2. Miscellaneous

2.6/5 (91 ratings)

About Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

Pros

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

Cons

• Multiple fees

Bottom Line

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
  • Specify where you want the order dropped off
  • Add a payment method
  • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
  • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
  • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
What if Uber Eats takes too long?
If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: July 25, 2021

DON'T ORDER FROM THEM. THEY ARE DISHONEST. I ordered food. They sent to wrong address. The order was canceled. I was told I would get a refund. It's been an argument ever since. Good luck trying to get a hold of a person. The numbers that are there there's no option to get a live person. All you're given different numbers that lead to more dead ends. If you do get ahold of a person you'll be talked over, you'll be put on hold and you'll be transferred a hundred times. These people are dishonest.

Original review: July 25, 2021

The Driver Canceled our order and didn’t notify us. The app didn’t send a notification either. I waited an hour for the food and open the app to see it was cancelled and it did not even say why. Only that we would not be charged but I am still waiting to see if that’s the case.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Just trying to get food, but the “next” button on the app is greyed out. Can’t choose a payment option. I added my credit card but it won’t let me use it? I have no way to order food. Complete failure. Uber is a garbage company, I hope it goes out of business. Will stick with Doordash.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I received a promo coupon from Uber Eats in my email. As it was a great deal, I placed an order. The coupon was applied and confirmed at checkout. My bank account was charged the full amount with no coupon ($20 value). As someone who doesn't have extra money lying around, this caused issues with my bank account and Uber's response was we will refund the $20 in 3-5 days and thanks for the feedback. Will not be using this company again.

Original review: July 11, 2021

I've never had the urge to write a bad review for a company, but Uber Eats has crossed the line. As others have reported their customer service is terrible and all the company cares about is making money. Unfortunately, there has been two bad experiences that will withdraw me from ever doing business with the company again and I hope others follow suit.

The first incident was nearly $50 of food that was delivered to the wrong location. It was a late working night and I couldn't even eat because of this. Simply wanted a refund or credit but the company refused either. The second dilemma was very frustrating as well. Ordered ice cream for my family and I, via the app and they were preparing my food for over an hour. To the point where the restaurant was closed and the ordered was still being prepared 45 min past closing time. I canceled the order knowing there's no feasible way for the food to get to me.

Without surprise their support did nothing for and was told I didn't cancel within the first five minutes of the order being placed, there's nothing they can do. So two meals I never had and was still charged. The company could care less about its customers. DoorDash is much more caring and kudos to them, as myself and friends have had issues before and they actually lend a helping hand. I hope this message reaches people and they can avoid wasting their time.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I ordered Jersey Mike's the other evening and was delivered Cold Stone Creamery. I didn't realize until I was inside and by then, the driver was gone. They make it near impossible get a hold of them to let them know! I tipped this driver very well and I am so bummed that this all happened, and they claim I cannot get a refund because I did not submit within 48 hours. Well, if their site was easier to manage and would work correctly, I would have been on time. Never again!!!

Original review: July 5, 2021

I attended a virtual conference this past week that had me at my computer for the entire day everyday. I had little time to eat and no time to cook so I ordered just about everyday. On 3 CONSECUTIVE DAYS the UberEats drivers went to the wrong place. I wrote clear, simple directions that they refuse to read. My apartment door is INSIDE and door they keep going to is OUTSIDE. So I wrote that in the instructions and ask them to ring my door bell to confirm recipient.

On Friday he didn't read the directions, left my order AT THE WRONG DOOR but I called before he left the property so he went back and got it before it was opened. The second day he didn't read the instructions, but I caught him before he left my food OUTSIDE at the wrong door. Tonight when I saw that he was going to the wrong door again I called BEFORE HE GAVE MY FOOD AWAY and texted several times before the car stopped. He didn't answer my calls and ignored the texts letting him know that he was not at my apartment complex and AFTER trying to call and texting HE GAVE MY FOOD AWAY.

Yes, I got a refund (that will come in a few days) but it was 5:30 p.m. I had been working and hadn't eaten all day and was light headed. The remedy should be a refund AND delivery of my order even if it's late along with an apology FROM THE DRIVER and an explanation of why he chose not to answer my calls or read the directions. UBER EATS NEEDS TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS since they can't get people who can or will READ!!!! YES, I’m angry, I’m hungry!!

Original review: July 3, 2021

5 minutes after the app said my order was delivered, and it wasn't. No call from the driver, just no delivery. I started the refund process. I received a refund for the food but they will not refund the tip. Makes a lot of sense right? Won't use again.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I've used Uber for trips a lot in the past, though I've had problems with those, too, just not related to the service--only a few of the drivers. Trying Uber Eats, I thought it couldn't be that different than any other delivery service. I was very, very wrong. I signed up for Uber Eats Pass, thinking I could save some money. My first order was fine...until I realized they charged me a "subtotal adjustment" of $18.19 on a $37.80 order. I couldn't believe it. Nothing in my order was changed, so that couldn't explain the charge. There's no way to contact customer service, which means they have no customer service. You have to use the "Help" in the app, but what good is that when we're talking about food delivery? If there's an issue, you need help right away, not hours or days after your order.

I had to wait until the following day to get a response, and then the response was: "Can you please provide details?" Which tells me their pathetic app can't even link to the order. So I did. I waited several more hours. In the reply I received, no explanation was provided except something to the effect of "these things happen sometimes," no refund was offered, and then the "priority support" agent had the gall to thank me for being a Gold member. Well, here's the thing: I'm no longer a Gold member. I immediately deleted my Uber account and filed a complaint with the BBB for my refund. Although there aren't a lot of choices with rideshare services, I'll take my chances with Lyft. Maybe Lyft will actually bother to treat me like they value my patronage. P.S. I didn't even get my 5% discount, which I was supposed to receive for signing up with Uber Eats Pass. How pathetic is that?

Original review: June 23, 2021

I reported sexual harassment in March 2020 after delivering to a man's hotel room and was deactivated right after making a report. I was told deactivation was from poor ratings but I received two emails Thanking me for excellent ratings the same week. I was told that a report was made yet there is none recorded. I have called and emailed but nothing was addressed. Why punish the victim driver and not the perpetrator customer? It's easier to deal with and silence? What an unethical company.

Uber Eats Company Information