1.20/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

131 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This Morning I logged into my Huntington Bank Account just doing a quick check to make sure my checkbook balance was the same as online and make sure I had not missed writing down anything I purchased in my checkbook. I normally do this task once a week. But Today I log in and as I am logged in I notice I have a security alert notification. I click on it to read the message and it tells me that my account was logged into from a device that was not registered and unknown to them. It said the login had happened 2 nights ago at about 1 am EST. I was asleep and know for a fact I was asleep at that time of morning. It had a number to call immediately if this login attempt was not me. So I call the number.

After going through a robot mode of multiple choice reasons I am calling and then being transferred to a representative who tells me very quickly she needs to transfer me to another department because she can't help me with a security issue and places me on hold for close to 30 min and finally picks back up and says hello only to then apologize when I say it's still me on hold and she again says she will transfer me. This time I am redirected back to the robot wanting to again know why I called and all and go through the robot questions again and verify my account info again with the robot. Then I get another woman from some other department who can hardly speak a word of understandable English. She can't understand me at all even though I talk slow and repeat my issue 3 times so she tells me to hold while she transfers me again and I suddenly get disconnected.

After being on hold all that time the woman just hang up on me. So I then call my local bank branch instead of the toll free number the security alert told me to call... Again I go through the robot crap and get a woman at my local branch who yes finally can fully understand and speak fluent English and she is able to assist an American here in the center of America!!!! The lady at my local branch however needs to transfer my call to a different department where someone who handles security issues can tell me details of what happened and help me. I am again placed on hold where I remain waiting and waiting with a sound of a phone ringing occasionally only to then go back to silence and then every few min a sound of the phone ringing again.

Finally some guy answers and immediately without me being able to say a word asks me to please hold and I sit there on hold another 11 min and 17 seconds before he answered again and asked me how could he help me. I explain yet again to the now 4th person today what happened and why I am calling not counting the robots I had to talk to as well...before being placed on hold to begin with. The man tells me that the reason I got the security alert was because I tried to log into my account from a device I had never used before. And it was no big deal. I explain how I was asleep at the time and know for a fact I was not logging in at 1 am 2 days ago and he says well then if it wasnt me then did I give someone my username and password and I said, "Of course not. If I did all that why the hell would I be calling you" and he tells me, "Ok please hold..."

And for the second time today I was disconnected by a representative of Huntington Bank for no reason other than they thought it was funny to not help me. So this time I said to hell with them. I got in car drove to my local branch, walked in, explained the situation to the branch manager, gave her the first names of the two ** who disconnected on me on the phone from who knows where and I closed my account fully as well as my savings account and drive right down the road to PNC walked in and opened an account there.

The bank manager tried to talk me out of doing that saying she would find out the problem but I explained to her if a bank was so insecure with my money that someone from another city could hack my bank account and it take me that much trouble all day long on phone and then have to drive to bank to basically beg to talk to the manager or someone who can help me find out if my account was safe that I really didnt need my money in a bank that was that unsafe. I wouldnt advise anyone else to use this bank either. I usually in past was high on their small town customer service but they are getting far too swelled head now so if they want to treat customers like dogs then I will do business with a big dog bank compared to them

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I spoke with call center rep to stop payment on item confirmed amount with rep! Waiting four business to find rep made error with wrong amount and I will be penalized for the error! No one will take accountability and now instead of 24 hrs I had to go thru longer process for funds to be back in my acccount ** PISSED.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I recently opened a new account with Huntington Bank. I took a photo of a check from my employer to deposit with their app, since my direct deposit would not be available for another week. When depositing my check the app notified the funds should be available within 1-2 days. That night I went home and received an email stating that my check had a hold on it. I called the bank and found the hold was for 7 days! I called the customer service number and was told nothing could be done about the hold, even after speaking with a supervisor who was extremely rude.

That night I tried to log back into my account and found the supervisor placed a hold against my account so not only do I not have funds but now I cannot access my account at all, not online or in the app. I called again today and I was placed on hold for 30 minutes from 4:30-5:00 pm, I was then told by the customer service agent that the department that handles that situation closed... Of course they did, I was on hold for 30 minutes!

I am a new customer, I was happy to bank with Huntington but now I am living a nightmare. I cannot access my funds or my account to see when my funds come in. I have bills to pay that are now overdue. Shame on you Huntington for treating a new customer who likely would have opened additional accounts with you this way. I feel punished for asking about my funds and this account will be closed ASAP! Shame on you Huntington, you could learn a thing or two about customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

After using Huntington Bank for car loans for years, I will never again. Have been working on an issue for several weeks with no results, huge runaround, zero satisfaction, and to find out they have wrong address... and say they cannot change that. Also cannot email information nor contact in any other manner all the while continuing to rack up fees that are not being reported due to wrong address. Currently have a formal complaint lodged as final resort so that recorded phone calls can be heard. I am buying new vehicle this weekend and will not be using Huntington. I have 53 and Chase and I will discontinue any dealings with Huntington.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I got an auto loan through Huntington Bank (from the dealer) and paid through the duration of the loan (72 months) until it matured. When I was finished they informed me I still owed almost $3,000 dollars. They wouldn't explain to me why and wouldn't let me talk to managers or anybody that could explain it to me. Finally I just kept paying my monthly payment until it was paid off and one evening a repo truck showed up at my house to tow my car...which should have been paid off! I called the bank while the guys were here and the woman couldn't care less and wouldn't take a payment over the phone. They just wanted more fees.

Even the repo men couldn't believe it and didn't want to tow my car but they had too. This was an absolute nightmare and completely humiliating as well. I paid the balance the next day (plus almost $500 in fees that Huntington added). Please beware and NEVER do business with this scam bank... I wish I had read these reviews BEFORE I got a loan through them. They should be illegal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Second time in one year. I cashed my employers check, written to me, for cash-no deposit. Again, second time! Huntington Bank of Niles, OH. (different branch each time) deducted the funds from "my" personal checking account. Did I mention second time, same situation? Now..."I" have to wait 6 days for them to correct it. Meanwhile, this money is unavailable to me and will cause my account to overdraft. When it takes 15 minutes for them to play on a screen, then finally give me the money...they end up deducting it from my own checking account when the check came from another person. 2019, today's technology and this happens twice in one year? I am researching other financial institutions as this repeated incompetence is unacceptable. PS. I don't get to charge them a fee for their error.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Huntington Bank STOLE ALL the money I had in my personal accounts, and 2 business accounts then shut them down and are now refusing access to my record or any reasons of why they shut down my accounts just before Christmas.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We purchased a vehicle that was financed through Huntington National Bank. The difference between our loan and the payoff was $1225. I was told that the reason was $899 GAP insurance, $250.24 some other type of insurance not explained and $75.03 in case we abandoned the truck. However, we cancelled the warranty and GAP insurance and checks in the amount of $752.64 and $2,348.10 were sent and received by Huntington on December 28, 2017 (this is now January 2019). They said the amount of $750 was misapplied as a payment instead of the GAP insurance.

I have been talking with them for three weeks and they still can't explain the difference. Even if the $750 was applied as a payment, then there is $475.00 that can't be accounted for, plus they have been charging us for GAP insurance for over a year. Huntington Bank told me today that the loan is closed and they won't help me any longer with satisfying my confusion. We will never deal with Huntington National Bank again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I have my auto loan through Huntington and in May 2018 I had to declare bankruptcy. I still had more payments on the loan, but I can't get the bank to allow me to see my amounts I owe, neither in coupon books nor online. I can call and get amounts. They claim this is because of my bankruptcy. I have been paying ahead and extra on the account in order to pay off the loan, but I can't determine how much I still owe due to Huntington's secrecy on what I owe. You would think Huntington would want to work with someone looking to PAY them the money the bank is owed. Currently looking to refinance the autoload with another institution.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Staff at the Bank call the Police if you are not the "right" color or if you attempt a transaction in an amount that exceeds what they believe your color should be handling. The Bank issued a statement in fact confirming that this was the policy at a Cleveland branch. In my own case, they refused to give me a 5 and 4 singles when I gave them quarters (I was turning in loose quarters). They also once deposited a $5,000 check as only $4,000, correcting the mistake after I brought it to their attention. The staff is poorly trained and are now documented to engage in racial profiling. None of these issues are so serious though that a well organized BOYCOTT of the bank wouldn't affect a permanent resolution overnight. At any rate, do business with your local credit union and move away from what is, in essence, an organized criminal ring.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have banked with Huntington for many years and preferred them over all other banks for a long time. I have had savings, checking, auto loan, mortgage, retirement, and business accounts with them. But over the past two years I have had so many problems with getting hit with seemingly random "monthly service fees" on accounts that I have had for years that never had service fees before. I also had issues with automatic payments somehow not going through from my Huntington checking account to my Huntington auto loan account. And then I would get hit with fines even though I had not done anything to cause the problem. I thought it would be no problem to get it sorted out but I was shocked that they were not understanding about it at all and treated me like it was my fault. It happened more than once and it got to the point that they would only partially refund me on these mystery fees.

Long story short I ended up canceling all of my deposit accounts with Huntington because I just never knew when some kind of fee was going to appear on my account. And neither the customer service folks nor the local branch employees could tell me why I was being charged these fees. I even got escalated from one manager to the next and nobody could give me an explanation or assure me that the issue would be fixed. I estimate that I probably ended up paying $600-$800 in non-reimbursed fees in the first quarter of 2018. I won't be surprised if I hear about some sort of class action lawsuit in the next couple years.

Unfortunately I also administer a business account with Huntington as the bookkeeper of an organization I am involved in. And wouldn't you know it that this month we started getting some mysterious "monthly service fees" out of nowhere that we have never been assessed before. It's infuriating and I have lost all trust in this bank. I think that this sort of conduct borders on criminal. Do not bank with Huntington, period. There is no shortage of other options. The way I have been treated with Chase is like night and day by comparison.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I had a promotion code that offers $500 for a combined checking and money market account of over $25000. In early August, I went to the local bank in Parma, OH and told them that I wanted to take advantage of this offer. After 60 days I went to the local bank asking why they hadn’t credit my account as promised. They told me it is 90 days so after 100 days it was still not credited to my account. I called the customer service and was told the link between accounts was incorrect and they would investigate the case and constantly update me. I didn’t received a single update so after 10 days I called again, I was told investigation was not in my favor because the $500 is for checking account only. That was a flat lie since the promotion was clearly said for combination of checking & money market. I have decided to close my accounts in the next couple of weeks because I cannot trust these people to keep my money.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Huntington decided it was okay without my permission or knowledge to take $2,400 out of my savings account and put into someone else’s account. After spending an hour on the phone with them, I have to take more time out of my day and physically go into the bank and have them fix THEIR MISTAKE. I definitely do not trust them with my savings any longer and will be closing my account after getting my money back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We have an auto loan with Huntington Bank and thought we were nearing end of 6 year loan. We've paid our auto loan online and have always paid the amount requested for the payment. Except for 3 times when we skipped payments around Christmas (which they and a lot of banks allow). We did have to make late payments, because we missed due dates by a few days (but had never been 30 days late until now). We made payments online in October and November and then were notified we were 30 days late for not making a payment of around $1600 because the loan had become due. This is 5 times the amount of our normal payment and never showed online where we make our payments. They say this large amount is due to the 3 deferred payments and approximately $600 in interest charged on the late payments.

My complaint is why didn't these amounts ever show online until we called today to complain, and now is too late. We now have a 30 day late payment on our credit report. When questioned about why this amount wasn't show online, they said it wasn't their policy and then they went on to tell me why it was my fault. When all they had to do is put the information where we and most people make payments. I've learned Huntington is definitely not about helping or doing the right thing. They're just about making excuses and blaming customers for doing everything wrong. They're just unable to say we're sorry, this should have shown online. What can we do to make it right.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

After explaining my situation to 5 or 6 different employees who all tell me different solutions, my account is still overdrawn for almost $2,000. They said I could remove a “stop pay” from my account after these pending charges came off and I did. So I make the payment for rent and wake up the next day to see my account was now overdrawn by 4 rent checks!! So now I have zero cash, bills to pay tomorrow and bounced transactions to go along with my overdrawn account. This is the second time this bank has told me the wrong thing to do and screwed me financially. Once this is fixed I’m switching banks! They are awful.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

One month ago, four fraudulent transactions appeared in my online bank statement. I called immediately and the charges were even still pending and had not been charged. The customer service representative refused to block the transactions and said that they needed to investigate. The transactions together, totaled $1200. Within two days, they issued me a provisional credit. I never received any further communication from Huntington, regarding the transactions, leading me to assume that everything had been resolved.

Fast forward exactly one month to the date that the provisional credit was issued, and Huntington Bank pulled all of their provisional funds, in a series of four transactions. When I went into my branch to ask what was going on, I was informed that I never should have touched those provisional funds, and they were still investigating and the funds aren't guaranteed. The financial pressure mounts as I am now facing several overdraft fees, as many of my bills are debited from my account monthly and this move has wiped out almost my entire account. Not only do I have a family to take care of, but this is also in light of the holiday season and could not have happened at a worse time.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I paid off my car loan by calling and getting the payoff amount, paying over the phone with a confirmation number. Two days later, I noticed the bank withdrew my regular payment from my checking account. I called to have that payment reversed and canceled and the "customer service" representative told me all that they could do is wait until both transactions posted and then after 15 days will write me a refund check. Seriously?!? Meanwhile, it has already cleared from my checking account and I get to sit and wait until they write me a refund check for their mistake. I will never use this bank again for anything.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Back in September I filed a dispute with Huntington Bank for a transaction I never approved. The bank credited my account then 2 months later decided to remove the money back out of my account. Now I'm facing overdraft fees on items I purchased prior to them removing and overstating my account. As of today they have charged me four overdraft charges of $37.50 in 1 day. Needless to say, I will NOT BE USING THIS BANK AND CLOSE MY ACCOUNT ONCE I FINALLY GET IT PAID OFF. It's really zero stars rating.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have been with Huntington for 7 years. I have recently moved out of state and there aren’t any branches here in Florida. From the move I made a dispute with the movers I hired, Charter Van Lines a whole different story. Huntington reversed a charge I had requested for breach of contract. With no notice to me, the bank then withdrew the money they credited back which caused a windfall in my account. Now, I am not able to go to a branch to resolve the matter. I explained this and also asked why I didn’t receive anything to alert me. The case was being reviewed again per Charter Van Lines. They told me they sent me documents to review but again I never received anything!

I told them to look in their returned mail, I’m sure my statement could be easily confirmed. So I tried to talk with them they were rude and smug! They misplaced my retirement ach’s Twice! Not once but twice and proceeded to tell me it wasn’t their fault. Hello banking people, if you check my normal monthly deposits you will see the dates these ach’s are regularly deposited. Nothing is more irritating than when a mistake is made you deny it and treat your customer so horribly! I finally said close the account! And still with 4 days making it one month, they still have not closed it! I called again and again they were rude and smug! Just wanted to let others be aware so this nightmare doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have banked with Huntington for about 8 years. My branch has always been nice and helpful. They treat me with respect even when I come in to have something notarized for free. I do not have much money yet I am still treated like I have millions in the bank.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We opened a business checking and personal checking accounts. We were offered a promotional 0% interest for balance transfers to the Voice Credit Card. We transferred a balance from another card and began using the credit card for purchases. Every month we would pay the balance of the purchases we made, yet we were getting interest fees. We took our statement to our branch and they called their credit department. We were told we had to pay the monthly purchase amount plus the minimum due to avoid interest. The following statement we did just that and got charged interest again. I called CS and got a very rude unhelpful woman. I then spoke to the teller at my branch and she filed a dispute for me, and stated that what I was being told was not what she had been trained about the way the 0% balance transfer works.

I received a call a week later from the resolution dept. and when I explained the situation to the woman she said she would have to look into it and get back to me. About a week later she called and basically said that because Huntington uses a daily average balance that even though we pay off the purchase balance every month we will still have interest from any purchases made after the last date on the statement. The only way to avoid interest is to not use the card and only pay on the balance transfer. This is so shady that even their own staff can't understand it and explain it. I spoke to four different people and got four completely different answers. Needless to say I will be taking my business elsewhere. Anybody has got to be better than this crooked bank. As a side note: because we were told incorrect information when we opened our accounts we ended up having to switch all of them. BEWARE! 1 star only because it won't let me give none.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Only because zero stars are not an option. Made payment through website on time, received confirmation number. Received letter that I was late. Call CS, was told she could see payment but some information must have been wrong because it did not go through. No one contacted me that there was an error, charged me late charges and reported me late to credit bureaus when I was not late and they could clearly see it. Unethical practices of scammers. I will refinance asap and never deal with them again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’ll keep this short. Much better options. They closed my account for the dumbest reason I’ve ever heard. My ex is a risk. We split a year ago and got separate accounts. Mine's fine. Never an issue. Hers was closed. Lol. She never changed her address so we share the address still. Hmm. No thanks. What a joke. Rude ** people too. I took their pen and she said I was stealing. I told her to sue me.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Some, not all, but definitely more than a few agents in the business department of this bank's customer service helpline are extremely rude, and difficult to deal with. They have no respect whatsoever for the client, and will not only talk over you continuously, but they also have a very condescending attitude and won't allow the customer to get a word in edgewise. It's a very "I know better than you, and that's how I'm going to treat you" type of approach. It's off-putting and extremely irritating considering that many of them have little to no idea what they're actually talking about. It definitely makes me question whether or not I want to continue banking with Huntington concerning both my business and personal finances. This is something that I strongly suggest they work on sooner rather than later before they begin to lose clients, and by extension, their clients' funds.

Their policies for disputing charges, and providing evidence of said fraudulent charges are also very complicated and inconvenient. If a client is required to provide evidence supporting their claims, then they should be able to do so via email rather than having to print out the evidence, and take even more time out of their busy schedules in order to travel to a branch and turn it in by hand. It is ridiculous that a bank as large as Huntington still has such outdated systems that they aren't even able to accept forms, which they themselves request, by any other means than delivery by hand. We live in a digital age, and Huntington would do well to catch up with the rest of the world in that regard.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I had a 5 year loan and never had 1 late payment. When the balance got down to a thousand dollars they wanted it all at once. I continued making regular payments and they reported me late three times to the credit bureau. JUST RUINED MY CREDIT SCORE.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2018

I posted an updated review. Huntington honored the offer after determining the promotional code I had was in fact valid. I would suggest they change the font so that it is not so difficult to decipher the letter's and numbers.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I received a mailer offering $300 bonus for a new account if you made $2000 in deposits within 60 days. This offer was also on their website when I opened the account from home (so convenient... so I thought). Well, the Promotional code I had on the mailer was not accepted by their system but since it was offered on their site I thought no problem right? Wrong! I contacted their customer service department because I never saw the $300 and they said the code is "not recognized". I offered to send them a copy but they didn't want it. They put in a dispute but said I would likely not receive the $300 so I will be closing the account just on principle. I can't deal with shady businesses practices.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I am so sick of companies not taking responsibility for their employees' actions or lack of actions. I am tired. They always drop the ball and us consumers have to pay for it even when we did what we should have done to avoid it. You can never speak to a manager to get help because of these imbeciles. I did a stop payment on an ACH and of course the rep never put it on so today I seen it was pending, tried calling the bank and they give me the runaround talking about, "We can't guarantee we can stop it". Well, I don't know why because I have requested this done Days ago, I am filing bankruptcy and now since Huntington wants to drop the ball yet again, they can be involved in the bankruptcy now and be out 500!!!

Sara the phone manager is an individual who should not be in charge of anything to do with people. According to her, she is only manager of call center, I can file a complaint against her but she has to take it, which is bull and she refused to let me talk to anyone else but her. She is TOP DOG I guess. I am done with Huntington, leaving today and finding new bank. Good luck, no wonder you guys are going down. I did what I was suppose to do and yet again huntington dropped the ball.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

There is no way to put travel alert online. I had to call and the travel alert could be of maximum 30 days. After 30 days, I had to call internationally and verify all the security questions but still they had to transfer me to a specialist because I could not do text verification. International calls are expensive. Why would they not accept my verification when I can already log into the account and also verify their codes and my social security, card, security number and everything? How could I do a text verification when I am abroad and do not have access to my number/texts? Pathetic.

On return I found out that they were double dipping. I always try to pay on time and for last two months, they took money out twice. With all other banks, if I set up for autopayment but want to pay early, they would just acknowledge the payment and not make payment twice. It took me 21 minutes to connect to credit card service. Amazing! And they can't fix all the problems and you'd have to call back during the daytime. This card is worth nothing! I should stick my Chase Sapphire, Ventura and Discover.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Had a checking account with them & took out a 5 year loan for $3000 back in December 2012. My account got compromised in May 2016 & was closed by them. The amount I got wasn't enough to pay all my expenses. My VA check was sent back making all my bills late including the loan with them. Got caught up fairly quick on all including the loan with them. Was within 2 payments of having it paid in full & they added $1499 to it in December 2017. Have made 1 of the 2 remaining payments plus I've made a payment to a collection agency. They continue to mail me letters from their recovery department saying to call them. Am not going to do so as one of the credit reporting agencies states it's 100% paid while the other 2 shows it's 52% paid.

Am going to make that final payment before the end of the year & am including a note stating they won't be receiving any more payments from me as I haven't any more payment coupons left. Am not going to contact them regarding that account as it's paid in full & the next letter I get from them is one stating it's paid in full because it will be.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had/have a business account with Huntington Bank. There were some fraudulent charges on my account. After submitting proof that this transaction was not legitimate they assured me the charges were reversed and I had nothing to worry about. They canceled my card and issued me another one. Then 3 months later they decided the charges were legit even with proof they weren't, AND I'm being charged $36 every 48 hours that I don't pay it. I currently owe $160 for a $75 illegal payment, they refuse to close my account until I pay AND they can continue to charge me $36 every 2 days... better READ THAT FINE PRINT... THEY LIE, THEY'RE THIEVES!??

Huntington Bank Company Information