It's that easy Request Information
2.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1956 in Denmark, Widex has become one of the world's largest hearing aid manufacturers. Customer service and superior products are the top priorities for the company as a whole and the more than 4,000 employees worldwide.

Let Widex help change the way you and your loved ones hear the world.

View More View More

111 Widex Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I am a first-time hearing-aid user. I decided to spend the extra money on the Widex 440 as it was touted to be "top of the line." Within the first week the battery low tone came on, I replaced the batteries and within 2-days again the battery low tone came on. I then called the repair line at the Healthpartners Clinic and was told this was a "Known problem." Why wasn't I informed about this known problem when I purchased these (I took out a loan. They were so expensive). I insisted on a new pair, and the friendly audiologist team got approval. I picked up my new hearing aids 2-days ago and guess what? The battery low tone came on the day after I wore them, AND they are not adjusted right now to fit my ear. I am SOOOO frustrated. All the clinic can tell me is to bring them back and they will send them in on a "rush." How am I to know this will fix them? It hasn't even been 4 weeks. I would say be cautious and check around before you buy this brand.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Kim, thank you for reaching out and we apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing with your new purchase. We assure that we'll do all we can to remedy the issue as to ensure you'll receive optimal benefit from the hearing technology. Would you mind messaging us with the serial #s on the devices for us to research and reach out to your clinician on Monday?

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I am in the trial period for Widex 440 hearing aids (very expensive). Although the hearing aid functionality and flexibility are impressive, the audio streaming functions with my iPhone that are promoted as best in class by Widex are extremely poor. All iPhone Bluetooth audio features are very poor. This includes mobile phone audio (most important) being muffled, intermittent, and very bad frequency response. Streaming audio podcasts, music, etc. being distorted (especially at low frequencies), and overall poor frequency response, and all other audio functions such as Netflix and other various audio sources. I tested my iPhone Bluetooth with other audio reproduction systems such as my Sony home theater system and sound quality is outstanding. My iPhone operating system is up to date. My audiologist had the devices replaced by Widex with identical results. Any advice would be appreciated.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Carl, thank you for sharing your experience and we are disappointed to hear of your less than optimal results with the streaming feature. However, we do believe we can help resolve this for you rather easily. Would it be possible to have one of our technical support representatives contact you to troubleshoot? Thank you

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

When I first purchased the aids there were sounds that I had not heard for a while. Then squeals and hisses began. I was always told that it was wax. Just last Wednesday I had a cleaning and a calibration check. Less than ten minutes after leaving the office squeals started again. As I sit here if I turn my head squeals and hisses are heard. My daughter and grandchild say they squeal constantly and they have to talk louder or I will not hear them. I was told my next visit will incur a cost because of the number of trips I have made. There must be a refund or replacement at this point. Please help someone.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi John, thank you for sharing your experience and we would like to offer any support possible to ensure you get full benefit from your Widex hearing aid purchase. Could you please private message us with your hearing aid(s) serial number(s) to review the case history and speak with your specialist for possible resolutions on our end? Thank you

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

First of all these hearing aids (Evoke 110) are fantastic compared to the ones I just returned from another company after just 20 days of use. You basically get what you pay for. The only issue I have is paring them with my iPhone. The provider tried to pair them at her office and could not get them to pair. I have tried several times at home and still can't get them to pair. I followed the directions on Widex website but to no avail. Any help, guidance, tricks that will work, will be greatly appreciated.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Jim, thank you for your review and reaching out regarding your troubles in pairing your Evoke hearing aids with your iPhone. This should be no problem to easily assist you with and we suggest you call our tech support team at 1.844.497.8844 open M - F from 9am until 5pm EST. Please let us know if that does not resolve your connectivity setup. Thank you

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

My first experience with Hearing Aids started just a month ago. I’ve severe loss on right and profound on the left. I tried Lyric for a week and didn’t like the experience. I could define hear better, I didn’t like that I couldn’t take them out, couldn’t scratch an itch and was worried about being on motorcycle trips and them going deal while away.

