Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.42/5

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: March 13, 2020

M&T helped me refinance when Bank of America was involved in fraudulent behavior. I became ill and needed to refinance. BOA continued to lose my paperwork and eventually sold my loan to M&T. I was as able to refinance upon my first submission of the paperwork.

Original review: March 1, 2020

Easy process. Always someone knowledgeable to talk to. When I wanted to draft my full payment in half they made it very easy. Overall easy to do mortgage business with them. I also had to do a loan modification with them and they made that super easy as well.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Large bank with a home town feel. Very personable, professional and friendly. They have made recommendations for me and my accounts that I have with them. They also do excellent follow-up on any questions you have about your accounts.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Well first of all, they never communicated with me at all on initial loan. I had to call them to find out how and when my invoices would come to me. When I called them they were rude and very cold. Also could not give me a straight answer. The loan it self is confusing. I have had numerous home, auto, boat, jet ski and travel trailer loans and I have never seen this one set up the way it is. There is no consistency at all on how the interest and principal is charged. Now this being my second travel trailer, my other creditor that was used, charged the same interest monthly and as the principal went down so did the interest slightly.

With these guys I have had the loan for 5 months now and the deductions are all over the board. Here is an example. First month interest on loan was $66, the next month was $96.78, next month $81.58, next month $68.89, and 5th month $90.54 for an average of $80.76 a month. Now explain this to me, the first month interest should had been $75.69, 2nd $75.31, and so on, slowly declining with payment towards principal going up. Anyone explain that one to me, I will never recommend this company to anyone, EVER. Looks like they are trying to get most of their interest up front, so to me that is worst than the mafia.

Original review: July 28, 2020

They screwed up and said payment was not there so we stopped payment on check and made another one. 1:36 am the check clears and they are now holding the extra payment hostage knowing I need meds and groceries. They are lying pieces of work. They now are going to make me wait another week to get funds because they are sending check by mail instead of putting it in my account. They know I need that for my medicine and groceries. Been a week without medication and now no groceries. I have never been late 9n payment in 5 yrs and they act like I am a thief. They are heartless, lying people.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I paid off my RV ($205,000) loan, and check was cashed three weeks ago. I still haven't received my title yet. Have called various numbers and customer service, always on wait for 15-30 minutes and can get no answers from anyone as to the status of my title. Very poor customer service. They sure jump on you though if your payment arrives a day late.

Original review: July 9, 2020

This is not a bank, it's a time machine that sends you back to the 19th century. You cannot do anything online, you cannot even PAY your credit card if you don't have a checking account with them, you have to mail a check, and this is 2020, "digital age", not for them apparently! Then, try to look up your statements online, again, no luck, you have to "request them" if they are 3 months, really, only 90 day record shown online, for others they have to fire up the printers and mail papers to you. Also, customer service folks are instructed to give absolutely nothing back, even after you request pandemic HELP, that they openly advertise, but if you ask about it, they tell you to go in DEFAULT and then, they will "see" what they can do to "help" you.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I went through the outside teller lane, as required, to deposit $3,000. Was provided a receipt for $2,100. Disputed this and was told throughout the day that all the records were correct and that there was no evidence of the “extra” $900. My husband and I were complaining while in the care waiting twenty minutes for a teller and firmly believe he heard us. We believe there is “no evidence” because the money never made it through to be counted and disappeared in a matter of three minutes after sending it through to the teller. Situation remains unresolved. Reaching out to the regional manager and also visited the local police. Will keep on this until it is resolved and will close my account immediately following. Be very, very careful! With Covid-19 you cannot be in front of the teller when your money is counted and you may be taken advantage of.

Original review: June 18, 2020

It is now the 18th of June, 2020 and the branch I frequent is still not permitting customers in the lobby! The drive-through lines are RIDICULOUS! And closing the branch at 3:00 on a Friday in recognition of Juneteenth—how is that going to change people’s beliefs and values? So weary of various institutions making decisions based on their beliefs and agendas impacting my life and my business. This is not good customer service to those who have been long time customers.

Original review: June 2, 2020

In the current environment I have to make an appointment to enter the branch, that's fine. I made an appointment for 1pm on a Friday. I arrived on time and there was already someone in the branch. I told security I had an appointment. An employee came to the door and spoke to me through the glass, which I couldn't hear. Since we were both wearing masks this seemed unnecessary and inconsiderate. Once she opened the door she explained that only one person at a time could be in the branch. I asked if I could sit on a chair in the waiting area, which was at least 10 ft away from any office or the teller line, and was told no. So instead, I waited past my appointment time, in the vestibule, less than 3 feet from customers who came in to use the ATM.

There was a minimum of 10 posted signs at the doors and throughout the branch to keep 6 ft away, yet I'm forced to stand in a vestibule to wait and be too close to other customers, rather than be comfortable, safe, and more than the necessary social distance away from others, inside in the waiting area. I mentioned this to the teller and she didn't even respond; also very rude. This happened at the University Plaza branch on Main St. Let's use some common sense with the social distancing rules. This experience was inconvenient and unnecessary.

M&T Bank Company Information