3.71/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Need a good hearing aid?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Widex Hearing Aids

Founded in 1956 in Denmark, Widex has become one of the world's largest hearing aid manufacturers. Customer service and superior products are the top priorities for the company as a whole and the more than 4,000 employees worldwide.

Let Widex help change the way you and your loved ones hear the world.

Find out more Find out more
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

77 Widex Hearing Aids Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

It's been a year since fitted with pair of behind ear aids 440 model. To this day I have not been able to wear them full time. No matter what setting I can't hear people at my table or when I'm driving. It feels like headphones mufflers. I had better luck with pair of Siemens except had to return them due to blockage in ear. Total waste of $7400.00.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

The woman who fitted my husband told him to get either Widex or another brand. He got the ones that go behind the ear from Widex because they didn’t show and were the higher tech with the pendant and features for Bluetooth and the weather. He’s an engineer so he liked all the little bells and whistles. They are his first ones and he says they’re good. They were very expensive but he might as well get the ones that would work and now he can hear better. One doesn’t have to ask and repeat things so many times to him. It’s easier on me and he can also get more out of conversations and the television.

My husband has some problems with his hands due to nerve damage and the hearing aids are a little bit tiny so they're hard for him to put in. He also doesn’t like that they get clogged up with ear wax easily and the batteries go out so fast. We called customer service a couple of times and they dealt with whatever the issues were right away and we talked to a gentleman who was really helpful. The whole experience has been fine, professional, and pleasant.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Behind-the-ear hearing aids were recommended and are easy to handle for me so I got them from Widex and they are much better than the ones I used before. I like that I can increase and decrease the sound and that I can adjust the sound in a restaurant. The price is a little steep but it works very well.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I went with the behind-the-ear device because it’s easy and I don’t like the big thing in the ear. I like the little remote that I can carry in my purse and I can adjust it in noisy places. I also like the feature of being able to change stations on it. The quality is excellent and I like my Widex hearing aids better than my old brand but I’m ready to have them tuned up. They’re not doing very well right now because of the progression of my hearing. Also, they’re all over-priced.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

When I had a surgery in the '80s and '70s I was told that a hearing aid would never help. I wish I could hear better but my surgery is different than most people’s hearing problems because I had a bone missing. It’s called a stapedectomy. So I just tried Widex and it does help some. A lot of people told me to get it while others said they’d rather go to Costco. All hearing aids are too expensive and we picked the middle of the line. I have other friends who have this line and they like it too.

I have a brown piece over the ear and a rubber tip in the ear and because of my inner ear it was really hard for me to learn how to put it in but once I did it was very simple. I’m very happy with my device and I like to put it on during parties a lot to make things clearer. I've had more quality and my kids are very happy that I did this so I don’t have to pretend, answer wrong and get in trouble. When you hear better you don’t act quite so ignorant. I was going to call them because the little white case that they sent me to clean the wax out, which I have a lot of problem with, when the envelope came it was ripped and I think one or so of those fell out. I was going to ask for more but I really appreciate that they send those to me. I think that’s great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Widex USA Hearing Technology?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have Widex Hearing Aids and I chose the one that's in the ear and it’s been satisfactory. I went in for one adjustment and they were very quick to give me an appointment and to do the adjustment at no charge. They adjusted the sound for a louder environment and when I came out, the hearing aid worked just fine and it also made my wife happy. Kelly, the office manager, went out of her way to be helpful, and they also gave me batteries with it for two years. I’m 85 years old and I don’t treat things hard but the quality is satisfactory. I’d probably buy the same model again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

WE bought Widex Dream 4 years ago. They are wonderful but we have had so much trouble when we need adjustments or help with them. Now the last time we were in to our Dr she said it would cost 250 dollars for each one to have fixed. We paid over 4000 dollars for these hearing aids and just can't afford to pay that much for repair so soon. We just need some advice.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Widex was recommended to me by Scripps Clinic and the two different Widex reps I've worked with have been very good. If I was paying out of pocket I would be looking for one that was not quite as expensive but the majority cost of both my hearing aids were covered by insurance. I got the the behind-the-ear device because it was fairly compact and not very noticeable. I like the ability to have the different programs and the hearing aids have helped me hear my spouse and talk to friends much better in like a restaurant. The only disadvantage is I don't hear music as well. If I have a radio on I know I’m not getting a lot of that sound. But overall Widex appears to be a very quality-oriented company.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Widex is the only place that does the testing and fitting right in our town. They were the closest provider so I went to them. When I bought the in-the-ear hearing aid I was assured that I could bring it back in within a number of days and they'll return my money. I tried the hearing aid just before that time was up. I didn’t enjoy the experience and I wanted my money back and they wouldn’t do it even if they had promised they would. They said I’d had it a long time but I hadn’t had it as long as they had said that I could keep it and then bring it back. Otherwise I would’ve brought it sooner. So I just used the hearing aid up to the end of that period and then didn’t use it again. There was nothing about the experience I liked after they wouldn’t give me my money back. They seemed pretty professional up to that point. I’m very disappointed with the company and the people I dealt with.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi William, thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to learn of you experience with a distributor of our products in your area. It seems there may have been a simple misunderstanding that we can hopefully help to resolve. Could you please private message us with the serial numbers of your hearing aids and we can reach out to the dispensing clinic on your behalf. Thank you

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I got Widex hearing aids and they're good. I have it behind my ear and it has good features that are better than my old ones. The Bluetooth interface into my iPhone is my favorite. But I was very disappointed in their inability to suppress background noise directly from behind me. I think that's called the front focus effect. That's a major complaint which is a serious complaint. It's the major reason for hearing aids. Also Widex is also pricey.

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been fitted with the Passion 440 mini RIC hearing aids after another brand of iPhone compatible HAs failed. These HAs never seemed to help like the other set. I could not tell I had them in and always turned up the volume two clicks when I put them in. The RC Dex was clunky and annoying and easy to lose and had so few functions. I ordered and got a Com-Dex hoping to get some iPhone compatibility back but I am not impressed. It does not work as well as iPhone compatible HAs. It loses connection and has to be reset. It is difficult to determine what will go through my HAs and what will not. Many of the things that streamed with the previous HAs does not with the Widex HA and COm-Dex.

Now that I am able to stream audio it is very apparent my left HA is malfunctioning. The audio comes and goes and is very garbled. I am not sure if reprogramming could help but I definitely could not recommend these HAs. I am waiting for my appointment to see if they can be repaired and the programming redone. I will probably resort to my old HAs until then. My Widex experience has been very unsatisfactory.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Paul, we are srry to hear of your unfavorable experience with your new hearing aids. Could you please tell us if your recent appointment helped to fix the issues you were experiencing? If not, we are happy to help offer support as well to resolve. Thank you

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I had Oticon and Starkey hearing aids before, and now, I have the Widex, but I don’t like it because of its interface with my cellphone. I got the Starkey and the Widex because I have an iPhone and I love being able to do the settings with the phone. But since the Widex doesn’t pair with my phone, I had to send it back. The last time it happened, the right hearing aid was paired but not the left one. So, every time this happens, I have to go into my phone settings, then to general, to accessibility, then to hearing aids and try to get the hearing aids paired. This is unlike the Starkey which stayed automatically paired.

Also, Widex has only three plus a loop settings while Starkey has about 10 different settings that I could choose from. Another reason I got the Widex is its sound quality, which is way better, as mentioned by Kelly, my hearing aid professional. But I couldn't compare it with other hearing aids because Widex is not pairing with my phone. I haven’t had a satisfactory experience with Widex and I wouldn’t recommend them.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Martha, thank you for sharing your experience and we're sorry to hear of your frustration with pairing. Oftentimes, this can be simply resolved through a few methods to repair or update the app. Would it be ok if our customer service team reached out to you to help troubleshoot?

Also, both Unique and Beyond have a “Sound Class” analysis system that assesses the environment and categorizes in one of 9 categories at the 440 level; fewer at 30 etc. One of these classes is Party and another is Party with Speech. Some changes can be made to the Party sound class within the general Universal in fine tuning. Additionally, you can choose to make Party its own program. This allows for more fine tuning options.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I’ve been pretty happy with Widex Hearing Aids. The person I saw at A1 Hearing recommended the brand. I got a behind-the-ear model and I haven’t had them for that long, but it seems to be a good quality product. I like that I can change the volume of the hearing aids. I also have an app on my phone that I can play around with. There were times, though, that I lose contact with the app and I had to go in and restart the whole process. There seemed to be bugs in the app that affect how it interacts with the hearing aids. The hearing aids are also comfortable except for a little fussing around with things sometimes. But you’d get used to it and the longer you have the Widex Hearing Aids, the easier they would be to use.

The Widex Hearing Aids were very expensive though. They charged me $7,500 with the ones I have and I was surprised that my insurance covered most of it. I have paid, and then, the rep put the claim in to the insurance company and suddenly, I got a bunch of money back which was amazing. However, if you don’t have insurance, it’s hard to get this hearing aid. Luckily, I could afford to pay that, even if the insurance had not helped me. Fixing hearing problems is very important because there’s a connection between not getting hearing aids and developing dementia and Alzheimer’s more frequently. Widex should try to make their hearing aids more affordable.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I had a few good weeks with my new 440 aids, and then my right aid stopped syncing with the app. The right aid was completely faulty and my audiologist was able to get me a replacement. However, it still refuses to sync with the app and they are just not functionally helpful. It's more than just the lack of bluetooth syncing. Widex told them that I need to upgrade my operating system, which I did. This, however, did not resolve the issue. Very disappointing. Advise anyone?

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Karen, we are sorry to hear of your frustration. Would it be possible to have a customer service team member reach out to you to help resolve the issue? Thank you, Todd

Resolution In Progress
    Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Hearing, to me, is very important. I have tried two different hearing aid brands before. I started with Siemens, then I switched to the Swiss one and it was a lot better because it was newer. But Widex is good and I like their variation. It has more options. I use the remote control and I like that too. But I'm very dissatisfied with the party station. It just doesn't work. I can sit in a restaurant and try to talk to my friend across the table and all I can hear is background noise. It just does not take any of the surrounding noise into consideration. We tried and tried to amend it and it's just awful. I see Kelly about every three months to have them cleaned. She tries different things and it's just not acceptable. I really don't want to go out to lunch anymore because I can't understand what they're saying across the table. I'm not satisfied. I would certainly recommend my friends that they go for the trial.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Sylvia, thank you for your feedback and we are glad to hear you are getting some benefit from your hearing aids, despite problems with background noise as you have reported. We would like to help you resolve that issue and should be able to do so rather quickly. To start, can you please explain what you are referring to with the 'party station'? Is that the remote mic device by chance?

Resolution response: Aug. 29, 2017

Bluetooth problems partly fixed with replacement iPhone 6s and the latest firmware and app software. But still there are quirks.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have difficulty with the Bluetooth functionality. I coerced Apple and Verizon to send me a new phone which may have helped some but the Apple Watch will not connect through the Beyond app. I have had clicking sounds in the aids. Occ the aid buttons do not even work at the same time the beyond app doesn't respond. Transportation mode is variably effective: decreasing sound then slowly rising again. My biggest issue is am I getting into the age old problem of one company blaming the other with the customer caught in the middle. Sound quality is excellent. We have been through probably 7 Widex pairs through the years but someone need to make the Bluetooth connection more stable.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi John, thank you for sharing your experience and it appears as if the update has resolved much of the bluetooth pairing issue. If there is anything additional we can do to help troubleshoot any lingering issues please let us know. Thank you

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I am perfectly satisfied and happy with Widex Hearing Aids. They fixed them up for me and I would get another pair, except I am terminally ill and I don’t want to spend $3,000 for hearing aids. More than anything, I like that I have this remote on it so I don’t have to reach up and arrange my hearing aids.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience Bernice, we are glad to hear of your satisfaction!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

The first Widex I had were too hard on my ears because they put such pressure on them and then my ears started aching all the time. Recently, I got the soft ones and they are much more bearable than the others. I am mainly confined to the house and without my hearing aids, I could not hear the television, the news, or anything that connects me to the world so I’m very grateful for them.

