Costco Hearing Aid Center
2.52/5
  • 1 star
Based on 23 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need a good hearing aid?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Costco Hearing Aids

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 2, 2017

23 Costco Hearing Aid Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

My father is 83 and he was visiting from abroad. I took him to the Costco shop on Glen Mills, PA to the hearing aids shop to learn about the products. After a few minutes a salesman came and told me that I had to make an appointment over the phone the following day. I made the appointment and went back to the shop at the agreed time to find out that they wrongly booked my appointment in the computer. They told me that there was nothing they could do and that I had to re-book another appointment. The woman at the desk did not care at all that they made us waste two hours of our time when it was their fault to schedule the appointment at the wrong time.

I went to another location in Mount Laurel, NJ and tried to get another appointment. They said that they were booked for the whole month. Overall, the customer experience was terrible. I will not do business with these people. I prefer to go to a professional and pay more for a good product and have a good experience. With such terrible customer service, if you have any problem with the hearing aids, you will spend more money in time and frustration. These people do not care about the customer.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I had two other tests (Hearing test) the past three months and the one at the Los Feliz Costo was superior to both. It seemed more thorough, and the three beeps compared to one and two at the other places worked much better for me. The folks at Costco recommended me rescheduling my first appointment due to too much wax in one ear. I thought that was very very impressive. All three technicians were very good, but the one at Costco, Reginald Arceo, was outstanding, as were the ladies at the reception desk. I compared my older hearing aids with Costco's and the older ones compared favorably and Arceo actually encouraged me to stay with my old ones. Wow! I know where I am going when I really need new ones, and at almost half the price of the other devices. I am one happy camper.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 31, 2017

I visited Costco to have my hearing tested. This was the 3rd company to perform a hearing test. The results of the 3 hearing tests were basically identical. Rather than list the other two companies I visited, the experiences were similar. Each test took about 1-1/2 hour and a recommendation was made for the type & brand of hearing aid. These ranged in prices from $3900 - $4700. Recommendations included rechargeable batteries, remote control, bluetooth capabilities, etc. All three of the companies program the hearing aids to maximize the results of your tests.

I found the big difference between the first two companies were owned by individuals with limited or no staff. Costco is a retail environment and many people may want to be coddled due to the $$$ spent. Costco provides a 180 day return policy, 3-year warranty, no charge return visits, etc. I did not find any service unique to the two other firms. The entry level hearing aid at Costco is $1699. The tester provided a programmed pair and had me walk around the store for 10 minutes. This was not offered by one of the other firms.

So my dilemma is to figure out spending $4700 or $1699. I have never worn hearing aids and all three firms stated that hearing aids last 3-7 years. Laying out $4700 every three years is not an option. Based on the 180 day return guarantee from Costco seems to be the option I will pursue. The other firms offered 45 & 60 day returns. After I get my hearing aids from Costco, I will return and provide another review. I felt that the Costco employee (Rachel) who performed the hearing test was knowledgeable and pleasant.

Original review: May 8, 2017

Some of the Costco Hearing Aid Centers have good folks, most do not. They do not return phone calls, do not listen to your issues, don't care. They do not even check the programming to be sure you have the programs they tell you do. Great program, crappy supervision. Supervise your employees, so at least they work the hours they are charging you for.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I finally was fed up with not hearing normal everyday life. I work at a check cashing company behind bullet proof glass so hearing my customers was a huge task. I relied on my ability of reading lips but still struggled especially when I would look down at the cash drawer to get change and so forth. My Boss at the time gave me an ultimatum to purchase hearing aids or lose my job. He actually took me to Costco hearing center, did the hearing test, the audiologist suggested the ReSound Future. Noticed a huge improvement in hearing. Came home and turned on the TV to the volume I became accustomed to listening to and was blown away about how loud the TV was. Had an OMG moment.

The only downside I have noticed is they keep sliding out of place. Maybe if there was something to hold them in place they would work better as the hearing aids have become a nuisance to wear them. Feel like my ears get irritated. I think I read somewhere someone suggested a little baby oil on the tips. Hmm not too sure. I'm thinking of getting a pair of in the ear hearing aids from AccuQuest for 4900.00. Not sure if that's a good price...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Hearing Aids Center?

Original review: April 11, 2017

I had my hearing tested at my regular medical clinic and noted a hearing loss in low-frequency sounds. They said that hearing aids would cost about $5000 and there was a six-month wait??? One of my friends suggested I try Costco. The hearing test was free, and the results were pretty close to what the regular audiologist found. I tried a pair and walked around the store, noting that I could hear subtle sounds I'd missed before. So I ordered a pair of ReSound at $3000. Quite a bit of money for a senior, but better than my previous quote.

When they arrived two weeks later, the technician explained how to use them, how to pair with my cell phone, etc. And we scheduled follow-up appointments. I did not tell anyone at first because I wanted to see if they noticed any difference. They did. Every one of my friends noted first of all that my speaking volume had lowered to a normal level. Then they said that I was hearing them correctly and didn't have to ask them to repeat themselves. My usual practice was to ask someone to repeat, but if I had to ask again, I just skipped it -- and missed out on the conversation.

I especially like the cell phone connection because it lets me adjust the hearing aids for restaurant settings (tune out background noise, focus in on my table, etc.), music and TV (adjust bass and treble, etc.), outdoors (tune out wind and other distractions), etc. I can also preset "favorites." For example, if I meet often in a certain conference room, I can preset the volume, ambient noise level, etc. I like the ability to use the phone in my car and have the conversation go directly to my hearing aids, or I can use the car speaker instead.

My model fits over the ear, so I have to be careful when brushing my hair or else the device gets tangled in my hair and falls off. So I just remove them now when using hot rollers or a hairbrush, etc. My only disappointment was that I took the hearing aids in for monthly maintenance, which the technician said was a free service. But when I took them in, the technician (a different person) said no, they didn't do that. She gave me the supplies and showed me how to do it at home. I think that covers all the bases. It's been two months, and I'm happy so far.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I went to Costco for my 3rd pair of hearing aids over a period of 16 years. Their hearing aids are more reasonably priced than elsewhere. My experience with the staff is a different story. I went to the Roseville Store. There is a gentlemen there that talks politics, is racist, and I was offended. The women that work there are simply not interested in customer service. It is a one hour, round trip for me and I have gotten there and been told that they don't have time to service my hearing aids, to come back another time. I have made 3 trips to replace my current hearing aids. The place needs a new manager. The only thing that any business has to sell is customer service. I can buy product anywhere. I want to be treated like a valuable customer and that is not happening there, with the exception of one young lady named Linda.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

Most important for me is that hearing aids relieve the horrible ringing in my ears. That also implies I an hard of hearing and need the devices. I have been through three different audiologists about this and felt ripped off every time because they didn't care that much about my problem as long as I spent big $$$ on their devices. My latest examination was a walk-in because I was lucky and the latest Rexton version knock out much of the ringing and solve much of the huh? factor. It required a couple of trips in for adjustment and am now happy. The cost was less than half than non Costco and the guarantee is so much better. No wonder the others are whining. Now if they would solve the problem of locating a misplaced device using Bluetooth. That would really be something.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

I tried Costco's Phonak Brio model. This is their top of the line model for $3000. I was really hoping that these hearing aids are as good as $5500 Phonak model I was sold by the local audiologist. I returned the $5500 ones wanting to try Costco's model and save $2500. Living on fixed income every penny counts. Unfortunately, this is is not the same product I tried before. It looks similar but features and quality of sound are very different, Costco model does not have as many features and it makes a big difference. I was told by Costco's audiologist that these hearing aids are made specially for Costco, I am not sure if it is good or bad. I could not hear as clearly as I did with non Costco model, especially in noise. I went back 4 times trying to make it work for me and finally gave up and returned these hearing aids.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

I have had a very positive experience with Costco hearing center, here in Sacramento, CA. I had been to my hmo audiology dept.. It was a nightmare. Cost per unit $3000... 1 yr. warranty, 60 days to return for any reason. Problem was their hearing test was minimal, I did not feel was thorough. The audiology dept. canceled more appts. than they kept. I finally call Blue Cross and begged them to find me another provider, most were where I had already been. The others too far to travel to. They are the ones that recommended, 2 different customer reps told me many of their customers went to Costco, which was by far the cheapest I had found thus far, the staff was a pleasure to deal with, the cost $2800 for both ears plus a free "Soundgate" bluetooth that is linked to my phone, so all my phone calls comes thru my hearing aids.

I did a lot of research for various different businesses. The costs were utterly ridiculous, 4, 5, 6,000 per unit. Most patients are seniors, what senior on a fixed income can afford these prices. But the most common comment I heard from all is all hearing aids are basically the same technology, there are usually 3 price levels for every brand, the differences are in the "brand name", "type" you get, i.e., inner ear, over the ear, style, etc. I love my hearing aids. My hearing has never been better. Follow up appts. are free, the initial test was much more thorough, and better explained to me. I have been back 3-4 times for questions and some adjustments for the programs that are not working for me. The batteries are really cheap, 7 mos. worth for about $20 or so. I cannot think of a better place to go for this product.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I purchased my hearing aids at the Arlington, TX COSTCO. The aids are terrible. For over $2000 I got a pair of Kirkland and all they do is amplify the sound. I still cannot understand people when having a conversation. And COSTCO will not refund nor trade out for any other aids. RIP-OFF!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016
I had the worst experience with Costco Hearing Aids at Edison, NJ. At the time American Express was still honoring extended warranty. I spent $3000 on hearing aids. Now AMEX is not there anymore and talking with Citi is a nightmare. Costco at Edison reduce service hours for Hearing Aid Doctor. Scheduling an appointment is also, hard. Every time go there for check up they excuse us get us new mold. How come I have to get and pay for new mold every 5-7 months???

Their staff at Hearing Aids are not certified and trained. Dr. has only weekend availability and scheduling is two to three months far.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I got to this site because I was trying to check whether my Costco Hearing Aids are still returnable. I was truly impressed by the cost ($1,800 as opposed to $4k to $5K). Alas, I think you truly get what you pay for. Since the hearing aids were not custom fitted they are extremely difficult to insert. They even had to remove the domes for me, because they were too large for my ears. They are uncomfortable to wear, I cannot seem to get a "useful" sound level, and I avoid wearing them. They are no bargain. They sit in my house in their box 99% of the time! If I do wear them, it is a relief to remove them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2016

I am a 74 yr old 3 time buyer of hearing aids (over 10 yrs) and a retired hospital CEO. I think I know something about medical professionals and value for your dollar. I purchased 1 from a private practice audiologist and two from Costco. I rate my experience from Costco a 5 and from the private practice a 3. When you look at product technology, prices, trial periods, warranty and going the extra mile to get the job done, I rate Costco (Frisco, Tx, Plano, Tx, and Gypsum, Co - where I have a second home) as excellent!!!

I am on the latest generation Blue Tooth & wireless controls. While my baseline hearing has gone down (based on unassisted hearing tests) the quality of the product has gone up. I am literally staying even to a slight improvement in my overall hearing and speech recognition. I paid $7,625 to the private audiologist and less than $3,000 for the two upgrades at Costco. Costco products have the same specs and manufactures and are branded differently so the private practice guys don't get upset with the manufactures selling them to Costco cheaper.

All of us consumers need to be more market based purchasers and not let the medical cartel convince us there is some mystic in some of the basic products and services we need in our day to day lives!! I am a two time cancer survivor and would definitely recommend going to a tertiary treatment center for something like that, but hearing aids???

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

I have had my Costco hearing aids for almost 3 years. I cannot imagine a better experience and at 1/3 the cost of those audiologists. The review that stated they wasted $2,999.00 on Costco hearing aids had to be a lie because the most expensive ones are/were $1899.00. Add the Phone Clip and it is only another $200. I have the phone clip too. Still works great. Hearing aids still good. I have gone back for a tune-up a couple of times. No problem. I even lost my hearing aids and they were replaced free of charge once.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I had the worst experience with Costco Hearing aids at Heather Ridge. At the time American Express was still honoring extended warranty. I spent $3000 on hearing aids was dissatisfied and returned them. Instead of crediting the difference to American Express and thus keeping the warranty, they put the refund on an internal Costco cash card thus voiding the original AMEX warranty. When the new hearing aids were lost, I found that the warranty was void because Costco did not refund on the original AMEX. Costco does not train their employees. The warranty I lost was worth 2799.00. If you buy anything at Costco, be extremely careful with the paperwork on returns. Although Costco no longer honors American Express, they are still not knowledgeable on how to preserve a warranty. They should be ashamed. I lost $2000.00

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

This is my 4th pair of hearing aids and I decided to try Costco this time because I had heard such good things about their hearing aid department. The difference between going to Costco and going to an audiologist is the atmosphere. If you can live without a fancy looking office and you don't want to feel pressured into buying an overpriced hearing aid, often financed on the spot through Comenity Bank. They specialize in financing for medical equipment that insurance doesn't cover and READ the terms carefully before you sign. They are doing you NO favor. Costco sells the same hearing aids that audiologists carry at a significant discount.

The man who did the testing and fitting seemed just as knowledgeable as any audiologist I've been to. They do not earn a commission so there is no pressure from them either. He tested and fitted me with new aids the first visit. I was the one rushing this deal because the devices I purchased less than a year earlier never did feel good and I never could hear with them. After many appointments. I've gone back for some fine tuning and to pick up my remote and I'm very happy. They also give you a 180-day trial period and if you don't like them you get all of your money back.

Original review: July 20, 2016

My husband has been using Costco hearing aids because the guy is so nice and it's so much cheaper than other hearing aid centers. Well, I have had enough! I can't tell you how many times I have to repeat everything, how he has to turn up the tv headphones as far up as they can go, and when I fall, which is frequently, the man can't hear me screaming for help. Today is the absolute last straw. I fell over backwards and kept yelling and screaming for my husband to help. He was standing about 15 yards away. Never heard a thing. Ok, maybe the guy at Costco is a fabulous, kind man. Maybe Costco has the cheapest hearing aids out there, as well as the Bluetooth hearing device. But I've HAD IT!!! As the hearing spouse, these things are JUNK JUNK JUNK. Go someplace else. HEY - one star means one star - look at the reviews. Even if you have to pay double, it's worth it to the hearing people in your lives.

Original review: July 11, 2016

My wife obtained hearing aids from the Costco Hearing center in Birmingham, AL. She has had considerable problems with the product causing her ears to itch. She was given some solution to solve that issue and when used, both of the domes came off in her ears. Much to her chagrin and disgust, the Costco Hearing center said that they did not have the equipment to remove the domes from her ears and would not cover the cost to have a doctor remove them. Needless to say this is malpractice at worst for a hearing center...

Original review: June 25, 2016

Bought ReSound hearing aids through COSTCO three years ago. The Re-Sound BlueTooth phone clip failed after the one year warranty expired. The hearing aids were repaired four times while still under warranty. Warranty expired in May 2016, both hearing aids failed again in June, 2016. I will not buy another hearing aid. I will try a "hearing device" to see if it works for me. Found hearing device on Internet with bluetooth interface for around $600 for both ears. Will check if they allow a trial period. If they do, will order a pair. COSTCO has the best prices and good service, but the cost of hearing aids is still too high. For the high prices charged, hearing aids should be more reliable and last longer.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I bought a hearing aids 6 years ago (a huge expense for me). One of the hearing aids was damaged and I brought it back to Costco for repair. They informed me that they do not repair hearing aids that are six years old (why is that), then tried to sell me another pair. What kind of organization do they operate. You pay thousands and they won't repair the hearing aid you have, and won't sell you one individual hearing aid. You must buy a pair. Is this because this is the perfect timing for them to get you to buy. What kind of racket is the hearing aid business doing and especially how are they targeting the elderly in taking their money. It appears that they have a monopoly on a health product targeting the elderly. Fix the hearing aids even if they're 20 years old. Why is there ever a statute of limitation on fixing anything, especially hearing aids.

Original review: March 6, 2016

Not happy with it. Back many times and doesn't work any better. Need to exchange it. My husband is getting upset. He has been back there many times. William ** is his name.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

I went into the COSTCO hearing aid center for a hearing test and adjustments to my Resound Hearing Aids, Model Futr861. One hearing aid was the original, bought in February, 2012; one was a replacement for one I lost about a year later. The technician announced that the original needed a software update, but the newer one did not (no charges for the update). The updated hearing aid was now continuously hissing, like static on a radio. I had to make a return trip to COSTCO when I couldn't stand the noise any longer. Checking it a second time, she announced that it had to go back to the manufacturer because there was nothing she could do to fix it. She said about half of all updates had the same effect, but had to charge me $135 for the "repair"!!!! I asked that she reload my original software but she said the computer would not let her do that. I need my hearing aids, so I paid!

Costco Hearing Aids Center expert review by Shelley Webb

Costco is a multinational chain of membership-based wholesale stores with locations throughout the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Mexico, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan and Spain. Costco Hearing Aid Center is a division of Costco, available in select locations. Costco Hearing Aid Center offers hearing tests, checkups and hearing aids for purchase.

• No-obligation hearing tests: Costco Hearing Aid Center administers hearing tests to customers to determine whether they would benefit from hearing aids. There is no obligation to buy, regardless of the results of your hearing test.

• Free product demonstrations: Representatives at Costco Hearing Aid Center demonstrate products for customers for free so they can see how they work and if they are interested in purchasing them.

• Additional perks: Every customer who purchases a hearing aid from Costco gets 10 free hearing aid batteries, free follow up appointments and troubleshooting, free hearing aid cleanings and checkups, free loss and damage coverage and product warranties.

• Value pricing: Customers who shop at Costco Hearing Aids receive cheaper, wholesale prices for their hearing aids. Not only that, but Costco has partnered with Siemens to create their own line of Kirkland Signature Premium digital hearing aids for around $1700 a pair, thousands of dollars cheaper than other options.

• Bluetooth compatibility: Costco offers hearing aid solutions from many manufacturers, most of whom offer wireless accessories like remote controls, cell phone apps and clip-on microphones all powered by Bluetooth wireless technology.

• Best for: Costco members who have progressive or acquired hearing loss.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Costco Hearing Aid Center Company Information