Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Widex Hearing Aids

Great to hear you are enjoying your new hearing aids, thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 1, 2017

What a powerful change, putting my new Widex hearing aids in! After they were properly programmed, it was amazing to hear what I've been missing for years! For example, the sound of water running in the sink has such a clarity to it, I almost felt like it was too loud!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The hearing specialist I went to recommended Widex and I chose the Behind-the-Ear model because it was small and discreet. It is a good product. The sound is crystal clear and I'm able to pick up on the low frequencies that I wouldn’t normally hear at the time. I didn't know I had an issue with low frequencies until I took a hearing test. All in all, my experience has been great and I would recommend Widex.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Bernard, we are delighted to learn that your hearing aids are helping you gain better hearing in your life. Thank you, Todd

Original review: April 6, 2017

When I was in college over 50 years ago, a doctor told me I had lost some of my high frequency hearing. Several years ago, a friend who is also an audiologist suggested I get my hearing tested. She also fitted me with the Widex hearing aids I currently use. The amplitude difference is noticeable especially when I'm listening to television without the aids and I do not have problems asking to have people repeat what they said. Perhaps my hearing problem is genetic since I have several cousins with hearing problems. What I like about the hearing aids is that they can be adjusted if ever I need additional volume.

I got my first hearing aids of this brand a few years back. I'm now in the market to buy again but I'm disappointed Widex has removed M-DEX. I work in an office where cellphones are banned so I'm very disappointment Widex depends on cellphones now for clients to adjust sounds and services.

Deeply appreciate how robust aids are, i.e. wires attaching and hearing compartment itself endure all handling. Once I became comfortable w/ insertion and removal both became second nature. Like ease of handling and changing batteries also. Like ease of altering acuity during my daily activities. Challenging though is learning 'necklace' utilization.

Overall I am satisfied with the product. I especially appreciate the remote control which allows me to shut them off when driving alone. Without the remote I probably would not have kept them. I have high-pitch hearing loss so I am somewhat disappointed that the hearing aides do not clarify the words that I misunderstood without them because I don't hear the consonants. I would think that with today's technology you would have been able to pull in the range of sound I cannot normally hear and almost completely eliminate my problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Widex USA Hearing Technology?

Resolution In Progress

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Dennis, we are sorry to hear about repair issue and we are glad to extend a courtesy repair or replacement of that hearing aid. Please contact us at correspondence@widexusa.com for more details so we can initiate that process.

Todd

Original review: April 3, 2017

Purchased hearing aids in 12/13 from Atlantic Audiology. They worked for about one year. The right one failed. Atlantic fixed it once. It worked for two weeks. When you pay $4000 you think they would last. Stopped wearing them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My Widex hearing aids is the Behind-The-Ear style and because my hearing wasn't so severe, I have a piece that gets fitted in the ear. The audiologist asked for something specific and Widex made me this big huge thing that covers the whole inside of my ear which I would never wear. The piece that I got from them just wouldn't stay in and it never seemed to work right. I kept getting too much feedback with it and it got to a point where I couldn't hear anything. The only other option was to have Starkey make the insert for the ear. They made a small one that went in the canal and so far, it seems to be working. I've had Starkey hearing aid for years and this is my first pair of Widex. The fitting of the ear thing itself and the piece that goes around the back was a lot better in Starkey. But as far as the clarity goes, Widex is better for me. I would recommend them.

I have worn Widex Hearing Aids for maybe twelve years now. I loved my previous two sets. However, this set has not been as good. Not sure why. We have returned them several times for adjustments, replacement, and whatever else. At times I feel like these hearing aids are awesome (I had them on the music setting when I was at Fenway Park watching James Taylor in concert - TREMENDOUS!!!). But other times - like when I am in my classroom, or in the kitchen, I have a hard time hearing the person speaking with me. There may be background noise, there may not be.

The telephone program is also fickle. Sometimes I have no issues, other times I can't understand the person at the other end of the phone. All in all, I am not too excited about these hearing aids. I have gone back to my audiologist several times. Since the new audiologist arrived and the person I was working with for the last 15-20 years retired, it hasn't been the same. I hope this helps.

Widex Hearing Aids

Thank you for your feedback Elsie! We're glad to learn you are enjoying your hearing aid experience.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have been a satisfied wearer of Widex hearing aids for several years. (Model D2FSWS). I have recommended them to several friends. I purchased them from A-1 Hearing in San Diego, CA (La Jolla office).

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Marybeth, thank you for sharing your connectivity issue and we're sorry to hear of the inconvenience. Oftentimes this is an easy fix to adjust pairing settings so we would love to help in troubleshooting that problem. We it be OK for us to reach out to you on Monday (tomorrow) to get more information and, if so, would you prefer to be contacted by email or phone call? Thank you, Todd

Original review: March 29, 2017

The left hearing aid doesn't seem to stay connected and the battery life is very low. My audiologist sent one pair back and received another, but same issue. Seemed to work for only a week and then loses connectivity. Any help appreciated. I love them otherwise.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend gave me her Widex hearing aids as a gift. She no longer used them and her hearing had gotten worse so she had to go to another level. Then I went to a hearing professional and she explained everything to me. She was very professional in showing me how to use them, what I needed and gave me a printout of everything. I got the one that's placed behind the ear and the other part goes inside. I'm still getting used to them and I don't keep them in all the time. But when I use them when I go out, it helps quite a bit. I'm not saying, "huh" or "I beg your pardon" as much. I would recommend them to anyone that needs hearing aids.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience as of late. We aim to provide timely support for our partnering hearing practices and their patients. We would be happy to help try to remedy your problem and/ or coordinate with your preferred Audiologist to facilitate that process. Could you please email us at correspondence@widexusa.com with your preferred contact information as to begin? Thank you, Todd

Original review: March 20, 2017

As a hearing aid wearer for nearly 48 years I am experienced with them. Whereas Widex has some strong, powerful hearing aids they tend to breakdown more frequently. Which leads to the second largest issue I have with them - their customer service is less than desirable. Widex is not timely in responses nor are they flexible in working with audiologist or patients. My audiologist in California struggled to work with Widex to help customize my earmolds. Widex only offered (at the time) very hard plastic earmolds which caused me ear aches. When approached to make flexible softer molds, Widex refused. This refusal then made my $15,000 pair of aids non-usable.

After months of back and forth Widex finally made the earmolds. Now the receiver inside the earmold is broken and they are charging me $250 in repairs per earmold to replace the receiver. I replaced one in October 2016 and it broke again by March 2017. Then the other ear's receiver broke and it also needed to be replaced - costing another $250. When I work Oticon aids I rarely had issues with them in the 25 plus years that I wore the brand. My audiologist in California severed her relationship with Widex due to poor customer service and now that I have moved to Oregon I could only find ONE person willing to work with Widex due to a poor customer service reputation. Widex appears not to really care about its consumers and their individualized needs.

I am the American Tinnitus Association Group Leader and conduct support group classes in both Tampa, now in the Villages, FL. I have severe tinnitus and hearing loss for almost 6 years. I have been wearing Widex aids most of those years because the technology only gets better helping me to habituate from tinnitus and live a quality life. I had the pleasure of having both Amber **, Regional Sales Manager at Widex and Tiffany Brown, V.P. at Widex attend one of my meetings. I will always promote Widex and support these hardworking employees because of their committed for the cause of helping people who suffer invisibly. The sound on my aids has retrained my brain to disconnect from the horrible 24by7 noises and the amplification helps me hear again and enhances the quality of my life.

Widex is and always will be my recommended and go to manufacturer. Their technology continues to make them the best manufacturer in the market. I will continue to promote Widex in all of my support group classes and volunteer work with the American Tinnitus Association. I have also been interviewed on ABC news, newspapers, hearing journals, and talk radio shows promoting for The American Tinnitus Association, and have raised over $20,000.00 for cures. Thank you for what you do.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Tiki, we apologize for you poor experience and inconvenience. We always aim to ensure each user of our hearing aid technology has an optimal hearing experience and definitely want to help resolve any fit or performance issues if possible. Please contact us at correspondence@widexusa.com so when can provide any additional support for your devices.

Todd H.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

My Widex right hearing aid has broken down twice in less than a year. The left one only once. They are of poor quality and not recommended. I used to have Phonak and they never broke down in the 3 years I owned them. This is just a warning to anyone who has decided to go with a Widex: you will regret it!

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Ram, very sorry to hear about your device compatibility and quality issues. We believe we can help provide the optimal hearing experience that you desire with your current devices. To start that process, please contact us at correspondence@widexusa.com with your product make and model information and zip code.

Todd H.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

For over 8 years I had used a Starkey Hearing aid in my Right ear and managed my life comfortably despite the fact I have Tinnitus in my Right ear. Recent review by audiologist suggested that my right ear was pretty bad and the left was also not as good and was fitted with a pair of Widex Hearing aids. I was all excited about being able to hear a lot better.

The hearing aids were fitted in Dec 2015 and sounded great in the Clinic. Walked out of the Clinic and by the time I got to the road crossing at traffic lights my head was spinning and I was losing balance. I suspected it might be the new hearing aids and turned them off and felt better. Walked to my parked car and turned the hearing aids on and could not bear the noise of just the air conditioning in the car. The last eight months have been a nightmare. I have to turn off the hearing aid to be able to listen to the person next to me in a restaurant. I just have the master and comfort settings and have to remove the hearing aids at the movies, at weddings and funerals to hear speeches, and even to watch TVs. The minute I step outdoors the Sooshing air noise is so high that I cannot even hear cars leave alone speech.

