2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.0/5 (259 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

On hold for over a hour and three different wrong transfers, I'm refinancing my loan just to get away from this disaster of a company as they took over tcf and I didn't want them in the first place, goodbye.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

My wallet was stolen the Friday of the weekend that TCF bank was merging with Huntington. I called immediately Friday to have all my cards and accounts locked completely. Somehow through the merge between the two the information does not get passed between the two banks and my accounts became unlocked, resulting in almost 17,000$ fraud out my account!!!! Mind you that this person went through a drive through and cashed a a fraudulent check through my account of 3,250$...

In my experience you should not even be allowed to take this amount out through a drive through period, and especially it being a personal check. The same person then went into same branch and took a large cash withdrawal out, and too another branch and cashed more fraudulent checks, all while my accounts are supposed to be locked. The Employees need more training obviously, now its been 3 1/2 weeks and my money has still not been returned, as they say they are (investigating it). I trusted to keep my money with you guys as a bank and this is the thanks I get in return. I reached out to corporate over a week ago, and still have not heard back from anyone. I am very disappointed in the customer service I have received regarding this. it was not a few dollars stolen it was thousands, and now I as a customer have to suffer due to the banks lack of due diligence. I no longer feel this bank is safe and secure.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I was a TCF customer for over 25 years. Had very issues with TCF that weren't resolved. When Huntington took over TCF I had a feeling things would be screwed up with my direct deposit. No issue with my check on October 15th. Today, Nov 1, no direct deposit. This is after I asked at a branch if I should change my work's direct deposit form to the new account and routing number. I was told there was no need to change anything and no issues would arise. Called the customer service number. 1st rep wouldn't assist me unless I told her the last exact dollar amount transferred in from another place. Told her the transaction date, what institution it was from and the rough amount. She wouldn't assist me any further unless I had the exact amount. Since I was on my cellphone and couldn't access my account while talking I ended the call.

Second rep sounded like she just woke up. Told her the situation and her response was to call back tomorrow. Third rep said that it may be an issue with the Federal Reserve clearing house releasing the money and to call back later or tomorrow. My pay dares are always the 1st or 16th. If they fall on a weekend or holiday it's the business day before. One person I saw on BBB is having the same exact issue. I'm sure they're more. No answers on what happened and how to solve it. No doubt they won't resolve this. Give me the information so I can resolve it myself.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

The account was previously with TCF. After the transfer my mortgage payment was changed from electronic to paper check. This payment has been electronic for 17 years through three bank buy-outs without any issues. I called to get this changed back to electronic a week ago. Payment was suppose to be delivered by the first of the month. Huntington has now changed the bill to be sent on 11/29 for delivery by 12/08 by snail mail! The web site will not permit me to edit the send date earlier than 11/29. Making matters worse is that the mortgage servicer has a horrible reputation for getting payments correct and the electronic payment was my only protection against their incompetence. Huntington customer service takes over an hour to respond to requests to fix this issue and fails to fix the problem.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

This bank has just taken over our old bank, Tried to contact Huntington about a matter they brought to my attention. Was unable to contact both online and via phone to no avail. Message said they were busy and to call back later, then hung up. Looks like they grew their market without adding staff. Or they just don't care?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

This company does not have email support and they expect you to call them back which can be as long as over 3 hours. When you miss the call they give you a voicemail which says: Press #1 to connect. Well, serious! How can you do that when you are in voicemail. It has taken me over 5 days to talk with someone just to tell me they do not have the ability to mail or email me to a letterhead letter for my nonprofit organization for some information that is needed for necessary items which TCF is no longer dealing with my banking needs. This is the worse bank I have any dealt with. I am pulling all my money from this bank and I certainly hope you will do the same. How can this bank even be considered a reputable company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

They took over my TCF Bank. In the transfer they messed up my car payment so I got an overdraft fee twice. They fixed that then they took two car payments out in a month. I'm done with this bank. I'm taking all my stuff and transferring it to another bank.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Worst bank ever! I had 5000$ unauthorized withdraw from my account - The bank said that their investigations didn't lead them anywhere. With a police report and a fraud application filed they still refused to refund the money. We froze that account and until now they won't remove the freeze from it! I went to the bank myself the lady looked at me as if I am stealing my own money! My husband insisted on staying with them, we were promised extra security on our shared account. Some one was able to breach the system and steal close to 980$ as no security measures were posted on the account.

When I called customer service to speak to the fraud department they assured me that no dual security measures was put in place and the person who handled the account failed to do it. I was offered their understanding and apologies! Where do I cash that? I filed a complaint and was promised to receive a call back from the manager him/herself today October 26,2012 around noon. As of now 6:40 pm I didn't receive any phone call nor an update of what had happened. Don't trust them, they will never regain our trust ever again!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Nothing happened the way it was supposed to. Couldn't log in. Debit card a week late and now my paycheck is missing and they have no idea where it is. Had to spend a half a day resetting everything to pay my bills. Will be moving to a credit union.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

Huntington took over TCF and you can't speak to anybody at all. On a Saturday morning I tried to go to the Coon rapids Minnesota Riverdale location to deposit my kid's paycheck. The line wrapped around the branch and there was one person working while a manager just stood there. We finally had to leave. The customer service is worthless!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My bank was bought out by Huntington and it has been a full week of attempting to reach their business customer service. I've probably racked up about 30 hours on hold and counting because I'm still on hold and have nothing to do but leave reviews to distract myself from the mind ** wait music... They totally botched moving my account migration because I can use Forgot Password? Forgot Username? using the email that they've successfully sent emails to this whole last month.

What really gets me is that they provide the number to their personal banker when you're having issues logging into your business banking. They obvious don't have a user experience manager because this whole experience has been a shambling mess. I thought TCF was bad, but then they got bought out by something worse...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Started with Marshall Savings Bank, got bought out by TCF Bank, then they sold out to Monarch Community Bank, they sold to Chemical Bank, and finally back to TCF Bank and of course now it’s Huntington Bank. I was warned by past customers of Huntington Bank that they are not customer savvy. All about the buck. Staff are nice but over worked and apparently under paid. Never anybody at customer support, always having ACH problems, and the transition has been a nightmare. The first week after the buy out has been so ridiculous you can’t even get into the door so many people waiting to get log in issues fixed, balances are not correct, I’m tired of dealing with the constant problems they have created.

TCF was fine. I had no problems. Now all of my accounts are separate and I have to log in to multiple accounts to see my personal and business accounts. Super not happy. Just opened a new account at Kellogg Community Credit Union to see how they are. My son banks there and likes it. See you Huntington and whoever you sell out to. Lost a great customer.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

TCF Bank of Minneapolis just sold to Huntington Bank of Ohio. I was worried about how the changes would affect me and use of my money. I was with TCF for more than 10 years and I got treated well. But I thought this change would be traumatic. I had also had just moved and just needed more access to my money. To my surprise I got instructions in the mail from Huntington on how to proceed. They must have mailed me a couple of times a week and all I did was follow their very easy and detailed instructions. The change over went without a hitch and I find the Huntington Bank site easier to use and it has more helpful tools for budgeting etc.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

In the process of being transferred from TCF Bank in Michigan to Huntington due to a buyout. This is been miserable and completely avoidable. Now I'm in bank purgatory because I can't access my accounts and can't find anyone to take a call and the website doesn't work. How awesome is that?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

No customer support anymore. I am looking at other banks to take my 1.5m commercial business. Have banked here for years. And this organization has declined steadily over the last two. And in speaking to the branch associates, they give me the impression they could care less.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

TCF purchased Chemical Bank of Midland about three years ago in a seamless move that required little from account holders other than to continue to patronize as before. Too bad it was such a brief relationship. Huntington has been involved in a takeover-transition/rollout for several months now, that has given us booklets of boilerplate, a steady stream of email and USPS mail requesting dated actions by TCF clients to facilitate transition all leading up to the switch on October 12. I completed these tasks on 9/28/21, and have an email from Huntington attesting that I'm "all set when online access to Huntington switches to Huntington on October 12".

Well, that did not work out as they planned. I found that altho I could log in, am unable to view my account and confirm that there was money in it. I asked if someone inside "could help me". That was a "No"; they were already helping others. Then, asking about time tomorrow, was told someone would have to call me back to set up a time. This is what happens when a business begins to milk an acquisition. Marketing resource floods the clientele with boilerplate detail and lots of hype while the operational planning and transitional resource is neglected. Wait time for online help is "greater than an hour" with no offer to leave a number for a call back. Staff at the branch act as if there are no problems....until you ask for help. They seem to know no more than the customer, or are unwilling to answer questions. I was able to get a staff member to confirm that the balance in my account was the same as my own records.

I now see, while reading several online commentary tools, my experience is not unlike that of many others. Fortunately we have other banking associations because I literally cannot move funds from my Huntington account at this point. To be fair, I just received a call from a staff member at my local Huntington branch, literally two minutes ago, scheduling some time tomorrow to help correct whatever the problem may be.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My spouse and I have a mortgage loan together which, sadly, came under the servicing of this horrible joke of a bank. Rather than transferring the mortgage documentation and my online account, which I had with TCF, they simply deleted me from the records. I guess that must be easier than doing any work? This all started in July when my name had been deleted from the loan statements. I called TCF to ask about that and they said my name is still showing on the account and they would fix it. Well, they didn't.

By October 5th they were passing my phone calls back and forth between TCF and Huntington and not getting anything resolved. By October 12th it's as though I don't exist at all. They even reported to the credit bureaus that my mortgage account is closed (and of course they didn't send me a certificate of satisfaction), they refuse to talk to me about the loan and they claim that I'm not a party to the loan at all. They have talked to me like I'm retarded saying things like "Maybe you were just allowed to speak to TCF by the actual borrower (my SPOUSE) and you're not actually a co-borrower." I'm pretty sure I know when I'm a co-borrower to something as major as a mortgage loan!! Then they tell me I will have to FAX (IS THIS 1985???) them documentation to prove that I'm a co-borrower before they will talk to me about the loan or allow me to set up an online account.

They have no secure messaging system on their site and, in fact, as soon as Huntington took over TCF Bank the secure messaging system was the first thing to be deleted from the online dashboard. They were unable to provide me with any secure way to send documentation other than to go to a branch and "sit down with a banker." Ain't nobody got time for that, are you kidding me! I'm not wasting hours out of my day because THEY can't find their own heads! Maybe if they want to compensate me for doing their job I might think about it, but of course they wouldn't do that. So the Huntington phone rep continued to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about and demand that I send them proof as well as blame TCF for not sending the records properly. Um, Huntington took over TCF so it's now HUNTINGTON'S job to straighten out these records.

When I asked for the address to make a RESPA written notice of error he became confused and took on a rude tone just stating the same things over and over: that I should take the mortgage documentation to the branch or FAX it to "mortgage research." Since mortgage documentation is a considerable amount of paperwork, I asked which page, exactly, would they need to see? He was unable to tell me. And just to be clear, I had called a number that was supposed to be mortgage customer service but to be honest I think all these numbers lead to the same general pool of rude idiots. In the end he never did give me the RESPA address, I had to Google it. I originated this mortgage in 2012 at Northwestern Bank. Since then it's gone through two other bank mergers with no problems. It wasn't until Huntington came along that it became a nightmare.

I have more complaints about this bank. I had a business checking account with them that I opened in 2019. As per their usual lack of modern technology, I had to open it in person. It literally took half a day. I was in that place the entire morning just to open a checking account. And even that they screwed up. The banker didn't know how to open an account and didn't know what a DBA is! I finally got sick of them and called to close the account in early 2020. They refused to close it over the phone and there was no method for closing it online, I had to go into a branch and spend ANOTHER half day in there because, unbelievably, their bankers didn't know how to close an account either!

Also, when I spoke to the supposed mortgage customer service rep yesterday (Oct 12), I mentioned that my online login was still available from that old account. He told me that's because I didn't delete it, I would have to delete it if I didn't want it. Well I went in there and checked and I can't find any way to do that from within their "HUB." This bank is disorganized and their reps have no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about. I can't recommend this place to anyone, not even for one of their promo bonuses. Just don't do it. They aren't worth the serious aggravation you will feel. You've been warned.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

RUN, I was with TCF Bank that merged with Huntington Bank. I don't think it's been a week and I have a unexplained fee for "Check Image Statement Fee". I called the bank to ask why, I have been on the phone for over 50 minutes without speaking to anyone. When it come to my money I don't like waiting. Because a lot of my bill are automatic withdraw it will take about a month to transfer everything. One more thing I have to do because of bad customer service. I'm going to another bank tomorrow to start a new account. I don't feel they deserve a star but the system won't let me leave a review without giving them one.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Just transfer to this bank due to TCF bank. This bank is horrible, the day my account transfer 10/12/2021. For unknown reason I was charged a total of about 500$ for no reason. Called customer service and it was an horrible experience also.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Stand by cash does nothing for you except lowers your score on the credit bureau. Also beware when you go on vacation and use your debit card. They freeze your account and does not care that you can't rent a hotel room without it, This is the worst unkindest generic bank on earth. I tried calling corporate to get the problem resolved to reach someone who doesn't speak clear English.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used mobile deposit to deposit a check. After doing so it was flagged as fraudulent and both of my accounts were froze and could not use whatsoever. I called to multiple phone calls to even get an answer. One person at customer service even gave me advice to borrow money from a family or friend. I mean really? So they flagged the check. That's great but why freeze my account and my money that's already there?? Never did get an answer about that, But if that check was fraudulent what about the 2 I deposited a week prior to it from the same company by the same person and for almost the exact amount. If that's the case they have a flawed system and just flash stuff when they want to. They used to be a good bank. I have been a customer of theirs for 13 years. I have never been more embarrassed to admit something.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

After deposit check in to my account I was locked out of online banking for a week until the check cleared. The only thing you can do is call every day to check your balance or visit your local branch. Very inconvenient.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Huntington let someone or somebody take money out of my account with a card that work. The card was closed in April 2020 but the. Money was stolen. Aug 25 2021. Can't nobody tell me anything so I'm closing my account with them. My money is not safe with this bank. #BADBANKBUSINESS

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Simply the worst customer service in town. I could not get anyone to tell me where to mail my monthly mortgage payments. It was the simplest request, but no one had any answers, and no one wanted to help or take responsibility for the problem. Awful!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Do not get a loan from here! I got married in October 2020 and changed my last name everywhere except on my car loan. Huntington headquarters referred me to the nearest bank location and said I had to go into the office to change my last name on the loan account (during the middle of a pandemic it was strange that they couldn't accommodate a mail in request like every other bank I work with). I called quite a few different locations near me and all of them said the request has to go through headquarters. It was this back-and-forth none sense for months. Finally, one banker told me it would be easier to just paid the car loan in full and pay the extra money to the state to have the name changed after I had the title because they aren't sure how to change the last name on the account (are you kidding me?)!

I was unhappy that my last name on my registration and license did not match for months. Finally paid it off on June 1st, and then they never sent me the title. They claim that it had been sent out on the 8th of June but they don't send the titles out with tracking numbers so they "assume it was lost." Now, I have to pay $50 just to get a copy of the title because of Huntington's mistake. They claimed they would sent a lien release letter in July, I never received it.

I called back in the beginning of August and they said they would put in another request and that "there isn't anything else they can do." I just called back and spoke with Ben in their loan department and asked to speak with a manager 7 times because he kept saying their loan department is backed up and they can't do anything else for me. Finally he said he would transfer me to his manager's voicemail and he transferred me to an entirely different banking institution. If I could rate them negative stars for this entire experience I would.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I have been with Huntington for over 2 years now, mainly because my lack of options in other banks being from a small county. Over the course of these two years my card has been froze/held/locked without me knowing over a dozen times, and when it happens it takes 2-3 business days to unlock, how can you run a business like this? I’ve had over 6 checks that I’ve deposited that have been ‘reviewed’ because they've been ‘altered’, all of which after two week were deposited after long calls and teeth pulling conversation. I am so glad to be moving to a larger county so I can have a large, more customer friendly bank. I would rate Huntington a 1 star, but I’ve never had any money missing from my account so there’s that.

Original review: July 30, 2021

This bank in a 2 month timespan has turned into a complete joke. Everything is constantly blocked now. Transactions with BlockFi...blocked. Coinbase...blocked. Chase Bank...blocked. Robinhood...blocked. Called customer service, disabled the 3rd party security. Blocked. I'm done. I'd call tomorrow but it's Friday. That's usually when the app goes down, web based site is down...lol. No wonder people are moving to DeFi.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I'm not a customer of Huntington and after this experience I can tell you that I never will be. I bank with Fifth Third which is an excellent Bank. I normally, during the course of my business day, take checks from customers and cash them as opposed to depositing them directly into my account. It used to be relatively simple and I am fine with the ten dollar charge that is levied for not being an account holder of Huntington. I also understand the need for caution by financial institutions that are accepting checks however I have never experienced anything like this.

I went into the branch in Niles Michigan to cash a $220 check from my girlfriend's mother for materials for a job I'm doing for her. When I got to the teller she asked for two forms of ID which I had but it needed to either be one of my credit cards or social security card which I don't carry when I'm working. I said that's fine I'll come back tomorrow. I came back the next day, got the same teller and she asked if it was the same check. I said yes, then I gave her my DL and a credit card and my social security card and she said. "Oh... I'm sorry there's not enough funds to cover the check."

I was 100% certain that that was not the case and checking with my girlfriend's mother she verified there's way more than enough money in there. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about it I guess this is a start. Don't use this Bank. Think you have issues as an account holding customer? Try being a normal customer off the street! You would be better off keeping your money in a mattress.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I went to buy a vehicle last night, unable to purchase my car, because they decided to lock my account for no reason. I called when they open up, and was told to CB at 830 when I'm supposed to be at work. I will be closing my account and moving to another bank.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I opened new accounts with Huntington and they put my first deposit on a ten day hold! I showed the branch a copy of the deposit clearing the other bank and they still would not release the funds. I do not know who can go ten days without access to their funds when they switch banks - but not me! This was NOT disclosed upon deposit. I found this unacceptable. As soon as they release my funds next week, I am removing everything and closing the accounts. Not a great way to start a new relationship - showing your customers you have gridlock policies that do not benefit them. A ten day funds hold in 2021 is unnecessary. These days, items clear the issuing bank by the next business day. These are electronic processes. I will be going back to PNC - even if the drive to the branches is a little further.

Huntington Bank Company Information