3.8/5 (455 ratings)

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

When People's United Bank was purchased my M&T Bank over a month ago, I have not been able to get into my account online. I keep getting locked out and have to go the bank to check my checking account balance. People's United Bank was soooo easy to log into and this one just keeps locking me out. Can never get to a rep by phone because it keeps hanging up on me. If I didn't have overdraft protection on this account, I would change bank in a heartbeat. So far I HATE THIS BANK.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I have been on hold for over an hour the first call and an hour and a half during the second attempt. The first time with patience, I finally was transferred to a customer service representative. I need to get a title as we purchased a vehicle out of state and are trying to register it in our state. I was told that I need to request this in an email. They gave me an email address that bounced back. I was not able to get hold of someone the second attempt after being on hold for almost two hours.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

We purchased an RV and secured an installment loan through M&T bank. We scheduled payments through their app. Every single time the payment was scheduled, the bank would take out 2 payments even though only 1 was scheduled. We have called customer service several times and were assured that the payment would be reversed. The other problem is every payment we schedule was being reversed and they claim it was due to insufficient funds even though there was plenty in the account to cover the payment.

We contacted our bank and were told that M&T Bank did not have the information entered on their end. The numbers were blank. This was told to them several times and again no one could help. This bank has lowered our credit score and will do nothing to correct the situation. Now we have to go to a branch in person to pay the loan in cash since they are unable to figure out how to take the money from our account. I would not recommend ever using this bank.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

M&T Bank just bought People's Bank. My old bank. Since the takeover all old people's customers could not log into their accounts. Then customer service was so overloaded. They do not answer the 800 number even after 1 hr wait. I have read the scary reviews, I will be looking for a new bank toot sweet. Be afraid.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I called the mortgage division about paying off my loan. They said that they could not email me the final statement but would mail it to me. The mail never arrived. I called them back 2 weeks later and the rep said they did not mail the statement, but did fax and email it to my M&T rep. (who later told me that's not true, he'd not received any info). At that point they said they actually could email it to me, but it would take 2-3 days. They also said I could just go to my local branch and close out there.

Three days later I went to my local branch assuming. They called the mortgage division who told them that they couldn't provide the actual amount. They said it would actually need five days to process, to come up with the exact interest amount to come up with a payout statement. At this point the local branch manager is now on hold trying to get a straight answer, telling me that it shouldn't be this difficult and the mortgage division should in fact give me a final amount today. We'll see but regardless, bad service by the mortgage dept, great local service at my home branch.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

Remediation Contractor here that provided services to a homeowner. The insurance company made the payable to the homeowner and M&T (mortgage co). M&T took the check 4 months ago and has still not dispersed any payments!!! All documentation has been provided multiple times. Every time the homeowner calls, they are told something different and need more paperwork. In over 10 years of business, I have never had a problem like this. I feel terrible for the homeowner!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Tried to get a 10 day payoff on my RV loan to give to the new owner's bank, new bank requires a paper copy, called M&T, after over an hour on hold, I finally spoke with someone who said they can't email me a copy of the statement, they would be glad to mail it to me in 3-5 days! It's 2022 folks, if you can't email a PDF statement to me, your bank doesn't deserve my business, not to mention the lengthy wait time to speak with anyone! Automated system is a joke, it asks for your account number, but won't accept anything you input. What a horrible customer service experience, glad I'm closing my account!!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Just spoke to a supervisor who called me a liar. He told me I had only made 3 payments since opening my account in December. Shell oil is a monthly bill! M&T has had problems paying it for 7 months that's why their records show only 3 months, my January and February bills were not paid by m&t plus my Shell card was cancelled for the first time since the 1980s. I've had to pay shell $87 of late fees because m&t can't get a check, not even electronic payment on time and I mean a week before it's due. They blame everyone but themselves!

I've been waiting for a rep after being out on hold an additional 10 minutes after waiting in hold listening to music I don't care to listen to. Whatever happened to silence! Reason I'm calling for the second time in 8 months is that M&T can't seem to do electronic checks to Shell gas company. I've been charged late payment twice and card wouldn't work for two weeks!! I had to pay shell with a credit card to have shell card work. My July bill wasn't paid until August 1 even though I specifically asked for bill to be paid by July 22. They mailed the check. But can mail it myself and it'll get there on time.

Still on hold for Dawn who put me on hold and never bothered to come back. Hung up!!! Terrible online service too. On hold again 5 minutes and counting. Was told in January that M&T would pay for my $29 late fee which I've been charged again and it's my present balance and I'm still waiting. I rather my bank pay my bills on time as there's that credit report/record thingy to worry about.

Original review: July 18, 2022

I banked with M&T for 20+ years and I have extremely poor experiences with M&T. Everything to failure to provide a new card upon request after an old one expired, to consistent failure of the "online banking" website, to bank-to-bank transfers simply not working, to taking weeks of time and hours across multiple phone calls and branch visits simply to close a checking account. However, at this branch, senior relationship banker Yvonne ** went above and beyond for me in a fruitless effort to assist me with an issue that M&T's central system wouldn't permit her to remedy. She stayed past bank closing time, she bent over backwards to try to help me however she could. Other branch members were extremely friendly as well. It's not their fault that their bank's system/infrastructure is terrible.

(One incredible note: M&T apparently forces its own employees to contact M&T's customer service lines--just as the customer would--to attempt to resolve certain account issues. So poor Ms. ** sat in a customer service queue with the customer present waiting for an answer that ended up being unsatisfactory (the issue could not even be resolved). Just seems like a really poor way of doing business.)

Original review: July 18, 2022

The bank blocked my online access for no clear reason. When I called the customer service the woman was very sassy with a condescending attitude. After the account was unblocked I told her I did not need her help anymore. She told me I had to change my login. I replied I would do it on my own. She insisted that I do that while she was on the line otherwise she would block my account again. She said my account was blocked because I traveled out of the country. The thing is that I traveled more than one month prior and returned and used my account daily with no problem. 30 days after I returned to my home city they blocked my account. Faulty software and sassy customer service. I do not recommend.

M&T Bank Company Information