3.52/5

TD Bank

843 TD Bank and TD Banknorth Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. 800 Customer service is rude and inexperienced and wait times are typically in excess of 15-20 minutes. TD Bank also charges excessive fees for EVERYTHING. Other banks have fees (lower than TD Bank's) but with easy ways to avoid them - NOT TD bank. You can do much better elsewhere. Online account management is one of the most cumbersome interfaces imaginable, and every time I sign on now I am prompted for my fingerprint, even though I have said NO probably 1,000 times. I'm done with this bank.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I am paying down a mortgage that I have with TD BANK. Each month I call in the extra payment that I transfer from my checking account to the mortgage loan. On a regular basis, this bank doesn't not follow through accurately with my request. Instead of paying the entire amount to principal, "they" split the payment between principal and interest. It takes numerous phone calls to Customer Service to straighten out the situation. Even then, I need to follow up by going into a branch and requesting that a Customer Service representative contact the "mortgage department to rectify the problem." The process is burdensome and requires too much time for a simple transaction! TD Bank is not set up to handle these type of transactions! As soon as I pay off my mortgage, I will close my accounts!!

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I had placed a stop payment on a payment over 2 weeks ago. I was concerned when I had called to get it processed. Rep stated she processed it and will not go through. Even confirmed the name and amount with me. Here it is today 7/18 the payment I placed a stop payment on had gone through. I called the bank and rep I spoke to stated the rep had processed it incorrectly on her end with the name of the company. He apologizes for her mistake and stated his supervisor will not refund me the 459.00 they took out on their huge error.

They processed the stop payment again since this is a recurring debit I placed it on and waived the fee. So now my account is at a negative 459.00 dollars on their behalf. Incredible they don’t correct their mistake and they admitted it was their fault. What kind of financial institution is this? I’ve been with them for over 10 years and the reviews on their customer service skills and resolution is on point. They are the worse. I’m sure they wouldn’t like it to happen to them. I have bills and expenses like they do and now I’m paying for it because of them.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I have transferred my credit card balance from another American Express to TD. It said 3% transfer fee for a whole year 0 interest rate. This is completely a lie. If you still using the TD credit card at the same time, when you pay your purchase every month. The money won’t go to pay the purchase you make, instead, you pay the whole amount of money including the balance transfer. I wonder why I pay my purchase every month and I still have to pay interest all time. I called, what they said if I still use the credit card, when I pay my purchase, the money won’t only pay the money I spend. It has to pay the balance transfer money as well. And if I need to stop the interest, I have to pay whole amount including the balance transfer. But in the ads, they said "0 interest" for a year. Now they ask me to pay the money back to stop the interest after I paid 3% transfer fee. It’s totally a lie!!! No more TD for my life. Goodbye to the business.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Someone order a Capital One credit card under my account but not in my name. My balance is now -1000. I called they said they close the account. To go to a department store and get a new account. I did, I then ask them, "Okay since I got paid today are you guys going return my money?" They said, "Your case is pending. We need to wait for it to be resolve for." Why do you guys do this, why do you guys acting like people don’t have bills to pay, rent, go to work or eat. What you expect me to do now, how will I work, how will I pay my bill? This is share **. I believe stuff like this should be their number one priority and instead of 10 days it should be more faster. “What you don’t like for yourself don’t do to other.”

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: July 11, 2019

I have been with TD Bank for over 10 years, started when they were Bank. One thing that is consistent is the customer service reps when you call the 800 lines are really not nice. This is not just one person but the people they have working in customer service are not nice and miserable. I never have a problem with the branch staff and they are always friendly. Because of this consistent poor customer service, I really have made the choice to go to another bank. It is a Legendary service alright. Legendary for its cranky miserable customer service staff. Try to genuinely execute exemplary customer service skills rather than sound like you are annoyed that someone called you.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Going on a year of "file a police report and we'll refund your STOLEN $$." (They caught the INITIAL fraud charge in a city I haven't been to in 15 yrs (last year) of $100(+-). Upon reviewing transaction history I find ANOTHER $400 worth of fraud (just off interstate of other cities I've NEVER BEEN IN in my 50 yrs in FL.) Then receive their determination (after police report is filed) "we've determined the fraud did not occur." (After they caught the initial fraud and made my Debit card inoperable as I attempted use of which how (I) Discovered I was defrauded. Way to go TD. You're the "most (INCONVENIENT) bank".

Original review: July 2, 2019

This insurance co does biz in Canada, I do not know if they also insure in the US but premiums are very good if you have a good driving record and good credit history. I have been insuring with them for 11 years and premiums have stayed reasonable. Claims are a bit slow to be processed. Otherwise great service.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I couldn't login to online banking because my phone number changed, and when I called customer support they couldn't do anything about it, and were extremely unhelpful. Apparently it's a common issue because the guy on the other end knew what the problem was before I stated it.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I just received a letter stating that they no longer wish to provide their services. They closed my business and private accounts plus 3 credit cards. No explanation just a phone number to call my account specialist. I called and he said they don't have any info and they don't have to give it to me. I was with this bank for 15 years. Have great credit rating yet l was treated like a criminal. This put my business in big jeopardy as the line of credit we had was very important for every day business. I cannot believe they treat customers like that. This is terrible. I took my business somewhere else. Never again will l deal with them. Be warned!

Original review: June 27, 2019

Why Bank with a Canadian Bank with minimal branches and high monthly fees in the USA when you can bank with Bank of America, 5th/Third, Chase or many other US banks without all of the BS Fees TD Charges and branches at every street corner? I purchase a company in PA recently that banked with TD and had a branch in the local town. In August, I decided to switch to Bank of America. We had 3 accounts with TD. I advised them in writing via their web portal on at least five occasions to close the accounts.

They closed 2 of the three and advised that the previous President would need to come in person to the branch and close the account! Absurd, ridiculous, idiotic, inefficient and lame. So I need to contact the previous President/Owner and ask him to visit LAME TD BANK and close an account? Needless to say, he was not able to visit a branch where he lived BECAUSE TD had zero branches within 30 miles of his residence. I wrote corporate TD a letter requesting to close the account. No answer.

This Canadian Bank is one of the lamest financial institutions I have ever done business with! They continued running the account for months with their high $30 monthly fee even though there was a $0 dollar balance and threatened the previous owner with Credit Reporting tactics, which would affect his credit score, unless he paid the fees and came in to close the account.

Finally, after four month, we were forced to pay the fees and the previous owner drove 30 miles to close the account in person. Since they decided to nickel and dime me for $120 dollars, I am going to TD Ameritrade today to transfer $250k from my 20 year old account with TD to E-Trade. By the way, do you think they made out on this account for 20 years at zero interest? It cost them much more! This review here and on other sites will save US Citizens from the hassle of dealing with TD Bank. In SUMMARY, GO WITH THE US BANKS AND FORGET THE CANOOKS!

Original review: June 22, 2019

I don't understand how a customer service department could be run as poorly as TD bank does its telephone customer service. The bank really needs to hire some management folks who know what they are doing. Today's wait time is 20 minutes, and it's been like that pretty much every time I've tried to reach them.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I've been with TD before, when they were Commerce Bank. I was in the hospital for an extended period of time. I purchased a gift through Google for my daughter's birthday. It was never delivered. After asking my daughter several times if she received a delivery she said no each time. This was early 10/18. Being hospitalized I couldn't make calls for many reasons. I called TD customer service. I explained the circumstances and he never suggested to open an investigation. Meanwhile throughout this period of time I've spoken to many many customer service representatives and I've put together many pieces to the puzzle in how unscrupulous TD Bank does not help their customers!

One investigator said he called me three times when in fact on my call log I received one call, but through finding out the representatives asked me about personal information and to verify if it's correct, I have made approximately 10-12 calls concerning this topic but each time the change in personal information never happened, REALLY!!! I kept being told I never called in under 60 days of my dispute plus if I was hospitalized I needed to show proof, again another REALLY!!! Hospitals are questionable in wanting to put any kind of information on record because of HIPAA violations, the hospital reluctantly sent me a just "dates" I was hospitalized.

Again, through one of the many representatives I spoke to over 6 months he told me there is a lot of calls pertaining to each account in the time we were talking. He said, "Yes I see you called on 11/18/18!" The each time I called after being told by correspondents that my issue of fraud needed to be rectified by me and the merchant, okay? But when I asked for the merchants address and phone number they couldn't provide it. I said each time, "You pay a merchant $457.66 and you have no contact information?" The answer was you must have some kind of confirmation I purchased this, I, "Yes look at my statement. It was purchased on 10/06/18." I scoured my email again, I've already done this a time or two before, to no avail!!!

The biggest problem with TD is they don't follow their own rules and standards, plus I contacted the NJ Banking and Insurance Commission. They told me I need to contact the the Office of Comptroller and Currency because they're not a US bank, which means they are not held to the same standards as a US bank. The office of OCC did nothing but turn it over to The Consumer Affairs Department which only prompted a letter from TD Bank stating again I needed to resolve this with the merchant, which I guess the bank is just DUMB they release money and don't know who it's going to???

All the while, each letter I've received said I needed to resolve this with the merchant and the name they gave was a bunch of letters put smushed together forming no coherent name of a store or individual. UNTIL the latest letter I received, it said Ted's Electronics / Google never did any letter state this so clearly! TD Bank fraud department sucks and should all be fired...! Oh by the way, being a customer of TD, this has terminated our relationship! I'M FINDING A NEW BANK!! CLOSE UP SHOP AND GO BACK TO NORTH OF THE BORDER AND SCREW THE CANADIANS!!!!

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have been a TD Bank customer for over 15 years. It was called Commerce Bank when I signed on with them to give you some perspective. I am a loyal customer and have been in good standing with the bank for as long as I can remember. Recently, I have been having an issue with their overdraft fees because ONE charge clears in my account IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ABOUT 2 HRS PRIOR TO MY DIRECT DEPOSIT. This happened 2 weeks ago and they reversed it, since like I said, I am a good customer. So, today is Tuesday and I notice there is now an overdraft fee that is cleared in my acct from yesterday. Now mind you, I am not wealthy so I do need to check my acct on a regular basis just to make sure everything is in order. With that said, I checked my acct yesterday and there was no charge for an overdraft fee, pending or otherwise.

So I call them up, and the first gentleman was nice. He told me the overdraft was for a charge that happened on FRIDAY an hr or two before my check when through. I asked him to refund it, but said he couldn't refund the charge. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor's name was Olivia. She talked over me to the point I had to yell and say, "excuse me I'm still speaking." She was no help at all because she said I had already had a reversal and I'm only allowed ONE REVERSAL PER YEAR! This in itself is ridiculous considering the longevity I have with the company. Nevermind the fact that an overdraft fee charge just shows up on your account on Tuesday, from a charge on Friday, WHEN YOU STILL HAVE POSITIVE MONEY IN THE ACCT!

I can completely understand if i was truly overdrafted and negative, but I literally have money in my bank account! How can you charge someone an overdraft charge for something that happened overnight and a few hours apart, still in the middle of the night, that you get money deposited? I'm so tired of TDs RIDICULOUS overdraft policy and fees!! And the customer service for someone with my loyalty was horrendous, OLIVIA DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO RECTIFY THE SITUATION, I AM DISGUSTED!

Original review: June 11, 2019

I rely on bill pay from my bank as it is the only way I can keep track of everything in one place. I called TD Bank last week to let them know, and they said I would have to go to the local TD Bank and let them know the issue. I called TD Bank, and they said, "we have nothing to do with Bill pay, that is an outside company." I then called tech support, and they said it would be fixed within the hour. I called them again on Monday, and they said, they were still having issues. Today still not fixed. This is very concerning, as how do I know they have paid the bills I already scheduled.

Original review: June 11, 2019

The level of incompetence shown by this institution’s employees is incredible. TD BANK will not get any more of my hard-earned dollars. I will take my money elsewhere, TD cannot be trusted. Closing my account.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I call to get the 0% on the NordicTrack. I was buying it on NordicTrack website. They had my SS number, my address and I told them I was at my sister house and they want to send code to my home number but refused to send to my cell. I told I would call them tomorrow and my credit score drop 12 points when I woke because they denied me with 802 credit score. I just put it on my Citi Costco card. I'll never do business with TD Bank.

Original review: May 30, 2019

As an old TD customer, I want to share with you my last bad experience with a TD branch. There is a TD branch at Bayview and ** Plaza in North York, Ontario. There is an employee at this branch which seems to be the branch manager but her banking knowledge is less than a teller, even less than her customers. The employee name is "Jesica".

This morning, I went to the branch and wanted to deposit a governmental cheque to my wife's account which is a joint account with me, after about 20 minutes wasting my time, firstly she said you have to leave the cheque here and wait for clearance. When I explained to her that the cheque is from government account, she said I can not deposit that and my wife has to come to the branch to deposit!! I don't understand why I can not deposit a cheque to an account!! Even for doing regular transactions she is not helpful and I have to go to other branches which are far from me. All in all, when you go to this branch and see "Jesica", you should be ready for a battle and be prepared for teaching her about the bank transactions. In this way, I am planning to change my bank.

Original review: May 29, 2019

We called in to expedite a transfer by Zelle faster. The rep stated that TD Bank does not control the transfers and we would have to call Zelle directly. We chose to just use the card instead of moving funds but our card declined and we called in again speaking to someone else whom stated cannot verify my card so I provided my name for account verification. She then asked if she can send a code to my new phone number but then said she cannot use that because it has to be on the account for a long while, which is odd, so I gave my husband's number which has been on the account since we opened it and she said she cant use that either. Then said I can go to a branch to resolve, I stated, "There is no branch here in GA so what is another option?" She said, "Oh there isn't one."

I asked for her supervisor and then Pam got on the phone and said the same thing. I said many times that this needed to be resolved today but she just kept saying sorry. I advised that they all have my birth certificate, marriage license, social security number, address, DL and phone numbers. What else is there? She said there was a charge last year in February for Uber that was not verified. I said I have never used Uber and I am looking at the statement and that charge isn't there and she said, "Whoops. I meant Amazon in March." I said, "No that is not on here either." She said, "Regardless there is a block on your account and without verifying you we cannot remove it."

I said, "Use my husband's phone which is on the account to verify." She said, "No you have to go to a branch." I said, "The closest branch is in SC. Over three (3) hours from us and again what is the charge?" And then she said "I cannot tell you that". I asked why and she said, "There is nothing more for me to do for you." I demanded her manager and she said she reports to corporate and if I wanted to write a letter and mail it I can. I said, "I need a phone number" and she said no. I then asked why she won't transfer me to corporate and she said, "Because there isn't a number"; I asked how she got in touch with them and she refused to answer.

She told me she could stay on the phone all day and repeat the same thing to me all day that she cannot help me and I said that is fine; then she said she was disconnecting the call because I got angry and called her out for her empty apologies and continued to refuse to send a verification code to my husband's phone. My husband then got on the phone and they started yelling at each other and she hung up on him. The level of disrespect for your customers and refusal to assist with valid options is beyond me. Where is the convenience? Where is the pride to go above and beyond to help your customers?

I have been in customer service for over a decade and I understand there are policies to be followed but flat out refusing to help someone is ethically unacceptable. Not to mention we then called Zelle immediately afterwards and they said "Why would TD Bank tell you we control the transfers when they control that and can easily up to amount allowed or expedite it?" and he apologized to us for TD Bank's lack of customer service basics and lying to us. Also, I then called a branch and Rachel was able to not only verify all of my information but could not see this Uber or Amazon charge that Pam told me was on the account but wasn't able to lift the hold and suggested I call back in and hopefully someone could lift it. SMH. We are closing our account.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been a happy customer of the TD Bank for many years.... until the past 2 weeks. My online Savings account was hacked through a trojan virus and I was defrauded of almost 6 thousand dollars. I reported the fraud immediately and was told by a Fraud Investigator that I would be reimbursed because fraud was involved. I have not lost my bank card. I have not given my account # or password to anyone. I changed my password 6 months ago. When I checked last week to see when I would be reimbursed I was told my claim was denied. No reason given. I am supposed to get a letter but I was told there would be no reason given in the letter either. I am appealing the decision because I am a senior living on pension. I can't afford to lose the money.

I told the Bank Fraud department their decision is a disgrace. It was the bank's own security that was breached and e transfers made to someone with a foreign name who is unknown to me. I can't remember the last time I made an e transfer. The Fraud Investigator said she has no idea how the scammer was able to break through the TD bank's security. It appears they would rather would rather allow the scammers to continue their work and leave me with the loss than follow their own policy of replacing money lost through fraud. This could happen to any online TD Bank customer. I no longer trust the TD Bank to safeguard my savings. Don't let this happen to you. Bank somewhere else!

Original review: May 16, 2019

We went in to open a business account. The person we were dealing with to set up the account was rude, very unprofessional and even gave us the impression she didn't want to set up the account. We will never ever step in a TD bank again. Customers should never have to deal with people like this. If they can't deal with their customers with better customer service they should close this branch end of story. I have read the reviews on this branch and as I read this same person we dealt with today has a few bad reviews already on her. Seeing this just shows TD has zero respect for customers by allowing this person to still be employed there. Like I said never again. Oh and my family and friends are going to close their accounts with TD.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I set up a Bill Pay for an amount, five days before it was set to go out. I went on the app, went to pay a bill, chose the one I wanted to change, hit edit payment, and changed the amount and saved it. Instead of the payment being changed it sent the original one and the new one. Which resulted in me getting two overdraft fees (if the one was sent that was supposed to instead of both I wouldn't have received any) when I called they said it was user error. They said I had to cancel the other one to stop it. If that is the case then it shouldn't be an option to change it if you can't actually change it. I will be switching all my account next time I go on leave from the military.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Because I don't want to go through the hassle of closing my account, for the past TWO years I have tried to work with TD (associates, security and management) on my Online Banking problem. I cannot continue wasting 45 min-1 hr each week to access my account and this week I am closing my account. SECURITY? When I forgot my SS# the TD Associate was able to pull it up and read it off for me. In today's world of Internet Banking, if a bank cannot maintain their online accounts - then I have to wonder about the rest of their banking methods. Sincerely, CLTP.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have tried to make additional principal payments and it is CONTINUALLY applied to my monthly payment. I have called over the course of the last 3 years at least 15 times to get things straight. Apparently they use a third party for input and they are unable to read "additional principal only" or see a yellow highlighted area!

Original review: May 10, 2019

More than 3 weeks ago my husband and I noticed two withdrawals from our account for a total of 8500 which we did not make. We immediately called the bank to report this and have been told and provided documents that indicate TD tellers in two separate banks in CT gave funds to someone who didn't have either our account number or an ATM card for our account and presented ID bearing an inaccurate driver's license number, incorrect birth date and a signature that isn't even close to the on file signature.

We were told someone in security would contact us and so far, nothing has been done - not even a initial call to us from security - and the money has not been replaced in our account. We have spoken to countless bank representatives in multiple locations and in different positions and nobody can assist - just continue to tell us someone will get in touch with us. Meanwhile, we are out of this money, it is clearly their fault and several TD employees have openly admitted that this should have never happen and still we just sit and wait.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I left TD back in 2016 because of high interest rates and went to low fees bank. After getting a promotion and significant six figure salary increase, I decided I needed more services so I went back to TD. What a massive mistake! I'm traveling for work and a friend contacted me needing a temporary loan, I tried to email transfer money and my account was blocked for security reasons, sounds like a reasonable precaution right? I was informed I had to go into a bank while on the road to unlock my account, which I happily complied with taking time out of my very busy workday. Upon speaking with customer service at the bank the money transfer went through and I was told the problem was resolved, great right? NO...! Two days later I try to use the account again, once again I was locked out. I called into the help line and waited on hold only to be told I had to go back into a bank with two pieces of ID again. Like a complete fool I did.

I was told on this second visit that I should have been asked to reset my password as well at that time, fair enough as mistakes happen, we sorted out this additional step. Yesterday I tried to log into my account and wouldn't ya know it, access denied. I picked up the phone and called in again and big surprise, "We are sorry, we can't unlock your account and you will have to go into a branch." At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor who, after a long hold, said they could not do anything and I could not escalate this issue any further and I would would have to go back into a branch.

I work in customer service myself and I know how to deal with customers who have been put through too many layers of difficulty but this so called supervisor, Sabastion in Toronto, said TD doesn't "escalate" support tickets or complaints and then, I kid you all not... he hung up on me. Let me give it to you all honestly people, don't think that your lousy $100K salary means anything to TD Canada Trust. You are just a number. That means nothing to them. Tomorrow I will go though the agonizing process opening another bank account in a different institution, then I will get the account and transit number to send to the company I work for so my paychecks will start arriving there instead. This has been an agonizing process with with TD but tomorrow I will sever ties for good.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I gave two chances to this bank in different point of time and should say they are consistently horrible. They don't deliver on advertised product values. Phone customer service is almost nonexisting. Customer serv reps have no answers to any questions and always sends you to the branch. But funny enough people at the branch also know nothing and cannot help. Each information I received in most cases was incorrect. Online banking and payments products are pre-historical, they don't have any convenient and new services for managing your payments needs. Both of my interaction with this bank ended up by terminating any relationship. Will never come back!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Please keep in mind when setting up voice recognition with TD Bank that if it doesn’t work you have to go to a branch to remove it. Customer service will not help you on the phone. This is not Americans' most convenient bank. Horrible service.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This bank is extremely predatory. They say that their online banking is not effective in showing your transactions, and that you should keep a check register. So they can hit you with excessive overdraft fees. I’ve gotten $400 in overdraft fees in one week. They process your transactions so you will you overdraft. They are not flexible, there are no limitations on how many times you can overdraft in a day. They will just keep adding overdrafts to your account. They only allow one allowance a year. There is no grace period. I’ve been giving them the benefit of the doubt for a year, and after reading these reviews where they try to divert me and make me feel bad, I’m glad I’m not the only one. Banking made easier...yeah right.

Original review: April 24, 2019

The absolute worst bank ever!!!! Shady practices! I work hard for my money and TD Bank has charged me for transactions I never made. And then they want to try and make me feel as if I don't understand how banking works. Complete frauds! If you work hard for your money and want to open an account where you feel safe & secure, DO NOT PATRONIZE TD BANK for your financial needs.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

• Best for: TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg