2.7/5 (464 ratings)

About Instacart

Instacart is a grocery delivery service that allows customers to shop one app and get access to multiple stores. Users can submit a grocery order online or through the app and have groceries delivered straight to their door for a one-time or monthly fee.

Pros

• Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options

Cons

• Prices may be higher than in store

Bottom Line

Instacart has changed the way people go grocery shopping. It allows for customization and flexible scheduling options. The membership option helps reduce fees for regular users.

Instacart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?

Original review: July 30, 2022

I paid for an expensive delivery and they just never came. They canceled it after telling me it would be late multiple times and I was eventually told I'd get a refund at some point in 5-10 business days. I won't be sick by then and can't afford to reorder until I'm refunded since it had a bunch of expensive medicine in the bill. The support staff told me there was nothing they could do because they'd cancelled and refunded it without asking me since "that seemed better."

Original review: July 29, 2022

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS APP. It's totally fraud. It tries to drag people in with coupons and cancel orders at last minutes to charge late fees. The customer service pretended to be nice, but is completely helpless. My $17 are gone for a lesson.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Gave no reason! Placed order, billed paid. At 6 am at 8ish am get "Sorry. Order cancelled." Try to reorder. I just signed on with them recently and so I promptly cancel after they said, "Oh your refund will be 5/7 days." Why? On a debit card you got 55.00 you sent thru. Now I wait. Will never you the service again. Called Uber. Was 6.50 ride to store and back and whole lot less than 55.00.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Since I have COVID, I ordered Instacart for basics, as well as an at-home COVID test. The shopper did not communicate with me while shopping. When the delivery arrived, one item was missing and an item that I did not order was present. As well, without explanation, the COVID test was simply ignored by the shopper when it was out-of-stock while replacements were potentially available. The shopper did not respond to my message about the mistakes. While submitting my complaint to customer service via the app, my question could not effectively be answered. Live, over-the-phone customer service was also ineffective.

My question is this: Since I cannot leave my home to personally buy the items that the shopper did not deliver, I will need to reorder the items, pay all associated fees and tips, along with the cost of the items, so why doesn't Instacart offer to pay associated shopping and delivery fees, along with refunding the original cost of the items? The burden becomes the client's while the cause of the burden is the company's. Only refunding the cost of the missing purchases only rectifies part of the misdeed. A consumer should not assume the financial responsibility for a company's error.

The customer service representative delivered a robotic-like response that impersonally and unapologetically mimicked the automatic responses offered by the app's customer service messaging services: Instacart does not refund delivery fees nor tips. Courtesies are not offered to customers of Instacart, so customers risk time and money when using this service; meanwhile, Instacart capitalizes in all key areas of a seemingly customer-focused business.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I tried to buy green plantains from Shoprite through Instacart and they cost $2.20 when at the store they cost 30 cents. I called Instacart and told me that Shoprite don't offer discounts to Instacart. I think this is absolute nonsense, I will never use Instacart again.

Original review: July 27, 2022

Instacart is horrible and today I am out money for them shorting me meat! Gave me a partial refund, they clearly didn’t read what happened to me! The shopper seemed like he scammed me, but the service had been horrible for a while now! I am never using their service again they stole from and robbed me!

Original review: July 26, 2022

If I could give 0 stars I would. Placed an order through Instacart. Not only did I not receive one single thing, but the person shopping for my order changed my quantities of items and my bank account was charged over $300 for those additional items. Seems likely that the worker Cassandra working for instacart upped my quantities and either returned the food for cash/gift cards, kept all the food for themselves, or is selling it and getting money. Such a scam. BEWARE OF INSTACART!

Original review: July 25, 2022

They are thieves, stole my debit card number info. Wouldn't tell me how they got it. Debited my account. Had to close my account. Never used them before. Calling better business. They caused a lot of problems. Wouldnt let me speak to a supervisor. Pissed.

Original review: July 25, 2022

This company is pocketing millions of dollars for robbing people. I've had so many items missing from my orders and they won't refund or credit me back. Can you imagine how much money they are pocketing? Thiefs.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I tried to open an account with them, but because I live in a very rural area there was only one store they would deliver from. Also they were claiming the price of all the products were more than the advertised and shelf prices. I texted them about that they claim that is what the store is charging. The store claims that is what Instacart charges to make extra money without charging big delivery fees. So, I cancelled the account. Now a year later I got four charges on my credit card in one day totaling $167.24. I tried to get help on their website but they would not help without signing in. Of Course, when I tried to sign in it stated my account was locked.

Original review: July 23, 2022

I got an account for emergency business orders. The fact that they lock out my account almost every time I make a purchase. It takes a minimum of 2 hrs to reset my account. They are great, absolute stars at costing my company money. I have over $1000 in holds from my bank that they refuse to release until I called my credit card company to declared fraud activity on Instacart themselves.

Original review: July 23, 2022

Too many times have shoppers missed items, gave me the wrong items, or spoiled/rotten items. I even had a time when the shopper squashed and broke the bottle of the dish washing soap I bought and leaked all over everything. Quite a few times got fruits and vegetables with mold on. And a few times where it seemed they swapped my bags with someone else. Every time Instacart asked for a photo proof from the app I would take the photo immediately (however, they rarely do). This time, however, I ordered a container of cherry tomatoes and had some moldy rotten ones inside, very gross.

I reported the issue, and they sent an email saying they restricted my account. They sent an email saying "Instacart has reviewed your account after seeing a high number of refund requests and based on this activity will restrict your ability to request future refunds, credits and redeliveries." And they refused to refund. Completely unfair. They could have asked for photos. But instead, their first move was to restrict my account. I have been honest each time. 100% integrity. What I am angry about most is not just that they restricted my account, but also they question my integrity. When do they ever question their own integrity of taking my money but not giving me the items I ordered?

Original review: July 22, 2022

Just 2 months into my year membership Instacart blocked my account. I placed an order for a neighbor using my credit card on file. Everything went smoothly with placing the order but within seconds Instacart blocked my account. This would not have been an issue except they could not unblock my account by any means other than my submitting a photo of my driver's license and credit card with some information blocked out. This might not have been an issue if I were on a computer but with just my cell phone this was not something I could supply. The Trust & Safety department told me that my only options were to supply a full photo of my full driver's license and full credit card or delete the account without refund. At this point I was feeling a big lack of trust in the company so I was not about to submit additional sensitive information. It's a shame, I really enjoyed the service offered but without support options I will not renew or reuse Instacart.

Original review: July 19, 2022

Always an issue with delivery. Leaving at wrong location, not following instructions such as call me on phone if there is an issue, don't text. Still they text. Don't leave groceries outside, yet they do and don't bother to call saying Groceries are delivered. The last straw was today when they took my groceries to someone at a totally different Condo complex. They didn't even bother to call saying the delivery was made. I had to call Instacart to find out where ** my groceries were! Absolute imbeciles. Instacart has no Quality Control whatsoever. Today was my last time using them. Stay ** away from this clown outfit because they are not ready for primetime. And get this...they say it will take 5-10 days for my ** refund of the groceries I never got!

Original review: July 18, 2022

My experience has been horrible. I have used Instacart weekly since 2019 and have seen the business model and service go downhill over the years. I was even a former Instacart shopper on and off for a year and loved the company. However, over time, I started experiencing missing items, cold items not in coolers that had to be thrown out due to being room temperature or expired items. Instacart was good to give me a refund. But, my account was unfairly put on 'restriction' and they no longer would give any kind or refund of expired, warm dairy items (from sitting in delivery drivers' back seats not as coolers as is promise) and missing (shopping for multiple orders and items/bags ending up getting swapped).

This is just wrong! In 3 years I placed 64 orders. The experience started going downhill after I paid for the 'membership fee' that allows for free delivery but then they started adding a very high @$13 service fee to every order. As a shopper I knew we were not supposed to put the customer's receipt into the bag(s). The 3 times I had the actual receipt I noticed the food was marked up quite a bit. So...I ended up paying way more for food, a high service fee for every order even though I paid an annual free delivery fee, I had missing, expired, warm dairy items and NO REFUNDS.

The app even says..."your items are temperature controlled and on the way"...I would meet the drivers outside of my gated complex and watch them take the bags out of the trunk or back seat, they did not use coolers or take any care whatsoever with a person's groceries. Instacart makes promises they do not keep. And charging for a delivery membership but then tacking on a high service fee? That's a scam. Between everything my orders were usually $30 more than going to the grocery store or doing curb side pick up. I took a risk and continued to order for the convenience but it's ridiculous to order from a company that has zero customer service, no guarantees of anything and keeps your money for items not received.

Shoppers wants more tips and take multiple orders making it hard to keep the orders straight and if you were the last delivery of 3 good luck receiving cold items. I had a horrible experience and will never order from this company again. This company did not help me in any way, they took my money and trust and did not live up to their promises. I normally do not write up reviews like this but had to share my experience.

Original review: July 16, 2022

They hate their job. They are a particular age, sex, nation of origin and behave in lock step fulfilling every stereotype. Unfortunately. Called because the app said order was for pickup at 5:15. After paying it changed it to 6pm. After it refreshed upon the next screen it said 7pm. When order was complete it said 8pm. 3 hours for 10 items? The bored “I hate my job” person answered the phone and was knitting an excuse that was filled with contradictions. I pointed them out to get the facts versus the narrative and typical, she hung up. That cost them the order and a $10 credit.

Original review: July 15, 2022

The shoppers keep getting worse and worse. Today they purchased two items which totaled $31.00 that were not authorized by me. Instacart refuses to provide a refund. I won't be using them anymore. $31.00 is money I could use for other things. The inflated charges resulted in an inflated tip. They no longer allow you to reduce the original tip when a shopper messes up your order. Trying to explain to customer service that you received the wrong items is a joke. They will argue with you, even if you are doing it via email. Not worth the hassle and the uncharge on products.

Original review: July 10, 2022

I had stopped using Instacart because of their frustrating, inconsistent ease of ordering groceries online. So I decided to try them again as I was having trouble ordering some items at my usual store that does not use Instacart. I spent way too much time putting together an order only to have Instacart, once again, not work at all. I got the spinning circle, not working at this time, reenter your address, reenter this or that, blah, blah, blah. My frustration level is extremely high. Needless to say I could not place my order and I went back to my usual store and didn't get the items that I need. Instacart stinks.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Like many others on here, suddenly I am no longer able to receive a refund or credit when my driver messes up (and they do frequently. Missing safety seals, warm squishy cheese, damaged produce, etc.). Double charged for a monthly membership and they refuse to refund and of it. They disconnected their customer service number so the only way to speak to someone is via chat and we all know anything through text is misconstrued. Horrible company.

Original review: July 9, 2022

I have used Instacart once in my entire life. After getting what I ordered it all seemed fine. I never applied to get Instacart Plus. Well today (a month later) I get a 109 dollar charge on my bank account. I canceled my subscription (which I never signed up for in the first place), and guess what? They are giving me a 99$ refund. I again never signed up for this service. They stole 10 dollars from me just because I had my debit card information on their app. This is a horrible company. Will never use their "service" if you can call it that ever again. Horrible company with a policy to rob people who aren't paying attention. Again I never signed up for Instacart Plus. I'm going to tell everyone I know to never use this service.

Original review: July 6, 2022

I am BEYOND frustrated with Costco Instacart. I have had SO many issues with missing items and spoiled items. I complained and now they restricted my account and they are no longer for refunding me for spoiled items or for anything. I received an email stating that I am not allowed to complain anymore to them because they received too many complaints from me. Shoppers have left food on my porch in the 95° heat without even ringing my doorbell so all of the perishables have spoiled. I called numerous times requesting that a supervisor from the appeals committee call me back so that I can discuss this with a human. No one has returned my calls. I have given up trying to reach a person to talk to so it is time to cancel my Instacart account. l am not paying for spoiled items anymore if I am not going to get refunded for them.

Original review: July 6, 2022

My entire order was delivered to the wrong address and the rep was able to see that the photo taken was not my address. They said they couldn't have the driver come back and a deliver to my house. They also would not give me a full credit to simply reorder my groceries. They said because the order was so much, a credit (OF MY OWN MONEY) needed to be approved which would like 24-48 hours!!! I have used Instacart for a long time now and I am cancelling my membership. Instacart does not value their customers.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I started using Instacart 2 years ago. I have had so many issues with missing items, wrong items and twice I got someone else's whole and someone else got mine. I always complain. Why should I pay for stuff I am not getting? Today they have send me an email saying I am not allowed to complain anymore to them because I do it too much. Time to cancel. I am not paying for items I don't get.

Original review: July 2, 2022

Used Instacart this morning for grocery delivery and within 5 minutes started getting FRAUD NOTIFICATIONS from bank! ONLY use this card for Instacart grocery delivery! They DO NOT SECURE your Card information! SHOPPER BEWARE!

Original review: June 30, 2022

My experience was horrible. I tried it out with the Instacart +($99.00). The service is supposed to save me time! Shoppers horrible, drivers don't know area, items missing, expired, open, damaged. Stay away.

Original review: June 29, 2022

I am beyond frustrated with Instacart at the moment, and many moments before. Instacart needs to figure out a better way for their 'shoppers' to make sure they have all the items that the customer requests, and the correct substitutes if any. I always seem to be missing items that the shopper says that they got and shopped for. I'm certainly charged for the items that I didn't receive. If this keeps happening then they are surely not double checking making sure that everything is in the van or car when they deliver to the customer. I need Instacart's Corporate office to address this problem that keeps occurring. Have a meeting and fix it guys!!!

Original review: June 27, 2022

I decided to use Instacart because my schedule was packed for the week. I asked for a specific item -no substitutions- and this morning, without a text, email, or knock on the door- received 72 cans of Fancy Feast cat food that my cats won't eat! When I called them they refused to credit my credit card and pick up the items that I informed them were still at the front door (I left the items there as I cannot use them). Instead they gave me a 'credit' for their business! I told them I would never use them again. So I have disputed the charge with Amex, and cancelled patients in order to return the items to the grocery store. Do not use this service- the only recourse we as customers have is to continue to share with others our experience and hope it runs them out of business.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Delivered Ice Cream and Fresh Meat inside porch bench (ok on a cold day). It's 100 today..No knock. No doorbell. No phone call. I just happen to look at my emails. Also my front door was open so I could know when they arrived. I have used them numerous times. ALways a problem.

Original review: June 20, 2022

As a disabled individual, this option would be awesome, but the company does not make corrections for shopper misuse of credit cards. We have had several instances where shoppers charged us for items we did not receive. We have also had instances when shoppers have purchased replacement items without our approval or authorization.

In my most recent experience, the shopper replaced items we specifically listed we wanted a refund for if they were out of stock. Instead, the shopper purchased a replacement item that was completely different than what we originally requested. We contacted Instacart and this is the second time they refused to give us a refund when their shopper spent our money without our authorization. We have pictures and videos of our order, requests for refunds on all items that were out of stock, and we will dispute it with our credit card company since IC is refusing to refund our money. In addition, I believe they hide the list of preferences on each order as when you place your order, you can not see your preferences for the items you request refunds on if they are out of stock. Instacart should know that unauthorized charges on someone's credit card is a criminal offense and stealing from a disabled person holds a higher criminal offense and penalty.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I have usually had a good experience with Instacart until recently. I received someone else's order. Tip and delivery fee were not refunded. I placed the order again and received a really bad replacement. They did not refund the full value replacement, just the extra that I had to pay even though the replacement was useless to me. I am not planning on making much use of Instacart going forward.

Instacart Company Information