Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.16/5

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Generally I am satisfied other than not processing my direct retirement deposit immediately. Other deductions taken from this payment with other institutions are done immediately. This is a Federal payment which should not have any "hold" on it. If the established deposit date is a weekend or holiday The deposit is not shown until the next business day.

Original review: March 13, 2020

M&T helped me refinance when Bank of America was involved in fraudulent behavior. I became ill and needed to refinance. BOA continued to lose my paperwork and eventually sold my loan to M&T. I was as able to refinance upon my first submission of the paperwork.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2020

Easy process. Always someone knowledgeable to talk to. When I wanted to draft my full payment in half they made it very easy. Overall easy to do mortgage business with them. I also had to do a loan modification with them and they made that super easy as well.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

17 charges my child did on my card, all went through my account with negative balance, upon further review of my account I opted out of allowing overdraft to my debit card. They said to me that doesn't apply to my account because I previously made a debit from that website so it is considered a recurring debit and they pay those no matter what I chose on my debit card. They wiped out my bank account and took both my disability checks with all their fees and allowing transactions to go through even though the account was empty and I chose not to have overdrafts on my account basically means nothing. 2 disability checks, in a pandemic and just before Christmas this company took my children's Christmas from them. I have been unable to pay my bills for the past 2 weeks. Horrible company Horrible.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

We had our 30 year mortgage for 10 years when Hurricanes Laura AND Delta hit us. After tarping our entire roof in 1000 degree heat & living off generators for a month to run the AC inside to minimize Sheetrock damage & then putting 12K on a credit card to pay for a roof just so it would stop raining in our house...this lender STILL refused to release any of the insurance funds for repairs. They wouldn't even reimburse us the roof. Said they would only release funds once 100% of repairs were completed. How exactly do they expect people to afford repairs from 2 BACK TO BACK hurricanes when they are holding every penny of the money insurance paid out that was meant to make those repairs?!?

If you go with them for a mortgage you better make sure nothing devastating ever happens to you because this company will kick you when you are at your absolute lowest & doesn’t even apologize for it. It should be a crime what they did to us Laura victims. Homes, businesses, jobs were all destroyed and this lender wouldn't release a dime to help customers here start repairs in their homes. We are refinancing with Quicken to force them to release all our insurance money. Not everyone can do that though. Beware doing any type of business with these inhumane criminals.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

Loan 9/26/2020 through Camping World where we told we could not pay this off for 7 months even though the contract said we could. Borrowed 23,767,95 at 6.74% interest (which is robbery) but we agreed on it because we were gonna pay this off quickly. No account number was available after 2 calls to M & T. in week 1 and week 2. Finally in week 3 a man at M & T Bank (didn't get his name) gives me an account # and P. O. Box to mail payment. I mailed this payment of $17,000 to this P. O. Box in Baltimore 10/17/2020. Around 10/22 or 10/23 I received a Loan statement with 1st Payment due 10/26/2020. I checked my bank account and the $17,000 never cleared the bank. 10/26/2020 it still hadn't cleared so I called M & T Bank around 10AM.

She, Nicole, said they didn't receive it that the P. O. Box # he gave me was their title department which was upstairs from her and they claim they never received it. I am not happy as interest is climbing on this loan. She was rude to me and acting as if I were a child. I make arrangements to pay the $17,000 through her and give her my bank info. Now I have to stop payment ($33 charge) on my check. NOW all this time I am paying interest on the full loan instead of less the $17,000. THEY WILL NOT TAKE MY DEBIT CARD FOR PAYMENT which would not have 1-3 days waiting for my payment to clear while the interest is still accumulating.

I was so frustrated and decided to go to my local bank and get a loan (at 3.5% interest) on my 2017 Mustang, which was paid off, to pay this loan in full. No problem, money to pay it off was in my account within about 1/2 hour. I get home, call again and get Tosha who tells me she can't give me a payoff until the $17,000 clears. I am so confused as the interest is going to continue until they decide when it clears. They will not call my bank, use my debit card. It's a road block to jack up what I pay. I argue with her that I want a payoff today and she has to give me a payoff amount. She tells me because it is after 2:30pm they have to charge me another day's interest because it can't go through until tomorrow. I ask for her supervisor.

She talks to the supervisor then tells me payoff is 23903.63. The difference is 6,903.63 so I tell her I want to pay that to pay it off and be done with it. She says that won't pay it off because the $17,000 hasn't cleared and may take 1-3 days with interest until it clears. I try to get her reasoning on this and I get more attitude. I ask to speak to her supervisor AGAIN. I am put on hold, I am frustrated and I give my husband the phone. It takes about 5 minutes and Alissa (finally a pleasant person) listens as my husband explains what is happening. He then puts me back on the phone to explain in detail since I handle the finances.

She informs me they are not set up to take debit cards and Camping World has told other customers they can't pay their loans off for 6 months WHICH IS NOT TRUE! She said because it was after 2:30pm they have to charge me another day's interest because it can't go through until tomorrow. I would never recommend CAMPING WORLD nor M&T BANK. FINALLY PAID OFF and the title will be coming in about a month.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

Note from insurance dept. Deductible of homeowner policy not to exceed maximum of 5% of policy coverage. Present deductible is 4%. Customer service not able to clarify. Verbal contact with insurance dept next to impossible within a reasonable amount of time. Questionable ethical considerations here.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I have banked here for 25 years but suddenly every time I use Zelle I get blocked and receive a dumb email about suspicious activity. Yesterday they blocked me from ordering online think! I have called them multiple times and they always override it but now say they can't. I think M&T continuously blocking my zelle contractions while simultaneously encouraging its use and then refusing to override the security block is suspicious activity. I work two full time jobs and I resent M&T holding my money hostage and am taking my business elsewhere and will be closing all my accounts with M&T very soon.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Well first of all, they never communicated with me at all on initial loan. I had to call them to find out how and when my invoices would come to me. When I called them they were rude and very cold. Also could not give me a straight answer. The loan it self is confusing. I have had numerous home, auto, boat, jet ski and travel trailer loans and I have never seen this one set up the way it is. There is no consistency at all on how the interest and principal is charged. Now this being my second travel trailer, my other creditor that was used, charged the same interest monthly and as the principal went down so did the interest slightly.

With these guys I have had the loan for 5 months now and the deductions are all over the board. Here is an example. First month interest on loan was $66, the next month was $96.78, next month $81.58, next month $68.89, and 5th month $90.54 for an average of $80.76 a month. Now explain this to me, the first month interest should had been $75.69, 2nd $75.31, and so on, slowly declining with payment towards principal going up. Anyone explain that one to me, I will never recommend this company to anyone, EVER. Looks like they are trying to get most of their interest up front, so to me that is worst than the mafia.

Original review: July 28, 2020

They screwed up and said payment was not there so we stopped payment on check and made another one. 1:36 am the check clears and they are now holding the extra payment hostage knowing I need meds and groceries. They are lying pieces of work. They now are going to make me wait another week to get funds because they are sending check by mail instead of putting it in my account. They know I need that for my medicine and groceries. Been a week without medication and now no groceries. I have never been late 9n payment in 5 yrs and they act like I am a thief. They are heartless, lying people.

M&T Bank Company Information