1.18/5
Based on 121 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a good furniture store?

Lombard, IL

125 The Room Place Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The bed I purchased is CHEAP. Expensive price for cheap material. It has these thin wood boards on the side holding the bed up and it’s been less than a year and one has broken off. It’s just me on the queen sized bed. I’m 5”2 and weigh between 115-120 lbs. This didn’t break because of weight...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

You're truly an embarrassment to call yourself a Reputable Furniture Establishment. Words can't describe my true state of mind at this point, realizing that I had been scammed on such disregard for a product being passed off as leather & is actually leather scraps & plastics, by selling it to myself & other consumers deceptive leather sofas & chairs. I purchased sofas for my Media room & they are now peeling. I went to your store here in Chicago (Store 002), spoke with someone at customer service & was given a number at your Customer Care Center.

I was told that since I bought the sofas 6 years ago (Sales Order **), the warranty has expired & there's nothing they can do... Are You ** Kidding Me. You're not going to REPLACE or try to compensate me for spending $1800.00 for a product that you knew was DEFECTIVE, DECEPTIVE & A SAFETY HAZARD. I've contacted the following & filed complaints with: Dept Of Consumer Affairs (FILE # **), The Better Business Bureau, Local TV (NBC & CBS) which previously did reports on your establishment for the same complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had a wonderful experience with The Room Place in Indianapolis, In. Daniel ** our rep was not pushy, he let us take our time during the selection process, very knowledgeable on all the products on the sales floor especially the mattress department. Financing was painless. Daniel walked my husband through from start to finish. Expected delivery on 9/18. The General Manager was very welcoming and checked back with Daniel to ensure the process went smooth.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We bought a black reclining sofa from the room place that was not leather, but looks like leather in November 2017. Within 4-6 months the fabric was wearing off plus the sofa has charging ports for phone, tablets, etc... They will not fix anything, even though we purchased the 5 year warranty that was suppose to cover everything. We had one arm upholstered @ a local upholstery shop. The seating areas are just too expensive. Walk away from The Room Place. Their furniture plus their service is extremely poor. Spend your money elsewhere. Wish I could post pictures of the sofa.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We bought a Marble kitchen table and matching sideboard marble. Within 2 weeks you can't place anything on it. Marks. Stains. Everything. They claim it is our fault, for not protecting the table. Very very rude customer service. They won't even come out to look at the product. There is a one year factory warranty. They will not honor since it is our fault the table is not being protected. Never buy from here. They are horrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Room Place?

Original review: June 21, 2018

I visited The Room Place in Algonquin IL on Randall Road on 5/4/18, picked out beautiful furniture that was delivered 4 days later. The sale people I dealt with seem very inexperienced and even less experienced with the computer system. Needless to say after 4-6 hours I left Room Place with my order on the way and an American Finance contract stating finance charges would start 7/9/18 and 1st payment due starting 7/13/18. I even confirmed with The Room Place employee that the payments wouldn’t start until July and finance charges would accrue until July and the employee reiterated to me that I could pay the balance in full before July and avoid financing or finance charges. But if not payments would start in July. However AF finance company reported the account to the credit bureau 5/25/18, debited my checking account 6/1/18, 6/8/18 and 6/15/18 and every day after until today.

After talking to multiple supervisors and managers at AF they agreed to refund the payments taken incorrectly... Wrong. They agreed and then debited my account again stating the Room Place informed them I received my furniture early? I have spoken to the General Manager at Room Place and his office manager Maria and they are now ignoring the fact I have a contract in black and white stating the payment dates and even ignoring the employee who assisted me on 5/4/18 who even state to both managers that she called AF and confirmed the start date on my contract and 7/13/18 was confirmed. The Room Place does not care about customer loyalty or satisfaction. Better yet they do not even uphold their own contracts. I say enough is enough. #classactionlawsuit ~ If you have a contract with AF that has not been upheld legally we need to talk! BEWARE OF American Finance Contract FRAUD, SCAM, ROOM PLACE FRAUD.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My wife and I had a severely disappointed experience with The Room Place in Lombard. The first visit, we were assisted by the sale manager and a lady for sale department who convince us with the large purchase order of nearly $14,000 and also convinced us to purchase the 5-year warranty. They promised us that we will have a 60 month payment plan without interest on the Room Place credit card they convinced us also to apply.

Few days after and before the delivery, my wife and I purchased new order for approximately $5,000 with a different account (my wife account), the promotion for this new account was 2 years payment plan without interest. Upon delivery of these order, we realized that some furniture were missing and after a long request they promised to give us back credit for those missing furniture. Later on after we had broken chairs, we called and they never replaced or fixed.

My wife and I were paying regularly our credit card and never have late payment. When we finished to pay for my wife credit during the 2 year scheduled, the Comenity Bank increase my balance from $3,800 to $7,800 with almost $4,000 extra, pretending that the plan was 2 years instead of 60 months. The worst part is the game and the way Both The Room Place and the Bank are playing to rob the customer who we are. Because the manager from the Room Place recognized that there was a confusion and miscommunication and they promised to fix it. But never did it for real until today.

After many complaints, they made me spent again $2,000 for nothing and my balance is keep going up every month. Nobody care about our feeling and all their preoccupation is to collect money illegally from us. They are trying to mess-up my credit record because of this matter. I don't want to be in this situation anymore. I have never dealt with such a lack of appreciation for retaining happy, existing customers. It is a shame how this popular location continues to not honor their promotion plan and their warranty and will let customers walk away unhappy after spending thousands of hard-earned dollars on what is meant to be lifelong furniture.

Original review: April 9, 2018

DO NOT GET THE No Use. No Lose. Warranty. IT IS A SCAM. The store clerk told me I would be getting my money back if I do not use the services within 5 years. However you have 90 days to mail in a postcard they DID NOT give me and also you DO NOT get your money back. I looked up the warranty and you get a store credit. Now they refused to refund my money because it’s been more than 5 years and I did not mail in the post card. Even if I would have done this I wouldn’t have gotten my money back. Only store credit. SUCH A SCAM. NEVER doing business with them again. I spent well over $9,000 at this store and they can’t honor their word. DISGUSTING!! Thanks ** at 1235 E. Gold Road Schaumburg, IL.

Original review: March 24, 2018

We got a bunch of stuff. A couch and love seat and new kitchen table and 6 chairs. Also a coffee table. Got it early Feb. I noticed a few weeks later the table and a scratch on the top edge. Told the room place about it. They said take pics of it. I sent them pics. Getting nowhere. The day the people they have deliver the furniture I heard something hit our wall. The guy knocked a drill of a shelf and it put a hole in our wall. I seen it and asked him about it. He said it fell off. Bad thing he wasn't even going to say anything.

I told the room place what happened they didn't seem like it was nothing. Then today the back of the couch broke. I called them and the first thing they told me they won't cover the scratch on table. I would have to turn it into insurance. She told me don't tell them it was done during delivery. I told her so I have to lie. What a bad place. I told her if something don't get done I will contact a lawyer and I will. The leather couch is made out of cheap pine 1x4 boards. Not happy at all.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Purchased a sectional. They loaded my trailer with the two piece sectional. Wrong section was given to me. It has been a nightmare trying to get my correct piece to the sectional. Still waiting. No one really has been very helpful trying to resolve this issue. I would never recommend the room place to anyone. Stay away unless you like being stressed out.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Unbelievably ridiculous. I TRULY feel like I have been scammed out of my money by this high-end store. I bought a bed and sofa set from The Room Place in 2016. One year and a half later the bed breaks and it's nothing they can do about it and Guardian (the warranty) doesn't cover it. My leather sofa peels a year later and Guardian brings the wrong piece, and never tried to contact or call to bring the right piece. I've contacted them on numerous occasions. All I've received are long holds and broken promises to call back.

The manager for their (The Room Place) customer service department acts as though she was glad to say there's nothing she can do, and I would have to pay out of my own pockets to get my bed fixed. Not to mention it's still a piece to my bed that they never came back to place. I'm now going to BBB because I refuse to keep paying my hard earn $$$ to a place that doesn't care about the customer but just about making a penny. TO WHOEVER GETS TO READ THIS RUN!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE ANY furniture FROM HARLEM FURNITURE THE ROOM PLACE.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

BE WARNED. DO NOT PAY the min balance. It will not get you to 0 in time of the end of the financing term. If you pay the minimum you will be assessed all the back interest as described in the contract. DO NOT expect them to have BIG warnings... There is just a date buried on the 3rd page. NO 1 more payments left... NO 1 more payment left. THERE IS NO GRACE PERIOD... IF YOU HIT THIS DATE YOU GET TAGGED WITH ALL THE FINANCE CHARGES!!! They will not tell you this in the store. This is with Comenity Bank.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I purchased leather (imitation) sofa over a year ago. Six months into purchase the top surface started to peel off in all areas. I called warranty and I was told that "peeling" is not covered. That would be considered a manufacture issue. Complete nonsense. I don't understand how a business like this can even continue to sell low quality product. At least try to negotiate for taking 1700$ of my hard earned money in exchange for disposable furniture.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I was in the Greenwood store the second week of Dec. I placed a order. Was told I would get all before Christmas. I got a call on Dec 21st from delivery that they couldn't find a piece. Said it was on the computer. Couldn't find in warehouse. We went back to the Greenwood store which they are very nice and helpful Jordan and Todd. So we changed a piece to a loveseat and of course couldn't be delivered until the 26th of Dec. And then I have a hole in the couch. Manufacture issue. The delivery doesn't happen for the loveseat for the 26th. That would be the 16th of January. They bring out another couch and that is broke.

They deliver on the 16th and the loveseat has issues and so does the couch. We wanted everything picked up. We went in store, cancels contract. Told them me wanted all picked up asap. Why is it 2 weeks later and they just call and tell me they will come and pick up and they were waiting for me to call. Wrong. I did my part now. It's on you to get stuff. Now I have to rearrange my schedule for them again. And corporate can't tell me why they didn't schedule it. I will never go there again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I have no issues telling you like it is. This place is driven by a carefully crafted scam. The warranties are a worthless joke. Made the claim on a failed mattress protector that ruined the mattress, only to find out that my "mattress is no longer available after one year". I was giving the option to replace the mattress, only to find out the "replacement" is going to cost us an additional 500 dollars more, plus tax and delivery. We simply walked out and contacted the manager the following day. She assured us that this could be taken care of and we needed to come back in. On our second trip, she offered to take 200 off the mattress. We made the hour trip for nothing. Bottom line: Their warranty product failed. They will not cover the replacement of mattress unless we pay quite a bit more. Sounds a little like bait and switching to me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I bought a sofa sleeper for $750 and my husband pick it up at the warehouse. When I took out the plastic from the sofa it had a big ripped then I called to The Room Place warehouse and they said there's nothing they can do with bad attitude. The manager didn't give me options. He was rude. Few months ago I recommended to my friends and family the room place. Now I will tell them never buy anything from there. They don't help you and the furniture was in bad condition.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased two leather love seats and a reclining chair. Spend extra money for a warranty that was not honored. The leather started peeling and the foam begin falling out from underneath of the two love seats. It took The Room Place 90 days of lying before giving me a answer. I would not recommend this store to a dog!!!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I never write reviews, but I have to warn everyone against shopping here. I purchased a sofa 2 years ago and was on a deferred interest payment plan. I made almost every payment on time. However, I was 2 weeks late on my very last payment because my son had been hospitalized. When I opened the bill, I saw that I had been charged over almost $700 in finance charges. I pleaded with a "senior account representative" to allow me to make my last payment of $100 and waive the other charges, but he said again and again that there was nothing he could do. It's so disappointment when companies like this one will not make exceptions under any circumstances. I could have used that $700 towards some of my son's hospital bill and I could have written an excellent review but instead their policies have caused them to lose me as a customer and I will continue to warn everyone against shopping here for as long as the store is open!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Extremely disappointed with The Room Place. Bad customer service from the corporate office and bad product. Since the first day of the delivery everything started bad. We purchase a bed set for my daughter with a memory mattress. The drawers from the bed set didn't close properly so they change that after 2 weeks of the purchase and the mattress the same day that was deliver we notice a dent and after almost 3 weeks I get a call from customer service telling that they are not going to change the mattress because it doesn't qualify under the manufacturer qualifications of inches of a dent. So basically that's what I purchase and I should just deal with it. My first and last time purchasing at the room place.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

This is a review to inform anyone thinking of purchasing furniture from The Room Place to stay clear, they DO NOT stand behind their product or have any desire to help you if there is an issue with your purchase! I purchased a couch, loveseat, leather recliner and the upgraded warranty in April of 2017. Six weeks later as I was rotating the cushions on the couch I discovered tears on both cushions, upon examination, the zipper of both cushions had pulled away from the stitching. Had that been the only thing wrong, I would have stitched it up myself and been a 'happy camper'. But the tears were another story, there were five, 3 on one cushion, 2 on the other. My immediate thought was a defective run of material, I say this because the tears were in the part of the cushion that your knees would be against or that part of the cushion that was up against the back of the couch not the tops or bottom part of the cushions.

So I have this 'warranty' that indicates it covers everything and anything that could happen while in ownership of these couches, WRONG!!! After talking directly to The Room Place customer service people and a manager of some sort and sending them pictures of the tears and zippers, they tell me it’s pet damage and (we have a dog, who does not go on furniture) that's not covered. I say if it’s pet damage, how come the foam underneath from the tear is undamaged, it’s obviously a defective run of material. What about the stitching pulling away, the warranty I'm looking at indicates it covers everything short of ARMAGEDDON!!! These conversations with customer service and the warranty company Guardian happened numerous times. Here's the thing, I just wanted 2 new covers, not a new couch, 2 new cushion covers.

Out of sure desperation, I packed up the cushions and drove all the way to The Room Place and showed them up close what these tears looked like (thinking the pics didn't do it). I said, “I'm here hoping you'll do the right thing.” I talked with a manager who actually agreed, it could have been a bad run of fabric, so he says, “I will personally pay for 2 new cushions ($130.00) and have them sent to you.” I'm grateful someone is finally helping me. He says they'll take at least a month, maybe two before you receive them. “Why that long?” I ask, he says, “Because it’s considered a part and that's just how long parts take to be delivered.” Fine, at least I'm getting new covers. Well exactly one month later I get a call indicating they will not be delivered on August 18th but on September 23rd. Okay, it’s now September 24th and I have no cushions!

I call and ask why they weren't delivered and I'm told, “No one was there to sign for it.” “Why didn't they leave them,” “That's not our policy. Someone needs to sign for it,” a policy they neglected to mention, but they did mention that, “there is only one cushion, not two, the other cushion hasn't arrived at our warehouse yet.” Can you see my aggravation at this point, this has been happening since June 3rd, I just want two new cushion covers, that's all. I was told that they would call me for a new delivery date on the ONE cover being redelivered and at that time they would have a better idea on the second one.

How can a business stay in business with such horrible customer service. I went online and there were pages of complaints, many having the tearing in the fabric with that same manufacturer. I spent $2000.00 and would like to just get my covers and NEVER have to deal with The Room Place again. What can you do for me, if anything at this point?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

We purchased a 3-seaters sofa, electric recliner, leather chair and a love chair from Roomplace on 04/29/15 and by the middle of this year the sofa started peeling off and it becomes worse and worse every day (disappointed). So frustrating because Roomplace was recommended to us by my sister who got their family living room and dining sets in 2012 and they’re in better shape than ours. Now we can't even sit on this sofa without getting peels all over our body, we got a chair cover on it recently and we're thinking about replacement but we can't afford that much right now, that was what prompted me to report the issue to customer service.

We used to have confidence in Roomplace products but not anymore, she made me understand that there an ongoing investigation about this issue, I was giving this email and was asked to send pictures along. I hope this issue will be taken seriously before Roomplace started losing their valuable customers, we will rather go to Value City Furniture next time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I got a card a couple of years ago and spent the whole card amount of 3500.00. We paid it off and I called last week to cancel the card because we really didn't need any new furniture. I was told it would not cost us anything to keep it so we did. I then decided to go look for a new bed because my current one is hurting mine and my husband’s back. We went in and was approached by Emily and she was and is AMAZING!!! I had questions about the 79.99 delivery fee and the GM kept saying he would come talk to me and he didn't. In fact he ignored me, my husband and Emily. If it would have not been for Emily we would have taken our business somewhere else. So we spent around 2,000 dollars and spent 80.00 on a delivery fee thinking the movers would help me move the frame, headboard and footboard. I cleaned a way to get the bed thru the house and moved the box spring and mattress out before they got here.

I was then informed they do not get paid to move out my furniture, then proceeded to tell me if I bought a dining room table they would not disassemble the dining room table. Very unprofessional and I was in shock how much money I spent on a bed, headboard, leather bench and a ceiling hanging light. I had to move some stuff and they finally got the bed assembled. They were in such a huge hurry they had me sign some paper that they were there delivering and then took off. I then went into the bedroom and the bed is so low to the ground I can’t use the bed skirt I just bought. So I called Emily and she said she would get me a higher foundation and since I did not refuse the foundation I would not be charged a restock fee or a second delivery fee. However if I would have had a chance I would have refused the foundation. I am very dissatisfied with his service.

My husband has a truck and we could have pick it up ourselves and had better service and saved 80.00, now we have to wait till Tuesday to get a different foundation and miss work to make this happen. I wish someone would contact me about this. I have spent a lot of money and would continue to do so but, I'm afraid I will not use or recommend The Room Place unless something is done about this incident. Emily at this store was amazing and I want to make sure she is awarded for her excellent customer service.

Well to my disappointment my husband took off a half day at his job and lost a day of pay and then when the furniture arrived the headboard had no legs so we had to refuse again and was told it could be delivered next Tuesday. Well my husband said no. He could not take ANOTHER day off so they told him the headboard could be delivered with the hanging light on September the 23rd which I will be here for that, I was then told by the store on East Washington Street that the GM has issue a 50 credit to my balance and for the inconvenience I need to call the corporate office and they will assist me in making this right. Well that made things worse. I then was offered a 25$ gift card which I do not want that's why the GM at the store gave me the 50 gift card as a credit on my account. Then the lady on the phone from corporate said that my head is on back order until November???

When the headboard was in my house on 9/12/2017 and today this is 9/14/2017 but, yet it's on back order until November. I am highly angry, upset and disappointed. I want my furniture here. When promised a phone call back like promised and the 75$ I keep hearing I am getting as a credit to my account. I'm doing this review and calling corporate like my salesperson AND sales manager at the East Washington store had instructed me to do and it only got me put on hold, told false information and then I was blind transferred to the store, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. Still waiting to hear something from somebody!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I was at Room Place in Rockford today. I learned that the faux leather group I purchased only four years ago is not covered under the 5 year service plan I purchased!!! What Room Place!!! One of your employees stated that my furniture only lasts four years!! Why are you treating returning customers with such decent??!! Why sell a five year service plan for furniture that only lasts four years??? Better Business Bureau?

Original review: July 10, 2017

First of I want say that the sales part was somewhat ok. Not great but OK. We had 2 separated orders delivered on the same date. While I was watching them set up one bed, the second person was setting up the kid’s bed. I think because I was watching they didn't screw around. Once the kids bed was set up, it look good and they left. Come a few hours later. I walk in the headboard is crooked and the left side of the bed is sticking out. I tried to push it back and it started creaking bad. I stopped. I took the mattress and the pad off and what I saw I was shocked. These "installers" assembled it at a 25-30 degree angle, where the left side of the bed was sticking out. The plywood plank on the frame were angled and screwed down as well, so that is why it was pushing out. It took me about 1 hours to disassemble it and put back together properly and with a level.

I called the store and they were rude and unprofessional and refused to help. They put me in touch with the delivery company who said they are not responsible and if I was issue, I can go kiss their ** and sue. I called customer loyalty and I was told that there is nothing they can do even though they admitted fault. They tried to blame me for not watching them closes enough or give them directions - come on - these are adults. They offered $25 gift card to their store and that is all. No apology, not refund for install services nothing. Overall very rude incompetent department. I made a big mistake shopping.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I bought a dining room table in December and it has stains on like it dirty and it supposed to be marble. They said it wasn't under warranty so they can't do nothing about it. Value City Furniture and The Room Place get their furniture made from the same manufacturer. I WILL NEVER SHOP FROM HERE OR VALUE CITY EVER AGAIN.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Absolutely never ever buy anything from this store. It is all junk, and the customer service is awful. I bought a couch a year ago, and it already has wood, screws, and everything else falling out of it. At 6 months you could hardly sit on it, it was that bad! We bought a sectional, and the wedge would not fit between the couch and loveseat. The customer service said too bad! They really are awful! I honestly hate them. Don't spend your money at this place. If you need "something to get you by" go to a garage sale! You would be better off!

Original review: May 15, 2017

Motor quit and they refused to fix it. Now one side doesn't recline because the technician took the bad motor with her. Paid $3000 for a living room set and am not pleased with the quality as the padding slips down and doesn't hold its form. Bought July 2014 and less than three years later is falling apart WITH NORMAL USE. In order for what is left to last must buy footstools.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Received a twin size bed in my mothers room. They assembled the bed with wrong foot board which is about 1 ft extra in length coming out. Due to this faulty foot board my old mother got hurt during midnight when she woke up to use the restroom. Tried requesting customer service to take the bed return. Called the manager but they have NO RETURN POLICY. The Room Place has schedule an appointment to fix the foot board for April 20th 2017. I am disappointed because I do not want to keep this BED which caused pain to my Old Mother due to the negligence of the delivery/shipping staff. WILL NEVER BUY FROM THE ROOM PLACE.

Original review: April 11, 2017

This is the worst company. Will never ever do business with them again. I have a mattress issue. It is sagging lumpy and does not spring back in place like a memory foam should. In order so they consider it a manufacturing defect it has to be 1 1/2 inch sagging. We have had four different adjusters come out and all of them say 1 1/2 1.5 and one point 2 inches. But when it gets back to Room Place they want to send another adjuster out stating that their notes and photos don't match. Then their report comes back as no manufacturing defect.

All the adjusters that have come out have stated what the measurements are but when it gets back to the Room Place it is always different measurement. No they won't allow me to speak to management. They will not send me the report on my own mattress that I paid over $2000. And they won't let me appeal it and send out another adjuster to dispute the claim. We have a Room Place account. We have closed that as of today. Our entire home is furnished from the Room Place. We have spent thousands of dollars with these idiots. My husband was just saying the other day we need new furniture for the entire house. Guess what you stupid people will never ever get my business again. We are on our way to small claims court as I type this review. Cannot wait for IKEA!!! I NEVER HAD SERVICE LIKE YOURS BEFORE!!! I HOPE YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS FOR BEING LIARS AND CHEATS.

Original review: March 15, 2017

They are literally frauds. They sell me things, lie to me in my face and later I figured out I was fooled. What the sales manager claim I was buying is not what I paid for. He told me that I am buying extended protection that covers ANYTHING that happens to my furniture for 5 years - I paid over $350 for that protection and I figured out it excludes everything, and only covers things that happens ACCIDENTALLY and they did not give me the entire protection document that mentions the entire list of exclusions. I Only got one page and nowhere in that page I could find anything about specific exclusions. The no use no lose he claimed that will refund my money if I don't claim the protection, it's a LIE too. I found out it is not your money back, it is a store credit that is valid for purchases of over 499 only and is valid only for one year which obviously they didn't tell me any of these.

I regret it every day the money I paid (over 2 grand) for the ** they delivered to me. I wouldn't have bought the furniture if I knew the protection was not what he was claiming it was. I wish I read the reviews before I went and bought furniture from them. They are bunch of frauds. I wish I could give them a negative score. They do not even deserve zero.

The Room Place Company Information