2.38/5

150 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I got a certified letter in the mail today stating they are closing my account. I called the number on the letter and got a voicemail. Finally got a callback and they told me they were closing my account and would not disclose the reason. My account is used to pay bills and shop online like any normal person. I don’t understand what the reasoning is for closing my account. I guess they are not making any money off of me. Worst bank ever!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Worst lender I have ever experienced in my 45 years of life. There should be a zero star or a negative star! They don't even deserve 1 star. I recently had a loan (Home Equity Line of Credit). The process was horrible and slow the processor from KY was rude and I felt he did want to help speed up the process, there was a lot of unnecessary wait. I knew they were rude in the first week of dealing with them, but at that time they had already ran my credit and decided to take live with their rudeness and it got worse. I hated every minute and every second of the transaction.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I'm not a customer of Huntington Bank but use their ATM. Made a withdraw. Did not disburse my money. Tried calling them several times. And all they said was, "Dispute with your bank." It was their ATM that made the mistake. And they've got my money. What a great bank. Now I know I don't bank with them. Oh and yeah their ATM said my transaction was canceled. But my bank shows the withdraw.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I opened a new account. I was told my deposit would partially be available in two days, the balance in 5. Got home to find they put my account on full hold. I cannot access through online, through atm or even if I go into a branch. My check cleared my old account at my old bank, I showed them proof it was cashed and yet they are still holding my money and will not release it until Friday. There is no reason to hold my money so long and no one seems to be able to do anything about it. Ridiculous to hold my money for no reason and not give me access to my account. This has happened to others, seems like a scam bank. I made a mistake going here and will be transferring to another bank if I can ever get them to release my money. I guarantee you they have my money and are collecting interest to their own account during this period. I am so angry.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I will be closing my accounts and moving to another bank. I have been a Huntington Bank Customer for 5 + years with two (2) checking accounts. **. On 4/4 for an $8.00 overdraft (account **) you returned a check very important to me, it was for $567.12 and avail balance was 559.12. And by the way the balance on account ** at the time was $1,127.29. You were so quick to return this check that pending transactions for it never showed up on the online banking that I check every morning.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: April 6, 2019

My husband and I opened a checking and savings account in January 2019. I have a problem with their online bank statement and how some transactions are being handled. You HAVE to check your statement daily if you use your DC a lot. Transactions will not show up for seven to ten days after. As soon as they credit us the $200 for opening the checking account, we are going to a different bank.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was charged $178 to close my IRA account. It did not performed well and I wanted to just close it to avoid paying maintenance fees. I have a checking account with them and will close that one too and would not recommend this bank.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Two weeks before I received a letter from the bank telling me they were closing my accounts. They wanted me to call a private number and transfer all of my money to another bank because I was a "risky" customer. I read the letter and thought it was a scam because it seemed fishy. (If I called the number on the letter they sent me, they could ask for my account number and wipe my account clean of $.) I called my local bank and they said that my account was in good standing and there were no indicators of my account closing. So I believe them and ripped up the "scam".

Yesterday all of my money was gone and my accounts vanished. I'm very disappointed because I've had a great relationship with them for 9 years and I've never done anything to put me in the risky category. They would not provide me any reason whatsoever and told me it was an internal decision and would not relay any information as to what happened to my account. They told me they'd send a cashier's check 7-10 business days and returned my paycheck to my employer and all of my student loans that were processed with my provider, were retracted.. So now my bills aren't paid on the 1st of the month and my paycheck was taken away.

If I truly were "risky" then why would they keep my credit card accounts opened but take away my savings and checking accounts? It makes no sense! I have exceptional credit score and never had a loan out with the bank. I will be taking my business to another bank and Huntington will forever get my FREE advertising of how horrible their service was and is. So disappointed and so sad on how all the events unfolded. Please beware of this! Also I'm a female Asian girl and I've heard of this happening to other female Asian ladies - This sounds like they are targeting a specific race and gender!

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was paying off an auto loan early with buyer waiting for a title, thank God she has been very patient. They required that I pay off using tracking and account number. When that didn't work they waited 5 days while my account showed paid off and sent a letter telling me the transaction didn't go through. What is this, 1970. Why not call? Then I wired them the money and they said it took 2 days to clear. The wire was straight from my bank. Then they still insist on holding my title for 7 days, more like nine days. I wouldn't borrow a dollar to buy a pack of gum from them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The loan officer doing my refinance never responded to me or answered any of my questions. I called and emailed him and nothing. I called corporate and when I explained I needed to speak to a supervisor to file a complaint, I was given the runaround and transferred and put on hold for over 40 minutes.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Huntington Bank closed my checking account and kicked me out for no reason, the same day my social security check was deposited. When I went to the Huntington Bank to collect my money I was told my account was closed and denied my money. Now I have to wait for a check to be mailed, it could be a week or two before I receive it. We have had to borrow money for gas and to eat. This has caused much stress to me. Point is DON'T BANK WITH HUNTINGTON!

Original review: March 31, 2019

I disputed 2 charges with a merchant but soon settled by sending the merchant an agreed amount. I called Huntington Bank & told them & they assured me I would not get charged again. I was at the end of the month & ran out of gas in Colorado last night. Now I'm overdrawn & starving. A disabled senior citizen veteran in disgust.

Original review: March 30, 2019

We took out a HELOC two and a half years ago with the intent of paying it off in three years. It has a repayment time of seven years. It had a variable interest rate and right after we signed for the loan the prime rate started going up. So we escalated our payoff time and paid it off about 6 months early. When I went in to pay off the loan I was quoted a payoff amount for 16 days in the future. The reason I was given for why I could not just pay it and close it that day was because they had to wait for my check to clear.

So I have a credit balance on the account. On this same visit I was told by the teller that in order to close the account I had to call and get a payoff letter sent to me. I was given a number at a call center to do that. I called that same day and used the automated system to request the payoff letter. The amount quoted was for the exact same amount that the teller gave me. It seemed weird that I needed a letter to tell the branch what was already on their computer screen, but I decided to let that go. The payoff letter never came. So after two weeks, I called again and received a quote indicating that even though I had a credit balance at the time, my payoff amount would be $12.50.

Needless to say, this made no sense. I called the branch and spoke to a very patronizing employee who acted like I was an idiot and told me I didn't need a payoff letter for a HELOC and I should bring a letter into the branch telling them to close the account. I did that a over week ago and was assured that in 3 to 4 business days the account would be closed and a refund check mailed. Guess what? As of today the account is still open and the credit balance is still on the account. How hard can it be to close an account?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I paid my loan pay off (which Huntington gave me directly over the phone) via a wire transfer. Two business days later I called to confirm that everything went through and asked when to expect the lien release. I found out on that phone call that I owed $50 more than what was told to me on the phone for my pay off amount. I filed a dispute... 2 more business days have passed. I called again today to see if the charge had been waived as it was their mess up. I find out that no one has looked at this and it will be another FOUR business days until I know. Continuing to wait for a lien release when I paid the amount off a week ago! I repeat DO NOT BANK HERE! The customer service I've had up until today was worthless. The representative I spoke to today was nice, but at this point I'm beyond frustrated and have no patience for this company.

Original review: March 26, 2019

In March of 2018 we received a call from our realtor, Flemon **, that we were per approved for a loan from Huntington Bank per Akheem **. This person was recommended by Mr **. For the next 6 months we looked for a house with Mr. Flemon **. It was a very trying time, full of **, depression and disappointments. But we persevered.

In August of 2018, we found the house we wanted, really liked, was in a good neighborhood and the price was great. We proceeded with the negotiating, seller made repairs as needed, we paid $1000.00 earnest money, signed contracts as needed. Was told that closing would be middle to end of September. Akheem ** called me in September and said that I would receive a letter saying the loan was not approved and disregard it. Akeem ** requested more papers, I provided bank statements. I took all my money from retirement account and put in savings account, so they could see the money for down payment was there.

Then Akeem ** started asking for proof of payments to cell phone company and car insurance, which I provided a full years worth. Days later, I called Akheem ** to check on the loan. Actually, it was three days before the supposed closing. I left two messages on his voice mail. He finally called me at approximately 12:30 and informed me the loan was not approved. He then suggested a co-signer, when I stated "It is what is and no I would not do that!"

At this time a I was distraught and depressed and feeling less than a human being. We were told we were approved, what happened? No answers. I went through my day at work feeling worthless and knowing I would have to tell my family. I let you down. I did that, my daughter was gracious, cried with me, my wife was the same. I was angry, hurt and humiliated by both Akheem ** and his help Kim **, both lied and misled us on the second month of false hope and tears. Akheem ** and Kim ** had suggested a co-signer, which my wife found. He went through the signing and the credit checks we went through.

Numerous times I talked to Kim **, we talked about my relation to Pedro, He was a family friend and we both take care of each other. Kim ** would laugh and say, "You're not married to Pedro, right?" And I would say, "No we are family friends for more than 20 years." Not at one time did either Akheem ** or Kim ** say that the co-signer needed to be a blood relative. These two amateurs need to be avoided at all costs. I am writing this in March of 2019, so don't think I I writing this with passion, hate or depression. I let that go a while ago, and write this now with a clear mind!

Original review: March 19, 2019

I'll try to keep this real short, good luck right... One, bank NEVER shows pending transactions, some purchases take 3 weeks to come out of my account... HOW COME Apple cash can show INSTANT CORRECT BALANCE at all times? Very annoying, like what's the point in showing balance if it's horribly behind, like at that point you just have to write everything down to keep track, totally insane nonsense, why even have an app?

Two, I got a random notice that my credit card is canceled because of lack of deposits, makes no sense, NEVER made late payment, and just got 6000 dollar deposit a week and a half before the notice, and I get 600 bucks direct deposit every week, total morons, and when I question it, they don't know anything AT ALL, and can't change it or help, or even explain their actions. I can't stand this bank, just too bad they are all the same, worse, or just have different set of BS.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have had the displeasure of using them two different times for loans. The first time was pretty bad and I vowed I would never use them again. The second time I didn't realize the car dealership had put the loan in with them till it was too late. I have never had a good experience with them, they are the worst to deal with. They have all kinds of hidden fees and they're just generally unscrupulous. Beware, if you try to use online banking as I have always done, they'll accept your first payment and then refused the second payment.

They did me that way with my first loan. I didn't know they had refused it till there was a late charge. They tried to say my bank refused it, but my bank has never refused any payment. The second time I had a loan with them, they had all kinds of hidden fees and charges. Also, beware, every customer service officer will tell you a different story and claim that the other officer was misinformed to n what they told you. Beware, they are a terrible place to deal with! The worst loan dept and customer service EVER!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I had to call Huntington about an account problem that occurred today, and I actually ended up hanging up and calling back because the people I spoke with the first time were so rude. Thinking it was a fluke, I called back and got two different people who were worse! What happened to their customer service? I used to get great service when I called there, but now it's like a low rent call center and the only training they get is how to be jerks. I have been with Huntington for about 12 years now, but I'm done. Paying them off this year and moving to a local credit union.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Background: We have accounts w multiple banks and I needed to send money from one to to my wife. 1st I tried to send money via Facebook Messenger app. The 1st "test" amount of $1 made it through. Future attempts blocked. Called customer service. They said I had exceeded my daily ATM limit (really? $1 exceeded my limit?? I had not used any ATM that day and upon questioning they admitted they could see that.) When I asked what was my ATM limit... surely it couldn't be just $1... They said they didn't know how to find out! They're customer service and they do not have basic information like that??!

They said they "sent a code good for 3 days" to get my account unlocked... it never worked. Customer service then simply dropped the call by announcing they "could not do anything further. Goodbye." No standard; "I'm sorry. Can I help with anything else? "...just hung up on after I'd waited 20 minutes on hold to waste my time further with their inept customer service. I'm STILL locked from sending money via F.B. Messenger. It’s been 4 days.

Next I logged into their THEIR OWN mobile banking app since they have the same function... Allowing a customer to send money immediately. As a test I sent $10 to my wife, but again future attempts blocked. Called customer service. 1st they could not find the initial test amount, then they could not see the failed attempts. Finally they figured it out... since I attempted to send a small amount followed by a large amount it was flagged as a security risk and shut down. They would have to contact their fraud dept... but they had all gone home at 5pm!! My wife would have to wait until next workday!!! (I'm glad this didn't happen on a Friday night... It would be a 2 day delay before anything done!)

Huntington... I hope someone at your bank reads this someday! YOU ARE A BANK. IT IS THE 21ST CENTURY. FRAUD HAPPENS 24/7/365. DO NOT INCONVENIENCE THE PEOPLE WHO PAY YOUR SALARIES. (In case you've forgotten, that's your customers...who from the looks of other reviews are just as frustrated by your 1980's policies and inept, obviously untrained, rude customer service dept.)

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This Morning I logged into my Huntington Bank Account just doing a quick check to make sure my checkbook balance was the same as online and make sure I had not missed writing down anything I purchased in my checkbook. I normally do this task once a week. But Today I log in and as I am logged in I notice I have a security alert notification. I click on it to read the message and it tells me that my account was logged into from a device that was not registered and unknown to them. It said the login had happened 2 nights ago at about 1 am EST. I was asleep and know for a fact I was asleep at that time of morning. It had a number to call immediately if this login attempt was not me. So I call the number.

After going through a robot mode of multiple choice reasons I am calling and then being transferred to a representative who tells me very quickly she needs to transfer me to another department because she can't help me with a security issue and places me on hold for close to 30 min and finally picks back up and says hello only to then apologize when I say it's still me on hold and she again says she will transfer me. This time I am redirected back to the robot wanting to again know why I called and all and go through the robot questions again and verify my account info again with the robot. Then I get another woman from some other department who can hardly speak a word of understandable English. She can't understand me at all even though I talk slow and repeat my issue 3 times so she tells me to hold while she transfers me again and I suddenly get disconnected.

After being on hold all that time the woman just hang up on me. So I then call my local bank branch instead of the toll free number the security alert told me to call... Again I go through the robot crap and get a woman at my local branch who yes finally can fully understand and speak fluent English and she is able to assist an American here in the center of America!!!! The lady at my local branch however needs to transfer my call to a different department where someone who handles security issues can tell me details of what happened and help me. I am again placed on hold where I remain waiting and waiting with a sound of a phone ringing occasionally only to then go back to silence and then every few min a sound of the phone ringing again.

Finally some guy answers and immediately without me being able to say a word asks me to please hold and I sit there on hold another 11 min and 17 seconds before he answered again and asked me how could he help me. I explain yet again to the now 4th person today what happened and why I am calling not counting the robots I had to talk to as well...before being placed on hold to begin with. The man tells me that the reason I got the security alert was because I tried to log into my account from a device I had never used before. And it was no big deal. I explain how I was asleep at the time and know for a fact I was not logging in at 1 am 2 days ago and he says well then if it wasnt me then did I give someone my username and password and I said, "Of course not. If I did all that why the hell would I be calling you" and he tells me, "Ok please hold..."

And for the second time today I was disconnected by a representative of Huntington Bank for no reason other than they thought it was funny to not help me. So this time I said to hell with them. I got in car drove to my local branch, walked in, explained the situation to the branch manager, gave her the first names of the two ** who disconnected on me on the phone from who knows where and I closed my account fully as well as my savings account and drive right down the road to PNC walked in and opened an account there.

The bank manager tried to talk me out of doing that saying she would find out the problem but I explained to her if a bank was so insecure with my money that someone from another city could hack my bank account and it take me that much trouble all day long on phone and then have to drive to bank to basically beg to talk to the manager or someone who can help me find out if my account was safe that I really didnt need my money in a bank that was that unsafe. I wouldnt advise anyone else to use this bank either. I usually in past was high on their small town customer service but they are getting far too swelled head now so if they want to treat customers like dogs then I will do business with a big dog bank compared to them

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I spoke with call center rep to stop payment on item confirmed amount with rep! Waiting four business to find rep made error with wrong amount and I will be penalized for the error! No one will take accountability and now instead of 24 hrs I had to go thru longer process for funds to be back in my acccount ** PISSED.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I recently opened a new account with Huntington Bank. I took a photo of a check from my employer to deposit with their app, since my direct deposit would not be available for another week. When depositing my check the app notified the funds should be available within 1-2 days. That night I went home and received an email stating that my check had a hold on it. I called the bank and found the hold was for 7 days! I called the customer service number and was told nothing could be done about the hold, even after speaking with a supervisor who was extremely rude.

That night I tried to log back into my account and found the supervisor placed a hold against my account so not only do I not have funds but now I cannot access my account at all, not online or in the app. I called again today and I was placed on hold for 30 minutes from 4:30-5:00 pm, I was then told by the customer service agent that the department that handles that situation closed... Of course they did, I was on hold for 30 minutes!

I am a new customer, I was happy to bank with Huntington but now I am living a nightmare. I cannot access my funds or my account to see when my funds come in. I have bills to pay that are now overdue. Shame on you Huntington for treating a new customer who likely would have opened additional accounts with you this way. I feel punished for asking about my funds and this account will be closed ASAP! Shame on you Huntington, you could learn a thing or two about customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

After using Huntington Bank for car loans for years, I will never again. Have been working on an issue for several weeks with no results, huge runaround, zero satisfaction, and to find out they have wrong address... and say they cannot change that. Also cannot email information nor contact in any other manner all the while continuing to rack up fees that are not being reported due to wrong address. Currently have a formal complaint lodged as final resort so that recorded phone calls can be heard. I am buying new vehicle this weekend and will not be using Huntington. I have 53 and Chase and I will discontinue any dealings with Huntington.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I got an auto loan through Huntington Bank (from the dealer) and paid through the duration of the loan (72 months) until it matured. When I was finished they informed me I still owed almost $3,000 dollars. They wouldn't explain to me why and wouldn't let me talk to managers or anybody that could explain it to me. Finally I just kept paying my monthly payment until it was paid off and one evening a repo truck showed up at my house to tow my car...which should have been paid off! I called the bank while the guys were here and the woman couldn't care less and wouldn't take a payment over the phone. They just wanted more fees.

Even the repo men couldn't believe it and didn't want to tow my car but they had too. This was an absolute nightmare and completely humiliating as well. I paid the balance the next day (plus almost $500 in fees that Huntington added). Please beware and NEVER do business with this scam bank... I wish I had read these reviews BEFORE I got a loan through them. They should be illegal.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Second time in one year. I cashed my employers check, written to me, for cash-no deposit. Again, second time! Huntington Bank of Niles, OH. (different branch each time) deducted the funds from "my" personal checking account. Did I mention second time, same situation? Now..."I" have to wait 6 days for them to correct it. Meanwhile, this money is unavailable to me and will cause my account to overdraft. When it takes 15 minutes for them to play on a screen, then finally give me the money...they end up deducting it from my own checking account when the check came from another person. 2019, today's technology and this happens twice in one year? I am researching other financial institutions as this repeated incompetence is unacceptable. PS. I don't get to charge them a fee for their error.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Huntington Bank STOLE ALL the money I had in my personal accounts, and 2 business accounts then shut them down and are now refusing access to my record or any reasons of why they shut down my accounts just before Christmas.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We purchased a vehicle that was financed through Huntington National Bank. The difference between our loan and the payoff was $1225. I was told that the reason was $899 GAP insurance, $250.24 some other type of insurance not explained and $75.03 in case we abandoned the truck. However, we cancelled the warranty and GAP insurance and checks in the amount of $752.64 and $2,348.10 were sent and received by Huntington on December 28, 2017 (this is now January 2019). They said the amount of $750 was misapplied as a payment instead of the GAP insurance.

I have been talking with them for three weeks and they still can't explain the difference. Even if the $750 was applied as a payment, then there is $475.00 that can't be accounted for, plus they have been charging us for GAP insurance for over a year. Huntington Bank told me today that the loan is closed and they won't help me any longer with satisfying my confusion. We will never deal with Huntington National Bank again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have my auto loan through Huntington and in May 2018 I had to declare bankruptcy. I still had more payments on the loan, but I can't get the bank to allow me to see my amounts I owe, neither in coupon books nor online. I can call and get amounts. They claim this is because of my bankruptcy. I have been paying ahead and extra on the account in order to pay off the loan, but I can't determine how much I still owe due to Huntington's secrecy on what I owe. You would think Huntington would want to work with someone looking to PAY them the money the bank is owed. Currently looking to refinance the autoload with another institution.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Staff at the Bank call the Police if you are not the "right" color or if you attempt a transaction in an amount that exceeds what they believe your color should be handling. The Bank issued a statement in fact confirming that this was the policy at a Cleveland branch. In my own case, they refused to give me a 5 and 4 singles when I gave them quarters (I was turning in loose quarters). They also once deposited a $5,000 check as only $4,000, correcting the mistake after I brought it to their attention. The staff is poorly trained and are now documented to engage in racial profiling. None of these issues are so serious though that a well organized BOYCOTT of the bank wouldn't affect a permanent resolution overnight. At any rate, do business with your local credit union and move away from what is, in essence, an organized criminal ring.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have banked with Huntington for many years and preferred them over all other banks for a long time. I have had savings, checking, auto loan, mortgage, retirement, and business accounts with them. But over the past two years I have had so many problems with getting hit with seemingly random "monthly service fees" on accounts that I have had for years that never had service fees before. I also had issues with automatic payments somehow not going through from my Huntington checking account to my Huntington auto loan account. And then I would get hit with fines even though I had not done anything to cause the problem. I thought it would be no problem to get it sorted out but I was shocked that they were not understanding about it at all and treated me like it was my fault. It happened more than once and it got to the point that they would only partially refund me on these mystery fees.

Long story short I ended up canceling all of my deposit accounts with Huntington because I just never knew when some kind of fee was going to appear on my account. And neither the customer service folks nor the local branch employees could tell me why I was being charged these fees. I even got escalated from one manager to the next and nobody could give me an explanation or assure me that the issue would be fixed. I estimate that I probably ended up paying $600-$800 in non-reimbursed fees in the first quarter of 2018. I won't be surprised if I hear about some sort of class action lawsuit in the next couple years.

Unfortunately I also administer a business account with Huntington as the bookkeeper of an organization I am involved in. And wouldn't you know it that this month we started getting some mysterious "monthly service fees" out of nowhere that we have never been assessed before. It's infuriating and I have lost all trust in this bank. I think that this sort of conduct borders on criminal. Do not bank with Huntington, period. There is no shortage of other options. The way I have been treated with Chase is like night and day by comparison.

Huntington Bank Company Information