2. Miscellaneous

2.3/5 (150 ratings)

About Instacart

Instacart is a grocery delivery service that allows customers to shop one app and get access to multiple stores. Users can submit a grocery order online or through the app and have groceries delivered straight to their door for a one-time or monthly fee.

Pros

• Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options

Cons

• Prices may be higher than in store

Bottom Line

Instacart has changed the way people go grocery shopping. It allows for customization and flexible scheduling options. The membership option helps reduce fees for regular users.

Instacart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Placed an order 4 days in advance selecting a specific day and time a lot as instructed. 30 minutes before the delivery time slot was set to expire they still had not even started the order. Called them and was told that they don’t honor the time slots or orders. If a shopper happens to be available and picks up the order it will be fulfilled, otherwise too bad. Terrible terrible business.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I’ve LOVED using Instacart and recommended it to all of my friends until today. My groceries were guaranteed to be delivered today by 8pm and as the shopper was checking out “an issue occurred” and she abandoned my order- being obligated to wait for the “next available shopper” which wouldn’t deliver the groceries to cook my family dinner until 9:45. I prayed about it and calmed down, patiently waiting- at 9:39 I got an email stating my order was rescheduled until the next day at 1 pm. RIDICULOUS! I had to drive and buy fast food for my family’s dinner. Completely dissatisfied, inconvenienced and confused about why a shopper abandons an order after check out?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I occasionally shop in grocery stores myself but in a pinch I need delivery. The prices are so different online vs in-store. More expensive on the Instacart website and they charge for heavy items like apple & cranberry juice, very discouraging. Is the shopper getting the extra money that's charged for the "heavy item"? Instacart is taking advantage.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

We have food allergies and were looking for our favorite gluten free nuggets. Placed an Instacart order and rep tried to swap them with another brand that's not safe. Replied to her text to return them, that swapping them out for another brand wasn't okay. She confused us with another order at first but then seemed to understand. No product/order ever arrive so thought all was good but now we have a charge on our card that Instacart refuses to refund. They'll offer credit or a free month exclusive account, but won't refund.

After a rep that didn't understand the importance of not swapping a product because of food allergies I have no interest in using Instacart again. The chat rep started to play dumb when we pushed for a refund instead of free services so now we're disputing the charge and warning others with food allergies to be very specific when using Instacart, and hope for a good shopper, or don't use them at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

In long term care health settings, there is Federal regulation for not providing services promised "FALSE DELIVERY OF SERVICE". This company promises quality service but delivers stress, disappointment and a waste of money for the customer. I feel I have been taken advantage of Instacart in the current environment. Experience specifics: Items in stock are reported "Not in stock", delayed delivery resulting in warm meats, molded fruit, expired items, no delivery notification. Going forward, I will not repeat my mistake of using this company.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Be careful when you use Instacart.

1. They replace your items without your consent and charge you more.
2. Don't order anything requires special packaging to stay intact such as ice cream. All ice cream I ordered are melted when they arrive as they don't properly packaging them.

3. Customer service is slow and unhelpful. When you complain, it takes days for them to response. If you follow up with your complaints, they just deactivate your account.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

I'm actually really surprised about my experience with Instacart/Costco. I have used Costco's instacart many times and have not had any problems until today. When I realized they mark up everything. I only know that because the shopper sent a picture of my item, then I noticed the price difference. I did chat with a customer service rep about the price difference. "Diana" says policy producers. "Price difference is for service/delivery fees and technology platform fees." $3 to $4 mark up on 10 items is a big freaking fee. I wouldn't be mad if they were up front about their fees.

I definitely wouldn't use them if it was that much. I guess hiding it is why they do it. But I feel a certain way about this now. I'm sure this isn't new news, but it is to me. And the fact the Costco has partnered up with them knowing this. I'm pretty upset about it. Not Karen upset but upset. Instacart workers definitely work very hard. I've never had a bad experience with any of them. But instacart itself with their hidden fees and their markups is a nope for me. Definitely be aware.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I used this for the first time. My lettuce was brown, the mushrooms rotten when I opened the package the first day I got them...threw many things out. I'll shop myself. The shopper appeared to just throw things in without inspecting.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Soooo this is like my 60th order and it was a horrible experience. It's already weird that Instacart likes to charge $30 extra dollars every order. So my shopper first of all was shopping so slow bc they allowed her to get two batches at once. I waited as patiently as possible and was informed that my time had been pushed back a whole hour and only 3 out of my 12 items had been shopped for. THEN I get a notification stating it's going to be another 45 mins, I am a little more upset at this point but I try to keep my cool bc mind you the whole point of me ordering at 11am is to get my delivery in a timely matter. NOT have to wait all day, THEN I get a message that my order will be a little later bc the shopper is having a issue with the other customers order at the check out line.

MIND YOU the shopper already shopped for my ENTIRE order then they cancel it then they assign my order to a completely different shopper and he has to shop my ENTIRE order again. So he's shopping yet he is refunding literally half of my order that was just successfully shopped for and doing what he wants half assing it. I call support and the most they can say is that they are sorry for the delay and I can schedule the delivery for later. I went OFF bc THAT is unacceptable!!!! I do not recommend bc clearly insta cart hires anyone with a DL, take your service to SHIPT more professional shoppers that actually care

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Instacart is a scam, I ordered groceries from one of the local stores. My receipt from Instacart was $271 and the actual receipt from the store was $221. When I finally contacted customer service, they referred me to the store's pricing rules. I stated, this has nothing to do with the store, because the overage is going to Instacart not the store. I also pointed out, the tax, fees, and tips are based on the high number not the actual price. So I paid an additional $50 to Instacart, about $10 in fees, and about $12 in tip (I don’t mind tipping the shoppers) when they all should have been lower. This is fraud and misrepresentation, and it should be investigated!

Instacart Company Information