4.0/5 (1807 ratings)

Lock in your rate

Rates are expected to jump after the next Fed meeting

Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Rocket Mortgage

Rocket Mortgage (NMLS #3030) offers an online application process to help borrowers get home purchase loans and refinances. You can apply for a mortgage and manage the loan completely online through Rocket’s website or mobile app, and the company’s representatives are available by phone if needed. Rocket Mortgage is a popular option for refis in particular.

Pros

• Largest U.S. mortgage lender by 2021 numbers
  • Available nationwide
  • 100% online application

Cons

• No in-person services
  • No construction loans or HELOCs

Bottom Line

Rocket Mortgage provides a digital home loan experience. Some find the service impersonal, but others enjoy the convenience. Rocket Mortgage also offers customized recommendations and free educational resources.

Rocket Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Rocket Mortgage?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I have been with Rocket Mortgage for quite some time. Earning in excess of 12K monthly, I was in a position to finally get into a 10 year fixed at 2.25%. Great deal, excellent service, really impressed. Found myself unemployed for the first time in my life in January of 2022, and struggled meeting all obligations. I have never missed a mortgage payment since I have owned real estate, over 40 years! I received an offer to start working in January of 2023. I contacted Rocket in August about options. I had read that they could defer a few payments to the end of my loan. Instead I was set up on a "forbearance" program. Found out they will only re-structure my loan and add 4% and additional length to my loan. After to speaking with multiple reps, including the "executive team" , they advised me that this what they decided. When I advised them that I was mislead, they said, "It all in your documents."

I took money out of retirement account and paid in full the 3 back payments that they are now saying was not an option. Basically they looked at my low mortgage rate and maybe decided it was not as good for Rocket as it could be at the higher rates. In the meantime, I have 3 missed payments on my credit report, my score has dropped rom 748 to 580! I have recommended Rocket multiple times to friends and associates, but no longer will. VERY DISSAPPOINTED.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

This was the easiest platform and customer service experience I’ve received while trying to refinance. Amazing. I tried Wells Fargo prior to this and what a nightmare. This was by far the best experience I’ve had! Thank you. I could not say enough about the great service I received. I would gladly do business with rocket again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I cannot begin to say how pleased I was with the whole experience. I had tried another company before Rocket and had poor service and basically a runaround. Rocket took care of me and made sure I was up to speed with everything. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone who needs loan services.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

Kyle was just a total rockstar to work with. He made everything so easy and always was able to answer all the question asked. He was a blessing to have for our mortgage. The help Kyle have was very helpful and heart felt. He was always on top of the process and helped my wife and I feel comfortable. Thank you Kyle.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2022

We had a great experience with Rocket Mortgage. Everyone was helpful, and the process was easy and quick. Every step of the process was available for you to see. The system was amicable and easy to use. The closing was done in a professional and timely manner

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I was able to apply and upload all necessary documents online, making the process easy right from my home office. I had a dedicated representative throughout the process. They sent an appraiser to my home and completed an appraisal. When it was time to close they sent a notary to my home. I was very impressed by the level of ease and service I received. Highly recommend.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with Rocket Mortgage - our Rep - Jessica ** was AMAZING - she answered all my questions quickly - always had me ready and one step ahead - the website is so easy to use and helps you stay on track of what you need to do and upload - plus we learned a lot about the lending process - we had a five star experience and DEFINITELY recommend to a friend - our realtor also loved it and will be referring Rocket Mortgage as well.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

Thank you to everyone who helped with my refi. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. Any hurdles were easily overcome by various teams throughout the company with an easy resolution. I could not say one negative thing about the process.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

Devin ** should be commended for such top tier service. He made the process streamline and stress free. From the very start of the process he kept me in the loop and communicated with me via text, email and phone calls. I never worried about the process!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

Refinance was a great experience with knowledgeable and friendly staff that worked very hard to get me the best rate that worked with my personal budget. I would recommend Rocket Mortgage for anyone looking to start a mortgage or refinance an existing mortgage.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

It was such a smooth transition from Quicken Loans to Rocket Mortgage. Signing paperwork online was great so by the time the person who had all the paperwork came over everything went so quickly!! I would highly recommend Rocket Mortgage to anybody!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Do not trust this mortgage company. A bunch of liars and thieves. Never gave back my money. Natalie never gets back to you on calls. Terrible customer service. Doesn't go beyond for you. Tells you what you will get and lied. Paid them 500 and never got it back. Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

I writing to express my total dissatisfaction with the process, after being approved for a loan and spend a lot of money doing reparations in the property that we want to buy, my wife and me discovered that they did not want to approve the loan because we needed to replace part of the roof. We had already invested a few hundred dollars in the property and we had a grant for the total repair of the roof of the property, which we could only use once we signed the closing papers. We will never use Rocket Mortgage services again, time and stress are irrecoverable.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

If you have a choice of Mortgage Companies and their servicers, do EVERYTHING you can to avoid Rocket Mortgage. Their staffs are typical Detroit-breakdown. No ability to deal with you as a specific customer. Only thing that THEY SAY matters to them is to follow processes which grind down the customer, regardless of loan-to-value metrics or the customer's needs. I had an insurance claim for a new roof for $29,840 and they withheld $22,604 of it in an ESCROW account which I can't access - with no instruction or notice how to navigate their "system". Scammed by roofers. Scammed by insurance. And now scammed by Rocket. NOT the Dan Gilbert I know.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Chris was very educated on the loan process. He went above and beyond to help me on the purchase of my new home. This is my first time buying a home and I am no spring chicken. I was clueless on everything. Chris walked me through it all. He even answered emails late and on weekends. I wouldn't of been able to get my house without Chris **. He was amazing.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Megan ** was very helpful. The process after working with Megan got frustrating as there were about 4 or 5 other people. It got frustrating talking to so many different people. But we were overall happy with the beginning and the person who helped at the end. Sorry I don't have her name but she was a good person to close with.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

I can’t speak highly enough about my experience with this company! From start to finish, they made it incredibly easy and seamless. Everything online and digital signing when possible. Contact via email or text or phone and always checking in. The online platform was super easy to navigate and use. Every single person I dealt with from start to finish was very knowledgeable and friendly and always willing to help and go above and beyond to make sure I had what I needed. I will recommend to anyone in the future and will stick with them for any future purchases.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I decided to give this company a try because I’ve come to know it as a ubiquitous brand in home loans. At first, everything was great and easy, everyone was super responsive. Was told by my loan handler that he doesn’t take on anyone unless he knows it’s a slam dunk. Bragged about being on CNBC (which admittedly, did make me think I was in good hands). I explained that I was a 1099 contractor and that my income has been a problem in the past. Was told to rest assured that these things will not be an issue with him handling my loan. I noticed my closing costs were exceptionally high, and when I inquired as to reason why, they were magically able to drop them by $7000 with the same interest rate.

When we got to within 10 business days of closing, my loan handler called me to tell me the underwriter can’t use any of my 1099 income and I no longer qualify for the loan unless I have someone write me an offer of employment letter for some arbitrary amount of income after the closing date. This felt fraudulent, so I went with another lender and not only got a lower rate, but even cheaper closing costs. This company seems predatory and I would avoid at all costs, in my opinion.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

Rocket went over the top to close on my loan. My agent was Kwesi **, he was excellent and went over and above at his job. All other support prior to closing was extremely helpful and very polite. Completely satisfied with the level of service I received.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Very competent people helped walk us thru the process of securing a mortgage and kept us informed all the way thru by telling what was needed to get the loan completed. All of the staff we dealt with was very courteous and knowledgeable.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

My first experience a few years ago was not good. But this one was so much better. Julie was awesome and made me feel like I was in good hands. The whole team was informative and listened to what I wanted and needed.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2022

All employees were helpful. When calling and talking to whichever person whether Justin or Reem they always got back to me fast depending on the questions or time of day. Great team all around. Thank you for allowing me to get my first home.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Use extreme caution and if possible, just go with someone else. What they don't tell you: THEY WILL SELL YOUR LOAN FOR PROFIT. They will tell you nothing will change but this is NOT TRUE. Here's the story: The process started easy enough, the agent whom I was dealing with made everything sound super easy and I genuinely liked him at first. A big selling point of our home was the monthly payment. We were determined to stay within a certain range. The price we were given was a bit higher than we expected; however, the agent informed us that there was a PMI on the loan. He said that its a bit more to pay now... but being that we got SUCH a good deal on the house, we would only have to wait around a year to get this off.

Furthermore, he said that if we wanted to get this off sooner, that all we needed to do was increase the value of our home to meet the criteria. We put at least 20k into the home and then called back. The lady made a list of the improvements and informed us that all we needed was to allow them to come do their own appraisal and we'd be good to go, PMI free. I needed a little time to get the fee together that they asked for and when I called back, I was informed that my loan was suddenly sold to another company... I was assured absolutely nothing would change and that the list we made would be forwarded over to seamlessly complete the process.

Upon speaking to the new company, they did receive the list; however, they have different policies and now I would only be able to take off the PMI if I paid over 22k to my principal balance. We would have used the 20k we put into the house IF WE WERE NOT LIED TO. Instead, we are stuck struggling with a payment that is higher than promised until God knows when. It's all a big scheme to have you lose your home and they MAKE MORE MONEY off the poor. Be smarter than me and choose a more trustworthy investor.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Went fairly smoothly. There were a few glitches on getting forms signed and back in a timely matter. But once everything was in closing happened pretty quickly. It would have been quicker if the payoff went to our account, and we could have paid down our creditors a lot faster.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Our senior Banker, AJ, was the best. He explained every step of the process to me and made sure we were getting the best deal possible. I turned to him whenever I had a question or concern and he always took the time to listen. The process took about 60 days from applying to closing. Highly recommend Rocket Mortgage.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Our experience was good. The only thing that irritated me was trying to get in touch with our contact person. I would call and leave a voice mail to call me back and she didn't. I'd call again...same lack of response. I was just about to give up the whole thing when I finally got to talk to someone who helped and from then on things went smoothly.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

My experience with Rocket Mortgage: Before you say I should have bought with someone else...It isn't that simple and I'm not interested in hearing that because it isn't helpful so just don't go there. We bought this house with Rocket Mortgage in June 2021 with Brian on the loan and both of us on the deed, written as Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. Basically that meant if one of us died, the house would automatically belong to the other. Brian died in November. I waited to notify them because I was afraid they would foreclose on the house, but as I learned more about what happens when your spouse dies with an open mortgage, I realized Federal Law prevents a mortgage company from foreclosing on a home loan where the payments are kept current and there is a successor in interest.

When I was ready, in April, I started the process to identify myself as a successor in interest and take legal responsibility for the mortgage. Federally backed mortgages are assumable, meaning that as long as someone meets income and creditworthiness guidelines, that person can assume payment and responsibility for the loan. I submitted bank statements, credit check, proof of reserves and all that comes with applying for a mortgage. The advantage to an assumption is that all the terms of the loan stay the same, just that the payment responsibility changes hands. This meant that I could keep the 2.25% interest rate we got last year, instead of being at the mercy of the volatile housing market and paying 6-7% and having a much larger monthly payment going to interest.

The process moved really quickly after I called them in August to ask why they hadn't contacted me yet, since I submitted my intent in April. It all happened in less than a month. Closing date was scheduled for September 21st. On that day, this house we're living in became my legal responsibility. My name and my name only are on the closing documents. Rocket sent me an email and said they would reach out in a few days with more information and that my account would be updated to be able to make payments. First payment was due October 1st, but my account never updated so I called my loan officer, and he said to log into Brian's account to make the payment. I did that and called corporate to explain the situation and find out what the problem was.

I was told by someone named Josh that the problem was, since I assumed a loan, I could not have online access to the mortgage or the payment system for security reasons because the documents were Brian's. (Documents that also belong to me...that I signed as well). He said that I was welcome to sign up for autopay over the phone, but I would never have the ability to pay online or view any documents online. This doesn't make any sense. Why would a multinational ONLINE lender not have the ability to grant me online access to pay MY mortgage? I have since been given multiple excuses as to why they won't do it. They won't even send me a paper statement because the previous mortgage loan was enrolled in paperless billing.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

I recall being told that part of the monies taken out would be paid to my debtor(s). But in fact, Rocket Mortgage drafted checks and mail them to me directly. I found this to be a great inconvenience as everything is done electronically these day. ll I believe that Rocket could do better in this area. All the other lenders provide a web portal where you can enter the your debtor's name and account number and submit payment approval. Additionally, Rocket has no safety net for discriminating (racist) home appraisers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

Started refinancing in March. Jump thru every hoop they ask. We moved all of our house stuff into our attached garage due to me waiting on a liver for a transplant so when the appraisal was done they said my house was Abandoned. Which there was some stuff in the house but we were trying to remodel. After about 6 months we were denied because all of my furniture was not in the house. Worst Experience we ever had.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

I tried twice to pay off this company of, per their instructions, I was NOT able to accomplish that. Once was due to their dinging my wire $50 and then they said my pay off was short that amount, WTH was that about, they then also dinged me another $50 to return the wire, thank god my bank credited me back that amount but as far as every doing business with Rocket again that's very slim to NONE. They are very accommodating at the the start and then pass you along to many, many, many others to the point where you don't have any one person you can connect with that really understands you as a customer! I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE ROCKET AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T EITHER!

Rocket Mortgage Company Information