2. Miscellaneous

Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

BOTTOM LINE

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

PROS

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

CONS

• Multiple fees

Unsubscribe at any time.

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
    • Specify where you want the order dropped off
    • Add a payment method
    • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
    • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
    • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
    Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
    Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
    When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
    What if Uber Eats takes too long?
    If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
    Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
    Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

First off I should have not even been able to order from Starbucks as they were closed when my order went thru. Starbucks even called me and told me to cancel my order....I have had to throw out $14 of iced coffee made with milk cause it was warm..And not drinkable by the time I got it. I would have canceled the order like Starbucks told me to do but I could not figure it out on your app..I would go to help and it would tell me what to do..I would go to follow the instructions but I couldn't cancel..It would not let me. My coffee sat there for almost 45 mins..No Uber person was even listed to pick up my order till after I got the call to cancel the order. By the time the order got to me it had been almost an hour.

I have had nothing but terrible experiences with this company... Orders extremely late very often..When food was not delivered or was wrong I got the run around and had to email back and forth several times to get the proper end result.. I went away for a bit but against my better judgment I ordered from you guys...I didn't want a credit. I wanted a refund and I think THAT is the appropriate response to this issue..I will never again use their service. It is awful. After getting a second response from them they offered me a $5 credit. A lot of good that will do me when I will never use them again. I don't have these issues with Door Dash or Postmates and when there are issues they take care of their customers quickly and appropriately.

Original review: July 22, 2020

I started an Uber account at the height of the Pandemic. At first they forgot something in the order each time. Then later I started putting in orders and they would instantly be cancelled but I would be charged. They would hold my money for weeks and the restaurants would say they never received an order. The only way to reach Uber was to put in a ticket via the app. The customer service phone number says to email at support@uber.com but when you do you get a response back that says they don't check that account and no one will see the message.

There are 4 options to put in a ticket that reroute you and basically blame the customer saying do it different next time. If you put in a missing item ticket they sometimes give a refund however they will say you are exploiting their appeasements and later deny the refund. Although you are paying for the food and they aren't bringing it! I was offered a credit but when I went to put in the order and spent 45 mins doing it it wouldn't work, or I would stop using their service all together. Then I ordered from a restaurant only to get a message 2 hours later saying it was cancelled and I would have to pay for it still?

When I called the restaurant they said they didn't even do business with them and they did it all the time to force the restaurant to start working with them or face upset customers that didn't understand. They had tried contacting UBER to no response either. Last week I tried to utilize the service as they were still charging me a monthly rate even though I asked to cancel it. They brought 2/4 meals. When I put in a ticket..2 days later I gotta response saying they would issue me a refund and something called uber bucks for an additional $21 for the inconvenience and poor experiences.

The next morning I received another email saying they wouldn't issue the full refund but would only charge me $16 and refund the other 31$?? I asked what changed and where to find the $21 uber cash promised. They closed my ticket as resolved. I've put in 6 more tickets asking to speak with someone because each time they close the ticket saying the issue has already been resolved. I was then promised a $10 credit for my food being very late. Today I tried to put in an order while waiting on a response. I've reached out via email, phone, twitter and their app. There was no 10$ credit, there were no $21 in uber cash and I've not received any refund. I've spent hours trying to resolve this...as I'm typing in a ticket the food arrives from Red Robin. They forgot a salad, an artichoke dip appetizer, and all condiments and utensils which they had me check a box saying I WANTED.

I put in another ticket saying "WTF are you kidding me right now 2 days in a row?" There's no way to get ahold of them, no one reads the tickets, you get generic cut and paste responses or told they'll refund a portion of the food you paid for and didn't get or that you're exploiting their system. If you say you want to cancel the eats pass they say sure..don't do it and then say they won't refund you for the missing food because you cancelled your eats pass and aren't a valued member any longer. This is the worst customer service. Not to mention if you call the phone number says it is for emergencies but if you stay on the line it just says hang up and call 911. They are dropping the ball.

Today I called the restaurant because I noticed the receipt on the bad they sent was very different from what I ordered but it mostly what I got. The restaurant said that was what uber sent them. The restaurant also said they've been having to pay them back because they use people overseas and systems that don't put in orders correctly and the restaurant has to refund but Uber refuses to actually refund the customer. They are taking money for services they aren't provided.

I am putting together a video series with the conversations, photos, and app receipts for this company taking advantage of businesses/restaurants and customers that are struggling during this pandemic and they are profiting off of it. Look around their 1 star reviews are getting worse. Read in different cities and look for my short film detailing proof tell me if you think what I ordered matches the restaurant receipt let alone what I received. Update I received a response from my ticket saying they'd refund the dip..Nothing else and to ask for utensils if I wanted...which I specifically did.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 5, 2020

My experiences with Uber Eats has gotten progressively worse. The most common issues are items being forgotten or the order being slightly off. This happens a majority of the time. I usually choose to live with it, since complaining about misses here and there would eat away more time than it is worth. The second major issue within a string of constant problems, is that I got a completely wrong order delivered. The restaurant traded my sides for other items and provided soda when I requested lemonade. It's like they don't ever require their drivers to verify items before delivering them. Either that or they don't have strict guidelines/requirements for their partners to adhere to. The problem is way too frequent to assume otherwise.

The latest in offenses is that I was allowed to order from a restaurant that was completely closed. I waited over an hour to be told by a driver that my order could not be completed. How does it take an hour to figure out your partner store isn't fulfilling an order request?? Don't they have to accept an order and update upon progression?

To add insult to injury, I could not cancel the order without being charged. I had to wait through 3 or 4 drivers before 1 of them finally submitted a cancellation. I tried to wait for a chat specialist to process a cancellation and it took over 10 minutes before I got in touch with anyone. By that time the order was canceled by a driver. After waiting for what was meant to be a 30 minute order, for over an hour, I was basically told "sorry about that!" They don't even try to make it right when they've greatly inconvenienced you. I've gone through all that just to say you are better off using a competitor. Their delivery service and customer service is severely lacking. I wouldn't recommend using them if they were the last delivery service on Earth. Don't waste your money.

Original review: May 31, 2020

So after order from Taco Bell and Pizza Hut they both did not delivered. One showed delivered after 45 mins and the other as customer delivery. After contacting customer care which the first was a robot it automatically issued a refund and copy and paste apology. The second might have been a person too which they replied the same. Looks like that they are taking order for the cash but not actually doing the work then holding on to customers' money for future profit.

Uber Eats Company Information