Dave

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Dave

Dave is a mobile app-based banking solution with a $1 per month membership fee. Members have access to a spending account, a debit Mastercard, no-fee cash advances up to $250, credit-building tools and an automatic budgeting feature. Customer service is available by chat six days a week and by phone seven days a week. Ten million people use Dave for banking, according to the company.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Easy to sign up
  • Free rent and utility payment reporting
  • No-interest advances up to $250
  • Early direct deposit funds
Cons
  • Membership fee
  • No savings account option

What is Dave?

Dave is a fintech company that partners with Evolve Bank & Trust to offer a spending account, a debit Mastercard and other services to members who pay a $1 monthly fee. As a Dave member, you can withdraw money at no charge from any MoneyPass ATM, get up to $250 in cash advances with no fees and build your credit history through rent and utility payments.

The Dave app launched in 2017 with a goal to “level the financial playing field,” according to the company. It has no minimum account balance and charges no overdraft fees. Members also benefit from early access to direct deposit funds, an automatic budgeting tool and the “Side Hustle” job search feature.

How does Dave work?

You can sign up for Dave using the mobile app, available on Apple and Android devices. To qualify, you must be at least 18, have a physical address in the U.S. and have a valid Social Security number or Tax Identification Number. You enter your full name, phone number and email address, and Dave runs a security check. No credit check is required.

There is no minimum deposit required to open a Dave spending account. There's also no minimum balance requirement to keep a Dave account open. As a member, you pay a fee of $1 per month for account monitoring, budgeting features and notification services.

Dave services

Dave’s primary services are a demand deposit account — another term for a checking account — and a debit Mastercard. Other features from Dave include:

• Cash advances: Cash advances of up to $250 are available to qualified Dave members. When you request an advance, you select an automatic payback date, which should be your next payday. No credit check is required, and Dave doesn’t charge interest on advances.
  • Credit building: Dave partners with LevelCredit to report rent and utility payments to the credit bureaus to help you improve your credit score. This service is free for members who set up direct deposits.
  • Budgeting: Using the app, you can add expenses, view your budget and see “Yours to spend” predictions. Dave can text you if a bill is going to put your monthly budget in danger.
  • Side Hustle: Dave can help you find opportunities to make extra money. You can apply for local jobs directly online.
  • Early direct deposit: Depending on your employer’s payroll policies, you may be able to access your paycheck up to two days early.

Dave prices

Dave membership costs $1 per month. The checking account has no minimum balance and no overdraft fees. You can withdraw money free from any MoneyPass ATM; there's a $2.50 fee for withdrawal from an out-of-network ATM and a 3% fee on withdrawal from a foreign ATM. Dave also charges 1% of the transaction amount for Apple Pay, Google Pay and debit card transfers.

Cash advances are free if you choose standard delivery (up to three business days), but you can pay an expedited fee to get the money within eight hours. This fee ranges from $1.99 to $5.99, depending on the advance amount.

Credit building through LevelCredit is free for Dave members who set up direct deposits that occur at least twice a month for a combined monthly amount of at least $1,000.

Dave FAQ

What bank does Dave use?

Evolve Bank & Trust holds all Dave member deposits and issues Dave debit cards.

Is Dave FDIC-insured?

Yes, Evolve Bank & Trust, which holds deposits, is FDIC-insured.

Does Dave affect your credit?

A credit check isn’t required to open a Dave account. Dave can actually help you build credit by reporting your rent and utility payments to the credit bureaus. This service is free if you set up qualifying direct deposits.

How do I cancel Dave membership?

You can cancel your Dave membership by contacting the company by chat (using the app) or by calling the phone number on the back of your debit card.

Is Dave legit?

Dave is a legitimate option if you’re interested in mobile banking. It partners with Evolve Bank & Trust, an FDIC-insured institution. For a fee of $1 per month, you have access to a spending account, a debit Mastercard, free cash advances and credit-building and budgeting tools. Signing up is easy and doesn’t require a minimum deposit. We recommend reading over Dave’s terms and policies first so you fully understand how membership works.

Dave Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dave?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dave?

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I never had a account with Dave because someone else was using my information with them to have an account in my name, tracking credit, etc. After a long process of proving I'm me and getting a fake account closed down then they tried to start charging me subscription fees for an app I don't have. Stay away, Far away!!

Online & App

Reviewed June 3, 2024

I downloaded the app and tried to get a cash advance. I wasn’t approved so I closed and deleted the app. Now I see that they take $1 from my account. How do I contact them and get back my dollar. They are shady!!!

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed June 2, 2024

I joined hoping to receive advance. No wait a day??? I won't need it in 30 hours when my ss retirement will direct deposit $2000. Sorry don't need you now. Great idea but too good to be true. Nothing on the internet is trustworthy anymore. It's just a rerouting scam. No customer service in reality.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 27, 2024

Stay away from Dave! Warning! When you call customer service it’s in another country! The representatives talk to you nasty and let you know there is nothing you can do about your missing money! They have $75 of mine for over seven days and I’m still fighting to get it back! I didn’t even buy anything! It shows pending.. but why???? I’m am contacting the Better Business Bureau! I only it’s only $75 but it’s my money. I never got a loan from them. It’s just pending!

Jennifer

I am dealing with something similar. They cancelled my Dave card and haven't sent another one yet and now won't give me any information about it because they can't "verify" my account.

Reviewed May 18, 2024

They are liars and scammers. After the account was closed and I paid them completely off they continuously went into my account and took $1 and then refused to take it off my credit report that I do not owe them.

Reviewed May 15, 2024

I made a transfer of $200 to my Dave account and it was processed from my other bank but never went into my account. For 5 days it showed the pending deposit then when I reported the issue via Dave app they removed the record of the transaction and I never received the money. I never received any communication back when reporting the issue so they basically stole $200 from me and because it’s processed by my other bank I can’t get my money unless Dave gives me the funds.

Reviewed May 12, 2024

I have been with Dave for 6 months. I have taken $200 cash advance twice. In April I took a $200 cash advance. Now I am being told after paying $266.00 settlement, that I owe a $70.00 tip. I did not agree at any time to give tips. Dave got me the first time, but I have stopped payment on The Tip. Dave's will not let me cancel my account and remove all my financial and personal information I provided. I do not want to do business with this SHADY COMPANY!! I should have the choice. It is my money. I have had identity left on my checking debit card with USAA and have disputed this charge.. of $70.00. My bank is investigating this issue. I just want to cancel my account.

Profile pic of the author.
      Sales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 22, 2024

They are liars and scamming. They do take out late fees 8$ on a 25$ advance that I took out. Then they tried to settle it at 2:00 in the morning for which my bank canceled it because they thought it was fraud and subsequently charged me $8 because it bounced even though the money was in my debit card which was the second line of spending which they could have easily taken out of.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed March 30, 2024

I signed up with Dave in July 2023 and did not want to use it until March 2024. It was a frustrating experience and very unprofessional. They stated that my bank account was not linked, and I was looking at my bank information on the app. When I went in later, all of the banking information was gone. I tried multiple times to reenter but got no go. Then, when I called with my concerns, they blamed it on Plaid. Then, they wanted me to do a direct deposit when they could not get my bank right. I don't think they really know how their system works

Customer Service

Reviewed March 29, 2024

I would like to give less. They keep taking money out of my account I call and it says my account's closed and it ends the call. I can't get in touch with any one and I've reported this to the BBB TWICE. Beware Dave is a thief.

Dave Company Information