1.30/5

Detroit, MI

166 Comerica Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Having passed through the pain and worries that bad credit report brings, I know how frustrated one can be moving around with a bad credit report, I actually gained insight on credit repair services while surfing the internet, decided to try out and see what the outcome would be. After a 7 days time, bankruptcy displayed on my credit report got wiped off and score increased to mid 700. All thanks goes to Mr. ** and his entire repair team, I'll always refer him for similar repair problems_Contact_** OR Text_**.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was trying to improve my credit report myself, my credit score was 502 then dropped to a 472 disputing two credit cards and I could not get approved for a loan, a car and a house… NOTHING! It was draining in every aspect of my life because I got kids I have to protect their future. A few month ago, was searching around the internet and came across a credit expert linked with the credit bureaus who helped me increase my credit scores now I got 775. He told me it would take a few weeks to get it done approximately a month and kept to his word. Now I can apply for just about anything. I can’t thank him enough and I knew I owe him this, get in touch with him today and make a bright future tomorrow.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had a 420 with Transunion, 411 with Experian and a 405 FICO score. I also had a repossession, charge offs and negative closed credit card accounts. I was trying to get a new 2018 Chevrolet Cruz Premier Hatchback in Cajun Red at my local Chevrolet dealership but I had a bad credit and needed an urgent help repairing it. My friend who previously was in my situation gave me a contact (TROJAN at WRITEME dot COM) of TROJAN the credit specialist who helped him fix his. I quickly emailed and texted him asking him the process to get started after explaining my situation to him. We got started immediately and after 5 business days he deleted the repossession, charge offs and raised my scores to 788. I have purchased the 2018 Chevrolet and I’m also qualified for everything. You can feel free to contact him for credit repair help because he’s the best of his kind.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I couldn't activate my card because they got my birthday incorrect. I then was told to fax a copy of my ID to fix it. I called was then told my fax was too dark for them to see. I have already faxed a copy of my ID three times and got told it was too dark everytime. I don't see how when I faxed it from FedEx so it should of came out clear enough to see. I will never be getting a pay card ever again. You guys suck and don't even know what you're doing. I honestly would give 0 stars if I could. Your company makes me very disappointed!!!

Original review: April 13, 2019

Updated on 05/14/2019: For years I have been bounced around government agencies that did Nothing. The Mi supervisor was as corrupt as the Vice Pres. MN - so I wrote the BBB Texas #** and asked CEO why 1080 bank complaints of Fraud and abuse - ZERO resolved. Then I gave them 10 examples. SUSAN ** responded by sending the complaint back to the very people that were doing the fraud that wasn't resolved with over 1080 complaints. I emailed the con artist to see if anyone even contacted her. Nope - still up to Stonewalling and scams. So where do we go.

Government Offices don't help - in fact occ #** promised to get documents from now closed Independent Mortgage Review - which actually exposes Fraud. But, I knew the promise by the Comptroller of Currency - as soon as they received my complaint - they told me days later in a letter dated April 18, 2019 that now they have no jurisdiction as of 3 days ago and referred it to CFPB - same as the Bank of America scam dated January 25, 2018 # **. That one was never resolved either by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. That one was resolved by Senator Ron Johnson's office in 2018 - That office no longer helps with bank fraud. They now just ignore " nobodies" like me and don't bother to even respond anymore.

Original Review: It's funny that I contact the FEDERAL RESERVE, help with my bank, senators office, OCC and the Texas Department of Banking to complain about Seterus Mortgage attempting to foreclosure my house when I'm 3 mortgage payments AHEAD, deposit MY funds in someone else's account, and fail to pay my property taxes on time - and then months later they are SHUT DOWN - and I complain about WORSE things from COMERICA TRUST - and all I get is the run around and nothing happens?

I read millions of complaints about this Trust bank - nothing happens? I recently sent in a complaint about Comerica Trust in MN on MARCH 14, 2019 at 3:25 pm - to the FEDERAL RESERVE - they forward it to the OCC - that forwards it to the Texas Department of Banking - but instead of holding COMERICA TRUST accountable in 2009 - NOW - I get a note from a DAVID ** of the TDB - telling me basically to move on they don't handle it now either. I write again asking to have anyone OTHER than this representative to address my complain - but he answers again anyway? Whats up with that? How do they get away with not being held accountable for anything?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?

Original review: March 9, 2019

This new automated system you have on there is more than ridiculous!!! Nine out of ten times you try to find out something it never understands what you want. For instance I had called it once more today to find out my balance and to get transaction history. First it did not recognize me saying "get my balance" until 3 tries then it said, "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" And I then said transaction history and she seemed to have a hard time understanding that so I repeated it and it tells me "One moment while I connect you to customer service," and it connected me to a place called Harland Products. Pleeease can you go back to the older version of automated system, thank you.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I own a small business, I have a Money Saving Tip Workshop were we go into schools and help Low Income Families how to save money with a home budget, create credit, improve credit score, read your credit report. Comerica Bank Representatives came to the schools told the families they had additional information to help them. BUT what they FAILED to say was that "They will only HELP if the Budget for the program has money to pay them for their TIME. The 2019-2020 Budget will not take place until August 2019. Instead of explaining the situation they made up EXCUSES as to why they could not come. I reached out to a Manager of the Comerica Bank in the Community because as a business owner wasting time is frustrating. His reply was NO he could not help these families. I can provide emails.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I called customer service to reset an online login. The representative was rude when I said I was out and didn’t have my account number on hand. The rep got mad when I asked her to not be condescending with me and hung up on me. It’s unbelievable that I keep my money here and got a mortgage through them. I’ll be closing my account this week and going to a credit union.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I got my social security income February 21st 2019. It was a big chunk of money deposited. In the past 2 day I've had transactions that weren't from me. Nobody had my card, card number, or even access to it.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Comerica Bank is well-aware of the fraudulent situation with Direct Express and yet does nothing. When I tried to talk to them they refused and transferred me to the fraud department at Direct Express. I received a provisional credit from Direct Express for fraudulent charges. Yesterday, one of the charges was deducted from my account. Calling Direct Express for an explanation got me nothing but the runaround and rudeness from a rep and his supervisor. If an investigation is ongoing why deduct the charges in question out of my account? Direct Express is a moneymaking scam and Comerica Bank knows it. All involved should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

After waiting 55 minutes I hung up as I could drive to the local bank and back home 3x by now. Ironically, the on hold message starts with "time is money, and Comerica web banking bla bla BS"... As a small business who was locked out due to the new Comerica app to simply view funds available - as I hope someone is listening, probably a statement into a black hole. Seriously think about alternatives after 10 years at Comerica.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I am a small business owner and was looking for an alternative to PayPal for secure payment especially for new suppliers. I called Comerica Bank customer support explained my needs and concerns and was told that ACH payment into USA bank account is very secure,traceable and reversible if things go wrong. I was mislead by the Comerica Bank customer service, made the ACH payment and it cost me my business. I would not have never made such ACH payment had I know the Comerica Bank customer support information was wrong!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Comerica Bank closed my account because I had over 11 overdraft charges, but 7 of which were totally bogus! The bank held my deposits three times in the last four months causing me to go negative... so they were gaming me and trying to force me out as a customer. My tax return direct deposited the same day they closed my account. So now I have wait for them to mail it me, but not until after they hold it for as long as they want to give them time dip in and take as much they please.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I needed to order my account statements, so I contacted the number on my last statement. There was a recording/automated line that absolutely did not understand anything. I continuously pressed 0 and said "operator" after it failed to understand what I needed. Finally, the recording said I would be on hold for 61 minutes. I put the call on speaker to go back to work, and the recording droned on and on about how much Comerica "cared" about my call and how they want to make the community better, all the while illustrating, by their actions, what a facade all of their misplaced rhetoric is.

I run a business, and there was no way I could listen to this nonsense for 61 minutes, so I contacted the branch location, they said they would charge me 8 dollars for every invoice I needed. I asked if they could help me get a password for my account online so I could print them out myself. I was given the IT phone number. I called them, again, same ridiculous message and waited on the phone for 30 minutes, with no "real" person answering.

This seems like a scam. If Comerica refused to allow its business customers to set up an account online (there is no set up online), and refuses to allow them to speak with a real person - or even an automated recording that understands anything, and then I have to pay hundreds to get my account statements for the last two years? I'm out. Chase has much better customer service, and they just mailed me my statements for free after a 5 minute phone call. They didn't make me listen to a conglomeration of ostensibly well thought out advertisements in order to waste my day either. Next time Comerica, act like you care, don't have an automated recording talk about it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Force closed a very large line of credit due to "inactivity" with no advance warning (and I had a perfect payment record and high scores all thought the life of the account), and then refused to reopen it on appeal without a hard pull on my credit and no guarantee the specs of the account would be restored to what they were. So effectively they hurt my credit profile once by lowering my overall available credit, and then potentially twice by making me apply as if new. They also failed to acknowledge my requests in writing, instead sending a vague letter asking me to call in and find this out.

This is their loss and since the CC division likely exemplifies their level of service, I will never do business with Comerica for any financial products ever again. Their loss is also another bank's gain, because I'll have little trouble getting as good or better a deal elsewhere. But if they realized that in the first place, they would not have done this.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

The new voice automated response system is not customer friendly! It is a poorly constructed voice automated system response I’ve ever dealt with or ever had to painfully endure just to get my balance! Truly a customer time wasting, aggravating, irritating nightmare to have to go through!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

So I had an issue with transferring the money on their website. All the information I entered was correct but there always appeared the following error: "Unable to validate your card account, please try again." I had tried several times and without success, so I decided to call customer service. The first lady who attended me did not speak proper English so after trying to explain the situation to her, I gave up. The second guy didn't even try to listen to me, after one "Hello," he immediately hung up after saying that he could not hear me?!

The third one was extremely rude. She didn't let me finish my sentences and kept screaming at me. I told her I had entered the correct information but she kept repeating that I must enter the correct 3-digit code in the back! When I told her that I also tried to send money to another person's bank account using the Routing number and Bank account number, she kept telling me I had entered incorrect information, which I did not! I have been transferring money for many years with other banks and never had such issues. Why can't they find errors on their side?

In the end, that rude lady hung up on me! The fourth person, his name was Alex, was not helpful at all, so I asked for a supervisor who finally tried to help me with my issue. Even though the issue has not been removed and I still cannot transfer money, I believe that the rest of the customer service team should at least try to assist me with my issue instead of keeping telling me what to do! The customer service team that your bank hire is not well trained at all! Please do additional training before paying them to serve your customers, otherwise they will run away from you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The incident began on September 30th when I was provided a cashier check in the amount of $3,100.00 from a sub-letter for my New York apartment. The check was issued at PNC, the subletter's bank, and I immediately attempted to deposit the check through Comerica's web banking application on my phone. After attempting the deposit, I noticed there was a "pending" status on the transaction which lead me to call customer service. I spoke to a young woman who told me that the check would be rejected as it was higher than the $2,500.00 limit. When I asked her if it would be alright to deposit the check at a different brick-and-mortar bank on the 2nd of October (that Monday), she told me it would be fine to do so as the check would be denied deposit by Comerica anyways. On the 2nd, I went to a Charles Schwab Bank branch and deposited the check without any immediate issues.

Four days later, I received troubling news from Charles Schwab that the check had been flagged as "suspicious or fictitious" and would not be paid out. After a very long and drawn out investigation between PNC and Charles Schwab, a representative at Schwab informed me that the reason why PNC denied payment (and why the Fed had flagged the check) is because there had been another bank within which the funds had been deposited. I immediately knew that it was Comerica. I then called my hometown Comerica branch in Northville and spoke with one of the managers named Rita. Rita informed me that the money in question was deposited successfully but was being held for twelve days due to the check also being flagged as suspicious. I asked her if it was going to be denied as well and she told me that if it would've been denied deposit, it would've already been denied before the hold was placed.

Again, another Comerica employee misinforming me as the money was removed from my account on the penultimate day of the hold. At that point, the money was "nowhere". Schwab, on their end, told me that they had never even been paid out from PNC so it was impossible to have the money. They issued a letter stating this. PNC claimed that they had paid Comerica, did not have any of the funds, and they too issued a letter with this information. I then pleaded to the Comerica complaint line to help me solve this terrible situation to which I received patronizing rudeness, obfuscation, and a general shifting of blame to the other banks. Not once. Not twice. But three times from three different reps. Finally, a Comerica rep claimed that on October 11th, they had returned money that had indeed been paid out from PNC because PNC informed them it had already been paid out elsewhere.

It was, in one rep's words, "out of their hands at that point." One final communication with a Comerica rep even provided the baffling advice that I needed to get an official letter from a PNC vice president that they didn't have the adjustment! I then sought assistance from Charlene and JJ from the Pleasant Ridge, Michigan branch. Charlene sent me on a wild goose chase to find a legal copy of the check from Charles Schwab. What good this would have done is beyond my comprehension. JJ, the manager of the branch and someone who has worked with my father for years (also a longtime Comerica customer through his dental practice), never returned my phone calls asking for her help in the matter. I finally asked Rita from the Northville branch if she would be willing to draft a letter with evidence that the money had been adjusted and returned to PNC; she told me she'd work on it but I never heard back from her.

Meanwhile, the only person truly on my side was not any rep from Comerica but rather a godsend of a woman named Andrea from PNC. I must emphasize that I am not a PNC customer and she should've had no obligation to help me. Regardless of this, she promised she would resolve this incident as she could understand it created extreme distress for me. She investigated for almost two weeks this incident, even staying on the phone with me as I spoke to a recalcitrant Comerica rep explaining that the money was not at Comerica and that she didn't have any way to track it.

All of this finally came to a resolution after Andrea called me last week to inform me that her adjustments department had been in communication with Comerica and they did, in fact, have my money all along. Indeed, they never returned it in the first place. All of the blaming, all of the rudeness, all of the pointless tasks they issued me, all amounting to this bitterly ironic outcome. I hope you can now understand why this incident is horrifying. Not only is it possible to get completely false information from countless employees that should know better, it is possible that one's own bank can be so unwilling to help its own customers resolve an issue they caused themselves.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Comerica Bank is the worst bank than all the banks put together. Their service is the worst and they don't care. If you tell them you are unhappy with the way they provide service, no one will ever know unless you call their quality department. They even give a number to call. Seriously, you would think that they would care enough to note that there is a problem, but they don't. I've had the worst experience with this bank and I grade them as the most unethical bank because of that experience. Now I am trying to take care of another problem and after 10 calls to them, we have gotten nowhere.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I had a checking account with Comerica for years before I decided to end my relationship with the bank. However, a back payment deposit was sent to the closed account and Comerica decided to re-open the account and accept the payment. After inquiring about why they would re-open a closed account, I was told it was because the account had a $38 balance that they wanted to collect. Furthermore, after they deducted the amount owed, they would not release the

remaining balance of the deposit to me.

I went into the Detroit Warren and Evergreen office where the asset manager Annalise was rude and would not give me the customer complaint number. I waited 2 years for this back payment from SSDI because of a severe back injury. I had not worked in over 2 years and I had acquired some serious debt and was behind on bills. This bank has caused me serious stress by holding my funds. I will tell anyone who listens about my experience, and warn them against banking with Comerica.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Comerica almost scared a client so badly the client wasn't going to work with me again. The client stopped payment on a check then put the money in one of my other accounts. So Comerica charged a fee for the bounced check though Comerica initiated the stop payment. I had to demand through letter for my cash in my accounts to be given to me. Finally I received my money, but the procedures of a bank will do whatever with no evidence and not even listen to or believe the account holder is pretty sad. I always explain what my business does. I don't recommend Comerica for money services.

Original review: June 16, 2018

US Direct Express has a breach the day my as was deposited. You have 0 cash and not one soul will help me. I have returned their form and five faxes. I've called daily to be told they have nothing from me orally as well. I'm so upset. My lights will be off today.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I am a new customer with Comerica soon to be a past customer. I have had an account with them for 6 months. I just got a new contract and deposited my first check. I asked if there would be any delay on the funds availability and was told no funds available by tomorrow. That was 8 days ago. In the mean time I have been told by several representatives that one more day and at one point was told that there was a problem with the writer's account. The check has already cleared the writer's bank over a week ago still no money in my account. But they did add two overdraft charges to my account. My advice run from Comerica.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been a customer of Comerica for nine years and my business account was canceled today with fifteen days to find a new banking institution. Earlier this year, I had back-up withholding because a representative of Comerica Merchant Services who set up my credit card system transposed two digits of my Social Security number and raised a red flag to the IRS. 31% of all my daily take of credit card transactions was gone! I got it rectified without a lot of help from my bank manager, but I was still looked upon as an aggressor. I actually got the full amount of back-up withholding returned to me, with a compensation of $150, which I called niggardly. Not knowing their dictionary, this statement was regarded as vulgar slang. I believe my account was cancelled to avoid litigation by those employees who were hurt by a term of Swedish origin.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I have been a happy customer of Comerica Bank for some 30+ years. What a shock then when I used the Bank’s foreign currency exchange to both buy yen and return the unused portion to my account. Several weeks after returning my remaining yen, -- after been told the transaction might take a week -- I have only yesterday seen the amount added to my account in a kind of limbo (pending approval). I have been now been told the exchange might take up to 2 months. I am in disbelief about such questionable business practice. Californians travel a great deal for work and pleasure. This was the first time I used Comerica’s Foreign Exchange services. Except for the conscientiousness of their branch in Palo Alto, I am appalled by the entire thing.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I had a check bounce - the one and only check that has ever bounced. Instead of bouncing the check, Comerica instead decided to bounce 8 different transactions at $38 a piece. When confronted about it - they also decided to close my account (like I wasn't leaving anyway). There were no actual managers working to speak to - instead, they had elevated tellers who could give absolutely no help. When asking to speak to someone in the corporate offices - or a Manager of some sort who could help - I was given: 1. The number to employee IT - with a 30 minute wait to speak to a human who then told me it was the wrongs number for clients to call. 2. The number to customer service where their standard answer is "I can't help you, you need to speak to a Bank Manager". 3. Call the Bank Manager - "they are on vacation", "in a meeting", "unavailable".

