2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.00/5

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

BOTTOM LINE

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

PROS

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

CONS

• Multiple fees

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
    • Specify where you want the order dropped off
    • Add a payment method
    • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
    • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
    • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
    Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
    Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
    When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
    What if Uber Eats takes too long?
    If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
    Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
    Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Used UberEats to order food for pickup around 1:45 PM on Tuesday December 29. Original pickup time was 2:05. I watched the tracker continue with the "preparing food" status until 2:13. I called the restaurant to see if there was an issue and they told me they had not received any UberEats order, and suggested I try it again. I canceled the order and requested a refund because the restaurant said they did not receive that order. I contacted support and provided all of these details. It has now been almost 1 week since I reached out to support and I have gotten 3 canned responses ignoring my issue and refusing to refund because the order status was "preparing". I am looking into doing a chargeback with my bank and I will not be using UberEats again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

An "Uber Eats" driver (ID: **/License Plate: Quebec **) refused to leave his car to deliver my order on Christmas Eve. I finally crossed the street, but he still refused to give me my order. (We now think I was baited by him because at the time of the incident, he bragged about how I was being taped by him.) He became very confrontational, threatening, harassing and provoking towards me, I think because I yelled at him from across the street to bring me my order. I was frightened & very confused why he was acting in this manner. He was a minority individual and untruthfully accused me of discrimination, prejudice and judgmental of his colour and Muslim faith. After I stood in the dark and freezing rain after lengthy hostile discussion outside of his car (1/2 hour), he finally handed over my order. I reported him to Uber because as an elderly woman, I felt VERY UNSAFE in this situation which is why I reported him to the Quebec police too.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I used their free $25.00 in food promotion. Since I already had extensive past experience with CarGo without ever a problem, I thought I’d give UberEats a try. Their fees are outrageous, the food up charge at Arby’s is ridiculously high. The actual timing of my Friday night delivery was fine. The driver did take my picture holding my food without my consent to show proof of delivery. I’m 50 years old and never before in my entire life has ANYONE done this. I’m assuming it’s because UberEats is profiling/discriminating whenever delivering to a not so affluent area of town.

UberEats refuses to address this issue after several attempts asking why. I already know why, because they know what they did was wrong and unlawful! The food wasn’t hot at all, I blame this more on Arby’s than I do UberEats. I know how credit authorizations work within the restaurant/delivery industry. It’s always more than the actual amount to leave open for a possible tip. In my case UberEats obtained two separate authorizations, I confirmed this with American Express, basically double charged. After numerous attempts complaining to UberEats about this, nothing happened. Not even a formal apology or goodwill gesture to try and correct a bad situation.

As of today, still no answer for the profiling, no refund for the double charged, no apology and no goodwill gesture. Through American Express I got my money back. There are many delivery services out there, please utilize them before ever attempting to use UberEats. There’s a reason they’re running a $25.00 in free food promotion! They know their business sucks. I was willing to overlook the fact the delivery person wasn’t wearing a mask and he had a headlight out on his car, not professional, but what do you expect from a non professional company making poor choices! I tried to close my UberEats account on the app and through the website, not possible, so I simply deleted the app. I’ll stick with CarGo! I know I can trust them after over a year of problem free deliveries!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

Uber Eats was running a promotion, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Bottom line is that the food was never delivered. I saw the driver go by my house, turn in a neighbor's driveway, and then leave the street. He never called me, and when I tried to call him, the message back said “system error”. I have a very easy address to find, and receive 3 or 4 packages a week from Fedex and Amazon, and they never have a problem finding the address. Getting a refund was difficult. I would suggest you never use this company.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

I ordered from Liquor Depot today & gave the driver my ID to take a picture & verify I was of age. The driver's app was not working & I stood on my porch with her for 45 minutes while she tried to contact her superiors on what she should do since the app simply was not working to complete the process. She was eventually told to take the order back to the store since she was unable to upload a picture of my ID to the app. I then got a $15 charge to my card for the order being cancelled by the delivery driver!!! All emails that are listed for Uber Eats go nowhere, nobody answers phone calls, there is simply no way to dispute this charge other than filing a fraud charge with my bank!!! I will never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

They will send you an offer for a delivery with an amount of money to perform that delivery. When you accept complete the delivery Uber won’t pay the entire amount you agreed upon to perform the delivery. Example: you agree to perform a delivery for $15. When you complete the delivery they only pay you $4 and tell you, "Oh well the customer changed their mind and did not give you the tip," there is nothing they can do. So deceiving!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

I received an email from Uber EATS on November 12th of 2020 and I gave me a promo code for $30 off if I spend $1 or more. So I was waiting to use that since at the bottom of the email it said it was good for 14 days from the receipt of the promo code. Which would be the 12th. So I told my boyfriend that we have until the day before Thanksgiving to order something from Uber eats pretty much free and we just pay the fees. He was on board with that. Yesterday I received an email reminding me of the promo code and that how it's expiring soon and at the bottom of that email it also says the 14 days from the receipt of promo code, which would be the 12th, so I said, "Okay let's use it tomorrow for lunch" and he agreed. So we wake up this morning and we're doing our morning routine and we want to order our lunch so we could pick it up around our normal lunch time.

I got to put the promo code in and it says it's expired. Which doesn't make any sense because on both emails it said it's good for 14 days from the receipt of the promo. Not wanting to spend any more money than I have to, I reach out to Uber, via Twitter and app. It's really hard again contact with them but they somehow found me through the app and I messaged them on Twitter and tweeted at them. They told me that that has been expired and there's no way to use expired codes. I told them I completely understand that there's no way to use expired codes, however there's a make any sense to say that it's expired when it says that it's good for 14 days and it's still within the 14 days and I have not used it and I have never ordered from Uber eats so I should be able to use that coupon code.

They keep saying the same thing that it's expired and there's no way to use it and on their app they completely cut communication with me and asked for me to rate them. I could not reply anymore. So I did and I give them one star. I will never use Uber eats again. That is clearly false advertising and only to get used to download their app.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I received a $25.00 coupon code via email. I’ve never used Uber Eats and was excited about it. I noticed that there are a lot of fees as I kept looking at the app and restaurants. I planned to use the coupon for dinner when my family would be home. So we can all enjoy a take out meal. Well, I put the code in the app, and my receipt showed the full amount. The code coupon didn’t go through. I called the restaurant, they said call UberEats. I called UberEats and they said they don’t handle coupon codes and that I have to go through the app. What a nightmare.

My first contact back from UberEats was that they don’t recognize my email. But you sent the coupon code to my email address. Then they asked for a copy of my receipt and the coupon code, which I sent. Then they said they didn’t get my message. These seem to be automated messages because it just doesn’t make any sense. Then they said my code is not valid. What??? I ask them to explain. Is it a fake coupon? It sure wasn’t an expired coupon.

Then the last message they sent, without answering my question, was that they are not accepting any more messages from me. What kind of company is this? I am just disgusted. They ripped me off. I would never have used UberEats if I didn’t get that coupon. The restaurant is 2 miles away and the fees are high. And they don’t have a customer service number to deal with this issue. I’ll never use UberEats or Uber again. The company is not customer service friendly. And they will not get anything from me again. I’m not supporting any businesses that don’t care enough to listen to customer concerns.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

My experience is similar to others who reviewed them. I also kept receiving emails about a $30 credit for first time use. So I decided to try. The discount never came up and then I emailed them and they said it wasn't valid. Really? Well I ordered anyway (the fees are really high) but we didn't have time to cook. I received multiple texts confirming the delivery date and time. When it was 15 minutes after the delivery was supposed to arrive, I called the restaurant and they said the order was still sitting there. The restaurant said that they don't call Uber Eats when that happens but the customer had to. There is no phone number!!!

So my husband went out and picked up the food himself. Now I've been emailing back and forth with a robot who is asking me for an order number (there was none) and claiming that the email I was using was not the email I used to order the food. This is so insane. NEVER NEVER NEVER use this company. Now I have to deal with the credit card company and I'm busy packing for a move.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

They emailed me a promo code for $30 off a first order. After trying multiple times with it not working, I eventually figured out (after an exhaustive search) how to message them through Twitter. After a back & forth of several messages they claimed that the code couldn’t be used because of fraud. They gave zero explanation. When I further questioned it, they claimed that I had a second account and that multiple accounts violated their terms of service. This was literally the one and only time I have ever created an account with them. When I questioned it more, they wouldn’t give me any answers. I asked them to show me proof of the other account and they didn’t acknowledge that. The following is my last message to them as of the time of this review. I’m still waiting...

“I literally have zero reason for your service. I live in a small town in South Carolina where the cost of delivery isn’t justifiable. We can just drive less than a mile away to pick food up. And I wouldn’t ever use the car service because I’m agoraphobic and don’t go places or travel at all. The only reason I even created this account last week was because of the promo code that was emailed for a first time delivery order. So I planned to use the service once and that was it. If you’re telling me that I have another account, it must be a case of identity theft because it was not me!!!! Get to the bottom of this and get a manager to get off their butt and do something!!!”

Uber Eats Company Information