Crate and Barrel

Compare Furniture Stores

Research top Furniture Stores recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Unless this company completely revamps their delivery service they will go out of business. These are the days of Amazon, where you don't have to wait 6 weeks, then wait another 2 weeks once it's in the warehouse to get a delivery day, then not be able to schedule a time slot, then have the time slot not work for you and have to wait another two weeks for a new delivery day. It has been over 2 months and now the new time slot again doesn't work for me. Rather than wait two more weeks I now have to pay someone to be at my house. This is absurd. No other company operates like this. I hope they go out of business. I will NEVER buy anything from this company again.

When I ordered the item online, it stated it was IN STOCK and ready for delivery to my area. On the very DAY of the scheduled delivery (only one hour before, in fact) I get a voicemail that states "The warehouse did not let us know the sofa did not come in time for the delivery." This is also after I got a confirmation phone call of my delivery two days before. What kind of service is this? Horrible!!

I received a gift for Mother's Day. It was a small kitchen appliance. Because the item has too many little pieces, which was unpractical for me, my husband and I decided to return it the next business day (the gift was purchased on Friday afternoon and we wanted to return it on Monday that's two days later). Cherry Hill NJ Crate & Barrel Store refused to accept the return without a reason. Be aware that unlike many other stores that carry exactly the same items, this chain refuses returns based on the excuse that the item is used.

In our case, we didn't even have time to try it, yet they used the same excuse. I called the customer service multiple times, chatted online. I found their customer service very unprofessional as well. They are not serious and don't value the customer. They sent us to the store after writing to the CEO for store credit. The store refused to give the credit despite the case number the CEO has given. I will never shop from Crate & Barrel because of their unreasonable customer service. Every step of the customer service irritates you so that you give up on your rights. Very cheap attitude behind its upper scale and deceiving look. Please be aware customers!

I have strolled around the furniture floor at Walnut Creek and rarely see anyone on the second floor to assist me or to ask if I need assistance. It is a stark contrast to the bottom floor, as they are always very helpful and greet you with a smile. That said, I found two employees talking in a huddle and approached them for assistance. It felt as though I encroached on their very important discussion. I was informed the item I wanted was located at the warehouse and it would be delivered to the store for a Tuesday pick up.

By Tuesday late afternoon, I called to find out what the status was. I was informed that I misunderstood and deliveries are never received on Tuesday and I just need to wait for them to call me and no specific day on when that would happen. Seriously? How about..."We are terribly sorry you were given a specific date. Let me call the warehouse and find out when they plan to deliver it. I will follow up with you in 24 hours". This is my last purchase at this store.

Purchased Axis ll Queen Sleeper Lounger in custom color. Salesperson was knowledgeable and patient in helping me choose custom fabric and color. Went downhill from there. Customer support was abrasive, incompetent and frustrating, causing much wasted time and a negative overall experience. Got a text listing a number to call and schedule delivery. After being on hold for a while was told I had to call the store instead as the purchase was not made online. Perhaps the text should have listed the store number? Store person who picked up the call was rude and dismissive, insurance documentation follow-up was time-consuming and required multiple emails and calls. When I received a call and email from the delivery company, they were equally rude and incompetent.

Though I told salesperson, and everyone else I spoke to after that delivery had to happen between certain hours per my building requirements, they scheduled and showed up whenever they felt like it. Driver whined and complained about everything, elevator wasn't big enough, light fixtures in the hallway was an issue. My sofa cushions were thrown in the building hallway on a dirty furniture blanket. There are over 800 luxury apartments in my building. How is it that their furniture fits in their apartments and my movers did not have one ounce of issues with bigger furniture? Guessing they were fishing for a sympathy tip or trying to justify their delayed delivery time for the day.

Sofa is okay, not worth the $3,600 spent. Love the color and fabric and while I expected firm, I ended up with cushions that feel like one is sitting on a board as there's a bed underneath which was not the case when I tried it at the store. Sigh, never will I ever purchase any furniture from Crate and Barrel ever again. They put on a facade of providing quality furniture and service when in fact they're a very low quality provider. At the end of the day it's just a piece of furniture so it's not worth the aggravation and frustration. Crate and Barrel's CEO and Management should be fired.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

We went to Crate & Barrel in 2014 and purchased a sectional sofa, leather chair & ottoman, side chair, media cabinet, dining table, & six upholstered chairs. Yup, it was a lot...we'd never bought furnishings all at once like that. Mostly we got the choices we wanted except for the dining chairs. I wanted a bench seat and had planned for a built-in banquette for the other side. They had the bench I liked on display. But foolishly we allowed ourselves to fall for the hard-sell of oversized upholstered (i.e. very expensive) high backed chairs. Yes they were beautiful and comfy but totally not practical with kids and cats!!!!! My mistake. I own that.

Then there were numerous failings with items in that purchase upon the initial delivery: the media cabinet was warped on top, the side chair had an iron support spearing out the back that gouged my wall, the leather chair and ottoman were mismatched dye lots, the sectional had a cushion that was mis-sewn, spewing feathers, and the second leather chair had a scrape in it that looked like it had been made with a careless box-cutter - at least I knew enough to refuse delivery on the obvious flaws and the others were eventually replaced. So we took that as a good sign, but should have realized that all those flaws and being oversold those chairs was actually just the opposite.

We went back to Crate & Barrel to turn what was a mother-in-law suite into a media room for our teenage boys now that their grandmother had passed. It's not a huge room and we made that explicitly clear upon arrival in the store that we needed an apartment size sofa. I had the room measurements with us and all of the sofas were too long. A saleswoman showed us one that was up against a wall and at 88" would just fit. We sat on it and felt that it wasn't extra deep and looked at other possibilities including the area rug it was sitting on. It took a long time to get a salesperson who was able to arrange the sale and we again went over our needs and the issues with the odd size & shape of the room and the need for small scale furniture. We ordered the sofa and were disappointed to learn of the 3 month delivery wait.

Three and a half weeks later we had painted and prepared the room and were pacing out the new furniture when I looked up the sofa online for the exact dimensions. I could not believe that this supposedly small sofa was 43" deep and called the salesman. His immediate response was, "Well yes, it's an oversized piece." I was dumbfounded. How did we come in for an apartment size sofa and wind up ordering an oversized piece? We had sat on it, it was not extra deep. "No, the extra space is behind the cushion in the frame." he said. But, it was up against the wall, we wouldn't have seen that. We had reviewed over and over the room dimensions with them, (it's an L shape) how did they think this was what we were looking for? There was no way this sofa will fit in that room with anything else.

The salesman said he would see what his manager would do. Then the runaround began. All the manager did was reiterate their policy that we were responsible for 50% of the $3700 cost of the sofa. I searched and searched their products online and eventually found they actually did sell an apartment size 'Davis' sofa that was only 78" long and 36" deep which would have been the perfect item for us in the first place. I told them we would be fine with swapping for the smaller sofa and then applying the additional monies to something else, so not expecting a refund or reimbursement.

Plus it means we would have to start the 12 week clock all over again but at least we would wind up with something we could use. I reminded them how we stood by them after six of the items we purchased were damaged or flawed and still came back to their store. If that doesn't define a good customer what does? The manager said she had to talk to her boss, because our sofa was almost ready to deliver! I was surprised since it isn't due until mid-May but no, she insisted it's nearly complete and we are obligated to purchase it or lose 50% of the cost.

After three consults with the boss, the manager offered to reduced our commitment to 30% of the price or $1,110 which she thought was a huge concession... despite the fact that they will turn around and resell that $3700 sofa and keep $1110 of our money too. Needless to say we can't afford to donate $1110 to Crate & Barrel and will have to go through with the purchase of the sofa. I called today to find out when it will be delivered since she had said it was almost ready. The girl looked it up on the computer and said it is still scheduled for mid-May delivery!! They lie. They cheat. They tried to steal. Shop elsewhere. There are too many furniture stores with excellent Customer Service to give C&B a dime.

Table cloths - After paying over $100 for this paper thin cloth I washed it. It is a wrinkled hot mess. It's practically see through and wrinkled to the point that even ironing doesn't get the wrinkles out. Do not waste your money. Since I washed it they won't accept it for return. Do yourself a favor, avoid this place.

I went online to buy some bar stools that I saw in a restaurant & really liked the look of. After getting them in my house, I see that they are totally "school house" looking. After paying $60 for shipping and handling, on a $417 purchase I feel like there should be SOME type of return policy that would make me (THE CUSTOMER) happy in order to keep me as such. NOPE, they want me to pay for return shipping at the same/additional $60. So, I am spending $120 on an item that I was not happy with which seems completely like a ripoff. Though I do understand the concept of making money, I'm going to cost them much more than the $120 I'm wasting just in negative reviews online, maybe they don't understand the concept of "word of mouth" in the 21st century. Don't do business with these people.

Scheduled delivery and nobody didn't show up. I was at home. For schedule next delivery they want you to pay. Calling them is nightmare. Nobody knows anything, they will switch you between departments just for fun. Scam, scam, scam.

I had ordered a sofa from Crate and Barrel in August during their upholstery sale. What a mistake!! The salesperson told me that it would take 8 weeks to get the sofa. I had bought it for my daughter because she was in a house going to school and had nothing to sit on so I thought we can wait 8 weeks. At 10 weeks I have not heard from anyone I reached out and contacted the store at Southpoint. I was told that we were quoted 10-14 weeks and that was just an estimate. It could take longer. If I had been told that I would had never purchased the sofa. She said because it was a sale it could take longer. I made a mistake and paid in full and they wanted 50 percent of what I paid if I cancelled it. That is over $1000.00!!! Are they crazy? Never heard of $1000.00 restocking fee for something that has not been made yet!!! Spoke with manager and store manager and they could not had cared any less. Will never purchase from that store again!!!

I ordered considerably high amount (within company limits) gift card as a wedding gift for my friend. I received an email on the wedding day that Crate and Barrel could not processed the order. Email recommended that for I should contact customer service. When I contacted the customer service, they could not tell me why the order was not processed. When I asked them to reprocess it since this is a time-dependent gift, they said they cannot do so. When I asked them explanation, the exact reply was: "If you really want this gift card that bad, then go to our store and buy it".

Why would I ever deal with a company like this? Why would I ever risk to deal with their customer service? Why would I ever have my friends and loved ones to provide business to a company like this?? Things go wrong in everyday life, but we are all try to fix our mistakes along the way. Even when you cannot do anything, you apologize and say that you are sorry. Do NOT patronize this business. I do not want anyone to have the same experience and get into embarrassing situations because of incompetency of this company and their employees.

I ordered a chair from C&B and decided to pick it up myself at the distribution center which is an hour away because delivery cost $99. I received an email that the chair was ready for pick up. The day before I emailed C&B when I would be down to pick it up. The morning before I left to get it, I called the distribution center to schedule a time for pick up and they said come down anytime. Drove down there and the item was not there and it had never even been ordered (I had ordered it online). The warehouse said that perhaps they would give me free delivery, but it was up to the store. The store called and said that I had to pay for delivery, but what they would do is give me a gift card for the cost of the $99 delivery.

I don't want anything from C&B. This was their mistake and they should cover the cost of it. Bad customer service. Previously I had ordered another piece of furniture and paid for the $99 delivery. I had to agree to the delivery time 3 days in advance even though they couldn't tell me what that time would be. If I had to change it because I wasn't available, they would charge me an additional $39. I will never shop there again.

Very disappointed with this company. I bought a sectional last month in June and the salesperson sent me an email saying there might be a price increase and to buy soon. I was in love with the sectional so I purchased it. I received it a month later. A month after receiving it there was an email stating that there was an upholstery sale. I called them up to see if I could get the difference from the sale. They refused and said I didn't qualify. I spent a lot of money on this couch (more money than I should have). Not impressed with the customer service or the return policy. If it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to return it ($129.00 shipping fee and a 25% restocking fee), I would have returned it on principle alone. Once you buy, they have you wrapped around their finger. Buyer beware!!! For an upscale company like Crate and Barrel, I expected more. I'm never shopping there again!

Consumer Increased Rating!

This complaint has been resolved. Crate & Barrel contacted us and the salesperson (Chris) is very nice and professional. He made us feel that Crate & Barrel does CARE about their customers, no matter you buy full price or discounted price furniture. We will continue to buy furniture from Crate & Barrel.

Lin of Furlong, PA on

Original Review

We ordered a discount dresser from Crate & Barrel King of Prussia store. It was a final sale. Two days later, the site manager simply "informed" us the piece of furniture was broken by their mover. There is nothing they can do about it. Since it is a floor sample, all they can do is to "cancel" the order, and let us order a brand new one (which is two times more expensive). I understood this might be the reasonable solution. But, the way that manager talked really pissed me off. Her attitude was like "Don't you know about human error?" So what? NO sincere apology at all. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced. She even implied that "if you are pissed off, then don't ever buy from Crate & Barrel anymore." What kind of retailer professional is like that??

This review was for one of the sofa from CB. Very soft cushions and great fabric. However, it wasn't so comfortable "sitting down" on it as there was lack of upper back and neck support. It was pretty comfortable for couple hours "lying down" on it. I only used it for about a week with my friend, but cushions were getting too soft in couple areas already showing some wrinkles and wear already unless I shake them vigorously. I was sure that this sofa wouldn't be so "presentable" after using for about a year, so I wanted to return it as I don't want to spend this much for a sofa that will just last an year. I thought return pick up is included in the delivery fee, as there was no information regarding a return pick up cost anywhere on the returns/exchange policy. Well, there is a $99 return pick up fee. In addition, there could be a restocking fee that starts at 25% of the cost of the sofa.

If the sofa is not in a good condition after using it for a week, then it's customer's fault? All I did was use the sofa with my friend watching a TV for one week! I called them twice regarding this issue, but both times, agents said a furniture specialist will give me a callback. It's been couple days, they haven't called me or left me a voice message. At the end, I didn't want to even call them again, as the waiting time is more than an hour, and they won't call you back. I emailed them too, no reply yet. It's been couple days. Anyway, at the end, I gave up on trying to reach them about this issue and decided to never deal with Crate and Barrel related companies for good for obvious customer service issues. I tried to post this review, but CB denied it by saying "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines." I'm done.

We had a lovely experience in store and decided to go way over our budget and purchase a couch from Crate and Barrel ($3600). We figured for this price we would get treated well and get a good product - in the end what a nightmare. We set up delivery 2-3 weeks after purchase. Not bad. The lazy driver shows up with a child and refuses to unload the couch. Tells us it's heavy and needs more people. The store calls me and says that the warehouse told them the couch wouldn't fit.

After going back and forth and not getting straight answers our couch isn't delivered and they tell us we will be charged additional delivery fees for more men to come back. We complain about this and have to wait another 2 weeks for a rescheduling. 4 men eventually show up, but only 2 move the couch and they showed up with 2 more children in tow!!! The couch wouldn't fit upstairs and it all went back onto the truck. The store calls, issues a refund but charges us $290!!! I feel sick to my stomach. I would never ever recommend this store to anyone. They will rip you off and cause you major heartache. I want my money back, not a gift card to lose more money to this store. They have been inconsistent, not straightforward and caused us too much grief and stress.

Deer Park store committed to 7/19 delivery of item. Drove 130 miles roundtrip 7/21 to learn purchase not yet shipped. Sales rep queried manager to substitute display model. Store manager denied request citing preference to maintain site display vs. resolving C&B shortcomings. Big miss on fulfilling delivery commitment and opportunity to correct service failure. No offer to discount for unnecessary transportation cost. Cancelled order.

Purchased a sofa in a custom color, was told it would take 10-11 weeks until the item would be ready for delivery. In reality it took more than 15 weeks. When they informed me that the date had been pushed back, they gave no explanation. I had to email them back and ask why it was being delayed. They did not provide a discount or other compensation. In all honesty, if custom items weren't non-refundable, I probably would have cancelled my order at that point.

When the item was ready for delivery I selected a delivery date and they said I would get a call 2 days in advance with the time window. They also said that if I needed to reschedule, I had to do so at least 3 days in advance to avoid a rescheduling fee of $39 or so. There were no issues with the delivery time but I have to say that it is absolutely ridiculous to expect me to cancel/reschedule prior to knowing the time of delivery. To me this is just another indication of their poor service. As for the delivery itself, their movers broke a light fixture in my living room while carrying the item in. We'll see how getting that part resolved pans out; I am sort of dreading the process already. I'm certainly not going to purchase furniture (or anything else) from C&B again. Lesson learned.

Simply was trying to have a part replaced for a planter that's finish was incredibly non durable and scraped off with the slightest abrasion. It took weeks to get replies and kept getting runaround they would help resolve. Send pictures here, send pictures there, and I did. Finally I had to give up because it should not take over month and 1/2 to still be waiting for replies and how this might get resolved. I cannot understand how a company like this can think they can get by with such poor lack of service.

Since I ended up canceling my furniture order, this review addresses customer service and business practices rather than product quality. I placed an online order for an in-stock desk and a small "X-bench" that would sit under it. The bench was an "in-stock-plus" item, meaning that it was a stock piece with a custom fabric top. When I received no follow-up from the company -- for days, I contacted them online. I got a reply telling me I must "confirm" my fabric choice (had, in fact, done so when I ordered) and should contact a store. Got a snippy employee who was no help, so I phoned their central number (not a physical store, but apparently a phone center), and got another rude person. Was told that the "in stock plus" bench was nine weeks out! Nine weeks, and they did not bother to tell me that when I ordered?

They were going to hold the in-stock desk for more than two months so that a small item, which could have been sent UPS, could go in the truck with it? Don't you think this might be a good thing to tell customers when they order, C&B? Other companies sell versions of the X-bench, and they ship them in a box, by UPS or FedEx. I cancelled the bench order and was going to proceed with the desk delivery, but when I asked for an adjustment on the delivery fee (for the cancelled bench) I was told it was a flat fee for all items.

Given that I had been charged more than the advertised $99 flat fee, and considering how I had been treated, I decided to cancel the desk as well. I cannot support companies with such poor business practices and such disrespectful employees. Having read the complaints here about C&B's poor quality control for furniture, I think that I may have dodged a bullet, so maybe it's a good thing this happened. But heads up on ordering anything semi-custom from C&B. I have received FULLY custom furniture in less than nine weeks from far better sources than Crate and Barrel.

I purchased over $11,000 worth of furniture for a condo I bought. I contacted Crate and Barrel because the fabric on my sofa is fading in streaks and is very unattractive even though I only use this residence 2 months of the year and cover the furniture when I am not there. The real use on this sofa is 10 months and cannot be used much longer in this condition. I did not expect the company to reply that the cushion covers would cost me over $100 each to replace. So I have to spend about $550 to fix a problem that they should have covered.

I ordered a set of bowl from Crate and Barrel website. And the largest one came out broken. I thought it was probably FedEx carrier's fault and contacted customer service for a replacement. They sent one a couple days later and it had a line on the coating going from bottom center to the edge and down like the first broken one. I looked at item's web page and I saw a customer photo showing same size same location crack. They have a defective product and they send it to people knowingly. Probably hoping they wouldn't bother returning or asking for a refund. It was what I did but because I used a gift card they are offering me another gift card with amount that will be useless because I will end up paying shipping if I want to use it. This company will intentionally sell you a defective product hoping you won't bother returning. Be aware!

I have purchased two sofas from Crate and Barrel in March 25th, 2014 for $4000. I have never been more disappointed at furniture pieces in my entire life. They look very worn out. They stain very easily. The seat cushions look very seated, and the fabric is ripped after only two years. I have seen sofas that are over 20 years old looking better than these two.

I have called Crate and Barrel Customer Service, and the Representative told me "We cannot do anything for usage" and after she has seen the photos she said "they look abused". I am a very clean person, maybe a bit OCD, and I have never felt less helped than with Crate and Barrel. I am a normal person that uses furniture in a very caring way. I have furniture that is over 10 years old and looks brand new. It is definitely not me who "Abused" these sofas, it is the cheap material that Crate and Barrel used that makes these sofas so terrible. These sofas were not cheap, so I feel cheated in every way. I am definitely never buying from Crate and Barrel again. There are plenty companies who take better care of their customers.

I, also, ordered a diner set off of the gift registry. I also asked for (and paid for) the gift box option. It arrived promptly, and as the shower was not for several weeks, I just set it aside. Several days later, I received another box from Crate and Barrel. I set this aside also, assuming they have sent me the appropriate gift box for the set. I wish I had read the recent reviews. This week (a week before the shower) I opened the shipping boxes. The first shipment was indeed in a gift box, the second contained the salad plates that went with the set, wrapped in paper and and bubble wrap. No way to add it the the gift box. How is this in any way acceptable. Yes, they refunded the ($5.50) gift box charge, but I had ordered it to save me time and now I was forced to run out and get yet another box for the plates, wrap it, etc. Foolish me for having trusted Crate and Barrel. Should have stuck with Bed Bath and Beyond.

I ordered a 16 piece dinnerware set and two 8 piece wine glass sets off the registry for shower gifts. They arrived in one giant box all individually wrapped. I placed a call and was told I should have chosen the "gift option" to get them put in one box as sets for an additional charge. Why would I choose a gift option if I am ordering a set? A set normally comes packaged in a box. They refused to send me boxes. I now have to travel one hour to the nearest store to get boxes that will fit the sets. Very disappointing and angry. No solution, just "sincere apologies". I have never had such poor customer service.

It seems that this is a chronic problem with Crate and Barrel. I ordered a love seat that was to take 8/10 weeks for delivery but to 4 MONTHS. I called many times asking about the delay and was always given the runaround. I finally received a reply after several calls and a couple of months, that the manufacturer ran out of the fabric. I was told that I would be compensated once delivery was accepted. When the love-seat arrived, it was wrinkled and had a stain in the back. Since I was frustrated and desperately in need of seating, I didn't even check it until the delivery people left. Needless to say, there was no compensation, not even a phone call checking to see if everything was okay.

Mid March I emailed customer service, who in turn reached out to the Short Hills, NJ store manager where I purchased it two times and I still have not heard anything. My advice, go to Pottery Barn. Their floor staff may not be as polite but they care about customer satisfaction and retention. I will never buy anything at Crate & Barrel again, and since I just purchased a new house, there are many things on my shopping list. Kind of a pretty woman moment, "BIG MISTAKE... HUGE MISTAKE, I HAVE TO GO SHOPPING NOW!!!"

My husband bought a chair from Crate & Barrel, not only he had to drive to a different warehouse which is 45 min away from their retail store, but when he opened up the packaging, he realized the chair that he had pick up was all scratched up and had marks all over. Looks like one of the returned item, he contacted Crate & Barrel about the issue, did a whole bunch of explaining and complaining, they said they would have a courier deliver a new chair and pick up the damaged chair on a specific date and time. Of course, no one showed up. When my husband called them, the delivery guy said he will be here in 15 min, of course that didn't happen and now my husband is so fed up that he swear he will never buy anything from Crate & Barrel again. It's really too bad that Crate & Barrel don't do a better job of managing their stock from front to back, warehousing and delivery. They do carry some very nice items.

This is the review I posted yesterday, which still hasn't shown up on the Crate and Barrel web page for this item (even though my review submission was confirmed): I purchased two Sterling 87 Tall Cabinets a couple of years ago. This past September, the glass panel on the right side spontaneously shattered on one of the cabinets. I contacted Crate and Barrel, and they gave me the run around. First I was told someone would contact me to replace the cabinet (they never called back), then I was told it was out of warranty so the best they could do was offer me free shipping on a new one. Meaning I'd have to fork over another $1000. I was able to get the glass replaced for $80 + labor through a friend.

Now the glass panel on the left side of the same cabinet has also shattered. This is not only hazardous (it's safety glass, but little slivers sprinkled on the floor as the cracking progressed, and removing the glass exposes lots of shards that have to be cleaned up), but it's been inconvenient and expensive. It also suggests poor quality standards - either the glass is inferior, or cut to the wrong size, or both. I'm no longer a Crate and Barrel customer.

I ordered a couch and chair in mid October 2015. My delivery was scheduled to be received by January 6th. I called to confirm pending delivery. They now tell me that my furniture may be delivered sometime in February. I will never purchase furniture from Crate and Barrel again. I never received a call regarding the delay in delivery and the vagueness of a future delivery date leaves me with absolutely no faith regarding a delivery date. I contacted corporate Crate and Barrel and received an apology with no solution.

Placed an order 3 weeks ago for Christmas decorations. To date, still waiting and tried calling just to wait on hold for 30 minutes. Finally tired of waiting I hung up and checked my order today only to see it say still processing. I sent several emails with no response and the credit card has been charged. According to laws in CT a credit card is not supposed to be charged until the item is ready for shipping unless it's a special order. Hmmm... I just don't think this company cares.

Crate and Barrel Company Profile