1.08/5
Based on 59 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a loan company?

61 Mid-Atlantic Finance Company Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Two years ago I started purchasing a car through a dealership called Wingo Wheels in Heflin Alabama. Well for some reason Wingo Wheels sold out to Mid Atlantic without me having any acknowledgment so as normal I kept going to Wingo Wheels to make payment. After two month of me paying Wingo Wheels I was contacted by Mid Atlantic saying they were going to repo my car and I'm like, "What are you talking about?" Then they tell me they bought out Wingo Wheels. I had to send Mid Atlantic proof I was paying Wingo Wheels so I did. I emailed them the proof I paid off my car just recently and they have failed to send me my title. I have contacted Mid Atlantic and they keep telling me one thing after the other and giving me a runaround.

I finally got in touch with the title department and they gave me the runaround all day. I had to go to get proof from MH Bank that I have paid them off. I sent them the email and confirmed it has been paid off. The lady at Mid Atlantic was supposed to call me back when she got the email. I have waited all day. Called her back myself and guess what they are gone for the day so I have made copies of all my proof the car is paid off and I'm seeking the BBB. I have called and they are sending me out a complaint form and I have to prove to them the car was paid off.

This looks like a long headache for me to get a title for a car. I paid way too much money for to begin with and I know how crooked people are. I have went to my local police department and my car won't be towed from my yard just in case Mid Atlantic tries to pull some crap the police have seen proof that my car is paid off. I was told to contact them if any repo truck pulls up in my yard. So my advice is if you can get out of paying or financing a car through Mid Atlantic you need to run away because they are definitely a crooked company.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was trade to Mid-Atlantic from another company with either I’ve never missed a payment. I fixed the same problem on the car twice, went to trade it in. Found out it had a salvaged title on it, I explained this to Jessica and also that I will try my hardest to trade it in. That way I can get another car and buy out the loan. I was hoping they would understand seeing as though I never missed a payment, I communicated to them what was going on, and I was open and honest. Even said I would pay partial payment seeing as though I still had the car and if I could trade it in by her first I would pay the full amount. Still Jessica explained that the account manager says full payment. So they are expecting to me pay for the savaged girl and get a new. SMH. Tragic. This is how you treat a loyal customer.

Get expert buying tips about Loan Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This is the worse finance company ever! They prey on their account holders. My car was repoed twice in 5 days because someone was too lazy to verify my payments! I owe 6 more payments and since my balance dropped below 4k, they have made multiple attempts to show that I’m not paying my payments. These people are liars and all about manipulating their customers. Once I am done with this loan, I am seeking a lawyer. These people don’t even deserve to one star.

Original review: May 8, 2018

They are crooks! And really need to be shut down. After paying my car down to $1800 from $5500 where I started from they sent a tow truck to get my car. I wasn't late on my payments then demanded I pay what I owe them on it if I wanted my car back! This should be illegal and I feel that if a bunch of us were to get together something would get done about them!

Original review: March 2, 2018

I didn't have any problem with them until it came to my last $150 payment. I made every other payment on time, but had some personal problems come up when my last payment was due. After talking to them and promising to pay the next month on the 2nd, they were super rude about it. I woke up today on the 1st and they had already repossessed my car! I was two months late, but it was my last payment and I talked to them about it. They could have at least waited to see if I would pay on the 2nd before they took it. I only owed one more payment and they thought they would try to come and pretty much rob me over $150! Now I have to go pay $475 tomorrow to get my car back! Thank God I will be done with them after this, but they shouldn't treat good customers this way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mid-Atlantic Finance Company?

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

When I got my car loan with South Jersey Finance and after 2 years of paying on time, they sold my loan to these **, who proceeded to tell me I was late (not true) this is a common trait that they do to get the car buyers in financial trouble. I fought with them constantly and their help was calculating and rude. They wanted me to catch me up on a payment??? And came to an agreement where they made a form that would make me current if I paid a fee. They sent the paperwork on my computer... I read it signed it and paid the fee to bring me current. They got the money and then said a week later that they made a mistake and cannot do it.

I asked them if I could pay my payment when I got my next check and they said ok. That day they would not accept my payment and said I would have to pay double, and they repossessed my car the same day!!! This is a common tactic used by this company, and I would not finance my car through anyone who uses them!!! THEY ARE THE BIGGEST CROOKS AND LIARS IN THE CAR INDUSTRY AND ARE THE WORST PEOPLE ON EARTH! NOT WORTH SAVING! I would give them a minus 10 stars if I could... Please do not fall into their deceptive traps... The BBB should investigate them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

This company is awful. They took over my loan and it has been a nightmare since then. As soon as they got it they said I was late. People were nasty and not knowledgeable at all. Then they kept calling my job only to hear me say I will pay next week. I finally had to threaten that I was recording the calls and got an attorney before they would stop. Without question the worst business I have ever dealt with. 3 more payments to go I hope and see you bye bye.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Ever since my car loan got bought out by these people my payment has "always been late" or they say they never got it when in my bank account it clearly shows they got it. Then they took out a payment today over 500 bucks. Only 81 bucks of it was approved. This company is horrible and needs to be shut down.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Car loan - Was on time until they unexpectedly bought my loan just to ruin my credit. They are calling everyday just to get told the same information I told them the day before. I refuse to answer their calls anymore. They are rude and keep asking you the same questions over and over. I wish I had the choice for them to not purchase my loan. I will be filing harassment against them. They say I'm 300 behind and that they haven't received any payments that I've mailed to them in over a month. Worst company ever. Needs to be shut down by the FTC and BBB.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I been paying my car on time, one day I was informed that my acct is been sold to this company. On March I did 2 payments, the balance at that time was 1200 even, now in May I was ready to do May payment and I find out that the balance is 865.00. I did call the company and they states interest are base of total payments are 29 so practically they are charging or punished me for do payments in advance. I'm trying to pay off the balance of course and they said should be wait until next week because they need to calculate the balance. I don't understand why. If the balance is 665 how much more I need to pay to close the acct with them. Looks like and will be responsible for the interest they should not getting from me if I close the acct now. This is a company that abuse the people.

Original review: March 29, 2017

My car loan was in perfect standing until they bought the account without my knowledge. Now my normal autopay that I make is coming out every time, but because it was being taken out by the original finance company and then transferred to them without me knowing about it, they trashed my credit rating saying I'm late and missing payments when I have the proof that each and every payment was made. I worked my ** off to rebuild my credit into the 750 range and thanks to them I went down into the 400s overnight and they won't report it in error. I'm done with them, I just purchased a NEW car for less than what these shysters were charging me! ABSOLUTE CON-ARTISTS. They can go to hell.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Worst finance in the world. My account was transferred to this company without my consent or knowledge. They lie and are rude. They turn your car off without warning or a phone call. I have always paid 2 weeks and it's been a problem every time. I hate their service over the phone, they are not helpful. I don't know what the balance is on my account because I cannot view it online.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I bought a car through Rhodes Auto Sales. After a few months MA took over. I didn't even know about it too. I called about my car being flooded. Now to speed up they repo my car Friday night after I gave them 540.00 dollars on my account. I was behind 1350 due to a job loss but they say they was gonna defer the payments 2 weeks ago. Now my car is gone. They put most of the money towards interest when they know I was trying to catch up and I told them I would pay the balance off soon as tax money hit. They a rip off. Rude as hell. I want to sue this company. I'm single and trying to make it with health issues but I gave them 540.00 dollars to come get my car. I'm pissed.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I have been making payments with this company for almost a year now. I have asked on several occasions for them to send me a copy of my payment history. Every time I call in I have trouble actually making the payments. In the beginning we could only pay by bank account or MoneyGram. So I started paying with MoneyGram. 2/1/2017 I made a payment for $200 and called in on 2/2/2017 to make the payment. A lady told me the payment was pending and I asked her what did that mean? She told me that the payment hadn't posted yet but that it could be because I made the MoneyGram payment after 3 pm. So I said okay and that I would call in another $200 on Friday 2/3.

I called in today to make my payment and was told the same. Payment was pending and I asked about the day before and I was told that they didn't see a payment only the one from today. I asked for a supervisor and was told the supervisor didn't have time to take the call. So I started fussing and the guy transferred me to another lady who claimed she was a manager in a different city and I needed to get in touch with my account manager to find out what was going on. I asked the lady "How did I get to another city and I called number I always call?" She said got smart and I asked her if there was someone above her to speak to and she told me I could hang up and call back. I told her I was at work and had spent 45 mins already on hold. I didn't want to hang up and call back. I asked her what was her name and she told me I could hold and put me on hold for over 5 mins.

While on hold another person got on the phone and I could hear them talking about me in the background. I told them I could hear them and that I needed to speak to someone NOW!!! Another person got on the line and basically lied and did the same thing. I had read so many bad reviews on this company. It's not funny. They shouldn't even still be in business.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

This company buys "good loans" from buy here, pay here dealerships. The dealerships have no clue how bad they are. They charge extra for online payments and even when paying ahead they keep calling to threaten for payment. I can't even understand them when they call.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I financed a vehicle through Rhodes Auto Sales. It was a 3 year loan and never had a problem. Several months ago Mid Atlantic Finance bought out the loan (without my knowledge). I was contacted a month later (by then I had late fees) as to where to make the payment. By the time Mid Atlantic bought out my loan I had already paid more than 2 years on my vehicle. I was in a car accident on Sept 22, 2016. The vehicle was deemed a total loss. WHY, 40 days later, (with 7 months left on the original loan) when Insurance is ready to issue payment, do I still owe almost $8,000 on my loan (original loan amount was $15k)??? And accumulating interest EVERYDAY until they get the check!!

Did they tack on several thousand to my loan when they bought it from Rhodes?? WTH??? So what happened to all the money I've paid over the past 2.5 years?? This has to be illegal or there has to be something that can be done!! It doesn't take a genius to be a customer service rep, but it may require common sense none of which Mid Atlantic has!!! Their customer service reps are rude as hell and obviously highly uneducated. They seriously lack common sense!! I'm suing somebody. And it's not about the money in this case, it's simply principle. I don't care how much legal fees cost, I don't care if I pay out the **. If it takes this scum off the street, then every penny spent will be well worth it!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I have good credit. Bought a car for my son. I supervised the payments. Never missed one. Never late. He knew if he missed one. I would take car. Loan sold to Mid Atlantic. He had proof he paid original loan company. We start getting nasty calls from Mid-Atlantic. We had no idea who they were. We sent them proof of payments. Nope they were not having it. I even got dealer involved. Long story short. A nightmare. Rude people. They shut my son's car off leaving him stranded. So we paid car off to end this nightmare. Still waiting for title. Three months. Still processing payment. Good thing my brother is a lawyer. He sent them a letter. I will take them to court for damages. Horrible place.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2016

They came in the night and stole my van that I paid them for in full. I need my van and I can't get it unless I pay them 1222 dollars I don't have. This company takes from the people who don't have. Read all the reviews on this company Mid-Atlantic Finance Company. They feed on the poor men and women. That is wrong. I am on a fix income. They wait till you pay your last note. They tell you your title will come in the mail... weeks pass. You wake in the morning, look outside, boom, your van is gone. You call them. They tell you, you owe them late fees. I paid for my van in full. Now I have late fees, tow fees. I have a bad heart, high blood. I need my van.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2016

First of all, I am so sorry to hear all this crap about MAF and I wish I would have known earlier. As a small business owner, when we do in house finance, all that money, our investment is "on the 'street" is a risk to lend money. Sometimes we get our payments late and people don't understand that a small business needs those payments to be able to pay bills and employees and stay at float just like any household. So we had the chance and the offer to sell a package of accounts for less than the total amount owed to us, but we would get the money up front, with a bonus pool check when all the accounts were paid off. Thanks God we only sold 7 accounts to MAF. They were 0% APR contracts and the customers finished paying off their vehicles.

It was a nightmare for our customers, and we did informed them about the accounts being sold. We thought it would be good, because they would be able to pay a bank at 0% APR no interest and get their credit score up. Well, they did, but it wasn't pleasant, and at the end of the day, we as a dealer, still waiting on the closing bonus pool check they are supposed to pay us since all our customers paid off their accounts. It's been a year since all accounts have been closed, and all I hear is, "I will get back with you, let me find out"! I'm going to my lawyer and in the name of other Dealers, let me tell you I'm so sorry. This experience is unpleasant to both ends, and you have to be a MF to keep selling accounts to these thieves!

Resolution response: Oct. 25, 2016

The company handled the issue properly.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

If I could give a negative rating, I would. I had zero problems with the company. Until it came to pay-off. I always paid early and over the amount. I traded the car in to buy another and that is when the late statuses started. After letting them know I didn't own the car anymore and them contacting the dealer, they continued to unprofessional and ignorant. After I disputed with Transunion, they posted the payoff and removed the late payments. Here it is, a month later after the dispute, and they added the late payments AGAIN... causing an additional 83 point drop to my credit score. Some people actually monitor and care about their credit. Congrats Mid-Atlantic for being not just the worst finance company, but also the most petty. You didn't get more interest payments so you toy with credit. I will be contacting my attorney and transunion again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

It really sucks when your account gets sold to another finance company & without any kind of notice! Then, after several phone calls with multiple people, I'm told that they will be sending me a form to fill out that will get me in line to have my vehicle serviced, as mine is still under Rhode's 2 year warranty. Because of horrible customer service and the fact that I never received that email, I kept withholding payments to MAF. Then one day, they decided to cut my car off so I can't start it and I had to explain everything over again regarding the warranty.

After honoring the warranty for many other clients, MAF decided that they weren't going to honor it for any other customers! WHAT???? Well, that's not really FAIR now is it?? I'm sure that I could find some way to sue them but who has time for this crap?? I asked for a deferral and received an approval for it but now they are not going to honor that. WHAT???? Ok. I now have a verbal agreement, account noted from 2 weeks ago, to pay extra toward what I owe with each payment, 1st & the 16th of each month and they STILL want to hassle me!

First of all, they called me at work just now (NOW I'm ready to file suit), and even after I told them I'm on a conference call meeting, she still wants to ramble on. I told her... "read the notes, I have an agreement to make extra payments *when I can* and my next payment is due on the 16th. And, oh... who gave you permission to call me at work because I never gave MAF permission to do so!" Rhodes never had permission to do so, so why is MAF doing it?? It's illegal! Now I'm done with them! If my car is disabled right now I will definitely sue them. And after reading all of these reviews, I think we should gather together and file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST MAF!!!! Who's in???

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

My account got sold to them without my knowledge. I have always paid larger payments than owed. I will pay 1000 or 800 at a time. They started charging me late payments and also saying I owe an extra 20 on my payments now because of interest. How is it I pay extra and my interest goes up and my pay off never goes down? This place is a joke. I asked for an email with all of my payments and the interest cause I have been paying for 2 years and I still owe half of what the loan was for and it is a 3 year loan. How the hell does that work? I am going to find all the extra money they have been taking and charging me and I am taking them to court! Do not go through them they are the WORST company I have ever dealt with in my life. They steal your money and never give you anything you ask for. Plus they shut your car off even if you have paid. Please go somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

I was making my payments on time. I would make my payments online. Couple payments I put online someone at Mid-Atlantic did not process the payments I was not aware of it. I got busy with life and I assume it was paid. I never got a letter in the mail, a call or nothing. I ask Mid-Atlantic why I didn't receive a notice about payment. They said, "That's how we do business". I'm like really that's messed up.

They came here got my car. I ask repo guy wait let me get my car he said ok. I was getting keys for repo guy I was not going argue with him. But when I went back in the house get the keys he took off with car. He lied. I had go over 40 miles get my stuff. Luckily I had extra vehicle. I said to Mid-Atlantic how much would it cost get get my car back. They said 1500. I only owed 600.00 that's awful expensive tow fee. That's worst company anybody can have, stay away from them they're **. Even place I bought car off from beginning try talk with them they wouldn't talk to them. They need be out business. If I could sue them I would.

Original review: July 22, 2016

The company I purchased my car from sold the loan out from under me to Mid-Atlantic without my consent or knowledge. I contacted them to make a settlement in which they agreed in writing. I was to pay $2800 and be paid in full, they would show it paid in full on my credit, and they would send me my title. First of all, the payment process is ridiculous. They would not take my card. I had to go get a money gram, which costs a lot more and I had a ton of trouble getting in that amount. Major pain.

Now that it is paid and has been over a month and a half, it is still on my credit. In fact, they show I paid a bit less than I did and are saying I still owe them $1400 AND have not sent me my title. The good news is, I have all of this in writing. Do not work with these slime balls if you don't have to, and if you get forced into it as we did, make sure every slimy word that comes out of their mouths is sent to you in writing before you spend a pretty penny toward your balance.

Original review: April 11, 2016

Like the others my loan was transferred to them without my knowledge or consent. I was expectedly upset by this. Bought and paid off four cars previously with the buy here pay here that sold my loan to them. I did some research and found nothing but bad things about them. I am down to one payment left after dealing with MAF for six or eight months. I pay each month about the time I'm supposed to, I'm not even sure of my due date. They have reported all of my payments on time and boosted my credit score. I was very upset at first and gave them an earful when I started paying them based on what I have read about them. They were very kind to me on the phone. The only problem I've had are the fees they charge to take my payment and the fees to send the payments in the methods they require.

My $360 payment has cost me $413 to make. I'm not sure where that $53 is going each month. Well at least the $40 after the $12.xx cost of MoneyGram. Nobody has called me ever concerning my account. Overall I would say I'm happy with them having my loan, but I was already paying 22% on my car and the extra cost of paying them made the amount I'm paying for the car absolutely absurd. Haven't done the numbers but I'm paying prob 30% interest said and done if you look at it that way. I'm curious if that is even legal. Aside from that they were ok with me, but now that my credit is excellent I am happy I won't be dealing with them after this.

Good luck to anyone having trouble making payments, as I believe what I have read as the stories seem consistent across the board. My advice is to pay them on time and pay extra if you can. I pay an extra $40 on my own every payment and they never gave me any trouble. The money extra I send disappears, so I guess we had an unspoken shakedown agreement lol. Just give them some extra money and spare yourself from the rest of the stories I've read. If you are reading this you are already in this boat so take my advice or don't. Worked for me though.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I bought a car from Fort Mill auto. Everything was good until I tried to make a play land. He informed me that he sold my account. This was on a Friday and he told me to hold my payment and someone would be in touch. They never called me and so I reached out to them on the following Monday. They charged me a late fee even though I was told to wait and didn't know who to pay. And from that point on they have been charging me with partial late fees every week. My contract states that I have ten days to pay before it's considered late. What the hell is a partial late fee?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2015

My car loan was given to them without my knowledge. I call Monday to make a payment and I was informed at that time that my load was no longer with the buy here pay here location that I originally bought it. I was given a number to give me to finance a car and ever since I was switched referred over to them this has been the worst experience of my life stop. Starting with the customer service reps who are the rudest people I have ever met in my entire life. You can only make certain payments they charge for every payment that you make to them.

On Friday which was December 16, 2015 I called him to let them know that my bank card had been stolen and to make a stop on that payment and then I would money gram the payment. I was told that was fine but that payment had been stopped here is Monday and I get notification from my bank that a payment 170.96 had tried to be withdrawn from my closed account. Mind you I had asked him that previous Wednesday to make a stop payment and I made my payment on Saturday morning but then I am charged $15 for non-sufficient be. When again I asked him to make a stop payment on that account because it was closed out. Someone has stolen my Bankard.

The supervisor told me that she would have to listen to a recording of the conversation to take off the $15. OK for you. Go ahead and listen to it because I know that's what I've done so now here it is. Wednesday when I get another notification from my bank on my closed account that there was another draw, a 170.96 trying to be withdrawn from my closed accounts. I have just spoken with the supervisor and everything about it was taken care of that time. Well it wasn't in. There is another $15 fee but I have to pay. This company is a total joke. This company shouldn't be allowed to be in business. I will no longer deal with this company. This car is back and forth in the shop and I'm just tired. Worst experience in my life.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

About a year ago Mid-Atlantic bought out the company that was in charge of my car payments. The original set up was so frustrating not taking certain types of payments or charging different fees. If you have a concern or need help the customer service is rude! Even leaving me in tears after all I wanted to do was pay my bill. They are argumentative and not helpful!

One huge thing about this company is that they cash your check whenever they want to... Completely messing up your bank account. For example I set up my bill pay to have it due on example today... For the past year it doesn't get taken until 3 business days later. Last payment and this part was taken out at a different times. Yes it is due today but why for a year cash it 3 business days later then charge? And after calling to inquire about it I get told, " Well your bill is due so all we are doing is cashing it... It's your fault." I sometimes live check to check sometimes I don't but they are not organized at all. I CANNOT WAIT TO PAY OFF THIS PAYMENT!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

My contract was sold to this company without my knowledge. Other financing companies, please don't do this to your clients because you're setting them up for a terrible experience. First, it turned out they accept very limited methods of payment and charge you for making a payment. This caused some difficulty for me but it was still something I could deal with. Then I found out my car was shut down remotely.

My car has a device that allows the financing company to shut down the car in case a payment is not made. However, all my payments were made on time. I called them to see what was going on, and they told me they don't have the resources to check on every contract whether a payment has been made, so they just allow the device to always shut the car down, and I will have to make a phone call every month after my payment to ask them to release the car. This is an extreme inconvenience and puts me at risk of having my car shut down when I need it. It is unacceptable for them to hold my car hostage like that when I'm making all my payments on time. In fact it is a breach of contract. When I fulfill my part of the contract by making a payment they have no right to withhold my car from me this way. I will absolutely pursue this matter.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

I sold some of my accounts to them. They have been extremely difficult for my former customers to make payments to them. They charge them fees to make payments. Whether it be a Credit card or money order. They only accept certain types. This was not explained to me when I sold them these accounts. I would never ever suggest a business to sell their accounts to them.

Mid-Atlantic Finance Company Company Information