1.09/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

99 Crate and Barrel Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Unbelievable. Ordered an $800 rug which was delivered by FedEx while I was at work. Clearly damaged; several holes in the packing wrap and one showed that the rug underneath had been damaged as well. Rather than even unwrap it, I called the customer service number several times as it instructed on both the packing slip and website... Waited over an hour each time and no one ever picked up. Emailed the customer service number and no reply. Finally got desperate and shipped the rug back at my own expense ($181) via FedEx.

I was initially intending to ask for a replacement rug but after this experience I just want a refund because if a replacement rug arrived damaged I never want to go through this experience again. I’m sure they won’t refund my shipping costs, but they better refund me the entire price of the rug or I’ll be contacting the BBB. I would have never expected such a big and well-known company would have such atrocious customer service. I should have read all these terrible reviews... Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I sent a mixing bowl to my daughter. It arrived 12/8/18 and was broken. I have called Crate and Barrel four times and each time waited on hold for over 15 minutes. The recording said each time my wait time would be over 20 minutes and to call back later! I emailed the company per their instructions at least four days ago and no one has responded. When I attempted to return the item online, even though I checked the box that says item arrived damaged, it says I must pay $11.95 in shipping and my daughter must carry the big box back to a FedEx drop off location. This is terrible, terrible customer service. I have an account with Crate and Barrel and I am going to cancel it. I need a new bowl sent asap in time for Xmas.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a Dutch oven at Crate and Barrel almost 6 weeks ago. The item was supposedly on stock. My credit card plus the shipment fees have been charged immediately. I still have not gotten my item. I wrote many emails and always got the same answer. "The item is preparing for shipment. It will be there in 3 to 5 days." Almost 6 weeks later it is still preparing for shipment! I asked for a cancellation of the order and for a refund and they said it is not possible. They have to ask the management. I chatted online with them 3 times and my son called and waited more than an hour on the phone before he gave up. I think the customer service is terrible and I am thinking about writing a letter directly to the CEO to share my frustration. I will never buy another item from Crate and Barrel again!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

You should think twice before ordering an item online. I ordered a table 10/30/18 and the email said delivery would be early December. I received a text from them to call and I am still on hold 43 minutes later. The first person listened but did nothing and now I am going to a higher level. So they have $800 of the $1300 fee and they fail to deliver. Their excuse is that is the Holiday season, but my comment it was not back in October, unless you count Halloween and this is turning out to be a nightmare. Up to 50 minutes on hold now!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I ordered a dining table and chairs from CB on 9/9/18. When I placed my order, I was told it would deliver in mid-October. That's fine... One month isn't terribly long to wait for the "perfect" table. Mid-October arrives, and I've gotten no updates from CB, so I called them. Customer service then tells me it's been back-ordered and I should receive in early November. Ugh, okay fine. November comes, and I still don't have any updates from CB.

Once again, I call them, and customer service tells me I'll get it late-November or early-December. UGHHH. It is now 12/11/18 and still NO UPDATES from CB whatsoever. At this point, CB's terrible service has hindered me from hosting any parties for: my housewarming, Halloween, my birthday, Thanksgiving, and now Christmas. You would expect a big furniture retailer like CB to be more on top of their vendors, and more on top of their customer services and communication to their customers. This whole experience has been very frustrating, with lots of time wasted waiting (waiting for my furniture...waiting on the phone to speak to CB customer service). And the waiting continues...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Placed an order for a coffee maker that was started as In Stock. 14 business days later still no indication of when it will ship. Be prepared to wait an hour on the phone if you want to reach customer service. When you do speak to someone their, they simply parrot their last email sent to you. Useless. Won't even allow cancellation of the order. Don't waste your time with this company. Bunch of shills.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We received our Petrie Sofa that was poorly finished. The back cushions are wrinkled at the top and because the cushions have buttons the fabric cannot be flattened out. Additionally, the sofa's left arm is 1/4" higher than the right arm that is so noticeable next to the end tables. C&B suggested we keep the sofa until they hear back from the manufactures "Shenandoah". That was 2 weeks ago and unacceptable. In hindsight we believe that C&B’s advise to us to keep the sofa until the issue is resolved was a ploy to not pressure Shenandoah to replace the sofa and thus forcing us to live with this uncertain situation. We have been told the C&B has a poor customer service policy and our unresolved issue reflects that policy correctly.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the worst experience, place the order online for two Smeg appliances and on the 23rd of November and I am still waiting for one of them even though that I was assured the delivery will be done last week. One phone call last week for 45 mins and now while I am writing this review, I am still on hold waiting from Lisa from customer service to find out what is the status. This company is a joke and it should be out of business!!! I told them to let me know if the item is coming or not or I will cancel the order... They just lied. They don't deserve the business.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I ordered a Christmas ornament online, was promised delivery within 6 days. As of this review my order still has not shown up, in fact their website shows the order status as still being processed. I contacted customer service online chat, and all the representative would say is, "Your order will be shipped." When I asked when she could not give me a date. In my opinion not a very trustworthy company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Ordered online Black Friday 11/23, still no package or ship date. Spent 500.00. No one will validate the shipment when online ordering. Said packages will be here within 4-6 business days. It’s 12/4. Nothing. Charged my CB card. Not paying it off until packages arrive. The CS just “sits on a throne of lies” - Buddy the Elf!!! Bankrolls online orders and doesn't fulfill the time they state on their site. Only ordered from them because I needed more plates of the same collection. Didn’t have an issues with them other times of the year. Obviously they need a BCP back up! Horrible all over the place.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The company offered great Cyber Monday deals but did not build up the infrastructure to execute. I have waited over a week for my product to even leave the warehouse (it still hasn't left). Customer services tells you, they are pretty busy, we will email them to rush it. Please. I am sure you are going to do that. Never ordering online from them again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

On 8/10/18 I purchased a sofa + custom love seat from the local C&B store in Torrance, CA. Delivery took place 12 weeks from purchase date which I expected; however, the wrong love seat was delivered. I refused its delivery and waited for a call from their warehouse or third party vendor (at this point I don't know as local store told me they couldn't contact them on my behalf). The only call I got from the warehouse was 6 days after on a Saturday just to tell me that the person who received the email with my issue would look into it on Monday -- when I asked why nothing was done the prior days, I was told "there are other clients" this person has to handle inquiries for!

Monday came and got no call. I called the local store to share my frustration and to see if they could do anything about it or to offer some type of discount -- was told the store manager was abreast of the situation and would be contacting me. The only person I ever spoke at store was Emma; no sales manager. No discount was offered and ended up canceling item that was pending. At first I thought they felt the amount of money I spent was of no consequence but based on other reviews, I see that it's a general problem with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Because Crate and Barrel is such a huge company, I would have never assumed that the customer service they provide would be SO disorganized. Not only does it take forever to get a hold of an agent when you call the customer service phone # provided on their website but when I FINALLY got through, the agent "helping" me told me I had the wrong number and needed to call the international line to return my items for a refund so she transferred me... Another 40 min wait to get through to someone only to get THE SAME EXACT AGENT FROM BEFORE TRYING TO TELL ME SHE NEEDED TO TRANSFER ME. I don't like losing my cool but I had told her that I had waited well over an hour and wasn't willing to waste any more time.

She told me she would email the international team personally and have the issue fixed asap. No email was sent out and still have heard nothing about my return. This is the most disappointing service I have ever had and it really is a surprise considering how big of a company. If you're looking to shop online here, make sure you are Positive you want the item because chances are you are going to be stuck with it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Ordered furniture on 8/15/2018. They immediately charged my card. It's 11/20/18 and I still have not received it even though I've made 3 payments on my credit card from them. They are now telling us it got picked up by a shipping company on 11/14, but they can't provide any updates. No tracking, no trucking info, just that it takes between 2 and three 3 weeks to get delivered after its picked up. Are you kidding me! This place is a joke. Horrible customer service, horrible shipping, no communication. I'll never order furniture from them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Crate and Barrel has the worst online order and customer service I have ever seen anywhere. I orders two different items and paid for separate wrapping (extra charge for that of course). Items came in one box wrapped together. So, I get in touch with their customer service who resent the items, promising to refund me the money I paid for the wrapping and extra box (8 days later, still no sign of the refund). And guess what, when the second order came in, they were AGAIN in one box. Now the second mishap arrived a day before I was to give those presents to two different people which forced me to spend Saturday driving around to find adequate boxes to wrap the presents separately so that I can make my friends happy. Of course, I contacted C&B again and they offered to send me a 50.00 dollars for the two wrong orders. I turned their offer down because they are the one who twice made the same mistake in the same week.

