2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.8/5 (366 ratings)

About Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crate and Barrel?

Original review: March 29, 2021

Be aware that returning large pieces to Crate & Barrel is a long & tedious process. I bought 2 large Chairs from Crate & Barrel after going to the store to check their return policy and ease of returning, as I wasn't sure the color would work for me. The girl explained that I could either call and arrange a pick up but I would have to pay a restocking fee or I could return them myself to the warehouse which she confirmed was only 10 mins away. When the chairs arrived, I did not like them, so I immediately started the return process by attempting to call the number online. I was on hold for a long time (15mins?) and so took the suggestion of their 'recording' and decided to try texting.

I got a girl (I won't call her name), who was obviously too busy to be taking my case as she responded every 10 mins and then completely stopped responded. It was then picked up by someone else... I then texted back & forth for 1 hour & 15mins, trying to arrange to return them to the warehouse (an appointment is needed to do this and the first available was in 2 weeks)! So then I decided it to pay the restocking fee and have them pick them up. That was a 10 day wait. I assume, sensing my frustration, the young lady called me to discuss. She was very pleasant & we concluded that she would contact the warehouse and get back to me the next day (yesterday). That did not happen. I called today again and spoke to someone else, (also very pleasant) who assures me that someone will contact me either tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully they will...

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

ZERO STARS. Their website is constantly changing with inventory, availability on products. I ordered a bed and they told me it was in stock and ready to ship. A month later when it was actually supposed to ship (not sure why it took a month if it was in stock) they sent me a note saying it was back ordered. So when they took my money it was in stock but when then got around to the promised ship date it was now on back order???

So my date for shipping got moved out a month and who knows when it will actually show up to my house. Their customer service reps are trained to annoy you and avoid answering questions and lie to you. Also they never read reviews, they just ignore them and they have no desire to give their customers a good experience. STAY AWAY from this train wreck of a company that is completely mismanaged.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

We ordered custom couches in September 2020. We received the couches in Feb 2021 as expected, with a smooth delivery. Customer service was great, they informed me of the updates to the couches when I called in. We are very happy with the purchase and the seamless delivery and order updates.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

We order Sofa and they keep delay the delivery time for over 2 months, when calling them we heard almost all excused in the world. Covid delay, truck delay, shipment delay, we don't know why... you name it. Store peoples are very nice when you come and place the order but then when they need to deliver, there are only excuses over excuses and they say, "Sorry nothing we can do." Run... Don't spend any $ with them, we had awful experience!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I ordered paring knife January 2nd 2021. Immediately they say they are out and will deliver in February. Now it's February and they now say end of March, they just want your email address so they can send a deluge of emails selling you stuff, they are a total rip off.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I had placed an order on 11/02/20 for kitchen bowls. As of 12/09/20 never received the item and went to check the status on site and saw the order under cancelled status. No email regarding this was received. Very Very poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I just picked up a beautiful fireplace screen in pewter. I had already read the reviews on the store website and was advised that this was very simple to assemble because it involved simply attaching the two feet at the bottom with two screws. Well, I got my lovely screen today. I went to put the two feet on with the two screws (one screw per foot) and discovered to my horror that this was one of the more complicated assemblies I have ever faced (and I put together a LOT of furniture.

The problems included: (1) the holes for the screws were not circular! There was metal material in one of the screw holes which did not permit the screw to turn in the hole. I had to "ream" the hole to fit the screw. (2) One of the screws was rusted, so I had to oil it in order for it to turn in the hole (once reamed). (3) The holes for the screws were so close to the body of the screen, it was almost impossible to turn the screws into the feet. Most significantly, (4) I was not provided an Allen wrench for the holes in the screws (why weren't they just phillips head screws???).

The instructions said that an Allen wrench was included, but the box with the two feet said that it only contained the two feet with two screws. No Allen wrench. Well, that's okay because I have a zillion Allen wrenches, so I assumed that this would not be a problem. Of course, not a single one fit the rather large opening. Either my Allen wrenches were too large or too small. So I ended up using a pliers to try to turn the screws. It was ridiculously difficult for two little screws. I still gave this screen a 3 rating because it really is beautiful, despite the fact that the feet are not tightly screwed in and are therefore a little bit wobbly and because of how difficult assembly turned out to be.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I purchased furniture in July. It was not made clear to me that I had to call them to release my piece from their own warehouse even though they arranged for the piece to be shipped by a third party shipper and were paying for it. That was eight weeks ago. I have no idea now if I will ever receive what I ordered. Will never order from C&B again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Robert ** in the Crate & Barrel Boston store was amazing and helped us furnish a new apartment in Boston within the space of 2 days. He was very helpful in suggesting different types of furniture (sofa/chairs, coffee table, side tables, lighting, dining table and chairs, mirrors, accessories, artwork) that would be available from stock (and not on special order, so it arrived quickly) and he dealt with queries and problems in such a kind and patient way. He monitored deliveries as well to make sure they came on time and let us know if there were delays. We could not be happier with the result. It looks great, Robert. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

Ordered a wedding gift and trying to find out delivery. You can not get through via phone and have to text for inquiries. I held for an hour and finally hung up. It would be nice if someone would respond and give me a tracking number. I will call FedEx myself. Not worth the headache or frustration. I will never order from company again. You should be able to talk with a live person.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

Order a coffee table and had the options when also requesting a credit card rewards or 6 month interest free payment. 1st the order went in back order and then on hold. I received the credit card but the credit card and order was never linked so I never received the promo. Could not reach customer service. There are no live people only texting. They placed my order on hold cause I owed money but they never sent me a bill. What a disorganized company. What an impersonal customer service. They would rather lose a 1200.00 dollar order than pick up a phone. That should tell you what kind of company they are.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Crate & Barrel, what happened to you? Let's just say this company has taken a nosedive in customer service, particularly their online department. I placed an order online for an item that was backordered. Before placing the order, I contacted customer service via text (they no longer are taking phone calls?) and the rep assured me I wouldn't be charged for the item until it was available. Well that turned out to be a lie, because right before I hit “Place Order” I was warned that I'd be charged a 50% deposit. Uh, OK, whatever. I also asked for a coupon to be applied to the order that wasn't working for me, and, again, the rep reassured me it'd be done. Well, I contacted them 24 hours later, after it appeared the full amount was now being charged to my credit card.

Not only did they knowingly charge the FULL AMOUNT of the order despite what I agreed to on their website (50% deposit), I found out the 20% also wasn't applied. They tried to weasel out of applying the discount because they claimed it wasn't a valid coupon AND said that I would have to pay the full amount because it was a store pick-up versus having it shipped. That made no sense to me and certainly wasn't disclosed when I made the purchase, which means they are fraudulently charging people amounts they don't agree to. I immediately told them to CANCEL the order and I'll never be doing business online again. What a nightmare!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

Back in March I placed an order for a bread maker. Called them and wanted to cancel it and they said it has already shipped and nothing they can do. 2 months later I received this order that at one time was canceled. Wow, 2 month shipping in the U.S., nice try Crap and Barrel. Your excuses and lies are worst than a kindergarten student.

Finally after many attempts of calling customer service, I called a store and talked to your employee who said your operations suck, big time. Their words. After customer service, got back to me almost 3 months later the package was picked up by a carrier they paid for, because I wasn't, cause they are dumb and liars. Here we go and it's mid August and past their 6 to 8 week return policy, to receive credit and I still haven't received anything. The worse company to deal with, find somewhere else to go. If my choice -5 stars.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Ordered an expensive shower curtain for my new house. Returned it unopened as I found a substitute. Nothing, no reply. Contacted PayPal who decided the case in my favor. After PayPal resolution a month ago, still no reimbursement. Bad vendor. I will never buy from them again. And, if you're smart, you won't either.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I purchased an outdoor umbrella from Crate and Barrel online back in May, understandably due to the pandemic things were delayed with delivery. Once the umbrella was received I realized it was too small and I wanted to exchange for the next size up. After multiple attempts and being on hold for over two hours each time with no pick up, multiple text requests and emails with no response either, I was finally able to complete the return via text message communication. After the return was received it took another few weeks to receive the credit.

Finally when I tried to order the next size up umbrella the price had increased from the sale price that was in place when I ordered the first time. I was told that leadership wouldn't honor the request to match the previous discount, they did offer a $50 credit for the the misery I experienced, but the overall increased price is now significanty higher and the umbrella is on backorder until September. Had I received better customer care upfront I could have completed the return in a timely manner and purchased the replacement umbrella at the original discounted price and I would have been satisfied. Overall it's hard to accept such poor customer care from a national company, so many other options available online and locally, I won't ever purchase from Crate and Barrel again. Good luck and God bless!

