2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

TD Bank

TD Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

TD Bank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I’ve been using TD Bank's online services for approximately 5 years without a problem. I can transfer money from my checking account within TD and to non TD banks. I love their mobile check deposit service... Very convenient! I pay almost all of my bills with their bill pay service. Their staff is mostly courteous and they are open more than my other local banks. One amazing feature that my previous bank didn’t offer is TD’s ability to very quickly generate a bank card at their branches. Great bank. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I only use it to check the account. No transaction. To see what checks was clean, balance and able to project. No service fees. I can't say anymore than that. I was just introduce for I to check, they need to send via text a number I need to enter to get in.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Have dealt with this bank for decades without a single problem. Statements are clear and easy to understand and reconcile. In person contact with numerous branches in VT and FL easy and staff are always helpful. Only one downside, as I have considered cash in checking account, I wish they would make a concerted effort (reach out to me) to offer CD's or other products that would earn income.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have included a car loan TD Bank/TD Finance upon my past court loan while fully being firm & not flexible with monthly amounts being included. I also had included medical areas for interfering my monthly amount for additional charges, but they have logically allowed their reductions while working within a family business style & not our rip-off style within many other Auto Loan areas.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This insurance co does biz in Canada, I do not know if they also insure in the US but premiums are very good if you have a good driving record and good credit history. I have been insuring with them for 11 years and premiums have stayed reasonable. Claims are a bit slow to be processed. Otherwise great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: May 22, 2020

If you're looking to set up a tax-free savings mutual fund for your children to be able to save money for their future tuition, don't ask TD for any help. TD screwed us over by incorrectly classifying our investments so that when we withdrew the money for tuition, that money was then considered part of my income by the CRA. We were then taxed over 18% of that money, wrongfully!

There's more to the story, and we even went to an external company to help us resolve the financial dispute we started with TD. All TD had to do was update a declaration form to submit to CRA and they wouldn't do that. The external vendor found TD to be liable for 50% of their mistakes and TD STILL won't admit they made a mistake, twice, for both times we withdrew money from out TFSA mutual trust fund, yes, a TAX FREE savings. Do not bank with TD, do not invest in TD and most importantly, do not trust TD. They misinformed us, wouldn't resolve their mistakes and wouldn't accept responsibility so now we lost a large chunk of savings for tuition and they don't care, nothing will happen. Good job, TD. Thank you for screwing over the little guy.

Original review: May 21, 2020

All I am going to say is that if you forget your password when you call them for assistance or help, even if you tell them... "I can't remember it cause I never had to use this password before now." They will not accept anything else but the password that you may even of made months ago and I just want to ask them "Please can you just check my account? I think there's some money transaction that I'm not sure of, so could you at least check to see if there may have been fraud or a mistake?" But Nooo. Even if you tell them to ask you any question like for instance your social or mother's maiden name or credit card bank info or even phone number whatever cause I got that all. They still won't help you in the least bit.

Today it's now been over a month since I first called them and I'm still stuck with this problem.. But still the same thing!? They always used the voice recognition in the past and I never had a problem. But they are saying the system still down. So then fix it by now. It's been over a month!!! And if you are asking yourself why don't I just go online? Well I did at first but in the middle of creating my account online the internet went dead. So then I had login problems after that and it would not allow me to go any further or start over. Yes I had to call to try and get that fixed too. But I didn't have the.... PASSWORD PASSWORD PASSWORD!!!

By the way the banks are closed inside the lobby because of Covid-19 so that couldn't work for me either!.. Oh and one more thing don't have less than 2500.00 in your checking or you will have to pay them 25.00 every time. This did not have to go this far. I even talked to the manager but got no action. This is my first bad comment I ever wrote online. Thanks!!

Original review: May 20, 2020

I opened a Savings and Checking account with TD Bank, and I was never told that I could link my saving to my checking in order to protect myself in case of an overdraft. Instead, they kept on charging me fees after fees, paper statement fee for every paper statement they deliver, service fee of 15.00 dollars that I didn't know about. They also have an overdraft fee of 35.00 dollars per day. Aside from the hidden fees, they have some rude employees when you call the 800 number. Had they told me about the overdraft protection, I would have made sure to implement it to protect my money. If I had been informed of the paper statement fee, I would also made sure to use online statement fee.

Needless to say, I am closing my account tomorrow. I tried to close it today, and they would not let me, because I transferred money from my savings to my checking to cover the overdraft fees: I was told since there is a pending transactions, you will not be able to close this today. Tomorrow, I will go there and pay cash to settle the fees and close the account so they don't charge me another fee of 35.00 dollars. This has never happened to me in all my years of banking. I also have two accounts with Santander Bank, they will automatically transfer money from one account to another to prevent an overdraft. TD Bank is by far the worse bank with whom I ever did business. They are allowed to steal hardworking people's money if you make a mistake. Taking advantage of people during a pandemic is the utmost disgrace. I will also file charges with the Attorney General's office.

Original review: May 8, 2020

This is the only bank I use and I wanted to try Samsung Pay on my phone and watch! I even tried adding my card. I got a message saying I could call TD and ask them to activate my card on samsung pay! But when I called them they said they only have Apple Pay. That's it and they stopped dealing with Google Pay and Samsung pay 3 years ago! Whats the point of this bank if it can't support the only phone you use! Disappointed! Honestly just go with RBC. They support everything and would never have these small issues!

Original review: May 6, 2020

Terrible bank! Period. I could write a book at this point! Most recently the story goes like this: My debit card expired and they emailed to say they were sending a new one. Never came. I called customer service and they sent out a replacement. Never came. I did this TWO MORE TIMES and STILL NO CARD. That's 4 tries at sending me a new client card and I still do not have one! My local branch is closed, indefinitely, due to Covid19. AND I DO NOT HAVE A CLIENT CARD THAT WORKS!!! So, in the middle of a pandemic I cannot access my bank account.

If you call customer service it is an hour+ wait, every time, and I've already tried this route 4 times. If I try to go to the branch I cannot -- closed! BOTH Astoria branches closed. Not even a few hours a week. All their clients here are now stranded. THIS IS NOT LEGENDARY SERVICE. This is NOT America's most convenient bank. This is a terrible bank. Period. Now, don't even get me started with all the other poor experiences I've had in the past. I have a feeling this bank will, ultimately, fail and go under. Just too terrible.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor