M&T Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I got a letter on May 8th that my escrow account was short (Today is June 5th). They took my normal payment and put it in suspense because it did not have the $100 dollars for the new escrow payment (Pmts sent automated from my bank). Got an intent to foreclose letter from these people ALREADY!! I've never been late in 4 years of payments, and yet they already start intent to foreclose proceedings. I was out of town for a few weeks and was going through my mail... when a knocked at the door and my mailman asking me to sign a letter from them telling me to get an attorney.

I called in to customer service and the lady talked to me so bad, I had to ask her, "I've been a paying customer and never late, however you're talking to me like I was a criminal. There's a lot of equity in my property so I assume THIS BANK is all too anxious to take it from me." I would like to talk to an attorney, however I managed to navigate the mean rep I got and had the late payment charges removed. Nothing impacted my credit... again never late and the normal payment came from my bank (auto pay) and I kind of feel disgusted by this bank.

THIS M&T BRANCH located 120 Shawan Rd, Hunt Valley, MD 21030 SUCKS **!!!! I'm going through a divorce. My M&T bank account was setup with my LEGAL maiden name (which ON MY SOCIAL SECURITY CARD!!!! I kept my maiden name adding my soon to be ex-husband's name). For the past 6 months I've gone to this location and withdrew monies from my checking accounts using my driver's license, bank card and b/c of all my legal names I provide my Social Security card. Today however all of my LEGAL documentations (I even gave them my damn birth certificate!) weren't good enough. The teller who lack common sense and a ** brain (blonde girl w/ glasses), said she couldn't use my SS card b/c it lack a picture! What state has pictures on SS cards??!! And I'm sorry but don't you all accept the SS card as a form of ID when opening accounts are concerned??? I surely used mine!!!!

To add to the chaos the ** for brains NEW manager ** added his two sense in and completely sent me over the top. To conclude, I went to another M&T I NEVER banked w/ and was serviced using my S card, bank card, and MD driver's license. This branch already set a bad tone with me due to the rude older teller that has a nasty disposition and now the manager who lacks leadership AND common sense. I only banked there b/c it is conveniently located close to my job. Moving forward, to be an ** I WILL return to this branch with my passport, old ID's, SS card, birth certificate, NEW driver's license with every god damn LEGAL name I have and request my monthly withdrawal.

I will not use euphemisms to write this review, I will tell as it is. M&T Bank is not only the worst bank I have ever dealt with, they are the worst group of people I have ever encounter in my life. Like many, my loan was transferred to them, and during 6 years I have been lied to, defrauded, almost foreclosed on for no reason (I was not late on payments), threatened, robbed, and treated like garbage. They added thousands to my principal, they hurt my credit, they forced an escrow account, charged endless fees (even to give me a pay off amount). I was told if I didn't sign a document they would "Increase my principal even more", while they were already preparing to foreclose.

I sold my house with a loss so I could get rid of this criminal organization. I had to endure M&T for 6 long painful years. They are defrauding the hard-working American middle class. I am writing a letter with full details to every consumer protection agency I can find. I encourage all those who have been harmed by M&T Bank in any way do the same.

Honestly, if I could give negative stars I would. This is not directly for this location but for M&T in general. If you use their mobile deposit in the first 30 days of your membership to deposit a check they will HOLD it completely for 5 days. They don't give you a certain amount and hold the rest like most banks. This is absolutely ridiculous as the check I put in was a payroll check. As soon as it clears, we are taking our money out and canceling the account (regardless of a fee). Thank you for screwing us and leaving us with no money for a week! Never again and we will definitely be telling everyone we know not to bank with you!

They unfortunately bought my mortgage a few years ago and out of four they have been the only company that's problematic. They're impossible to get a hold of to make a mortgage payment to, even on their app half the time. It's nothing but problems with this company, I can't stand them. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs if you can.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

M&T Bank in Rehoboth Beach, formerly Wilmington Trust provided title to mobile home when loan paid off, but it was unsigned. Owner did not know this was a problem until time of transfer. I am realtor representing the seller. M&T faxed copy of title not understanding that we need original in order to complete the transfer. Have tried for 3 days to get someone to call me back. Zero response. Unacceptable, unprofessional customer service. What does it say about a company when they won't even call you back.

M&T Bank is the worst place ever. I always come to this bank and the customer service is the worst ever. Each person waits at least 30 min to be seen, while there being more employees there. Instead of making customer service the number one priority and help the next customer, they leave one person at the teller and all they can say is sorry. One customer and you spend your whole lunch there. It has to get better.

Took almost 3 and a half weeks and 11 attempts to get a payoff statement. I explained in early Dec of 2016 they would not be receiving a pmt for Dec as it was to be included in the payoff of the mortgage. After finally getting payoff info after them dragging their feet Dec not went past 30 days, I was assured by several members of their staff this was not an issue since the Dec pmt was rolled in the payoff check. Only to find out after having my check for the entire balance of this note in their possession on Jan 13 2017, they turned my account delinquent on the 20 of Jan 2017 and destroyed my credit score after confronting them. I was told there's nothing they could do and conveniently all recorded conversations on this matter could not be found. Instead they have reported my account as delinquent for the entire balance of the note. Not for Dec 2016 note. The entire note of 86 thousand dollars as if it went into foreclosure.

I had never even had a late fee with my account that was my fault. Only when they had trouble with online pmts. My credit score went from 722 to very low 6s and high 5s. I am wanting to pursue this matter with legal action. Just not sure how to approach this issue. Extremely pissed off they have done this to me. Feels like a personal attack. My credit card interest rates have risen due to yearly reviews of my credit history. I'm being financially destroyed only trying to improve things with a local institution. I hate M&T Bank and I hope they get whats coming to them.

I just dealt with the nastiest/heartless bank in the world, M&T Bank. They could care less if my brother can't talk to them, because he is on a vent and chemically sedated. From the 24 of Feb to 24 of March the M&T Bank will close my unconscious brother's bank account if he hasn't contacted them by that time to update his personal information. They will write him a check on what is in his account and mail it to him! I say that is a good deal! Who would want to be associated with such a bank!

One lesson here in this heartless and non personal time is that everyone has to get a power of attorney for financial and or medical decisions in the case that someone can't talk. There are too many banks out there for me to deal with an M&T Bank ever again. I also called customer service 1-800-724-2440, gotten for Google search. It give you like 4-5 choices and none was for a complaint. I had to just hold. It repeated the same choices with an additional choice 6, it repeated the same 6. I pressed 6 again and got a nice lady that listened and stated she would alert her supervisor. Lol, I doubt it.

I went to the bank this morning to get a document notarized and was charged $6. The person should have informed me before notarizing my documents that there was a $6 charge for this service if I was not an account holder. She did not do that which I thought was unethical, unprofessional and sneaky. It these are the kind of people that this bank employs, they will certainly never get my business.

First off the bank charges fees that most other banks have done away with years ago, like a $3 to transfer money to another bank, and $10 a month to use a money management software like Quicken. Already a reason not to do business with them. Second, a company that I regularly do business with accidental took a large amount of M&T (which was listed as a secondary account) without alerting me. M&T is an account I made a long time ago and almost never use, and thus it did not have the required funds. M&T immediately charges a $40 overdraw fee without notifying me (while it is your responsibility to check, most banks this day and age will notify you of this), then 5 days later without notifying me charged me another $40.

Finally they send me a collections letter, which incorrectly claims I had already been notified. I call M&T and the first person I speak to (whom I confirm works for M&T not a debt agency) keeps trying to get me to set up a payment plan, ignoring the main reason I am calling. I finally get put on with someone who can help who says that unless the company reverses the charges, they cannot even consider waiving the fees. I call the company that charged me and they say (understandably) that because the bank accepted the charge, they are unable to reverse it unless it's a fraud incident. I call the bank telling them that I can settle the account today, and ask them to give me a one time courtesy waive as I am a long time customer who acted in good faith, and the incident was due to a bureaucratic mistake rather than a lack of funds.