They seem to be very oblivious or I would say, not concerned at all for their mistakes or for wasting my day off to find presentable boxes and wrapping, and they said they will forward my emails to their Home office to find a resolution, adding that I will be contacted within 48 hours. 96 hours later I still haven't heard a word from their home office. So I sent another email and this time, the next day someone called me, apologized, saying the email was not sent to them until today.

So now I am looking at customer service that lied or was lazy, not sure which is worth and still no resolve for two orders that they didn't fix. Home office upped the bribe to 100.00 gift card (that's what they called resolving the waste of my day off and ruining two perfect gifts for my friends). Yes I turned down their offer, but also told them social media will hear about this. It is not a question of revenge at all, a company like C&B proved to be unorganized, liars and seem to not care about their customers and that is what I am showing here.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Not sure how many stars to give it since my table is not yet delivered. I ordered in January and confirmed delivery for October 26 for my first home. Excitement has turned into frustration. The delivery has been canceled three times and I have wasted three vacation days from work on this debacle. Latest cancellation was for today. Received a voicemail on Sunday confirming delivery. Second voicemail yesterday morning canceling delivery, then a text confirming delivery, then a text canceling delivery. Customer service has me on hold for an hour and tells me they need to get back to me and don’t. I now want to cancel table. Problem is I bought the Laredo chairs specifically for this table. They were delivered but I don’t want them if I am getting the runaround about the table.

Probably the most ironic and humorous thing was that after I rescheduled due to contractor issues I was told I was going to be charged storage fees but as a courtesy they waived them. Amazing that I would have to pay storage fees for a piece that no one can seem to find. I really don’t think anyone cares especially since they have had my money for months. I am an architect and if I gave this level of service I would have been canned a long time ago.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I ordered this order on Sep. 20. 2018. According to your delivery policy these supposed to be arrive next week. I even start to pay payment. This is fraud. But, I haven't receive any notice from company. I spoke with Lea (or Leah) agent at 3:00 PM Nov. 2. 2018. She is not kind at all. She just pass other agent, that doesn't answer. Your customer service need to be improved a lot. Give me my order status.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I ordered two counter stools 4 days ago, and the confirmation said they were shipping in late October. The item description said they were shipping in late December, and when I just called to check the likely ship date I was told February!! So, I tried to cancel the order because that is too far out. They told me that the cancellation has to be within the first 3 days, and it has been 4 days so I can't cancel. So, they're telling me to wait until February, but I can't cancel in October, 4 days after placing the order, when they have pushed the delivery date out to an unacceptable time frame. I have bought many items of furniture from C&B, but they are *very* hard to do business with, and in the future I would only consider buying something in stock and promised for immediate shipment. I might not even do that, because I don't trust them any longer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I normally purchase inexpensive furniture. I decided to shell out more for this ottoman. The first order arrived without warning. Luckily I had called to check status to learn it was being delivered that day - no tracking information was available on the site. It just said ‘shipped’. It was delivered to a contractor working on my front steps and it was defective. There were rips down one side and the top and bottom did not align. I called customer service again (with very long wait times) and they said they’d send a replacement. They said that we would coordinate a pickup for the 1st one after the replacement is received. I’d have to call back again. Sigh.

The replacement one arrived with issues, also without warning as the order didn’t update with tracking information. I had to call customer service to find out AGAIN that it would be delivered to me that day. Luckily I was home both times. Zero tracking information again. This one had a caster broken upon repair and again, the top and bottom didn’t align. Poor construction.

I had to coordinate a pickup for these two ottomans and package them myself which was very challenging. They told me FedEx would come but instead it was an unmarked truck. Here we are 2 weeks since pickup and I’ve contacted them twice for a refund. The agent let me know that she’d submit the request which I was also told the week before. So so very frustrated. It’s been hours of time wasted and a completely frustrating experience and they won’t give the money back for their products for 2-3 weeks AFTER the warehouse checks them. Never ever again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I placed an order on a sectional sofa online on 23/8/18. When I checked out, it clearly says "Arrives: 2-4 weeks". The website still displays this today. This information is also consistent with what the staff told me when I visited the Chicago store. However, at the end of the 4th week, I received a call notifying me the item will leave the warehouse that Friday 9/21/18 and I will receive it in one or two days after that. I cancelled the plans for that weekend and waited. Nothing. I called back and was told that I had to wait for a call from the carrier. It was out of the hands of Crate and Barrel.

Days later, the carrier called and said the earliest date available is 10/3/18. This is way beyond the 2-4 weeks indicated on their website and I paid $299 for this shipping service. I find the information online SUPER misleading. I called Crate and Barrel again to explain the situation and was on hold forever. When you are told "the wait time is less than 7 minutes", it's never less than 7 minutes. Then the customer service people told me "a normal person would understand it means 2-4 weeks after shipping". Gotta be kidding me. Obviously I'm not normal enough to shop with Crate and Barrel.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I bought a desk there 4 weeks ago, and 4 weeks they delivered the legs to the desk with no date for the rest of the desk. The management of the store is a disaster. After 4 weeks they now saying they won't offer the sale price and if I want the rest of the desk I have to pay the difference. Do not visit this store.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We paid $5,789.45 for a dining room table, 8 chairs and a hutch from Crate and Barrel on June 12, 2018. As of September 19th our order is still not complete. Crate and Barrel has missed two PROMISED delivery dates for the table and today they can't determine if the table is in Denver or Chicago. Customer Service and the warehouse delivery contact have no clue where the table is. I am amazed that their IT and Customer Service departments are so poor.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I ordered outdoor furniture from Crate and Barrel 4 months ago. It arrived today missing half of the cushions. Upon discussing this with their representative, they shirked responsibility, blaming on the warehouse. They had no helpful solution to offer, and made no apologies for the wait plus the incomplete order. Not to mention, the furniture looks cheap and like I paid $2,000 for an outdoor sofa. Poor quality, poor customer service, no more business from me. Go somewhere else for your furniture purchases!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I purchased 2 CB2 lamps through another company. After not receiving a shipping notice for several days, I contacted them and was advised that there was an issue with the order and the lamps would be shipping out shortly but they could not tell me when. Knowing I needed the lamps ASAP, on Thursday morning, August 16/18, I went on CB2.com and ordered 2 more directly from them. I paid the additional $12.95 for 2 day express shipping which the order said would arrive on Monday, August 20. FALSE - they shipped them on Friday evening, GROUND, and the home delivery for ground is actually closed on Mondays.

Customer service did not resolve this issue and could not explain why I paid for, and was promised express 2 day shipping when that was impossible. They also didn't explain why a 2 DAY EXPRESS order placed at 7am on Thursday, didn't get picked up until Friday evening. Either way, FedEx Ground doesn't deliver on Saturdays or Mondays. Complete waste of my time. Had I know that, I would not have bothered to order 2 express items, I would have waited for the original order. Avoid at all cost!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Don’t use gift cards online. Actually, I don’t recommend doing anything online. Their online ordering system failed twice when I tried to make a purchase with my gift cards, but still took the money off my gift cards. I called customer service and then said it takes 24-48 hours for the balance to refill. Um…what? I decided to call in to make the purchase using a different gift card, which went through. But a week later and after numerous unanswered emails and useless customer service calls they tell me that I actually used my other gift card to make the purchase. Well, the order recipe says otherwise and why would both of my gift cards be zeroed out? Still waiting to have this resolved, but I have to call in every day. They have made it very clear that they don’t care. Even after generating a couple thousand in revenue for them.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Crate and Barrel has taken my money and time and delivered sub-par furniture. I ordered an $8k custom Axis II 3 piece sectional. 12 weeks after ordering, they were confused why they only had 2 of 3 pieces made. The delivery men were reckless with the piece and it showed up damaged. 4 weeks later I get an email saying the fabric is being recalled for flammability. I had ordered 2 nightstands. I had to have them delivered twice because they were damaged. Do not order with them, it is such a headache.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Went to Crate and Barrel to buy a TV console in early June. Was told that the one I wanted was outsold and they will have a new stock in the middle of the month. I paid it full waiting for it to be delivered to my address by July. I waited and nothing was delivered yet, and no communication as to why. So I called asking why. The representative told me that it will be delivered by early August. Was mad and cancelled the order and was told that my money will be refunded within 21 days.

After waiting I called again, and the representative told me that after reviewing my account she discovered that the Comenity Bank manager did not authorize the refund and she does not know why, and she pretended that she was very sorry for everything, and told me again that the money will be in my account after 21 days. This is my money and they dont want to refund. I kindly advise those out there who want to buy from Crate and Barrel to think twice when doing business with Crate and Barrel/Comenity Bank. I personally will never go back there.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was promised delivery of a console table by the end of July, which I wanted in time for a party. The item does not become available for delivery until beginning of August and when I go to schedule I have to wait another two weeks. Customer service was horrible, making up excuses for the length of time. They made zero apologies for not being able to deliver the item when promised and then made no attempt to remedy the situation.

I was told that the trucks were full for the week I needed the item and the next representative said the item would not be able to arrive in time from the warehouse it is at. However, she never even looked up the current location, had no idea where the table actually was and simply did not want to help solve the issue. Linda the supervisor actually lied to me about why I could not get the item in time. I am VERY disappointed and it is laughable to be charged $99 delivery fee for this hack service. I will be canceling the item and no longer giving my business to C&B.

Original review: July 31, 2018

NEVER, EVER ORDER THIS. I ordered this daybed 7 weeks ago, choosing the color and style because I needed it ASAP and the website assured me it would be ready to ship right away. Only AFTER Crate and Barrel took my $ did they inform me that they wouldn't deliver it until the end of the NEXT month - almost 8 weeks later. I should be clear, I do not live in the wilds of North Dakota. I live in Charlottesville, VA. One hour from a Crate and Barrel store. I was unhappy, but said Ok. What can you do? They called to arrange the delivery time, but then called back two days later to let me know they hadn't delivered the furniture to the shipment site in time; they'd have to rearrange delivery...for August. On a Friday. When I'm at work.

To compensate me, they'll pay me back the money they already collected 2 months ago for shipping the bed they never shipped. $150. I mentioned that Wayfair will deliver furniture in mere days. That I order from Article, in CANADA, and get my items more quickly and with better customer service. Overstock.com gets my items to me in less than a week. That they could HIRE A GUY WITH A TRUCK AND PAY HIM TO DELIVER MY PIECE, as this is their mistake and, at this point, is pretty egregious. I have not heard back, other than the incredibly generous refund on that shipping. Thanks, C&B! Perhaps you could stop spending all that money on shipping me catalogs and instead use it to improve your customer service. Crate and Barrel won't even post my review.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Ordered chair May 18 when it was in stock; CB2 shipped it immediately. When I didn't receive it they claimed it was "lost," but by then it was back ordered until, supposedly, July. They strung me along for months as I called multiple CS agents, waiting on hold an hour each time, to get status. Also tried email to CS. Each time the agent (Alejandra, Nilsa, Carl, Linda, Sue, Caley) promised to call me back with status but never did. Each time the agent promised the replacement chair in late July.

Caley even gave me her email address so I could check on ETA. July 26 I emailed Caley for status. She replied that chair was not back ordered until late Sept. I replied in email "PLEASE CALL ME." Within 30 seconds, instead of calling she sent an email vacation responder and ignored subsequent emails. I reported her and the other problems to management and canceled the order. I no longer think Crate & Barrel is a trustworthy furniture company. Their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced.

Crate and Barrel Company Information