2. Homeowners
  3. Mattress Brands

Mattress Warehouse

Mattress Warehouse
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.36/5

Mattress Warehouse was first opened in 1989 in Maryland. Our first full-time salesman for Mattress Warehouse is still with the company and has since been promoted to district manager! The first Mattress Warehouse store was a mere 1200 square foot area, and the first warehouse was simply a self-storage locker located in Frederick, MD. We have now grown to over 150 locations, and are well on our way to becoming the largest sleep chain in the industry. We are even able to offer customers the convenience of buying a mattress set, sleep accessories, and furniture-related items through our online store. For over 20 years, Mattress Warehouse has made our customers-our number one priority. Call us at 1-800-Bed-Sale or visit us online at www.SleepHappens.com.

Mattress Warehouse Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Warehouse?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mattress Warehouse and Sleep Outfitters?

Original review: June 8, 2020

28 Dec 2019, salesman Glen, very nice but didn't tell the whole truth. Said I had 30 days to return. Did not tell me I had to keep it for at least 30 days before returning. Did not tell me that the base was NOT RETURNABLE. I paid 2,196.94 assuming what I was told was true, or should I say what I was NOT told. The mattress was fine but the mechanical base did not work for me. When in an elevated position the bedside table was behind me and no access to anything on that table, lamp, medication, radio or phone. A very lengthy discussion to solve the problem. Ali got involved.

I agreed to accept a box spring instead of the mechanical base and ordered a 9 inch spring. They came with a 5 inch box spring so another few weeks to get that solved. Looks like I paid 900.00 for a box spring. Add that when the first delivery was made they set up the control mechanism that gets plugged into an outlet and the wires were between the bed and the opposite wall leaving about 6 feet of exposed wire I would have to step over all the time. At age 79 it was a bit dangerous for me.

Original review: June 2, 2020

This mattress lost its support. It's like sleeping in a hammock now. Unfortunately, the warranty requires a full 1-1/2" of depression before they will do anything. It recovers to about an inch of sagging. It's measured using a Plexiglas plate that weighs nothing to evaluate the sag. So, it has nothing to do with support. The warranty language basically excludes everything unless it hits 1-1/2" sag. So even though we sleep in a hole, because it rebounds to less than 1-1/2" with no weight on it, they denied my claim. I would not even be wary of this mattress, I would avoid it like the plague. Do not buy a Kingsdown mattress, period. It will sag and lose support, but the top layer will rebound just enough to deny your claim. REGRET, REGRET, REGRET.

Get buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

If you would need to return your purchase you are in for a big disappointment. They require you to keep the item for thirty days, and another ten to fourteen days to return your money. Take note of all of the poor reviews.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I purchased a new king mattress and box springs from the Winchester, VA, location on 12/14/19. My salesperson was extremely knowledgeable, professional and polite. However, on the day of the delivery, 12/20/19, things took a very ugly turn. Despite having already paid for the removal of the old mattress and two box springs, the delivery guys refused to remove the old mattress due to three urine stains caused by my pets. These were very old stains, mind you, were not "serious" stains because they had been cleaned immediately, and how no odor to whatsoever.

I was told that the mattress was considered a bio-hazard and the delivery guys could not put them on the truck with other mattresses. Never mind the fact that these were old stains which had no odor to whatsoever. Never mind the fact that ALL new mattresses and box springs come delivered SEALED in thick plastic wrapping. Never mind the fact that nothing was said to me about this when I placed the order. And, to make matters worse, these same delivery guys who refused to take the mattress, offered to "help me out" by taking the mattress if I paid them each $10 and paid the disposal fee of $30, which is apparently the disposal fee in Fairfax Station, VA.

Upon calling customer service in Frederick, MD, the customer service manager, John, couldn't have been any less concerned and more cavalier about my situation. The fact that the delivery guys were willing to take the old mattress for an extra $50 was, as John stated, "between me and the delivery guys". I then asked John to pick up my new mattress and box springs and give me a refund. His reply was, "that's not going to happen". I then stated I would contact the BBB, to which he simply stated, "go right ahead".

Now, folks, I ask you, is THIS the kind of company you want to support by purchasing their products??? I purchased the previous mattress and box springs from this same company. Obviously, customer loyalty means nothing either. Save yourselves a lot of heartache, folks, give your business to a company who truly appreciates their customers, not only during the sale, but more importantly, in customer service. Needless to say, I will never make a purchase from Mattress Warehouse Sleep Happens again. Their customer support is even lower on the food chain than some of the sales people you find at used car lots.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I had a terrific experience with Mattress Warehouse in Macedonia, Ohio. Jim, the manager, was simply awesome. He was very knowledgeable, patient and straightforward. It really was the best customer service for any purchase I've made this year. Thank you so much Jim at Mattress Warehouse in Macedonia, Ohio.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I made the mistake of purchasing a mattress set from the Arlington Virginia's Wilson Blvd. store. The salespersons were very nice (until sell final) but their headquarters or management office in Frederick MD follows unethical practices and their policies during an exchange process were robbery!! Exchanged and uncomfortable mattress. Salesperson said I had to keep the first box spring though it was a different brand from the matress set I chose for replacement. I asked why because I had paid the difference of the two mattresses and the box spring came with it. I was shown a policy that stated only replace mattresses. I was forced to purchase a separate box spring of the same brand as the second mattress so as not to affect the comfort of the more expensive mattress set. I guess that means the Wilson Blvd. location salespersons adhere to the same unethical practices as the company itself.

At that time it was my option whether to keep the first box spring since it came with the mattress and I had paid a separate cost in a separate purchase for a second standard box spring. The first one was a low profile box so I decided to keep it in case needed later and was not giving Mattress Warehouse anything for free!! Allegedly Mattress Warehouse does not resell mattresses or box springs that are returned but the mattress was under a month old and the delivery guys were covering it and taping it up as if to fully protect something they were allegedly destroy. I question that. Anyway, the salesperson was supposed to make notations about the box spring and me to let them know whether I was keeping it or them taking it. In the end, I had to battle with a rude Frederick MD dispatcher and her manager.

I called the Wilson Blvd. store location for help since the Frederick MD dispatcher refused to. I got the delivery persons out of the house so we called from outside. The managers amd store salesperson was USELESS!! I showed or was a separate purchase for the box and had nothing to do with the first order, the one the first box came with. They wanted to take everything back and rocket at which time I knew I would not see another delivery any time soon. They threatened to call the police. I had the receipts but did not want the drama in the neighborhood. The stores salesperson kept reaching out to his manager who remained useless. I've never purchased a mattress from one of these places before and I would highly recommend that no one does. The mattresses purchased were not the inexpensive ones either.

They took the box spring I purchased the first time which is stealing!!! If they do not resell the box springs and mattresses why were there so aggressive in their approach? They should be investigated further to see if they are working with the laws mandated for the proper disposal of used mattresses and box springs. I will pursue further actions. Buyer beware though there are not a whole lot of store options with online competition! At least purchase from Macy's or a regular furniture store. Policy is better at Macy's and reviews can be subjective where comfort is concerned. My complaint is of an ethical nature.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I bought my first out of 4 mattresses in 1 year they were all labeled defective. Now I am fighting for my 4th one that has sunken in in 1 month's time and the other side is up hill. There service manager John ** is the one that runs this company and makes all the decisions there. I have spent 25 hours going back & forth to store & home getting them checked by inspector and them delivering and taking back the matterses. Now the last that is a Stearns & Foster nothing like in store at all that has sunken in is not defective. Buyer Beware. Do not shop at any of these stores.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

We purchased a mattress at the Glen Burnie store. After a short time of having the mattress we noticed it sagging. Went back to the store to have our mattresses replaced which was still under warranty. Tonya had our account and information confused and mixed up with another person's information. Everything was recorded wrong. The name, address, etc. She was extremely rude to us and accused us of fraud knowing that we were the correct customers and owner of the mattress. She blamed everything on us when we had no control on the information she put in their system. Rude and unhelpful. Took off work when mattress was supposed to be delivered but once again everything was all messed up and mattress was never delivered.

When calling the store Tonya insisted we called and said not to deliver our mattress. She argued with us and would not help to solve the mess up. Even after contacting the district manager they didn't seem to care that we were very inconvenienced for their mistake. Never got an apology and very disappointed with the service and customer care.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

The $631 Biscayne mattress was horrible. I returned the first mattress within a few days because it sank. I only weigh 115lbs. The replacement gradually began sinking. I attempted to use the warranty to get a new bed. Wow was that a joke. I had my receipt, and the mattress had no damage from me due to ordinary use. I received a letter that I was receiving store credit. I attempted to use the store credit, and the run around started. Additionally, Mattress Warehouse wanted another $100 delivery fee in addition to the runaround!!!

I went to Walmart and ordered a new mattress for $150 with FREE delivery. Yes Walmart sells mattresses. I know you're thinking Walmart, mattress??? All of this stuff is made in China. The name brand labels and costs are the only difference. You buy a name brand mattress in the store and you're paying for marketing, lease space, sales people, etc. You buy a "generic" mattress online from Walmart, you are buying a knock off mattress at a 70% discount.

Anyway, since it's Walmart, and they have a strangle hold on their suppliers, if I am not happy, Walmart will pick it up for free, no questions, no forms and no hassle. I either like the mattress or send it back for FREE and order a new mattress and love it. At the worse, I throw it away in two years and get another one. It will still be cheaper than the $632 I spent at Mattress Warehouse.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I was sold a low quality off-brand product for top dollar, and when it didn't work for my needs, I had to spend hundreds to get right mattress. My wife and I originally purchased a king mattress from the Roanoke, VA - Valley View location 4/27/19. We explained to the salesman that I wanted a soft mattress while my wife needs something firm and supportive for her back problems. We were sold an unusual off-brand mattress (Cheswick Manor Bay Pointe) at top dollar ($1600).

After the second night sleeping on the mattress, my wife was in so much pain she vomited all morning. We went back to the store to explain that the mattress we bought wouldn't work even though the salesman had assured us we'd love it. We were given a "comfort exchange," but to do this we were charged a fee in addition to a second delivery fee. Neither time were we informed of the return/exchange policies nor were we informed about the $50 delivery fees. We were also never given the option to pick up the mattress ourselves, which we would have done to avoid the expensive delivery fee. We had to pay another $850 to complete our comfort exchange to a Sealy Copper II medium mattress in mid May 2019. We explained to the salesman that we were now $950 over budget on this mattress and that it absolutely needed to work for this exorbitant price.

The salesman assured us that we would love the mattress and that we would not have any problems. He also assured us we were getting a great deal on the mattress by spending $850 more (total of $2450), but when I looked the mattress up online after the fact, I found it can be bought for $1999. We explained to the salesman that we only purchased the mattress from Mattress Warehouse to begin with because my wife had purchased a Beautyrest Black from them 10 years prior and loved it. The salesman told us that they no longer sell Beautyrest black since it is an "inferior product," which was a bit confusing since it is a highly trusted luxury brand. It seemed he was telling any lie necessary to sell us a product. We trusted this retailer to recommended to us and sell what is best for us, and we shouldn't have trusted them at all.

We tried this mattress for several weeks only to find that my wife was again having back pain, and I wasn't sleeping well either. Frustrated, we called the location several times and even called corporate to find out what could be done. We want to be refunded so that we can go purchase something that will actually suit our needs. However, the local and corporate offices have told us that they do not refund anything purchased from them, and our only solution will be to push two twin mattresses together of different firmnesses. We explained to the local and corporate offices that we are uncomfortable with paying $2450 total for two twins that we are supposed to shove together (leaving a dip in the middle, a "no man's land") when we spent that kind of money to own a king mattress.

Additionally, the corporate office did not call us back as they said they would, and the local office told us we'd have to pay an additional fee to exchange this second mattress on top of having to pay the difference of two twins as opposed to a king. Buyer BEWARE. The business practices of this retailer are deplorable. They do not stand behind their product, and they tell lies and use misleading statements to rope you into an expensive purchase that isn't worth what you've paid for.

Every other reputable mattress retailer I've found stands behind their product with a 100 night in home trial, free returns, and typically free delivery (Purple, Nectar Sleep, Casper, Sleep number, etc). Not to mention these retailer have highly rated products at more affordable prices. My wife and I had a better night's sleep on a $50 air mattress than on something from Mattress Warehouse retailer that cost thousands. We have asked corporate for a refund, and we've received a no. We will never shop here again- avoid Mattress Warehouse!

Mattress Warehouse Company Information