3.9/5 (368 ratings)

About Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

I was calling for a defect item. I was transferred 4 times, and the line was disconnected twice, and I had been waiting online for more than 40 mins. Finally I was connected to this customer care. She was impatient and didn't listen to my concerns at all. My concern is that I spent $400 to install the light to the ceiling and I was reluctant to return it, because I will lose $400 for nothing. I was asking if there is other solutions. She said, "Because you already install it, you can't return it!!!" I said that I can't tell it is defect (the pendant is not symmetrical) until it was installed. I don't want to wait my time anymore, so I just said, "Ok whatever" and then I disconnect my call. Unbelievable, this woman called me back with her personal phone and yelled at me! Don't **. What a moron!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

I bought this product on Nov 14. I noticed that it was sent to the wrong address on my mobile device. It was sent to my mother's address in Hawaii. I tried to stop the order but customer service could not get Fed Ex on the phone so they said they had to ship it to Hawaii but not to worry. I could send it back for free and get my money back. My mother tried to send one box and it was over $80.

I called customer service and got Janet E at 3:40pm on Dec 14. She said that Crate and Barrel would do me a favor and refund one box but not the other. I told her the other box was heavier and I if I shipped it it would be more than my products. Janet said that this was my fault and they would not help me with the 2nd box. I am looking for a total refund on my order. Order # **. I called back and the customer rep said she would help me but then she saw Janet’s name and said Janet was above her. Her supervisor also agreed with Janet. This service is ridiculous. How can I ever shop from this store again if they hold me responsible for a shopping cart error which I immediately tried to correct. What a holiday nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I have ordered a complete Aspen dish set -I have had to make 4 phone calls and still have not received my full order! Just got off the phone with a supervisor and she said I could call the warehouse and try and speed up your order and I hope they arrive in good condition!!! What kinda comment is that

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Two days they couldn't resolve the problem with my order, which was placed two weeks ago. Tonight after one frustrating chat with their customer support online, she clearly disconnected me after getting my info. I decided to try one more time. Woah what a nasty experience. Started my chat, the gal on the other end was slow, ok, no big deal. Then I said I just got disconnected, I hope this doesn't happen again, she apologized, and said "I need to read the conversation". I told her I don't think there's any, this is a new chat. Does she need the order info. She came back after 3mins, telling me "I have to read the conversation, or you need to repeat it, your choice". My choice?? Sounds like she has an attitude. So I said I don't want to play any games, I need to get this resolved this time. Nothing.

After 3mins, came back, asked for order number, and address. (Thought she said "she needed to read the conversation to find those") Anyways, nothing after that. So I asked "verified?" She came back telling me "give me a moment. I'm helping another customer"...Hmm...so all this time she is probably multitasking and she's not very good at it. I feel that she definitely prioritizes the other customer than me. So I told her this is unprofessional and you are wasting my time. Nothing. After 3mins, she came back, said "replacement arranged, you will get an email later". Ok, thanked her, nothing, so she was probably so busy with the more important VIP customer. Oh well. At least after 20mins, the replacement is placed, who knows how long it gonna take to get me but I'm done with this company. JEANNE (or Mayra), good luck, hope you keep your job.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

My husband and I swore we would never again shop at Crate and Barrel after they treated us so poorly when we tired to return something purchased from our wedding registry. It's been eight years and I thought I would try again. This time it was worse. They are holding three in-stock items for over three months while they wait on a back ordered item (that wasn't backordered when I placed my order). The reason I ordered in-stock items is because they are...in stock. Their customer service is terrible and they said they would send me my in-stock items if I paid them $150. I am trying to cancel the backordered item but I am not getting anywhere. This company has good products but this company doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Updated on 09/30/2021: Had a call from the slimy Caroline from Hate and Quarrel, at Novi MI store. Offered NO solutions, just called. Apparently increase frustration. Then had the audacity to claim I was threatening violence when I asked to see things from my perspective???? SHOCKINGLY INSULTING. These people are really lowlife scum.

Original Review:

-Destroyed my Hardwood floor in my house with "White Glove" delivery service on a table. Sent two kids to deliver a 450 lb table, they dragged it across my floor, 10ft gouge in the hardwood floor. No sign of any help from C&B forthcoming.
-Delivered 3 damaged TV units so far, been waiting now 1 year for it. Expensive, very poor quality, service, products, and support. Tried to trick us into thinking they had delivered a good product in fact it had two left-hand doors. These people are genuinely evil.

-Beware of getting C&B (Synchrony card). They play a shell game between the 2 companies, charge you for products you don't have, late fees, and interest, when C&B can't deliver they are set up to con you.

I call them HATE & QUARREL. My store is NOVI MICHIGAN, the worst people you could ever imagine, over promise and under deliver, they are rude and completely unhelpful.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Comments: CB2 and CRATE and Barrel has horrible customer service. Purchased this couch, had it for a little over 2 months, got it professionally cleaned as per instructions and my couch in some areas have blue streaks and turned blued along the zipper line. Called them up, they had NO OTHER Care instructions to offer and tried to offer me a 200 gift card for a piece that cost nearly 4K in total! What an insult. I just want new covers for the cushions that have been destroyed. Since I answered refused, they took down my first review and they haven't been responded to my emails or call when they say they would. This is ridiculous!! I have spend over 10K allow in these stores, with shipping problems, delayed pieces and constant push back. Do better.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

We purchased a sofa set on March 15, 2021 with half of the balance due immediately. Sofas and ottoman were supposed to be delivered in June. It was pushed back to July. I totally understand the current impact of the pandemic so I didn't complain. July came and our furniture was still MIA. Aug came and furniture still undelivered. I've chatted/call them several times and delivery was pushed back to mid Sept. It is now mid Sept and I am on terminal phone call hold with them. None can give me a straight answer. I'm very disappointed with them. I will never order from this company and I do not recommend this company at all.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I ordered a gift from a gift registry back in June. The item was on backorder until this past week. My credit card was charged multiple times for the same item. I call to request an explanation and was hung up on by multiple individuals. I then call my credit card company and after begging for someone to help me they did. We called together and again were received by multiple unprofessional individuals. The last individual placed us on another hold and disconnected the line. My credit card company was applauded by the lack of information Crate and Barrel provided and the lack of professionalism. I had to lock my credit card to ensure further transactions weren't placed. I strongly encourage you to support any local business before trying your luck with this company.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I purchased a $1,500 cabinet with C&B on May 22nd. It was backordered at the time with a projected availability date of June 25th. I figured a month's wait wouldn't be too bad. But, one month turned into two, with no definite availability date in sight. They pushed back the arrival date every week till it became a regular and anticipated source of frustration. Customer service could offer no additional insight about the delay. It seems that C&B could care less about things like accountability or honor. I found the manufacturer of the piece and wrote to them, as well. Crickets. No reply. I ended up canceling the item which proved to be a difficult feat. They took my money in seconds, but getting it back was slow going. I recognize that COVID might still be in play in this scenario. However, I don't believe C&B should advertise products they can't or won't deliver. Not recommended.

Original review: July 9, 2021

When shopping for a couch we found many that we liked and one of those happened to be the Lounge 93" Sofa. Others were from various vendors. We ultimately decided to go with the Lounge Sofa in a Stock fabric because they told us it was in stock and would only be 3-4 weeks to deliver and the other companies told us it would be more likely 10 weeks and we wanted it sooner than that. We are at three months and still don't have our couch that was "in stock with stock fabric." What is the most frustrating part is that they constantly have the estimated delivery date and then two to three days before that date they push it back an additional three to seven days. It is almost like they got you on the hook but then slowly drag you along for weeks and months saying it should be there soon or in the next 7 days.

Totally fine if the couches are not in stock - I get it, supply chain is all messed up because of Covid. But PLEASE don't lie to your customers to get their money. Now I am stuck in a house with no furniture and C&B has my money to hold the couch that has likely not been made yet. I have a housewarming party in two weeks that I will likely have to cancel because I will not have my couch. I wish I would have gone with another brand that had a better handle on their supply chain and didn't bait you to buy their couches with inaccurate delivery times.

Original review: May 29, 2021

We ordered a multi-piece sofa in February 2021, with one piece back ordered by a month. They delivered some of the sofa in April (including the back ordered piece), but they did not delivery a non-back ordered piece at that time and said it would arrive in May or June. Then it was pushed back to July, now it’s scheduled August (mind you we have only a partial sofa currently, which doesn’t work). Clearly they sold us a piece of furniture they didn’t have in stock. This is a “bait & switch” and highly unethical behavior.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Don't do it!!!! I ordered two of the Gather Petite Swivel Chairs on 2/19. The rep in the store told me that if I ordered these in the stock fabric, they'd be delivered in about 2 weeks - sounds good right? Don't believe it for a second. After ordering the arrival date was supposed to be 4/1. However, now after over two months later after delays, delivery person called to schedule delivery for 4/21. Finally!!!! Then they called back later that same day - truck "not going to make it" and they are rescheduling delivery for 4/30 -- hi, that's 10 days later!!! Crate & Barrel banned my review -- it appears that this company screens the voice of the customer and only posts the positive ones to its website. That really shows a lack of brand integrity!

Original review: April 14, 2021

Okay, to be clear I love C & B but their online experience is horrible and the website is a mess. You cannot track or even search past orders. For the last year when you click on the order details, it says "We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later or call us at (800) 967-6696 for further assistance." I was ordering juice glasses and it would only allow me to put 2 in the cart (but 3 and 4 of the other sizes, same brand) so I had to place a separate order the other 4 (causing me to pay shipping twice). Lastly, their customer service is terrible. We will be shopping elsewhere in the future.

Original review: April 6, 2021

To all who may be considering shopping at Crate & Barrel DON'T! SCAM ALERT!!!! CRATE & BARREL. This company has unethical practices that involve bait and switch tactics which are highly illegal. The customer service is null from the customer service department to the CEO. Apparently, us customers are a bother. Too many meetings? Last I checked any retail store should be on top of every customer issue. Crate & Barrel loves to boast about the Lounge II sofa and ottomans. They are not quality, made in N.C but pure junk. Corners of furniture the fabric just tear at the seams and the frame broke all because of manufacture defect.

We bought the Lounge II, two Ottomans, a $450 delivery charge, a Large sheepskin rug, a large area plush rug, and pillows. Charged it all on the new credit we opened with them. When you attempt to get your furniture serviced you will be told "We are having trouble finding a furniture medic and will let you know when we do OR you can accept 50% off your purchase for an in store credit and lose the delivery fee." = Bait and Switch. I will be reporting this company to the BBB and the AG of Florida. Please spread the word to any friends and loved ones who may be considering Crate & Barrel.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Be aware that returning large pieces to Crate & Barrel is a long & tedious process. I bought 2 large Chairs from Crate & Barrel after going to the store to check their return policy and ease of returning, as I wasn't sure the color would work for me. The girl explained that I could either call and arrange a pick up but I would have to pay a restocking fee or I could return them myself to the warehouse which she confirmed was only 10 mins away. When the chairs arrived, I did not like them, so I immediately started the return process by attempting to call the number online. I was on hold for a long time (15mins?) and so took the suggestion of their 'recording' and decided to try texting.

I got a girl (I won't call her name), who was obviously too busy to be taking my case as she responded every 10 mins and then completely stopped responded. It was then picked up by someone else... I then texted back & forth for 1 hour & 15mins, trying to arrange to return them to the warehouse (an appointment is needed to do this and the first available was in 2 weeks)! So then I decided it to pay the restocking fee and have them pick them up. That was a 10 day wait. I assume, sensing my frustration, the young lady called me to discuss. She was very pleasant & we concluded that she would contact the warehouse and get back to me the next day (yesterday). That did not happen. I called today again and spoke to someone else, (also very pleasant) who assures me that someone will contact me either tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully they will...

Original review: March 8, 2021

I have been trying to reach someone over the phone. You will have to wait for hours! This is the worst customer service. They do not answer the phone. I placed an order for a duvet comforter and the company sells items that they do not have in stock. After placing my order and waiting I received a "we're sold out of the item" email. I reordered another duvet cover and this time it was lost in the mail and not sent for the company warehouse. I was waiting for a week before they were willing to fix the issue. I thought I'll order another one while waiting for that one and I check my order three days later and it NOW SAYS IT'S ON BACK ORDER. This is completely not acceptable is this a company is ineffectively operated. They are overselling items. They need a better inventory system. I will not be ordering from this company in the future.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

ZERO STARS. Their website is constantly changing with inventory, availability on products. I ordered a bed and they told me it was in stock and ready to ship. A month later when it was actually supposed to ship (not sure why it took a month if it was in stock) they sent me a note saying it was back ordered. So when they took my money it was in stock but when then got around to the promised ship date it was now on back order???

So my date for shipping got moved out a month and who knows when it will actually show up to my house. Their customer service reps are trained to annoy you and avoid answering questions and lie to you. Also they never read reviews, they just ignore them and they have no desire to give their customers a good experience. STAY AWAY from this train wreck of a company that is completely mismanaged.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

We ordered custom couches in September 2020. We received the couches in Feb 2021 as expected, with a smooth delivery. Customer service was great, they informed me of the updates to the couches when I called in. We are very happy with the purchase and the seamless delivery and order updates.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We order Sofa and they keep delay the delivery time for over 2 months, when calling them we heard almost all excused in the world. Covid delay, truck delay, shipment delay, we don't know why... you name it. Store peoples are very nice when you come and place the order but then when they need to deliver, there are only excuses over excuses and they say, "Sorry nothing we can do." Run... Don't spend any $ with them, we had awful experience!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I ordered paring knife January 2nd 2021. Immediately they say they are out and will deliver in February. Now it's February and they now say end of March, they just want your email address so they can send a deluge of emails selling you stuff, they are a total rip off.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I had placed an order on 11/02/20 for kitchen bowls. As of 12/09/20 never received the item and went to check the status on site and saw the order under cancelled status. No email regarding this was received. Very Very poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I just picked up a beautiful fireplace screen in pewter. I had already read the reviews on the store website and was advised that this was very simple to assemble because it involved simply attaching the two feet at the bottom with two screws. Well, I got my lovely screen today. I went to put the two feet on with the two screws (one screw per foot) and discovered to my horror that this was one of the more complicated assemblies I have ever faced (and I put together a LOT of furniture.

The problems included: (1) the holes for the screws were not circular! There was metal material in one of the screw holes which did not permit the screw to turn in the hole. I had to "ream" the hole to fit the screw. (2) One of the screws was rusted, so I had to oil it in order for it to turn in the hole (once reamed). (3) The holes for the screws were so close to the body of the screen, it was almost impossible to turn the screws into the feet. Most significantly, (4) I was not provided an Allen wrench for the holes in the screws (why weren't they just phillips head screws???).

The instructions said that an Allen wrench was included, but the box with the two feet said that it only contained the two feet with two screws. No Allen wrench. Well, that's okay because I have a zillion Allen wrenches, so I assumed that this would not be a problem. Of course, not a single one fit the rather large opening. Either my Allen wrenches were too large or too small. So I ended up using a pliers to try to turn the screws. It was ridiculously difficult for two little screws. I still gave this screen a 3 rating because it really is beautiful, despite the fact that the feet are not tightly screwed in and are therefore a little bit wobbly and because of how difficult assembly turned out to be.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I purchased furniture in July. It was not made clear to me that I had to call them to release my piece from their own warehouse even though they arranged for the piece to be shipped by a third party shipper and were paying for it. That was eight weeks ago. I have no idea now if I will ever receive what I ordered. Will never order from C&B again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Robert ** in the Crate & Barrel Boston store was amazing and helped us furnish a new apartment in Boston within the space of 2 days. He was very helpful in suggesting different types of furniture (sofa/chairs, coffee table, side tables, lighting, dining table and chairs, mirrors, accessories, artwork) that would be available from stock (and not on special order, so it arrived quickly) and he dealt with queries and problems in such a kind and patient way. He monitored deliveries as well to make sure they came on time and let us know if there were delays. We could not be happier with the result. It looks great, Robert. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Ordered a wedding gift and trying to find out delivery. You can not get through via phone and have to text for inquiries. I held for an hour and finally hung up. It would be nice if someone would respond and give me a tracking number. I will call FedEx myself. Not worth the headache or frustration. I will never order from company again. You should be able to talk with a live person.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Order a coffee table and had the options when also requesting a credit card rewards or 6 month interest free payment. 1st the order went in back order and then on hold. I received the credit card but the credit card and order was never linked so I never received the promo. Could not reach customer service. There are no live people only texting. They placed my order on hold cause I owed money but they never sent me a bill. What a disorganized company. What an impersonal customer service. They would rather lose a 1200.00 dollar order than pick up a phone. That should tell you what kind of company they are.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Crate & Barrel, what happened to you? Let's just say this company has taken a nosedive in customer service, particularly their online department. I placed an order online for an item that was backordered. Before placing the order, I contacted customer service via text (they no longer are taking phone calls?) and the rep assured me I wouldn't be charged for the item until it was available. Well that turned out to be a lie, because right before I hit “Place Order” I was warned that I'd be charged a 50% deposit. Uh, OK, whatever. I also asked for a coupon to be applied to the order that wasn't working for me, and, again, the rep reassured me it'd be done. Well, I contacted them 24 hours later, after it appeared the full amount was now being charged to my credit card.

Not only did they knowingly charge the FULL AMOUNT of the order despite what I agreed to on their website (50% deposit), I found out the 20% also wasn't applied. They tried to weasel out of applying the discount because they claimed it wasn't a valid coupon AND said that I would have to pay the full amount because it was a store pick-up versus having it shipped. That made no sense to me and certainly wasn't disclosed when I made the purchase, which means they are fraudulently charging people amounts they don't agree to. I immediately told them to CANCEL the order and I'll never be doing business online again. What a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Back in March I placed an order for a bread maker. Called them and wanted to cancel it and they said it has already shipped and nothing they can do. 2 months later I received this order that at one time was canceled. Wow, 2 month shipping in the U.S., nice try Crap and Barrel. Your excuses and lies are worst than a kindergarten student.

Finally after many attempts of calling customer service, I called a store and talked to your employee who said your operations suck, big time. Their words. After customer service, got back to me almost 3 months later the package was picked up by a carrier they paid for, because I wasn't, cause they are dumb and liars. Here we go and it's mid August and past their 6 to 8 week return policy, to receive credit and I still haven't received anything. The worse company to deal with, find somewhere else to go. If my choice -5 stars.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Ordered an expensive shower curtain for my new house. Returned it unopened as I found a substitute. Nothing, no reply. Contacted PayPal who decided the case in my favor. After PayPal resolution a month ago, still no reimbursement. Bad vendor. I will never buy from them again. And, if you're smart, you won't either.

Crate and Barrel Company Information