2. Mortgages

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.13/5

Household Finance Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

HFC is paid directly from my bank with a 5 day USPS mailing. The payment is mailed FROM MY BANK well within the time required for delivery, not to mention the grace period. It is NEVER posted until 6 days after the grace period has expired. I am paying them on time FROM MY BANK, and they are holding those payments to assess late fees and penalties which I SHOULD NOT OWE. Calls to them are useless. "Jessica" there told me they could NOT correct the error within 5 business days. I have advised them that I will take legal action if this is not resolved in my favor.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

Paid off my loan in 2005. They merged with HSBC in 2004. I was served court papers with only the last four account numbers asking for this large amount 2012. I have been living in my home over 20 years. How come they could not send me any paperwork? Same address.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2014

I just received a call from a collections for this company & was informed that I owe them $, and I never had a loan with this company.. I was extremely mad I have no information regarding the account number & they have a wrong address on me, and I explained to them that it wasn't me & they will see me in court.. the address they have on me is wrong.. I never lived there & also I haven't had a credit since 1986 & every time I call back because I'm a little angry & load they hang up on me not once but 3-4 times.. who ever is doing research needs to skip tracing a lot better & the guy made a threat comment about me driving & hire an attorney! Terrible collections. I don't even have a case number and they would not give me one.. They are very ugly people who just hang up & say you will be summons to court!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I took out a loan for $10,000.00 in 2003. I have made timely payments monthly of $195.00 for 11 years and the 10,000.00 amount never changed "once" (I did take a $800.00 loan out medical stuff) but since it's at 19.9 interest rate. Well since a new company has taken over my balance is dropping, same interest and monthly payment. So why is this?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

For weeks I have been receiving calls from Household Finance Collections. They are calling my personal cell and the message says if you are not Karen ** please hang up. I am not Karen ** and do not know a Karen **. Then they call again. Today I stayed on the line and hit 0 for an operator. No answer. Called the number back, no answer. Third attempt, I reach a person and told him that they needed to take my personal number off their system as I am not Karen **. Why are these foreign collection companies able to repeatedly call people even if they have no account via a recording. All collections should be done by a person who can verify the number and who it is, so they can quit harassing calls to the wrong person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Household Finance?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

In 1997 I was called many times by household finance because I was trying to refinance from bank of america. They talked my wife and I into coming to their office to see what they could do for me. I kept telling them that there was no way they could help me. They told us that because of what bank of america did to my credit. They scammed me into a 11.33% interest rate and told me that they would refinance me in a year for a lower rate. Thus when the time came, to refinance, they told me they were no longer doing loans. I have tried to get them to lower my interest rate and they won't. They say that they do not have to abide by the rules in the United States. I am a veteran and am about to lose my home that has been in my family since 1963. This is my home, not just a house. I even have a lawyer and his hands are tied. Is there anyone out there that can help? Please, these people must be stopped.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2014

They gave out loans against your home and said your home was worth more than it was. Once you signed the loan papers, they changed your adjustable from a 30 year fixed to a adjustable. Then someone would call and tell you your loan would be $4000.00 a month. Then because they never sent a bill for that much

they didn't worry they would get caught. How come no one is doing anything about household finance in California. They are doing the same thing they did in every state. This is 2014 I lost my home after living there over 25 years and household got away with cheating me and others in California.

Original review: July 24, 2014

I have been, for several years, being told that my monthly payment is double the actual payment owed. The fact of the matter has always been this, I owed my regular payment as well as fees. When told what the amount due is, there is never a differentiation between the actual amount due and the fees. I have paid my monthly payments and recently been paying additional money directly to the fee amount. HFC won't process my payment directly to those fees. Instead, I have to chase down their financial people to have the money applied after the fact. They refuse to give me written confirmation that the additional money I pay them is going directly to those fees. If I pay toward a separate account called "fees" why do I have to chase this down? Why can't I get written confirmation of these fees being paid? They get my money and I have to make sure they do their job correctly??

Original review: May 19, 2014

Not quite sure about everything involved. Father told me they sent him a bill stating he had to pay 6000 dollars. He went to BCAP for assistance and when they called HFC, they said it was a mistake. He tried to restructure and they gave him two options, none of what he asked for, short sale or deed in lieu of foreclosure. They also said be restructured already when he didn't. Help, what is our next move?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2014

I have been trying to get a refinance loan on my house that I bought for $85000 in 1985. In 1995, I took out a second mortgage for $40000. I used HFC for both. I always make my payments. Never late. I still owe $80000 total for both. So I decided to refinance to get a lower interest rate. A title search was done and I found that I have a foreclosure in '97 and they have not reported to the credit bureau that I have been making my payments since 2007. Mind you, payment is drawn from my account every month. So of course I was denied the refi loan. So I called them to find out what this is all about and they put me on hold for a 1/2 hour. Then they told me that they cannot talk to me about my account, because that I have a lawyer which I don't have.

Asked for the name of the lawyer and was told that they can't give me that information. Then was told that I need to fax a letter to them saying I don't have a lawyer signed by me. I asked to talk to a manager and I was put on hold for another 20 mins. Then was told the manager is not around probably assisting valued customers like myself. Which made me laugh to myself. They will not help, will not talk to me. I need to get out from under them. Or I may die trying to pay them off. It seem like they are doing everything in their power to keep me in their clutches.

Household Finance Company Information