2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

TD Bank

TD Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.67/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I like the customer service I get at my local branch. Recently, the chip stopped working on my debit card. Since it is drive-up only at this time, the teller told me he'd get a new one made right away and to pull around the corner and he would bring it out to me. It was great service!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

When we moved to Pennsylvania nearly twenty years ago, family recommended TD Bank. I barely qualified as a senior citizen. Over the years, I have had a great relationship with them. They have been working with me when times were difficult. They offered great services. In this difficult time when it's hard for everyone, they are still there for me. TD is a good place to bank for senior citizens, as I am sure it is for others.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been with TD Bank for over 25 years. The convenient hours make a big difference-including being open on Sundays. The tellers are very courteous and friendly when I do go to the actual bank (right now using the drive through). However, I do most of my banking online. The app is very user friendly. All in all I find TD Bank meets my banking needs and am very satisfied.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We use TD for our savings account and for checking. The folks at our local TD Bank are always pleasant and helpful and they know my name when I walk in the door. (Something we can't do these days.) When I first moved down here, I had no computer available, it was stuck up in NY on the moving truck. I had bills to pay. The gentleman I spoke to, turned his computer around, handed me the keyboard and said, "Go to it." I was amazed. I did what I had to and thanked him. He just said if you need anymore help, just come back in. That's what I call excellent customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Let me tell you a story about two gentlemen from T.D. Bank named Sal ** and Roberto **. O’ my gosh, what lifesavers. I lost my card in a T.D. Bank in just a few seconds, the machine didn’t give the “take your card out” reminder and I wasn’t paying attention. When I walked to the next store I realized I didn’t have my card. A slight panic was starting to develop. It was still early but all the banks, all the banks only had ATM’s and no one to talk to, I was lost for a minute. Then I decided to try the T.D. Bank near The Bronx Zoo, which had drive in. I thought maybe I could speak with someone. At this point I only had $6 in my possession.

When I went to the bank I found that it had closed, I was heart broken. I lost my card, only $6 in my pocket. I felt like half a man with my money gone. I was thinking about hanging out with some chicks but not now. No money no chicks. I went to the window humbly and explained my situation. I could tell right away the guy I was explaining my situation to had a friendly face and might be able to help me. Once he explained to his supervisor what happened I couldn’t believe the help I got. They said they were closed but just like the commercial, they went out of their way for me.

I was reassured that I could get my card in the next day. That was a relief. Card was cancelled and I was given back my card number after I.D. check and I got money. I had to thank these guys because first, they were friendly and helpful. These things I needed because I was going through some at this time. The thing that got me was at the moment I needed an understanding friend and a bank teller, they were both. I left glad I had signed up with T.D. Bank. Raises, promotions and television commercials could easily go to them. If anyone of those guys ever need a reference from me, it could be 10yrs from now, they got it from me. Thanks again Sal ** and Roberto **, the world needs more of you guys.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I purchased a phone through Samsung. I returned it to Samsung and they told me I would get a full refund. They left a 12.31 balance for the monthly protection that I don't owe. I never activated the phone. I can't get TD to remove it and they have caused my credit score to drop 125 points.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I made a mobile deposit for a check made out to me on Oct 4 for $200. On the Oct 7 the bank froze and closed my account. The Bank opened up and approved a account for me online. After they never honored the check for the mobile deposit. I had a balance of $193.00. They said I had a account back in 2016? They said they were keeping the money and closing the account. How does a bank open a new account, if you owe them money? They should have told me to pay my negative balance on that old account before letting me open a new account. This is unfair specially when I was going food shopping with that money. During a pandemic really? Wow this company is the worst.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

TD Bank recently changed their transfer process, so now each transfer transaction has to originate from TD Bank into whichever account the customer has linked to their TD account. These transfers are riddled with problems that result in the funds NOT transferring into the customer's requested account. Further, they 'hijack' the funds for an additional 3 weeks before crediting the funds back into the account. Not only that, the customer service rep will mislead and provide false information about when those missing funds will be credited back.

They will make no exceptions to provide any relief to their customers, which effectively means they are holding money that does not belong to them and refuse to return it when customers request it, citing a 'third party problem' that clearly puts the onus on the customer, which does not hold the bank accountable for their own mishandling of their transactions. They know that their recent transfer policy change is problematic, but they refuse to acknowledge or make any concessions to customers who are waiting to collect their money.

This is a really bad business practice, even if it is not 'illegal' (which, by the way, it should be, because it is tantamount to stealing, but the regulatory body decides what they want to enact as policy and lets banks get away with this). I cannot even describe the level of frustration caused by their ineptitude and refusal to right their wrong- I suspect they will not budge because if they did, it would be admitting wrongdoing, and this bank simply won't do that.

Remember back when TD Bank was found guilty of skimming off their change machines? Remember when TD Bank agreed to pay $122 million to settle claims it employed illegal overdraft practices? There are MANY more instances where they were found guilty of illegal activity. My situation - and I am absolutely certain thousands of other customers' situations - is yet another example of the fraud perpetrated by this bank. I will NEVER do business with them again. In addition to fraud, they have the WORST customer service on the planet; they blatantly lie to their customers; and the 'on-hold' music is TORTUROUS!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I do not know how many operators TD Bank has, but all numbers are pointing to the same call center and I have been listening to music for more than 6 hours now, not being able to get hold of a person. Unbelievable. I guess that is the last Samsung device I financed.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

TD Bank puts advertisements that you will get a bonus if you open an account with them but it is a fraud. I clicked on one such advertisement to open an account and made clear I opened the account because of the promised bonus. I continuously requested the status of the bonus and was told it had to be over X number of days. After X number of days they then claim that I "Didn't click the right link" in order to qualify for the bonus. Why would they put two links on an advertisement for the bonus but to try to intentionally defraud people who are signing up based upon the promised bonus. This is fraud and someone should sue them in a class action lawsuit as I'm sure I'm not the only one who was defrauded by this bank.

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor