2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

TD Bank

TD Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.27/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

TD Bank Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I’ve been using TD Bank's online services for approximately 5 years without a problem. I can transfer money from my checking account within TD and to non TD banks. I love their mobile check deposit service... Very convenient! I pay almost all of my bills with their bill pay service. Their staff is mostly courteous and they are open more than my other local banks. One amazing feature that my previous bank didn’t offer is TD’s ability to very quickly generate a bank card at their branches. Great bank. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I only use it to check the account. No transaction. To see what checks was clean, balance and able to project. No service fees. I can't say anymore than that. I was just introduce for I to check, they need to send via text a number I need to enter to get in.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Have dealt with this bank for decades without a single problem. Statements are clear and easy to understand and reconcile. In person contact with numerous branches in VT and FL easy and staff are always helpful. Only one downside, as I have considered cash in checking account, I wish they would make a concerted effort (reach out to me) to offer CD's or other products that would earn income.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I have included a car loan TD Bank/TD Finance upon my past court loan while fully being firm & not flexible with monthly amounts being included. I also had included medical areas for interfering my monthly amount for additional charges, but they have logically allowed their reductions while working within a family business style & not our rip-off style within many other Auto Loan areas.

Original review: July 2, 2019

This insurance co does biz in Canada, I do not know if they also insure in the US but premiums are very good if you have a good driving record and good credit history. I have been insuring with them for 11 years and premiums have stayed reasonable. Claims are a bit slow to be processed. Otherwise great service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: June 4, 2020

A sad story of a bank that used to be good but is now too inconvenient. After 15 years, I am closing all my accounts with them. Now the hold times are just too long (sometimes 40+ minutes). Poorly trainined service now. No abillity to speak to supervisors. Constantly making excuses like blaming other departments, and tranferring you. They most recently canceled all my debit cards due to one online bill pay they couldn't identify which i legitamatley did. Rather than just denying the one payment, or texting me, or asking for a security code, they just cancelled everything and locked me out of website so i couldn't even know what happened. Some service.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Honestly, the services at TD are pretty good. We love their no-fee credit card, their flat monthly fee, and their very friendly tellers. HOWEVER; the whole reason I felt the need to write this review is because of what I have seen happen to people close to me, and how utterly appalling I think it is. The majority of frauds and scams are (or at least used to be) based on checks. People will deposit these checks at TD Bank, send some of the money back to the scammer, and supposedly keep the rest. These can be in the amounts of hundreds all the way up to millions and most people CANNOT absorb this loss. TD will tell you after the fact that the check did not clear and the money never existed.

WHY on earth are they putting money in your account (the amount on the check) and allowing people to withdraw or spend it when it was never real and never belonged to the person in question?? People trust their banks and I can't tell you how big the sense of betrayal is when they are suddenly demanding the person "return the money to them," all while blaming the victims 100% no matter how they were defrauded, and sitting there with a lawyer who is telling you what will happen if you don't pay them back. I fear this issue is deep and far reaching in the financial industry. But until TD starts taking responsibility for THEIR contribution to fraud; giving people money that isn't real. There is no reason whatsoever to do this. Simply wait until the money is confirmed.

The second way they contribute to fraud is when someone is fraudulently taking money from your account, doing it without permission, etc, YOU, the customer are told you need to pay a regular monthly fee for each person/corporation you want to block from charging your account. How can they tell people, when they are the ones being paid to protect and securely store your money, that we must pay every month to stop someone from stealing that money, for as long as they are trying to do it? Once again, all the responsibility is put on someone else for something that is a part of their job. If TD fixed these issues I would be giving at least a 4 star rating, but it hurts my heart that anyone would go to such lengths to avoid accountability and cause further harm to victims of crime.

Original review: June 1, 2020

TD Bank Sucks! Had enough of their BS! 12 days to clear a deposit from one account to another. When I called, they blamed it on the Federal Reserve. Time to go…. Should have left them years ago. Incompetence plus!

Original review: May 22, 2020

If you're looking to set up a tax-free savings mutual fund for your children to be able to save money for their future tuition, don't ask TD for any help. TD screwed us over by incorrectly classifying our investments so that when we withdrew the money for tuition, that money was then considered part of my income by the CRA. We were then taxed over 18% of that money, wrongfully!

There's more to the story, and we even went to an external company to help us resolve the financial dispute we started with TD. All TD had to do was update a declaration form to submit to CRA and they wouldn't do that. The external vendor found TD to be liable for 50% of their mistakes and TD STILL won't admit they made a mistake, twice, for both times we withdrew money from out TFSA mutual trust fund, yes, a TAX FREE savings. Do not bank with TD, do not invest in TD and most importantly, do not trust TD. They misinformed us, wouldn't resolve their mistakes and wouldn't accept responsibility so now we lost a large chunk of savings for tuition and they don't care, nothing will happen. Good job, TD. Thank you for screwing over the little guy.

Original review: May 21, 2020

All I am going to say is that if you forget your password when you call them for assistance or help, even if you tell them... "I can't remember it cause I never had to use this password before now." They will not accept anything else but the password that you may even of made months ago and I just want to ask them "Please can you just check my account? I think there's some money transaction that I'm not sure of, so could you at least check to see if there may have been fraud or a mistake?" But Nooo. Even if you tell them to ask you any question like for instance your social or mother's maiden name or credit card bank info or even phone number whatever cause I got that all. They still won't help you in the least bit.

Today it's now been over a month since I first called them and I'm still stuck with this problem.. But still the same thing!? They always used the voice recognition in the past and I never had a problem. But they are saying the system still down. So then fix it by now. It's been over a month!!! And if you are asking yourself why don't I just go online? Well I did at first but in the middle of creating my account online the internet went dead. So then I had login problems after that and it would not allow me to go any further or start over. Yes I had to call to try and get that fixed too. But I didn't have the.... PASSWORD PASSWORD PASSWORD!!!

By the way the banks are closed inside the lobby because of Covid-19 so that couldn't work for me either!.. Oh and one more thing don't have less than 2500.00 in your checking or you will have to pay them 25.00 every time. This did not have to go this far. I even talked to the manager but got no action. This is my first bad comment I ever wrote online. Thanks!!

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor