2. Miscellaneous

2.5/5 (197 ratings)

About Instacart

Instacart is a grocery delivery service that allows customers to shop one app and get access to multiple stores. Users can submit a grocery order online or through the app and have groceries delivered straight to their door for a one-time or monthly fee.

Pros

• Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options

Cons

• Prices may be higher than in store

Bottom Line

Instacart has changed the way people go grocery shopping. It allows for customization and flexible scheduling options. The membership option helps reduce fees for regular users.

Instacart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?

Original review: May 22, 2021

I disagree with the policy above that you have to give at least one star. This company deserves no stars to be honest. Every time I deal with Instacart I have to wonder what part will be bad. Today it's that for a month I am to be charged no delivery fees but lo and behold there they are two of them then God knows this time if they will bring me all of the items I have listed and they are a very poor excuse of a delivery company.

For those of us on limited income who are seniors who do not drive it's a real pain to have to do this as they do not care what they put in the cart so long as it's the number of items and the shoppers are not very good shopping for several customers at the same time. Last time I dealt with them I canceled the order and back came a text asking the entire order. I stated it 3 times in the hope the person would get the idea it's canceled. Duh what part of cancel the order does the person not understand. Person has not started yet shopping but I expect there will be problems.

I have not had this problem with other companies. This one is a disaster. I have ordered 6 items today and we will see how many of them I do receive if any. One time with Aldi the store. Also today the shopper canceled the order on his own merit because he had car problems instead of turning it over to another shopper. I am forced to use them because I like Aldi and they are only one at this time who shops for home bound people like me.

Original review: May 19, 2021

Buyers beware!!! I had a horrible experience with my Instacart order that I placed last night! I believe instacart are scammers! Immediately after I placed my order of $16.76, I immediately screenshot my order that stated, "Your Mastercard card was temporarily authorized for $17.60. Your statement will reflect a final charge within 7 business days of order completion". AFTER WAKING UP THIS MORNING, I CHECKED MY INSTACART ORDER AGAIN, WHICH NOW STATED, "Your Mastercard card was temporarily authorized for $30.00. Your statement will reflect a final charge within 7 business days of order completion".

I was furious when I saw this, and immediately checked my bank account, which now shows 2 pending payments of $17.60 and also an additional $12.40, totaling $30.00! I called instacart and gave them a piece of my mind. I will never place another order with instacart again in my life!!! I advise everyone else to stay far away from instacart as well, because they are not right and can't be trusted at all!

Original review: May 12, 2021

They don't do verification if you mess up. They lock your account until you submit government ID and Credit card pic so they can verify the credit card is yours. That's not their place. Theirs is to confirm I simply placed an order. My credit card company protects me just fine. Oh! If you were expecting to feed the kids, they may have to wait up to 48 hours while you argue with their logic....even if you submit to their unwarranted requests. Keep your government ID and credit card details to yourself. Every other online service I use, uses a verification process (email or text or phone). Not these guys. They think they merit our personal info.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Terrifying experience. Delivery driver was asked to leave items and I would get them when they were back to their car. The man took pictures of the items being left but continued standing outside. I assumed he was confused so I went to the door and he tried to come in and said "more tip". This man also did not have a mask on. I told him I've added a tip at the checkout, which I did. My dog tried to get out and got in his way from coming inside, I got the door shut and locked immediately. He began beating on the door and yanking on my door handle. The man stayed outside my door for 15 minutes.

I spoke with Instacart and they told me they wouldn't send him to me again? I said that is unacceptable and not good enough. They said they would call me back to do a report in two hours, since haven't responded to my email nor called me back. Spoke with superstore manager and was told they have nothing to do with the delivery? Mind you I was redirected to the delivery from instacart from the superstore website, until I spoke to the manager at superstore. They advertise for instacart and don't seem to care who they are sending to peoples homes? I don't recommend ANYONE using this service, especially any elderly or people home alone. Instacart doesn't take action for these workers and it's unacceptable and unsafe

Original review: April 30, 2021

First of all, I would like to state that a very high percentage of the deliveries I have received via Instacart were faulty. I would receive substitutions for items without being asked what I would like as a replacement, they have skipped items that were in stock, and my favorite one: they substitute flavors at their own discretion without asking. That's like ordering chicken but receiving fish, or ordering a strawberry ice cream bar and receiving mango. On one occasion the store manager PERSONALLY delivered an item to my house that was in stock WHILE the Instacart shopper was at my door. I try to avoid all deliveries now and have them deposited to the trunk of my car by the grocery store instead.

Original review: April 22, 2021

A girl driver, in a dark blue civic, with dyed hair, and a baby seat in the back? Seriously? Flicked a lit joint in my car window after I accidentally cut her off. She actually delivered down the street from me after that. Are they really hiring people without drug testing them? I don't know how Instacart works, but this can't be right.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I have used Instacart shopping and delivery service 6 times since last year. Only 2 of those were successful. The Shopper either could not find common items or replaced items with something completely different than what I ordered. Like replacing spinach with asparagus or a whole pie in place of a single slice. Not to mention that items are replaced even when "no substitutes" is selected. My last experience was on 4/18/21. On this event, my order was delivered to an unknown address. Instacart customer service refused to provide an instant credit and stated that my refund should appear on my bankcard in 7-10 days. Now I'm out of an additional $120 when they could have easily issued the credit to my account for immediate use. This service has proved to be a waste of my time and money.

Original review: March 28, 2021

$99 was deducted from my checking account for the express service that I did not request, because I paid my regular bills my account is overdrawn and I was charged a fee. Extremely disappointed as nothing was stated that this would be done. If this is their practice it should be stated where you can see the information. I would never have used knowing that I would be set up for a year subscription! I deleted the account and my debit card. BEWARE!

Original review: March 21, 2021

Their system is seriously going thru a path of destruction. Beware of making a mistake trying to log in into your Insta account, because their system will automatically create a new/multiple accounts with ANY type of personal info you give them, YIKES! Also, they are erasing and typing wrong info on your account; I was a customer beginning 2020, and the system now says I was a customer in 2019 (I have my bank records to prove otherwise). NO ORDERS from 2020 up 'til now appear on my account, but I placed several of them! Their customer service agents will not connect me with a supervisor or higher rep. to try to solve the problem; they just keep going around & around blaming me for their faulty system.

Original review: March 19, 2021

Yesterday I shopped for three Instacart customers on a batch order. At the register I realized that I had misplaced my instacart credit card. I was tempted to cancel the order, but decided to text help on the app and was told that I could purchase for these customers with my own Mastercard and would readily be reimbursed for the three customers' orders. I didn't want to leave these customers in the lurch, so I went ahead and purchased their items on my credit card. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Totals were $47.07, $23.16, $63.81.

I followed all of the protocols on the app, sent in the receipts and the same day got an email refusing to reimburse me!!!! Why would anyone want to spend their own money on strangers let alone shop tirelessly getting them exactly what they need, organic etc.... Deliver the items to each stranger then be told by instacart.... "Go ahead pay with your own money SUCKER. Follow our protocols then take the $130. Something loss because our instacart team misadvised you."

Original review: March 19, 2021

This is now my sixth time reaching out. I’m reaching out on behalf of my husband. He is unable to contact support because his account has been wrongfully deactivated and no one has replied to all his emails! The five other people I talked to said that they passed the issue onto their team and that we would hear back via email and it’s been days now and we haven’t heard anything. A customer complained and said their groceries smelled like smoke which isn’t possible because we are a smoke free home. I just a had a baby 6 weeks ago and I no longer am able to do Instacart but prior to my child I used the same car he is using to deliver and never had any complaints!

Right now instacart is our only source of income and we have been struggling greatly! It’s so wrong to do this to us when we have worked so hard for instacart and always loved doing it. We are in the middle of a pandemic and struggling enough and now this is making everything worse! We have rent to pay and baby to feed and I am unable to work due to lack of childcare cause of Covid. I need someone to help me and really actually help me with this issue instead of lying to me to get rid of me. The number we googled for instacart support is no longer in service and he isn’t allowed to contact support because he’s been deactivated and we’ve reached out several times through email and never heard anything back.

I am reaching out to get some answers! This is absolutely disgraceful that no one can even give us a reply. We worked hard for instacart! We would work from 6am all the way until we couldn’t do it anymore! I worked until I was about to give birth. I worked all the way up up until two days prior to giving birth and you guys are really going to do this to me and my family over a liar! This is an outrage and I’ve never experienced such cruel treatment from a company!

We’re in the middle of a pandemic and you people can’t even reach out to us to get the full story. You just deactivated and ignore us! Truly sickening and disgraceful. We always spoke so highly of instacart but now I will make sure to never recommend instacart to any one of my friends and family! A representative just told me another lie that the account can’t be reactivated once it’s deactivated! That it’s reached the final stages which is a lie because it has we’ve researched reviews where accounts have been reactivated before.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I used this Company for 7 months and thought it was great up until today. I arrived at Publix during my pick-up window, had received several text about my order saying David V was working on it then another saying it was ready for pick-up only to arrive and with several Publix associates telling me no order was found but 175.00 had already been placed on my account (3 business days). I left with no groceries and a hold of funds on my checking acct. On the phone with them 1 hr. 5 mins., with no explanation to how this happened.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Today I placed an order through Instacart and my food was not delivered. I was told that the driver delivered the food to the wrong house and that I could not get a new grocery order tonight and that I had wait until the next day or 5-10 business days to get a refund. The customer service team, unlike Door Dash, is poor and seemed insincere. I had just signed up for the free delivery membership. I cancelled the membership and will never use this service again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Yesterday, I placed an order and received ground turkey and sour cream that had been marked down on clearance because the expiration was approaching. I was charged the regular price, so obviously this company is not charging the actual sale price of the item from the store, but not disclosing this anywhere. Today, I received an app notification today for a promotional $30 off of an annual express membership. I "clicked" on the notification to follow the link but it took me to the sign up page with no discount applied.

Since the notification was now cleared from my phone, I contacted customer service to assist. Three different chat support CSRs repeatedly asked me for a screenshot which I obviously couldn't supply. They then said they'd look into a solution but after minutes of waiting they "hung up" on me by ending the chat. I wasted over an hour of my morning just trying to GIVE THEM MONEY! I hate to think of what happens to people who are over-charged. I have no way to reach anyone in the US with any actual knowledge or authority so I guess I'll just give up and find a company that actually wants my business.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Instacart is a terrible waste of time. Tried it for the first time today with 2 large store chains. Never received any deliveries and now I am out more then $200 for groceries that I never received. I have to wait 5-10 business days for a full refund when they took money from my account as soon as I made the orders I never received. Please people do your own shopping, instacart is a lousy alternative unless you have time and money to throw away.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I have had to use Instacart a lot since the start of the pandemic. I look forward to going back to in-person shopping. While Instacart is convenient, almost every time I have shopped, I either got an item I didn't ask for (as in, someone else requested the item and it was given to me by mistake) or one of my items was missing. Also, the shoppers substitute my requested items with items I didn't approve of and didn't want. I have complained to customer service and gotten refunds, but they never mark down my complaints, so the mistakes keep happening. The service is too expensive to be this dysfunctional.

Shoppers: either stop shopping for multiple customers or pay attention to what each customer orders to make sure the right items are in each bag. Instacart: have a better customer complaint system that actually records the customer's complaints and implements changes so that the mistakes are not repeated. Finally, please do something about your ID system to make it no-contact. I understand California requires a show of ID every time you purchase alcohol, but there should be a way to do it so that you don't have to be in physical contact with the shopper.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I am so frustrated! I love Sprouts, but their only delivery option is Instacart. I tried Instacart for a while but every single delivery had a problem and my last delivery before I cancelled never arrived. I should've known they are terrible when my first delivery was mainly meat products and I'm vegan. I tip really, really well because I so very much appreciate what the people who are delivering are doing. I'm not blaming them. I'm blaming Instacart.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

Order system: I selected the Costco Items, but no order button or order selection. Had to call Instacart and person placed my order. Delivery: delivery was supposed to be noon to 2 pm. Around 1:30 pm I got a text that said I was next on delivery. THIS WAS A LIE. I got another text that said my delivery would be by 3 pm. THIS WAS A LIE. I called Instacart at 3:40 pm. Nathan said they were short of shoppers and a shopper had been assigned. So the order was not even out for delivery. Terrible shopping experience! Cancelled the order and complained to Costco customer service. Told them to use a reliable delivery service.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I just posted a review of their service on their page and they promptly deleted it. My review detailed how we've had many negative issues with their employees in the past of stating that the groceries we ordered were out of stock or did not exist. Tonight was the final straw for me... After the umpteenth time that we had this issue, I finally decided to handle it myself. About 20 minutes after we had our groceries delivered, I went to the store to verify that the items the employee said were missing/out of stock were indeed not there. As expected, I found ALL of the items that were claimed to be gone (and it wasn't just one or two items that they said were out of stock, but an entire list).

A couple of examples- employee said that the toilet paper we ordered was out of stock- there was literally an ENTIRE PALLET of the toilet paper there.... not in some obscure place, but right there... on the toilet paper aisle, with all of the other bathroom tissue. Another example- the employee said that the store had a sale with their strawberries at 99 cents and they were cleaned out and completely out of them. When I arrived, not only did the employee lie about the price on the strawberries, but I found TWO ENTIRE DISPLAYS of them. The first one was obviously picked over some (but there were plenty of strawberry packs still available for sure), but the second one was COMPLETELY FULL. Again... not in some obscure location, but right there in the produce section... with all of the other produce.

I called the customer support line to express my grievances at 888-246-7822. I normally don't write negative reviews because I get it... that sometimes things happen or perhaps they hired the wrong employee. But when we've had so many issues all with the same problems, it is clearly not just an employee issue- it is a company issue... from the way the company is organized, how they train their employees, or how they manage those employees. Blaming the worker only works for so long... but after so many negative experiences, this is definitely a company problem. And the fact that they removed my review immediately, tells me that this company is in fact entirely trash and lacks integrity and transparency.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

I order some stuff from BJ's. Delivery done by Instacart. I report some box of GoGo squeeZ are open. I file report. They say, "You get your refund back in 10 days of $29.98." We have email conversation about that with help dept. I did not get my refund back after 12 days yet.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I placed an order, texted with the shopper while she was shopping, got a text that my order was on its way, then a text that it was delivered. No delivery. It took 3 hours of phone calls and the shopper said she delivered it. All they offered was re delivery 6 hours later and free delivery on my NEXT order. I got a refund. (Will have to watch my statement for that) It was nearly impossible to get customer service help. I used the online chat and phone calls. So much for saving time. I now also have to go shopping. Hope someone enjoys my dinner,

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

I live in Pittsburgh PA area. I have used Instacart 5 or 6 times. I am very pleased with them. They do a great job. I usually order between $45 and $60 of items. All the people who have shipped for and delivered my groceries were great. I think it helps to order $100 or less. I have had no problems getting the items I want. I always go to the notes area on each item and give them an alternate. This really helps. It also helps to be on the app when they are shopping if they have a question. Thank you instacart for helping me by providing this great service!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I started using Instacart shortly after the pandemic started (about April 2020). I read the pricing policy as directed by them when I pointed out the glaring difference between their receipt and the paper receipt. Essentially what they're telling me is that an Instacart shopper can use a Plus Card from Kroger and get the discounts, but I can't. This I already knew from previous experience.

My question is, when they're ripping me off for, in this case, the $19.45 difference between the Instacart receipt and the paper receipt, who is pocketing that money? I mean, with all of the other fees and tips out of me - which apparently aren't ripping me off enough, where does THIS money go? Believe me, now that I KNOW they are ripping me off like this, in a time where deciding to eat or pay the rent is in question, it may be a cold day in hell before I use the service again. I am seriously distressed by this and I intend, wherever and whenever possible, to leave reviews regarding this and for the buyers to beware of what is really going on out there. This is reprehensible.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I don’t even want to give 1 star. I don’t even want to give 1 star. It took multiple emails to get a refund on two items. At first they would only offer a credit. They pocketed the tax which is based on a percentage spent, they did not reduce the tip (which is a percentage of the total so obviously that should have decreased) and their service fee which is always 5% of what I’ve spent on past orders. They tried to explain what the service fee was for which doesn’t matter when it’s computed on a percentage of the total purchased. They lied and said the tax was refunded so, I did the math for them and they still maintained it was refunded. I’ll be reporting that to the appropriate entity. They refused to refund a mere $5.14 and opted to lose a customer that has been loyal throughout the pandemic spending almost 600.00 (which is a drop in the bucket for them but a ton of money for me). I’ll move onto a different service.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I have used InstaCart a number of times since signing up two or three months ago. The experience has been a mixed bag, but good enough and convenient enough that I have stayed with it. Until now. PROS: Generally workable website; efficient and timely shoppers; unfailingly polite online customer service with mostly good follow-through (until now). When there has been an issue with the shopper's product selection, I have considered it a part of my own learning curve to explain more explicitly in my order what I do and do not want, regarding both products and prices. And the one time a shopper ignored my "do not substitute" instruction, InstaCart was more than fair in refunding me.

CONS: (1) Lots of mostly minor issues with the website experience, but the number and variety suggest a site still in beta test status and a company expecting unannounced and uncompensated beta test services from customers who encounter these issues. I was very surprised to learn later they have been in business at least a couple of years and don't yet have these things worked out. (2) Shortly after allowing my Express arrangement to lapse I received an offer for 2 months free Express when signing up for it with a MasterCard (had been using Visa). Went through the sign-up and received an on-line confirmation--but somehow the account did not get set up.

Have now been through more than a dozen on-line communications with "customer service" and am getting nothing but an ever-so-polite runaround, basically having general policies of various sorts quoted at me rather than any attempt to address the issue itself. From the types of responses and the unusual names of many of the reps, it appears the nightmare of off-shored customer service is not yet over. If anyone at InstaCart--other than another "customer service" rep--is reading this, what is needed to make this even partly right is for you to honor the MasterCard offer.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I shopped at Instacart once. I ordered 4 cases of essentia water. When the shopper got to Costco he said they did not have essentia and therefore I opted for Fiji. When I received the order I got 4 cases of essentia. The bill was 202.00. I immediately called Instacart and they said they refunded me 92.81. I went to my bank today and they never refunded me. I filed a case in small claims court.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

I used them for the first time in early December 2020 for a $28 order. It worked out just fine, but I missed seeing people and getting out, so that was the only time. Then, on December 23, 2020 my card was charged $99 by instacart. No number to call, no way to contact them. I live on my Social Security and it is Christmas time! I admit, I was really angry. I called my credit union, they had to cancel my debit card and send me a new one and then refunded the $99 to me immediately while they go after Instacart. USAA is a first class Credit Union. Instacart had better get their act together.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I completed an order with Instacart online for items from Stop and Shop. After receiving the items, the receipt from the store indicated that the amount was $128. However, I was billed $152 from Instacart before the tip or fees. When I spoke with an Instacart associate, they indicated that their price is different from the retailer. This is deceptive and should be illegal. If the item is on sale in the store, I should get the sale price and not overpay by $24. I understand the fee and tip for the service but do not understand or appreciate the price differential.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

A man was able to pose as a woman named “Barbara”. He was able to accept my delivery order, have access to my card, and he pretended to shop for my groceries. I say pretend because somehow, he shopped a large order in under 10 minutes, got all items no substitutions, and added $150 to my order under an item called “Prim”. He then checked out and delivery was pending. When I seen my $250 order was now over $400 I reached out to him and he switched my delivery to delivered.

I called Instacart, and at first they wanted to tell him to return the “prim” and bring me my groceries. I told them he doesn’t have them, he faked the whole thing, and he’s just straight up stealing $400. I also told them I would never be ok with this man coming to my home, and I wanted a full refund. They eventually cancelled my order and black listed him, but my refund won’t show up for 5-10 days. That’s all the money I had and now I’m broke with no groceries. Let me repeat: a man posed as a woman and pretended to shop, added $150 in items I didn’t request, and then when I asked him what the charge was for, he switched my order to “delivered” and made off with $400 of my money, which won’t be refunded for 5-10 days.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Member for 1 year, 100 % of my orders had correct order and correct replacement. Not charged for higher priced items by shopper. I prefer to say no replacement to avoid back and forth correspondence. Cons: Never get sales prices. Min. of 2$ EACH item more than price in store. $50 in store is 80 Instacart. I sometimes have to take the hit $. But the shoppers in Alsip IL area are GREAT. I don't want to give shoppers in my area a bad reputation. When I needed it they came through. Also I tip really well.

Instacart Company Information