I turned in Lyric after 1 week and went with Widex Evoke 440’s. I absolutely love them! I hear thing I’ve not heard in decades and I’m only 53 years old. Dinner Parties and Sales Meeting are so much easier nowadays. Everyone says they can’t see them, although that isn’t an issue for me. I don’t care what others think. I actually go out of my way to show all my friends my Evoke 440’s, talk about the app and their ability to switch modes and to learn. Widex... Thank You!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Widex USA Hearing Technology?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I purchased these very expensive rechargeable hearing aids in February of 2018 and have had endless problems. First the left hearing aid kept going off (not enough charge). Widex sent me a "new" one. Then it continued doing the same thing after a couple of weeks. Finally, we sent both hearing aids and the charger back to Widex. Now, after about a month, BOTH hearing aids are not charging completely (only hold a charge for about 5 hours).

I have tried to see if it's the hearing aid (it is not because BOTH hearing aids just stop working randomly). Then I tried to see if it's maybe one of the "docking" slots on the charger (it is not, because I put them in exactly the same slot every night and BOTH hearing aids are giving me problems). Right now, I am just so fed up that I am just returning it ALL and going to try a different brand. By the way, I also tried NOT connecting them to my phone thinking the link might be inadvertently draining the battery (this has not remedied the situation, either). I AM SO FRUSTRATED.

Widex Hearing Aids response
Hi Heidi, thank you for sharing your experience and we would like to offer support to ensure full benefit from your purchase of Widex hearing technology. Could you please message us with the serial numbers for your hearing aids so we can review the case history and reach out to your specialist with troubleshooting tips or possibly a courtesy replacement for a new set.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

About two months or so ago I went into Genesis Hearing Clinic for a hearing test. After the test I was fitted with the Widex Beyond. I have had nothing but problems since day one. I have already been back to the clinic due to problems six times. Supposedly a new hearing aid pair was ordered. The new ones were no different, and I'm still having problems. There is absolutely no excuse for what I've gone through. I've been back to the clinic because of what I called beeping, it was constant. The audiologist worked on the aids, and I left hoping everything would be okay now. Wrong. It was short lived. Then I had a constant squealing, so again back to the clinic.

Again, more changes. Then two days ago it was so loud I had to jerk them out of my ears. I could not control the sound with the button on the aids, and I don't have my cell phone with me at all times. While visiting my daughter, in front of her TV, I could not clearly hear what was being said, and once again without my cell phone right there, I was unable to control the sound. Now again I am going into the clinic because of all the problems. This is beyond ridiculous, and absolutely no excuse for it.

I have worn hearing aids since December 1991, and have never had such problems. I traded in my Resound when I got these Widex. I had worn that aid for years with no problems. The only problem I ever experienced was it was too loud in certain restaurants. I took the aid to Hearing Aid Express, and they corrected it and I never experienced another problem. I am so sorry I went to the Widex Hearing Aid Clinic, and all I want is a refund of monies, and not have to deal with these problems again. Enough is enough. $5,000.00 is a lot of money to dole out and experience the problems I have had. The only satisfactory outcome here is a refund although the audiologist informed me it's past the 30 days. I think having to return for adjustments or corrections six times already should be sufficient to make this refund.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I purchased the Widex Beyond 330’s in March 2018, due to failing a CDL physical because I couldn’t hear a whisper at even 1 foot away. I have moderate hearing loss in the left ear, and profound loss in the right ear, with the added problem of tinnitus. The audiologist recommended the Beyond 330’s because of the iPhone compatibility and the versatility of other product connectivity, such as the Com-Dex and the apps. The aids worked well for about 2-3 months, then started randomly increasing and decreasing the volume on their own, it goes to extremely loud for a few seconds and then it goes back down to normal. I usually have an extremely difficult time understanding what someone directly in front of me is saying because of over-amplified background noises. The clarity sometimes is no better than a $10 amplifier that I tried earlier.

The Com-Dex is a great concept when it works properly, but it has a lot of downfalls. It has no on-off switch, no volume control button, and I have to hold it in front of my mouth for the other person to hear me speak. The volume can only be adjusted with the phone buttons after a call is in place. And plugging a loop cord together while driving a semi truck can be dangerously tricky, since the Bluetooth doesn’t stay connected very well. (The phone is less than an arm's reach away.)

