M&T Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

They unfortunately bought my mortgage a few years ago and out of four they have been the only company that's problematic. They're impossible to get a hold of to make a mortgage payment to, even on their app half the time. It's nothing but problems with this company, I can't stand them. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs if you can.

M&T Bank in Rehoboth Beach, formerly Wilmington Trust provided title to mobile home when loan paid off, but it was unsigned. Owner did not know this was a problem until time of transfer. I am realtor representing the seller. M&T faxed copy of title not understanding that we need original in order to complete the transfer. Have tried for 3 days to get someone to call me back. Zero response. Unacceptable, unprofessional customer service. What does it say about a company when they won't even call you back.

M&T Bank is the worst place ever. I always come to this bank and the customer service is the worst ever. Each person waits at least 30 min to be seen, while there being more employees there. Instead of making customer service the number one priority and help the next customer, they leave one person at the teller and all they can say is sorry. One customer and you spend your whole lunch there. It has to get better.

Took almost 3 and a half weeks and 11 attempts to get a payoff statement. I explained in early Dec of 2016 they would not be receiving a pmt for Dec as it was to be included in the payoff of the mortgage. After finally getting payoff info after them dragging their feet Dec not went past 30 days, I was assured by several members of their staff this was not an issue since the Dec pmt was rolled in the payoff check. Only to find out after having my check for the entire balance of this note in their possession on Jan 13 2017, they turned my account delinquent on the 20 of Jan 2017 and destroyed my credit score after confronting them. I was told there's nothing they could do and conveniently all recorded conversations on this matter could not be found. Instead they have reported my account as delinquent for the entire balance of the note. Not for Dec 2016 note. The entire note of 86 thousand dollars as if it went into foreclosure.

I had never even had a late fee with my account that was my fault. Only when they had trouble with online pmts. My credit score went from 722 to very low 6s and high 5s. I am wanting to pursue this matter with legal action. Just not sure how to approach this issue. Extremely pissed off they have done this to me. Feels like a personal attack. My credit card interest rates have risen due to yearly reviews of my credit history. I'm being financially destroyed only trying to improve things with a local institution. I hate M&T Bank and I hope they get whats coming to them.

I just dealt with the nastiest/heartless bank in the world, M&T Bank. They could care less if my brother can't talk to them, because he is on a vent and chemically sedated. From the 24 of Feb to 24 of March the M&T Bank will close my unconscious brother's bank account if he hasn't contacted them by that time to update his personal information. They will write him a check on what is in his account and mail it to him! I say that is a good deal! Who would want to be associated with such a bank!

One lesson here in this heartless and non personal time is that everyone has to get a power of attorney for financial and or medical decisions in the case that someone can't talk. There are too many banks out there for me to deal with an M&T Bank ever again. I also called customer service 1-800-724-2440, gotten for Google search. It give you like 4-5 choices and none was for a complaint. I had to just hold. It repeated the same choices with an additional choice 6, it repeated the same 6. I pressed 6 again and got a nice lady that listened and stated she would alert her supervisor. Lol, I doubt it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

I went to the bank this morning to get a document notarized and was charged $6. The person should have informed me before notarizing my documents that there was a $6 charge for this service if I was not an account holder. She did not do that which I thought was unethical, unprofessional and sneaky. It these are the kind of people that this bank employs, they will certainly never get my business.

First off the bank charges fees that most other banks have done away with years ago, like a $3 to transfer money to another bank, and $10 a month to use a money management software like Quicken. Already a reason not to do business with them. Second, a company that I regularly do business with accidental took a large amount of M&T (which was listed as a secondary account) without alerting me. M&T is an account I made a long time ago and almost never use, and thus it did not have the required funds. M&T immediately charges a $40 overdraw fee without notifying me (while it is your responsibility to check, most banks this day and age will notify you of this), then 5 days later without notifying me charged me another $40.

Finally they send me a collections letter, which incorrectly claims I had already been notified. I call M&T and the first person I speak to (whom I confirm works for M&T not a debt agency) keeps trying to get me to set up a payment plan, ignoring the main reason I am calling. I finally get put on with someone who can help who says that unless the company reverses the charges, they cannot even consider waiving the fees. I call the company that charged me and they say (understandably) that because the bank accepted the charge, they are unable to reverse it unless it's a fraud incident. I call the bank telling them that I can settle the account today, and ask them to give me a one time courtesy waive as I am a long time customer who acted in good faith, and the incident was due to a bureaucratic mistake rather than a lack of funds.

They told me they wouldn't waive it as it was not a bank error. I told them I would then settle my account and immediately close it once the balance went to 0, and I was told that was my decision. I have settled my account and will be closing it within the next few days. I honestly should have done it years ago with all the headache M&T routinely gives me, I have about 6 accounts open with various banks and M&T is by far the worst. My advice, stay as far away as possible and do not open an account. Pick any other bank, if you're rural and have limited options pick M&T only as a last option.

This Bank gives you no wiggle room and doesn't care about you whatsoever. They'll do everything to get you to their bank but then nothing to keep you satisfied even if you are a good customer. I use their online mobile banking. It showed I had available and total balance in the positive. I forgot that I had made 2 bill payments that didn't come out for 3 days after, and I purchased fuel. All of a sudden all of these things came out at once. I was given three $40 insufficient funds fees for each charge. I'll admit that was my fault. I tried getting them to reimburse me for at least one just to be nice because I never, ever, ever go negative but nope.

The other problem lies with the saving overdraft protection fees. It took money from my savings for purchases I made while my account was still positive. It did this 2 times and when I mentioned this they just said it covered the purchases, I told them the purchases were made when it was positive. She just shook her head and said nothing. Didn't even care. I then asked "if I close my account how would that affect my direct deposit." She went on to explain how it would affect my direct deposit, and then said "but since you're closing your account I won't put a word with the manager." I said "I'm only closing my account if I can't get at least one of these and my savings account fees reimbursed since I never go negative. I think it's completely ridiculous to charge 40 bucks for three fees that came out at the same time." And she said "well if you're going to close it then I can't do that." Avoid this bank at all cost.

I went to the M&T branch on 4747 Transit Rd, Depew, NY 14043 to transfer money between accounts. There was no one in line for the three tellers. I walked to the counter and stood there. Not one of them made eye contact or acknowledged me. This was ignorant and rude. I went to the teller in the middle and could literally feel the disdain oozing from her. As I explained what I needed to do she was busy joking with her fellow teller about house parties. I provided my ID as requested and she returned it with a flip of the wrist. I worked in customer service all my life, and I have never seen such arrogant and disrespectful treatment of a customer. M&T human resources better start using better hiring criteria for its people other than empty headed party girls.

What do you do when your mortgage was sold and you were not informed. What do you do when you find out and the new company is not set up to take your mortgage payments? What do you do when you are in a horrible financial bind and the bank offers to help and save you some money? I saved $3.00 from that scam and I am currently behind. I attempted to catch up and I called to make a payment. After being berated by Customer Service for not making the payments, I was shouted at, demeaned and the payment was taken from a very old account not used in over 16 months... on purpose, I'm sure. I called twice to try and figure out why the payment didn't go through. Each time berated about being behind and confronted with... "Well! What are you going to do about it!!" I spoke to a manager who did not want to fix the payment. She wanted to know what my problem was and why I couldn't pay.

I HATE M&T BANK!!! They want you to fail. They scam you with a fake help program. This fake program gave hope and increased the overall amount of my loan without telling me. That should be illegal but I guess this is all a part of the new world order??!! Then they WON'T make your payments over the phone or give you access to make payments online. WTF!!! They will go down in history as the MOST unfriendly, unaccommodating, ** in history. I was told that I don't have to call them but... I do have to call them because they won't let me access my account online... I curse you all!!! I hope you burn in HELL.

I pay my mortgage payment religiously every month through my online banking. The payment is due by the 16th of the month or they charge a late fee. I have the payment sent on the 6th of every month. That gives the payment 10 days to reach them. This month I received my statement from them with a late fee assessed. I thought, no problem I'll just call them and ask them to refund it. They REFUSED to reverse the late fee. I told them I had a confirmation from my bank that the payment was sent from my bank on the 6th. They told me too bad. They only allow one reversal per the life of the loan and I already had one reversed in October of 2015 (for the same reason).

I asked to speak with a supervisor and he told me the same thing. REALLY??? Only one reversal for the lifetime of a 30 year loan and it was not even my fault??? They refused to even consider that they might be at fault for not processing the payment on time. They blamed the post office and my bank. Don't do business with these people!!! From reading the other reviews it is obvious they are rip-off artists and need to be investigated!!! Personally, I am going to shop for a refinance with another institution. I will NEVER do business with M&T again.

After failing to be able to make payment online I called Customer Service. Being transferred around after long holds on each round finally got to talk to supervisor only to be told I could only make my payment on PC not mobile device. The other girls didn't know that? The first two girls were very rude and I'm wondering if I was left on hold that long on purpose? My loan was transferred to them. I would never have picked them. Stay away from this business! ** for customer service and the music they play while on hold. I'd like to slap the smart mouth girls on the phone. Wonder if they REALLY record the calls? Doubt it.

Worst Bank Ever!!! When making deposits it says it will be available on a certain date then it's not, when you ask why it is not they give you some ** excuse that it posts to the account then day after the given date. WTF!!! Any bank I have ever had makes funds available immediately if under a certain amount, not here they don't make those funds available until 2-3 days later. When you tell them to cash a check and deposit as cash they won't do it stating some more ** excuses. When my father wanted to put money in my account for me they wouldn't let him! Any bank will let you deposit into an account but again not here. I have had nothing but bad experiences with this sorry excuse for a bank in the year that I've dealt with them. I will pulling all my money from this bank and opening a new account with a credit union. Do not go here!!! This bank should be shut down! Run!!!

I paid my last car loan payment and called M&T Bank customer service immediately to change my address and name so title will have correct information. They ensured me that name was changed and I was supposed to receive mail which I had to sign and send back with copy of marriage certificate. 10 days passed by and I never received mail with title that had my old name and address on it. I called them again and they said I have to deal with DMV directly to change my name on the title. As a customer, I did everything right, I was on the phone for over an hour, they told me my information was updated and they are sending mail. As a result, I have to pay fee to DMV to have my title changed. Manager was rude and entire customer service team didn't care to understand my situation, I would never use this bank and make sure everyone around me knows how bad they are.

As I have seen there are a lot of complaints about M&T Bank. I'm also complaining their phone wait period is too long. They get mad at the customer. Make up stories that make little sense. I know it not me because no other financial institution is doing that over the phone. I gave it a two stars because when they screwed up or gave me a hard time one guy put our payments back up to date for us.

Went to the bank with a personal check that someone gave me. They purchased a snowmobile from me. Went to cash it. They wouldn't let me cash it at the window so I went inside. They wanted 2% percent of the check to cash it there. Are you kidding me? This is one of the worst Banks I've ever dealt with.

We wanted to re-fi our home mortgage to save a few dollars. We always paid on time and even ahead of time. I started in mid-August, was told it would take 30 days to complete. Still no closure the week of Christmas. We had at least 3 closing dates only to be told everything was ready yet. I got a call that we would close Dec. 27, 2016. Two days before closing, I was told by M&T Bank I needed a check for over two thousand dollars for closing costs. I was told from day ONE that all costs would be added to our loan. So since I did not have the two thousand plus dollars they say I canceled the loan and therefore they keep my $275.00 fee to start the loan.

How can a bank like M&T stay in business with all the bad reviews I see. Do they even have one good review??? They advertise their loan interest is 2.7% but they told us 4.75%. They say they didn't know we had a manufactured home. We have a credit rating of 879 and they tried to shaft us. Do not deal with these people. They are bad news. M&T will take your money and run. No customer service at all. No return calls in timely manner. Run as fast as you can!

B of A sold my mortgage to M & T a few years ago. I always paid my payment before the due date until two months ago when I had a decrease in my income. I called and requested help through their Mortgage and Home Equity Repayment Assistance. They told me I had 90 days to complete the paperwork involved. They told me they would send me the application immediately as the 90 days began with that phone call.

After a week, I had not received the form. I called them back and they said they would send another application. This took another week. I completed all the paperwork with all the requested forms. They would call weekly requesting additional information they needed. All this was sent in a timely manner on my side. Last night I received a call saying they declined my request as I had not signed and dated one item they requested and I was now over the 90 days. They had that documentation for several weeks and knew it wasn't signed and dated, but never mentioned it during any of the weekly phone calls. They purposely waited out the 90 days to mention it so they could decline my request. They are vultures preying on those who really want to pay their bills, but are going through a rough time.

Do NOT deposit or invest your money here. Should the account holder die they REFUSE to release the money to the rightful beneficiary. They just keep asking for more paperwork, that even if you provide they just keep asking for more and NEVER release. By LAW after 3 years of no activity on an account by its owner they are bound to turn it over to the state and THEY DON'T - THEY KEEP THE MONEY. Dad has been dead since 2010. I am administrator of his estate and provide all certified original paperwork the County says they issue. HUDSON is committing FRAUD (or is incompetent) by holding funds for their own benefit (at a laughable .01%). The staff is jealous you are getting your dead parent's money and do everything they can to withhold it. If you die your money is THEIRS and your family will never see it. They also rip off old people with extremely low interest rates. Get a Vanguard. DO NO TAKE THEIR ADVICE it is SELF SERVING.

My mortgage was purchased by M&T, I did not enter into the relationship knowingly. M&T was crooked and unfair in their dealings with my mortgage. I have no doubt they can claim their actions were legal, but would reject any claim to a moral standard. They withheld funds while they simultaneously charged late fees. When I protested by phone, on several occasions, it was just a run around. They held funds and stood by fees, and then put the requirement on me to write a letter. Take your money, and put the work on you to get it back, that's the M&T I learned to despise. I suggest you DO NOT enter into a relationship with this bank!

I tried to deposit a small business check ($182) into my account and get immediate access. Despite the fact that I have direct deposit from my employer, they would not give me access to the money. BoA will and that's where I'm headed next. Oh, I took the check back home and photo deposited it to my Chase account, immediately available without the paper check!

I had an account with M and T for 5 years. I specified that I didn't want to have overdraft protection, and that I just wanted any charges that exceeded my funds to be rejected. The bank employee assured me they would be. I moved and tried closing my account, but they told me that I couldn't close my bank account over the telephone unless there was a $0.00 balance. So I waited until more funds had been taken from the account. Apparently, the bank DID allow charges that exceeded the funds to be debited to the account, because when I looked later, I had a negative balance. Again, the bank would not close the account because I had a negative balance not a $0.00 balance. So I had too much money and too little in the account, so either way M and T would not close the account.

On top of that, M and T does a third degree drill of me every time I call up the bank to check on a matter related to my checking account. They ask my social security number, where I lived, the bank I opened the account at. Do I remember the bank I opened the account at from 6 years ago? Every time, I end up having to dig through my purse for my debit card to tell them the number. They are highly paranoid. In addition, I tried to set up MINT financial budgeting software with my M and T account, and when the MINT budgeting software tried to connect with M and T, the M and T checking account was frozen. I had to call them up to resolve the problem several times. I had to stop using MINT with M and T.

Wanted to transfer funds or close out 2 accounts - I will start by saying that several employees happened to be kind and very helpful. One man BILL (won't mention his last name) was the rudest individual I have ever met. I spoke to this man three times and he was nasty each time. I should not have to jump through hoops to get MY money out of a bank I no longer feel comfortable doing business with all due to this one man BILL! He works in the Wyoming avenue branch in Kingston Pennsylvania. I am looking to make a formal complaint about him as I have been a customer over 15 years and plan on taking every penny out and opening an account with a new bank. I will not accept being treated that way. He is one unhappy, miserable individual and it shows! He should not be in any type of customer service if he is not capable of being polite!

Run, I mean seriously run from this corrupt company. I don't write reviews unless service is excellent or horrible. M&T is the worst I have ever dealt with. They leave Verizon and the DMV look like fairy godmothers. I am making this statement only to save the reader from entering a nightmare. I'm not going into a tangent, just the facts as briefly as possible. The first paragraph says all you need to make a decision if you are considering doing any sort of business with them.

I signed a contract with Hudson City Savings bank for my home loan and paid on time for 8 years, no problems. M&T takes, buys the loan, and HUGE problems begin but not until about 8 after transition. They decided to add, get this, $6,000 onto my escrow amt on the loan and on the 1st month after this fraud, my loan payment went from 2500 to 3800 for wind insurance that was never required before by them or Hudson city. They told me all of NY had to pay wind insurance. NOT TRUE. After an appeal and many, many frustrating phone calls without the promised follow-up, without them posting proper notes on my account of conversations (luckily they were recorded and when I requested they be listened to the rep changed her tune a bit but I was still in the same bad situation), at least I was not treated like a liar for the rest of that conversation.

Letters sent to them became lost. One department could not pull up notes from another department. I mean I could go on and on but my face is going red again just writing this. Turns out it was never a NY State mandate as they claimed. It was a requirement... of their bank. To change the terms of my original agreement should be illegal and I told them that. It's criminal. They didn't budge... just kept adding more to my monthly payments.

Unfortunately my business took a $ dip last year after health problems/surgery, so at the moment I do not look good enough on paper to get a loan with another bank. It's like I am shackle to them and at their mercy for now. Can't stop paying what they want or they will put me in default. I am a hardworking, honest person who has never missed a payment on my mortgage. This is not right. Oh and on doing research this week, turns out the CEO was convicted of criminal frauds charges for business conducted at M&T.

I'm so glad you took the time to read this if it helps you. I am not one to crumble and not fight back when there is an injustice but after months and countless hours (I logged in 78 hrs after the 1st month of this whole mess) I realized they are just one of those big corrupt businesses you can't fight unless you have a bucket full of money. Serious... you've got to stay away. I feel better that I might've helped you but I am in a bad way otherwise. Bottom line, I lost the appeal, have to get wind coverage according them unless I wanted to go into default and ruin my good credit.

M&T Mortgage is the worst possible mortgage company we've ever had to do business with. They appear to be either a dysfunctional company or just as bad, a company that doesn't care enough about their customers to coordinate their services among their own staff so one staff person knows what the other staff person knows. They admit they don't talk to one another. You can't get an actual phone number from them - staff people claim they don't have phone numbers, always referring you to their 800 line which you can't get through on, unless you have 6 or 8 hours to wait. I would not recommend M&T Mortgage to anyone under any circumstances!

My checking and savings accounts were recently frozen at M&T Bank because of a mix up with a creditor. After calling the creditor and getting that resolved, I went to the bank to make the payment and clear up the account, while the creditor faxed the necessary paperwork to the bank. When I spoke with the creditor they informed me they could hold twice the amount I owed; however when I went to the bank, my entire balances were frozen on both of my accounts, totaling over three times the amount the creditor had been authorized to deduct. I signed the required legal documents to remove the hold, which they faxed to the bank's legal department at 4:00 p.m. (Their legal department said they could do it if they received the fax by 4:30.) I was at the bank at 3:00 - it took an hour just to get this point. However, by 4:30 the accounts were still frozen and I was unable to get my money.

New York State law says they can freeze twice the amount the creditor is asking for, but the bank wouldn't let me withdraw the money over and above that amount either. Even worse, the branch manager, Saundra **, was extremely rude to me. She told me in a very rude, sarcastic voice, "You can call this number and complain to them!" (Referring, I think, to the bank's legal department she was calling.) I hadn't been complaining at all up to this point, I was being very patient with them. M&T also never notified me that there was a legal action (hold) going on with my account. If I had known the day it happened, I could have started this process three days sooner and not been out of money. I have to go back Monday and see if the hold has been lifted, but it still may not be removed.

Not only is M&T Bank breaking the law, they were very unhelpful, extremely rude to me the entire time I was there, and very unprofessional. The tellers were standing behind the counter talking loudly about how they just wanted to get out of there at 5:00 and go drink vodka! I'm definitely closing my accounts there and advising all of my family and friends to do the same.

Last year I went on short term disability but my claim for pay was denied. A couple days before returning to work they terminated me. Lost 3 months income and then 6 months reduced from unemployment. I had been searching for work for 7 months but nothing was in the area. Just as my benefits ran out, an old supervisor so my resume and I was hired but I had to commute over an hour away. I needed a job so I took it. We treaded water for the 9 months due to my small 401k disbursement. Then due to the rise in medical cost, economy and insurance coming due I got behind 2 payments.

I started the loss - m&t process only 1 payment behind in July 2016 and knew August could not be made but could start monthly payments in September. We received breach notices and made a payment with some extra funds toward the arrears for September. By this time I completed their online request for assistance and was never contacted. Called and got info at which time they gave my account number over the phone!! Along with contacting HUD who advised to pull the package offline. I filled it out Huds pack and in the meantime the banks came in so Extra docs that they had I pulled and signed.

I emailed opsmtgsupport@mtb.com but encrypted it to protect my info since it contained so much personal info. I followed up a couple times a week by phone leaving messages and emailing. I finally started getting vm from them to call. Due to my new work schedule and commute my hours matched their call center. I can not take personal calls and have privacy to discuss at work. I sent an email explaining this and to please leave details on vm or send email. NOTHING BUT THE SAME REPEATED VM.

So I faxed the docs and a few days later received a missing items letter. I emailed the requested items encrypted and started with the follow ups again SAME VM FROM THEM. I eventually sent in a complaint which was read and contradicts what I was told today. The response I got was rude, smug and gave no assistance. I was told 16 mos ago they mailed something regarding where to send complaints and they did not need to respond but would do so. (I was heavily medicated at the time and do not remember much of the time frame.)

Finally was told they can not accept encrypted emails and for privacy reasons they could not respond but by a call. I faced the items per the request on 10.1.16 and started following up the same way and advising of my hours and commute. I thought everything was sent and did not receive another missing items letter nor a completion letter. I have approximately 15 emails and all 20 calls documented. 10.7.16 we went to make a payment with additional funds and was blocked from making a payment.

I sent emails and called trying to get the block off. SAME DAMN VM RECEIVED. Today I had to appear at court in the county I live so I had a little time to call before attending. So I did, tried to explain situation - they did not care they do not have email. Incoming emails they scan and save to a file and nothing else. So things I explained would not get to my rep. I was advised I need to call as this is their only communication method! Explained the only reason able to get a call out was b/c of court. She said this is my responsibility and need to call. I asked if they would reimburse me for my time off to make a call where I have no privacy. It is my responsibility.

I was given a list and advised that since I did CURE the missing items letter no more get sent and need to call in. So if I can not make calls do to my schedule there is no way to know what needs fixed. Meanwhile I am 2 payments behind, late charges assessing and fees accumulating. One of my calls I asked for communication by mail so now they will not even do that. I got the documents they needed and hung up.

Called FHA National Servicing Center - explained the situation and was told I need to call the bank explained I did and no help. Call the bank or get a HUD counselor which I need to take off work for and do not have vacation time yet. I hung up as it was a waste of time. Called the branch to get the amount to bring current and want to make sure I could pay do to the block. He had to call me back. When he did he hooked me to the people I already spoke to and was informed the payment amount and that I needed to call in to make it as the... I hung up on her. So now I will not be reviewed, can't make a payment and can't make a call. I have spoke to several former employees and they all left b/c of the new M&T thought process and all stated they want to get bigger and build the base with money.

Now I have worked loss mitigation, bankruptcy and foreclosure for 15 years between 2 banks. I under a consent order from OCC and CFPB working with reviewers from CFPB on my side. Never have I seen a lack of customer service this great even from the big banks. I am the only person at the bank where I am currently work that speaks to customers on loss mit and interactions with BK and FC. I do not know everything but communicate by phone and email as people's schedules need to be accommodated to truly help. M&T MAY NOT WANT YOUR HOUSE BUT THEY WANT YOUR INTEREST LATE CHARGES AND FEES!!

I need to work as my insulin cost went from 50.00 to 650.00 when I lost my job and it sometimes comes down to being alive or having a roof over my head. I am working to try and get medical assistance but will need insulin. Prior to this getting done. They do not care and FHA was a waste of time. On another note with them when I got my mortgage I opened a checking acct where the minimum balance was 5.00. They now require me to have 5000.00. The only time that happened was when my one income tax was deposited and they took 14.00 a month for servicing it and balance under the limit. AVOID THEM!!

On 9/29 I deposited a check written off a credit union in another state. The funds were deducted from the payer's account the same day. I was told by the teller with whom I deposited my check that it would be 2 business days. I am now told that there is a 4 day hold because it was written off a credit union. Then (same conversation) told the money, which is MINE and was DEBITED IMMEDIATELY from the other account will be credited to my account on 10/6 - one full week after my in-person deposit of the check. This is 2016, folks. So, pray tell, all powerful owners and overlords of other peoples' money... When will you have accrued enough interest off MY money to go ahead and credit it to my account? Greedy bastards. The lot of you should be in jail. I imagine they are all the same, but I will be shopping around... This is highway robbery.

I was a customer for two years on a marine loan, always paid on time. When I sold the boat on 8/17/16 they advised me the title would be sent to me within 5-7 business days as long as I called and requested it once loan was paid. They confirmed loan was paid and I requested to mail title. Mind you my address had NOT changed in two years and they mailed me a BILL every month in this time.

