4.9/5 (161 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Cassidy McCants

About Orion Metal Exchange

Orion Metal Exchange has 50 years of experience in the precious metals industry and helps customers find their best options for storage and delivery. You can liquidate or acquire metals through Orion Metal Exchange, and you can keep informed about the market with its finance updates. You can also choose your IRA depository.

Pros

• Can purchase coins online
    • Physical possession and liquidation
    • Fee-free buyback policy

Cons

• Annual fees to store and secure metals
    • No online fee info

Bottom Line

Orion Metal Exchange provides updated spot pricing, informative staff and quick home delivery. Though the company charges annual fees to store metals, you can trust your investments are secured in an insured vault in the U.S. or abroad.

Top Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Excellent, friendly, timely customer service! Very confident in their support and advocacy. Jacob walked me through the precious metal investing benefits making me very confident ...

Verified

Orion Metals is a class act. ... They are informative, service is great, and you end up with exactly the deal you are looking for. You are assisted by the very best from start to ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Orion Metal Exchange

Orion Metal Exchange is a full-service precious metals investment dealer that provides gold, silver, platinum and palladium coins and bars, as well as individual retirement accounts for gold and silver investments. Additionally, the company offers a variety of storage options, including home safe storage and depository storage.

Orion Metal Exchange products and services

As a full-service precious metals investment dealer, Orion Metal Exchange performs sales, exchanges and the secure storage of bullion coins, bullion bars and numismatic coins. Additionally, the company can help you set up a gold IRA — this is a 401(k) account for precious metals with all the same tax-deferment benefits of a traditional IRA.

The benefits of partnering with Orion Metal Exchange include access to a personal, experienced account representative, a generous buyback policy and fast, insured shipping of all Orion coins and bars. Other features include spot pricing, precious metals news and economic event alerts to inform your financial decision-making.

Orion Metal Exchange precious metals storage

The company offers several precious metals storage options:

Residential safe storage: For investors who prefer securing their gold nearby, Orion Metal Exchange offers home safe options to keep all precious metals secure and within arm's reach.

Vault storage in an off-site depository: Many investors wish to keep their metals in a vault outside the home. Orion Metal Exchange can provide recommendations for a variety of secure, reliable vault storage services in the United States and overseas.
    Precious metals IRAs: The company’s knowledgeable staff can help you open a gold IRA. You may also be eligible to roll over an existing IRA into a gold IRA.

Orion Metal Exchange fees

If you want to purchase precious metals, Orion Metal Exchange sells various types of coins you can buy online — here are some estimates as of publishing:

• Gold: $268 to $2,483
    • Silver: $31 to $235
    • Platinum: $160 to $1,798
    • Palladium: $2,619 to $2,839

Orion Metal Exchange also has a fee-free precious metal buyback program: The company will make an offer on IRA-eligible and non-IRA-eligible sovereign mint and legal tender coins in gold, silver, platinum and palladium. Previously, you had to purchase the coins from Orion in order for them to buy the coins back. However, the program now works for coins purchased elsewhere.

Orion Metal Exchange offers free storage of any gold and silver for up to three years, unlike other precious metal investment companies that charge annual storage fees.

Orion Metal Exchange FAQ

How do you buy gold from Orion Metal Exchange?
    You can buy gold coins through Orion’s website.
    Can I store my Orion precious metals at home?
    Yes. Orion provides secured home delivery to ensure your purchase arrives without incident. It can also help you find the right home storage option.
    What is the maximum I can contribute to my Orion precious metal IRA account?
    Those younger than 50 years old can contribute a maximum of $6,000 per year. People over 50 have a $7,000 limit.
    What precious metals does Orion Metal Exchange offer?
    Orion sells gold, silver, platinum and palladium products.

Do we recommend Orion Metal Exchange?

Orion Metal Exchange is ideal for those who may be risk-averse but curious about precious metals investing. Orion doesn't charge setup or transfer fees or for the first three years of precious metal storage. We recommend Orion Metal Exchange for its fee-free services, up-to-date market charts and experienced, helpful staff.

Orion Metal Exchange Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Orion Metal Exchange?

Original review: April 4, 2022

My wife and I have been looking forward to retirement for a lifetime. I never thought it was going to happen. We always had one of the big brokerages invest our retirement and we never saw the light at the end of the tunnel. We were referred to Orion Metal Exchange by our friends who actually are retired. We couldn’t be happier. After just a few short months we can see a light at the end of the tunnel and are now finally looking forward to retirement. Couldn’t be happier with Orion and their team. They’re so professional and straightforward. It was definitely a breath of fresh air after years of feeling like you’re stuck in quicksand. I’m referring everybody I know to them and know they will be in good hands like my family is.

Get buying tips about Gold Dealers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Mike B. Dallas, TX. My wife and I are both retired. We have been invested in the stock market for many years in both good times and bad. With the ”election” of Joe Biden we decided it was time to exit the stock market due to possible steep downside risk under his “leadership”. We cashed out and sat on the sidelines while we evaluated options. After “kicking the tires” we decided that precious metals made the most sense for us. We contacted 6 of the well known precious metals dealers, but were disappointed with the results. We asked simple questions like “how do you price your products (such as spot price plus what percentage?”) The most common response was “we’ll discuss that after you send us the money to fund your account." Not exactly the answer we were seeking!

After this frustrating experience, we found ORION METAL EXCHANGE and things were very different in a positive way. Prices were clearly posted on their website and we got straight concise answers to our questions. We have since opened 3 IRA accounts and a brokerage account with Orion. Dealing with Jason ** and Griselda ** in opening these accounts was a pleasant experience as they are both true professionals. We highly recommend ORION, Jason and Griselda.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

This was my second time ordering from Blake ** with Orion Metal Exchange. I was in a bit of a bind and in a hurry. It was my uncle's and aunt's 50th wedding anniversary and my uncle wanted to get a small gold bar for his wife. He knew nothing about buying gold. I told him, "Don't worry I have just the person." I reached out to Blake and he made it happen for us. He was knowledgeable, efficient, professional and sensitive to our time constraints. Considering that the holidays were upon us he got everything to us a day before we needed it. I really appreciate him and how he takes the worry out of the process.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Everything went really well. The whole process was very professional, but when you're on the phone, you think you know the person on the other end, but you don't see them, which is something to think about if you’re doing a large transaction. It's difficult to do a transaction like that sometimes over the phone without seeing somebody. Something like FaceTime interaction might be good. Apart from that, the knowledge and professionalism of the person that I made the acquisition through was good. Orion put me in a more comfortable situation and I've recommended them to another person.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

I highly recommend Jacob B. With Orion. I’ve known him professionally for many years and didn’t hesitate to call him once I was ready to invest in precious metals. He was patient, extremely knowledgeable and took his time discussing all my options. Jacob educated me and after speaking with him over a week I was 100 confident in my decision. Orion metal enhance has some of the lowest prices in the country and is ethical and honest. Thank you for your help. I will recommend them to friends and family.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I transferred a part of my TSP savings in to a Precious Metals IRA with Orion. I talked to other companies but Orion seemed the best choice. Jacob was very knowledgeable and provided the education I needed to make the the decisions and Griselda was helpful and efficient in setting up my account and working with TSP on the transfer.

Original review: April 20, 2022

We had a great experience working with Jacob! This was our first time purchasing metal, and we found him to be very knowledgeable, helpful, and patient. He answered all of our questions and shared his expertise when guiding us. Everyone we dealt with at Orion Metal Exchange was courteous, professional, and reliable. We highly recommend this company!

Original review: April 14, 2022

Being new to buying silver or any precious metals, Jacob ** was extremely patient to explain my options, the process, and answer all of my questions without making me feel pressured. He was professional and relatable at the same time so I never felt condescended to. I feel confident that I made a good decision to go with Orion and invest in silver!

Original review: April 12, 2022

I worked with Beau ** in arranging the metals for my IRA. He was wonderful and very helpful during the process. I highly recommend Orion Metal Exchange. I have worked with them now for 2 years to determine the best metals to add to my IRA and see no reason to go elsewhere.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I have dealt with other Precious Metals companies, but Orion is the best! All who I have spoken with have provided excellent, knowledgeable customer service - especially our Portfolio Manager Michael **. He has gone the extra mile to provide us with trustworthy, outstanding customer service. Highly recommended! Very knowledgeable of the market and provides regular updates as needed.

Orion Metal Exchange Company Information