2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (249 ratings)

About M&T Bank

M&T Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

When I try to pay my card online, I get a message saying that they don't have bank to bank transfers set up yet. When I call to pay it, I get cut off and told they can not go further with helping me because I didn't give the correct credit limit amount. I will end all business with this bank, too inconvenient.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I spent an hour and 10 minutes trying to speak to someone at the bank today. I paid off my loan 2 days ago and was trying to get a receipt so I could show they received my funds. They refused and stated it wasn't their policy that I should receive something in 10 business days. I repeated, "You took my money correct." They replied yes. I replied, "I'm entitled to a receipt." They continued to refuse to help or care in any way. On top of taking an hour to reach someone and their website rarely working correctly I would encourage you to use a bank that cares about customers.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I have been banking with M&T for a little over 3 years. I’ve been charged thousands of dollars in overdraft fees when at the time of the debit purchase the funds are available. I had a car payment setup for check which takes about 3-5 business days to post and at the time due to the debit transactions I was short 100 dollars which my app did not indicate. After the check posted they charged me 38.50 for every debit transactions that was made days before which made my balance lower to overdraft in the first place. I received over 10 fees in that pay period alone. I called and they offered me one. In theory from their response if the debit transactions were pending and did not post my check shouldn’t have cause an overdraft. In my opinion I should have only been charged for the actual transaction that overdraft the account. I let them get away with it for years, I am currently looking into doing something legally.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I deposited $3000 in cash thru the drive thru and was questioned where I got it from? I have banked with them for 20 years and have three accounts! They acted as if I was a criminal depositing money into my acct.!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

So I am now having to check my account every single day, and I do a screenshot because M&T have been gaslighting me, backdating transactions, and charging me exorbitant fees for years. They'll hold transactions in pending (for example, a transaction that came through today), but they will back date the charge as coming through the day before so they can overdraw your account (my direct deposit for my payroll is deposited every single Tuesday but they hold that in pending too). Then they charge $38.50 for each transaction they "bounce" thus bringing you further in arrears. This is shady and they have done it before. In fact, there was a class action lawsuit against them doing this before.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

Do not finance with M&T Bank for a car loan. The dealer got me financing through what they called their floor bank. I should have been taken notice of this word "Floor Bank" they used to describe the finance bank. It is one step off the floor. I don't even think it is that high, it's more like dirt floor. The first issue with the bank was trying to get my loan number. I called several times with vin number, SSN, address, date of birth, loan amount, but did not have the payment date. They wouldn't give me my loan number. On the 3rd call they finally gave me the number of my account so I could make payment. Now each time I called I was on hold for at least 15 min or more. Was extremely frustrated with the bank so far. I decided to pay off the loan in full.

I called the bank to get a 10 day payoff. They couldn't email this document to me, they said they didn't have that ability yet. They actually had to fax it to me. This is a good sign of technology here. So I cut them a check for the full amount one day before my 1st payment is due. So the loan is closed and they also took my monthly payment on the same date. So I have now overpaid them by a large amount of money. I called them several times about this issue and they tell me the loan was closed and they have no record of the monthly payment.

I finally had to send them the processed check with their ISN bank number on the back of it. 6 more calls to the bank and now I get transferred to a supervisor each time. That is an additional wait of 10 min or more on top of the original 15 min wait. So we finally get the matter resolved and they cut a check. They then hold on to the check for 6 business days to attach a letter and then mail it out to me. Real nice of them to address the letter to me correctly but make the check out to Carol instead of Carl. Just more underhanded delays from this bank. Total time to resolve this was 56 business days. M&T - THE DIRT FLOOR BANK....

Original review: July 30, 2021

As a person who endured a life changing event. This had a negative impact on my credit. However, after opening up an M & T account. I then was able to borrow against my own money that I invested to rebuild my credit. The banking services are superior and have been great! Thanks to M & T the path to homeownership was made possible. You won’t be disappointed in their products and services.

Original review: July 23, 2021

We had an insurance claim made and approved by our insurance company. They had to issue the check to me and M+T Bank. 6/2/2021 I sent the check as directed to their overnight address. Received a letter dated 6/10/2021 requesting a detailed work order from the shop who will do the repairs (even though I was never told initially that this was needed when sending in the check). Per Tracking, they received the WO on 7/9/2021 via mail overnight. 7/16/2021, was told they never received it (even though I have proof they did). I asked for a fax number and sent the WO and other documentation to them again. 7/23/2021 and 3 more calls I have no information on where the check is and why I haven't received it. UNACCEPTABLE! Never will I deal with M+T Bank again and once I receive the check, I will be getting a personal loan and pay M+T bank off ASAP!

Original review: July 12, 2021

My husband and I bought our RV and were so excited about it until we began making payments with M&T Bank, which picked up the loan through the dealer. The payment was low, $220 or so, so in an attempt to pay the loan off quicker, we decided to make $300 monthly payments, assuming the additional $80 or so dollars was going to principal only payments. But, apparently, M&T does not do that, they take more interest and push your due date further out, not apply to principal. So, after 15 months of this nonsense, I paid off the loan in the amount of about $26k.

The day after I paid it off, I tried to go online to check that the payoff had been received and print some kind of confirmation that it was a zero balance, but, my access was cut off because my account was now closed. This was June 18th. On July 7th, these crooks took a payment from my checking account that was set up online (again, no access to cancel it), and now are telling I have to wait two weeks for the refund to be processed to get my money returned to me. And, somehow this is my fault that I did not cancel the payment that was taken 3 weeks after the loan was paid in full. So, my question is, does this amount to theft in anyone else's mind???

I cannot tell you how many calls I have made and emails I have sent to the brain dead and uncaring customer service department. My advice is NEVER use this bank, if you can even call them a bank. They are thieves and robber-barrens, not in the business of taking care of their customers on any level. HOW DOES A BANK LIKE THIS EVEN STAY IN BUSINESS WITH NO REPERCUSSIONS???

Original review: July 7, 2021

I have had savings and checking accounts with M & T for years now. Lately, the service has gotten worse. Today it hit bottom. I have had paperless statements only for quite some time. Today I got a paper statement in the mail, and it was addressed to my spouse, who is NOT on this account, which is private. Why now? Try getting an email address to manage the issue? Forget it! Phone call to customer service- 20+ minutes wait, and I was cut off two times. Maybe the local branch manager's name to email? Cannot find the name anywhere! Online "other ways to connect"- nada.

Imagine if I was an abused spouse, and my spouse seeing my personal banking could literally endanger my life. The only other M & T account I have is the mortgage, with my spouse, so he opened what he thought was a mortgage statement when he saw his name on the envelope. Service is awful, "connection" is a joke, and it's time to leave this unprofessional bank.

M&T Bank Company Information