2.77/5

Need a good hearing aid?

Need a good hearing aid?

31 MDHearingAid Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 26, 2019

I have worn the MD Air aids for more than 5 years and only needed them to be repaired once. Still have them. However, I decided to purchase the Life Core expensive ones a year ago. After six months, the left aid kept intermittently squealing/beeping. Since it was under warranty, I sent it back for repair for cost of shipping and it came back to me in the same condition. I complained to customer service to no satisfaction and returned it again for service at my cost of shipping. It was returned to me saying they found no problem with it. Yet, it still has the same squealing... to the point of others complaining about the noise.

I found I have to lower the volume at least the steps lower than the right aid and to the point that I can barely hear anything. I called customer service again and received the same nonsense that I could send it back but they would probably find nothing wrong. Now I'm not sure I want to waste the postage plus insurance again and get back the same defected aid. Customer service should take into account that I am a long time customer and would appreciate a replacement aid instead of just returning the defective one. Frankly, I used to recommend MDHearing to those who could benefit from aids, but not anymore. My recommendation now is to STAY AWAY FROM MDHEARING. They obviously don't care about keeping long time customers. PS... Their FAQ page claims the aids work without the phone app. Not quite true. Only the program can be changed... not the volume.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Purchased 2 sets - 1 for me 1 for my husband. I'm dying of lung cancer and my husband has dementia. My daughter and I decided to return his because he forgets where he put it. Called in and got all the information from Scott about the RMA # and I had my daughter put it on the box. We put the newspaper around the orange case so it was secure, paid for $500 insurance. Total cost was $18 to ship. Scott calls July 25, 2019 to tell us that the box was empty. I explained it was very light but the product was in there. He just kept saying it was empty and to call him tomorrow if I find it. Really I would send a box for that amount of money empty. Now we will return the other and I will make sure all my friends do go there. I actually was spreading the news to all my church friends. Poor customer service, especially for a older person.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2019

When my left ear Costco hearing aid quit, I bought the core for a replacement, My primary decision was based on my ability to finance them. 799 for 1 1599 for two. I cannot be sure that this model, priced the same the Costco hearing aids is as good a value. The Costco hearing aids are smaller, have more features, can be fine tuned better, offer a rechargeable options and have the receiver in the ear, all hallmarks of a quality hearing aid. That said I hear very well and while this can only be tuned on three general frequencies, I love the self service fine tuning feature. At this price, they should have a receiver in the ear. This is not my first dance with hearing aids, having worn them for 15 years.

Where I slam this company is the replacement buds for the ear. I would be surprised if they cost more than a buck to manufacture, yet MDhearingAid is charging 16.99 each, a huge rip off. I did not realize at the time just how much they rip you off on these or I would have never bought. They will not get return business from me. So, a so-so value for the aid.

Original review: May 13, 2019

One of the reasons that I chose MD Core Hearing Aides is that they came with software which supposedly enables one to "personalize" the aides and also to change volume, configuration etc. easily. The problem is that the software only works occasionally. It relies on a blue tooth connection and more often than not it loses the connection and then despite various trouble shooting techniques suggested by MD support agents, they won't connect. When I have complained to MD support agents, they explain that the problem might be my phone, which doesn't make sense because during the first few months of using the aides with the phone the blue tooth connection, though often slow worked. And then it worked intermittently. And now it doesn't work. And they say there could be so many different reason for the problem that they cannot recommend a fix. The fix presumably would be to improve the Lifear Software.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I guess they keep this dirty little secret to themselves. NOWHERE do they mention that the soft tips need to be frequently replaced. After two weeks use they split and fall apart. Replacements for both ears will cost you over $31. After about 6 weeks they will notify you it is time to replace your soft tips. You CANNOT purchase these tips as a stand alone item but they only offer them as an assembly with their tubing. I find their customer service sucks and SLOW to respond to any question and/or difficulties. Brillo in TEXAS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MDHearingAid?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I was just about to spend $3000 on a widely advertised (and locally sold) hearing aid, when my wife and I came across an ad from MDHearingAid. I decided to try the Air model and could not be happier! I purchased them in July, and have only used half of my 1-year supply of batteries. I find that the tubing works best when replaced every 3 months when cleaned with the wire tool they provide. The additional cost works out to $11 per month for the tubing (for one ear). A significant saving, compared to the widely advertised brands. I heartily recommend trying out the Air model before trying the next upgrade.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I purchased my MDHearingAids 2 years ago. I got the inexpensive pro hearing aids. I did not like the warranty they had, but I try them anyhow. After a couple weeks of using them I decided It was a good purchase. After a year and a half one quit working due to my neglect. I called them about making repairs. They told me to send it back and for $50 they would repair it or replace it. The turn around time was about 3 days and they replaced it with a new one. Last week I broke the other one. Same deal $50. They replaced it with a brand new and the turnaround time was about 3 days. Couldn't ask for better service than that. My battery last about 2 weeks. Love him!

Original review: June 10, 2018

At first I wasn't totally happy with the product but since then I have had a pleasant surprise. I have been very happy with them. My hearing is not that bad. It just happens to be certain pitches. They haven't cured my problem but it has gotten better.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I received the LUX aids quickly with a years supply of batteries. I find the batteries last 2 weeks. I used the 4th program in a noisy restaurant and they made it much easier to converse. I previously used the AIR aids, and while good, these are really worth the upgrade. I got the upgrade because I had worn them into the shower! I had been happy with them for years, so went back to replace them and upgraded instead.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I received my hearing aid 3 weeks ago, they are very easy to adapt to, after two days I did not even realize they were there. My wife really loves them. She no longer has to wear earplugs when I'm watching TV. I do have a slight problem keeping them in my ear because not only do I wear glasses but oxygen too. They said they sent me a year's worth of batteries, but I have to change them every 5 days and I don't think these will last a year. I am going to try different ear pieces to see if I can get them to stay in my ear better, but other than that they are GREAT!!

MDHearingAid expert review by Shelley Webb

MDHearingAid is a discount hearing aid provider, specializing in basic hearing aids for the budget-conscious consumer. Founded by an ear, nose and throat doctor, Sreekant Cherukuri, in Chicago, MDHearingAid seeks to create the highest-quality hearing aid at the lowest possible price. The MDHearingAid line amplifies sounds associated with the human voice and decreases sounds associated with noise.

• Value: Most top-of-the-line hearing aids from major manufacturers will cost about $4000 per pair, but MDHearingAids are advertised between 82 and 91 percent less than the cost of comparable hearing aids from major brands.

• Options: Most hearing aid companies today only manufacture digital programmable aids, which provide great sound and the latest technology but are too expensive for the average consumer. MDHearingAids is one of the only companies that still offers analog-style hearing aids, which means you can purchase a complete set for less than $200. They also offer digital and rechargeable digital hearing aids.

• Monthly financing available: If you prefer to purchase your hearing aids through installments, MDHearingAid offers a zero percent APR financing option to select customers. Your payments may be anywhere from $17 to $46 a month.

• Online shopping: Most hearing aid providers require customers to undergo a complete hearing evaluation and hearing aid fitting prior to purchase. You can purchase your MDHearingAids online and have them shipped to your home with no appointments or evaluations required. Because they are made with a one-size-fits-all in-the-canal receiver, you can wear them right out of the package.

• Satisfaction guaranteed: MDHearingAids guarantees your satisfaction. You can try the hearing aids for 45 days, and if you are not completely satisfied, you can return them for a complete refund of your purchase price.

• Best for: aging listeners and people with acquired or progressive hearing loss who want to purchase discount hearing aids online.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
      Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

MDHearingAid Company Information