1.05/5

290 Merrill-Lynch Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2019

I bought stock with Merrill-Lynch from within my employer. They added hidden fees to my account and decided to sell my stock to cover the fees without my permission. I planned to hold on to my stock but just to cut ties I will be selling what I have left so I can end my relationship with these crooks.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I have just been through a huge nightmare with Merrill-Lynch and the investment team. Buyer beware. I'm doing you a favor. They may hear what you want but they do not listen. I felt pressured into signing things that were not understood or told, not to worry because they have me covered. WRONG!!!! Run from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Online Financial Advisors delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

If there is a possibility that at some time in the future you may want to move your money to another investment company, never EVER start with Merrill-Lynch. My new investment adviser has been trying for almost 2 months to get my money transferred from Merrill-Lynch to TD Ameritrade. They have thrown up one roadblock after another. Today I had to resign a bunch of documents because Merrill did not like how my signature "looked"; OUTRAGEOUS!!! It's the client's money! They should be able to do what they want with their money without interference by Merrill-Lynch!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been dealing with them for 3 weeks now. I’ve been given misinformation as to what they need to complete my residential loan. I’m suppose to be closing on my home in 2 days and they are dragging their feet with giving me my money so I can close. Now I have to push the date back again because of them. I would recommend anyone to apply 2 months in advance to keep from going through this nonsense.

Original review: April 2, 2019

After my father passed away, my ex financial advisor of 16 years played a fast one. My mother had a meningioma that was almost an inch long in 2009. She never had surgery or did anything for it. My father died in 2015. Two weeks after my father was buried, my ex financial advisor had my mother sign a Trusted IRA document with no legal representation. My father always handled the finances. My mother had no idea what she was doing. She did not pay her mortgage for months, her electric was about to be shut off.

I tried helping her but two nonfamily members convinced my mother that I was attempting to put her away and steal her money. The real truth was that this couple were out of money and had to sell their million dollar home. The husband also told me I needed to use the power of attorney to put her away. I informed that I was not putting my mother away nor was I separating my parents. My father was dying of the same kind of brain tumor John McCain had.

This couple, while my father was alive were working on ousting me out so they could steal my mother’s money. The husband told me he had been the executor on a number of his friend’s estate. I thanked him and told him I did not need their help. The wife called me and told me that I was not to bring my son to see my dying father because her husband got the flu. Ironically she only picked on my son not my daughter. Neither of my children were sick and both had flu shots. In fact my children never got the flu until they were 5 and 4; this was after both my parents had passed away.

I went to my financial advisor of 16 years who was also my parents' advisor. I told him what the couple were up to. I was seeking help to stop those people I had no idea he would do what he did. After my mother died I was told by the Trust officer that my $160,000 estate tax bill to the state would not be covered by the Trust. This is after the Trust officer told my attorney’s office the estate tax bill would be paid. I asked for help in paying the monthly mortgage on my mother’s house until the house was sold ($179,000 total mortgage) would not be covered. I was also told there was a HEMS clause then told there wasn’t one. The cleaning lady also moved herself in a month after my father died. She hired an unlicensed caregiver who wrote two checks totaling $18,000 the day my mother died of a massive heart attack.

I wrote a letter to my ex financial advisor blasting him for making me face the possibility of bankruptcy and pulled all of my and my children’s accounts away from him and Merrill-Lynch. Finally they coughed up the estate bill money. I should not have been put in that position to begin with. This past year I wrote a letter asking for educational support for my children. I received a call from a new Trust officer. This place never even let me know that the other Trust officer had been replaced. This Trust officer told me there was a HEMs clause. Any money I might need gets to be determined by some moron in another state who doesn’t know anything about me!

This company left me looking at bankruptcy and caused a tremendous amount of emotional distress, stress and financial hardship. A TRUSTED IRA IS ONLY A LEGAL WAY FOR THIS COMPANY TO STEAL YOUR CHILD’S OR CHILDREN’S INHERITANCE. Pay the money to an attorney for a real trust! Don’t 'cause your family any other anguish, they are already dealing with the rest of your estate and burial.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrill Lynch?

Original review: April 1, 2019

It’s mind blowing that you must lose everything to be able to take a hardship withdrawal. Instead of being proactive when struck with a medical issue. So thanks for the customer support and while I lose everything just to get what is mine that would keep me out of the hole.

Original review: March 23, 2019

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO HELP YOUR FINANCIAL SUCCESS. Let me first start by saying that I'm not a financial professional and and have always been told to let the professionals manage your money. This company is a professional at making themselves money and spinning statistics into something that sounds good and then use scare tactics to bully you into making decisions because they're the professionals and you should not try to do this yourself.

Now some stats. I had three different ADVISED accounts at one time totaling over $100k. The investments were heavily pushed into a single Blackrock Global fund. 18 years later, my account averaged a 2% compounded return from their advisement services. Merrill-Lynch advisors traded my single Blackrock Global fund into 10 different Blackrock Global funds two times during the past 18 years. Every one of these trades had fees and all the new funds were loaded with annual "maintenance" fees. They didn't have any answer when questioned on how that happened and I had to pay transaction fees to get back to the one single fund again.

Now I decide to do it myself as I'm older, have more financial knowledge, and lost my patience with them. Sound simple right? Just move your accounts to self-directed right? 6 months now of trying to get new self-directed accounts and move the funds over and I'm still working on it. You're basically put on the "just ignore and don't call them back because we're not going to make any money off you anymore" list once you say you want to go self-directed. On one attempt, the adviser had to read me 5 minutes of warnings about the risk of managing my own investments and how they are the professionals and that my money should only be managed by professionals and finally an "OK, we won't be here to help you anymore if that's what you want to do."

On my last and current attempt to create a self-directed account and move my funds out of the advised account, the adviser was completely irritated, I had the new account created online, he said it needed time to create and all he wanted to do was get off the phone. Now I call back to get access to the account which was created a week ago and the adviser that answers says that the new account creation has to be finalized by the person that created it and he'll call you back. It's been a week with multiple phone calls and he won't call back. This is completely normal that they say they'll call or e-mail back and it takes days or weeks if they ever do.

So much of this is buyer beware, I get that. I'm hoping that this review will help the next "buyer" of Merrill-Lynch service to beware of them and go to a financial adviser that will help them success in their financial future, not someone who is just out to make money off your money. I plan to move all my funds out of Merrill-Lynch as soon as I can get direct access to all my funds without all the fees that come with advisory services.

One last thing, I was so irritated with the Blackrock fund performance that I asked the adviser to sell the fund and buy 3 individual stocks. After much questioning and push back he finally said ok, and quickly read the sell/buy disclosures. He read them so fast that when I finally caught one of the sentences, it was disclosed that my trade fees were $75 each! I tried to stop the transactions and he said, "Sorry, too late, they're already processing."

Original review: March 20, 2019

I called a week ago to have my account closed out from Merrill-Lynch and was expecting a check that I still have not received. After contacting them, the rep stated that I was going to have to wait another 5-7 business days before receiving the check that I had to supposed to have been received. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. The service is poor and the products. All you will get is empty apologies and the short end of the stick. Invest your monies elsewhere, with a company who will work for you and not against you!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Stay away from this company. I currently have a cash account with approx $200K that I should be able to access whenever I want. I’ve spoken with Chris and Brian who both assured me I could withdraw same day. I called early Friday am, 2/15/19, to get $150K transferred to my local bank account. I am transferred to the distribution dept. and spoke with Sam who proceeds to say I must complete another form in order to obtain the money. She stated she saw where I had withdrawn before (2017 where I went through the same red tape), but I have to complete a form AGAIN in order to get the money wired.

It’s the same bank, same account, etc. She then says she needs to know what I’m planning to do with MY money. I told her it was none of their business what I plan to do with my money, all I need her to do is email me the form and I would fax it back ASAP as I want to withdraw. She told me she would email, I did not receive it!!! I called back and was on hold for a while and finally got Omari (not sure the spelling) who already knew what I wanted when he answered, and stated it would be emailed shortly. I did not receive the form and is now 2/16/19, Saturday.

I am extremely frustrated with this company as they try everything in their power to delay withdrawals. I experienced this previously and I am now sure this is their usual practice. The first time I liquidated stock, transferred the money to my local bank and transferred my IRA. I received a call with 4 or 5 people on the call wanting me to explain why I was moving my accounts and transferring my money. They were condescending and arrogant and I finally told them what I did with MY money was my business and I didn’t have to explain anything to them. They tried everything to change my mind.

At that time, I withdrew about $1.4m total including my IRA and I left about $200K in a cash account. I am now going through the same ordeal again. I plan to withdraw everything from this company if I can get them to “allow” me to do so. My advice: Choose another company to handle your stock and portfolio. They are difficult to deal with aside from their fake customer service guarantee. Nice on the phone and guarantee you will get what you need, but not true

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I made the mistake of going to Merrill-Lynch for financial advice after getting in inheritance. I was in a very vulnerable place after my mom had passed away. They steered me into an annuity, and then although they didn’t do anything to actually service the annuity besides purchase it, they were charging me approximately $200 a month simply because the annuity was under their name. They never made a single trade on the account in over a year, so I don’t know what they consider servicing an account. I then closed both my stock portfolio account and the annuity account with Merrill-Lynch last summer.

It’s now January 2019, and I received a notice from Merrill-Lynch that I own a $125 service fee because they had left two cents in the annuity account, even though I received a notice dated August 24, 2018, stating they were no longer servicing the account. Merrill-Lynch corporate would not do a single thing to help me out and told me I had to go speak to the advisor to have the fee removed. I didn’t particularly want to meet with the advisor again because he displayed a poor attitude when I closed my accounts. So I sent an email to him and was told somebody from the office would get in touch with me.

Although they did eventually remove the $125 fee they created a huge hassle for me, and I have no idea why .02 cents was left in the account to begin with, but then to charge somebody $125 for two cents in an account is ridiculous. Stay away from Merrill and find yourself a good independent financial advisor. The man I’m working with now has done 5x the work Merrill ever did for me, and his fees are reasonable. He’s not charging me anything to give advice about the annuity, and he seems to know more about it than the guys at Merrill did that sold it to me. I get the impression from Merrill that if you didn’t have a million or more in your account that they just do not care about you as a customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My mother's Financial estate was with Merrill-Lynch. The snake oil salesman broker talk to me into staying with them and opening a managed IRA account. Three months later I was out $17,000 in lost money from their bad Investments, and exorbitant fees. This was in Spring of 2018 when the market was doing very well. The Fidelity portfolio that I manage myself with absolutely no Financial background just common sense earned about 16% in the same time period. I am SICK about this experience.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Despite being a customer of Bank of America (who owns them) for many years and keeping their large sums, for a very long time, was called a fraud, basically, when tried to open account with ML. Also, they requested impossible/ridiculous documents (utility bills: I happen to have none) to "verify my address", while they have all kind of info on me through BofA (their parent company), and this happens to be my BofA address on file.

They didn't even contact me: I had to. I was insulted, spoken rudely to, clearly because I was born outside the States, even though I'm a US citizen for a long time. The level of people I spoke to was... very low and unpleasant. I'm shocked at hatred I faced and I'm taking all my money out of Bank of America. Multiple big brokerages had opened an account for me in one business day with no issues this week, instead. The only reason I was interested in this horrendous Merril-Lynch broker is free trades because of BofA account, but now I'll be taking these funds out of their whole system: bye, bye. I'm glad this happened: reading other reviews here, I imagine the problems I could have faced. Will give no business to these organization, or any affiliate. Let's how "too big to fail" they're next time (and it's coming)!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Requested a hardship withdrawal on 12/1/18 (it was a Saturday and started the process). Had to also fax the documents as well... They claim it takes 48 hours for them to receive a fax... The check was supposed to be sent via UPS on 12/18/18 and it was sent US Mail. After talking with a supervisor I said I would wait for the mail and he said I would have the check 12/21/18. Guess what??? It has not arrived yet... Plus they charged me the $45 hardship fee twice. They won't send hardships via direct deposit as the previous company Mercer did. Unreal!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My father passed away in November 2018, he had several investments in this company and started the paperwork to take out his money for his funeral expenses since June 2018 so my mother would not have any issue along the line, never-heard from anyone so I stepped in and made several calls and still kept getting the run around, they would say you need to sign some paperwork. Got that taken care. Called back again and said it was pending? Then attempted to call again on the status and said We need to call the trade team in order to give them permission to liquidate. Called them and they said they showed nothing on file ever being processed.

It is such a headache to get the money back that you worked hard for and had faith in this company to help you down the line for expenses that you thought you would have taken care of and not put the burden on any of the family members or my poor mother. I have come to a conclusion that they do not want you to withdraw the money and keep it invested in their company which will never happen. That is my father's money and it’s not to give away. The phone calls will continue with this company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My mom had a lot of stocks, CDs, money, etc. with Merrill-Lynch for many years. When she passed, my sister and I inherited them. Her longtime adviser became our good friend. I took the test to see if I was high risk or very low risk. Low risk was my choice. The stocks she had me in did absolutely nothing! I lost money, portfolio was not even balanced out for my risk assessment. I moved to another financial company and Merrill-Lynch took almost a week to transfer all my stuff, they also rejected my disability check after they said they'd deposit it in my account! It was plain evil on their part and the adviser Cheryl **. I had NO money to pay my bills, buy food and I had to call all my creditors, VA disability center about my check and go into my change jar to get $5 so I could open up a credit union account.

