Find an Online Banks partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: June 27, 2021

TD Bank’s Mortgage Department has the most unprofessional Underwriters. Their Underwriters are unorganized and are very poor at managing the information they collect. They repeatedly lost submissions and require multiple copies. They are not responsive and very poor communicators. I was very disappointed and wrote to the Office of the Chairman who requested their Underwriters to “re-engage” only to again ask for copies of previously submitted documents. I was told from one of their Mortgage Brokers that they are unorganized, poorly trained and have high turnover. Watch out and I highly recommend that you go elsewhere.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I called TD for help with my TD visa. They asked me 2 questions, I answered both yet they said that they were unable to verify me after that and that I had to download their mobile app to be verified that way. I said to the agent that I had access to my PC online banking but she said that that was not sufficient. Seriously!?!? TD can't verify my identity if I can answer any of their questions to do with my banking. Instead they literally FORCE ME to download their mobile app and jump through nonsensical hoops just to ask a question. Well, I am cancelling all my credit cards with TD and move all my investments to one of the other Canadian banks. So well done TD, you just lost yourself another customer for no good reason at all. This is not a matter of security, this is TD forcing me to use their app. Whoever is in charge of that marketing scheme should be fired.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Their system is outdated with no live update on the phone compared to Chase, their overdraft fees is ridiculous and abusive. There nothing good about this bank other than than their TD Ameritrade. Really horrible and desperate to charge you any fee possible.

Original review: June 23, 2021

After the abysmal experience I had with TD's fraud prevention, I feel obligated to warn others. I had my checking and savings accounts with TD for 3 years with no issues--the online banking and long office hours were convenient, and I never encountered any issues. So if no one steals your card number, TD is totally fine. But I personally will not be taking that chance again.

Someone got access to my debit card number somehow, and I got a call from TD's fraud prevention saying that they had locked the card and blocked a 300$ fraudulent charge. When I checked my account, I discovered that this person had already spent about $4000, which was nearly my entire checking account balance, without the charges being detected as fraud. I'm no expert on fraud prevention, but you would think that someone spending one's entire checking account balance in a period of a couple hours in MULTIPLE countries and US states (this person spent money in Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, and the US at nearly the same time) would set off the fraud alarms somehow. But apparently not.

However, this lack of fraud detection pales in comparison to the egregious amount of time it took to get my money back and the case settled. I called TD and they couldn't do anything until the charges posted to my account. So I waited for several days to watch my entire balance disappear. Then, after being charged a low balance fee because of the fraudulent charges, I received a "provisional credit" to my account, which TD repeatedly told me they may or may not take away, depending on whether the charges were determined to be fraud. I was told the "investigation" would take 30-60 days, and then I would receive notice about whether I got to keep the credit.

After 60 days, TD still hadn't managed to decipher whether I had, in fact, teleported to casinos and hotels on several different islands and visited numerous US states within the same hour, so I called them back. After nearly an hour on hold with fraud prevention (again), I was told that the investigation could take up to 120 days. Ultimately, it ended up taking over 4 months for TD bank to figure out that this incredibly obvious fraud was fraud. I've never encountered such horrendous fraud prevention and neither had anyone else I spoke to about this.

I was lucky enough to have other funds to use in the event that the credit were taken away, but I honestly cannot imagine how stressful this would have been if my checking account were my only source of money, which certainly is the case for many, many people. If your entire source of money is stolen by no fault of your own, TD will be in absolutely no hurry to give you the peace of mind of knowing you'll get your money back, even if the fraud is completely obvious to literally everyone. So despite how convenient TD was for me otherwise, I don't think it's worth taking the chance with their fraud prevention again and would certainly not recommend TD to anyone else.

Original review: June 17, 2021

My experience with this bank has been consistently terrible and it ended with being sued for 1400. They accepted my minimum payments but I guess the money was not acceptable after the pandemic started. So instead of placing the account in normal collections where I could ask for a settlement and pay it off. They decided to sue in court, taking valuable time, money and resources away from taxpayers. I should have read other consumer reviews before dealing with this company. My mistake, do not let it be yours. If you are a veteran, do not deal with this company. They have billions of dollars in revenue but they will still squeeze a dime out of someone who has honorably served their country.

Original review: June 14, 2021

The TD BANK does not act in accordance with privacy laws. They are known to hold private meetings with a client with their doors wide open and speak loudly so other clients may listen. There are many inaccuracies in their statements. The bank tellers are inexperienced with little or no wisdom in client management which makes them uninformed and rigid, albeit well-intended.

Original review: June 8, 2021

This Bank is supporting scammers. User of their bank 3D verified transaction, we shipped product for over 800 USD. User told that product was wrong, which was a lie, we presented evidence and bank decided user won dispute. We lost 800 USD product and the money. We suspect card was stolen, and user used misleading reason to win the dispute. How this bank allowed that. That is a crime!

Original review: May 30, 2021

My cousin and I went to TD bank for the first time in Feasterville, Buck County and we went in to meet the person in charge. My cousin explains our situation and want to open a joint account. He said, No problem. He took care of all the things need to open the account. Beautiful job he did with us. We highly recommend this bank.

Original review: May 24, 2021

After a representative made a mistake verifying my account I have been told by TD that the only way I can have access to my money is by flying to Canada (I am based on the UK), stay in a quarantine hotel and verify my ID in a branch; all in the middle of a pandemic. I understand that they are trying to make sure that it’s secure, but how about a virtual verification system.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I opened a business checking account shortly after TD bank opened in NJ. I was drawn to TD because of their hours of operation. I now know it was a mistake. TD constantly finds ways to interfere with me and my business. The online deposit software rejects handwritten checks that WF easily accepts. It is difficult, if not impossible to transfer funds. Recently TD invoked two step verification to sign on, without my permission or knowledge. I had cancelled my landline, but couldn’t sign on to update my settings. It took two separate trips to my local branch to get this straight. Lastly, I tried to transfer funds, online, yo my checking at WF. I received a confirmation email from TD that the transfer had been made. Later, I received an email stating the transfer was cancelled due to a lack of account number. Stay away from TD!

TD Bank Company Information