2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (243 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: June 14, 2021

Very friendly on the phone or in person. Great variety of accounts and services. The overdraft protection is always a nice perk, and they were really great helping their customers during and after covid!

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have been with this bank for many years. When I had my debit card number was stolen, I received a message from my bank very quickly. The staff is always there to answer any questions I have or any problems that arise. They are always kind, respectful and patient.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Huntington gave me a $150 reward to open a checking acct 5 years ago. I was going to close in 6 months. I love Huntington so much, I'm still there. Good hours, great service and they always answer my phone questions.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I've had a Huntington acct. for years now and I'm very happy with the customer service they provide. If I have a problem I can go to Meijer where a Huntington Bank is and they're always available for answers.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

As soon as banks opened lobbies again, got a call seeing how myself and my daughter were after Covid shutdown. Always helpful and ready to answer any concerns. Familiar with patterns of spending and immediately has always sent an alert if something seems awry.

Original review: July 30, 2021

This bank in a 2 month timespan has turned into a complete joke. Everything is constantly blocked now. Transactions with BlockFi...blocked. Coinbase...blocked. Chase Bank...blocked. Robinhood...blocked. Called customer service, disabled the 3rd party security. Blocked. I'm done. I'd call tomorrow but it's Friday. That's usually when the app goes down, web based site is down...lol. No wonder people are moving to DeFi.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I'm not a customer of Huntington and after this experience I can tell you that I never will be. I bank with Fifth Third which is an excellent Bank. I normally, during the course of my business day, take checks from customers and cash them as opposed to depositing them directly into my account. It used to be relatively simple and I am fine with the ten dollar charge that is levied for not being an account holder of Huntington. I also understand the need for caution by financial institutions that are accepting checks however I have never experienced anything like this.

I went into the branch in Niles Michigan to cash a $220 check from my girlfriend's mother for materials for a job I'm doing for her. When I got to the teller she asked for two forms of ID which I had but it needed to either be one of my credit cards or social security card which I don't carry when I'm working. I said that's fine I'll come back tomorrow. I came back the next day, got the same teller and she asked if it was the same check. I said yes, then I gave her my DL and a credit card and my social security card and she said. "Oh... I'm sorry there's not enough funds to cover the check."

I was 100% certain that that was not the case and checking with my girlfriend's mother she verified there's way more than enough money in there. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about it I guess this is a start. Don't use this Bank. Think you have issues as an account holding customer? Try being a normal customer off the street! You would be better off keeping your money in a mattress.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I went to buy a vehicle last night, unable to purchase my car, because they decided to lock my account for no reason. I called when they open up, and was told to CB at 830 when I'm supposed to be at work. I will be closing my account and moving to another bank.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I opened new accounts with Huntington and they put my first deposit on a ten day hold! I showed the branch a copy of the deposit clearing the other bank and they still would not release the funds. I do not know who can go ten days without access to their funds when they switch banks - but not me! This was NOT disclosed upon deposit. I found this unacceptable. As soon as they release my funds next week, I am removing everything and closing the accounts. Not a great way to start a new relationship - showing your customers you have gridlock policies that do not benefit them. A ten day funds hold in 2021 is unnecessary. These days, items clear the issuing bank by the next business day. These are electronic processes. I will be going back to PNC - even if the drive to the branches is a little further.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I decided to bank with Huntington for my first sole checking account. I had been with them for about 9 months before things went downhill. Long story short, a month ago I was scammed out of $1000 and Huntington won’t do anything about it. I was sent a cashier’s check for a product, took it to a teller, and Huntington made it available to me the next day. The person no longer wanted the product so I sent them a refund and poof, not even a day later, Huntington took the check right back out of my account and I was in negative.

Looking back, it was clearly a scam, however, I thought Huntington would take some responsibility and give me back my funds because they didn’t initially catch that the check was fake nor did they place a hold on it. I also didn’t have the funds to cover the check in my account either but they still deposited it anyways. Of course, since they did this I thought the money was good and I would have never sent the person a refund if Huntington hadn’t made the funds available to me. I filed a dispute and a police report but nothing came out of either.

A Huntington dispute supervisor gave me some advice that their checks are not considered “clear” for about 10 business days and even if they deposit your check immediately and do not place a hold on it, it is still the customer’s fault if funds are lost. He also told me that fake checks are becoming more common and slipping through the cracks. Of course this advice was pretty useless since they told me this after I was scammed. I say all this to say that Huntington is a bank that has little to no protection for their customers in scam situations. They seem to have an unreliable initial system for flagging fake checks yet they still rarely place holds on them. I have also heard that due to this, Huntington is one of the easier banks to get fraudulent checks through which is why scammers like to use them. If you’re scammed Huntington will pretty much laugh in your face. I don’t recommend them.

Huntington Bank Company Information