I tried to warn my sister, but she remained friends with this terrible person. Just yesterday I get a call from my sister and she tells me, "Cheryl ** screwed me too." Put her in very risky stocks. In the RED!! My sister had no idea. As her financial adviser she should be watching those stocks, balance them out, inform the client, listen to the client when they say, "I'm a low risk investor." Cheryl ** NEVER did. Put my sister's portfolio on the bottom of her stack. Now she's trying to say, like she did with me, "The client was doing their own buying and selling." **!! My sister could have lost everything and now she has to sell off certain high risk stock to balance her portfolio out. It'll cost her $10,000! She's retired and on a fixed income. Dishonest, liars, will ignore you unless you have a BIG investment. Merrill-Lynch will rob you blind.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I opened my account with them, and after a month of it being in review they without any reason closed my account. Causing me to lost my disability check that I desperately need. I will never in my life have anything to do with them again. They have no right to close someone's account without notice or reason. Whatever you do, do NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY SUCK!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I also had Platinum status at BOA, so free trades with Merill. Out of the blue, they tell me move my IRA or they will liquidate it and send me the check in 30 days. No reason given at all. Luckily, I had an account at a competitor. They are total jerks, will never recommend or do business with them again. Funny thing they still send tons of junk mail and spam asking me to open account.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I am a platinum honors client of BOA/Merrill. I maintain a 6 figure balance between my checking and savings, and I had roughly 35k in investments with Merrill Edge. Out of the blue, I received a notice that my 2 accounts were being terminated. I called to ask why and no explanation could be given. The "investment specialist" said there aren't any notes as to why, and it just appears that they don't want to do business with me anymore. He apologized, but nobody could give me an answer. I just can't believe they would treat a customer that way to just terminate his accounts? My options are to liquidate, or pay $49.50 to transfer to a different institution. Unbelievable...

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My mother placed stock orders on 10/21 to be filled 10/22. Discovered orders were “missing” late 10/22 & was told they’d had a “computer glitch’” and if she wanted those trades she’d need to place them again. Market had gone down so she decided NOT to replace most of them but did place 4 new trades for 10/23. The “new” trades went through & all seemed well. Late on evening of 10/24 she discovered 8 ADDITIONAL TRADES in her account that’d been back-dated to 10/22 (all of these trades were the ‘missing” trades from “glitch” but now the stocks had gone down even further and she was out approximately $10K++). She spoke with people on 10/22, early and later 10/24 and 10/26.

She also spoke to Manager on 10/29...bottom line: They will NOT REVERSE the 8 trades from computer glitch that didn’t show up in her account until 36 hours later...and caused her to place duplicate trades in some cases...because “they show only 1 or 2 trades were actually affected by computer glitch”. This is simply NOT TRUE and she now owns stock she doesn’t want and at significant losses (losses would be substantially more if she sells). They have “conveniently” lost the original phone call from 10/22 wherein she was told none of the orders would be placed. They are unethical and dishonest and, insult to injury, somewhat condescending. She tried working with them calmly all last week and finally got frustrated yesterday and tried to be more tenacious. They won’t let her hear the phone calls (even though she’s the person on the calls) and, unless she spends more money in legal fees, it appears she has no further recourse.

DON’T OPEN ANY ACCT WITH MERRILL-LYNCH. Her broker left them because of what she perceived to be unethical behavior (my mom’s words). Mom left her self directed IRA/ROTH with them assuming they’d be fine since she was the only one making trades in the accounts - so what bad thing could happen? Yes, in hindsight, it was foolish!! You will not get service from them if they mess up and they will not take any responsibility for errors they make. She has stage 4 cancer and this money is all she has; she can’t work due to side effects of treatments and a loss of this magnitude is DEVASTATING. There’s much more to the story but I hope this summary is enough to help people be safe and STAY AWAY FROM MERRILL-LYNCH!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Our money was supposed to be invested. We were told the money was invested. We never received statements and tried to follow up and were pushed back that things take time. Months later, we received a statement that showed that not only had our money been sitting in cash for months, but we were being charged a fee for them to hold it in cash. Now we want to transfer the money and they do not want us to. They are not willing to invest it, which makes no sense to me at all. They just transfer us around and we always end up speaking to someone who says they are not the person we are supposed to talk to. I just want to transfer the money away from them. We are about 50 yrs old and never ever had this trouble with Fidelity in the 25 years we have used Fidelity.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

This is a very honest review. I am using Merrill Edge for 1 year now as my primary broker for stocks primarily. The commission of this broker is at $6.95 per trade. The reason I am still with them is that I get 100 free trades per month thru their reward program (besides the free trades, everything else is a disaster). They been around for years, I am sure more than most of other competitors. Their trading platform (Marketpro) sucks big time. Very based web-based. All active traders should stay away from this disaster 100 miles away.

They have something called "Safepass", pretty much prior to entering a trade you have to get a code in your phone as SMS to verify the trade. You will definitely not going to get the entry you desire in a trade. There is no "HotKeys" to place orders. Everything has to go thru a manual entry with a verification step which takes few seconds to place any type of order. They don't have a good stock scanner tool. They brag about their research, yet they don't provide a premarket or aftermarket gappers list. Anyway, I am about to say goodbye to 100 free trades due to all other problems that come with those free trades. The 1 star is due to its free trades. Other than that it's a "ZERO".

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Once again I am on hold waiting anyone to answer. They received and held funds from my disability checks without authorization, and now I cannot reach anyone for a disbursement of the funds. Just today I have been on hold well over an hour, and their website states disbursements cannot be done online. You can get account information online (as the recording has stated 100 times now) but can’t do anything with the information you find. I didn’t think anyone could do a poorer job than FI, ML proves otherwise. It’s frightening to learn that you really have no control over your own money, isn’t it!?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Since the passing of my mother-in-law last summer, Merrill Lynch has used every trick in the book over the past 6 months to keep my husband from his rightful inheritance. Stonewalling, sending us on all sorts of crazy wild goose chases, and the latest, "requiring" an IRS document for transfer of funds that the IRS has notified us that we do not require. They have $230,000 of our money, and reading the reviews on this site, I know that our experience is not unique. I always try to think the best of people, but it has become transparent that ML employees seem trained finds ways to keep beneficiaries from their inheritance, exploiting the pain, grief, and embarrassment tangled up in the process of having to "gravel" for a deceased family member's money. They are counting on us feeling this way!

They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Financial Investors have no fiduciary responsibility to their investors, meaning they cannot be held criminally liable for not having our best interests at heart. So what do they do? They same thing over and over to seemingly countless families, sit on our money long enough to earn fees for themselves until they are finally worn down and the fight is no longer worth it to them or threatened with legal action. Therein lies the problem. Once there is a lawsuit or once they finally hand over the money, there is literally nothing that can be done to punish them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

For six months, we've been waiting for a small partial payout (about $7000 times three people). These guys promise date after date, inching along by two days, then a week, then another two days, over and over. I guess they figure that if the payout is just around the corner, they won't get sued for no performance. However, each time the day arrives, they simply say they're not distributing the money, don't need to explain. We even took them to court here in Florida, they just gave them an extension, the date and time came and they did the same to him. No payment, no reason.

If pushed, they sometimes come up with some sort of undisclosed internal processing procedure that they claim to have just magically just "found" (Obviously, I believe that they generate this stuff when they need it.). For those of us who have relied on their word, we're losing everything, cannot pay for medical bills and more, but ML really doesn't care one bit. They keep holding on to customer’s money and are packaging and investing it to earn millions, just like they caused the 2009 depression. These guys believe they're above the law, and they obviously are. Don't invest money with them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Just wanted to post two annuities were placed within the IRA. Each annuity had its own fees in addition to the wealth manager's agreed upon monthly fee for the total IRA account. Ouch. Check those paper statements. Figured out the cost to have such a product did not make sense. There is an agreed upon timeframe for each annuity before you can dump it. There is a dollar penalty if you ask your wealth manager to dump a product before whatever date has been set on yours. Overall, the wealth manager does not want to dump an annuity within your account because of the commission they are making. Also, if you have one be sure to ask if it is transferable to spouse in the event of your death. Many are not. They are complicated and expensive. Requested advisor to get rid of annuities. He did it; he was not happy. I sure was!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Asked Merrill-Lynch to transfer 401k to a Fidelity IRA, and they only transferred part of the total. When called them back to ask what is going on, they now said had to fill out a form to transfer the rest and it would take 90 days to get the money! Sent form by mail and after 90 days - NO MONEY! Called them and was advised they didn't get the form and will have resubmit form to get the money and wait another 90 days! This firm should have been put out of business instead of being bought by Bank of America. They are the biggest fraudster on Wall Street. BUYER BEWARE!!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Terrible performance on managing over 1 million dollars. Then we I decided to move the funds from Merrill-Lynch to another investment service, Merrill-Lynch starting a stonewalling and slow work in actually transferring the funds. Got several calls from people I didn't even know asking about the transfer. One lady named Morgan actually said she would hold the printing of a check and wire the funds and she would wait for our wiring instructions. Got wiring instructions but when I contacted them back it was after 430 PM and they were closed. Called this morning August 28th and no one knew a thing and this person Morgan wasn't in today. As of now, I don't know where my money is.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

If you or a loved one, use Glenn **, make sure and double check your paperwork, especially when it comes to transfer on death. One day, you will find out his assistant, Klair, mishandled the paperwork, filled out the paperwork wrong while Glenn was on vacation. Their manager will call you and admit a mistake was made, but will explain there is nothing they can do. The more you look into the financial advice that was given over the years to your family member, the more questions you start to generate. Thank you Glenn for your incompetence, you made a blatant $600,000 mistake and do not even have the honor to apologize, you have your manager clean up your mess.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Merrill Lynch has devolved into an incompetent bureaucratic organization that is unresponsive to customer needs. An attempt to close an account required numerous emails, phone calls, and requests from ML for paperwork that had been previously sent. When ML originally divided the account, they made a calculation error and left $42 in the account and did not close it. When the paperwork was finally complete, I was told that a $75 fee would be charged to close the account!!! Never ever choose this organization if you value your time or your money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I moved my account from Sharebuilder as they were closing, by the way never had an issue with that broker to Merrill Edge. I joined because of the Bank of America Preferred Rewards which are nice. Read lots of reviews good and bad. I figured any major bank going to have some issues but it seems to be one after the other. They messed up my transfer that I had put in months before as I knew I was deploying and took weeks of calling every day for hours right up to the day before I was deploying for military duty to get fixed. Luckily I got one representative who understood and worked the issue to the end which was nice after going through 5 different ones before who did nothing but repeat same thing over and over. That was the start of issues. Now I can't reinvest dividends from certain companies which raises my taxes when paid as cash which is unacceptable and each representative gives same excuse with no real answer or fix.

There is no real way to submit a complaint or issue except to talk to a representative instead of sending a form or email or call to a complaint center which tells you they don't seem to care or hope it will get lost in the mess of representatives and hope you forget at that point. They have changed their low priced security policy which makes it even harder to buy the stocks you want. I will continue to try out the free trades which is the only positives of the preferred rewards program and hope things get better. If not I will transfer to a better broker and pay slightly higher fees for trades but get better use of my assets with less hassle. If you are thinking about joining I recommend going somewhere else. I miss ShareBuilder and starting to question if I should have let it go to E-Trade. The only benefit is the preferred rewards program but I am starting to question if it is worth it.

Merrill Lynch expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Merrill Lynch is owned by Bank of America, one of the world’s leading financial institutions. The company serves approximately 47 million consumers and small businesses and has 4,700 retail financial centers.

• Services: As a part of the Bank of America family, Merrill Lynch offers an unparalleled menu of financial services. Their offerings include banking, investing, asset management and other financial and risk management products and services. Merrill Lynch has offices and representatives across the world and is accessible in the U.S. and globally.

• Products: The company has a unique approach to serving their clients. The website answers the “products” question by first asking consumers to outline what they are looking for, i.e. “I want ongoing financial advice and guidance designed to help me meet my goals,” or “I need to budget for steady income in retirement.” Their client fact sheet outlines a variety of investment strategy approaches. Merrill Lynch has access to all types of financial products through their large network.

• Educational and client resources: Their “Research and Insights” portal provides cutting edge investing commentary by professional analysts and financial journalists. The individual advisors guide investors through all of the financial questions.

• Best for: The newly wealthy, those experiencing family and/or household changes, consumers looking for a financial advisor to guide them through their life planning money goals, the financially unsavvy and business owners.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg