3.2/5 (320 ratings)

About Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

Pros

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

Cons

• Multiple fees

Bottom Line

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
  • Specify where you want the order dropped off
  • Add a payment method
  • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
  • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
  • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
What if Uber Eats takes too long?
If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I ordered twice on Uber Eats, and the first time was terrible...but this last one the driver stole my food. I contacted Customer Service (I screenshot the chat) and was told that I was not "eligible" for a refund. So, the drivers know they can steal food and get away with it. First, I called the driver, who said he was not given the items. So, I contacted the restaurant and the person who answered said that he handed the coffees and food to the driver personally - so the driver not only stole from me...he LIED. And, he did it because he can get away with it. After reading other reviews, this apparently happens a lot. And Uber does nothing about it. It should be illegal for a company to allow its workers to steal.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

I liked Uber Eats until I ran into a problem. On 12/5 I placed an order for a total of $179.30 and received somebody else's food order for $48.98. Difference of 130 dollars. In addition I paid 2.99 for direct delivery which, obviously was not the case since the driver had at least two orders to deliver. I submitted a complaint going through a rather torturous process and have yet to hear back. No answer, no refund. I had a similar problem last year with TryCaviar and in that case the matter was resolved in a couple of hours. The way these big companies like Uber Eats work is hateful.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2022

Buyer beware! Uber Eats in Winter Haven, Florida refuses to make refunds or issue credits when they make mistakes on your order and leave items you have paid for out depending on which restaurant you order from. This is deceptive and unfair because all of the other delivery services do not operate in this manner and Uber Eats doesn’t inform customers of this “policy” until after you have paid and tipped in advance for food you end up not receiving. I gave Uber Eats 1 star only because there is no option to give 0 stars.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2022

This app made me pay for extra items to meet a required minimum but then never delivered the item and never informed me they didn't have the items in stock when I checked out. I reached out to customer service and they provided no help besides. This was a rip off!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

2 separate times about 1 year apart that I did not receive my order at all and they still charged me, and had the worst customer service so that I could not get my refund at all. They are a scam. Ritual works much better, Doordash is much better

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Uber Eats now do multiple stops when they pick up your food and it’s usually cold. This time driver didn’t turn up and would not respond to messages and calls even though the app showed she arrived…I wait yes outside for a long time (got bitten by mosquitos) and the food just didn’t turn up. Is this a scam on the drivers part so they get to keep the food? Contacted Uber customer service who don’t seem to be bothered and were not apologetic and very mechanical - I won’t use them again and cancelled my Uber one subscription.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I made an order for groceries. My order did NOT have the paper receipt included. While putting away my groceries I realized three items were missing. Got on their chat feature and after having to talk to three reps I’m told they refunded me for the items. Fast forward the next day. I notice that they had given me a smaller pie than I had ordered but still charged me for the bigger pie. I also noticed that instead of refunding me what they said they would they CHARGED me that amount. I get back on the chat feature and go thru all the issues. Not only did I supply a list of all the issues, I took pics showing the charges on PayPal and my bank account. The rep addressed only part of the issue and when I went to explain that she said “since you didn’t except my offer I will remove it and this chat is over” and closed the chat! I was furious!

I start a FIFTH chat. I tell them I would like to talk with a manager via phone or email and they tell me this is the only way I can resolve my issue. I had to type out everything again and the rep was still not understanding the issues. Actually I think they were purposely ignoring what I was saying and just using a lot of fluff language. I really feel more and more businesses are doing this kind of thing these days. They hope you don’t notice the overcharges and if you do they will just give you the run around in hopes of wearing the customer down to the point they give up. So sad. What has this world come to. I will not be using this business again. Buyers beware!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I had ordered food from a restaurant through Uber Eats, I had tipped the driver, the driver dropped off my order at another location and my food was tampered with and opened and items were stolen from my order. I contact customer support many times and they refuse to redeliver or refund my order. I provided Uber eats with evidence that my order was stolen and dropped off somewhere else. They do not care and will not help.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

This is very disappointing after having a long history of being an Uber Eats customer. Late Thanksgiving I placed an order that immediately I realized would arrive too late, I proceeded to cancel immediately. To my surprise, I find that they charged my account anyway. So, I contacted support to request a refund and was told they wouldn't refund my money. No explanation. No alternative. No apology. No credit. NADA. Uber Eats stole my money.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

If I’m refunded my money back for something that the restaurant forgot, y’all can’t make someone accept Uber Cash, that’s bullying. Then make it hard to get your money back, it took almost a hour to get through to someone, they got it set up to basically take your money, what can one buy with five dollars, it’s just illegal, change supposed to go back to the original payment, which was my credit card and when using Uber in the past, it tells you the trip, after trip over, they charge your call. THIEVERY IS ALL I CAN SAY✅, also at end of chat they tell me they forwarded my complaint and wait for a email from another department, this world is over with, everyone EVIL.

Uber Eats Company Information