Albert

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Albert

Albert is a financial services app. It’s not a bank, but it offers banking services through FDIC-insured Sutton Bank. The aim is to help Americans reach financial stability. Albert has no monthly or overdraft fees. Along with banking, the app has savings, budgeting and investing services. For financial guidance, Albert offers Genius, a team of financial experts. Users can get an interest-free advance, cash-back rewards and early paycheck access.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • No monthly service fees
  • Cash-back rewards
  • Cash advance option
Cons
  • No mobile check deposit
  • App-only accessibility

What is Albert?

Albert is a financial services app that aims to help Americans achieve financial stability. The company is not a bank; its banking services are provided by Sutton Bank, which is FDIC-insured.

Albert offers simple services to make improving your finances feel less daunting. With options to save or invest automatically and an analysis of your financial habits, Albert streamlines the process of understanding your finances and building your wealth.

How does Albert work?

Albert is a mobile app available for both Apple and Android devices. There are no physical locations or accessibility options without using the app. Once you download the app, Albert asks you about yourself. This is so the app can better understand your individual financial situation.

Once that’s done, you’ll be guided to connect your financial accounts. This is when the Albert algorithm starts to work. It analyzes your income, spending and budget, finding ways to save you money and improve your overall financial wellness. The algorithm helps you spot issues such as unwanted fees, bill hikes and more.

For a small fee, you can also choose to take advantage of the Genius service. Genius allows you to ask any financial question at any time and get honest advice from a financial expert. This service is available day or night, so you can ask your question whenever it hits you.

Albert services

Albert offers a number of financial services. Whether you’re looking for banking, savings, investing or other services, Albert can help. Services the company offers include:

• Cash: This option includes a debit card, advance paycheck access, cash-back rewards, free ATM use with Allpoint machines, no minimum balance and no monthly fees.
  • Instant: Albert can provide a cash advance of up to $250 with no late fees, interest or credit check. Get money instantly for a small fee, or within two to three days for no fee.
  • Saving: The app analyzes your income and spending to help find ways to save you money. You can set it to automatically deposit into your account or choose your own schedule. You will receive an annual cash bonus on your savings.
  • Investing: Buy individual stocks or choose company themes, like female leadership or sustainability. Genius creates a custom portfolio for you. You can set it to invest automatically on a regular schedule
  • Genius: This is Albert’s only paid service. A team of experts is available to you 24/7 to provide honest financial advice and answer all your money questions. You pay the amount you think is fair.

Albert fees

Albert doesn’t have many fees. Since the goal of the company is to help Americans reach financial stability, Albert specifically doesn’t charge monthly service fees or overdraft fees.

There is a cost to use the Genius service, but the company allows you to pay what you think is fair. The current minimum for Genius is $6 per month. You can start investing with just $1.

Albert FAQ

Is Albert a real bank?

Albert is not a bank. It’s an app that offers financial services such as budgeting, investing and savings. Banking services are provided by Sutton Bank.

Where can I use my Albert card?

The Albert card is a Mastercard debit card, so you can use it anywhere Mastercard is accepted. You can also withdraw money without fees at any Allpoint ATM.

Is Albert FDIC insured?

Accounts with Albert are insured through the company’s banking provider, Sutton Bank, which is FDIC-insured.

Does the Albert app give you money?

The Albert app can provide you with an advance of up to $250. You can repay the advance when you get paid.

Is Albert safe?

Albert is a safe app to use. Your money is FDIC-insured, with coverage up to $250,000. Albert has a number of convenient services that can make improving your finances a more painless process. It has a number of perks, including a lack of fees and cash-back rewards. Overall, we recommend considering Albert if you're looking for a mobile banking option.

Albert Reviews

Stars Rating

• 1%
  • 99%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Albert?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Albert?
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed July 10, 2024

If I could give them 0 stars I would. Their cash advance takes up to a week business days are the only that count before a payment is cleared and you can advance again. The monthly genius fees aren't worth the trouble or the small amount that you qualify for to advance. In fact their 14.99 has been the most expensive monthly charge I've seen of all of the other cash advance apps I've used in the past. I have been trying to cancel and close my accounts for over a week now and anytime I reach out to their customer service time it's always a new reason they can't close it.

1. It was due to my pending payment (as I said it takes a week...) Secondly it was because I couldn't confirm the last 4 of a card I no longer had in my possession with them, then it was because I had a .03 balance I couldn't transfer because it was too little. When I bitched about that magically worked after I threatened a lawyer on them and now it's going to take up to 4 business days for it to transfer even though it looks like my account is zeroed out. I'm so tired of dealing with this company and I beg that others see this review and don't even start with them. There are much better apps that give more benefits like Moneylion, Cleo, earnin, Grid, and Dave. Please look one of these other ones up instead.

Reviewed July 1, 2024

Worst company! Scammer! Do not download or sign up or connect your bank with them! They will take your money without permission and will not allow you to cancel! Consumer Affairs need to delete mentioning about them, since they are scammers and they don't deserve to be promoted.

Jaylin

They took $38 from me without asking. Gonna call my bank and tell them to block them

Get buying tips about Online Banks delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Staff

Reviewed June 27, 2024

I LOATHE the Albert app! I have been trying for months to close my account but you can’t until their pending statuses have cleared. The thing is, they continue to take small or large amounts so often from my bank account so they are always pending! You can’t ever speak with a rep as I’ve tried multiple times. When you try to transfer funds from your Albert account or investments, the amount stated in your account is NOT what you can transfer back into your account to close your account. THIS IS A NIGHTMARE! Even My bank told me they can’t do anything because there’s always an Albert payment pending!

Audumn

Same issue I've been trying to cancel for weeks. First it was a payment was pending, then it was me needing to verify last 4 of their debt card for confirmation, and now it's was .03 I had to transfer to my external account now I'm having to wait an additional few days for this to "clear". I wish I would have seen these reviews before signing up with them

Hem

I have the same problem. I wish I have researched before signing up. Please try to get CFPB involved.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 14, 2024

I am so disgusted with these people. How do you take from someone. Bank almost every day acting like the customers are the ones doing the transferring. My bank shut my card down, had to shut down and closed out the whole account because they sat and watched when they tried to do a transfer from my account while the account was restricted due to fraudulent fees coming out of my account. Please do not deal with these people because it's no one to call and talk to people are not to be trusted. Won't get another dime from me. I don't even use this card or seen the card

Reviewed June 1, 2024

After being promoted to add my direct deposit so I can get my check a few days earlier and have access to instant cash, I connect my DD. My first check arrived $31 short and being that their customer service is already bad, it’s been almost 24 hours of hell trying to get them to return the money. I was told to contact the payroll provider who unlike Albert have decent customer service. They confirmed Albert took the $31 dollars because my pay Statement reflects what was added into that account.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed May 29, 2024

Scammers! They are not helping you with any savings or loan. They just want access to your account so they can steal bits and pieces of it. If you are someone with a lot of money you may not notice it but unfortunately I have been going through financial problems so am always looking at my accounts. Stay away from downloading, agreeing to anything. You have been warned.

Rodrigo

I thought I deactivated the account years ago but I checked and they have been withdrawing money from my accounts. And they have no contact number to get the issues resolved

Customer ServicePriceOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed May 9, 2024

I am utterly disappointed with my experience using the Albert app. Despite its promising features, the process of cancelling my subscription turned into a frustrating ordeal. The app insisted I needed a $0 balance to cancel, which I complied with, yet I still faced unnecessary hurdles that prevented me from successfully cancelling my subscription. To add insult to injury, I was blindsided by an unexpected increase in the subscription fee—a change I was never notified about. This lack of transparency is unacceptable and reflects poorly on the company's values and its regard for customer satisfaction. Despite my efforts to resolve these issues directly with Albert's support team, my concerns were not taken seriously. This experience has left me with no choice but to warn others about the potential pitfalls of subscribing to this service.

I expected much more from Albert and am left feeling let down and disrespected as a customer. I am now in the process of escalating my complaint to the Better Business Bureau and will be sharing my negative experience across various review platforms to inform potential subscribers of the challenges they may face. Rating: 1/5 Stars - Not recommended due to poor customer service, lack of transparency, and unjustified price increases.

Reviewed May 7, 2024

I checked my bank today and I found a deduction of $14.99 from Albert. I was concerned as to what this charge is. I remember I got rid of this app and all its data. I tried to check if my app was not deleted but I was correct, I did delete it. Then I looked up how to contact Albert and followed instructions to text them a message about closing this app/account and requested a refund of Albert taking $14.99 out of my bank account. Waiting for response.

Reviewed May 3, 2024

This has been an absolute disaster! They double charged my account then said they are unable to verify my debit card to withdraw funds. Money tied up and they could care less. You get some auto response.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed April 23, 2024

Scam! Tells you it's a free trial for 30 days then signs you up for a genius account. I was just trying to get extra cash until payday like Brigit. This is a scam and you won't get up to 200.00. After setting it up told me could not verify my bank card but they had all my transactions listed and showed me all my subscriptions. Told me my account was too low for cash advance. Balance low is why people want advance. I don't recommend this app.

Albert Company Information