3.7/5 (793 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

The staff in the branches were usually good, efficient and pleasant. My issue is with the "Standby Cash" product and how it is reported. After having a checking account at Huntington for a year, I received a notice that a complimentary credit line - Standby Cash - had been opened based on my positive account history. Ok, cool, don't need it, but nice to have for emergencies. A few months later I got a transfer to my checking form this credit line to bridge the gap until payday, a week away. I was notified that my usage of the account would be reported to the credit bureaus, expectedly, and I could contact them with any questions.

A week later, I get paid, and pay the credit line off in full. I would do this a few times over the next year, just as a convenience. Then my limit was lowered. And again, and again, 4 times total. I contacted to ask why, as I never carried a balance or went over the limit. I was told that increased usage automatically limits the account further. So...why give it to me if I'm not supposed to use it? Anyway, this continues until I get an alert from my credit monitoring that an account has been flagged as locked and see that the constant limit reductions have damaged my credit rating. Locked due to excessive overdrafts on checking. Except that I haven't had ODFs going back 6 months.

I call again and am told the overdrafts may not appear on my history or statements, and no fees were deducted. Nobody could tell me specifically when my account was overdrawn or by how much. I tell them the locked status has been attributed as a cause for a lowered credit score, and the response is they report all info, positive and negative. I never had a negative mark on this account, so why did they report it as such? No one knows. I have been dealing with the credit bureau for a month trying to fix this, all for a complimentary account I never asked for, and paid off every 2 weeks. If bad policies are Huntington's thing, at least own that. Getting the runaround at every turn and no concrete answers have me closing all accounts and warning others to stay away.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

We have spent more than a year, endless paperwork, 2 appraisals they ordered, we are at less than 50% loan to value, all payments have been made by using their auto pay option, and they will not remove the PMI. They just ignore our calls. They are crooks! AVOID THIS BANK AT ALL COST

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

I had recently received a settlement check from the govt. I haven’t used a bank account in years because I have had direct deposit go straight to my CashApp. Well, I need to go to a Huntington location because it wasn’t letting me deposit the check (260). I walked in and tried to cash it and was told I needed two from of ID. I presented my DL and asked if another card would work. They said “No”. I asked if my BIRTH CERTIFICATE would work. Again “No”. Will proof of address work “No”. So I asked “OK I give up. What can I use as a second form?” They listed a bunch of crazy weird things like a Union membership card and a friggin Concealed carry permit. I said, "Well can I use my Birth certificate to open an account." They said “Yes”…. What?! So I can cash a check with one form as long as I have an account and I can use my BC as a second form if I’d to open one but not to cash a check without one? They said they didn’t have time to open an account for me that day. I looked around and No one else was in the building.

I went home and opened an account online with NO form of ID and cash it on my phone. I then tried to transfer my money to my CApp, wouldn’t work. They were supposed to send me a Debit card of which they said they had shipped. Two weeks went by and I checked the website to see if it was on the way. Not only was it not, but now the site said there was no card and I couldn’t request a replacement because there was no card to replace. I swear it’s like they wanted to prevent me from cashing my check and when I did they held my money hostage. Worst bank I’ve ever dealt with, I refuse to use my account there.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

My father passed away and left an IRA to my brother and me. It took the manager of my local branch over a month to find out who the beneficiaries are. Now she won’t release my half to me without my brother.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2022

The manager at the Madison Heights location is rudest bank manager I’ve ever dealt with. She makes almost impossible to deposit money in your bank account. She is very short customers, she doesn’t listen and I can’t believe she still has a job there.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

I've been banking with these guys for years now and ever since I've set up direct deposit I've been having trouble with accessing my paycheck 2 days early with the early pay perk. The first 2 months was good, I got them two days early. But after the first 2 months they started being 1 day early for about 3 months and now they aren't even coming early anymore! It's like they just stopped. I thought it was a problem with my payroll department through my job but they always send me my pay slip and a confirmation email when they've sent my information over to my bank, and that's always 2 days before my actual pay day. Huntington needs to look into their employees and see who isn't doing their job because I've been expecting my check early and now that it isn't coming early anymore my bills aren't being paid on the dates they are due, my account is being overdraft instead!!! And they collect their overdraft fees then finally release my funds after my pay day!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

I thought that Bank of America was the worst bank in the world well Hello, Huntington the worst of the worst! Do not back here they seriously have issues not to mention customer service representatives that answer calls with loud noises, TV’s and barking dogs. REALLY? No no no run.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2022

I've had a mortgage with Huntington for several years. I have had a bad experience with mortgage servicing. They never seem to receive my proof-of-insurance when I send it, and ultimately put force-placed insurance in place. It has taken hours to resolve. I've never had this problem with any other bank I've worked with, and it happens repeatedly with Huntington.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

Had a line of credit with them. They try everything they can to keep you from making large payments or paying it off, limits on transfers, etc. Tried paying the full balance a but would always get a bill the next month showing a balance of $0.01 and added interest. After doing this twice, I called. They said, "You cannot payoff a loan online, you have to request a payoff amount, then send a signed letter." There is no form or anything, just a handwritten letter. It's like the year 1950 or something. None of this info is on the website. No address to send letter to, no email, nothing. The system is designed to take advantage of people and send them bills and collect interest ... Never again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

WARNING - POOR SECURITY AT HUNTINGTON. We recently had fraudulent activity on our account, which we flagged. We also called Huntington, and they assured us that the relevant ATM/debit cards would be locked, and new ones mailed out. Three days later, an even larger series of fraudulent charges have now appeared. Clearly, there are no effective security controls on accounts at Huntington. What is also mind-boggling is that even though the charges were flagged as fraudulent, Huntington lets the charges go through, money is withdrawn from your account, and then they enter a dispute process. Will be filing a complaint with the OCC, as consumers are clearly not being protected by Huntington.

Huntington Bank Company Information