3.29/5

323 M&T Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 14, 2019

The first problem I had was my card not working anywhere I went, it had to be scanned multiple times. A fresh card that doesn't work, shows how much they spend on their cards. Also don't ever deposit a check into M&T Bank. I deposited $800 and it has been on hold for over 2 weeks and they say they can't do anything about it. I will definitely be leaving M&T and be going back to ESL because it has been nothing but problems with M&T from the start.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Dont know why we ever decided to open an account with these people. In through one ear and out the other should be their new slogan. The most moronic people you ever meet! You tell them to do one thing and they do the exact opposite. Opened 2 bank accounts and they totally screwed up the paperwork. Gave them an address and specifically told them dont send any mail there. 1 week later, getting tons of junk mail to an address I never did before dealing with these morons at M&T Bank. Gave them a PO Box address and told them specifically to send everything there.

These idiots put the PO Box and my company address on the same address put on letters and yet the idiots sent everything to the address we told them not to. Now we have to get our legal department involved and force these idiots to change everything. Then they tried to play games with the opening deposits, we told them how much we wanted to deposit and told them we were going to make withdrawals on cash deposits. Cash deposits are available the second you deposit them. They wouldnt allow us to do anything. Then we heard the lie after lie with the person who opened the account pretending he didnt hear what we told him at least 5 times in a now. It's been 10 days and we are still waiting for the debit cards and still nothing. Dont bother with this bank, not even 1 day with them and they are already screwing everything up!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Not sure why my bank sold my mortgage to them. I was never late and have been with them for 7 years. No issues at all. Then BOOM... I get a letter with the info 2 days before mortgage was due. Good thing I waited to pay this time... M&T will not let me make payments online. Been trying for DAYS. So I call only to find out if I make payment by phone there is a 15 fee. Really?? I wish I could refinance with a bank that has a better reputation and LOCAL. I can't even walk in and pay. They are non-existent. My one hope is they go bankrupt and my loan is paid off. :p I will try again Monday. But if this keeps on I will be late. Maybe that is what they want us to do? Good luck to any of you that have them. Not a good business at all.

Original review: May 2, 2019

M&T Bank bought my mortgage from Wells Fargo. Never did anyone notify me beforehand. They received 2 payments for April; 2019. I have fought this for 32 days. Just when I thought it was settled and went to make my may payment they state they never got any payment. They received 2 April payments for a total of 2855.86 from my Wells Fargo account. It went to M&T Bank and showed they received it. James and another James and Wanda and Michele and other supervisors told me the second duplicate payment was held in suspense. They just stole 2855.86 and never did they even call me one time. They only sent a letter talking about basic mortgage stuff when they said they would credit back the duplicate payment. Beware beware beware M&T Bank.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I have spent nearly 2 weeks dealing with M&T Bank for my Mortgage transfer. No link they provide shows up for me when I type what I am told to (but does for them) and they are unable to complete the enrollment over the phone whitch is forcing me to have them mail me the form. I was also able to call them 3 times and still not receive a call back from the first individual who called me and had left a message for days prior. Not a happy start.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: April 19, 2019

I wrote a complaint about M&T credit rates and they gave out all of my personal information to someone. Now they want me to monitor my credit, why, you should do this and pay fines and losses! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: April 11, 2019

They are rude, fabricate info, ignore my information, and they do not report to credit bureau correctly. Take head do not bank with this bank. Apply late fees when I pay on time. They interrupt when I'm trying to talk, and they harass about payments and say they are late when they are not.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I open up an account at M&T Bank. After having trouble with them in the password I lost my deposit and were very rude. I thought maybe after years they were changed and their attitude changed and they keep sending me solicitation so I open up an account and I had it for about 2 months and they closed my account without explanation. I went to the branch and Camp Road. Their girl was not very helpful or friendly. She called Rochester where they closed my account and said she got off the phone with her and I said why did they close my account and she says, "I can't really tell you. All I can say is they close your account and sometime in the future you can apply again." It was very rude.

She said it had something to do with fraud and when I asked who was causing fraud against my account she would not answer me or give me an answer. She was very helpful and unprofessional. This is a terrible Bank. Do not bank here West Herr. Try to open up an account for my auto loan with this bank and I told them I would not buy the truck if I had to go through M&T Bank. They're the worst bank I've ever dealt with.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The online banking system has been unavailable for days now. When I call, they essentially blame me - assuming it's my computer or browser. Well, I have tried with multiple computers in multiple buildings using several browsers without success. This is a recent issue. I have never had problems like this in all the years I have used M&T. Their lack of honesty relative to this issue is disconcerting.

Original review: March 12, 2019

My original loan was thru Bank of America 2009, then I was sent a letter years later stating I have a new mortgage company M&T. Never missed a payment & often paid months in advance when times were good. I missed one payment in the 10 years of the loan they come to your home multiple times to charge fees for random property inspections. This is a violation of privacy and a consumer rip off practice by so many big banks especially to the poor. This bank only interest is to get paid and has no compassion for humans.

M&T Bank Company Information