They told me they wouldn't waive it as it was not a bank error. I told them I would then settle my account and immediately close it once the balance went to 0, and I was told that was my decision. I have settled my account and will be closing it within the next few days. I honestly should have done it years ago with all the headache M&T routinely gives me, I have about 6 accounts open with various banks and M&T is by far the worst. My advice, stay as far away as possible and do not open an account. Pick any other bank, if you're rural and have limited options pick M&T only as a last option.

This Bank gives you no wiggle room and doesn't care about you whatsoever. They'll do everything to get you to their bank but then nothing to keep you satisfied even if you are a good customer. I use their online mobile banking. It showed I had available and total balance in the positive. I forgot that I had made 2 bill payments that didn't come out for 3 days after, and I purchased fuel. All of a sudden all of these things came out at once. I was given three $40 insufficient funds fees for each charge. I'll admit that was my fault. I tried getting them to reimburse me for at least one just to be nice because I never, ever, ever go negative but nope.

The other problem lies with the saving overdraft protection fees. It took money from my savings for purchases I made while my account was still positive. It did this 2 times and when I mentioned this they just said it covered the purchases, I told them the purchases were made when it was positive. She just shook her head and said nothing. Didn't even care. I then asked "if I close my account how would that affect my direct deposit." She went on to explain how it would affect my direct deposit, and then said "but since you're closing your account I won't put a word with the manager." I said "I'm only closing my account if I can't get at least one of these and my savings account fees reimbursed since I never go negative. I think it's completely ridiculous to charge 40 bucks for three fees that came out at the same time." And she said "well if you're going to close it then I can't do that." Avoid this bank at all cost.

I went to the M&T branch on 4747 Transit Rd, Depew, NY 14043 to transfer money between accounts. There was no one in line for the three tellers. I walked to the counter and stood there. Not one of them made eye contact or acknowledged me. This was ignorant and rude. I went to the teller in the middle and could literally feel the disdain oozing from her. As I explained what I needed to do she was busy joking with her fellow teller about house parties. I provided my ID as requested and she returned it with a flip of the wrist. I worked in customer service all my life, and I have never seen such arrogant and disrespectful treatment of a customer. M&T human resources better start using better hiring criteria for its people other than empty headed party girls.

What do you do when your mortgage was sold and you were not informed. What do you do when you find out and the new company is not set up to take your mortgage payments? What do you do when you are in a horrible financial bind and the bank offers to help and save you some money? I saved $3.00 from that scam and I am currently behind. I attempted to catch up and I called to make a payment. After being berated by Customer Service for not making the payments, I was shouted at, demeaned and the payment was taken from a very old account not used in over 16 months... on purpose, I'm sure. I called twice to try and figure out why the payment didn't go through. Each time berated about being behind and confronted with... "Well! What are you going to do about it!!" I spoke to a manager who did not want to fix the payment. She wanted to know what my problem was and why I couldn't pay.

I HATE M&T BANK!!! They want you to fail. They scam you with a fake help program. This fake program gave hope and increased the overall amount of my loan without telling me. That should be illegal but I guess this is all a part of the new world order??!! Then they WON'T make your payments over the phone or give you access to make payments online. WTF!!! They will go down in history as the MOST unfriendly, unaccommodating, ** in history. I was told that I don't have to call them but... I do have to call them because they won't let me access my account online... I curse you all!!! I hope you burn in HELL.

I pay my mortgage payment religiously every month through my online banking. The payment is due by the 16th of the month or they charge a late fee. I have the payment sent on the 6th of every month. That gives the payment 10 days to reach them. This month I received my statement from them with a late fee assessed. I thought, no problem I'll just call them and ask them to refund it. They REFUSED to reverse the late fee. I told them I had a confirmation from my bank that the payment was sent from my bank on the 6th. They told me too bad. They only allow one reversal per the life of the loan and I already had one reversed in October of 2015 (for the same reason).

I asked to speak with a supervisor and he told me the same thing. REALLY??? Only one reversal for the lifetime of a 30 year loan and it was not even my fault??? They refused to even consider that they might be at fault for not processing the payment on time. They blamed the post office and my bank. Don't do business with these people!!! From reading the other reviews it is obvious they are rip-off artists and need to be investigated!!! Personally, I am going to shop for a refinance with another institution. I will NEVER do business with M&T again.

After failing to be able to make payment online I called Customer Service. Being transferred around after long holds on each round finally got to talk to supervisor only to be told I could only make my payment on PC not mobile device. The other girls didn't know that? The first two girls were very rude and I'm wondering if I was left on hold that long on purpose? My loan was transferred to them. I would never have picked them. Stay away from this business! ** for customer service and the music they play while on hold. I'd like to slap the smart mouth girls on the phone. Wonder if they REALLY record the calls? Doubt it.

Worst Bank Ever!!! When making deposits it says it will be available on a certain date then it's not, when you ask why it is not they give you some ** excuse that it posts to the account then day after the given date. WTF!!! Any bank I have ever had makes funds available immediately if under a certain amount, not here they don't make those funds available until 2-3 days later. When you tell them to cash a check and deposit as cash they won't do it stating some more ** excuses. When my father wanted to put money in my account for me they wouldn't let him! Any bank will let you deposit into an account but again not here. I have had nothing but bad experiences with this sorry excuse for a bank in the year that I've dealt with them. I will pulling all my money from this bank and opening a new account with a credit union. Do not go here!!! This bank should be shut down! Run!!!

I paid my last car loan payment and called M&T Bank customer service immediately to change my address and name so title will have correct information. They ensured me that name was changed and I was supposed to receive mail which I had to sign and send back with copy of marriage certificate. 10 days passed by and I never received mail with title that had my old name and address on it. I called them again and they said I have to deal with DMV directly to change my name on the title. As a customer, I did everything right, I was on the phone for over an hour, they told me my information was updated and they are sending mail. As a result, I have to pay fee to DMV to have my title changed. Manager was rude and entire customer service team didn't care to understand my situation, I would never use this bank and make sure everyone around me knows how bad they are.

As I have seen there are a lot of complaints about M&T Bank. I'm also complaining their phone wait period is too long. They get mad at the customer. Make up stories that make little sense. I know it not me because no other financial institution is doing that over the phone. I gave it a two stars because when they screwed up or gave me a hard time one guy put our payments back up to date for us.

Went to the bank with a personal check that someone gave me. They purchased a snowmobile from me. Went to cash it. They wouldn't let me cash it at the window so I went inside. They wanted 2% percent of the check to cash it there. Are you kidding me? This is one of the worst Banks I've ever dealt with.

We wanted to re-fi our home mortgage to save a few dollars. We always paid on time and even ahead of time. I started in mid-August, was told it would take 30 days to complete. Still no closure the week of Christmas. We had at least 3 closing dates only to be told everything was ready yet. I got a call that we would close Dec. 27, 2016. Two days before closing, I was told by M&T Bank I needed a check for over two thousand dollars for closing costs. I was told from day ONE that all costs would be added to our loan. So since I did not have the two thousand plus dollars they say I canceled the loan and therefore they keep my $275.00 fee to start the loan.

How can a bank like M&T stay in business with all the bad reviews I see. Do they even have one good review??? They advertise their loan interest is 2.7% but they told us 4.75%. They say they didn't know we had a manufactured home. We have a credit rating of 879 and they tried to shaft us. Do not deal with these people. They are bad news. M&T will take your money and run. No customer service at all. No return calls in timely manner. Run as fast as you can!

B of A sold my mortgage to M & T a few years ago. I always paid my payment before the due date until two months ago when I had a decrease in my income. I called and requested help through their Mortgage and Home Equity Repayment Assistance. They told me I had 90 days to complete the paperwork involved. They told me they would send me the application immediately as the 90 days began with that phone call.

After a week, I had not received the form. I called them back and they said they would send another application. This took another week. I completed all the paperwork with all the requested forms. They would call weekly requesting additional information they needed. All this was sent in a timely manner on my side. Last night I received a call saying they declined my request as I had not signed and dated one item they requested and I was now over the 90 days. They had that documentation for several weeks and knew it wasn't signed and dated, but never mentioned it during any of the weekly phone calls. They purposely waited out the 90 days to mention it so they could decline my request. They are vultures preying on those who really want to pay their bills, but are going through a rough time.

Do NOT deposit or invest your money here. Should the account holder die they REFUSE to release the money to the rightful beneficiary. They just keep asking for more paperwork, that even if you provide they just keep asking for more and NEVER release. By LAW after 3 years of no activity on an account by its owner they are bound to turn it over to the state and THEY DON'T - THEY KEEP THE MONEY. Dad has been dead since 2010. I am administrator of his estate and provide all certified original paperwork the County says they issue. HUDSON is committing FRAUD (or is incompetent) by holding funds for their own benefit (at a laughable .01%). The staff is jealous you are getting your dead parent's money and do everything they can to withhold it. If you die your money is THEIRS and your family will never see it. They also rip off old people with extremely low interest rates. Get a Vanguard. DO NO TAKE THEIR ADVICE it is SELF SERVING.

My mortgage was purchased by M&T, I did not enter into the relationship knowingly. M&T was crooked and unfair in their dealings with my mortgage. I have no doubt they can claim their actions were legal, but would reject any claim to a moral standard. They withheld funds while they simultaneously charged late fees. When I protested by phone, on several occasions, it was just a run around. They held funds and stood by fees, and then put the requirement on me to write a letter. Take your money, and put the work on you to get it back, that's the M&T I learned to despise. I suggest you DO NOT enter into a relationship with this bank!

I tried to deposit a small business check ($182) into my account and get immediate access. Despite the fact that I have direct deposit from my employer, they would not give me access to the money. BoA will and that's where I'm headed next. Oh, I took the check back home and photo deposited it to my Chase account, immediately available without the paper check!

I had an account with M and T for 5 years. I specified that I didn't want to have overdraft protection, and that I just wanted any charges that exceeded my funds to be rejected. The bank employee assured me they would be. I moved and tried closing my account, but they told me that I couldn't close my bank account over the telephone unless there was a $0.00 balance. So I waited until more funds had been taken from the account. Apparently, the bank DID allow charges that exceeded the funds to be debited to the account, because when I looked later, I had a negative balance. Again, the bank would not close the account because I had a negative balance not a $0.00 balance. So I had too much money and too little in the account, so either way M and T would not close the account.

On top of that, M and T does a third degree drill of me every time I call up the bank to check on a matter related to my checking account. They ask my social security number, where I lived, the bank I opened the account at. Do I remember the bank I opened the account at from 6 years ago? Every time, I end up having to dig through my purse for my debit card to tell them the number. They are highly paranoid. In addition, I tried to set up MINT financial budgeting software with my M and T account, and when the MINT budgeting software tried to connect with M and T, the M and T checking account was frozen. I had to call them up to resolve the problem several times. I had to stop using MINT with M and T.

Wanted to transfer funds or close out 2 accounts - I will start by saying that several employees happened to be kind and very helpful. One man BILL (won't mention his last name) was the rudest individual I have ever met. I spoke to this man three times and he was nasty each time. I should not have to jump through hoops to get MY money out of a bank I no longer feel comfortable doing business with all due to this one man BILL! He works in the Wyoming avenue branch in Kingston Pennsylvania. I am looking to make a formal complaint about him as I have been a customer over 15 years and plan on taking every penny out and opening an account with a new bank. I will not accept being treated that way. He is one unhappy, miserable individual and it shows! He should not be in any type of customer service if he is not capable of being polite!

Run, I mean seriously run from this corrupt company. I don't write reviews unless service is excellent or horrible. M&T is the worst I have ever dealt with. They leave Verizon and the DMV look like fairy godmothers. I am making this statement only to save the reader from entering a nightmare. I'm not going into a tangent, just the facts as briefly as possible. The first paragraph says all you need to make a decision if you are considering doing any sort of business with them.

I signed a contract with Hudson City Savings bank for my home loan and paid on time for 8 years, no problems. M&T takes, buys the loan, and HUGE problems begin but not until about 8 after transition. They decided to add, get this, $6,000 onto my escrow amt on the loan and on the 1st month after this fraud, my loan payment went from 2500 to 3800 for wind insurance that was never required before by them or Hudson city. They told me all of NY had to pay wind insurance. NOT TRUE. After an appeal and many, many frustrating phone calls without the promised follow-up, without them posting proper notes on my account of conversations (luckily they were recorded and when I requested they be listened to the rep changed her tune a bit but I was still in the same bad situation), at least I was not treated like a liar for the rest of that conversation.

Letters sent to them became lost. One department could not pull up notes from another department. I mean I could go on and on but my face is going red again just writing this. Turns out it was never a NY State mandate as they claimed. It was a requirement... of their bank. To change the terms of my original agreement should be illegal and I told them that. It's criminal. They didn't budge... just kept adding more to my monthly payments.

Unfortunately my business took a $ dip last year after health problems/surgery, so at the moment I do not look good enough on paper to get a loan with another bank. It's like I am shackle to them and at their mercy for now. Can't stop paying what they want or they will put me in default. I am a hardworking, honest person who has never missed a payment on my mortgage. This is not right. Oh and on doing research this week, turns out the CEO was convicted of criminal frauds charges for business conducted at M&T.

I'm so glad you took the time to read this if it helps you. I am not one to crumble and not fight back when there is an injustice but after months and countless hours (I logged in 78 hrs after the 1st month of this whole mess) I realized they are just one of those big corrupt businesses you can't fight unless you have a bucket full of money. Serious... you've got to stay away. I feel better that I might've helped you but I am in a bad way otherwise. Bottom line, I lost the appeal, have to get wind coverage according them unless I wanted to go into default and ruin my good credit.

M&T Mortgage is the worst possible mortgage company we've ever had to do business with. They appear to be either a dysfunctional company or just as bad, a company that doesn't care enough about their customers to coordinate their services among their own staff so one staff person knows what the other staff person knows. They admit they don't talk to one another. You can't get an actual phone number from them - staff people claim they don't have phone numbers, always referring you to their 800 line which you can't get through on, unless you have 6 or 8 hours to wait. I would not recommend M&T Mortgage to anyone under any circumstances!

My checking and savings accounts were recently frozen at M&T Bank because of a mix up with a creditor. After calling the creditor and getting that resolved, I went to the bank to make the payment and clear up the account, while the creditor faxed the necessary paperwork to the bank. When I spoke with the creditor they informed me they could hold twice the amount I owed; however when I went to the bank, my entire balances were frozen on both of my accounts, totaling over three times the amount the creditor had been authorized to deduct. I signed the required legal documents to remove the hold, which they faxed to the bank's legal department at 4:00 p.m. (Their legal department said they could do it if they received the fax by 4:30.) I was at the bank at 3:00 - it took an hour just to get this point. However, by 4:30 the accounts were still frozen and I was unable to get my money.

New York State law says they can freeze twice the amount the creditor is asking for, but the bank wouldn't let me withdraw the money over and above that amount either. Even worse, the branch manager, Saundra **, was extremely rude to me. She told me in a very rude, sarcastic voice, "You can call this number and complain to them!" (Referring, I think, to the bank's legal department she was calling.) I hadn't been complaining at all up to this point, I was being very patient with them. M&T also never notified me that there was a legal action (hold) going on with my account. If I had known the day it happened, I could have started this process three days sooner and not been out of money. I have to go back Monday and see if the hold has been lifted, but it still may not be removed.

Not only is M&T Bank breaking the law, they were very unhelpful, extremely rude to me the entire time I was there, and very unprofessional. The tellers were standing behind the counter talking loudly about how they just wanted to get out of there at 5:00 and go drink vodka! I'm definitely closing my accounts there and advising all of my family and friends to do the same.

M&T Bank Company Profile