1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

302 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My mortgage was sold to M&T last year, I did not choose them and never would. I've had nothing but problems since. From rude employees who have literally no idea what they're doing, cannot answer basic questions on what fees I'm being charged, will never let me speak to a supervisor etc. They're telling me my mortgage is delinquent but WILL NOT LET ME PAY. You read that right. They've locked me out of my online account. They've locked me out of the phone pay. They won't take a by phone payment with a rep. I've paid in full TWICE NOW and they returned the funds to my checking account, the same checking account I've always used to pay, and locked me out of everything.

They say I cannot drive the 9 hours to the nearest branch to pay. They won't give me the correct information to send a bill pay from my bank. They made me have my bank fax TWO LETTERS stating I have an open account, again from the account I have always used to pay, and told me that NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION IS A SMALL FINANCIAL INSTITUTION AND WON'T ACCEPT PAYMENT DRAFTS. Reality check, they're a major bank and have far higher ratings and standards than M&T. Look it up. They keep making me call NFCU to "look out for the payment" nonstop runaround. My home was destroyed by Hurricane Florence, and every single person who I speak to has no idea. They ask why the home is vacant and not secured. BECAUSE IT NO LONGER EXISTS, HELLO.

Read. The. Notes. So they keep calling demanding payment and threatening foreclosure but won't take my money. I have every single cent. I take tons of screenshots to show where I've submitted the payments, where it was taken from my bank, returned, of the letters and emails, the fees, etc. I will report them to every single agency I can find. This company is trash. I've never missed a payment, EVER. Yet I can't get ANY actual help from ANYONE. TELL ME M&T, WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO PAY YOU? This is mortgage number 4 for me, and I have never had issues. Ever. I can't wait to get away from them. Please, do NOT use them.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

When I opened my checking account, I stated expressly that absolutely no USPS mail from the bank was to be directed to my residential address (which I had to provide as a condition of obtaining services). I explained that because I am in the process of escaping a domestic abuse situation that involves financial abuse (and this is commonplace in domestic abuse), any mail from the bank could fall in to the hands of my abuser, who, then realizing that I now have funds at M&T, would attempt to secure these somehow and/or commit physical harm against me for beginning the process of separation/escape.

After receiving assurances that all I need to do is "go paperless," I "went paperless," and expected to be safe in opening this new account. Within two weeks or so, not fewer than THREE separate mailings boldly labeled from M&T arrived at my residence for me, and on each occasion, my abuser opened the item before it reached me, and interrogated me regarding its meaning.

After the second arrived, I asked my banking representative to correct the situation, and while she did her best, that third item, which, ironically CONFIRMED that I had ordered a stop on mail to my residence, still arrived. The personal safety of its customers does not seem to matter to M&T bank -- at least not enough for it to give a damn about doing things right when it comes to privacy protections specifically requested by an endangered customer. I would suggest that women, in particular, avoid M&T, and find a bank that actually has a clue about the scourge of domestic abuse/violence that is destroying massive numbers of women's lives daily.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

This is the worst experience I have ever had with ANY company ever! Since the moment they purchased my mortgage loan in September I have had nothing but problems. It started with threats about not having homeowner's insurance and then not having flood insurance AND THEN it was not adequate coverage. I had to call weekly to correct these issues, as my insurance company sent proof of insurance several times. Additionally, I was provided several "analysis" and each was incorrect. Including one in which they sent me a $1390 check and stated I overpaid last year.

I called to ensure this was correct (2x) and was reassured that the only information missing was my flood insurance and that I should keep that specific amount to pay back into escrow. Later I noticed the flood insurance payment I had made (a week or so later) was refunded because M&T sent a check to them, even though I was told they were not doing this and that I needed to pay them myself. They also said they would make sure my flood insurance for next year was added back to escrow. (All of this during another phone call because I received ANOTHER letter stating I didn't have coverage).

After this was paid we decided to use the rest of the amount to pay off medical bills we accrued from the birth of our son in April, 2018. This was SUCH a relief until I received another analysis stating that we owed our escrow account $1771 and change and that our payment would now be nearly $1500 per month. Mind you it was $1189.00 before this and was 1296.00 before they did their first analysis. The company refused to acknowledge their mistakes or assist us in any way. They said I could pay it all back and our payment would remain the same...because we just have $1800 laying around for their screw up.

Furthermore, I paid back the flood insurance amount and added additional payment to reduce the amount we owed to escrow... And I was told this would make our payment lower. Well, guess what!! I received another analysis and the amount owed was $10 cheaper... They "didn't know my taxes went up." This is incorrect, as I told the last person I spoke with that I understood my taxes increased and I was happy to pay the additional for that. (They also made me increase insurance coverage by $83 previously).

When I called about this issue, the first women I spoke with had NO IDEA what she was talking about and I had to correct her. She was reading the entirely wrong information...(another call that I was told incorrect information). Eventually I ended up speaking with a "manager" who I had spoke with previously and he is going to extend the owed amount past 12 months so that our payment does not increase significantly... So basically doing NOTHING to fix their mistake. Mind you they told me to write a letter asking for this to be done and I refused and told them they need to handle it, that I would not be doing anything additional to fix their mess! The ONLY reason I remotely agreed to this is because I am going to refinance elsewhere, I have already left a message for my attorney, and I am also filing a complaint with the attorney general.

My fiance and I are hardworking, college educated, professional individuals... We are never looking for a handout and would never have owed escrow if it wasn't for M&T's continuous incompetence... It is unfortunate that this company does not care about the financial impact they have caused a young firefighter and his family. Shame on you M&T!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Also experiencing login problem described by other reviewer. Login went from clumsy and slow--use to take multiple attempts--to, lately, impossible. I can't log onto the site to see my account information, no matter what I do. Spent 10 minutes identifying myself and describing the error via the SUBMIT FEEDBACK link and when I hit submit I got an error message, so my choice is to call (they never solve online banking issues. Usually get transferred around and give up). I can use the mobile app, and that's it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Generated a loan through M&T Bank back in 2006 with 11.125% interested rate. For 12 years I've paid approximately 2,395.00 a month on a 120K loan with taxes and insurance included. As of December I still owe 108K on the principal. I wanted to get the interest earned for year 2016 and 2017. Each time the automated prompts would eventually hang up on me. Call the general 800-724-2440 number and after a long hold time I got someone whom didn't know what they were doing (Gloria). I'm going to refinance with a different bank. You are a very bad company. So difficult to work with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

This bank will not let you pay extra on your principal. When you pay extra money they will put that payment where you don’t have a payment the next month but if you don’t pay extra then your interest for next month is added each day you don’t pay extra money so when you do pay all your payment goes to interest. I’m 3 months ahead but they won’t automatically withdraw because they say you're ahead of payments. They also do not post your account notice until 12 or so days after it’s due. Bad bank. Someone other than me needs to make a complaint to the feds.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

The bank manager approved an account for me, then lied about approving it. He became hysterical and agitated on the phone, and is hardly fit to be a manager of the bank. Beware of doing business with this branch, because the manager is very incompetent and cannot be trusted.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have literally been trying to log on to my account with M&T for a week and I can't get on. They changed their log on process in the last few months, it went from easy to slow and laborious, and now it simply doesn't work. I will have no choice but to switch banks...it's just inexcusable in this day and age of easy online transactions.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have no choice, but to have my mortgage under M&T Bank. My mortgage was sold three times within the first year of having it. I'm now stuck doing business with M&T Bank. My problem with M&T Bank is they don't accept payments for your mortgage on the weekends. Why is it, any other bank or online bill collect. You can post your payment on the weekend, but not with M&T Bank. I have loans out for auto, new windows, and having a basement finished. All of those I can post a payment on a Saturday or Sunday even if the banks not processing the payment until Monday, but not with M&T Bank. You can only post your payment during Monday through Friday and it even has to be posted by 5:00 pm to be posted on the same day. This is just another reason why the banks makes the rules, get bailed out when they make bad business decisions and we have to take it if we want a house or buy anything.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I had no choice in dealing with M&T Bank, since my mortgage was sold to them at closing. In the first few years dealing with them, I had no issues. I went through a Chapter 13 bankruptcy which has been discharged for a year. I have made all my payments on time for the last 14 years, including during bankruptcy. In the past week, M&T Bank has called my home a minimum of 3 times a day, including Saturday. I called them 4 days ago to ask why they're constantly calling me. The rep told me "it's as a courtesy once you're within the grace period and haven't yet made your payment" (payment due on the 1st, grace until the 16th). So then how is this a grace period if you are now calling me multiple times a day, every day? All he could ask was if I was going to make my payment by the 16th.

I told him they will have their payment by the close of business on the 16th. He said "ok, I'll put in a "promise to pay" and the calls will stop". But guess what? The calls haven't stopped. My husband told a rep earlier today that he wanted to put her on a 3 way call with our lawyer, she said she doesn't wait around for that. When he asked her name & ID number, she hung up. This is now harassment. I am well within my grace period. I have NEVER been late on a payment. And, to top it all off, when they call, caller ID shows up as "AMENDTE Bank" with their 800 number, not "M&T bank" like in the past. I don't understand how they get away with the things they do. If I had the chance, I would get rid of them as my mortgage company. Thank goodness I never opened a bank account with them.

M&T Bank Company Information