Find an Online Banks partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I have not been a customer of TD bank in over a decade as I moved to a different part of the country. Somehow, my identity was stolen from their database last month. This was violating and disruptive to my busy life. They have awful customer service and no support for victims of identity theft. I waited on hold for an hour and a half, told there was no update to my case and no further information that could be provided. There was no timeframe when they could provide an update, no system for tracking or communicating resolutions or updates. The experience with their customer service and the level of attention and concern to victims of their own database breach is absolutely deplorable. I would advise never doing business with this company.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I went into TD bank to withdraw $9000.00 and was told that they had to do a car to the IRS even though the law is 10,000.00 and I've had 30 years of business banking with TD bank with large direct deposits and have not taken out large amounts of money. With no cash deposits, I felt really pissed that I should get any flag on my SS# for something that I'm entitled to. So I went back into the bank and found out they weren't treating me **, they treat all their business accounts ** by having a limit to report of 8000.00 dollars. So who are they going above and beyond for? Me or someone else. You judge.

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

I called TD Bank customer service to increase my daily debit limit and automatic system verified my identity after taking like 17 minute and system put me on hold for around 20 minute and customer service came and she start verifying me. Asking me all the questions my name, my address, company name, bank account transactions even though she texted me on my cell phone that code and after all that she spent 45 minutes and told me I am not verified, I mean really this is so ridiculous. This TD the crap bank the worst bank in my life. I never ever go back to them and I’m going to close all my accounts because this is too much. It’s so annoying, so ridiculous and shame on TD Bank. What they’re doing to their business customer giving them a hard time for no reason after even verified all the identity. This is ridiculous. Shame on TD Bank and go to hell TD Bank.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Ismail ** from Parsippany NJ branch was an excellent Store Manager and assisted us with our needs ASAP and with full efficiency. Service given within no time wasting and 100% efforts are put in. Very dedicated staff member. Great Job- Thank You Mr. Ismail

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I initiated a claim for $16,000 dollars on my business account on July 23rd, a few days later I cancelled the claim as we realized that the charges were valid. TD bank said they could not cancel the claim and to deal with the merchant. The funds were taken out of the merchant's account and I then paid the merchant $16,000 dollars in the form of a wire transfer. TD Bank was supposed to credit my account back by August 28th as they have the funds from the merchant. We can’t get an answer from the claims department and customer service or the branch are unable to help. We need our money credited to our account ASAP as we have now essentially paid the merchant twice. The lack of communication is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I have had an ongoing situation with this bank since Feb 2021 when my account was hacked and $900 was withdrawn from my account. The bank kept insisting I authorized the transaction which I did not. I only got a review after multiple attempts to contact the bank. Nobody ever called me to ask for my version of the story. I only got partial resolution after filing a claim the Federal Consumer Protection Bureau. I had this account for over 30 years. I have closed it and will continue to post bad reviews for this bank until I get a resolution to the situation.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

If I could give a zero I would. I am using this RRSP for my 1st time home buyer's initiative. I moved my RRSP from BMO to TD, at least trying to.... In June 2021

TD "back office" rejected the BMO transfer (at some point) and did not advise me until August 17, 2021. Now I am trying to locate my RRSP cheque and TD is unable to provide me with any information as to when they sent this cheque back to BMO. BMO has not received the cheque and when BMO contacted the TD, no information was provided. I went to the TD bank (located on Whyte Ave and 109 Street) to see where my money was, and I remained on hold with a TD representative for over one hour.

While on hold, I contacted the BMO bank and they advised that if TD could fax them a "Letter of Indemnity", they could issue me another cheque. TD stated that they did not know what a "Letter of Indemnity" is, and that BMO would have to provide that letter to me. I asked them, "Why would BMO create a "Letter of Indemnity", to state that TD would not cash the cheque that they wrote to them, the onus is on TD to guarantee to BMO that they would not cash the cheque so they could reissue me the cheque." TD could not respond to this question. TD still does not know where or when they sent this cheque back.

So I said... "Let me get this straight... I trust you with my money, and you can't tell me where 40,000 dollars is.... You don't track these things...." Response, "Sorry, we don't know." I said, "Wouldn't you be mad if your bank lost 40 grand of your money and had no explanation?" Response, "Sorry this is all we have on our screen." I said, "You're lucky this is Canada and not a carry and conceal state." TD doesn't care about their customers AT all.. Whoever is working the TD back office is not about customers at all, if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't have a job. I have dealt with TD for over 10 years, never asked for a thing and when I actually want them to do their job, test their knowledge, they have no clue. What bank employee doesn't know what a letter of Indemnity is? So mad, will be pulling everything from TD. Canadian banks are a monopoly of **. I am considering a credit union.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

TD Mortgage Centre renewed my mortgage wrongly without my permission in May 2021. I have been calling TD branch every week since then. They replied me that it is mortgage centre's glitch and they will fix it. I have been waiting from week to week and month to month, TD mortgage centre still charge me wrongly. They made me suffering by the mistake they made! It is an absurd experience to deal with TD Mortgage with their poor service.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

I was considering TD Bank one of the biggest banks in US, till I realized that TD Bank has limited licenses for many activities. Never use TD Bank for an international transaction or to transfer money to another country. The exchange rates of this bank are astronomical and they even don't disclose to you that they are using third party for it. They charged me more than 5% for the exchange transaction plus $50 wire fees. You can transfer for less than 1% with any other banks and the wire transfer fees could be low as $15. I would never recommend TD Bank to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

This bank does NOT require in person identification to open an account and someone opened an account online in my name. I came home to an open checking account and bank card? What kind of bank does that? Any joe schmoe can just use someone's identity to get what they want over the internet if banks are going to make it that easy.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor