Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Wells Fargo Advisors Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Called to pay my daughter's student loan like I do EVERY MONTH and EVERY MONTH they give me a hard time!!! I'M GIVING YOU MONEY!!! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO HARD EVERY SINGLE MONTH?!!! First of all the phone number in the student loan payment paperwork is 1-800-459-8451. Every. Single. Time I call I get told... "This isn't the student loan number!" Today, 1/13/2020. I called at approximately 1:25, waited on hold almost 10 minutes only to get this rude lady keep telling me it's the wrong number. She didnt want to transfer me, just wanted to keep telling me it's the wrong number. FINALLY I got upset and told her to just transfer me to them and she hung up on me!!!! I guess they don't want my money!! This place NEVER knows what they are doing!!!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

My experience with Wells Fargo Trumbull, CT Branch was very unfortunate and disappointing. I walked in the Trumbull branch confidently expecting to do business. I was greeted by a Loan advisor. His name is Crucito **. He was very helpful during the loan process. However, it took several days for a e-mail response. I was first sent a conditional approval email response. They needed more documentation which I immediately provided.

Let it be known that I have an A+ credit rating (credit score 813). I've never been late on any payment history, I work very hard to keep my credit in excellent standard, I myself is a business woman, a Manager for a big company for almost 20 years. I have a mortgage for 15 years in which I pay faithfully. I'm a very responsible person. I was never denied for any business. Until now by Wells Fargo Trumbull Ct, branch after being approved initially. This will be my first and last time I will ever go visit any of your Wells Fargo branches.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2019

I have been trying to make a trade for one week and my account has been restricted so I have been unable to make any trades. The brokerage customer service cannot even tell me why and that is probably some kind formation brokerage doesn’t have. The agent went through numerous questions to fill out some form. So all these questions and she doesn’t even know what brokerage is missing and can not communicate with them! She said it may take a week or two or she has seen it take a month or two. Ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I took a loan on my 401k. When I called to establish and loan, their rep informed me I could leave the company and take my 401k with me and still make payments. I signed up and all was well. I then left the company a few months later and called to set up my payments to continue my payments and they informed me per the guidelines I have at it back in full or take it as income. I escalated and they did confirm their rep did inform me I could take my loan way from the company but there is nothing they could do.

I escalated above that and the manager Travis ** is the most ignorant person I have ever met. He informed me there is nothing I could do and informed me I need after confirming error of emission that they made a mistake that there is nothing they can do. I advised them they made the mistake and need to make it right. They have turned the eye and have done nothing and will not do anything. I have made a BBB complaint and have seemed legal matter but it could cost me more than taxes would be worth. This retirement services is the most disrespectful group I have ever worked with. I have managers hanging up on me and have asked to speak to Travis ** manager and he refuses to send me to them and then closes my complaint. I hope this blows up on them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I am a customer for many years and tried to open up an IRA account for my son, who is a minor. After filling out the first application page online, I was directed to call WF at 1-866-460-8462 to continue opening up a brokerage account for a minor. The line was answered quickly on a recorded line and I was informed by the representative that WF does not offer IRA accounts for minors. Because I wanted to understand if I could open up this type of account at a different bank, I attempted to clarify if there is a legal prohibition to open up an IRA account for minors or if WF had just an internal policy to not offer IRA accounts to minors.

Because my question was not answered and I simply received the same information "We don't offer IRA accounts for minors", I repeated and explained my question again. The representative seemed frustrated that I would not accept the "cookie cutter" answer. He rhetorically asked the question "I don't know what you're not understanding about my answer" and before I could respond, the representative wished my a good day and hung up on me.

I found this service rude, unprofessional and unacceptable. I understand and accept if the representative does not know the answer to my question, but this can be communicated professionally. Since I had a generic question I was not asked for my client account information and hence no record was linked to me as an existing customer. I am not sure if this "anonymous" interaction encouraged the representative to be less courteous and I wonder if any knowledge of my existing relationship as client would have lead to better service. It is noteworthy that the conversation happened on a recorded line. This experience is certainly not what I would expect from this big bank and I hope not to encounter such treatment again going forward. There are too many banks vying for my business and moving my accounts is not as cumbersome anymore as it once was. WF Advisors needs to recognize this and train their customer service reps accordingly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wells Fargo Advisors?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

How this bank gets away with what it does is simply amazing in today's times. Largest yes, but worst by far. And the financial advisors as they call themselves, arrogant, self absorbed and pathological liars. I am sure they wine and dine you to sign up for their products, and invest, probably nothing short of caviar and champagne, but try to cash out an inherited IRA, and the nightmare for the consumer begins. No two people in the Oakhurst NJ office tell you the same thing, and at times outright lye to you when it is the quickest way to get you off the phone. Some even have a very condescending attitude, and don't seem to care about that either. Remember they are better than you, and doing you a favor when they do call you back. You are likely interrupting lunch plans, a latte run, or a golf date.

Wells Fargo's reputation speaks for itself, and I guess all the fines and lawsuits have taught them nothing. They continue to treat people like idiots, talk down to them, and do whatever they can to stall you in getting your money. Conveniently forget documents that need to be signed, and just make the process as painful as possible, even when you are dealing with grief. But only benefits them, since they get to keep the funds longer and reap the benefits from that. And I am certain, at least 15 people have to look at it, touch it, let it lay on their out bin for a day, before it finally gets to the last cubicle and can be processed.

This process of cashing out started on August 12th, and it is now September 20th and still dragging on. And the regional manager said 'this is going quickly, as in some cases it could take as long as 6 months.' Yeah, right, sell that story to someone who is interested in buying a piece of the Brooklyn Bridge. Invest with anyone but these lying con artists….

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My mother while traveling in Canada suffered a massive stroke, was removed from life support and passed away. As you can imagine this has been a very difficult time for my family. My father who is 80 years old not only lost his wife of 57 years, he has also been badly treated by Wells Fargo Advisors. He and mom had a joint account with survivorship. Upon informing them that mom passed away they immediately closed/ froze his account. He has not had access to his account since August 6, 2019.

Wells Fargo of course requested a death certificate. The one he received from Canada along with a notarized letter was presented to the bank. This same death certificate was provided and accepted by two other banks, the funeral home, Mom's two pension plans and her life insurance company. Wells Fargo would not accept this death certificate and requested a Apostille, which I had to inform them after calling the Canadian Embassy that Canada doesn't offer. They should not have requested something that Canada does not offer and therefore we could not provide.

After speaking with the Canadian office of Vital Statistics, where I might add death certificates are provided from any country, and speaking with Wells Fargo we ordered at the expense of $200 the authentication/authorization certificate that the bank requested. Five days after that was faxed/ scanned in I received an email from the advisors to disregard what they had requested and we now needed to provide a certificate from the Canadian consumer Foreign Affairs. Meanwhile my father still does not has access to his money. Wells Fargo Advisors have acted in a reprehensible, immoral and what should be considered illegal way. It is no wonder they are always getting bad reviews in the news. To treat a 80 year old grieving man like this is beyond the imagination. Shame on Wells Fargo.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

Took over three weeks to get set up and I traded. Then they came back and rejected the trust certification firm after the fact. I can’t trade right now. Commissions are very high. Web access is very poor. They never call back or help correct or fill forms like Fidelity. I use Fidelity and they are terrific. And cheaper.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I opened up an account through a link on hustlermoneyblog.com on 3/22/2019, which was approved by Wells Fargo Legal Department. I read the term and conditions several times in detail. There was a link on the website that links directly to the offer. The Wells Fargo Legal Department approved the hustlermoneyblog.com writing for the offer. I also simultaneously called the Wells Fargo Customer Service several times and spoke to several representatives, and I explained what the terms and conditions were on that page. After filling in the application via the link approved by Wells Fargo Legal department, I waited four months until I well exceeded the requirement approved by Wells Fargo Legal Department and that were detailed on hustlermoneyblog.com.

When I inquired about the bonus, the representatives said that I did not meet the promotion requirements. They said they were not responsible for third party websites. Unfortunately, this is a business partner and everything on that page has to be approved by Wells Fargo Legal. If I picked a different offer, I would have received the bonus. This is not a mistake. Wells Fargo Legal Department approved a bait and switch scheme. I let them borrow my money and individuals are premeditatively committing criminal acts.

On a separate note, when I opened up the account, I waited for the material in the mail. I never received the material. Shortly after realizing there was mistake, I receive a telephone call from my former spouse, who stated that she had my Wells Fargo Material. I called the bank and let them know. Remember, I have had two separate accounts with Wells Fargo previously at the same address that I am at now. Subsequently, I received a post card which stated that the reason we sent your new banking account to that address was to make sure that you did not live there. This is what they sent. Are you amazed? I was taken back, yet there was only one remaining issue. I never lived at this address.

Wells Fargo's Board is engaged in systematic pilfering of our tax dollars, and when we loan them money they intentionally fabricate the terms and conditions in order to trap us into accounts. In my educated opinion, the issue of the postcard exemplifies how Wells Fargo has taken the unprecedented step of quietly announcing themselves as a criminal organization. Lastly, in my opinion, this is a precise example how fines are calculated in each scheme that certain individuals that work at Wells Fargo are premeditatedly committing fraud. In my opinion, the amount of incidents that Wells Fargo has opened accounts under false premises translates into a massive racketeering scheme with the motive of paying off government, in order, to gain profit for their own well-being.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I am taking care of my 95 year old father who has Alzheimer's and cannot take care of his own affairs. I have been taking money out of his account since 2017 to pay his caregivers for round-the-clock care. We recently moved and bought a house for us to all live together. That was the beginning of our problems. We paid for the house with my father's money that was invested in Wells Fargo. We almost did not get the house because it had to be approved by about 10 different departments and the wire transfer didn't even get looked at by anyone in Wells Fargo until 4:00 pm the day before closing. I had given the wiring instructions to the broker about a week before the closing date. After several stressful hours fortunately it went through.

In buying the house it was recommended that we take out a loan against the stock portfolio so that we did not have to sell a lot of stocks that still had growth potential. They gave me a new checkbook to use to pay for my father's expenses. This lasted for about a month. Suddenly without much warning Wells Fargo made me fill out more paperwork regarding my validation as power of attorney. I gave that to Wells Fargo. Then it had to go through the 10 or so departments for approval. They did not approve. They needed a doctor's note stating that he was not able to take care of things. I got the letter, gave it to Wells Fargo, it went through the 10 departments. They did not approve. The doctor's letter had to be on letterhead and had to say he could not handle his financial affairs; the letter said he could not sign his name.

While this was going on, Wells Fargo sent me a letter saying I did not have power of attorney. My "personal information is incomplete". I had filled out all paperwork requested. Then I found out that some of it was never sent to me. There were emails with attachments that were not attached. I filled out those forms and resubmitted them a week ago. I got a new doctor letter and resubmitted that but the doctor does not have letterhead so I am afraid someone in those 10 departments will reject it. In the meantime, I cannot access his money so I am having to use my own to pay the caregivers. I have now used all of mine and cannot pay not only my father's care but also my own bills. Wells Fargo is ruining my credit.

I am starting to get phone calls from credit card companies. I have to take money out of my 401K and pay an early withdrawal penalty but that will have to go primarily to caregivers so that I can work and make a little money. My daughter had to take a semester off of college because we didn't have the money to pay her tuition. I tried to communicate all of this to Wells Fargo with not much sympathy and no help to at least get some money to live on.

I hired an attorney who called Wells Fargo but all they said was they needed the doctor letter. He explained that we had one that is legally binding and they said "it's not a legal issue". It was company policy. Someone at Wells Fargo had declared my father incompetent and now they need verification of his incompetence and more paperwork verifying that I have valid power of attorney again. He explained that my legal power of attorney that was filed with the county had nothing that said he had to be incompetent. It was made to have broader powers.

So if company policy is illegal, it IS a legal issue. But they won't listen. They don't care. He advised that we give them what they want but that still has to go through the 10 departments and who knows if it will get approved. I guess I could say Wells Fargo is ruining my family and me and our reputations. We currently have enough money for two weeks worth of food and plenty of money in Wells Fargo. It's a shame because my dad had done business with the broker for decades and I wanted to keep doing business with him but after all of these shenanigans I will never do business with Wells Fargo Advisors again.

Not sure about Wells Fargo Advisors?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Wells Fargo Advisors expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Wells Fargo Advisors handles $1.4 trillion in client assets and is one of the country's leading financial services firms. The Wells Fargo Advisors serve their clientele in person, over-the-phone or online. The company brings Wall Street vision and Main Street values to their client relationships.

• Services: Wells Fargo Advisors serve their clientele with insurance, investing, banking and general money solutions. Their interrelationship with other Wells Fargo and Company financial departments incorporates an expansive array of money solutions for their clients.

• Products: Their financial products include a wide range of investments, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, exchange traded funds, futures, commodities, certificates of deposit and more. The firm provides a suite of insurance products including life, disability, long term care and annuities. Wells Fargo Advisors also offers credit and lending products, along with business services and Advisory Services for wealth management.

• Investment philosophy: The Wells Fargo mission is to help clients succeed financially. The company provides advice and guidance to help maximize all elements of the consumer’s financial life, whenever and however it is needed.

• Educational and client resources: The Wells Fargo Advisors “Our Insights” portal offers strategy and research information including market commentary, investment insights, special reports and more from their panel of experts.

• Best for: Wells Fargo Advisors serve consumers looking for a one-stop shop for all financial management needs, from banking to lending.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor