1.13/5
Based on 56 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a mortgage lender?

140 Household Finance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 4, 2013

We finally got our letter of denial for loan modification. So I told them we are going to pay it off. Yes, we are over 3 months behind but we have been sending something every month, not the full amount but something and they have been accepting it. We now have to jump through hoops to get what our balance is. They will not give it to us over the phone, even though we can see online what out are payoff is. We have to fax them a request, wait for a response, get a certified check and send it overnight. We have been getting loans from this company on and off for over 30 years and this is how we are getting treated. I would tell everyone to stay away from this company. It's like dealing with loan sharks!

Original review: May 23, 2013

We take responsibility for getting behind in our payment. We are trying to get a loan modification. We applied over 6 weeks and were told it would take 30 to 60 days. In the meantime, we have been giving what we can and they have accepted it. We just received a letter stating we are in pre-foreclosure (we have no idea what that means). I have tried for 4 straight days to contact the person who was stated in the letter to be our representative. I have called and left messages 4 days in a row with no luck. Since we don't owe a great deal, I left a message with the possibility we might pay it off. Still there was no response. And since we don't owe a great deal, my concern is they have started foreclosure.

We have lived in this house over 30 yrs and I think they think with the amount we owe, they are going to get a deal. Little do they know with what we know and the repairs that need to be done, it will be not worth it; they will never get a decent price. A new roof, $8000, the upstairs had to be gutted because of the leak in the roof. Now there is mold - at least $15000 on those repairs. If we get to keep house, we can do the work ourselves for a lot cheaper. If they look in our neighborhood, just on my street alone 6 houses stand empty due to foreclosures. The neighborhood is in a very nice area but houses are not selling!

Original review: April 12, 2013

We refinanced with HFC about 10-12 years ago. Biggest mistake of our lives! We have been allowed hardships three times, refused loan modifications to lower our interest rates, lied to, as we were paying a 8.675% interest before we went to them and we were told we'd be paying a 7.25% with the new loan for the house and credit cards and allotted a second loan which was not to be a second mortgage. Come to find out it was/is and our interest rate is 10.96%. Wow! We have been paying for a long time and our amount owed is more than we originally financed still! We knew they are a shafty company and there's no way out of this except to sell the house and still owe money, let them have it back and be screwed on our credit as a bad borrower or just keep paying and get nowhere ever!

We've received letters stating settlements we will be getting due to HFC's bad business ethics and have even received one years ago which also said if we ever ended up in foreclosure, we could sue HFC, like we have any money since we have such high mortgage payments of $1,176 a month for a little $105,000 home loan. After more than 10 years, you would think we wouldn't owe more than that, but we still do. I have called to see what was up as we missed payments last Oct-Jan and it's funny they said no payment was due until March 2013 and that we were not behind. I made that payment online then made my next payment today and they show we don't owe one until August 2013. Now, what the heck are they doing to the people that have trusted them? Oh, they are automatically putting payments on the deferred interest and making you think that you don't owe a payment then they are tacking on all sorts of fees and money just because they can.

If we had money, we would have a lawyer and would get the heck out from under this mistake; otherwise, it's looking like we can only forget paying them and start stashing the money so we can afford a rental place big enough for a family of six. We tried HUD. We have tried several other places that cannot help us because we either make too much money or because we have another piece of empty property we also cannot get rid of, have too expensive cars, etc. We have junkers that I repair myself. Really, this HFC has ruined so many lives and I say we all stop paying them the monthly payments and let them reap what they have sown! It will hurt us for a bit credit-wise but that's something we can fix later with time. They are ruining our credits just by staying with them.

We found out about the higher interest rate when we had a lawyer look at our papers so we could maybe act to maintain our home we love. It was a shock and we are still suffering the fun consequences of struggling and never getting anywhere on this loan. We faxed papers several times each time we asked for help on the day we were due for Sheriff's sale in Jan 2011. HFC didn't want to help us until we brought in a third party company and then they started calling. I just kept telling them go talk to our lawyer and gave them the numbers. We are still in the home and still paying knowing we will never be in good shape as long as we are under HFC. If you get a credit card offer from them or loan offers, burn them and run as fast as you can away! Get your address off their subscriber's list as they are bad news!

Original review: March 12, 2013

I borrowed $7500.00 from HFC in 2008. By April of 2009, I settled on the account, because even though I paid them almost $9000.00 within a year because of the high interest and fees, the account was "settled and paid for less than full amount," which is ok. However, they out of the blue reported "derogatory payment" in January of this year, which caused my credit score to drop at least 50 points. Now, I will not be approved for a house loan that I already gave a deposit. I have called them so many times so that someone can correct the information, and they refuse to do anything. They tell me to take it up with the credit bureaus directly. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this corrupt company.

Original review: March 7, 2013

HFC might just be the worst financial institution I have ever conducted business with. Run, don't walk away from any kind of business with this company. They provide horrible customer service. They don't return your calls, and they are pretty much robbing me blind on my mortgage. I have been trying to work it out with them, but they won't modify my mortgage because I cannot prove payments from unemployment that I never said I receive; and that I have shown them proof of not being able to receive due to a severance payment. I really think that there is not a business that I have ever been associated with that is this incompetent and devious. Do not do business with HFC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Household Finance?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2013

My husband and I received a phone call from an agent of HFC a few years ago. We thought okay, we can refinance our mortgage and use some of the money to do some repairs around the house and also help our son purchase a vehicle which, of course, he would have to pay back. Anyhow, my husband became disabled, so now his money was on a fixed income and we, by now, had gotten back on our payments. I called to see what HFC could do for me. I was told I could file for a loan modification, so I did.

It was pretty good. My interest rate went down for 6 months to 4.5%. It helped me make my mortgage payments and we got caught up. At the end of the 6 months, the interest rate went back up to 10.5%. Again, I called to see if I could get another loan modification. No problem. I got a 12-month modification loan. This time though, the interest rate ended up being 6%. Oh well, it was better than 10.5%. I continued to make my payments on time. After those 12 months ran out, we were back to square one again with a mortgage payment of $1500. There was no way I could pay this. Also, this did not include my taxes.

When we took out the original loan, we were told that we would be responsible to pay our taxes separately to our township. So, it was to agree to that or no loan. So like dummies, we agreed. We seemed okay and paid our taxes. Anyhow, now that the 12 months had run out, I again called HFC to see if they could continue to help us out. No problem. Well it was a huge problem for us. I received paperwork in the mail 3 months later where my monthly payments would be $1664.00 a month and this time they escrowed our account. Our taxes were now included (I was also told not to make any mortgage payments during the approval time).

They told me that if I did not agree to this, I would have to pay the mortgage payments (that went back 3 months that they originally told me not to pay while waiting for approval); it would need to be paid within a month. Fat chance on that happening. So, I signed the papers with stupidity. I should never have done it. I can't keep up with this payment. I am now 85 days behind on my mortgage. I pay every month but by the skin of my teeth. I even went so far as sending a letter to President Obama about this company.

Yesterday, in the mail, I received a letter back from the White House telling me that they have forwarded my letter to the appropriate agency for further review. I hope it gets into the right hands and we can get some help here. Also, to add, HFC continuously told me to go to HUD - I did that also. HUD told me to sell my car and get a cheaper one. You can't do that when you owe more on the car then what it is worth. HUD also told me to sell my home. I tried that too. It sat on the market for years. It didn't matter what we tried to do; we just can't seem to get out from under all this debt.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2013

Almost 14 years ago we had to file chapter 7 because my husband got hurt at work. We thought pay from the disability insurance would help. They told us we did not have that kind of insurance. Well I knew we had it, but at the time, we could not find my paperwork. Last year, I was going through papers and found my paperwork. So I called the number on the paper and they filed the forms for me. I had to send them letters, doctor's report and copies of my husband's SSI paper. 3 or 4 months later, they sent me a paper out that said that they had settled out with us and paid themselves. I called them and they said that we hold that to them.

My understanding is if they would have helped us before we filed chapter 7, we could have saved our home. I just need someone to listen to me and help me get back what is mine and my husband's. Everybody keeps saying it takes a lot of money to fight these people. I paid $500.00 to Loveland Law Office, but she said I needed bigger lawyers to help with this. So if someone would please help me. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

My parents are behind in their mortgage but located an agency willing to provide monetary assistance. The information was faxed to HFC on two separate occasions explaining the urgency to complete the necessary paperwork. HFC took their time and never forwarded the necessary paperwork to receive payment for outstanding mortgage payment. This company are truly con artists who prey on the weak and the most vulnerable. They do not appear competent to negotiate during economic hardships and appear to benefit when families are faced with foreclosures or short sales. HFC would not take into consideration my parent's lack of income due to unforeseen circumstances which I thought was unlawful. My parent currently pays a high interest rate for the mortgage and HFC is not willing to lower the rate but risk my parent of losing her home. HFC is underhanded, sneaky and does not have the best interests of their clients in mind. They're only concerned with their own welfare.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2013

My husband and I took out a loan with HFC over 20 years ago. We have always paid on time with this loan. We borrowed from them because we had a lot of credit card debt and we had two daughters who were entering colleges back in 1988. My husband was injured on his job and became disabled so the insurance with HFC paid the bill for several years. We then received a letter saying that the insurance had maxed out, so we began paying the bill. This has been going on for approximately 25 years. We had borrowed $20,000 to my knowledge (can't find the original loan papers) and we still owe a balance of $10,000. When I call them about lowering the APR, they never return any of my calls or answer any of my letters. This company has really been a terrible nightmare for us. My husband and I are both getting up in age and would like to get this bill paid off. The more I pay them, the balance never goes down. As of today, we are still paying them $125 per month and still owe a balance of $10,084.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2013

I called HFC in India I believe because a payment was set up in error and it needed to be stopped. The very rude customer service agent just said nothing can be done and hung up, would not even listen. Do not do business with this company; they are complete garbage.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2012

Reading all these articles about how HFC just ruined all the lives of these people compelled me to write my own personal experience with HFC. My wife and I bought a home 10 years ago. We had a great mortgage company working with us and everything was good. Well, a new home makes you want to do repairs and upgrades as much as possible. My wife and I both had steady jobs so we started talking about loans. HFC just popped up in town during this time so we paid them a visit.

Sure enough, after talking, we switched over our mortgage to them and also had another loan on the side after I lost my job. I swear, the day we entered that building was the day our lives changed for the worse. We became house poor overnight and all our payments to them monthly weren't even making a dent. But we stuck it out with them for 10 years but keeping up with the payment put us behind in land taxes. A couple of months ago, we started getting behind on payments and we were pretty deep in the hole on taxes by now, so we called to ask if they could put the balance on the back end of our loan. The agent said it wouldn't be a problem and he would contact us in a couple of days after we sent them a bunch of information.

A couple of days went by and no one called, so we called back. This time it was a different agent we talked to and explained what was going on. This agent told us that we could not get the balance put on the back end of our loan so we were totally confused. Next the phone calls began with people that must read off scripts and are just lifeless, "Can you make a payment today of the past due amount?" I said no and I told them I needed help. A pause and, "Can you make a payment today of the past due amount," and that's when you are red in the face and probably yell some sort of profanity at them and hang up. My wife and I talked to a total of 10 different agents in a month and every time it was always a different answer. Finally they sent it to an expert in their company so we were thinking okay, maybe something would get done finally.

We would call her and always it went to voice mail and she would never call back and she usually took about 5 days to respond. After the phone tag, we finally talked and we told her what was going on and she requested the same information we sent out already numerous times. We had 2 loans but every time they reviewed, they looked at the small loan and not the mortgage even though we wrote the number down and told them repeatedly what loan to look at. A couple of weeks went by and the expert sent us a letter saying they could not help us because we make too much money. Remember, I went almost 2 years without work so we managed to dig a pretty big hole with them. We couldn't catch up but we fought and fought and stayed afloat somehow.

As of today, I pay $1,300 a month for a home that is valued at around $110,000 and we are just throwing money away on interest for the back taxes. My wife and I sat down a couple of days ago and said, "That's it, we are done." I am handing the house over to them and we are moving on. A deed in lieu is what we are doing or other term "keys for cash". When we called HFC to tell them about this, the tone totally changed and then they started acting like they cared saying, "we can still help you." BS!

Now HFC is trying to get us to move before they do a title search and inspection of the home. Also they are telling us they will not come after us for the remaining balance. Word to the wise, get this in writing and do not go anywhere until everything is done. HFC also stated that they will give you money to relocate if you "qualify". So if this is a path you must take, keep the house in good shape; do not trash it and do not strip it down. The day my wife and I stepped foot into the HFC office was by far the worst day of my life, looking back. By the way, HFC can't even give loans out anymore due to their practices. Good luck to everyone who has had their lives ruined by the greed of this company.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2012

My husband and I received a phone call in 1994 from our local Household Finance Co. The manager was so nice and she convinced me to tell my husband about how much we could save if we came into the office and spoke with her. Big mistake! We went and everything sounded so good and the refinance process went so smooth. Then after a year of that, we started having problems with our home needing some repairs that had to be done in order to live in it. And of course, HFC was there to help us! Added some more debt to our loan which then brought our payments up a little higher, but repairs were done.

After a few more years went by, we started getting statements with different amounts due. When I called to see why the changes they would say things like "taxes went up" or "insurance went up". Well, we don't even have our taxes included in our payments because we were told by HFC, that they don't do escrow accounts. So why would the payment go up I asked. This has gone on for a few years now. We finally got them to approve us for a temporary hardship due to my husband’s health problems. After 6 months of making each payment on time, we then had to apply for a permanent hardship. What a mess to go through! I had to keep faxing papers and info that they requested over and over; finally, got approved for the permanent hardship. The total payment was supposed to be $906.77 per month. Well, statement for May 2012 showed $1,304.77 due.

I called to ask why it went up so high if we are on a permanent hardship. I was told "We don't do permanent hardships". And we have a paper that was sent to us when we were approved for the permanent hardship and the amount of the payment $906.77 per month. I went ahead and paid for 4 months $1,304.77, starting May 2012 - August 2012. This should have gotten any past amounts due, paid up with extra left over. But not with HFC, they will keep playing games with you and try to ruin your life if they can. They won't accept a payment from us now unless it's $1,172.77. Why this amount? They can't say why. And we have to pay it no later than Nov. 14th or we will need to plan on either a short sale or deed in lieu, whatever that is. I asked the rep if we could pay on November 21st and she said no. If we go ahead and pay this amount on the date she says, then we will get a statement next month showing we didn't pay the correct amount or they will say the payment was late.

We are trying to refinance with a different company but with HFC showing on our credit reports that we are delinquent, we will not get a refinance easy or if we do, it will probably be at a high interest rate. So we are in a mess thanks to HFC, for calling me one evening, lying to me and making me really think we could trust them. If anyone even thinks of getting any kind of loan with this company, be prepared to go through the worst time of your life! HFC is no good! We are thinking about getting a lawyer to help us out. That will cost money but we need to get some help, and soon.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2012

In August of 2006, I received an offer through the mail from Beneficial as a "pre-selected loan advance" for $4,000.00. I had been considering starting a small business for some time before this arrived in the mail, but didn't have the money. This sounded like an answer to my prayer! So after a few days of mulling it about, I decided to call them up and get the loan. I had the funds wired directly into my checking account a few days later. They did say there was an annual fee of $50.00, which I accepted. The interest rate was much higher than I thought it should be (25 percent). My credit was very good at that time and none of my other credit cards were anywhere near that high, so I was a little put out by that issue.

The first payment in October and all the rest to follow was for $100.00. Minimum payment required was between $97 and $99. This loan was marketed as "personal credit line account.” I had paid every month on time for 4 years and the principle balance hardly budged (maybe $100.00!). I called several times and asked about this and all they would say is to pay more every month. So, they were not applying any of my payments toward the principle. Being that HSF is more of a mortgage lender, I think they set this up more of a home-equity loan.

Two years ago, I was forced to move out of my affordable rental due to my landlord selling the house. Now, with higher rent and having to pay for utilities too, I'm now paying close to $300.00 more just to have a roof over my head. So, within a few months of moving here, I had to stop making the monthly payment to HFC. I figured they won't lower the interest rate and/or apply more of my payment to the balance - I'd be paying on this for years for only a $5000 loan!

So, of course, I got the letters and notices for being behind on payments, but I couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't like I didn't have any other bills to pay (that’s at least part of the payment brought down the principle!), so I was getting somewhere with those payments. A few days ago, I got a letter from Daniel Gordon P.C. from Eugene, OR stating they are considering a lawsuit against me. I am considering going through "pre-paid legal" to see if they can help with this issue.

Original review: July 10, 2012

We took out a mortgage several years ago with HFC. We were doing fine until I became unemployed and my wife had multiple doctor/hospital bills. We also had 4 kids to feed. We worked with HFC after our interest rate went sky high to almost 10% while the rest of the country was getting mortgages from 3-5% per the president. We worked with HFC, but got nowhere. We contacted NCAA and proceeded to work with them for help for over 6 months! Still, we got nowhere with HFC. We currently are getting a modification, finally. But it is a joke. Most of the time, money goes to interest and not principal. Our mortgage just gets higher and higher, and we are slowing sinking. Is there some class action lawsuit going on that consumers can partake in to investigate this company without costing money? I know what they are doing is incorrect because you never get the same answer twice nor do you see in the paperwork they send you.

Original review: July 5, 2012

My husband had lost his job, and was unemployed for 2 years and we fell behind on our mortgage. We have been faithful in our payments up until that point. We have lived in our home for 12 years and have no place to go if we get foreclosed on. We are currently behind almost 18 months and our mortgage company will not work with us. My husband is back to work, but only making half of the income he used to. I work part time and suffer severe migraines everyday, amongst other health issues due to an auto accident a few years back.

We had asked HSBC Mortgage Services located in Brandon, FL, to lower the interest and payments and to add the delinquency to the life of the term. They said they couldn't do that. They offer these programs, but who qualifies? I see tons of complaints saying the same thing. The last certified letter said we have until July 9th to pay the delinquency in full or they will proceed.

We are both looking for other jobs so we can get caught up, but it's not easy. We have tried other programs and do not qualify. We have exhausted all avenues and hope you are able to help us. We are good people and had a rough patch. We need a break and we are pleading for your help so we can get back on the road to recovery. I am praying very hard that we can resolve this in a timely manner, before we lose our home. I appreciate your time and I hope to hear from you soon, Have a blessed day.

Original review: June 3, 2012

Mortgage and equity loan with HFC at 7.5% and 10% respectively. I had some difficulties with timely payments. I have much better record for the past 2 years. I pay more than asked. Month of May, I paid $2,000.00, only $183.96 was applied to principal. Something is very wrong here! This is a condex with value less than or equal to balances. The website offers rate reduction. I called and was told "we don't do that anymore". No refinancing either. Loans are not Freddie or Fannie backed. What kind of business practices is this company engaging in? I want to sue them for misrepresentation of services, possible fraud.

Original review: April 17, 2012

My mortgage is with HFC Beneficial. I have made all payments on time for the past 24 months. Today, I got a notice saying, “Your balance does not include accumulated unpaid interest of $1,547.31. This amount has not been transferred to deferred interest.” How did this occur? I agree with all the folks on this site that say you will never pay this loan off and you will owe more than you originally borrowed. You will have this loan until you die.

Original review: March 4, 2012

I used this company to back a mortgage with promises that after the first year, without missing any payments or being late, you would qualify for refinancing automatically with lower interest rates. Being that my credit score was better than it was before at that point than when I originally got the house, I figured it should be no problem. Not to mention, I had not missed a payment nor was I ever late. My husband's work had started to slow down, which I had explained to the office upon processing the paperwork initially. The fact that he did piece work where his pay check would change from week to week was going to be an issue. With that said, I asked that they use an average, which to me would make sense.

Long story short, I called the very week we made our year anniversary to get the ball rolling. They told me what documents I needed and I took them out to the office. While I was there, I told the guy who processed the original paperwork about the fact that my husband's work was slowing down and this was a good time to do the refinancing. They took the paperwork and I waited for 10 or 12 days or so. Nothing. I called and even went back out there. Nothing. Finally, I called the regional office and asked about the manager who never wanted to return my calls. He gave some sorry excuse about everyone being in meetings. I went back to the office to be told she was not there again, only to see her walk out of the office just before I left. Then I tried to process things through the corporate, you know, the 800 numbers. Every time I called, they rerouted my call back to the office that originally ignored me in the first place.

So at this point, I have turned in the paperwork twice, faxed it once and made 15 or so calls, drove out about 15 miles 3 times and no one has done anything with my request. Finally, I got a letter back saying I don't qualify for all types of programs because I'm trying to save my home and I'm putting in for anything they have to offer. Keep in mind, these are programs they have and are suggesting. I did manage to get through a few times and got my point across that I would have to leave the house because I could no longer afford it. I signed up for every program they had. Once, they actually called and said "you really got to sign up for this program, can't see any reason for you not to get this one". Flop. Nothing. Another letter. I ended up trying to sell it. I tried to rent it, nothing. I ended up leaving it in excellent condition. No refinance, no long term hardship, no lower interest rates, no nothing.

So guess what? I lost my home to a short sell/foreclosure. After begging them to lower the payments, telling them my husband's work was less, my son had gotten sick, They didn't care. What happened to the programs they said they would back up? Who does this ? Why are they allowed to do this to people? I did everything I was supposed to do and then some. We had to leave the house and we eventually filed for bankruptcy. This was a huge mess and no company should be allowed to do this to people. Oh yeah, can't imagine what figures were put on the underwriter's paperwork for this loan to get approved to include all credit cards. You see, this was never the original deal. We were only approved for the home itself. Go figure.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2012

Household Finance Corporation II sued me and had Duggins Law Firm in New Orleans, LA garnish my wages for 2 years beginning January 2009 until February 7, 2012. I was scheduled to appear in court before the garnishment, and I was sitting outside the courtroom and didn't know my name was called. This was my first time and I thought you had to wait until they come get you to go in. I finally went in to see what was going on and it was too late. The judge told me to contact the law firm. I did, but they would not work with me at that time because they already had the okay to proceed with the garnishment. I have been dealing with a sick husband, and I request that they remove some of the interest but they refused. They garnished over 17,000 from my paycheck. They took $354.75 twice a month for 2 years and 1 month. I am so far behind with everything now. I still would like to get back some of the interest and fees I paid.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

I have been trying to lower my mortgage rate with HFC from a 9.7% to something more current and have been refused each time. I have even tried a loan modification and was also refused by HFC. I cannot refinance because I owe more than the property value. I am current with my mortgage and have never been late. But HFC will not allow me a lower rate.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2012

Foreclosed on my home illegally. Gave me 6 days to to get out, according to lawyer. Predatory lenders. Lost my home to foreclosure.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2012

My husband and I sold our property over 5 years ago. Our mortgage was paid off entirely at settlement time. Now after all this time, I got a letter dated 10/4/11 that states we were underpaid. Problem #1: I have tried calling for 3 months to get the money. Still, I received no money and get a different excuse every time I call. Problem # 2: After calling for 3 months, they now say they will charge me interest of half owed to me (I reminded them I was not to be charged interest. They owed me. I did not owe them. If anything, they owed me interest. They kept my money over 5 years, and still have it).

Original review: Dec. 22, 2011

This takes the cake. I have had so many problems with this company over the past few years. Again we fell behind because our interest rate is awful and every once in a while I have to pay my other bills. I did have my phone shut off because I was sick of hearing from them. She tells me not to pay any of my other bills, and she included my life saving medication in that. Then she demanded that I give her a phone number. I was like, listen lady, you told me to stop paying my other bills and I did so I have no dang phone number to give you. She wouldn't give up so I gave her the phone number of the pay phone on the corner. I am in shock that this woman told me that I don't need my medicine. There has to be something illegal about that.

If you get a letter from HFC telling you that you qualify for a modification, it's a lie. They only send that letter to get you to call them.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2011

Since September, we have been trying to get a loan modification. I sent in the information requested, only to learn 3 weeks later that I did not send in the correct information. This began a chain of events which has led me to send in the same information at least 3 times over the last 3 1/2 months. The mortgage representative from the company assures me each time I call that my file is complete, yet I am getting letters indicating that the information is not complete. I am told by the rep to ignore those letters.

Despite her counsel, I continue to comply with all the requests for duplicate information. It appears that there is no communication within the company. I have been told that the request is "in process" for over 14 weeks. I am being dunned for late mortgage payments even though I started this process over 3 months ago in the hope of avoiding late payments. I feel like I am being "stonewalled" in my attempts to learn the status of my loan modification request. My last letter from HFC dated December 6 indicated that if the missing information was not received by December 21, my application for loan modification would be cancelled.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2011

This is my worst experience ever. When we needed help in lowering our payments, they refused to respond and then applied our payments to someone else.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2011

We are in the process of purchasing a bank owned home. Household Finance is the bank that owns it. We signed papers a week ago and they have $30k of our money as a deposit. We still do not have keys to the house. We are waiting for the Appointment of Successor Trustee that has been sent twice to HFC. The escrow company can release the documents to closing until this form is received. I should be making interest on the money they have from me!

Original review: April 28, 2011

I checked my credit report and found that I was the victim of identity theft. I contacted Household Finance regarding a loan that had been taken out with the company in my name without my knowledge. After more than an hour of being placed on hold and being hung up on by customer service reps (It happened twice.), being transferred around to different reps (more times than I can recall), and being told contradicting statements of how to progress, I finally ended up with a manager who was very courteous and really tried to help me figure things out.

But I was told he really couldn't do much, because somehow, I'd managed to be transferred to the wrong department. Nonetheless, he listened and transferred me to another customer service rep who was not so helpful. She told me that my debt had been sold to a collection agency, gave me the wrong number for the collection agency, and curtly hung up.

Altogether, this entire ordeal lasted almost 2 hours and resulted in no answers. The unprofessionalism, curt responses and obvious disbelief of my situation, mixed messaging, and general disinterest in providing any sort of customer service was incredible.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2010

At the beginning of December 2010, I was offered a credit card from HSBC, through the mail. The limit was only $300, and I read the entire policy that was mailed to me with the offer. When I received the card, I discovered there was an annual fee of $74.00, which HSBC deducted automatically. I paid that amount within a couple of days of having the card. On December 23, 2010, my current amount owing was $283.00, which I paid in full. I am presently on vacation, out of the country, and I discovered today, December 30, 2010, that HSBC had not credited my account. I called HSBC this evening, through the number provided, to ask why it is taking so long.

I went through two customer service reps, and then I asked to speak to a supervisor. The Supervisors name I spoke with was Emmanuel. He gave me three different stories. The first was my bank has not forwarded the money to pay for the bill (my bank did forward the money on December 24, 2010). The second was, I had not established a history with HSBC. The third was they had received my payment, but it is up to the discretion of HSBC as to whether they will credit my account back to the $300 limit, and that it would take 14 days. 14 days!

