1.28/5
Based on 40 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

272 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 20, 2018

My wife has a checking account with M&T Bank. I went to the Wynantskill branch today (6/19) and had no trouble getting copies of cancelled checks. At the Wolf Road branch, however, my request was refused. I showed my valid drivers license & identified myself as the husband of the owner of the account, who happens to be legally blind. She can sign checks, I make the rest out. Please explain! Letter of the law vs spirit of the law?

Original review: June 8, 2018

The first year of my mortgage I paid a different bank approx 1250$ a month. Exactly 1 year into the loan I was sold to M&T, the first month went over fine at the 1250, the next month I was bumped up to 1350, I figured it was just taxes increased for the year and I wasn't happy but bought their story. The next year, my escrow apparently had a shortage, I looked into it and found it was an error of the county and quickly rectified it, I even received a tax refund for it. I contacted M&T to correct this and they informed me that they will only provide an escrow analysis once a year in January after the county provides them with the new bill in December.

I contacted the county assessor and they bill in October, you know the government end of fiscal year, and also were willing to provide me certified statements of my correct tax bill. I was excited with this news and called M&T back to have it fixed... They gave me the same story, that they only review escrow in January. Now I asked to remove the escrow since obviously I seem more capable of handling my own taxes, I submitted the form hand signed and to the exact fax number and person they instructed me to, I even placed contact information in the case there was a problem, no one called so I figured it would be solved by the end of the month... Nope.

Another $1670 bill from M&T, I called and asked what's up, they informed me, a month later, that my request was denied. Of course I questioned this and after several holds and transfers they came back stating it's part of my contract and cannot be removed. Well I then researched my loan, no mandatory escrow for my loan at all, I even contacted the VA to verify this. I called again and was given the same 2 answers, "no we will not remove it and no we will not re-evaluate it."

Now I am seeking an attorney to help rectify the situation since apparently I am not the only sucker sold out to this criminal group. What steams me the most is they told me "don't worry. You'll get any overage back in May of next year". Don't worry? My mortgage payment is almost $500 more a month than the agreement I signed, I am going out in a limb here and saying if anyone in the general population is hit with $500 extra a month, that is going to cause serious damage or hardship. Where do these people get off at thinking they can hold onto approximately $5-6000 for a year (most likely earning interest) and it's ok because they'll return it in one years time. Am I crazy?

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Very good lender. Saved up almost 100 dollars by revising our escrow account. Also obtained offered a new loan to lower our interest rate under the recent VA refinance rules. They offered these benefits without being asked. They wanted to make sure under the same 30 yr. mortgage terms, we would go forward with the lowest interest rate possible. This saves us $60 a month with a closing fee of 300 dollars. No cash out, no variable interest, no equity borrowing, etc. Just a new fixed loan.

Original review: May 26, 2018

They have been helpful in some ways. I need to expand my account to set up to pay my bills to make sure everything is paid each month. Talk with someone about my account.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I am truly pissed off with M&T Bank. MY mortgage loan was sold to the bank several years ago. I was told that my mortgage note increased due to the change in my insurance coverage through Allstate. I checked with Allstate today to find out no such change occurred. It is apparent that the bank lied to me over the phone. I will be contacting them again tomorrow and don't again. You can look out for another class action suit against you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: May 2, 2018

M&T withdrew my whole paycheck, I spoke to 5 different people ranging from the local branch to customer service center. First I was told my employer gave me a bad check, NEVER WOULD THIS HAPPEN. Next I was told they had no idea what it was and since it was a mobile deposit, they couldn't look it up. I was told my paycheck I deposited "I tried to deposit twice", once again incorrect. I was then told it was something from Feb. I had deposited my paycheck using mobile deposit. While doing my deposit the app crashed, which happens a lot. I pulled up my statement and saw that even though I only did the deposit 1x it was showing 2x. I immediately called customer service and was told it would wash out, it happens frequently. Yes, it is my negligence that I didn't check my statements monthly.

I never noticed the extra money was in my acct due to the constant slow of overdraft charges I'm charged, some yes are my fault. Others no. I deposited my paycheck on April 27, withdrew a little money from the ATM and went about my weekend. I went to get money from the ATM Monday and couldn't. My whole paycheck had been debited from my acct. I had a 38.50 fee for the ATM withdrawal, for the other times I used the card over the weekend I also had 38.50 charges for each. My acct was debited Friday night the same day I made the deposit which overdraw my acct. Instead of my card being rejected my transactions were processed and I was charged the 38.50 fee for each one. I never ask for fees to be refunded from them.

I called to see if they'd refund my fees so I could close my acct. The rep said she could only refund 4. When I asked why I was told that's how it is. Needless to say I'm not happy. Yes I was at fault for not checking but how do you withdraw a WHOLE paycheck and charge 300 in fees on top of that? My acct will be closed and I'd NEVER have anything with M&T. Their charges for an overdraft are outrageous, customer service is non existent, attention to customer needs isn't there. If I wasn't living paycheck to paycheck and had tons of money I'd gotten all my fees returned. But because I'm on the other end of the spectrum my acct isn't worth their time.

Original review: April 28, 2018

I began two weeks ago to transfer funds from my money market account into my checking account. It has never happened. Told by the worst customer service ever that every next day my funds are going to post. Was told numerous times by Investment Customer Service that the funds would post. Now I have absolutely no funds. Getting evicted, can't pay car loan. Can't get medications. Forced to open an investigative case with the Federal Comptroller of Banks and Currency. STAY CLEAR OF THIS BANK!! Next step I have to get a lawyer with no funds!! Hopefully this bank will eventually dissolve or go Bankrupt. They have ruined me. Sleepless on Long Island.

Original review: April 27, 2018

We only have our mortgage through M&T, as we have cut ties with the big banks. I was sent an email reminder 3 days before my mortgage payment was due. I have set up payments through my credit union & have paid my mortgage on time since 2012. I logged into my account to opt out & received the message I was not set up for emails! I contacted the number on the email & the rude rep told me to look for an alert option. There is NO alert option on mortgage accounts. I called again & was transferred to the mortgage department & after being on hold for 10 minutes & without speaking to anyone, I hung up. I'm SICK of the big banks & the terrible customer service.

Original review: April 25, 2018

M&T Bank only likes to help people who have money. If you're lower income or disabled they do not want anything to do with helping you although they portray in their commercials they're so helpful. They love giving out overdraft charges and when I asked to please remove at least one... I was told no and they could and would not give me any answer. Just no. I was going through a refinance... and I needed information from them. I dropped off the papers and when I called the refinance company a week later... they never received the paperwork. I went back to the bank and to my amazement it was still sitting there.

They never did nothing with it. Once I pulled up the the drive thru the worker told me she be with me in a few moments. Well in the meantime a car pull up in the next drive thru. Five min later I'm still waiting. When she gets back she takes the other car first. Are you serious. No sorry no nothing. Just plain rude. Stay away from M&T BANK.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I had such a bad experience with this bank from day 1 that I forced myself to pay off my boat loan early just so I would not have to deal with them. Once the loan was paid off early I asked for a letter of loan satisfaction. The customer service rep acted like I was inconveniencing her. 3 years later I go to sell my boat and can't because all they referenced in the letter was the loan #, not the boat info. Once again I need to request a letter of loan satisfaction with the boat info and once again the customer service rep acts like I am inconveniencing her. From the first day I got this loan I knew it would be a headache. No one tries to help, they are very sloppy with their paperwork. Having a bank loan should not be this much work! How does this bank stay in business!!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

I accompanied my husband on a visit to an M&T Bank branch at 5642 Baltimore National Pike, Catonsville on 4/2/18 where he has a checking account to which he has direct deposits. We are an elderly couple. My husband has no checks for this account as he no longer has starter checks and has not recently used the account to write checks. He was told in a previous visit that he had to pay $10 for a check in order to avoid a cash withdrawal of the sizable sum he was seeking. In order to avoid withdrawing over $1000 in cash, we waited for nearly 30 minutes to seek assistance to accomplish this withdrawal. Instead of assistance, we were called by a hostile and rude bank officer.

When I attempted to add further information to my husband's explanation of the reason for the visit, I was told by the bank officer that I needed to "Calm down." and "I have exactly 14 minutes before I'll be leaving." She then launched into a diatribe about previous customers who had been difficult and that she was not about to let that happen again that day. As I had not raised my voice or in any way indicated that I needed to "calm down", I was rather taken aback by her response to me. I raised my concern about why husband had no checks and requested assistance in not having to make a cash withdrawal given the fact that the bank was very small and I was concerned that the transaction would be heard and viewed by others in the long line at the window.

Her response was to summarily ignore me and to state to my husband that he would have to get back in line and pay $10 for a check or $6.00 for a money order as she had nothing to do with making withdrawals, "Even if I wanted to" she added. I was appalled and shocked by her insensitive and combative approach to us. I wrote a letter voicing this to the Chairman and CEO of M&T Bank, Mr. Rene Jones dated 4/2/18 and I have not received as much as an acknowledgement of receipt of my letter. I have advised my husband to close this account. This was the worst customer service ever and I am led to question whether this is reflective of M&T Bank's attitude toward its senior citizen customers.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am writing this in hopes, that no other person ever has to deal with the lies and shady dealings of M&T Securities like I have suffered through. My grandparents had lots of stocks from M&T Securities. My grandmother passed away in September 2017, and left her estate to me. Including all of her stocks. I have been stuck with every bill imaginable, and although I did not want to liquidate the stocks, I had no choice. I began this process in October of 2017. I had my attorney contact M&T Securities to liquidate and cash out the stocks. First off, the initial contact between my attorney and M&T was a very long wait. My attorney called several times asking for a letter of instruction on proceeding the liquidation. That simple letter of instruction did not end up coming until November.

Long story short, it is now April 9th 2018 and I just talked once again to an agent from M&T Securities, apologizing and sympathizing with my situation I am currently in because of M&T. Their excuse was, "the back office is very backed up". I am filing the proper complaints to the proper companies about my horrible experience with M&T. I hope anyone out there never gives one dime to M&T. They lie, mislead you, play games, and make excuses when it comes to giving you your funds back. They sure do take your money quick though! My family and family friends are spreading the word about what is happening with me and this awful company in hopes no one else ever had to go through the hassles and stress that comes with dealing with this company.

A couple weeks ago, I was promised my funds absolutely no later than April 3rd. It is April 9th and now they are saying I need an accountant if I want to stuff up the funds, (They knew since October I wanted to liquidate the stocks) and more paperwork. A huge company like this, and the only excuse they have is "They are so busy"? They are never too busy to take your money though! I never write reviews but I feel anyone elderly or anyone who does not fully know everything about the stock market, may become a victim of M&T like I currently am.

My attorney said he has never dealt with a company this incompetent in his over 30 years experience. M&T should be paying my attorney fees for every single call he made in my behalf and all the unnecessary trips my lawyer & I had to take to the bank because we were instructed to do so by M&T. All that costs money! Lawyers are not cheap, and so far M&T has caused me more expenses than it's even worth! I hope justice prevails here and this company is exposed!

Original review: April 8, 2018

Getting stuck with M&T was not my doing. My Mortgage was sold to them. I have damage from Maria and because my check is for more than $20,000 they have to control the disbursements. That's OK except they want to force me to use a Licensed Contractor. I however can pull my own permits and my husband who is a subcontractor will do the work. They want to fight me on this. They have been fighting me since February! Now we are into the rainy season in FL and I still don't have a new roof!!! I think it's time to get a lawyer... I can pull the permits and the city will do inspections!!

For God's sake, I want to invest in the house, not pay thousands to someone because they have a license. I lost $5,000 when I purchased the home because the type of mortgage was a 203k that covered repairs. Repairs completed under a licensed contractor had to be repaired by my subcontractor because they messed things up and didn't do them correctly... Unfair bullying practices!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

My mortgage was sold to M&T Bank and it's been nothing but a nightmare since. They harass their customers. They are incorrect with their information and they are bullies. I am going to refinance to get away from them. My recommendation would be to stay as far away from this institution as possible.

Original review: March 19, 2018

After my first year of owning a home our lender sold our mortgage off to M&T Bank which was not an issue at the time. Unfortunately, as of last year we had issues paying our mortgage due to being affected by Hurricane Harvey. Now here is where the issue began, after speaking to a representative over the phone we were informed that we must fill out an adjustment package and send in a hardship letter and prior months bank statement. Well, after completing the tasks (fax is the only way which cost me $40 each time) we haven’t heard back from them for a month, so like any right minded individual I called them and was assured they would look it over.

Lo and behold after doing this process of cat and mouse for 4 months they told me I’d have to resend the info because it is too old... (WTH). Now here is the kicker, I had to send this info in 4 times in total from October - March 2018. Each time they explained they “never received anything” even though my account number was on the top of each page and I have saved copies of the fax work. As of today I am being threatened with foreclosure if I do not bring my account back up to good standings... I would give them 0 stars if at all possible and trust me I’m moving lender as soon as possible to a company who knows what the hell they are doing!

Original review: March 10, 2018

Relocated from Ireland to USA and applied for secured loan to help build credit history. One week later the bank informed me in writing that foreigners do not qualify for loans from M&T Bank. I am stunned this blatant discrimination against foreigners who are investing in the US economy.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have had many personal accounts with M&T Bank over the past 7 or 8 years. Recently we opened a business account in M&T Bank thinking it would be convenient to have the same for personal and business. I was so wrong! I've had the account open 6 months and I've had nothing problems from the beginning. My complaint will be of the most recent... A cashier's check or a bank check was given to me from a customer so I can buy supplies and start remodeling his house on Saturday. I DEPOSITED the check at 12:43 pm on Friday... A bank check is basically already cash, that's why I had the customer get a bank check.

Well someone at that specific branch of M&T Bank (10 Milton Ave. Highland N.Y. 12528) decided they would put a hold on this bank check, which is already cash, for 2 full business days. So, I will not be able to get cash from this check I DEPOSITED until Wednesday because they don't count Friday because I DEPOSITED it after 12 noon, Sat and Sunday are not business days at M&T Bank!!!

So Monday and Tuesday the check will sit in the bank waiting. So I will have to wait a total of 5 days to get cash from a cashiers check (Bank check) that should have cleared as soon as I put it into the account. The customer service is horrible at any branch you go into. All branches seem to be on their own page. I call the customer service number to ask questions and they refer you to your branch or one close to you because they make their own rules. I am closing 5 accounts there as soon as this check clears because they are the worse bank I've ever dealt with. Don't use them ever if you can avoid them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

M&T Bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They are at best rude and usually disrespectful and condescending. This company acquired my mortgage from another mortgage company, and the circus began. I had correspondence with the bank and was told I qualified for a loan modification. They sent the paperwork which was filled out and returned promptly. Then the phone calls started. My loan modification was denied for reasons of them not informing me of wrong information which is documented, I sent the correct information. It was an excuse every time, terrible service.

I've worked for a mortgage company many years ago and have never experienced anything like this before in my life. I was mislead, their customer service people are incompetent, their loan officers don't know what they are doing, what you are told via phone conversations and what actually happens are two different things. Our conversation was recorded and the manager of the workout dept. swore he didn't say what was recorded as our conversation which he gave me incorrect information to cause my workout to be denied. Just liars!!! This is unfair business practice to the highest level. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BANK. I need to find a bank to refinance so I can get away from M&T Bank

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My mother had a bank account and a living trust holding a safe-deposit box with M&T Bank. I flew across country (I live in Oakland, CA) to visit my mother when she was in the hospital, unable to leave; she was very insistent I should get into her safe deposit box. When I tried to get into the safe-deposit box, I was told I needed to get a power of attorney to do so -- despite the fact that the person present *knew* the box was held by the trust. When I got said document, I was told that I could not get into the box, as it was held by the trust, not my mother per se. Fine, I thought; we will see about changing the trust, and that will solve that. My mother passed away before the trust could be altered.

However: I was the successor trustee, explicitly listed as such on the trust documents. Therefore, I should now have access to the box, right? (which box might contain my mother's will.) Wrong; because *now* the fact that a certified death certificate was given to them, along with the certificate of trust was *irrelevant* -- they needed me to be her representative (executor, outside of Maryland) in order to follow the terms of the trust that they had previously used to deny me access to the safe deposit box.

Throughout, they have been dilatory and unhelpful (largely), and when I tried to communicate to the central bank, they insisted I needed to speak to the branch office, and transferred me back there. I would not recommend M&T Bank to anyone who wishes helpful service rather than obstructionism, and would *absolutely* not recommend anyone deal with them who expects any kind of prompt or caring service upon a family member's demise, or expects their heirs to be helped rather than hindered.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

M&T Bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. They are at best rude but usually disrespectful and condescending. Their processes exhaust their customers by requiring unnecessary measures that any working person is unable to endure. Their website is painful to use and their phone service is agonizing. It would be in your best interest to find another loan service!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Found out to my surprise, some years later that my saving account was closed at M&T. The bank said I came to the bank and I signed for my account to be closed. Then on the same day, they said a deposit was made to my checking account for $207.81 and the bank said I did that also. There is no way I would have done that. It did look like my signature on the receipt, but I know I would not, closed my account then took an odd amount and put it in my checking account, then leave the bank with the rest. I would have taken the entire amount I closed with and left the bank. What should I do, when they have proof that I signed for it to be closed? I have already taken action on this matter and they said the same thing... "We see you signed for your savings account to be closed and that is your signature, so you closed it."

My over $1,000.00 was just sitting in my saving account for years. Then one day I know I came to the bank and took out $400 from the over $1,000.00 in my saving... that I know I did and that was ok. But then the bank said according to dates, I came back to the bank 5 months later and closed my account, then deposited some of that money (which the deposit slip was not written by me) into my checking account when I took the rest. What made it worst was when I talked to the bank manager, she became very disrespectful. At some point in the conversation, she said to me... "I don't know what you did with that money, but you closed your account." Then she said..."OH, COME ON YOU KNOW YOU TOOK WHAT MONEY!"

Another manager at that bank said to me... "Do you have a twin sister? Maybe if you go home and think about it, maybe you will remember what you did with the money." So as far as they could see, I did have $207.81 put into my checking account, so I should be Ok with that since they sent me a notice over a year ago saying that my account was closed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

This company acquired my mortgage from another mortgage company and the adventure began. After a death in the family, loss of job and another family member got ill I fell one month behind on my payment. I had correspondence with the bank and was told I qualified for a loan modification. They sent the paperwork which was filled out and returned promptly. Then the phone calls started. M&T Bank is also a collection company. My loan modification was denied for reasons that escape me. I have spent many hours providing this company with everything they requested. Beware is all I can say.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was mislead on what a loan motivation was by phone and was hassled by this mortgage after experiencing damaged from Hurricane Harvey. A representative from the company showed up at my home uninvited, many hassling phone calls and letters after arrangements were made with the company, rude customer service reps who acted as if they were doing you a favor by taking your call. After applying for the modification with all required documentation due to a 3 month deferment, the company required my check stubs pre-storm as if we received raises during the storm.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

Worst car loan experience I have ever had. To begin with, when I initially opened my account I never received any billing information concerning loan payments. I assumed that my payments would not start for 45 days like most banks. Nope, not this one. I didn't receive any billing information until my first payment was past due and then demanded a double payment. I attempted to assure them that I never received the initial information concerning account number, payment due date, or payment amount.

When I finally received my bill it was already past due. I tried to explain for over an hour to whomever would listened what happened. Customer service agents transferred me to several different departments with no resolution. After I was transferred to the department I needed, it was conveniently closed and I was forced to pay a double payment. This has been the worst banking experience ever. I will say I have a great interest rate on my car loan, but that's it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I have been through 4 different modems at Spectrum and every modem the IP address was blacklisted by M&T Bank meaning I cannot surf to their website. I can connect to any BANK except M&T Bank (Key Bank, Bank of America all good). What a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! It’s been over 2.5 weeks and when I call M&T Bank they say it’s Spectrum's IP being blocked and when I call Spectrum it is M&T Bank! Well the problem is at M&T Bank blocking IP addresses in order to gain access to the website. FYI it’s the Baracudda blacklist system! As a business owner this is **!! Also the M&T Bank App is terrible. I haven't been able to get this to work for months either. Support on the same is also poor! It’s a real shame. I have 11 accounts with them and when calling tech support you're only a NUMBER!!! And the same excuse!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Do yourself a favor and choose a different bank. They charge you for every little thing. I was 7 dollars negative in my account, so I deposited 10 dollars cash the next day, and they charge me a 38 dollar late fee... I will never pay this late fee. I wish they go bankrupt.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

M and T's online banking and app services are absolutely HORRENDOUS. As a business owner who was clearly foolish enough to open not 1, but 3 accounts with them. PLEASE spare yourself the trouble of having EVERYONE in the entire United States having access to your account EXCEPT YOU! Oh, and the hold times over the phone are endless.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My mortgage was sold to M&T Bank. Ever since, dealing with this bank has been a nightmare. Their customer service people are incompetent, their loan officers don't know what they are doing, what you are told via phone conversations and what actually happens are two different things, and they are always looking for a way to charge you more for them doing nothing but harassing their customers.

A couple of years ago, I fell behind 30 days on my mortgage. I was assigned someone that was going to help me get back on track and possibly lower my payments or put the delinquent payments at the end of my loan. Conversations went on for 18 months! I turned in my paperwork 7 times. Three times they couldn't find it so it had to be resent. Two times my loan specialist uploaded the wrong information and made my account show I was making $10,000 more than I was. I really liked this one because I got to argue with them several times per month on how much I actually did make. Showing pay stubs and payroll sheets apparently weren't good enough... because they "knew exactly what I made and verified with my employer's payroll person". That was comical. What was even more funny was the fact that they never called my employer to talk with payroll because I am the one that does payroll! They didn't know that at the time.

Then they tried to say that they spoke with someone there but couldn't give me a name. I went to the office and asked everyone there if they had spoken to someone from M&T Bank. Everyone said no one had called from there. The company I work for has a total of 6 employees including me so this wasn't a hard task... I ended up getting caught up on my own after being told they would help and not to catch my account up because they would help.

I ended up falling behind again about 6 months ago. I got the same runaround about the paperwork and that they would help. The newest thing is to keep charging my account $14 per month because they need to send someone to my house to make sure it is occupied even though I speak with them, get their certified mail, and deal with them calling me 5-7 times per day every day. If they can come up with a bogus charge, they will add it to your account! Beware of them. If you can stay away, DO IT!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I was laid off last year and have been continually 30 days late with my mortgage payment. I have started to recover financially and then had to replace a 6k boiler system on the house. I have applied to M&T mortgage for a home modification and was denied based on credit! I knew that would be the outcome since the loss of employment. I asked the bank to add 2 payments to the back of the loan and they have refused but continually offer a deed in lieu of title. They have been of no help.

I understand that they cannot file for foreclosure until I exceed 90 days of no payments. Even though I am in constant contact with them, I come home to 3-4 messages daily to call them. I call them and we go through the same script, "Is the home occupied, why are you behind, when are you going to pay?" It has become harassing and I have decided not to return any calls and have blocked their number. Banks wonder why they have so many homes in this area sitting vacant for nonpayment, I am not the only one struggling. If you are looking for a mortgage, I would suggest looking at another company!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

This the worst bank ever, you can tell they do not care about anybody. They bought Hudson City Bank and kept 2 mortgages on credit report. Had to fight to remove one, then added $12500.00 to balance of my mortgage. They say they charge to pay mortgage off early. Now they want 2 months mortgage payments in escrow at all times. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BANK. They will stress you out every month with new fees. Now they reported I was late over 90 days on my mortgage for 10 months in a row. They killed my credit so I have to fight to change the last credit report.

M&T Bank Company Information