1.27/5
Based on 51 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Huntington Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 25, 2018

60 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

While we all have those banks where yes you pay on time and they smile and you go on. What really rates a lender to me is when you are going through a rough patch how they deal with it. I originally was with First Merit (they were even worse) but they were bought it by Huntington. Come to find out First Merit tacked on random late charges that are inaccurate and to transfer over to Huntington. Now instead of looking through these charges and verifying them Huntington who bought out the bank decides if you want them off you go ahead and do it. This bank is sleazy, rude, and incompetent if you are dealing with any kind of bump in the road. You are better off with one of the hometown credit unions. I can’t wait to be rid of Huntington. Awful bank awful people.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been Banking with Huntington for quite a while now. I have had a lot of fraud happen and the last that really got me is I added my girlfriend to my account and 2 days later they took well over 1000 dollars out of my account because she owed them from years ago. So the bank I trust with my money just stole it from me. When we contacted the HR department the lady was very rude and said, "I'm not giving you any money back." I asked if I could make payments. She kinda laughed and said, "No I'm not refunding anything" with a big attitude!! I asked why I wasn't told when I added her that she had a balance. The lady said, "We don't have to tell you that and you signed the paperwork stating we can take your money at any time for reasons like this." I explained to her I will lose my house over this and she didn't even care so please reconsider banking here. Have a great day.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I unfortunately gave this company way too many years of business. They weren't willing to refinance my car so I had to take my business somewhere else. When I stopped the auto pay I wasn't told it takes 5 days to become effective. So when my car was paid off in full by the new refinancing company, these people went and took another payment out of my checking account when there was a zero balance. And now they expect me to wait 10-20 days to get my money back on their incompetence.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I received an auto loan from Huntington Bank through my car dealership in 2017. Here are my primary concerns: They do not have easily accessible customer service. There is no email address where you can upload attachments, for example. You can call and speak to someone on the phone if you want to be put on hold for half the day. There is nowhere you can go to provide feedback. When you enter in your bank account information to submit an electronic payment for your auto loan, the routing number/bank account number example that they show is backwards to the way they have you enter the data. This is very confusing... And if you accidentally flip-flop the bank acct / routing #s you will get a 'funds not available fee' and your payment will be late on top of it for additional fees.

The car loan online payment site has no history of transaction or schedules of transactions. For example, I just submitted a payment and have no idea if it is actually processing or if I accidentally goofed when typing in a number or what-not. They provide NO email receipts/confirmations, therefore I cannot 'add receipt' to this post. You cannot save any payment information. Most places will make you type in your bank acct # twice so that it can verify that you typed it incorrectly. Or, if you type in routing number the name of your bank will pop up so that you can verify that it is correct. This website does none of the above. You type your acct information into two blank boxes and pray that you didn't screw up. I will be taking out a loan from another bank to pay off this loan IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I've had a horrible experience with this company. I have it where my account is not allowed to go below zero and if it does the payment should be declined. Normally I'm pretty great with my money, but as of recently I haven't had much of it in my account. When an accidental payment went through they ALLOWED my account to go into the negatives instead of declining the payment. When calling while said payment was still pending, the lady assured me it would be denied after it was done pending. Next day, it went through and my account is in the negatives still with a 24-hour grace period to pay it all off when I don't get paid for another 6 days. I called again and they said there was NOTHING they could do.

Let me reiterate, my account should have NEVER been allowed to go negative from the very beginning and this isn't the FIRST TIME this has happened and they have allowed it. This company doesn't care about its customers, doesn't bother to help, and likes to steal your money. I strongly recommend going to a bank that will actually help you. Due to being a good customer for many years now and only running into this issue this past month (because, like I said, I normally have plenty of money in my account to accommodate for accidents, I've never been forced to run into this situation) I gave it an extra star. If this is how they treat good customers, I couldn't imagine how they treat others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Worst experience with a car loan that I've ever had. Beware, Too many extra fees and they carry an additional insurance charge. I have full insurance coverage so that should've been enough. I will never use this bank again.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I have very bad experience with this bank! They lost my 3 car payments I paid. I have proofs from my personal bank. This is happened 6 months ago and still no money find! I called 100 times customer service, was at bank in Hinsdale, Il couple of times and still nothing. They dont even care! Horrible bank.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I had a 30 day free trial with a company called Gwenny B and I canceled within the time frame because the clothes were not up to my standard. So the company took money out of my account. Anyway I contacted Hunting and told them what had happened. They did a half ass investigation and sent me a letter stating that the company said I didn't cancel in a timely manner. However the documents that were sent to me confirmed that I indeed did everything that was ask of me which proved Huntington did not even review my case.

It is not even about the money because it was under 100 dollars. It is the principle. If I cannot trust them to fight for me with little things I cannot trust them to fight for me on a large scale. I am still waiting to hear about my subsequent rebuttal. No faith in the company I have been a loyal customer for years but I will not end my relationship with them. Just because you give away free pens doesn't make you customer service friendly. Shame on You Huntington. I would give them a negative star if possible, one star is too good for them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have banked with Huntington for over 3 years now. They are the best bank I have dealt with by far. The banking experience is honest and straightforward and my personal banker Melissa at The Mill Run Branch in Hilliard is the best. She goes out of her way to take care of her customers and cares about them like family. My girlfriend had an awful experience with PNC. I recommend she open a Huntington account. She is also very happy with Huntington and the 24 hour grace has saved her from overdraft fees on a couple occasions. Great Job Huntington. Keep up the good work.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

It is hard to believe that this bank, Huntington National Bank, will do this to their loyal customers. My wife’s boat was damaged through a hurricane. My insurance paid fast and friendly. Since the boat was refinance through this bank I had to send the check to the bank for endorsement so they could pay the repair shop. My boat got fix and I’m having issue the bank releasing the check to the repair shop which they are well known for 35 years. This is unheard of. They have not gave me explanation and the check, it’s been in the bank for two months. This is bizarre. I pay for insurance and the bank gives me headaches even though payments have been on time always and customer has a great Beacon score. If I would’ve known this since the beginning I would’ve used another bank.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I frequent the branch on Mound/Central Ave. In Columbus Ohio and while most employees there are FRIENDLY I don't have time to wait in long lines while they are daily understaffed with tellers. I run a business and do the business banking but when I have to take 20-45 minutes in line to do our banking it gets VERY FRUSTRATING. I've even resorted to driving to another branch 10 minutes away versus this 1 that is 2 minutes because I can get back quicker including driving time.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I've been with Huntington for 10 years. I can honestly say, I've never had any issues (which is why I rated 2 stars). That's until this past weekend, when my debit card # was stolen, and thieves spent $900+ from my account. 4 separate transactions were approved in a matter moments. The transactions were from California, Minnesota, and New York. I live in none of these states. Just moments before these transactions took place, I used my debit card and pin, in my home state. One would think a bank would recognize that its literally impossible for me to go coast to coast in an hours time. As soon as the fraud alert text was received, my wife called to advise it was not us. We were advised the fees were being declined, and our money would be back in our account.

Long story short, it's been 4 days, 3 phones calls, 2 supervisor talked to, and I still don't have my money. We've been assured it's been 'rushed', but it could take up to 10 days. Needless to say, this is completely unacceptable. As a banking institution, established to protect and secure the funds of its clients, federally insured up to $250k, there is no reason I should be punished as the victim of theft. If your investigation were to yield results that this was my error, you have the power to reimburse yourself, and prosecute to the fullest extent. I completely understand that due process is required to determine what actually happened. The problem is, I'm the victim here, and feel like the criminal. People have livelihoods, and need to pay our bills. $900 is much more of an impact to the customer.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I’ve been with Huntington bank for about 2 year, the bank services is amazing and help a lot but their call center representative are horrible, they have bad attitude and they don’t care. Last time I called a lady was really unprofessional and when I said I wanna close my account she said, "Ok. Bye bye" and hung up on me. I would suggest that they pay a little more extra and hire professional people.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

A friend that had his ID stolen needed his check cashed. Well I cashed it for him from withdrawing money from an ATM. When I went to deposit the check in my account he signed it. Wrote pay to the order to me on it. They refused to accept letting me deposit it. What mind you I have several thousand dollars in my account. This was a $236.00 check so I could cover it if something was to bounce but it would not. It was his paycheck. I do not understand why I couldn't deposit this. Just ridiculous. Highly upset over this!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have a car loan through Huntington and it has been the WORST experience of my life. The online banking system is beyond shady. IT WILL tell you your transaction was successful but if you have a digit wrong, the transaction STILL goes through but IT NEVER tells you that. No kickback nor email. Instead they call you weeks later to tell you. So you’re slapped with a $35 late fee. There are SOOO many fees with them. You can’t set up automated payments without going to a branch. That’s what I did and confronted the manager and she said “I’ve never had anyone complain.” I told her it’s a scam. They are scamming me for late fees and she got defensive. Run far, far away from them. We are in 2017, the fact they make banking so difficult only means they are scamming everyone.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I am so fed up with Huntington call center and how they treat someone that is on an account and also power of attorney of a soldier that is on the same account. One they want to argue and not look up the document and two they do not want to help. Now while she is serving overseas wants her to call them. The whole point of granting me (her mother) as power of attorney is to handle this while she is fighting for our county. Huntington also you are charging international fees and no one will help on the call center. GET YOUR CALL CENTER PEOPLE TRAINED! Customer service is REALLY BAD. I will be looking for a new bank.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

My father has a car loan through this bank. He went into a nursing home but wanted to keep his car so my brother offered to take care of his bills for him. They wouldn't accept a payment from my brother until he proved he was his executor. My father was still alive at this point! So we got that straightened out. Well, we lost my dad a month and a half ago. My brother missed the ONE PAYMENT between then and now after we informed them of his death and they put it out for repossession!!! AND they made him prove again that he was executor and didn't accept the proof they had accepted previously! So my brother paid the missed payment but they said he'll have to take over the payments and, until he officially does that, the car will remain out for repossession! This is truly an awful company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I went to the Huntington Bank on Hamilton Ave, in College Hill. This bank customer service is horrible, they are not polite at all. The customer has to wait like 45 minutes to speak with a Bank manager. Then there's only one person you can speak with, and Lord forbid if your account information has been stolen, like mine was, they told me to come back, later. Wow, they aren't as truthful as I thought.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have spent 8 phone calls and roughly 5 hours speaking with 12 different Huntington Bank representatives in an attempt to SIMPLY receive a lien release letter. In addition, my insurance rep has also been on conference call with me and Huntington in effort to resolve this issue and with all the promises and Bank reps telling us the letter would be sent, or has been sent, the letter has yet to be delivered. I have requested regular mail twice, fax twice and email once. And still I wait. No customer should be subject to such incompetence. Of the first 7 people I spoke with I was struck by the inconsistency of information in each conversation. It seems as though the representatives are unsure of what can and cannot be done.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Huntington bank uses false advertising to attract customers to their bank. Their recent promotion is not honored, as told to me by LaShawnda the supervisor in customer service. She stated "on the back end, it states that it is up to the bank's discretion whether to honor it." This is based on an algorithm. This is false advertising and designed to bring in and rip off individuals that are in a lower income bracket.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I've been here since 10:18 am and I'm still standing in line, while there is three teller at the front! This is not good customer service. Time is money and I'm losing money. I was at the Huntington on E Broad St? No one welcome me. I will never come to location Ever again. Bad customer service. No one paid attention to the clients coming in.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have an acct with US Bank as well. I opened this one for my daughter and myself. Ever since I opened up this acct I have had nothing but problems... Can't someone there count??? My acct has had many mistakes due to incorrect calculations!!! Is this a way of ripping people off???! I'm closing this ** acct and staying with my US Bank. At least they can count there!!! They are reliable and honest which is NOT something I can say for Huntington!!! Sooo disappointed!!! ☹️

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The online bankers are poorly trained and rude. Ask the same question to 3 people and you will get three different answers. Lien release documents never arrived at my home and the bank refused to fax a copy to complete sale of an automobile. They offered to snail mail another hard copy and quoted another 15-20 Days. Their systems are antiquated and poorly executed.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I used Huntington 24hr grace period for some purchases I made and deposited the cash on Sunday, the purchases didn't clear until Tuesday, but they gave me the fees anyway. When I looked at my account, they had posted it so the purchases cleared then they deposited the cash into my account. When I called them in regards to this matter, the guy began to raise his voice at me and tell me that the grace period did not apply because you have to be at a 0 balance. When I asked why did it show I had this grace period online, he tried saying it didn't. So I explained that this was false advertisement, he got upset and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I told him he needed to stop raising his voice at me and as a retail manager for the last 20 years I know what false advertisement is. He still refused to return the fees. Lost my business, I go with a bank that doesn't steal your money!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am very displeased with Huntington customer services on the phone. It's ridiculous. You'd wait 30 mins for ANYTHING. My balance says I have my direct deposit but the ATM says otherwise! FIX THAT. If I don't have the money it shouldn't say I have it available for withdrawal! Ludicrous! That's why the call volume is so high too many problems! I'm not funding YOUR investments for this. YOU make money off us customers. We deserve more respect???

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

When trying to get a hold of a banker on the phone, my 2-5 minute wait is sitting at 40 minutes and counting. This is twice in a row, though I only lasted 20 minutes last time. Big banks all have such similar rates and services, terrible customer service is a real good reason to stay away from this one.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I received a check issued by Huntington Bank from one of my tenants. The amount was $1900 for rent; it was a Bank Check, not a personal check. I noticed the check was unusual; the account number was written in pen rather than printed on the bottom of the check. The amount was also hand-written rather than typed or machine printed. It certainly did not look like an official bank check. When I tried to deposit it remotely to my Bank of America account, the system wouldn't accept it. Not surprising since the format of the check was not like a normal check. Next, I took the check to Bank of America in person to deposit it. The check was not accepted by the bank because of the hand-written account number; BOA suggests I take it to Huntington.

So I drove to Huntington Bank to either cash the check or have them issue a check or money order in a standard format acceptable by the rest of the banking system. My fairly lengthy discussion involved everyone working in the small branch office; their conclusion was they could issue a check in a normal format or money order, but would charge me $10. I refused to pay this. I reminded them they issued a check to their customer which is not acceptable to another major bank. They suggested I use even more of my time, and their customer's time, to get different check from him. He is out of town and this isn't possible. The manager explained that was the best they could do, I told him it was not acceptable.

Very poor customer service, and a very unprofessional banking operation. I receive and deposit hundreds of checks; it's extremely uncommon to have a check completely rejected by the banking system. I have operated my business for 33 years and it only happened once before; with a similar check from Huntington Bank with hand-written account numbers. I would be embarrassed to be an employee or customer of such an unprofessional business. My experience was at the branch in Bath Township, Michigan (inside the Meijer store). The convenience of having a branch located in a grocery store is not worth trusting your finances to a bank that can't even issue a check in a form acceptable to the rest of the banking system. No reason to do your banking at Huntington; there are many great banks providing convenience, accuracy, and outstanding of customer service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I have a car loan through Huntington. As with the rest of my monthly bills, all I want to do is pay my bill automatically so I don't accidentally miss a payment. They don't offer an autopay option on their website. Additionally, they don't allow you to check off a "pay my monthly payment" box, so there's room for types in the amount. I've had issues with them twice in the last two months. First I had a typo in my amount so was dinged for a late payment. Then I signed up for auto-payment over the phone. But all they do when signing up for auto-payment is use the information you give them to email you a form to fill out and mail back. I was unaware of this email, so missed another payment. Everyone else in the industry allows you to sign up for auto-pay online quickly and easily. They should be doing the same.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

In July of 2017 Huntington Bank decided to do a mortgage reassessment of my account. I had been a customer since July of 2016. They raised my payment by $120.00. The reason being they said that my property taxes doubled, I contacted my tax office and was surprised to find out that my taxes actually decreased by about $10.00. I immediately contacted customer service at Huntington Bank and was advised to send proof of my taxes which I did. Well my proof supposedly got lost in the mail, I called once again and to make a long story short they found they made a mistake instead of $625.00 my payment was supposed to be $515.00.

I called today about a refund of my overpayment and was informed that not only was I not owed one I was still $58.00 in arrears, I was talked down to and treated very badly by customer service and a supervisor. Needless to say I will be refinancing through another bank, and would advise anyone who is thinking of doing business with Huntington Bank please research them before you trust them with your finances.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

My family is on vacation. My employer deposited my paycheck for me. The teller did the deposit and then she treated the deposit slip as a check and cashed it. We noticed that there was a deposit and withdraw for the amount of my check while on our trip. Called Huntington who opened a dispute. They made a deposit to cover the error and then removed it the next morning. This happened three days in a row. Saturday there was no manager or anyone in the dispute department to help. The treatment and lack of urgency was insane. I called the branch where the deposit was made, no manager and no head teller to talk to.

The teller I did talk to did not even understand that her drawer would not balance because the funds didn't leave her drawer. She didn't even understand how the drawer gets balanced. This happened to a friend of ours as well. They withdrew an auto deposit instead of depositing. Their systems are so messed up and they can't do anything to help you. All they had to do was call the branch and go back to the deposit date and see what happened and make us right again, but here we sit waiting for resolution. We will be closing all of our accounts with them when we get home.

Huntington Bank Company Information

www.huntington.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use