The Only time the hearing aid seems to work is when I am at home and having one on one conversations with my wife. But then I could do that even without hearing aids. I loved listening to music using my Sennheiser Wireless head phones and now that also does not work as it is not HDMI compatible with my TV and Onkyo Amplifier. I have virtually stopped talking on the Phone as it is extremely noisy. At movies I have to switch my hearing aid off. Not happy with a pair of hearing aids that cost me a Packet. Wish some one will tell me what is wrong and how to solve my problem?

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Jerry, thank you very much for the feedback as we are always working to improve the user experience with our app. The good news is this problem has already been remedied! Not too long ago we issued a simple, no cost firmware update for the Com-Dex device to allow for pairing with multiple devices. If you can email us your provider's information at correspondence@widexusa.com, we will reach out to them to ensure they are ready to provide that update for you very soon.

Original review: July 19, 2016

While the Widex hearing aids work very well, the Bluetooth interface is far less useful. It seems the unit can only pair with one device at a time, so you must re-pair it every time you move between phone and tablet. The application often will not recognize the unit and gives no options, just a blank unresponsive screen. Turning off the tablet or phone and disconnecting the Bluetooth unit will SOMETIMES remedy the situation, but you must plug the unit into the charger to reboot it, so you must carry the charger plug with you. It is quite frustrating. Seems the designer does not use the product. Very expensive and takes weeks of waiting to get any repairs or replacements.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi D, we are sorry to hear of your frustrations and hope to provide a resolution to ensure you get the optimal hearing experience from your Widex products. There has since been an update to the remote capabilities so we are happy to assist you in getting that update with your local provider. Please email us at correspondence@widexusa.com so we can get started right away on your update.

Original review: May 13, 2016

I have single-side hearing loss and have worn Phonak bi-cros aids for about 5 years. Over that time, I tried using a Blue-Tooth mic and a remote for better volume and easier program adjustments. The only way I could use a telephone was to either hold it to my 'better' ear or to put it on speaker and hold my cell phone speaker next to my ear. My newest iPhone was worthless since the sound was very muffled unless on speaker. My audiologist recommended the newest Widex bi-cros -- with a Blue-Tooth Com-Dex 'remote'. While the aids seem to have more clarity, the remote is so far mostly worthless.

I have used these new aids for only a few days so everything is new. The remote is extremely difficult (and sometimes impossible) to pair with the iPhone. 'Re-boot' and sequential turning off and re-connecting the remote and each of my aids sometimes help -- most often does not. For the couple of calls that I have been able to make with the Blue-Tooth connected (thus phone audio going directly to my hearing aid), I was able to hear much better than ever before. HOWEVER, unless the things work on first connect, they're useless. I will hang on for another visit to my audiologist in a week or two -- but there's a good chance I will be returning these -- until the Widex techs and programmers iron out the glitches. (My dad always told me not to buy the first model year of a new car; he didn't know about hearing aids but maybe that advice applies.)

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Pat, we want to do all that we can to help you get the full benefit of your investment into Widex hearing aid technology. We are sorry to hear you have had to coordinate for repairs early into your purchase, but we are happy to provide an optimal resolution to ensure you receive the best hearing possible. Please contact us at correspondence@widexusa.com so we can help you with your devices. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to do all that we can to help.

Original review: April 13, 2016

I have been wearing aids for decades and the quality of sound in Widex is excellent if you get some that work! What good is it to someone hearing impaired to have aids that quit completely every couple months, sent for repair and work for a couple days when returned? My audiologist has had wonderful patience but I'm running out of mine, programming is not the problem. They are defective (to say the least). I asked twice for replacement and they offered to exchange one free or give me a deal of $5500 for a new set, after I have paid for the ones that won't work! That's not a deal!

I took one replacement and it went in for repairs within 3 months along with the other one that worked for 2 days twice after repair and returned again. They can't fix what they sell and won't replace your "lemon" so be aware. It doesn't matter how great the sound is and I agree it is clear when programmed properly, but you may spend half your life waiting for repair, while the silent world passes you by. I'm a senior on fixed income and thousands of dollars every few years just isn't an option.

Widex Model V330 Fusion. This is my 4th set of hearing aids. Just got them 1 week ago. I get new ones every 5 years. All I've had is Widex Aids, no other brands. So I have no others to compare to. These are the best aids I've ever had. Hands Down. The technology has changed so much since my last ones.!! These intelligent aids, self adjust automatically depending on the noise level you're in. My wife tells me to turn up the volume on the TV! Just in the last week I've talked to two others that have the newer Widex aids and they had the same reaction I did.

