TD Bank and TD Banknorth
3.43/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

TD Bank

824 TD Bank and TD Banknorth Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have been a happy customer of the TD Bank for many years.... until the past 2 weeks. My online Savings account was hacked through a trojan virus and I was defrauded of almost 6 thousand dollars. I reported the fraud immediately and was told by a Fraud Investigator that I would be reimbursed because fraud was involved. I have not lost my bank card. I have not given my account # or password to anyone. I changed my password 6 months ago. When I checked last week to see when I would be reimbursed I was told my claim was denied. No reason given. I am supposed to get a letter but I was told there would be no reason given in the letter either. I am appealing the decision because I am a senior living on pension. I can't afford to lose the money.

I told the Bank Fraud department their decision is a disgrace. It was the bank's own security that was breached and e transfers made to someone with a foreign name who is unknown to me. I can't remember the last time I made an e transfer. The Fraud Investigator said she has no idea how the scammer was able to break through the TD bank's security. It appears they would rather would rather allow the scammers to continue their work and leave me with the loss than follow their own policy of replacing money lost through fraud. This could happen to any online TD Bank customer. I no longer trust the TD Bank to safeguard my savings. Don't let this happen to you. Bank somewhere else!

Original review: May 16, 2019

We went in to open a business account. The person we were dealing with to set up the account was rude, very unprofessional and even gave us the impression she didn't want to set up the account. We will never ever step in a TD bank again. Customers should never have to deal with people like this. If they can't deal with their customers with better customer service they should close this branch end of story. I have read the reviews on this branch and as I read this same person we dealt with today has a few bad reviews already on her. Seeing this just shows TD has zero respect for customers by allowing this person to still be employed there. Like I said never again. Oh and my family and friends are going to close their accounts with TD.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I set up a Bill Pay for an amount, five days before it was set to go out. I went on the app, went to pay a bill, chose the one I wanted to change, hit edit payment, and changed the amount and saved it. Instead of the payment being changed it sent the original one and the new one. Which resulted in me getting two overdraft fees (if the one was sent that was supposed to instead of both I wouldn't have received any) when I called they said it was user error. They said I had to cancel the other one to stop it. If that is the case then it shouldn't be an option to change it if you can't actually change it. I will be switching all my account next time I go on leave from the military.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Because I don't want to go through the hassle of closing my account, for the past TWO years I have tried to work with TD (associates, security and management) on my Online Banking problem. I cannot continue wasting 45 min-1 hr each week to access my account and this week I am closing my account. SECURITY? When I forgot my SS# the TD Associate was able to pull it up and read it off for me. In today's world of Internet Banking, if a bank cannot maintain their online accounts - then I have to wonder about the rest of their banking methods. Sincerely, CLTP.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I have tried to make additional principal payments and it is CONTINUALLY applied to my monthly payment. I have called over the course of the last 3 years at least 15 times to get things straight. Apparently they use a third party for input and they are unable to read "additional principal only" or see a yellow highlighted area!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: May 10, 2019

More than 3 weeks ago my husband and I noticed two withdrawals from our account for a total of 8500 which we did not make. We immediately called the bank to report this and have been told and provided documents that indicate TD tellers in two separate banks in CT gave funds to someone who didn't have either our account number or an ATM card for our account and presented ID bearing an inaccurate driver's license number, incorrect birth date and a signature that isn't even close to the on file signature.

We were told someone in security would contact us and so far, nothing has been done - not even a initial call to us from security - and the money has not been replaced in our account. We have spoken to countless bank representatives in multiple locations and in different positions and nobody can assist - just continue to tell us someone will get in touch with us. Meanwhile, we are out of this money, it is clearly their fault and several TD employees have openly admitted that this should have never happen and still we just sit and wait.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I left TD back in 2016 because of high interest rates and went to low fees bank. After getting a promotion and significant six figure salary increase, I decided I needed more services so I went back to TD. What a massive mistake! I'm traveling for work and a friend contacted me needing a temporary loan, I tried to email transfer money and my account was blocked for security reasons, sounds like a reasonable precaution right? I was informed I had to go into a bank while on the road to unlock my account, which I happily complied with taking time out of my very busy workday. Upon speaking with customer service at the bank the money transfer went through and I was told the problem was resolved, great right? NO...! Two days later I try to use the account again, once again I was locked out. I called into the help line and waited on hold only to be told I had to go back into a bank with two pieces of ID again. Like a complete fool I did.

I was told on this second visit that I should have been asked to reset my password as well at that time, fair enough as mistakes happen, we sorted out this additional step. Yesterday I tried to log into my account and wouldn't ya know it, access denied. I picked up the phone and called in again and big surprise, "We are sorry, we can't unlock your account and you will have to go into a branch." At this point I asked to speak to a supervisor who, after a long hold, said they could not do anything and I could not escalate this issue any further and I would would have to go back into a branch.

I work in customer service myself and I know how to deal with customers who have been put through too many layers of difficulty but this so called supervisor, Sabastion in Toronto, said TD doesn't "escalate" support tickets or complaints and then, I kid you all not... he hung up on me. Let me give it to you all honestly people, don't think that your lousy $100K salary means anything to TD Canada Trust. You are just a number. That means nothing to them. Tomorrow I will go though the agonizing process opening another bank account in a different institution, then I will get the account and transit number to send to the company I work for so my paychecks will start arriving there instead. This has been an agonizing process with with TD but tomorrow I will sever ties for good.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I gave two chances to this bank in different point of time and should say they are consistently horrible. They don't deliver on advertised product values. Phone customer service is almost nonexisting. Customer serv reps have no answers to any questions and always sends you to the branch. But funny enough people at the branch also know nothing and cannot help. Each information I received in most cases was incorrect. Online banking and payments products are pre-historical, they don't have any convenient and new services for managing your payments needs. Both of my interaction with this bank ended up by terminating any relationship. Will never come back!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Please keep in mind when setting up voice recognition with TD Bank that if it doesn’t work you have to go to a branch to remove it. Customer service will not help you on the phone. This is not Americans' most convenient bank. Horrible service.

Original review: May 1, 2019

This bank is extremely predatory. They say that their online banking is not effective in showing your transactions, and that you should keep a check register. So they can hit you with excessive overdraft fees. I’ve gotten $400 in overdraft fees in one week. They process your transactions so you will you overdraft. They are not flexible, there are no limitations on how many times you can overdraft in a day. They will just keep adding overdrafts to your account. They only allow one allowance a year. There is no grace period. I’ve been giving them the benefit of the doubt for a year, and after reading these reviews where they try to divert me and make me feel bad, I’m glad I’m not the only one. Banking made easier...yeah right.

Original review: April 24, 2019

The absolute worst bank ever!!!! Shady practices! I work hard for my money and TD Bank has charged me for transactions I never made. And then they want to try and make me feel as if I don't understand how banking works. Complete frauds! If you work hard for your money and want to open an account where you feel safe & secure, DO NOT PATRONIZE TD BANK for your financial needs.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Buyer Beware. It has been 6 months since I opened a premier checking account with direct deposit at TD Bank and I still have not received the $300 promotion offer I received in the mail despite following up with TD several times. TD has fine print and other excuses and tricks to constantly delay or avoid paying the customer the promised incentive. I know of other banks that honor their promotion without the customer having to inquire and complain to get it. TD just uses the lure of a financial incentive to get new customers, and then once they have them, they don't pay it. Unscrupulous to say the least.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I am having a claim of money taken out of my account. I was told by the agent to go to the bank am have them fax the paperwork over to them. This women said she does not know the fax number. This is her bank. She could not help me. Every time I go to this bank the service is terrible. Get people who know how to do their job.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Rips Off Senior Citizens. My checking account was $3.00 short for 2 days. I am 65 years old. I get my part-time job pay deposited into the account. THEY REFUSED to help me with a $9.00 A MONTH CHARGE. THAT TOOK $9 FOR A $3 shortfall in the minimum balance -- NOT AN OVERDRAFT - just the monthly minimum to avoid fees. THEY MAKE $120 A YEAR -- on my money -- they could not help me out? NO RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT since the Canadian bank took over, NONE. Leave them, I am!

Original review: April 8, 2019

On April 6 2019 at approximately 9:45 am, I went into TD Bank at Kennedy and Eglinton and went to bank machine number TD 2032. I deposited $1,400 into the machine. The machine refused one of the $20 bills and it was pushed back out. The machine started to count and said CASH IS BEING VERIFIED. The machine was taking too long and there was no sound.

I called over a teller. She saw what was happening, and the machine said THIS MACHINE IS NOT ACCEPTING BULK CASH AT THIS TIME or something similar. Then the machine shut down and reset. The teller saw this happen. My card came out and no receipt. I told the teller what happened and she said to come over and see if the deposit went through. It did not. I had no proof at all. She gave me a phone number to call. I called the number and got nowhere. I stood in front of the machine and the security guard was there and saw what was going on. No one would give me a receipt, no one would help. I asked over and over for someone to come and open the machine and see my deposit. They all said no including the supervisor that was on the phone with me. This went on and on for near 20 mins at least.

The supervisor on the phone was trying to trick me. She said "So you deposited $1820. Is that right?" and I said "NO! I put in $1400 and $20 came back so it was $1380". And she said "Oh, my mistake". Then we would talk more and then she said "So you were making a withdrawal" and I said "NO! I was making a deposit" and she said again "Oh my mistake". Finally a man came to open the ATM. He picked out the money that was the last deposit and it was exactly $1,380 which I had said I put it. I was telling the supervisor this as it was happening on the phone.

Then the ATM man took the cash and put it back in the machine and closed it up and walked away. He walked over to the tellers. I don't know what he said. No one was helping me at all. The bank manager did nothing. The tellers did nothing. They were waiting for me to leave. I would not leave the machine without a receipt. No one would give me one. I kept telling them I had no proof and it was theft.

When a bank machine takes your money, malfunctions and gives no receipt, to me that is theft on their part. I stood there waiting and I was telling the customers not to use this machine and why. I was on my cell phone with supervisors and managers for 45 minutes. This was their fault but I was made to do all the calling. TD did nothing. Finally after 1 hour and 40 minutes approximately, a woman came over and said "Come with me". I went and argued with her in her office and then she finally wrote that I had deposited $1380 and signed it. But it didn't say much other than that. It wasn't much proof. The money is still not showing in my account 2 days later.

Original review: March 30, 2019

This bank is a joke, I called the customer service, and then talked to a account advisor called first name Sydney. I was a new customer and first time calling their customer service because I needed help to login into my account then they asked me to verify my password which I did not remember because I opened this specific account online and I never created a password there!!

I could not tell my password to this rep and Sydney, guess what? He told me to go to the branch, "We can not help you over the phone!" I told my social security number, address, card number and all, but he said he needed a password to verify me and it was the only way to verify their customers?? I can not believe this. How is this the most convenient bank here in US, it is totally bias. They are liars. You scamming people because it is a false advertisement right there. Shame on your account advisor called Sydney from Mt Laurel NJ. I do not recommend this bank at all to anybody. Please go bank with others and do not let these type of people make money from you!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CARD. First of all, it is TD Bank not Ally (itself) which manages this credit card - so you don't get the benefit of the consistently good/just service of Ally. TD seems to have a history of not fulfilling the "welcome bonus" of $100.00 and of course, they didn't honor it for me after I spent $1800 (advertisement is >$500) on the card within 3 months of receiving it. Furthermore, you cannot redeem cash rewards or even statement credit until you reach $25 in your rewards balance. Moreover, you're only going to generate 1-2% cash rewards on each purchase. I canceled my account after over $1900 in expenditures, and did not receive a dime in rewards. It's not worth it. Trust me. Get a Discover It or Chase Freedom - or ANYTHING ELSE. Terrible, terrible experiences with this card.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I emailed customer service a very simple question about my online bank statements and they responded with a copy and paste answer that wasn't related to my question. I responded trying to clarify, but received another copy and paste email that was also not related to my question. So I tried clarifying again using multiple screenshots and I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY RESPONSE. I then contacted the person's manager and DID NOT GET A RESPONSE FROM THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER. I continued to forward my question for weeks to no avail. I will be closing my account because TD clearly doesn't care about me.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have had a bank account with TD Bank for years and it has always been subpar. But the final straw was when I went to a TD ATM to withdraw $500 and the ATM never gave me the money. After calling the bank they put a claim in to review the transaction. The employee I spoke to said it would help to call the branch to see if they found any issues with the ATM when they came in.

When I called the bank two women I spoke to said they did find some issues but they couldn’t help because I put a claim in. Since I followed exactly what I was supposed to do I am being punished. It has been 10 days and I still haven’t seen MY money back. If the ATM gave me too much money they would be in my account to take it back the next day. Every time I call to check the status they give me another future date that it might be given back to me. I am just glad that it wasn’t my last dollar and I needed to feed my family with it. Beware when using TD Bank ATMs.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My card info was stolen. Someone bought plane tix with the info. Call canceled the card. Asked for my money to be returned. I was informed that I had to wait till it posted to the account and then I could file a dispute. Then I would have to wait 5-12 business days to see my money. So. guilty till proven innocent. Closed all account with that bank.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Deposited the check in the amount of $700. However, the ATM read it as $200, despite a clear designation of the amount both in digits, and in very distinct letters. I came to the bank two days later, hoping to have the issue resolve ASAP. Had to spend half an hour there the first time, filling out the request. A few days later, came back again, because the issue had not been resolved, and I was told to wait... 10 business days! In other words, 2 weeks! So the bank makes an error, the error is very obvious, as they can see the image of the check, but yet they refuse to release MY money to me! That's in addition to the fact, that this is NOT the first occurrence of that nature, there have been other instances similar to these, and there had already been a request made to report the faulty ATM. NOBODY cares.

The bank has enough money, it does not need to buy food or medication. So after wasting two visits to the bank to sort out this issue, I just called the bank. USELESS. The money won't be released until "they complete the dispute". The dispute with themselves. And you, customer, can drop dead. First the government shut down, then the banks screw you. What are we turning into? Will be closing the account as soon as I get my money back. Meanwhile, will be addressing this with BBB. This is nothing, but a fraud.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am extremely unhappy with TD Mortgage. My biggest complaint is that the online app makes no allowance to pay additional principal. If you add additional principal it will sit in the account un-applied for as long as 2-3 weeks. I have made calls, sent messages, talked to my branch manager to no avail. Furthermore I have been told 3 different ways to pay additional principal by using bill pay, all get the same result. It’s as if the bank set out to make paying principal down as difficult and inconvenient as possible to garner more loan interest. What they are doing is criminal. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 5, 2019

As I signed into my account as I did many many times before, they wanted to change my account to add my phone number for "security" reasons. Due to the recent disasters with Facebook, I decided to read the opt-out paragraphs. When reading the opt-out paragraphs I found out that they were using a different corporation, and it said "Fiserv and its affiliates may receive names, domains, addresses, password, telephone and device numbers the content of messages and data files and other data files and information provided by you and other sources in connection with the out-of-band authentication service".

Well this looks very much to me like they are giving my information or selling my information to anyone else or the highest bidder. We must as a society stop these corporations from stealing our identity and selling them to other people. I have liked TD Bank for years, but when I saw this, it looks as it if they're selling us out just like Facebook and all the rest of them are.

Original review: March 3, 2019

So I guess TD Bank changed its BusinessDirect login and merged it with retail bank username accounts? I don't know but out of nowhere the website completely changed and does not have BusinessDirect links to login to my client accounts for statements. Now I'm locked out of the service for no reason at all. They had to "change my User ID" but didn't tell me what they changed it to. I have several clients that I do business with and am granted read only access to bank accounts. Now I've got to bother all of these clients to use their administrative access to correct TD Banks error in judgment. TD Bank is by far the worst bank to use for small businesses. Just absolute garbage.

Original review: March 2, 2019

TD Bank Stole My Money. Do not use TD if you value security. Someone used my card's info to spend $391. TD confirmed that no security info was used during the transaction (chip, zip code, cvv), but TD determined the charge was legitimate. I will not be getting my money without pursuit of legal options. I have been a cardholder at TD Bank for 10 years, I have never had an issue with fraud. Their commitment to security and customer loyalty is disappointing. Do not use TD Bank.

Original review: March 1, 2019

TD bank online service is the worst, unprofessional and rude. I have been banking with this bank over 10+ and the experience I got today from the online service I hope no one ever has to go through that. I tried to use my debit card to make a large purchased today and it was declined cause I went over my $2000.00 a day limit. I called customer service, the first person picked up hang up the phone on me so I called back. The second person picked up, said I wasn’t answering the right questions so I asked to speak to a supervisor, when he came on the phone he was no better. I felt I was getting nowhere with them so I jumped in my car while he was on the phone and drove to a TD branch so one of the tellers can look at my ID and explain to the customer service online supervisor that all the information I was giving is true. Well you would think that would work it didn’t! He still told me unfortunately the answers I provided was wrong and it wasn’t me??‍♀️

Original review: March 1, 2019

Went through drive-thru and dealt with a horrible teller. Her demeanor was pathetically a slacker. Called customer service to inform them of the situation and was told by Victoria that it was the microphone rather than the service. Victoria was speaking for the teller when she wasn’t present when the situation occur. Victoria must have ESP/PMS syndrome.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Today, my husband and I received letters about closing all our accounts in TD Bank, after 5 years being their clients, paying all the loans from these accounts, paying all communications and all expenses! Having there personal, general and business accounts! Naturally without explanation of the reason! How such a thing can happen to good citizens, for me it is not just inconvenience, but I consider it a violation of all human and civil rights! For 5 years they used my money, and now I have to transfer all accounts in two weeks and spend my time and nerves on it!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I open TD Bank checking account and I get the runaround and been told to go TD Bank branch which is one hour away from me and the rep told me that they couldn't verify me over the phone and I told them that and they don't understand. I called TD Bank rep and they told me that my account was fine - that I didn't need to do anything with the account. I called yesterday and I get told that my account was restricted and I cant gain access to my account. I was trying to get into my TD Bank account to pay a fee they asked me to pay and when I try to login it said "your account is restriction" for no reason. I feel like TD Bank is trying to scam people into banking with them. They up and decided to close your account without telling you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Awful customer service. Very rude. My elderly mother made a simple math mistake (she’s in her 80s) and this bank charged her overdraft fees of over $700. Example: electric bill had 2 overdraft fees in one day. Did not have a chance to put more money in account. Didn’t know banks could do this! We had a very bad experience. No longer have account at this bank & never will!

TD Ameritrade expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

• Best for: TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg