TD Bank

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

When TD was new to NY they would bend over backwards to prove how different they were to other banks (free pens, very late hours, dog biscuits), now that they are established and no longer need to kiss anyone's butt, they are showing their true colors. I simply wanted to update my phone number as the old one is no longer valid and that locks you out of your online account. She said my phone number could not be verified and as such she would not update my account. I would rather keep all my money under the mattress - they don't deserve my business.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

IGNORE ALL OF THE WALLETHUB Reviews and all of the fake 5 star reviews. Those are paid reviews. I promise you, these companies will try to drown out real reviewers for an extra fool, I mean customer! Worst credit I have ever had in my life! They deliberately try their very best to ruin your credit so they can get late fees and other fees out you, they do not care about the well-being of anyone who is foolish enough to enroll with their credit lines, (Sadly I fell for it trying to get a Samsung phone) I should I have paid it off and not have to deal with them!

I have called these people, emailed these people, sent messages through their portal, chatted and all but one has lied to get me off the phone or close my disputes out with no resolution. They will take your payment, list it as Posted and wait days or weeks before actually removing the funds, I even notice they send small transactions to my account as if they are testing it to see if it will decline so they can try and push the payment through. They use to be a pretty good bank, not sure what has changed but they have shifted to very sneaky, deceitful methods that put people's credit in jeopardy so they can flip a profit and try and compete I guess.

What they don't know is I'm getting a Law team together to sue them down to brick crumbs! Stay clear of them. They might have to use your funds to pay me when this is done! I've warned them over and over most of last year and they have not changed, kept lying to me, saying they will take care of it and NOTHING has been done!

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

I have never missed a payment and noticed that I had a late fee. Set it aside to call before my next payment and since it took me one week too long to call, they had already charged me a second late fee. I never made a late payment!!!! I paid one payment 2 days before the new statement date and they counted it on the previous statement so they showed I missed a payment. Even after figuring out the issue, they could only “forgive one late fee per year.” I could accept that if there was EVER A LATE STATEMENT but there was not, just a company looking to rip off customers who pay their bills and are dependable…Never again will I use this card or company!!!!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

Please note there are really only a handful of TD bank offices in the entire USA, and almost all are within walking distance of one another in Manhattan. I lost my cellphone number. Due to two-party authentication, they refused to help me, and locked my account. They tell me I must travel from Chicago to NYC to show a teller my driver's license. Now that's chutzpah.

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2022

TD reached out to me and I believe we will work together to find a resolution. Funds were released and I should be “home” soon.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

I made a TD wire transfer to my notary’s Desjardins bank account to buy a condo in Gatineau. I was told it would take 24 hours. I made the transfer on November 18th. It is now November 23rd. The wire transfer is still “pending” at TD. I am homeless and living and working from a hotel. The vehicle holding all my things is a rental and in the parking lot of the hotel. This situation is causing a great deal of anxiety and concern on my part. I have emailed many people at TD, including their legal counsel, hoping someone will help me get the wire transferred asap. It is not simply myself suffering - the seller of the condo is waiting to be paid. A caution to anyone making a large wire transfer, it does not take 24 hours, unless I am the exception to the TD rule.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

I paid off the loan with TD Bank eight years ago. They never satisfied it from my title because of their mistake. For close to a month I’ve been trying to get proof for the title company that is paid and they’re being nothing but rude and unhelpful. I lost my buyer today because of them. Never do business with them because they do not care at all about their customers.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

Despite signing up for online notifications, I received no notices that my bank accounts had dropped below the minimum required, leading me to be charge $40 maintenance fees for months. Then when I tried to get money into the accounts, there were delays due to their system. But I was told that even though I was trying to get money into THEIR bank, I would still be charged the fees. So instead of working with me and at least waiving one month of fees, I had to shut one account down and am in the middle of shutting the last one down. They are a bunch of criminals and forget about customer service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Hello TD Bank, I used TD's services with a Rooms To Go account to purchase furniture. I made ALL my payments on time using autopay. In June 2021, my account was PAID IN FULL (see attached statement). A few months later I got an email about my account being delinquent. Again, this is for an account that was PAID IN FULL. Apparently, this shameful and disgraceful financial institution tried to charge a $1 to my account AFTER I switched banks (bank used for autopay was no longer there). Since your company could not get that $1.00 (illegal charge btw) they started slapping NFS, LATE, ETC. fees.

In April 2022 (almost a year after they started this scam) I called, spent HOURS on the phone, filled fraud forms (TD = fraud perpetrator) and was told the account will be closed with a $0 balance and their apologies (all documented in emails and recorded conversations). Fast forward to yesterday, 11/03/2022 - I get an alert TD Bank has added a collection account under my name. I login and SURPRISE - TD slime ball INC did NOT close the account with a $0 balance; instead you piled more ILLEGAL fees and reported this as collections.

What WellsFargo did back in the day is child's play compared to the racketeering and extortion operation TD runs. I called and spend several hours on the phone again (documented names, agent IDs and conversations) just to be told "this all snowballed because you did not catch that $1 charge in June of 2021". I do plan on making sure TD makes the front pages of all major newspapers, social media and got flooded with complaints, lawsuits and end up selling all assets for pennies in a fire sale following bankruptcy. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, was courteous, patient and polite, but enough is enough. Every single agent I spoke to was either dumb, condescending, cretinous, or a combination of all. No one had tried to correct a mistake TD BANK made 100% - which will end up costing more than they you can pay.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

This company is absolutely the worst I have ever dealt with in my 44yrs on earth. I purchased a phone through them "Samsung All Goods". I was never sent any payment info and was not sure if it was billed directly through my phone bill. My notification came when I noticed a hit on my credit report and through Credit Karma I tracked down TD Bank as the company. That 1 was my fault. Then I set up auto pay and it failed to process another payment. Frustrated with the company I called in and asked what the entire balance was and was told an incorrect number leaving a balance of $130 on the account. They never call and go directly to pinging your credit report so I was hit again.

I again called them asking what was left on the account to zero it out. AGAIN I was given an incorrect balance of $22. I paid the $22 and AGAIN was hit on my credit report. Calling once again, extremely angry, I asked what the remaining balance was and was given YET ANOTHER incorrect balance but this time I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor finally gave me the balance and the account was/is and always will be closed from here out. This company is a hassle to hit you with late fees. Before them I had a 100% payment rating which dropped to a 97% after dealing with this 1 company. If this review saves 1 person from the headache it was worth my 15min.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I had a devastating experience with TD and the customer support just throw me to the wolves like a discarded piece of garbage. And that is under the 'most convenient Bank' cover. I missed a 10$ late payment on a TD Credit card that I don't use normally and that was reported to the Credit Bureau and had a 100 points credit score drop. I paid the full balance the day after I found from Credit Bureau about the problem and called TD to ask for help thinking they could do something about it. All they told me was that I was trying to falsify my records by asking for help. When I told them they should warn their overdue clients somehow since they have all phone numbers and email information, I was told that is not TD's business. I guess their business is to screw their customers so they can charge higher interest. Having to go through such experience was traumatic. My only defense is to change the bank and never go back.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Ashley Eneriz

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Ashley Eneriz Staff Writer

Ashley Eneriz has been a staff writer with ConsumerAffairs since 2022. She has been a personal finance writer for over a decade specializing in mortgages, loans, credit cards and budgeting. She has worked for top financial institutions, including Discover, The Hartford, ScotiaBank, Chime, Synchrony and more. Her work has been featured on Forbes, MSN, Yahoo, Reader’s Digest and Time.

TD Bank Company Information