1.8/5 (49 ratings)

About Ria Financial Services

Ria Financial Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ria Financial Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ria Financial Services?

Original review: July 30, 2020

Do not use their services. I had an account created and I forgot the password. They locked my account because of too many failed attempts. Meanwhile, I used other companies for my money transfer needs. I called them to sort out the issue and the customer rep tells me to make a new account with a different email ID. I told him my phone number has not changed so it will not register another account. He kept on repeating the same thing and hung up on me. I have never worked as a customer rep but anybody with basic common sense would this. This shows the kind of people they hire to work for them. You can use their services but God help you when you need to talk to a representative. And yeah I forgot to mention before calling them, call it off at work because it takes at least an hour to reach a customer representative. Then he will give you some stupid advice and you will have to wait for a hour again to speak with someone and the cycle continues.

Original review: June 15, 2020

Today I went to Wal-Mart to send money and never in my life have I been subjected to such intrusive questions. The first question was, "I see that you just had a birthday, and..." The next questions set me off and the lady in line was more pissed than me. She proceeded to ask me who and why I'm sending MY Money, my Money to my sister in Texas. When was the last time I had seen her, where why was I sending that amount, did I know her? Since when has Wal-Mart be a registered police agency? I understand that people get scammed, but I'm standing there in a shirt saying support 44 Devils Disciples Boston Mass. She then tells me to take my card out of the payment terminal and it cancels the whole ordeal. She then shuts down the terminal to reboot. By then Idgara about it.

Then as we go to round 2 I refused to answer some willy washed woman a can says I have to answer, in no I do not. So you're gonna get the same answer until you give me back my card. She says all New England Wal-Marts do it, no they do not. I have never been asked such questions.. You are not my spouse, You do not support me or mine. It is my money which I earn. You may not ask me anything at all. I am not money laundering, I am not involved in racketeering. I am not committing mail or wire fraud, so you better have a police officers license to ask me any questions whatsoever. It is against the law. I will never ever do anything with Wal-Mart again. Oh and To a be ready you either produce why you are asking and who have you told beside the police department. Ria is the point of sale. They said to call MoneyGram, moneygram said to call Walmart. So who is lying to their consumer. You all better fess up. Can you smell the lawsuit???

Original review: May 21, 2020

I sent $300 USD to my family overseas who really needed the money. After they picked up the funds in the local currency, the amount they received was $60 USD less than they should have received. They FRAUDULENTLY claimed that the shortfall was due to a currency conversion. These THIEVES are saying that 20% of my transfer was lost due to a currency conversion! They are LIARS and it's obvious that someone has EMBEZZLED these funds. DO NOT USE THESE CRIMINALS!!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

I went to Walmart to pick 100 dollars. The cashier say I Couldn't receive the money and call the 855#. I called and 4 representative said my account was not blocked. The sender was on the phone with me. They verify he sent the money. A rep talked to the cashier two time to tell them what to do but in the end they told the sender to pick up their money. And told me they Couldn't tell me why I Couldn't receive the money. I called to say it fraud or just what. This company can't be real if you want to report fraud to the compliance department but there is not no to report it to.

Original review: May 4, 2020

I am so angry, I am a disabled armed force veteran so I take duty and honesty very serious. I receive support money from my ex-husband every month via transfer for years so clearly if they look at records they could easily call and inquire any suspicion. To be placed on a consumer fraud list for no apparent reason and be told "well ma'am it's happening to a lot of our customers right now due to consumer fraud alert and we don't know when it will be rectified" is absolutely ridiculous! No guidelines for this, even the first representative was baffled. It's just absolute discrimination and it's not right. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else again?

Original review: April 9, 2020

RIA mobile app kept crashing with message 'transaction unsuccessful' and whereas the transactions were successful multiple times. When I called customer service to revoke the transaction they said it couldn't be done. I ended up having multiple transactions charged at my bank due to which I had account overdrafts. Very very Very disappointed in services.

Resolution response: Jan. 5, 2020

I had previous experiences, I have sent money before without problems. However, when things mess up, they are not quick to fix it, they had an internal error, and charged my account multiple times, then cancelled the transfer. But they only refund the extra charges, I had spent hours to call them, email them about the issue, finally they fixed it but it took a month. So I changed my start rating from one to two.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

On December 3rd they charged me 3 times, my account got overdraft, then they cancel the transfer, and return 2 of 3 charges, the original one has not been returned, it is nor more than 3 weeks, I called RIA 5 times, each time they told me something else and told me to wait, I sent them bank statements showing them what error they made, each time have to explain the story from beginning, I do not know what to do, It is like begging them to give my money back. I spent a lot of time to call them. I need to pay my bills, late fees will be added if i don't. I am trying the learn a way to sue them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

I attempted to use Ria Money transfer to send an online wire transfer to pick up in store to myself. I broke my debit card and can't get a new one or go directly to the bank as I work out of town and my bank is a small military bank in Oklahoma. I am sending money to myself so I can get back home to Texas yet somehow this is a security risk. I can't imagine how, but sure. I spoke with Ana and Jonathan in the Verification Department. They were both incredibly rude. Ana informed me that my account would be locked forever, and I can never use their service for "security reasons". I ask her how to close the account then as I don't want my information, especially my card information, kept on file with them. She informs me that I can't do any such thing.

They get to keep my information on file permanently, and I can never use their service. Super helpful. I inform her that this is fraudulent, and I would like to speak to a supervisor. She lets me talk to Jonathan who is NOT a supervisor and every bit as rude. I asked him how on earth customer service people can be so nasty to which he responds that they are NOT customer service, they are the verification department. To me that makes no difference. You are dealing with customers, you should not be rude.

I proceed to ask Jonathan how I can get my account closed and information removed from their database. He informs me that I cannot and offers nothing more than his word that it will be secure. He says they have to keep my information on file because if I were to attempt to create another account they would need it so they could prevent me from doing so. No worries there, I will NEVER use this service again (or attempt to anyway).

I feel like there should be some sort of recourse or a class action lawsuit against these people as they do not provide the service they advertise, their "customer service" is an absolute joke if ever there was one, and they get to keep all of the information anyone would need to fraudulently charge my account to their little heart's content, and I apparently can do nothing about it.

I called the customer service line which was still useless, although that kid was at least polite. He promised to get a supervisor on the line and ended up transferring me back to who? JONATHAN! He insisted that Ana IS the supervisor, so I ask who is HER supervisor then as I want to speak to that person. He proceeds to inform me again that she is the supervisor (not what I asked), and since there doesn't seem to be anything more he can do for me, he is just going to go ahead and disconnect the call, and he hangs up on me after I spent half an hour on hold to get that far!

Do NOT waste your time, money, sanity, or security using this company. It will not end well. You will end up not being able to complete your transaction, and they will have your information on file, and good luck getting that changed. I am not the type who writes reviews very often unless they are because something was insanely awesome, but for this joke of a company, I had to. I had to do what I could to warn anyone and everyone that I possibly could. This service is not worth it. You will regret it, I promise you. After the fourth phone call and the fourth time being transferred back to the same rude people, I have finally been told a supervisor's name so we shall see how that goes come Monday.

I have also been told that no matter what I say or do or want, they can and will keep my information on file, period. Do NOT give these people your information. You most likely won't get the service you were looking for in the first place, and you will get a whole lot of headache out of the deal. The fact that when you call their customer service line, the first option to choose is if you have had your account charged multiple times. That tells me it's a very common occurrence on the rare occasion that they actually process your transaction online. Save yourself the headache and the stress and just go elsewhere...you will end up having to go somewhere else anyway most likely, so just save yourself the headache and go elsewhere to begin with.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

They also blocked me from receiving money from anybody. I called numerous times as well as my senders as to why I could not receive money, time and time they said for security purposes. They could not give any of us a reason. So as of this day December 16, 2019 I still can not receive money. They left me and my grandchildren broke and out of gas at Walmart.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Ria just debited the amount thrice (2800$) from my checking account for a single transaction (2800$) which made my checking over-drafted and it caused huge impact in credit score and penalty fee. Not recommended while transferring through Ria.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Ria just debited the amount thrice (9000$) from my checking account for a single transaction (3000$) which made my both checking and savings accounts over-drafted and could cause huge impact in credit score and penalty fee. They made us feel like a beggar for money to settle down the account.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

This company advertises about their online service and telephone app, with competitive prices and broad world coverage. Once you go online, open an account and go through the entire process to send a transfer, once you enter, it closes your account request you call a telephone number, where they tell you that the country you are sending to they have experienced problems, for you to go to their store, where they can do the transfer for a much higher fee. If they know this when you are entering the transfer information, why not give you the warning before you complete the entire process. This is called bait and switch and it is fraud.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

With no reason apparently, it's the second one who blocked my account, those financial money transfer company are freaking nowadays. The worst is they don't contact the client to try to resolve the problem first: they shoot and then we have to beg them to be asked questions!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I went to Walmart to send $1800 to a family friend who is also a client. I have know this person since she was a child. The money was her money due at the end of a transaction. She recently moved to Arizona and I am in Washington. The fellow at Walmart said she would need her ID and the number on the receipt to pick up the money. Took a pic of the number she needed to pick up the money and sent it to her.

About 30 minutes later she calls me. She is at Walmart and they won't give her the money!?!? WTH! She says I have to call a number before they will release it. Before I can call the number the phone rings and someone with a very heavy accent says there is a Fraud Alert and if I answer a few questions they will release the money. Fine. Whatever. She asks me, "Do you know the person you are sending money to?" "Yes. I've known her over 20 years." "Are you buying something?" "No. I am returning her money to her." "Did someone coach you on how to answer these questions?" "No." "Thank you ma'am. Please hang on while I enter this in the system." And she comes back on and tells me she can't release the money. It isn't just my transaction. It's nationwide. I call BS.

First of all a nationwide fraud alert is so victims of identity theft can call one place and get their information out to all credit and law enforcement agencies at once. The woman at the other end of the phone says the alert is in her system. Maybe I sent it from a store with fraud or something. According to 'Elizabeth' using Walmart triggered a 'nationwide fraud alert'. OK If there was a nationwide fraud alert why are you asking me questions telling me you are going to release the money? I asked to speak to a manager and I am told there are no managers there only supervisors and she is only going to tell me the same thing. Which she does. And again I ask for a manager. She tells me someone will contact me within 72 hours.

Meanwhile I am to go to the store and pick up my money. They will only release it to me. I am so frustrated. What a hassle! I don't know what they were doing or why as they didn't explain themselves. I asked for their names and I asked if they were in America. "Yes" she says, "we are Bonapart, California." Really? No such city in California.

Now I have to go back to Walmart, pick up the money and send it to her another way. RIA may be a little cheaper than Western Union but it isn't worth it. Since Ria is Walmart's new carrier I will not be sending money through Walmart anymore. Avoid Ria at all costs. They are not in America, they are overseas. They ask a lot of questions, you think you are just answering for security but they are collecting information. Why use a company that is just going to bounce the money back to you? Mail a check, it'll be easier.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I sent money to my brother in Lakeland, Fl. for his car insurance payment no problem. Now 1 week later, time for him to pay me back. He sends money and gets the pick up by sender BS that everyone seems to complain about and he calls the 855#. They tell him to pick up his money. He picked up and resubmitted under his girlfriend's name to me and again same thing. I call to find out what is going on and they won't tell me anything other than she and he have to call to verify. They did and they told them that the system is down. So I wait 6-8 hrs and Walmart still saying I can't pick up. On the phone now on hold with company the whole time I am writing this review. This company needs to go or revamp with customer service in mind and get a little faster. A 30 min wait time for compliance dept. is horrible.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I don't post reviews easily, in fact this has been my first review ever. The reason I decided to write this review is because I understand people can be benefited through reviews and better decisions can be made. I was threatened by a customer representative who literally said "I can do something on my end"... And he insinuates that he had all my information after I asked for his name. The interaction with this person was not pleasant and I did not feel safe at all.

As a customer I want to make sure that my transactions are safe and that Ria honors customer business and that personal information is, above all, protected. I have never been threatened by a customer agent before and it is quite scary the fact that I have trusted Ria with my personal information. I have contacted customer service and supervisors about this incident and they have been negligent in solving the problem. Please be aware of potential threat and unpleasant customer service experience when a situation arise.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Very bad service. Customer support is pathetic. I am using Remitly from year. I have some minor problem initially but now all set. I am just want to try other and I go for Ria. Very much bad service. They have took almost day to verify account. Phone call is going person by person and no resolution. Finally I told them to close my account and surprisingly instead of asking problem they closed the account. Thank god I got problem in initial stage.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I attempted to send $100 (with the cost of $8 fee separate) to my son in law on Friday 8-2-19 in Texas (from California). When he tried to pick it up, he was told the "sender has to pick up"?? I called the RIA Financial Service, answered all of their "fraud" questions (all of which were appropriate responses to not be a fraud issue), but was still told they refused to release the funding to my family. SO, I put a boycott message on Facebook, filed a federal complaint, and now listing this in Consumer Affairs. What right to do have to withhold money I sent to my family????

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I recently discovered Ria Money while searching for options to send money from the United States to my family in the Ukraine. 1. What Ria does not disclose until you are sending money is that there are additional bank fees and taxes to be paid by the person receiving the money. In short...if you send $100.00 USD they do not necessarily get $100.00 USD. 2. The website was slow and unstable. When transferring I received a message that while it was not my fault the transaction could not be completed and to try again later.

3. Their account verification is ponderous in that one must wait to receive two small deposits. 4. Once I had completed everything and was told that the funds were sent I received an email, after the fact, stating that the transaction was cancelled and that I would no longer be allowed to send money with their service. Entering my banking information and receiver information was a waste of my time. I highly recommend Xoom money transfer having had a wonderful experience with them. More expensive upfront but no fees on the receiver's end and signing up was very easy.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Always made transactions with the same person and then I go to get $700 and they flag me. Said something about fraud and true and I think we should start a class action lawsuit... Because they are money services. Hello. They charge is there a fee and then flag us.

Original review: July 14, 2019

They canceled my account and after I got all the information they asked for they said they couldn't reopen the account because it's a 'high risk country'. They wasted 3 hours of my life to tell me I was banned because I had asked them to cancel my transaction. These people are as sketchy as they come. Remitly is better and their customer service is better. ** these people!

Original review: June 18, 2019

Thought not to add to the endless parade of poor reviews regarding this company, but then reconsidered, as the more references out there the better! Attempted money transfers twice over last 12 months to the same end - cancelled due to high-risk area. The first time was to my friend in Bangkok, and though they should still have processed utilizing security measures, I accepted the denial as I'm sure there are many scams in that region. But the second attempt was to that same friend now living in a small town in northeast Italy. Again they claimed high-risk area and refused to process the transfer. Both times I was instructed to visit one of their physical locations to send using cash. Guess they have forgotten the year is 2019, not 1982... Would use Western Union if I wanted to take time from running my business to go visit a brick-and-mortar location and pay exorbitant fees.

I pointed out courteously that their service was useless if they cancel most every online transfer attempt, but they reacted both times as if they hear that routinely, which I'm sure they do. They themselves resemble a scam, as they mimic online money transfer companies, but really want everyone to use their actual locations to maximize their profits and eliminate any risks. So Bravo RIA, mission accomplished, your company is exactly that which you claim to want to avoid, a scam! FYI: Been using Sharemoney for over a year and they are outstanding! However they have a very limited country list, so not an option in many cases. Attempting to transfer through MoneyGram over last few days, and though it has been a challenge for security reasons also, they are very proactive and helpful. Believe all will be well once the security "Kinks" are worked out.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Every time I made a transfer it was flagged for fraud, even subsequent transfers to the same individual. This last transfer they asked for my driver's license and then kicked me out so I can't use it anymore, saying it was flagged as a business transaction and they didn't allow business transactions. So now I can't even get in to see my account history. They weren't very helpful either, I say stay away. Use someone else.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Used Walmart to Walmart many times to send & receive money. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2017. Ended up with 6 surgeries, chemo and radiation treatments. Was out of work 10 months and mounting medical bills over $250,000.00. All bills are behind and my aunt was kind enough to send me $2000.00 today loan until I am able to get back on my feet. She did not hesitate as I had done the same thing for her when she needed a loan. I went to Walmart. Gave rep my ID and ref #. Only to be told at 7:35 pm the transaction was on hold and my aunt had to call the 855# at the top of the receipt to RIA.

They asked her to verify her info, my info, how we were related and why she sent me the money. She answered all their questions and was placed on hold 3 times because she was on her cell phone with me while she spoke to RIA on her home phone. They told her there was fraud and my aunt said there was no fraud because she confirmed she sent the money to me. Needless to say they would not release the money to me but they had no problem taking her money to begin with and she said they never once told her about any fraud. Their own website says you can send up to $2500.00 online and any over this amount to go to Walmart or agent. This company is the worst. Will never use this service again.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was told to use Ria as it was better than Western Union - cheaper yes if you can get it to work. My first transaction was 500 Swiss Francs from Sydney Australia to Switzerland. The money came out of my account, with fee and a $15 fee for paying by bank transfer - that costs nothing so that is a straight rip off. I sent the code and when my friend tried to get the money it was denied. It had been canceled by Ria and no reason given. The money was to pay doctors bill that afternoon for a very sick elderly gentleman.

I rang up and they asked if I had been to Switzerland, well no. But nowhere does it say that is a condition. I was then asked when I met the recipient. Nowhere does it say I must have physically met the recipient. When I said Israel, I was asked to send my passport with stamp and visa. Well, if anyone has been to Israel they will know that they do not put visas and stamps in your passport.

I was asked to provide proof I went to Israel, I managed to find a hotel bill from 2015! I sent that off and they then wanted the passport of the recipient!!! I was told I would be rung the next day between 9 and 10 am. I was not. When I got home (it was a Friday) I rang and was told the compliance was closed and would not be open to Monday. I thought it was a 24/7 service - obviously not. They still have my money and fees. Ria seems to make up the rules as they go. I have never had such poor service and where is my money!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I live in West Central New Mexico on a ranch. I drive to town 75 miles away about once a week. While in Silver City at Walmart, I gave them $750 to send to my son in Houston. The money was so he could finish getting my motorcycle painted. Cost $8.00. Not too bad. The receipt said Walmart2Walmart. The money would be available in 10 minutes. That was on 1/3/2019. This morning I asked my son if he had got the money. He said no, I had to call Ria and talk to them. So I did, went thru all the fraud questions and then had the agent say they were denying the transaction for security reasons. I said, "Ok, give me my money back." His answer was I had to make the 150 mile round trip to Walmart again to get my money back.

I hung up and made a formal complaint with them. The emailed response was go to Walmart. Then they sent 2 emails, once asking how happy I was with their customer service, and the second telling me just how great their new money transfer service was. I will never use their services again. I am going to file a complaint with both Walmart and with the State Attorney General. We shall see what happens. By the way I wouldn't even give them 1 star, except that is lowest it goes.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

So I decided to go with Ria to send money to my wife $2100 in Dominican Republic. I followed all their rules to verified my identity and ownership of my banking account. It supposed to be simple bank to bank transfer. I provided my wife SWIFT code and it was denied, BanReservas popular bank in DR. I called customer service explained my problem and been told at this moment Ria do not operate with this bank. So I changed option to cash pickup from their selection options and picked Caribe Express... I gave them my banks info routing and account number and they made two small deposits to verify account.

Three days later two mail deposits appeared in my checking account and simply entered those numbers and completed my transaction. About 4 hours later my transaction is canceled and this what they claimed was the reason "your banks could not approve the funds" ... Meanwhile I have over $10,000 available, called the bank and everything was okay on their end. They mentioned two small deposits from Ria but there was no attempt to withdraw any amount of money by Ria. When I called Ria I got this rude lady talking out of nonsense out of her mind, did not let me explain. I say two words she is interrupting constantly so I asked why my transaction was canceled?

She gave two different versions from what is say in my email cancellation notice. She basically claims this is suspicious transfer and that part of country is full of scammers. I told her originally I wanted deposit that money to my wife's bank from my bank so that did not work and Ria representative told to use cash pickup. Now a minute later she says I can complete this transaction if I take my cash and bring to Ria's locations 7 eleven or Duane Read... So now I'm confused! Is not dangerous or suspicious anymore if I bring cash to their agents and still able to send it to same locations I tried before. I lost my patience, so then I use my loud voice and ask her "is okay for me to walk around with $2100 in my pocket to make this more legit?"

Now this the worse part of this story, next day my bank sends me texts and emails about suspicious activity on my checking account, my debit card and my credit card!!! RIA is the SCAMMERS and FRAUD. At first they collect all your info either they use it or give to someone else. I did read peoples reviews and bad experience with Ria...but they got me on that $2 transfer fee and good conversion exchange rate. PEOPLE stay away from them. Don't let this happen to you. Now I have to replace everything, checks, autopay and still be on lookout. Today I decided to use XOOM a PayPal service smooth transaction stupid me not going with more reliable service and learning hard-way.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Quoted $3 for a transfer. Ria layer refused to complete the transfer and demanded higher fees. The $3 fee is STILL quoted on the site. I've asked the honor the fee in the quote and they refuse. So first expect them to try and bait-and-switch the fees you are expected to pay. When you call customer service, they are powerless to help.

They will send you to some verification group that told me to just use some other service if Ria doesn't seem trustworthy. Well Ria... when you bait-and-switch, you don't appear trustworthy. Maybe my request to talk to management about this issue should have resulted in a transfer to management versus them just hanging up the call on me. Given that, you can only talk to powerless CS or indifferent-bordering-on-rude verification... and management, as they are unwilling to be involved, won't care. I'll gladly change my review here >if< Ria wants to act in an ethical, professional manner about the transaction but at this point they refuse.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I have no issues with RIA money transfer. But their referral bonus scheme is a complete ripoff. Honestly, I referred 3 of my friends in the recent past and ensured they clicked the referral link and made a successful transfer. Even so, they denied the referral bonus saying a clumsy reason. So I would strongly recommend NOT to recommend your friends to RIA if your intention is just to earn referral bonus.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Poorly trained staff giving invalid and incomplete instructions. Poor communication skills. Unacceptable response time. It took several hours of trying to get this resolved. The last person put me on hold for 1 hr and then it disconnected automatically. Resolved the next day.

Ria Financial Services Company Information