4.0/5 (1969 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jennifer Schurman
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Rocket Mortgage

Rocket Mortgage (NMLS #3030) offers an online application process to help borrowers get home purchase loans and refinances. You can apply for a mortgage and manage the loan completely online through Rocket’s website or mobile app, and the company’s representatives are available by phone if needed. Rocket Mortgage is a popular option for refis in particular.

Pros

• Largest U.S. mortgage lender by 2021 numbers
  • Available nationwide
  • 100% online application

Cons

• No in-person services
  • No construction loans or HELOCs

Bottom Line

Rocket Mortgage provides a digital home loan experience. Some find the service impersonal, but others enjoy the convenience. Rocket Mortgage also offers customized recommendations and free educational resources.

Rocket Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I can't believe I own a home thanks to Rocket Mortgage. My broker agent Adrian **, went above and beyond in helping my dream become a reality. I thought owning a home would be too much for me to handle but Rocket Mortgage helped in all aspects of buying a house. They found me a good mortgage rate, and the lawyer to close the deal. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Hi we refinanced our loan and they were super helpful and very kind as well. I would highly recommend them to anyone that is looking for help or a loan. Our daughter also has a loan with them as well.

Maxine

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Working with Steve and crew was great. I was always kept in the loop as to the progress of my refi. In today's world it was comforting to have a great company that still has great customer service. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

Thank You Rocket! It was a very smooth and easy experience using your online services... Submission of documents and the quick turnaround time made the loan pushed the process. I took advantage of your in house fsbo team and it was fantastic to get my purchase agreement made without having to rely on a realtor. The best part of the whole process was your people, from Lynn ** getting me into the right mortgage product and answering all of my questions quickly and knowledgeably... She took care of me like family and never let me feel I was out of the loop through the whole process. Hats off to Gary ** who also did an excellent job in the process of keeping me informed. Thank you so much! We are enjoying our new house and y'all were a part of that.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Let me preface this by saying that I've worked in the mortgage industry for 5ish years. I have worked on both the title and the lender side as a closer, document reviewer, etc. I was around when the regulations switched from HUD to CD, and have written several training guides for various companies - I know the regulations and how they can be interpreted.

It is 9/9/22 and we have been working on this since the second week of July 2022. I am in the final stages of a cash out refi (divorce buyout), hopefully closing soon and this process has been the worst possible excuse for the way customers should be treated. From the very beginning, both my ex husband and I were in contact with 2 different loan officers at Rocket, who we received awful communication. Texts, calls and emails went unanswered for days at a time. This was after they pulled our credit of course and so we wanted to work it out with them. Finally my ex cancelled his application all together, and I should have done the same. Once I confronted my LO about her inattentiveness, she did do a much better job of communicating with me and giving me updates.

Moving forward, my loan passed hands quite a few times (obviously- I know this is how it works), however, i'd send several emails and texts to the person that I had last spoken to as my contact, only to find out DAYS later that I needed to speak with someone else. They never reached out and I always had to go track down updates. I run my own business now and told Rocket employees no less than 20 TIMES that I am not to be called - that they need to email me or text me. I can scheduled a call if is needed. They have continued to call me constantly, and then complain to me that I haven't done my part when they aren't communicating in the way that I specified.

As we were getting closer to my lock expiring, I was made aware that additional documents would be needed from me - on a Thursday, ten days before my lock expired. These are documents that pertained to a transaction made three weeks prior that was overseen by my loan officer. She never requested documentation. I had to make a physical trip to the bank to get statements amid my busy schedule, and when I sent the docs over and requested that UW be expedited, as my lock was about to expire, the customer care specialist told me that, he couldn't promise anything. There was no sense of urgency and there hasn't been throughout this whole ordeal. Irritated, at this point, I requested to speak with his supervisor and he told me that he was the best person to help me, and would not provide me with his superior's information.

When we spoke the following Tuesday, he told me that my lock had already expired! So they had to extend it. Rocket enjoys interpreting the regs in their own way. I am now being told that I can't close on the earliest available day (per regulations) because it's not the earliest date in their system. I explained that I hadn't made a mortgage payment and that my ex husband's credit would be affected if we didn't close asap, and again - no sense of urgency. To add to this entire mess, they're now telling me that they never were aware that I was using my own notary to close and that that would require special permission - which could take up to 48 hours. The request for that was supposed to be submitted yesterday but I was just told that it may not come back until Monday (it's Friday now), as it has not been submitted yet.

Furthermore, when I talk to title about it, it's a game of he said-she said. Rocket says it's up to title and title says its up to Rocket. Ultimately, this company is terrible. I would strongly DISCOURAGE anyone looking for a mortgage from using Rocket. If I didn't have an ex husband up my butt looking for his equity, I'd cancel this whole ** thing right now.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Misinformation. First the Mortgage stated I would receive a 5000 and change. No one had a clue they saw 3900. After speaking with 5 people it was decided to give me 1100. That couldn't happen until they researched the calls. Also I referred a friend I was told there was referral program. 4 people stated there was a program no one got back to me on details. I spoke to manager no program exist.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

Kind and courteous, very knowledgeable. The loan team worked very hard on my behalf. They were available via email or phone daily. I'm very happy and pleased to have them as my mortgage team. I would without a doubt recommend Rocket Mortgage to others.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I submitted an online inquiry with and subsequently received somewhere between six and ten calls a day from you. The idea that you would attract a customer by blowing up their phone for a couple of weeks is ridiculous and I'm so annoyed by the experience that I'm not interested in hearing whether or not you can help me with a home equity loan.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Everyone I worked with was wonderful. They kept me up to date on the process. The condo department dropped the ball. They inverted the phone number and was leaving messages at a wrong number. If they had listened to the recording, they would have known that. All in all, it was great, especially on such a short timeline.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

We finished making payments. We needed our escrow funds to pay our tax bill. They were supposed to transfer the funds electronically. We received an email that they would be mailing the check. Requested they overnight funds, they refused. Too stressful an experience. Terrible customer service. They do not care about customer service. Would never recommend.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

During our home buying process we had a lot of ups and downs but Garett was amazing, 5⭐️. But the second agent we had Erik was not amazing. They took over two weeks to verify the HOI then over two weeks to verify my husband's employment which is the Air Force meaning he has signed his life away for the next four years. At least 4 times they threatened to move our closing date to no fault but their own not ours. It’s not only our time that was being wasted but multiple other parties' times. It was honestly unprofessional how many time we had to call and get the ball even moving up to the day before closing. If Garett had been there the whole time I think it would have been better since he actually tried to keep us in the loop and was amazing. Erik gets 2.5⭐️

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I felt the team was engaged and stayed on top of my particular situation. The follow up was amazing and when they didn't know an answer, they told me so and then got back to me promptly. I wish my contractors had been as considerate and communicative!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

I contacted Rocket Mortgage to get a loan for a new home. The people I worked with at rock mortgage were all very helpful, professional, and friendly. They all helped complete the mortgage process in a timely manner. 10 out of 10, would do again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Very satisfied with Emily **... However we closed on August 1 and we still had to pay for August with our new mortgage due September 1. We did NOT get the 1 month skip for the mortgage payment!! The numbers got very sketchy after closing and we have yet to receive any reimbursements as of August 18.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Very knowledgeable, patient and professional banker to deal with as a first time home buyer. I will recommend him to everyone. His expertise and friendly patient demeanor meant quite a lot to me as I had no idea what to do without his guidance and support anytime of the day or evening!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

From start to finish in my home mortgage application process, we were treated with courtesy and respect by all of the Rocket Mortgage team. It was almost effortless and it was a real pleasure having them handle a normally stressful procedure.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Very efficient and easy. Took only a couple of weeks. Very friendly and helpful. All done online and submissions were completed easily and quickly. All promises were kept and questions answered promptly. 3rd mortgage with Rocket and will use again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Everyone I worked with was pleasant and professional. All questions answered promptly and service was awesome. Timeframe for process exceeded my expectations. I appreciated the realtor I was referred to and he was great to work with. I have already referred other family members and friends to both the realtor and Rocket Mortgage

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I have been a happy customer for 10 years and this last refi experience has made me want to run screaming from them. They promise way more than they deliver and the banker is just a salesman trying to make a commission.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

We were pushed out four weeks by the lenders and teams they work with and then ** hard out of our two months before first payment was due, highly unimpressed with the company and would never recommend. Glad it's done and over and personally never want to deal with any part of Rocket again. Cheers.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Everyone was helpful, dedicated, and knew what to do to keep us moving forward. The lender on our sale home was constantly behind, rescheduling our closing, changing dates, and it put us all in a complicated place for the purchase of the other home. Fortunately, all the Rocket team kept us going, adjusted as needed, and the realtor called the seller of Washington Avenue to keep them updated and get extensions for us. We finally were able to sign papers on both ends July 21st.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

This is my second experience with Rocket Mortgage and again I was very pleased with the thorough and professional way my business was handled. All the agents I dealt with were timely, concise and assuring. All facets of my transaction were a pleasure.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Everybody I interacted with was knowledgeable, courteous and professional. That, combined with the online dashboard which is simple, yet elegant, let me know exactly where I was in the process. It was a remarkably pleasant experience. So the refi experience was awesome.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Everyone at Rocket Mortgage were great to deal with, they did what they said and helped us with everything we needed to do to get our loan setup to be able to close on our house in record time (we managed to get it done 20 days before the deadline).

Original review: July 27, 2022

It all started with a dream of home ownership as I started a new job in the other half of the state. Times were looking bleak with the market noticed looking great and rates going up. But Rocket came through and had the lowest rate I could get for a 30yr fixed. The Rocket team put in a lot of work and help me through the first time home buyers process. Closing was on time and on budget and that helped a lot with moving planes and fixes to the house. Thank you Rocket.

Original review: July 27, 2022

We had great service from Ashleigh **, she was available whenever we needed her and was very helpful! Whenever we needed her to jump on a request she would. The entire team was very communicative about what we needed to do as first time home buyers that it made the entire process very easy. It was so easy that we were able to close a couple of days early.

Original review: July 27, 2022

When we requested preapproval, we were even sure we were buying a house. Kurt ** was simply amazing to work with. He continued to reach out and when we chose a home for purchase, he went above and beyond working with our realtor (who wasn't working to ensure things went smoothly for us) and ensuring things were in place for closing on an extremely tight and unreasonable deadline. I'm so impressed Rocket was able to make this purchase happen for us. HUGE shout out and much love to Kurt **!! Definitely recommend them for any future purchases or refinancing needs!!

Original review: July 26, 2022

The whole team was excellent. I started with financial support from Edward **. He really got the ball rolling in working towards getting our new home. Once his part was done, the other teams were really nice and answered all of our questions. They made us feel at ease thru the whole process.

Original review: July 26, 2022

Working with Hailee and the team was a great experience. We had many questions as this was our first home purchase. They were all so helpful! They were always prompt at returning phone calls and had answers to our questions.

Original review: July 25, 2022

Could not recommend Justin and Michael enough, they made the buying experience easy and fast! The whole team had my back the entire way. They all made the process simple and it didn’t take up much of my time by using DocuSign. I would purchase another home through Rocket Mortgage.

Rocket Mortgage Company Information