It also loses connection when I put the phone in my pants pocket in to order to talk and work. I’ve mentioned all these issues to the audiologist, with little to no resolution. I’m really disappointed that such a highly regarded and expensive hearing aid is no better than this. I would like some helpful advice as to getting these aids working properly because I can’t afford to lose my career as a truck driver. Thanks.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Widex and Widex Beyond do not improve my hearing acuity at all. The aids do enhance the volume but louder is not enough. With the Beyond, I hoped I would have a better experience, but have been sorely disappointed. I continue to have to ask the speaker to repeat words. I hear the sound but cannot decipher the words at times. In a large room, with one person talking, I do not understand much of what is being said.

I have tried to adjust the Sound menu many, many times especially to understand the dialogue on the TV, but to no avail. I was not given any instructions regarding Treble, Bass, Middle Presets. Considering the advanced technology of the aids, the expertise of the audiologist, and the cost to the consumer it seems reasonable to expect individualized instructions. I recently purchased TV ears for $125.00 from Amazon. They work perfectly! I can hear the tv normally - acuity is great, words are crystal clear - without Widex in my ears. I am baffled. Why do one-size-fits-all tv ears work so well and customed designed Widex hearing aids that cost 1000s of dollars do not? On the plus side, they do decrease tinnitus so I wear them for that purpose.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Several years ago my wife purchased your hearing aids for approximately $3500.00. She found them totally unsatisfactory. I then had them re-adjusted for myself, and once again totally unsatisfactory. The warranty is long gone but your product is junk.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Richard, very sorry to hear of your experience with your aged hearing aids. Typically the products last around 5 years but many people chose to upgrade to new technology sooner. If you can private message us with the serial #s we can investigate any possible solutions for you. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Purchased these hearing aids in April 2018. So far the left has had to be repaired/replaced. The right stopped working and we were told it was ear wax. Left on a one month vacation and after 2 weeks it stopped working again. Now the audiologist is telling us we bought an entry level hearing aid and we should really upgrade. If we upgrade, it certainly will not be Widex brand.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Faye, we are disappointed to hear of your recent issues with your hearing aids. If you can please private message us with your serial numbers we'd be more than happy to help in resolving to ensure you get proper benefit from your purchase. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I absolutely love my hearing aids. They are extremely comfortable and I can wear them all day. I never wore my old hearing aids all day because they were not comfortable. A good part of the day they were sitting in a dish on my counter. I always felt them in my ears. Now I hear so much better. I am more confident listening either to one person or in a group. Recently, I was in a restaurant and did not experience any difficulty hearing the people at my table. I wore the same style of hearing aids for 23 years and didn't realize just how much I was missing until I purchased my Evoke 440's. I also like that I can adjust them with my phone. I'm just sorry I didn't know about Evoke's sooner. I will be a Widex customer forever.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Cheryl, thank you so much for sharing your experience. We are thrilled to hear of your delight with our products. If there is anything we can do for you in the future please don't hesitate to reach out at anytime. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I love my Evoke 440 hearing aids. I finally feel like I can engage in any type of listening environment. I struggled with noisy restaurants and loud music in the background. Since I have had my Evoke devices I can now understand the conversations going on at the dinner table. I am also glad I do not have to go back to audiologist often for any adjustments. The hearing aids adapt to any listening situation I am in meetings, restaurants, and social gatherings.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I purchased Widex Hearing Aids a year ago at a cost of $5,000.00. The main reason I purchased them is because they claimed they were the only hearing aids designed for the iPhone. They did initially work reasonably with the iPhone but over the last 6 months they cannot maintain connectivity. When they lose connectivity the volume declines substantially. I contacted Widex several times and they can only say they are working on the problem. In the meantime I do presentations to large groups as a part of my job which I will lose if this problem keeps up. What makes the problem worse is that my health plan forced me to purchase through Amplifon and they just do not understand the difference between a trial period and defective products.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Dennis, thank you for reaching out and it is unfortunate to hear of your issues with the connectivity. However, recent firmware updates should easily resolve those occurrences for you. Would it be possible to have you be put in touch with one of our tech support representatives to remedy? Thank you

