3.8/5 (234 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About M&T Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: May 10, 2022

Awful, I have a car loan from M&T. I make my payments 2wks early like clockwork. Then out of the blue they reported 2 payments I made last year as late. This dropped my credit score 100 points. I have been unable to reach their customer service even though I have waited on hold for hours. M&T it's time for a management change, you can't blame your crappy service on Covid anymore. I will be looking for a new bank and an attorney.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I opened account in M and T Bank last Monday. I logged into my Web account on Friday of the same week. I was not able to login pass the security questions. Called customer service said I can place a ticket or go into the bank and Close account and then reopen. They could not tell me when I would have a resolution. End of story! I asked if we can expedite, answer was NO. Big inconvenience not a good bank, poor customer service. Secu is a much better Bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

M&T bank's new automated system is horrendous. Doesn't understand the word "transactions". When it finally dies, Doesn't give the most recent ones, gives them from a month ago. Finally talked to a person said there's many complaints! Then do something about it!!

Original review: March 18, 2022

Lost card, contacted support and had a replacement sent out. Received card and activated, problem is I cannot use the card because it seems my pin was reset also. Now I can't change the pin because the website, app, automated phone service won't allow me to sign in without my pin. A human has not been reached yet after days of trying to contact one. Not sure what really to do other than pull funds and close account.

Original review: March 17, 2022

I just open up M&T Bank on March the 5th which is on a Saturday and I just receive a check from Bank of America for 99,999 dollars and when I deposited at an ATM like this Monday when I tried taking out money the lady said I had no money in my account so I called the m&t bank customer service and I explain to them what happened so I told them that my account has been investigate because the check that I got from Bank of America which I don't used anymore. So I ask them how will my account will stay investigate and they said they don't know. So honestly I had to close down m&t bank because honestly they accuse me of depositing fake check which is not true so they ask me where did I got the check from and I told them I got it from bank of america bill pay online and the lady ask me who give you this check and I told her i got it for my self. So I'm planning on closing M&T bank account.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

When we were purchasing our camper we were pre-approved through our bank. We decided last minute to go with M&T because it was similar interest and easier - the dealer was familiar with M&T and the M&T person told us we could pay this off early with no penalties...this is a lie. I have mailed 2 checks in towards principal only. They will only extend your next due date. They will not put extra towards the principal only. I called and an agent told me he would help get that fixed... Several months later it is still not fixed (my due date is now August of 2023 for my next payment). I called again and got an honest agent. He told me the truth... They are an interest first bank. You can pay extra but it won't help...you will still pay full interest. Don't use this bank. Go through your own bank or a company that is honest. We were overly eager to go the easy route...big mistake. They are extremely and purposely misleading!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2021

Complete garbage company. M&T Loss Draft department received my insurance check at my cost to mail for endorsement then supposedly endorsed and mailed back with Zero tracking and it got lost in the mail. Now I have to get another check and do it all over again to fix the damage to my home. Such a cluster of inefficient ignorance.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

On December 18, 2021, I had made 2 calls, which had resulted in two extensive holds of 1 hour & 54 min. total, w/ being able to talk with anyone from online banking. I had given up twice. It appeared that I had received a text from M & T stating that my online account had been suspended, due to suspicious activity. I had needed to see if the text was legit, etc., but had been unable to get through to them within a reasonable time. They waste my time, I bank elsewhere where I can feel that my money is safe.! They were not there for me when I had really needed to speak with them. There is too much competition out there for them to be treating their customers like this! They will not be given another opportunity to demonstrate their wanton disregard for their customers' time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

Steer clear of M&T for your housing needs. Worst experience ever. Started our adventure of owning our forever home in June 2021. Our loan got changed not once or twice but 3 times. Lack of communication with loan officer. When we asked questions we were ignored or treated like we were annoying. Multiple copies of the same items had to be sent over and over again. When we were led to believe we were coming to a close something would always come up and then more waiting or more like avoiding. Well today is Dec 3 2021 6 months people!! And nothing. No house. No explanation. All they simply said was I didn't have enough assets when I had enough money for closing costs and mortgage. No explanation of what was needed. I wish I had a number to go by what in their eyes is enough money. Would not recommend for anything banking nor mortgage. This was truly the most horrific experience of my life.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Recently, I have received check for 4825. The bank placed it on hold stating it was fraudulent. Very odd. Now my account is blocked and I can not do anything about it. Today, I have received a text that I have -4572. If the check was bad I should have a zero balance. I just do not understand them. Also hold time sucks on the phone too as well. They blame everything now on covid19. I am going to close account and I will try calling them again later today.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

M&T Bank Company Information