1.18/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Lombard, IL

Looking for a good furniture store?

150 The Room Place Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2019

I purchase a living room set with the warranty and I have an issue and bringing tons of excuses to not cover it. They told me, "You need to find your salesman." If you purchase anything from this company make sure you have a warranty that your salesman works there forever, funny right. My recommendation - not going near this company.

Original review: March 4, 2019

First let me state I purchased a pit group in 2016 with the extended warranty. By 2018 the coloring was washed out and the some seams were busted. No coverage for these problems under warranty. WTF!!! Stay away. Wish I could give zero stars.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I purchased a loveseat and chair from The Room Place in Lake in the Hills Nov. 27, 2017. One year, 2 months later, one side of the loveseat is coming apart behind the top pillow, but it's at the seams so the extra warranty I bought doesn't apply. And because it's beyond a year, the basic warranty doesn't apply, so I'm out of luck. The chair I bought is also having seam problems. For what I paid for these items, I consider the workmanship very poor. I will never buy from Room Place again. And will never recommend them again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I purchase furniture from The Room Place. Literally 4 days later my furniture collapsed. I inform The Room Place they did not wanna take the furniture back. They argued me back-and-forth if they can replace it and I told them I didn't wanna purchase anything else from them, when I purchase my furniture I had just purchased my newly remodeled home. However I didn't move into a week later. When I did, I notice that my hardwood floors were damaged. I immediately contacted The Room Place because that's the only furniture I had delivered to my home. They told me because I didn't report it within 48 to 72 hours that it was nothing they could do.

I was a little confused because they were aware that they did this because they actually had pictures of my floor. They also Damaged my new stainless steel refrigerator and had pictures of that as well. Their only concern is money. They don't care about the furniture if it's in good standing it is durable. I absolutely hate The Room Place. I would not recommend it and I will bash them until I receive some type of compensation a letter of apology something.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I ordered a living room set from The Room Place... When delivered, the wing of one sofas was missing. The delivery person said the missing piece would be delivered the next day. After not receiving, I called to inquire when the piece would be delivered. I was told I had to send pictures before they would deliver the piece. 1st of all, the mistake was theirs & they told me the delivery driver had already informed them the piece was missing (so why I gotta send pictures?). Anyway, I sent the picture & they said they would send the piece out.

When that piece was delivered with was the wrong color. I contacted them again, the CSR said they would send the correct color out & send someone to pick-up the other piece. I get a call the next day from The Room Place (while I’m at work) saying they won't send the right piece because they don't have picture of the wrong piece. As I said I was at work. I can't get a picture. I am absolutely furious... You would think they would have the decency to correct their mistake without making demands from their customer. Customer service I’ve ever experienced and I will never make another purchase from The Room Place again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Room Place?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My wife and I went into your Rockford Store this past weekend with the intent of buying at least one room of furniture possibly more. We knew we wanted a bedroom set that you had on the sales floor, and since we just purchased a new home were also in the market for a dining room set, a dinette set, and some occasional furniture for our living room. I can state hands down I have never had a worse experience trying to buy a piece of furniture than I did with your company.

I had gone in originally to look at some of the pieces we had seen in an ad on my way home from work in the late afternoon on 12/31. I recognize this is New Year's Eve, and people had other things on their mind, but while there were a number of what appeared to be employees sitting on your furniture, none seemed willing to make themselves available to answer any questions. Again I did not have a lot of time that day, and I attributed it to the holiday. We came back this past Sunday January 6th. We were greeted at the door by a sales person named "Jimmy", we said we would contact him when we had a question. We looked at 2 bedroom sets that we liked, and decided on one. Your floor pricing was for a queen with 1 nightstand. I asked for the price of the same set with two nightstands, and a King sized bed. "Jimmy" said he would have to go to his computer and figure the pricing.

After a very lengthy time (in excess of 10-15 minutes), he finally came back with a price that he wouldn't itemize out, but that included everything we needed including "wood protection". I wanted the price on the bedroom set first, before we did all the add on's. "Jimmy" was unable to provide this. We decided to look at a dining room set, hoping that the pricing here would be a bit more transparent. While we were walking over to them, "Jimmy" came back and introduced us to a second gentleman who was supposedly his Manager. I can't tell you his name because he did not introduce himself. The individual was going to quote "look at the pricing", and "See what he could do". Really, car dealerships stopped this silliness years ago. We said fine, let us know what you can do. We then looked at dining room sets, dinette sets, living room furniture, and still no answer from the supposed Manager.

Finally after almost 30 minutes, I found the gentleman on the sales floor and asked him if he had the price for us. He replied with "Oh I thought you might want to add more items to this, so no I have not looked at it yet". He then left to answer the question we had made over half an hour ago. Another 10 minutes went by and no reappearance of the "Manager". I finally told "Jimmy", we were done. I felt we had done more than enough to get an answer to the question. "What would this bedroom set cost us".

I can say in complete honesty, I would never recommend your company to anyone who might be shopping for furniture. The experience was at best incompetent, and at worst rather sleazy. (Here is our price, oh don't like that price, let me get my manager and see what he can do). Please, for the next poor uninformed person who enters your store, drop the car dealership sales practices, be fair with your customers, and please hire people who will answer a simple question with a timely answer.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I purchased a sofa and chair in April of 18. From the start, when anyone sat on the sofa it made a terrible sound as if it was ready to collapse. I had a technician come out and he put screws in the wood underneath to "reinforce it". He said if it continues it would need replaced. Well it got worse. They sent another technician out in December who said he would have to come back and put two more feet in the middle and more wood underneath since it looked to him to be missing from the factory, and will likely collapse over time. I received a call from The Room Place a week later saying they were not doing that or anything more and will not replace the sofa either. There has been no overweight people sitting on this sofa, myself weighing only 185 lbs. It's an embarrassment when having company over. I tell everyone who sits on it where it came from and to never buy anything from The Room Place.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We bought a nice vinyl fully electric couch and loveseat. The first loveseat was incorrect from what we ordered so we refused it. The second one arrived, appeared to be correct (2 pieces snapped together fully electric). Delivery guys seemed to be distracting us and I know why! One side is darker and smooth and does NOT match the other side of the couch! Immediately called the store manager and they refused to have the delivery guys come back. Said we had to turn in a claim with pictures. We did... They called and denied it as it wasn't a defect in their opinion! Customer service person who 'goes by Camille' wouldn't give her last name or provide the refusal in print. We have turned this over to the Attorney General's Office.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Hello, The reason I am reaching out to you is regarding a complaint I have about The Room Place. While Googling to see if anyone else has stories like ours I stumbled about your NBC 5 Responds story regarding peeling furniture. My husband and I bought our first home in Elmhurst, IL in July of 2016. We were moving in in August so we got right to furniture shopping. Before we closed on our home we had shopped around different furniture stores to see what was out there since this was the first time either of us were furnishing a house. While we were at The Room Place we had picked out our living room set. We had spoken with a store associate and we were never led on to the fact that we weren’t buying anything that was not real leather. We did not want to make the purchase just yet since the 4th of July weekend was upon us and we assumed there would be better deals then.

We placed our order of our Power Reclining sofa, loveseat and recliner along with 4 piece bedroom set. Our “leather” living room furniture came out to $4,000 and that is after the sale price. We spent a total of $5000 counting the bedroom set. We also purchased the PREMIUM PLUS LEATHER 5 YEAR PROTECTION PLAN. Within the last year and a half we have notices orange spots, crackling, and fading on our living room furniture. The color of our furniture is burgundy to as you can imagine the orange stands out greatly. I first contacted The Room Place in September of 2018. I called customer service and she told me to email askus@theroomplace.com. So I went ahead and emailed them. They told me to email pictures of each item in its entirety which I did them too close up so they denied them and then I did them in their entirety and then denied them again because the photos were too big.

October 6th was the last time I sent photos. I hadn’t heard anything as of October 24th so I decided to email them asking what was going on and I told them I would report to the BBB or news if I wasn’t going to get an answer. 3 days later they said the process takes several weeks. I finally got a Voicemail asking to call back and that was on 11/21/18. I called back a couple days later due to the fact they called the day before Thanksgiving and we were busy with family. I was told they would have to call me back because the associate who left me the message was not in. It was basically a week of phone tag due to my busy schedule of work and currently both my husband and I going through infertility treatments.

I finally spoke to an associated last night and she told me notes were added to our file with an update that we were passed the 1 year manufacturer warranty and our “Five Year Premium Leather Plus Plan” doesn’t cover that so we will give you $200 and at first I was like OKAY… I guess that’s fine and then she asked if the credit card was still active and I didn’t want to accept the money right away so I said, “I don’t know I will have to check.” Once I thought it over $200 is nothing compared to the $4,000 dollars we spent in basically fake leather couches. $200 dollars doesn’t even cover the protection plan we paid for that apparently is worthless since it doesn’t cover peeling which is due to something that isn’t our fault.

If I would have known what this so called leather was we would have bought a fabric couch for A LOT cheaper. There is also a sharp structure underneath the corner of the couch that has poked a hole through the leather and you have to put a pillow there so it doesn’t keep poking us in our ribs. I wish I could buy a fabric couch now but I can’t get myself to by new living room furniture knowing we spent $4000 just two years ago. If there is any way you can help me and my husband it would be appreciated more than you know.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

The delivery service that you use is horrible. Just throw away the ENTIRE delivery service department. My order was scheduled to be delivered on a Tuesday between 9-1:30 pm. At 1:20 pm I received a call stating that somehow my furniture was damaged by the driver and that I needed to be rescheduled. Which it was rescheduled, for that following Thursday between the hours of 8:30-11:30 am. Again I took off work to receive my furniture.

At 10:30 am I received a call from the driver stating that he was 45 min away. By 11:20 I had not received a phone call or anything so I began to call the driver (whom English was extremely broken so communication with him and trying to understand where he was, was extremely difficult) who stated that he was outside my home which was not true. We later figured out that he was in Chicago 45 min away from my home due to a "glitch" in the system that sent him the wrong address. (Which could not have been true due to the address being correct on all of the confirmation text sent to my phone, even from first delivery attempt.) At this point I'm extremely livid because as I stated before I took off work to receive my furniture for the second time.

I began to contact the store and Ms. ** the manager of the delivery department whom apologized and stated she would refund my delivery fee and ensured that my furniture would be delivered the same day now between the hours of 4-7 pm. Again, I'm waiting. 6:45 pm no phone call from anyone. I call the driver back. I didn't get an answer. I called the store and the office manager was just as perplexed as I was. He went out of his way to try and figure out what was going on even putting a phone call in to the driver himself (which the driver stated he knew nothing about making another delivery attempt that night).

At this time I began to call the 6307838000 number. Spoke with a representative whom had to put me on hold for a while to contact the driver and figure out what was going on. She came back and stated that the driver was 45 minute away from me. Make a long story short I didn't receive my delivery until after 8 pm that night. For a company that has been in business for years and has a reputation for good quality service the level of service I experienced is unacceptable.

The Room Place Company Information