2. Background Check Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

CoreLogic SafeRent Reviews

Original review: May 2, 2020

Most of the apartment complexes I've applied for uses this company to check rental credit. After further review, I do not have any rental credit history that should be holding me up from renting. Disappointed in the time wasted and the endless amounts of money I have to invest into security deposits and these non-refundable application fees. I will be discussing my finding with the Equal Housing Opportunity Commission, FTC, BBB, to determine the legality of the credit check findings. Some of the properties I'm getting push back from are: Bozzuto, TGM, Southern Management.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Just applied to brand new apartment complex and approved except for (1) item-landlord rental debt. Complex gave us phone # to CoreLogics and # of transaction. Called them, read full report and NO RENTAL DEBT, but they refuse to call the complex. This is during COVID-19 when we need to apply & get a place soon. In the meantime, we have lost money and will lose more to have this straighten out. Everything has to be done online. CoreLogics needs to be gone. They ruin lifes.

Get buying tips about Background Check Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Updated 04/15/2020: After I submitted a previous review of this ridiculous and harmful company to the American People and their livelihoods, I contacted the FTC, U.S. Consumer Finance Dept., Dr. Phil, both Houses of the U.S. Congress, my local NBC news affiliate on your side personnel TB, DFS, and more. I am continuing, time permitting, now that I FINALLY became employed again for the first time in over 3000 days at a job that could bring income that I was making when wrongfully terminated from misinformation listed multiple times by this company about me that stated I was a convicted child molester, convicted second degree sexual assaulter of children, & a lifetime registered sex offender. This nearly led to my death numerous times over the years, and the girls working there are new and are "TERRIBLY sorry" and to get with an attorney.

I asked to speak with someone who's been there for 6 or 5 years so that they can remember being fired by ADP, but they send me to some guy who's only been there 2 years. My new report is 28 pages long from the CIRCULATION OF THE FRAUDULENT REPORT WHICH VIOLATED THE FCRA. At least they do know that providing false information on background reports that are defamatory, carry a two year prison sentence for those responsible. I guess that should mean their company President who has not responded to my call. Instead, I keep getting letters to dispute something that was disputedly wrong causing multiple subsequent adverse events, thus creating the new 28 page report of ridiculousness that I don't care for or about if it doesn't go to ANY EMPLOYERS.

This company should be banned for life from ruining anyone else's career like mine was. I'm supposed to be semi retired now, instead, I'm starting all over at age 51 in a totally different field which I hope works out. It's a shame since I knew so much about the field I was in before. Imagine spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on classes, shelter, food, utilities, and cable for five year (not to mention 8 hours of studying per day/night or more outside of class) plus another $30k in state approved courses, exams, fingerprinting, losing four separate licenses and designations (5 months of night/weekend schooling) while working during the week, with 320 hours of continuing education requirements completed between 1994-2019.

Gradually, over the past 6 years, my career was taken away piece by piece until when on March 12th, it was completely revoked meaning that I have to retake every course, every exam, and go through the 9 month long processes or longer to receive licensure MAYBE, meaning I could go take the courses again, pay the hundreds of dollars and hundreds of dollars again to take the exams, pay for fingerprints AGAIN, IN TWO YEARS. THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE LICENSURE EITHER SO I COULD BE WASTING MORE MONEY IF DENIED AGAIN.

I've written my attorney from 2013 whom was not aware of what was going on with me (and neither did I) along with the judge for an illegal search and seizure of myself since the police believed that I was a child sex offender. I was bullied, lied about, lied to, captured and tackled by 10 officers while kissing my girlfriend goodnight on my parent's property just 45 days after being surrounded while pumping gas. The police reports are all false as well. ONE THING IS FOR SURE.... I wish that this happens to nobody else ever. Libel, unfortunately, is word I know too well and didn't know at all beforehand. It's almost a death sentence. I am so lucky to be alive and healthy as one could be after going through adversities too explicit to discuss here. I got to live in a world that I consider "Hell on earth".

Just 3 weeks ago, events that occurred directly from the release of CoreLogic's false disgusting background report without doing any research on who I truly am, where I came from, whom I related to, where I attended college, how many different companies I worked with in my life, how few complaints (0) were made about me in 30 years while dealing with over 10,000 serviced clients and customers without a complaint, and how hard I worked to get to the point of financial success which was taken away in an instant from someone reading the disgusting, false, & horrifying background report that I can't believe of all the people on this earth, that I would even be considered a child sex offender and even horribly worse; multiple, multiple times over.

I feel lucky to be alive yet remorseful that this company believes it has done nothing, I mean nothing wrong. For Christ's sake, they were in federal court for fraudulent misinformation/disinformation in 2016 in Virginia for libeling 1.7 million professionals. I will continue to seek justice against this disgustingly cloaking itself always company which doesn't make it known when it libels anyone by putting their name, corelogic, anywhere next to its compiled falsehoods meant to cause detrimental harm.. Nothing other.

I hope that Mr. ** gets the maximum punishment: 2 years in Federal Prison.. hopefully State prison. I will stop at no ends to make sure the laws are followed with regard to this. I want to give them a taste of what I went through but it was 8 years and continues to this day. Amazing how the police stopped HARRASSING me after they realized it was a different person with my name and d.o.b. since my name is so common that there's probably 500 to 5000 people with my name and date of birth. One of them is a very bad person and deserves the treatment I got. Not the person I am.

I've cried way too many times over losing everything that I worked for because of the report's information CIRCULATED without my knowledge for several years. Even then, after it was amended, I was unable to recoup my position at my old job where I had $50k stolen from me in commissions over the next 3 months. Instead, my mental health and physical health dove 3 months after being wrongfully terminated and punished for succeeding. To top it off, attorneys have had no idea as to whom was the responsible party. Not until 2019 was I notified of those accountable worthy of PRISON TIME. YES. PRISON TIME.

Printing, publishing, and circulating libelous information is punishable from laws enacted by congress in 1970, amended several times since. I have received "Dummy" letters from corelogic which have no particular person to contact back since it's just some lame generic letter with no meaning since the people argue with me stating today that "They never worked with ADP ever". CSR is named steve and he's a royal ** Full of more lies and deceptive jargoning making no sense whatsoever contradicting himself regularly.

Original review: CoreLogic has ruined my 20 year career as a licensed health, life, annuity, property & casualty insurance agent/adjuster. Because of its erroneous, libelous, and horrifying Crimlink sex offender section of an ADP background report, I went from making six figures to homeless, jailed, unemployed, physically and mentally ill, and lucky to be alive surviving wrongful termination, police harassments, family division, estate will removal, Dept. Of Financial Services licensure recantations, and approximately $3 million in damages or more.

I have wasted my time by working my way through the the Univ of TX at Austin in 5 years while working full time; $5000 in insurance school costs I started taking State courses in 1994; and am reduced to nothing but a minimum wage laborer with an IQ of 130. Thanks, Corelogic for ruining everything. I've worked my rear end off for. I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to make $150k-$200k per year again when their report disgustingly stated in bold print that I was a convicted child sex offender multiple times. They have not done anything to make up for this and somehow hid behind the scenes and attorneys are afraid of them. Why would they be? 100 or more are or believe this scumbag of a company.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Ever since moving to Texas I've had problems with housing and employment. I've been terminated from every employer when my background has been checked. I've been denied housing unless I've provided a background check that I've had to dip into my own pocket for. The unifying condition? Core Logic background checks and services. I've not been arrested or convicted since 1996 in the state of Illinois. I haven't even been given so much as a traffic ticket.

So when I applied at Colonial Grand at Onion Creek parkway in Austin Texas? What do I happen to find? I'm accused of being a pedophile in 2017 in Virginia and that I've jumped bail in that same year in Kentucky. Never mind that I've never lived in or visited Virginia or Kentucky. I've been going toe to toe with Core Logic and have even dealt with them over the phone ensuing in a 4 hour phone battle with a representative that told me that "I needed to take it up with the federal government" only to then admit that they only check first name, last name and date of birth. I now have to move to another state that core logic does not have as much of a foothold in to be able to move on with my life.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

My student daughter applied for rent in Chicago, IL, and I submitted my info for credit check as co-signer. Next day, I found HARD INQUIRY in my credit history. I have excellent 800+ credit history, no any criminal records, good stable income, etc. I highly recommend to avoid having any business with CoreLogic Rent, never apply with them for credit/background check.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CoreLogic SafeRent?

Original review: April 30, 2019

My husband and I applied for a rental home, all of our finances are correct as well as our credit history, but we were denied because this company reported my husband's criminal history incorrectly. Someone else with his name and last name, different age however, showed up under his report with a criminal past. We are working on this dispute right now but they are not being very helpful. He recently adjusted his immigration status and went through a thorough background check including fingerprint and FBI databases and came back as clean. I am not sure how this company works or how they can link 2 completely different people to provide a bogus report. Very frustrated with them!

Original review: April 17, 2019

My college aged daughter and her roommate have decided to rent an apartment for their last 2 years. They need co-signers in order to rent. I was sent an online co-signer application from CoreLogic by the landlord. I filled out the first page and hit the next button and was kicked off the app. I tried to sign back in but was not able to. The very next day, I was alerted that someone was trying to hack into my email addresses. Then I get an email that says the landlord has terminated my app. Then my daughter gets a text from the landlord that says the company will do my credit check. I got a bad feeling so I went online to check reviews. Needless to say, the girls rented a different apartment that doesn't use CoreLogic.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They pay property taxes for my mortgage out of the escrow. They paid my property taxes then billed me for the same amount. Repeated calls got nowhere. I asked why they are billing me and was told it's to pay property taxes. I ask what they did with the money they took out of my escrow. They said they paid my property taxes with it and this is to pay them back. The pretty much just steal money.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

To keep it brief, this agency wrongfully reported a criminal record on my consumer report. Thus, causing a recent rental application (for a new apartment) to get denied/rejected. With that said, I had to file a dispute and request for an investigation to have error fixed and cleared off of my record. Despite having to deal with their terrible customer service, unethical operations, and elongated investigation process (which took an entire month) — I finally was able to get my problem resolved and deleted off my report. Thank God!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Same as many others on here, they did a name (and supposedly dob) search and found someone in another state that we have never lived in, had drug charges. I find a more sensible explanation is that they make stuff up if someone has too many kids, are a minority, etc. For those of you asking, find your Fair Housing agency within your area. Sometimes it is at legal aid. Atlanta, GA area has Metro Fair Housing. They are investigating as this is causing us great financial harm (we had our house sold and now can't sell and are unable to move as most rental companies here use CoreLogic). They should be shut down and closed. It's a scam at best to get the money. They do NOT do real background reports. Also see and file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your local Attorney General's office. I will not stop, as this has cost me $42,000... for NO REASON!!

CoreLogic SafeRent author review by Ben Mannes

CoreLogic provides a variety of services related to the real estate industry, including background checks, property tax management, loan modification, foreclosure audits and more. CoreLogic Rental Property Solutions acts as an advisor for multifamily property owners, including offer screenings for potential tenants.

• Collections alert: This services alerts landlords about applicants that do not have a good track record of paying their rent on time. This can include overdue rent and rent that is still unpaid. Anything reported by Collections Alert has generally not been reported to the major credit bureaus

• Convenience with cloud-based technology: CoreLogic Rental Property Solutions uses cloud technology to store and share data, making it easy for clients to access their information from anywhere.

• Range of services: In addition to running background checks on potential renters, CoreLogic Rental Property Solutions provides leasing solutions, renter's insurance and a range of services for property managers.

• Services for buildings of all sizes: Landlords with one to over 15,000 tenants can use the services CoreLogic Rental Property Solutions has to offer. Their products can smoothly integrate into existing systems.

• Speed: Because the tenant screening is completed online, the results can be returned to landlords in a matter of minutes.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

CoreLogic SafeRent Company Information