TD Bank and TD Banknorth
1.09/5
Get expert advice Hire a pro
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor. Compare the top 3 fiduciary financial advisors near you.
FIND MY ADVISOR

TD Bank

808 TD Bank and TD Banknorth Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 13, 2019

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CARD. First of all, it is TD Bank not Ally (itself) which manages this credit card - so you don't get the benefit of the consistently good/just service of Ally. TD seems to have a history of not fulfilling the "welcome bonus" of $100.00 and of course, they didn't honor it for me after I spent $1800 (advertisement is >$500) on the card within 3 months of receiving it. Furthermore, you cannot redeem cash rewards or even statement credit until you reach $25 in your rewards balance. Moreover, you're only going to generate 1-2% cash rewards on each purchase. I canceled my account after over $1900 in expenditures, and did not receive a dime in rewards. It's not worth it. Trust me. Get a Discover It or Chase Freedom - or ANYTHING ELSE. Terrible, terrible experiences with this card.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I emailed customer service a very simple question about my online bank statements and they responded with a copy and paste answer that wasn't related to my question. I responded trying to clarify, but received another copy and paste email that was also not related to my question. So I tried clarifying again using multiple screenshots and I DID NOT RECEIVE ANY RESPONSE. I then contacted the person's manager and DID NOT GET A RESPONSE FROM THE CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER. I continued to forward my question for weeks to no avail. I will be closing my account because TD clearly doesn't care about me.

Get expert buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have had a bank account with TD Bank for years and it has always been subpar. But the final straw was when I went to a TD ATM to withdraw $500 and the ATM never gave me the money. After calling the bank they put a claim in to review the transaction. The employee I spoke to said it would help to call the branch to see if they found any issues with the ATM when they came in.

When I called the bank two women I spoke to said they did find some issues but they couldn’t help because I put a claim in. Since I followed exactly what I was supposed to do I am being punished. It has been 10 days and I still haven’t seen MY money back. If the ATM gave me too much money they would be in my account to take it back the next day. Every time I call to check the status they give me another future date that it might be given back to me. I am just glad that it wasn’t my last dollar and I needed to feed my family with it. Beware when using TD Bank ATMs.

Original review: March 9, 2019

My card info was stolen. Someone bought plane tix with the info. Call canceled the card. Asked for my money to be returned. I was informed that I had to wait till it posted to the account and then I could file a dispute. Then I would have to wait 5-12 business days to see my money. So. guilty till proven innocent. Closed all account with that bank.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Deposited the check in the amount of $700. However, the ATM read it as $200, despite a clear designation of the amount both in digits, and in very distinct letters. I came to the bank two days later, hoping to have the issue resolve ASAP. Had to spend half an hour there the first time, filling out the request. A few days later, came back again, because the issue had not been resolved, and I was told to wait... 10 business days! In other words, 2 weeks! So the bank makes an error, the error is very obvious, as they can see the image of the check, but yet they refuse to release MY money to me! That's in addition to the fact, that this is NOT the first occurrence of that nature, there have been other instances similar to these, and there had already been a request made to report the faulty ATM. NOBODY cares.

The bank has enough money, it does not need to buy food or medication. So after wasting two visits to the bank to sort out this issue, I just called the bank. USELESS. The money won't be released until "they complete the dispute". The dispute with themselves. And you, customer, can drop dead. First the government shut down, then the banks screw you. What are we turning into? Will be closing the account as soon as I get my money back. Meanwhile, will be addressing this with BBB. This is nothing, but a fraud.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: March 8, 2019

I am extremely unhappy with TD Mortgage. My biggest complaint is that the online app makes no allowance to pay additional principal. If you add additional principal it will sit in the account un-applied for as long as 2-3 weeks. I have made calls, sent messages, talked to my branch manager to no avail. Furthermore I have been told 3 different ways to pay additional principal by using bill pay, all get the same result. It’s as if the bank set out to make paying principal down as difficult and inconvenient as possible to garner more loan interest. What they are doing is criminal. I am considering filing a class action lawsuit.

Original review: March 5, 2019

As I signed into my account as I did many many times before, they wanted to change my account to add my phone number for "security" reasons. Due to the recent disasters with Facebook, I decided to read the opt-out paragraphs. When reading the opt-out paragraphs I found out that they were using a different corporation, and it said "Fiserv and its affiliates may receive names, domains, addresses, password, telephone and device numbers the content of messages and data files and other data files and information provided by you and other sources in connection with the out-of-band authentication service".

Well this looks very much to me like they are giving my information or selling my information to anyone else or the highest bidder. We must as a society stop these corporations from stealing our identity and selling them to other people. I have liked TD Bank for years, but when I saw this, it looks as it if they're selling us out just like Facebook and all the rest of them are.

Original review: March 3, 2019

So I guess TD Bank changed its BusinessDirect login and merged it with retail bank username accounts? I don't know but out of nowhere the website completely changed and does not have BusinessDirect links to login to my client accounts for statements. Now I'm locked out of the service for no reason at all. They had to "change my User ID" but didn't tell me what they changed it to. I have several clients that I do business with and am granted read only access to bank accounts. Now I've got to bother all of these clients to use their administrative access to correct TD Banks error in judgment. TD Bank is by far the worst bank to use for small businesses. Just absolute garbage.

Original review: March 2, 2019

TD Bank Stole My Money. Do not use TD if you value security. Someone used my card's info to spend $391. TD confirmed that no security info was used during the transaction (chip, zip code, cvv), but TD determined the charge was legitimate. I will not be getting my money without pursuit of legal options. I have been a cardholder at TD Bank for 10 years, I have never had an issue with fraud. Their commitment to security and customer loyalty is disappointing. Do not use TD Bank.

Original review: March 1, 2019

TD bank online service is the worst, unprofessional and rude. I have been banking with this bank over 10+ and the experience I got today from the online service I hope no one ever has to go through that. I tried to use my debit card to make a large purchased today and it was declined cause I went over my $2000.00 a day limit. I called customer service, the first person picked up hang up the phone on me so I called back. The second person picked up, said I wasn’t answering the right questions so I asked to speak to a supervisor, when he came on the phone he was no better. I felt I was getting nowhere with them so I jumped in my car while he was on the phone and drove to a TD branch so one of the tellers can look at my ID and explain to the customer service online supervisor that all the information I was giving is true. Well you would think that would work it didn’t! He still told me unfortunately the answers I provided was wrong and it wasn’t me??‍♀️

Original review: March 1, 2019

Went through drive-thru and dealt with a horrible teller. Her demeanor was pathetically a slacker. Called customer service to inform them of the situation and was told by Victoria that it was the microphone rather than the service. Victoria was speaking for the teller when she wasn’t present when the situation occur. Victoria must have ESP/PMS syndrome.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Today, my husband and I received letters about closing all our accounts in TD Bank, after 5 years being their clients, paying all the loans from these accounts, paying all communications and all expenses! Having there personal, general and business accounts! Naturally without explanation of the reason! How such a thing can happen to good citizens, for me it is not just inconvenience, but I consider it a violation of all human and civil rights! For 5 years they used my money, and now I have to transfer all accounts in two weeks and spend my time and nerves on it!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I open TD Bank checking account and I get the runaround and been told to go TD Bank branch which is one hour away from me and the rep told me that they couldn't verify me over the phone and I told them that and they don't understand. I called TD Bank rep and they told me that my account was fine - that I didn't need to do anything with the account. I called yesterday and I get told that my account was restricted and I cant gain access to my account. I was trying to get into my TD Bank account to pay a fee they asked me to pay and when I try to login it said "your account is restriction" for no reason. I feel like TD Bank is trying to scam people into banking with them. They up and decided to close your account without telling you.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Awful customer service. Very rude. My elderly mother made a simple math mistake (she’s in her 80s) and this bank charged her overdraft fees of over $700. Example: electric bill had 2 overdraft fees in one day. Did not have a chance to put more money in account. Didn’t know banks could do this! We had a very bad experience. No longer have account at this bank & never will!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This bank is the worst ever! My accounts were frozen and I was not even notified. How embarrassing when attempting to purchase items at a large food chain with dozens of people in line behind me. After inquiring why my bank card was not working, I was informed that TD Bank's fraud department would notify me. They never did. Two months later I was told that I made an illegal transaction?! Apparently, I was not allowed to have my daughter's tax refund deposited into my account. Interesting, since there was not an issue with that for the last two years!

Overall, my accounts were frozen for almost six months, I had to call almost every week to get an update, and their "fraud department" never contacted me. The manager at the bank decided to add my daughter's name to my accounts and we had to still wait about three weeks after that before we could access funds. Needless to mention, we withdrew every penny and closed both the saving and checking accounts.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I travel a lot and once in a while I miss a monthly payment or am late in payment. No problem - they charge a $35 late fee (make millions off this every month but ok fair enough). I typically make a $175 payment toward a balance of $3000. This month I received my statement showing I had a back payment of $72.00 due in March (Yes $72.00). Ok no problem with that. I also received a letter around the same time of past due payment. Ok got the point.

Then today, Saturday, we received a phone call at 8:30 am and message was left regarding a debt owed. My wife got upset and asked me what is going on with TD. I said, "Nothing to my knowledge." Then we received another call at 1:30 pm same day and message was left stating an attempt to collect dept. My wife got the voicemail message and was getting more upset. Finally called TD today, Saturday, and lodged my complaint and concern and apologized for being the low life, scum bag, derelict they made me out to be (No not really). All this for $72 that was going to be made on the next payment. Hasta la vista TD!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

mbna.ca now requires a login phone verification, it sends a security code via SMS to mobile device (text) or voice message to landline. This procedure does not allow and block access to an online account for customers who travel and have NO telephone number or have NO access to the phone at the moment to verify their login. And mbna.ca does not offer any solution to resolve the problem it intentionally created for such customers! They offer you to call 1-613-907-3505 (when you have no access to the phone!).

TD MBNA MasterCard brainless executives have created a problem, deny help and assistance, and leave the customers in trouble when they are abroad and most vulnerable. They realize own stupidity and say, "We're listening to your feedback and are actively working on more options for when you travel. We're excited to bring them to you soon." Meanwhile more and more people get hurt.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I've had an account with TD Business for 2 years now and it's been the worst 2 years ever. DO NOT BANK WITH TD BANK! If you have money in your account and want to get it out (let's say you are on the West Coast and need to send a wire) IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. You need to locally step into a branch. I had to fly into New York so that I can ACTIVATE my account to send a wire transfer. I activated it and did not send a wire within 30 days. My account got SUSPENDED again! So now when I need to send a wire very urgently (it's been approx 35 days since I stepped into a local branch). I CANNOT even though I have already authorized TD business direct and allowed wires. IT'S MY MONEY, and TD BANK will NOT allow you to send it ANYWHERE!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

DO NOT get or use the TD Bank credit card. You cannot dispute transactions online. You have to call them in order to dispute a transaction and it is a complete hassle. Also, I cancelled my card in Sept and a company was allowed to force through a charge in January, even though my card was cancelled. I disputed the charge and they outright REFUSED to take it off my account. There are so many better cards out there that offer more and are "with the times" - they are so old and archaic with the way they operate and their customer service stinks.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was banking with TD Bank for 5 years. I thought they were wonderful. But something started to change at the bank after 5 years and I'm not really sure where it led to, except for very unhappy consumers. If TD Bank is not making money off of you they don't want you there. That means if you are accurate and make few mistakes they will find some other way to make money from you. They have become vultures in a sense. They sell out to anyone that you may have a discrepancy with on overdue debt.

Many of their clients have come to me with descriptions of deposits where they receive no receipt. They then check immediately before leaving the counter, and see the deposit was not made from their phone. I've heard of those who left with deposit slips they did not check the deposit slip and the amount was incorrect, always much lower than what deposited. Now I am hearing of unsubstantiated charges on not just checking account numbers, but also with debit cards, which leads one to believe inside jobs. Again I reiterate I don't know what's happening with TD Bank, my best advice is don't Bank there. You are not safe with your money there!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

If I could give this bank -5 star I would. I never leave reviews, but the fact that my husband I are experiencing what we are due to the negligence and inexperience of a bank employee I almost feel obligated to share so no one else loses almost $1000 to bank fees!!! It started with my husband joining my account. It took 3 weeks to get issued a debit card when it should only take 5 days or so. At least that's what we were told. After that inconvenience cleared up my husband went into the branch to close his account and finally pick up his debit card. He sat with Solange Queliz who told him numerous incorrect things. I know this because I fact checked her with another branch.

This all took place on November 8th, 2018. He sat with Solange who told him, "It appears as though Paypal is attempting to hit the account." He asked ways he could prevent further attempts. She said there are none. He asked to close the account and left with his debit card not thinking twice about the encounter he had just had. He squared away with PayPal and things were fine until January 4, 2019 when I checked my bank account and saw almost $1000 gone to offset his "closed" account.

I spoke to the useless branch manager who just seemed like she is covering the employees mistake. I've spoken to another employee within the branch who was more helpful. She directed me to corporate. Corporate was no help either. They directed me back to the branch. I was being jerked around. No one wanted to help reverse these charges. This back and forth has gone on for almost a month now and it seems as though no one will issue money back for THEIR mistake.

I wouldn't be nearly as mad and upset had the conversation between him and Solange been that there was an outstanding negative balance on the account therefore she was unable to close it. After speaking to her she fabricated an entire story saying she printed out his statement and asked him if he wanted to pay the balance to get the account to a $0 balance. Needless to say none of that ever happened. I am beyond furious at how every single TD bank employee of West Caldwell has handled this situation. My entire family has multiple accounts with this bank. I know myself I am switching after this disaster. I would never use this bank again nor would I recommend it to my worst enemy.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I took a credit line with TD bank for furniture I bought at Raymour and Flanigan and had 6 month deferred interest. When the 6 mos was due I had $1800 left to pay off. They charged me $600 interest from the amount I took not the amount owed which is robbery. I was not advised this and any standard rate is supposed to be interest from what is the balance. Customer service would not help, was rude, left me on hold so long so you will hang up when I asked to speak to a supervisor over 30 min. Supervisor would not assist or help.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

In order to keep daily balance of my account up to agreement, I rushed to put cash. Still accumulated maintenance fee. Called to customer service. First representative was rude and firm, asked to speak to supervisor. Marcus, the supervisor had no better manners. He was ready to say me "bye" as to customer with my direct deposits and daily use of the TD debit cards. So be it... Bye, TD Bank with your rude customer service representatives. Hello, Chase!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I used to like banking with TD, I was with them for 12 years. But 2 days ago I received a letter from them saying that they were closing my accounts in 3 weeks unless I do it before then, there was a number to call if I had any questions and they would respond to me within 24 hours. Since they gave no explanation why they were closing my accounts I called the number. I got a call from TD the next day and I was informed that TD no longer wanted to do business with me. When I asked why he said that he didn't have that information. When I asked if someone who did have that information could call me back he said no and hung up on me. I don't understand why they won't tell me why they are closing my accounts and I don't think I've ever been so disrespected in my life. Because of the way they are treating me I can't recommend anyone bank with them. 0 stars.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My company opened an account at TD in Toronto in 2011. We no longer do business nor travel to Canada. We had a couple of thousands CAD remaining in the account which is now less than 500 CAD due to 39 CAD per month of fees. We tried to stop the bleeding but basically we would need to travel to Canada and go physically to a branch. We cannot wire using internet or phone. If we close the account they will mail a cheque to the address on file. We moved and in order to change the address we would need to go to a branch.

In summary, the bank will continue to take 39 CAD per month for the next 11 months until the balance is 0 and they will then close the account. Worst bank experience and a real insult to modern banking age. It is a disgrace so I can only recommend shopping around and asking the right questions before giving your money to a bank. We are literally giving them our money and getting nothing in exchange. Hope this helps and hope no one will make the same mistake as we did.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

This bank has been the absolute worst bank I have ever dealt with in my life. When I first opened my account, the bank was still Commerce. After the acquisition is when things started to change. Due to misinformation, I was charged several hundred dollars in Overdraft fees. Their representatives are incompetent and give you the wrong information so that they can steal money from working class people. I have never had these issues with any other bank. I have officially closed my account and will not ever bank with them. I will also warn family and friends. It seems like several people have had the same issues. The way this bank operates should be ILLEGAL.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

TD BANK decided to CLOSE my business account after being with them for 12 years! With NO explanation, NO warning, NOTHING! It was to close Jan. 25, 2019. I called the # provided, but of course NO ONE would tell me why they were closing it, and everyone I spoke to was indifferent. Like a robot. Today is Jan. 22, 2019. And, guess what? They ALREADY CLOSED IT! I do NOT have access to my account. And worse, do NOT have access to my business funds THAT I NEED TO KEEP MY BUSINESS RUNNING! Are you serious? Called customer service who was of NO help. They told me I had to go into a branch. AMERICA'S most convenient bank? I DON'T THINK SO! I believe this is bordering being an ILLEGAL closing of my account! CRIMINALS!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I got Financing for my Samsung Phone. Samsung was going to give me a $300 credit to send in my old phone. One day I was looking at my account and saw that it was charged an additional $300. It was because they never got the old phone back. That is because they never sent me the call tags to return the phone. They stated they sent me 2 emails with a call tag to send the old phone back. I never received them. Samsung even stated they could see that I have opened all my emails from them except those 2. I NEVER got them. So after several months of fighting with Samsung the manager there his exact words were, "Sue us!". Really??? This is from an employee at Samsung who even agreed with my issue?

Then when I disputed this charge with TD, they took a month to send me a letter spewing the same garbage excuse Samsung tried to use. SO I stopped paying because I was infuriate. Now there is a $227.71 of late fees on top of the additional $300 that I should not have to pay. So I call up twice to talk to people and the first person tells me that they can only waive 3 late fees. Then they say they are no longer able to talk to me that I have to go to their collections department. That person tells me the first person is incorrect and that they are only allowed to waive 1 late fee. I used to work with a bank and I know for a fact they can waive all of them if I was willing to pay off the rest of the account. Which I conceded to the additional $300. I just asked them for some help so that they would get their money and I would be free of this account.

Everyone that I spoke to was rude, unwilling to help, unwilling to negotiate so that the account can be paid off. So now ALL of the money is going to go into filing bankruptcy and they are not going to get a dime. Bankruptcy doesn't scare me. I truly tried to get this resolved today but they are not willing to help anyone. After this I will be filing a complaint with the BBB. I even asked them to waive the $300 and I will pay the late fees and they refused. So I tried. TD will never never EVER get my business again or anyone I am associated with and any chance I get to write a bad review consider me first in line.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have banked with TD Bank for a couple of years now, I called the number on the back of the card, to check the balance, and to my surprise I had an overdraft fee of $20. It gets better. After several hours went by I called the number on the back of the card again, only to find out now it’s $120 overdraft fee. I’m furious now, so I called to speak to a representative, which whom I spoke to a young lady in New Jersey. She assured me there were no illegal activity going on with my account, so I asked why wasn’t I notified about this overdraft via email or text message. She then stated, "Oh we can go over your transactions with you," I then stated I will be closing my accounts here. If you’re thinking about doing business with this bank, think again, very shady people!! Lesson Learned!! Never Again!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Whatever you do, do not, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES create an account with TD Bank. This company will screw you out of your money and will even basic transactions a hassle. Everyone at customer support is either borderline **, or speaks at a frequency of -2. I have been so frustrated with the lack of professionality with the company. Literally any bank is better than TD Bank, unless you like having your money taken from you.

TD Ameritrade expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

• Best for: TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg