2. Miscellaneous

2.3/5 (175 ratings)

About Instacart

Instacart is a grocery delivery service that allows customers to shop one app and get access to multiple stores. Users can submit a grocery order online or through the app and have groceries delivered straight to their door for a one-time or monthly fee.

Pros

• Order from many stores on one order
  • Direct contact with personal shopper
  • Flexible delivery options

Cons

• Prices may be higher than in store

Bottom Line

Instacart has changed the way people go grocery shopping. It allows for customization and flexible scheduling options. The membership option helps reduce fees for regular users.

Instacart Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Instacart?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I have used Instacart every week since the pandemic started. It was a necessary tool to avoid in person shopping and am grateful to have these tools available.

However, at least 30% of the time there's a problem with Instacart. The Shopper takes the wrong item, forgets to bring things, makes a last-minute substitution and then checks out before I can approve it, etc. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with customer service resolving problems with my orders. There is definitely a mismanagement issue, shoppers are not trained, shoppers want to fill as many orders as possible to increase their daily wage at the expense of doing a good job, and inadequate training of the shoppers resulting in issues for the customer. Instacart charges too much money for items to justify the time spent by the customer to fix issues. I'm moving over to Whole Foods, just can't take this anymore. Instacart needs to get their act together.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I used this service before. Was happy with it until my last delivery. I was ripped off. Customer service did not want to help. Called Publix's Corporate Office. spoke to dead ears. I ordered extra item because they were BOGO. Never received my BOGO items. I also ordered Boars Head Deluxe Ham sliced very thin layer of 3 slices then papers in between, and 2 1/2 lbs packages of Boars head cheese. Well the ham was all stuck together no papers in between, cheese all stuck to together the same. They ripped me off on you BOGO items. I cannot write my review on their FB newsfeed because they blocked me. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS SERVICE.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I will NEVER use this greedy company again. AWFUL!! First of all, they have more fees than any other delivery service out there. I ordered about $315 worth of groceries, and in the end, my total was $385!!!! Service Fees, Heavy Lifting Fees...etc. Insane. THEN to top it off....not only did they charge my card the $385, they then charge a SEPARATE fee for $425. Overdrew my account and bounced my rent check.

I called them to dispute it. They tell me that they add...and I quote..."A COUPLE dollars" to your order until the order is finalized and put a hold on your card. The woman then tells me that it's "supposed" to release this crap hold, and charge the real amount, but "Sometimes they overlap and charge BOTH amounts at the same time. You'll receive a refund in 3-5 days". Um...what! I told her that I was overdrawn and I just get an "I'm sorry ma'am. You'll get a refund in a few days" So basically, for my $315 grocery order, I have to pay an extra $500 and just wait for the money to be refunded. How is this even legal???? I am repulsed

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I placed an order for Gluten Free oven ready lasagna with the specific instructions NOT to substitute another product (due to allergies). What was delivered was whole grain product-loaded with gluten and unusable. I contacted the company about the over $20.00 purchase, requesting that they return to pick up the incorrect product and refund my money. I was told they would give me a credit of $14. on a future order! I told the company I wanted a FULL credit back on my credit card and to pick up the product as we cannot use it - no response. If I could give them zero stars I would. What a scam!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Lots of items I was charged for were missing. Some items were damaged and others priced higher than when purchased online. They were late and ice cream was melted and perishables questionable. The worst was customer service- no apologies, no effort to get items missing delivered. I got hung up on. Finally got a call from a supervisor hours later. Only solution offered was a refund for items missing in 5-10 days. Amazon would have tried to make it right and resend the items. Second time I use them. First was better but far from right. I canceled my membership. They wasted my day. Over six hours of my day went to this below par operation.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Placed an order 4 days in advance selecting a specific day and time a lot as instructed. 30 minutes before the delivery time slot was set to expire they still had not even started the order. Called them and was told that they don’t honor the time slots or orders. If a shopper happens to be available and picks up the order it will be fulfilled, otherwise too bad. Terrible terrible business.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I’ve LOVED using Instacart and recommended it to all of my friends until today. My groceries were guaranteed to be delivered today by 8pm and as the shopper was checking out “an issue occurred” and she abandoned my order- being obligated to wait for the “next available shopper” which wouldn’t deliver the groceries to cook my family dinner until 9:45. I prayed about it and calmed down, patiently waiting- at 9:39 I got an email stating my order was rescheduled until the next day at 1 pm. RIDICULOUS! I had to drive and buy fast food for my family’s dinner. Completely dissatisfied, inconvenienced and confused about why a shopper abandons an order after check out?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I occasionally shop in grocery stores myself but in a pinch I need delivery. The prices are so different online vs in-store. More expensive on the Instacart website and they charge for heavy items like apple & cranberry juice, very discouraging. Is the shopper getting the extra money that's charged for the "heavy item"? Instacart is taking advantage.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

We have food allergies and were looking for our favorite gluten free nuggets. Placed an Instacart order and rep tried to swap them with another brand that's not safe. Replied to her text to return them, that swapping them out for another brand wasn't okay. She confused us with another order at first but then seemed to understand. No product/order ever arrive so thought all was good but now we have a charge on our card that Instacart refuses to refund. They'll offer credit or a free month exclusive account, but won't refund.

After a rep that didn't understand the importance of not swapping a product because of food allergies I have no interest in using Instacart again. The chat rep started to play dumb when we pushed for a refund instead of free services so now we're disputing the charge and warning others with food allergies to be very specific when using Instacart, and hope for a good shopper, or don't use them at all.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

In long term care health settings, there is Federal regulation for not providing services promised "FALSE DELIVERY OF SERVICE". This company promises quality service but delivers stress, disappointment and a waste of money for the customer. I feel I have been taken advantage of Instacart in the current environment. Experience specifics: Items in stock are reported "Not in stock", delayed delivery resulting in warm meats, molded fruit, expired items, no delivery notification. Going forward, I will not repeat my mistake of using this company.

Instacart Company Information