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I wore Widex Hearing Aids for 12 years and had hardly any problem. However, they gradually lost their ability to correct my hearing so I purchased the Widex Beyond 440 in April. I have severe tinnitus and moderate hearing loss, so I was happy to try out the Zen program. I wore this pretty continuously until 2 weeks ago (August). When I returned to my audiologist thinking one of the earring aids had stopped working, she informed me it was my ears which had stopped working! I had a "significant" change in hearing after a relatively stable hearing loss for 12 years! I still have not gotten into seeing the specialist, but I had no sudden exposure to loud sound or infection. Has this pattern ever happened before? The Zen program was programmed by my PhD audiologist. Now I am afraid to use it.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Shannon, thank you for reaching out. We understand your concern and confusion and would like to help remedy. Would it be possible for one our our customer support representatives to get in touch with you and your specialist to help try to further assist in resolving the issue for your Zen tinnitus program? Thank you

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I bought my Widex behind the ear hearing aids and while they were still under warranty the transmitters in both aids had to be replaced. I thought it strange that something that cost €6,000 would have parts that seemed to go so quickly. This was something I made known to the audiologist. These aids, I can assure you are looked after extremely well. Each evening they are cleaned and placed in the dry box (the tables are replaced on a regular basis). Filters and rubber tips are also replaced each month. A year later and I am now out of warranty when the right transmitter goes, I fought paying the €190 it cost to replace and stated I wanted the aids checked as I felt there was a problem somewhere that this was happening.

According to Widex no problems were detected. A couple of months down the line and now the left transmitter has given up!!! I contacted my audiologist who in turn contacted Widex. Their reply...I am out of warranty and there is nothing they can do. What a lovely way to treat customers. There is clearly something wrong as this now looks like it is an annual event. During the initial session with the company I purchased the aids from nobody made me aware that the transmitters would need to be replaced on such a regular basis. The bottom line now is I have hearing aids which are absolutely no good to me.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Dear Marie. Thank you for your message. We apologise for the inconvenience you are experiencing. We have been in contact with your Audiologist to investigate further and they are keen to support you and resolve the issues you are experiencing. Please contact them directly to arrange a convenient time to call in where they will rectify the problem immediately and will provide you with options to ensure you get the best experience from your hearing aids going forward.

Original review: July 26, 2018

First I like my Widex hearing aids. What my issue is that I have to keep reinstalling the Beyond app to my iPhone model 5c. Sometimes both hearing aids connect, sometimes only the left hearing aid does. Also when using the Bluetooth connectivity to hear phone conversations, the iPhone automatically switches to FaceTime then drops the call completely. So help please. I have the latest version of the app installed on my iPhone.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I received my Widex behind-the-ear hearing aids about 18 months ago and have been quite pleased. But within the past two weeks, I'm finding that the aids are depowering and minutes later may or may not turn back on. I've taken out the batteries and replaced them several times; have repositioned the aids; and actually put in brand new batteries. Some days are totally fine but this is becoming unpredictable as there is no "low battery" warning accompanying this.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Jeffrey, we are sorry to hear of your current product issue and believe it can be easily resolved for you. Have you brought the device(s) to your specialist yet for evaluation on possible repairs? We'd recommend that as the best starting point and if repairs are needed, we'll promptly take care of them as to ensure you are not without your devices for an extended period of time. Thank you

Original review: June 9, 2018

Product came highly recommended. However, I always have an issue with volume, currently having trouble with one hearing aid which has a low, soft sound compared to the other. Tried resolving issue my self, without success. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Transmitter went only after owing hearing aids for less than two years. Cost to replace was $100. Unfortunately I lost a hearing aid, due to being in and out of hospital last summer, cost to replace was $400. Batteries can be difficult to change due to very small size. I have the Dream model. Thank you for this opportunity to voice my opinion.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Daniel, we are glad to help resolve your hearing aid issues to help you get the full benefit of those devices. Could you private message us with the serial numbers so we can research the repair history as to share recommendations? Thank you

Original review: May 23, 2018

I recently got the Widex Hearing Aids with the rechargeable batteries and charger. They were fine the first few weeks and then would randomly just go dead in the middle of the day. Everything was sent back to the company and after getting them back within a week it started again. I have contacted my audiologist and they have talked to their rep who has told them my options are send everything back in again or just start using daily batteries. The whole reason I chose this brand was because it was highly recommended and I like the recharging feature. I've only had these a couple of months and am totally disappointed. As you all know, they aren't cheap and why should I have to keep something I no longer have faith in. I will be returning everything to my audiologist and then will do what I have to do to get my money back and move on to another brand.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Penny, it is unfortunate to hear of your less than satisfactory experience with our rechargeable hearing aid technology. We plan to replace your hearing aids entirely at no cost. We are confident this should resolve your battery issues completely. We will be coordinating the new devices shipment with your specialist and that should be there in the next few business days for your exchange to the new hearing aids. Thank you

Original review: May 8, 2018

Several years ago, bacterial meningitis took my hearing from one ear and approximately half my hearing in my other ear. I knew *nothing* about hearing aids. My audiologist guided me to use WIDEX. I use only one aid. Still coping with my sudden hearing loss, I simply followed her advice. For a year or so, thing were fine - mind you, I had nothing to compare my experience to. Then, the frequency of feedback and lack of clarity increased steadily. My audiologist sent the aid to WIDEX. Widex indicated it could not identify the problem and provided a new aid. After a few months, the feedback and lack of clarity began again. The warranty on the aid ended 5 mos. ago. Today, in my classroom, the aid simply stopped working. I've cleaned it, replaced all that can be replaced. I make certain to keep it dry. This is a tremendous hardship. I no longer have a warranty (and lost touch with my audiologist).

Most of my friends are advising me to switch to the PHONAK BRIO. I would prefer to save my money and simply have WIDEX either correctly repair this aid (which cost over $3000, if memory serves) or replace it. It seems a far more convenient thing to have COSTCO nearby should a problem arise with a PHONAK aid, than to have to find a way to communicate with a representative from WIDEX. I welcome any input and guidance. This teacher has one more month to teach before summer break and the LAST THING I NEED is a non-functioning hearing aid in my middle school classroom!

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Elizabeth, we are glad to help try to resolve your situation so you can get the full enjoyment of your Widex hearing aid. Could you please private message us your hearing aid serial #s so we can investigate further as well as your preferred method of contact for a customer service representative to reach out to you? Thank you

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have been "fighting" with my Widex Beyond hearing aids for about 6 months now. They work great except for one major issue...that is Bluetooth connectivity. I have an iPhone 6 plus and when I stream sound from my iPhone the sound breaks up and I also get brief connectivity issues. I have worked with my provider but they are out of options. WIDEX must now step up to the plate and fix this issue. Research on the internet has shown that this is an issue plaguing many WIDEX hearing aid users. WIDEX blame the iPhone and do not seem to be doing anything about it. I have NO issues with Bluetooth on any other devices, only my WIDEX hearing aids. OK WIDEX...the ball is in your court - fix this issue!!!

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Glen, thank you for sharing your challenges with the blue tooth connectivity. We are pretty certain this can be resolved with some simple updates. Would it be ok for a customer service representative to reach out to you by phone or email to walk you through that step?

Original review: March 6, 2018

I lost quite a bit of my hearing after an illness and went to audiologist and they highly recommended the Widex. I do not know what one I purchased, but it was around $5K three years ago. Took a few times back to adjust the part that goes in the ear and the length of clear tube that goes over the ear. But since then, I had wax in one but knock on wood they have been wonderful for me since then. My husband is experiencing hearing loss now so I hope that he can adapt as well as I have and again be able to enjoy hearing again.

I have purchased the Bluetooth receiver, not the prettiest thing I have hung on my neck but as an owner of a B&B it makes it so easy to take phone calls on my Moto Z android phone without having to be in the same room as the phone. Distance is quite limited but it works fairly well for my application. Will purchase a new set definitely.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Thank you Ramona for you feedback, we are pleased to hear you are enjoying your new Widex hearing aids.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Was told by provider, that they were best brand going, had tried my brother's over the ear Beltone, sounds were great, fitted March 28 2017, called provider back to tell of a whistling problem, continual, told to set to lowest setting and was told to come back in Aug 2018, tolerated trouble 6 months till appointment, audiologist put a larger set of foam pads and reprogrammed, going home 70 miles they were whistling and feedback, was told to push them as far back in canal with pinky finger as possible, I did that and with 2 hours had major earache in both ears, called provider back next day after I found blood on pillow next morning, was told, you have 2 options, either put the small foam on and deal with the whistling, or keep the large foam on and deal with the uncomfortable feeling of having a football shoved in my ear.

Provider set new appointment for Feb 22 2018, when I met with doctor, was informed she no longer participates in the AARP/HearUSA program and that after this appointment all future visits would be out of pocket, but she would send aids back to Widex if need be, I explained to her that I could hear a kid on the back pew in church take the wrapper off a piece of candy, or if I happen to get a few pieces of sand on my shoes, that it was so loud that it sound like I was walking on bubble wrap, Dr. tried to convince me that was what I should be hearing, I explained to her how loud it was and when I was a teen and in my 20's it wasn’t that loud, then she said I was hard of hearing in my younger years which I know is BS, I could hear a co-workers wrist watch alarm in a room with 12 other people and none of the others could hear it. But the Dr. insisted that was normal.

I tried to tell her I could hear noise ok, but if my wife in the car, or someone sitting beside me in church says something, I have to ask them 2 or 3 times, because voices are still low, if it be a man with low bass, voice or a woman with a high pitched voice, I can’t understand them, and I can remove my right aid and hear voices better without it, than with it in.

My problem now, I have a $4000 set of hearing aids that is past the 90 day refund or exchange, a Dr. who no longer participates in the HearUSA program and they want me to go to a new audiologist , I have a feeling he might not want to take on someone else’s problem, so I have a $4000 mantel piece, I can’t wear them because of pain and whistling, like a tight pair of shoes, they may look good, but they sure do hurt, I put them in the closet never to wear again.

I also changed from AARP/United Health Care to BCBS/Advantage, I ask them about a new pair of hearing aids, these through United Health Care I paid $1835 each, on the Advantage plan they said I could get the same ones for $599 each, my question is to AARP, why are you sponsoring a company like UHC and saying you are helping seniors, when BCBS has nothing to do with AARP, and could have got my hearing aids at less than 1/2 what I was charged. My biggest question and this is to Widex, why have you not recalled these aids, every negative comment is like mine... They amplify noise… But they don't amplify voice?

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi James, we are here to help you in any way to get the full benefit of your Widex hearing aids We are confident we can help you do so and would like to offer to have a customer service representative reach out to you soon to help facilitate that process. Would that be OK on your end to contact you by phone or email? Thank you

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Let me count the ways I'm upset with Widex. I had a pair of 5-year-old ITE Widex aids, along with an accompanying M-Dex. Everything worked fine, although the screen on the M-Dex no longer lights. Eventually I found a site online that helped me figure on which buttons to push to accomplish what I needed. I learned Widex had hearing aids made for iPhone and this appealed to me, though I didn't yet have an iPhone. I ordered the Beyond 330's for trial. I decided I wanted to go for all the bells and whistles, so I switched to the 440's. I also got the Com-Dex and the Uni-Dex.

I didn't mind wearing the Com-Dex, but was very disappointed with the Uni-Dex. Yes, I could stream music from my laptop, no problem. But I'd been in the habit of connecting my M-Dex to my laptop via a 3.5 mm cable and thus could stream sound while watching movies or videos. I was appalled to discover that when trying to do that with the Uni-Dex, I could get the sound alright, but it turned out to be about a second behind the video. Who wants to watch a movie where the words coming out of actors' mouths don't coincide with their lip movements?

So... a friend gave me an old iPhone 5 and I returned the Com-Dex and the Uni-Dex. The iPhone 5 was okay, but too small, I thought, so I wanted a bigger phone. Then I read on the Widex website that several models of Samsung phones would also work with the Beyond App. So I bought a Samsung S7. Loved the phone. It only took a few days to discover that while I could control my hearing aids with it, I could not stream either phone calls or sound from my computer to my hearing aids with it. It took a very long time to find somewhere buried deep in the Widex website in very small print a statement that said you could not stream with android phones. Grrrr!

So I was able to return the Samsung phone (which was another nightmare...). I then got an iPhone 6s. Yes, I can stream phone calls and also music from my computer. But as I had already learned early on, I absolutely couldn't watch videos on my laptop unless I also bought a Com-Dex and a Uni-Dex and even then the sound of movies would not be in sync with the video, So here's what I'm forced to do: I use the Beyond 440's with the iPhone 6S most of the time. But if I want to watch something on my computer, I have to get out my old hearing aids and my barely functioning M-dex and watch the videos that way. I don't know what I'll do when either the hearing aids or the M-Dex stop working.

One of the reasons I moved up to the Beyond 440's was that they have all these wonderful programs! Right. Yes, I can hear a difference when I switch from one setting to another, but it isn't pronounced. The equalizer works, after a fashion, but you can only adjust bass, mid-range, and treble volumes. And if you are at one setting and have everything set up the way you want it, then switch to another setting, all your fine tuning goes away. Frustrating!

And my biggest complaint: I can't hear what a people are saying unless we're in a quiet environment. I can go to Denny's for breakfast with one other person and I have to have him repeat things 3 times. Sometimes I just give up and don't even tell him I can't hear him. And I only have a moderate hearing loss. So there you go: streaming woes, android phone woes, and just plain hearing woes. I don't get a warm, fuzzy feeling when someone asks me how I like my Widex hearing aids.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Wayne, we never enjoy learning of someone's frustration with their new hearing aids as is occurring in your case. While nearly all hearing aid manufacturers are still waiting/ working on the direct streaming capability with the various Android phone makers, we are hoping to have a resolution in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if there is anything we can do to help with the sound processing in noisy situations for your enjoyment of conversations, we are glad to help. If OK on your end, we can work with your specialist to help in any fine-tuning of the devices. Also, we are happy to supply you with any of the DEX media streaming devices that you may need as well. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased the Widex Beyond B-F2T with the promise that it would connect with my Samsung Smartphone (Android type) if it was an S6 or higher model. Since I only had a Samsung S5, I could only use the APP for volume change, But I was told that once I had A Samsung S6 or higher, I would be able to get streaming such as music and calls on my phone. Based on this, I purchased the Hearing Aids (above product) and recently have purchased a Samsung S7. When I went to the Audiologist, The hearing aids could not get any streaming items (no different than my S5 phone), and that they hoped to have the technology soon. What a waste of money and time. Widex should not have promised their representatives that the Bluetooth would work for the Android phone systems.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Monroe, we completely understand your frustration and want to assure you we do all we can to clarify the streaming capability differences between iPhone and Android devices. While nearly all hearing aid manufacturers are still waiting/ working on the direct streaming capability with the various Android phone makers, we are hoping to have a resolution in the not too distant future. We hope you can still get the benefit of better hearing with the hearing aids as well as streaming with use of the DEX devices. If you private message us, we would be happy to help you get any accessory devices that you may need as well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Hi. I have Widex Dream 440 and am waiting delivery of the New Widex Beyond Z. Just 2 days ago I read a lot of very negative reviews about the Widex app on the Widex app. In particular about Bluetooth connectivity problems and not getting resolved by Widex only the same bland answer, and also the absence of the Android version. I’m an Android user. I reported my concerns to Widex about the way they’re not dealing with the issues raised in the app reviews and also told my supplier about the negative reviews and now lo and behold all the reviews are gone off the system. So at least I can’t find them! Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Tim, we are continually making improvements to the hearing aid apps as it relates to reliability of bluetooth connection to all iPhone models and via our DEX media accessories to many Android models. While the technology of smart phones is advancing at a rapid rate, we are now typically right behind the new operating system updates with our own app updates as well. If you have any further questions regarding the app/ streaming performance of the Beyond Z rechargeable hearing aids we are happy to reach out by email or phone if desired. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I purchased a Widex Beyond B-F2T. The first hearing aid after 8 hours on, started to shift the setting mode and change the volume on its own. Took it back for a new one. The second one could never pair it with my iPhone. Don't waste your money.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Monty, we are very sorry to hear of the unfortunate instances you had with those hearing aids. If there is anything we can do to help assure you get the full benefit of our hearing aids at any point in the future, if ever considering trying again, please let us know. Thank you

