1.30/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

94 Huntington Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

So I've been with them for a few years now and I am extremely upset with them. I get paid every week and I know how much money I earn. I pay my bills and go out for lunch before shopping for essentials. On multiple occasions, the fast food transaction will show up right away and I spend what I have left. Then a few days later it disappears from my transactions without refunding the money for the transaction. It then shows up days later and puts my account in the negative. When I tried contacting them about it, they told me it was my fault and I need to balance a checkbook better.

I was pissed because it shouldn't be my fault for their system messing up and their attitude to fix the issue was nasty. I have added up my deposits and transactions and it shows I had enough money for everything and they are stealing money from me because they aren't depositing the money from the hidden transactions before taking it out again. So basically I am being charged twice for one transaction. I would bank elsewhere. It's not just fast food, it can happen to any type of transaction but most often on the fast food ones.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I've been with Huntington Bank for over a yr. now. I have a basic checking acct. with them. The branch I go to is in a grocery store near my home and the times they are open are ideal for me. I really liked the online banking, but I've been locked out of my account. I've tried to unlock it using the computer, over the phone and even in person but nothing has worked and they've pretty much told me it's my problem. Shouldn't a customer's problem be theirs too?

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018 One of the worst experiences in banking. As a realtor I have closed dozens of loans. My HELOC loan is at ONE MONTH, waiting on closing. Michael **

NMLS # ** has been useless getting answers about why the delay, only responding that we are in final underwriting (3 weeks) and he will let me know when we are ready to close. AVOID.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I paid off my loan in June, 2018 and as of August 2018, I still do not have my vehicle title. I have called multiple times and get different answers from everyone I talk with. Each person tells me the title will be released and it will be 4-5 business days. I have even talked with supervisors of the Customer Service department. It has been 38 days and I still do not have a lien release OR my vehicle title. I will NEVER do business with this company again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My wife and I received a letter stating that our checking acct. was being closed for, what they say is (risk tolerance). So we proceeded to call our branch office and talked to branch manager who we have dealt with many times before. He told us he had no knowledge of it being closed but would check and find out what the problem is. At that time we called the number on the letter for question and got a voicemail telling us to leave name and number and they will call back. Great customer service! But now that I've read many reviews about Huntington Bank I can see why they couldn't answer the phone when I called, they are probably are taking care of other complaints many, many. So the next day rolls around and they call, the lady I talked to ask me my name, address, acct. number and at that time I asked her (who I'm I speaking with?) she REFUSED to tell me her name!!! Unfreaking real!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

YOU WORK CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WON'T GIVE YOUR NAME? Let me compliment you Stephen S. and your whole executive team for assembly of this fine customer service. I also asked her (customer service lady I was speaking to) for an identifying number and again she said NO. So I asked why my checking acct. was be closed and what RISK TOLERANCE meant, she had no answer. Again I asked what it meant and again she had no answer for me, what a total waste of my time. NOBODY has any answers for us. It's too bad that there's not an email address to one of the executive team/board members to let them know how lousy their people are that are working in the Columbus office here in Ohio.

So now today my wife and I are going to another bank to open acct. and switch all auto withdrawals over. I guess this is the treatment you get after be with Huntington Bank since I was 18... I'm now 62. THANK YOU HUNTINGTON BANK AND THE ENTIRE EXECUTIVE TEAM. But don't feel bad. You will now get FREE ADVERTISING from my wife and I via Facebook and everybody we talk to for this unclear mess you people created.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: July 31, 2018

This bank will RIP you off in fees. They hold back debut transactions for days and then charge your account to putting your account in the negative to charge overdraft fees. They have done me like this several times over the years I have been with them. I'm done...

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am done with place. I have been hacked 2 times within a year and rarely use my card. I was hacked today and I get text alerts when I use my card. My phone went off showing activity and then again so I drove to the bank at the end of my street and as I went in it went off again and I showed the manager who was on his way to lunch. I said, “Please help, they are taking my money and it went off again.” He says, “Well I'm on my way to lunch but will help you.” So my card goes off again as he sits down slowly and says, “So how can I help you.” I'm like, “Look, do something before they suck my account dry.” So he finally logs in and stops my card but by then they got me for over $500 dollars and then he says that no matter what the charges with go through.

I'm like, “You saw my phone go off with charges as I sat here.” He says, “Well that's the way it is.” They will let the charges all go through and take the money out of my account and then dispute them and he says, "if we decide they were not you, within 90 days the money will go back in your account." Now I see why hackers would target them as no matter what, they let the charges post and go through. I even called the security number on my card in Ohio and she said the same thing. Total BS. I am going to my Credit Union or Chase. Please beware of this bank.

Original review: July 25, 2018

My graduating high school class has had an account at Huntington Bank for over 20 years. Over four years ago, we switched the names on the account so that I could be a money manager for my class. I stopped in to let them know I had a new mailing address and they told me my account was closed and that the money was sent to the state of Michigan. Mind you, we have had this account for many years and we only use it every 5 years. This is such **. Why, after all these years, did they close it? Also, why didn't they reach out to my email address or cell number they had on record? The state says they don't have the funds and Huntington doesn't have it. Way to go Huntington!!! By the sound of all these reviews, it doesn't sound like they will be around much longer...

Original review: July 25, 2018

This bank is really slick and they will rob you! I was charged 23.00 all in the same day 4 times. Me knowing I’m going to overdraft I had 32.00 left in my account and I put about 64 dollars into my gas tank which caused it to overdraft. They charge an overdraft fee for each transactions. So that should equal to one transaction which is one overdraft fee. These slick stealing ** gone tell me other transactions are causing the multiple charge of overdraft fees. When I know for a fact I overdrafted once when I got the gas. But they are telling me there were four transactions that didn’t post yet and the gas posted before the other transactions did. So therefore they charge me an overdraft fee for the items which is **. You ** are stealing. I’m canceling this bank today. I’m not giving you ** back!!?

Original review: July 21, 2018

I paid off my auto loan with Huntington Bank early. I have been trying to get a lien release on my vehicle for almost two weeks. They have been no help. I have called several times (8) to try to get this released with no real help from any of the reps or supervisors. Each time I call they have told me that I needed to do something different. I asked to speak directly with the department and was told the lien release department would not take any calls and they would put in a request.

I called back and am told that it has not been processed and I can submit another request. I always thought banks were a service industry. I have spoken with my local bank and they have tried to help with this. Huntington, although they have been very nice and told me and my bank they would work on this Huntington has not done anything to help this process along. The last time I spoke with them I informed them they need to look at their processes and policies. I reminded them they are only in business if people use their services. I guess I am old school, I always thought you took care of your customers to keep their business but, I guess times have changed. As consumers who pay for services we all need to keep in mind that we have a responsibility to let service industries know if they are not meeting our needs and Huntington Bank has not meet my needs on this issue.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I paid my car off and they took money out still and won't give me it back for 5 days. It's paid for you morons. Can't believe them. Way to start my weekend off. I will not deal with them anymore and they don't care if they keep losing customers.

Original review: July 19, 2018

My purse, along with my credit and debit cards were stolen and wouldn't ya know it, Huntington has been a complete NIGHTMARE to deal with!!! First it took them 3 weeks to "conditionally" refund the money that was stolen. Second, took another 2 weeks to issue a new card and when they do, they cancelled that one too stating it had been "lost". Third, they also cancelled my husband's card for NO REASON!!! But refused to speak to me about it because I was not him! Even though we have a joint account they stated that they could not give me information on, "his portion of the account"!! REALLY??? HIS portion of a JOINT account??? And exactly who gave them the right to decide what is his portion and what is my portion I would like to friggin know???

This bank does NOT work for the customer at all!!! It's bad enough that I had to deal with the nightmare of having my things and money stolen, what's been even worse is that my bank, that I MISTAKENLY thought I could trust has made me feel like I am continuously getting robbed every time I turn around!!! I WILL be pulling my money out and going elsewhere post-haste!! I urge ya'll to do the same!!!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Presently, my wife and I have, originality $ 294.000 in a money market with a 1% A.P.Y. ( F.D.I.C.), return @ Huntington. We recently withdrew $ 50.000 for a more competitive rate @ 1.75$ A.P.Y. ( F.D.I.C.) After spending an hour on the phone, talking to a customer service spokesperson; she in turn contacted 3 others. No deal was reached. Their competition in the money market category all are 1.75% or higher. The communication process to negotiate any % rate is 0. A take it or leave it attitude. The communication process for new business ie: home mortgages, c.d. car loans, etc. is greatly appreciated. At my new account, % rate change monthly, Huntington the same. I cannot understand how they keep money from going out.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Never been through so many hoops! This place is ridiculous. Slow, They ask for the same things two three times. I honestly believe these people do not communicate within the business. Went to my CREDIT UNION and things were done in no time. Huntington Bank should focus more on customer service.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am only giving one star because I have to. After 15 years of being a loyal customer both personally and for our small business, we had an employee steal from us. The person is currently being prosecuted, has a he used the atm so there is undeniable proof of every transaction. Huntington has considered the charges were approved and refused to look into it. We will be transferring banks. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I was a FirstMerit customer -- When they were bought out by Huntington I went along with them. They constantly allow these charges knowing I do not have the money to pay. The only reason I have stuck with them is that my VA check goes Direct Deposit to them. I have paid almost 2000 dollars in these overdraft fees - I have filed several disputes for charges I did not make w/ no action taken and no explanation. I will change as soon as I can.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Deposited an old forgotten check with Huntington. Was assured by mgr. of branch everything was o.k. A week later, received a copy of the check, and was advised amount was withdrawn from my account. Tried to call the 800 number of the form, and surprised it was for Chase Bank. Went to branch, the mgr is off today. I have dealt here for 15 years and like the personnel, but can't figure this one. They have my check, told me no problem, then deduct the amount of the check from my account. Seems shady to me.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I paid off my car loan with a cashier's check on June 29, 2018. Today is July 6 and Huntington Bank has still not released the lien on my vehicle. They are keeping me from being able to sell my car. I am thinking about filing a lawsuit. I am livid. Do not get a car loan from this company.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have been banking with the Huntington National Bank since 1991. I am sad to say this is the first time I will have to bank without them. I have moved to the West Coast where they are not yet here. I believe in a honest word and handshake is your bond. The HNB is just that bank. In all of my dealings banking, loans, credit cards, mortgage and whatever else they offer is worth having. I miss my bank and hope that they acquire something out here. I will be their first customer. Thank you HNB for some very good years. I hope someone from HNB sees this as they deserve a standing ovation for their honest work helping people trust in banking. The pens were a great idea!!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I made a monthly car payment and then another separate payment for principal only. I had requested a receipt for the extra principal payment. I never received it. I then called and asked them to send me a receipt and they refused to do so. I have NO proof they put the principal only payment to my account. Customer service person was very short and rude to me. I feel this was a very simple request on my part but Huntington would not send or email me a receipt. They have no idea where my money went. I would never recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: June 7, 2018

If there were options to give -0 stars I would give it. I have been trying to cancel my escrow for 3 months. I began the process back in early April. The first excuse of the bank is that I had not had my mortgage open longer than 1 year. After 1 year, which was 10 days later, they said that they will re-review it which I believe they did not without me calling in again. Next request was to fax in a letter requesting it, and once I requested it via fax then they would mail me papers to fill out in order to cancel.

After completing that, the problem became there was a small balance of -132.00 which held up the cancellation. This amount was then paid, and then I again expected the escrow to canceled. The problem then became the auto debit was automatically canceled due to the escrow cancellation request so, the monthly payment including an incorrectly analyzed escrow payment needed to be made in order to cancel the escrow. Needless to type the escrow is still not canceled, and they want me to overpay almost twice the mortgage principal and interest payment in order to cancel my escrow. The customer services and mortgage department related to the escrow analyzing is awful. The mortgage department has displayed incompetence, unprofessionalism, disorganization and rudeness throughout this entire incomprehensible madness.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have this bank for my car loan. I call them every month on time and provide my routing and account number. They went ahead and processed my payment TWICE! They cost me $320 in overdraft fees and told me it could take up to 15 business days to give it back to me!!! It took one minute to take it all out of my account though! I am a single working mother and they did nothing to help me! Banks are suppose to be helpful and have good customer service. I don't recommend this bank to anyone!

Original review: May 26, 2018

Several weeks ago I clicked on an internet ad giving "free" bottles of alleged ** for $4.97 shipping costs. As soon as I tapped the button, two bottles were being sent @ $4.97 each! No way to go back! I got the two bottles, but they contained mineral oil, not **...no valid address or phone # on bottle labels! Then the scammers hit my debit card for $89.97 twice! I called Huntington, killed my card, I ordered another one...AND filed a complaint over the phone for fraud. Of course I wanted my money back that had been stolen!

I went into a local Huntington branch, spoke with a manager, showing him the bottles I received...he called the "research" department, promising to expedite the return of $180 to my checking account. Three days later, I get a letter saying the transactions appear to be legit! WTF? I am pursuing further actions. Obviously NO consumer fraud protection at Huntington!!! Thinking about going to credit union for all banking business from now on!

Original review: May 22, 2018

This Bank will jerk you around for any reason. I never missed a payment or was late on a payment until the bank decided I had to manually make the last payment without notification. I spent months trying to get my title from the bank, only to be told later I would need to go get the title myself. Do not do business with this bank.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Huntington offered a decent APR the loan for my new car. That is probably the only service I have received that is worthy of mention. The staff is very polite and appears to be helpful but the lack in technical support can really make for a cumbersome experience when conducting online banking. I have tried adamantly over two days to register for online banking. Their software is sub par and their tech support for online bank is poor to say the least. Generally I am a very patient person, but this is a topic Huntington should address immediately. Your online banking enrollment process is flawed and needs to be redeveloped. I have received 7 phone text message verification, 5 different calls from Huntington to provide verification codes and nothing has helped. I receive an error when I try to log in to my online banking.

I am quite frustrated so I took the time to write this review. Throughout this process, I even had a customer service rep claim to be transferring my call and then hung up on me. Once the customer service was no longer helpful I tried enrolling myself and the software stated I was already enrolled. 20 minutes of log-in error messages would say otherwise. I am very disappointed and I wish Huntington would figure these problems out immediately. My name is Barry ** and I am not proud to have a loan with Huntington, and I am glad I don't have money in their bank.

Original review: May 9, 2018

For the first 3 years I had 24-Hour Grace with Overdraft Protection. For the 4th year, this past year, suddenly I do not qualify. There was nothing disclosed to me in writing about a change. I did not change any of my "opt in" settings. I did not "opt out" of anything. I suddenly no longer receive alerts letting me know my account is overdrawn. If I don't know it's overdrawn, then I do not receive 24-hour grace. I am 100% positive this is NOT because I blocked the Text Message on my phone. I do not use that feature. As a very low paid Special Education TEACHER & parent of a Special NEEDS child, I felt like finally there was a bank that understood my financial struggles. I formerly saw Huntington Bank as a bank that cared. No fee checking is a joke. It's cost me $225 since April of last year.

My opinion of Banks in General. My opinion of other banks is they are entities that are designed solely to profit off the misfortune of others. They charge fees people really can't afford to pay. They give very low return for the privilege of holding your money in their vault. They openly discriminate against individuals and try to call it good banking. Now Huntington is lumped in with them as well.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Don't bank at Huntington!!! I had a savings account with them, they suddenly closed it, have been arguing for about a month of where my money went in from that account. The branch told me I was lying and I couldn't even put money in that account. Kept having to repeat myself that the statement shows where the money was put in the account but nothing shows where it was put back into my account. Nobody has been helpful or been in contact with me. They stole my money. DON'T BANK WITH THEM.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I obtained an SBA loan through Huntington Bank. DO NOT DO THIS. If you think FDIC or SBA gives you some consumer protection, you will be wrong. HNB lost my documents, then filed a lawsuit against me claiming default. No payments were missed. I have been in litigation with this bank for almost 2 years. Fun facts: a bank can sue you for any reason, you are required by law to purchase an expensive attorney, and there are little to no bank regulations. This bank is putting my small business out of business and they do not care a bit. They caused the problem, but they have no liability and no accountability. RUN from this bank. Go to a local credit union instead.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I have a current loan with Huntington and will be hesitant to use them again in the future because of the teleprompt option to pay loans. It's long and drawn out, repeats information more than once, does not allow me to switch to touch tone only, and still requires me to enter a check number (which is rare these days). Once you've experience a bank that does this efficiently, making it very easy to quickly pay by phone or online, it feels like you've stepped into the past when using a service that is not as efficient.

The one thing that I do like about them, however, is that this option to pay does make it easy for Huntington to find your information when calling from another phone or your phone. More of this type of ease and efficiency is what I would like to see with Huntington, and less long-winded auto scripts and repeated information.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was offered $150,00 to open an account and I asked the manager, "Would I have to do a 1099?" and she explained, "No, we are giving this to you as a gift for opening an account with a certain amount over $1000,oo," so at the beginning of the year I get a 1099, also I asked for a savings account, I find out a checking account was open instead, so now I have two accounts and money being transferred from my savings account to a checking account that I never asked for. This is horrible business, and the bank use our money to offer loans to other people and draw interest.

Huntington Bank Company Information

www.huntington.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business