3.8/5 (393 ratings)

About Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I purchased a couch in 2016. I noticed a few of the cushions of small areas where the seam is ripping. They provided absolutely no warranty resolution for this issue, instead they blamed me for "moving residents" and/or "vacuuming". Their solution was to either purchase an entirely new couch (of course through them) or purchase new cushions IF they still made the same couch. This is absolutely appalling considering how much you spend on products through this company. Their warranty policy is 30 days after purchase of product which is comical! I do not recommend purchasing anything through this company and will not be purchasing anything else through them. The customer service is ridiculous and extremely disappointing. Anything damaged or "wear and tear" will be your fault and they will not provide any way to fix the product unless you SPEND MORE MONEY WITH THEM.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I am sharing a review on this site since Crate and Barrel moderated my review and would not post it. I purchased the Avondale sectional back in January with the expectation that it would be delivered in August. This was understandable at the time due to supply chain issues. August arrived, and a damaged sofa was delivered (cracked leg and tear in fabric). The sofa was put back on the delivery truck. The Crate and Barrel customer service rep I spoke with seemed to be on top of re-ordering the sofa for us. We got a new delivery date of September, which had to be rescheduled for October due to a hurricane. No one showed up on the October delivery date. I called the delivery company to inquire and they informed me that the sofa was damaged and the delivery had been canceled. I called a local Crate and Barrel store for a status update (which was helpful since every time I called Crate and Barrel customer service, they couldn't give me any info).

It turned out they were delivering a temporary sofa to us. This was a frustrating surprise. No one mentioned a temporary sofa to us. This seemed like a waste of time and resources if we didn't want or need a temporary sofa. It also turned out that the Crate and Barrel rep who originally helped me return the damaged sofa never placed the order for our replacement sofa!!! At this point in time (October), I was being told that our sofa would be delivered in February. After two damaged sofas, very disappointing customer service and communication, and having to wait over a year for a sofa, I decided to ask for a full refund, which they gave me.

I will say that the sales rep at one of the local stores was very transparent about what had happened, which I appreciated. The store rep told me they would send me a small Crate and Barrel gift card to all of this inconvenience, but I never received it! This has been extremely disappointing for someone who has shopped at Crate and Barrel for years.

Get buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

Extremely long wait, longer than they say, and poor service. Bought two sleep sofas in May and was told up to 6 months for delivery. Bought because having company at Christmas. In these 6 months, they have no idea where your furniture is or when it might be finished (comes from China?), and they can't give you an update. I find this appalling - it's a furniture company - how can they not know the status of your furniture?

I finally get the call that my furniture is ready for delivery (after the full 6 months) - to their warehouse in the US (I'm in Canada, bought on the Canadian site). When they say "6 months delivery" they mean to them, not you. From there it's another 4 weeks to get to Canada (and another $700 per sleeper added on later for this privilege), and another 2 weeks to get a delivery company in my city to get to me. I won't get my furniture until earliest the end of the year. Too late.

I ordered May 28 for 6 month delivery, and their next projected date for delivery to me is Dec 27. I ended up going to Ikea and buying two sleeper sofas to accommodate Christmas guests - now I will be stuck with 2 overpriced sleeper sofas. There is of course NO WAY to cancel the 'bespoke' order no matter how bad their service. I don't know why someone would put up with that level of service. Oh - also - no way to leave a bad review on their site. In the meantime spoken to some designer friends and find that they don't buy from C&B for this very reason. Expensive lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I'm posting this here because C&B "moderated" my review, meaning they refused to publish it on their website as written. C&B provided legal language as to the reason citing the review must be about the product and its use. This is ironic given I cannot use the product because it is damaged and I cannot get a new product to use because of their vendor and delivery issues.

The Calypso cabinet is beautiful. It arrived with broken glass and misaligned drawers and cabinet doors. This has resulted in 4 additional failed deliveries over the course of >3 weeks and several phone calls to C&B customer service. The delivery issues are ridiculous (2nd attempt-delivery company no showed, 3rd attempt-delivery company showed up but without enough movers to pick up damaged piece and drop off replacement, 4th attempt-no showed for the second time. I even called C&B on the delivery day to confirm it would arrive given the issues, and yet the delivery company still no showed again. I was told by the C&B customer service rep that on this delivery (unlike all others) they could not give me a window and I would need to be home all day. During this call, the rep was rude, antagonist, and unhelpful and hung up on me.

To note, all other customer service reps were great. C&B refunded the delivery fee after the 2nd failed delivery, which I appreciate, however this hardly compensates for the time and frustration of this experience. I have had to follow-up in every instance of failed deliveries versus C&B or the delivery company leading resolution. At time of writing this review, the damaged piece has not been picked up nor do I know when this will occur. I am requesting a refund and again requesting the damaged piece be picked up. I do not want to give my business to a company who operates this way, including "moderating" honest reviews.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I placed an order on Nov. 12, 2022 and was advised it would arrive between Nov. 16 -19. The next day showed arrival would be Nov. 19 - 21. The next day stated it would be Nov. 20 - 22. The next day it would be Nov. 24 -26. On Nov. 20 I received an email that the item had been shipped by FedEx along with a tracking #. The next day, Nov. 21 I entered the tracking # which showed the information was sent to FedEx but the item had not been receive by them. My Credit Card was charged the following day after the order was placed. As of this Date Nov. 21, 2022 (9 days later) I still don't know when or if I will receive my order. All they have done is lied about the order over & over. if there was a rating less than 1 they would get it from me.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

Worst buying experience. I would not recommend this company. Bought Dresser and side tables. Put purchase on Credit Card for the rewards. A couple weeks after purchasing we were notified the order was delayed more than once. When the order was shipped, one side table was damaged and had another customers name on it. Dresser showed up damaged, loose handles, dust and dirt in the drawers. They sent out a new one, again damaged. Finally ended up with an acceptable product. The rewards program is terrible, not allowing you to have more time to use your rewards, especially given their supply chain issues. You have to move mountains to get them restored.

After literally hours on the phone, chat, email etc... they restored part of the rewards and issued a partial refund. Almost not worth it, considering the time wasted fighting for this. One agent (part of the leadership team) was rude and questioned me as if she didn't believe me when I said I decided to keep the side table, even though it was damaged (this was negotiated with a customer service agent). I have bought from Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn and haven't had an experience like this. For what they charge for their products, I expected higher quality products and service. Never again! I should add, this buying experience in the store was good, everything after went downhill. Quickly took my money and didn't end up with all pieces for a year.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

Purchased a set of dishes. When we unpacked the boxes, 2 plates had chips. Called within 2 hours of purchase and was advised we had to return the chipped plates before a refund would be issued. The company would not accept photo evidence. Plates cost $11. But mileage cost to return would be more. Thus, no refund. Beware of shopping at Crate & Barrel.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Shipped dishes from Soho store were poorly packed, not marked fragile, and arrived 90% broken. I was required to return this heavy box for credit. Repeated calls to Soho customer service resulted in long holds, followed by automatic bounce to voicemail, and no return call.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

I have purchased multiple pieces of furniture from Crate & Barrel throughout the years. I have continued to purchase due to the great quality. This is the first time I have had issues with a product. The issue is with our king sized bed frame, the supporting beam in the middle holding up the mattress broke after 3 years after purchase. We investigated why it happened & found that the post that supports the middle was loose and not glued in when installed by the company. It’s just a block that can spin & fall out at any moment while cleaning.

We are very upset after spending a lot of money on the bed frame we love. We contacted the company & they were happy to help & said, “we stand by our products.” After I explained what happened they told me there wasn’t much they could do for us since the bed was discontinued. Now we have a full bedroom set with our bed on the floor. We are very disappointed there wasn’t a solution to our problem. Please consider fixing bed frame structure to avoid this type of problem in the future.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

So incredibly frustrated with Crate and Barrel as an order placed 1.5 months ago has been constantly pushed back again and again and is now showing mid-Nov availability in my order. However I can go to the website and it shows that it is available for immediate shipping. Customer service is useless as they parrot the line that orders are fulfilled as they come in and they don't seem to understand why it's weird that new orders are shipping now while old orders sit. Terrible experience, terrible service.

Crate and Barrel Company Information