4.1/5 (1471 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Rocket Mortgage

Rocket Mortgage offers a simplified online experience to apply for a home loan or refinancing. You can apply for a mortgage and then manage the loan completely online through the company’s website or mobile app. Rocket Mortgage’s Home Loan Experts are available by phone if you need assistance. The company markets itself to those with good credit who plan to buy a home or refinance within the next six months.

Pros

• Online convenience
  • Refinancing options
  • Available nationwide

Cons

• No in-person services
  • No construction loans

Bottom Line

Rocket Mortgage provides a digital home loan experience. Some might find the service impersonal, but others enjoy the convenience. It offers customized recommendations and free resources to educate customers.

Rocket Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?

Original review: March 23, 2022

From beginning to end the communication and transparency was above average. Follow up on any questions was always received promptly. Even though there were several issues during the process they were all resolved rapidly and things moved forward with speed which was impressive considering how slow real estate in general is moving due to huge transaction volume nationwide. I would definitely not have had the same experience if I would’ve worked locally with a bank.

Original review: March 23, 2022

The whole process was smooth and fast. If I had any questions Scott was always available to answer them almost at anytime day or evening. I can not get over just how easy and quickly the process was. I would recommend Rocket to friends.

Original review: March 22, 2022

I was looking for a loan to help with down payment or closing cost. To little of my knowledge they pulled my credit. No help. Sales person Kyle I told him what I needed help with and he said, "Yeah we can help you with that." The whole phone call he was laughing and making me feel less than like I don't know how Chase approve you when you only make this much and we work with chase. How can that be making me feel like I'm less than anyone else. I'm just was trying to get help. Three hours no help and a pull on my credit by the same company that pulled it before. Smh. Do better.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Rocket Associates were professional, caring and always helpful. My questions were always answered quickly and knowledgably. I trusted working with them based on how I saw them perform for a friend. Now, based on my own personal experience, I would gladly and highly recommend Rocket to any First Time Home Buyer or anyone looking to refinance. What once seemed impossible has become a reality!

Original review: March 20, 2022

Hardy did an excellent job and found a loan that worked for my needs. I received my money in a timely fashion. Also the notary came on time despite bad weather. However, the interest rate was slightly higher than my last loan but still very affordable.

Original review: March 19, 2022

We were looking for a new mortgage company since we are unhappy with our existing one. Took a chance on Rocket Mortgage. Best experience ever. Outstanding service and super fast to close. Jake ** VERY knowledgeable and proactive. Thanks Jake for an outstanding experience! Couldn't be happier going with Rocket Mortgage for our mortgage needs!

Original review: March 19, 2022

From beginning to end! The Rocket Mortgage team was so nice and helpful, always being on top of my loan and helping with everything! Steph was awesome! When I needed something explain he will no questions ask. I loved the service.

Original review: March 18, 2022

My experience with the Rocket Mortgage team was great, especially, Christine **, who guided us along the way. The only thing that kept our experience from a total success, was the time that it took to get us close, and the constant amount of document request that we had to provide. But, we are grateful, and satisfied with everything else.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Samantha was a great help with everything involving the re-fi. She answered all of my questions and followed through on everything. She was knowledgeable about how to fine-tune the transaction to meet my needs and take care of them. She was also very prompt in returning my calls and took the time to find out the answers to all of my questions. Great job!

Original review: March 17, 2022

You have an excellent team working for you. This is the third time refinancing my home and I have never had any problems with it. If I did, I would call and someone would help me. Very professional and courteous.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I called my lender to find out why my loan had increased 21k from my forbearance. The lady was harassing, threatening, and wouldn't listen to me. I had to ask several times for her supervisor and each time she would state they would say the same thing she was. I finally had to request the supervisor over and over to finally to get connected to a supervisor who is off today. So instead of connecting me a supervisor for help I got sent to a voice-mail. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with.

Original review: March 16, 2022

My agent Mr. James ** was very helpful and knowledgeable. He help me put my package together with ease. I would like to think Rocket Mortgage for having faith in me. And I would like to thank Amrock for making my signing of the closing Document easy.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I have been a client of Quicken/Rocket for ~10 years and for that reason I gave Quicken/Rocket the first opportunity for my business and you were initially unable to even match closing costs/rates with AmeriSave (~$2000 - ~$3000). I then proceeded with a refinance through AmeriSave for cheaper costs and a better rate. Scott ** with Quicken/Rocket contacted me only after receiving my payoff request from AmeriSave. Looking back now, I probably should have not stopped the refinance process with AmeriSave when Scott **contacted me. This scenario of having Scott call me after Quicken/Rocket received my Mortgage payoff request from AmeriSave now seems questionable and possibly a business tactic rather than a best practice. But either way I thought I would be considerate.

So I stopped the refinance process with AmeriSave forfeiting my $500 non-refundable application fee, and I switched back to Quicken/Rocket thinking they may have my best interests by now providing me with a cheaper closing costs/rate that I initially wanted. I WAS WRONG. I wish I would have remembered sooner my last refinance with Quicken/Rocket that was similar to this one. This current appraisal brought back up the memories of my last refinance with Quicken/Rocket where your company and your affiliated appraisal company refused to conduct a fair and appropriate appraisal. Unbelievable I fell for it again. Shame on me for allowing this to occur twice.

Just to be clear, the appraiser considered the best comparables were a house that was clearly obviously not similar in construction or age and was liquidated by Open Door at a price cheaper than fair market value and another house that needed extensive updating that wasn't even in my neighborhood. We later provided 3 more properties for an additional review and for some reason the appraiser made no changes, even though we provided a recent house that is just two houses away, actually in the same neighborhood (unlike their initial comparables), and is obviously similar in quality of construction, size, age, and condition.

This appraiser ironically is also a real estate agent and I wonder what advice she would give me if I were to list my house for sale with her as the listing agent. Would she say I should sell for $456,000 or would she rather me sell around $600,000. I knew prior to starting this that the refinance appraisal would not be the same as the selling appraisals, which by the way magically come in right above the asking price of a home, but I did not foresee that there would be over $100,000 difference. And I understand attempting to minimize risk associated with loans, but the business practices deployed by Quicken/Rocket regarding refinances with the constant phone calls and graphics when you are in your account are now very questionable to me.

Also can you please remove the "Estimated Home Value" graphic from my current online mortgage account. Even with a disclaimer it should be considered a bad and misleading business practice considering the appraisal came in at $456,000 and the fair market value according to my Real Estate Agent would be a minimum of $600,000. Run that through your legal department and I am sure they would agree or add even more to their nice little disclaimer.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I called Rocket Mortgage in February of 2022 and they referred me to Andrew ** who wouldn't give his last name on a recorded line. I told him I simple wanted a rate quote to refinance my house. I asked him at the time if this would be reported on my credit report. He told me that it was a "Soft Credit Check" and it wouldn't go on my credit report. This was not correct and it not only appears on Credit Karma, but when I ultimately went with another lender I had to write a letter of explanation on why this credit check by Rocket Mortgage was appearing on my credit? I plan to file a complaint with the NMLS, the Lender Board and the State Attorney General of California.

This is unfair lending practices and ultimately making him a lending liar. It obviously affected my rate and my credit because it was reported. This is a very tough lending market and I expect lenders to be honest in their practice. He was available after I found out and others started emailing from his office and calling. Be careful of this practice as it is illegal and if you call in to get a rate quote you shouldn't have to give up your Social Security number. I also received a phone call from his office from a lady telling me I should just go ahead and give all my information or I won't get a valid quote. I would highly be careful of Rocket Mortgage and their lending practices, they are not consumer oriented and just want to profit off you. This is why I ultimately didn't go with them.

It shouldn't be a crime to shop rates as a lending consumer especially in light that rates were increasing and lenders were getting a high volume of business. I hope this review serves someone wanting to refinance when the rates go back down and lender profits are less. They tried to cover their tracks by sending me in the mail a rate sheet, but I was only calling to get a rate quote and was told it was a "Soft Credit Check." Bad on you Rocket Mortgage.

Original review: March 13, 2022

I originally called Rocket Mortgage to help me refinance my Mortgage for a lower rate. I am a Veteran trusting on their knowledge and honesty, but the service I received was inconsistent and untrustworthy. Rocket Mortgage Agent Chad did not seek for my best interest or else he did not know what type of loan would be best suited for my need. Their specialist Agent Jack had to be assigned to me. Jack worked on the loan and after 2 Appraisal on my home, they still could not get the loan completed. Jack said that a Third Appraisal was needed now, because the 2 Appraiser was not able to satisfy the lender's requirement, but did not disclose to exactly what the reason was.

A third appraiser was ordered by them, and with more delays, the appraiser did not call until a week later. By this time the rates has gone up and I was stuck out of pocket $500 not ever getting the service I was trusting to get from them. Jack final word was, "SORRY WE COULD NOT SLIMLINE YOUR LOAN." They did an injustice and dragged their feet, and so I never got any good service and NO Loan Refinance. I should have gone with someone else. These guys a good at selling, but horrible in providing honest good quality service. Please shop around for better Mortgage Broker. Rocket Mortgage only cares if it's their best interest and making money off you.

Original review: March 12, 2022

First off Joe ** was amazing with his patience, understanding of our situation, great communication, and very informative. When we finally crossed over to our experience with Roxy so she was equally as helpful. Joe just had a lot more time with us. Rocket does make the entire process easy and we will definitely use Rocket for our future needs.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I found a new job and needed to move quickly from Colorado to Virginia. Rocket Mortgage got me prequalified quickly, recommended a super good real estate agent who found an excellent house on a good piece of land. They worked through a myriad of details on qualifying the loan and getting to closing. The entire team was friendly, personable, and highly professional. Costs were really good and timing was excellent.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Got a cash out re-fi through Rocket. Took almost 3 months. In the end they said we had credit card debt that they would pay by withholding some of our money. We provided documentation showing that the debt had been paid off. They refused to give us OUR money and instead sent it to the credit card company, and told us we would have to get a refund from them. The people I dealt at Rocket with were always polite, but the unreasonableness and incompetence really left me wondering. Rocket Mortgage? Never again....

Original review: March 11, 2022

I spoke with Rocket not a year after a previous refinance. I was told they could remove my mortgage insurance if they could refinance my mortgage. I specifically spoke to a rocket mortgage employee last year and they advised it could not be removed. I feel that this was not removed prior as they could have a reason to come back later to offer to take it off and again charge me closing costs again.

Original review: March 11, 2022

I love Rocket Mortgage and tell every one I can how great my experience has been. They make everything easy and stress free. I also have access to someone at all times to help with my questions. They are responsive and are there for you every step of the way. I can't say enough about my experience purchasing and then refinancing my home. They have a loyal customer (and I work for a bank!)

Original review: March 10, 2022

My number was sold to 3rd parties, I received hundreds of solicitor calls from early morning till late at night. Starting at 5am call after call not stopping until 10 pm. This happened the very next day after the loan closed. You guys made thousands of dollars from my loan. How much money is enough? Can’t imagine how much is made from the sale of personal info, but it makes life hell to have to tolerate my phone ringing every few minutes for days on end. Not happy.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Overall had a good experience with the Mortgage Process. We needed to overcome some challenges with closing on the seller's end, but we managed to work through the issues without too many difficulties. Very responsive to helping when help was needed. Two thumbs up!!

Original review: March 9, 2022

Everything part of this process was simple, clear and customer friendly. The software that Rocket uses is very intuitive, and being able to do the application online made the paperwork seem effortless. We were surprised at how quickly we went from application to closing.

Original review: March 9, 2022

Every staff member I spoke with was courteous, professional and quick to respond. Love the online process of uploading and tracking the progress of the mortgage package. Process flows seamlessly from start to finish. We closed within 14 days of initial app.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This company is borderline harassing me. I had one conversation with them and then let them know I had decided to go with another lender. I have since received 3 emails, 2 texts and 4 phone calls from 2 different agents trying to get my business. All in a 3 day span. I wouldn't give them business if you paid me to at this point.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Loved the process, great rates, super friendly and helpful staff…no matter who I spoke to or why during the smooth refi process. I highly recommend using Rocket Mortgage as one’s home lender on the strength of the great rates, smooth processes and superb customer service team! Special thanks to my associate Katie M. She was awesome!!

Original review: March 8, 2022

Overall great experience. Easy compared to other potential lenders. Super helpful through the entire process. I would recommend RM to anyone else. My loan manager was especially great along with everyone else.

Original review: March 6, 2022

It was easy working with Rocket Mortgage and I am very happy with the rate I received. It did take an little extra time to close but I am very satisfied with the experience. The closing and the handling of all documents via the internet was an easy.

Original review: March 4, 2022

As always my whole experience with Rocket Mortgage has been wonderful. Hassle free, would recommend to anyone. Love the idea it can be all done from home. Heard how hassle free Rocket Mortgage was years ago but did not believe it until I first applied Had friends on facebook that gave Rocket Mortgage rave reviews, so that is when I seriously decided I would try it..

Original review: March 3, 2022

The loan process was smooth, almost everything was done electronically. However, the payoff checks were issued checks. The difficulty was adjusting the payoff amounts, almost all the checks were over paid. Even after I uploaded the statements, only a couple checks were updated. Now I'm having to chase down my accounts to get a refund. And some of them are going back to Amrock then I need to follow up with you to get it back. This is very redundant specially in a digital age we're in and Rocket is all about "e" processing. I understand the security reasoning but ACH depositing back into my account is not too much to ask when it's the same account number that you have for years. Disappointing actually.

Rocket Mortgage Company Information