3.59/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Crate and Barrel

Looking for a good furniture store?

116 Crate and Barrel Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I ordered the Winnetka table and buffet and chairs and the first time they delivered items they forgot the base of the table. The driver didn’t even attempt to delivery the table top - he told us not to take the table without the base. After calling the store for 5 days straight I finally arranged to have the table delivered again. Never got a call the day before with a delivery window so I had to once again call the store to confirm the delivery was actually scheduled. Waited home all day Saturday only to have the driver tell us he only had a base - no table top. I am still waiting to get the table delivery rescheduled - after having paid for it over 6 weeks ago. The customer service has been dreadful. I don't think I will ever order anything from them again.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I received a gift for my wedding from Crate and Barrel (I wasn’t registered there). I tried to return it 4 months after my wedding, it’s still in the box, all the bowls still wrapped up and they wouldn’t take it. Their return policy is a strict 90 day return policy. For a high end furniture, pricey home store, they should have a better return policy. Nordstrom’s has a great return policy and that is a reason why they have loyal customers and people continue to shop there. If Crate and Barrel wants to grow their consumer base they should consider adjusting their return policy. I haven’t ever gravitated towards Crate and Barrel but now I never will. Why would I when I can get better service elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 21, 2019

Beware! Absolute WORST customer experience ever! Ordered the Ditto II sectional sofa and patiently awaited delivery. When it finally came, the order was wrong. They sent me two left arm sofas, versus a sofa and chaise. When the delivery men opened it in my apartment (scratching my hardwood floor in the process), and we realized it was wrong, they wouldn’t take it back and told me they weren’t permitted to do that, and that they had to leave it with me as a “loaner.” I explained I clearly didn’t need a loaner as still had a sofa in that space, but they still did not take it with them.

Then, I called CB2 that day (6/14/19) at 2:04 pm CT to tell them what happened and that I wanted it out of my apartment. I have a small one-bedroom space now occupied with three sofas! The customer service woman said the earliest they could come get it was on June 28! And, she sent me a $50 gift card assuming that would ease my frustration.

I never received a confirmation that they were picking it up, so I called back again today (6/21/19 at 11:56 am CT, and they called me back at 12:15 pm CT), spoke with Heidi in customer service who, after I asked to speak with a manager and she said the manager is out of the office, transferred me to Karen in problem resolution. I was told that they had NO RECORD of my phone call on 6/14!!! And, now the earliest they can come is in July!!

I explained to Karen that they are making me LOSE money since I often rent my space on Airbnb and cannot do that with my apartment in this state! And, CB2 still has my $2,000 that I want refunded after they pick up the sofas! So, essentially, they are making money while I am losing money and there’s absolutely nothing I can do. And, I am also expecting company as well and embarrassed at what my apartment looks like right now. I even offered to ship it myself to their freaking warehouse, but of course they won’t allow that to happen. This is UNACCEPTABLE! This was my first experience with CB2 and will certainly be my last once this is resolved. I will NEVER shop there again – EVER. I wish I saw their HORRENDOUS reviews before I made this purchase!

Resolution response: June 9, 2019

I wrote a review about this company after speaking with several people. I contacted Corporate Customer Service finally, and got a nice person who helped me and showed me that I did make a mistake in the order process, too. She has handled their end and mine! I cannot - in good conscience - leave the review the way it was. I was harried and am thankful for the company's help now.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Crate and Barrel is shipping wedding gifts to giver, not bride; they are saying $414 order was held up for 2 small items valued at $40; two Customer Service reps were rude; they will not put me through to a supervisor; and after many years of loving the place - shopping in person - I am very disappointed. They said my credit card was declined when my bank said there was no charge attempted, much less declined. Then, the gifts were late and being shipped to MY home! No offer to expedite shipping free since it was their fault.

Call center is in IL and I'm just so surprised at the reactions of these people. I won't do this again.... And today, two items on the LONG list of items with another order went down in price by $20 each. Cannot get through to ask them to reduce the price and wouldn't have had to "get through" before this very convenient computer age when one can set software to do anything. I'm frustrated. Very frustrated. There are other stores and this problem isn't just with me!

Original review: April 3, 2019

I received a product that was not at all like what was pictured on the Crate and Barrel website. I considered the product as not as represented and returned it with an explanation. Crate and Barrel does not refund shipping costs even when they are at fault. Other reputable companies like Amazon, accept responsibility for the quality of their products and include shipping fees in their refunds when they are at fault. This was my response to Crate and Barrel when I was informed that I had to bear the cost of their misrepresentation.

Thank you. I, of course, will no longer do business with your company. I believe the glasses were not as represented; therefore, I believe the shipping costs should also be refundable. Other reputable companies, like Amazon, accept responsibility for the integrity of their offerings and include a refund of shipping fees when they are at fault. I will reflect this opinion in my review of Crate and Barrel.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: March 5, 2019

My living area is basically a walk-in store for Crate & Barrel. The furniture and accessories and most of the lamps and floor rugs have been perfect. My favorite one of these is the Cleo Table lamp. The brass base is beautiful however I was surprised to have the lamp arrive with a very visible flaw on the brass. Only because of so many of my other pieces of furniture arriving with issues am I writing this. This is my second review for Crate & Barrel and the only time I have ever written a review for a retail store online. I am otherwise very happy with the lamp.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I bought the Marin Media/Bar & coffee table to match. My issue was with the condition of the bar. The color was perfect and was only slightly a different hue than the coffee table (understandably due to wood). However there were inflections I noticed when the sun hit the table. It looked as if someone had previously scratched the top of the surface and filled it in. This was very well done but still resulted in a visible scratch on the surface of our new bar/console. I also noticed a large diagonal mark which I believe was made from an X-Acto knife when being opened at the time of delivery. The mark crossed 3 of the slotted panels on the front doors. I called to have it replaced and was impressed with the customer service who immediately sent out a replacement a few weeks later. However, I waited all day on a Saturday to have them come after the delivery time and after waiting indoors the entire day.

They proceeded to move the console and replace it but the one they brought was more than 3 shades lighter and looked completely different than the one it was replacing not to mention the coffee table and this no longer looked like a set. Furthermore, the doors on this one did not close properly and upon pointing this out the movers proceeded to jam the doors closed creating a huge and very noticeable mark and indent on the cabinet. To say the least I was unimpressed and we sent the replacement back.

I did not proceed to have another replacement as I was frustrated with the service and did not want to waste additional time to wait around for what would seem to be a never-ending issue. The coffee table was in good condition but was very dirty in the slots upon arrival. My thought was I was given previously returned items in hopes to get rid of them in the warehouse instead of new items. I am not a person who has ever filled out a review and it took me a long time to do this but a little more than a year later it does bother me every time I see this piece in the light.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Although it required patience, I am in the end very happy with my purchase. When I didn't hear any updates on my order for more than 10 days, I called customer service and they were very helpful and friendly. I used their callback option so I didn't have to wait on the phone for my turn. They called me back at my turn. About a week later, I noticed that my account was billed even though there was no indication of an update on my order. I contacted customer service through their chat option on their website. The representative was very helpful and let me know that my order was ready, and I should start the process of scheduling delivery. I did this, and everything went exactly as planned after that. The furniture is even more beautiful and well made than I expected. I think they need to get better at communicating with customers, but based on my experience I think they are a company that provides quality products.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I ordered over $2000 of product in the middle of November with various delivery dates all before today. I do not have any of them. I have tried to call multiple times. I have sat on hold for 40+ minutes twice. I emailed them and received a response that I would get a reply in 2-3 days and it didn't happen. I called two other times when they asked for my number to call me back and I never received a callback. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years and am a cardholder. I am sincerely SO disappointed. What is going on Crate & Barrel? I am getting better service from Wayfair who immediately answers the phone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have not received my order despite being charged for it. There is no one available at customer service. Have been on hold for 50 mins with same recording. I tried yesterday...same problem. They have no one answering the phones. This company is terrible and should close down. I am now going to call corporate and see if there is anyone that answers the phone there. Will never buy from them again.

Crate and Barrel Company Information