3.8/5 (724 ratings)

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

For the past several months, M&T has declined several of my debit card purchases for no reason. There is obviously a system issue that needs to be resolved, and this is extremely frustrating when trying to use debit cards. I have lost out on purchases, sales, tickets, etc due to this issue. I have filed multiple complaints with their fraud dept with no resolutions and future declined purchases. Unacceptable, and I will be changing banks as soon as I am able. Super frustrating since I’ve had them for years, and have several auto-deductions and direct deposit with them, but this is getting ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

This company is unethical, unorganized, and has appalling customer service. They lost my electronic release of lien for my car loan and thus I haven't been able to retrieve me car's title for over 4 months now. Customer service hangs up on me repeatedly. This should be illegal.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

Where have all the M&T tellers gone? Doesn't matter which location in the Buffalo Southtowns you go to, there is always at least a 30 minute line. Two tellers, one of which is alternating with the drive thru traffic. What corporate dingbat decided commercial tellers no longer warrant a separate line? Now everyone gets to wait even longer than 30 minutes when both tellers are handling commercial business simultaneously. The last 3 months lines have been out the door no matter which location I visit. Hey M&T, our time is valuable too - way too many small local banks we can switch to.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

My mortgage was recently sold to M&T Bank, unfortunately. This was an investment property with me & 3 other people on the mortgage. *I had attempted to set up ACH payment via their mobile app but was unsuccessful (I ultimately had to do this via PC for those having the same trouble). I do take responsibility for missing a payment in the confusion (I should've checked the bank account to see that the money wasn't withdrawn but didn't). BUT, M&T claimed they tried to contact me about the late payment when they were actually calling a work number that isn't answered by any of the 4 of us directly, and the call was never received. They could've, and I'd argue "should've" called any 4 of the cell phone numbers associated with this account.

Ultimately, they have dinged 4 people's credit for a $2,400 late payment when all prior payments were early. To top it off, they suggested I contact the Credit Bureaus to dispute it, when they knew they would do nothing to help with the incident. If damaging our credit wasn't bad enough, they also had to waste our time with this runaround. I'd never use this bank if you're looking for a "customer oriented" bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2022

I am a disabled veteran who was recently awarded 100% disability, property tax exempt. After submitting all supporting paperwork, I was told 5 business days for an escrow analysis to be ran and the overage funds in escrow would be refunded. It has been 2 months with no resolution to date. Due to this company's negligence, I have faulted on my mortgage. I am saddened by the lack of integrity of this mortgage lender. This is the exact problem that needs fixing with how veterans of the United States are treated once discharged from service and are no longer of use.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

So I have a mortgage with M&T bank. Never been late once until somehow a payment bounced that I paid. Even though I got the notification that it went through from my bank. Went on with my life. Well I heard from them 32 days after my payment was due. Stating that my payment wasn’t paid. And I remember paying it. Look back in my emails. Had the verification of my payment went through. Then realized somehow it bounced so I paid it. Well they decided to put a 30 day late on my credit report. Even though they knew this wasn’t my fault. Causing my credit score to drop 100 points causing other issues in my insurance to cost more.

My Wells Fargo credit card dropped my credit limit by $10,000. Now showing that I use utilize more of my credit limit. Also making my credit score drop even more. All these banks are in cahoots with the credit bureaus. And they’re all crooks. They refused to move remove this even though they see in the last 15 years I’ve never had one late or anything derogatory on my credit report. The funny thing is they called me up because I’m a realtor asking if they can be my preferred referral lender. I want to refer them to a cockroach.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2022

Please watch out M&T bank closed out my credit card without me knowing saying because of a fraud alert. M&T bank didn't notify me about canceling my card. Until I try to use been having more issues with the bank. And thanks to them I lost a day of work so that's a day of pay for me. So please watch your account.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

This bank is shady, unethical, disorganized, and completely incompetent. Three months ago I accepted an offer on my house sale by a gentleman who is using this bank. Our original closing date was October 1st, they didn’t even order the appraisal to be completed until October 6th. It came back at 10k over my asking price and he was told that no repairs were needed because of that (it was an FHA Loan and the purchase agreement clearly states the property is being sold AS IS). They do not respond timely or at all to emails, and they do not offer updates. The buyer had to resubmit several forms several times to several different people because they apparently also do not communicate internally.

We finally got a second closing date of October 28th but nobody would give us a name or address or time for the closing. On October 27th at the end of the day, we received an email that they were not ready to close and they did not explain why, but it turns out they buyer needed to submit more paperwork that he had submitted already but they couldn’t find it!

On November 1st, 4 days after we were supposed to close and an entire month after they received the appraisal results they sent the buyer a huge list of repairs that needed to be completed before they could move forward. The list includes but is not limited to scraping and repainting the entire house and tearing down an old shed on the property. If these items were a determining factor in his eligibility they should have been sent a month ago when they received the appraisal and not 4 days AFTER we were supposed to close! I already moved hours away because they gave us a closing date. I am out of money, the buyer is out of money, I am double booked on my housing expenses and the buyer is effectively homeless. What a nightmare! I wouldn’t recommend this bank to my worst enemy.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

On Sunday 10/09/2022 I contacted M&T bank formerly People's United Bank since they did not move any bank statements from People's United to their computer system and only have 60 days worth of transactions online to view. I asked for at least the last year's worth of statements. I received a message that the statements were ready but that was only for the month of October. So now I have Sept and Oct of 2022. So I called and spoke to a pleasant customer service rep who said she could not do a full year but could transfer me to a specialist who could probably help.

So after all the waiting I speak with the specialist and told her the situation and explained I need this info ASAP. She tells me it's in process since I made the request 2 days ago so I only have 8 more days to wait since it's 10 days for this request. I explained that is not going to work as this is my bank info and I needed for a court case so I legally needed it. She explains that it is my fault that M&T sent a message to the future customers that it was their responsibility to grab their statements from People's United and she could not help me. I explained that this was not reasonable and that just because a bank makes a policy - And as I was trying to explain this she hangs up. And it was a definite hang up. I will be closing my account with M&T ASAP. This should have already been done when switching over the systems as was done when People's United took over United bank a few years ago when we had to go through this process then.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I recently took out a significant mortgage with the bank. I had a great experience until I opened a checking account and tried to access my mortgage and checking account online. I have not had access online to pay bills or access transfers or any other service for almost a month. The local bank tells me I have to call the 800 number. I have spent hours on hold and still those answering the phones are not able to fix the issue. I then resorted to calling the head quarter in Buffalo. Nothing. I do not understand how a success business can be run this way? I would not open an account with M&T because no one is empowered or trained to help you.

M&T Bank Company Information