2. Homeowners
  3. Furniture Stores

3.7/5 (192 ratings)

About Bassett Furniture Direct

Bassett Furniture Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bassett Furniture Direct?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bassett Furniture Direct?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I have a one-year-old sofa that is piling terribly. When I purchased it I selected a performance fabric. “Bassett’s performance fabrics are designed to hold up better to daily use. Performance fabrics are a good choice for homes with children and sofa-loving pets because they are easier to clean and more durable than natural fibers such as linen and cotton.” (Bassett) They should NOT market these fabrics as “performance” if they pill within several months of purchase. Customer service suggests using a pill remover every couple months. I shouldn’t have to ‘shave’ my $3k sofa! They sold me an extended warranty but failed to tell me piling is excluded and that the fabric is prone to pilling.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Dining chairs are comfortable and look great. Unfortunately the wood selection for the chairs have splinters and other localized damage to the wood. Two issues: response to correct the identified issues have not yet been started and are now three times longer that the promised time; the chairs are beautiful and significant room for better quality assurance in material selection exists.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Bought a custom dining table and 6 chairs in Oct. 2017. The finish was spotty and incomplete so I sent it back for "repair" right before the warranty period was up. Got it back around the holidays, but noticed a faint ring on the "repaired" side where it looked like a quart size can had been. Didn't have time to send it back due to company coming for the holidays, but should have. The table did not get a lot of use in a household with only 3 busy adults, but over the next 6 months every time we would use it I would notice a new scratch. Only on the side they had repaired. I took pictures back to the store where I purchased in Oct. 19, but they said they couldn't do anything due to it being out of warranty.

The table has continued to get more awful with each use - I have to cover the top in order to use without damaging. It is obvious the repair was not completed and there is no protective top coat on half the table. Thought I would give customer service one more chance before starting over with a new table or an expensive refinishing, but to no avail. This pains me because I waited 20 years for this new table and chairs and I went to Bassett because my previous, way less expensive set lasted me those 20 years and I loved the quality. No more! Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I bought a showcase from Bassett over 15 years ago and it still looks great with no signs of wear or fading. Recently I had the opportunity to visit one of their stores recently out of nostalgia and it was well-kept with great lighting and tasteful, high quality furniture. The salespeople were courteous and helpful. I will recommend this place to my kids when they get out of college since their furniture will last their entire life.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I recently purchased a large couch through Bassett. It was very expensive and I wanted to protect my purchase. Jodi was very helpful in designing my couch and she was also very helpful in convincing me to purchase the furniture warranty, especially because we had gotten a new dog. Well, my dog got to one of the cushions. When I called about the warranty, I was suddenly told there is a no “Paws, Claws or Jaws” coverage. This is completely opposite of what I was told, otherwise I would have not purchased the warranty. Be very wary when dealing with the sales people...they get you coming and going. Always read the fine print...lesson learned. Very disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

Have bought from them several times. Every time there is a problem. Just received my sofa. It was $2400. There is not enough filler in the back pillows. They have not responded to my issue. Will never ever buy from this company again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Bought a 8000 dollar leather couch 2 years ago. Cynthia, the salewomen was kind and efficient. The only problem is she did not inform us of the problem with the leather back cushions. We have since learned that these are sewn on to the back of the couch and Bassett DOES NOT finish the back of leather seat cushions. This would not have been a problem, if just over one year into our use of this couch, the back cushions began to pull away. The seams separating. So I call their customer care and I am informed that "Yeah, this happens to the leather cushions. Each time a person sits down and leans on the back cushions they pull down and will separate at the seams". THIS IS PER THE customer care guy!!!! Ok, so let's fix this. Bassett will send a their guy to fix but WILL NOT PAY TO HAVE IT DONE. I HAVE TO PAY over $300 to get the seams resewn!

Mind you, we have no young children and only adult using this couch. Our $1000 American Furniture Warehouse couch we use downstairs that gets abused by adults and dogs in in better shape. I wish I would've been advised of this problem. I guess anything to make a sale. I wonder if Cynthia will give me some of her commission on my $10,000 furniture purchase from her to pay for the sewing? Doubtful.. Save the headache. Go to American Furniture warehouse. You'll be out a LOT less money!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I ordered 6 custom dining chairs from Bassett. Paid asking price. They were delivered within three weeks. They arrived with incomplete stain and unsanded in many places. One chair had a pull in the fabric. I immediately called the store and customer care. They asked for photos which I sent immediately. That was 10 weeks ago. I had to wait 5 weeks for one of their service people to come and confirm that 4 of 6 chairs were damaged. I have made many calls to Customer Support and they keep giving me the runaround. Received a call a week ago stating they agreed with me but asked for more photos. Sent then and still no response. Emails, phone calls and way too much of my time has been spent on these chairs. The price is high, the quality and respect for my time is not. Very disappointed. Won’t be shopping there anymore.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I want to start by saying that the employees I encountered at Bassett Furniture Mall of Georgia were friendly, helpful, and professional. Angie, the designer I worked with, spent a lot of time with me working on a floor plan, designing sofas, and picking out fabric. This rating is not meant to reflect on the staff, but rather the quality and craftsmanship of their furniture.

If you’re considering Bassett, just make sure you look closely at the quality of their pieces. I ordered 2 custom-made sofas from Bassett and have attached pictures. The stitching is horrible, there are seams on every single arm, puckering, buckling, and the stitching on the front on both ends was uneven as it got narrower toward the legs.

I can’t believe I didn’t notice this before I ordered my sofas because I’m extremely detail oriented and particular, but when I went back to the store I inspected their furniture more closely and noticed that almost every single one of their sofas on the floor in the design center has a seam on the arm approx. 4” from the back. It’s hard to notice on their sofas because of the fabric they used, but my sofas have the same seams and they looked awful! My designer told me that Bassett uses a machine to calculate the most cost effective way to cut the fabric (saving money); therefore, most sofas have seams in that location. Too bad their prices do not reflect that cost savings!

I was in contact with the store constantly on how to resolve this issue. They assured me they would make it right and wanted to make me happy but that “it was a process”. The other issue I have is that every single time they told me I would hear from them later in the week, I never did. I was always the one that would have to call and check on the status of my complaint/claim. Finally, after 2 weeks I called and asked to speak with the store manager, Karen. She never returned my call, but later that day I got an email from DruAnn, the customer care specialist, asking me to come in and reselect fabric for 2 new sofas. I never did find out what the findings of their “process” were. Their best guess is that it was the fabric I chose (which by the way is still hanging with the other fabrics as an option for upholstery).

At this point, I lost faith in Bassett and did not feel good about working with them or getting any furniture from them. Luckily, Bassett wanted to cut ties with me too because I was extremely particular. They took back my sofas and refunded all my money, except the $200 delivery fee. I’m writing this review in hopes of saving someone else the trouble and stress of going through what I went through. If I would have read a review like this, I would have avoided Bassett or at least gone in knowing what to expect.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

The salespeople are very knowledgeable about furniture. They are very resourceful in helping you find the best furniture for your house. They offer different options in material and colors and placement of your furniture. But Best of all is the quality of the furniture which last for years! I bought a bedroom set which still looks like new 12 years later. And the living Room set has withstood 12+ years of kids and dogs and fat people... And still Great! My Dining Room set still has the same chairs and the same glass! It's kind of pricey but it's worth every penny!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I have shopped on separate occasions over a number of years for a dining room set with sideboard, kitchen chairs, and living room furnishings, including leather chairs, lamp, coffee table, side table, framed art, mirror and 2 area rugs. Each sales associate that assisted me was helpful, accommodated my special requests, offered design advice to suit my style, color preferences and budget. Bassett also offers finance options, and warranties. I damaged a side table during the warranty period and a repair person was sent immediately to repair the finish. I have only 1 room remaining that I need to update, and I plan to return to Bassett again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

1 year later and I am still trying to resolve my issues with my furniture that I spent over $4000 on. I would never recommend Bassett to anyone. After visiting the showroom and falling in love with a dining room set I purchased it. Waited my 10 weeks for it to arrive only to be terribly disappointed in the product I received. My table looked NOTHING like the pristine table in the showroom. There were big black "knots" all over my beautiful gray table. I was told "it can't be helped." Apparently it can be...you have a knot free table in your showroom. After months and months and months (9 to be exact) of back and forth Basset finally said I could pick out a new table top. The sales person recommended that I pick a darker top so the knots would be less noticeable. I did exactly what the salesperson suggested as well as under the suggestion of the store manager. I waited once again for the delivery only to be disappointed once again.

The darker table arrived and yes, the knots were much less noticeable, but this time there were all these "worm holes" in it. Holes that look like someone went crazy with a staple gun. My gray table had NOT ONE of these worm holes neither did the one in the showroom so never in my wildest dreams would I even think this would be possible. I went back to the store and guess what? Neither the salesperson OR manager work there anymore. So now I am told by another associate that a technician may be able to fill in these holes.

I wait another 2 weeks for them to get back to me and guess what...NOPE...nothing can be done. Now I am stuck with a gray table that I am not happy with and out $4000. Bait and Switch? Put beautiful knot free and worm free tables in your showroom and deliver ones that are the total opposite. Obviously you CAN produce a beautiful product, you just don't want to sell it. It's only for show. Please think twice about purchasing from Bassett.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I purchased 2 sofas and recliner during Veterans Day sale. The Tulsa store charged over $760 more per sofa than a Muskogee store quoted for the same sofa. I would have waited on call back from the other store but didn’t want to miss the Veteran Day sale with military discount. Some discount/sale! I was told I could pick up recliner but when I called to schedule the pick up I was told the recliner had to be ordered. Delivery was 199. But when I later called to pay the delivery fee, the price jump to 399.00 because they had to change to tax rate on the entire purchase.

They sent me an agreement to sign which states they charge a 33% stocking fee once the order has been placed as well as no guarantee on delivery time which was highlighted in yellow. She said expected delivery is December 15 but no guarantees. I specifically stated I have to have the furniture by Christmas. I have not signed he agreement and have no idea if my order has been placed. I will never deal with this company again.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

When you're paying top dollar, you expect a certain level of service. Not the case with Bassett Furniture. They use an outside company for furniture deliveries -- and if you get a crew of idiots making the delivery, it's totally your problem. Such was the case for us -- almost $7,000 of furniture was delivered by a team of morons who didn't know the first thing about handling furniture. After they bumped my walls, scratched my paint, scuffed my floors and nearly knocked over my lamps - my furniture was finally in place. The drawers don't open and close properly, and my sectional has uneven padding, making one of the seats lopsided. I wouldn't buy from them again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We looked at the Benchmade Live Edge table at 2 showrooms before ordering. We were well aware that no two pieces of real wood are the same, however, the table has MANMADE holes in 1/4 of the top which is clearly a MISTAKE. No one would want this table, it's distracting from the beautiful wood. It was very $$$$ expensive. Bassett says, tough luck. Shameful customer service thru Fayetteville, AR and Corp. We will NEVER order from them again. Their mistake becomes your mistake. Buyer beware!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

We've had two experiences with Basset. Once with a couch and loveseat and once with a sectional. Both times there seemed to always be total confusion from the sales staff from start to finish. It felt like we were dealing with a brand new employee each time. Poor knowledge of products and no real understanding of our order. Every time I called to check or ask a question they seemed totally stumped. Our leather sectional back cushions are all tearing away from the frame after 2 years. We re-ordered seat cushions with new fabric and this has confused the staff every step of the way. So aggravating and we will never buy another thing from Basset.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Save your money and don’t buy from Bassett. I ordered a custom sofa from them and was very specific of the comfort level I wanted. Visited the showroom 6 times prior to ordering. Always dealt with same sales person, and sat in same sofa. Confirmed that the comfort level in the sofa would be identical to the showroom model. Was assured it would be the same.

Sofa was delivered 4 weeks later and it was gorgeous to look at but hard as a rock. Not at all like the super comfy model in the showroom. I reported it to the sales clerk AND the store manager and received the runaround and was told that to put the cushions on the floor and walk on them to break them in. Who does that???! Managed to track down the district manager’s email address after the lack of response from the store level. He simply turned it over to customer service. The Customer service rep was very sweet, but in the end, after them sending a service tech out who simply turned the sofa upside down and also unzipped the cushions, could not resolve this issue for me. This was nowhere near the first piece of custom furniture I have purchased, but I will never EVER purchase so much as a throw pillow from Bassett furniture again. Go to ETHAN ALLEN folks!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Disappointing. After waiting 4 weeks and spending so much money for a quality furniture very disappointed. Two problems: On the Green one the base cushion has a spot there. The green velvet is missing. It is a fabric defect. On the other one of the back cushion corner is out of shape.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Nov 7, 2018 I purchased $14,000 of furniture including a custom upholstered couch for $2600, upholstered headboard, and bedding. As the delivery men were unwrapping the couch I could see huge wrinkles in the front upholstery. I called my sales rep, Gia, and sent her pictures. She first said she would send a technician to iron out the wrinkles. Then said she would reorder a second couch.

The second couch arrived weeks later with the same issue. Wrinkles. I have called the Dulles VA store manager, John **. He said he would refer it to customer service. I am tired of dealing with this. I have asked for the couch to be picked up and a check sent to me since I already paid the credit card bill. No response. Taking advantage of customers needs to STOP! I will not do business with Bassett again. Susan. Reston VA.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Ordered more than $20,000 in furniture from Bassett, including a large, custom-made dining room table. One side of the table wobbles (either through incorrect construction/assembly or damage during transport) but the delivery guys set it up and left... Furthermore, the legs were not properly aligned and installed at the factory that caused uneven spacing at the table top, visible to everyone sitting at the table. We then sent photos to Bassett's customer service, we had to follow-up a week later just to learn that they could not find the photos. Absolutely terrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Bought a Bassett Custom Dining Room table and 4 Custom Dining Room chairs in January 2019. The furniture looks good but it's not so good if you actually plan on using it. All 4 chairs wobbled so they sent someone out to "fix" them. The repairman said the chairs wobbled because my ceramic tile floors weren't level. He said that it's not just my floors but ALL floors that have this problem. I was told the chairs won't wobble as long as I don't move them from where he "fixed" them. So now the problem is if I so much as move a chair 1/4 of an inch out of the spot where this guy adjusted it, the chair wobbles. When I spoke to the manager, I asked if I'm supposed to have the repair guy come out to re-adjust the chairs if I move them around for company, she laughed. I was serious.

NOTE: I never had this problem with my other wooden chairs (made by another company). So, if you plan on buying any Bassett "Custom Made" chairs I think you will have the same problem. After paying approx. $300 a chair they simply suggested I get felt pads to absorb some of the wobble. I'm disappointed and very unhappy about the whole ordeal. On the bright side however, my grandchildren enjoy it because they get to "wobble while they eat!"

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Spent $6,000 on 4 pieces of upholstery furniture. I thought I was buying a quality brand, boy was I wrong. I did look at reviews but somehow did not see this site. I don’t know who wrote all of the 5 star reviews I’ve seen??? I will NEVER buy from Bassett again and will tell any family and friends about my experience so they will not make the same mistake!!! The foam cushion is cheap and has broken down in less than a year and my husband and I are the only ones who use it. The back cushions constantly need adjusting and seams on the pillows came unsewn after two weeks!!! Please learn from our mistake!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We ordered a custom sofa from our local Bassett Furniture store in Ocala FL for our newly constructed house in Aug.1999. We were looking for a specific size, height of arms, and fabric. They were able to fabricate just what we ordered, and 20 years later is still in great condition. Just recently ordered new foam cushion inserts for the seats, and were able to replace ourselves. No deterioration, no cracks, etc., so I would say very good quality furniture.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I purchased two $1000 recliners in a what was pitched as a “high durability” fabric (polypropylene). Within two months the fabric began pilling. At the end of the first year it was so severe and unsightly that I contacted Bassett’s Consumer Affairs department - along with pictures of the fabric. I was told that nothing could be done, they are not responsible for pilling. Second, every few months the bolt falls off the recliner handle and I have to turn the chair upside down to reattach it (after I find it).

Third, at the same time I purchased my chairs, my daughter purchased a $1600 sofa from Bassett. Within six months she noticed an unevenness in her seat cushion. Bassett reordered new foam and sent it to her to restuff. The job of placing a tight fitting foam into a seat cushion was no small feat. Not to mention that we had to have a new expensive sofa repaired. All in all we are highly dissatisfied with the current quality of the company. I have previously purchased five pieces from Bassett about ten years ago and was very satisfied with the quality. Unfortunately I would not recommend buying furniture from this company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I went to Newington branch of Basset Furniture 4 weeks ago, places an order for sectional, in 2 weeks the pieces arrived with damage and store knew that it was damaged even before it left the warehouse. Still they delivered it thinking "no one can see the damage to the leather once assembled!!". Anyways - I paid for the new sofa and I won't accept the damaged parts, so I sent it back. Worked with store and waited again for delivery. Another week and half and this time I find out they have delivered a completely wrong item - Left Arm Chaise was delivered when the order clearly says Right Arm Chaise. Extreme inconvenience and waste of my time, energy and money. Poor poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

After just a couple of years, the expensive leather couch we bought as a long term investment is peeling. Selling a product as genuine leather when it turns out to be bonded is false advertising. Buyer beware when shopping at Bassett Furniture.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The salesperson was so helpful and we had a great shopping experience. However the furniture really is poorly made and the fabric looks awful after just a few years. Definitely the worse sofa I have purchased in 25 years. The fabric is dry clean only and is impossible to keep clean. It picks up every thing that touches it. Also Bassett does not honor their warranty nor does Guardsman who they pressured me to buy for 300 dollars.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

In less than a year after purchasing a Bassett sofa and chair the sofa was replaced by the store I purchased it from because the frame was broken. Since then the cushions are pilling and the seams are ripping. I’ve contact Bassett customer service and all they did was send me copy of the warranty (which I didn’t receive at the time of purchase) and tell me my issues were not covered by the warranty. I have no small children and no pets so there is no reason this should be happening other than very poor quality. They actually told me that the pilling was caused by friction including friction by a throw or blanket. They never even set a rep. to look at it. Please do yourself a favor and NEVER purchase anything from Bassett.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

When shopping for new furniture, we had a bad experience with leather furniture in the past and decided to spend more money and check out Bassett. We purchased two power leather recliners and a sofa with recliners less than two years ago. We spent close to $5000, but didn’t hesitate because we were assured we were purchasing quality furniture. The headrest area on the one recliner looks like the color has worn off, the side of our arms the color is worn off, several marks on the other armrest, and a big white spot on the side of the other. I purchased the extended warranty and was under the impression it would cover these things but in reading the fine print, I realized that was not the case.

I contacted my local store and spoke with the manager. She apologized and said there was nothing she could do since it was past a year since we purchased. She offered to give me the name of a company that I could pay to fix it. I told her that was unacceptable and requested to speak to her manager. We went round and round and she refused to offer any names or contact information for her superiors. I asked for the corporate number and she told me I could look it up online. I left a message with corporate and I’m still waiting for them to call me.

I’ve been on the front line of customer service for 20 years and this is a complete joke and I feel completely mislead and robbed by this store. Had I spent $1500, I’d still be upset but this is beyond unacceptable when you spent $5000. A company with integrity and who has quality products wouldn’t allow this to happen and would want to make it right and correct whatever went wrong. They wouldn’t say too bad, it’s a few months past our fine print. Disgraceful!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We purchased several pieces of Bassett furniture, a little over a year ago and are extremely displeased with the quality. The fabric, on our sofa is showing all-over wear/pilling and the table has multiple small dents/scratches. Several months after purchase I was concerned with the sofa and contacted our store directly (they came out twice over a few month period). Our main concern was the amount of pilling and wear on the fabric body and edges. The representative used a fabric fuzz remover and said the pilling should not continue and suggested to speed the process we could have the fabric cleaned (which would stop the process).

We were also told at this time that pilling was not covered by their warranty. I've since purchased a fuzz remover, had the fabric cleaned and still have found the need to de-fuzz it every few months. After a bit over a year the fabric looks worn and shabby. We are newly retired and did our research before our move and purchase. We truly believed Bassett to be a quality product. We were also told (by our sales person), at the time of purchase, that the fabric we chose was a higher grade fabric (with a higher price point). I believed at the time we had made a quality purchase.

I've had many upholstered pieces over my lifetime and have never experienced this type of breakdown in such a short amount of time (my last sofa was 15 years old and never pilled or showed fabric wear). I'm also not one to complain for minor imperfections, however this was a major purchase, I'm now faced with replacing. At the same time we purchased a dining table and chairs. I agree with others that the wood is very soft and dents/scratches easily. I'm not sure but it may be both softwood and/or an inferior finish. Read the fine print! After contacting both the store and the manufacturer directly I was told they were sorry I was dissatisfied but the warranty doesn't cover my problems.

Bassett Furniture Direct Company Information