First, I have had the card for less than a month. I paid the annual fee of $74.00, to which they received more money from me, than the worth of the card. HSBC would not give me a definitive answer, as to why they hold a consumer's payment for 14 days. I told him the card is useless for anyone, especially at a $300 limit. My conclusion, a consumer uses the card, spends $300, makes a payment, and then has to wait two weeks before they can use it again. I want my $74.00 annual fee back from HSBC.

They are scamming consumers into signing an agreement with them, but not stating anywhere about a $74.00 annual fee, or that when a consumer makes a payment it will take 14 days to process. I told Emmanuel to cancel the card, as it is useless, and that I will be writing to you, the BBB, and the congress to inform as many consumers as possible, that HSBC is a scam. I am asking for your assistance to look into this credit card company for me.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2010

In 2005, my husband walked out on me (for another woman in the family) and left me with bills and no income. He asked me to refinance our house as part of his by out. He wanted me to use HFC. As I was in shock, undergoing major medical problems, and did not know fully what was going on to ask questions, I did it. Well, it has been a disaster.

I have been trying to work with HFC over the past several years to get my mortgage to where I can work with it (I have 3 jobs as it is). When I call, I constantly receive different reports on my account, told different stories about what is going on, told different excuses, and told to do different things to work on my account. Apparently they are not part of the government bail out program.

I have tried many other places for help, and I either do not get a response back, or I do not get much help. I tried CCCS/Money Management and they didn't help much (didn't do anything more that I was doing). Needless to say, this has caused great stress on me. As a result of my ex husband and this company, I have been diagnosed with mental depression and I suffer from mental and emotional abuse from my ex. I am not able to go forward with my life as I never know what HFC will do with my account. They call me about 3 to 4 times a day and never want to look at any notations on my account and/or ignore them.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2010

Before my husband retired, we applied for a modification with HHF. We asked them not to do a modification until my husband retired. We gave them the dates that he would retire, so they could go from those dates to see if we would qualify for one, and to let us know. My husband brings in from retirement $2900 and a house payment of $1775, and that's without taxes and insurance. Take that payment from $2900 and there would be not much left for gas, utilities, food, taxes and insurance. So they went on and did it anyhow. They did the modification without telling us, no calls or even asked us for our decision not even telling us what the payment would be.

We found out when we got the mortgage payment. They took $200 off the $1775 so now it is $1555. (Big deal.) HHF did not have the guts to call or write first to see if we would accept their deal. If they would’ve called or wrote, I would’ve told them no. That is still a lot to pay on a fixed income. I am not working. I was in the hospital on December 2008. I had a mild heart attack and a stroke while I was still in the hospital. Then in 2009, I lost a sister in January, in February, my daughter-in-law, a brother in May, and my son in September, both my son and his wife are deceased. We are now helping take care of our grandchildren.

I have been seeing a counselor and a psychiatrist due to all that has happened in 2009, losing my son and his wife and the others, and worrying about bills. I have been diagnosed with chronic depression and more. So I talked to HFC again and told them about this hardship we’re having now. They said they did it once and could not do it again. Everyone I talked to at HFC told me to put the house up for sale, or they would do a short sell for us. Really, I don't know what they consider a hardship. We do not want to lose our house, where would our grandchildren live. They don't care if you have to live on the streets. I think HHF should be investigated. Anyone reading this, please do not go to Household Finance for any thing, please! And if it does come to the point HHF not wanting to help us, I will leave the house set before I would sell it. Let them lose. We have worked all our lives, paid our bills on time, but it seems when you do need help, you’re invisible.

Well, you know when it involves money you worry. There is tension on everyone, not sleeping, depression, taking it out on everyone else (not fair), and nowhere to turn. We are not making enough money to pay that kind of payment. like they say you take from Peter to pay Paul.) If you get this message more than once, I am sorry. I thought I deleted the other 2. I want this one posted please! Thanks!

Household Finance Company Information