gym were always under lengthy repair, and not available.

I went rock climb on Halloween, and they had the wall closed, but never posted it. I had a buddy that drove several hours to climb with me for the first time, and we couldn't climb. We were walking out when someone came running up to me yelling that we couldn't use the wall. I told him it was obvious because they had closed the wall, but never posted it. He continued to bow up to me and threaten me and said there were signs everywhere, which was not true. I called corporate and filed a complaint against him, and it turns out he was the manager, and they banned me for life.

About 1.5 years later they called me and asked me to come back, because the manager was gone. They had promoted him to district manager. At least he wasn't there so I continues to use the facilities. It has never been the same and I really don't like going any more. I moved about 75 miles away, and tried to cancel my membership over the phone, but they won't let you. You have to show up in person.

I drove the 150-mile round trip to the gym to cancel my membership on Halloween. They told me it would be another 30 days before it cancelled and I signed a document. I was billed again in December, and drove down again to get a refund. They told me that I never signed anything. They had record of me coming in to cancel, but they didn't cancel my membership. No one was available to talk with me because they were all in a "meeting." I asked the girl at the front desk for the Corporate Office Customer Relations. I told them what happened and they told me that I never signed their document. I asked them how much sense it made for me to drive 3 hours to cancel my membership, and then not cancel it. I got transferred and hung up on 6X by Corporate "customer relations" and they told me they would not refund my $80 membership fee that had just been withdrawn.

Life Time Fitness is the absolute worst when it comes to taking care of their members, and listening to their concerns. I made friends with a lot of the original employees and they all had quit because of how corporate became, and how there was no longer any real customer relations. I will NEVER step foot in another Life Time facility, and will NEVER, EVER recommend that anyone signs up. Good luck to any of you who try to cancel your memberships.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been with this club for 8 years, and the first 5 years or so were fantastic, but after that I have seen a steady rapid decline in cleanliness, customer service, quality of instructors, quality of equipment, as well as huge increase in monthly rates and crowds. Rates increased more than 20% this year compared to last year. Company and staff does not care about the user experience or quality of the club; they only want your money. Corporate only cares about their top and bottom line. Avoid. There are plenty of other gyms that are much less expensive and offer a much better facility and overall experience.

Life Time Fitness Company Information