1.34/5

Looking for a good furniture store?

Bassett Furniture Direct

Looking for a good furniture store?

305 Bassett Furniture Direct Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 15, 2019

Save your money and don’t buy from Bassett. I ordered a custom sofa from them and was very specific of the comfort level I wanted. Visited the showroom 6 times prior to ordering. Always dealt with same sales person, and sat in same sofa. Confirmed that the comfort level in the sofa would be identical to the showroom model. Was assured it would be the same.

Sofa was delivered 4 weeks later and it was gorgeous to look at but hard as a rock. Not at all like the super comfy model in the showroom. I reported it to the sales clerk AND the store manager and received the runaround and was told that to put the cushions on the floor and walk on them to break them in. Who does that???! Managed to track down the district manager’s email address after the lack of response from the store level. He simply turned it over to customer service. The Customer service rep was very sweet, but in the end, after them sending a service tech out who simply turned the sofa upside down and also unzipped the cushions, could not resolve this issue for me. This was nowhere near the first piece of custom furniture I have purchased, but I will never EVER purchase so much as a throw pillow from Bassett furniture again. Go to ETHAN ALLEN folks!

Original review: April 26, 2019

Disappointing. After waiting 4 weeks and spending so much money for a quality furniture very disappointed. Two problems: On the Green one the base cushion has a spot there. The green velvet is missing. It is a fabric defect. On the other one of the back cushion corner is out of shape.

Get expert buying tips about Furniture Stores delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Nov 7, 2018 I purchased $14,000 of furniture including a custom upholstered couch for $2600, upholstered headboard, and bedding. As the delivery men were unwrapping the couch I could see huge wrinkles in the front upholstery. I called my sales rep, Gia, and sent her pictures. She first said she would send a technician to iron out the wrinkles. Then said she would reorder a second couch.

The second couch arrived weeks later with the same issue. Wrinkles. I have called the Dulles VA store manager, John **. He said he would refer it to customer service. I am tired of dealing with this. I have asked for the couch to be picked up and a check sent to me since I already paid the credit card bill. No response. Taking advantage of customers needs to STOP! I will not do business with Bassett again. Susan. Reston VA.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Ordered more than $20,000 in furniture from Bassett, including a large, custom-made dining room table. One side of the table wobbles (either through incorrect construction/assembly or damage during transport) but the delivery guys set it up and left... Furthermore, the legs were not properly aligned and installed at the factory that caused uneven spacing at the table top, visible to everyone sitting at the table. We then sent photos to Bassett's customer service, we had to follow-up a week later just to learn that they could not find the photos. Absolutely terrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Bought a Bassett Custom Dining Room table and 4 Custom Dining Room chairs in January 2019. The furniture looks good but it's not so good if you actually plan on using it. All 4 chairs wobbled so they sent someone out to "fix" them. The repairman said the chairs wobbled because my ceramic tile floors weren't level. He said that it's not just my floors but ALL floors that have this problem. I was told the chairs won't wobble as long as I don't move them from where he "fixed" them. So now the problem is if I so much as move a chair 1/4 of an inch out of the spot where this guy adjusted it, the chair wobbles. When I spoke to the manager, I asked if I'm supposed to have the repair guy come out to re-adjust the chairs if I move them around for company, she laughed. I was serious.

NOTE: I never had this problem with my other wooden chairs (made by another company). So, if you plan on buying any Bassett "Custom Made" chairs I think you will have the same problem. After paying approx. $300 a chair they simply suggested I get felt pads to absorb some of the wobble. I'm disappointed and very unhappy about the whole ordeal. On the bright side however, my grandchildren enjoy it because they get to "wobble while they eat!"

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bassett Furniture Direct?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Spent $6,000 on 4 pieces of upholstery furniture. I thought I was buying a quality brand, boy was I wrong. I did look at reviews but somehow did not see this site. I don’t know who wrote all of the 5 star reviews I’ve seen??? I will NEVER buy from Bassett again and will tell any family and friends about my experience so they will not make the same mistake!!! The foam cushion is cheap and has broken down in less than a year and my husband and I are the only ones who use it. The back cushions constantly need adjusting and seams on the pillows came unsewn after two weeks!!! Please learn from our mistake!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

We ordered a custom sofa from our local Bassett Furniture store in Ocala FL for our newly constructed house in Aug.1999. We were looking for a specific size, height of arms, and fabric. They were able to fabricate just what we ordered, and 20 years later is still in great condition. Just recently ordered new foam cushion inserts for the seats, and were able to replace ourselves. No deterioration, no cracks, etc., so I would say very good quality furniture.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I purchased two $1000 recliners in a what was pitched as a “high durability” fabric (polypropylene). Within two months the fabric began pilling. At the end of the first year it was so severe and unsightly that I contacted Bassett’s Consumer Affairs department - along with pictures of the fabric. I was told that nothing could be done, they are not responsible for pilling. Second, every few months the bolt falls off the recliner handle and I have to turn the chair upside down to reattach it (after I find it).

Third, at the same time I purchased my chairs, my daughter purchased a $1600 sofa from Bassett. Within six months she noticed an unevenness in her seat cushion. Bassett reordered new foam and sent it to her to restuff. The job of placing a tight fitting foam into a seat cushion was no small feat. Not to mention that we had to have a new expensive sofa repaired. All in all we are highly dissatisfied with the current quality of the company. I have previously purchased five pieces from Bassett about ten years ago and was very satisfied with the quality. Unfortunately I would not recommend buying furniture from this company.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I went to Newington branch of Basset Furniture 4 weeks ago, places an order for sectional, in 2 weeks the pieces arrived with damage and store knew that it was damaged even before it left the warehouse. Still they delivered it thinking "no one can see the damage to the leather once assembled!!". Anyways - I paid for the new sofa and I won't accept the damaged parts, so I sent it back. Worked with store and waited again for delivery. Another week and half and this time I find out they have delivered a completely wrong item - Left Arm Chaise was delivered when the order clearly says Right Arm Chaise. Extreme inconvenience and waste of my time, energy and money. Poor poor customer service.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

After just a couple of years, the expensive leather couch we bought as a long term investment is peeling. Selling a product as genuine leather when it turns out to be bonded is false advertising. Buyer beware when shopping at Bassett Furniture.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The salesperson was so helpful and we had a great shopping experience. However the furniture really is poorly made and the fabric looks awful after just a few years. Definitely the worse sofa I have purchased in 25 years. The fabric is dry clean only and is impossible to keep clean. It picks up every thing that touches it. Also Bassett does not honor their warranty nor does Guardsman who they pressured me to buy for 300 dollars.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

In less than a year after purchasing a Bassett sofa and chair the sofa was replaced by the store I purchased it from because the frame was broken. Since then the cushions are pilling and the seams are ripping. I’ve contact Bassett customer service and all they did was send me copy of the warranty (which I didn’t receive at the time of purchase) and tell me my issues were not covered by the warranty. I have no small children and no pets so there is no reason this should be happening other than very poor quality. They actually told me that the pilling was caused by friction including friction by a throw or blanket. They never even set a rep. to look at it. Please do yourself a favor and NEVER purchase anything from Bassett.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

When shopping for new furniture, we had a bad experience with leather furniture in the past and decided to spend more money and check out Bassett. We purchased two power leather recliners and a sofa with recliners less than two years ago. We spent close to $5000, but didn’t hesitate because we were assured we were purchasing quality furniture. The headrest area on the one recliner looks like the color has worn off, the side of our arms the color is worn off, several marks on the other armrest, and a big white spot on the side of the other. I purchased the extended warranty and was under the impression it would cover these things but in reading the fine print, I realized that was not the case.

I contacted my local store and spoke with the manager. She apologized and said there was nothing she could do since it was past a year since we purchased. She offered to give me the name of a company that I could pay to fix it. I told her that was unacceptable and requested to speak to her manager. We went round and round and she refused to offer any names or contact information for her superiors. I asked for the corporate number and she told me I could look it up online. I left a message with corporate and I’m still waiting for them to call me.

I’ve been on the front line of customer service for 20 years and this is a complete joke and I feel completely mislead and robbed by this store. Had I spent $1500, I’d still be upset but this is beyond unacceptable when you spent $5000. A company with integrity and who has quality products wouldn’t allow this to happen and would want to make it right and correct whatever went wrong. They wouldn’t say too bad, it’s a few months past our fine print. Disgraceful!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We purchased several pieces of Bassett furniture, a little over a year ago and are extremely displeased with the quality. The fabric, on our sofa is showing all-over wear/pilling and the table has multiple small dents/scratches. Several months after purchase I was concerned with the sofa and contacted our store directly (they came out twice over a few month period). Our main concern was the amount of pilling and wear on the fabric body and edges. The representative used a fabric fuzz remover and said the pilling should not continue and suggested to speed the process we could have the fabric cleaned (which would stop the process).

We were also told at this time that pilling was not covered by their warranty. I've since purchased a fuzz remover, had the fabric cleaned and still have found the need to de-fuzz it every few months. After a bit over a year the fabric looks worn and shabby. We are newly retired and did our research before our move and purchase. We truly believed Bassett to be a quality product. We were also told (by our sales person), at the time of purchase, that the fabric we chose was a higher grade fabric (with a higher price point). I believed at the time we had made a quality purchase.

I've had many upholstered pieces over my lifetime and have never experienced this type of breakdown in such a short amount of time (my last sofa was 15 years old and never pilled or showed fabric wear). I'm also not one to complain for minor imperfections, however this was a major purchase, I'm now faced with replacing. At the same time we purchased a dining table and chairs. I agree with others that the wood is very soft and dents/scratches easily. I'm not sure but it may be both softwood and/or an inferior finish. Read the fine print! After contacting both the store and the manufacturer directly I was told they were sorry I was dissatisfied but the warranty doesn't cover my problems.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Poor quality fabric. Spent $5000 on 2 couches. They are 7 mo. old and the cushions are pilling. Fabric was soft and now rough to touch. No help except to come shave the pilling cushions. Save a lot of $$$ and do not buy here.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I ordered a bed and other stuff for more than 5K from OKC store to be delivered to Shrewsbury MA and on the day of delivery it got damaged, the delivery guys took the picture and sent to the local shop, it's taking them more than 10 days for the tech to come as and assess the damage , the side table had a scratch as well. The local OKC store customer service were not helpful at all and suggested that they can't assist since the delivery is to MA state.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I ordered Bench mark oak bedroom furniture in the toffee finish, 2 night stands, a 6 draw dresser and a 5 draw chest. I love the furniture but dissatisfied with the choice of some of the oak used. On some of the pieces, such as the dresser there is a hole about the size of an O in the middle of the top and some other distresses on the night tables. I contacted the Bassett company and asked if these pieces were sold as seconds or just stained over. I thought the quality of the oak would be more selective. My wife seems to think that this is part of look (Distressed) but this is not the case on the wood used on any of the draw fronts so why on some of the tops? I will have to fill these areas in and stain it and hope it looks good. The furniture store said the distress on the ruff hew oak will have distress as part of the normal look.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We bought a sofa, club chair and ottoman and paid over $5000 for what we thought was leather. Apparently we thought wrong! After a few years the leather peeled. I’m a bit of a neat freak and used only the Bassett leather cleaning kit so it wasn’t caused by any harsh abrasives. The sofa and chair were located in the living room and hardly ever used. If we knew that we were buying a leather veneer we would’ve passed on this furniture!!! Such a disappointment from a company that’s been around for so many years. It won’t be long before Bassett doesn’t exist anymore considering the products they produce are crap!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

Save your money! We bought over $10k worth of furniture and it’s terrible! The leather couch is peeling, one armchair has feathers coming out of it, and the coffee table is warping. Contacted them— they send out techs and the manager calls and says the tech is incorrect! Would not buy ANYTHING from Bassett!

Original review: May 8, 2018

We purchased a Bassett Club Level Epic leather couch... more than $2,000 (see first attachment). In less than three weeks, the leather started delaminating (see three photo attachments). A close look at the first photo attachment, shows multiple delamination locations. Zimmerman's Furniture, in Bismarck, North Dakota is refusing to refund.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I bought a large sectional less than a year ago and the fabric is awful... peeling, pulling, losing its look. Over $8000 for something that I was told was very durable looks worse than a dust rag! They even replace the seat covers... blaming a decorative throw. Don’t waste your money. It’s low-end garbage!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I purchased a Bassett sectional from Furniture Direct on Hilton Head Island SC. I spoke with the owner Dennis. I cleaned the sectional cushions the way the brochures told me to and I continued to get rings all over the covers and could not get them out. Dennis the owner recommend that I get the couch professionally cleaned. The reason I purchased the sectional to begin with was so that I would not have to do that. I have had nothing but problems with this fabric. Furniture Direct will not give me my over $4000 back. They want to give me new covers for the seats.

That does not help me as I will run into the same problem. I do not recommend this fabric at all nor do I recommend Furniture Direct on Hilton Head Island. They gave me 6 different ways to clean the sectional. The MFG has never called me and it has taken far to long for Furniture Direct to respond. I am one unhappy consumer. I would never purchase this fabric. The owner of furniture direct told me that they would put a special treatment on the sectional. I have come to find out that it would then not be under warranty. Don't believe everything you see on this fabric. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

In December of 2015, we bought a ~$6000 bedroom suite. We love the style of the bedroom suite; however, we have become extremely disappointed with our purchase. After about a year of owning the bedroom suite, the finish started to peel on one of the nightstands. Thankfully, my furniture markers are able to hide some of the wood where the finish has peeled. Every few months, I have to use the furniture markers to color the spots where the finish has peeled. Now that it is 2 years old, you can certainly see some of the spots where the finish has peeled.

Additionally, we recently found scratches on our bedroom mirror. We can't prove where these scratches came from, but we believe they came from Bassett as we haven't touched the mirror since it is has been in our home. For the price you pay for Bassett furniture, having the finish peel from light - regular use is unacceptable. My wife and I stated tonight that we will never buy from Bassett again and that if we need to replace the bedroom suite, we will be able to do it eventually - like 8 years.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

In August 2017 I ordered a custom 3 piece sectional for over $7,000. I did custom because I thought there would be better quality. In early October my furniture was delivered and the cushions were all puckered between the welting and the sides. Also the fabric was cut too large for the cushions and so there was too much fabric and it was baggy in many areas. The arms of the sofas weren't taut and were baggy, the welting was crooked and the sofas looked like they were upholstered by amateurs. In addition there wasn't enough padding over the arms so when you put your hand on the arms, you felt the wood. They were horrible in so many ways. I refused delivery. I took lots of photos and showed them to the Manager of Bassett Furniture in Middletown, NJ and she apologized to me and agreed that it was terrible.

2 weeks later, I was told that everything was "fixed" and they wanted to redeliver it. The things that were wrong could not be fixed unless they did it all over but I had no choice but to have them bring it back. When they redelivered the sofas, the only thing they fixed was the grease stain and nothing else so I once again refused delivery. A week later I was told that the furniture met the manufacturing standards of acceptance!!! I looked at a discount store and saw that a $500 couch, was better upholstered than Bassett so please don't waste your money.

Now they wanted to redeliver it and I refused so will have to take them to Small Claims Court. Please don't ever use Bassett as they are horrible and there is no remedy with the store where you purchase it. It all goes to Corporate and they don't want to do anything but take your money and give you garbage. Also their Quality Control doesn't exist or this would not have been allowed out of the fabricators.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

My 6000 dollar Beckham sectional and ottoman is peeling like crazy and it is 2 months old. Looks horrible. They have offered to teach me how to use a fabric shaver as a “courtesy “. I would like a refund or a sofa in a more durable fabric.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Just received 2 loveseats from Custom Choice Line. The sizes are so much smaller than indicated on all information sheets. Sat down with designer and was talked out of sectional due to size - now, it's obvious it would have been the perfect choice based on the true size. I just want to return the loveseats and get the sectional but refuse to pay restocking fee - the recommendation was wrong.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I bought a chair at Bassett in Livingston NJ and the experience was so fun. I got to pick the chair style, the fabric, and the finish of the wood legs. I absolutely love it. People always comment on how cute it is, and even better that it's super comfy. I've had it for a few years now and it's just as great as when I first got it. I'm writing now because I loved the experience so much that I just bought a new mattress with them. The guys came in and put the bed frame together, and saved me from having to lug everything up the stairs. They were great, quick and careful, and couldn't have been nicer. At the store I worked with Lauren and she was very helpful too. And I can't thank them enough for being so understanding when I needed to delay my delivery. They really went out of their way to make the entire experience pleasant. THANK YOU BASSETT!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

After spending a great deal of time with a designer in the Bassett Showroom and requesting a fabric that was durable, we chose a fabric and ordered a sectional for over $6000. A month after its arrival the fabric began to pill. I contacted that store who told me they would send me a depiller. I was told to continue to depill the couch as needed and that was all they could do for me. The depiller arrived, a small battery operating thing from Bed Bath and Beyond. I then contacted the Corporate office who told me that the depiller would work. Fast forward to almost a year later... The sectional looks worse than a rag and is incredibly uncomfortable to sit on because the fabric is so bumpy. WARNING: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. You will be better off with furniture from Bob's Furniture and they are much nicer to deal with and are all about customer service. Stay clear of Bassett, you will be wasting your money.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

When my husband and I went to the store in Perimeter, Stephanie was there to help us. She was very kind, professional and being able to get our ideas about the furniture preferences very soon. Hence, we decided to work with her. She never make us disappointed on our decision. She took care of almost everything from home measurement, furniture selection and design, and final delivery. Whenever we need her, she's always there for us. Although there was some glitches due to the confusing price lists, she's being able to help us clearing out all items quickly. We like her and will recommend her to our friends.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I can't say we were not warned! We have friends that tried to steer us away from Bassett based on their experience and they encouraged us to read the reviews. The reviews were poor, so we brought our concerns to the manager and saleswoman. They convinced us that we should not take the reviews seriously and that they were confident that we would be happy with the delivery and the product. The delivery was on time and professional and we initially loved the furniture and rug that we purchased. We still love the furniture, however less than two weeks later the rug started to unravel in the area located adjacent to the couch.

It looks damaged and defective. It was an expensive rug but obviously poor quality. I am still in the process of email exchanges as the company is saying that it is "normal wear and tear". So a fraying, unraveling rug is what we should expect after 2 weeks? We sent pictures, but they say that it looks normal, like it's shedding instead of unraveling. We read reviews of what we are now experiencing - company denying that there is an issue and refusing to take action. This review is meant to hopefully save someone from making the same mistake we did. We moved forward and purchased from them despite the reviews. It is in your best interest not to do this.

Updated on 06/27/2017: We purchased a rug that was clearly defective and actually unraveling before our eyes. Initially the company tried to say that this was normal wear and tear. However, after several weeks the sales representatives at Bassett convinced the rug manufacturer that this was not the case. The manufacturer finally agreed to allow us to exchange our rug. The sales representative and store manager helped us pick out a beautiful rug... from a different manufacturer. We are still frustrated that the manufacturer refused to hear our complaint.

We have not received the rug, however we do not expect any problems (fingers crossed!). We love working with the sales manager and sales rep- they have an amazing ability to bring colors and pieces together perfectly. We feel that the manufacturer was at fault, and that the team worked to help us with the problem to the best of their ability.

Bassett Furniture Direct Company Information