The one problem I have is the left ear. I can only hear the TV when I also turn on the volume and over the right one, I don’t need any volume. As a matter of fact, the volume of the TV interferes with it. My left ear used to be my better ear and now it’s deteriorating and I wish I could find something better. I have called Kelly who sold me the hearing aids and I tried to make an appointment with her but she’s away right now. I would recommend them to a friend but as I say, some people want to have two ears.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I recently upgraded from my Widex Clear hearing aids. I purchased a set of Widex Beyond 440 hearing aids. At that time I also acquired a Call-Dex unit and a Remote Call-Dex unit to help my hearing in restaurant conditions. Syncing the units was very straight forward using the Widex online youtube video. I expected that with the Remote streaming green and the Call-Dex connected around my neck that I would be able to hear across the table and enjoy a normal back-and-forth conversation. That has not been my experience.

The ‘How to Use’ instructions and TroubleShooting help available for using these units is spare and cryptic to the point of being meaningless. The Widex attitude seems to be, make an appointment with your audiologist and let them figure it out. Sometimes they can’t either. Specifically when the voice streams from the Remote to my hearing aids through the Call-Dex neck unit, it is audible as I would expect. However when I speak back, my voice echoes like Lou Gehrig’s farewell address at Yankee Stadium. If I push the room-off button on the Call-Dex, my voice then disappears completely, although I can still hear the voice from the Remote.

Obviously something isn’t working properly, It really shouldn’t be that complicated to figure out or use. I have over the years invested in several Widex accessories. A Phone-Dex unit sits on my desk, a Uni-Dex plugs into my computer or iPod, I have TV-Dex for each television in my house. They all work as I would expect... and I guess I expected the Call-Dex and Call-Dex Remote to do the same. They don’t... and that is disappointing... especially since I was informed that I needed to upgrade to the Beyond units to use this latest technology that included Call-Dex...and that is a prime reason for going from the perfectly adequate Clear units to the not inexpensive Beyond 440 hearing aids.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Dennis, we apologize for your frustration and we would definitely like to work with you to resolve your issue. Would you be open to having our customer service team contact you to best identify the items to address?

Todd

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was asked to try Widex hearing aids on and I liked it. It's fine when I need it. It works good. It sounds better and is easier to put on compared to a different set of hearing aids that I previously had.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Great to hear of your satisfaction David! If you need anything in the future feel free to reach us at correspondence@widexusa.com

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I tried Widex hearing aids, I liked them and I felt comfortable with them. They helped me to be able to communicate and listen on what's going on. I also have an outstanding technician and she's been wonderful which has been a big, big help. This is my second Widex hearing aids and it's the behind the ear style that has a little chord that plugs into the ear. I love the audio. Especially if one of the hearing aids comes loose and it's ready to fall off of my ear. It keeps telling me what to do. I also like the fact that they're so light.

But the cap that goes in the ear was too big and I could only wear it for two hours at a time. It was getting very uncomfortable so I've changed the cap size and it's better now. Also, the battery cage keeps falling out and it's not strong. I had an opportunity to send it back for repair but it was still not strong enough when it came back. And the battery is only good for a week, which is short. It'd be fabulous if there was some way to get a battery that could last for 10 days to a month.

No response received
    Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

Sent an email via company contact form. Looking for more prompt response if at all possible. Received the wrong part (need a right ear HP receiver) for my hearing aid. I have received THREE left ear HP receivers and one REGULAR right ear receiver. I would hope the incompetence does not lie with Widex and rather with my distributor. I did have an issue with Widex a few years ago when you shipped out the non acrylic version of my mold twice. So I am really not sure where the blame falls in this instance. I can easily see it going either way. Looking for the situation to get resolved asap so that I can amend this review.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Charles, sorry for your inconvenience. Good news, however, we are certain we can easily and quickly resolve this issue. Can you private respond to us with your hearing aid serial #s and we can get the right parts shipped right away.

Todd

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I got the regular hearing aids from Widex. They work right except for when I go to a party or in a meeting and everybody's talking from the table. Everybody I know is having the same problem. These hearing aids picked up everybody's noise or the background noise. Still, I hear a little better now and that's a good sign.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I wanted state-of-the-art hearing aid so my audiologist recommended the behind-the-ear product from Widex. Its features are good but sometimes I have a really tough time getting it reconnected such as when I use the features on my iPad. Also the hearing aid won't connect using the app on my phone. It will say one hearing aid is there but the other one isn't. I have to keep turning the hearing aid off and on and opening up the battery. There have been things like that that's not been real fun.

Also the hearing aid is ridiculously expensive and if the insurance doesn't pay for it that'd be stupid. At some point everybody needs hearing aids. My mother needs them right now but I'm not getting them for her because she's 92 years of age and there's no way I'm going to send $10,000 and she'd drop them in the morgue. But the quality of my hearing aids is good. I can hear now which I wasn't able to before and I've already recommended it to friends.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I owned a different brand of hearing aids in the past and Widex is better. My audiologist recommended the hearing aid that stick in my ear and goes over the top of my ear. I like the settings that she set up. I also like that I can hook them up to my TV and then it transmits the sound into my hearing aids. The hearing aids have very good quality and the price is well worth it for the package that I bought. The replacement, the unlimited batteries and everything else that goes with it are not cheap but I got what I paid for. I can hear much better than not using the hearing aids. Without them, I can hear but I don't totally understand what's being said. I'd definitely recommend Widex to others. People should find a confident and thorough audiologist. The products that Widex carries are the most important things, including the warranties and the price. I'm overly satisfied with them.

Original review: July 20, 2017

My hearing aids are only 2-3 years old and already seem dead. I was not able to wear them for a long time, (1 year?) and they were stored in clean, dry, air conditioned place without batteries. Now they are dead even with batteries fresh from the store. Over 2k down the toilet.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Rob, we're sorry to hear of your hearing aid issues. However, we are certain we can help restore their functionality for you. Could you private message us with the name of your hearing clinic and we can coordinate a no cost repair/ servicing for you?

Todd

Original review: July 18, 2017

I knew I should get my ears checked when I started cupping my hand around my ears. I had an amazing hearing test the showed I had lost my high end. I cried when I tried them for the first time to regain at how much I had lost. I'm quieter because I hear myself. I love the Bluetooth feature though my friends thought I was crazy when I seemed to be talking to myself. I love the fit and no one can see my pretty blue cases. I have received the best deal when I compare prices with my friends. I had forgotten what the wind sounds like in the trees, water down the drain, music! I'm very satisfied.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Lynn, we are delighted to hear of your extreme satisfaction with your new Widex hearing aids. We'd love to have you share your story on our spotlight website as well if you would like to add your thoughts there as well: https://hear-together.widex.com/

Original review: July 10, 2017

I have tried both the Unique 440 BTE and ITE models. I use a headset at work and to IIC works best and is most comfortable with the headset. But outside of work I prefer the BTE because my ears don't feel clogged. What does Widex have that would meet both needs in only one set of hearing aids? I can't afford both.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Patricia, thank you for the great review and we're happy to hear that you are enjoying your new hearing aids. We will look into your inquiry and share a recommendation for you very soon.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I started with Widex and then they switched me to a different one but I liked the Widex better. I have a very small ear and the piece they sent out that goes in my ear doesn’t fit. So, I’m using the little rubber tip. When I go back, I’m gonna ask them but the way I understand it and seeing that I paid $7000 for it, they should make it so it fits. It’s very hard to get them in. At times, if somebody sits next to me, I really don’t hear that well what they’re saying. It’s when I retrieve it from a distance. But life is much simpler and I can hear better now. Also, the people were very nice to deal with and they were very thorough.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Hi Carol, thank you for the great review and we're happy to hear that you are enjoying your new hearing aids. If you need anything at all in the future don't hesitate to reach out by emailing us at correspondence@widexusa.com.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I went to the doctor's office and had my ears checked. Widex hearing aids was advertised and the price wasn't outrageous - it was enough for me to handle. I got the model that fits over and at the back of my ear. It has in-canal speakers so I didn't know that I had it on and they still looked close to my ears. I use it when I go out and it's a good unit. It's easy to use. It has a Bluetooth that I also use. Once I put it on, it'd be ears to my phone. I would recommend Widex.

Widex Hearing Aids response

Thank you Alvin for your review and we're pleased to hear you are fully enjoying the new hearing aid technology.

Widex Hearing Aids Company Information