Find an Online Brokers partner

Fidelity Investments

Fidelity Investments

3.8/5 (516 ratings)
Find an Online Brokers partner

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

About Fidelity Investments

Get advice from finance professionals.

Find a financial advisor near you on SmartAsset

Get Started

Fidelity Investments Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity Investments?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fidelity?

Original review: April 2, 2021

I have been a client with Fidelity for over a decade. I have retirement accounts and a brokerage account and I would recommend them, especially someone who is in my demographic and who prefers my investment style: 40 years old, married, middle class and who prefers investing in actively managed mutual funds, some passive funds and ETFs, and some individual stock picking. I also have a Robinhood account and a Webull account and I use them for more aggressive trading, but Fidelity is by far my choice for my long term investing. Their research platform is excellent and the number of mutual funds they offer is outstanding.

I was tempted to switch to Charles Schwab because Schwab was offering a bonus to switch and I had called Fidelity a few times and experienced long waits. I expressed my frustrating in a letter to the company and received a satisfactory response that stated the company has hired 7,200 more customer service representatives to help better service clients by phone. So if you are in the market for a investment brokerage, I definitely recommend Fidelity based on their research platform, investment options, and improvements the company is making to better serve their clients.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Fidelity has been helpful for me as someone who is finance phobic. They keep me sufficiently engaged to allow me to make sound investment decisions. The company also employs a variety of specialist who are available to advise me on various financial planning needs like wills, trusts and inheritance arrangements.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Ready with help when I call. Webpages easy to understand and navigate. In addition, Fidelity has a help desk one can access from the web. Overall, best I have used so far. One can easily print out statements or other information from this site.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Excellent choices with a great service. Value for the price is also very good. Some of the lowest fees for brokerage. Really flexible choices from a vast portfolio. We have had the account with them for a while and never complained. Solid background with solid choices.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I am not sure why so many people have 1 star reviews. I think they are great. I have been using Fidelity for so many years that I used to have to pay to use them. Now they are free. Their client services is great too. ** Thank you Fidelity.

Original review: May 24, 2021

Poor service on Power of Attorney. Representative asked my wife to come to the line without detailing what kind of question (not specific just general). I tried to tell she is in the middle of something, and can not come unless it is simple one from top of the question, or if complicated one (i.e. account number), then I need to ask her. Regardless, representative cited security. Come on, it is about respect, time management and security.

Original review: May 22, 2021

I called Fidelity 6 months ago when I was decided to purchase a new home. My company’s plan is structured so that loans are prohibited so my only recourse was a hardship withdrawal. Due to a problem on net benefits, I had to engage customer service. After several phone calls with extended wait times, I was told I was eligible for the withdrawal. I was quoted a figure and told which fund it would have to be taken from. However it would have to initiated by the back office.

Fast forward to May 2021 and I found my new dream home. When I called this week, I once again had to place multiple phone calls and was on hold cumulatively for over an hour. I spoke to several members referring them to the notes from my previous contact six months earlier. However after several days, I was informed that I am NOT eligible for a withdrawal. This news was extremely devastating to me as I had contemplated the funds as I’d been advised that I was eligible. Extremely poor service which has significantly impacted my future!!!! How is it possible to be told two completely different things when the plan structure has not changed!

Original review: April 7, 2021

I reached out to Fidelity in December 2020 with regard to a problem. A check had been allegedly presented to my account (which I did write) that Fidelity returned NSF - although there was money in the account. I asked Fidelity to explain what happened - in part because of the check - in part because of the hellish customer service I encountered in their 1800 hell. I followed up with SEVEN emails in their communication center. ALL EMAILS have not been responded to. I called them and spent an hour and a half AGAIN on to the phone and a manager assured me they would respond. STILL - no response. I cannot imagine a company that ignores SEVEN emails and two phone calls (over three hours on the phone) fixing THEIR mistake! What a great advertisement for Charles Schwab. Literally. This level of service is disgusting. To my understanding, banking requirements require that they respond to formal complaints.

Anyhow I reached out to the Better Business Bureau - this time I received a response to my email (keep in mind it was a response to email #8 - sent over FOUR months of unresponded to emails) and they offered a canned response but nothing explaining what happened. I responded to their email asking them to address my inquiry - no response. I replied again two weeks later - STILL no response.

So, to recap - 10 (TEN) emails to Fidelity customer service (oh, and they are getting them - I receive an email confirming it) and no response. The complaint to the BBB was marked unresolved as they did not even respond to them. I have no idea where their customer service got so de-railed but it is bad. If you don't want to spend hours on the phone resolving their problem - or have the opportunity to send TEN emails and have TEN emails ignored? Check out ANY other investment company. No one should have to deal with this level of "service".

Original review: March 26, 2021

Stay far away from this company. I deposited $3,000 into their FPAA account on March 21st. They pulled the money from my Bank on the 22nd. The funds were just sitting there for 2 days doing nothing. I called and try to ask why wasn't anything being invested after 3 days and they told me it takes a while for my funds to be diversified by their professionals. I then found out they don't offer tax-loss harvesting and decided to pull my money back out.

After 4 days that they took from my account, they told me my money would not be available for withdrawal back into my bank until the 30th! That is 8 days for the cash to settle. Nowhere do they say it takes that long for money to settle and never had I dealt with a broker that takes that long to settle a cash deposit! Matter of fact, their very own website says it takes 1-3 business days to settle yet when I talked to Scott who is a supervisor, he said it can take 4 to 6 days. I asked him where does it state that in your TOS and he couldn't give me an answer. They have held my money hostage for 8 days when the markets have been green. If you wanna lose time and money, then join them. Never again will I consider joining them again!

Original review: March 16, 2021

When called Covid-19 and high volume calls are the excuses for a long time. Several times, waiting were >30 mins and I have to give up. Also, lack of training and experiences are also observed to set up international wire transfer. They were contradictory advices. To day, I could not even login to my account with correct UN and PW. OTP was inactive. Called the phone number as it was showing on screen and again gave up after 30 min waiting. Simply disgusting. Considering moving my investment to a more reliable place. I do not think they care....

Original review: March 16, 2021

After 20 years with Fidelity I moved and they made the most feeble attempt to contact me. I thought my account was safe and when I went to take action my money was gone, escheated to the state of California. I have been trying to get my money back for 10 months. Fidelity offered no help. They don't care. Awful service.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Calling Customer Service several times a day at different time. Stayed on hold 1 hour each of the three times that I called. This is preposterous - should have a call back service set up or something to avoid SUCH LONG TIME HOLD for customers if the company is THAT BUSY or THAT understaffed. Contacted through FB messenger and received a general message that is not helping and meaning nothing. This company is through my employee who has a contract with this entity but being on my own would never chose it for service.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Fidelity issued me an incorrect 1099 reflecting a transaction as not-taxable. I informed them of their mistake and they acknowledge that it is wrong but refuse to correct it because there is no proof it was their fault. They do not care that the information they provided to the IRS is wrong (I owe tens of thousands of dollars more than they reported), the only thing they care about is the fact that there is no proof that the error is their fault. They actually pulled recorded calls from the transaction over a year ago to try to prove that I did not tell them the money would be going into a Roth account. I did tell them that at the time and even if I hadn't, as an investment management company they have an obligation to provide accurate information to the IRS.

Finding out that the money went to a Roth account and was therefore taxable should immediately trigger a corrected 1099, it should not matter whether there is proof that they were responsible for the mistake. We spoke to about 15 different people on about 10 separate calls with probably 3-5 hours on hold trying to get this corrected. I do not believe that Fidelity is an ethical company and I would not trust them with any of my investments.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

Our account has been restricted for buying/selling 2.5 weeks ago without any explanations. After waiting 1.5 hours on the phone I got an info about a form to fill because we moved from Wisconsin to Minnesota. I filled the form but this did not removed the restriction. 3 days after sending a secure message I got a response that there is some additional form that need to be filled, but the form itself has not been attached and not identified in any other form. I re-sent a message asking to get the form but Fidelity does not respond for more than 1.5 weeks.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I need to get answers on retrieving stock certificates and cannot get to speak to anyone. The online question/answer option does not understand my question. Called and held on for 45 minutes with no luck in an attempt to speak to someone. Tried the online chat and after 15 minutes was informed that I was number 152 in the queue. I have not contacted anyone there is over five years; have had an account for over 15 years. Considering switching to Raymond James.

Fidelity Investments Company Information