Find an Online Banks partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

TD Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about TD Bank and TD Banknorth?

Original review: April 28, 2021

I've been with TD for 15 years, I've had a handful of bad experiences with them, including a time when they took over $100 from my account without an explanation and only reimbursed $70, claiming they were doing so out of courtesy. I was planning on switching banks but when a Doordash employee committed fraud with my card, they caught it and blocked my card... So I decided to stay but a few months ago, I was scammed by a seller.

I purchased $170 worth of items and never received my order. The seller ignored my many messages, so I filed a claim and was reimbursed by TD. Then TD took my refund back without explanation. I contacted them and was told that the seller showed proof that I received my order and I supposedly called TD asking to close the dispute. I insisted that it wasn't true and dealt, the rude representative was sarcastic and hung up on me. I was able to provide proof via email, that the seller was lying and TD refunded again.

Months later Td took the refund back again, claiming the seller provided proof against my claim. The seller has a lot of bad reviews from clients stating the same thing happened to them. After 15 years of paying such high monthly fees and dealing with bad customer service, I'm done. Dealing with a company that treats me as such and doesn't care enough to investigate claims when their client is being scammed; Another time, a representative dismissed my claims of being overcharged because he didn't want to do the math. He then hung up on me. I emailed the claims department with proofs and was eventually refunded.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I just need to vent about how awful this bank is. I don't advise traveling with TD Bank because your card will be declined a lot and you'll get stuck in situations that are scary. In fact don't even open an account with them. This is coming from someone who has a credit card and debit card with them. Even going to an ATM to have cash on hand, you will get blocked. There were so many close calls for me missing work, missing my flights, going hungry. When you call they insinuate that you're lying and that your card is "active and ready to use". Then when you go through these long drawn verification processes they still don't know why you're being blocked. They have to investigate and it takes days to do so. By far the worst bank I've ever had the displeasure of banking with. I'm happy to say that I'm closing all my accounts with TD Bank today. Rant Over.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Not a very free flowing, user friendly process no matter what function you try to perform. Even basic functions seem to have quirks regardless of how (irritating) small, and when I write to express a concern, the response is usually a rather auto-generic one even if it's sent by a human. It's time to move on to another bank that actually cares!

Original review: March 30, 2021

I have had fraud on my account 3 times!! March 16 was the worst!! The worst customer service ever!! We were sent a email to congratulating me on my new account in a text!!! We never did such a thing!! It's been a living nightmare!!! We have been on the phone since March 17 and to the bank!! Treated like we were the criminals! Went there today March 30 after getting protection for everything!! Went online. The amount of money incorrect was very upsetting!! Went back to the Wantagh branch. Spoke to Vice president store manager. Rude, nasty, no compassion!! I told him I leaving this bank. Like a big shot he told me, "You want me to write you a check!!!" I getting out of there as fast as I can!! Stay away unless you like fraud!!!

Original review: March 20, 2021

I was personally a customer for many years, but after they totally messed up a funds transfer in 2015, I closed my own accounts. My parents kept their accounts and when they passed, I was put through so many hurdles to just get a single checking account working for first my Mom after Dad's death and then, most recently, set up for the estate to pay final bills. The staff seems to be unable to work the internal systems and something always goes wrong.

Yesterday, I was finally able to close the last account as the estate was closed legally. I walked into the "satellite branch" and a woman helped me close the accounts. While I gave her the amounts of the last two checks to be written to send to the beneficiaries of the estate, she seemed to not be able to add numbers. She told me that my numbers were off and that the account had $10 additional dollars in it. I thought that strange since it was a non-interest bearing account and nothing had been added or subtracted to it since December 2020. I did not argue and she prepped the checks. Then she could not get the numbers to add up and told me that my original number was right; there was no additional $10. And she started over. She finishes, hands me two checks and I did ask her if everything added up and the account was closed. She assured me it did and the account was closed.

I get in my car and head to the post office to mail off the checks to the beneficiaries. My phone rings and it is her telling me that the account still has $.06 in it. I told her to just donate it, but she said she couldn't do it. I told her that I was not going to come back and get two checks for $.03 each. So she offered to mail those checks to each of the beneficiaries directly. Today, I open my email and see one from TD telling me that my new statement is ready. I go online and to see if I find a 0 balance, but since I signed up for paperless, they tell me that my account is no longer accessible and I cannot get the last statement. You would think that they would at least stop the email automated notice if cannot access your online profile any longer; further, why don't they shut off paperless when you close your account automatically and just send you the last statement?

The total lack of ability and systems intelligence is mind-boggling. And I still have to wonder who ends up paying for all the expense the staff mistakes cause - in this case, extra postage and most likely something that will show this person put an extra $.06 in this account that I truly cannot believe is accounted for. Will never bank with them or their companies again.

Original review: March 18, 2021

I recently discovered that I have an open TD account, but that I haven't used in 10 years. Someone is now submitting an un authorized debt. I called TD and said disputed the charge but was told that the charge came through PayPal, so they consider it valid. I then asked to close the account out. I was told I'd have to visit a branch in person. There aren't any branches in my current state. Then TD said that I'd accrued overdraft fees from the PayPal transaction. TD said I'd have to pay the fee before the account can be closed. But they won't accept payment over the phone! So, I have no ability to stop the charges from coming through even if I don't authorize the charge. There is no branch to visit and no help over the phone... Certainly NOT convenient!

Original review: March 10, 2021

If I can give them 0 stars I would. On March 9, 2021 I went into the TD bank branch in Hollywood Florida to open an account. The bank employee Jeanine or Jeannette misspelled my name even though I gave her THREE items with my correct name. Her misspelling my name caused them to put a freeze on my account because the very large government check I asked her to deposit had my correct name. This caused them to flag the check as stolen and froze my account. Now I have to wait 24-48 hours for them to reinstate my account and an extra 7 business days for them to clear my check. This is so inconvenient on so many levels. That is the only money I have until next Friday and now I am without. I have small children and really needed my money. After my check clears I am closing my account and banking elsewhere.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I have been with CANADA TRUST for 30 years. I found TD Canada Trust bank to be a scam. BE AWARE. About two months ago I open a new account using their online process. They scanned my passport, took picture of my face, and approved the opening the new account. I received welcome emails with invitation to start using the new account. As well TD provide me access to my account via EasyWeb. In their welcome email they wrote that within 5 working days I will receive a debit card which NEVER arrived. During the first 2 months I managed to login to EasyWeb with no issue until one day I login failed. Communicating with representatives of the bank via messenger, emails and phones to find out why I cannot login to my account and why I did NOT receive my debit card were useless.

I spoke to Esayweb supervisor that hung off the phone on me, customer.support@td.com customer support answer mostly done by copy and paste answers. One email signed by Krista, customer.support@td.com, indicated the following "have escalated this to our Management Team for review, they will be connecting with you within 2-3 business days.". A person by the name Natalia called me and left a voice message saying that she will call back and left a number to call her 416 345-0005. She did not call back and all my call to this number were hung off after the first ring.

To add more information, I am out of the country and due to coivid19 and personal serious medical conditions I cannot return to Canada. One of the reasons that I need this new account is to receive my retirement from Canada. So far based on my experience for the last 2 months plus I found TD representatives to be arrogant, dishonest and unhelpful.

Regards,

Jim **

Original review: March 2, 2021

This bank will find ways to scam you out of your money. I transferred money from my savings to my checking account. They put it to my visa at the same time I transferred money from my checking account to my visa. They said I must have accidentally put the first transfer to my visa (I did not). Then while talking with them to correct it they told me that it would now be a cash advance which means they are going to charge me huge interest (THEFT!) to put it into the account I originally wanted.

Furthermore it was going to take 3 days for the transfer to take place now leaving me to bounce my insurance payment which they will charge me for with a nfs fee (More THEFT of my money!). After explaining my situation to the manager on the phone he told me to leverage my family for money!!! This not a bank. This is a criminal organization!! As they have and are in control of my money I am left with no options but to comply and watch as they steal my money. Criminals!!! This bank is criminal!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Every week for the last 6 months I have deposited my weekly payment from the same company But since the last month, TD has frozen each check deposit, check deposits through ATM, where the deposit receipt clearly says that I have X amount until the check clears, they are canceled. 3 times I have contacted the fraud department, explaining that the check comes from the same company, the same amount and the same dates. However his answer is always the same. We don't know why this happens. How can it be that "not knowing" is the response of a bank to its client. So you know, if you don't want to go through this problem that can happen at any time, stay away from TD bank.

TD Bank Company Information