1.39/5
Based on 94 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 2, 2018

108 Waffle House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 2, 2018

I recently went into the Waffle House located on Valley Avenue in Birmingham, Alabama. The experience was absolutely terrible. We had to wait nearly 15 minutes to sit at a table. Several tables were left dirty while 2 servers were engaged in conversation with each other and another one was on her cell phone. Conversations among the employees was loud and vulgar. I did complain to the manager, to no avail. He was only concern with where I was from. Someone needs to pay that location a visit and evaluate. I would never recommend going there nor would I go back.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I would like to take this time to express on the staff and the food at Waffle House store number 737 on Laurens Road, Greenville, SC. Our waitress was **. She was wonderful... very thoughtful and caring. She was the best waitress I have had by far at any Waffle House. The cook ** was also very good. I asked for their names as I was leaving and they gave them to me without questions. I have eaten at Waffle House all over the country and this one was far above and beyond the best. Very clean and helpful... Can't say enough about these two. Thanks and I will return only for the waitress and cook were so good.

Get expert buying tips about Chain Restaurants delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Me and my boyfriend went to Waffle House tonight for dinner and everything started off good but when we sat and had to wait 15 minutes and our food hadn't even got started cooking yet, we got a little upset, to find out the cook was in the back on the phone. I use to work at Waffle House and we were not allowed to be on the phone. I also didn't understand if the cook was on an important call why didn't our waitress at least start the food. I always started cooking if the cook was busy when I got an order. My boyfriend said something when the cook finally come out and she basically snapped at him. I just don't understand what is going on with all the Waffle Houses anymore. Everyone I see nowadays are never busy like it was back when I worked for the company. It just seems the staff at all of them just don't care anymore and it's a shame because I really like going to Waffle House.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Been trying to call in a order here since they opened the store years ago. They keep the phone off the hook I would assume CONSTANTLY. They don't pay people back for bad service in the store in ANY way. Every time I go there, employees are cursing and arguing with each other. I could go on but it would literally be every single way you can have a bad experience. This store is a joke and I will never give WH my money again. I hope you go bankrupt and move in a store that cares for good business and customer satisfaction.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

The men's room was nasty. The kitchen floor look like it hadn't been cleaned in 2 weeks. The grill was all nasty and black food tasted old and the management was just plain rude to everybody in the store. Even the employees was had a nasty ** attitude. They have a bunch of dope heads running the place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Waffle House?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

The staff was friendly at the Manhattan location however, I noticed a bull or rat terrier along with large dog bowl and bed chained to a pub stool at the counter with the owner, needless to say they both were eating breakfast. Few of the customers were complaining stating that it's unsanitary and the on duty manager said or did nothing about situation. Nevertheless, I get all the way home to find hair on my food!!! Disgusting. It may help if there was a sign posted on the door, "No dogs allow!"

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Upon entering unit 1196 there was no greeting us. The staff was engaged in arguing with each other. We had to seat ourselves, we should have left but decided to stay... What a mistake. It took our server Rochelle 15 minutes to come to the table. She took our order and brought our drinks right away, OK maybe there's hope we thought... Wrong. We both order all stars and asked for it to come out altogether, we also asked for warm syrup. After 40 minutes our waffles came out dark as hell when we ask to recook them she gave attitude and rolled her eyes. The eggs came out under cooked and toast was cold, but our hashbrowns were fine.

We asked to cook the eggs a little more. At this point you can see she was annoyed. Finally the waffles came out perfect with butter, had to ask for the syrup but she never heated it up. The bacon was burnt and at this point we just said forget it. We told her we were leaving and refuse to pay for the bad food and horrible service. The manager who went by the boss refused to give us her name and threaten to call the cops if we didn't pay. At this we just left. That place is the worst of the worst. Please do something about this.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Placed to-go order at Waffle House in Bel Air, Maryland. Spent $31.75 for food that was both undercooked and overcooked and they forgot 2 sandwiches. I called Corporate in Norcross, Georgia and spoke with CEO (Walt Ehmer). He promised full cash refund. Letter for $10 was sent a week later. Called back and Walt said they dropped the ball, but a gift card would be coming. I said I didn't want a gift card and he promised refund cash/check. Had to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau and awaiting a reply. Bad food, jerked around and lied to by CEO -- avoid Waffle Houses at all cost! I spent $31.75 for nothing!

