3.15/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Crate and Barrel

Looking for a good furniture store?

114 Crate and Barrel Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 21, 2019

Beware! Absolute WORST customer experience ever! Ordered the Ditto II sectional sofa and patiently awaited delivery. When it finally came, the order was wrong. They sent me two left arm sofas, versus a sofa and chaise. When the delivery men opened it in my apartment (scratching my hardwood floor in the process), and we realized it was wrong, they wouldn’t take it back and told me they weren’t permitted to do that, and that they had to leave it with me as a “loaner.” I explained I clearly didn’t need a loaner as still had a sofa in that space, but they still did not take it with them.

Then, I called CB2 that day (6/14/19) at 2:04 pm CT to tell them what happened and that I wanted it out of my apartment. I have a small one-bedroom space now occupied with three sofas! The customer service woman said the earliest they could come get it was on June 28! And, she sent me a $50 gift card assuming that would ease my frustration.

I never received a confirmation that they were picking it up, so I called back again today (6/21/19 at 11:56 am CT, and they called me back at 12:15 pm CT), spoke with Heidi in customer service who, after I asked to speak with a manager and she said the manager is out of the office, transferred me to Karen in problem resolution. I was told that they had NO RECORD of my phone call on 6/14!!! And, now the earliest they can come is in July!!

I explained to Karen that they are making me LOSE money since I often rent my space on Airbnb and cannot do that with my apartment in this state! And, CB2 still has my $2,000 that I want refunded after they pick up the sofas! So, essentially, they are making money while I am losing money and there’s absolutely nothing I can do. And, I am also expecting company as well and embarrassed at what my apartment looks like right now. I even offered to ship it myself to their freaking warehouse, but of course they won’t allow that to happen. This is UNACCEPTABLE! This was my first experience with CB2 and will certainly be my last once this is resolved. I will NEVER shop there again – EVER. I wish I saw their HORRENDOUS reviews before I made this purchase!

Resolution response: June 9, 2019

I wrote a review about this company after speaking with several people. I contacted Corporate Customer Service finally, and got a nice person who helped me and showed me that I did make a mistake in the order process, too. She has handled their end and mine! I cannot - in good conscience - leave the review the way it was. I was harried and am thankful for the company's help now.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Crate and Barrel is shipping wedding gifts to giver, not bride; they are saying $414 order was held up for 2 small items valued at $40; two Customer Service reps were rude; they will not put me through to a supervisor; and after many years of loving the place - shopping in person - I am very disappointed. They said my credit card was declined when my bank said there was no charge attempted, much less declined. Then, the gifts were late and being shipped to MY home! No offer to expedite shipping free since it was their fault.

Call center is in IL and I'm just so surprised at the reactions of these people. I won't do this again.... And today, two items on the LONG list of items with another order went down in price by $20 each. Cannot get through to ask them to reduce the price and wouldn't have had to "get through" before this very convenient computer age when one can set software to do anything. I'm frustrated. Very frustrated. There are other stores and this problem isn't just with me!

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I received a product that was not at all like what was pictured on the Crate and Barrel website. I considered the product as not as represented and returned it with an explanation. Crate and Barrel does not refund shipping costs even when they are at fault. Other reputable companies like Amazon, accept responsibility for the quality of their products and include shipping fees in their refunds when they are at fault. This was my response to Crate and Barrel when I was informed that I had to bear the cost of their misrepresentation.

Thank you. I, of course, will no longer do business with your company. I believe the glasses were not as represented; therefore, I believe the shipping costs should also be refundable. Other reputable companies, like Amazon, accept responsibility for the integrity of their offerings and include a refund of shipping fees when they are at fault. I will reflect this opinion in my review of Crate and Barrel.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My living area is basically a walk-in store for Crate & Barrel. The furniture and accessories and most of the lamps and floor rugs have been perfect. My favorite one of these is the Cleo Table lamp. The brass base is beautiful however I was surprised to have the lamp arrive with a very visible flaw on the brass. Only because of so many of my other pieces of furniture arriving with issues am I writing this. This is my second review for Crate & Barrel and the only time I have ever written a review for a retail store online. I am otherwise very happy with the lamp.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I bought the Marin Media/Bar & coffee table to match. My issue was with the condition of the bar. The color was perfect and was only slightly a different hue than the coffee table (understandably due to wood). However there were inflections I noticed when the sun hit the table. It looked as if someone had previously scratched the top of the surface and filled it in. This was very well done but still resulted in a visible scratch on the surface of our new bar/console. I also noticed a large diagonal mark which I believe was made from an X-Acto knife when being opened at the time of delivery. The mark crossed 3 of the slotted panels on the front doors. I called to have it replaced and was impressed with the customer service who immediately sent out a replacement a few weeks later. However, I waited all day on a Saturday to have them come after the delivery time and after waiting indoors the entire day.

They proceeded to move the console and replace it but the one they brought was more than 3 shades lighter and looked completely different than the one it was replacing not to mention the coffee table and this no longer looked like a set. Furthermore, the doors on this one did not close properly and upon pointing this out the movers proceeded to jam the doors closed creating a huge and very noticeable mark and indent on the cabinet. To say the least I was unimpressed and we sent the replacement back.

I did not proceed to have another replacement as I was frustrated with the service and did not want to waste additional time to wait around for what would seem to be a never-ending issue. The coffee table was in good condition but was very dirty in the slots upon arrival. My thought was I was given previously returned items in hopes to get rid of them in the warehouse instead of new items. I am not a person who has ever filled out a review and it took me a long time to do this but a little more than a year later it does bother me every time I see this piece in the light.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Although it required patience, I am in the end very happy with my purchase. When I didn't hear any updates on my order for more than 10 days, I called customer service and they were very helpful and friendly. I used their callback option so I didn't have to wait on the phone for my turn. They called me back at my turn. About a week later, I noticed that my account was billed even though there was no indication of an update on my order. I contacted customer service through their chat option on their website. The representative was very helpful and let me know that my order was ready, and I should start the process of scheduling delivery. I did this, and everything went exactly as planned after that. The furniture is even more beautiful and well made than I expected. I think they need to get better at communicating with customers, but based on my experience I think they are a company that provides quality products.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I ordered over $2000 of product in the middle of November with various delivery dates all before today. I do not have any of them. I have tried to call multiple times. I have sat on hold for 40+ minutes twice. I emailed them and received a response that I would get a reply in 2-3 days and it didn't happen. I called two other times when they asked for my number to call me back and I never received a callback. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years and am a cardholder. I am sincerely SO disappointed. What is going on Crate & Barrel? I am getting better service from Wayfair who immediately answers the phone.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have not received my order despite being charged for it. There is no one available at customer service. Have been on hold for 50 mins with same recording. I tried yesterday...same problem. They have no one answering the phones. This company is terrible and should close down. I am now going to call corporate and see if there is anyone that answers the phone there. Will never buy from them again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was trying to cancel an order that I made online. Called customer service. The recording stated that the wait time was more than 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I kept getting the same recording. Frustrated, I looked online for complaints against CB. Ah! Everyone else had the same experience. How are they still in business?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Crate and Barrel - You lose me as a customer! Never again. I ordered 3 beds + mattresses + accessories +++. Was supposed to get those mid December. Called and called and waited and spoke to many people. Until a manager of the resolution team was helpful to see how she can maybe get my items earlier and also promised me someone will call me and give me a discount after. 2 more weeks passed, we are in January, nothing. I called again. After an hour was able to get someone else online. Tricia (TERRIBLE CUSTOMER PERSON). She basically said that I can go ** off and that no compensation and Crate and Barrel was never late! I have the email from Dec 10 when I ordered that shipping was mid Dec and she said it was always schedule for mid Jan!! Disgusting person. I cancelled some of the items that are still back order and waiting on a few. NEVER AGAIN.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

On Dec 16th I ordered two packages online to be delivered to two addresses in different states. After getting an order confirmation form Crate and Barrel that was it. No more emails. No tracking, nothing. And my recipients never got their gifts for Christmas. I was patiently waiting until the 27th. Then called customer service. No supervisor was available. Then I emailed the company. Got an automatically generated email stating the same as their phone line says: due to high volume etc... Then I called my credit card company and cancelled these charges.

The next day, Dec 28th I finally was able to reach a supervisor on the phone after waiting for over 1 HOUR! What I've heard from them was pure lie. They said:

- the email with tracking info should have get to me automatically - one of packages was delivered on Dec 20th - another package was shipped on Dec 27th, 10 days later, because there was a problem with warehouse (the item in that gift was the same as in other but they claim a problem with getting it shipped (a box of candy). That was their answer. And no apology. I recommend that other online shoppers avoid my kind of experience by avoiding Crate and Barrel altogether. Not reliable site topped with a non-existent customer service.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Last fall, during a furniture sale, I ordered the Barrett Ottoman with tray and casters. This is a custom item, and I was told it would take a couple of months to receive it. In late November, as promised, I received an email notifying me that my ottoman was ready to be delivered. I went online to choose a delivery date. The room in which I'll use it was in the middle of being remodeled, so I chose a delivery date almost a month out.

A week before the scheduled delivery, I realized the workmen wouldn't be finished in time, so I called Crate and Barrel and rescheduled the delivery date, pushing it another week out. A couple of days prior to delivery, I received an automated phone call reminding me of the delivery date. That phone call also narrowed the time down to a 2 hour window, and asked me to confirm by pressing "1" on my phone, which I did.

On the actual delivery date, I again received an automated call, when the truck was approximately 10 minutes from my place. Long story short: the ottoman was exactly as ordered, and delivered as promised. The guys had to carry it to the second floor of my house, but I'd specified that when I ordered it, and there were NO problems. I've read so many negative reviews of Crate and Barrel on this site, that I wanted people to know that my experience with Crate and Barrel products and delivery has been excellent. I ordered the ottoman from the Crate and Barrel at Willow Bend in Plano, TX, and it was delivered to my condo in far North Dallas.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

So I Had purchased Palm Springs Playhouse for my daughter. It was a Christmas gift that she wanted and picked out. So I had purchased at the store 10 days before Christmas and on Christmas Day 2:00 am I decided that I would assemble it and have it ready for when she wakes up. Upon opening the big box I was going thru the checklist and came across of the plastic molding was missing. I needed 4 qty and only had 3 qty and was not able to assemble the playhouse. When my daughter woke up she was expecting a playhouse and it was ruined because of one simple plastic molding. It really broke my ???? and even worse my Daughter. I tried to call the customer service which is when I found out they were closed. I plan on taking a trip to location where I made the purchase.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I ordered several items online for store pickup and a set of small plates for delivery because it was not available at the store. The online ordering process was simple and got a notification my order was ready for pickup 2 hours later. I went the next day shortly after the store opened to avoid the holiday shopping crowd. It took nearly 30 minutes to find my order in the stock room. By the way, the store was not busy at that time. Yesterday my plates arrived through FedEx. 7 out of 8 plates were shattered and I called customer services immediately around 2 pm. I was on hold for 45 minutes before a agent answered. This was just unacceptable for customer services. The excuse was because of high call volume due to holiday season.

A day after my first online order, I placed another online order for store pickup. After my first pickup experience, I called the store 30 minutes ahead, gave my name, order number and asked the associate to bring my purchase to the register for pickup. Lo and behold, my purchase was not at the register and took another 30 minutes to locate my bag. I was going to let Crate and Barrel know about my experiences. The only available information for feedback was the customer services number which I had to wait for 45 minutes for someone to answer or write a letter or fill out a survey on the online ordering software. Obviously the company does not want to hear from customers directly. If so, the company will make it more convenient to listen to customers’ feedback. I will never order online for store pick up again nor for home delivery for breakable items. Crate and Barrel will not have much of my shopping dollars from now on.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

If there was a way to give no stars, I would. I ordered two chairs first week in October, which said delivery first week in November. I heard nothing. No one reached out to me, and when I call it has been on average waiting 30 minutes on hold. The call starts with the message “due to high call volume wait time is 10 minutes” and because I’m desperate, I wait! THEN after ALL that you wait 10-15 minutes, and they say - wait time 20 minutes. I just hang up. I have called TEN times. There is no number to reach anyone. No one emails back. I STILL DON’T HAVE THE ORDER!!! It’s December. This is fraud. I have paid for a product that they never delivered. I don’t know what to do!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Unbelievable. Ordered an $800 rug which was delivered by FedEx while I was at work. Clearly damaged; several holes in the packing wrap and one showed that the rug underneath had been damaged as well. Rather than even unwrap it, I called the customer service number several times as it instructed on both the packing slip and website... Waited over an hour each time and no one ever picked up. Emailed the customer service number and no reply. Finally got desperate and shipped the rug back at my own expense ($181) via FedEx.

I was initially intending to ask for a replacement rug but after this experience I just want a refund because if a replacement rug arrived damaged I never want to go through this experience again. I’m sure they won’t refund my shipping costs, but they better refund me the entire price of the rug or I’ll be contacting the BBB. I would have never expected such a big and well-known company would have such atrocious customer service. I should have read all these terrible reviews... Buyer beware.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I sent a mixing bowl to my daughter. It arrived 12/8/18 and was broken. I have called Crate and Barrel four times and each time waited on hold for over 15 minutes. The recording said each time my wait time would be over 20 minutes and to call back later! I emailed the company per their instructions at least four days ago and no one has responded. When I attempted to return the item online, even though I checked the box that says item arrived damaged, it says I must pay $11.95 in shipping and my daughter must carry the big box back to a FedEx drop off location. This is terrible, terrible customer service. I have an account with Crate and Barrel and I am going to cancel it. I need a new bowl sent asap in time for Xmas.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I ordered a Dutch oven at Crate and Barrel almost 6 weeks ago. The item was supposedly on stock. My credit card plus the shipment fees have been charged immediately. I still have not gotten my item. I wrote many emails and always got the same answer. "The item is preparing for shipment. It will be there in 3 to 5 days." Almost 6 weeks later it is still preparing for shipment! I asked for a cancellation of the order and for a refund and they said it is not possible. They have to ask the management. I chatted online with them 3 times and my son called and waited more than an hour on the phone before he gave up. I think the customer service is terrible and I am thinking about writing a letter directly to the CEO to share my frustration. I will never buy another item from Crate and Barrel again!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

You should think twice before ordering an item online. I ordered a table 10/30/18 and the email said delivery would be early December. I received a text from them to call and I am still on hold 43 minutes later. The first person listened but did nothing and now I am going to a higher level. So they have $800 of the $1300 fee and they fail to deliver. Their excuse is that is the Holiday season, but my comment it was not back in October, unless you count Halloween and this is turning out to be a nightmare. Up to 50 minutes on hold now!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I ordered a dining table and chairs from CB on 9/9/18. When I placed my order, I was told it would deliver in mid-October. That's fine... One month isn't terribly long to wait for the "perfect" table. Mid-October arrives, and I've gotten no updates from CB, so I called them. Customer service then tells me it's been back-ordered and I should receive in early November. Ugh, okay fine. November comes, and I still don't have any updates from CB.

Once again, I call them, and customer service tells me I'll get it late-November or early-December. UGHHH. It is now 12/11/18 and still NO UPDATES from CB whatsoever. At this point, CB's terrible service has hindered me from hosting any parties for: my housewarming, Halloween, my birthday, Thanksgiving, and now Christmas. You would expect a big furniture retailer like CB to be more on top of their vendors, and more on top of their customer services and communication to their customers. This whole experience has been very frustrating, with lots of time wasted waiting (waiting for my furniture...waiting on the phone to speak to CB customer service). And the waiting continues...

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Placed an order for a coffee maker that was started as In Stock. 14 business days later still no indication of when it will ship. Be prepared to wait an hour on the phone if you want to reach customer service. When you do speak to someone their, they simply parrot their last email sent to you. Useless. Won't even allow cancellation of the order. Don't waste your time with this company. Bunch of shills.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

We received our Petrie Sofa that was poorly finished. The back cushions are wrinkled at the top and because the cushions have buttons the fabric cannot be flattened out. Additionally, the sofa's left arm is 1/4" higher than the right arm that is so noticeable next to the end tables. C&B suggested we keep the sofa until they hear back from the manufactures "Shenandoah". That was 2 weeks ago and unacceptable. In hindsight we believe that C&B’s advise to us to keep the sofa until the issue is resolved was a ploy to not pressure Shenandoah to replace the sofa and thus forcing us to live with this uncertain situation. We have been told the C&B has a poor customer service policy and our unresolved issue reflects that policy correctly.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the worst experience, place the order online for two Smeg appliances and on the 23rd of November and I am still waiting for one of them even though that I was assured the delivery will be done last week. One phone call last week for 45 mins and now while I am writing this review, I am still on hold waiting from Lisa from customer service to find out what is the status. This company is a joke and it should be out of business!!! I told them to let me know if the item is coming or not or I will cancel the order... They just lied. They don't deserve the business.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I ordered a Christmas ornament online, was promised delivery within 6 days. As of this review my order still has not shown up, in fact their website shows the order status as still being processed. I contacted customer service online chat, and all the representative would say is, "Your order will be shipped." When I asked when she could not give me a date. In my opinion not a very trustworthy company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Ordered online Black Friday 11/23, still no package or ship date. Spent 500.00. No one will validate the shipment when online ordering. Said packages will be here within 4-6 business days. It’s 12/4. Nothing. Charged my CB card. Not paying it off until packages arrive. The CS just “sits on a throne of lies” - Buddy the Elf!!! Bankrolls online orders and doesn't fulfill the time they state on their site. Only ordered from them because I needed more plates of the same collection. Didn’t have an issues with them other times of the year. Obviously they need a BCP back up! Horrible all over the place.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The company offered great Cyber Monday deals but did not build up the infrastructure to execute. I have waited over a week for my product to even leave the warehouse (it still hasn't left). Customer services tells you, they are pretty busy, we will email them to rush it. Please. I am sure you are going to do that. Never ordering online from them again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

On 8/10/18 I purchased a sofa + custom love seat from the local C&B store in Torrance, CA. Delivery took place 12 weeks from purchase date which I expected; however, the wrong love seat was delivered. I refused its delivery and waited for a call from their warehouse or third party vendor (at this point I don't know as local store told me they couldn't contact them on my behalf). The only call I got from the warehouse was 6 days after on a Saturday just to tell me that the person who received the email with my issue would look into it on Monday -- when I asked why nothing was done the prior days, I was told "there are other clients" this person has to handle inquiries for!

Monday came and got no call. I called the local store to share my frustration and to see if they could do anything about it or to offer some type of discount -- was told the store manager was abreast of the situation and would be contacting me. The only person I ever spoke at store was Emma; no sales manager. No discount was offered and ended up canceling item that was pending. At first I thought they felt the amount of money I spent was of no consequence but based on other reviews, I see that it's a general problem with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Because Crate and Barrel is such a huge company, I would have never assumed that the customer service they provide would be SO disorganized. Not only does it take forever to get a hold of an agent when you call the customer service phone # provided on their website but when I FINALLY got through, the agent "helping" me told me I had the wrong number and needed to call the international line to return my items for a refund so she transferred me... Another 40 min wait to get through to someone only to get THE SAME EXACT AGENT FROM BEFORE TRYING TO TELL ME SHE NEEDED TO TRANSFER ME. I don't like losing my cool but I had told her that I had waited well over an hour and wasn't willing to waste any more time.

She told me she would email the international team personally and have the issue fixed asap. No email was sent out and still have heard nothing about my return. This is the most disappointing service I have ever had and it really is a surprise considering how big of a company. If you're looking to shop online here, make sure you are Positive you want the item because chances are you are going to be stuck with it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Ordered furniture on 8/15/2018. They immediately charged my card. It's 11/20/18 and I still have not received it even though I've made 3 payments on my credit card from them. They are now telling us it got picked up by a shipping company on 11/14, but they can't provide any updates. No tracking, no trucking info, just that it takes between 2 and three 3 weeks to get delivered after its picked up. Are you kidding me! This place is a joke. Horrible customer service, horrible shipping, no communication. I'll never order furniture from them again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Crate and Barrel has the worst online order and customer service I have ever seen anywhere. I orders two different items and paid for separate wrapping (extra charge for that of course). Items came in one box wrapped together. So, I get in touch with their customer service who resent the items, promising to refund me the money I paid for the wrapping and extra box (8 days later, still no sign of the refund). And guess what, when the second order came in, they were AGAIN in one box. Now the second mishap arrived a day before I was to give those presents to two different people which forced me to spend Saturday driving around to find adequate boxes to wrap the presents separately so that I can make my friends happy. Of course, I contacted C&B again and they offered to send me a 50.00 dollars for the two wrong orders. I turned their offer down because they are the one who twice made the same mistake in the same week.

They seem to be very oblivious or I would say, not concerned at all for their mistakes or for wasting my day off to find presentable boxes and wrapping, and they said they will forward my emails to their Home office to find a resolution, adding that I will be contacted within 48 hours. 96 hours later I still haven't heard a word from their home office. So I sent another email and this time, the next day someone called me, apologized, saying the email was not sent to them until today.

So now I am looking at customer service that lied or was lazy, not sure which is worth and still no resolve for two orders that they didn't fix. Home office upped the bribe to 100.00 gift card (that's what they called resolving the waste of my day off and ruining two perfect gifts for my friends). Yes I turned down their offer, but also told them social media will hear about this. It is not a question of revenge at all, a company like C&B proved to be unorganized, liars and seem to not care about their customers and that is what I am showing here.

Crate and Barrel Company Information