2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (238 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: April 4, 2021

My daughter was issued a PCL, personal credit line which is an equity loan. Maximum set of $50,000. It was to "consolidate" her other loans. So her house, which her family paid off, is collateral. The PCL had only a minimum payment required of the interest charges which now amount to $75.00 per month. This is a predatory practice and eventually they would have seized her home. She was up to $24,000 in debt when I found the monthly statement. She was using the PCL to buy extravagant items unnecessary for health or life because they issued a card that looks like an ordinary credit card. She is not earning interest on her savings or checking accounts. I am in process now of getting her away from this bank. Do not do business with predatory institutions who sole purpose is to make money off you and seize your assets.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This bank is not secure for people make deposits. The bank work so bad. The customer service is really bad. And their close the consumer account with no previous advise to the consumer. I have really bad experience with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My experience with Huntington Bank was terrible in this loan process. This left my kids and I homeless. Chelsey ** and Terri ** disrupted the chain of command which resulted in no place to stay.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Huntington Bank carries the loan we have for an RV. Our loan originally started out at over $100,000 and is currently under 26,000. Before the pandemic hit, we were never late with a payment, of any kind and both have credit scores over 800. After losing our income, it became difficult to make this payment especially on time. I recently called huntington AGAiN and begged them to work with me on this account, especially since we have been such good customers, paid this account down so far and it is difficult for people right now! We are both over 65, with very limited income.

I received a letter back stating that they were unable to assist us in any way. I was completely shocked by this lack of effort to work with me on the loan to any degree. Here’s the worst part- every single day I get an email, a letter in the mail and a phone call. Mind you, I am only 1/2 to one payment late. Sometimes I just cry over this lack of compassion and downright harassment over this payment. It is ridiculous and uncalled for in these times. You would think they could at least stop their harassment, stop with the constant late charges- anything- to show that their bank has an ounce of compassion. Nope- not this bank. Shame on you Huntington.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I have been dealing with Huntington since 2017, and it’s been a nightmare. I refinanced with a HELOC in 2017. The totally unprofessional appraiser showed up 2 hours late and devalued my home by $15k (it had just been appraised the previous month by a PROFESSIONAL appraiser). Then they sent the payoff to the wrong address even though I had provided them with the correct info. I am locked into my current rate for 10 years before becoming a variable rate, but I decided that since rates are at record lows now and since I had just received a new higher appraisal and it might be good to get some cash out for home upgrades I decided to refi into a traditional mortgage in August 2020.

Once again, they sent extremely unprofessional appraisers (2) who were 1 1/2 hours late with no apology or explanation and submitted completely unfactual/incomplete info in their report, along with grainy black and white photos, using unrelatable comps from other neighborhoods which devalued my house by $20k. They had been discussing which bank this appraisal was for, no doubt skewing the results to accommodate Huntington’s wishes. I filed an appeal, along with 5 comps that sold in the last 6 months provided by my realtor verifying the true value of my home, yet they stuck to their guns.

After several weeks of frustration and being out $450 for a fraudulent appraisal, I rejected their lame offer to refi with no cash back, increasing my payments by $200 per month and asking to escrow my insurance and taxes. No way would I accept this insane off or ever trust them with an escrow account! Not to mention they charge a yearly fee... REALLY??!? I used to bank with large banks doing business solely online but I thought it would be better to deal with a local bank, but I was wrong. They are scammers through and through and not to be trusted.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I've been a long term customer of Huntington Bank. I went to the bank after receiving notification of available funds for withdrawal. After going to a few other banks which I was able to withdraw funds with no issues. I went to the bank in St Clair Shores located at little mack and 11 mile. After the transaction was processed the teller asked me if I were going to another bank and I said yes. She then reversed transaction and returned the funds to my account. I asked her why she did this and she said Huntington has a policy that allows customers to draw a certain amount per day. I told her this wasn't true and that I was aware that you could only draw a certain amount from each branch but she said that wasn't true.

She called her manager Sara, who said the same thing and told me we were done here. Sent my ID and Card back, but kept the withdrawal slip. When asked why again she said we are done here and I was on the phone with huntington call center while this was going on. Sara then went and called the fraud department and reported suspicious activity on my account and locked me out of it without me being aware. I went to do a deposit with my card at an atm machine and it was embarrassing because after 2 attempts it was rejected. My account was then altered to show that the deposit was never in my account and that I had a negative balance. After talking with customer service, a discrimination complaint was filed. I also sent a detailed email with attachments to the CEO and received a call back.

This morning I received a couple of calls apologizing for the inconvenience of being locked out of my account for 5 days and Sue told me the manager said she filed the fraud complaint because I had gone to different banks and my ID could have been altered because people alter IDs all the time. This has been hurtful and a real inconvenience, especially during this pandemic. There was no consideration for me and my circumstances at all. My history shows that I've always been able to do the same type of transactions. They then told me they sent the money back to the sender and asked me to reach out to them and ask them to send it back to them.

I don't trust this bank nor will I continue to do business with an establishment who uphold the negative actions of their employees. Huntington needs to understand that ** people have money too. Banking while ** is truly a concern that needs to be investigated. Huntington is in the process of merging with TCF and planning to service the city of Detroit. People need to be aware of this and protect themselves and their resources from this type of discriminatory treatment.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Earlier this year, we booked a family vacation to Las Vegas, of course, due to the pandemic, we were not sure if we were going to make it. We noticed that Southwest had canceled and rebooked our flight without our consent, so we sought a refund. Southwest gave us a major runaround, until they realized their mistake. Upon speaking with Huntington, they provided a provisional credit for the amount of $2,00 dollars. What we had to do was provide Huntington with information of what happened, and they could make a decision to see if we deserved the actual refund.

This is where things get dumb; My wife, and I, sent them the information form the Department of Transportation, which clearly indicates "A full refund is required for any canceled flights". We sent them paperwork, more paperwork, and even more paperwork. Each time they would say they never received it. Even after one person said they had it and was sending it for review. This happened THREE times. Ultimately, Huntington stated that they were going to side with the airline, and if we did not return the provisional credit, they would close our account.

It can take 90 days to receive a refund, and after they said we had until August 3rd, they closed our account on the 1st. Southwest issued the refund, however since the account was closed, the payment bounced back. Now, this check, even with a tracking number is being said to be at the airline, they airline says the bank has it. My wife just talked to Huntington today, more runaround. This is what Huntington does, very dirty, closing accounts prior to the agreed date, and completely incompetent. As well as "never receiving" our paperwork. Once, I could see, twice? Maybe, but three times? No, this was just a way for Huntington to try to get more money from people. I will never, ever return to Huntington, and I will inform others of their incompetent actions.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

I had just taken out a personal loan for $35k in Dec 2019 due to a death in the family so I have 2 mortgages and this one loan going into 2020. Covid hit us pretty hard in February and March, I had to use another credit card to survive so I called the 2 credit card companies and Huntington and asked for a loan deferral for 3 months, the 2 credit cards and my Huntington commercial loan did what they were suppose to, the second month in I got a foreclosure notice on my house, I called Huntington and asked what was up, I couldn't online bank because they were showing me late on payments so every month I'm talking to a representative on the phone and every one of them told me don't worry about it, it's just the system doesn't recognize what's going on.

I was told every time I asked that I was not to worry and after the 3 months of deferral and 3 months on time payments it would be like it never happened. I was suppose to receive a packet that I was to sign, have notarized and sent back in between the 2nd and 3rd month on time payment and it would be over with no harm to my credit score.

Well, after skipping April May and June I started making my on time payments In July and figured between August and September I would refinance after I got my paperwork squared away and stop any bleeding from covid. I made October payment, still no paperwork, was told it was 4-6 weeks out, made my November payment, asked about the paperwork and they told me it would be a year before I would get my paperwork because they were so far behind. I asked to refinance my house because I was way behind and having to use credit cards to get by and then they told, "No, we can't do that, YOU'RE IN FORECLOSURE and you can't refinance or access any equity till this is resolved."

They put me in a forbearance program for voluntary foreclosure, I never in a million years asked for this. I called everyone at Huntington and I was told if I pay almost $2300 it would put me back like it never happened. I did this on Oct 28 and it was suppose to be over with 2 clicks of a mouse. Well it didn't happen till November 8th and I had to make another payment to get that to happen. I always pay extra and there was a $1366 dollar surplus but they escrowed it and I couldn't touch it till the foreclosure was completed.

The whole point of the deferral was to buy some time and save some money to get by and on the day they finished this it I paid over $5100, my credit score was an 820 in January, it's 665 now. I've asked to see my foreclosure contract and was told there isn't one, it was a verbal contract. I was told last week one was suppose to be sent out last week but haven't received it yet, meanwhile I've tripled my debt while my equity is tied up in limbo because if they flagged my house in foreclosure nobody will refinance me for a year. Everything I've worked for in Jeopardy and all but 2 people I've talked to out of 20 at Huntington have been very condescending and untruthful about what was going on. I could've stopped this in May and saved myself 10s of thousands of dollars. Now I'm buried with no options. Thanks Huntington.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

My request to transfer money from Huntington to my account at another bank was rejected twice. I had to personally bring my latest statement from external account. Did that. Transfer rejected again! Bad!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Fell behind due to COVID. I didn’t fall behind by much, it was 2 separate months a few months apart due to business being shut down multiple times because employees got COVID. I paid off my balance within a month of each late payment. They reported it to the credit bureau and my score dropped by 120 points. Mind you, I am and HAVE BEEN current for some time now. They offered NO HELP during COVID, and on top of them offering no help, now they punish those of us affected by it at no fault of our own. I called to dispute this and they said there was nothing they could do since the time had passed since my late payments...

This bank does not care about its customers at all. I will be refinancing to take my business to ANY OTHER bank besides this one. Do NOT do business with them, if you are ever in a hard time, you will be screwed! Other banks helped their customers affected by COVID, this one caused more harm on top of me losing money for months at a time because of the virus. Shame on them!!!!

Huntington Bank Company Information