Original review: July 18, 2017

Why so cold? This reduces the enjoyment of the meal at 8:15 a.m. The temperature in the customers dining area was 64 degrees. When I asked the server if there was something that could be done about the temperature she replied, “the thermostat is in the commissary”. I assumed she meant storeroom. Seems like the thermostat should be in the area of the customer. When we left the temperature had dropped to 62 degrees.

The temperature problem seems to be a common denominator in the Waffle Houses that I have visited over the last few years. I can understand that you don't want it so comfortable that everybody wants to stay, but it seems also that running an air conditioner in summer to maintain 62 to 64 degrees is costing you a lot of money. Your attention to this situation would be greatly appreciated. Service and food were excellent but the atmosphere needed attention. The store in question was the one located at Bells Ferry Road and Highway 92 Acworth Georgia. Again thank you for considering this problem.

Original review: March 31, 2017

The last three days in the fake Philly gets more nasty every time. I think refrigeration problems, your workers don't care. What boss? Is there one? I am a family that orders for years and the one in Monroe, GA is the most dangerous. I had food poisoning and others in the family stuck in the bathroom, due to uncleaned place. You need someone to fix this before the health dept gets involved...

Original review: March 8, 2017

We visited the new Waffle House in Albany, Georgia and Ledo Road. The store was very clean but considering it has been open for only a few months it should have been. We were appropriately greeted as we entered and a waitress immediately came to our table when we were seated. She was friendly and checked on us regularly but was too often to give us time to talk at the table. Our food was fast and tasted great.

When we were finished with our meal I asked the waitress to come back with the manager. I could see she was wary but she quickly did so. We just wanted to share our positive experience with the manager and point out our great service. We find that folks are quick to complain but slow to praise and since we had a few minutes decided to share our experience. The manager was thankful. We learned he was in college and we were impressed that he could hold a managerial position while going to college and that Waffle House had the wisdom to give a young kid, still in college, the opportunity to run one of their stores. I would definitely recommend this Waffle House location to a friend.

Original review: March 8, 2017

My experience at the Waffle House in McDonough on Hwy 81 was a overwhelming. As soon as I walked in I knew I should have turned around and left. I noticed tables were all full of dishes. The floor was nasty. Water close to the counter that was left on the floor. I told the waitress and she just put a sign out. I also noticed that the floor behind the counter was as nasty as could be, greased to the max. Waitresses looked so dirty and looked like they crawled out of bed. One customer walked in and then left after she seen how nasty it was. Someone needs to clean up. I am sure it wouldn't pass inspection if a inspector came out to inspect.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

After reading some of those reviews... I am hesitant to make my remarks. In complete fairness to Store #1474 in Webb City Missouri I do NOT have a complaint about their service. I do NOT have a complaint about the food. I do NOT have a complaint about the food preparation. I do NOT have a complaint about the cleanliness of cooking area. I do NOT have a complaint about the cleanliness of the building. I do NOT have a complaint about the cleanliness of the seating area. I do NOT have a complaint about the friendliness of the staff... However when we visited at about 6:15PM CDT today the music was so unbearably loud the waitress could not hear us place our order... there was no way that my wife and I could visit. We asked for them to turn it down. They contended that in so many words it was 'piped-in'. I am quite reluctant to believe that...

We are not infrequent patrons to this store. We closer to the Joplin store... but the smoking was much worse in Joplin. I understand that both are non-smoking... that is a good thing. However, I have been in #1474 when the music was not loud. I am 77 years old. My wife 74. Each of us have very good hearing. We both work five/six days a week… self-employed. Quite frankly I have done tax returns for 52 years. We work together. We are dealing with extended returns... due 10/17/16. I am not a 'kitchen-table' preparer. Over these years I have been responsible for the preparation of over 243,000 federal and state returns. Did not do them all but was responsible for the work.

I have had a long hard day and still more work to do tonight. When we went to #1474 I stated to wife that I needed a break more than I needed something to eat... I did not expect to find a loud stressful atmosphere... compounding that by their refusal to turn it down. I know for blame sure that they could unplug it. There was NO customer in the place that had money in the machine. It had to be an employee or manager that had feed the machine. I told the waitress that I would vote with my feet. There was a eatery that kept the dining room COLD for the coos' comfort... when the waitresses tips diminished they brought pressure on the manager and the thermostat began to favor the patrons. I hate to take my anger out on waitresses. They barely make a living wage as is. I guess that I will just vote with my feet.

Original review: June 17, 2016

My husband and I traveled for 12 years and have eaten at Waffle Houses in almost all the state. We always had a good meal. Tonight we went to the Waffle House on 484 in Ocala, FL just off I75. We were the only customers at 6 PM and 5 min later another couple came in. The other couple got their food first and we waited. I received my cheese steak wrap and it was so cold the cheese wasn't even melted and the meat was dry and burnt, when I complained it was put back on the grill and the outside of the wrap was burnt. I refused it. The cheese steak sandwich my friend ate was in the same condition but she ate it. And when we got home she got very sick. My sister got a burnt cheeseburger that was cold also. The old man that cooked should be fired, he starts at 2 pm, so I will never go there again when he cooks. No wonder the place was empty.

Original review: June 6, 2016

Me and my sister stopped at a Chattanooga, Tennessee Waffle House. We ordered our food. The eggs were way undercooked, had to ask for more. They did correct this. My sister's have black all over from a uncleaned grill. Don't think it had been cleaned over several shifts. The tables were dirty. They half added wiped them down. Floors were dirty. Roaches on the table. Never going again. Even the Waffle House in my hometown Guntersville AL, the food is terrible but at least they were clean. Don't think I'll ever eat at any Waffle House again.

Original review: May 21, 2016

Don't eat at Waffle House's!! I'm a truck driver and have been doing my own investigation on them for months. I have visited more than 20 of them in the past few months, and I'm seeing the same thing happening in every one I visit... The cooks handle raw meats such as bloody steaks, bacon and egg drippings, then wipe their hands on their apron and proceed to grabbing bread out of the toaster, or picking waffles out of the waffle iron... I would certainly think that the health department knows about this, since it has happened in every one I've visited... I don't know why they are allowed to stay open. Are the health department investigators getting paid off? I challenge anyone to go into one, have a coffee, and observe for themselves...

Original review: March 29, 2016

I loved the food, but the place was dirty. With these places, it's hit or miss. Half the time you get a dirty Waffle House. The other half, you get a clean one. It's very unpredictable. They all have great food, it's just that half of them are dirty and sometimes you'll even hear some swearing being tossed around. I would really recommend that if you go to a Waffle House, to scout out the place before you actually make your decision.

Original review: March 18, 2016

Let me start by saying, I love Waffle House. However I just found out that for the best 2+ years, I have been being charged extra for egg whites. To charge someone extra to remove a yolk from their eggs is just ridiculously. As a long time customer of Waffle House, this was my last trip.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

The cooks at 902 location Indian river rd of Virginia beach va are very rude and unprofessional. A very unprofessional conversation about sex with men and women were going on while eating my food. A lot of gossip. This Waffle house gave me a bad experience. I went to Waffle House to eat a meal in peace and catch up on some work I needed to do. The staff was so loud also. I will never be returning. Very disgusting silverware, restrooms smell of urine and the list goes on. Very unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2015

Put damaged syrup in my to-go bag and ruined my new car. Refuses to fix or even do anything, won't even take my calls.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

Every time I order a to go meal from Waffle House it is the same repeated order and every time if I do not ask or remind, they forget to put the chili on the hash browns and the gravy on the hash brown. The last order that we placed there, they got it completely screwed up and backwards and this is every single time and not one time have I been offered a receipt.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

Williamsport Waffle House - When I received the food it was cold not warm but cold and it tasted awful so I went back to get my money back. When I got to the Waffle House the staff was hostile and turned onto an angry mob. While I was waiting on my money she kept making excuses about the food and became extremely belligerent and angry. Then the entire staff was verbally attacking me. It was very scary actually and 2 black men followed me as I exited the building. I was truly tired and fearful for my safety. Considering taking safety measures at my home as they now know where I live. Safe to say I wont be going to any waffle house any time soon. I believe they hire convicted criminals fresh out of jail... Very sad and scary.

Original review: July 29, 2015

I have been a well paying customer for some time. I had an altercation with a waitress. I said I thought another waitress looked very pretty.. Next thing I know on the fourth of July my phone gets blown up with text from the lady I commented about. I been talking about her and it needs to stop. Ok... I thought about it awhile and I confronted the waitress about her gossip. Later another employee told me she had been telling everyone I threatened her. Not true. tried to explain to her that gossip and teasing, bullying at a place like that needs to stop. How many people have gone postal over less? I do not want to be enjoying my eggs and get a bullet because of her gossip. I have seen many regular customers lately get ran off over stupid gossip and harassment. A local lawyer, a man and wife that has a heavy equipment business, several people from different walks of life. There is, I have found a lot of regular customers gone.

Never coming back. Can a business like yours pick and chose who you want for customers? Not if you want to make money. I was banned from there accused of making threats I did not make. The waitress is a gossip and she lies. Now my good name is tarnished. And you lost about $20-$40 dollars a day from me. And I came very often. Sad. The "owners" believe a lie over a long time customer. I do not think the owners=The Odoms need the franchise anymore. You need to find new owners... And have them drop the criminal trespass held at the police dept. It is a unfair thing to hold over someones head with no recourse. I may seek a court decision on this, maybe a lawsuit will open Mr. ** eyes. And I pray every day that the gossip will not cause an incident. We read and hear about such things every day.

I have many friends at Waffle House. I do not want to read about something awful happening there. I could not bear it. They do not pay the employees very well there. I hear they cheat them often. I gave one employee insulin because he could not afford it. Sad. Do I sound like a person that would harm anyone there? I made a vow years ago to never hurt another living thing. I intend to keep my vow. Thank you for reading a rather long letter. Now it's up to you Waffle House. Make it right!

Original review: July 21, 2015

On 7/10/15 @ 11:50 approx. My husband and I visited this establishment. My husband needed to eat due to medical condition and I got us lost. We went in; ordered, place was dirty, employees standing around. Food came, my husband started to eat (grits and bacon, old) and I ordered a chicken salad which was wilted. I didn't want it and I didn't order anything else. After a few minutes a person approached us and said "Nothing is wrong with this salad." She was upset and said we should pay for it, although I didn't even touch. Then she stood there and watched us. After that she said we disrespected her and for us to leave now, or she would call police. I said "My husband is sick - needs to finish, then we'll be happy to go." She even brought to go boxes.

As we left two cooks followed us out. OK we're old and my husband is sick. All we wanted was a meal and to be left alone to finish. Contacted Waffle House customer service and owners, sent me a few coupons, I sent back. They checked out the video and said the manager was wrong. But she's still there. So if you want to be degraded, threatened, and humiliated by all means go to a Waffle House in Tempe, Mesa, Apache Junction, Az.

Original review: July 3, 2015

Night shift is always very poor service. Coffee cold, workers are on some kind of drug for it to be new - they are making Waffle House look bad - dirty floors, manager sucks, lost cook, lost sausage, very poor service. Until a elderly lady - I think ** - clock in and got it in order. She should be manager. Before you lose your customers put her in charge and Waffle House will profit. Thanks and god bless america.

Original review: June 13, 2015

Food was hot... and fresh cooked the way I asked. Everyone was very pleasant. Will definitely come back.

Original review: May 23, 2015

This is about the Waffle House in Little Rock and North Little Rock Arkansas. My wife and I go into a Waffle House and there are 10 employees on the working floor and we go in and sit down. There are 10 customers already there when we came in. Some were already eating. We sat there for 10 min and the our counter still had dirty dishes in front of us. We called out and got our drink order out and they finally got the drinks and the counter cleaned. 6 of the employees were standing in a bunch in the middle of the floor discussing life. As we heard ourselves. The manager was washing dishes because the tables were full of dirty dishes.

Well to make a long story short we finally got our food ordered and when it finally came it was wrong but got it corrected. The only reason I'm writing this is because this is the second time in two visits at different stores. To be fair there is one store we normally go to that has excellent service. Even when things are going wrong there we get above average service.

Original review: May 10, 2015

Table tops felt wiped at, not cleaned, stained coffee cups, floors looked as though they had not been swept completely for many shifts. The attitude of some of the waitress need a LOT of work!! Some uniforms look really unkempt.

Original review: May 2, 2015

Waffle House 5875 Tx-105 Beaumont Texas 77708 - Called in a order for pickup. Price was higher than normal. I ask why? I was told I was charged 10% gratuity. Please explain to me why I'm being charged for services that was not given to me. This have to be against the law. Its my choice.

Original review: May 1, 2015

On Sunday after church for several weeks we have stopped in for lunch at WH in Maumelle, Arkansas on I-40. Last Sunday we thought we would try one more time to see if service was offered that day. There were a few customers on one end of store with workers on break at the tables in that area. A worker was sweeping in the area where we stood for a few minutes. We left after a few minutes when no offered to wait on us. Service has been poor there lately but this was the worst. We won't return to that location. In years past it was a pleasant place. Sad to see it decline so.

Waffle House Company Information