2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

TD Bank

TD Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.56/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I like the customer service I get at my local branch. Recently, the chip stopped working on my debit card. Since it is drive-up only at this time, the teller told me he'd get a new one made right away and to pull around the corner and he would bring it out to me. It was great service!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

When we moved to Pennsylvania nearly twenty years ago, family recommended TD Bank. I barely qualified as a senior citizen. Over the years, I have had a great relationship with them. They have been working with me when times were difficult. They offered great services. In this difficult time when it's hard for everyone, they are still there for me. TD is a good place to bank for senior citizens, as I am sure it is for others.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been with TD Bank for over 25 years. The convenient hours make a big difference-including being open on Sundays. The tellers are very courteous and friendly when I do go to the actual bank (right now using the drive through). However, I do most of my banking online. The app is very user friendly. All in all I find TD Bank meets my banking needs and am very satisfied.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We use TD for our savings account and for checking. The folks at our local TD Bank are always pleasant and helpful and they know my name when I walk in the door. (Something we can't do these days.) When I first moved down here, I had no computer available, it was stuck up in NY on the moving truck. I had bills to pay. The gentleman I spoke to, turned his computer around, handed me the keyboard and said, "Go to it." I was amazed. I did what I had to and thanked him. He just said if you need anymore help, just come back in. That's what I call excellent customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Let me tell you a story about two gentlemen from T.D. Bank named Sal ** and Roberto **. O’ my gosh, what lifesavers. I lost my card in a T.D. Bank in just a few seconds, the machine didn’t give the “take your card out” reminder and I wasn’t paying attention. When I walked to the next store I realized I didn’t have my card. A slight panic was starting to develop. It was still early but all the banks, all the banks only had ATM’s and no one to talk to, I was lost for a minute. Then I decided to try the T.D. Bank near The Bronx Zoo, which had drive in. I thought maybe I could speak with someone. At this point I only had $6 in my possession.

When I went to the bank I found that it had closed, I was heart broken. I lost my card, only $6 in my pocket. I felt like half a man with my money gone. I was thinking about hanging out with some chicks but not now. No money no chicks. I went to the window humbly and explained my situation. I could tell right away the guy I was explaining my situation to had a friendly face and might be able to help me. Once he explained to his supervisor what happened I couldn’t believe the help I got. They said they were closed but just like the commercial, they went out of their way for me.

I was reassured that I could get my card in the next day. That was a relief. Card was cancelled and I was given back my card number after I.D. check and I got money. I had to thank these guys because first, they were friendly and helpful. These things I needed because I was going through some at this time. The thing that got me was at the moment I needed an understanding friend and a bank teller, they were both. I left glad I had signed up with T.D. Bank. Raises, promotions and television commercials could easily go to them. If anyone of those guys ever need a reference from me, it could be 10yrs from now, they got it from me. Thanks again Sal ** and Roberto **, the world needs more of you guys.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

What they do is dishonest, by making up charges, telling you that they will get rid of them, and then changing their minds. Pointing out their mistakes makes them mad. Customer is not right in this bank. What's worse is the feeling that you are not a human but credit to be pilfered through deceit. Avoid them if you can; your balance and emotions will thank you in the long run.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I banked with TD for 6 years. The app is not user-friendly and the overdraft fees are crazy. There is only 1 bank in my city and it is located on the other side of town so I relied mostly on online banking. Which logged me out every 5 min so it was hard to get anything done. The customer service was average, it was just hard to get connected with a human and not a FAQ bot. Honestly, it was a hassle to do anything with TD. I opened a credit card with Capital One last year and saw that banking didn't have to be stressful.

About a week ago I decided to switch my checking and savings account with Capital One and be done with TD. I had to call TD Customer Service 3 times to close my accounts, was not impressed by the customer service I received. They did not explain the process. And as a customer of 6 years with TD, not one time did any of these 3 people ask me why I wanted to close my accounts or offer me any sort of reason to stay banking with them. No email saying "sorry to see you go". Nothing. Which only leads me to believe that they do not care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

I have been with TD CANADA TRUST for 20 years. About one year ago they changed. They have become arrogant, dishonest and unhelpful. They treat you as a number not as a person. And they take zero responsibility when they make a mistake.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I had a bed financed through Home Inspiration. I owed $5500.00, it was nice that the interest rate was 0% for 72 months or something like that... That was the only good thing. I was informed of who my loan was with and attempted many times to make an online account (make it easy to manage my account). The company locked my account so I could not make an online account, I had to contact and speak to customer service to set up the online account...fair enough.

I called customer service almost a dozen times on separate occasions, to this day....I have not been able to speak to a human being. Two different times I had nothing to do that day, so I played a game with this company, "How long until I speak to a customer service representative?" I was on hold two different days on weekdays (I'm a police officer so I have some days off during the week) and was on hold for 3 hrs both times. I played video games and did multiple things trying to kill time to speak to someone. NO ONE ANSWERED!! I then finally gave up and hung up. I believe no one actually works there or it’s a ploy to force you to remember every time to pay your bill the day of. If you are late on a payment (because you forget the bill was due that day) that 0% APR skyrockets. I believe this is what they are trying to do to customers so they can make more money and prevent customers from setting up automatic payments to avoid this.

I am fine with paying bills, but I also like to set up automatic payments so I do not have to worry about it, which I could never do. I ended up paying off the remainder of my balance ($5,200.00. I only made payments for five months) because I was tired of messing around with this terrible company. I hope this was helpful. I WILL NOT BE USING THEM AGAIN FOR FINANCING. -Officer Bryan.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I deposited a 334,500$ check on Jan. 6, 1921 and they told me today, on Jan. 8, 2021, that the money will only be available in 10 business days. I can see in the account where the check was drawn that the amount is debited and no longer available. In essence, they hold my money and pay their dividends with it. This is beyond outrageous and this bank no longer deserves my business. But I have to wait 10 business days before I can close my account. AVOID THIS SCAM ORGANIZATION!

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor