TD Bank and TD Banknorth
1.33/5
  • 1 star
Based on 106 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Get expert advice
Answer a few questions to find a great financial advisor.
FIND MY ADVISOR

TD Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

631 TD Bank and TD Banknorth Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Avoid this bank if you’re a startup or first time owner. Just came here to give an advice based on my own experience. TD Bank has the worst customer service, they even lied to me last time just to avoid my questions. They also told me, checks from different banks normally takes 1 day to clear, when actually is taking 1 week, then every time I ask for my money, they say something happens with the check and it needs more verification (same deal with all checks). They never answer my questions, they don’t have online support, and most of the time they can’t confirm your identity so you need to visit a branch. No mention the tellers, I hate every time I go, I don’t want to deal with them. Please be smart, try somewhere else.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I've been banking with TD for like 10-11 years now, having originally opened the account with Commerce. The whole time it's actually been a lovely experience, but now I'm on hold with them and yeah it's been an hour. I get it, it's Saturday, you have fewer staff at the call centre, but either get more staff or ditch the Saturday shift. I'd gladly call back during the week if it meant I got to speak to someone within five, ten minutes. I need to hang up; I have other things I need to do today than be on hold with a bank for which I have a question that should take five minutes to resolve.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was interested to open an account on TD BANK on Miami Beach Florida south beach branch. I walk inside and was received from a bank teller, she barely do not speak and whatever she told me was incomprehensible, Anyway I sign up for having a meeting with a person in charge of account opening, he come over me and he told me he will come back to me in max 5 minutes. In the meantime I was waiting this person, other 4 customer walk in straight up to his desk and he attend them right away. I really disagree about this kind of customer service and I decided to bring my 5000 dollars in another bank where the service was better for sure. Right now Wells Fargo take care of me and my money. I DO NOT COMING BACK IN ANY TD BANK FOREVER.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Customer Service is non-existent online. Waiting twenty minutes for an individual to answer the phone is a disgrace. You are not only a horrible model for customer service but do not provide excellent service to your customers. As a professor of Business, I intend to use your company as a model for poor business performance as well as disgraceful customer un-service.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have very bad experience with TD Waterhouse Online. Almost last 2 weeks I am not able to trade online in time, most of the time TD Waterhouse website having issue, only the message shows that, "We are working hard to fix the problem," and, "Try again later."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Ameritrade?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I recently had some fraudulent charges made to my TD Bank account. After a series of phone calls, which convinced me that the problem would be resolved, and my account would be restored quickly, I discovered yet MORE fraudulent charges made and my account was thrown into a negative balance. When I called, for the third time, after the requisite 20 MINUTE WAIT TIME, I discovered that the charges were made online, using my ACCOUNT number, NOT my debit card number. I had originally thought I could just go to the branch and obtain a new debit card... No, I had to open a new account.

I went to the Elmsford, NY branch and was helped to open a new account by Dianne **. It took her about 20 minutes on the phone with someone else to determine the nature of the charges, and was then able to open a new account. The new account balance is still negative. When I asked if there was ANY CONCESSION that could be made to repair my balance she basically couldn't do anything. At this point she asked if I would like some checks for the new account... FOR A $12 CHARGE?!? She then said I could talk to her manager, and I wound-up speaking to an Assistant Manager who looked concerned, but sheepish, and informed me that after being a CUSTOMER FOR 14 YEARS, there was nothing they could do for me. NOTHING!! As soon as the funds are restored (7 to 10 business days, not counting CHRISTMAS, of course) I will be doing research into other places to put my money.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

It must be a hundred times now that I've called and always does a 20-minute wait! Who in their right mind is going to stay on the phone for 20 minutes waiting for you people? You make a lot of money but cannot even have enough people to answer the phone is just ridiculous. Changing my bank now. I cannot give them a rating at their practices don't deserve it. As far as their overdraft and very low interest giving back fees. Yep they're very low on the list. And now I cannot submit this unless I give them at least one star which I did not want to.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I have TD Bank account since it used to be Commerce Bank. Now customer service sucks big time. I needed to call 3/4 times and every time hold time was 20/30/40 mins so hung up as no one has so much free time and this just shows how bad their service is nowadays. Today I really needed help with something regarding my account and decided to call... automated system said wait time is 20 mins and I decided to wait as I needed help and at this point it's 1 hour 5 minutes and 35 seconds to be exact and I am still waiting for a representative to come online and help me. (I am on hold while decided to write this review.)

I honestly think this is ridiculous. I needed urgent help so I decided to stay online but who would have so much time to wait for these idiots. Today's incident really made me change my mind and close my bank account and credit cards with TD Bank and move to some other bank. Definitely will never recommend anything to go for this bank now and especially don't bother calling them even by mistake.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Why would I open up a account at this bank, am I a glutton for punishment or just stupid... Charging very small interest in accts and then charging you a penalty for making excessive transfers from one acct to another is ludicrous. As a matter of fact today will be the last day of dealing with the Bank of Satan. Sincerely a disgruntled consumer.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Very Upset with TD Bank in West Roxbury MA. The bank tellers are very very rude. The customer service staff are poorly trained or not trained at all. I have been a customer there for about 5 years. It has not been by choice however. I was lured in by a lot of misrepresentation and after I did a refinance of my house with them I was stuck. But the worst ever was when I discovered the bank made some very costly errors and had hidden fees. Worst of all, I found out later that I could have refinanced through the government's HARP program and pay almost nothing. They also have charged me ATM fees when they said there were none. Except for the free pens and candy everything about this bank is a lie piled on top of deception.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I tried to purchase something online and my card was rejected. I decided to call them to sort out the issue but it has been 55 minutes so far and there's no one there to answer my call... America's number one bank? Or whatever their claim to fame is... Just NO!!! This is the second time. Another time they locked my card for a $3 purchase because I was out of state. Now this wouldn't bother me as much if they answer the damn phone... Excuse me for the language but I'm a little bit frustrated. As I'm typing this review, I'm on the phone waiting for a customer representative to answer me... Very poor TD. VERY POOR!!!! Try to do better with your customer service cause you ain't got one... Will be closing my accounts and take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I am an elderly woman living on SSA. I had, after 2 years, a check debit for $27 dollars overdraw my account. I live on poverty wages. I was informed by a CSR at the TD Bank Port St Lucie area that I would be charged for every item that is pending into my account. All of them except for the check debit were approved with my debit card. I was also informed that I would be charged for five pending transactions when only one overdrew my account. I am happy this will fund some CEO's account, but it will cause me not to be able to even live or pay my bills next month after the fees are taken out. I was informed the CSR at the local branch would work with me. I don't have a good feeling about this at all. And here I sit, with an anxiety disorder, freaking out, stressing out that I won't be even able to survive next month when all the charges are deducted. How is this fair? How is this fair at Christmas? How can people be so greedy? Please help me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

I called customer service around 7:30pm to cancel a charge and had to wait over 20 mins to get through to an agent... So much for your most convenient bank as they claim to be... Saving on customer service is the worst practice! They should focus more on customers and less on cutting expenses at a customer cost.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

If you do have a TD Debit/Visa card be ready it will be locked/declined any time you make a purchase from stores out your zip code or do shopping online from places out of country even state. If you do a business trip or vacation to another country - DO NOT use your card there, it will be locked in a moment and if you do have no cash - you will stuck until you make a call to the customer service and prove this is you and you do shopping in the Europe for example. You can call to customer service to complain, but they will tell you this is for security purpose. If you asked to decline this option and get approved - I guarantee it will happened again and again in at the most unsuitable moment.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Only after 4 months with this bank I am closing out my accounts. Trying to anyhow, they will not close out my accounts. TD keeps on charging my fee on a zero balance accounts which their Rep was to close. I've called twice already and still they cannot handle this request. Hold times for customer service is long. Once they answer they can't help or the request is not completed. STAY Clear! They make tons of money off the fees they charge.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

A bill come out of my account on 11/28/17. I forgot to put money in my checking account. I was working all day and couldn’t get to the bank. So I figured hey, TD is supposed to be "America's most convenient bank" right? Wrong. I went after work to deposit money to correct my account. Obviously the bank was closed and so was the window, so hey I can deposit money in the ATM right? NOPE. Both ATMs are "out of service". I call TD the next day to get my OD fee reversed, they refused and tell me that I should watch my account better and their broken ATMs are not their problem. Great customer service! I will be switching banks ASAP!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Had Target MasterCard since 2006, original credit limit $10,000, I have auto pay and subsequently have never missed a payment. I earn about $120,000 a year have a credit score of 758, but no one is able to tell me why my credit limit is $200.00 now.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I've been with TD for over 7 years and I'm closing my account (the only reason I opened one is because they were the only bank account near where I was enrolled in school). Their customer service is awful. Their employees rarely have answers to the questions being asked and customer service representatives give conflicting answers. Their fees are ridiculous, their hours are inconvenient, and you have to jump through hoops to get what should be hassle-free.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

They charge a fee for everything, including if the balance falls less than $100 at any time over a 3 month period. Also charge an insufficient funds fee of $70 twice in two days before realizing I was getting raped and called and corrected the problem. Reimbursed for $35 of it only. This is not a main account and their hidden "fees" create all sorts of opportunities for you to incur more fees. Not only that but they are only open until 5, so if you have a job it nearly impossible to get there during business hours to deposit cash.

Also my employer is also a TD bank customer, which is why I opened this account and I've deposited live checks that were placed on hold. Even after the tellers were told that they were payroll checks and TD bank checks. Of course another opportunity for them to charge for insufficient funds when you unknowingly bounce checks because of their mistakes. Call to fix it and what do you get -- it's our mistake! No kidding - "Can I have my money?" "We will see what we can do." Seriously? It's a real shame the American consumer has zero power to avoid being victimized by these "big banks". I don't know if any other bank would be better, but I do know that TD bank stinks.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

TD Bank Huntingdon Valley PA - trying to withdrawal close my IRA in person and the person assisting me on hold with TD corporate for 35 minutes then tells me I can close it on a Sunday. I sat here with her for an hour to be told I have to come back even though they are open. Showed no empathy for my time and never apologized for my time. I am so upset, I will be closing all my 3 accounts as well as my safe deposit box since TD does not value my business and time.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

After 7 years, am leaving due to the excessive fees and policies. When I placed my concern regarding the overdraft fee when my checking account had a positive balance reflected. They then claimed that if a debit hits before a credit to the account (which, of course they would take advantage of), an overdraft fee would occur. They claimed the overdraft fee hit at 11 pm, which is why I was charged, causing the fee. They were apathetic at the branch I called, and tried to school me on how to better manage my money than actually trying to help resolve the situation. I will now be taking my business elsewhere, where I will not be fee'd to death.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We have a dispute of the wrong charge in a credit card. After numerous calls nothing has been settled and when asked for a supervisor, I was told she had no idea who it was and you cannot get a straight answer. It is exhausting having to deal with a billing error. Even if you fax and mail your proof and receipts. Use their card carefully. You won't get any help if something is wrong.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Bad experience with the TD Bank. Been with them for 10+ years and every time I need a loan or anything from the bank, I have to jump through hoops. I paid off 2 mortgages through them and still have a very difficult time with them. I do not recommend the TD Bank for any of your banking needs.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I authorized a one time transaction from Coinbase for $2020 "COINBASE.COM/BTC 8003435845". There was an error with their system and it made a duplicate identical transaction. I contacted Coinbase and they said they would not reverse it. I proceeded to call TD Bank on 11/9/17 at 1:12 AM about this issue. The representative assured me of two things; A) There’s only one transaction on the account not two, and B) She would turn off auto overdraft so even it is did go through there would be no issue. I log on to my account on 11/11/17 to find out I have a negative balance of $2,037. Further research indicated that not only was overdraft not turned off but there was a duplicate transaction as I had alerted them to. This transaction not only over drafted my account but caused other pending smaller transactions to be fulfilled due to overdraft. I now have a negative balance and $140 in overdraft fees.

I called the bank to have this corrected for which they said could take over 10 days. I explained I was in vacation in another state and could not wait the 10 days as this was not due to my mistake or error, but to poor training and misinformation by their staff. I said if it has to take that long then I require some sort of compensation as I am not paying those overdraft fees and I am on vacation now stranded wasting my valuable time being on the phone with them for over an hour. They refused to reverse the fees, offer compensation. Issued me a conditional credit (which I asked for so I would not be without cash), or offer as much as an apology due to their negligence. I explained how I was incredibly embarrassed to Roslyn Employee id # ** and I have other pending charges that would hit the account which now either increase my liability, cause the company to charge me a fee for NSF, or other payments not being made on time.

This whole situation could have been avoided had they provided the corrected information on the 9th. I also explained to Roslyn how I have had over $60,000 run through the account and based on my past customer relationship of with the institution of over 3 years I expect this to be corrected today. Since she refused and I am now stranded I told her to close the account at 2:20 pm (I gave verbal permission) and mail me a check for my positive balance of $122.19. They told me the account had a negative balance and I politely explained that this was not a result of my actions but of the bank's incompetence and that I cannot expect to be penalized for a result of their misinformation.

I provided the date and time of prior call (which would be recorded) and asked them to pull the call. The fact they are still holding cash from me is fraud. They misrepresented the information purposefully to withhold funds from me and add frivolous charges to the account and extort money from me. I am requesting my account be closed immediately as they clearly do not respect or value my time and to have my positive balance of $122.19 returned to me IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

This company is a shame to US banks. Ridiculous customer service and marketing team. They never honor their promotions. Signed up for their promotions via their links and also had the bonus mailer. After satisfied their requirements of $2500 DD, the bonus never showed up. Contacted their team numerous times and they denied the links and even the mailers. Such a despicable bank and it is full of scam. Avoid TD Bank like hell!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

The bank is friendly but they don't take care of anything they are supposed to. My husband's name was spelled wrong on the account and on his debit and credit cards. We called them to change it, went down to the bank numerous times and they still haven't changed it. I am also having problems with the mobile app. It keeps on coming up with an error. Spoke to tech support and they told me would take it to the higher ups and send me secure messages within 24 hrs with an update. A week passed and no messages. I keep on calling back and have to repeat the story all over again because they have no notes/record of my phone call.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I have never in my life done business with a bank that is so horrible. I do a money transfer and they reject it because there is information on the check they do not like. The transfer had my name and the source of funds. Then they charge me $35.00 to return funds. Then I go to use my ATM card and it has been deactivated. OK deactivate but at least tell me. I try to make a deposit at ATM and it just rejects the deposit. The only thing they have going for them is they are open 7 days a week.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

For the past two years TD Bank would send me pre approved credit card offers. Two weeks ago I finally applied. I was denied with a 780 credit score from Experian credit report. The following reasons. Too much credit. Opened a couple accounts recently. Too much recent activity. I am in business and utilize credit. I would go into more particulars, however disclosure is an issue. The point is I have worked with credit for many years. This bank doesn't have a clue. This is just inept. I would never consider this bank for something important. Credit line, Equity loan and never a refinance or new mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Have been TD customer for 12 years, I am closing all my accounts from TD! I have been through few times inconvenient experiences with TD but concerned this is my only bank and so many payments relied on so thought to give more trying. In the end, their service keeps going down. The recent one was they hold my USD cheque for one week! That was an urgent fund! I had done many times USD cheques deposit but never had been held until this one. They told me that was a large amount. I asked them if they have paper to show me what amount means large amount. And they said they don't have and it's depend on individual's clients.

I called TD customer service to complaint. The supervisor was taking it seriously and said the branch manager was going to call me and she did. Back and forth, the manager handled this case UNPROFESSIONALLY! I called TD customer service to complaint again and another supervisor talked to me cold and said they won't let customer care to handle this case until the manager done the job. I waited one week to get the cheque release! I have been through unbelievable stress during that week! I have five grand daily limited in my chequing account for so many year. And they just drag me down so badly. I canceled my TD visa and USD visa cards and now going to close all other accounts from TD. And won't go back!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

When I get a low balance in my checking account, I'm suppose to get a email alert, it never comes. I've talked to TD Bank about my email they say they have it on file. But it never comes, so then I get a overdraft fee, and they never send any alerts. Then I call to get reimbursed and they no, they can't, so I'm writing a review that is saying this TD Bank is actually stealing people's money and this is wrong. We are hard working Americans and they just keep taking our money we need to survive with.

TD Ameritrade expert review by Barbara Friedberg

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest U.S. banks. The bank offers retail, small business and commercial banking products and services to more than 8.5 million customers through its approximate 1,300 locations in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida.  TD Bank belongs to TD Bank Group, a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto.

• Accounts and services: TD Bank offers personal banking, small business banking, commercial banking and investing services. The personal banking services and products include checking, saving, credit cards, loans as well as access to investment products.

• Online banking and bill pay: Their electronic services include 24/7 online account access, transfers, person-to-person payments via Popmoney® and bill pay. Customers receive email alerts, online statements and account synch with Quicken®.

• Credit cards: TD Bank offers a variety of credit and debit cards including specialized miles, cash back, prepaid, balance transfer and rewards cards. There are also special offers for new credit card owners.

• Personal loans: TD Banks personal loan products include secured loans, unsecured loans and a personal unsecured line of credit.

• Financial tips and tools: This educational portal includes calculators, articles and tutorials on a wealth of financial topics including banking, budgeting saving, and borrowing.

• Best for: TD Bank is appropriate for consumers who live near the TD Ameritrade Bank branches and those seeking banking with a direct link to a discount brokerage firm, TD Ameritrade.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.tdameritrade.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use