Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Widex Hearing Aids

Great to hear you are enjoying your new hearing aids, thank you for sharing!

Original review: April 1, 2017

What a powerful change, putting my new Widex hearing aids in! After they were properly programmed, it was amazing to hear what I've been missing for years! For example, the sound of water running in the sink has such a clarity to it, I almost felt like it was too loud!

I obtained a Com-Dex in hopes of using it at work to listen to office phone calls, online tutorials and streaming, but it only works for smartphones despite the Note in the User Instructions that says you can use it "to stream sound from any Bluetooth-enabled sound source to your hearing aids." At least, it would not work with my work computer after installing Harmony Bluetooth software and dongle to the computer.

Also, since my car has Bluetooth I don't need the Com-Dex for phone calls while in the car. But the only way I could find to turn the Com-Dex off when a call came in was to unplug the neck cord connection. And guess what? When I got out of the car I eventually realized that with the loop disconnected it had fallen from around my neck and I had lost it. I am pretty sure it fell into the street, and I backtracked but never saw it again. A sheer waste of about $250 and very disappointing.

I might be willing to try the M-Dex instead for streaming at work, but the audio plug-in wire looks awfully short for reaching the computer. Can a longer one be substituted? And how can I tell if it will work with a particular computer setup? I did not find specs on your website; apparently this is the domain of hearing aid professionals only. The hearing aids themselves (Unique) do an excellent job, especially with music, but occasionally it seems they dampen the sound level abruptly and it sounds as if the battery died when it didn't, or as if I just dove underwater. I also echo other reviewers about the short 1-1.5 week battery life.

I have a couple of Widex aids - models # U3FSBE & 8 932 0101 021. Fairly new with hearing aids, just got these last September, 2016. I have significant hearing loss since I was a toddler and I was mainstreamed while growing up. Never had hearing aids before so this was new and exciting. At first I was overjoyed, I was able to hear sounds I had never heard before. It was fascinating, like a new world opened up and so many new things to learn!

For the first 9 months didn't have any major issues. Was able to get them dialed in and I was happy with them - for a while. Now that warmer days are upon us I am finding many shortcomings, specifically what seems to be the sensitivity to heat. I am unable to spend more than 5 min outside on a warm day with the aids quitting. I am an active individual and have discovered that the aids are not a good fit for active lifestyles. I find I cannot ride bikes, go golfing, go hiking, etc. with the aids - they quit very soon after getting outside. I don't need to do anything strenuous, just let the sun beat down on me.

I am very active with water sports, so those activities are out of the question. Been to the beach a few times since, I won't take them onto the beach as I'm afraid of sand causing more issues. I enjoy snow skiing but I'm afraid to wear the aids on the slopes. They will fall out during a hard fall. The hearing aids work great, when they work. To ensure they continue to work it seems that a sedentary lifestyle in a cool environment is a requirement. If you're active and like to play outside, it becomes a major problem.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Steve, thank you for your review. We understand your frustration with the bluetooth connectivity and your iphone. However, we are excited to announce a new hearing aid update that can be done automatically through the accompanying app that will resolve those issues moving forward. Please message us back if you need any assistance in locating the BEYOND app in or the update for your hearing aids.

Original review: June 5, 2017

The new Widex Beyond model hearing aids were widely hyped as being top of the line for iPhone hearing aids. I found them comfortable, with fine sound quality and battery life of about a week. That though is where the cheering stopped. The two stars is the result of no stars for connectivity and reliability of both iPhone connectivity and connectivity even between the headsets. Simply bad!

Tried two units and the second was worst than the first. Imagine having dinner in a restaurant and having to remove both aids, opening the battery door and then going to your iPhone, and having to tell it to forget device and then repair. Then imagine doing it 5 more times during the meal. Then have one ear telling you it can't find other aid but it's the one that is not connected. Then being told you can't use it with wifi assisted calling. Then have it automatically switch modes. Imagine all these problems while the right ear rarely stays connected to Bluetooth more than a minute.

AND BEAR IN MIND THAT THIS IS HOW THE SECOND PAIR PERFORMED while you work with the audiologist for 3 weeks to get a solution. AND you give up after providing documentation of the failures. And the clinic wants you to pay $300 fee for their time in running through 3 weeks of nonstop failures and troubleshooting. Stunningly bad performance all around.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My left ear is not that bad but I can’t hear out of my right ear that good and my wife made me decide to get a hearing aid. I used what my doctor prescribed for me. We talked about getting the one behind my ear, but I didn’t want it at that time. So, it was my choice not to get the one behind the ear. I got the in-the-ear Widex hearing aid. It fits inside my ear and it's what I could afford to keep. After I got the hearing aids in, it’s like night and day. The only problem is when I’m in a bowling alley, I can’t hear what people are actually saying because there's like little cricket sounds in it. Also, the batteries in them don’t last long but the price was all right and at least I can hear. It’s a lot better than nothing. I’m not used to having hearing aids in my ear, but after I wore it for a few times, it was all right.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Ellen, than you for your review. We understand your frustration with the bluetooth connectivity and your iWatch. We are excited to announce a new hearing aid update that can be done automatically through the accompanying app that will resolve those issues moving forward. Please message us back if you need any assistance in locating the BEYOND app in or the update for your hearing aids.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I purchased these hearing aids because after hearing it for many years, I wanted to try the new technology -- especially Bluetooth enabled. Well the sound on these hearing aids pretty good compared to my old hearing aids, I have had a lot of problems with the Bluetooth. The hearing aids lose connection to the Bluetooth constantly so I'm always having to fiddle with them to reestablish the connection.

The iWatch app but it's supposed to be compatible doesn't work well -- it off and states of the hearing aids are not connected when in fact they are. You can't use Bluetooth and up with your car phone because the car Bluetooth and the hearing aid Bluetooth are incompatible. The manufacturer says that an update will come in a couple of weeks at which point the connectivity issues might be fixed. However for $6600 I expect them to work as designed 90% of the time not 60%. Basically while these hearing Aids are good for sound, they've also been a disappointment in many areas.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Widex USA Hearing Technology?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had another hearing aid but I used to take them in constantly to have them repaired. My doctor suggested Widex and I like it much better. I’ve had them for over a year and I haven't taken them in once. I have the in the ear model as I never wanted it behind the ear. I’d had a loaner pair where they were around the ear and one of them fell off and I couldn’t find that for a month.

I like that the clarity of my hearing aids is very good especially in the different types of modes I can put it in. The only problem I’ve had with it is that the device that I use to filter through my telephone sucks. It makes the people sound tinny and I got to listen harder. It’s also got too many pieces to have in my hand and pocket to operate it. The other device on the other system was far better than this one. Also, my insurance company was paying for it, but I’m no longer working and now I’m am going to be concerned about the price. I don’t have $7,000 to pay for a hearing aid. Nonetheless, my Widex hearing aids have been Godsend. It’s been a fantastic help to me and I like it tremendously. I am able to better maneuver my hearing and I am more attentive.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Joyce, we are sorry to hear of the complications with your hearing aid and we are glad to help repair it to full functionality. We will send you an email with more details and help to coordinate a nearby hearing professional that will ensure you are getting the true benefit from the device.

Todd

Original review: May 17, 2017

I had a real old hearing aid. The volumes in it could not be adjusted and my hearing was decreasing. So I had to go with something else and I decided to try one from Widex Hearing Aids. When I first got it, I always had to get it re-adjusted. Then there were little switches in the back that I could turn if I wanted to hear stuff in the back of my ear or listen to music. Also, I like its size and the fit and the feel of it more so where I could barely see it as opposed to the older model hearing aid. For me, that was a plus because I hate looking and seeing this thing in my ear. But it is what it is.

I was satisfied with the hearing aid when I got it until it had the little issues. I have it for a little over a year and it does not work anymore. I've had it repaired several times and it was the little transmitter that stopped working. I didn't get it repaired anymore because when I called the office to speak to somebody, it was a recording on and I never got a call back. Then, I got kind of busy. But I have an old hearing aid that I put back in my ear. It's helping though it's not the best. The expense of these hearing aids are crazy and the insurance at least helps now. But for me it's not enough. And at this point, I'm not sure if my Widex hearing aid is out of warranty or not.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Jody, we are sorry to hear of your unfavorable experience with the hearing aid fitting, causing the feedback issues. Most often, this is due to the fit of the earmold and not the hearing aid technology. Could we work with you to have new ear molds made at no cost to eliminate or significantly reduce the feedback problems so you can fully enjoy the benefits of improved hearing with the devices? Todd

Original review: May 15, 2017

I was using Oticon and when I got rid of those hearing aids and went to the local audiologist, they said that Widex is the strongest and the best quality to have nowadays. So, I went with his recommendation and got them. They are strong but the sound quality is very messed up and terrible. I get a lot of feedback. It's not adjusted properly. I was sitting on one part of the couch and my husband was on the other part. And when he was talking, his voice was creating so much feedback due to the hearing aids. I felt like it's almost useless.

The wire over the hearing aid is causing some issues as well. My hair is pretty long and the wire keeps getting caught in them. Also, the speaker's in the mold that goes inside my ear and I feel like it's almost too big. It's like a Chicklet caught in my ear. It's very uncomfortable, but it’s okay. It's also bulky outside of my ear. It sticks out of my ear and it's very uncomfortable as well. It's different than the hearing aids I had before and it's not a good fit for me. Also, since the hearing aids are so strong, the batteries don't last that long. I have to change them weekly. They never told me that. Unlike the hearing aid I had before, I could tweak three weeks out of it with one battery. But with Widex, I could tell that my batteries are gonna die soon when I hear, "Beep, beep, beep." It's so annoying and I hate it.

Oticon, on the other hand, was a good fit and because I had that for ten years, I got used to it. My brain was somewhat trained to match that brand and style. Its battery quality lasted longer, too. It was a tube that went around my ear and not a wire so it didn't rip my hair out. Then, the mold inside my ear was flat against my ear. It didn't stick out and protrude. But, in terms of the sound quality, Widex is better.

However, I've had the Widex hearing aids for two years and they already broke two times. One day, they just stopped working and it went silent. It didn't start a beep and didn't inform me the sound level is changing. And so, I changed the battery to make sure it wasn't the problem and put it back in, nothing happened. Finally, when I had time to take them back to the audiologist, I found out that the wire was disconnected. I replaced the wire on it and everything was back to normal for five months. Then, my right ear had the same problem. I was wearing it, it worked fine, and I had a good battery. It didn't make any beeps and so I assumed that it was the other wire issue. All in all, I'm disappointed with Widex.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi John, we are happy to hear of your hearing and lifestyle improvement with Widex hearing aids. If interested, we could supply for you some ear wax guards and tools to clean as to prevent any potential issues to the devices. Please let us know if interested and we can send those to your hearing professional to deliver.

Todd

Original review: May 14, 2017

I went to a hearing specialist examination and the in-the-ear model worked good. Once I got it set, I'm all right. I got narrow passages in my ear but it felt comfortable. Widex Hearing Aids work good but my main problem is keeping it clean because there's wax in my ear. Also, it's too expensive. Other than that, it is all right. It made my life about 50 percent better.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Linda, thank you for your review and your complications are actually very common. For this reason we recommend our telephone compatibility or streaming options. Additionally, there are aural rehabilitation services available that help to improve hearing comprehension by retraining the brain to better understand sounds and syllables that may have long gone unheard. Please reply if we can be of any assistance in those area to help you get the full benefit from your hearing aids. Thank you, Todd

Original review: May 13, 2017

Sometimes when wearing my hearing aids, I still feel like my hearing is clouded. I still avoid answering the telephone since I have to struggle to hear them even with my hearing aids in. Worth $7000 - not in my experience.

I have been using these for about two and a half years, and am extremely pleased with their performance. The very first thing I noticed upon walking outside from the audiologist building were all of the birds tweeting and singing, that I hadn't heard much of in the last several decades! I wear them all the time, and fully appreciate and enjoy the sounds and conversations that I had been missing; they really make me happy. The only time I remove them during the day is when using hearing protection for lawn mowing and workshop tool use. But I had one fail about a year ago, when the 'speaker' quit working. The audiologist fixed it, and it was fine. But it just failed again yesterday, and their shop is closed today. Not sure if I can bring it to another without having to pay, but will check. Is this a common failure mode?

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Saudhi, we are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience in treating your tinnitus with our hearing aids. We do want to make you aware of our complementing tinnitus therapy treatment app and programs that could help provide the relief you are seeking. We will reach out very soon to gather more information to best provide the additional tinnitus care.

Todd

Original review: May 3, 2017

I got hearing aids prescribed mainly for tinnitus. The doctor has the hearing lab and I got it from there. Widex Hearing Aids were what I was told by the tech. I was not given any choices because they said it was what's available. They were $4,000 not covered by insurance so, that was not pleasant and I was very upset. This is my first and only pair and allegedly, it was going to take away the problem but it didn't. It minimized it but it didn't take it away. When people have hearing aids and they put them on, like my husband, it magnifies the sound and they hear better but it's not the case with me. Also, it's sometimes as bad as it ever was. If I had to do it all over again, I would not spend that kind of money. We're retired with fixed income and that was an economic hardship.

I've been using hearing aids and Widex (Clear) for 6 years and love them. They've been very dependable over the years but sometimes my left one seems to trail the right one in adjusting to room environments. Very happy with them overall. I'm excited to see the Com Dex product but tentative to try. Cell phone use is sometimes a challenge. My audiologist is strongly pushing me to purchase Beyond as my model is no longer being supported (according to them) suggesting parts will not be available. I wish there was a loyalty trade in program, because my audiologist charged me $7K for the last pair - which is stopping me from upgrading. I wish they had map pricing because being held hostage by audiologist pricing when online is thousands cheaper is frustrating. Widex is a solid product - my wife thanks you.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My hearing doctor recommended Widex Hearing Aids. I chose the behind-the-ear model. I like the Bluetooth which is an advantage. Now I could speak into my ears. This is what really sold me on them. However, with the Bluetooth, I get a little interference here and there. Also, Widex is pricey. I have a few friends who would like to do it. But, when they heard the price, they said, "Oh. Not me." Other than that, the options that they offer on the setup were very good. Plus the hearing aids are easier to maintain than the old ones I had, with the wax buildup. On the whole, it's very good and I have recommended Widex.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Mary, we're sorry to hear of your lost hearing aids. We will reach out in the coming days about any potential replacement coverage or options.

Todd

Original review: April 23, 2017

The hearing aids I got from Widex is in the back of my ear and then the wire goes into my ear. The quality is good and the price is reasonable. But, I couldn't get them loud enough and I miss the tones. Also, they lost them in the CAT scan out in the medical center and I still don't have them back. So, I'm not happy right now that I don't have it in my possession.

My father used over-the-counter hearing aids before and they didn’t work very well so he didn’t use them very long. He liked Widex because of its size and they were not obvious. It took him a little while to get used to putting it in but it's not uncomfortable. He has been having a problem with the left one on a constant basis. He had it replaced but it is not reliable. He gets feedback when he's in the car and that didn’t happen previously. What’s good is that he can still open and change his own battery which is very simplistic, it’s made in a way that it's good for an elderly but when it comes to the cleaning part that is where I have to step in. As far as the tools itself he doesn't have the dexterity to put the tool in, pull it out and then insert it and make a little twist. But he has become more responsive to questions and at ease in his interactions as far as being social.

I had a previous Widex hearing aid that was a little small, but they were phasing them out. They're plastic hearing aids that crumbles into little pieces. I took it to my professional and she contacted Widex. They said they're not making that size anymore. She gets to upgrade to the newest technology and we'll have it repaired for free. I like the in-ear hearing aid model better than the behind-the-ear because if I wear glasses, the behind-the-ear does not work very well. I like the clarity and amplification of my in-ear hearing aid. But I also like the idea of being able to take it out, myself, as opposed to having to go to my doctor when the batteries go bad. But other than that, I love it. But I wish they made one with the power of the one that I have now that's larger in the ear. But if it were smaller that would be really sweet.

Widex is great and durable. But the price is high enough and it doesn't need to be any more expensive. As a matter of fact I have one and not two, and the doctor who placed it was awesome. Because I couldn't afford two at that time, she did where the one hearing aid could function like two, and it's working well, so we just work with the one. I'm happy with the product, I had a good experience, and I would recommend it.

Five years ago, I went to an audiologist who dealt mostly with Widex Hearing Aids. I then tried out and look at various models and styles, and I ended up using in the ear hearing aids because it's simple. It's just one piece rather than two and the batteries are right in the thing instead of having a separate battery that sits behind the ear. I like that it works and gives me a better hearing. Its price was also reasonable.

The only thing is there's a little plastic, which they call the extraction cord, and after three years, one of them broke off. I was always very careful with these. I didn't bend them back and forth. As far as I can tell it's made of fishing line, and it was like a 50 pound test. I was discouraged that if I had sent it back to the Widex firm they wouldn't simply replace it. They would require a full refurbishing, and the total would have come to $600. So for that, I found another firm that would replace the cord on that particular one aid for much lesser money. I really didn't understand why Widex wouldn't just do a simple repair without insisting that full refurbishing is done at the same time. I've written them a letter which was polite but it was clear so they'd know,

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The hearing specialist I went to recommended Widex and I chose the Behind-the-Ear model because it was small and discreet. It is a good product. The sound is crystal clear and I'm able to pick up on the low frequencies that I wouldn’t normally hear at the time. I didn't know I had an issue with low frequencies until I took a hearing test. All in all, my experience has been great and I would recommend Widex.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Bernard, we are delighted to learn that your hearing aids are helping you gain better hearing in your life. Thank you, Todd

Original review: April 6, 2017

When I was in college over 50 years ago, a doctor told me I had lost some of my high frequency hearing. Several years ago, a friend who is also an audiologist suggested I get my hearing tested. She also fitted me with the Widex hearing aids I currently use. The amplitude difference is noticeable especially when I'm listening to television without the aids and I do not have problems asking to have people repeat what they said. Perhaps my hearing problem is genetic since I have several cousins with hearing problems. What I like about the hearing aids is that they can be adjusted if ever I need additional volume.

I got my first hearing aids of this brand a few years back. I'm now in the market to buy again but I'm disappointed Widex has removed M-DEX. I work in an office where cellphones are banned so I'm very disappointment Widex depends on cellphones now for clients to adjust sounds and services.

Deeply appreciate how robust aids are, i.e. wires attaching and hearing compartment itself endure all handling. Once I became comfortable w/ insertion and removal both became second nature. Like ease of handling and changing batteries also. Like ease of altering acuity during my daily activities. Challenging though is learning 'necklace' utilization.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Overall I am satisfied with the product. I especially appreciate the remote control which allows me to shut them off when driving alone. Without the remote I probably would not have kept them. I have high-pitch hearing loss so I am somewhat disappointed that the hearing aides do not clarify the words that I misunderstood without them because I don't hear the consonants. I would think that with today's technology you would have been able to pull in the range of sound I cannot normally hear and almost completely eliminate my problem.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Dennis, we are sorry to hear about repair issue and we are glad to extend a courtesy repair or replacement of that hearing aid. Please contact us at correspondence@widexusa.com for more details so we can initiate that process.

Todd

Original review: April 3, 2017

Purchased hearing aids in 12/13 from Atlantic Audiology. They worked for about one year. The right one failed. Atlantic fixed it once. It worked for two weeks. When you pay $4000 you think they would last. Stopped wearing them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My Widex hearing aids is the Behind-The-Ear style and because my hearing wasn't so severe, I have a piece that gets fitted in the ear. The audiologist asked for something specific and Widex made me this big huge thing that covers the whole inside of my ear which I would never wear. The piece that I got from them just wouldn't stay in and it never seemed to work right. I kept getting too much feedback with it and it got to a point where I couldn't hear anything. The only other option was to have Starkey make the insert for the ear. They made a small one that went in the canal and so far, it seems to be working. I've had Starkey hearing aid for years and this is my first pair of Widex. The fitting of the ear thing itself and the piece that goes around the back was a lot better in Starkey. But as far as the clarity goes, Widex is better for me. I would recommend them.

I have worn Widex Hearing Aids for maybe twelve years now. I loved my previous two sets. However, this set has not been as good. Not sure why. We have returned them several times for adjustments, replacement, and whatever else. At times I feel like these hearing aids are awesome (I had them on the music setting when I was at Fenway Park watching James Taylor in concert - TREMENDOUS!!!). But other times - like when I am in my classroom, or in the kitchen, I have a hard time hearing the person speaking with me. There may be background noise, there may not be.

The telephone program is also fickle. Sometimes I have no issues, other times I can't understand the person at the other end of the phone. All in all, I am not too excited about these hearing aids. I have gone back to my audiologist several times. Since the new audiologist arrived and the person I was working with for the last 15-20 years retired, it hasn't been the same. I hope this helps.

Widex Hearing Aids

Thank you for your feedback Elsie! We're glad to learn you are enjoying your hearing aid experience.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have been a satisfied wearer of Widex hearing aids for several years. (Model D2FSWS). I have recommended them to several friends. I purchased them from A-1 Hearing in San Diego, CA (La Jolla office).

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Marybeth, thank you for sharing your connectivity issue and we're sorry to hear of the inconvenience. Oftentimes this is an easy fix to adjust pairing settings so we would love to help in troubleshooting that problem. We it be OK for us to reach out to you on Monday (tomorrow) to get more information and, if so, would you prefer to be contacted by email or phone call? Thank you, Todd

Original review: March 29, 2017

The left hearing aid doesn't seem to stay connected and the battery life is very low. My audiologist sent one pair back and received another, but same issue. Seemed to work for only a week and then loses connectivity. Any help appreciated. I love them otherwise.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend gave me her Widex hearing aids as a gift. She no longer used them and her hearing had gotten worse so she had to go to another level. Then I went to a hearing professional and she explained everything to me. She was very professional in showing me how to use them, what I needed and gave me a printout of everything. I got the one that's placed behind the ear and the other part goes inside. I'm still getting used to them and I don't keep them in all the time. But when I use them when I go out, it helps quite a bit. I'm not saying, "huh" or "I beg your pardon" as much. I would recommend them to anyone that needs hearing aids.

Widex Hearing Aids

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience as of late. We aim to provide timely support for our partnering hearing practices and their patients. We would be happy to help try to remedy your problem and/ or coordinate with your preferred Audiologist to facilitate that process. Could you please email us at correspondence@widexusa.com with your preferred contact information as to begin? Thank you, Todd

Original review: March 20, 2017

As a hearing aid wearer for nearly 48 years I am experienced with them. Whereas Widex has some strong, powerful hearing aids they tend to breakdown more frequently. Which leads to the second largest issue I have with them - their customer service is less than desirable. Widex is not timely in responses nor are they flexible in working with audiologist or patients. My audiologist in California struggled to work with Widex to help customize my earmolds. Widex only offered (at the time) very hard plastic earmolds which caused me ear aches. When approached to make flexible softer molds, Widex refused. This refusal then made my $15,000 pair of aids non-usable.

After months of back and forth Widex finally made the earmolds. Now the receiver inside the earmold is broken and they are charging me $250 in repairs per earmold to replace the receiver. I replaced one in October 2016 and it broke again by March 2017. Then the other ear's receiver broke and it also needed to be replaced - costing another $250. When I work Oticon aids I rarely had issues with them in the 25 plus years that I wore the brand. My audiologist in California severed her relationship with Widex due to poor customer service and now that I have moved to Oregon I could only find ONE person willing to work with Widex due to a poor customer service reputation. Widex appears not to really care about its consumers and their individualized needs.

Widex Hearing Aids Company Profile