3.31/5

336 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 17, 2019

Chase sold my mortgage to M&T Bank. This bank does not have any branches west of the Appalachian Mts. So if you live in 3/4 of the rest of the country, you can only bank online. Their online banking system is misleading and only has a sparse amount of information you would find on any other banks online banking. My main problem is I have been trying to pay my mortgage for 2 month now without any luck. I even opened a checking account to put the funds into for easier payments. This has not been the case, I have made several mortgage transactions online that I received a confirmation of the payment, only to find out that the payment was not made.

After the last phone call, they are holding my $2400.00 ‘hostage’ and their call in customer support is worthless! I am a prisoner of this bank at the moment, so I cannot just leave. But if you are looking to open any kind of account here, DON’T! I would recommend others to report M&T Bank to the federal reserve online. If they get enough complaints they may intervene. I have already submitted my complaint!

Original review: July 16, 2019

So previous we wrote on how back dealing with these people at M&T Bank especially the Parsippany NJ branch. From day 1 we began to get so suspicious of their actions that it didn't take us long that we demanded our bank accounts closed. They have a scam that will "blackmail you" into and is that you'll get hit with a fee if you close your account within 6 months of opening it. Never heard this from any bank around so that's one reason why you should steer clear of them. Did not give them any information regarding email addresses then all of the sudden about 5 weeks after opening my account, I start to see fake emails from M&T Bank saying my account was hacked and I was to click a link to validate my information.

Even though I knew immediately it was a scam email, the question that wants me to see M&T Bank is what they did with all the information we gave them when we opened a personal checking account that it took a matter of weeks to wind up on the dark web and how it took no time before scammers knew I had an account with these crooks. The whole experience was the same as trying to buy a used car from these people. Especially the person who opened it, will steer clear of these cons!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 15, 2019

So I first opened my bank account 4 months ago. Within the first week I was flagged for fraud. I purchased movie tickets then tried to use the vending machine to get Skittles. It declined it for fraud. About a week or 2 later declined again for fraud to pay my cell bill. After having conversation about how annoying this was she assured me it was for my protection so I calmed down a bit. Everything was fine for a month then we had a charge go through of 1800 dollars that was not ours. So you decline charges because they look suspicious but when a real charge comes through that is not mine you let it go through. Wtf. I’m switching back to my old bank. Clearly this bank can’t be trusted.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Unable to log in. They've been "experiencing difficulties" for at least a week. I assume this is something about my personal account because no bank on earth remains offline for an entire week, so this message is complete bs. I have banked with at least 20 banks in the last decade, and between the rate and the service, this one wins the plastic craptastic award hands down.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We recently obtained a loan for a travel trailer. No one would do a small loan, so we did a bigger one knowing would be paying a big amount. We have come to find out, you can not make a payment and have all go to principal as we do on our mortgage. Buyer beware!! If you want this option... Go to TD bank. We just put a 5000. payment on MT Bank extra... And charging interest. Will pay off with a TD bank loan - little more interest rate - but not really. Stay clear of this bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: July 7, 2019

I had Wells Fargo, they were great! This bank was sold my mortgage 4 or 5 months ago. Just made my mortgage and a little extra. M&T decided it would be a great idea to make another identical payment couple days later overdrafting my bank account! Best part of all they admitted this!! So their solution is for me to FAX proof my bank paid their extra payment. Fax!!! Who faxes today? Do they still make fax machines? I digress. Never mind overdraft bank charges! Oh, I'll have to wait 10 business days. This bank is so small and 1980's. Beware!

Original review: June 21, 2019

Wells Fargo why did you betray me by selling my mortgage to this sub rate company? Absolute nightmare. Where do I begin? They sent a letter saying my mortgage payment would be debited June 17th. Well of course it was deducted June 10th before date. In the meantime I advised them to postpone the payment, I would make it directly. None of this happened. They debited my account twice overdraft fees the hole nine. The last gentleman out of ten reps of course told me to fax in information from the bank. Well of course the bank has to mail a letter which takes 5-7 days. Trying to keep my mortgage in good standing and calling every other day is noise in my day. I hate this bank. Never had issue with Wells Fargo in almost a decade. I must get away from these idiots!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Today will mark the 4th month reaching out to this company. I finished paying off my car in Feb. 2019. I had my information changed a year prior due to a repossession and did not want to go through that mess again, if it were to occur again. They stated the info was never changed and the title was sent to the wrong address. So now I have to wait for a lien release so I can get my Title. Under the state of Florida the title will come out to 86.00. That is not something I have on hand. It's been four months and not even a lien release has been mailed. I would not recommend this company to anyone with the trouble I've had with them. I have no proof the car is mine now. I am due to move soon and I would like to have this resolved before then.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Racism! I'm not an M&T Member but receive a check issued by M&T each month. I'm having surgery a day from now. Decided to cash the M&T check instead of waiting 3 days for it to clear my bank so my family would have the resources. Sadly, the ** Bank Teller was very rude and nasty to me for no reason whatsoever. Questioning my bank of choice. She treated me unfair, disrespectful and very unkindly because I wasn't a member of the M&T team. She took my Driver License and then said, "Non members pay a $20 check cashing fee."

I said, "Not a problem." She returned and said, "I won't cash this check because it cannot be verified." I said, "How can a check issued by M&T's Main Office not have verification?" She treated me like a criminal in front of everyone and needlessly embarrassed me. Of course I left quite stunned and feeling violated for trying to cash a check issued by M&T itself. So, I had to go to my bank and deposit the check. I really needed that money today. Just cruel! Sad that a bank would hire a racist without proper customer relations training or skills. How could that be good for business? I'm shocked! I feel sad and upset.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Ever since my loan was sold to this company I have had nothing but headaches. I am now in the process of selling my home and have been trying for over a week to obtain a copy of my Payoff Statement for the closing, to no avail. They continue to say they are faxing it, that it will take 24 hours (????) and it never comes. The function on their website that is supposedly in place to allow you to request a payoff statement online has been disabled/dysfunctional for over two weeks. They do not respond to any online messages I have submitted. I am at my limit with this unprofessional, borderline fraudulent company. Avoid doing business with them at all costs.

M&T Bank Company Information