1.45/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

TD Bank

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

602 TD Bank and TD Banknorth Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

A SITUATION THAT NEVER GETS RESOLVED; THIS IS THE MOST LUDICROUS SITUATION AND INCOMPETENT SITUATION I have ever been involved with after paying an attorney and an accountant to set money and assets up at that bank and an LLC and to make deposits into the bank -- cost 620... hour to both of them and had trusts involved with this matter. Also someone set up an accounting scheme at that bank where money was being transferred out of the bank to another account behind my back. I believe it is called misappropriation of funds and perhaps wire transferring assets out of that bank. The bank manager screwed everything up and told me she did not know what happened to the money. I have a letter from the other attorney indicating the transfers.

The account was closed down and she wrote a bank check for the remaining money completely screwing up the account structures that were existing. A third lawyer got involved and failed to produce account numbers that the money got diverted into. He signed my name on a letter to this bank and told the bank to send him account information and managed to obtain every account number as well as the deposits into the bank. At the bottom of the page he wrote money missing About 50k. The bank jerks you around; they made these mistakes and no one knows what account the money was transferred into or which bank employee facilitated this. The staff there is ridiculous. They are very inexperienced and very rude. A complete accounting should have been done as well as bringing this into the probate court for misappropriating funds. They are the worst people.

This situation never got resolved. Apparently; I paid these financial people for nothing. I have the bank records and the invoiced that I paid the CPA and the attorney. One of their biggest faults is the turnover in staff that is constant and their internal mismanagement. This is completely negligent and also inexcusable. The bank manager states she doesn't know what happened to the money. EVERYONE BYPASSES THE ACCOUNTANT. The staff changes constantly and they are inexperienced. It is not good for business; they should not be transferring money out of banks without transparency. They have poor reviews mostly because they mismanage everything. No one is held responsible and the bank holds no responsibility towards the type of employees that they hire.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Wasted 15 minutes waiting for my phone call to be answered; after the 15 minutes wait, I could hear the phone disconnected - the customer service respondent avoided the call. I called again and was kept waiting again for another 15 minutes before a respondent answered the call. During the wait, you hear a boring recording that repeats the same message over and over, driving you crazy and maybe causing you to hang-up. I believe this bank is incompetent and should be avoided by any reasonable person. It is disgusting that such businesses exist in the USA.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Wasted two hours of my day trying to contact TD and get them to give me the right department and correct address. Unbelievable the hold times, the fact that the workers have no knowledge of what department should be contacted. Everyone continued to refer me to another 1 800 number which just put me on another hold to be redirected once again. Total insanity and chaos. How can such a large corporation be so useless. I have had never had such an awful experience with people in my life.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I am getting charged 35.00 for each 15.00 monthly fee they charge. I was never told it was 15.00 for not having 100.00 in my account. I was told the monthly fee was 7.00. Then they just keep charging even after I have a zero balance. To date I owe 160.00 and they won't freeze my account or stop charging.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I requested a replacement debit card weeks ago because the numbers on my current card are fading. The rep promised he was sending it by "expedited mail". Lie #1 - he never sent it. I called again and the new rep promised to "overnight a new card". Lie #2 - never received. I then called a THIRD time and they promised to send it because the bank location I went to said their machine was broken to "burn" me a new card. The next day, I went to use my current debit card. INVALID. The idiots at TD Bank cancelled it!!!

I went to another branch in Manhattan. The stupid rep said he re-activated my card and said, "You're good to go." RIGHT! I used the card that night after the banks were closed and guess what - CARD DIDN'T WORK! I then went the next morning to ANOTHER branch. Waited almost 1 hour to see a customer service rep. She handed me a duplicate card and sent me on my way. I got into Manhattan and again - CARD INVALID!!! I called her directly and she gave me some song and dance, blah, blah, blah. Had the nerve to tell me to go to another branch near work. I could not leave work at all. Phone calls didn't resolve it - complaints on Facebook to them didn't resolve it. I now have a non-working debit card and no resolution!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I'm so disgusted and infuriated. I got my first credit card a couple of months ago (TD Cash) and put a balance of a couple thousand dollars on it due to a surgery. I paid every balance on time. I paid the previous month early so I didn't have to worry about it. Apparently, I was ignorant and didn't realize that a few purchases I made added onto the same statement. I was charged 18% of the total balance remaining. When I called them up and ask them if they could waive it this one time, they told me no. I'm basically giving them $100+ every month because I missed one payment of an additional $30 that I wasn't aware of. And like another reviewer said, you literally have to pay early. If you pay a few days before the minimum is due, it's not immediately transferred over. Which was why I paid early and now I'm penalized permanently every month because of that.

Was it my fault? I believe it is partially my fault. I read their fine print, and I was aware of charges, and what stood out to me was that I wasn't going to get interest for a year (which is great). However, I wasn't aware that transferring money over to pay a credit card bill wasn't immediately, so I paid early to avoid that issue, and I still got hit with purchase charge. Mind you, that they will NOT waiver or lower the interest rate. I'm closing my banking account with them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

TD is hands down the worst bank I have ever experienced in my life (I have over 10 bank accounts in 3 different countries). The in-person "specialists" are incompetent and will straight up spew lies to cover their incompetency. I had very bad experiences with their "top specialists" in Toronto when he misfiled paperwork and tried to cover up his errors. The phone service is also very poor. Long wait times and I had a rep hang up on me when he complained that he couldn't hear me well. I was in absolute disbelief. My advice, stay away!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I had a very bad experience from TD Bank. If you are going to have your financing by TD Renovate, be very careful, they charge 40% interest, they are money looters & cheaters. They will send you statement late and say you have defaulted the payment.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Every time I go into the bank on St. Anne's Road in Winnipeg, Manitoba I have to wait in line up to twenty minutes. Complained to the bank manager and was told I could always do my banking online. The reason I was in the line in the first place was because when I tried to deposit a cheque through the drive thru it kept on spitting my cheque out because it was handwritten and the machine couldn't read it.

I think if you're going to force new technology on your customers, make sure it works. I suggest to the TD Bank on St. Anne's Road to put an overhang over their drive thru machine because when it's raining your drive thru is of no use to anyone unless that person wants to get completely soaked from the roof run off right at the machine. This happened to me and shorted out all my electronics on the driver's door. Thanks TD.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

TD Bank. Attn: **. 260 Columbia Avenue Chapin, SC 29036. On this past Wednesday August 30, 2017, I was parked in the farthest spot away from your bank while I waited for my son to walk over from Chapin High School after dismissal. He is a senior this year and has driven himself back and forth to school every day since his freshman year. The motor in his truck blew up last week and his truck has been in the automotive repair shop getting a new engine. His truck is at Chapin Auto Repair. It was supposed to be ready by this past Wednesday, but unfortunately it was not.

I saw that the traffic was backed up and I wasn’t sure where to go to pick him up because he is not normally a car rider. So, I parked in the parking lot of your bank and messaged him to let him know where I was. The bank lot was pretty much secluded. There were only a few other cars there. Most of the spaces were available. There were maybe three other cars in the lot.

After just a few minutes, you came out and asked about me parking there and mentioned that the bank had been robbed last year and that you all get concerned when there’s a car parked there with no customers inside the back. I apologized for causing alarm and explained the situation about my son’s truck and told you that I was hoping it would be ready and I wouldn’t need to park there to wait on him after Wednesday. We had a very friendly conversation and you told me that it was fine to park there today and that you just wanted to be sure we were okay. I again apologized and said that we hoped to have his truck back in the next day or two. You again said, “It’s okay.” The conversation was very friendly and you gave me no indication that I could not park there.

Today, however, a very disrespectful female employee came out to my car with a note for me. She had a VERY NASTY attitude and was extremely confrontational with me. She accused me of coming onto your bank property and causing a big argument on Wednesday with you! She said she was standing right next to you when we spoke and she can verify that we had a big argument about me parking there and that you told me that I did not have permission to be on the property. WOW! I was shocked that she had the nerve to fabricate such a concoction. She was not standing near you when we spoke on Wednesday.

She may have been by the entrance to the bank, but she in no way heard our conversation - as she so falsely claimed. She blatantly lied to my face and this supposed argument that you and I had gotten into and then told me that the cops already had my tag number and that she would call them to come to the bank right now to have me ticketed. Where on earth were all of these lies coming from? I told her that she was telling lies about me causing an argument with you on Wednesday, but she said that she heard us yelling in the parking lot and that I was the one lying! WOW! The brazen audacity of your employee to fabricate such a tall tale says a whole lot about what kind of establishment you are managing.

If on Wednesday you had told me I did not have permission to park there, I would have made other arrangements with my son. We had fully anticipated that he would be back driving to school by yesterday. There was no reason for your employee to come out and behave so rudely when you and I had such a nice conversation on Wednesday. I even expressed that I did not want to get in trouble for parking there and you… Again… Said it was okay. Perhaps instead of you telling me it was okay to park there, you should have been more forthcoming and said I did not have permission to do so. A whole lot of hard feelings could have been prevented.

I own a small business here in Chapin and am a Special Needs Advocate. There was no need for your employee to come out and verbally attack me the way she did - making false accusations and threatening me with police involvement. If we did not have permission to park there, you should have stated such. You should not have said, “It’s okay.” Or Get this… You could have simply said, “After today, you do not have permission to park here.” That would have been simple enough to do… But you did not do that. Instead, you had your rogue employee come out today to threaten me and accuse me of arguing with you on Wednesday. Why the lies? She could have just politely said, “You cannot park here.”

You won’t have to worry about me parking at your bank ever again. You also won’t have to worry about me doing business with your bank in the future. The attitude of your employee was enough to make me not want anything to do with banking at TD Bank. If she can blatantly lie to my face like that, how could she be expected to be trustworthy with my money? I wonder how Chapin residents would feel knowing that the person they trust with their investments is willing to fabricate lies so easily? Shame on her for behaving that way, and shame on you for telling her to do it. My only other question to you is… did you lie to her about our conversation on Wednesday? What kind of business are you trying to run in Chapin?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I am a new customer at TD, and am extremely disappointed with your customer service. It is seems impossible to reach your representatives by phone. I created a new account at your branch, and the CSR created an online account for me without giving me the username. When I try to retrieve my username, it asks me to CALL customer service. I have called 5 times in 24 hours at different times of the day and EVERY TIME have had to wait on hold for more than 45 minutes without any one answering the phone. Now, I have had to visit the branch in person just to get my username retrieved and am waiting in line for the past half an hour with no help.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

While Congress is passing legislation to help consumers being taken advantage of by banks and their excessive overdraft practices, TD Bank is diligently coming up with new ways to deplete your accounts. Timestamping is the new process. TD Bank now time stamps deposits and withdrawals, and even though you transfer "which Is immediate" before anything clears and your account is never reaching a negative balance during banking hours, they rob you anyway.

In the past 30 days TD bank has robbed me of over $400 in insufficient funds fees while I transferred to keep my account positive. Once the pending items clear the account is arranged so it shows the debits the day before and your account in negative. I have screen shotted my account showing account in positive while items in pending so the balance was there before they cleared during banking hours. They go back to time stamps to find out if they show pending debits before the time stamped deposit and charge insufficient funds fees on all of the debits regardless that the account was positive before they cleared.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have read that I should have contacted TD directly (which) I have but did not register a formal complaint. The TD Branch manager did input some information into a database but I have no record for my files. Here are my concerns. While scrutinizing my August Visa bill I came across 2 charges that I did not recognize. Both were for annual renewal fees (TD Visa Travel Visa). One was for $125 and 1 for $50. I contacted Visa and they said they were for primary and secondary card holders. Ok, understood. The agent told me it was too bad that I didn't have an all-inclusive chequing account. These charges would be waived. I said that I had one for years. At first they said that they would reverse this month's fees. I told them they best go back to around 2010/2011 to do the reversals. They eventually did.

Here is the issue. This would have possibly gone on undetected by me forever. Why did this miss happen at the time of my signing up to this account and associated Visa card? Did I mention that I have dealt with TD for over 40 year? Secondly, I tried to use my Debit card last weekend while on Vacation and it came up with card cancelled. Besides the embarrassment I had no idea why. It was determined when I came prematurely to my home city to inquire as to why, that my daughter was in arrears on a SLOC and as a co-signer, they felt that, without notice, would freeze the account. Did they think I was going to leave the country of something like that considering her indebtedness was for $800.00 to bring it back to an acceptable level. Does TD not have the technology to send me a 1 or 2 day heads up to address this with my daughter or deposit this amount into that account.

I would like to know, based on these 2 situations why I should remain a customer of TD bank. They continue to have the privilege of managing my $350,000 plus Waterhouse accounts and hold my mortgage on a property valued at over $700,000. I have been called by Scotia and RBS who would truly enjoy my business going forward.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have a small personal checking account, my monthly SSDI check, goes in monthly. When I was approved for SSDI, I took my retroactive money and opened a checking/savings accounts. I was informed this could potentially safeguard me from overdraft fees. I've been told since that I couldn't get the adjoining accounts because one of the checks deposited is for my minor daughter. Okay, in the last 10 years, whenever there was a discrepancy over funds or if the credit and debit were close, I ALWAYS HAVE AN OVERDRAFT. This past weekend I downloaded their app so I could do mobile deposits, put money in early Sat. morning, It didn't show up as pending, so I took a picture of the receipt on my phone! Sunday evening there are 2 pending debits. Sure enough they charge me for the OVERDRAFT! THEY ARE LOWLIFES.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Good interest rates and very accommodating customer service. However, coordinating between the savings and checking accounts is a bit confusing and to me makes no sense. I don't understand why I have to make a withdrawal once a month. You would think they would want you to keep as much money as possible in the bank.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I closed my account a few weeks ago and my former employer deposit a check "that was not for me in my account." I was told by the company that they need my bank to reverse the funds or legal actions would have to take place. So I called TD Bank to let them know the situation. They told me because there was balance on the account they couldn't reverse the funds even though the payroll check was clearly in someone else name which make me look like I stole money from someone else check to take care of a balance was still owed on my closed account. She then stated that if the employer contact them to get the funds back they would send some back but not all. NEVER BANK WITH TD BANK, THEY ARE HORRIBLE and they don't mind committed fraud!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I was paying bills from my account today online and noticed a 29.95 bank fee on my checking account. I was on the phone inquiring about another matter and I thought I would ask about the 29.95 bank fee. I was told that it was a monthly charge the bank takes for my having the account… I was shocked and asked them how long they have been doing it. He asked me to wait while he went through a bunch of pages, came back and told me it had been at least 6 months. He said that to be sure he would need more time. I told him to look into it and that I would wait. He came back on the phone and told me that they had been withdrawing this since 1998… I did them math and it came to roughly 6,800.00. I asked him to please put the money back into my account and he asked me to hold again. He came back and said I would have to come into a branch and fill out some kind of complaint form. I'm speechless… And I think I am going to war.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Credit card - Most banks (and they are a bank) apply payments they receive the same day if received before close of business. Not TD Bank! It took several days to apply my payment, and according to my bank, they didn't accept electronic payments to credit card accounts - only check payments. Pretty shocking to me from a bank! Because of this issue, I was charged interest and a late payment on my account even though I was paying the account in full. They removed the late payment but wouldn't remove the interest.

Banking - Tried them under a promotion to receive $300 if you open a premier account. Customer service provided inconsistent guidance; two email reps claim the credit will be applied in 90 days and the phone rep claims it's 125 days. The result? You have to wait 125 days to get the $300 credit applied because "the other 2 reps" were wrong. I was told I might get the credit sooner. Yeah right. They are going to hold on to every penny as long as they can, and I'm betting I won't receive the credit even then and I'll have to call in, wait 20+ minutes for a rep, and probably still won't get it. I recommend sticking with a credit union. TD Bank isn't for me.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

They do not take care of their customers or offer any type of help. Especially if you were a victim of bank fraud that someone else did to your account. They also do not take the time to tell any customer what their options are nor do they even contact you about anything until days later. I do not recommend this bank to my worst enemy let alone to friends and others I care for. The reason for me feeling anger towards them is that I had a problem with my bank account being hacked and overdrawn and they treated me like a criminal like I conspired with the person to commit the fraud.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The bank has very helpful employees in the local branch. However, some of their policies are puzzling. In any one day I can't do an electronic transfer of funds of over $3000. Even though I have had a balance of more than I might wish to transfer on deposit much in excess of that number for a long time. I can however easily initiate a transfer from my TD Bank account directly from my brokerage account at Fidelity. As a retired banker with over 60 years in the industry I find that restriction bizarre.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Open 7 days/Week & holidays... Fraud unit is excellent... Always watching out for the customer... Any unusual purchases or charges in different states, card gets blocked.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I have been with this bank for many years even before it was TD Bank when it was Commerce Bank. I have stayed with this bank for so long because it is great in all the ways stated above. Also it has great hours when other banks are long closed. When I have had to move I have always been able to find a TD Bank. The tellers always make a point to get to know new people. Where I bank currently most of the tellers call me by name which makes it personable.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

On a Sunday in late April I realized I had not contributed to my ira yet. Walked into TD Bank and opened a CD ira bing bang boom done. IRS is happy.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The TD Visa CC due dates keep changing making it impossible to keep track of your payment dates. TD is the only Visa I know of in North America that uses this tactic with no email alert provisions for payment due dates. This is a deliberate tactic used to extort late fees from its clients. TD is the worst bank I have dealt with in 50 years of business and personal banking. They should be sued for unethical business practices.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

They sold me a line of credit and gave me a second option of line of credit. Internally I needed to have some training of paying back the line of credit as it was two different line of credits. I kept on paying back the wrong one and the interest kept on adding on the actual one. The agent who sold me that line of credit never took any time or stress to explain that. Finally, I found out that one day myself and called TD Bank about it that it was a misrepresentation given to me. Their agent escalated this issue to their manager.

The Manager actually tried to bribe me to accept a 100$ credit instead of an investigation against the agent who sold me that line of credit in a hidden way. I said NO to the 100$ credit and said to investigate the issue and do justice to me in a right manner. The manager gave me no case number, and gave me a wrong name and Employee ID. I had been calling them myself back to find out about the process as they just keep giving me some follow up dates. I wasted my so many hours with no results yet. Lets see if this could bring me any justice.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

TD Bank plays a person for a fool. I have opened an account and this bank stated as long as I have $100.00 in the account then the bank will not charge a monthly fee. About 2 years later they now tacked $150.00 more making it $250.00 so they won't charge a monthly fee. This bank is a scam. I am shopping around for a better bank that will not scam the public.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

They told me that the call will be recorded so they can provide "Legendary" customer service. Then they told me that my wait time will exceed 15 mins and that they can't wait to provide me with "Legendary" customer service. TD: Legendary customer service starts with answering the phone. It's not legendary just because you call it legendary.

A customer service rep was able to answer my questions and solve my problem, which was great. When I told him about the long wait he said that if I used the TD app to contact them that I would "jump to the front of the line" in front of everyone that made the unfortunate decision of dialing in (like I had tonight). Obviously TD wants all their customers to use the app but I'm thinking of my mother and all of the seniors out there that aren't comfortable using apps. This is very unfair to them. Wake up TD, most of them have had a lifetime to accumulate a lot more money than most of your younger customers who are more comfortable calling their bank through an app.

(BTW I had the same experience IN the bank branch on Saturday. A bank manager had to call customer service to check something that he couldn't access and he also had to wait more than 15 mins. The fact that TD doesn't give their branch managers a quicker way to resolve an issue while the customer is sitting there says something too).

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I am actually completely out of energy calling and dealing with TD Bank as I am to write this review so I'll put it in as few words as possible. Although this won't help anyone understand my situation nor how I was played with and lied to please be wise enough to consider my testimony as the truth and how terrible this company is. I wouldn't sign up to ConsumerAffairs and input all my personal information to make something up and risk being sued for defamation or slander.

TD Bank is a dishonest and unethical lying company. I applied and successfully got a equity line of credit but not at the rate I signed at. The rates never went up yet they would not honor what I signed. Hours on the phone and emails back and forth with them 100% playing games with me. I spent over 40 hours combined on the phone to come up unsuccessful. They play with you knowing you'll eventually get sick and tired. I'm very persistent and I gave up. Managers never return your call or emails. No one cares. And they basically laugh in your face by telling you to speak to a manager "if they aren't providing legendary service" while waiting on hold. They are absolute scum bags. This is a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. They're going to eventually mess with the wrong wealthy person with enough time and money to start a class action lawsuit.

Original review: July 27, 2017

Made a visit to TD bank to ask for a personal loan. While the process was being fill out, the lady started to talk about their 0% interest offer for 12 months on purchases with the TD credit card. After she explained a little more I said yes to the card and got approved. One month later I get my statement and I'm getting charged almost 19% interest on purchases made on card!! I call customer service to see why I'm being charged interest and the rep said that it's only on balance transfers and not on purchases!! After speaking to a supervisor I was told to go back to the TD bank and speak to the lady who told me it was 0% which I did and now she denied ever telling me that!! I have had it with the lies and running back and forth with TD bank and advise people to say away from this untruthful bank!!

Original review: July 25, 2017

Came to Georgia to see my son and help him out a little. Tried to get money from an ATM Friday. It ate my card. I called the customer service at TD Bank. They said they would overnight me a new card because I was in another state and there's no TD here. Bottom line is I've spent over 2 hours on the phone with them. It's Tuesday. I have no card no gas no money and a lot of runaround. Can I sue them?? That's 5 days. I've been left in Georgia with no means to get home because they won't send me my card.

Call customer service again today. “Oh I'm sorry. I'm sorry.” they say “Will overnight you another one. We accidentally sent the one that we said we overnighted before regular mail and it takes 7 to 10 business days.” In the meantime I've already lost two customers. I take care of elderly people and now I won't get my card probably until Thursday so who knows if I'll have any customers when I get home at all. Thanks TD Bank. You're the best. Just kidding. When I get back to Florida you will be gone. This is unacceptable.

TD Ameritrade expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.
    • Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.
    • Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.
    • Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.
    • Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.
    • Best for: TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.
    Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg