1.31/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

74 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 7, 2018

If there were options to give -0 stars I would give it. I have been trying to cancel my escrow for 3 months. I began the process back in early April. The first excuse of the bank is that I had not had my mortgage open longer than 1 year. After 1 year, which was 10 days later, they said that they will re-review it which I believe they did not without me calling in again. Next request was to fax in a letter requesting it, and once I requested it via fax then they would mail me papers to fill out in order to cancel.

After completing that, the problem became there was a small balance of -132.00 which held up the cancellation. This amount was then paid, and then I again expected the escrow to canceled. The problem then became the auto debit was automatically canceled due to the escrow cancellation request so, the monthly payment including an incorrectly analyzed escrow payment needed to be made in order to cancel the escrow. Needless to type the escrow is still not canceled, and they want me to overpay almost twice the mortgage principal and interest payment in order to cancel my escrow. The customer services and mortgage department related to the escrow analyzing is awful. The mortgage department has displayed incompetence, unprofessionalism, disorganization and rudeness throughout this entire incomprehensible madness.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have this bank for my car loan. I call them every month on time and provide my routing and account number. They went ahead and processed my payment TWICE! They cost me $320 in overdraft fees and told me it could take up to 15 business days to give it back to me!!! It took one minute to take it all out of my account though! I am a single working mother and they did nothing to help me! Banks are suppose to be helpful and have good customer service. I don't recommend this bank to anyone!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Several weeks ago I clicked on an internet ad giving "free" bottles of alleged ** for $4.97 shipping costs. As soon as I tapped the button, two bottles were being sent @ $4.97 each! No way to go back! I got the two bottles, but they contained mineral oil, not **...no valid address or phone # on bottle labels! Then the scammers hit my debit card for $89.97 twice! I called Huntington, killed my card, I ordered another one...AND filed a complaint over the phone for fraud. Of course I wanted my money back that had been stolen!

I went into a local Huntington branch, spoke with a manager, showing him the bottles I received...he called the "research" department, promising to expedite the return of $180 to my checking account. Three days later, I get a letter saying the transactions appear to be legit! WTF? I am pursuing further actions. Obviously NO consumer fraud protection at Huntington!!! Thinking about going to credit union for all banking business from now on!

Original review: May 22, 2018

This Bank will jerk you around for any reason. I never missed a payment or was late on a payment until the bank decided I had to manually make the last payment without notification. I spent months trying to get my title from the bank, only to be told later I would need to go get the title myself. Do not do business with this bank.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Huntington offered a decent APR the loan for my new car. That is probably the only service I have received that is worthy of mention. The staff is very polite and appears to be helpful but the lack in technical support can really make for a cumbersome experience when conducting online banking. I have tried adamantly over two days to register for online banking. Their software is sub par and their tech support for online bank is poor to say the least. Generally I am a very patient person, but this is a topic Huntington should address immediately. Your online banking enrollment process is flawed and needs to be redeveloped. I have received 7 phone text message verification, 5 different calls from Huntington to provide verification codes and nothing has helped. I receive an error when I try to log in to my online banking.

I am quite frustrated so I took the time to write this review. Throughout this process, I even had a customer service rep claim to be transferring my call and then hung up on me. Once the customer service was no longer helpful I tried enrolling myself and the software stated I was already enrolled. 20 minutes of log-in error messages would say otherwise. I am very disappointed and I wish Huntington would figure these problems out immediately. My name is Barry ** and I am not proud to have a loan with Huntington, and I am glad I don't have money in their bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: May 9, 2018

For the first 3 years I had 24-Hour Grace with Overdraft Protection. For the 4th year, this past year, suddenly I do not qualify. There was nothing disclosed to me in writing about a change. I did not change any of my "opt in" settings. I did not "opt out" of anything. I suddenly no longer receive alerts letting me know my account is overdrawn. If I don't know it's overdrawn, then I do not receive 24-hour grace. I am 100% positive this is NOT because I blocked the Text Message on my phone. I do not use that feature. As a very low paid Special Education TEACHER & parent of a Special NEEDS child, I felt like finally there was a bank that understood my financial struggles. I formerly saw Huntington Bank as a bank that cared. No fee checking is a joke. It's cost me $225 since April of last year.

My opinion of Banks in General. My opinion of other banks is they are entities that are designed solely to profit off the misfortune of others. They charge fees people really can't afford to pay. They give very low return for the privilege of holding your money in their vault. They openly discriminate against individuals and try to call it good banking. Now Huntington is lumped in with them as well.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Don't bank at Huntington!!! I had a savings account with them, they suddenly closed it, have been arguing for about a month of where my money went in from that account. The branch told me I was lying and I couldn't even put money in that account. Kept having to repeat myself that the statement shows where the money was put in the account but nothing shows where it was put back into my account. Nobody has been helpful or been in contact with me. They stole my money. DON'T BANK WITH THEM.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I obtained an SBA loan through Huntington Bank. DO NOT DO THIS. If you think FDIC or SBA gives you some consumer protection, you will be wrong. HNB lost my documents, then filed a lawsuit against me claiming default. No payments were missed. I have been in litigation with this bank for almost 2 years. Fun facts: a bank can sue you for any reason, you are required by law to purchase an expensive attorney, and there are little to no bank regulations. This bank is putting my small business out of business and they do not care a bit. They caused the problem, but they have no liability and no accountability. RUN from this bank. Go to a local credit union instead.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have a current loan with Huntington and will be hesitant to use them again in the future because of the teleprompt option to pay loans. It's long and drawn out, repeats information more than once, does not allow me to switch to touch tone only, and still requires me to enter a check number (which is rare these days). Once you've experience a bank that does this efficiently, making it very easy to quickly pay by phone or online, it feels like you've stepped into the past when using a service that is not as efficient.

The one thing that I do like about them, however, is that this option to pay does make it easy for Huntington to find your information when calling from another phone or your phone. More of this type of ease and efficiency is what I would like to see with Huntington, and less long-winded auto scripts and repeated information.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was offered $150,00 to open an account and I asked the manager, "Would I have to do a 1099?" and she explained, "No, we are giving this to you as a gift for opening an account with a certain amount over $1000,oo," so at the beginning of the year I get a 1099, also I asked for a savings account, I find out a checking account was open instead, so now I have two accounts and money being transferred from my savings account to a checking account that I never asked for. This is horrible business, and the bank use our money to offer loans to other people and draw interest.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Horrible customer service, I opened my account on April 2 with a $3000 check, I split check between checking and savings account on April 2, the check would be available on the 5th according to the teller. My check became available on the 12th, asked my accountant at my office, she printed me a copy of my check that had cleared her bank on April 2. Called Huntington, spoke with some very rude, uninformed customer service people who explained that it was a federal rule not them. Lol, I have called FDIC and made complaint as should the rest of you. I know a lot about banks and I will be closing this account today April 11. Staying with my other bank Wells Fargo.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Called the local customer service number and after waiting on hold over 25 minutes, I lost patience and hung up. Called the national customer service number, and when they tried to place me on hold, I complained about wait times. Nice young lady looked into it and said my current wait time would be one hour and ten minutes. I had a relatively simple issue - charged an annual fee after they told me it would be waived - and the issue is still outstanding.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Can't buy a lot of items all at once online using debit card because accounting can't keep up. They put a hold on the payment. Shows as payment pending but we already received the item 5 days ago and it was still pending. And they don't ship the items till payment received. Online it showed we had a balance left of 40 dollars. So I order an item at 37 dollars online and my account said I have 3 dollars left. Now it showing I'm 80 in red.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Stolen business check, sign by other and cashed. Huntington Bank said it was my fault because I did not have the checks in a safe place. Mmmm, under company desk? Also my ATM card had 5-6 charges daily until I found out via online banking. Again my fault. I've been messing with this from back early 2017 but now have to take it to court. Can't get anyone to sit down with me. ALWAYS REMEMBER ABOUT HUNTINGTON BANK BEFORE OPENING AN ACCOUNT OR DO BUSINESS. They are a national bank meaning no one on the state of Ohio level, department can touch him as you must go through the Federal Gov.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

While we all have those banks where yes you pay on time and they smile and you go on. What really rates a lender to me is when you are going through a rough patch how they deal with it. I originally was with First Merit (they were even worse) but they were bought it by Huntington. Come to find out First Merit tacked on random late charges that are inaccurate and to transfer over to Huntington. Now instead of looking through these charges and verifying them Huntington who bought out the bank decides if you want them off you go ahead and do it. This bank is sleazy, rude, and incompetent if you are dealing with any kind of bump in the road. You are better off with one of the hometown credit unions. I can’t wait to be rid of Huntington. Awful bank awful people.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been Banking with Huntington for quite a while now. I have had a lot of fraud happen and the last that really got me is I added my girlfriend to my account and 2 days later they took well over 1000 dollars out of my account because she owed them from years ago. So the bank I trust with my money just stole it from me. When we contacted the HR department the lady was very rude and said, "I'm not giving you any money back." I asked if I could make payments. She kinda laughed and said, "No I'm not refunding anything" with a big attitude!! I asked why I wasn't told when I added her that she had a balance. The lady said, "We don't have to tell you that and you signed the paperwork stating we can take your money at any time for reasons like this." I explained to her I will lose my house over this and she didn't even care so please reconsider banking here. Have a great day.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I unfortunately gave this company way too many years of business. They weren't willing to refinance my car so I had to take my business somewhere else. When I stopped the auto pay I wasn't told it takes 5 days to become effective. So when my car was paid off in full by the new refinancing company, these people went and took another payment out of my checking account when there was a zero balance. And now they expect me to wait 10-20 days to get my money back on their incompetence.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I received an auto loan from Huntington Bank through my car dealership in 2017. Here are my primary concerns: They do not have easily accessible customer service. There is no email address where you can upload attachments, for example. You can call and speak to someone on the phone if you want to be put on hold for half the day. There is nowhere you can go to provide feedback. When you enter in your bank account information to submit an electronic payment for your auto loan, the routing number/bank account number example that they show is backwards to the way they have you enter the data. This is very confusing... And if you accidentally flip-flop the bank acct / routing #s you will get a 'funds not available fee' and your payment will be late on top of it for additional fees.

The car loan online payment site has no history of transaction or schedules of transactions. For example, I just submitted a payment and have no idea if it is actually processing or if I accidentally goofed when typing in a number or what-not. They provide NO email receipts/confirmations, therefore I cannot 'add receipt' to this post. You cannot save any payment information. Most places will make you type in your bank acct # twice so that it can verify that you typed it incorrectly. Or, if you type in routing number the name of your bank will pop up so that you can verify that it is correct. This website does none of the above. You type your acct information into two blank boxes and pray that you didn't screw up. I will be taking out a loan from another bank to pay off this loan IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I've had a horrible experience with this company. I have it where my account is not allowed to go below zero and if it does the payment should be declined. Normally I'm pretty great with my money, but as of recently I haven't had much of it in my account. When an accidental payment went through they ALLOWED my account to go into the negatives instead of declining the payment. When calling while said payment was still pending, the lady assured me it would be denied after it was done pending. Next day, it went through and my account is in the negatives still with a 24-hour grace period to pay it all off when I don't get paid for another 6 days. I called again and they said there was NOTHING they could do.

Let me reiterate, my account should have NEVER been allowed to go negative from the very beginning and this isn't the FIRST TIME this has happened and they have allowed it. This company doesn't care about its customers, doesn't bother to help, and likes to steal your money. I strongly recommend going to a bank that will actually help you. Due to being a good customer for many years now and only running into this issue this past month (because, like I said, I normally have plenty of money in my account to accommodate for accidents, I've never been forced to run into this situation) I gave it an extra star. If this is how they treat good customers, I couldn't imagine how they treat others.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Worst experience with a car loan that I've ever had. Beware, Too many extra fees and they carry an additional insurance charge. I have full insurance coverage so that should've been enough. I will never use this bank again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have very bad experience with this bank! They lost my 3 car payments I paid. I have proofs from my personal bank. This is happened 6 months ago and still no money find! I called 100 times customer service, was at bank in Hinsdale, Il couple of times and still nothing. They dont even care! Horrible bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I had a 30 day free trial with a company called Gwenny B and I canceled within the time frame because the clothes were not up to my standard. So the company took money out of my account. Anyway I contacted Hunting and told them what had happened. They did a half ass investigation and sent me a letter stating that the company said I didn't cancel in a timely manner. However the documents that were sent to me confirmed that I indeed did everything that was ask of me which proved Huntington did not even review my case.

It is not even about the money because it was under 100 dollars. It is the principle. If I cannot trust them to fight for me with little things I cannot trust them to fight for me on a large scale. I am still waiting to hear about my subsequent rebuttal. No faith in the company I have been a loyal customer for years but I will not end my relationship with them. Just because you give away free pens doesn't make you customer service friendly. Shame on You Huntington. I would give them a negative star if possible, one star is too good for them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have banked with Huntington for over 3 years now. They are the best bank I have dealt with by far. The banking experience is honest and straightforward and my personal banker Melissa at The Mill Run Branch in Hilliard is the best. She goes out of her way to take care of her customers and cares about them like family. My girlfriend had an awful experience with PNC. I recommend she open a Huntington account. She is also very happy with Huntington and the 24 hour grace has saved her from overdraft fees on a couple occasions. Great Job Huntington. Keep up the good work.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

It is hard to believe that this bank, Huntington National Bank, will do this to their loyal customers. My wife’s boat was damaged through a hurricane. My insurance paid fast and friendly. Since the boat was refinance through this bank I had to send the check to the bank for endorsement so they could pay the repair shop. My boat got fix and I’m having issue the bank releasing the check to the repair shop which they are well known for 35 years. This is unheard of. They have not gave me explanation and the check, it’s been in the bank for two months. This is bizarre. I pay for insurance and the bank gives me headaches even though payments have been on time always and customer has a great Beacon score. If I would’ve known this since the beginning I would’ve used another bank.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I frequent the branch on Mound/Central Ave. In Columbus Ohio and while most employees there are FRIENDLY I don't have time to wait in long lines while they are daily understaffed with tellers. I run a business and do the business banking but when I have to take 20-45 minutes in line to do our banking it gets VERY FRUSTRATING. I've even resorted to driving to another branch 10 minutes away versus this 1 that is 2 minutes because I can get back quicker including driving time.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I've been with Huntington for 10 years. I can honestly say, I've never had any issues (which is why I rated 2 stars). That's until this past weekend, when my debit card # was stolen, and thieves spent $900+ from my account. 4 separate transactions were approved in a matter moments. The transactions were from California, Minnesota, and New York. I live in none of these states. Just moments before these transactions took place, I used my debit card and pin, in my home state. One would think a bank would recognize that its literally impossible for me to go coast to coast in an hours time. As soon as the fraud alert text was received, my wife called to advise it was not us. We were advised the fees were being declined, and our money would be back in our account.

Long story short, it's been 4 days, 3 phones calls, 2 supervisor talked to, and I still don't have my money. We've been assured it's been 'rushed', but it could take up to 10 days. Needless to say, this is completely unacceptable. As a banking institution, established to protect and secure the funds of its clients, federally insured up to $250k, there is no reason I should be punished as the victim of theft. If your investigation were to yield results that this was my error, you have the power to reimburse yourself, and prosecute to the fullest extent. I completely understand that due process is required to determine what actually happened. The problem is, I'm the victim here, and feel like the criminal. People have livelihoods, and need to pay our bills. $900 is much more of an impact to the customer.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I’ve been with Huntington bank for about 2 year, the bank services is amazing and help a lot but their call center representative are horrible, they have bad attitude and they don’t care. Last time I called a lady was really unprofessional and when I said I wanna close my account she said, "Ok. Bye bye" and hung up on me. I would suggest that they pay a little more extra and hire professional people.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

A friend that had his ID stolen needed his check cashed. Well I cashed it for him from withdrawing money from an ATM. When I went to deposit the check in my account he signed it. Wrote pay to the order to me on it. They refused to accept letting me deposit it. What mind you I have several thousand dollars in my account. This was a $236.00 check so I could cover it if something was to bounce but it would not. It was his paycheck. I do not understand why I couldn't deposit this. Just ridiculous. Highly upset over this!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have a car loan through Huntington and it has been the WORST experience of my life. The online banking system is beyond shady. IT WILL tell you your transaction was successful but if you have a digit wrong, the transaction STILL goes through but IT NEVER tells you that. No kickback nor email. Instead they call you weeks later to tell you. So you’re slapped with a $35 late fee. There are SOOO many fees with them. You can’t set up automated payments without going to a branch. That’s what I did and confronted the manager and she said “I’ve never had anyone complain.” I told her it’s a scam. They are scamming me for late fees and she got defensive. Run far, far away from them. We are in 2017, the fact they make banking so difficult only means they are scamming everyone.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I am so fed up with Huntington call center and how they treat someone that is on an account and also power of attorney of a soldier that is on the same account. One they want to argue and not look up the document and two they do not want to help. Now while she is serving overseas wants her to call them. The whole point of granting me (her mother) as power of attorney is to handle this while she is fighting for our county. Huntington also you are charging international fees and no one will help on the call center. GET YOUR CALL CENTER PEOPLE TRAINED! Customer service is REALLY BAD. I will be looking for a new bank.

Huntington Bank Company Information