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have had my Widex 440 BTE hearing aids for four years. After the first year I have had to frequent my audiologist every few months due to the receiver in either ear no longer working. It is a simple process to change this out, however after doing much research the consumer does not have the ability to purchase new receivers, but instead has to have this done by the audiologist. For the price I paid for these hearing aids you would think they would not be as faulty as they are. I take very good care of them considering the price I paid so I don't contribute this issue due to misuse or handling. I am very dissatisfied in the product as I am stuck having to take time off of work every few months to have a receiver replaced that takes less than 5 minutes... Next time I will not be purchasing a Widex product.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Kimberly, sorry for our delayed response here but we will still want to offer support to help resolve in any way possible. We appreciate the feedback and find it unusual to need the receiver changed so often. We're happy to offer a courtesy inspection/ repair if desired to try to prevent future occurrences that create the inconveniences on your end. Thank you

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I own two Widex Unique 440-312 RIC hearing aids that I have had for about 21 months. Over the course of this time the receiver, which is the wire component, one end of which actually goes into my ear canal and has the speaker attached and the other end plugs into the unit behind my ear has failed nine times. It is the sixth time for the Right receiver, which seems to be failing at a rate of 2 times that of the left. I have also began noticing some diminished ability with the right side aid, but the instrument is still working.

When I first received my hearing aids I was told that I would have to regularly replace wax guards and batteries, but not receiver replacement. These failures are not my fault. I have done all I was advised to do from the audiologist and the Hearing Planet, the online dealer who sold me the units. I believe there is some sort of systemic design failure with the receivers. Or it may for some reason be restricted to the pair I have. Both are issues for Widex. The hearing aids were very costly, and the thought of the expense of regularly replacing the receivers, which are also very expensive, once the warranty is expired is unconscionable.

Other friends who also have hearing aids of other brands do not report these problems. I have to say that these regular failures are discouraging and I now believe I probably did not make the best choice in brands. I know Hearing Planet is just the retailer, so I don’t hold the company responsible for design issues. Until recently, they have offered excellent customer service. The hearing aids are still under warranty, but although I have communicated with Widex and Hearing Planet via email my recent inquiries, which were made about a week ago, have gone unanswered. So even warranty issues are being ignored. I am hoping you can help with this issue.

Widex USA Hearing Technology expert review by Shelley Webb

Founded in 1956, Widex is a hearing aid manufacturer based in Denmark. Widex is a hearing aid industry leader, ranking among the top six manufacturers worldwide. Its products are sold through independent clinical practices in over 100 countries. Widex specializes in innovative digital technology. In fact, Widex invented the first digital in-the-ear hearing aid.

• Product selection: Widex offers solutions for many hearing issues, including tinnitus, single-sided deafness and more. It carries a wide selection of in-the-ear and over-the-ear devices to suit your needs. Widex also offers a line of hearing aids, called UNIQUE, that connect wirelessly to a communication device called a COM-DEX to stream telephone calls, music and more.

• Range of options for children and babies: Most hearing aid companies offer one or two models that are appropriate for use with children. Widex, however, offers a line of aids for children to optimize sound quality. Widex has also created a hearing aid specifically for babies for a secure, safe fit on the smallest patients.

• Made for iPhone: The Widex Beyond is a new model of hearing aid made specifically to interface with the iPhone. The Beyond app allows you to swipe through intuitive commands such as volume controls, changing between sound programs and streaming music.

• Customer support: You will be fitted for your Widex hearing aids at an independent clinic, such as an audiologist or ENT office, and your hearing professional can help you with most questions related to your hearing aids. For questions specifically about the device, you can contact the Widex customer support team through their website.

• Helpful website: You can utilize the Widex website to find information about hearing loss, take a free online hearing test and locate a Widex distributor near you. You can also download brochures, manuals and more, or find information on hearing aid care.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with acquired or progressive hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Widex Hearing Aids Company Information