View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.2/5 (901 ratings)

About Rocket Mortgage

Rocket Mortgage offers a simplified online experience to apply for a home loan or refinancing. You can apply for a mortgage and then manage the loan completely online. Home Loan Experts are available by phone if you need assistance. The company markets itself to those with good credit scores who plan to buy a home or refinance within the next six months.

Pros

• Online convenience
  • Refinancing options
  • Available nationwide

Cons

• No in-person services
  • No construction loans

Bottom Line

Rocket Mortgage provides a digital home loan experience. Some might find the service impersonal, but others enjoy the convenience. It offers customized recommendations and free resources to educate customers.

Rocket Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Rocket Mortgage has made the refi process simple. We submitted a few minor details and paperwork and they updated me every step to identify what I needed to do and what they were working on. I was able to schedule my closing and the location at my convenience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

Ms. Joy ** did a tremendous job orchestrating our refinance… Her customer service was second to none. She kept us informed on material we need and the time frame of each process. I highly recommend her to family and friends… Ms. Joy needs to teach customer service etiquette to everyone in Rocket Mortgage Organization.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

We were able to do everything through email, and for us that was more than convenient. When it was time to close the attorney visit us home and we got copy of the sign papers in less than a week. They were helpful, attentive and didn't mind answer all our questions. For us that was a plus after a few bad experiences. From beginning to end they were there and in a fast pace manner. Thanks to all the people involved in this. You guys definitely ROCK...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

This was our second time refinancing and it took over 3 months. The process was extremely frustrating. We had multiple individuals working on our account and they were delivering mixed messages. One person would tell us one thing and the next day the contrary was relayed back to us. A lot of times, we had to call to make sure that the latest information was received and processed properly. It was an extremely frustrating and sloooow process.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

My refinancing experience was tremendous & handled very well by the Quicken Loans staff. They made the process very easy; as it was our 1st time refinancing. They walked us through the entire process. I would like to send a special shoutout to Spencer **. He called me every 2 to 3 days to make sure everything was working smooth for us. I would recommend Quicken Loans to all my family & friends looking to refinance their home. Thanks Quicken!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

The refinance process was relatively easy, but the fees were a little to high. Very good customer service in general. Agent did a good job of explaining the fees. The closing process was very efficient. Overall satisfied with the process.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Without a doubt, Rocket Mortgage company is the best! I had my original and refinanced mortgages with Rocket and they have been extremely professional and helpful. They work quickly and I do everything from the comfort of my home. You can go wrong with Rocket Mortgage!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

My experience was Good. Chris was very good in what he does and very professional. He then turned me over to Eric and I was also satisfied with his professionalism and helpful work. Overall I was satisfied with the process but I am not very adept at computers or what my cell phone can do. Both helped me through the process and we accomplished my loan.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I found out that you didn't take out enough to cover property taxes, so now my monthly payments are $200 more than you estimated. This seems like a very basic part of the closing process that was missed and is very misleading to the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

I responded to every request within 48 hours. The market is driving appraisal delays at no fault to the lender but there was no proactive communication or re-setting of timing expectations. More critically, I have signed docs 4 times now and despite being 3 weeks past the first signing the loan isn’t closed. Much more to add.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

The whole experience with Rocket Mortgage was amazing. It was so easy to fill out the application online. The customer service was amazing. They worked with me on times to call since I work late. Would definitely recommend them to anyone wanting to refinance their house.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2021

I knew nothing about mortgages or home buying before working with Rocket Mortgage. While I may not know *everything* now, I gained a wealth of knowledge through the mortgage process from each person I was in contact with. Every person that was a part of my mortgage process was friendly, knowledgeable, genuine, and kept in regular contact with me. I never felt like I was figuring things out alone and any questions I had were answered fully and promptly. I also found the website and app extremely useful so I could keep up with all of the documents and tasks required for my mortgage from anywhere and while on the go. I would recommend Rocket Mortgage to anyone and everyone.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

The process to get preapproved was easy. Uploading the documents to the app was a breeze. It took a little longer than expected to close which stressed me out. I never really talked to my loan guy but once. Maybe I was talking to his team? I don’t know. I contacted them with an issue about my employment verification on a Monday and on Friday they still had not corrected the problem. That was a mess. I had to call over and over again for them to get the verification right. The appraisal wasn’t done right the first time and so I had to take off from work to meet the appraiser, again. And even after that, the appraisal still was missing key details. So, we had to wait on Amrock to get the appraisal fixed. That was a mess. I do enjoy the app on my phone though. That’s a plus! I’m just glad it is over. As long as nothing happens to the phone app, I’ll be good.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

My refinance through Rocket Mortgage was pretty seamless and quick and easy.. The rate was locked in early and it went smoothly.. I would recommend them for a refinance or a mortgage as well.. I enjoyed the process and may do it again in the future.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Fast and easy. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant and knowledgeable. I was walked through the process and when someone told me something would be done it was and in a timely manner. I would recommend Rocket Mortgage to friends and family.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Was an easy, hassle-free, experience. This is my second time using Rocket Mortgage, and I have had the same awesome results both times. The only thing was the second time with my refinance took a little longer than expected, but we can thank Covid for that.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Exceptional service. Tried to refinance with the current lien holder and they kept dragging their feet for several month. Went with Rocket Mortgage and closed in 30 Days!! I have would highly recommend Rocket Mortgage to anybody looking at a purchase or refi.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

I have used Rocket/Quicken Mortgage company for my mortgage needs for the last 15 years and I am very happy with their customer service, speed of closing on a loan and easy to use web portal. I would recommend Rocket mortgage to any new or existing home buyers

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

You had a hard time getting the numbers right. They were not corrected until 30 minutes before closing. It appears that is a tactic to mess with clients by waiting to the last minute so when the client looks over the numbers they will miss something because of the time crunch. I feel as though you did not give me all of the credits that I had coming to me, but I did not have the time to completely examine the documents. You had to appraise the property two times because you ordered the wrong appraisal the first time and you charged me for both appraisals. What I suspect is that you added the cost for the wrong appraisal back in somewhere. The difference between the totals from the incorrect numbers and the correct numbers should have been somewhere around $700 but it was $500. I could not immediately see where the difference was, so I could not object.

Another issue was the person we started with said that Rocket Mortgage did now want me to be the middle man, you would contact the necessary people yourself. I was asked several times to resolve issues by contacting the seller. I would have to repeatedly remind you that you were the one to contact them or my agent, not me. Case in point, we did not get the prorated rents and security deposit in the closing until the last second. That also added to confusion at closing.

My brother works for Amrock as a notary and does several closings for Rocket Mortgage. He has had clients make the same complaint. I was hoping that his experiences were a fluke, but it appears to me to be the norm. I wonder if your tactics could be considered a form of duress. If I don't sign the documents at that moment, the deal is off and we would have to start over again and incur additional costs.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

Started on 7 Jul and with a few customer created glitches, we weathered the storm together. They have the most awesome staff, including Dana **, who were with us every moment of the day. The instructions for what we had to do and NOT do were very clear. Smooth sailing along the way. Thank you Rocket Mortgage for making our refi virtually painless.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

There are many words to use to describe our experience. One would be - Incredible!! Kevin and Rocket Mortgage team were outstanding. From start to finish everyone was Professional, Clear, and attention to detail. Always on top of things and always knowledgeable. Thank you so much.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Once again Rocket Mortgage and my loan specialist Jordan ** made a seemingly daunting task a breeze! He helped us every step of the way and followed up thru texting, emails and call until the loan was closed. After our closing he followed up again! Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

The entire refinancing process was as simple as I could possibly imagine! Thank you to Douglas and the entire team for making the process seamless. Well Done! I will definitely recommend RM to others I know who are looking to refinance. Thank you for a great experience.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Great refi rate, easy to complete docs online. Sometimes unable to contact a person for assistance, but when I did speak to people they were very knowledgeable and helpful. Overall very satisfied. Recommended my daughter and she also refinanced and saved a lot with her monthly mortgage.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

Definitely a few areas of improvement are needed. For example I’ve never had a mortgage company ask for me to provide tax information for the subject property. Also, I heard for about 2 weeks that someone would contact us to set up closing and it took forever. We literally had someone call us to tell us someone else would be reaching out to schedule it. What was the point of the phone call?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

We worked with Bill ** and he was very knowledgeable and very accommodating. He answered all our questions promptly and responded to my emails. Even while he was on vacation, he had responsible agents that handled matters courteously. Other than the time that it took to close the transaction (not due to Rocket's control) our experience was professional and exemplary. We are looking forward to possible future business with another real estate purchase.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

My wife and I worked with Charles on getting a loan for a newly built home. Once the plans for the built home fell apart Charles helped us get a new home and we purchased another home. Charles was helpful in so many way and helped what was a wonder outcome.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

From the online application process thru closing the staff at Rocket Mortgage Kept me in the loop and communicated well! It was easy to upload and download documents. The closing expectations were communicated well as they changed. Overall,, it was a smooth process.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

Relatively quick and easy, I would recommend Rocket Mortgage. About 6 weeks from application to settlement. Very upfront with every step. The initial contact, Kyle, was extremely helpful and friendly. The closing was 95% virtual. The closing agent was very friendly and was in and out of my house within a half hour.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

So from the beginning, refinance took too long. Was supposed to close beginning of July. That fell through due to your underwriters wanting a document that the finance company for the newly installed solar panels didn't exist. We wasted probably 1.5 weeks on asking 3 different ways for the same thing when that document that didn't exist despite being told the only thing related to a foreclosure situation was in the event of default section of the agreement. That was the first issue more the smaller of the two. Now this is the part that myself and your own banker had issues with. So this all started around mid July. Cory alerted me that I could take out my escrow from my previous mortgage instead of netting it in. I said let's do that, and Cory got the everything updated. So all is good right? NOOPPPEEE.

Fast forward a week I called Cory in regards to the insanity of the underwriters wanting a document that would never exist, 1st issue discussed initially, in talking with him asked about updates on everything and when he checked on things he found that the escrow was changed to be netted.... SO he changed it back and said he would contacted someone to get this fixed. Told me it should be good now. SOOO fast forward to right before closing now. I got a notification of changes to my loan so I logged in and saw updated cash out was somewhere north of 4300 dollars.

I contacted Cory immediately as it didn't seem right. So after getting a hold of Cory he found that, GUESS IT.... YOU know what happened, the escrow got CHANGED BACK AGAIN TO BEING NETTED... hence the reason the cash out jumped. So yet again, Cory changed it back AGAIN. The cashout dropped down to about $3344 with escrow being cashed out. That's where we left it till closing. At no time was I alerted of any changes beyond what Cory and I discussed prior to closing.

Closing came, cashout matched what Cory and I discussed. Fast forward to the payouts arriving. No escrow check. So I contacted Cory, he said escrow check would get mailed later. So I logged in and looked at my old escrow and noticed my escrow was only 300ish dollars. SO GUESS WHAT HAPPENED AGAIN AND THE CUSTOMER WAS YET AGAIN NOT ALERTED OF CHANGES. So this got escalated to your two levels of supervisors and managers. And let me tell you something, I am in operations, and if I ever had anyone that spoke to me like either of this two did, they would have been fired immediately. They were the most disrespectful people I have dealt with to date, please listen to the calls... Under no circumstances do you tell your customer that they are are a liar.

Let me jump back to the issue at hand. So according to your system prior to closing, cash out was around 4300 prior to Cory making changes, netting escrow. After for made changes, payout was 3344 and escrow NOT netted, 3000 cashback from old loan. I saw what I saw Cory saw what he saw. Now when I got a supervisor into this. This document doesn't exist is what I'm told. So basically you're telling me both what your website showed me and your own banker saw never existed?? Lol, Marco I believe his name was started to get condescending so I asked for a manager. I can't remember what her name was, but she started out on the 1st call polite and understanding. She said she would pull the web sessions from right before closing and look to see what I saw.

So fast forward to this week. She calls and tells me that for most part that I'm lying I didn't see what I saw, which is calling your banker a liar too. But get this. They only pulled the one session. She specifically told me she would pull both and she didn't. Then she went on to say this is over etc nothing she can do being very rude and repeating the same thing over and over again like I'm stupid lol. I asked for a her manager. I was told, "I am the highest person you can talk to." I told her, "Yea right, there are people like me above her." I asked her to pull the other records requested and she told me that she would call me this coming week.

Right now yes I understand the contract is done. But what I need is answers on where did my 1200ish dollars variance from right before closing before Cory made adjustments to fix the escrow go and 2 who modified my loan after the numbers agreed and didn't alert anyone. As I see it, I'm missing 1200ish dollars. I was at 4300ish prior to changes, when Cory changed to cash out escrow it dropped to 3344 due to loan to value. If he would not have changed anything, I would have got 4300ish cash out. Right now outside looking into your company, there is numerous broken systems processes and bad staff that shouldn't be dealing with your customers. Especially documentation going "missing" which is probably the most disturbing thing, because from a financial auditing stand point, that is a no no. I look forward to speaking with someone from upper management soon as Maybe can have a more respectful conversation.

Rocket Mortgage Company Information