3.6/5 (649 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I made a loan payment online and no email or notification was given that a payment was made and was pending. When I contacted the customer service department the first representative when I asked why I didn’t receive confirmation he said because! I said that’s not a answer. He hung up on me. I called again and the next agent named Dean said that’s how long it takes. It will not post until 8pm. I asked how can I just get a verification that a payment was made via email, text etc. "We don’t do that," he said. I explained I don’t understand considering I pay and buy many things online and get some sort of confirmation. He said, "If you don’t listen and keep belittling my company" he would hang up. I asked again he hung up. Is this customer service at Huntington?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

When I opened the account I was told there was a $50 safety overdraft net. I understand banks don't like when people overdraft but why offer this service if you're just going to take it away whenever you decide you just don't like my transactions? I had my tax refund sent here and had to wait almost an entire week before they would let me use any of it. I don't know what kind of financial company takes over a WEEK to verify a government deposit, but whatever. Then, when I started using that money to pay my rent, they froze my account again. I had to call them again to get my account unlocked. Next month it was the same story despite me using the same payment portal to pay the same amount of rent to the same place. Their fraud detection is insane as well. I went to do one simple charge with my Google Pay account for a subscription and they shut my entire account down.

I got no letters, no calls, no texts, no warning, not even a notification in their app. Just all of a sudden I could not get use my card anywhere. I thought maybe it was just the Labor Day weekend, but ended up having to call AGAIN because as a human, I have to pay to eat. I get my account back. I pay my bills. I start to go a little negative for small items, cat food, etc. Suddenly my card just stops working again once I was negative $38. I call AGAIN, and ask if the site says I'm good as long as I don't go over negative $50 then what's up with my account? The answer, they've deactivated my account AGAIN due to suspicious activity. I demand they reopen it again.

I get pinged $7 for an atm fee from a withdrawal I did WEEKS AGO. I'm furious. I'm now angry beyond words because it is payday and I have not been paid. Trust me, I worked HR before, I double, triple, quadruple checked my info on ADP and it matches. My coworkers have all been paid and I'm still sitting here with my little negative balance and an empty fridge. It's not even showing as "pending" despite my HR person submitting payroll today before noon. Such for that "early pay" they keep going on about. What a joke. They should've just let TCF crash and burn along with this trash bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We were Huntington bank customers for over 20 years. Recently we received a letter that we were considered high risk and they were closing our account. We tried calling the phone number on the letter but no explanation was given. Not even corporate would give us a reason. We are regular people in our 50's. Why in the world we're considered high risk we have no idea. To top off being booted out of our bank, they screwed up our last transaction and then they charged my insurance $20 for returned funds that they never show taken out??? When I called, they said they show no withdrawal for an automatic monthly withdrawal. So we got screwed over $20 for their mistake. Before all this, I would have and did highly recommend Huntington. Now I don't recommend anyone use them.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

They put all my accounts on hold until a check was cleared for 2 weeks. The ATMs be down and you can’t make deposits, and your ATM card will be deactivated until your check clears. They will closed down your online mobile banking portal so you can’t see what’s happening with your accounts, until the check clears. The worse bank ever in the world.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

We have been banking with Huntington since they took over TCF banks. We have never had a problem until they took over. Now we have to wait 2 weeks to get an answer on a Canadian check to be told we need to give them $75.00 to investigate the check. I called the main branch and was told that the local bank is the only one that can help me and the person I need to talk to is not in for a week, This is a really poor way to run a business that is in the business of handling money. We will be switching banks and I hope the other businesses don't get screwed like we are. They have given us the run around when needing answers. This bank has very poor customer service.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I have been a customer of Huntington for 5 months. I deposited my daughter's payroll check for her on 8/29 and I have been doing this without incident for five months. This time they put a 5 day hold on a $335 check. I totally understand that why all of a sudden now it's a problem. I don't know but fine whatever. I still have $800.00 in my account available to me. I go to use my debit card on 8/31 and it tells me to call customer service transaction has been declined.

Here is the problem: apparently when they place a check an extended check hold on the account they freeze access to the account and you are unable to use Zelle or your debit card. I had to Zelle my oldest daughter money who just went away to college too bad so sad I do not have access to Zelle and can't use Venmo because I can't use my debit card and when my paycheck was direct deposited I couldn't pay my rent on time because I usually Venmo/Zelle the money but now I had to go to the bank sit there for 15 min while they got the withdrawal authorized and I had to mail out my rent check.

The hold was placed on 8/29 and was suppose to be removed end of day 9/2 but now I am being told it won't be removed until 9/6. It's fine hold the $335.00 for the check but give me access to my account. They just said that is how it is and they can't do anything for me. I will be closing my account as soon as that check hold is off and I can get the $335.00. I have also filed a complaint with the OCC and Better Business.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

They lowered my credit score over 100 pts despite my being current and making triple payments for the last 3 years. Offered me a renewal of a loan at high rates then made it impossible for me to go elsewhere by cutting my Credit score.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

This ATM was moved from inside of Giant Eagle to outside in the parking lot. As of this writing it has been unable to take deposits for a week (that I know of). Spoke to a Katie ** then switched to supervisor (Salum?) who took my formal complaint. Both nice but could not really help me. I asked questions like who services the ATMs. It is outsourced as I thought but for obvious reasons they couldn't provide the vendor's name. I'm not understanding why a bank whose livelihood depends on deposits are not on top of why this machine can't take a ** deposit. This particular machine is either totally out or a function is inoperable. I've called at least twice before. So guess what? I'm done with Huntington Bank they've ** me for the last time. All direct deposits have been moved to my brokerage account, which has its own banking side anyway.

*** As a side note and a different issue but even more serious is that I asked them to close my standby cash account for which I never asked for. I asked them to do this about a month and a half ago.. Called twice even.. I get a text that someone has tried to transfer the money on what's supposed to be a dead account. The catch is, is that I get this alert on a phone number that is NOT attached to the account but only given once in order to receive an authentication code. This can ONLY be done internally. So now I'm possibly dealing with a rogue employee.

AND I get another email alert that someone attempted to use my debit card for 28 cents, possibly fishing for a larger amount. So now the cancellation process and waiting for a new card.. None of this has ever happened before but now all occurring within a week. *** Huntington Bank seems to be going down. All of a sudden you can't get through. The wait time is longer than that of a cable company. For a bank that is unacceptable.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I switched to Huntington from PNC a year ago and regret it. I deposit and withdraw cash often, but no matter what location I visit their ATMs are always down! Out of order, no cash deposit, no cash withdrawal. This morning I visited 3 locations on my way to work and all 3 were out of order! I’ll be search for a more reliable bank because the inconvenience is more than aggravating.

Original review: July 29, 2022

Deposited made at bank, combination of cash and check, and did not post in my account for over a week. I called the customer service line and after 30 minutes of time was told that the cash portion always has a hold period on it but the check portion should be good in 5-7 working days? Agent could not explain the logic of cold cash having a hold on it not able to tell me when hold would be released? Incompetence.

Huntington Bank Company Information