1.15/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 18, 2018

262 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 18, 2018

I accompanied my husband on a visit to an M&T Bank branch at 5642 Baltimore National Pike, Catonsville on 4/2/18 where he has a checking account to which he has direct deposits. We are an elderly couple. My husband has no checks for this account as he no longer has starter checks and has not recently used the account to write checks. He was told in a previous visit that he had to pay $10 for a check in order to avoid a cash withdrawal of the sizable sum he was seeking. In order to avoid withdrawing over $1000 in cash, we waited for nearly 30 minutes to seek assistance to accomplish this withdrawal. Instead of assistance, we were called by a hostile and rude bank officer.

When I attempted to add further information to my husband's explanation of the reason for the visit, I was told by the bank officer that I needed to "Calm down." and "I have exactly 14 minutes before I'll be leaving." She then launched into a diatribe about previous customers who had been difficult and that she was not about to let that happen again that day. As I had not raised my voice or in any way indicated that I needed to "calm down", I was rather taken aback by her response to me. I raised my concern about why husband had no checks and requested assistance in not having to make a cash withdrawal given the fact that the bank was very small and I was concerned that the transaction would be heard and viewed by others in the long line at the window.

Her response was to summarily ignore me and to state to my husband that he would have to get back in line and pay $10 for a check or $6.00 for a money order as she had nothing to do with making withdrawals, "Even if I wanted to" she added. I was appalled and shocked by her insensitive and combative approach to us. I wrote a letter voicing this to the Chairman and CEO of M&T Bank, Mr. Rene Jones dated 4/2/18 and I have not received as much as an acknowledgement of receipt of my letter. I have advised my husband to close this account. This was the worst customer service ever and I am led to question whether this is reflective of M&T Bank's attitude toward its senior citizen customers.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am writing this in hopes, that no other person ever has to deal with the lies and shady dealings of M&T Securities like I have suffered through. My grandparents had lots of stocks from M&T Securities. My grandmother passed away in September 2017, and left her estate to me. Including all of her stocks. I have been stuck with every bill imaginable, and although I did not want to liquidate the stocks, I had no choice. I began this process in October of 2017. I had my attorney contact M&T Securities to liquidate and cash out the stocks. First off, the initial contact between my attorney and M&T was a very long wait. My attorney called several times asking for a letter of instruction on proceeding the liquidation. That simple letter of instruction did not end up coming until November.

Long story short, it is now April 9th 2018 and I just talked once again to an agent from M&T Securities, apologizing and sympathizing with my situation I am currently in because of M&T. Their excuse was, "the back office is very backed up". I am filing the proper complaints to the proper companies about my horrible experience with M&T. I hope anyone out there never gives one dime to M&T. They lie, mislead you, play games, and make excuses when it comes to giving you your funds back. They sure do take your money quick though! My family and family friends are spreading the word about what is happening with me and this awful company in hopes no one else ever had to go through the hassles and stress that comes with dealing with this company.

A couple weeks ago, I was promised my funds absolutely no later than April 3rd. It is April 9th and now they are saying I need an accountant if I want to stuff up the funds, (They knew since October I wanted to liquidate the stocks) and more paperwork. A huge company like this, and the only excuse they have is "They are so busy"? They are never too busy to take your money though! I never write reviews but I feel anyone elderly or anyone who does not fully know everything about the stock market, may become a victim of M&T like I currently am.

My attorney said he has never dealt with a company this incompetent in his over 30 years experience. M&T should be paying my attorney fees for every single call he made in my behalf and all the unnecessary trips my lawyer & I had to take to the bank because we were instructed to do so by M&T. All that costs money! Lawyers are not cheap, and so far M&T has caused me more expenses than it's even worth! I hope justice prevails here and this company is exposed!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 8, 2018

Getting stuck with M&T was not my doing. My Mortgage was sold to them. I have damage from Maria and because my check is for more than $20,000 they have to control the disbursements. That's OK except they want to force me to use a Licensed Contractor. I however can pull my own permits and my husband who is a subcontractor will do the work. They want to fight me on this. They have been fighting me since February! Now we are into the rainy season in FL and I still don't have a new roof!!! I think it's time to get a lawyer... I can pull the permits and the city will do inspections!!

For God's sake, I want to invest in the house, not pay thousands to someone because they have a license. I lost $5,000 when I purchased the home because the type of mortgage was a 203k that covered repairs. Repairs completed under a licensed contractor had to be repaired by my subcontractor because they messed things up and didn't do them correctly... Unfair bullying practices!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

My mortgage was sold to M&T Bank and it's been nothing but a nightmare since. They harass their customers. They are incorrect with their information and they are bullies. I am going to refinance to get away from them. My recommendation would be to stay as far away from this institution as possible.

Original review: March 19, 2018

After my first year of owning a home our lender sold our mortgage off to M&T Bank which was not an issue at the time. Unfortunately, as of last year we had issues paying our mortgage due to being affected by Hurricane Harvey. Now here is where the issue began, after speaking to a representative over the phone we were informed that we must fill out an adjustment package and send in a hardship letter and prior months bank statement. Well, after completing the tasks (fax is the only way which cost me $40 each time) we haven’t heard back from them for a month, so like any right minded individual I called them and was assured they would look it over.

Lo and behold after doing this process of cat and mouse for 4 months they told me I’d have to resend the info because it is too old... (WTH). Now here is the kicker, I had to send this info in 4 times in total from October - March 2018. Each time they explained they “never received anything” even though my account number was on the top of each page and I have saved copies of the fax work. As of today I am being threatened with foreclosure if I do not bring my account back up to good standings... I would give them 0 stars if at all possible and trust me I’m moving lender as soon as possible to a company who knows what the hell they are doing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: March 10, 2018

Relocated from Ireland to USA and applied for secured loan to help build credit history. One week later the bank informed me in writing that foreigners do not qualify for loans from M&T Bank. I am stunned this blatant discrimination against foreigners who are investing in the US economy.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have had many personal accounts with M&T Bank over the past 7 or 8 years. Recently we opened a business account in M&T Bank thinking it would be convenient to have the same for personal and business. I was so wrong! I've had the account open 6 months and I've had nothing problems from the beginning. My complaint will be of the most recent... A cashier's check or a bank check was given to me from a customer so I can buy supplies and start remodeling his house on Saturday. I DEPOSITED the check at 12:43 pm on Friday... A bank check is basically already cash, that's why I had the customer get a bank check.

Well someone at that specific branch of M&T Bank (10 Milton Ave. Highland N.Y. 12528) decided they would put a hold on this bank check, which is already cash, for 2 full business days. So, I will not be able to get cash from this check I DEPOSITED until Wednesday because they don't count Friday because I DEPOSITED it after 12 noon, Sat and Sunday are not business days at M&T Bank!!!

So Monday and Tuesday the check will sit in the bank waiting. So I will have to wait a total of 5 days to get cash from a cashiers check (Bank check) that should have cleared as soon as I put it into the account. The customer service is horrible at any branch you go into. All branches seem to be on their own page. I call the customer service number to ask questions and they refer you to your branch or one close to you because they make their own rules. I am closing 5 accounts there as soon as this check clears because they are the worse bank I've ever dealt with. Don't use them ever if you can avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

M&T Bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They are at best rude and usually disrespectful and condescending. This company acquired my mortgage from another mortgage company, and the circus began. I had correspondence with the bank and was told I qualified for a loan modification. They sent the paperwork which was filled out and returned promptly. Then the phone calls started. My loan modification was denied for reasons of them not informing me of wrong information which is documented, I sent the correct information. It was an excuse every time, terrible service.

I've worked for a mortgage company many years ago and have never experienced anything like this before in my life. I was mislead, their customer service people are incompetent, their loan officers don't know what they are doing, what you are told via phone conversations and what actually happens are two different things. Our conversation was recorded and the manager of the workout dept. swore he didn't say what was recorded as our conversation which he gave me incorrect information to cause my workout to be denied. Just liars!!! This is unfair business practice to the highest level. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BANK. I need to find a bank to refinance so I can get away from M&T Bank

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My mother had a bank account and a living trust holding a safe-deposit box with M&T Bank. I flew across country (I live in Oakland, CA) to visit my mother when she was in the hospital, unable to leave; she was very insistent I should get into her safe deposit box. When I tried to get into the safe-deposit box, I was told I needed to get a power of attorney to do so -- despite the fact that the person present *knew* the box was held by the trust. When I got said document, I was told that I could not get into the box, as it was held by the trust, not my mother per se. Fine, I thought; we will see about changing the trust, and that will solve that. My mother passed away before the trust could be altered.

However: I was the successor trustee, explicitly listed as such on the trust documents. Therefore, I should now have access to the box, right? (which box might contain my mother's will.) Wrong; because *now* the fact that a certified death certificate was given to them, along with the certificate of trust was *irrelevant* -- they needed me to be her representative (executor, outside of Maryland) in order to follow the terms of the trust that they had previously used to deny me access to the safe deposit box.

Throughout, they have been dilatory and unhelpful (largely), and when I tried to communicate to the central bank, they insisted I needed to speak to the branch office, and transferred me back there. I would not recommend M&T Bank to anyone who wishes helpful service rather than obstructionism, and would *absolutely* not recommend anyone deal with them who expects any kind of prompt or caring service upon a family member's demise, or expects their heirs to be helped rather than hindered.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

M&T Bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They are at best rude but usually disrespectful and condescending. Their processes exhaust their customers by requiring unnecessary measures that any working person is unable to endure. Their website is painful to use and their phone service is agonizing. It would be in your best interest to find another loan service!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Found out to my surprise, some years later that my saving account was closed at M&T. The bank said I came to the bank and I signed for my account to be closed. Then on the same day, they said a deposit was made to my checking account for $207.81 and the bank said I did that also. There is no way I would have done that. It did look like my signature on the receipt, but I know I would not, closed my account then took an odd amount and put it in my checking account, then leave the bank with the rest. I would have taken the entire amount I closed with and left the bank. What should I do, when they have proof that I signed for it to be closed? I have already taken action on this matter and they said the same thing... "We see you signed for your savings account to be closed and that is your signature, so you closed it."

My over $1,000.00 was just sitting in my saving account for years. Then one day I know I came to the bank and took out $400 from the over $1,000.00 in my saving... that I know I did and that was ok. But then the bank said according to dates, I came back to the bank 5 months later and closed my account, then deposited some of that money (which the deposit slip was not written by me) into my checking account when I took the rest. What made it worst was when I talked to the bank manager, she became very disrespectful. At some point in the conversation, she said to me... "I don't know what you did with that money, but you closed your account." Then she said..."OH, COME ON YOU KNOW YOU TOOK WHAT MONEY!"

Another manager at that bank said to me... "Do you have a twin sister? Maybe if you go home and think about it, maybe you will remember what you did with the money." So as far as they could see, I did have $207.81 put into my checking account, so I should be Ok with that since they sent me a notice over a year ago saying that my account was closed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

This company acquired my mortgage from another mortgage company and the adventure began. After a death in the family, loss of job and another family member got ill I fell one month behind on my payment. I had correspondence with the bank and was told I qualified for a loan modification. They sent the paperwork which was filled out and returned promptly. Then the phone calls started. M&T Bank is also a collection company. My loan modification was denied for reasons that escape me. I have spent many hours providing this company with everything they requested. Beware is all I can say.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was mislead on what a loan motivation was by phone and was hassled by this mortgage after experiencing damaged from Hurricane Harvey. A representative from the company showed up at my home uninvited, many hassling phone calls and letters after arrangements were made with the company, rude customer service reps who acted as if they were doing you a favor by taking your call. After applying for the modification with all required documentation due to a 3 month deferment, the company required my check stubs pre-storm as if we received raises during the storm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Worst car loan experience I have ever had. To begin with, when I initially opened my account I never received any billing information concerning loan payments. I assumed that my payments would not start for 45 days like most banks. Nope, not this one. I didn't receive any billing information until my first payment was past due and then demanded a double payment. I attempted to assure them that I never received the initial information concerning account number, payment due date, or payment amount.

When I finally received my bill it was already past due. I tried to explain for over an hour to whomever would listened what happened. Customer service agents transferred me to several different departments with no resolution. After I was transferred to the department I needed, it was conveniently closed and I was forced to pay a double payment. This has been the worst banking experience ever. I will say I have a great interest rate on my car loan, but that's it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I have been through 4 different modems at Spectrum and every modem the IP address was blacklisted by M&T Bank meaning I cannot surf to their website. I can connect to any BANK except M&T Bank (Key Bank, Bank of America all good). What a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! It’s been over 2.5 weeks and when I call M&T Bank they say it’s Spectrum's IP being blocked and when I call Spectrum it is M&T Bank! Well the problem is at M&T Bank blocking IP addresses in order to gain access to the website. FYI it’s the Baracudda blacklist system! As a business owner this is **!! Also the M&T Bank App is terrible. I haven't been able to get this to work for months either. Support on the same is also poor! It’s a real shame. I have 11 accounts with them and when calling tech support you're only a NUMBER!!! And the same excuse!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Do yourself a favor and choose a different bank. They charge you for every little thing. I was 7 dollars negative in my account, so I deposited 10 dollars cash the next day, and they charge me a 38 dollar late fee... I will never pay this late fee. I wish they go bankrupt.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

M and T's online banking and app services are absolutely HORRENDOUS. As a business owner who was clearly foolish enough to open not 1, but 3 accounts with them. PLEASE spare yourself the trouble of having EVERYONE in the entire United States having access to your account EXCEPT YOU! Oh, and the hold times over the phone are endless.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My mortgage was sold to M&T Bank. Ever since, dealing with this bank has been a nightmare. Their customer service people are incompetent, their loan officers don't know what they are doing, what you are told via phone conversations and what actually happens are two different things, and they are always looking for a way to charge you more for them doing nothing but harassing their customers.

A couple of years ago, I fell behind 30 days on my mortgage. I was assigned someone that was going to help me get back on track and possibly lower my payments or put the delinquent payments at the end of my loan. Conversations went on for 18 months! I turned in my paperwork 7 times. Three times they couldn't find it so it had to be resent. Two times my loan specialist uploaded the wrong information and made my account show I was making $10,000 more than I was. I really liked this one because I got to argue with them several times per month on how much I actually did make. Showing pay stubs and payroll sheets apparently weren't good enough... because they "knew exactly what I made and verified with my employer's payroll person". That was comical. What was even more funny was the fact that they never called my employer to talk with payroll because I am the one that does payroll! They didn't know that at the time.

Then they tried to say that they spoke with someone there but couldn't give me a name. I went to the office and asked everyone there if they had spoken to someone from M&T Bank. Everyone said no one had called from there. The company I work for has a total of 6 employees including me so this wasn't a hard task... I ended up getting caught up on my own after being told they would help and not to catch my account up because they would help.

I ended up falling behind again about 6 months ago. I got the same runaround about the paperwork and that they would help. The newest thing is to keep charging my account $14 per month because they need to send someone to my house to make sure it is occupied even though I speak with them, get their certified mail, and deal with them calling me 5-7 times per day every day. If they can come up with a bogus charge, they will add it to your account! Beware of them. If you can stay away, DO IT!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was laid off last year and have been continually 30 days late with my mortgage payment. I have started to recover financially and then had to replace a 6k boiler system on the house. I have applied to M&T mortgage for a home modification and was denied based on credit! I knew that would be the outcome since the loss of employment. I asked the bank to add 2 payments to the back of the loan and they have refused but continually offer a deed in lieu of title. They have been of no help.

I understand that they cannot file for foreclosure until I exceed 90 days of no payments. Even though I am in constant contact with them, I come home to 3-4 messages daily to call them. I call them and we go through the same script, "Is the home occupied, why are you behind, when are you going to pay?" It has become harassing and I have decided not to return any calls and have blocked their number. Banks wonder why they have so many homes in this area sitting vacant for nonpayment, I am not the only one struggling. If you are looking for a mortgage, I would suggest looking at another company!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

This the worst bank ever, you can tell they do not care about anybody. They bought Hudson City Bank and kept 2 mortgages on credit report. Had to fight to remove one, then added $12500.00 to balance of my mortgage. They say they charge to pay mortgage off early. Now they want 2 months mortgage payments in escrow at all times. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BANK. They will stress you out every month with new fees. Now they reported I was late over 90 days on my mortgage for 10 months in a row. They killed my credit so I have to fight to change the last credit report.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

We have a Controller who is going to jail for stealing more than 1/2 a million dollars from us. We didn't realize the theft was taking place because M&T was refusing provide us with bank statement that were lost in Storm Sandy. We hired a lawyer to force the M&T to provide the records. When they finally sent the records the theft was clear. We saw checks where the payee, and amount on the checks did not match what was recorded in our accounting software. There were over a 120 checks altered. Most of these checks were deposited by the controller into her personal account using the bank's remote deposit application on her smartphone. These applications are not secure. They cannot tell if any of the information on the check has been altered, and the system can't tell if there has been white out used on the check.

These checks started out payable to a vendor. The controller altered the payee to read cash or petty cash. The bank response says the checks they viewed read petty cash or petty cash so that made the checks Bearer Paper, and thus did not require an endorsement. So the bank saw 120+ deposits from this women come through and never once kicked back any check for lack of endorsement or even called us to ask why we were issuing checks to cash or petty cash. We had some of our employees try this at other banks, and NONE OF THE BANKS would take the checks through the scanning application. We had them try in person at a teller and all were turned away because of lack of endorsement and visible alterations.

We went a step further in testing the deposit and withdrawal security at M&T. We had someone unauthorized to sign checks at our company, sign a full week's worth of payroll in two companies. The result was unbelievable. All the checks were presented in person to a teller, and every check was cleared without a single phone call to our office. The tellers did not notice the signature was of name not authorized as a signatory. There is no security at M&T. They want your deposits but do nothing to protect your funds from being fraudulently taken from you. Leave your money at M&T at your own risk!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I chose M&T Bank to open up a guardianship account. BIG MISTAKE!!! For six months, they have been unable to effectively process checks written from this account - even with specific court orders. I was finally forced to reach out to the Better Business Bureau, in order to literally force this company to do its job. I had to take 9 days off work to try and resolve issues and they will not reimburse me for the work I had to miss. I also had an appointment with the branch manager and he refused to meet me - and I had driven almost 4 hours to meet the manager. The BBB complaint # is **. Even with corporate M&T involved- they still can't do the job effectively. I caution anyone considering opening an account with M&T Bank to think twice.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Our loan was recently purchased by this bank from a reputable bank that we never had a problem with. In 20 years we have never missed a mortgage payment. Our home was demolished by hurricane Irma this past week. When we talked to FEMA they told us that mortgage companies will allow you to defer the next 3 mortgage payments until the end of the loan to give people a chance to get some of the repairs done and make the house inhabitable again. When I contacted this bank, they said they were aware of this policy, but they don't allow for it. They told me if we missed the next 3 mortgage payments we could apply for a loan modification. They would report us as 3 months delinquent on our credit reports and raise the rates and charge us closing costs. WTF??

Maybe we should just let them deal with the 5 feet of mud and debris that is left and walk away. By the time they could take possession after foreclosure the house would be engulfed in mold and sewage, well beyond repair. Maybe then they would realize that postponing 3 months payments would have been much more financially advantageous to them, not to mention it is just the right thing to do. Way to understand the needs of your customers during this federal disaster. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I'm pretty much satisfied with my bank until recently. I had to go get a new bank card and I applied for one. They told me 5-7 days so I'm waiting. No card. I have bills linked to my bank card so finally after 8 days I go to the bank and applied for another card. So now I have to wait another 5-7 days before I can get my bank card.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

My loan was purchased from M&T Bank (I made my first payment to them in June 2017). I have made several calls to them concerning my escrow and my taxes/insurance. It is hard to get anyone on the phone. Once they are on the phone one person tells you one thing and another person tells you another thing. I call. I get transferred from one department to another. You ask to speak with a supervisor. If you don't hold forever waiting on one they don't have one available so they have to transfer you then you get transferred to another department which isn't who you need to speak with and need to be transferred again. They won't give you a phone number to a supervisor or even an email address. They said, "I didn't know if I am allowed to. You for them to call you back and we don't make outgoing calls." Please sell my mortgage to someone else! I am over it - customer service sucks - I can't deal with all the petty stuff!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I use M&T Bank on RT 17 M in Middletown N.Y. and I find them to be great. It's a small bank and they take good care of my banking needs. And I have been with them 25 to 30 years now.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I have never dealt with a banking institution that is as ill-equipped and unreliable as M & T. After my mortgage loan was sold on my out of state rental property to M & T, M & T notified me 6 months later that the automatic payments which had been set up for over 6 years and in which I had never been as much as a day late paying, did not transfer. M & T notified me of this via a postcard a day after they sent me a certified letter noting foreclosure warning proceedings. Then I had to pay for their attorney costs to close the matter and my credit score tanked. I tried to explain that the property was managed by a realty company and that I had never even received a phone call from M & T regarding the matter and letters from M & T were sent to the out of state rental property and my previous address.

They refused to reverse the credit reporting and refused my offer to provide previous lender reporting that showed that the mortgage had never been paid late since origination of the loan several years prior. Their customer service rep told me that "I should manage my finances better." Fast forward 6 years later and I am selling the property and M & T sent me a bill for $1,200 for the same attorney/foreclosure warning proceedings that I paid in 2012. The property never went into foreclosure and this has been verified by my current primary residence lender and a previous lender too with the state of Georgia.

Yet, I have been following up with M & T for 6 weeks, made 7 phone calls and customer service keeps promising me they will fix the issue and call me back within 24-48 hours and no one calls me back. Now, I will again have to pay $1,200 to M & T for the sale to close this week while they say they are handling as a urgent request, although I have been told this three times already during the last 3 weeks and have never received a return phone call. I will never do any sort of business with this bank again.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Several attempts in dealing with customer service with most recent was to have a copy of my vehicle title (which they are holding) be sent to the DMV in order to register the car. Even in this day and age they will only assist me if I fax a letter with my request. Not to mention I spent almost an hour verifying my identity however according to policy that was not sufficient. I was passed along to several "supervisors" just to have the policy reiterated to me. Customer service is non-existent!

Original review: July 20, 2017

NOW (M&T BANK) since changing from Wilmington Trust to (M&T) the service has gone downhill tremendously. They just don't care about their customers. They have high fees for every little thing that you can think of. They have made several mistakes with my account and held up my money for days. HANDS DOWN WORST BANK EVER!!! STAY AWAY FROM M&T.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I have been very cautious on getting Auto Loans these days, and now I know why. I have an Auto Loan with M&T Bank. I received an auto loan through Nissan Dealer in Auburn, MA and they ended up getting this institution to receive my loan. I never received a welcome to our bank, instead I looked at my credit report and find out I have an account with them and the total balance I signed for increased by 200.00 dollars. I talked with a customer service rep and they told me it was my payoff, then this morning I looked and again it increased by 400.00 dollars. What is this bank doing, do they think consumers are stupid and don't realize that they are stealing money from their customers. If this does not stop I will refinance with a reputable bank.

M&T Bank Company Information