2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

TD Bank

TD Bank
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.63/5

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I like the customer service I get at my local branch. Recently, the chip stopped working on my debit card. Since it is drive-up only at this time, the teller told me he'd get a new one made right away and to pull around the corner and he would bring it out to me. It was great service!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

When we moved to Pennsylvania nearly twenty years ago, family recommended TD Bank. I barely qualified as a senior citizen. Over the years, I have had a great relationship with them. They have been working with me when times were difficult. They offered great services. In this difficult time when it's hard for everyone, they are still there for me. TD is a good place to bank for senior citizens, as I am sure it is for others.

Get buying tips about Online Brokers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2020

I have been with TD Bank for over 25 years. The convenient hours make a big difference-including being open on Sundays. The tellers are very courteous and friendly when I do go to the actual bank (right now using the drive through). However, I do most of my banking online. The app is very user friendly. All in all I find TD Bank meets my banking needs and am very satisfied.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We use TD for our savings account and for checking. The folks at our local TD Bank are always pleasant and helpful and they know my name when I walk in the door. (Something we can't do these days.) When I first moved down here, I had no computer available, it was stuck up in NY on the moving truck. I had bills to pay. The gentleman I spoke to, turned his computer around, handed me the keyboard and said, "Go to it." I was amazed. I did what I had to and thanked him. He just said if you need anymore help, just come back in. That's what I call excellent customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Let me tell you a story about two gentlemen from T.D. Bank named Sal ** and Roberto **. O’ my gosh, what lifesavers. I lost my card in a T.D. Bank in just a few seconds, the machine didn’t give the “take your card out” reminder and I wasn’t paying attention. When I walked to the next store I realized I didn’t have my card. A slight panic was starting to develop. It was still early but all the banks, all the banks only had ATM’s and no one to talk to, I was lost for a minute. Then I decided to try the T.D. Bank near The Bronx Zoo, which had drive in. I thought maybe I could speak with someone. At this point I only had $6 in my possession.

When I went to the bank I found that it had closed, I was heart broken. I lost my card, only $6 in my pocket. I felt like half a man with my money gone. I was thinking about hanging out with some chicks but not now. No money no chicks. I went to the window humbly and explained my situation. I could tell right away the guy I was explaining my situation to had a friendly face and might be able to help me. Once he explained to his supervisor what happened I couldn’t believe the help I got. They said they were closed but just like the commercial, they went out of their way for me.

I was reassured that I could get my card in the next day. That was a relief. Card was cancelled and I was given back my card number after I.D. check and I got money. I had to thank these guys because first, they were friendly and helpful. These things I needed because I was going through some at this time. The thing that got me was at the moment I needed an understanding friend and a bank teller, they were both. I left glad I had signed up with T.D. Bank. Raises, promotions and television commercials could easily go to them. If anyone of those guys ever need a reference from me, it could be 10yrs from now, they got it from me. Thanks again Sal ** and Roberto **, the world needs more of you guys.

Original review: May 11, 2021

TD Bank cancelled my 2.75% fixed rate loan 3 days before the closing and said that they could only offer me a 3% loan. They didn't want to give me this rate because rates were rising quickly. I had no choice. The senior bank executive promised me some restitution including money back at closing as none of this was my fault. They blamed Fannie and Freddie. Not only did they not do this, they did not return multiple phone calls, texts or e-mails after the closing. The experience BEFORE this was also atrocious. It was by far and away the most difficult, gut wrenching experience that I have ever had with any vendor (spans over 50 years). I wouldn't recommend TD bank to my worst enemy. I have subsequently heard many people in the real estate industry say similar things about the horrible service you get from TD bank. Use them at your own peril.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I have CIBC, TD and Meridian. My experience with CIBC is flawless with chequings, online banking and mortgages. Requesting basic information from CIBC -> Minutes to get response. Requesting this basic info from TD -> Hours and moved through 6 different people. This is TD in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan that I am evaluating. It needs to step up the game significantly. Also my accounts are not even LINKED together.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I've been with TD for 15 years, I've had a handful of bad experiences with them, including a time when they took over $100 from my account without an explanation and only reimbursed $70, claiming they were doing so out of courtesy. I was planning on switching banks but when a Doordash employee committed fraud with my card, they caught it and blocked my card... So I decided to stay but a few months ago, I was scammed by a seller.

I purchased $170 worth of items and never received my order. The seller ignored my many messages, so I filed a claim and was reimbursed by TD. Then TD took my refund back without explanation. I contacted them and was told that the seller showed proof that I received my order and I supposedly called TD asking to close the dispute. I insisted that it wasn't true and dealt, the rude representative was sarcastic and hung up on me. I was able to provide proof via email, that the seller was lying and TD refunded again.

Months later Td took the refund back again, claiming the seller provided proof against my claim. The seller has a lot of bad reviews from clients stating the same thing happened to them. After 15 years of paying such high monthly fees and dealing with bad customer service, I'm done. Dealing with a company that treats me as such and doesn't care enough to investigate claims when their client is being scammed; Another time, a representative dismissed my claims of being overcharged because he didn't want to do the math. He then hung up on me. I emailed the claims department with proofs and was eventually refunded.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I just need to vent about how awful this bank is. I don't advise traveling with TD Bank because your card will be declined a lot and you'll get stuck in situations that are scary. In fact don't even open an account with them. This is coming from someone who has a credit card and debit card with them. Even going to an ATM to have cash on hand, you will get blocked. There were so many close calls for me missing work, missing my flights, going hungry. When you call they insinuate that you're lying and that your card is "active and ready to use". Then when you go through these long drawn verification processes they still don't know why you're being blocked. They have to investigate and it takes days to do so. By far the worst bank I've ever had the displeasure of banking with. I'm happy to say that I'm closing all my accounts with TD Bank today. Rant Over.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Not a very free flowing, user friendly process no matter what function you try to perform. Even basic functions seem to have quirks regardless of how (irritating) small, and when I write to express a concern, the response is usually a rather auto-generic one even if it's sent by a human. It's time to move on to another bank that actually cares!

TD Bank and TD Banknorth author review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor