Uber Eats

Uber Eats Reviews

About Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door
Cons
  • Multiple fees

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
  • Specify where you want the order dropped off
  • Add a payment method
  • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
  • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
  • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
What if Uber Eats takes too long?
If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

Stars Rating

• 3%
  • 96%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 13, 2024

How is it that Uber eats is still in business when 96% of the reviews are 1 star. Anyway my experience with them on 7/12/24 was infuriating. The driver was up the road about mile from me when he got lost. When I spoke with him, I gave specific directions and a description of the house. I told him he just had to go another mile down the road. I even said I would wait outside for him. All he did was give me attitude and complain. He did not put any effort into finding my house. He also hung up on me and I could not get ahold of him when I called back. He ended up delivering to the wrong house. Terrible experience. Very incompetent and lazy driver. Uber eats is a joke!

Customer Service

Reviewed July 13, 2024

I am a Uber merchant. I have a restaurant. Someone hijacked my account, account take As they call it, I must’ve got 100 calls on March 7 asking for a code then they stop calling me and they hijacked my account. Now Uber Eats does not want to take responsibility

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed July 10, 2024

Uber Eats refuses to refund me for an item I paid for that was not included in my order. I’ve made multiple attempts to get refunded and they continue to refuse even though I clearly told them I didn’t receive the item and sent in multiple photos of the order I received.

Reviewed July 5, 2024

First time using this service. Ordered food at 1130am. Said it would be here by 130 at latest. At 120 they canceled my order. Refuse to compensate me, refuse to deliver the food, refuse to do anything. Avoid at all costs. I will be closing my account asap.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 4, 2024

We use this service 2-3 times a week for restaurant delivery. Generally, the delivery drivers are cordial and well-intentioned. NOT SO, customer service chat AND phone agents. Recently, 3 occasions to order groceries… flat leaf parsley delivered instead of cilantro - we overlooked. Subsequently, BOGO sticker on chicken wings overlooked; customer service absurdly maintained that we should’ve ordered 2, despite not knowing about this promotion. By that reasoning, 2 of everything should be ordered each and every item and time AND sugared tea inadvertently delivered instead of no sugar. As far as grocery delivery is concerned, customer service policies are onerous — caveat emptor!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 3, 2024

Orderd food today 7/2/24 from Applebee's for $146. Uber driver Wael picked up the food. He called me to tell Me he was lost, helped him with directions. Two hours later the food still didn't arrive. Wael the driver completed the order and said it was delivered. Uber said they will investigate the issue and get back to me within 7 business days. Horrible delivery services, never use this service again.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed July 2, 2024

If I could rate the with a zero, or a negative value, I would. I recently had to go to Las Vegas to attend a convention. Whenever forced to go to Las Vegas, I order from my favorite Chicago pizzeria. On 6/11, I placed my order with Uber Eats, specifying that I want extra sauce, and that the pizza be cooked well done. The total order with tip was $41.57. When I received my pizza neither was done to order. I called the restaurant, spoke with the manager, and he said it was never communicated to him. He also said that they can only make the orders as communicated by Uber Eats, they cannot change anything. So, Uber Eats dropped the ball.

On the day I was leaving Las Vegas, 6/14, I placed another order from the same restaurant via Uber Eats, again specifying that I want extra sauce, and that the pizzas be cooked well done. This time it was a large order for $140.14 including a generous tip, so I could bring 4 pizzas home to So. California. First, the Uber Eats delivery person could not find the clearly marked Uber pickup area at Caesar's Palace for a half hour. She kept getting close, but would then drive in the wrong direction, so I called her to discover she could not speak or understand a word of English. This only compounded the problem, and I was up against the clock to get to the airport on time. Eventually she found me. While waiting for my Uber ride to the airport I had a few slices of pizza only to notice again, they neither had extra sauce, nor were they cooked well done as I ordered.

I followed up with Uber Eats after getting home and was told they were not going to do anything about it, as I passed their 48 hour rule. Uber Eats refuses to send me my original order texts where I specified extra sauce and to be cooked well done. That’s fine because I will never use their service again. One question I have is, why would they ever hire a non-English speaking person for a job that requires communications with customers?

Reviewed July 1, 2024

Uber is the biggest ripoff I’ve ever seen. I worked very hard for my money. I got two meals. The other day paid $64, only received one of the meals and they told me since the receipt on the bag matched the order that I get no refund that Much, they ripped me off $30 and there’s nothing I can do about it because the piece of paper sent with the bag said the same thing as their app so either the delivery person ate my food or something happened but I paid $64 for one meal - a cheeseburger, fries and Philly cheesesteak wraps, two of them. They were delicious, $64 delicious, never got nothing but a runaround. Zero help from support. I recommend no one service their trash.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed June 29, 2024

Their cancellation is a scam. The restaurant cancelled my order after almost two hours but Uber Eats refused to refund!! So they took my money and no order! All with their extra fees, tax and service fees and yet they still want to rob!

Verified purchase
      Price

Reviewed June 23, 2024

Uber Eats will absolutely STEAL YOUR MONEY. I placed an order, and IMMEDIATELY realized that I had put the wrong delivery instructions. I canceled the order within SECONDS to attempt to reorder. The system cancelled immediately, but STILL CHARGED ME FULL PRICE FOR THE ORDER, claiming that was their policy. ZERO warning that the food would not be delivered AND they would keep the money!!! When I got on with their "support" to get it fixed, their support essentially said, "Oh well, you should be more careful next time. Nothing we can do." I'm currently disputing the charge with my credit card company, but I will NEVER use Uber Eats again, and VERY strongly recommend you don't either.

Uber Eats Company Information