2.87/5
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a good hearing aid?

23 MDHearingAid Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 10, 2018

At first I wasn't totally happy with the product but since then I have had a pleasant surprise. I have been very happy with them. My hearing is not that bad. It just happens to be certain pitches. They haven't cured my problem but it has gotten better.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I received the LUX aids quickly with a years supply of batteries. I find the batteries last 2 weeks. I used the 4th program in a noisy restaurant and they made it much easier to converse. I previously used the AIR aids, and while good, these are really worth the upgrade. I got the upgrade because I had worn them into the shower! I had been happy with them for years, so went back to replace them and upgraded instead.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I received my hearing aid 3 weeks ago, they are very easy to adapt to, after two days I did not even realize they were there. My wife really loves them. She no longer has to wear earplugs when I'm watching TV. I do have a slight problem keeping them in my ear because not only do I wear glasses but oxygen too. They said they sent me a year's worth of batteries, but I have to change them every 5 days and I don't think these will last a year. I am going to try different ear pieces to see if I can get them to stay in my ear better, but other than that they are GREAT!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

When I received the hearing aids I immediately tried them. The right worked so wonderfully. The left had a high pitched tone that was very uncomfortable. I phoned customer care and they told me to change out the tube to the larger tube. I did that and the high pitched tone continued. So it is my feeling that from the get go that the left aid had something wrong with it.

I waited the correct amount of trial time and then sent an e-mail asking if I could just return the left aid. No response from them. I sent another e-mail to them and got no response. I then went to their website and gave the same information that I sent in the e-mail with a little added information. That if I did not hear from them in two days that I would file a claim with my credit card company. Well within an hour I received a response in my e-mail box saying that I had to phone them to receive my RMA. So I did and I returned them both. This is unfortunate that they made me angry so that I did not want any of their products, even though one worked well. Hopefully if you order the aids they will both work as well as my right one did.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I have had these for 3 months now. Have never worn hearing aids before. So far these work great. I don't know that I'm wearing them. Did not get my one year batteries. Notified MD. Within a week received the rest of my batteries and a set of earbuds to try. My wife loves that I bought them. I had trouble understanding what people were saying when watching TV. So far these aids are great. Would recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MDHearingAid?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I have been using the air model for at least 2 years. I have 2 used Siemens and another used name brand. The MD works the best. I hear what you are saying about background noise. The earplugs they use now work great. I have had 2 friends that I recommended the MDHA to and they are also very pleased. I was thinking of upgrading to the newer model.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I ordered and paid for left and right Volt hearing Aids from MD Hearing Aid about 1 year ago. The Volt model was a rechargeable model which worked very well for me, since all that was required was to recharge it at night while sleeping, and it was easy to set and adjust to my hearing disability. MD hearing company sent me a notice that the Volt rechargeable model had a recall for all rechargeable models because of a danger of those models catching fire while re-charging and advised me to return and they would replace it with a better more advanced model, the (LUX) which would require batteries, and I would never need to purchase batteries for it because I would be granted lifetime battery replacement for them by MD Hearing Aid.

I was very happy with the Volt rechargeable model and did not send it back for the Lux replacement right away, but they kept insisting that I send it back because of dangers it might cause by catching fire while charging, so I finally decided to send it back for what they claimed to be a better and superior model called the Lux. Well I greatly regret sending back The rechargeable model the (Volt) because it is very hard to adjust the volume, eats batteries like Pac-Man and the batteries fit very loosely in the battery door and are very easy to lose when opening the battery door when removing from the ear. Also they whistle extremely loud when your head gets near anything, practically all day long.

I have called the company several times asking for help and for renewal batteries, and have been told the box of batteries they sent when I first received the hearing aids should last for at least a year. I tried to explain to the agent I spoke with that the batteries only last for 1 day and each day I have to replace them with two more every day of use.

The agent scolded to me for shouting and threatened to end the call, which I didn't believe I was doing, but I was trying to be honest and explaining the truth. Then he told me I would have to find the two coupons that were originally included in the box with the hearing aids to receive more batteries which I never received in the original box they were shipped in. Then he promised to send me 24 batteries and I should find the coupons which I tried to explain they were never sent. I do not recommend MD Hearing Aid to anyone for any hearing impairment, save your money and find a reliable hearing aid company that is reliable and honest.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I have had my MDHearingAids for 4 years now. I bought two of the digital-air aids and could not be happier. My hearing loss, while somewhat minor compared to people with severe problems, was such that I could not hear nighttime insects at all and constantly asked people to repeat things, many times two, three times or even more. My hearing loss was affecting my job. No way could I afford the expensive ones sold by the local hearing hucksters. I didn't even want to spend the comparatively small amount for what the company called actual hearing aids, thinking they wouldn't be any good for such a low price. But they had a good return policy so I took the chance.

When I 1st put them in I was amazed at how natural the sound was; not at all electronic at all! Took me a couple of weeks of trial and error using the different size and shape earbuds they provided, but finally settled on my earbuds and the level to set the volume and the best setting for my work environment. I wear them every day from when I wake to when I go to bed. My wife was declared deaf in one ear due to an operation for a brain tumor; told she would never hear in that ear again. With her MDH digital aid she actually can hear... Not perfectly, but the aid is a big help.

I recommended them to a friend. His wife said I saved their marriage! My sister has one as well. Everyone I personally know with the expensive variety doesn't seem all that happy and only wear them occasionally. I feel I could give the company some instruction on giving their customers better instructions for use and care, but I can only say for the price I can live with any small or petty issues. If it was not for this company I would not (could not) have hearing aids because the cost from the locals is out of my league.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I purchased the low end hearing aids knowing it was a gamble. I returned them after five weeks expecting the full refund as advertised. I received a 80% refund of the purchase price due to, as I found out later, not having a RMA #. Called customer service to straighten out the problem as there is no mention of a RMA # in the ad and how would anyone know about one. Person named Raymond informed me that the RMA issue was on the back of page two of the return policy sent with the aids. I find it very unfair, and deceptive to expect customers to scour the return policy in search of possible loopholes to the return policy in the printed ads. I explained to Raymond how sneaky I found their policy for returns, he said that they lost money on returns and keeping the 20%, however shady, helped defer losses. Basically, better than the customer lose money than the company.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Due to my very peculiar hearing problem I had to return the hearing aid to MDHearingAid, but my experience with them has been very pleasant, thus the 4 stars. Turns out that "one size fits all" doesn't work very well from me, so reluctantly I'll have to spend a small fortune on a customized aid. The quality and design are superb - far superior to the various PSAs sold for not much less. Returning the hearing aid was simple and fast, the customer service rep was very professional, and my PayPal account was credited immediately for the full amount. No restocking fee here.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I received a flyer on MD Hearing Aid and was seriously considering purchasing two sets for both myself and my mom. Mom has had one from Costco which cost almost $2K and I am beginning to have some hearing issues myself. The flyer gives such glowing remarks about this aid. After reading some of the reviews, I definitely see that YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I was trying to save some money but I see that it is best not to go cheap because you won't be satisfied.

I'm wondering about some of these 5* reviews, are they really "verified buyers" or it could be that the aid did work for them. The WORST of all that made me decide not to buy is the bad CUSTOMER SERVICE, NOT HONORING RETURN POLICY and STALL TACTIC by offering to send extra tubing, etc. You'd think that a company would be responsive to so many negative reviews having to do with their CUSTOMER SERVICE which should be an easy fix. But this also tells me that the company itself trains its employees to perform just as they are; i.e., negatively which means the company puts profit ahead of customer satisfaction.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I ordered one Pro model on July 5, 2017. After receipt, I used the hearing aid in my left ear for 3 weeks. With the volume set at 1.5 or higher, the feedback was intolerable. On July 31, 2017, I sent the following request in accordance with their Return Policy: "I used the Hearing Aid for the last three weeks. At a volume level of 1.5 the feedback was terrible. I would like a RMA and instructions for return. Thanks."

Their response was a "stall tactic" and read as follows: "Thank you for contacting MDHearingAid Product Support. Your satisfaction is guaranteed, and you may return your hearing aids, but before we get to that part, we would like to suggest trying the traditional tubing for more gain. The wider tubing will allow more sound to enter the ear canal without the annoying feedback you are experiencing now. If you have a hearing test, you may email it to us or fax it so that our Audiologist and Physician can review it and help you with your specific situation.

Many issues often have a relatively simple solution that can help you get the most out of your MDHearingAids and save hundreds or thousands of dollars compared to traditional hearing aids. The more information we have, the better able we will be to investigate this issue and provide the product support necessary for you to get the best result from your hearing aid. If we cannot help your particular situation, we will provide further return instructions. Please contact us here if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you again for your business; we greatly appreciate it. Have a great day! Mary. MDHearingAid Product Support". I have again requested a RMA as follows: "I tried the traditional tubing but was not satisfied with it either. Please provide me with the RMA and instructions for return. I am no satisfied with this product." Their Return Policy appears to be deceptive.

Original review: April 11, 2017

On April 10th, I contacted this company to order a new hearing aid. I had previously had one which had been lost. It performed well for me. I chose to order a battery unit rather than my original rechargeable model. The agent noted that I was an existing customer and said that she would get a 15% discount on the new unit since I was a loyal returning customer. Since I was having connection tubing sent each quarter for the old unit, she said that I would be contacted that afternoon to switch the tubing replacements to the new model (which was different). She was very nice and seemed thorough. Then I received the email acknowledgement with no discount; and through almost 5:00 PM the following day, no one ever contacted me about the tubing switch.

This is no type of customer service when spending hundreds of dollars on something. I even sent an email to customer service questioning why I never got the discount (my AMEX was charged within an hour of my order) and why no one had called. In this era of texts, cell phones, emails and computer efficiencies using the old "24 hour" excuse is sadly out of date. They charged my card and shipped the new hearing aid before the day was over but failed to contact me as promised, failed to initiate the discount and failed to answer my questioning email to customer service. They have their priorities backward!!!

I called the next day, the 11th, and after arguing with a different agent they finally issued a credit and answered my email about the tubing switch. To the agent's credit, she did call me back to confirm that the credit was issued. People should not have to call to follow up with a manufacturer. It's the other way around. MDHearingAid states that their units can be returned for any reason within so many days. After this experience, I seriously doubt that it would be as smooth as they state.

Original review: March 13, 2017

When one cannot afford the $3-4K price of the major brands I have found the MDHearingAid I bought about 15 months ago deliver adequate hearing support under most conditions. Like some other reviews I have found that they do not work as well in noisy surroundings even with the 3rd stage filter selected. I also have found that the telephone connection does not work well with my iPhone. It is better to just use the iPhone ear pods without the hearing aids. They have helped my moderate hearing loss in most conditions. I have also found the service to be quite responsive. They immediately without resistance replaced two hearing aids after about 6 months of use when it they seemed to not work correctly.

The other common issue is with the hearing molds. It is recommended that they be replaced relatively often and cleaned regularly, meaning about once per week. This always clears up reduction in hearing quality. They are also sturdy, surviving many drops and even a number of shower forgets. I do wish they could improve the sound quality and filtering system but one gets what is paid for. For the money and value of use I recommend trying them.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

I purchased these hearing aids about 18 months ago. They have served me very well and meet all my expectations. I have read the negative reviews on this site and believe I can accurately guess at what is causing the problems. Thus, the reason for this review. These hearing aids are very prone to blockage of the ear cones by wax or dead skin, even though it's not obvious when you look at the cone. I have had the device seem to go dead at times and replacing the battery had no effect. I then ran the cleaning rod through the tube and function was immediately restored. Also, properly setting the volume control is critical to controlling squealing. If you have it set too high, you are going to get feedback, it's that simple. Just read the manual when you get them and abide by it. The hearing aids are phenomenal for the price. I have just ordered the new comfort tips and am looking forward to receiving them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

For a few years every now and then a family member places a flyer for hearing aids someplace where it jumps in-my-face. So this morning I went to the site and looked at their products. BUT, I am of an age where I suspect EVERYONE, so I do my homework. I went to the BBB site for Chicago since the address on the company site listed Chicago as its address. Nothing found. NADA!? I then did a search on "MDHearingAid complaints" and started getting a pretty good idea of what others have endured. I like this Consumer Affairs site. I read reviews by customers and decided NOT to throw money away.

Something still did not click. Not sure what it was. I looked at the MDHearingAid site again and noticed an A+ BBB rating posted on the site which did not jive with what I had just encountered on what I will call the real BBB site. So, I clicked on the BBB logo and was taken to what appeared to be a BBB site. I started wondering what was going on, so I again entered the company info and city into the form, but this time I was given a warning about an unsecure form, so I canceled the submission.

