2. Miscellaneous

2.2/5 (59 ratings)

About Instacart

Instacart is a grocery delivery service that allows customers to shop one app and get access to multiple stores. Users can submit a grocery order online or through the app and have groceries delivered straight to their door for a one-time or monthly fee.

Pros

• Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options

Cons

• Prices may be higher than in store

Bottom Line

Instacart has changed the way people go grocery shopping. It allows for customization and flexible scheduling options. The membership option helps reduce fees for regular users.

BOTTOM LINE

PROS
  • Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options
CONS
  • Prices may be higher than in store

How does Instacart work?

Instacart hires background-checked and trained personal shoppers to handle your grocery shopping. All you have to do is put a list together, schedule your delivery, pay online and receive your order. Here’s how it works:

Put your list together
Creating a grocery list on Instacart is simple:
  1. Enter your ZIP code to find out which local grocery stores partner with Instacart.
  2. Browse the different grocery stores and pharmacies to find the items you need. You can browse by item name or department.
  3. Add items to your cart and review your final selections.
  4. Check out by entering your payment info and scheduling a drop-off window. If you are ordering from multiple stores, you need to designate a drop-off time for each location.
  5. You also have the option of sharing a cart with friends or family. This is a great way for families to add what they need to a single cart, but payments can’t be split up.
Replacements
If your shopper gets to the store and an item on your list is not available, they replace it with the product’s closest match, replace it with something different from a list of approved items or skip getting the item altogether. You can choose which option you prefer when creating your grocery list.

If the replacement item is a different price than your original item, you receive a refund or are charged for the difference in cost. The Instacart app lets you communicate with your shopper during the process so you can add things to your order and see replies and updates from the shopper.

Schedule the drop-off
Once you create your list and complete your order, it’s time to pay and schedule a delivery. You can schedule the delivery within a few hours or set a day and time that works with your schedule.

During checkout, you can include delivery instructions for the driver, including gate codes, apartment numbers, parking instructions or ways for the shopper to identify your home.

Track the order and receive your groceries
It’s easy to track your order status with the Instacart app. Tap the “Account” icon, click on “Your orders,” and then tap an order to view its status. You can see the progress of your order directly on the app and get real-time updates on what items the shopper has already picked up for you.

When the shopper leaves the store, you receive a notification about the estimated time of arrival and an option to click and follow the driver’s progress.

Instacart Express

It’s worth looking into Instacart Express if you use the company’s service regularly. This monthly membership gives you access to exclusive benefits such as:

• No delivery fees on orders of $35 or more
  • Reduced service fees
  • No increased pricing fees during peak delivery hours
  • The ability to shop at a variety of stores with free delivery on the entire order

Instacart prices

While Instacart makes life a little easier for many consumers, this convenience comes with a cost. Instacart charges a few fees to every order, including:

• A 5% service fee on every non-Instacart Express order.
  • A sliding scale fee for alcohol purchases that varies based on how much alcohol you buy. For example, there is a $2 fee for alcohol orders up to $35 and a $10 fee for alcohol orders of $110 or more. These fees are reduced for Express members.
  • A default tip of 5% is added to every order but can be adjusted to your preference. Tips are always optional, and 100% of your tip goes to the shopper.

You may notice that your service fee changes between the time you make your order and the time your groceries are purchased. This is because the service fee is based on the total cost of the order and replacements can change that total slightly.

An Instacart Express annual membership costs $99. You can also purchase monthly memberships for $9.99 each month.

Instacart FAQ

Do you have to be home for Instacart delivery?
No. Instacart just rolled out a “leave at my door” delivery option. When you choose this option at checkout, the shopper leaves your groceries at the door, takes a photo and uploads the photo to the app so you know your order has arrived.
Does Instacart bring your groceries inside?
No. For safety reasons, shoppers leave your groceries in a predetermined place outside of your home.
Do you tip Instacart?
Yes. Tipping for great service is customary, and 100% of the tip goes to the shopper.
What stores can I order from on Instacart?
Available stores vary based on where you live. Instacart partners with Publix, Costco, CVS, The Fresh Market, Aldi, Kroger and many other popular grocery retailers.

Is Instacart legit?

Instacart is a reputable business that provides a safe, convenient way to buy groceries without needing to visit stores. The service can be a game-changer for busy families — grocery shopping is a time-consuming errand, and having the ability to assign it to someone else frees up hours in your day. Instacart is a great option for those who dislike grocery shopping or want to spend their time doing something else. The fees are minimal, and regular Instacart members can upgrade to Instacart Express and reduce these fees even more.

Instacart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?

Original review: May 12, 2021

They don't do verification if you mess up. They lock your account until you submit government ID and Credit card pic so they can verify the credit card is yours. That's not their place. Theirs is to confirm I simply placed an order. My credit card company protects me just fine. Oh! If you were expecting to feed the kids, they may have to wait up to 48 hours while you argue with their logic....even if you submit to their unwarranted requests. Keep your government ID and credit card details to yourself. Every other online service I use, uses a verification process (email or text or phone). Not these guys. They think they merit our personal info.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Terrifying experience. Delivery driver was asked to leave items and I would get them when they were back to their car. The man took pictures of the items being left but continued standing outside. I assumed he was confused so I went to the door and he tried to come in and said "more tip". This man also did not have a mask on. I told him I've added a tip at the checkout, which I did. My dog tried to get out and got in his way from coming inside, I got the door shut and locked immediately. He began beating on the door and yanking on my door handle. The man stayed outside my door for 15 minutes.

I spoke with Instacart and they told me they wouldn't send him to me again? I said that is unacceptable and not good enough. They said they would call me back to do a report in two hours, since haven't responded to my email nor called me back. Spoke with superstore manager and was told they have nothing to do with the delivery? Mind you I was redirected to the delivery from instacart from the superstore website, until I spoke to the manager at superstore. They advertise for instacart and don't seem to care who they are sending to peoples homes? I don't recommend ANYONE using this service, especially any elderly or people home alone. Instacart doesn't take action for these workers and it's unacceptable and unsafe

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

First of all, I would like to state that a very high percentage of the deliveries I have received via Instacart were faulty. I would receive substitutions for items without being asked what I would like as a replacement, they have skipped items that were in stock, and my favorite one: they substitute flavors at their own discretion without asking. That's like ordering chicken but receiving fish, or ordering a strawberry ice cream bar and receiving mango. On one occasion the store manager PERSONALLY delivered an item to my house that was in stock WHILE the Instacart shopper was at my door. I try to avoid all deliveries now and have them deposited to the trunk of my car by the grocery store instead.

Original review: April 22, 2021

A girl driver, in a dark blue civic, with dyed hair, and a baby seat in the back? Seriously? Flicked a lit joint in my car window after I accidentally cut her off. She actually delivered down the street from me after that. Are they really hiring people without drug testing them? I don't know how Instacart works, but this can't be right.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I have used Instacart shopping and delivery service 6 times since last year. Only 2 of those were successful. The Shopper either could not find common items or replaced items with something completely different than what I ordered. Like replacing spinach with asparagus or a whole pie in place of a single slice. Not to mention that items are replaced even when "no substitutes" is selected. My last experience was on 4/18/21. On this event, my order was delivered to an unknown address. Instacart customer service refused to provide an instant credit and stated that my refund should appear on my bankcard in 7-10 days. Now I'm out of an additional $120 when they could have easily issued the credit to my account for immediate use. This service has proved to be a waste of my time and money.

Original review: March 28, 2021

$99 was deducted from my checking account for the express service that I did not request, because I paid my regular bills my account is overdrawn and I was charged a fee. Extremely disappointed as nothing was stated that this would be done. If this is their practice it should be stated where you can see the information. I would never have used knowing that I would be set up for a year subscription! I deleted the account and my debit card. BEWARE!

Original review: March 21, 2021

Their system is seriously going thru a path of destruction. Beware of making a mistake trying to log in into your Insta account, because their system will automatically create a new/multiple accounts with ANY type of personal info you give them, YIKES! Also, they are erasing and typing wrong info on your account; I was a customer beginning 2020, and the system now says I was a customer in 2019 (I have my bank records to prove otherwise). NO ORDERS from 2020 up 'til now appear on my account, but I placed several of them! Their customer service agents will not connect me with a supervisor or higher rep. to try to solve the problem; they just keep going around & around blaming me for their faulty system.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Yesterday I shopped for three Instacart customers on a batch order. At the register I realized that I had misplaced my instacart credit card. I was tempted to cancel the order, but decided to text help on the app and was told that I could purchase for these customers with my own Mastercard and would readily be reimbursed for the three customers' orders. I didn't want to leave these customers in the lurch, so I went ahead and purchased their items on my credit card. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Totals were $47.07, $23.16, $63.81.

I followed all of the protocols on the app, sent in the receipts and the same day got an email refusing to reimburse me!!!! Why would anyone want to spend their own money on strangers let alone shop tirelessly getting them exactly what they need, organic etc.... Deliver the items to each stranger then be told by instacart.... "Go ahead pay with your own money SUCKER. Follow our protocols then take the $130. Something loss because our instacart team misadvised you."

Original review: March 19, 2021

This is now my sixth time reaching out. I’m reaching out on behalf of my husband. He is unable to contact support because his account has been wrongfully deactivated and no one has replied to all his emails! The five other people I talked to said that they passed the issue onto their team and that we would hear back via email and it’s been days now and we haven’t heard anything. A customer complained and said their groceries smelled like smoke which isn’t possible because we are a smoke free home. I just a had a baby 6 weeks ago and I no longer am able to do Instacart but prior to my child I used the same car he is using to deliver and never had any complaints!

Right now instacart is our only source of income and we have been struggling greatly! It’s so wrong to do this to us when we have worked so hard for instacart and always loved doing it. We are in the middle of a pandemic and struggling enough and now this is making everything worse! We have rent to pay and baby to feed and I am unable to work due to lack of childcare cause of Covid. I need someone to help me and really actually help me with this issue instead of lying to me to get rid of me. The number we googled for instacart support is no longer in service and he isn’t allowed to contact support because he’s been deactivated and we’ve reached out several times through email and never heard anything back.

I am reaching out to get some answers! This is absolutely disgraceful that no one can even give us a reply. We worked hard for instacart! We would work from 6am all the way until we couldn’t do it anymore! I worked until I was about to give birth. I worked all the way up up until two days prior to giving birth and you guys are really going to do this to me and my family over a liar! This is an outrage and I’ve never experienced such cruel treatment from a company!

We’re in the middle of a pandemic and you people can’t even reach out to us to get the full story. You just deactivated and ignore us! Truly sickening and disgraceful. We always spoke so highly of instacart but now I will make sure to never recommend instacart to any one of my friends and family! A representative just told me another lie that the account can’t be reactivated once it’s deactivated! That it’s reached the final stages which is a lie because it has we’ve researched reviews where accounts have been reactivated before.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I used this Company for 7 months and thought it was great up until today. I arrived at Publix during my pick-up window, had received several text about my order saying David V was working on it then another saying it was ready for pick-up only to arrive and with several Publix associates telling me no order was found but 175.00 had already been placed on my account (3 business days). I left with no groceries and a hold of funds on my checking acct. On the phone with them 1 hr. 5 mins., with no explanation to how this happened.

Instacart Company Information