2.85/5

165 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

I opened a checking account with Huntington because I wanted a separate account to use for charitable giving. I thought it would be convenient because they have a branch in all the area Meijer stores. There was also a promotion for a free $125 if I setup direct deposit. I opened the account and immediately transferred $500 from my checking account at a credit union. I also setup a portion of my paycheck for direct deposit.

The transfer was actually pretty easy to setup and went through with no problems. Then I received and email that the transfer was reversed. It was followed by a letter in the mail that the account was closed with no explanation of the reason. I called the 800 number on the letter, after a lengthy hold the rep came back on the line and simply said the account was closed due to "risk". She had no other information for me, but suggested that if I went into a branch they might be able to provide more details. After reading some of the reviews here it sounds like I would be better off banking somewhere else.

Original review: June 13, 2019

Dealing with customer service department for Huntington Bank is a nightmare. Two different people at the same bank give you different answer sometimes. Very unfriendly and rude people at customer service. Need to either train their employees or hire the ones with values to provide better service to customers like other banks or credit unions. Closing my personal as well as business account with Huntington. Never doing any business again.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I previously had a checking acct. It was delinquent. They asked me to sign for a new one. Told them I had 3 bad checks. Told me they weren't showing. They opened one for me. Today, $212.00 taken from my account after 4 weeks opened. No notification. Just took the money. Now, I'll have 3 more bounce. This is wrong. It should have shown up, it was over 2 yrs. When it did Huntington should have contacted me. I was making amends with past finances and asked the clerk about them. She said "it's been too long". WOW, I'm wiped out??

Original review: June 4, 2019

Huntington level of services cost me loss of $6000/-. I reached 78% of LTV, even then they did not canceled my PMI or help anywhere close. Misguided me several time and communication is worse with response rate almost not acceptable. I will never advise anyone or refinance from this institution ever.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Free checking account not free. I hate how banks and numerous companies try so hard taking advantages of consumers/users, you basically have to watch them constantly otherwise they are not afraid either shamed for their crimes of taking advantages from you, and when you caught them and called, how "stupid" the operators to be trained to sound when you are in a situation, which they have clearly known but how bizarre they have to pretend they are the dumbest ones that may have problems to understand your situation, just to hope you to hang up the phone and would never had to call them again.

I opened a free checking account, as long as I kept a required minimum balance I wouldn't be charged a dime monthly maintenance nor fees of using this account for my money flow and credit card payments. I am aware the minimum balance, and I always make sure to meet this minimum line or choose to stay above. However Huntington bank have secretly updated (upgrade I assume) my account without acknowledging me and secretly charged my $10/month for maintenance, so called service fee for two months before I found out, I can't recall the exact date, but I know that is after New Year of 2019, Spring, my account had been charged $10 account / month for two months.

Of course I called and complained and expressed to the operator how shocking I was when my account has been changed without acknowledge the owner - this sound ridiculous for a free checking account, although I have mentioned I have always met their minimum requirement balance of $300 on a daily base. After five minutes of conversation, I clearly explained and delivered the information and hope to get this $20 fee to removed, here has to mention the operator I was talking accidentally was the one of those professional "dummies" the companies has strictly trained, they appeared to you that they "seems" understand you and your problem, well but maybe not, so i was told this $20 charge will be removed, and I was happy.

Right, only two months, two months, I have not be able to monitor, to review my account, since it set as "auto pay" for full balance for my linked credit card, after this setting apparently rest is the bank's job to make it run and happen, only two months, not long! Huntington has already trying to bite me without mercy. For instance, I have to mention yes dear you have to watch your ** closely and constantly, yes basically your are partially doing their job for monitoring activities or charges on your own bank account (isn't it always so pleasant overwatch for your banks supervise their excellent job for them).. Time has passed, there was only $10 was removed and another $10 still remains on my balance. WTH, I said, yes, Huntington you need to be put in that category, right, hell, so I am cancelling my bank account with you, until you fix your greedy sickness.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: May 24, 2019

The customer service was terrible and even laughed at me for the problems I was having. Will never come back to a bank with no respect for you. They refused to give me my money back after my card got stuck in their ATM, after it turned off and gave an error message.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I had a checking account with Huntington Bank that was closed for no reason. They will not give me a reason why they closed my account. They said we are ending their relationship with you. Worst bank in America! 0 stars!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Huntington National Bank does not accept debit card payments for auto loans. I travel a lot and rarely travel with a checkbook on hand. The debit card option is not available: Not by automatic withdraw. Not by Huntington National Banks website. Not by phone. Had I known this at the time of signing I would have declined.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Card was shut off suddenly with no warning. Absolutely no reason for this to of happened. I used it for at least 3 months before having a cart full of groceries and having to put it all back because Huntington went out of their way to shut my card off. When I call about it, my PIN was deactivated, no solution was proposed beside “for 25 dollars we can get you a new card in 5 days”. Absolutely the worst possible bank I could imagine having. Absolutely no respect for their customers. Would not recommended to my worst enemy.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I've banked with Huntington since 2011 and they were the first and only credit card that I've had since 2014 when I was 21. Out of nowhere last week they closed my account out of the blue after I paid it off. I called and asked why and she gave me some half baked excuse as to why they closed it. She said I no longer meet their criteria of owning a credit card but my credit score is Higher than it was when I got the card & and rarely missed any payments before paying it off. I'm gonna just close all my accounts with them. I feel so undervalued. I hope and pray they lose their business because I can see I'm not the only person they've done this to. Screw you Huntington!!

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have my mortgage, checking etc thru Huntington. I wanted to change my payment (paid automatically) pretty simple. I am on my 3rd visit and everything is screwed up to the point they took 2 payments in the same month. If you don’t ever change anything they are great, once you change something they are completely incompetent! I reached out a district Manager today. We will see if she can fix this.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have about a dozen businesses. I only moved them to Huntington because they did a "bait and switch" where they offered me several services for free... but then once I was fully moved started to charge me for them. Since it is a headache to change banks again, I stuck it out. During that time I endured:

- Repeated calls from the bank stating that I needed to "come in and discuss an important matter regarding my accounts". When I took time out of my day to go down there, there was NO IMPORTANT MATTER. They simply wanted to try to upsell me their products.
- For a while I had access to several other company's accounts in my online access. Seriously.
- Tellers constantly doing deposits wrong.
- Wire department doing wires wrong.

- Need to go into a branch to wire funds? It won't matter if it is $1,000 or $1 million... Bring a book, you are going to be there a while. Not because they are busy, but because the people in the offices are too busy talking about what they did the night before. They simply do not care about you (or even pretend to).

All this ended when they decided to close 80% of my accounts without cause or reason. They gave me 2 weeks notice (which included 2 weekends and a holiday). They did this 2 days after taxes were due. So any checks that were not cashed (FOR TAXES!) would bounce. Some were cashed in time, some were not. Pretty absurd. I should be mad. It cost me thousands and a week of my time. Strangely, I am not mad at all. I am just so relieved to finally be back at a real bank again. Closing my accounts so I never have to deal with them again is like Christmas morning. Thanks Huntington. Your incompetence finally worked out in my favor!

Original review: May 4, 2019

LIVID!!! Received certified letter May 3, 2019 stating they were closing my accounts as of May 15, 2019 with the explanation that after review of my accounts that they were considered to exceed their risk tolerance. What the heck does that mean? I have never been overdrawn and have a more than healthy credit score! Visited the branch and they had no explanation and no answer at the number provided. Huntington is closing my checking, savings and money market accounts with no explanation at all... Other than exceed their risk tolerance.

HOWEVER they hold my certificate of deposit accounts (multiple and now exceeding MY risk tolerance) that they will not give me without stiff penalties. Bank manager told me to not do anything emotional in choosing to close out certificates of deposit because of stiff penalties and they were paying me a good rate of interest. This is insanity at its finest! Huntington has a VERY substantial amount of my money that is now tied up until as late as September 2020! They gave me checks for the balances in my accounts today (not the CD's) and now account is showing overdrawn by 29 cents! BE FOREWARNED!!! NO STARS.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Stopped payment on a 1000.00 check, charged me 31, then cashed it anyway approx. 4 months after the fact. Charging me multiple o.d. fees, NSF, late fees etc.

One person said we cannot stop payment on the counter checks, one department excuse after. Have contacted them, gave me one story after another, and still charging their FEES. NO RESPONSE.

Original review: May 1, 2019

My mom has cancer really bad and had a treatment yesterday and is very ill today and I went to deposit/cash check for her like I have on many occasions but. Not today, they made me go get my sick mom and bring her in.. So I did and she asked that they add me and the guy was so rude and taking his good ole easy time instead of trying to help my sick mom. And keep saying 15 more min and then 20 min.

My mom was so sick she couldn't wait and had to leave. So I'm still unable to cash my sick mom's check for her. He did such on purpose. Kept repeating himself and talking instead of typing and trying to HELP my mom. He had no compassion at all. My mom has stage 4 ovarian cancer that has metastasised to several other organs.. liver, spleen several stomach areas with a tumor in her belly... Her colon is engulfed. Yep she is bad. Mom has banked with this company for 55 years 3 different names and buildings. She deserved COMPASSION. After dragging my mom out.. her business should have been settled. And the bank was not full or busy.... No excuse.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I got a certified letter in the mail today stating they are closing my account. I called the number on the letter and got a voicemail. Finally got a callback and they told me they were closing my account and would not disclose the reason. My account is used to pay bills and shop online like any normal person. I don’t understand what the reasoning is for closing my account. I guess they are not making any money off of me. Worst bank ever!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Worst lender I have ever experienced in my 45 years of life. There should be a zero star or a negative star! They don't even deserve 1 star. I recently had a loan (Home Equity Line of Credit). The process was horrible and slow the processor from KY was rude and I felt he did want to help speed up the process, there was a lot of unnecessary wait. I knew they were rude in the first week of dealing with them, but at that time they had already ran my credit and decided to take live with their rudeness and it got worse. I hated every minute and every second of the transaction.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I'm not a customer of Huntington Bank but use their ATM. Made a withdraw. Did not disburse my money. Tried calling them several times. And all they said was, "Dispute with your bank." It was their ATM that made the mistake. And they've got my money. What a great bank. Now I know I don't bank with them. Oh and yeah their ATM said my transaction was canceled. But my bank shows the withdraw.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I opened a new account. I was told my deposit would partially be available in two days, the balance in 5. Got home to find they put my account on full hold. I cannot access through online, through atm or even if I go into a branch. My check cleared my old account at my old bank, I showed them proof it was cashed and yet they are still holding my money and will not release it until Friday. There is no reason to hold my money so long and no one seems to be able to do anything about it. Ridiculous to hold my money for no reason and not give me access to my account. This has happened to others, seems like a scam bank. I made a mistake going here and will be transferring to another bank if I can ever get them to release my money. I guarantee you they have my money and are collecting interest to their own account during this period. I am so angry.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I will be closing my accounts and moving to another bank. I have been a Huntington Bank Customer for 5 + years with two (2) checking accounts. **. On 4/4 for an $8.00 overdraft (account **) you returned a check very important to me, it was for $567.12 and avail balance was 559.12. And by the way the balance on account ** at the time was $1,127.29. You were so quick to return this check that pending transactions for it never showed up on the online banking that I check every morning.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My husband and I opened a checking and savings account in January 2019. I have a problem with their online bank statement and how some transactions are being handled. You HAVE to check your statement daily if you use your DC a lot. Transactions will not show up for seven to ten days after. As soon as they credit us the $200 for opening the checking account, we are going to a different bank.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I was charged $178 to close my IRA account. It did not performed well and I wanted to just close it to avoid paying maintenance fees. I have a checking account with them and will close that one too and would not recommend this bank.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Two weeks before I received a letter from the bank telling me they were closing my accounts. They wanted me to call a private number and transfer all of my money to another bank because I was a "risky" customer. I read the letter and thought it was a scam because it seemed fishy. (If I called the number on the letter they sent me, they could ask for my account number and wipe my account clean of $.) I called my local bank and they said that my account was in good standing and there were no indicators of my account closing. So I believe them and ripped up the "scam".

Yesterday all of my money was gone and my accounts vanished. I'm very disappointed because I've had a great relationship with them for 9 years and I've never done anything to put me in the risky category. They would not provide me any reason whatsoever and told me it was an internal decision and would not relay any information as to what happened to my account. They told me they'd send a cashier's check 7-10 business days and returned my paycheck to my employer and all of my student loans that were processed with my provider, were retracted.. So now my bills aren't paid on the 1st of the month and my paycheck was taken away.

If I truly were "risky" then why would they keep my credit card accounts opened but take away my savings and checking accounts? It makes no sense! I have exceptional credit score and never had a loan out with the bank. I will be taking my business to another bank and Huntington will forever get my FREE advertising of how horrible their service was and is. So disappointed and so sad on how all the events unfolded. Please beware of this! Also I'm a female Asian girl and I've heard of this happening to other female Asian ladies - This sounds like they are targeting a specific race and gender!

Original review: April 3, 2019

I was paying off an auto loan early with buyer waiting for a title, thank God she has been very patient. They required that I pay off using tracking and account number. When that didn't work they waited 5 days while my account showed paid off and sent a letter telling me the transaction didn't go through. What is this, 1970. Why not call? Then I wired them the money and they said it took 2 days to clear. The wire was straight from my bank. Then they still insist on holding my title for 7 days, more like nine days. I wouldn't borrow a dollar to buy a pack of gum from them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The loan officer doing my refinance never responded to me or answered any of my questions. I called and emailed him and nothing. I called corporate and when I explained I needed to speak to a supervisor to file a complaint, I was given the runaround and transferred and put on hold for over 40 minutes.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Huntington Bank closed my checking account and kicked me out for no reason, the same day my social security check was deposited. When I went to the Huntington Bank to collect my money I was told my account was closed and denied my money. Now I have to wait for a check to be mailed, it could be a week or two before I receive it. We have had to borrow money for gas and to eat. This has caused much stress to me. Point is DON'T BANK WITH HUNTINGTON!

Original review: March 31, 2019

I disputed 2 charges with a merchant but soon settled by sending the merchant an agreed amount. I called Huntington Bank & told them & they assured me I would not get charged again. I was at the end of the month & ran out of gas in Colorado last night. Now I'm overdrawn & starving. A disabled senior citizen veteran in disgust.

Original review: March 30, 2019

We took out a HELOC two and a half years ago with the intent of paying it off in three years. It has a repayment time of seven years. It had a variable interest rate and right after we signed for the loan the prime rate started going up. So we escalated our payoff time and paid it off about 6 months early. When I went in to pay off the loan I was quoted a payoff amount for 16 days in the future. The reason I was given for why I could not just pay it and close it that day was because they had to wait for my check to clear.

So I have a credit balance on the account. On this same visit I was told by the teller that in order to close the account I had to call and get a payoff letter sent to me. I was given a number at a call center to do that. I called that same day and used the automated system to request the payoff letter. The amount quoted was for the exact same amount that the teller gave me. It seemed weird that I needed a letter to tell the branch what was already on their computer screen, but I decided to let that go. The payoff letter never came. So after two weeks, I called again and received a quote indicating that even though I had a credit balance at the time, my payoff amount would be $12.50.

Needless to say, this made no sense. I called the branch and spoke to a very patronizing employee who acted like I was an idiot and told me I didn't need a payoff letter for a HELOC and I should bring a letter into the branch telling them to close the account. I did that a over week ago and was assured that in 3 to 4 business days the account would be closed and a refund check mailed. Guess what? As of today the account is still open and the credit balance is still on the account. How hard can it be to close an account?

Original review: March 26, 2019

I paid my loan pay off (which Huntington gave me directly over the phone) via a wire transfer. Two business days later I called to confirm that everything went through and asked when to expect the lien release. I found out on that phone call that I owed $50 more than what was told to me on the phone for my pay off amount. I filed a dispute... 2 more business days have passed. I called again today to see if the charge had been waived as it was their mess up. I find out that no one has looked at this and it will be another FOUR business days until I know. Continuing to wait for a lien release when I paid the amount off a week ago! I repeat DO NOT BANK HERE! The customer service I've had up until today was worthless. The representative I spoke to today was nice, but at this point I'm beyond frustrated and have no patience for this company.

Original review: March 26, 2019

In March of 2018 we received a call from our realtor, Flemon **, that we were per approved for a loan from Huntington Bank per Akheem **. This person was recommended by Mr **. For the next 6 months we looked for a house with Mr. Flemon **. It was a very trying time, full of **, depression and disappointments. But we persevered.

In August of 2018, we found the house we wanted, really liked, was in a good neighborhood and the price was great. We proceeded with the negotiating, seller made repairs as needed, we paid $1000.00 earnest money, signed contracts as needed. Was told that closing would be middle to end of September. Akheem ** called me in September and said that I would receive a letter saying the loan was not approved and disregard it. Akeem ** requested more papers, I provided bank statements. I took all my money from retirement account and put in savings account, so they could see the money for down payment was there.

Then Akeem ** started asking for proof of payments to cell phone company and car insurance, which I provided a full years worth. Days later, I called Akheem ** to check on the loan. Actually, it was three days before the supposed closing. I left two messages on his voice mail. He finally called me at approximately 12:30 and informed me the loan was not approved. He then suggested a co-signer, when I stated "It is what is and no I would not do that!"

At this time a I was distraught and depressed and feeling less than a human being. We were told we were approved, what happened? No answers. I went through my day at work feeling worthless and knowing I would have to tell my family. I let you down. I did that, my daughter was gracious, cried with me, my wife was the same. I was angry, hurt and humiliated by both Akheem ** and his help Kim **, both lied and misled us on the second month of false hope and tears. Akheem ** and Kim ** had suggested a co-signer, which my wife found. He went through the signing and the credit checks we went through.

Numerous times I talked to Kim **, we talked about my relation to Pedro, He was a family friend and we both take care of each other. Kim ** would laugh and say, "You're not married to Pedro, right?" And I would say, "No we are family friends for more than 20 years." Not at one time did either Akheem ** or Kim ** say that the co-signer needed to be a blood relative. These two amateurs need to be avoided at all costs. I am writing this in March of 2019, so don't think I I writing this with passion, hate or depression. I let that go a while ago, and write this now with a clear mind!

Huntington Bank Company Information