I retired from the IT field so I know rotting fish when I smell it. It was then that I noticed on the Consumer Affairs site that Detroit was the listed address of this company. I also noticed that some medical person posted her analysis of the company as "goodie goodie". So, I am giving you my take of what I have experienced this morning and I would not throw $1100 out the window on something guaranteed for 90 days. I also did not like the wording of their warranty, "they will determine if the unit is faulty and if they are liable". I wish consumers would take just a little time to research companies and products BEFORE they throw hard earned money out a window into a 90 mile an hour wind. Go with your gut. It reacts for a reason.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

It's important to know that the reason for all the glowing 5-star reviews on the company website is that they accept nothing less. The website responds "try again later" when a reviewer attempts to submit a lesser rating; yet when an identical review with the coveted 5 stars, the site has no problem accepting it. MD Air, therefore, is dishonest from the start.

I've had the same problems as all the other reviewers giving them 1 star. The aids very simply don't work at all well. The screaming feedback verges on painful, occurs very often and unpredictably. Just touching my head or getting near another person sets it off. They fit so poorly that one mysteriously fell off my ear, never to be seen again.

MD Air doesn't honor their warranty no matter what the reason for trying to return them, as described by other reviewers. Just as I'd given up hope of ever seeing my wasted money again, I received an email: "WARNING: Your warranty is about to expire." I called to explain (again) that the aids were defective and asked for instructions for returning them. The response? "Oh, that manufacturer's warranty doesn't really mean anything. We just contacted you to see if you'd like to buy a 2-year extended warranty." I suppose they believe that any customer stupid enough to have dealt with the company is likely stupid enough to spend even more money for a manufacturer's warranty that, by their own admission, is worthless. I agree wholeheartedly with my fellow 1-star reviewers: Don't waste your money!!

Resolution response: Nov. 15, 2016

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

After two years, my right aid went out due to a disconnect between the tube and the piece that attaches to the body of the device. I sent away for both right and left repair kits - tubes and ear buds. To my amazement, I was billed over $30 for two cheap pieces of plastic, one of which didn't even fit the (right) device as it seemed to have been put together upside down. From what I have read about EpiPen and Valeant, I would have to include MD Hearing Aid as another of the vultures that bring disgrace to our medical system.

Updated on 10/25/2016: Subsequent to my review, I was contacted by the owner of the company. The complaint was settled to my satisfaction.

Original review: July 27, 2016

I bought the MD Hearing Aid set and I don't suggest anyone else wasting their money on aids that don't work right and the help you get is incompetent. They couldn't care less except to get your money.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2015

I bought the MD Air with 1 year protection plan. I kept these hearing aids two weeks past their trial period. I wanted to give them a little more time before returning them. The feedback got worse over time and even one of the hearing aids wasn't recognizing there was a battery in it (wasn't turning on). They started to get worse the more I used them. They also weren't working for me they way I was hoping. They didn't amplify speech that produced clarity, all they did was amplify high frequencies so that someone crumbling paper next to me during an office meeting was unbearably loud. I contacted their customer service and asked to speak to a manager. He absolutely refused to accept a return, even if I absorbed 50% of the cost (which I offered).

I had no use for the hearing aids and mailed everything back to the company saying to please offer a refund of some kind. The manager I spoke to was a little passive aggressive and mailed my hearing aids right back to me without asking to discuss the situation again where we could come to an agreement. He said because I was past the trial period there was nothing he could do.

This was the worst customer service experience I ever had, and I partially blame it on the industry not having enough competition so they can enforce rules that don't make sense. Furthermore, the manager consulted with their on site 'audiologist' who requested my 'audiogram'. She came to the conclusion that the hearing aids should be working for me just fine, but both of them managed to completely avoid my claim that the hearing aids were producing feedback that made my tinnitus worse. Aside from me being upset that they wouldn't waive the trial period, I would have to say that the hearing aids aren't as good as the more expensive ones.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

Does not work well in noisy places like restaurants or with high pitched female voices. Needed earphones to watch TV. Does not work well with telephone use. Under most hearing conditions they were satisfactory. Much better than nothing. Long battery life. Had mine about a year and had zero problems.

Original review: May 5, 2015

I purchased a set of AIR hearing aids from MD Hearing Aid about a year ago. I had some "name brand" (expensive) aids for years. I have high range loss and am middle aged. The MD Airs performed better than the others I have had. They have held up well. The batteries last weeks, and I have had great support from customer service. I have several friends who paid for the name and found that the MD's work as well or better. Read reviews but get some and try them, some reviewers are not fair in their expectations. This is a quality instrument and will help many IF they read and follow instructions and take time to acclimate. (About a week.) All I know is they work very well for me!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

They worked fair, but tubes were kinked and couldn't hear in noisy environment, even with 4 adjustments. Calling got me nowhere as reps. had NO understanding of problems, but e-mail got me new tubes twice. When I saw the ads for new FIT I thought having in ear and NO tubes blocking ear canal would be a big benefit. They also said they improved outside noise distortion and new technology for better voice recognition.

This sounded like what I needed, so I tried to trade-in for them, but nothing doing, so I purchased a pair for $995.00 and they came with a 60-day guarantee of satisfaction. (90 % if returned less than 21 days because they want you to give a long trial they say). When I rec'd. them I tried putting the right one in ear and what a noise it made. I tried different volumes, but same noise only more or less louder. I tried the left one with the same result. (They sent 3 different sized domes which they said would be needed in extreme cases) which blocked the canal which I tried to avoid.

I had one stick in my ear because it was so tight, and Dorothy had to use tweezers to remove and all in all spent over an hour trying all different things it listed to try, and ended up with a headache and 2 sore, swollen ear lobes. (I let my wife see if she had better luck since she also wears hearing aids, and she yanked it out of her ear immediately screamed and threw it on table).

Being Sat. I didn't try calling and waited until Mon., expecting to get some kind of explanation, or advice, but no, only alibis telling me I needed to keep trying until I got used to them. They would shift me to different reps. who were supposed to be knowledgeable, but same thing. I called a couple more times on Wed. to see if they don't have a Product development dept.

After a long hassle, the girl said she would transfer me. I finally got to speak with a Nicholas who said he would check what was wrong and indicated it was new and they were getting a lot of complaints. He finally said they would need to take it under advisement and someone would call me back within 4 days. (I waited 6 and NO call back so I tried calling for a Nicholas, and they wanted to know why, which I explained and found Nicholas to be just another answerer.

After more call-backs and transfers I found they have NO one with any product or technology experience in Chicago. (Where all calls go to). I contacted Capital One to intercede since it was their c. c. I used. They did, and we finally were assured I could return and no re-stocking fee would apply. I have returned as per their instructions to Detroit, Mi. which is apparently the company is located, Not Chicago, Il. CAPITAL ONE has agreed to stay on top of this to get at least the charge refunded, but that is only a part of my frustrations after all this wasted time and energy. (I would have gladly accepted a simple explanation of what the problem is, but no one would give it).

MDHearingAid expert review by Shelley Webb

MDHearingAid is a discount hearing aid provider, specializing in basic hearing aids for the budget-conscious consumer. Founded by an ear, nose and throat doctor, Sreekant Cherukuri, in Chicago, MDHearingAid seeks to create the highest-quality hearing aid at the lowest possible price. The MDHearingAid line amplifies sounds associated with the human voice and decreases sounds associated with noise.

• Value: Most top-of-the-line hearing aids from major manufacturers will cost about $4000 per pair, but MDHearingAids are advertised between 82 and 91 percent less than the cost of comparable hearing aids from major brands.

• Options: Most hearing aid companies today only manufacture digital programmable aids, which provide great sound and the latest technology but are too expensive for the average consumer. MDHearingAids is one of the only companies that still offers analog-style hearing aids, which means you can purchase a complete set for less than $200. They also offer digital and rechargeable digital hearing aids.

• Monthly financing available: If you prefer to purchase your hearing aids through installments, MDHearingAid offers a zero percent APR financing option to select customers. Your payments may be anywhere from $17 to $46 a month.

• Online shopping: Most hearing aid providers require customers to undergo a complete hearing evaluation and hearing aid fitting prior to purchase. You can purchase your MDHearingAids online and have them shipped to your home with no appointments or evaluations required. Because they are made with a one-size-fits-all in-the-canal receiver, you can wear them right out of the package.

• Satisfaction guaranteed: MDHearingAids guarantees your satisfaction. You can try the hearing aids for 45 days, and if you are not completely satisfied, you can return them for a complete refund of your purchase price.

• Best for: aging listeners and people with acquired or progressive hearing loss who want to purchase discount hearing aids online.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
    Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

MDHearingAid Company Information