2.7/5 (186 ratings)

About Uber Eats

Uber Eats is a food delivery service from Uber, the popular rideshare app. With Uber Eats, customers use a website or app to order food from a choice of hundreds of restaurants and have it delivered directly to their door for a small fee. Many popular restaurants work with the company.

Pros

• Customizable delivery options
  • Easy way to try new restaurants
  • Brings food to your door

Cons

• Multiple fees

Bottom Line

Uber Eats is a popular food delivery service that lets you order from participating local restaurants, including those that don’t offer in-house delivery services.

How does Uber Eats work?

Uber Eats lets you order food from your favorite restaurants and have it delivered to your door, even if the restaurant does not traditionally offer a delivery option. Hundreds of restaurants across the country have partnered with Uber Eats, and you can browse the company’s website for participating restaurants. Uber Eats works in three steps:

1. Browse the Uber Eats app

If you’re not sure what you’re in the mood for, use the browse feature on the app or website to scroll through participating restaurants. You can see your options by putting in the address where you want the food delivered. The website breaks down participating restaurants by category, the type of meal (breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, dessert) and whether the restaurant has any special offers. You can browse national chain restaurants, local eateries, coffee shops and grocery stores.

The delivery fee, service area and expected wait time for each restaurant are listed upfront.

2. Place your Uber Eats order

Once you choose a restaurant, you can browse the menu, add what you want to your cart and proceed to checkout. You can leave instructions for the delivery driver (such as a gate code or where to leave the food) and make a note if you need additional items, such as straws or utensils. On the delivery page, you can:

• Place the order now or schedule a future delivery
  • Specify where you want the order dropped off
  • Add a payment method
  • See your total cost, including delivery and service fees

Group orders

Uber Eats has a group order option for those ordering food for many people. This option lets you send a link to everyone ordering so they can individually add their items to the cart. Once everyone has placed their order, you can pay for it all at once.

3. Track your Uber Eats order

Uber Eats’ website and app allow you to track your order in real time. Once you place your order, you can see when your order leaves the restaurant and track the driver’s location until they arrive.

Uber Eats cost and fees

Uber Eats makes it simple to enjoy your favorite meals at home, but you pay for the convenience. The menu prices are occasionally higher — it’s not uncommon to see a meal listed for $7.99 on the restaurant's website or in-house menu and then see it listed for $9.99 or more on Uber Eats. This inflation on menu prices is not consistent across the board, but it does occur. Other fees include:

• Delivery fees vary by restaurant and are listed upfront during the ordering process. These fees range from $1 to $5.
  • A service fee of 15% of your total order price. This fee is not charged when you order from a restaurant that handles its own deliveries.
  • A fee for small orders. This varies by city and restaurant. You can avoid this fee by adding more items.

Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies lose money when customers use Uber Eats. If you are trying to support local businesses, it may be more cost-effective for you (and the restaurant) to order directly to avoid these extra charges.

Uber Eats FAQ

Do you tip Uber Eats drivers?
Tips are not required, but the drivers appreciate them. Uber Eats drivers are independent contractors who make a small hourly wage but do not receive benefits or compensation for gas, mileage, tolls or vehicle maintenance. If the driver gets your food to you promptly, you should tip them.
Will my courier bring the meal to my door or inside my office?
When you order, you can specify whether you want your food brought to your door or front gate. You can also request the driver to meet you at the curb. Drivers may leave your food at the front desk of your office or apartment building, but they won’t bring it directly into your home, office or apartment. Most drivers will meet you at the front door of your home or office.
What if Uber Eats takes too long?
If your order is taking longer than expected, it's usually because the restaurant is taking more time to make your order. You can track your order and even contact the driver to get updates on delivery times. If you’re unhappy with the delivery time, you can request a refund. According to the website, if your driver arrived, attempted to contact you and could not deliver the order, you are charged for the order and won’t receive a refund.
Why am I paying a fee for busy areas?
Drivers must navigate traffic, long lines and other external problems in busy areas, so Uber Eats charges an increased fee in these locations. You may also see increased delivery fees if there are many drivers in a specific area.

Is Uber Eats good?

Uber Eats is a great way to try new restaurants without leaving the comfort of your home. The service is a convenient way to enjoy local food, but the costs do add up. Uber Eats also charges restaurants to be part of its delivery program, so many smaller companies make less profit when they use this service. We think Uber Eats is a great option for trying new restaurants, but the delivery charges can quickly make eating out more expensive.

Uber Eats Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Uber Eats?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I was overcharged on the tip they made… I was overcharged on the tip, they made up a number higher than I gave and they refused to help me. I didn’t get information until an hour later. They said it’s too late to make any changes. I am furious.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

I will never go through Uber Eats again. They have screwed me. First I ordered food. My total with tip was around $28 and I was charged almost $43. I was paying $9.99 so I wouldn't be charged delivery when I ordered from certain places. They still charged me partial delivery fee when it said it was $0 delivery fee. My rent check almost bounced because they took too much money out. I canceled my account with them so I wouldn't be charged $9.99 again by them. They just charged me again this month. You can't call and talk to a human being. I have sent like 20 text and emails to them to try to get a refund and have not gotten one. It looks like I'm going to have to cancel my bank account and open a new one so they stop taking money out. They will steal from you.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

My suggestion, use DoorDash or Grubhub. Uber Eats is not worth the trouble and aggravation when they deliver the wrong food, or the order is incomplete or it shows up late and cold. They are not worth the trouble to call and wait 15 or 20 minutes to get a rep on the phone to say, "I’ll refund the order but you have to reorder it if you want it." Plus giving you a coupon for $5.00 off your next purchase. They are not worth the trouble when there is other competition out there that is doing it better than Uber Eats. So my suggestion is use another company.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

Ordered something from Applebee’s and did not receive drinks. Called Applebee’s and they said drivers don’t like to wait and left it there. Called Uber Eats number and told high volume calls and they hung up. Very poor service from both.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Food was delivered cold and Uber Eats say they can’t do anything about that. $30.00 down the drain. I won’t order through Uber Eats again for me to receive cold food and reheat it, I couldn’t enjoy the meal. When we pay for services it should be provided as it should be.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I have ordered a lot from Uber eats but recently they have changed their policies that is anti customer service. First let me let you know my last to delivers took 1 hour and 45 minutes. I worked for Pizzahut in college and we prided ourselves to get delivery to you in thirty min but if it was a hour we would discount your food. I find all the deliver service are take over a hour. Second, uber is now charging a extra fee if they don't have enough driver. So now you pay more to get cold food. I am surprised know gas called the health department. I know the temp we are getting our food at are below safety standards, Uber likes to charge a additional fee to be prioritized which cause more of a issue with getting your food on time. I worked for pizzahut for many years and we never charged these outrageous service fees and what's more amazing the delivery apps are double dipping charging the restaurant and the customer and expect tips over the top.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

I’m not a person who complains a lot. And trust me when I say I’ve given them a lot of chances. But it seems like something is always wrong with the service and/or food. Either they can’t find my address, and honestly my address is easy to find, or items are missing, or the food is cold and/or unappetizing. And any time I’ve turned to Uber Eats for support, they just conveniently aren’t available. This time I paid for items I didn’t even receive because “no refund is available.” I tried to connect to the delivery driver and he simply didn’t pick up. So I’m stuck paying for things I can’t even eat, because I didn’t get them.

Also one driver was even just too lazy to walk up the 14 stairs to my apartment, and because I couldn’t come downstairs she said she would have to give my delivery to someone else, meanwhile she was sitting right under my window in her car, but lied to me, saying she was on a bicycle. She ended up bringing my order up, but what was the point of that? I did my research and turns out drivers who don’t have insurance and current registration often claim they’re using a bicycle. I guess that’s their issue but don’t sit right outside my window in your Honda Accord and tell me you’re on a bicycle. I’ll be deleting my Uber Eats account after this because there have just been too many issues.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

Worst customer service! Every time I have tried to use this service something has gone wrong. I have had missing items that they refuse to refund me for. Also, the drivers don't follow instructions. I always ask for the order to be delivered directly to me and instead they leave it at the door. The last driver didn't even ring the bell or knock so I was unaware my food was delivered. It sat in the freezing cold. Uber did nothing for me to rectify the situation.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

This is the worst customer support I have ever dealt with. I have guys working out of town and do not have transportation to go get food so I have them use Uber Eats business but that was a huge mistake. To start off with they delivered the food to wrong address when there was very specific directions I left for them. Took me over an hour to get in contact with someone and then when I finally did they would not help my guys get any food, said they would refund but that’s it. Now keep in mind this is after 9 pm, they are starving working in the freezing cold all day. So they get no help from customer support, tell them to order again so they did and 20 minutes after ordering again this is after 11, get email saying they can’t deliver food, try again somewhere else and customer service still won’t help. I’m very disappointed in this company and will never recommend to anyone. In fact I’ll do the opposite and tell everyone what a piece of crap company it is

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

First, let me just say that this is by far the first time I have made a complaint about a driver bringing an order to my home. But, I guess, it happens. I placed an order from Oceanway Liquors, here in Jacksonville, FL, for a bottle of Red wine. Specifically, the wine was Barefoot Cellars Sweet Red Blend, 1.5L red wine (10.5% ABV) $12.99. The total of the order was $21.00. I ordered it December 13, 2021 around 4:30 pm. Order ID #**. I ordered it for my sister who is 44 years old, born 1977. Additionally, I placed other separate orders of food for the home. We are family, so payment is often made either by me, my sister, or my mother. In this case, it was my mother. I added my sister's name as the wine was for her. I was told she only needed to show ID to verify herself and her age.

When Betty, our delivery driver showed up around 5pm, she was right away unprofessional in manner and tone (i.e short, curt, and spoke as if speaking to a child). It appeared she was only looking for a way NOT to deliver the order. My sister had been informed her ID would be needed. She works at home, so was just ending her shift at 5pm as well. She gave my mother her ID to present at the door just in case, and was literally stationed across the room from the front door. Right after Betty started engaging with my mother, my sister's shift ended and she was asked to come to the door. The driver started mummering and backing away as my sister was halfway to the door, stating that the ID was expired. The delivery driver turned and was headed off the side of the porch, down the steps, and to her car, before my sister even made it to the door.

My mother tried to wave her down, because if an expired ID prevents my 44 year old sister from being legal age, it was my mother's payment of the item that should have made her become legal again. My mother is 68 years old, born 1953. In other words, it was pretty obvious they were of legal age. Instead, Betty got in her car and returned the bottle of wine to the store. The order was cancelled. This senseless act caused a restocking fee of $15!!!

As she was returning to the store, I called to ask why didn't she check with my mother as well, if there was an issue? She did not respond. The lack of response was monumental. Of course, the item was reordered AND delivered. New driver confirmed to my mother and sister that age and physical identity is what is verified. Not, if a license expires and a person hasn't driven in a while. God bless anyone who is 80 years old, with an expired license, haven't driven in 20 years, wants wine, and runs into Betty as their delivery driver.

In any case, today starts my sister's weekend off from work, so I'm glad she will be able to relax with a glass of wine. The absence of common sense and professionalism and the resulting damage it caused financially is utterly ridiculous. I respect those who take the time to pick up our orders and bring them to us. Please, don't get me wrong. However, there are just some drivers who empower themselves beyond reason. They think they are being superheroes, when in actuality they've only placed their underwear over their heads and an aluminum wand in their hands. Please be mindful and use common sense with these things. These are real people with real lives. Be a real hero to your customer, not a laughing stock to a pair of people who are of very mature ages.

Uber Eats Company Information