1.15/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

M&T Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

M&T Bank Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

James ** that heads the retention department and Cathy ** who heads asset department have placed a repossession on my credit. They picked up my car without my consent when all the payments are current and I have never missed a single payment. Account is still current and I can never get anyone to respond to my call. Also they refuse to give me their emails and never give me the bank statements. This is the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life. Currently am still looking to see who in the bank to report this customer abuse but I cannot reach anyone.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Absolutely the worst bank we ever had to deal with. Too much to write in a few sentences but everything from their billing practices, payments and even customer service. Would never EVER use them again. Switching our car loan as we speak.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

We had someone use my husband's bank card to order items from various companies. We contacted the bank when the charges were still pending to report they were fraudulent. This was a Sunday. On Monday my husband contacted the companies and three of them were able to contact their delivery company and recall the packages. The fourth never processed the order because something about it set off their fraud alert. This totaled over $900. The company that did not process the order did not charge our account. The other three companies have confirmed they have spoken to M&T and verified they have their items. None of these charges went beyond pending.

However, M & T has yet to release this money to us. It has been almost three weeks. They told us it could take 3 months!! WHY? The companies have confirmed they have their merchandise. What else does M & T need to verify?? When I order an item they sure take my money right away but they can't give it back for three months!! I will be switching banks. We have been customers with them for over 20 years. This is how they treat loyal customers.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

This is the worst bank ever. The mortgage modification process has been incredibly frustrating and abusive. Nobody should have to go through what I went through and they still don't have it right. These little creeps sit in their offices collecting their paychecks and drive people crazy with unprecedented levels of incompetence. Excessive hold times, transfer after transfer, lack of organization, nothing ever confirmed in writing, changes to the amounts due, additions to the principal, escrow amounts unclear, asking for the same paperwork repeatedly. A total nightmare. Moreover, when I filed the paperwork they denied me within one week. When I retained an attorney, she submitted the same papers and they approved the loan. I have just filed a complaint with the Banking Department.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have been banking with M&T bank since 2000. Recently, M&T Bank has required disclosure of detailed personal information from its customers. The reps from the bank tell customers that it's a requirement under Federal Law to disclose this information to the bank. If the customer does not provide this detailed disclosure of personal information, the bank UNILATERALLY freezes the customer's funds and assets.

First, this type of disclosure that the bank requires is NOT a Federal legal requirement. It's the bank's interpretation of Federal law, and other banks do not require the same type of disclosure. By telling customers that such disclosure is a Federal law requirement, M&T is materially misrepresenting information to their customers. (I am a lawyer, btw.) My guess is that M&T is capitalizing on the sale of customer data, like many other companies that are privy to large amounts of personal data. When I questioned a M&T supervisor named Sara(h) about this issue, she had to gall to tell me that it is "my privilege" to be banking with M&T.... You do realize that M&T offers exactly the same service as EVERY OTHER BANK, don't you? Needless to say, I will be seeking banking services elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about M&T Bank?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I am aware that mortgage companies have protocols they follow, but I believe common sense should trump protocols in certain cases. My home is in pre foreclosure (I lost my job and got 4 months behind). I finally decided to sell the home when I could not come up with the 12,000+ to get caught up on payments, as I have/had a substantial amount of equity in the home (80k). M&T Bank will not even consider postponing the foreclosure auction date by one week, even though I have received an above market value offer on my home through a real estate agent. Because of ”protocols”, M&T will now lose money (auction vs. full loan payoff), my family of 5 will lose all the equity we have in the home, and I will have a foreclosure on my credit.

I have called every department, asked to speak to supervisor after supervisor, filled out all the required (extensive) paperwork, yet they refuse to postpone the auction date by even a few days for the buyer and the buyer’s lender to secure a closing date. I am just appalled that a company like M&T Bank would allow “protocols” to trump good business sense. Thank you for letting me share.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I opened my account online October 22, 2019. Today is Nov 26, 2019. As of today, my account has been open for 1month and 4 days. Prior to opening my account online I was asked to deposit $25 at the branch or transfer it from my other account which is with another bank. Since then I have transferred all of my money from that bank account that I used to bank with to M&T. In addition to closing out my other account M&T has caused me so much financial problems, cause my credit score to drop because of negligence from the security department.

Today is November 26. I spoke with someone at the 1800 customer service line for M&T and the representative that I spoke with put me on hold to speak to someone at the security department. After speaking to someone from that department he then relayed a message telling me that the security department said that my documents were fake. That was the reason why they never took the security block off of my account and that I needed to email them the copies of my Verizon bill, my ID and my Social Security card.

I have sent them my birth certificate. I sent them my credit card statement even sent them a statement where they had caused my credit score to drop. They almost caused me to be evicted. Now I have to go to court for a late payment of rent because they failed to send me any documentation requesting that I needed to go to the branch to take my documents in to prove identity of who I am. Which I have been in the branch requested for my card, gave the representative at the branch my driver's license, social security card. I even gave them an updated copy of my Verizon bill. I gave them a bank statement from my credit union. I gave them my Registrations to my car with my address attached on it.

After providing all of my documentations of proof of residence, proof of identity the banker then issued me an expedite card and waiving the fees because it’s been since October 22, 2019 without a card. After doing all of that I receive my new card in the mail. After activating my new card I went to the ATM machine and was still unable to use my card. Been unable to use my card.

It was very frustrating to me because my work schedule didn’t fit along with the bank hours or the security department hours and when I finally got a chance to talk to someone I called the 1800 number today which is November 26, 2019 at 8:19am and when I spoke to the representative he had reached out to the security department and whomever the representative spoke with had advised him that the reason the account is still blocked is because the documents I was advised to fax over didn’t look real and I asked to speak to a supervisor and Rachel reached out to the department inquiring about my account and the security department told her to give me their email address so I can email them the documents over.

Once I emailed them all documents I reached out to the 1800 again asking if the security department received all documents and they said yes. At 3pm I called again to see if they have lifted the block on my account and they said yes and I asked them to call the security department before they closed at 4pm to make sure. After being put on hold for almost 30 minutes the representative hung up on me. I called back and once I called back I clocked out 5 hours earlier on my job just to meet the branch hours as I was calling the 1800 the recording said this account has been closed with absolutely no notification. Why Not one person said that, "Ms. ** we're closing your account and will be mailing you your check." I knew nothing about any of the transactions that were made by the security department guy STEVE. I’m looking to hire a lawyer for this discrimination matter.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I decided to finally open an account at M&T due to a branch being close to my home and me always visiting the branch to cash my employment checks. I received my banking card around last month and ever since I received it I have had issues with the card due to the chip not working and most stores not having the tap to pay system. Most recently every time I used my card it would be reported as a suspicious activity. I made a recent deposit and went back to get cash out and my payment was declined. I tried to cash app my daughter who is in college and again declined. Money was in my account but it was again reported as suspicious.

I contacted the number on my card. Waited for 40 minutes only to be told no one was available. I contacted the rep and she shared if I go back to the as atm I should have access to my account and if not to call them back... Again card not working. I'm very frustrated and prepared to close my account as nothing should be considered suspicious to my account unless I think it's suspicious, not the bank!!!! I asked the rep, "How do you file a complaint?" And she said only through her... At this time I will be considering closing this account, have never went through this before.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

My commercial loan was up for a renewal. Chris from M and T did the loan. After the closing costs of $2,483.50 Chris said the payment would be $2,612.29 debited from our checking account each month. Mind you this is a 5 year renewal and would be the end of the loan after that period. I received my 1st statement and the amount to be debited was $3,830.36 so I called him and questioned it. He replied, "Oh that's not right. Let me check into it." Then he was out on leave and never got back to me, so I called the manager of the Cherry Hill N.J. branch Frank and he said he will look into it. Finds out Chris never spoke or disclosed to us that the taxes and insurance had to be added to that. Well $1,200.00 is a big chunk of money not to disclose to us.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I am a person that lives paycheck to paycheck. M&T is allowing funds to come out of my account when I asked them not to. In addition charging a $38+ Insufficient fund fee for money I specifically told them not to take out. It doesn’t take a college graduate to figure out that if it isn’t there then there is no money to pay out. Them doing this is going to cause a chain reaction of other problem. This is theft in my eyes. Way to think about the consumers M&T NOT!!!!

M&T Bank Company Information