TD Bank

Compare Online Brokers

Research top Online Brokers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We paid off the car and TD bank representatives keep telling different dates that when they have sent the lien release letter. Every time you call they take sweet time before they come on phone. Bad bank to do anything with. After reading Reviews online and my personal experience they are no good.

I received a Canadian check from my parents. Rather than deposit in my bank (BOA), I decided to open a TD account as I was told the processing fee was less. They gladly took my check for $8600 and the assistant manager told me my funds would be available "in 5-10 business days." Had I deposited with BOA, I would have had access to MY Money the next day. After miserable long conversations over the phone, I was informed, "It will be 30 days." On the next call, I was told, "It could be up to 60 DAYS." "It has to CLEAR COLLECTIONS, IT HAS TO CLEAR FRAUD."

I am a professional working for the federal government. I told them to hang up, call my facility, then ask my secretary to put the call through. Of course they did not. Then, I gave them the phone number for my dear parents. Of course they didn't call them either. This bank should be sued. I wonder if and when I will ever get MY MONEY! I've been receiving money from Canada since graduate school 28 years ago and NEVER, EVER HAVE I RECEIVED SUCH A HARD TIME. I even asked to return my check to me. Of course they can't because they cashed it. Where oh where is my money?!?

Customer service, computer system and hours are good. But I too have been a victim to TD Bank's RE-ORDERING of the debits for the purpose of gaining more overdraft fees. They are CROOKS because they intentionally re-order the debits to increase the overdraft fees while giving you a BS story that they are trying to help you pay the larger bills. They are filthy immoral people. BUT I have good news for everyone. Cryptocurrencies like BITCOIN are being legalized all around the world and being accepted as legal currency. They are installing thousands of Bitcoin ATMs and issuing Bitcoin debit cards. Crooked banks like TD Bank will soon be a memory of the past. MESSAGE TO TD BANK...YOU WILL SOON NOT MATTER. THANKS TO CRYPTOCURRENCIES. As I warned blockbuster in a phone call, if you don't conform, you will be no more.

Their customer service are really bad with help. They will show you a balance on your account and you will still have the money available and they will just charge you overdraft fee for no reason saying you have overdrafted. I am not really satisfied with their bank service. Please think twice before getting this bank. It's really bad.

Customer service as well as branch service is non existent. Too many complaints and stories to list. It is obvious that their business model is not to pay the employees hence the complete lack of competent customer service. While my experiences have been pleasant it seems that the employees lack basic skills hence the poor performance. I have been standing in front of branch employees of some tenure and they lack a basic understanding of the way banks work. Closed all my accounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

My 14 year old went into TD Bank where he has 2 accounts. He had only change and needed dollar bills ($5). He was told he needs to go buy/get coin holders in order to deposit the money into his account! They are the furthest thing from banking human and awful to children. My next child went to a different bank already!

When trying to use the Send money feature, we had endless troubles. The information related to Send money seems to be separate from the account in general and any attempt to correct it leads to fraud alerts. Even after reassured that we would have no more problems and following instructions exactly, the account was put on hold yet again. DON'T USE THIS BANK. Although the representatives are pleasant, there is some horrible mismanagement going on and what you are told on one call will be directly contradicted on the next.

The bank is stealing money from people left and right... I made a deposit for more than $4000 dollar to cover a check of $2880. The bank delayed my deposits availability and cleared the check to run the account negative, then fees start hitting my account (5 fees), do you believe gas charge for $20 cost me $35 fees. Shame on you. Stay away from this bank. I will definitely closing my personal and kids saving account. Go to Hell... TD.

Do not believe their ads. They do not bank human. I experienced how they can care less about the working class people. I deposited my employer checks and they froze my account. The checks were local bank checks within the same city. I couldn't pay my rent, buy groceries, get gas to work. I am a single person that doesn't have anyone that can help me out. I tried calling branches, managers, customer service and nobody could do anything to expedite the funds. I have to wait 6-10 days for a local employer check to clear. I'm not sure how I will make it. Just waiting so I can take out my money and close the account. Do not bank here. They hold your money, treat you like a number. I was a previous Chase customer and never had those problems, everything cleared fast but the reason I switched to TD was due to lower monthly fee. Which my account is in negative status due to the freeze.

