1.33/5
Based on 147 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a good furniture store?

Bassett Furniture Direct

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

283 Bassett Furniture Direct Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

In December of 2015, we bought a ~$6000 bedroom suite. We love the style of the bedroom suite; however, we have become extremely disappointed with our purchase. After about a year of owning the bedroom suite, the finish started to peel on one of the nightstands. Thankfully, my furniture markers are able to hide some of the wood where the finish has peeled. Every few months, I have to use the furniture markers to color the spots where the finish has peeled. Now that it is 2 years old, you can certainly see some of the spots where the finish has peeled.

Additionally, we recently found scratches on our bedroom mirror. We can't prove where these scratches came from, but we believe they came from Bassett as we haven't touched the mirror since it is has been in our home. For the price you pay for Bassett furniture, having the finish peel from light - regular use is unacceptable. My wife and I stated tonight that we will never buy from Bassett again and that if we need to replace the bedroom suite, we will be able to do it eventually - like 8 years.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

In August 2017 I ordered a custom 3 piece sectional for over $7,000. I did custom because I thought there would be better quality. In early October my furniture was delivered and the cushions were all puckered between the welting and the sides. Also the fabric was cut too large for the cushions and so there was too much fabric and it was baggy in many areas. The arms of the sofas weren't taut and were baggy, the welting was crooked and the sofas looked like they were upholstered by amateurs. In addition there wasn't enough padding over the arms so when you put your hand on the arms, you felt the wood. They were horrible in so many ways. I refused delivery. I took lots of photos and showed them to the Manager of Bassett Furniture in Middletown, NJ and she apologized to me and agreed that it was terrible.

2 weeks later, I was told that everything was "fixed" and they wanted to redeliver it. The things that were wrong could not be fixed unless they did it all over but I had no choice but to have them bring it back. When they redelivered the sofas, the only thing they fixed was the grease stain and nothing else so I once again refused delivery. A week later I was told that the furniture met the manufacturing standards of acceptance!!! I looked at a discount store and saw that a $500 couch, was better upholstered than Bassett so please don't waste your money.

Now they wanted to redeliver it and I refused so will have to take them to Small Claims Court. Please don't ever use Bassett as they are horrible and there is no remedy with the store where you purchase it. It all goes to Corporate and they don't want to do anything but take your money and give you garbage. Also their Quality Control doesn't exist or this would not have been allowed out of the fabricators.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My 6000 dollar Beckham sectional and ottoman is peeling like crazy and it is 2 months old. Looks horrible. They have offered to teach me how to use a fabric shaver as a “courtesy “. I would like a refund or a sofa in a more durable fabric.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Just received 2 loveseats from Custom Choice Line. The sizes are so much smaller than indicated on all information sheets. Sat down with designer and was talked out of sectional due to size - now, it's obvious it would have been the perfect choice based on the true size. I just want to return the loveseats and get the sectional but refuse to pay restocking fee - the recommendation was wrong.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I bought a chair at Bassett in Livingston NJ and the experience was so fun. I got to pick the chair style, the fabric, and the finish of the wood legs. I absolutely love it. People always comment on how cute it is, and even better that it's super comfy. I've had it for a few years now and it's just as great as when I first got it. I'm writing now because I loved the experience so much that I just bought a new mattress with them. The guys came in and put the bed frame together, and saved me from having to lug everything up the stairs. They were great, quick and careful, and couldn't have been nicer. At the store I worked with Lauren and she was very helpful too. And I can't thank them enough for being so understanding when I needed to delay my delivery. They really went out of their way to make the entire experience pleasant. THANK YOU BASSETT!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bassett Furniture Direct?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

After spending a great deal of time with a designer in the Bassett Showroom and requesting a fabric that was durable, we chose a fabric and ordered a sectional for over $6000. A month after its arrival the fabric began to pill. I contacted that store who told me they would send me a depiller. I was told to continue to depill the couch as needed and that was all they could do for me. The depiller arrived, a small battery operating thing from Bed Bath and Beyond. I then contacted the Corporate office who told me that the depiller would work. Fast forward to almost a year later... The sectional looks worse than a rag and is incredibly uncomfortable to sit on because the fabric is so bumpy. WARNING: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. You will be better off with furniture from Bob's Furniture and they are much nicer to deal with and are all about customer service. Stay clear of Bassett, you will be wasting your money.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

When my husband and I went to the store in Perimeter, Stephanie was there to help us. She was very kind, professional and being able to get our ideas about the furniture preferences very soon. Hence, we decided to work with her. She never make us disappointed on our decision. She took care of almost everything from home measurement, furniture selection and design, and final delivery. Whenever we need her, she's always there for us. Although there was some glitches due to the confusing price lists, she's being able to help us clearing out all items quickly. We like her and will recommend her to our friends.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I can't say we were not warned! We have friends that tried to steer us away from Bassett based on their experience and they encouraged us to read the reviews. The reviews were poor, so we brought our concerns to the manager and saleswoman. They convinced us that we should not take the reviews seriously and that they were confident that we would be happy with the delivery and the product. The delivery was on time and professional and we initially loved the furniture and rug that we purchased. We still love the furniture, however less than two weeks later the rug started to unravel in the area located adjacent to the couch.

It looks damaged and defective. It was an expensive rug but obviously poor quality. I am still in the process of email exchanges as the company is saying that it is "normal wear and tear". So a fraying, unraveling rug is what we should expect after 2 weeks? We sent pictures, but they say that it looks normal, like it's shedding instead of unraveling. We read reviews of what we are now experiencing - company denying that there is an issue and refusing to take action. This review is meant to hopefully save someone from making the same mistake we did. We moved forward and purchased from them despite the reviews. It is in your best interest not to do this.

Updated on 06/27/2017: We purchased a rug that was clearly defective and actually unraveling before our eyes. Initially the company tried to say that this was normal wear and tear. However, after several weeks the sales representatives at Bassett convinced the rug manufacturer that this was not the case. The manufacturer finally agreed to allow us to exchange our rug. The sales representative and store manager helped us pick out a beautiful rug... from a different manufacturer. We are still frustrated that the manufacturer refused to hear our complaint.

We have not received the rug, however we do not expect any problems (fingers crossed!). We love working with the sales manager and sales rep- they have an amazing ability to bring colors and pieces together perfectly. We feel that the manufacturer was at fault, and that the team worked to help us with the problem to the best of their ability.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Bought leather reclining sofa and loveseat 3+ years ago and paid long dollar plus bought Guardsman protection plan. Broken release lever, broken spring, discolored/worn leather --- items not excluded in warranty are now not covered items. With just two adults in home (no kids) why so much breakage? Couldn't even get a Bassett tech to help if I bought parts and paid for service call. Would never buy Bassett again.

Original review: April 11, 2017

On 1/29/17, I attempted to purchase a sectional sofa from Bassett by depositing $1700.00, I subsequently returned to Bassett on 2/8/17 to cancel the furniture warranty and instead purchase another piece for the aforementioned sectional. I paid for that piece in full. After waiting 8 weeks, which was the longer spectrum of the 6-8 week delivery window, I called the store to find out the status of my order only to be told that the furniture had been redirected because they had mistakenly routed it to the 'purchase' address instead of to the 'ship to' address. Please note that I was never apprised of this situation, and had I not called I would never have known.

It is now 10 weeks since the purchase and purchase attempt were initiated and since Bassett has been holding onto my $1700.00 deposit as well as my additional $587.00 and there is no furniture or hope of receiving same on the horizon. I called today and was told by my salesperson, Mary Jane, that the person who tracks shipments would be off until Thursday and that she will be on Wednesday and Thursday. When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told that there was no manager because the manager had moved away. I have been on the phone for 26 minutes waiting to speak to customer service. My advice to anyone contemplating purchasing from Bassett... Don't do it!!! I certainly won't ever make that mistake again. At this point, I just want to move on and get my money back. Buying furniture should not be so aggravating.

Original review: March 18, 2017

Got a new power sofa, power Lvst and power recliner. On the sofa the back is not aligned and the Velcro is loss. I point to the deliver person and told me to contact the vendor. Contact the vendor and they request pictures. I e-mail to them. I was told that they will send a person to repair or to exchange it, after that they went silence and will not answer my calls or my emails and is been 3 weeks. I will never buy Bassett again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

I ordered $9000 (plus shipping) worth of furniture from Bassett on 11/23/16 and was told it would be 6-8 weeks for delivery. Since we live out of town we were required to pay the entire amount upon purchase instead of the customary 50% deposit. On 12/23/16 I was told that the manufacturer had run out of leather and there would be a delay. Of course, no time estimate could be provided. We are now at week fourteen and still no furniture. The only response I get is "I'm sorry", and "I don't know when it will be delivered". I am waiting for a response to my most recent email requesting detailed information on the furniture's whereabouts. So far, no response. After reading others experiences I am beginning to worry about the condition of the furniture, should it arrive. I would not recommend doing business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

I purchased a 'Bassett' brand Copper Top table from Bassett Furniture. Before I purchased it, I asked about the durability of the copper top finish. I was told it is highly durable. Up to this point, I've had no complaints. The other evening we had tomato sauce which unbeknownst to us dripped onto the bottom of the glass jar it was in and thus onto the table top. After dinner I went to wipe the table down and there was a large stain on the copper top where the sauce had dripped. The sauce to table contact time had to have been approx 30 minutes if that.

I contacted Bassett, sent them photos and they said they could do nothing because wine and red sauce do unrepairable damage to the table top. I asked them why this information was not provided to me when I asked about the durability before I purchased it. We are Italian and had I known sauce of all things could affect it this way, I would never had purchased it as we have this quite often. A kitchen table should be able to endure food products spilling on it. I should not have to purchase a warranty to cover a KNOWN hidden (from their buyers) defect in their product. I am very disappointed with their handling of this and will be going elsewhere in the future for my furniture.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

I am writing a negative review because this is the first time I purchased a couch from Bassett. I was so excited and have been saving for some time for this couch. I had a design consultant come and measure the space for me and I trusted her experience and computer-generated drawing she provided for how it would look. When the couch arrived, I immediately thought this wasn't the right couch. It looks so wrong in the space. I have tried to work with the store to return only a portion of the sectional to purchase a bigger portion of the sectional and they are not willing to honor my request. They are willing to sell me a chair, though, to fit the spot that a bigger sectional should be in. I have escalated my request to Corporate and I am waiting for a response. I hope the customer is always right!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

We ordered a dining room table along with a variety of furniture for our new home from Bassett. Nothing arrived in 30 days as promised. Our order was placed on 10/08/16 and we were told that there was no problem receiving it for Thanksgiving. This is 12/14/16 and we have now received all items but our dining room table. We were just told that the table was in Dallas and it would be here on 12/23/16. It would take 10 days to ship it from Dallas to Austin. REALLY. It seems that it will be first to San Antonio passing through Austin on I-35 to reach its San Antonio destination. Then will have to be reshipped to Austin. I have no confidence in their promises having received so many with each being broken. If you want furniture in a timely fashion, shop elsewhere!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2016

On May 28th, we purchased ($3K) a custom dark walnut dining room table with endurance finish with two leaves and a custom dark walnut sideboard. After this purchase was made, we had all of our cabinets re-stained to match the exact color of the purchased dining room table and sideboard. On July 8th, the dining room table and sideboard were delivered. The dining room table finish in one spot was poorly done and one corner was crushed on the tabletop. One of the leaves' edge was poorly done as well. The sideboard top had a damaged spot, which they tried to fix before shipping and one door that looked sun-bleached. We expect variations in wood, but this was too drastic and unacceptable. On July 27th, a replacement dining room tabletop, a replacement sideboard top and a replacement sideboard door were ordered from the factory and we were told it would take 2-4 weeks.

On August 15th, the warehouse called and told us the sideboard door was in, but neither of the tops were in yet. On August 17th, the warehouse called and told us that the endurance finish machine broke down and the part was on order from the manufacturer, but the part was on backorder. In early October, Bassett Furniture sent a third party out to replace the sideboard top and sideboard door. These were finished and installed correctly. On October 28th, the replacement dining room tabletop was delivered. In nine different places, the endurance finish was not complete and/or peeling and one of the leaves did not line up with the table once installed.

On November 1st, the warehouse called and told us that the endurance finish is no longer available and we had a choice to have a replacement tabletop made without the endurance finish or Bassett Furniture could send a third party out to try to fix the endurance finish. We chose to forgo the endurance finish. On November 3rd, the warehouse called and told us a replacement dining room tabletop had been ordered. On November 18th, the warehouse emailed and told us that the dark walnut finish was discontinued as of October 13th and suggested a close match in color. Six months later, we still do not have an acceptable tabletop and are now waiting for a response back from Bassett Furniture.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

If you are looking for service, Bassett is NOT the place. The couch that was built for me (that fact that they built it was stressed when it did not show up as promised). Now that I need a piece fixed, it cannot be done. I can buy a piece of leather for $47 PLUS shipping (we are talking an area less than 6 inches) AND the area is too much for their guy to do. I'll have to find someone myself to get it fixed. So they can build a whole couch but cannot repair yours when you have a problem. Could not be less satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I spent months looking for a sofa and loveseat. I finally decided on Bassett Furniture and the Versa collection. I spent $5K on the couch and in less than 2 years the leather started to peel off. I mean, literally peel off like skin after a sunburn. I contacted the Temecula Ca store, where I purchased the sofa, and told them my issue. The customer service department directed me to a leather repair company. The leather repair company told me that there was a defect in the leather as it was not bonded. They pretty much told me it was unfixable. I again contacted the local store and started to get the whole runaround. In the end, I was told that there was nothing they could do for me as did not buy the extended warranty. Then they continued to quote me $800 to repair the one end that looked absolutely hideous.

What if it only lasts 2 years again? I bought from Bassett because I thought they had exceptional quality and the sales lady sure backed that up with words. Why would I need an extended warranty with that kind of quality craftsmanship? In the end, I am extremely dissatisfied with the product and disappointed with the service. I should have bought at Costco! They would have taken it back!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I purchased a $7000 bedroom furniture set a few weeks ago. When it arrived the wooden bedframe had a piece of wood missing from it, my dresser was all scratched up and my nightstand was discolored and scratched. I refused the damaged pieces, and have had to follow up for over a week with Bassett and they still have not ordered me new pieces of furniture and they refuse to. They want to take the old furniture that was damaged and fix it and NOT order me brand new furniture that I PAID for in advance. YES they were so kind as to not charge me another delivery fee when that old furniture does arrive in 3 weeks--arghh. My salesperson Candace never returned my calls from day one that I called her when the furniture arrived damaged, she said she would talk to her manager (Cindy) and call me right back, but she never did.

Her manager is also the same, does not care at all--I, the customer has had to call back several times and to BEG for new furniture that I have paid for, and they still won't order it for me. They will repair it, BUT THE ISSUE is I did not buy damaged furniture on clearance so it can be repaired, I bought new furniture and that is what I should be getting--BUT I am getting damaged furniture instead. That's the best they can do--well their best is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. PLEASE don't buy anything from this store because if it shows up damaged, you will not be able to return it or get your money back and no one from the store will help you. They just took my money and did not want to give me what I paid for. They are modern day crooks.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

We spent over $10,000 on our furniture. $8,000 of it was on a sofa and love seat. We bought this furniture in Huntsville Alabama. We only had it a few weeks and we notice that the leather on the seat cushions was wrinkling up like the cushions was sinking in. Called the store, they replaced the cushions. Same thing happened, mind you, we paid extra for the extra firm cushions, so this would not happen. We call the main number in Virginia and they replaced the cushions again. Still the seat cushions are sagging. We complained again, and mind you this is during a six or seven month period. The main office determined that it was because the leather was "soft". When picking out this furniture and talking with our designer, I expressed how we had bought leather furniture before and I did not like the leather sagging and the relaxed look. She did not give us any type of information about the leather we were buying.

So now a year has passed and we have a very expensive sofa and love seat. That is a year old and looks like it is 10 years old. The piping around the cushions, which is not leather at all, it is plastic and the painted that matches our leather is peeling off. Stephanie is the office manager in the Huntsville store is a rude and will lie right to your face. She told us the piping around the cushions is out of warranty and it was not. The warranty should start when the furniture is delivered.

We called 1 week before the warranty had expired. I regret buying this furniture, but I regret more not reading the reviews of this overpriced bargain barn furniture. Oh yes, I should also mention after the third trip of delivering our replacement cushions the delivery driver said they have a lot of complaints on the cushions. The cushions have a 7-yr warranty. But now the store or the main office said they will no longer help us. You have been warned! If you want better quality furniture, I would go to Big Lots!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

After less than 10 months of light use my $5000 sofa looks dumpy. The materials are exceptionally poor quality and the warranty service is non-existent. They have told me that my cushions look like hell because of "wear." 10 months of it. They offered that I can purchase new cushions. Do not buy from this company. Expensive furniture and CHEAP, cheap materials.

Original review: July 26, 2016

The sofa and dresser I purchased are poorly made and Bassett has not repaired them. I have now made a second complaint to the Better Business Bureau. The next step seems to be small claims court. Do not deal with this company; service is nonexistent.

Resolution response: March 16, 2017

This has been resolved to my entire satisfaction. Bassett took the furniture back and gave me a full

refund. Wells Fargo Bank was a huge help.

Original review: July 10, 2016

I purchased over $8000 of furniture and I hate it. It was delivered in January. The recliner hits the carpet and I was told by a representative that it will hit carpet and should be used on wood floors. It will not close unless you pick up the front and jam the 3 pieces back. Funny the so-called designer was at my home and the carpet was there then. They sent a repair person out that put a washer and a couple of sticky things on the front feet and told me my carpet was to blame and left. I asked for 2 higher front legs, but NO. The sectional sofa is awful. The back cushions are wrinkly and the front of the seat cushions have a ripple in the front. Not a contemporary sofa which is what I asked for. They gave me $350 rebate and a video on how to 'plump' the cushions every month. My old sofa was over 30 years old and the cushions were still square like they were when new. I should have kept it. I never had to do anything to them.

The sales person told me that the cushions were stuffed with fiberfill in 3 sections that would not 'droop' over time. When I went back to the store to complain about the recliner and the cushions the salesperson said 'well our cushions are over 2 years old yours will be even in 2 years too'. Really? I have to wait for the furniture to 'age'. The furniture must be made in China. I took a back cushion to an upholsterer to see what he could do. He measured the thickness and found that it varied around the cushion and that the welting which should be cut on a bias is just part of the cushion which is why it wrinkles and why the bottom corners are hanging down and have no stuffing in them. I guess I am supposed to fix that too. The corner piece seat cushion does not fit the base and the right hand cushion overlaps it. The left one does not.

The right back cushions also overlap the corner piece, the left one does not. Corporate and the North East manager see absolutely nothing wrong with the look of the sofa. I sent them pictures.The corner back cushions cannot be turned around because they put 2 pleats in the back I guess to make it rounded. STUPID! I can't wait until it needs reupholstering so that I can have it done right. I would not recommend Bassett to any one who wants nice furniture. I wish I had gone to Crate and Barrell instead. Bassett will tell you anything to make the sale, after that you are on your own. Maybe I should take them to small claims court and get them to install wood floors so the recliner will work right. How stupid! There should be a warning not to use it on carpet.

Original review: June 9, 2016

4 inches too short on width and 2 inches short on length. Called salesperson. She said it was "within industry standard". I'm not sure what to do? My friends tell me to sue them for a full refund.

Original review: April 20, 2016

I ordered 3 rooms of furniture March 17th from Bassett from Cindy, one of Tulsa's designers on staff, only to discover that due to some unexpected home repair expenses, I needed to cancel some of the items I had custom-made. I felt terrible, but since my funds were limited, I had no choice. I called Cindy and despite the fact that I signed an agreement of non-cancellation, she worked with me and removed several items to get the price into my range, and agreed to keep some of the furniture already on the way to Tulsa.

My delivery arrived today, 32 days after my order, and the deliverymen were gracious, even moving some old furniture to the garage. (I tipped 'em afterward!) Everything was wrapped in moving pads, but 1 item had a nick from the factory. The deliveryman had markers on his truck & touched it up while he was here. WOW! If you need accommodating customer service and friendly faces, this is the place!

Original review: April 19, 2016

Ordered furniture for my home on March 15th and was guaranteed delivery by the 18th. I have yet to receive my furniture and I feel that the company should not advertise custom furniture in 30 days or less if they cannot deliver! Very upset that I will not have furniture in my home for another week and 2 weeks until my mattress arrives! 36 days and counting waiting on my furniture. Unacceptable Bassett Furniture!

Original review: April 13, 2016

We purchased the leather Montague sofa and love seat from Bassett which we received in December 2015. Despite being assured this was quality and durable leather our furniture is already showing considerable wear and tear. The color is wearing off in corners of cushions, scratches easily and cushions sag. I definitely will never purchase another piece of furniture from them, nor will they ever receive any referrals from me. Very disappointed!

Original review: March 22, 2016

My husband and I purchased a sofa from Bassett Furniture several months ago. We chose the style, cushion content, and fabric all right there in the store. The "sample" sofa was very comfortable and we were completely assured that a sofa "just like this one" would be made for us. It did arrive as ordered by us but after some fairly light use, we noticed the cushions sagged and fabric rolled off the cushion core. We contacted Bassett and voiced our concern. Over the next several months they came to the house three times with several new cores each set containing different fills. All still sagged and fabric continued to roll. We now have eight extra cushions in our basement.

Fabric on this sofa is faulty. It stretches in such a way that it cannot contain the cushion core nor stay in place on the core. Seams are always out of whack on the seats and the backs. Final "fix" from Bassett was that we need to unzip the cushions and backs and readjust the cores. Sofa is SO saggy and fabric rolls so bad, that this would be required several times a day.

What we want... our $2100 refunded in full due to faulty product sold to us. What we did... reported them to the BBB. Report is "on file". What Bassett has offered... a tutorial on how to unzip and adjust the core which must be done several times a day. Also, they said they would give us $250. That check has never arrived. What we will do in future... Never shop at Bassett again.

Original review: March 19, 2016

After months of waiting for a standard factory order of furniture, I am so happy I will never have to do business with this company again. I like their furniture but the employees have not been trained to care for the customer. They want your money, they don't care when you get your furniture. I waited at home two Saturdays for deliveries that never came. I finally got my end tables tonight and there is a scratch in the glass. I'm sure it will be nothing but frustrating to get a piece of replacement glass.

Original review: March 16, 2016

We ordered several pieces of furniture from a Vaughn Bassett bedroom collection. Two identical 6 drawer dressers, among other pieces. One dresser has drawers with a groove down the inside front of the drawer as if designed for a divider, visible when the drawer is opened on the top. The other dresser does not have the groove. The distributor that sold us the furniture agreed it must have been a mistake made in manufacturing and ordered us 6 replacement drawers. Vaughn Bassett would not replace the drawers as they are calling it an engineering change to accommodate movement in the wood. If this is the reason, the other drawers without the "eye sore" grooves should be replaced, so that the ridiculous design of the drawers at least match on both dressers. Poor, poor, customer service. Will never purchase again.

Bassett Furniture Direct Company Information

www.bassettfurniture.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use