2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.17/5

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

BOTTOM LINE

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

PROS
  • Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door
CONS
  • Multiple fees

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
    • Specify where you want the order dropped off
    • Add a payment method
    • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
    • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
    • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
    Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
    Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
    When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
    What if Uber Eats takes too long?
    If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
    Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
    Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: April 22, 2021

I place a chicken order at local chicken only to be called by driver after 40 some mins. That they were out of chicken and was going to cancel order. Meantime I ordered from another company. Then I got 3 other phone calls and on all of them I told the what I have written above. I tried contacting customer service, phone number was worthless, app help was worthless and NO OTHER way to contact customer service, no email, no alternate phone numbers, etc. Meantime doorbell rings and my original chicken order was there. Again couldn't contact customer service. 20 mins after that my backup order was delivered. This was very 1st Uber Eats order that I tried. I WILL NEVER USE THIS CRAP EXCUSE FOR A COMPANY.

Original review: April 10, 2021

I tried for 1/2 hr to cancel order. The promotion code did not work so I tried to cancel. I even called the restaurant and they had not received the order yet. So I should of been able to cancel. 1/2 hr later restaurant called and said it just came in. I felt bad for the restaurant and said just send it because I cannot cancel it on my phone app or computer. I will never do business with Uber in any form and will tell as many people to stay away. Use Door Dash, I have never had a problem with them. It was just the Promo code giving me 30 dollars off. What a scam. I will Disrupt with my credit card company as soon as it clears.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I place an order for lunch at 11:40 am and paid for priority delivery which changed the time of delivery from 40-50 minutes to 20-25 minutes. I watched tracking of my delivery and 3 times there was a driver picking it up, 3 different drivers...It is now 1:00 pm and my order has not been picked up yet. If I cancel, not sure if I'll get my $ back. There's no way to contact support, just links on why it can be delayed. I should at least get my $ back for priority delivery...Ridiculous, I will never use Uber Eats again!!

Original review: April 6, 2021

This company's Customer-service is pure garbage. They have the ABSOLUTE worst customer-service I've ever experienced and I will WALK or STARVE before I use them in any way ever again! Dishonest company run by a bunch of money-grubbing scumbags... I deleted my account and I'd suggest EVERYONE else do the same! The irony is that this hate & discontent was all 100% caused by me making the mistake of using a coupon-code and signing up for an un-cancellable trial!

Original review: April 1, 2021

I ordered food via Uber Eats that was not delivered and no contact was made by the delivery person. I had paid for part of the order with Uber Cash and the rest via PayPal, including the tip. I disputed the order through Uber's mind-bogglingly terrible customer service system and eventually got a refund of the amount paid with Uber Cash and then disputed the charge via a Paypal claim for the rest, because Uber refused to refund that portion back to the original payment method (Paypal). Paypal eventually completed the claim and refunded me, but Uber kept the Paypal amount on record for that order as "unpaid".

Therefore, when I took an Uber ride two weeks later, Uber automatically deducted the cost of the "unpaid" Uber Eats amount from my Uber Cash before it would authorize the payment of the ride. It effectively voided the legitimate refund that Paypal force it to give for an undelivered order. I had messaged Uber prior to the ride to try to fix the issue but heard nothing back. I have messaged them since the ride to try to get the refund resolved and have heard nothing back.

Original review: March 27, 2021

I ordered 5 meals from Uber Eats. Only received 3 and very cold. Tried contacting driver but number didn't work then used app to contact support to get refund and still haven't heard back from them. I just want my money back for what I didn't get. Please if anyone sees this DO NOT USE THEM! Never had a problem with any of the other delivery services.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I had lost my job due to covid and decided hey why not deliver some food. The app is terrible to start off. I have never even gotten it to work or let me deliver. There is a defect in the app that denies my car. I have spoken with customer service and asked for managers and am denied every time. The customer service reps have no clue how to fix my issue, continue to torture me by endlessly putting me on hold and never fixing my problem. I have even been randomly just disconnected and then sent a follow up that say we're glad we were able to help you. WTF. You didn't help with anything and just hung up on me!? I'm deleting the app and will just use other services to deliver with.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I ordered many times food from Uber Eats and most of the time everything was fine. Delivery time was good and had a good service from the delivery staff most of the time. Uber eats deliver from some restaurant that would not deliver otherwise which is great. What I did not like is that sometimes they do 3 deliveries at a time and it can take longer. Also that the customer support is nonexistent. There is no way to contact uber eats or if there is a way it is not stated anywhere in my cell phone app. Another problem is that sometimes they gave me free shipping when delivery was taking longer than the time they gave me but recently they gave me no free shipping. The language is not always in my language. I am French and sometimes things are in English. I have to remove 2 stars for those issues but I still appreciate uber eats even if it's not perfect.

Original review: March 10, 2021

My husband has been working as an Uber Eats driver for more than a year at this point, and has always maintained a 4.8 star rating and above from consumers, and is more than willing to accept orders that are worth his time. He and I have spent extensive time trying to research the best ways to Uber, and best strategies which include being selective about which restaurants to pick up orders from (some have long lines/wait times, etc...), or to be selective with what orders are worth the time ($4 for 8 miles? Or decline that to get a $15, 7 mile offer? The choice is clear). We have spent a lot of time perfecting this as a craft, and it wasn’t until more recently, that the orders became an issue. My husband is worth more than a barrage of $2.50 orders, so he declines those because they are not worth the time.

Uber’s so-called algorithm, is supposed to learn driver preferences, so that the orders that they receive are likely to be accepted. Of course, it’s not 100% accurate, and my husband will give Uber the occasional bone by accepting a lower, perhaps $5 order, to optimize his acceptance rate - but this is unbelievable. My husband is a Diamond-level driver, with an impressive track record of gastronomically satiated and satisfied customers. And he got thrown 10 consecutive <$4 orders for the last hour, and was demoted from receiving diamond-level benefits.

Uber support is the equivalent to the air in a bag of Lay’s chips. They send you untimely responses, well, facsimiles of responses because they are just as effective as the air in a bag of Lay’s chips - appropriate metaphor for this salty air-filled company. If Uber actually cared about its drivers, they would spend more time and energy into optimizing the algorithm to send orders that drivers will accept.

Sincerely,

A satisfied Postmates customer ❤️

Original review: March 8, 2021

I ordered from Uber Eats but had to cancel the order immediately. I got an email cancellation confirmation so I assumed the charge would be taken off my card in 48 hours. When it wasn't removed, I contacted customer service, who told me that I have to contact them within 48 hours (same amount of time all OTHER companies need to remove something from your card) to get my money back. They didn't even offer a credit! It is obvious that they go around charging everyone's card, hoping they won't see it within the allotted amount of time. Shady business practice from a shady company! Don't use Uber eats if you don't like being robbed!

Uber Eats Company Information