PNC Bank

PNC Bank

3.4/5 (764 ratings)

About PNC Bank

PNC is a banking service and mortgage provider. It offers its borrowers perks like interest rate discounts, cashback rewards and more. While it doesn’t operate in every state, PNC lets you manage your mortgage payments online. It does have credit score requirements for some of its loan products.

PNC Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC?

Original review: July 28, 2022

Virtual wallet is by far the worst banking “tool” I have ever used. My account balance is rarely correct. I literally have to keep an old school ledger for accuracy, otherwise I would have found myself in trouble multiple times. It has been off by several thousand dollars for multiple days in a row with them counting on the fact that the person will end up overdrafting as a result. Pending transactions don’t even appear much of the time or they will show up only to disappear later on then reappear once they post to the account. They also wait exceptionally long periods of time to post transactions as well in order to maximize overdraft fees and they are always for larger amounts. Never have I seen a $3 debit withheld, but $300? All the time.

I also fully understand that it is up to the merchant regarding when you are charged, however, I highly doubt Amazon waits nearly ten days to do this after you have already received the item. It’s beyond ridiculous. Apparently, PNC has been guilty of these same reprehensible business practices in the past and they changed nothing. Never in my 42 years have I encountered a bank who operates like this. I’ve never had to worry that my account balance is constantly wrong and it’s shocking to me more people haven’t complained online. I have numerous screenshots and documentation proving these are regular occurrences, and I will be closing my accounts out by the end of this week. Good riddance PNC.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Received correspondence that my Simple account, which was opened purely out of curiosity of an online-only bank and contained merely $20, was being transitioned to BBVA. And, by that time, I was no longer able to login and close the account. Later, received correspondence from BBVA that the account was being transitioned, yet again, to PNC. And, once again, I was given no clear route to close the account and it seemed similarly locked out from any online access.

Now, receiving correspondence from PNC that the account contains only $5 and will be diminished further due to fees being levied to which I never agreed and were not part of the original Simple account. Emailing PNC yields no reply. Calling PNC yields excuses that the account cannot be accessed and that, instead, only phone or in-person contact with a local branch can yield access to the account...For what, may I remind you, began as an online-only account. Quite convenient that PNC added these fees while everyone was distracted with COVID...

Original review: July 22, 2022

I've had the PNC SmartAccess card for several months now, and I can say I love it. The mobile app is convenient and works great, the card is absolutely beautifully designed, and customer service is very helpful and professional. Plus, customer care is available 24/7 unlike customer care with Virtual Wallet Account(s) which I had and hated that's why I switched to their prepaid card. The card is great for people who don't want a standard checking, teens & young adults, and also for people who have had a troubled banking past. The downside is: NO MOBILE CHECK DEPOSIT! The NO mobile deposit is a big inconvenience and I hope that can be added in the future. Other than that the card has been pretty good and great using!

Original review: June 15, 2022

Applied for a HELOC and working with the PNC Branch at Advent Ct, Waverly Place, Cary, NC. The process is fraught with confusion, there is no employee accountability. The communication is incomplete, poorly written, and unprofessional. The employees do not timely call back or call back at all. The Branch Manager is as bad as the employees. I submitted a package based upon their request, dropped it off at the bank with the Branch Manager, then receive a request for more information which contains the same information I've already provided. A complete waste of time and resources and no credit decision as yet.

Original review: June 6, 2022

PNC set us up with some service costing $53 per month called Pinacle. I then tried cancelling and getting a refund, which we were refunded the first time around. 2 months later, it was finally cancelled after calling again, but we received 2 more $53 charges before it was cancelled. Now...I call them to get refunded because we never signed up for the service. Every agent says a different department handles than... then crickets, the other department does not answer. If you know what's good for you, take your business to another bank that actually gives a crap. I'm sure PNC will be eventually bought out as well once they lose so many loyal customers.

Original review: May 31, 2022

PNC bank cashed a check that I mailed out to pay a utility bill for $63.50 and was somehow stolen and altered and made payable to an individual I did not know nor have I ever met. Payable in the amount of $12,869.89. How the bank could justify payment in such a large amount for a check that was obviously fraudulent without the benefit of a phone call to me is beyond my comprehension as the check did not have my signature on it. As a result of the fraudulent activity on my personal checking account, I was forced to open new accounts which meant trying to update the new information with both of my 2 jobs as I am paid by direct deposit and changing direct deposits is not a transaction that happens overnight and as a result, my Missouri child support payment and a paycheck from one of my jobs were deposited into the hacked account.

I tried reporting the fraud to the local police who told me that despite the fact that some unknown criminal tried to steal close to $13k from me that they are unable to take a report because until I am able to tell them the exact jurisdiction where the check was presented for payment that a report could not be filed as the report will need to be filed in the jurisdiction where the fraud was committed. As of yet, PNC claims they do not know where the check was presented and To add insult to injury, when the fraud was discovered my hacked account was put on a "hard hold" and the PNC Representative I was working within the branch helped me to calculate the amount of outstanding items so that I could leave that amount in the compromised account just in case any of my other outstanding checks were presented for payment so that they wouldn't bounce and be returned to those merchants.

In the interim, the money that was taken from me was refunded but after the refunded amount was credited to my new checking account, PNC bank informed that they refunded too much and as a result, the compromised account was now overdrawn in the amount of $623.26 and that is AFTER I left $447 in the account to cover my outstanding checks which means that PNC bank is basically saying that they refunded an extra $1000 which is absolutely ridiculous because there is no way to refund money that isn't already in the account. And icing on cake, they refuse to close the compromised account since they claim it is overdrawn and want me to pay back the overdrawn amount.

If that isn't bad enough, since all of this happened so suddenly and I was forced to open new accounts, I did not have enough time to change my direct deposit information for a job that I get paid from EVERY week so my paycheck on 5/27 was deposited into the hacked account and my weekly child support payment from the state of Missouri was also deposited into the hacked account and PNC refuses to return these payments which were $174.12 - Missouri child support and $221.08 - wages from Amazon.

I've reached out to PNC Corporate and have received no response so I am now reaching out to the Attorney General for Missouri as well as the Better Business Bureau. I asked PNC to at a minimum to place stop payments on the 4 or 5 checks that are still outstanding as I've spoken to all of the merchants that those checks were mailed to and they ALL indicated that those payments were never received and when advising PNC to place Stop Payments on these checks they told me that to do so they would have to charge me $33 per check even though the fraud was not created by me, the customer.

I've been with PNC for 9 years and have never been overdrawn on any of my accounts and this is how they treat a good customer. I need help getting a return of the money that is owed to me, I need help finding out where the fraudulent check was taken so I can file a proper police report but most importantly I need to let other people know what happened to me so that hopefully this never happens to another hardworking person who entrust their financial institutions to protect them.

I have a copy of the altered check that was presented to PNC and how they put this instrument through without a proper signature is absolutely criminal and had I not caught the fraud when I did, this random person would have gotten away with stealing almost $13K from me and how this person knew I had that kind of money in the first place tells me that this was an "inside job" and PNC has a lot of explaining to do period. You cannot treat customers like this and think that it's ok to drag your feet in providing a resolution. What happened to me should not have happened and I want my child support payment and my employer wages returned to me immediately.

Anything you can do to help resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated as the bank keeps transferring me from department to department with no movement towards a resolution. What's happened to me is a crime of EPIC proportions and I'm not taking this lying down. PNC is complicit in the fraud against my account and I am currently seeking the advice of an Attorney.

Original review: May 23, 2022

My mortgage was picked up by PNC Bank and I'm definitely going to find a different place to transfer my mortgage to. This bank has semi frequent account issues. You have to constantly keep your eye on them to make sure they process your payment. I thought that was all automated, but apparently not. I have several times, noticed my mortgage payment did not go through, and have to deal with their lackluster customer service. Long waits, put on hold and never get back to you. This is the worst financial institution I've dealt with to date.

Original review: May 23, 2022

BBVA, my old bank, was bought out by PNC. I enjoyed and CHERISHED my banking relationships with BBVA: their customer service, problem solving abilities, positive attitudes, and let’s get it DONE way of doing business. That’s ALL GONE. I am constantly reminded that I am but a VERY, VERY SMALL PIECE OF… well, use your imagination, at PNC. Their online banking features are “not available at this time. Try again later” WAY TOO MANY TIMES A DAY. I’m imagining ANOTHER bank or credit union in my future. Bye bye PNC.

Original review: May 18, 2022

I had an emergency tonight and could not get money out of my account because of an update they do nightly. I spoke to Cust. Serv. & a Supervisor and they couldn't help me. VERY FRUSTRATING! I WILL BE SWITCHING BANKS TOMORROW‼️‼️ I DO NOT RECOMMEND PNC BANK if you call after 5pm weekdays, your SOL. Closed Sat & Sunday!!

Original review: May 14, 2022

I tried to get a Home Equity Loan through PNC. I was denied because my home was supposedly un-appraisable. A home that I have had since 2012 that has been appraised 4 times, a successful refinance and one VA inspection. PNC stated they have criteria that has to be made for an appraisal. What PNC wants is technically an inspection. After finding out why my home couldn't be appraised, I notified PNC that the appraiser had given them FRAUDULENT INFORMATION and that the appraisers never checked for anything that was on that list. Only measured and took pictures. One example is the appraiser said my home did not have a concrete foundation. You can literally look at one side of the house and see the concrete foundation. I still have the home blueprints that show it as well.

I asked for another appraisal to be done but PNC refused to do so and closed my application and said to reapply. My loan officer, who was awful and showed she didn't care, filed a complaint against the local appraiser after I made a huge deal about it but the bank still used the appraisers report to deny my loan. PNC also refused to give me a copy of the appraisal report or who the appraiser was which honestly by law they don't actually have to do on a 2nd mortgage. I used a local credit union the next day and got my home appraised and an equity loan in 3 weeks. It took 2 months with PNC to get denied. DO NOT use PNC bank as they will accept fraudulent reports and then turn a blind eye to it. No one will hold them accountable and then you get left behind.

Original review: May 11, 2022

They merged with BBVA Compass adopting and continuing to use their bad practices and extremely inconsistent and reckless business practices. They damaged my credit nearly 100 points and with no warning. There is the same lack of checks and balances that ruined Compass, leaving you with-just a terrible taste in your mouth. Countless calls and talks with lazy personnel that could care less about the loans they give you and false promises. I faced not only damage to my perfect credit but experienced that employees find gratification in not being able to handle problems with payments or refinancing etc or guiding you to someone to handle problems.

Original review: May 9, 2022

PNC is very convenient and great until you have anything that goes wrong with your account. I have had a horrible customer service experience over the last few days with PNC leaving me feel as if my accounts have no value to them. I will be closing all of my PNC accounts and going to a bank that does not hang up on their customers and ask "so why are you contacting me?"

Original review: May 9, 2022

I would like to brief about my wire transfer experience through with the PNC Wire transfer and my wire transfer was submitted post COVID time. This includes 2 instances where the first one involved submission at the bank and the second instance involved submission via the phone line. According to the PNC, the SLA for a wire transfer is 1-2 business days. However, during my first instance the bank posted my transaction on the 5th calendar day or 4th business day. And on the second instance, it was not posted yet and I'm already on the 5th calendar day (4th business day).

Most frustrating part is that none of the PNC wire transfer team is able to provide me the SLA on when the transaction will get posted in my account. I had been calling the team many times with no credible response. At times, I even felt that the bank reps are only interested in acquiring new customers than servicing the existing customers. PNC can be your bank of choice if you are only looking for self service options (ATM, Online) but I would recommend PNC as a preferred option any more if you need to get service at the bank or through their dedicated customer service line.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Many branches are poorly staffed, or have limits as to how much money you can take out at each branch. Branches are spread out and so if you need access of large sums it’s near impossible with obtain with their “limits per branch”. Every single time I have gone it, it’s high pressure sales to meet with a banker about their products or solutions for my money. Even after telling several tellers I am not interested. Worst bank I have ever dealt with.

Original review: April 27, 2022

I just got this checking account because it was bought out which was BBVA before. Anyway I open checking account online. Try to go online again. Stated account is already open. I couldn't get back on, so I went to Wurzbach location and they were having problems with system, so the lady told me I can go to Centerview location. Again something was wrong and the lady told me I would have to wait for few days, I went back to see if I can get my check debt card. Another lady was waiting and she said been waiting for while. I waited for one hour. I left because they take long time. Call customer service to order debt card and still haven't received it. Been more than five days. I never had a bank take more than a week for debt card. Not good for business.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Some branches are poorly staffed. No customer service, lack of knowledge and some staff are practicing reverse discrimination. It's very obvious. I visited my local branch this morning to inquire about wire transfers to and from my account (business ). I had questions about the process and was hoping to get someone to help me with that. Instead of addressing my needs, the person reached for a piece of paper and handed it to me and said, "This is what you need for wire transfer" and proceeded to take care of another customer. Very unprofessional and rude.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I opened my account with BBVA in 2017 and loved the bank and services. Now that PNC has took over the whole experience of PNC is a joke. Now they want to charge you a fee for a checking account that you only have a debit card no checks for. Bad business practices as a whole with PNC from day one. Do yourself a favor don't use PNC Bank.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I am an experienced computer user and the online system is horrid! My loan was transferred to PNC and I will re-finance just to get rid of them. I have tried to pay my mortgage online 3 months in a row and get locked out. And get this: they have to snail-mail me a reset password!! And each time when I have called the "representative" is rude and asks stupid questions like, "do you have caps lock on, are you sure you're typing correctly", etc. Very condescending! And they tell me I'm not locked out, even when I read the screen back to them telling me that I'm locked out and an email says my online access is suspended. Ridiculous!!

Original review: April 25, 2022

Updated on 04/29/2022: Unethical bank practice - Closed my high-yield savings account with PNC after receiving a letter that my account was deactivated due to inactivity. Called the bank and was told that unless I have some type of activity, the account would be deactivated and the funds would be turned over to the state. I have to physically call in at least every 3 years for the account to stay active. The fact that I log in on a regular basis apparently doesn't count. I asked them to close the account and transfer the funds to another bank. I opened 2 other savings account at the same time for the same amount with 2 different banks and they never deactivated my accounts.

I asked them to close the account and since they have a $5k limit on daily transfer out of the account, I told them I would accept a paper check ONLY because the rep told me the check would be overnighted. I never received my check. Over the next two weeks I called them numerous times, spoke to multiple supervisors, bounced around to different departments and no one could tell me when the check would be issued nor when I would receive it. I was told repeatedly that an escalation member would call me but no one has.

I am outraged that PNC has over $100k of my money and refuses or incapable of telling me where my money is. Countless runarounds and lack of response makes PNC Bank more of an unethical con bank than a legitimate bank. Filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau but who knows when they will get this resolved. I cannot believe a bank is allowed to behave this way and get away with it.

Original Review: Closed my savings account with PNC after receiving a letter that my account was deactivated due to inactivity. Called the bank and was told unless I have some type of activity the account would be deactivated and the funds would be turned over to the state. The fact that I log in to on a regular basis apparently doesn't count.

I asked them to close the account and transfer the funds to another bank. They have a limit on the amount that could be transferred out so I was told a check would be overnighted to me. 9 days later I have yet to receive the check. Spent countless hours speaking to various departments and supervisors and no one is able to tell me where the check is, when it would be mailed nor when I would receive it. Based on countless runarounds and lack of response makes PNC bank seem like an unethical con bank than a legitimate bank. I'd like to know where my money is!!!

Original review: April 11, 2022

Horrible, I had to close my account after 4 yrs. The manager of the branch that I have been going to decided that if I didn't answer his questions about the past 10 yrs of work history he wasn't going to give me my money. I called their corporate offices and they said they will have the district manager call me. I believe all I need to show as I have been doing for the last 55 yrs is present my valid state issued drivers licenses and bank card. Nope the branch manager believes that is his money! If you are a working class person that needs YOUR money when you need it, DON'T GO TO PNC! They do and did control whether or not I can have it!

Original review: April 6, 2022

I had an account with BBVA bank and PNC taken over. I got a letter saying they will give out my info and no chance to opt out. I am disabled with one leg therefore it's hard for me to get around. I went to close the account and they gave me a check instead of cash. The lady was so nasty to me while closing the account. As I tried to cash my check at different banks I was informed there was no routing number on the check, which made it invalid. I can't get the bank to communicate with me and just give me the run around over the phone. This was a all my money, over 40.000$ and I still don't have my money. This is evil and unacceptable. I am now forced to start a lawsuit against the bank. Which will take forever and until then what can I do about my money. Just evil.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I went into a branch to apply for a HELOC. That day, in person, I provided them with copies of my brokerage statements, IRS tax returns, pay stubs, and bank statements. The woman there copied all of this highly personal data to send in electronically with my application. One week later, I get a letter in the mail asking for all of the same info. They never received it. PNC sent highly confidential info off into no-man's-land, and they have no idea where it is. Their so-called "executive client relations" sent me an email with instructions to contact someone to "investigate". Both the email and the phone# they provided were wrong. This bank cannot find its butt with both hands and a flashlight. Worse, if you provide them with highly confidential personal data, they cannot find that either. These people are dangerous. STAY THE AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: March 31, 2022

Their website is a mess. It's badly overloaded, ridiculously complicated and confusing. I've been working professionally with computers since 1987, and I find their website too confusing and, even worse, very buggy. It's hard to find there what I need. The interface does not remind any other banking interface I'm familiar with. It produces senseless error messages. Just one example: I tried to set up transfers to my external account with a credit union. Entered all required information. They said they will make 2 test deposits to my external account, which I will have to verify. They did and I verified it, having both accounts on my huge split screen. Their system rejected my correct responses regarding those tests deposits 3 times and then locked me out. And completely removed any reference to my credit union account from my account on PNC website.

Today I tried it once again. When I entered all the information pertaining to my external (credit union) account, the message on screen said: "You have already set up this external account". OMG. I started a chat with their customer service rep. Stephanie. Instead of helping me to overcome their system bug, she tried to teach me to clear browser cache or try another browser (their website is equally flawed with any and all major browsers) and said I need to call their tech support.

PNC should know that other banks and CU's employ qualified personnel and train them to solve customer problems, not direct them to keep working and working for free, trying to overcome their, PNC bank's mistakes. Avoid PNC Bank. It's a waste of time and health (my blood pressure rises each time I try to transact on their website, or talk to their CSR reps.)

Original review: March 26, 2022

This morning I was unable to login to my checking account. Calling customer service was of no help, they blamed my phone and my internet browser, and to seek help from the family members which is none of their business. Then how come that I can login to another bank with no problem whatsoever? Finally was able to login from both Chrome and Firefox, which I shouldn't be able to according to the PNC customer service. This is how much they know. And my phone still works.

Original review: March 25, 2022

I really hate PNC. How did I end up with this bank. I did not open an account or credit card with PNC. I have a credit card with BBVA and I closed my credit card with BBVA May 6, 2021 and paid the entire balance. I have no Idea that BBVA was bought by PNC. All of sudden November 2021 I have received a statement from PNC stating I have a balance of $94.00. I called PNC at least 20 times. I spoke to different customer service people and they can't figure out why I have a balance. It's so frustrating, what a freaking nightmare! I even talked to their dispute department several times in the month of December 2021. I explained to them the entire scenario. They told me that they are going to submit a dispute but then it's just going into a circle. They just keep passing me around to different dept and now I keep getting a phone call/text from their collection debt dept. I hope PNC will go out on business. I HATE HATE HATE PNC!

Original review: March 24, 2022

Well, my assistance helping my friend SW through all the paperwork involved in the recent death of her husband on Feb. 16 has been very difficult. Though he left a will with her as the sole beneficiary, the amount of paperwork involved in switching accounts and loans and retirement benefits to her name has been an exercise in frustration. Even finding the account numbers of some things has been very difficult.

Case in point his account with PNC Bank for the loan on his Dodge Ram truck. We could find his account number nowhere. The monthly loan installment was being taken directly out of his checking account. We called them to get the number but they refused and said we needed to visit a bank of theirs and present certain documents. We did this today and they copied them all, then said it would take 5 to 7 business days for their legal team to go over the docs before they'd release his account number.

An hour later the bank called saying they need additional documents, namely a court order showing the Last Will and Testament of her husband is a valid document. 0_o THAT document was prepared by their lawyer in 2006 and is an official document signed by their lawyer and stamped by a notary and it's not good enough for PNC. 0_o I guess it's time to have her visit her lawyer again. And all just so she can get his account number and the balance owed on the truck so she can pay it off. 0_o Moral of the story, do NOT lose your account number for this bank and make sure you have your loan well documented for your family in case of emergency.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I'm the executor of my deceased parents' wills. For months, my lawyer and I have provided all the legal documents (approved by a judge) to prove that their checking account should be closed and the money funded to me to distribute to the heirs. The lawyer at PNC has altered the account's name without my consent or legal authority and no one at PNC will return my numerous phone calls. PNC is stealing from my dead parents. Shameful! I've filed an OCC complaint and I'm going to tell everyone on social media who will listen that these crooks should be fined and shut down.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I absolutely love, love, love PNC Bank. About a month ago I upgraded from their prepaid card to the Virtual Wallet Performance Account! (Spend, Reserve & Growth) I couldn’t be more happier and thankful. PNC is the absolute BEST, BEST, BEST bank I have ever been with, customer service is extraordinary, great branch & ATM locations nationwide, and my local branch is phenomenal.

Since I’ve been with them I haven’t been stressed, or had any issues with them whatsoever. As a person who was not on a great financial path, PNC has helped me dramatically. I started off with their SmartAccess Prepaid Card, and then gradually transferred to Virtual Wallet. This bank has everything you need in a financial institution and TRUST ME they will get you where you want to be. Better financially, building credit, financing a car, or home, getting a loan, and much more. THIS IS THE BANK TO GO! I highly, highly recommend them.

Original review: March 19, 2022

On a Friday in December holiday. I walked up to ATM at PNC Bank. I tried to get 800.00 out. The ATM started having code like verbiage on screen. So I cancelled transaction. I tried 500.00. The same thing happened. But this time it dispensed a receipt that had coding on it like the screen. I left after that. Over the weekend checking my account I noticed 500.00 was deducted out of account. On that following Monday I went to the same bank and showed them my receipt that came out of ATM. They filed a dispute because they would have to review it. Had to wait 10 business days. I suggested they look at camera cos I didn't take any money. This whole process is still going on since December. They keep putting me off saying they are reviewing it. From one representative to another.

I still haven't gotten my money back. This is so insane. A big bank like this. Seems like being racist. No one I talk to seems like they want to help you. But don't. How can you take someone's money claiming I took it because the only thing they checked was the ATM balance for that day. It came out correctly like all transactions for that day balanced out. I told them when I was leaving another car pulled up as I was leaving. I sure they got it. Cos nothing dispensed while I was there. About to check up on small claims court for maximum amount against them.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I was a BBVA customer and things were good until the big merge. Of course it was the same time as I was closing on my house. We lost access to our accounts for over a week. When I did get access again I was missing all of my savings and everything from my checking except $233.00. My savings when I got it back had $19.33 in it and my CD was missing. I wanted to die! EVERYTHING WAS GONE! They found my CD but now have been charging me overdraft fees and every bogus charge you can come up with. My autopay will go through and then a month later they return it. I'm not putting any more money in my account. Every month I am charged $72-100. For what? YOU TOOK MY MONEY AND I WANT IT BACK!!! My credit score has went down over 100 points. Now I'm too afraid to look to be honest. This needs to be fixed NOW!!!

PNC Bank Company Information