Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Gold Dealers

5.0/5 (35 ratings)

About Orion Metal Exchange

Orion Metal Exchange has 50 years of experience in the precious metals industry and helps customers find their best options for storage and delivery. You can liquidate or acquire metals through Orion Metal Exchange, and you can keep informed about the market with its finance updates. You can also choose your IRA depository.

Pros

• Can purchase coins online
    • Physical possession and liquidation
    • Fee-free buyback policy

Cons

• Annual fees to store and secure metals
    • No online fee info

Bottom Line

Orion Metal Exchange provides updated spot pricing, informative staff and quick home delivery. Though the company charges annual fees to store metals, you can trust your investments are secured in an insured vault in the U.S. or abroad.

Top Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Excellent, friendly, timely customer service! Very confident in their support and advocacy. Jacob walked me through the precious metal investing benefits making me very confident ...

Verified

Orion Metals is a class act. ... They are informative, service is great, and you end up with exactly the deal you are looking for. You are assisted by the very best from start to ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Orion Metal Exchange

Orion Metal Exchange is a full-service precious metals investment dealer that provides gold, silver, platinum and palladium coins and bars, as well as individual retirement accounts for gold and silver investments. Additionally, the company offers a variety of storage options, including home safe storage and depository storage.

Orion Metal Exchange products and services

As a full-service precious metals investment dealer, Orion Metal Exchange performs sales, exchanges and the secure storage of bullion coins, bullion bars and numismatic coins. Additionally, the company can help you set up a gold IRA — this is a 401(k) account for precious metals with all the same tax-deferment benefits of a traditional IRA.

The benefits of partnering with Orion Metal Exchange include access to a personal, experienced account representative, a generous buyback policy and fast, insured shipping of all Orion coins and bars. Other features include spot pricing, precious metals news and economic event alerts to inform your financial decision-making.

Orion Metal Exchange precious metals storage

The company offers several precious metals storage options:

Residential safe storage: For investors who prefer securing their gold nearby, Orion Metal Exchange offers home safe options to keep all precious metals secure and within arm's reach.

Vault storage in an off-site depository: Many investors wish to keep their metals in a vault outside the home. Orion Metal Exchange can provide recommendations for a variety of secure, reliable vault storage services in the United States and overseas.
    Precious metals IRAs: The company’s knowledgeable staff can help you open a gold IRA. You may also be eligible to roll over an existing IRA into a gold IRA.

Orion Metal Exchange fees

If you want to purchase precious metals, Orion Metal Exchange sells various types of coins you can buy online — here are some estimates as of publishing:

• Gold: $268 to $2,483
    • Silver: $31 to $235
    • Platinum: $160 to $1,798
    • Palladium: $2,619 to $2,839

Orion Metal Exchange also has a fee-free precious metal buyback program: The company will make an offer on IRA-eligible and non-IRA-eligible sovereign mint and legal tender coins in gold, silver, platinum and palladium. Previously, you had to purchase the coins from Orion in order for them to buy the coins back. However, the program now works for coins purchased elsewhere.

Orion Metal Exchange offers free storage of any gold and silver for up to three years, unlike other precious metal investment companies that charge annual storage fees.

Orion Metal Exchange FAQ

You can buy gold coins through Orion’s website.
    Yes. Orion provides secured home delivery to ensure your purchase arrives without incident. It can also help you find the right home storage option.
    Those younger than 50 years old can contribute a maximum of $6,000 per year. People over 50 have a $7,000 limit.
    Orion sells gold, silver, platinum and palladium products.

Do we recommend Orion Metal Exchange?

Orion Metal Exchange is ideal for those who may be risk-averse but curious about precious metals investing. Orion doesn't charge setup or transfer fees or for the first three years of precious metal storage. We recommend Orion Metal Exchange for its fee-free services, up-to-date market charts and experienced, helpful staff.

Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orion Metal Exchange?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I'd been thinking about investing in precious metals for a while. I went on the internet and I looked at several. Orion was at the top of the list. They have really good reviews. I called and they were very informative about everything. The man that I spoke to told me how it works. He gave me recommendations. Since I'm new to it, after I've been in a few months and see what it goes like, he said I can change it at any time, whatever I want to do. So that's what I did. Everything's top notch. They've stayed in touch with me ever since I opened the account. I have their number if I ever need any questions answered. I'm well pleased with them.

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was supposed to get a monthly statement, but I have never received one so I don't know anything about that. Orion Metal Exchange asked me, “Do you want quarterly, once a year or once a month?” I just said once a month. Everything else went smooth. The guy that helped me out was good. He kept calling me and I was having my money in a 401(k) and the stock market was going up and down, up and down. I got a bad feeling that it would go south. That guy just kept calling me and he called me at the right time. I said, “Yeah. Hell, yeah. Let's move it all over.” Whoever that guy was, he was persistent and top-notch.

It was hard to transfer that money from E-Trade. They were talking in a language I didn't understand. But the lady got on the phone three-way and could answer. It was kinda Hispanic lady at E-Trade. I could hardly understand what she was asking or saying, but Orion's lady did wonderful as far as being able to answer questions and getting the money transferred. I’m happy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I didn’t want to get into stocks so I thought I’d try Orion. They seemed to be a little more available to give me information. I’m very new to this so I don’t understand a lot of it. When I got my first statement, I was badly shocked. The value that I put in was nowhere near the value that it was rated at. The guy explained it to me later. He was good and always informative. I had one place that I was going to be dealing with prior to this and the man that I talked to initially was very nice. They put me to this guy that does the final contracts and he made me feel like I was stupid.

I’m still not secure in the dealing of all of this but it seems to be doing okay. At least it’s going up. I’m not losing. It just wasn’t what I thought I was getting into. I wasn't explained about it prior. I assumed that it was going to be the actual metal. Instead, it was coins and the coin value is different than the metal value. I didn't realize all that when I placed the order. I’d know next time when I add to it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I did a lot of research on the internet. I looked at not just Google reviews but other customer reviews as well, and they were consistent in terms of the service they gave their customers. Most of all, the exchange has the same products that you could buy, so I wanted to find a company that had been around a while. Orion Metal Exchange had a website, you talk to a human and it wasn't just one of the many that are out there on the internet. They were established. Those are some of the reasons that I chose them. They were responsive as well. When I called them, they gave me an analysis of each of the products that I was considering.

I ultimately decided to use them. In the initial conversation on the phone, they answered my questions. I also had a couple of subsequent email follow-ups from them. I made sure to ask about the grade of the coins and they gave me that information. I don't think they withheld or were unknowledgeable about anything. I didn't have any confusion about the product or the shipment of it based on their responses. They don't stock the product at their own facilities, but once they ordered it, they let me know when the product I decided on was going to be shipped.

They also gave me an update as to when they expected the product would arrive. It came when it was promised, and it was secured and in the condition that was promised as well. All those factors together, I thought I've made a wise decision. In terms of servicing me throughout the process, it was a five-star performance on their part. They were good, and they must have liked my business. I even got a Christmas card from them, which was unanticipated.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Jason ** was a very well versed and up to date on what was going on in the precious metals market. I have strongly recommended Orion Metals Exchange to friends and relatives. Five Stars all the way! After contacting many other companies and reading the great things KiPlingers Magazine had to say about Orion Metal Exchange, I contacted Jason ** and was impressed with his patience and knowledge in our first conversations. After many more phone calls, I decided He would be a good person to work with - well versed in what was going on in the market and never any high pressure salesmanship.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I highly recommend Jacob B. With Orion. I’ve known him professionally for many years and didn’t hesitate to call him once I was ready to invest in precious metals. He was patient, extremely knowledgeable and took his time discussing all my options. Jacob educated me and after speaking with him over a week I was 100 confident in my decision. Orion metal enhance has some of the lowest prices in the country and is ethical and honest. Thank you for your help. I will recommend them to friends and family.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

For the past three years I have relied upon Orion Metal Exchange for a variety of services. The team has successfully helped me move my fiat US dollars into Silver Coins (3 times) and facilitated the transfer of my $$ IRA into a Platinum IRA. They always have the time to explain even basic metal currency questions and are clear about the best times to make this investments. I highly recommend them!

William

Palm Desert CA

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I was searching on the internet for a place to purchase some gold and silver. I read the reviews on Orion and they all seemed really good, so I went with Orion. The rep I worked with was very knowledgeable, helpful and very professional. They answered my questions very well.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Orion had A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and seemed to be grouped with other reputable companies. I was new to this product so I picked them. My rep, Griselda, was very helpful. She allayed my fears and kept helping me get through it.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Orion was good. The person that I talked to on the phone, as far as switching out the IRA, was nice. It wasn't a huge investment but they seemed nice enough. It's just that after I got in, the silver dropped. But they can't control what the market's gonna be.

Orion Metal Exchange Company Information