1.17/5

285 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

3 weeks and still no resolution... I went to the Leesburg Branch, after receiving a notice with late charges in the amount of $1494.74. Brought with me all my branch receipts, where as I brought in all my payments in and a copy of my note. My last payment is next month minus these late charges. As the receipts indicate I am not and have not been late. I just received a brief phone message from Luke ** saying he cannot help me. Very perplexed, prior to next steps, I am reaching out for assistance to correct this error.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I asked for $160 at the ATM. As yet again I received two $5 bills and three $50 bills. Since I could not use the $50 bills, I immediately went into the bank and asked for the bills to be changed to smaller ones. I presented my ATM card, the receipt for my transaction, and the $50 bills. I spent 7 minutes proving who I was (driver’s license), that I had an account at the bank (check from my checkbook), and digits from my social security number. All this to get smaller denominations that I could use to shop because the bank chose to fill their ATM with large bills.

I have been a customer at this bank (and others before it in the same location) for 30+ years. When I contacted M&T customer service to ask if this was their policy. I was told that, yes, it was and if I wanted smaller bills, I should go into the bank and write a check. I asked the purpose of their having an ATM and the customer service rep responded, "For your convenience." I am pulling my accounts totaling over $75,000 and going to another bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I had no say in this transfer of my mortgage. Never had a problem with the other entities that owned it before, but now it is an awful experience. They are so rude and arrogant about their own errors. They try and hose you, then penalize you on their errors. Corrupt to the core. I can't stand this company. Going to refi just to ditch these crooks.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My 84 year old had an equity line with M&T bank that has been at a zero balance since 2013. We are selling the property that he took the line of credit out against. I have POA and submitted forms, paid $42 closing fee, signed forms to close account all on Aug 7th, 2018 at a local branch. It is Sept 5th, 2018 and numerous phones to a supervisor named Shelly, in the Buffalo office ID# ** as well as branch supervisor Tanya, at the East Orange Nj branch to they can get a 'closed and settled' letter that our lawyer needs otherwise they will hold double the amount of line of credit in escrow! Cannot get a straight answer. Back and forth. Each blaming one another. Claiming paperwork was not received, and they are still waiting on approval to close the account!!! This has to be the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a bank. I will NEVER do business with M&T EVER again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I went to M&T Bank in Baltimore. I deposited $600. The machine malfunctioned and ate my card and money. I received a letter from bank this didn't happen. I'm so upset right now. They are an awful bank. This isn't my first incident with them, they credited wrong amount with check deposit, again ATM. They allowed 3 separate fraudulent withdrawals from my account. They have awful customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I had gone through the Mercedes Dealer who recommended M&T Bank. I financed through them but be prepared for excuses if your car is totaled. I am a Purple Heart Recipient who served in three wars. I have never had a bank make excuses and drag out to my pay off my car to get more money. My car was deemed totaled in June and I am still trying to get my car lien paid off. For the last 3 months M&T Bank has continually lied to me on the phone and nobody knows anything but I have a claim number. I have Gap Insurance which they received that paid off the car.

Talk with Bank today and was told it takes 6 weeks for the paperwork be to completed. That is so they can accrue interest and get more money. I was told to make full payments on my car that is totaled and the bank knew the checks were coming. M&T is the worst bank I ever encountered and by the grace of God I did not finance my new vehicle thru them. Terrible customer service and the management offered no support. Just hope your car is not totaled because that is when the bank steps in to hurt you, not help in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I have a client who I made a loan to and the loan was transferred to M&T Bank. He wants to sell the house and allow the loan to be assumed per HUD guidelines. M&T believes HUD requires a downpayment of 3 1/2%, which is incorrect. The representative stated this is M&T Bank and HUD requirements. Incorrect. HUD does not require a down payment on assumptions. Reporting this bank directly to HUD for review and complaint.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I paid off my loan in order to trade my boat in for a new boat. They would not issue me a letter saying the loan was paid off for 10 business days. They initially agreed to expedite it for me, but then another person said they don’t do that. After 10 days they agreed to fax it to me. When I never received the fax I called, spoke to a supervisor, “Dallas” who informed me they don’t do that. They will only mail it which will take another 7-10 business days. Every time I call I get a new story. They are the worst. I would never do business with them again in my life and neither should you!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

They bought my loan from CitiMortgage in January 2018. I have been kicked off of paying online because they are saying my account has been flagged as bankruptcy when I haven’t filed. Have called and they took the loan off my credit and when I try to make a payment they won’t accept it. Saying I have to make it with another department who always seem to not be in. They are saying now that if someone put my address down it flags it as bankruptcy even if it’s not me. I have never heard of any such thing. I have checked my credit and everything is good there but I can’t get anyone to take my payment. First time I have ever been late and I’m trying to pay but no one will take my payment. This is so ridiculous and it’s their fault and I’m paying the price for it. I am checking with other banks to refinance as soon as I can. It’s almost funny that I can’t get them to take my payment. I’m just worried because don’t know what they will do next.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Recently in May I was involved in a tragic car accident. I was told my insurance would cover most of my loan and to contact the bank in regards to the remaining balance. I called and was told by an M&T Representative the balance would be turned into a personal loan. My Insurance paid them immediately. I was worried about my credit and the representative had me make a payment for June and July assuring me everything would be fine.

Upon checking my credit I noticed it says 60 days late. I called the representative and was told I would have to dispute the incorrect information with the credit bureaus. The representative for M&T told me they had received another check from the dealership which had delayed the personal loan change. 90 percent of the loan has been paid in 4 payments and they still reported me as 60 days late. I have been lied to on multiple occasions. My credit has dropped significantly. I have been turned down for another car loan after M&T assured me my credit would not be impacted.

Upon talking to the representative I am told there is nothing they can do to resolve this except to contact the credit bureaus and challenge the false reports M&T made against me. My credit that I worked hard to keep in good standing is in ruin because of M&T. I'm paying an outrageous amount for rentals just so I can make it to work all because M&T did not follow through correctly. I hope this helps someone else from making the same mistake and they avoid dealing with a dishonest business like M&T Bank.

M&T Bank Company Information