Find an Online Banks partner

Author picture
Written by Courtney Hamar
Edited by Jordan Potenza

About Dave

Dave is a mobile app-based banking solution with a $1 per month membership fee. Members have access to a spending account, a debit Mastercard, no-fee cash advances up to $250, credit-building tools and an automatic budgeting feature. Customer service is available by chat six days a week and by phone seven days a week. Ten million people use Dave for banking, according to the company.

Pros

• Easy to sign up
  • Free rent and utility payment reporting
  • No-interest advances up to $250
  • Early direct deposit funds

Cons

• Membership fee
  • No savings account option

Bottom Line

Dave is a mobile banking solution. Members pay $1 per month for access to a spending account, Mastercard debit card, cash advances and other services. Dave charges no overdraft fees and has no minimum account balance.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Dave?

Dave is a fintech company that partners with Evolve Bank & Trust to offer a spending account, a debit Mastercard and other services to members who pay a $1 monthly fee. As a Dave member, you can withdraw money at no charge from any MoneyPass ATM, get up to $250 in cash advances with no fees and build your credit history through rent and utility payments.

The Dave app launched in 2017 with a goal to “level the financial playing field,” according to the company. It has no minimum account balance and charges no overdraft fees. Members also benefit from early access to direct deposit funds, an automatic budgeting tool and the “Side Hustle” job search feature.

How does Dave work?

You can sign up for Dave using the mobile app, available on Apple and Android devices. To qualify, you must be at least 18, have a physical address in the U.S. and have a valid Social Security number or Tax Identification Number. You enter your full name, phone number and email address, and Dave runs a security check. No credit check is required.

There is no minimum deposit required to open a Dave spending account. There's also no minimum balance requirement to keep a Dave account open. As a member, you pay a fee of $1 per month for account monitoring, budgeting features and notification services.

Dave services

Dave’s primary services are a demand deposit account — another term for a checking account — and a debit Mastercard. Other features from Dave include:

• Cash advances: Cash advances of up to $250 are available to qualified Dave members. When you request an advance, you select an automatic payback date, which should be your next payday. No credit check is required, and Dave doesn’t charge interest on advances.
  • Credit building: Dave partners with LevelCredit to report rent and utility payments to the credit bureaus to help you improve your credit score. This service is free for members who set up direct deposits.
  • Budgeting: Using the app, you can add expenses, view your budget and see “Yours to spend” predictions. Dave can text you if a bill is going to put your monthly budget in danger.
  • Side Hustle: Dave can help you find opportunities to make extra money. You can apply for local jobs directly online.
  • Early direct deposit: Depending on your employer’s payroll policies, you may be able to access your paycheck up to two days early.

Dave prices

Dave membership costs $1 per month. The checking account has no minimum balance and no overdraft fees. You can withdraw money free from any MoneyPass ATM; there's a $2.50 fee for withdrawal from an out-of-network ATM and a 3% fee on withdrawal from a foreign ATM. Dave also charges 1% of the transaction amount for Apple Pay, Google Pay and debit card transfers.

Cash advances are free if you choose standard delivery (up to three business days), but you can pay an expedited fee to get the money within eight hours. This fee ranges from $1.99 to $5.99, depending on the advance amount.

Credit building through LevelCredit is free for Dave members who set up direct deposits that occur at least twice a month for a combined monthly amount of at least $1,000.

Dave FAQ

What bank does Dave use?
Evolve Bank & Trust holds all Dave member deposits and issues Dave debit cards.
Is Dave FDIC-insured?
Yes, Evolve Bank & Trust, which holds deposits, is FDIC-insured.
Does Dave affect your credit?
A credit check isn’t required to open a Dave account. Dave can actually help you build credit by reporting your rent and utility payments to the credit bureaus. This service is free if you set up qualifying direct deposits.
How do I cancel Dave membership?
You can cancel your Dave membership by contacting the company by chat (using the app) or by calling the phone number on the back of your debit card.

Is Dave legit?

Dave is a legitimate option if you’re interested in mobile banking. It partners with Evolve Bank & Trust, an FDIC-insured institution. For a fee of $1 per month, you have access to a spending account, a debit Mastercard, free cash advances and credit-building and budgeting tools. Signing up is easy and doesn’t require a minimum deposit. We recommend reading over Dave’s terms and policies first so you fully understand how membership works.

Dave Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dave?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dave?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

The Dave app is. Rip off... I have used this app for years and use their loan option where you can borrow money if you have direct deposit. I always pay back my loan. Most recently I took out a loan for $26, paid it back early and my account got canceled because I have paid back multiple loans early. My account was canceled without any warning from Dave. My direct deposit has been sent back to my employer and I have been left stranded with no way to buy a ticket home due to them canceling my account for the dumbest reason I've ever heard in my life for me paying back a loan early. I called and spoke with a manager supervisor and the dummy simply sounded like a robot repeating himself over and over like some cyborg. I will never use this app again and I will leave bad reviews every forum I can find.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2022

I have tried to delete this account several times, over the past few months. It won't allow me to. They only offer you money if you have money in your account and sometimes it's as low as $5. That's a joke and stupid. I hate the company, it preys on people and is not out to help people. Don't be fooled. It's a sham!

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Do not use this app. It is horrendous. It pulled up my "direct deposit," as something I returned to a store. I have weekly direct deposits. Has been giving me an error message for days now. I contacted their customer service number. Could barely understand the person (foreigner). I don't qualify for an advance. My first measly advance of $5.00 plus a $2.50 fee was deducted without a problem. My DAVE card never came either. Use EARNIN. I did not have a problem at all. $250 advance right away.

Dave Company Information