2.5/5 (249 ratings)

About Huntington Bank

Huntington Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Huntington Bank?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My bank was bought out by Huntington and it has been a full week of attempting to reach their business customer service. I've probably racked up about 30 hours on hold and counting because I'm still on hold and have nothing to do but leave reviews to distract myself from the mind ** wait music... They totally botched moving my account migration because I can use Forgot Password? Forgot Username? using the email that they've successfully sent emails to this whole last month.

What really gets me is that they provide the number to their personal banker when you're having issues logging into your business banking. They obvious don't have a user experience manager because this whole experience has been a shambling mess. I thought TCF was bad, but then they got bought out by something worse...

Original review: Oct. 18, 2021

Started with Marshall Savings Bank, got bought out by TCF Bank, then they sold out to Monarch Community Bank, they sold to Chemical Bank, and finally back to TCF Bank and of course now it’s Huntington Bank. I was warned by past customers of Huntington Bank that they are not customer savvy. All about the buck. Staff are nice but over worked and apparently under paid. Never anybody at customer support, always having ACH problems, and the transition has been a nightmare. The first week after the buy out has been so ridiculous you can’t even get into the door so many people waiting to get log in issues fixed, balances are not correct, I’m tired of dealing with the constant problems they have created.

TCF was fine. I had no problems. Now all of my accounts are separate and I have to log in to multiple accounts to see my personal and business accounts. Super not happy. Just opened a new account at Kellogg Community Credit Union to see how they are. My son banks there and likes it. See you Huntington and whoever you sell out to. Lost a great customer.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

TCF Bank of Minneapolis just sold to Huntington Bank of Ohio. I was worried about how the changes would affect me and use of my money. I was with TCF for more than 10 years and I got treated well. But I thought this change would be traumatic. I had also had just moved and just needed more access to my money. To my surprise I got instructions in the mail from Huntington on how to proceed. They must have mailed me a couple of times a week and all I did was follow their very easy and detailed instructions. The change over went without a hitch and I find the Huntington Bank site easier to use and it has more helpful tools for budgeting etc.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

In the process of being transferred from TCF Bank in Michigan to Huntington due to a buyout. This is been miserable and completely avoidable. Now I'm in bank purgatory because I can't access my accounts and can't find anyone to take a call and the website doesn't work. How awesome is that?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

No customer support anymore. I am looking at other banks to take my 1.5m commercial business. Have banked here for years. And this organization has declined steadily over the last two. And in speaking to the branch associates, they give me the impression they could care less.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

TCF purchased Chemical Bank of Midland about three years ago in a seamless move that required little from account holders other than to continue to patronize as before. Too bad it was such a brief relationship. Huntington has been involved in a takeover-transition/rollout for several months now, that has given us booklets of boilerplate, a steady stream of email and USPS mail requesting dated actions by TCF clients to facilitate transition all leading up to the switch on October 12. I completed these tasks on 9/28/21, and have an email from Huntington attesting that I'm "all set when online access to Huntington switches to Huntington on October 12".

Well, that did not work out as they planned. I found that altho I could log in, am unable to view my account and confirm that there was money in it. I asked if someone inside "could help me". That was a "No"; they were already helping others. Then, asking about time tomorrow, was told someone would have to call me back to set up a time. This is what happens when a business begins to milk an acquisition. Marketing resource floods the clientele with boilerplate detail and lots of hype while the operational planning and transitional resource is neglected. Wait time for online help is "greater than an hour" with no offer to leave a number for a call back. Staff at the branch act as if there are no problems....until you ask for help. They seem to know no more than the customer, or are unwilling to answer questions. I was able to get a staff member to confirm that the balance in my account was the same as my own records.

I now see, while reading several online commentary tools, my experience is not unlike that of many others. Fortunately we have other banking associations because I literally cannot move funds from my Huntington account at this point. To be fair, I just received a call from a staff member at my local Huntington branch, literally two minutes ago, scheduling some time tomorrow to help correct whatever the problem may be.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My spouse and I have a mortgage loan together which, sadly, came under the servicing of this horrible joke of a bank. Rather than transferring the mortgage documentation and my online account, which I had with TCF, they simply deleted me from the records. I guess that must be easier than doing any work? This all started in July when my name had been deleted from the loan statements. I called TCF to ask about that and they said my name is still showing on the account and they would fix it. Well, they didn't.

By October 5th they were passing my phone calls back and forth between TCF and Huntington and not getting anything resolved. By October 12th it's as though I don't exist at all. They even reported to the credit bureaus that my mortgage account is closed (and of course they didn't send me a certificate of satisfaction), they refuse to talk to me about the loan and they claim that I'm not a party to the loan at all. They have talked to me like I'm retarded saying things like "Maybe you were just allowed to speak to TCF by the actual borrower (my SPOUSE) and you're not actually a co-borrower." I'm pretty sure I know when I'm a co-borrower to something as major as a mortgage loan!! Then they tell me I will have to FAX (IS THIS 1985???) them documentation to prove that I'm a co-borrower before they will talk to me about the loan or allow me to set up an online account.

They have no secure messaging system on their site and, in fact, as soon as Huntington took over TCF Bank the secure messaging system was the first thing to be deleted from the online dashboard. They were unable to provide me with any secure way to send documentation other than to go to a branch and "sit down with a banker." Ain't nobody got time for that, are you kidding me! I'm not wasting hours out of my day because THEY can't find their own heads! Maybe if they want to compensate me for doing their job I might think about it, but of course they wouldn't do that. So the Huntington phone rep continued to suggest I don't know what I'm talking about and demand that I send them proof as well as blame TCF for not sending the records properly. Um, Huntington took over TCF so it's now HUNTINGTON'S job to straighten out these records.

When I asked for the address to make a RESPA written notice of error he became confused and took on a rude tone just stating the same things over and over: that I should take the mortgage documentation to the branch or FAX it to "mortgage research." Since mortgage documentation is a considerable amount of paperwork, I asked which page, exactly, would they need to see? He was unable to tell me. And just to be clear, I had called a number that was supposed to be mortgage customer service but to be honest I think all these numbers lead to the same general pool of rude idiots. In the end he never did give me the RESPA address, I had to Google it. I originated this mortgage in 2012 at Northwestern Bank. Since then it's gone through two other bank mergers with no problems. It wasn't until Huntington came along that it became a nightmare.

I have more complaints about this bank. I had a business checking account with them that I opened in 2019. As per their usual lack of modern technology, I had to open it in person. It literally took half a day. I was in that place the entire morning just to open a checking account. And even that they screwed up. The banker didn't know how to open an account and didn't know what a DBA is! I finally got sick of them and called to close the account in early 2020. They refused to close it over the phone and there was no method for closing it online, I had to go into a branch and spend ANOTHER half day in there because, unbelievably, their bankers didn't know how to close an account either!

Also, when I spoke to the supposed mortgage customer service rep yesterday (Oct 12), I mentioned that my online login was still available from that old account. He told me that's because I didn't delete it, I would have to delete it if I didn't want it. Well I went in there and checked and I can't find any way to do that from within their "HUB." This bank is disorganized and their reps have no idea what they are doing or what they are talking about. I can't recommend this place to anyone, not even for one of their promo bonuses. Just don't do it. They aren't worth the serious aggravation you will feel. You've been warned.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

RUN, I was with TCF Bank that merged with Huntington Bank. I don't think it's been a week and I have a unexplained fee for "Check Image Statement Fee". I called the bank to ask why, I have been on the phone for over 50 minutes without speaking to anyone. When it come to my money I don't like waiting. Because a lot of my bill are automatic withdraw it will take about a month to transfer everything. One more thing I have to do because of bad customer service. I'm going to another bank tomorrow to start a new account. I don't feel they deserve a star but the system won't let me leave a review without giving them one.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Just transfer to this bank due to TCF bank. This bank is horrible, the day my account transfer 10/12/2021. For unknown reason I was charged a total of about 500$ for no reason. Called customer service and it was an horrible experience also.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Stand by cash does nothing for you except lowers your score on the credit bureau. Also beware when you go on vacation and use your debit card. They freeze your account and does not care that you can't rent a hotel room without it, This is the worst unkindest generic bank on earth. I tried calling corporate to get the problem resolved to reach someone who doesn't speak clear English.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used mobile deposit to deposit a check. After doing so it was flagged as fraudulent and both of my accounts were froze and could not use whatsoever. I called to multiple phone calls to even get an answer. One person at customer service even gave me advice to borrow money from a family or friend. I mean really? So they flagged the check. That's great but why freeze my account and my money that's already there?? Never did get an answer about that, But if that check was fraudulent what about the 2 I deposited a week prior to it from the same company by the same person and for almost the exact amount. If that's the case they have a flawed system and just flash stuff when they want to. They used to be a good bank. I have been a customer of theirs for 13 years. I have never been more embarrassed to admit something.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

After deposit check in to my account I was locked out of online banking for a week until the check cleared. The only thing you can do is call every day to check your balance or visit your local branch. Very inconvenient.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

Huntington let someone or somebody take money out of my account with a card that work. The card was closed in April 2020 but the. Money was stolen. Aug 25 2021. Can't nobody tell me anything so I'm closing my account with them. My money is not safe with this bank. #BADBANKBUSINESS

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

Simply the worst customer service in town. I could not get anyone to tell me where to mail my monthly mortgage payments. It was the simplest request, but no one had any answers, and no one wanted to help or take responsibility for the problem. Awful!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Do not get a loan from here! I got married in October 2020 and changed my last name everywhere except on my car loan. Huntington headquarters referred me to the nearest bank location and said I had to go into the office to change my last name on the loan account (during the middle of a pandemic it was strange that they couldn't accommodate a mail in request like every other bank I work with). I called quite a few different locations near me and all of them said the request has to go through headquarters. It was this back-and-forth none sense for months. Finally, one banker told me it would be easier to just paid the car loan in full and pay the extra money to the state to have the name changed after I had the title because they aren't sure how to change the last name on the account (are you kidding me?)!

I was unhappy that my last name on my registration and license did not match for months. Finally paid it off on June 1st, and then they never sent me the title. They claim that it had been sent out on the 8th of June but they don't send the titles out with tracking numbers so they "assume it was lost." Now, I have to pay $50 just to get a copy of the title because of Huntington's mistake. They claimed they would sent a lien release letter in July, I never received it.

I called back in the beginning of August and they said they would put in another request and that "there isn't anything else they can do." I just called back and spoke with Ben in their loan department and asked to speak with a manager 7 times because he kept saying their loan department is backed up and they can't do anything else for me. Finally he said he would transfer me to his manager's voicemail and he transferred me to an entirely different banking institution. If I could rate them negative stars for this entire experience I would.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

I have been with Huntington for over 2 years now, mainly because my lack of options in other banks being from a small county. Over the course of these two years my card has been froze/held/locked without me knowing over a dozen times, and when it happens it takes 2-3 business days to unlock, how can you run a business like this? I’ve had over 6 checks that I’ve deposited that have been ‘reviewed’ because they've been ‘altered’, all of which after two week were deposited after long calls and teeth pulling conversation. I am so glad to be moving to a larger county so I can have a large, more customer friendly bank. I would rate Huntington a 1 star, but I’ve never had any money missing from my account so there’s that.

Original review: July 30, 2021

This bank in a 2 month timespan has turned into a complete joke. Everything is constantly blocked now. Transactions with BlockFi...blocked. Coinbase...blocked. Chase Bank...blocked. Robinhood...blocked. Called customer service, disabled the 3rd party security. Blocked. I'm done. I'd call tomorrow but it's Friday. That's usually when the app goes down, web based site is down...lol. No wonder people are moving to DeFi.

Original review: July 7, 2021

I'm not a customer of Huntington and after this experience I can tell you that I never will be. I bank with Fifth Third which is an excellent Bank. I normally, during the course of my business day, take checks from customers and cash them as opposed to depositing them directly into my account. It used to be relatively simple and I am fine with the ten dollar charge that is levied for not being an account holder of Huntington. I also understand the need for caution by financial institutions that are accepting checks however I have never experienced anything like this.

I went into the branch in Niles Michigan to cash a $220 check from my girlfriend's mother for materials for a job I'm doing for her. When I got to the teller she asked for two forms of ID which I had but it needed to either be one of my credit cards or social security card which I don't carry when I'm working. I said that's fine I'll come back tomorrow. I came back the next day, got the same teller and she asked if it was the same check. I said yes, then I gave her my DL and a credit card and my social security card and she said. "Oh... I'm sorry there's not enough funds to cover the check."

I was 100% certain that that was not the case and checking with my girlfriend's mother she verified there's way more than enough money in there. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about it I guess this is a start. Don't use this Bank. Think you have issues as an account holding customer? Try being a normal customer off the street! You would be better off keeping your money in a mattress.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I went to buy a vehicle last night, unable to purchase my car, because they decided to lock my account for no reason. I called when they open up, and was told to CB at 830 when I'm supposed to be at work. I will be closing my account and moving to another bank.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I opened new accounts with Huntington and they put my first deposit on a ten day hold! I showed the branch a copy of the deposit clearing the other bank and they still would not release the funds. I do not know who can go ten days without access to their funds when they switch banks - but not me! This was NOT disclosed upon deposit. I found this unacceptable. As soon as they release my funds next week, I am removing everything and closing the accounts. Not a great way to start a new relationship - showing your customers you have gridlock policies that do not benefit them. A ten day funds hold in 2021 is unnecessary. These days, items clear the issuing bank by the next business day. These are electronic processes. I will be going back to PNC - even if the drive to the branches is a little further.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Very friendly on the phone or in person. Great variety of accounts and services. The overdraft protection is always a nice perk, and they were really great helping their customers during and after covid!

Original review: June 3, 2021

I decided to bank with Huntington for my first sole checking account. I had been with them for about 9 months before things went downhill. Long story short, a month ago I was scammed out of $1000 and Huntington won’t do anything about it. I was sent a cashier’s check for a product, took it to a teller, and Huntington made it available to me the next day. The person no longer wanted the product so I sent them a refund and poof, not even a day later, Huntington took the check right back out of my account and I was in negative.

Looking back, it was clearly a scam, however, I thought Huntington would take some responsibility and give me back my funds because they didn’t initially catch that the check was fake nor did they place a hold on it. I also didn’t have the funds to cover the check in my account either but they still deposited it anyways. Of course, since they did this I thought the money was good and I would have never sent the person a refund if Huntington hadn’t made the funds available to me. I filed a dispute and a police report but nothing came out of either.

A Huntington dispute supervisor gave me some advice that their checks are not considered “clear” for about 10 business days and even if they deposit your check immediately and do not place a hold on it, it is still the customer’s fault if funds are lost. He also told me that fake checks are becoming more common and slipping through the cracks. Of course this advice was pretty useless since they told me this after I was scammed. I say all this to say that Huntington is a bank that has little to no protection for their customers in scam situations. They seem to have an unreliable initial system for flagging fake checks yet they still rarely place holds on them. I have also heard that due to this, Huntington is one of the easier banks to get fraudulent checks through which is why scammers like to use them. If you’re scammed Huntington will pretty much laugh in your face. I don’t recommend them.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I have been with this bank for many years. When I had my debit card number was stolen, I received a message from my bank very quickly. The staff is always there to answer any questions I have or any problems that arise. They are always kind, respectful and patient.

Original review: April 4, 2021

My daughter was issued a PCL, personal credit line which is an equity loan. Maximum set of $50,000. It was to "consolidate" her other loans. So her house, which her family paid off, is collateral. The PCL had only a minimum payment required of the interest charges which now amount to $75.00 per month. This is a predatory practice and eventually they would have seized her home. She was up to $24,000 in debt when I found the monthly statement. She was using the PCL to buy extravagant items unnecessary for health or life because they issued a card that looks like an ordinary credit card. She is not earning interest on her savings or checking accounts. I am in process now of getting her away from this bank. Do not do business with predatory institutions who sole purpose is to make money off you and seize your assets.

Original review: April 1, 2021

This bank is not secure for people make deposits. The bank work so bad. The customer service is really bad. And their close the consumer account with no previous advise to the consumer. I have really bad experience with this bank.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My experience with Huntington Bank was terrible in this loan process. This left my kids and I homeless. Chelsey ** and Terri ** disrupted the chain of command which resulted in no place to stay.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Huntington Bank carries the loan we have for an RV. Our loan originally started out at over $100,000 and is currently under 26,000. Before the pandemic hit, we were never late with a payment, of any kind and both have credit scores over 800. After losing our income, it became difficult to make this payment especially on time. I recently called huntington AGAiN and begged them to work with me on this account, especially since we have been such good customers, paid this account down so far and it is difficult for people right now! We are both over 65, with very limited income.

I received a letter back stating that they were unable to assist us in any way. I was completely shocked by this lack of effort to work with me on the loan to any degree. Here’s the worst part- every single day I get an email, a letter in the mail and a phone call. Mind you, I am only 1/2 to one payment late. Sometimes I just cry over this lack of compassion and downright harassment over this payment. It is ridiculous and uncalled for in these times. You would think they could at least stop their harassment, stop with the constant late charges- anything- to show that their bank has an ounce of compassion. Nope- not this bank. Shame on you Huntington.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I have been dealing with Huntington since 2017, and it’s been a nightmare. I refinanced with a HELOC in 2017. The totally unprofessional appraiser showed up 2 hours late and devalued my home by $15k (it had just been appraised the previous month by a PROFESSIONAL appraiser). Then they sent the payoff to the wrong address even though I had provided them with the correct info. I am locked into my current rate for 10 years before becoming a variable rate, but I decided that since rates are at record lows now and since I had just received a new higher appraisal and it might be good to get some cash out for home upgrades I decided to refi into a traditional mortgage in August 2020.

Once again, they sent extremely unprofessional appraisers (2) who were 1 1/2 hours late with no apology or explanation and submitted completely unfactual/incomplete info in their report, along with grainy black and white photos, using unrelatable comps from other neighborhoods which devalued my house by $20k. They had been discussing which bank this appraisal was for, no doubt skewing the results to accommodate Huntington’s wishes. I filed an appeal, along with 5 comps that sold in the last 6 months provided by my realtor verifying the true value of my home, yet they stuck to their guns.

After several weeks of frustration and being out $450 for a fraudulent appraisal, I rejected their lame offer to refi with no cash back, increasing my payments by $200 per month and asking to escrow my insurance and taxes. No way would I accept this insane off or ever trust them with an escrow account! Not to mention they charge a yearly fee... REALLY??!? I used to bank with large banks doing business solely online but I thought it would be better to deal with a local bank, but I was wrong. They are scammers through and through and not to be trusted.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I've been a long term customer of Huntington Bank. I went to the bank after receiving notification of available funds for withdrawal. After going to a few other banks which I was able to withdraw funds with no issues. I went to the bank in St Clair Shores located at little mack and 11 mile. After the transaction was processed the teller asked me if I were going to another bank and I said yes. She then reversed transaction and returned the funds to my account. I asked her why she did this and she said Huntington has a policy that allows customers to draw a certain amount per day. I told her this wasn't true and that I was aware that you could only draw a certain amount from each branch but she said that wasn't true.

She called her manager Sara, who said the same thing and told me we were done here. Sent my ID and Card back, but kept the withdrawal slip. When asked why again she said we are done here and I was on the phone with huntington call center while this was going on. Sara then went and called the fraud department and reported suspicious activity on my account and locked me out of it without me being aware. I went to do a deposit with my card at an atm machine and it was embarrassing because after 2 attempts it was rejected. My account was then altered to show that the deposit was never in my account and that I had a negative balance. After talking with customer service, a discrimination complaint was filed. I also sent a detailed email with attachments to the CEO and received a call back.

This morning I received a couple of calls apologizing for the inconvenience of being locked out of my account for 5 days and Sue told me the manager said she filed the fraud complaint because I had gone to different banks and my ID could have been altered because people alter IDs all the time. This has been hurtful and a real inconvenience, especially during this pandemic. There was no consideration for me and my circumstances at all. My history shows that I've always been able to do the same type of transactions. They then told me they sent the money back to the sender and asked me to reach out to them and ask them to send it back to them.

I don't trust this bank nor will I continue to do business with an establishment who uphold the negative actions of their employees. Huntington needs to understand that ** people have money too. Banking while ** is truly a concern that needs to be investigated. Huntington is in the process of merging with TCF and planning to service the city of Detroit. People need to be aware of this and protect themselves and their resources from this type of discriminatory treatment.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

Earlier this year, we booked a family vacation to Las Vegas, of course, due to the pandemic, we were not sure if we were going to make it. We noticed that Southwest had canceled and rebooked our flight without our consent, so we sought a refund. Southwest gave us a major runaround, until they realized their mistake. Upon speaking with Huntington, they provided a provisional credit for the amount of $2,00 dollars. What we had to do was provide Huntington with information of what happened, and they could make a decision to see if we deserved the actual refund.

This is where things get dumb; My wife, and I, sent them the information form the Department of Transportation, which clearly indicates "A full refund is required for any canceled flights". We sent them paperwork, more paperwork, and even more paperwork. Each time they would say they never received it. Even after one person said they had it and was sending it for review. This happened THREE times. Ultimately, Huntington stated that they were going to side with the airline, and if we did not return the provisional credit, they would close our account.

It can take 90 days to receive a refund, and after they said we had until August 3rd, they closed our account on the 1st. Southwest issued the refund, however since the account was closed, the payment bounced back. Now, this check, even with a tracking number is being said to be at the airline, they airline says the bank has it. My wife just talked to Huntington today, more runaround. This is what Huntington does, very dirty, closing accounts prior to the agreed date, and completely incompetent. As well as "never receiving" our paperwork. Once, I could see, twice? Maybe, but three times? No, this was just a way for Huntington to try to get more money from people. I will never, ever return to Huntington, and I will inform others of their incompetent actions.

Huntington Bank Company Information