2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (247 ratings)

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: July 23, 2021

We had an insurance claim made and approved by our insurance company. They had to issue the check to me and M+T Bank. 6/2/2021 I sent the check as directed to their overnight address. Received a letter dated 6/10/2021 requesting a detailed work order from the shop who will do the repairs (even though I was never told initially that this was needed when sending in the check). Per Tracking, they received the WO on 7/9/2021 via mail overnight. 7/16/2021, was told they never received it (even though I have proof they did). I asked for a fax number and sent the WO and other documentation to them again. 7/23/2021 and 3 more calls I have no information on where the check is and why I haven't received it. UNACCEPTABLE! Never will I deal with M+T Bank again and once I receive the check, I will be getting a personal loan and pay M+T bank off ASAP!

Original review: July 12, 2021

My husband and I bought our RV and were so excited about it until we began making payments with M&T Bank, which picked up the loan through the dealer. The payment was low, $220 or so, so in an attempt to pay the loan off quicker, we decided to make $300 monthly payments, assuming the additional $80 or so dollars was going to principal only payments. But, apparently, M&T does not do that, they take more interest and push your due date further out, not apply to principal. So, after 15 months of this nonsense, I paid off the loan in the amount of about $26k.

The day after I paid it off, I tried to go online to check that the payoff had been received and print some kind of confirmation that it was a zero balance, but, my access was cut off because my account was now closed. This was June 18th. On July 7th, these crooks took a payment from my checking account that was set up online (again, no access to cancel it), and now are telling I have to wait two weeks for the refund to be processed to get my money returned to me. And, somehow this is my fault that I did not cancel the payment that was taken 3 weeks after the loan was paid in full. So, my question is, does this amount to theft in anyone else's mind???

I cannot tell you how many calls I have made and emails I have sent to the brain dead and uncaring customer service department. My advice is NEVER use this bank, if you can even call them a bank. They are thieves and robber-barrens, not in the business of taking care of their customers on any level. HOW DOES A BANK LIKE THIS EVEN STAY IN BUSINESS WITH NO REPERCUSSIONS???

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have had savings and checking accounts with M & T for years now. Lately, the service has gotten worse. Today it hit bottom. I have had paperless statements only for quite some time. Today I got a paper statement in the mail, and it was addressed to my spouse, who is NOT on this account, which is private. Why now? Try getting an email address to manage the issue? Forget it! Phone call to customer service- 20+ minutes wait, and I was cut off two times. Maybe the local branch manager's name to email? Cannot find the name anywhere! Online "other ways to connect"- nada.

Imagine if I was an abused spouse, and my spouse seeing my personal banking could literally endanger my life. The only other M & T account I have is the mortgage, with my spouse, so he opened what he thought was a mortgage statement when he saw his name on the envelope. Service is awful, "connection" is a joke, and it's time to leave this unprofessional bank.

Original review: July 1, 2021

Do NOT use this company. I never write reviews but this needs to be said. I have an RV loan with this company and my monthly payment is less than $300/month. I always pay between $300 and $500/month early.... NEVER LATE. I looked at my bill today just to check the balance and noticed that they applied my entire payment towards interest. I called to ask why and they said because I paid my bill early the prior month and then later (AGAIN NOT LATE) the following month that the daily per diem took the extra money. WHAT!!! Was my payment late? No, but it still goes towards the daily per diem amount if you pay it early the prior month and then on time the following month.

What is so funny is that my bill shows that my next payment isn't due until October because I have paid well over the minimum amount due every month! This company is a rip off!!! Do not use them. Side note... The customer service there is subpar to say the least! Thank you for nothing Cindy (manager in the Telephone Banking Center)!

Original review: July 1, 2021

I signed up with M&T online banking for a loan for my RV and I wanted to make payments online. You can make payments on their website or by mail. All my bills were being sent to my email but I couldn't get to my online account because I received errors for weeks at a time, with no resolution. Because of these online banking issues I missed the first two payments and it affected my credit score after they reported me. I asked them to remove as a courtesy since it was the first two payments and there was issues in getting the correct payment information but they said they can't.

I recently signed up for automatic withdraw so this wouldn't happen again and when I went to check to make sure it was being withdrawn, the same message below pops up. I've tried to get in touch with someone in their online department to see what is going on, no one ever picks up the phone after being on hold for over 30 minutes. Customer service says they also can't help as well. It's really pathetic. I wish I financed my RV with another bank that has a functioning online banking option, a responsive customer service team and doesn't penalize their customers because they can't get with the 21st century and have a properly operating website.

Same message for multiple months now: "M&T Online Banking is temporarily unavailable. We are working to restore the service as soon as possible. We’re sorry for the inconvenience. If you have any questions regarding your personal M&T accounts or you would like to complete a transaction, please call 1-800-724-2440 and select option 1. For business account questions or to complete a transaction, please call 1-800-724-6070 and select option 1."

Original review: June 14, 2021

After we decided to close account, we found out that doesn't provide any means by electronic transfers to other banks. And very limiting amount by Zelle. After we requested the check by secure messaging on bank web, were told, that they don't accept such request. No they accepted such request by phone, even our phone and address they have on file. Bank asked for a notarized! letter, send by US postal service, Over one month passed, after M&T Bank receive such a later, but still no check was send! Bank branch is located too far from us, and bank is open only during day hours, when we are working, too.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I deposited $350 in the ATM machine inside M&T Bank. Received a receipt from the machine saying that the transaction was not completed due to an internal error. I called customer service. I offered to fax or email a copy of the receipt from their ATM machine to prove my claim. I was informed that a dispute will be started. I requested a credit for the amount I deposited until they process their dispute. That was declined even after talking to a manager (Zach). I requested the information needed to file a complaint. The manager asked me to contact customer service again. What? Or he will file the complaint? There should be someone to file a complaint to. How can a manager be unable to provide a customer with info about where to file a complaint in the company. Not sure how long to wait for my money to appear in my account and nobody to talk to except customer service who did not have the authority to credit my account (that what they said).

Original review: May 12, 2021

Original mortgage was with Chase but got transferred/assumed by M&T. Since M&T took over we have seen 30+% increases in our mortgage payment. Every year there are escrow overages, despite having the same insurance provider. We pay the communicated "estimated overage to avoid rate increase" but they have been retaining the escrow overage for several months, still increasing the monthly rate and then hitting us with late fees for the difference. Calls to the customer service number result in 30-90 minute waits with no resolution and the customer service representatives seem unable to access current information and/or resolve issues.

Original review: May 5, 2021

My house loan was with Chase. Never had any issues. Chase sold my loan to M&T Bank. Horrible from the get go. I get bills 2 months away. My checks don't get processed. They simply do not have it together. Next to impossible to get any answers and their website is weak. I would not chose to do any banking with M&T.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Beware! M&T Bank touts "Automated Phone Service," but when I called in I had to give my full bank account no. to a rude stranger or risk being late. M&T is in Baltimore, so "no" postal service "due to covid," I was told, which means my snail mail check payment was late, and w/out notice M&T sent to credit reporting agencies, thus damaging my 822 score by 100 pts. I'd never use them again. Suggest due diligence before borrowing.

M&T Bank Company Information