Had evaluation by ENT and audiologist. Offered various brands and models. My Widex Unique hearing aids have changed my life. I love them. I can hear birds again. I can follow conversation in restaurants. I can enjoy TV. The automatic program works great and I am working with my audiologist to tweak a program for birding. I love my hearing aids. No complaints about these hearing aids. Love them.

These are the third pair of Widex hearing aids that I have owned over a period of 8-10 years, until now, all have been satisfactory. With this most recent pair, the provider has done the usual adjustments, set up the "programs" for several channels, etc. After 15 months, and several visits to the provider to address complaints, I have to rate these hearing aids no better than two stars.

The problem is clarity, especially when listening to TV, radio and worst of all, the telephone. Voices sound as though they are coming through a long tunnel and often sound like two or more people speaking at once. If any speaker has a foreign accent, it's pretty hopeless. My world of sound is pretty much a mess. The provider worked with me patiently for a while, was going to return them to the factory for a checkout, but then decided to make one more "re-tune"... after that, it became clear they weren't going to be able to fix the problem(s). Very disappointed with Widex and the provider.

Factual basis uncertain

I bought this through an audiologist. I have a Widex left hearing aid with the right ear transmitter to the left. The right transmitter keep making kicking sounds driving me crazy. Widex replaced it but still doing the same thing. If I turn off the right transmitter the left hearing has no problem. It is the biggest junk I ever own. I wish they can take this junk back and get a different model with hearing aid to both ears than one hearing aid and one transmitter. The transmitter interferes with some other frequencies too switching back and forth to "master". JUNK.

Factual basis uncertain

I will have to give credit where credit is due. Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat have been very patient with fitting these. However, these devices just do not do the job. Battery life is minimal and I have to have them cleaned every couple of months.

My mother in law had a pair of Widex hearing aids but never wanted to put them on because of the sound of the far away noises was loudly captured and heard instead of listening to the person opposite her. The Jurong Medical center tried to improve but caused her to adamantly refused to visit due to long waiting time and results seem to be too long (few months).

Widex brand sounds not good. It may be ill affected which I believe it is not the product, but its the program for different people for different type of hearing loss. I believe in her case, is just to reduce the background noise that I learned from her explanation. I know there are hundreds of model in the market. And I also know different people had different hearing issues. I strongly belief your company has the program to reduce the background noise. So I am appealing to you for a reprogram for her pair of Widex hearing aid so that she would use it for her own benefit. I hope to hear from you.Thanks.

No response received

My husbands old hearing aids couldn't be fixed any longer. So he was fitted with a pair of Widex. With a few visits the sound was adjusted so he can hear okay, but he had to have molds made. The other little things never fit right. So after 3 tries they made the molds. Still not right. Too much feedback. It is annoying to everyone around him, so he just doesn't wear them. We are going back for another appointment to see what can be done.

I had a previous Widex hearing aid that was a little small, but they were phasing them out. They're plastic hearing aids that crumbles into little pieces. I took it to my professional and she contacted Widex. They said they're not making that size anymore. She gets to upgrade to the newest technology and we'll have it repaired for free. I like the in-ear hearing aid model better than the behind-the-ear because if I wear glasses, the behind-the-ear does not work very well. I like the clarity and amplification of my in-ear hearing aid. But I also like the idea of being able to take it out, myself, as opposed to having to go to my doctor when the batteries go bad. But other than that, I love it. But I wish they made one with the power of the one that I have now that's larger in the ear. But if it were smaller that would be really sweet.

Widex is great and durable. But the price is high enough and it doesn't need to be any more expensive. As a matter of fact I have one and not two, and the doctor who placed it was awesome. Because I couldn't afford two at that time, she did where the one hearing aid could function like two, and it's working well, so we just work with the one. I'm happy with the product, I had a good experience, and I would recommend it.

Five years ago, I went to an audiologist who dealt mostly with Widex Hearing Aids. I then tried out and look at various models and styles, and I ended up using in the ear hearing aids because it's simple. It's just one piece rather than two and the batteries are right in the thing instead of having a separate battery that sits behind the ear. I like that it works and gives me a better hearing. Its price was also reasonable.

The only thing is there's a little plastic, which they call the extraction cord, and after three years, one of them broke off. I was always very careful with these. I didn't bend them back and forth. As far as I can tell it's made of fishing line, and it was like a 50 pound test. I was discouraged that if I had sent it back to the Widex firm they wouldn't simply replace it. They would require a full refurbishing, and the total would have come to $600. So for that, I found another firm that would replace the cord on that particular one aid for much lesser money. I really didn't understand why Widex wouldn't just do a simple repair without insisting that full refurbishing is done at the same time. I've written them a letter which was polite but it was clear so they'd know,

Widex Hearing Aids Company Profile