Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Gold Dealers

4.9/5 (40 ratings)

About Orion Metal Exchange

Are you looking to invest in precious metals? Orion Metal Exchange has 50 years of experience in this industry and is ready to help you find the best option when it comes to precious metals. Whether you are looking to liquidate, acquire or just receive financial market updates, our experienced team member will be ready to assist you. Contact us today to learn more about our services and process!

Pros

• Free storage of gold and silver
    • Free investor kit
    • No set-up or transfer fees

Cons

• Can’t purchase online

Bottom Line

Orion Metal Exchange is ideal for consumers who want to diversify their portfolio with minimal financial risk. The company doesn't charge set-up or IRA transfer fees and provides precious metal storage for up to three years.

Top Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I spoke with Josh. Indicated to him that I had never purchased Metals before, he explained the procedure in a way that was clear to me. I then made a purchase. With his help, the ...

Verified

I had a pleasure getting my 401k transferred into gold and silver in my IRA. I received great help and learned a lot in the process, so it was not very stressful. The shipping of ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Orion Metal Exchange

Orion Metal Exchange is a full-service precious metals investment dealer providing gold, silver, platinum and palladium coins and bars, as well as individual retirement accounts for gold and silver investments. Additionally, the company offers a variety of storage options, including home safe storage and depository storage.

Orion Metal Exchange products and services

As a full-service precious metals investment dealer, Orion Metal Exchange performs sales, exchanges and the secure storage of bullion coins, bullion bars and numismatic coins. Additionally, the company can help you set up a gold IRA — a 401k account for precious metals with all the same tax-deferment benefits of a traditional IRA.

The benefits of partnering with Orion Metal Exchange for your precious metal needs include a personal, experienced account representative, a generous buyback policy and fast, insured shipping of all Orion coins and bars. Other features include spot pricing, precious metal news and economic event alerts to inform your financial decision-making.

Orion Metal Exchange precious metals storage

The company offers several precious metal storage options:

Residential safe storage
    For investors who prefer securing their gold nearby, Orion Metal Exchange offers top-of-the-line home safe options to keep all precious metals secure and within arm's reach.
    Vault storage in an off-site depository
    Many investors wish to keep their metals in a vault outside the home. Orion Metal Exchange can provide recommendations for a variety of secure, reliable vault storage services in the United States and overseas.
    Investing precious metals in an IRA
    Since the company believes precious metals are an essential part of any retirement plan, their knowledgeable staff is prepared to help you open a gold IRA. You may also be eligible to roll over an existing IRA into a gold IRA.

Orion Metal Exchange offers free storage of any gold and silver for up to three years, unlike other precious metals investment companies that charge annual storage fees.

Should I open a Gold IRA with Orion Metal Exchange?

Orion Metal Exchange believes those close to retirement have portfolios heavily-weighted in potentially volatile equities that haven't rebalanced in years. These folks are at the most significant risk of losing investments because their retirement portfolios are heavily-weighted in potentially volatile equities. Their solution is a precious metal IRA, which offers security against stock market declines and some tax advantages.

Account representatives at Orion Metal Exchange can help investors open a tax-deferred IRA. These IRAs hold precious metals like bullion coins and bars of gold, silver, platinum and palladium. The account can be funded with cash or with the rollover of an existing retirement account. There are no fees assessed to open or transfer an IRA account, though many other precious metals dealers charge one-time set-up or transfer fees.

Do we recommend Orion Metal Exchange?

Orion Metal Exchange is ideal for persons who may be risk-averse but curious about precious metals investing. Orion doesn't charge set-up or transfer fees, and never charges for precious metal storage for the first three years. We recommend Orion Metal Exchange for its fee-free services, up-to-date market charts and experienced, helpful staff.

Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orion Metal Exchange?

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I'd been thinking about investing in precious metals for a while. I went on the internet and I looked at several. Orion was at the top of the list. They have really good reviews. I called and they were very informative about everything. The man that I spoke to told me how it works. He gave me recommendations. Since I'm new to it, after I've been in a few months and see what it goes like, he said I can change it at any time, whatever I want to do. So that's what I did. Everything's top notch. They've stayed in touch with me ever since I opened the account. I have their number if I ever need any questions answered. I'm well pleased with them.

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

I was supposed to get a monthly statement, but I have never received one so I don't know anything about that. Orion Metal Exchange asked me, “Do you want quarterly, once a year or once a month?” I just said once a month. Everything else went smooth. The guy that helped me out was good. He kept calling me and I was having my money in a 401(k) and the stock market was going up and down, up and down. I got a bad feeling that it would go south. That guy just kept calling me and he called me at the right time. I said, “Yeah. Hell, yeah. Let's move it all over.” Whoever that guy was, he was persistent and top-notch.

It was hard to transfer that money from E-Trade. They were talking in a language I didn't understand. But the lady got on the phone three-way and could answer. It was kinda Hispanic lady at E-Trade. I could hardly understand what she was asking or saying, but Orion's lady did wonderful as far as being able to answer questions and getting the money transferred. I’m happy.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I didn’t want to get into stocks so I thought I’d try Orion. They seemed to be a little more available to give me information. I’m very new to this so I don’t understand a lot of it. When I got my first statement, I was badly shocked. The value that I put in was nowhere near the value that it was rated at. The guy explained it to me later. He was good and always informative. I had one place that I was going to be dealing with prior to this and the man that I talked to initially was very nice. They put me to this guy that does the final contracts and he made me feel like I was stupid.

I’m still not secure in the dealing of all of this but it seems to be doing okay. At least it’s going up. I’m not losing. It just wasn’t what I thought I was getting into. I wasn't explained about it prior. I assumed that it was going to be the actual metal. Instead, it was coins and the coin value is different than the metal value. I didn't realize all that when I placed the order. I’d know next time when I add to it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

I did a lot of research on the internet. I looked at not just Google reviews but other customer reviews as well, and they were consistent in terms of the service they gave their customers. Most of all, the exchange has the same products that you could buy, so I wanted to find a company that had been around a while. Orion Metal Exchange had a website, you talk to a human and it wasn't just one of the many that are out there on the internet. They were established. Those are some of the reasons that I chose them. They were responsive as well. When I called them, they gave me an analysis of each of the products that I was considering.

I ultimately decided to use them. In the initial conversation on the phone, they answered my questions. I also had a couple of subsequent email follow-ups from them. I made sure to ask about the grade of the coins and they gave me that information. I don't think they withheld or were unknowledgeable about anything. I didn't have any confusion about the product or the shipment of it based on their responses. They don't stock the product at their own facilities, but once they ordered it, they let me know when the product I decided on was going to be shipped.

They also gave me an update as to when they expected the product would arrive. It came when it was promised, and it was secured and in the condition that was promised as well. All those factors together, I thought I've made a wise decision. In terms of servicing me throughout the process, it was a five-star performance on their part. They were good, and they must have liked my business. I even got a Christmas card from them, which was unanticipated.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Recently, I sold Orion Meals 12 proof 70 gold coins and a single platinum one ounce proof coin. Up to this point, "things" have moved smoothly, and I'm waiting for email confirmation that my coins have arrived at their destination and that my guaranteed payment is on its way to me. If the process continues as it has, I will be buying very substantial numbers of gold and platinum coins from Orion. If there are any snags, hiccups or unexplained delays, I will not remain a buyer or seller. I believe in the honesty, integrity and transparent policies of Orion Metals, but beliefs require support--especially in speculative, unregulated industries. Please stay tuned. And so enough.

Original review: July 8, 2021

Orion Metals is a class act in the metals business. They are informative, service is great, and you end up with exactly the deal you are looking for. You are assisted by the very best from start to finish in your metals transaction. They do not disappoint or lead you in a direction that you are not comfortable with.

Original review: April 20, 2021

I started out with a different company. Being new I was still shocked at the costs so I backed out of the deal. I then did some praying, ended up calling Orion and it was like night and day! My roll over 401K into Gold & Silver went smooth and quick! I purchased my Gold at $200+ under what the other company wanted and my silver at around $30 an oz under.. The entire team here was a joy to work with really quick and efficient!

Original review: April 13, 2021

Reliable and very attentive. The service I received was unbeatable. Everyone who helped me was extremely informed and seem well versed in the precious metals industry. I would recommend Orion Metal Exchange to anyone looking to invest in metals. From start to finish I felt supported and taken care of. Very timely responses and knowledgeable reps. Thank you Orion for guiding me through my investment journey.

Original review: March 30, 2021

The Orion Metal reps were very knowledgeable and the start-up process went smoothly.

Original review: March 25, 2021

I liked the customer service at Orion and since we were concerned with the precious metals, they primarily gave investment options. It was very good dealing with the reps but we haven't had a whole lot of interactions since the time that we established them. Still, I would recommend Orion. They were very upfront and on time with their communication. It's a good experience although there could be an improvement on the follow-up after we’ve settled the whole deal.

Orion Metal Exchange Company Information