1.21/5

104 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

There is no way to put travel alert online. I had to call and the travel alert could be of maximum 30 days. After 30 days, I had to call internationally and verify all the security questions but still they had to transfer me to a specialist because I could not do text verification. International calls are expensive. Why would they not accept my verification when I can already log into the account and also verify their codes and my social security, card, security number and everything? How could I do a text verification when I am abroad and do not have access to my number/texts? Pathetic.

On return I found out that they were double dipping. I always try to pay on time and for last two months, they took money out twice. With all other banks, if I set up for autopayment but want to pay early, they would just acknowledge the payment and not make payment twice. It took me 21 minutes to connect to credit card service. Amazing! And they can't fix all the problems and you'd have to call back during the daytime. This card is worth nothing! I should stick my Chase Sapphire, Ventura and Discover.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Had a checking account with them & took out a 5 year loan for $3000 back in December 2012. My account got compromised in May 2016 & was closed by them. The amount I got wasn't enough to pay all my expenses. My VA check was sent back making all my bills late including the loan with them. Got caught up fairly quick on all including the loan with them. Was within 2 payments of having it paid in full & they added $1499 to it in December 2017. Have made 1 of the 2 remaining payments plus I've made a payment to a collection agency. They continue to mail me letters from their recovery department saying to call them. Am not going to do so as one of the credit reporting agencies states it's 100% paid while the other 2 shows it's 52% paid.

Am going to make that final payment before the end of the year & am including a note stating they won't be receiving any more payments from me as I haven't any more payment coupons left. Am not going to contact them regarding that account as it's paid in full & the next letter I get from them is one stating it's paid in full because it will be.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had/have a business account with Huntington Bank. There were some fraudulent charges on my account. After submitting proof that this transaction was not legitimate they assured me the charges were reversed and I had nothing to worry about. They canceled my card and issued me another one. Then 3 months later they decided the charges were legit even with proof they weren't, AND I'm being charged $36 every 48 hours that I don't pay it. I currently owe $160 for a $75 illegal payment, they refuse to close my account until I pay AND they can continue to charge me $36 every 2 days... better READ THAT FINE PRINT... THEY LIE, THEY'RE THIEVES!??

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I asked Huntington TWICE to transfer money over to a different account after I retired. After the 3rd time calling them and the other bank account, Huntington never transferred my money and they closed the account, without record of the account period.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Take dormant accounts warnings seriously! Many states, like Ohio, have laws to channel money from accounts of the deceased to the state. In the case of Huntington National Bank ("Huntington" ), "under state law" it reports an account as "dormant" (First step in the $$ going to the State) if you have no transaction with that account for 11 or more months and IF, and only if, 1) the account is not "linked" to an "active account;" 2) You do not have another "active" account with Huntington; or 3) you do not inquire of them about the account during that period. Note that all three of these conditions would indicate that you are not dead.

All three conditions that bar dormant status applied to our money market account in question: 1) It WAS linked to an active (checking) account (confirmed several times by Huntington); 2) I and my wife did write to Huntington and telephoned its representatives multiple times about the account after the false claim that has become "dormant": and 3) We (still and temporarily) HAVE other active accounts with Huntington. So, one could reasonably conclude that we are not dead yet.

Nevertheless, we received an email (Unsigned. No return mail or email address. Email replies not allowed. Entity sending not identified) stating that in a few weeks our money market account would go "dormant" with several adverse consequences (The ultimate loss of the account balance was NOT mentioned, but the statute ultimately requires it.)

You are not allowed by Huntington to communicate with the "dormant accounts department" which is driving this lash-up - only with the utterly clueless "customer service representatives," who do not even understand the issue, much less have reasoned answers. And, no, they will not transfer your call to someone who can rationally discuss the matter. Huntington ignores everything you point out and grinds on down the path to, ultimately, sending your money to the State. Just after we received the initial "dormant account" warning, the local Huntington branch Manager, familiar with our business with Huntington entities, assured me, face-to-face, that we could ignore that notice because, "obviously," the account was not "dormant."

In the almost two months after I pointed out his assurances in one of my letters to Huntington, he utterly ceased to be available to speak to me by telephone or in person. (I do hope he did not get in trouble for being right. He is the only Huntington representative who comes off looking anything like "customer focused," and he knew the Huntington rules on dormant accounts, when no other Huntington representative I have reached has had a clue.)

Even in response to the federal banking authorities (the useless Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) the only communication from Huntington, signed by their primary company advocate "Sue ** "[Ironically mistitled "Customer Advocate"]) mindlessly repeated the conclusory, "The above-mentioned [account]... is in an inactive status...," ignoring the several reasons why it is not dormant under Huntington's published practices or the state statute. (Is "inactive" other than "dormant" or does the writer simply not know the Huntington terminology?) She attached one month's bank record to prove a year's inactivity. All the records prove is that the account in question is "linked" to an active account, precluding dormancy under Huntington's published practices or Ohio law.)

Additionally, at least two other Huntington reps told me on the telephone that, although knowing nothing about the issue, they could see that our money market account was not dormant. Their reasoning to that, correct, conclusion is unknown. We gave up and closed the account before Huntington could send our money to the State. Guess we are alive after all, reports of our deaths being exaggerated and all that. Others should be warned about this arrogant company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

A personal check written to a creditor was stolen first week of July 2018 either from a drop box at postal branch or some other way? Doesn't matter! What mattered was finding out the check had been altered/forged over 08-16-2018 then talked to over a dozen people over the phone who said they were bankers?? Each one I talked to over the next several days told me something different but not one gave me all the information I needed! Then when I went to branch in frustration, they said I couldn't do anything till they had a police report filed. So that I did.

Then back to branch office where they said nothing??? Then they got upset because I got angry and yelled. Go figure. Now it is 09-14-2018 and my money has not been returned to my account, and they tell me I have to fill out an affidavit as well, even though police have already identified person who stole check?? It's been one big mess for me at 67 years old, never had anything like this happen ever before and it really is disgusting to be treated as I have by a bank I have used for over 5 years!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been a happy customer with Huntington for about 15 years, but their customer service seems to have declined recently. Huntington has a lot of ATMs, however too often they are out of cash or are not working. They refuse to waive other ATM fees in these instances. I would like a bank where I can access my money when I need it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Never apply for a business loan with this bank. They don’t know what they do. Its just back and forward and don’t go anywhere. Jeremy ** business loan administration make me signed the same document 3 times and every time the docs was wrong. What the heck with this people.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I got a auto loan with Huntington through a dealership. Dumb mistake! They gave me a 6.4% interest rate! I have a 760 credit score! They never sent me any letters welcoming me to the bank or providing my account details. I figured it all out by going online. But that was terrible too! You have to CALL THEM to enroll in auto-pay! AND you have to print of a letter, fill it out, and mail it back within so many days! WHY EVEN HAVE AN ONLINE SITE!!! After several disappointing calls, I find I have a pay-off penalty of $500+! I decided that was the last straw and refinance the loan through my personal bank.

Huntington RECEIVED THE CHECK but sent it BACK to my bank!!! They said they didn't know how to apply it! They never called me and said my bank was unwilling to help when they called and faxed. The check was sent to Huntington with a letter stating what it was for and had my information and signature. Now Huntington is happily collecting daily interest while I try to get it paid off... AGAIN!!! They are willingly incompetent in order to steal even more interest and increased pay-off penalty! DO NOT BANK WITH HUNTINGTON!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

So I've been with them for a few years now and I am extremely upset with them. I get paid every week and I know how much money I earn. I pay my bills and go out for lunch before shopping for essentials. On multiple occasions, the fast food transaction will show up right away and I spend what I have left. Then a few days later it disappears from my transactions without refunding the money for the transaction. It then shows up days later and puts my account in the negative. When I tried contacting them about it, they told me it was my fault and I need to balance a checkbook better.

I was pissed because it shouldn't be my fault for their system messing up and their attitude to fix the issue was nasty. I have added up my deposits and transactions and it shows I had enough money for everything and they are stealing money from me because they aren't depositing the money from the hidden transactions before taking it out again. So basically I am being charged twice for one transaction. I would bank elsewhere. It's not just fast food, it can happen to any type of transaction but most often on the fast food ones.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I've been with Huntington Bank for over a yr. now. I have a basic checking acct. with them. The branch I go to is in a grocery store near my home and the times they are open are ideal for me. I really liked the online banking, but I've been locked out of my account. I've tried to unlock it using the computer, over the phone and even in person but nothing has worked and they've pretty much told me it's my problem. Shouldn't a customer's problem be theirs too?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

One of the worst experiences in banking. As a realtor I have closed dozens of loans. My HELOC loan is at ONE MONTH, waiting on closing. Michael **

NMLS # ** has been useless getting answers about why the delay, only responding that we are in final underwriting (3 weeks) and he will let me know when we are ready to close. AVOID.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I paid off my loan in June, 2018 and as of August 2018, I still do not have my vehicle title. I have called multiple times and get different answers from everyone I talk with. Each person tells me the title will be released and it will be 4-5 business days. I have even talked with supervisors of the Customer Service department. It has been 38 days and I still do not have a lien release OR my vehicle title. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife and I received a letter stating that our checking acct. was being closed for, what they say is (risk tolerance). So we proceeded to call our branch office and talked to branch manager who we have dealt with many times before. He told us he had no knowledge of it being closed but would check and find out what the problem is. At that time we called the number on the letter for question and got a voicemail telling us to leave name and number and they will call back. Great customer service! But now that I've read many reviews about Huntington Bank I can see why they couldn't answer the phone when I called, they are probably are taking care of other complaints many, many. So the next day rolls around and they call, the lady I talked to ask me my name, address, acct. number and at that time I asked her (who I'm I speaking with?) she REFUSED to tell me her name!!! Unfreaking real!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

YOU WORK CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WON'T GIVE YOUR NAME? Let me compliment you Stephen S. and your whole executive team for assembly of this fine customer service. I also asked her (customer service lady I was speaking to) for an identifying number and again she said NO. So I asked why my checking acct. was be closed and what RISK TOLERANCE meant, she had no answer. Again I asked what it meant and again she had no answer for me, what a total waste of my time. NOBODY has any answers for us. It's too bad that there's not an email address to one of the executive team/board members to let them know how lousy their people are that are working in the Columbus office here in Ohio.

So now today my wife and I are going to another bank to open acct. and switch all auto withdrawals over. I guess this is the treatment you get after be with Huntington Bank since I was 18... I'm now 62. THANK YOU HUNTINGTON BANK AND THE ENTIRE EXECUTIVE TEAM. But don't feel bad. You will now get FREE ADVERTISING from my wife and I via Facebook and everybody we talk to for this unclear mess you people created.

Original review: July 31, 2018

This bank will RIP you off in fees. They hold back debut transactions for days and then charge your account to putting your account in the negative to charge overdraft fees. They have done me like this several times over the years I have been with them. I'm done...

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am done with place. I have been hacked 2 times within a year and rarely use my card. I was hacked today and I get text alerts when I use my card. My phone went off showing activity and then again so I drove to the bank at the end of my street and as I went in it went off again and I showed the manager who was on his way to lunch. I said, “Please help, they are taking my money and it went off again.” He says, “Well I'm on my way to lunch but will help you.” So my card goes off again as he sits down slowly and says, “So how can I help you.” I'm like, “Look, do something before they suck my account dry.” So he finally logs in and stops my card but by then they got me for over $500 dollars and then he says that no matter what the charges with go through.

I'm like, “You saw my phone go off with charges as I sat here.” He says, “Well that's the way it is.” They will let the charges all go through and take the money out of my account and then dispute them and he says, "if we decide they were not you, within 90 days the money will go back in your account." Now I see why hackers would target them as no matter what, they let the charges post and go through. I even called the security number on my card in Ohio and she said the same thing. Total BS. I am going to my Credit Union or Chase. Please beware of this bank.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My graduating high school class has had an account at Huntington Bank for over 20 years. Over four years ago, we switched the names on the account so that I could be a money manager for my class. I stopped in to let them know I had a new mailing address and they told me my account was closed and that the money was sent to the state of Michigan. Mind you, we have had this account for many years and we only use it every 5 years. This is such **. Why, after all these years, did they close it? Also, why didn't they reach out to my email address or cell number they had on record? The state says they don't have the funds and Huntington doesn't have it. Way to go Huntington!!! By the sound of all these reviews, it doesn't sound like they will be around much longer...

Original review: July 25, 2018

This bank is really slick and they will rob you! I was charged 23.00 all in the same day 4 times. Me knowing I’m going to overdraft I had 32.00 left in my account and I put about 64 dollars into my gas tank which caused it to overdraft. They charge an overdraft fee for each transactions. So that should equal to one transaction which is one overdraft fee. These slick stealing ** gone tell me other transactions are causing the multiple charge of overdraft fees. When I know for a fact I overdrafted once when I got the gas. But they are telling me there were four transactions that didn’t post yet and the gas posted before the other transactions did. So therefore they charge me an overdraft fee for the items which is **. You ** are stealing. I’m canceling this bank today. I’m not giving you ** back!!?

Original review: July 21, 2018

I paid off my auto loan with Huntington Bank early. I have been trying to get a lien release on my vehicle for almost two weeks. They have been no help. I have called several times (8) to try to get this released with no real help from any of the reps or supervisors. Each time I call they have told me that I needed to do something different. I asked to speak directly with the department and was told the lien release department would not take any calls and they would put in a request.

I called back and am told that it has not been processed and I can submit another request. I always thought banks were a service industry. I have spoken with my local bank and they have tried to help with this. Huntington, although they have been very nice and told me and my bank they would work on this Huntington has not done anything to help this process along. The last time I spoke with them I informed them they need to look at their processes and policies. I reminded them they are only in business if people use their services. I guess I am old school, I always thought you took care of your customers to keep their business but, I guess times have changed. As consumers who pay for services we all need to keep in mind that we have a responsibility to let service industries know if they are not meeting our needs and Huntington Bank has not meet my needs on this issue.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I paid my car off and they took money out still and won't give me it back for 5 days. It's paid for you morons. Can't believe them. Way to start my weekend off. I will not deal with them anymore and they don't care if they keep losing customers.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My purse, along with my credit and debit cards were stolen and wouldn't ya know it, Huntington has been a complete NIGHTMARE to deal with!!! First it took them 3 weeks to "conditionally" refund the money that was stolen. Second, took another 2 weeks to issue a new card and when they do, they cancelled that one too stating it had been "lost". Third, they also cancelled my husband's card for NO REASON!!! But refused to speak to me about it because I was not him! Even though we have a joint account they stated that they could not give me information on, "his portion of the account"!! REALLY??? HIS portion of a JOINT account??? And exactly who gave them the right to decide what is his portion and what is my portion I would like to friggin know???

This bank does NOT work for the customer at all!!! It's bad enough that I had to deal with the nightmare of having my things and money stolen, what's been even worse is that my bank, that I MISTAKENLY thought I could trust has made me feel like I am continuously getting robbed every time I turn around!!! I WILL be pulling my money out and going elsewhere post-haste!! I urge ya'll to do the same!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Presently, my wife and I have, originality $ 294.000 in a money market with a 1% A.P.Y. ( F.D.I.C.), return @ Huntington. We recently withdrew $ 50.000 for a more competitive rate @ 1.75$ A.P.Y. ( F.D.I.C.) After spending an hour on the phone, talking to a customer service spokesperson; she in turn contacted 3 others. No deal was reached. Their competition in the money market category all are 1.75% or higher. The communication process to negotiate any % rate is 0. A take it or leave it attitude. The communication process for new business ie: home mortgages, c.d. car loans, etc. is greatly appreciated. At my new account, % rate change monthly, Huntington the same. I cannot understand how they keep money from going out.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Never been through so many hoops! This place is ridiculous. Slow, They ask for the same things two three times. I honestly believe these people do not communicate within the business. Went to my CREDIT UNION and things were done in no time. Huntington Bank should focus more on customer service.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am only giving one star because I have to. After 15 years of being a loyal customer both personally and for our small business, we had an employee steal from us. The person is currently being prosecuted, has a he used the atm so there is undeniable proof of every transaction. Huntington has considered the charges were approved and refused to look into it. We will be transferring banks. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was a FirstMerit customer -- When they were bought out by Huntington I went along with them. They constantly allow these charges knowing I do not have the money to pay. The only reason I have stuck with them is that my VA check goes Direct Deposit to them. I have paid almost 2000 dollars in these overdraft fees - I have filed several disputes for charges I did not make w/ no action taken and no explanation. I will change as soon as I can.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Deposited an old forgotten check with Huntington. Was assured by mgr. of branch everything was o.k. A week later, received a copy of the check, and was advised amount was withdrawn from my account. Tried to call the 800 number of the form, and surprised it was for Chase Bank. Went to branch, the mgr is off today. I have dealt here for 15 years and like the personnel, but can't figure this one. They have my check, told me no problem, then deduct the amount of the check from my account. Seems shady to me.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I paid off my car loan with a cashier's check on June 29, 2018. Today is July 6 and Huntington Bank has still not released the lien on my vehicle. They are keeping me from being able to sell my car. I am thinking about filing a lawsuit. I am livid. Do not get a car loan from this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been banking with the Huntington National Bank since 1991. I am sad to say this is the first time I will have to bank without them. I have moved to the West Coast where they are not yet here. I believe in a honest word and handshake is your bond. The HNB is just that bank. In all of my dealings banking, loans, credit cards, mortgage and whatever else they offer is worth having. I miss my bank and hope that they acquire something out here. I will be their first customer. Thank you HNB for some very good years. I hope someone from HNB sees this as they deserve a standing ovation for their honest work helping people trust in banking. The pens were a great idea!!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I made a monthly car payment and then another separate payment for principal only. I had requested a receipt for the extra principal payment. I never received it. I then called and asked them to send me a receipt and they refused to do so. I have NO proof they put the principal only payment to my account. Customer service person was very short and rude to me. I feel this was a very simple request on my part but Huntington would not send or email me a receipt. They have no idea where my money went. I would never recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: June 7, 2018

If there were options to give -0 stars I would give it. I have been trying to cancel my escrow for 3 months. I began the process back in early April. The first excuse of the bank is that I had not had my mortgage open longer than 1 year. After 1 year, which was 10 days later, they said that they will re-review it which I believe they did not without me calling in again. Next request was to fax in a letter requesting it, and once I requested it via fax then they would mail me papers to fill out in order to cancel.

After completing that, the problem became there was a small balance of -132.00 which held up the cancellation. This amount was then paid, and then I again expected the escrow to canceled. The problem then became the auto debit was automatically canceled due to the escrow cancellation request so, the monthly payment including an incorrectly analyzed escrow payment needed to be made in order to cancel the escrow. Needless to type the escrow is still not canceled, and they want me to overpay almost twice the mortgage principal and interest payment in order to cancel my escrow. The customer services and mortgage department related to the escrow analyzing is awful. The mortgage department has displayed incompetence, unprofessionalism, disorganization and rudeness throughout this entire incomprehensible madness.

Huntington Bank Company Information