Household Finance

Compare Mortgage Companies

Research top Mortgage Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

How horrible and disgusting that this company is not taken down and preys on older people or people with disabilities. My mother died last year and her house still had a mortgage on it from HFC. I couldn't believes this low life company that makes their rules unbelievable. It made me sick to deal with this company. Can't you see all the complaints, can't everyone get ahold of their congressmen and tell them about this horrible company?

Found out in 1998 my mother who after a stroke decided after we bailed her out from foreclosure that HFC said "well we will give you 50,000.00." Of course not in her right mind she did this, that she did not know about this plus they put the wrong address on her house. Unreal. This really sickened me when I found out. She paid and paid and paid way over 100,000. Sold her estate. Stated that she owed a little over 22,000. They called for final payment and wanted 26000. Unreal. Had to give it to these low life, money hungry thieves. Never ever do any business with this company. They are predators. They should not allowed to be in business. Doesn't this company read ANY OF THE REVIEWS? There is a special place in hell for these type of people. And if you're just working for them for a job get out now. Don't associate yourselves with this company.

Before I could relinquish my house in Shoreline, Wa on ** to the new buyer and complete the title my payoff was 30,000. They would not let it go until I said 170,000. I was devastated. Windermere and the title company both have never heard of that. They talked with both of them. At the time I had missed two payments and needed to sell plus on just left my job on disability after 25 years with end stage liver disease, severe encephalopathy, kidney stones, one kidney needed removal. I could not communicate well and had to go along with whatever they said.

The original mortgage was 65,000 sold for 209,000 lost my shirt I believe I had 20,000. I had one short phone call with HFC and never talked again I am still very upset. I had a liver transplant a few years ago and this is the first time since then I felt like finding out if anyone could follow up on it. I know it was real old I would understand. I worked for Wa state public health laboratory for 25 years in Shoreline, Wa. After the transplant I have been hospitalized 34 times long recovery. Please let me know if you need anything else my ssa# is **, dol **, bs **. Thank you.

I made a loan with Household Finance in 2008 for $5000.00. At the time I bought the disability insurance in case I got sick. In 2009 I had a heart attack, open heart surgery. I was unable to return to work because of my heart. My physicians said I could never return to work. I filed for the disability insurance and the doctors gave all my health insurance information to the insurance company. I was place on their "so called" disability insurance. I noticed that my balance did not come down, and I even called one time and asked about it, but I was give no information.

Then, in January 2015, I was notified that I would not have the disability insurance after February 2015, because I was turn 70. I really do not remember anything about that, but I know that at this time, I owe almost 5000.00. If I had known that interest etc. would continue, and I would never get this debt paid, (please remember I paid a minimum of a year before I got sick), I would have not used the disability insurance. In the meantime, my husband has been placed in a nursing home, and my income is extremely limited, but they want me to start again making payments. It is either medicine and food or pay Springleaf aka Household Finance.

They are refusing to send to either me or to the IRS a revised 1099c that was incorrectly sent to us. The 1099c was finally sent to the correct person but I can not file my taxes because I can not get a corrected one. The IRS says by law they have to send it to me but they refused.

I received a notification of a loan transfer which was an actual sale of my modified loan. It was to Select Portfolio Servicing. They also dropped my home owners insurance that was to be included in the modification by Caliber. So now, more money coming out of my pocket on a minimum wage job. HOW can they do this after court proceedings and monthly on-time payments? Just so frustrating after battling a illness that could have very well killed me in 2009. I am still trying to get back on my feet, even after losing my job. I am trying to stay in my house. THANK YOU Household/Caliber for your harassment when I was sick to now. Hope you get this from Consumer Affairs. It's downright dirty on how I treated. What good did the lawyer I hired do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Household Finance?

They are without a doubt the worst mortgage company in our United States! My wife and I suffered 14 years with an outrageous APR of 10.5% and non-payment of property taxes and insurance. Their customer service is horrid. They pass the buck throughout their system. When you call them you are speaking to someone in India. They will do everything and anything to hinder you from refinancing your home with some other mortgage company. Finally after 14 years of torture we are free from these monsters! Never finance or borrow from Household Finance!

In 1998 we secured a second mortgage with Bank One. The bank filed the necessary paperwork with the county and then assigned our mortgage to Household Finance. We never received any assignment information from Household, only a month statement. We were told we could not pay it off or refinance the loan for two years. Already knowing how awful this company was, we counted the days. At the two year mark, we refinanced the loan with Fleet Mortgage who issued Household a check for the balance. We never heard from them again. While trying to refinance our home fifteen years later, we came across the original lien held by Bank One. It had never been released nor changed to Household.

I have spent 23 months trying to get a release from them and get a different story every three weeks when I call. I have spent hundreds of dollars faxing them copies of HUD papers showing they were paid, copies of the payoff check and other information requested. I have spoken to dozens of people who have made thousands of promises. I am finally getting a lawyer. I have lost thousands of dollars in interest paid to my mortgage company now because I could not refinance my loan at the lower rate due to Household Finance refusing to send this lien release. Still waiting...

We lost the battle in June paying both mortgages. My main bank worked with us and I received a loan modification. Hfc refused, and my calls and letters and faxes went unanswered. On Dec 19, 2014 I tried one last time to call and was put over to the escalation unit who informed me I was put in a special program and they are writing off the second mortgage and will no longer report to the credit bureau. I was in shock but asked the correct questions. It is now Feb 28th and I have still not received any paperwork backing this up, nor my 1098 and 1099 forms. Without either I cannot fax to their lien dept to get paperwork confirming they released the lien. I called back again and was told they are very busy... while hfc is courtly removed from my credit report, something is not right behind the scenes and I don't know who else to call. I cannot afford to hire an attorney.

Our account with HFC was closed 2/12/02 after being paid in full. We recently discovered while trying to obtain a new mortgage that HFC had never filed for a lien release of our property. I called several times and was told that the release had been filed with our county clerks office. I checked three times and nothing had ever been filed. I was even given the check number and date that they claimed to have sent it. This information was in turn given to the county clerk who did a thorough search and found nothing. I tried to call again today and the number I used before has been issued to a new business. Went to the web, looked up phone number for headquarters, it's been disconnected. Needless to say the time frame for our new mortgage has passed and I'm out the $450 I had to pay the title search company. I really don't know what to do next.

HFC is paid directly from my bank with a 5 day USPS mailing. The payment is mailed FROM MY BANK well within the time required for delivery, not to mention the grace period. It is NEVER posted until 6 days after the grace period has expired. I am paying them on time FROM MY BANK, and they are holding those payments to assess late fees and penalties which I SHOULD NOT OWE. Calls to them are useless. "Jessica" there told me they could NOT correct the error within 5 business days. I have advised them that I will take legal action if this is not resolved in my favor.

Paid off my loan in 2005. They merged with HSBC in 2004. I was served court papers with only the last four account numbers asking for this large amount 2012. I have been living in my home over 20 years. How come they could not send me any paperwork? Same address.

I just received a call from a collections for this company & was informed that I owe them $, and I never had a loan with this company.. I was extremely mad I have no information regarding the account number & they have a wrong address on me, and I explained to them that it wasn't me & they will see me in court.. the address they have on me is wrong.. I never lived there & also I haven't had a credit since 1986 & every time I call back because I'm a little angry & load they hang up on me not once but 3-4 times.. who ever is doing research needs to skip tracing a lot better & the guy made a threat comment about me driving & hire an attorney! Terrible collections. I don't even have a case number and they would not give me one.. They are very ugly people who just hang up & say you will be summons to court!

I took out a loan for $10,000.00 in 2003. I have made timely payments monthly of $195.00 for 11 years and the 10,000.00 amount never changed "once" (I did take a $800.00 loan out medical stuff) but since it's at 19.9 interest rate. Well since a new company has taken over my balance is dropping, same interest and monthly payment. So why is this?

For weeks I have been receiving calls from Household Finance Collections. They are calling my personal cell and the message says if you are not Karen ** please hang up. I am not Karen ** and do not know a Karen **. Then they call again. Today I stayed on the line and hit 0 for an operator. No answer. Called the number back, no answer. Third attempt, I reach a person and told him that they needed to take my personal number off their system as I am not Karen **. Why are these foreign collection companies able to repeatedly call people even if they have no account via a recording. All collections should be done by a person who can verify the number and who it is, so they can quit harassing calls to the wrong person.

In 1997 I was called many times by household finance because I was trying to refinance from bank of america. They talked my wife and I into coming to their office to see what they could do for me. I kept telling them that there was no way they could help me. They told us that because of what bank of america did to my credit. They scammed me into a 11.33% interest rate and told me that they would refinance me in a year for a lower rate. Thus when the time came, to refinance, they told me they were no longer doing loans. I have tried to get them to lower my interest rate and they won't. They say that they do not have to abide by the rules in the United States. I am a veteran and am about to lose my home that has been in my family since 1963. This is my home, not just a house. I even have a lawyer and his hands are tied. Is there anyone out there that can help? Please, these people must be stopped.

They gave out loans against your home and said your home was worth more than it was. Once you signed the loan papers, they changed your adjustable from a 30 year fixed to a adjustable. Then someone would call and tell you your loan would be $4000.00 a month. Then because they never sent a bill for that much

they didn't worry they would get caught. How come no one is doing anything about household finance in California. They are doing the same thing they did in every state. This is 2014 I lost my home after living there over 25 years and household got away with cheating me and others in California.

I have been, for several years, being told that my monthly payment is double the actual payment owed. The fact of the matter has always been this, I owed my regular payment as well as fees. When told what the amount due is, there is never a differentiation between the actual amount due and the fees. I have paid my monthly payments and recently been paying additional money directly to the fee amount. HFC won't process my payment directly to those fees. Instead, I have to chase down their financial people to have the money applied after the fact. They refuse to give me written confirmation that the additional money I pay them is going directly to those fees. If I pay toward a separate account called "fees" why do I have to chase this down? Why can't I get written confirmation of these fees being paid? They get my money and I have to make sure they do their job correctly??

Not quite sure about everything involved. Father told me they sent him a bill stating he had to pay 6000 dollars. He went to BCAP for assistance and when they called HFC, they said it was a mistake. He tried to restructure and they gave him two options, none of what he asked for, short sale or deed in lieu of foreclosure. They also said be restructured already when he didn't. Help, what is our next move?

I have been trying to get a refinance loan on my house that I bought for $85000 in 1985. In 1995, I took out a second mortgage for $40000. I used HFC for both. I always make my payments. Never late. I still owe $80000 total for both. So I decided to refinance to get a lower interest rate. A title search was done and I found that I have a foreclosure in '97 and they have not reported to the credit bureau that I have been making my payments since 2007. Mind you, payment is drawn from my account every month. So of course I was denied the refi loan. So I called them to find out what this is all about and they put me on hold for a 1/2 hour. Then they told me that they cannot talk to me about my account, because that I have a lawyer which I don't have.

Asked for the name of the lawyer and was told that they can't give me that information. Then was told that I need to fax a letter to them saying I don't have a lawyer signed by me. I asked to talk to a manager and I was put on hold for another 20 mins. Then was told the manager is not around probably assisting valued customers like myself. Which made me laugh to myself. They will not help, will not talk to me. I need to get out from under them. Or I may die trying to pay them off. It seem like they are doing everything in their power to keep me in their clutches.

Can someone explain to me why HFC does not have to comply with HARP rules. HSBC is the parent company of HFC and is a part of HSBC is a part of HARP. But if you loan is with HFC they will not help you. It seems as though they turned all home loans into something else just so they would not have to follow the rules (Loan Sharks). I have been with HFC since 2008. It was a bad loan and that was my mistake. I should have followed my heart and not signed the paperwork that day in the Bowie Maryland office.

Since then several members of my family loss jobs, moved in, loss cars, etc. But I managed to do the right thing, so I thought, by paying my modifications on time. Hoping that when the housing crisis made some changes, HFC would see that I was in good standing and want to help. But no. I paid my mortgage one time for 4 years straight. While other companies were lower interest rates and taken money off, HFC refused to help. The last increased interest rate modification is more than I can afford pay. Since then the car I was borrowing broke down. I was using a friend's vehicle that also broke, and the house needs major work.

I continue to search for a loan companies to help but being on a modification and now being behind for almost 6 months, chance of getting help is slim. I could have walked away from the house years ago and by now have a newer and larger house. HFC is predator, unethical, and scammers. Their tactics remind me of a drug dealer. People want to keep their homes so the dealer will give just enough help to string them along. They give you the impression that they are helping but they are not. I have written a letter to the board of directors, but frankly I do not expect them to help. I do not expect to get a reply at all. If I were to get a response from them all I want is my interest rate to between 3% - 4% permanently. When the rates lower, I had no issues paying. I want HFC/HSBC to be fair.

Household took a 70,000 home and made it worth 250.00. It went from a 30 year fixed mortgage to a adjustable loan without us knowing. Think Who would ever change a 30 fixed mortgage to adjustable one. Then the payments went up. It started at 900.00 to 1199 then 1899. Then in 2012 4,000. We tried to get them to work with us. Then we went to a short sale, they turned down everything, the last offer was 109,900. They turned it down in September 2013. I got the letter from HFC saying the offer was turned down, along with another letter from a different company saying our home was going to sold at an auction. So I called HFC and asked the lady why the short sale offer was turned down, she said it was too low. Then I told her about the other letter about my home being sold at auction, she said there was nothing in the computer about Foreclosure and "it will be ok and don't worry." I said ok.

Then in November the 15th I got a letter from a law firm stating I can fight the sale of my home that was sole at auction on November 5 2013. For 100.00 lower than the short sale offer. I had no idea that was coming. I just talked to Household last month. Did this company they sold my home to pay HFC the other 150,000? Why didn't they take the short sale offer, did they want me to have bad credit? Someone needs to stop these people for the underhanded things they are doing. The government needs to look around and see all these homes in foreclosure there must be a reason. We had home because it was the American dream and we had jobs, but all it was with HFC was a nightmare. If there is someone out there that can help me, please do. They took my home in a foreclosure I didn't even know about, that I asked about the month before. And why was the lawsuit the National Foreclosure settlement just until 2011 when it's still going on.

I had gotten a second mortgage with Household Finance several years ago. I was told if I paid off the loan early within 5 years I would be charged an 'early payoff fee.' My loan was sold to a company called Springleaf by Household. When I received my first statement from them I noticed a "accrued interest" amount ($494.49). I called Springleaf. They told me that it was a fee that Household Finance charged me because I paid my loan payments early and $10-$50 more each month than what my set payment amount was. I wrote a letter of complaint to Springleaf. They said that there was nothing that they could do about it. I contacted Household and they said that there was nothing that they could do about it because they no longer owned the loan.

I didn't PAYOFF my loan early with Household. I just paid a little extra each month and made 1 $5,000.00 extra payment when I had sold something. It is so unfair that I am being charged a fee because I paid my payments early and with a little extra. I would NEVER EVER do business with them again. I will tell everyone that I know to NEVER do business with Household Finance.

I called today to tell them I was trying to get on their website and it's been telling me for a week to try again. When I called the first time, I got a Customer Service person from another country that you couldn't understand and said I had to fax a letter so they could discuss my account. I have talked to them in May, June, July of this year and talked about payoffs. No one asked me for a letter so they can talk to me then. Oh and my account is more than current. I ask to talk to someone in the United States and they switch me to someone. They told me the same thing; ask to talk to a supervisor and she told me the same thing. They won't even send me a statement or my payoff without the letter and they won't tell me why until I send the letter. I would not recommend them to anyone. Now I know why they had to close all their offices. Only did they let money to people way over their credit line and they knew it but are totally not customer friendly at all; was on hold for 5 minutes, then again another 2. They get putting me on hold and I still didn't get what I need. Worthless and can't wait to pay them off. Ask to take to the supervisor and they gave me a Mary and ask to talk to someone that had some kind of authority to get me what I need and they couldn't.

I have been requesting a modification with Household Fin Realty Corp of NY (Member HSBC Group) regarding a mortgage loan that was obtained by deceptive practices in 2007 when I was shopping around to refinance a 30-day delinquent mortgage due to decreased overtime. I stated to the lender that I was only interested in a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac loan. This lender kept preying by calling, approved me for a mortgage of $2,666.63 and stated I am required to pay the Home Insurance and Property Taxes because they do not cover those expenses. This company never presented the entire picture of the loan, only verbally stated the mortgage payment. In addition, at closing, I was told no attorney required and this is standard simple refinancing. At closing this lender, push a paper to me assuring this was a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac loan, which they knew, was my standard to sign off on the loan that they claimed was mailed to me later (never received). After losing a second job when the economy was tumbling, I had financial difficulty paying my mortgage and that is when I realized the terms of this mortgage was not as stated.

In 2009, after learning about their deception, Household Fin Realty Corp of NY (Member HSBC Group) representative had me believe that with continued good payments on a temporary modification that it would turn permanent. Now, HSBC say they cannot verify past statements because the Mortgage sector HFC of the branch is no longer in existence. I am now working with Neighborhood groups to avoid my house in foreclosure, which is requesting a modification from Household Fin Realty Corp of NY (Member HSBC Group) that continues to decline the request stating not within guidelines. They said it was hard to figure a base income in which I provided them documentation with a person of contact to determine an affordable mortgage. My question is how I qualified in 2007 with Household Fin Realty Corp of NY (Member HSBC Group) when the Mortgage Industry had Rules, Regulations, Guidelines, and Banking Laws in place with a less amount of verifiable income than today. I am a devastated consumer fighting to keep my property with all the money I have paid out today. In addition, when I call to speak to the persons assigned to my account, either no one answers the phone or they hang up on me.

This company has taken the liberty to make transaction agreements on my account without my consent or informing me first of any changes to my loan. I do not know when they are increasing my balance or deferring interest to keep me locked into this loan. I still do not know what the deferred interest is, is it from the past modifications? I have called to speak to the individuals assigned to my account and they have not returned a call. I do not understand how the consumer agencies allow HSBC the freedom to entrap individuals or do whatever it is to consumers or their accounts, then they make guidelines to their benefit. I still need help with this fraud induced mortgage loan that I was entrapped to sign. I trusted that people are in an honest business. Otherwise they will be held accountable for their shams. This lender is not working with me in staying in my home. Again now they are using banking laws to protect their fraud interest.

I left HFC many years ago because of the way they mistreated their employees. I went to night law school and now practice consumer law in CA and AZ. All of the HFC offices were regulated by each state's Department of Consumer Finance Regulators; in CA it's the Dept of Corporations for example; HFC shut down all offices nationwide in 2008 I think it was. DEED IN LIEU process - lenders typically refuse these on property you want to get rid of but the bank won't foreclose; these are called zombie foreclosures and you can google the horror stories online.

Even a bankruptcy won't get rid of the house and the HOA ongoing dues, property taxes etc. www.zombieforeclosure.info is our informational site on zombie foreclosures. The other thing to keep in mind is bankruptcy - Chapter 13 spreads the payments out over 3 to 5 yrs, 0% interest on the unsecureds. Chapter 7 wipes out unsecured debts. Hopefully your state regulators can help with some of these problems described.

HFC has not posted any of my house payments since April of this year. They have some of my payments on HOLD and my last payment is missing. They are charging me interest and late fees. I call every month to get this straightened up. The company changed their software system in April. When they did this, it put my account on hold. I now have payments on hold AND payments missing. I have all the documentation that supports my payments have been made. I have faxed the documents to the company. I think I'm going to have to get an Attorney. In the meantime they are reporting this as bad credit.

Around March 1, 2013, I paid off my entire balance in full, and even received a refund of overpayment from them. My account was closed. On May 9, 2013, I ran my credit score on myFico.com and had a score of 785. Shortly after, I got preapproved for a new house and was required to put down a $6,000 non-refundable deposit.

On June 11, 2013, I checked my credit score again on myFico.com and noticed my score had dropped 70 points to 715. I reviewed my TU credit report and found that HFC had reported me as being 120 days late. I was outraged! I called HFC and asked them why they were reporting me as being 120 days late. They told me I should not be reported as being late, as I had NEVER been late AND I have had a 0 balance for 2 months. They said they would get the problem corrected. Immediately after speaking with HFC, I called TransUnion and filed a dispute.

On June 18, 2013, I called TU to check on the status of the dispute. They told me that HFC had agreed the 120-day late was erroneous and it had been removed. Later on June 18, 2013, I checked my credit score again on myFico.com and was extremely pissed off that my score did not return to 785. I called myFico and asked them why my score did not return to 784, as it only went to 736. They told me it was because a 30-day late payment from 2 years ago on a different account was now hurting my score, but on May 9, 2013 that same late payment wasn't hurting my score. So, just because invalid and inaccurate information had been added to my report and subsequently removed, I have a net loss of 49 points on my credit score.

When I close on my house on Sept. 3rd, the bank needs to run my credit once more since it will have been more than 90 days since preapproval. When they run my credit, my score will be lower which will cause me to pay a higher APR and higher PMI, which will cost me at least $100/month. For someone else's mistake, I will be paying $36,000+ extra for my house.

Oh and there's not a single freaking thing that I can do about it either. As a consumer, I do not have a "private right to act" (aka sue) for those damages. That's right. there's a law that the federal government has put into place that eliminates consumers' rights to sue companies for damages related to violations of the fair credit reporting act. So, I will be out thousands of dollars and the company (HFC) can just continue on making gobs of money and making extremely costly mistakes and screwing their customers and there's not a single thing that I can do about it. Nice.

We just received our pay off letter from HFC. The letter states our payoff is just under $12,000.00; our account online states we owe just under $10,000.00 and as far as we can figure, it is around $6,500.00. If this does not say get a lawyer now! We are waiting for all of our paper work from HFC even though we do have our paperwork. We want a complete breakdown from day 1 of this loan. We will then turn it over to a financial lawyer to do a complete audit. Even though we want to pay this loan off, I will continue to make payments up to $6500 and if need be will take them to court! Please, please everyone do not ever deal with this company. And just remember they were taken over by HSBC!

It is us again, Mike and Karen. I started to research this company since all we have been reading. This is the latest. We can see online that they are saying we owe close to $10,000 for a loan that should have been paid off this month. I have sent a certified letter to get all our information, when the loan was approved, how much we borrowed, what our interest rate was and when they say it would be paid off. In the meantime, I have gone through all our paperwork, and yes we are behind but what they are showing we owe and what we are saying we owe is close to a difference of $3,000. Right now, we are $4,600 behind and are planning on paying it off in full. The problem is what is the balance?

So I called them today and have been keeping them updated on a daily basis but today I spoke with someone whom I have never dealt with before and he said if we would commit today to paying what we owe them to catch up on the phone, that would be fine. He even said he would postdate it for a week and if the money doesn't get to our bank, I could call and he wouldn't put it through, yeah right! The person I normally have dealt with said we cannot make any payments on the phone. It has to be certified check sent NDA. The person I spoke with the information we are requesting could take weeks or even months to get. Really, are you kidding me?

Our decision is that we will pay what we owe to keep us current and what for the info. Then, if we have to get a lawyer with the amount over and above they say we owe, we will. We will hire a lawyer to audit our account. How can they get away with this? Why hasn't the BBB stepped in or another government agency? Do they not know that HFC was taken over by the HSBC group? Doesn't anyone remember the Wall Street mess? We are only one customer but we will not be taken advantage of by big business!

We finally got our letter of denial for loan modification. So I told them we are going to pay it off. Yes, we are over 3 months behind but we have been sending something every month, not the full amount but something and they have been accepting it. We now have to jump through hoops to get what our balance is. They will not give it to us over the phone, even though we can see online what out are payoff is. We have to fax them a request, wait for a response, get a certified check and send it overnight. We have been getting loans from this company on and off for over 30 years and this is how we are getting treated. I would tell everyone to stay away from this company. It's like dealing with loan sharks!

Household Finance Company Profile