1.29/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

121 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I have banked with Huntington for many years and preferred them over all other banks for a long time. I have had savings, checking, auto loan, mortgage, retirement, and business accounts with them. But over the past two years I have had so many problems with getting hit with seemingly random "monthly service fees" on accounts that I have had for years that never had service fees before. I also had issues with automatic payments somehow not going through from my Huntington checking account to my Huntington auto loan account. And then I would get hit with fines even though I had not done anything to cause the problem. I thought it would be no problem to get it sorted out but I was shocked that they were not understanding about it at all and treated me like it was my fault. It happened more than once and it got to the point that they would only partially refund me on these mystery fees.

Long story short I ended up canceling all of my deposit accounts with Huntington because I just never knew when some kind of fee was going to appear on my account. And neither the customer service folks nor the local branch employees could tell me why I was being charged these fees. I even got escalated from one manager to the next and nobody could give me an explanation or assure me that the issue would be fixed. I estimate that I probably ended up paying $600-$800 in non-reimbursed fees in the first quarter of 2018. I won't be surprised if I hear about some sort of class action lawsuit in the next couple years.

Unfortunately I also administer a business account with Huntington as the bookkeeper of an organization I am involved in. And wouldn't you know it that this month we started getting some mysterious "monthly service fees" out of nowhere that we have never been assessed before. It's infuriating and I have lost all trust in this bank. I think that this sort of conduct borders on criminal. Do not bank with Huntington, period. There is no shortage of other options. The way I have been treated with Chase is like night and day by comparison.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I had a promotion code that offers $500 for a combined checking and money market account of over $25000. In early August, I went to the local bank in Parma, OH and told them that I wanted to take advantage of this offer. After 60 days I went to the local bank asking why they hadn’t credit my account as promised. They told me it is 90 days so after 100 days it was still not credited to my account. I called the customer service and was told the link between accounts was incorrect and they would investigate the case and constantly update me. I didn’t received a single update so after 10 days I called again, I was told investigation was not in my favor because the $500 is for checking account only. That was a flat lie since the promotion was clearly said for combination of checking & money market. I have decided to close my accounts in the next couple of weeks because I cannot trust these people to keep my money.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Huntington decided it was okay without my permission or knowledge to take $2,400 out of my savings account and put into someone else’s account. After spending an hour on the phone with them, I have to take more time out of my day and physically go into the bank and have them fix THEIR MISTAKE. I definitely do not trust them with my savings any longer and will be closing my account after getting my money back.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We have an auto loan with Huntington Bank and thought we were nearing end of 6 year loan. We've paid our auto loan online and have always paid the amount requested for the payment. Except for 3 times when we skipped payments around Christmas (which they and a lot of banks allow). We did have to make late payments, because we missed due dates by a few days (but had never been 30 days late until now). We made payments online in October and November and then were notified we were 30 days late for not making a payment of around $1600 because the loan had become due. This is 5 times the amount of our normal payment and never showed online where we make our payments. They say this large amount is due to the 3 deferred payments and approximately $600 in interest charged on the late payments.

My complaint is why didn't these amounts ever show online until we called today to complain, and now is too late. We now have a 30 day late payment on our credit report. When questioned about why this amount wasn't show online, they said it wasn't their policy and then they went on to tell me why it was my fault. When all they had to do is put the information where we and most people make payments. I've learned Huntington is definitely not about helping or doing the right thing. They're just about making excuses and blaming customers for doing everything wrong. They're just unable to say we're sorry, this should have shown online. What can we do to make it right.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

After explaining my situation to 5 or 6 different employees who all tell me different solutions, my account is still overdrawn for almost $2,000. They said I could remove a “stop pay” from my account after these pending charges came off and I did. So I make the payment for rent and wake up the next day to see my account was now overdrawn by 4 rent checks!! So now I have zero cash, bills to pay tomorrow and bounced transactions to go along with my overdrawn account. This is the second time this bank has told me the wrong thing to do and screwed me financially. Once this is fixed I’m switching banks! They are awful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

One month ago, four fraudulent transactions appeared in my online bank statement. I called immediately and the charges were even still pending and had not been charged. The customer service representative refused to block the transactions and said that they needed to investigate. The transactions together, totaled $1200. Within two days, they issued me a provisional credit. I never received any further communication from Huntington, regarding the transactions, leading me to assume that everything had been resolved.

Fast forward exactly one month to the date that the provisional credit was issued, and Huntington Bank pulled all of their provisional funds, in a series of four transactions. When I went into my branch to ask what was going on, I was informed that I never should have touched those provisional funds, and they were still investigating and the funds aren't guaranteed. The financial pressure mounts as I am now facing several overdraft fees, as many of my bills are debited from my account monthly and this move has wiped out almost my entire account. Not only do I have a family to take care of, but this is also in light of the holiday season and could not have happened at a worse time.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I paid off my car loan by calling and getting the payoff amount, paying over the phone with a confirmation number. Two days later, I noticed the bank withdrew my regular payment from my checking account. I called to have that payment reversed and canceled and the "customer service" representative told me all that they could do is wait until both transactions posted and then after 15 days will write me a refund check. Seriously?!? Meanwhile, it has already cleared from my checking account and I get to sit and wait until they write me a refund check for their mistake. I will never use this bank again for anything.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Back in September I filed a dispute with Huntington Bank for a transaction I never approved. The bank credited my account then 2 months later decided to remove the money back out of my account. Now I'm facing overdraft fees on items I purchased prior to them removing and overstating my account. As of today they have charged me four overdraft charges of $37.50 in 1 day. Needless to say, I will NOT BE USING THIS BANK AND CLOSE MY ACCOUNT ONCE I FINALLY GET IT PAID OFF. It's really zero stars rating.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I have been with Huntington for 7 years. I have recently moved out of state and there aren’t any branches here in Florida. From the move I made a dispute with the movers I hired, Charter Van Lines a whole different story. Huntington reversed a charge I had requested for breach of contract. With no notice to me, the bank then withdrew the money they credited back which caused a windfall in my account. Now, I am not able to go to a branch to resolve the matter. I explained this and also asked why I didn’t receive anything to alert me. The case was being reviewed again per Charter Van Lines. They told me they sent me documents to review but again I never received anything!

I told them to look in their returned mail, I’m sure my statement could be easily confirmed. So I tried to talk with them they were rude and smug! They misplaced my retirement ach’s Twice! Not once but twice and proceeded to tell me it wasn’t their fault. Hello banking people, if you check my normal monthly deposits you will see the dates these ach’s are regularly deposited. Nothing is more irritating than when a mistake is made you deny it and treat your customer so horribly! I finally said close the account! And still with 4 days making it one month, they still have not closed it! I called again and again they were rude and smug! Just wanted to let others be aware so this nightmare doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have banked with Huntington for about 8 years. My branch has always been nice and helpful. They treat me with respect even when I come in to have something notarized for free. I do not have much money yet I am still treated like I have millions in the bank.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

We opened a business checking and personal checking accounts. We were offered a promotional 0% interest for balance transfers to the Voice Credit Card. We transferred a balance from another card and began using the credit card for purchases. Every month we would pay the balance of the purchases we made, yet we were getting interest fees. We took our statement to our branch and they called their credit department. We were told we had to pay the monthly purchase amount plus the minimum due to avoid interest. The following statement we did just that and got charged interest again. I called CS and got a very rude unhelpful woman. I then spoke to the teller at my branch and she filed a dispute for me, and stated that what I was being told was not what she had been trained about the way the 0% balance transfer works.

I received a call a week later from the resolution dept. and when I explained the situation to the woman she said she would have to look into it and get back to me. About a week later she called and basically said that because Huntington uses a daily average balance that even though we pay off the purchase balance every month we will still have interest from any purchases made after the last date on the statement. The only way to avoid interest is to not use the card and only pay on the balance transfer. This is so shady that even their own staff can't understand it and explain it. I spoke to four different people and got four completely different answers. Needless to say I will be taking my business elsewhere. Anybody has got to be better than this crooked bank. As a side note: because we were told incorrect information when we opened our accounts we ended up having to switch all of them. BEWARE! 1 star only because it won't let me give none.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Only because zero stars are not an option. Made payment through website on time, received confirmation number. Received letter that I was late. Call CS, was told she could see payment but some information must have been wrong because it did not go through. No one contacted me that there was an error, charged me late charges and reported me late to credit bureaus when I was not late and they could clearly see it. Unethical practices of scammers. I will refinance asap and never deal with them again.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’ll keep this short. Much better options. They closed my account for the dumbest reason I’ve ever heard. My ex is a risk. We split a year ago and got separate accounts. Mine's fine. Never an issue. Hers was closed. Lol. She never changed her address so we share the address still. Hmm. No thanks. What a joke. Rude ** people too. I took their pen and she said I was stealing. I told her to sue me.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Some, not all, but definitely more than a few agents in the business department of this bank's customer service helpline are extremely rude, and difficult to deal with. They have no respect whatsoever for the client, and will not only talk over you continuously, but they also have a very condescending attitude and won't allow the customer to get a word in edgewise. It's a very "I know better than you, and that's how I'm going to treat you" type of approach. It's off-putting and extremely irritating considering that many of them have little to no idea what they're actually talking about. It definitely makes me question whether or not I want to continue banking with Huntington concerning both my business and personal finances. This is something that I strongly suggest they work on sooner rather than later before they begin to lose clients, and by extension, their clients' funds.

Their policies for disputing charges, and providing evidence of said fraudulent charges are also very complicated and inconvenient. If a client is required to provide evidence supporting their claims, then they should be able to do so via email rather than having to print out the evidence, and take even more time out of their busy schedules in order to travel to a branch and turn it in by hand. It is ridiculous that a bank as large as Huntington still has such outdated systems that they aren't even able to accept forms, which they themselves request, by any other means than delivery by hand. We live in a digital age, and Huntington would do well to catch up with the rest of the world in that regard.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I had a 5 year loan and never had 1 late payment. When the balance got down to a thousand dollars they wanted it all at once. I continued making regular payments and they reported me late three times to the credit bureau. JUST RUINED MY CREDIT SCORE.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2018

I posted an updated review. Huntington honored the offer after determining the promotional code I had was in fact valid. I would suggest they change the font so that it is not so difficult to decipher the letter's and numbers.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I received a mailer offering $300 bonus for a new account if you made $2000 in deposits within 60 days. This offer was also on their website when I opened the account from home (so convenient... so I thought). Well, the Promotional code I had on the mailer was not accepted by their system but since it was offered on their site I thought no problem right? Wrong! I contacted their customer service department because I never saw the $300 and they said the code is "not recognized". I offered to send them a copy but they didn't want it. They put in a dispute but said I would likely not receive the $300 so I will be closing the account just on principle. I can't deal with shady businesses practices.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I am so sick of companies not taking responsibility for their employees' actions or lack of actions. I am tired. They always drop the ball and us consumers have to pay for it even when we did what we should have done to avoid it. You can never speak to a manager to get help because of these imbeciles. I did a stop payment on an ACH and of course the rep never put it on so today I seen it was pending, tried calling the bank and they give me the runaround talking about, "We can't guarantee we can stop it". Well, I don't know why because I have requested this done Days ago, I am filing bankruptcy and now since Huntington wants to drop the ball yet again, they can be involved in the bankruptcy now and be out 500!!!

Sara the phone manager is an individual who should not be in charge of anything to do with people. According to her, she is only manager of call center, I can file a complaint against her but she has to take it, which is bull and she refused to let me talk to anyone else but her. She is TOP DOG I guess. I am done with Huntington, leaving today and finding new bank. Good luck, no wonder you guys are going down. I did what I was suppose to do and yet again huntington dropped the ball.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

There is no way to put travel alert online. I had to call and the travel alert could be of maximum 30 days. After 30 days, I had to call internationally and verify all the security questions but still they had to transfer me to a specialist because I could not do text verification. International calls are expensive. Why would they not accept my verification when I can already log into the account and also verify their codes and my social security, card, security number and everything? How could I do a text verification when I am abroad and do not have access to my number/texts? Pathetic.

On return I found out that they were double dipping. I always try to pay on time and for last two months, they took money out twice. With all other banks, if I set up for autopayment but want to pay early, they would just acknowledge the payment and not make payment twice. It took me 21 minutes to connect to credit card service. Amazing! And they can't fix all the problems and you'd have to call back during the daytime. This card is worth nothing! I should stick my Chase Sapphire, Ventura and Discover.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Had a checking account with them & took out a 5 year loan for $3000 back in December 2012. My account got compromised in May 2016 & was closed by them. The amount I got wasn't enough to pay all my expenses. My VA check was sent back making all my bills late including the loan with them. Got caught up fairly quick on all including the loan with them. Was within 2 payments of having it paid in full & they added $1499 to it in December 2017. Have made 1 of the 2 remaining payments plus I've made a payment to a collection agency. They continue to mail me letters from their recovery department saying to call them. Am not going to do so as one of the credit reporting agencies states it's 100% paid while the other 2 shows it's 52% paid.

Am going to make that final payment before the end of the year & am including a note stating they won't be receiving any more payments from me as I haven't any more payment coupons left. Am not going to contact them regarding that account as it's paid in full & the next letter I get from them is one stating it's paid in full because it will be.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had/have a business account with Huntington Bank. There were some fraudulent charges on my account. After submitting proof that this transaction was not legitimate they assured me the charges were reversed and I had nothing to worry about. They canceled my card and issued me another one. Then 3 months later they decided the charges were legit even with proof they weren't, AND I'm being charged $36 every 48 hours that I don't pay it. I currently owe $160 for a $75 illegal payment, they refuse to close my account until I pay AND they can continue to charge me $36 every 2 days... better READ THAT FINE PRINT... THEY LIE, THEY'RE THIEVES!??

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I asked Huntington TWICE to transfer money over to a different account after I retired. After the 3rd time calling them and the other bank account, Huntington never transferred my money and they closed the account, without record of the account period.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Take dormant accounts warnings seriously! Many states, like Ohio, have laws to channel money from accounts of the deceased to the state. In the case of Huntington National Bank ("Huntington" ), "under state law" it reports an account as "dormant" (First step in the $$ going to the State) if you have no transaction with that account for 11 or more months and IF, and only if, 1) the account is not "linked" to an "active account;" 2) You do not have another "active" account with Huntington; or 3) you do not inquire of them about the account during that period. Note that all three of these conditions would indicate that you are not dead.

All three conditions that bar dormant status applied to our money market account in question: 1) It WAS linked to an active (checking) account (confirmed several times by Huntington); 2) I and my wife did write to Huntington and telephoned its representatives multiple times about the account after the false claim that has become "dormant": and 3) We (still and temporarily) HAVE other active accounts with Huntington. So, one could reasonably conclude that we are not dead yet.

Nevertheless, we received an email (Unsigned. No return mail or email address. Email replies not allowed. Entity sending not identified) stating that in a few weeks our money market account would go "dormant" with several adverse consequences (The ultimate loss of the account balance was NOT mentioned, but the statute ultimately requires it.)

You are not allowed by Huntington to communicate with the "dormant accounts department" which is driving this lash-up - only with the utterly clueless "customer service representatives," who do not even understand the issue, much less have reasoned answers. And, no, they will not transfer your call to someone who can rationally discuss the matter. Huntington ignores everything you point out and grinds on down the path to, ultimately, sending your money to the State. Just after we received the initial "dormant account" warning, the local Huntington branch Manager, familiar with our business with Huntington entities, assured me, face-to-face, that we could ignore that notice because, "obviously," the account was not "dormant."

In the almost two months after I pointed out his assurances in one of my letters to Huntington, he utterly ceased to be available to speak to me by telephone or in person. (I do hope he did not get in trouble for being right. He is the only Huntington representative who comes off looking anything like "customer focused," and he knew the Huntington rules on dormant accounts, when no other Huntington representative I have reached has had a clue.)

Even in response to the federal banking authorities (the useless Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) the only communication from Huntington, signed by their primary company advocate "Sue ** "[Ironically mistitled "Customer Advocate"]) mindlessly repeated the conclusory, "The above-mentioned [account]... is in an inactive status...," ignoring the several reasons why it is not dormant under Huntington's published practices or the state statute. (Is "inactive" other than "dormant" or does the writer simply not know the Huntington terminology?) She attached one month's bank record to prove a year's inactivity. All the records prove is that the account in question is "linked" to an active account, precluding dormancy under Huntington's published practices or Ohio law.)

Additionally, at least two other Huntington reps told me on the telephone that, although knowing nothing about the issue, they could see that our money market account was not dormant. Their reasoning to that, correct, conclusion is unknown. We gave up and closed the account before Huntington could send our money to the State. Guess we are alive after all, reports of our deaths being exaggerated and all that. Others should be warned about this arrogant company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

A personal check written to a creditor was stolen first week of July 2018 either from a drop box at postal branch or some other way? Doesn't matter! What mattered was finding out the check had been altered/forged over 08-16-2018 then talked to over a dozen people over the phone who said they were bankers?? Each one I talked to over the next several days told me something different but not one gave me all the information I needed! Then when I went to branch in frustration, they said I couldn't do anything till they had a police report filed. So that I did.

Then back to branch office where they said nothing??? Then they got upset because I got angry and yelled. Go figure. Now it is 09-14-2018 and my money has not been returned to my account, and they tell me I have to fill out an affidavit as well, even though police have already identified person who stole check?? It's been one big mess for me at 67 years old, never had anything like this happen ever before and it really is disgusting to be treated as I have by a bank I have used for over 5 years!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I have been a happy customer with Huntington for about 15 years, but their customer service seems to have declined recently. Huntington has a lot of ATMs, however too often they are out of cash or are not working. They refuse to waive other ATM fees in these instances. I would like a bank where I can access my money when I need it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Never apply for a business loan with this bank. They don’t know what they do. Its just back and forward and don’t go anywhere. Jeremy ** business loan administration make me signed the same document 3 times and every time the docs was wrong. What the heck with this people.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I got a auto loan with Huntington through a dealership. Dumb mistake! They gave me a 6.4% interest rate! I have a 760 credit score! They never sent me any letters welcoming me to the bank or providing my account details. I figured it all out by going online. But that was terrible too! You have to CALL THEM to enroll in auto-pay! AND you have to print of a letter, fill it out, and mail it back within so many days! WHY EVEN HAVE AN ONLINE SITE!!! After several disappointing calls, I find I have a pay-off penalty of $500+! I decided that was the last straw and refinance the loan through my personal bank.

Huntington RECEIVED THE CHECK but sent it BACK to my bank!!! They said they didn't know how to apply it! They never called me and said my bank was unwilling to help when they called and faxed. The check was sent to Huntington with a letter stating what it was for and had my information and signature. Now Huntington is happily collecting daily interest while I try to get it paid off... AGAIN!!! They are willingly incompetent in order to steal even more interest and increased pay-off penalty! DO NOT BANK WITH HUNTINGTON!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

So I've been with them for a few years now and I am extremely upset with them. I get paid every week and I know how much money I earn. I pay my bills and go out for lunch before shopping for essentials. On multiple occasions, the fast food transaction will show up right away and I spend what I have left. Then a few days later it disappears from my transactions without refunding the money for the transaction. It then shows up days later and puts my account in the negative. When I tried contacting them about it, they told me it was my fault and I need to balance a checkbook better.

I was pissed because it shouldn't be my fault for their system messing up and their attitude to fix the issue was nasty. I have added up my deposits and transactions and it shows I had enough money for everything and they are stealing money from me because they aren't depositing the money from the hidden transactions before taking it out again. So basically I am being charged twice for one transaction. I would bank elsewhere. It's not just fast food, it can happen to any type of transaction but most often on the fast food ones.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I've been with Huntington Bank for over a yr. now. I have a basic checking acct. with them. The branch I go to is in a grocery store near my home and the times they are open are ideal for me. I really liked the online banking, but I've been locked out of my account. I've tried to unlock it using the computer, over the phone and even in person but nothing has worked and they've pretty much told me it's my problem. Shouldn't a customer's problem be theirs too?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

One of the worst experiences in banking. As a realtor I have closed dozens of loans. My HELOC loan is at ONE MONTH, waiting on closing. Michael **

NMLS # ** has been useless getting answers about why the delay, only responding that we are in final underwriting (3 weeks) and he will let me know when we are ready to close. AVOID.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I paid off my loan in June, 2018 and as of August 2018, I still do not have my vehicle title. I have called multiple times and get different answers from everyone I talk with. Each person tells me the title will be released and it will be 4-5 business days. I have even talked with supervisors of the Customer Service department. It has been 38 days and I still do not have a lien release OR my vehicle title. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Huntington Bank Company Information