3.3/5 (271 ratings)

About Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

Pros

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

Cons

• Multiple fees

Bottom Line

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
  • Specify where you want the order dropped off
  • Add a payment method
  • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
  • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
  • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
What if Uber Eats takes too long?
If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2022

** cherry Slurpee from 7/11 bought a week ago and sent my wife to the ER where she been and now Uber taking their sweet time to figure out what to do. Well my wife still in the hospital due to that Slurpee. Doctor says someone put ** in it. Really cool the people y'all hire and now y'all have by the end of today to figure something out or I'm calling my lawyer and sue Uber for everything. My wife sick in the hospital, missing work and all y'all doing sitting on your **.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I placed a grocery order they put a hold on my bank account for the order total. The person who picked the order out did not get the correct size of some items and so the order was less than the amount they placed the hold for. Three adults later they took the hold amount off my account and not the actual amount of the order. They claim they can't give me my money back because I didn't notify them of the wrong amount in 48 hours. Shouldn't they know what the order amount ended up coming out too. They owe me more than $10.00 and they are trying to blame the store. I have a receipt which says what the order totaled. They end the chat and don't let you respond.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I have taken multiple screenshots and completely uninstalled Uber Eats app from my android phone. I also made sure to clear both the cache and the storage then reinstalled the application over a dozen times and got the exact same error each time. After I reinstalled and tried to place the order again, the application gave me the same error that I needed to deselect any promotions I had selected. I had 0 promotions selected and could never use any of the promotions I had due to every time I would check out it would act as if I had a 4.99 free delivery promo applied to every order. Yet no promo was applied nor selected in my Promotions tab.

I am a computer scientist and uber eats has some of the worst technical support teams I have ever encountered. Especially coming from a multi-million dollar company who I have offered numerous screenshots of the glitch only to be told they were working on it and to give them 24 hours. That was about 4 or 5 days ago. I have the same rude answers every time I call and I get absolutely nowhere. UNBELIEVABLE!

Original review: July 16, 2022

I order food from McDonald’s thru UberEats. And the food was old like it been sitting out and the fries was soggy like someone poured water on them and the sandwich had a whole thing of Mayonnaise on it. So I contacted UberEats about it and they did nothing. Like they are giving me something I work hard for my money and they say it’s nothing wrong and I sent them a pic of the food.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I am not using this service again. I was charged twice for increasing the order quantity from the same place within matter of literally two minutes and for the same order. They canceled initial order and booked another one. Really not impressed at all.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Uber driver job only for naive people. Your only earn to pay for gas, plus you using your car and tires. Then get zero at the total. However it's ok when you drive a bicycle. Don't take that job. It's a scam.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Uber Eats refuses to refund items not delivered but paid for. Their only explanation is that it happened too many times. So, according to Uber Eats, there is a threshold for how many times they abide by the law and return funds for items paid for but not received, or received incorrectly, and then they believe they can just defraud the customer and enjoy unjust enrichment of fees not earned on top of it. Looking forward to the class action lawsuit against this company. Sooo many similar complaints across multiple review sites against Uber Eats. Looks like it is time for the Attorney General to get involved.

Original review: July 4, 2022

July 4th, 2022. People! If you can use another service do it. UBER Eats scams people. They will not refund delivery at all. I was less than a mile away and could not pick up the food at the time. They started off when they picked the food up at only 10 minutes. Once picked up they put the time to another 1/2 hour. My food came cold because they make people now pay for priority. Every person you speak to are overseas. STOP USING THEM SO THEY STOP SCAMMING!

Original review: June 22, 2022

We were at a hotel in San Diego. After waiting 2 Hours, our driver just bailed!!! They can do that. Just leave. Our food was sitting at the restaurant. I had to call an Uber to go pick it up!!! NEVER USE THEM! FLAKEY!

Original review: May 22, 2022

I got an error 404 when attempting to edit a credit card entry. Oops - no testing, just coding? Or is the testing done by the same people who write the code? (Always a bad idea!). Programmers, when calculating a tip, use the subtotal of what is being purchased. Do you pay tips on taxes at a restaurant? Customers should not have to pay tips on fees and taxes; having those buttons for percentages based on items, service fee, delivery fee and taxes constitutes fraud on the customer. IT IS NOT THE CORRECT THING TO DO!

This entire ethos of paying tips before the service is rendered is just wrong. A tip is NOT required, it is $$ given for GOOD service rendered. If a delivery is dumped on the doorstep spilling the contents of containers then a Tip is not warranted. Ubereats can do it better, but chooses not to do so. I have used it for the first...and last... time. Nuff said!

Uber Eats Company Information