Original review: June 27, 2020

CLOSED OUTLET in Dawsonville, GA - REMOVE PHONE NUMBER PLEASE - 15 + years of torture is ENOUGH!! This number is my home phone for over 13 years! I'd begged Crate & Barrel to remove it several times, but they've ignored the harassment they've caused by their negligence!

Original review: June 15, 2020

Crate and Barrel's website states Price Match Guaranteed. I inquired about such on 6/15/20 re Hario V60 Buono Power Kettle. I was told that the team leader, Donna, denied the price match because the Amazon kettle had 3 holes for steam and that theirs did not. Mind you, both have the exact same name. Why in the world would a company have supposedly 2 different models marketed with the same name? I reviewed the pictures on the Crate and Barrel website and at least THREE pictures of this kettle had the same 3 holes on the lid that the team leader claimed their kettle did not. Way to do your research to prove, or rather, disprove it is the same exact kettle! I tried to call back but couldn't get through for almost 30 minutes. So, I ended up writing this complaint instead since I couldn't get a real person to speak with the second time around.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Everyone is complaining about their customer service and rightfully so. I understand that times are difficult but that is no excuse if you are still selling things online. They never pick up. No matter when you call, it's always busy. And heck, at least have a callback service or something so we don't have to wait around like idiots. Do not order from them because if you need to change anything or something goes wrong with delivery, there is no way to reach them. Given how badly they are handling this, I will never be doing business with them again. This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a review here, this is how frustrated I am with them.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I've been trying for a few weeks to 'unsubscribe' from Crate and Barrel's marketing e-mails (in Canada), and on at least three occasions used the unsubscribe link embedded in the e-mails. I wanted to unsubscribe as they've been sending daily e-mails during the pandemic, and they've become a proverbial pain. On April 24, I contacted Customer Service online voicing my displeasure, and asking when I would be removed. I finally received a response on May 2 that I would be removed from their list 'within a week'. As of today (May 9), they still continue to send their unwanted e-mails. It's very poor customer service and pathetic distribution list maintenance, and their online 'unsubscribe' seems to be even worse. I watched a short Bloomberg interview with Neela Montgomery, their current CEO, who talks about how Customers are so important to them. From my experience, her organisation fails to deliver the goods.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Ordered a rather expensive patio umbrella just to find out there was no pole or frame, these items are sold separately $130 and require $90 shipping. Just found out that to return I need to absorb shipping both ways $60! Learn from my mistake, use Amazon instead.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I purchased a fireplace screen as a gift for my son. When they received the box it was NOT the size they said in the description and it was damaged. My son called and got the info to send it back and Fed Ex had it shipped back to me NOT to Crate and Barrel. I finally got it shipped back to Crate and Barrel and after 2 weeks still have not received a refund. Called customer service and the package has to be received by 4 or 5 different departments BEFORE they will issue a refund. Well I'll bet they won't wait weeks on end to get paid for a product that someone orders but they will take FOREVER to issue a refund. Be VERY careful if you have to return anything. And they are NOT very pleasant to deal with when asking what progress the refund is at.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I ordered the parcels table in early November and was told it would be delivered the beginning of January. I called to check on the order several times because I received a notice that it was back ordered. Finally found out that it would be available early February. Well I finally received notification that it was ready only to find out the earliest they can deliver is a month away! Word to the wise - don't believe the estimated delivery date - that refers to the date they may ship it. Large pieces are delivered by a 3rd party and be prepared to wait up to 4-6 weeks to actually have it delivered! I will never order anything from them again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I received two Frye Fanny Packs for Christmas gift. They were not what we thought we were looking for based on pictures online. Both fanny packs were returned on December 26th and received in Tracy, CA on December 30. My credit card still shows I owe 98.88 due January 15. On top of my return being timely, we were charged $23 and change to ship these back, which I believe is exorbitant. Now I believe I have to pay the bill, and I'll have to wait to have them return the money back to me. I really like C&B products, but when buying online, it's not certain that satisfaction of the purchase will be there. The items were sent back in their original box and packing. We do not have a C&B in town, so returns are difficult. Most large companies that operate business online do not charge for returns. I was very disappointed with my experience.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

I had a horrible experience returning two patio chairs which I was given as gift. I had phoned and sent pictures. I did not have receipt. They took 15 minutes inspecting them. Finally they came with an offer of $ 50 each, They sell these at $300 each!! They said the restocking fee is 80%. The reason was that the legs of the chairs were showing some use. The chairs had NO FLOOR PROTECTORS!!! One of the manager told me that the cost of the chair was $80. He let out the secret ! They sell it for $375!!! I have no intention to shop there.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I purchased a bedroom set and paid in full at the store near me. Thousand of dollars. Waited 2 weeks for delivery to find out dresser and bed frame was damaged. Schedule a second delivery attempt for another 2 weeks with email confirmation that will be delivered. The day before delivery I get a call saying it was not schedule and my furniture will not arrive as promised. I'm beyond upset at this point. The only solution it's to wait another 2 weeks to be delivered. 6 Six weeks in total!!!!! Its ridiculous. I will NOT recommend this store to anyone who work hard for the money they spent wanting a reliable customer service experience. Never again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I just got off the phone with Crate and Barrel as I was inquiring about delivery of a new bed frame that doesn't use a boxspring and nightstand and wanted to know if they will remove the existing metal bed frame and box springs. Was told they will not move anything that is existing, therefore it is up to me to move my existing bed at my own expense prior to delivery of the new bed frame. They will only deliver and assemble to an empty space. Unless you do not already own a bed and sleep on the floor this is ridiculous!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I'm disappointed to write this review and I LOVE the C & B and CB2 design but I can't say I'll ever order from any of their companies again. I've spent thousands of dollars there and only have bad experience after bad experience getting my items. The delivery and communication of said delivery is deplorable. They are SO glad to take your money but take their sweet time letting you enjoy the items you've worked so hard to purchase.

In this instance, I ordered the Tyson leather chair (custom) and the nesting coffee tables. I was quoted a 8-10 week delivery process to accommodate the customized piece (not sure if I buy that, but whatever) and now we are sitting at 10+ weeks with no furniture to show for it. Any updates on the status? Nope. Not a call, email, VM, nothing. I had to drive down to the store when I hit 10 weeks to ask someone to tell me what was going on (don't get me started on the fact that every salesperson in there pretended I was invisible). Only to find out, part of my order now is delayed.. Why wasn't that held for me when I wanted to have 1 delivery day... so I don't have to take off more than one day from my job that pays for these items...?? Hmmm... so now we'll be looking at about 15 total weeks for something that was supposedly available for delivery the day I purchased it. We'll see if it even makes it by that 15 week mark.

Just got off the phone with the customer service rep at the Dallas locations, by the way. He had no resolution to offer other than rescheduling for another day-- is that a joke!? Also persisted to talk over me the whole time. Wasn't patronizing which I appreciate, but good god- shut up when i'm talking. I'm really upset that I won't be able to spend anymore money here.. oh and I have the CC. No value in their customers. I will be telling everyone about this head-aching experience.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

I ordered a mini Dash toaster oven on October 2, 2019. Was told it would be delivered on 10/24/19. Then I got a message that said it would be delivered on 11/4/19. I contacted them via Twitter. They said they would send me a new one and that I could keep the old one as well. They said they would expedite it and delivery should take one to two days. Well that was on 10/25 and UPS delivers on all days so now it's been 4 days. Contacted them again and they said they would email their warehouse to make sure that they get my order shipped out the next day with tracking updates. So yeah, that's my experience. I will never buy anything from them again. I regret this purchase so much. It's not the toaster oven itself but rather the lack of...service maybe.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Don’t order SASHA Arm Chairs! After 8 weeks of placing my order online for two of these chairs was informed after calling customer service that chairs were delayed one month. Two weeks later I was informed after calling for an update that chairs were now delayed another month and I CANNOT cancel the order. They will not allow it. So three months later no chairs yet. This is truly unacceptable service and Crate & Barrel should have provided information before order placement that these chair orders would take minimum of 8-10 weeks. If I had known this I certainly would not have ordered these chairs. Never buying from Crate & Barrel again, just not worth the headaches.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

Ordered 2 sofas and chair, waited 10 weeks for delivery. Both sofas covered in dirty black marks and one had a hole in. We told them not to bother unwrapping the chair. These sofas were clearly wrapped like that from the manufacturer so clearly no quality control. Absolutely disgusting that not one but both sofas dirty and damaged. We asked delivery driver to take away. Crate and Barrel asked us to keep the furniture but we refused. We didn’t want dirty furniture in our house. So, so disappointing.

Crate and Barrel Company Information