M&T Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After failing to be able to make payment online I called Customer Service. Being transferred around after long holds on each round finally got to talk to supervisor only to be told I could only make my payment on PC not mobile device. The other girls didn't know that? The first two girls were very rude and I'm wondering if I was left on hold that long on purpose? My loan was transferred to them. I would never have picked them. Stay away from this business! ** for customer service and the music they play while on hold. I'd like to slap the smart mouth girls on the phone. Wonder if they REALLY record the calls? Doubt it.

Worst Bank Ever!!! When making deposits it says it will be available on a certain date then it's not, when you ask why it is not they give you some ** excuse that it posts to the account then day after the given date. WTF!!! Any bank I have ever had makes funds available immediately if under a certain amount, not here they don't make those funds available until 2-3 days later. When you tell them to cash a check and deposit as cash they won't do it stating some more ** excuses. When my father wanted to put money in my account for me they wouldn't let him! Any bank will let you deposit into an account but again not here. I have had nothing but bad experiences with this sorry excuse for a bank in the year that I've dealt with them. I will pulling all my money from this bank and opening a new account with a credit union. Do not go here!!! This bank should be shut down! Run!!!

I paid my last car loan payment and called M&T Bank customer service immediately to change my address and name so title will have correct information. They ensured me that name was changed and I was supposed to receive mail which I had to sign and send back with copy of marriage certificate. 10 days passed by and I never received mail with title that had my old name and address on it. I called them again and they said I have to deal with DMV directly to change my name on the title. As a customer, I did everything right, I was on the phone for over an hour, they told me my information was updated and they are sending mail. As a result, I have to pay fee to DMV to have my title changed. Manager was rude and entire customer service team didn't care to understand my situation, I would never use this bank and make sure everyone around me knows how bad they are.

As I have seen there are a lot of complaints about M&T Bank. I'm also complaining their phone wait period is too long. They get mad at the customer. Make up stories that make little sense. I know it not me because no other financial institution is doing that over the phone. I gave it a two stars because when they screwed up or gave me a hard time one guy put our payments back up to date for us.

Went to the bank with a personal check that someone gave me. They purchased a snowmobile from me. Went to cash it. They wouldn't let me cash it at the window so I went inside. They wanted 2% percent of the check to cash it there. Are you kidding me? This is one of the worst Banks I've ever dealt with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

We wanted to re-fi our home mortgage to save a few dollars. We always paid on time and even ahead of time. I started in mid-August, was told it would take 30 days to complete. Still no closure the week of Christmas. We had at least 3 closing dates only to be told everything was ready yet. I got a call that we would close Dec. 27, 2016. Two days before closing, I was told by M&T Bank I needed a check for over two thousand dollars for closing costs. I was told from day ONE that all costs would be added to our loan. So since I did not have the two thousand plus dollars they say I canceled the loan and therefore they keep my $275.00 fee to start the loan.

How can a bank like M&T stay in business with all the bad reviews I see. Do they even have one good review??? They advertise their loan interest is 2.7% but they told us 4.75%. They say they didn't know we had a manufactured home. We have a credit rating of 879 and they tried to shaft us. Do not deal with these people. They are bad news. M&T will take your money and run. No customer service at all. No return calls in timely manner. Run as fast as you can!

B of A sold my mortgage to M & T a few years ago. I always paid my payment before the due date until two months ago when I had a decrease in my income. I called and requested help through their Mortgage and Home Equity Repayment Assistance. They told me I had 90 days to complete the paperwork involved. They told me they would send me the application immediately as the 90 days began with that phone call.

After a week, I had not received the form. I called them back and they said they would send another application. This took another week. I completed all the paperwork with all the requested forms. They would call weekly requesting additional information they needed. All this was sent in a timely manner on my side. Last night I received a call saying they declined my request as I had not signed and dated one item they requested and I was now over the 90 days. They had that documentation for several weeks and knew it wasn't signed and dated, but never mentioned it during any of the weekly phone calls. They purposely waited out the 90 days to mention it so they could decline my request. They are vultures preying on those who really want to pay their bills, but are going through a rough time.

Do NOT deposit or invest your money here. Should the account holder die they REFUSE to release the money to the rightful beneficiary. They just keep asking for more paperwork, that even if you provide they just keep asking for more and NEVER release. By LAW after 3 years of no activity on an account by its owner they are bound to turn it over to the state and THEY DON'T - THEY KEEP THE MONEY. Dad has been dead since 2010. I am administrator of his estate and provide all certified original paperwork the County says they issue. HUDSON is committing FRAUD (or is incompetent) by holding funds for their own benefit (at a laughable .01%). The staff is jealous you are getting your dead parent's money and do everything they can to withhold it. If you die your money is THEIRS and your family will never see it. They also rip off old people with extremely low interest rates. Get a Vanguard. DO NO TAKE THEIR ADVICE it is SELF SERVING.

My mortgage was purchased by M&T, I did not enter into the relationship knowingly. M&T was crooked and unfair in their dealings with my mortgage. I have no doubt they can claim their actions were legal, but would reject any claim to a moral standard. They withheld funds while they simultaneously charged late fees. When I protested by phone, on several occasions, it was just a run around. They held funds and stood by fees, and then put the requirement on me to write a letter. Take your money, and put the work on you to get it back, that's the M&T I learned to despise. I suggest you DO NOT enter into a relationship with this bank!

I tried to deposit a small business check ($182) into my account and get immediate access. Despite the fact that I have direct deposit from my employer, they would not give me access to the money. BoA will and that's where I'm headed next. Oh, I took the check back home and photo deposited it to my Chase account, immediately available without the paper check!

I had an account with M and T for 5 years. I specified that I didn't want to have overdraft protection, and that I just wanted any charges that exceeded my funds to be rejected. The bank employee assured me they would be. I moved and tried closing my account, but they told me that I couldn't close my bank account over the telephone unless there was a $0.00 balance. So I waited until more funds had been taken from the account. Apparently, the bank DID allow charges that exceeded the funds to be debited to the account, because when I looked later, I had a negative balance. Again, the bank would not close the account because I had a negative balance not a $0.00 balance. So I had too much money and too little in the account, so either way M and T would not close the account.

On top of that, M and T does a third degree drill of me every time I call up the bank to check on a matter related to my checking account. They ask my social security number, where I lived, the bank I opened the account at. Do I remember the bank I opened the account at from 6 years ago? Every time, I end up having to dig through my purse for my debit card to tell them the number. They are highly paranoid. In addition, I tried to set up MINT financial budgeting software with my M and T account, and when the MINT budgeting software tried to connect with M and T, the M and T checking account was frozen. I had to call them up to resolve the problem several times. I had to stop using MINT with M and T.

Wanted to transfer funds or close out 2 accounts - I will start by saying that several employees happened to be kind and very helpful. One man BILL (won't mention his last name) was the rudest individual I have ever met. I spoke to this man three times and he was nasty each time. I should not have to jump through hoops to get MY money out of a bank I no longer feel comfortable doing business with all due to this one man BILL! He works in the Wyoming avenue branch in Kingston Pennsylvania. I am looking to make a formal complaint about him as I have been a customer over 15 years and plan on taking every penny out and opening an account with a new bank. I will not accept being treated that way. He is one unhappy, miserable individual and it shows! He should not be in any type of customer service if he is not capable of being polite!

Run, I mean seriously run from this corrupt company. I don't write reviews unless service is excellent or horrible. M&T is the worst I have ever dealt with. They leave Verizon and the DMV look like fairy godmothers. I am making this statement only to save the reader from entering a nightmare. I'm not going into a tangent, just the facts as briefly as possible. The first paragraph says all you need to make a decision if you are considering doing any sort of business with them.

I signed a contract with Hudson City Savings bank for my home loan and paid on time for 8 years, no problems. M&T takes, buys the loan, and HUGE problems begin but not until about 8 after transition. They decided to add, get this, $6,000 onto my escrow amt on the loan and on the 1st month after this fraud, my loan payment went from 2500 to 3800 for wind insurance that was never required before by them or Hudson city. They told me all of NY had to pay wind insurance. NOT TRUE. After an appeal and many, many frustrating phone calls without the promised follow-up, without them posting proper notes on my account of conversations (luckily they were recorded and when I requested they be listened to the rep changed her tune a bit but I was still in the same bad situation), at least I was not treated like a liar for the rest of that conversation.

Letters sent to them became lost. One department could not pull up notes from another department. I mean I could go on and on but my face is going red again just writing this. Turns out it was never a NY State mandate as they claimed. It was a requirement... of their bank. To change the terms of my original agreement should be illegal and I told them that. It's criminal. They didn't budge... just kept adding more to my monthly payments.

Unfortunately my business took a $ dip last year after health problems/surgery, so at the moment I do not look good enough on paper to get a loan with another bank. It's like I am shackle to them and at their mercy for now. Can't stop paying what they want or they will put me in default. I am a hardworking, honest person who has never missed a payment on my mortgage. This is not right. Oh and on doing research this week, turns out the CEO was convicted of criminal frauds charges for business conducted at M&T.

I'm so glad you took the time to read this if it helps you. I am not one to crumble and not fight back when there is an injustice but after months and countless hours (I logged in 78 hrs after the 1st month of this whole mess) I realized they are just one of those big corrupt businesses you can't fight unless you have a bucket full of money. Serious... you've got to stay away. I feel better that I might've helped you but I am in a bad way otherwise. Bottom line, I lost the appeal, have to get wind coverage according them unless I wanted to go into default and ruin my good credit.

M&T Mortgage is the worst possible mortgage company we've ever had to do business with. They appear to be either a dysfunctional company or just as bad, a company that doesn't care enough about their customers to coordinate their services among their own staff so one staff person knows what the other staff person knows. They admit they don't talk to one another. You can't get an actual phone number from them - staff people claim they don't have phone numbers, always referring you to their 800 line which you can't get through on, unless you have 6 or 8 hours to wait. I would not recommend M&T Mortgage to anyone under any circumstances!

My checking and savings accounts were recently frozen at M&T Bank because of a mix up with a creditor. After calling the creditor and getting that resolved, I went to the bank to make the payment and clear up the account, while the creditor faxed the necessary paperwork to the bank. When I spoke with the creditor they informed me they could hold twice the amount I owed; however when I went to the bank, my entire balances were frozen on both of my accounts, totaling over three times the amount the creditor had been authorized to deduct. I signed the required legal documents to remove the hold, which they faxed to the bank's legal department at 4:00 p.m. (Their legal department said they could do it if they received the fax by 4:30.) I was at the bank at 3:00 - it took an hour just to get this point. However, by 4:30 the accounts were still frozen and I was unable to get my money.

New York State law says they can freeze twice the amount the creditor is asking for, but the bank wouldn't let me withdraw the money over and above that amount either. Even worse, the branch manager, Saundra **, was extremely rude to me. She told me in a very rude, sarcastic voice, "You can call this number and complain to them!" (Referring, I think, to the bank's legal department she was calling.) I hadn't been complaining at all up to this point, I was being very patient with them. M&T also never notified me that there was a legal action (hold) going on with my account. If I had known the day it happened, I could have started this process three days sooner and not been out of money. I have to go back Monday and see if the hold has been lifted, but it still may not be removed.

Not only is M&T Bank breaking the law, they were very unhelpful, extremely rude to me the entire time I was there, and very unprofessional. The tellers were standing behind the counter talking loudly about how they just wanted to get out of there at 5:00 and go drink vodka! I'm definitely closing my accounts there and advising all of my family and friends to do the same.

Last year I went on short term disability but my claim for pay was denied. A couple days before returning to work they terminated me. Lost 3 months income and then 6 months reduced from unemployment. I had been searching for work for 7 months but nothing was in the area. Just as my benefits ran out, an old supervisor so my resume and I was hired but I had to commute over an hour away. I needed a job so I took it. We treaded water for the 9 months due to my small 401k disbursement. Then due to the rise in medical cost, economy and insurance coming due I got behind 2 payments.

I started the loss - m&t process only 1 payment behind in July 2016 and knew August could not be made but could start monthly payments in September. We received breach notices and made a payment with some extra funds toward the arrears for September. By this time I completed their online request for assistance and was never contacted. Called and got info at which time they gave my account number over the phone!! Along with contacting HUD who advised to pull the package offline. I filled it out Huds pack and in the meantime the banks came in so Extra docs that they had I pulled and signed.

I emailed opsmtgsupport@mtb.com but encrypted it to protect my info since it contained so much personal info. I followed up a couple times a week by phone leaving messages and emailing. I finally started getting vm from them to call. Due to my new work schedule and commute my hours matched their call center. I can not take personal calls and have privacy to discuss at work. I sent an email explaining this and to please leave details on vm or send email. NOTHING BUT THE SAME REPEATED VM.

So I faxed the docs and a few days later received a missing items letter. I emailed the requested items encrypted and started with the follow ups again SAME VM FROM THEM. I eventually sent in a complaint which was read and contradicts what I was told today. The response I got was rude, smug and gave no assistance. I was told 16 mos ago they mailed something regarding where to send complaints and they did not need to respond but would do so. (I was heavily medicated at the time and do not remember much of the time frame.)

Finally was told they can not accept encrypted emails and for privacy reasons they could not respond but by a call. I faced the items per the request on 10.1.16 and started following up the same way and advising of my hours and commute. I thought everything was sent and did not receive another missing items letter nor a completion letter. I have approximately 15 emails and all 20 calls documented. 10.7.16 we went to make a payment with additional funds and was blocked from making a payment.

I sent emails and called trying to get the block off. SAME DAMN VM RECEIVED. Today I had to appear at court in the county I live so I had a little time to call before attending. So I did, tried to explain situation - they did not care they do not have email. Incoming emails they scan and save to a file and nothing else. So things I explained would not get to my rep. I was advised I need to call as this is their only communication method! Explained the only reason able to get a call out was b/c of court. She said this is my responsibility and need to call. I asked if they would reimburse me for my time off to make a call where I have no privacy. It is my responsibility.

I was given a list and advised that since I did CURE the missing items letter no more get sent and need to call in. So if I can not make calls do to my schedule there is no way to know what needs fixed. Meanwhile I am 2 payments behind, late charges assessing and fees accumulating. One of my calls I asked for communication by mail so now they will not even do that. I got the documents they needed and hung up.

Called FHA National Servicing Center - explained the situation and was told I need to call the bank explained I did and no help. Call the bank or get a HUD counselor which I need to take off work for and do not have vacation time yet. I hung up as it was a waste of time. Called the branch to get the amount to bring current and want to make sure I could pay do to the block. He had to call me back. When he did he hooked me to the people I already spoke to and was informed the payment amount and that I needed to call in to make it as the... I hung up on her. So now I will not be reviewed, can't make a payment and can't make a call. I have spoke to several former employees and they all left b/c of the new M&T thought process and all stated they want to get bigger and build the base with money.

Now I have worked loss mitigation, bankruptcy and foreclosure for 15 years between 2 banks. I under a consent order from OCC and CFPB working with reviewers from CFPB on my side. Never have I seen a lack of customer service this great even from the big banks. I am the only person at the bank where I am currently work that speaks to customers on loss mit and interactions with BK and FC. I do not know everything but communicate by phone and email as people's schedules need to be accommodated to truly help. M&T MAY NOT WANT YOUR HOUSE BUT THEY WANT YOUR INTEREST LATE CHARGES AND FEES!!

I need to work as my insulin cost went from 50.00 to 650.00 when I lost my job and it sometimes comes down to being alive or having a roof over my head. I am working to try and get medical assistance but will need insulin. Prior to this getting done. They do not care and FHA was a waste of time. On another note with them when I got my mortgage I opened a checking acct where the minimum balance was 5.00. They now require me to have 5000.00. The only time that happened was when my one income tax was deposited and they took 14.00 a month for servicing it and balance under the limit. AVOID THEM!!

On 9/29 I deposited a check written off a credit union in another state. The funds were deducted from the payer's account the same day. I was told by the teller with whom I deposited my check that it would be 2 business days. I am now told that there is a 4 day hold because it was written off a credit union. Then (same conversation) told the money, which is MINE and was DEBITED IMMEDIATELY from the other account will be credited to my account on 10/6 - one full week after my in-person deposit of the check. This is 2016, folks. So, pray tell, all powerful owners and overlords of other peoples' money... When will you have accrued enough interest off MY money to go ahead and credit it to my account? Greedy bastards. The lot of you should be in jail. I imagine they are all the same, but I will be shopping around... This is highway robbery.

I was a customer for two years on a marine loan, always paid on time. When I sold the boat on 8/17/16 they advised me the title would be sent to me within 5-7 business days as long as I called and requested it once loan was paid. They confirmed loan was paid and I requested to mail title. Mind you my address had NOT changed in two years and they mailed me a BILL every month in this time.

NOW - since loan was paid and they mailed the title, something happened with their system and they mailed it to my address but their system changed the city. So the Post Office sent it back. Now we are headed two weeks in because I waited the 7 business days before I called and they told me to wait a few more days and then call again and so I did and then after 10 business days (going into 2nd week) they stated they did receive it back. So I asked that it be overnighted. I was told they would do so only if I paid for it with a FedEx account. I said "even though it was not my fault you mailed it wrong?" They advised it was not their fault either. So after speaking with a supervisor she still said NO. So I paid for it to be sent FedEx. Overnight.

Next day - I did NOT receive it. I called and was told that was a different department and they were closed (4:30 pm every day) to call back (no one ever offered to call me). So I called the next day to check into it and for a tracking number, they could not provide one she said. Therefore they did not send it. After requesting another supervisor to assist me this person advised he would call the dept that would send out the FedEx and request the tracking number and call me back by 11 am. So at 11:15 (phone in my pocket so I could answer right away) I get a Voice mail alert. They called through the app that puts straight to voice mail, stating that the titles would be sent out that day by 2 but still did not have a tracking number. When I called that evening at 4 pm they still could not provide me the tracking number. No matter who I asked or what I asked they always said NO and they could not reach the person in charge of sending out the FedEx.

So we are now going into the 3rd week after phone calls and runarounds. They provided a shipping number and told me they were sending the TITLE to the loan that was paid off 3 weeks prior. When I received the package the next day and opened it I could NOT believe it. There literally was a loan paid off paper and NO TITLES. I proceeded to call and raise Cain due to how unprofessional that I had to pay for a paper for a paid loan and still no title and demanded that I speak to someone that could actually help me. They never seem to care. Every one always just said NO. I requested that the titles be placed in the FedEx and sent to me overnight and would not get off the phone until I was told something positive.

Still I sat there and she just ran around every avenue of the word No, call back, she left a message for the person, blah blah. I finally realized something... I had paid off the loan 3 weeks prior, I had requested my titles. Then I paid (when I should not had to) for the FedEx and they still HELD the titles. So I advised her by them sending the FedEx and remaining to hold the titles that an attorney would find that as refusal to provide me what I paid for and that I would not continue to call and beg for what was due to me. And she just stated for me to do what I need to.

But then my phone rang and I answered and it was the CSR from M&T. She stated that she placed another call and the lady that was in charge of the FedEx happened to still be in the office. (Although the last 3 weeks I was told they left at 4:30) It was close to 5pm and she stated she had a tracking number for me. Then the next day I received my titles. Funny how things shifted when I mentioned the fact that they were HOLDING my titles to a PAID loan. The names of some of the CSR's were Liz, Harley (she at least called me back to provide the tracking number), Suzette, and Debbie from Documentation and Collateral (they were responsible on sending the titles) and sent the first time only a loan payoff paper.

The 2 FedEx charges to my account was $70. M&T charged me for both shipments. When I called and ask to be refunded for at least one charge guess what I was told... NO. That it was not their fault the zip code pulled another city (system problem not mine) I paid. Then when their employee deliberately sent a pay off paper and NOT the title after she was told the issue by at least 4 different CSR's - I had to pay the 2nd time as well. This CSR stated that they don't sent titles overnight but regular mail, I tried to explain to her the fact of the matter and she also could see all the notes in the computer from every phone call made. She still stated that they do not refund.

I tried to explain to her that the right thing / Customer Service to do was when I called the last time and had to ask for my titles AGAIN.... M&T should have NEVER charged MY FedEx account for their 2nd failure to send what I paid off. They are a poor excuse for a Bank and have the worst Customer Service I have ever encountered. I never received my titles until 9/8/16. I called FedEx and told them the situation and even though they didn't have a part in this fight, they credited my account one charge. WOW that a bank can't even do one customer service gesture for a loyal customer for 2 years.

This bank is horrible, illegal and fraudulent. They assess late fees and fines, and do not tell you you've been assessed. The fines do not appear on bank statements nor on-line. You have no idea you need to pay these fines until after they have doubled or tripled the fines and then reported you to an agency to recoup the money by force. Incredible!!! They claim they've made "several attempts" to get you to pay the fines, but in reality, they've kept it a very closely guarded secret. What a scam! I've been bait by this twice now, and I need help. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. How can we report this to higher authorities? Please help!

M&T Bank purchased our home loan from another bank. Ever since then we have had the worst service. I really wish we could have had a say. There are no M&T Bank near me. So when I was unable to pay online, I was told to mail a check in and 3 separate occasions they never received my check? So we were charged a late fee each time. After the first time I did not trust mailing a check so I called and was told to pay over the phone however they would charge me. So I paid the $35.00 fee for payment over the phone so I would not incur the late fee. They still could not get my online payment situated. I end up mailing a check for the next month and again they don't seem to find it. I ask for a different address so that it is not a P. O box so I can FedEx it, to no avail. We finally have the online payment situated but still have to pay the late fee. I just want to change our mortgage company.

In the process of relocating from SC to WNY, I prepared to open an account on 6/15/16 with M&T Bank Online in anticipation of that move on July 3rd. During that process, I ran into several glitches with their Online system (in regard to bank-to-bank transfers), and was forced to contend with M&T's Online Banking support system - which is an absolute horror! You are held on hold for up to 35 minutes (during which time, their badly chosen music blares into the phone), and then you cannot get a straight answer from anyone. It seems they operate much the same way that some Phone service providers do - they read off a list of things you're supposed to try (which mostly do not work), and after that, they are lost. I finally managed to set up the transfer on 06/22/16 - which means THAT day, the account was deemed to be active.

When I arrived here (Depew), I found out that M&T had been running a promotion where they would deposit $150 in your account, if and when you activated an at least one time direct deposit of $100 minimum. I called the M&T Online Support line again (seeing that the branches refuse to address anything to do with the Online aspect - again, if I had known THAT; I would never have opened an account with this bank). After much back and forth - because I had also not been told that one would need a promotional code (which wasn't issued or even mentioned when I opened the account, but which I was supplied with after much back and forth again). They assured me that they would "make a notation on my account" and activate that promo code.

To make a long story short... my Direct Deposit went into their bank on August 17th and now I'm being told that they will not honor their promise because "no code had been entered on my account". I advised them today that I do not feel that their missing information that should have been entered by the "Manager" I spoke with in regard to this issue is not MY problem and, if this is not resolved to my satisfaction by Monday, I will lodge a complaint with the BBB for misrepresentation and scamming me. The only reason I opened an account with this particular bank was total nostalgia. I worked for them for a short time 50 years ago. So much for nostalgia!!

This action on their part has not only caused me HOURS of phoning, e-mailing, researching, etc., etc., but I now also have to spend additional time setting up another account, and changing my Direct Deposit (as well as a couple of automatic bill paying setups) and all I received from this Company is a generic "we're sorry for the misunderstanding". I am utterly disgusted at their practices. And I can not even go to their branch and/or headquarters to get this straightened out. Last time I tried, I was told "we can't see what M&T Online is doing in regard to accounts". What??? DO NOT bank with M&T Bank! I have heard many more complaints about them in the meantime. NOT good!

M&T Bank bought out my Hudson City Bank, in NJ. December 2015. My small home improvement loan $77.00 was just about paid off. I called to find out payoff amount and the worst experience only began to evolve. I was rudely told I would have to wait until it was sent to me. Upon receiving this information, the letter had NO Bank letter head or printed on paper indicating it was M&T Bank. I sent in my final payment, which was then returned without any reasons; only another statement (again just a typed up piece of paper, no letter head) with an increase cost of interest. I contacted customer service supervisor, also said I could pay at the bank. The teller did not know at all what she was doing. She called service rep because the amount was more than stated on letter, (which I had with me). The teller still confused I then asked to speak to the rep on the phone. She said "I don't speak to the customer!"

So I refused to pay the additional amount not shown on my letter. I sent my payment again according to their instruction, certified with check etc... Received another letter again with check returned. Now added an additional amount stating I had no homeowner's insurance and charge me for a year's worth... I again contacted customer service, spoke to a supervisor, told me to send in a copy of proof of insurance and then pay amount (1. which I never did with Hudson Saving Bank, 2. Plus added interest?). The paperwork was then faxed to the bank. Next Letter, again no bank letter head, with only partial insurance amount taken off. Again I called customer. I asked to speak to supervisor. I spoke to a rep, an insurance supervisor, a payoff dept supervisor, and her supervisor... The situation was resolved within 45min, then I was conveniently disconnected.

I called customer service again, to connect me back to Robert the Supervisor. He stated they would fax the new amount so I could send in my payment. $77.00 + recording fees... NO fax received. I cannot pay off this simple little loan amount left. It is as if they keep attaching charges for no reason... Run from this Bank, take your money out and Run. I have told each person I spoke with to send out a resume and leave this highly unprofessional bank. This is so ridiculously not customer oriented. Not even close to friendly. This bank is Unorganized and foolish with MY money and loan. As of today Monday August 15th, 2016... no fax. Call customer service again! No response from Supervisor Robert in Payoff dept. This is the most unprofessional experience. Not even knowing what or why fees are being attached. I just want to pay off this small loan and put this awful experience behind me!

I have been a customer and fan of M&T Bank ever since they bought out my old bank, All First (formerly First National Bank of Maryland). Whether dealing with someone in the branch or over the phone, I've always found customer service to be top notch. I do 95% of my bill paying through the Bill Pay feature of their online banking. They honor their bill pay guarantee (if you set a payment up in the system at least 5 days ahead of its due date and it is received late by the creditor, M&T will reimburse you the cost of any assessed late fee). I've only had to collect on this once and it was several years ago. But it's good for me to know first hand that it does work!

I opened an account with a promotion. I received to get $200 after I make 100 direct deposit in 3 months. I very clearly explained how I was making my deposits from my checking account since I am retired and do not have a paycheck to it through. Was told how to do it and made a deposit upfront of $200 and have been doing 50@ from my checking. I called to see where my $200 was and was told it had to be a payroll direct deposit of $100, not 2 $50's and my checking account was not considered direct deposit even though you receive it directly each month. I was told by your employee how to do it. Just a big lie on your part not to give me my $200. I will tell everyone I know about your bad practice. Oh, I called your customer service 3 times in between and no one mentioned anything about my deposits not being correct. Bad practice!

This is the worse business I ever have encountered. Their service was unprofessional every time I have ever dealt with them. They charge you to withdraw your own money from the tellers. They lack the action of informing their customers about fraudulent activity. This bank is horrible and should be closed down. When a customer schedules a transfer they take the funds at any given time and day. They do not waive any overdraft fees no matter what the incident may be even if it's a double charge, a fraud claim, even a bank error they caused. They do not work well with their customers. The many branches that I have been to coincidentally have the most unfriendly and non-helpful people currently working.

Every time I call into the call center my call is not treated with urgency nor am I treated as a customer. This is the absolute worse bank I have ever dealt with. They transfer funds early or late, never when they are scheduled. I would never refer them to anyone. Their hours of business are inconvenient. I highly recommend people stay as far away from anything M&T Bank involved. This bank does not work with you - they work against you and steal your money. They need to be investigated immediately. I was so unhappy with my service there I have officially changed banks. It was a hassle to change the account info with all my utility companies but it was the best thing I have ever done. BEWARE OF M&T BANK!

I opened my checking and saving account in M&T over 3 years ago. I am on J-1 visa and I am working at a research institute right now. I have lived in the US for over 6 years and my husband and I started a green card application process. This is my first credit card application in the US. I previously had credit cards in other countries. Since I had been reasonably satisfied with M&T, I applied for a Visa credit card and was told that it should not be a problem as I fulfill all requirements. But I got rejected and the reason is that I am NOT A PERMANENT US RESIDENT. Although the federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, etc. The reason they are giving me is discrimination.

They did not ask me to provide any employment information, so they have no idea whether I could pay money back on time or not. I am assuming that using "Permanent US resident" as the only variable to draw their conclusion, many of your customers might have churned. I am very disappointed with M&T, and I want to specifically mention two points: 1) If they do not accept non-resident application, why not advertise this on your website. Then I do not need to waste my time applying for it, especially after telling me that I fulfill all requirements!; 2) I am not sure whether their rejection will affect my credit history. I heard it will.

I am not upset that my application was denied because I am not a US resident. M&T has every right to protect its interests and be conservative (even though their reason is somewhat questionable). What I am upset about is the way this entire situation has been handled. But mostly, I am upset that I have an unnecessary hard pull on my credit report that could have been easily avoided with a bit of communication and better processes. I am hugely disappointed with M&T and will take my business elsewhere, not to mention that I won't recommend M&T.

The worst possible place to have a mortgage. I did not pick it. Was transferred to them. I will be done soon and will NEVER recommend them to anyone. How do they get away with it. Example: called 4x for an answer. Each time they said it would be researched and they would get back to me. They never did. That is only one example. STAY AWAY if you can.

M&T has to be the worst bank that I have ever dealt with. We own a small business and had 3 accounts with M&T Bank for the past 5 years (started when they were Provident Bank). Out of the blue we got a call from a company that had an automatic payment from one of the accounts call us to say that they payment did not go through. We were a little surprised since there was over $35,000 in the combined accounts and the bill was $150. My wife called their Customer Service (on the weekend) to see what was going on and they said that their system was down, and to call back on Monday.

When she called on Monday she was told that all of our accounts had been closed by M&T. She was shocked and asked why, and was told that they periodically review business accounts and decide which ones are "worth keeping." They further said that we should have known this because we were sent a letter a month earlier. My wife asked if it was a certified letter and they said no. I was and still am in shock. We have kept an average balance over the years of $25,000 in the accounts and never had an issue, and they close our accounts because they feel we are not worthy of them.

We are going over this afternoon to get a certified check for our balance and read them the riot act. How dare they. Then we will go to either PNC Bank or SunTrust and re-open new accounts. Once that is done we will be writing letters to the M&T Board, the BBB, and anyone else who will listen. I hope this joke of a bank goes under and soon.

Doing business with M&T is not recommended for a multitude of reasons. First of all, their customer service is the worst of all companies still alive today: waiting times of 45min average, rude answers, people sending you through to equally ignorant others all the time etc. Secondly, their processes are 1950s at best; even for a money transaction people start planning conference calls together and it can take days. Thirdly, they fail to communicate what they change to you, so you may find your account completely blocked for no reason, with their IT-system not allowing them to unblock it. Finally, they suggested that I'd identify myself through my lawyer (?), which is costly, not what lawyers are for, and entirely pointless. All in all, don't waste your money on these suckers.

I have disliked M&T bank mortgage since I had my mortgage switched to them when I was having some money problems. I was never a month late but was paying after the deadline for having to pay late payment and I paid those too. If you call they treat you like a criminal saying that anything you say will be used to collect a debt and when I asked about it they say supposedly because they are in New York and is something they have to say for legal reasons. That is very creepy and extremely unfriendly.

Also my payment keeps going up because of shortage of escrow but then they have had to send me money back two years during the last 5yrs. Also they charge for Mortgage insurance even though my payment is made every month before it is due for the last 15 months. I can't wait until I sell my house. I will always stay away from M&T bank. I have had to send a written notice for them not to call me for any reason because I am so offended by the fact they always state that they are there to collect a debt. I had to give them one star to put this review in but they don't deserve one.

M&T Bank Company Profile