I went looking for a new bank when Key Bank started really dropping the ball on my accounts and found TD. I use TD Ameritrade trading platform and never had any issues so I gave TD Bank a try. It is like night and day from the great customer service to the deposit availability. I was in a jam and their discretionary overdraft protection covered a transaction $500 over my balance! I put the cash in the next morning. The important takeaway is that they are customer focused and not fee/profit pirates raiding your accounts.

I called the Maine office location and I spoke to Leila. I had to dispute a charge. By far the best customer service I have ever received from any company. I never do reviews but for the way Leila handled my claim I had to acknowledge her. Thank you Leila from Maine. You assured I will forever be a TD Bank customer.

At the start of 2017 and the end of 2016, $1500 was stolen from my account. The customer service representative to spoke skeptically swore that it was impossible that anyone other than myself took the money, because it was withdrawn using a chip. Come present day, news reports claim that the chip is doing more harm than good. However, my money is still nowhere to be seen. Additionally, as of recent, 400 dollars in overdraft fees has been charged to my account, although, I never authorized charges to this bank.

We have a joint account with my wife at TD Bank. Her card was duplicated over a week ago and someone withdrew money somewhere in Manhattan from her our account. The bank blocked the card after the 2nd and 3rd try. However we were still not aware of it because TD Bank has never advised us on that!! Why you don't advise your customer of a serious incidence??? So this fraudulent activity occurred and we realised that days after while checking our account statement by chance. If we haven't realised that issue how we are supposed to take measure and also get back our money?

Later on we called TD Bank and they asked us to get a police report. Same thing had happened me appx 10 years ago with another bank and I was never asked a police report. Because since bank was the aware of the issue they had figured out all this process themselves with the police. However TD Bank asked for it but that's okay. We walked in a police station and managed it with an inspector. However now TD bank is asking us to get the hard copy of the police report and fax it or take it to an branch... According to police this will take roughly 2 weeks. I checked with some friends and colleagues who had the same issue and none of them went through this process. Actually even polices itself was surprised saying "why bank can't manage it with the police report number"... TD Banks is not a good customer service while the other banks are handling the issue themselves and not making their customers lose a lot time.

Also just checked today with TD Bank if there is a way to set a limit for withdrawing money or getting a kind of approval text message to avoid those kind of fraudulent issues but nothing!! There is no way to stop someone to withdraw money from my bank account if it is duplicated or so... How am I supposed to. My personal experience with TD bank was good so far with 7 days open branch next to my place however this incidence changed my idea. They basically failed and absolutely security measures are not enough.

I have two rental units in Windsor. Upper Unit tenant moved out April 1, 17. Lower Unit tenant Jason moved to Upper Unit April 1, 17. New tenant David moved in Lower Unit April 1, 17. Jason who used to rent lower unit has set up pre-authorized direct deposit for $625/month for past 2 years. On Feb. 6, 17, Jason brought me a new pre-authorized direct deposit form with his signature, new rent amount of $875/month and starting date of April 1, 17 on it. He also paid $250 in cash for new last month rent of $875 (He paid $625 in cash as last month rent two years ago when he moved in lower unit). On same day (Feb. 6, 17), new lower unit tenant David brought me his pre-authorized direct deposit form with his signature, rent amount of $650/month and starting date of May 1, 17 on it. He paid $1300 in cash at same time for his first and last month rent (first month is April 1,17).

On the same day (Feb. 6, 17), I brought 2 forms and $1550 in cash to TD bank and processed the direct deposit set up and deposit the cash. On April 1, 17, I checked on TD bank website and found out there is a $625 direct deposit NOT $875. So I went to TD bank the other branch the same day and talked to a front desk lady. She went online changed the amount from $625 to $875 for me effective May 1, 17. She suggested me to go knock on door and ask my tenant to give me $250 balance.

On April 1, 17 the same day, I went to the branch where I originally processed the forms with. I talked to the front desk gentleman about this hoping they can solve this for me. He asked me for copy of the record. I lost all the papers. So I asked if I can get the copy of the record from bank. He said yes. After he talked to the manager about this. The manager came out and told me there is no record in the bank. I was surprised that a bank can easily lose the record. I now have trust issue with TD bank.

On April 2, 17 I called TD bank customer service hoping they would help me out. They told me they will send this issue to their head office and s.b. will call me in a couple of days. Today is April 5, 17. I received a call from TD Bank head office. A lady did speak with me. She asked me if I have record. I said I lost them. She said TD bank cannot have record if I don't have them. She also ask me to bring the record to TD bank if I have them. Otherwise, she will cancel all the pre-authorized payment. Same time, she said my behavior in one of the branches on April 1, 17 was not acceptable. What a unfair harassment!

I have a complicated issue but it will be kept short.The way they supposedly help you with checking and debit card problems is not even worth it. Especially if someone used your card and banking information to hack your account. I was in this problem with them. I signed an affidavit with them because it was the first step to dealing with the fraud. I also had them file over the police report. What they also failed to do was tell me that I would have to pay the fees and the interest adding up even when you pay what you owe. They also do not know how to investigate bank fraud. They also seem to be on the side of those who commit the fraud against your account.

When they were Commerce Bank they would alert you of anything that compromised your account. They would temporarily close it and work with you to pay it off. Since they became TD they have changed their way of dealing with customers. Especially in the fraud section. They are aware that in this time in which we live the vicious things that are being done to obtain information and damage peoples accounts but they do not care at all. They are only worried about their shareholders. They possibly may even be in cahoots with those who commit fraud and not say anything to them.

In my case I did make my effort and I did pay them off but it was not enough. They closed the new account they opened for me. The person who spoke to me was harsh and hateful to me. I want to sue and make this be known to them because I am not going to go away and I will fight to save my name. Because you don't know what TD can do if they hate you for making an unwise mistake.

I keep getting harassing calls for months. I had switched my number to a new one. I wanted a different area code. I had their client Alberto old number. I have told them this 50+ times. I am not him. This is my number. They do not care and have stressed me, woken me, I work 12 hour days. I do not understand why companies can harass people who are not their customer! This bank is the worst bank ever. They do not care about people and do what they want to do and have no regulations or rules for their employees to follow, unless they say keep calling even if that person is not them. No one changes phone numbers in their stupid world. I paid to change my number not them!

The CEO needs to get a clue and do something about this! You have only calling centers for your HQ in NJ, what? I cannot get my issues resolved since November 2016. I am not Alberto. TD Bank needs to close its doors and let real businesses take of people. You guys are incapable of deleting a phone number from your computer! A 3 year old could. I am sick of their harassment! I am going to fight back and sue them! You have the worst customer satisfaction ever.

This truly has been a terrible experience. I had my accounts frozen and all my items bounced like insurance car payment and rent. I have been in the branch consistently for three weeks and I mean almost all the banks in Cambridge of TD. I have spoken with every branch manager and many many managers at all the branches. Still after being assured no more problems occur they continue daily. I've called front department daily as well cause the branch can't deal with anything. It has come to the point where the front people have told me not to call cause it's the branch they need to speak with. But yet still cannot use my account.

I spoke with branch manager and she assured me they would credit me for all the bounced payments and did not want me to close account. This was a week and a half ago. And still can't even use debit. I have spent 500 plus on cabs and I wait at the branch for hrs at a time on the phone... Just ridiculous. This is my main account where my payroll goes in and other forms of my pay and they treat me like a criminal. This is truly the worst bank. I have RBC and CIBC and they are amazing. Bank with anyone other than them.

I am the very loyal customer of TD from last 17 years. Although I always appreciate their service as most of their branches provided excellent customer service. Last week I badly need money as I am jobless nowadays, so withdraw some money from my RRSP private account and company provided a cheque. I go to Matheson Blvd Mississauga (1275) branch to deposit. The teller Paul said that I need to discuss with my Manager as this cheque is coming from other Bank and he needs some advice from his Manager. He came back that it will take 5 business days when I am able to use this money, I explain to him that I need this money immediately and "I am quite a customer. Can you please make it possible."

He called his Manager Mark and explain him about my request. But Mr. Mark is very blunt and he mentions that he cannot help. I will get access to money after 5 days. Although today 3 days already gone and I still not able to withdraw my own money. My bills that need to pay to get delayed and I get some penalty as well due to delay payment. I am really surprised how these banking system treating the working class although they are running on our deposits and the interest we are paying. I really want they should bring some humility in their services instead of just 2+2=4.

For a small business, this bank is horrific and has degraded through the years. The online banking is NEVER accurate so there's no way to keep track of your finances. I was actually instructed by customer service to use my checkbook but I write one check a month, all the rest is online banking!!! They also hold large checks for longer than one day and play with the $100 advance from checks at their will, both of which caused me to go into overdraft and get hit with $175 in fees, even though a $25K check is in their bank and I've been told yesterday and today it will clear tomorrow so we shall see. Going into a branch is worse, two of three people have no idea how to do things you need done so you have to go back or endure wasting your time, which leads me to number 3. Their on hold time on the phone has tripled, it's never 5 or 10 minutes but always 20 to 30 (or longer). I'm looking for a new bank.

TD Bank charges $7.00 to cash their own check! My agency recently switched from Republic Bank to TD. I'll never understand why! I patronized Republic for 2 yrs and never had a problem. Republic doesn't charge to cash their own checks. TD opens later and charges! I hope my agency goes back to the much classier bank.

Now, I'm all for testing the waters and hanging on when things are bad. But, I've had it quite up to here with TD Bank. I had $180 in my checking not accounting for my savings which has some parts to this whole thing I'm about to go into. I made transactions that totaling to $73.45. With pending transactions you must wait until they pend.

Now I got paid as well and transferred $100 to my savings which gives me a balance of now $146.55 accounting for the deposit. I then had to buy an Uber from the airport which was $20.22 adding onto the pending of $93.67. Now I'm not mathematician but deducting that from $146.55 would not cause me to go into an overdraft of nothing. I didn't use my card since I came back from the vacation I was on... then what do you know I had -$17.46 in my account. HOW?! I speak to a representative and he's trying to explain how pending transactions work like I'm stupid when I write down everything.

So I then transfer money from my savings to my checking. By now the pending transactions cleared on my account. Left with $3 and like clockwork another overdraft fee and THE SAME transactions came up when they were just cleared. Idk what TD is doing but they owe me money. Absolutely horrible customer service. I am clearing this up in person and I am closing the account soon.

This is a terrible bank. I will not recommended to anyone. They scammed my money and left me with a collection balanced. I opened a checking account online with TD Bank with $100. After a few weeks, I found out that they started charging me for all these weird fees that I didn't sign up for. First, they charged me a "Paper Statement" fee, then a monthly maintenance fee. When I checked my account balance online, I was only left with $24!! **!! I contacted the customer service to close my account, but they refused by telling me that my balance needs to be $0 in order for them to close my account. I was out of the country with limited internet access at the time, so I decided I will resolve the issue when I'm back in the United States. So when I returned home after 3 months out of the country, I found all these collections letter from TD Bank saying that I owe a $21 balance... a double **!!

I called the customer service again asking what's going on, they transferred me to all these different departments because no one knew how to resolve this issue. So finally someone from the Collections Department told me that I had to go to a branch to close my account. When I arrive to the branch, the first thing that they asked if I want to pay my $21 balance. I explained to them that I don't owe them anything and have asked many times to close my account. The woman at the bank refused to issue me a refund and telling me the reason they can't close my account until it's $0 balance because it's good customer service for them to present the closed account check to their customer IN PERSON!! I can't believe my ears! I lost all my money that I used to open the account, Plus, I owe them $21 after TD Bank refused to close my account. WHAT A SCAM!! THIS PLACE SUCKS, DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

First: There's a promo online, meet the requirements and there's a bonus. Well I couldn't do it online which is required, so I went into a branch. They had to get approval. They didn't tell me that the direct deposit has to be minimum $2500. Second: Next day added wife on account for joint. She couldn't be added because another customer had her social. Took days to clear this up. So this other customer, TD didn't check her SS card for verification. Third: Deposited a bank check for a large sum. It was on hold for almost 2 weeks. I had funds in my savings to cover it, plus the manager could have moved it along, she didn't. Fourth: The TD Bank App doesn't work correctly. Your CC may show up there, but you have to log in separately for CC. In general, transactions are delayed in all accounts.

TD BANK on 94th Broadway, NY, NYC is the worst of them all. So unprofessional. I went to cash a check with a lady named ** who attended to me and it ended up being a living nightmare. She decided to go to her desk, have me stand there, and wait for 30 minutes near the teller area. I didn't even know why I was waiting so long. Comes to find out is she wanted to review the TD Bank check. She ended up calling the person who gave me the check five times which is unreal. I never seen anything like it and since the person didn't pick up the phone she contacted Fraud services and then froze the person's account. Only because the person didn't pick up the phone so I finally went to her desk to see what the problem was and she told me that I cannot contact the person who gave me the check myself, she has to contact the person... who is she to tell me what to do??

That's when I said "what in the world is going on? Am I being racially profiled?" She made me feel like a criminal and I plan to report this to the general manager and to everyone that I know about this horrible experience I received from TD Bank. The person ended up calling the bank to speak to her to find out what her problem was? She said nothing and send him to call customer service after she froze the account, and send him to call fraud services. Once I left the bank I made a 3-way call with the bank and the person who gave me the check and the person from the bank agreed that she handled this very wrong. All she had to do was cash the signed check. I plan to continue to speak with managers to report her. There was need to do this. I ended up cashing the check at Chase Bank which handled it very professionally with a smile and I plan to close my TD Bank account 1st thing.

Never in my life have I gone through such difficult time to cash a simple check. Beware of this bank and beware of **. She likes to make customers lives difficult for no reason. Maybe she was bored. She didn't even smile. It was like she was so miserable working there at TD Bank. She did all that for nothing. Chase Bank wins as usual...

TD Bank not business-friendly. Today, my online account was frozen for the second time in a month. I called the 800# which was answered in a couple of minutes only to be told they had to transfer me to the 'business' department. That phone rings and is answered by a voice mail telling me the wait is at least 35 minutes. WTF??? The first time this happened, it was a 20 minute wait. TD Bank does not value their business customers. Business owners do not have the luxury of waiting over a half hour for a phone call to be answered. And TD Bank doesn't give you an option to leave your phone number to have someone call you back. Looks like I will be opening another checking account at Chase. They have their priorities in the right place.

I was with TD Bank going on Seven years until February 7, 2017. Since I was with them my checking account was hacked three times and neither times did TD Bank inform me. When I first opened my account on two separate occasions they took $35 for no reason only to say "we're sorry we will refund your account back". That was my sign to close the account then but I gave them another chance only to have their Fraud department fail me three times and not inform me of transactions that they canceled but still didn't notify me of.

But this last time a charge from Texas went through my account and I'm in Florida but since they're "back in department" as one of the store manager's puts it I have to wait until the investigation is completed which takes 10 business. So whatever bills or rent I had to pay with my money who cares. I have to wait the whole 10 business. What's the point of having a Fraud department if they do not notify the customers of fraudulent transactions happening to our accounts. Good thing I am the type of customer who check my accounts often because if I left it up to the bank to tell me I would be fighting in court for charges that are not mine. I'm so over TD Bank. I can't wait for them to credited my account back so I can closed this account once and for all.

I was calling 1888-751-9000 to check my big payment to credit card came through. It is usually takes 1 min through automatic system. The guy was asking too many questions and was really unprofessional. I was asking about manager and he put me on hold for 22 min and then my phone die. I will never call them again...

TD is STEALING our money!!! NOBODY said they could HOLD It for 7 days! They steal $30 a month in "service fees." DO NOT USE THIS "bank!" Their job is to cash our cheques and give us our money! Not hold it for no reason! It's the same company I have received cheques from for the past 5 years! TD CANADA Trust is not trustworthy - They are THIEVES!!! Plus they support DAPL.... So I'm DONE with you evil corporate crooks!

I have a joint investment account at TD Wealth. I want to move my investment to another institution and TD Wealth Legal department refuses to let me have my money!!! They are holding my account and money hostage. TD wants to dictate to me how to use my money and will not release my funds to me! Now I have to get lawyers involved and spend money on fighting for my own money!!! They think they are God. I say they are cowards trying to control others people's lives. This is a true story! Don't use this evil institution. They will try to take away your rights!

I have been a TD customer for 24 years. I don't like the fees either, but they are stellar when it comes to fraud. Someone somehow wrote a check on my account with no addressee and it went through. TD removed the check within 5 minutes. Another payment bounced because of this and they removed the fee. Ten years ago someone was to wire $7,000 from a university in England. After 3 weeks of waiting I canceled the arrangement. Two weeks later TD called to say that someone was trying to get $7,000 out of my account and I didn't lose a nickel.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.
  • Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.
  • Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.
  • Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.
  • Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.
  • Best for TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions