Costco Hearing Aids

Compare Hearing Aids

Research top Hearing Aids recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I tried Costco's Phonak Brio model. This is their top of the line model for $3000. I was really hoping that these hearing aids are as good as $5500 Phonak model I was sold by the local audiologist. I returned the $5500 ones wanting to try Costco's model and save $2500. Living on fixed income every penny counts. Unfortunately, this is is not the same product I tried before. It looks similar but features and quality of sound are very different, Costco model does not have as many features and it makes a big difference. I was told by Costco's audiologist that these hearing aids are made specially for Costco, I am not sure if it is good or bad. I could not hear as clearly as I did with non Costco model, especially in noise. I went back 4 times trying to make it work for me and finally gave up and returned these hearing aids.

I have had a very positive experience with Costco hearing center, here in Sacramento, CA. I had been to my hmo audiology dept.. It was a nightmare. Cost per unit $3000... 1 yr. warranty, 60 days to return for any reason. Problem was their hearing test was minimal, I did not feel was thorough. The audiology dept. canceled more appts. than they kept. I finally call Blue Cross and begged them to find me another provider, most were where I had already been. The others too far to travel to. They are the ones that recommended, 2 different customer reps told me many of their customers went to Costco, which was by far the cheapest I had found thus far, the staff was a pleasure to deal with, the cost $2800 for both ears plus a free "Soundgate" bluetooth that is linked to my phone, so all my phone calls comes thru my hearing aids.

I did a lot of research for various different businesses. The costs were utterly ridiculous, 4, 5, 6,000 per unit. Most patients are seniors, what senior on a fixed income can afford these prices. But the most common comment I heard from all is all hearing aids are basically the same technology, there are usually 3 price levels for every brand, the differences are in the "brand name", "type" you get, i.e., inner ear, over the ear, style, etc. I love my hearing aids. My hearing has never been better. Follow up appts. are free, the initial test was much more thorough, and better explained to me. I have been back 3-4 times for questions and some adjustments for the programs that are not working for me. The batteries are really cheap, 7 mos. worth for about $20 or so. I cannot think of a better place to go for this product.

I purchased my hearing aids at the Arlington, TX COSTCO. The aids are terrible. For over $2000 I got a pair of Kirkland and all they do is amplify the sound. I still cannot understand people when having a conversation. And COSTCO will not refund nor trade out for any other aids. RIP-OFF!

I had the worst experience with Costco Hearing Aids at Edison, NJ. At the time American Express was still honoring extended warranty. I spent $3000 on hearing aids. Now AMEX is not there anymore and talking with Citi is a nightmare. Costco at Edison reduce service hours for Hearing Aid Doctor. Scheduling an appointment is also, hard. Every time go there for check up they excuse us get us new mold. How come I have to get and pay for new mold every 5-7 months???

Their staff at Hearing Aids are not certified and trained. Dr. has only weekend availability and scheduling is two to three months far.

I got to this site because I was trying to check whether my Costco Hearing Aids are still returnable. I was truly impressed by the cost ($1,800 as opposed to $4k to $5K). Alas, I think you truly get what you pay for. Since the hearing aids were not custom fitted they are extremely difficult to insert. They even had to remove the domes for me, because they were too large for my ears. They are uncomfortable to wear, I cannot seem to get a "useful" sound level, and I avoid wearing them. They are no bargain. They sit in my house in their box 99% of the time! If I do wear them, it is a relief to remove them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Costco Hearing Aids?

I am a 74 yr old 3 time buyer of hearing aids (over 10 yrs) and a retired hospital CEO. I think I know something about medical professionals and value for your dollar. I purchased 1 from a private practice audiologist and two from Costco. I rate my experience from Costco a 5 and from the private practice a 3. When you look at product technology, prices, trial periods, warranty and going the extra mile to get the job done, I rate Costco (Frisco, Tx, Plano, Tx, and Gypsum, Co - where I have a second home) as excellent!!!

I am on the latest generation Blue Tooth & wireless controls. While my baseline hearing has gone down (based on unassisted hearing tests) the quality of the product has gone up. I am literally staying even to a slight improvement in my overall hearing and speech recognition. I paid $7,625 to the private audiologist and less than $3,000 for the two upgrades at Costco. Costco products have the same specs and manufactures and are branded differently so the private practice guys don't get upset with the manufactures selling them to Costco cheaper.

All of us consumers need to be more market based purchasers and not let the medical cartel convince us there is some mystic in some of the basic products and services we need in our day to day lives!! I am a two time cancer survivor and would definitely recommend going to a tertiary treatment center for something like that, but hearing aids???

I have had my Costco hearing aids for almost 3 years. I cannot imagine a better experience and at 1/3 the cost of those audiologists. The review that stated they wasted $2,999.00 on Costco hearing aids had to be a lie because the most expensive ones are/were $1899.00. Add the Phone Clip and it is only another $200. I have the phone clip too. Still works great. Hearing aids still good. I have gone back for a tune-up a couple of times. No problem. I even lost my hearing aids and they were replaced free of charge once.

I had the worst experience with Costco Hearing aids at Heather Ridge. At the time American Express was still honoring extended warranty. I spent $3000 on hearing aids was dissatisfied and returned them. Instead of crediting the difference to American Express and thus keeping the warranty, they put the refund on an internal Costco cash card thus voiding the original AMEX warranty. When the new hearing aids were lost, I found that the warranty was void because Costco did not refund on the original AMEX. Costco does not train their employees. The warranty I lost was worth 2799.00. If you buy anything at Costco, be extremely careful with the paperwork on returns. Although Costco no longer honors American Express, they are still not knowledgeable on how to preserve a warranty. They should be ashamed. I lost $2000.00

This is my 4th pair of hearing aids and I decided to try Costco this time because I had heard such good things about their hearing aid department. The difference between going to Costco and going to an audiologist is the atmosphere. If you can live without a fancy looking office and you don't want to feel pressured into buying an overpriced hearing aid, often financed on the spot through Comenity Bank. They specialize in financing for medical equipment that insurance doesn't cover and READ the terms carefully before you sign. They are doing you NO favor. Costco sells the same hearing aids that audiologists carry at a significant discount.

The man who did the testing and fitting seemed just as knowledgeable as any audiologist I've been to. They do not earn a commission so there is no pressure from them either. He tested and fitted me with new aids the first visit. I was the one rushing this deal because the devices I purchased less than a year earlier never did feel good and I never could hear with them. After many appointments. I've gone back for some fine tuning and to pick up my remote and I'm very happy. They also give you a 180-day trial period and if you don't like them you get all of your money back.

My husband has been using Costco hearing aids because the guy is so nice and it's so much cheaper than other hearing aid centers. Well, I have had enough! I can't tell you how many times I have to repeat everything, how he has to turn up the tv headphones as far up as they can go, and when I fall, which is frequently, the man can't hear me screaming for help. Today is the absolute last straw. I fell over backwards and kept yelling and screaming for my husband to help. He was standing about 15 yards away. Never heard a thing. Ok, maybe the guy at Costco is a fabulous, kind man. Maybe Costco has the cheapest hearing aids out there, as well as the Bluetooth hearing device. But I've HAD IT!!! As the hearing spouse, these things are JUNK JUNK JUNK. Go someplace else. HEY - one star means one star - look at the reviews. Even if you have to pay double, it's worth it to the hearing people in your lives.

My wife obtained hearing aids from the Costco Hearing center in Birmingham, AL. She has had considerable problems with the product causing her ears to itch. She was given some solution to solve that issue and when used, both of the domes came off in her ears. Much to her chagrin and disgust, the Costco Hearing center said that they did not have the equipment to remove the domes from her ears and would not cover the cost to have a doctor remove them. Needless to say this is malpractice at worst for a hearing center...

Bought ReSound hearing aids through COSTCO three years ago. The Re-Sound BlueTooth phone clip failed after the one year warranty expired. The hearing aids were repaired four times while still under warranty. Warranty expired in May 2016, both hearing aids failed again in June, 2016. I will not buy another hearing aid. I will try a "hearing device" to see if it works for me. Found hearing device on Internet with bluetooth interface for around $600 for both ears. Will check if they allow a trial period. If they do, will order a pair. COSTCO has the best prices and good service, but the cost of hearing aids is still too high. For the high prices charged, hearing aids should be more reliable and last longer.

I bought a hearing aids 6 years ago (a huge expense for me). One of the hearing aids was damaged and I brought it back to Costco for repair. They informed me that they do not repair hearing aids that are six years old (why is that), then tried to sell me another pair. What kind of organization do they operate. You pay thousands and they won't repair the hearing aid you have, and won't sell you one individual hearing aid. You must buy a pair. Is this because this is the perfect timing for them to get you to buy. What kind of racket is the hearing aid business doing and especially how are they targeting the elderly in taking their money. It appears that they have a monopoly on a health product targeting the elderly. Fix the hearing aids even if they're 20 years old. Why is there ever a statute of limitation on fixing anything, especially hearing aids.

Not happy with it. Back many times and doesn't work any better. Need to exchange it. My husband is getting upset. He has been back there many times. William ** is his name.

I went into the COSTCO hearing aid center for a hearing test and adjustments to my Resound Hearing Aids, Model Futr861. One hearing aid was the original, bought in February, 2012; one was a replacement for one I lost about a year later. The technician announced that the original needed a software update, but the newer one did not (no charges for the update). The updated hearing aid was now continuously hissing, like static on a radio. I had to make a return trip to COSTCO when I couldn't stand the noise any longer. Checking it a second time, she announced that it had to go back to the manufacturer because there was nothing she could do to fix it. She said about half of all updates had the same effect, but had to charge me $135 for the "repair"!!!! I asked that she reload my original software but she said the computer would not let her do that. I need my hearing aids, so I paid!

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Costco Hearing Aids is a division of the large membership-based wholesale store, Costco Wholesale. The company offers hearing tests, checkups, and hearing aids for purchase.

• Free product demonstrations: Representatives at Costco Hearing Aids demonstrate products for customers for free so they can see how they work and if they are interested in purchasing them.
  • Free batteries: Every customer who purchases a hearing aid from Costco gets 10 free hearing aid batteries.
  • No-obligation tests: The company administers hearing tests to customers without requiring them to make any purchase.
  • Complimentary cleaning and new battery: When customers go to Costco to get a hearing aid checkup, they receive free cleanings and batteries for their devices.
  • Value pricing: Customers who shop at Costco Hearing Aids receive cheaper, wholesale prices for their hearing aids.
  • Best for Consumers who need a hearing aid, consumers who already wear hearing aids, and consumers who are worried about their hearing.

Compare Hearing Aids