NOW - since loan was paid and they mailed the title, something happened with their system and they mailed it to my address but their system changed the city. So the Post Office sent it back. Now we are headed two weeks in because I waited the 7 business days before I called and they told me to wait a few more days and then call again and so I did and then after 10 business days (going into 2nd week) they stated they did receive it back. So I asked that it be overnighted. I was told they would do so only if I paid for it with a FedEx account. I said "even though it was not my fault you mailed it wrong?" They advised it was not their fault either. So after speaking with a supervisor she still said NO. So I paid for it to be sent FedEx. Overnight.

Next day - I did NOT receive it. I called and was told that was a different department and they were closed (4:30 pm every day) to call back (no one ever offered to call me). So I called the next day to check into it and for a tracking number, they could not provide one she said. Therefore they did not send it. After requesting another supervisor to assist me this person advised he would call the dept that would send out the FedEx and request the tracking number and call me back by 11 am. So at 11:15 (phone in my pocket so I could answer right away) I get a Voice mail alert. They called through the app that puts straight to voice mail, stating that the titles would be sent out that day by 2 but still did not have a tracking number. When I called that evening at 4 pm they still could not provide me the tracking number. No matter who I asked or what I asked they always said NO and they could not reach the person in charge of sending out the FedEx.

So we are now going into the 3rd week after phone calls and runarounds. They provided a shipping number and told me they were sending the TITLE to the loan that was paid off 3 weeks prior. When I received the package the next day and opened it I could NOT believe it. There literally was a loan paid off paper and NO TITLES. I proceeded to call and raise Cain due to how unprofessional that I had to pay for a paper for a paid loan and still no title and demanded that I speak to someone that could actually help me. They never seem to care. Every one always just said NO. I requested that the titles be placed in the FedEx and sent to me overnight and would not get off the phone until I was told something positive.

Still I sat there and she just ran around every avenue of the word No, call back, she left a message for the person, blah blah. I finally realized something... I had paid off the loan 3 weeks prior, I had requested my titles. Then I paid (when I should not had to) for the FedEx and they still HELD the titles. So I advised her by them sending the FedEx and remaining to hold the titles that an attorney would find that as refusal to provide me what I paid for and that I would not continue to call and beg for what was due to me. And she just stated for me to do what I need to.

But then my phone rang and I answered and it was the CSR from M&T. She stated that she placed another call and the lady that was in charge of the FedEx happened to still be in the office. (Although the last 3 weeks I was told they left at 4:30) It was close to 5pm and she stated she had a tracking number for me. Then the next day I received my titles. Funny how things shifted when I mentioned the fact that they were HOLDING my titles to a PAID loan. The names of some of the CSR's were Liz, Harley (she at least called me back to provide the tracking number), Suzette, and Debbie from Documentation and Collateral (they were responsible on sending the titles) and sent the first time only a loan payoff paper.

The 2 FedEx charges to my account was $70. M&T charged me for both shipments. When I called and ask to be refunded for at least one charge guess what I was told... NO. That it was not their fault the zip code pulled another city (system problem not mine) I paid. Then when their employee deliberately sent a pay off paper and NOT the title after she was told the issue by at least 4 different CSR's - I had to pay the 2nd time as well. This CSR stated that they don't sent titles overnight but regular mail, I tried to explain to her the fact of the matter and she also could see all the notes in the computer from every phone call made. She still stated that they do not refund.

I tried to explain to her that the right thing / Customer Service to do was when I called the last time and had to ask for my titles AGAIN.... M&T should have NEVER charged MY FedEx account for their 2nd failure to send what I paid off. They are a poor excuse for a Bank and have the worst Customer Service I have ever encountered. I never received my titles until 9/8/16. I called FedEx and told them the situation and even though they didn't have a part in this fight, they credited my account one charge. WOW that a bank can't even do one customer service gesture for a loyal customer for 2 years.

This bank is horrible, illegal and fraudulent. They assess late fees and fines, and do not tell you you've been assessed. The fines do not appear on bank statements nor on-line. You have no idea you need to pay these fines until after they have doubled or tripled the fines and then reported you to an agency to recoup the money by force. Incredible!!! They claim they've made "several attempts" to get you to pay the fines, but in reality, they've kept it a very closely guarded secret. What a scam! I've been bait by this twice now, and I need help. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. How can we report this to higher authorities? Please help!

M&T Bank Company Profile