1.71/5

Need a good mattress?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

510 Simmons Mattresses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We purchased the high-priced Simmons Black Natasha King mattress a year ago from the largest furniture dealer in Oklahoma City and they have suddenly discontinued sales of Simmons brand without warning. When I called to inquire about a Warranty, they gave me the incorrect number for Simmons and washed their hands of the return. About a foot and a half of the top corner of the mattress looks like it has been permanently crushed towards the floor which makes sleeping extremely uncomfortable. Also, the mattress itself still has not broken in after a year of sleeping on it.

For the price paid, we are unsatisfied. We have had alright luck in the past with lower priced Simmons bedding but not this time. Since the store will no longer honor a Simmons Warranty, after speaking with Simmons customer service, I learned that Simmons will only offer a replacement and not a full refund or even a partial refund if you go down to a coil/pillow top and away from memory foam. This is frustrating seeing as how we do not want the same terrible mattress experience that we had before. If we go down in price, the price difference is just lost.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I bought a Beautyrest Silver Linder Cay queen mattress in October. The first night it was not exactly like sleeping on a cloud. The second night I was still undecided about it. The third night I felt the lumps, it was hard and lumpy. I bought it through Evine.com, and if you call to return it anywhere within 30 days you get a full refund. After 7 days I called to return it. I consider myself lucky that I hated the mattress so soon, rather than wait past 30 days and be stuck. The Simmons warranty is an obvious scam. They should tell you before you buy that if your frame doesn't have enough slats or that you don't have legs going down the middle of your bed (who has that?), those points would void the entire warranty.

It took a few weeks for the pick up to happen. My back was killing me each morning, so I came up with a good idea. I have an old, plush sleeping bag, which I folded in half the long way. I put that on top of the hideous Beautyrest mattress and slept on that. That took care of most of the pain until they could pick up the mattress. I have read several reviews here where people with bad backs are stuck sleeping on this garbage mattress. Please, get a thick mattress topper to take away the pain until you can get a different mattress.

Oh…and don't be victims. Print out the latest pages (or all) of these reviews and take them to an attorney. Ask if they will work pro bono (free) until they can get some sort of justice for all of you in a class action lawsuit. Please be aware that Serta is the same company as Simmons. According to their Wiki page, "In 2012, Simmons and its sister company Serta International were acquired by American private equity company Advent International."

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I purchased a Beautyrest Silver Waterscape mattress from Macy’s. My daughter sleeps in this bed, and she is 60 lbs. The edge of the mattress has completely given out. It collapses when you sit on the edge, and you literally sink and roll off the edge. I didn’t find these reviews until after this happened, and I thought I should search bad reviews related to Beautyrest mattresses. Looks like a lot of people have had this same issue, unfortunately. Someone is coming to assess the mattress this coming week. We have a good box spring and a very nice bed with 5 support slats, so it’s obvious - especially with all of the other complaints about this same issue - that Simmons has a problem with the foam and defective construction of their mattresses.

I will be asking for a full refund. I have a Serra Perfect Sleeper that is still amazing after 27 years. This is exactly why I have kept this mattress. The new mattresses seem full of foam and cheaper material. Thank you for all of the reviews. I will show them to the rep who comes out to assess this mattress. I’m glad I purchased on sale and did not buy the extended warranty. Mattress covered under manufacturers warranty, so we’ll see whether Simmons will honor their warranty and do what’s right. Obviously bad construction. I will not accept a replacement.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

It's a totally a huge mistake to buy the Beautyrest - extreme firm mattress, the mattress was sink after a month (even extreme firm), I should have checked up this website before I bought it. My last mattress was Slumberland and it's last for 10 yrs...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Purchased a king size Simmons Beautyrest set from MACY’s in March 2017 and was assured by the Macy’s sales person that with the purchase of the WorryNoMore protection plan I would not have to worry if body depressions or other issues showed up that the mattress would be replaced. Just over a year into having the mattress the body depressions started showing up. I finally contacted Macy’s and they sent out a technician and based on the yardstick like measuring device they determined there was no problem. I have shown the picture of that mattress to many people at Macy’s and there is an obvious problem but MACY’s MANAGEMENT WILL NOT DO WHAT’S RIGHT. They are taking advantage of their customers and outright lying to them about the protection plan. I’ve read other comments similar to mine and the Simmons company is selling a defective product and Macy’s supports them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Simmons Mattresses?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Bought a Simmons mattress about 2 years ago. About a year into it the mattress starting sagging in the middle, getting lumps, and the whole mattress leaned to one side. Okay??? So we call Simmons and they send a third party tech out to take pics and whatever. Simmons contacts us a few day later and says that the mattress is bad so they are going to give us a new one for free, but you have to pay for the shipping cost $85. Okay not too bad. They had some people deliver our mattress that was very unprofessional, they were supposed to take the old mattress but didn't, they also gave us no paperwork or anything confirming receipt of the mattress. A year into the new mattress same exact thing happening again. This time Simmons said they won't cover this mattress because we only had 4 slates on our frame. We will never buy from Simmons again, biggest waste of time and money.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

My last 4 mattresses have been defective! They were by Serta, Simmons and Beautyrest. All the same company. Macy's refunded all four mattresses. Please contact me if you are interested in joining a class action suit. THIS MUST BE EXPOSED!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We bought the top of the line mattress which was super comfortable in the store. The bed that was delivered moments ago, however, is not only extremely lumpy but appears to have two low sleeping spots, just like my old mattress with a high spot in between. It's as if they threw padding on used springs and dressed it up all pretty. The mattress was apparently stored on its side so the inner padding bunched up on one side. If I could add a picture you would be able to see the HUGE lump on the left side. It's inches higher than the rest of the mattress. You would NEVER believe that this is a BRAND NEW mattress. The low spots are more difficult to detect.

The manufacture date on the label is 9/12/18 so apparently it's brand new... But, if I wanted a lumpy mattress with pre-set low spots I would have kept my old mattress - which I have been trying to have returned to me since they pulled out of the driveway this morning. UPDATE: well it appears that my old mattress is just "gone". BEWARE of the quality and customer service. THESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

$300+ to get some better sleep after getting ripped off by Mattress Firm in 2015. Seemed fine for a while, but then the sinking began. First it was some parts of the mattress. Did everything, flipping it around, everything they told me to but it continued to sink. The sinking is so bad that I cannot sleep on this disaster anymore. I purchased the item in October of 2017 and it's September of 2018. The thing at the rate it's going should have been replaced months ago. As for the warranty they market, forget it. These are set up to make the warranty void. Companies like Simmons should be shut down for the pain and suffering they put on people. They rake in money, but their products are pure garbage and they do not back these products up. I've lost more days due to bad sleep because of Simmons and I will never get them back.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

We bought this bed and a new support base in 2017. It was nice at first, comfortable. Stayed that way until the 120-day trial expired. Then it seemed that overnight the pillow top disappeared and the mattress is sagging terribly. It has sloped to the edges with a hump in the center. Not a problem if you don't like your spouse, but a struggle to not fall on the floor. RC Willey of SLC said it isn't bad enough body impressions and it's made to conform to your body. Isn't memory foam supposed to return to new? Yes It's Junk. Do not buy, you get No help after sale, no actual person. No picture of a bed is going to show you the pain we have and lack of rest we're getting.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

After 28 years, we purchased a brand new $1800 Simmons Platinum Firm Beautyrest mattress. We were told that our existing box spring was fine. We have gone through two new mattresses. Both immediately sagged on the sides. Neither my husband or I are large or overweight. Both of us are now experiencing neck, back and shoulder issues because of this mattress defect. I also noticed that the tag that came on the mattress with the warranty info has a different name than the sewed in tag. We purchased this mattress through CFS, a fundraising event at our local high school. So far they have honored the warranty and replaced the mattress. I hope the second time is easy, but after reading these reviews, it seems that every mattress of this type is defective. It’s not memory foam either.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I bought a $2899 Beautyrest Black mattress from US Mattress last September 2017. I found the pillow top was detached this February 2018. Simmons sent a inspector to see the mattress. And the inspector teared the pillow top and told me this is really common, he will report it. He also kneeled on the mattress to check the sink problem. Then he lifted the mattress and checked the support, he told me the support is very strong. However, Simmons refused to change or fix my mattress because the support is inadequate. It's a $2899 mattress and we just sleep on it for half a year. I will not recommend any friends purchasing a Simmons mattress.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Very dissatisfied. Our King size Mattress was replaced by Simmons Canada in Dec. 2013. Not even 2 years went by, our 25 years warranty/15 years replacement mattress started to sag. We called Simmons about it and they did send an inspector to inspect the mattress. After the inspector finished inspecting the mattress and the box spring, his exact words were, that people like him and I are on the heavy side and these mattress wear off is normal, but was told to keep an eye on it and if the mattress gets any worth's to call Simmons back,

In March of 2018 I called Simmons Customer Service. They went from offering me to replace the mattress, if we were willing to purchase a set of new box spring and pay for delivery charges, to telling me that our mattress was out of warranty, ( 1 ) because the box spring didn't match ( 2 ) didn't have a bill of sale ( 3 ) an a bunch of other excuses. How can a company sell a product and don't stand behind their product. A 25 years warranty/15 years replacement product, should not have to be replace in less than 5 years.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased a Simmons Beautyrest mattress and ever since have had one problem after the other. The first problem was that the combination of box spring and mattress was too high on my bed. I voiced my concern to the salesman but he assured me that there would be no problem! They replaced the box spring with a bungy (sic) board. I now wake up every morning with a backache and the firmness of the mattress is slowly seeping away to the point that it is sagging in the middle. I have only had the mattress for six-weeks! Buyer beware. These mattresses are either defective or poorly constructed. Either way PLEASE DO NOT BUY this mattress as you will surely be disappointed every morning!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I purchased this mattress (Simmons Beautyrest Platinum) from Star Furniture in Houston Texas. The first one I had for 6 months. At the top of the mattress it developed a deep dip. My neck and shoulders were killing me. Called Star salesperson and she told me to contact their customer service dept. They sent someone out, they said it was defective, took it back, went back to Star and picked out the updated version of this mattress. The salesperson told me they knew this mattress was defective so they changed it to this version. After 3 months same problem. They sent someone out again and he told me it was because I did not have the proper frame and support. Bought new frame and supports, spent 189 and 100 to have it installed. The dip appeared again.

They sent an independent company to inspect the mattress this time. He took the bed completely apart and measured, took pictures, etc. Told me it was defective and had a ten year warranty. Star contacted me today and said it did not meet the defective guidelines. The dip only measured 1 1/2 inches and it had to be 1 3/4 inches in order to be defective and to wait about 3 months and call them back to reinspect the mattress. In the meantime my neck and shoulders are killing me. I do not look for anyone to do anything about this mattress. This is a very large furniture store in Houston that my entire family has shopped at the years. I do believe they are more of a problem than Simmons. Done with Simmons and Star. Do not purchase this mattress. The inspector told me he has inspected many and they are all defective.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I bought this during the Mattress day Sale. Issue 1: It came a bit slouchy in the middle but I figured it would get all right once kept on a bed. I have kept it on a brand new Frame bed, then I have shifted it on a box spring and now on a combination of both. It still sags in the middle. This makes me think that it's a defective piece. Issue 2: This is way softer than what the Spec says and I wake up with a pain in my middle and lower back everyday. I am sleeping on my couch every alternate day to be functional. I am still under the 120 day warranty and would like to replace it. I provided a review to the site, but they didn't surface it. I submitted a 120 Night In-Home Trial questionnaire but no one has responded to it either. My warranty runs out in 3 more days (bought on 2/20), and I am supremely disappointed by this treatment. Thanks.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Firm mattress that holds up well. My wife and I noticed the difference right away from our previous mattress. Very comfortable. Price was very reasonable too. Always a good night's sleep.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I loved going to bed when bought. After 8 years, back muscles spastic. It is a pillow top, but you can't flip them any longer reducing life of mattress. Looks brand new, but a night's sleep no longer there.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was looking and laying on mattresses trying to find the softness I needed, Simmons was the 3rd one I laid on and just loved it. My back said yes, my body said this is the one. I said, “When can you deliver it.”

Original review: June 5, 2018

Our Heavenly Bed mattress is almost 9 years old and is just as comfortable as it was when we first bought it! It feels so welcoming every time we get into bed. Like a cozy comforter!

Original review: June 4, 2018

Normally I love the Simmons brand but this choice was not a good one. I would never buy another mattress that does not have the capability to flip from one side to another no matter the brand. That mattress is less than 5 years old and is most uncomfortable. My sofa is more comfortable than my mattress.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Beautyrest is a very high quality product that comes in numerous styles and firmness options that cover a wide-range of sleeping needs. The Beautyrest brand is durable and comfortable. You can see the high level of workmanship in the product compared to other mattresses. The Beautyrest brand has endured many years in the market and this is a testament to their expertise in creating high quality products that endure.

Original review: June 1, 2018

First they delivered the wrong one and we thought we had no choice. It was horrible. 5 times we made a complaint. 5 times they came out. Let us know it wouldn't do us any good to keep calling. 1300.00 for a dud of a mattress, that they would not honor a 10 year warranty. We only had it for 1 1/2 years. Tell people to double check the store's reputation also.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I saved for a long time to buy a top quality mattresses. I purchased a Simmons Beautyrest Mattress through Evine shopping network. Never received a copy of the warranty after requesting it 3 times. Within 2 months the mattress was lumpy, sagging and very uncomfortable. I contacted the warranty company in Sumner, Washington. They took 2 months to send a rep out who took pictures and inspected the mattress. The inspector said Simmons would get back to me within 7 days. 14 days later I received an email that said they would not honor the warranty because the frame was not suitable. I talked to several reps and told them that I asked upon purchase about frames and they said my frame was fine especially since I purchased the box spring as well.

Final outcome I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the main Beautyrest company in Georgia said they did not have to honor the warranty even though the local office said the bed frame was just fine because they were making the decision. When I contacted Evine shopping network and told them what was going on, the customer service rep said they would review the issue and get back to me. After paying a sales price of $700 for a $1200 mattress, they issued me a $20 credit on my next purchase. Being a senior citizen money is tight and I am stuck with the worse mattress I have ever had. Shame on Simmons and Evine. I will never do business with either one of these companies. Horrible Costly mistake!!! Do not buy Beautyrest.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have Beautyrest brand and had for a years now. Very firm and sturdy. It's comfortable and easy to sleep on. But my mattress set is worn down and I'm in need of another.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought a brand new Simmons mattress black label from Macy's the total cost was $3,115.34. I spent $2,309 mattress, $240.00 per box and $158.00 for the worry no more warranty that is worth nothing plus $167.34 tax total = $3,115.34. I am disappointed that this mattress is breaking down after 5 years of use and the company was unwilling to do anything. We have had countless nights of sleep because of this set. We are by no means, overweight or large people. I find this very unacceptable after paying this amount for this brand. All I wanted to do was exchange for something firmer.

This mattress is making it hard for us to sleep. However, if you lie on it, it pretty much completely depresses. After the first year we slept on it this mattress it has steadily declined in comfort and firmness. It is now sinking so badly at hip level, that it provides no support at all. They put all sorts of gels and foams in the mattress which actually makes them worse. They are selling cheaper products for more money. The handle popped while we were turning the mattress and the bottom is coming apart.

We can no longer tolerate sleeping in it. At first I thought it was just my back, but having slept in a hotel a few nights a couple of times while traveling and waking up with no pain, I am confident that it's definitely this mattress. I simply am writing this review to warn others. I purchased a new Sealy King Firm instead and will donate this mattress to the Salvation Army. They will never get any money from me and I will post this everywhere. Simmons could have helped me but you did so much more by doing zilch. BUYER BEWARE OF PILLOW TOPS BY THE SIMMONS MANUFACTURE.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My doctor recommended a softer mattress than the one I'd been using - I now have a "medium" pillow top which I find just right for me. My only complaint is that it is not reversible - all I can do is rotate it 180 degrees.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Simmons Beauty Rest does not hold shape. After about 1-year the mattress became uneven and lumpy. I would never purchase nor recommend Simmons mattresses to anyone.

Original review: May 26, 2018

The mattress is quite old now and needs to be replaced but overall very nice and has held up over the years. There are no tears or stains and looks just as nice as it did when delivered.

Original review: May 25, 2018

This was sold as a premium mattress and was expensive. Within months it had collapsed on either side where we sleep with a clearly visible "hill" in the center. We complained to the selling store, Hudson's. They sent techs out to measure the height difference twice in the first year. It was never enough they said. Our back pain tells us it is way too much. The mattress is way too soft and offers no support. When we sleep at my brother-in-law's on a very hard bed we have no back pain in the morning. Our Beautyrest Platinum is absolute junk. And, neither retailer nor manufacturer will stand behind it.

Simmons Mattresses expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Simmons has been making mattresses for over 140 years. It offers a wide range of options and has sold over 100 million mattresses. Many of the nation's top hotel chains use Simmons mattresses.​

• Variety: It offers a wide selection of beds in various price ranges, including the Beauty Rest line and the Curv line.

• Warranty: Customers can opt for a warranty covering all defects on any Simmons bed.

• Furniture: In addition to mattresses, it also sells other bedroom furniture, such as headboards and bed frames.

• High quality: Simmons has an upper-end line providing extremely high-quality beds, such as lasting memory foam and BeautyRest options.

• Best for: Simmons mattresses are best for professionals and young adults.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Simmons Mattresses Company Information