The ABSOLUTE WORST customer service I have ever encountered! I do, however, thank Comerica for one thing - they inspired me to find a bank that really does WORK WITH small businesses. In the entire time I was with Comerica they offered NO OFFERS or INCENTIVES towards my small business. Their marketing strategy is to bring in small businesses by telling them they are all about small businesses. My new bank is ABOUT small businesses - Comerica is about understaffed, under managed and wayyy behind the market in general technology. Comerica makes you PAY TO SEE YOUR ACCOUNT ONLINE - $6.95/month!!! I was on a paperless plan and they had to do ABSOLUTELY nothing to give me information about my bank account. They still charged (watch the small print with these thieves) me to look at my bank account online.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

As a former business owner myself, I know how vital feedback from customers is as a way of gauging success. It is this fact and this alone that I can muster the patience to report to you a series of events involving Comerica that have robbed me of a month of my time during an extremely busy time of the year. Worse, the amount of distress these events caused are nearly unrivaled by any other customer service experience I've had in my lifetime. Furthermore, it is the severity of the events that lead me, after over twenty years of banking with Comerica, to close my accounts with your bank. I can say, without equivocation, that I experienced a horror story of a customer service interaction at the hands of multiple Comerica representatives. You'll soon understand that I do not mince my words by calling my incident horrifying.

The incident began on September 30th when I was provided a cashier check in the amount of $3,100.00 from a sub-letter for my New York apartment. The check was issued at PNC, the subletter's bank, and I immediately attempted to deposit the check through Comerica's web banking application on my phone. After attempting the deposit, I noticed there was a “pending” status on the transaction which lead me to call customer service. I spoke to a young woman who told me that the check would be rejected as it was higher than the $2,500.00 limit. When I asked her if it would be alright to deposit the check at a different brick-and-mortar bank on the 2nd of October (that Monday), she told me it would be fine to do so as the check would be denied deposit by Comerica anyways.

On the 2nd, I went to a Charles Schwab bank branch and deposited the check without any immediate issues. Four days later, I received troubling news from Charles Schwab that the check had been flagged as “suspicious or fictitious” and would not be paid out. After a very long and drawn out investigation between PNC and Charles Schwab, a representative at Schwab informed me that the reason why PNC denied payment (and why the Fed had flagged the check) is because there had been another bank within which the funds had been deposited. I immediately knew that it was Comerica.

I then called my hometown Comerica branch in Northville and spoke with one of the managers named Rita. Rita informed me that the money in question was deposited successfully but was being held for twelve days due to the check also being flagged as suspicious. I asked her if it was going to be denied as well and she told me that if it would've been denied deposit, it would've already been denied before the hold was placed. Again, another Comerica employee misinforming me as the money was removed from my account on the penultimate day of the hold. At that point, the money was “nowhere”.

Finally, a Comerica rep claimed that on October 11th, they had returned money that had indeed been paid out from PNC because PNC informed them it had already been paid out elsewhere. It was, in one rep's words, “out of their hands at that point.” One final communication with a Comerica rep even provided the baffling advice that I needed to get an official letter from a PNC vice president that they didn't have the adjustment!

I hope you can now understand why this incident is horrifying. Not only is it possible to get completely false information from countless employees that should know better, it is possible that one's own bank can be so unwilling to help its own customers resolve an issue they caused themselves. If I had not had someone like Andrea the Godsend on my side, my own bank would have held my money within their own voluminous, labyrinthine accounts due to their willful ignorance and laziness to investigate.

These are the reasons why I have decided to close my accounts with your bank. I have also informed my entire family of this incident, much to their own dismay. My extended family, many entrepreneurs like myself, have banked with your business for years. They are now considering the same action as I. In a world where there are thousands of options to bank, there is simply no excuse to settle for the kind of service I have received over the last month from Comerica.

This letter should serve as an example that there are serious, fundamental problems with your business: Your mobile banking app has a workaround or bug allowing amounts over $2,500 to be tentatively deposited rather than to be immediately rejected. Customer service representatives are ill-informed, rude, and unwilling to help their own customers with complex issues.

Branch managers do not follow through with tasks they promise they will complete. There is faulty communication between different departments so as to inform lower level employees necessary information to solve said complex issues. Mr. Farmer, Babb, Duprey, and the rest of the senior leadership at Comerica, I hope you find my letter to be helpful. If you feel as though you need more clarification of the events of the last month, you may contact me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

My brother, James ** had a problem with an ATM malfunction at 2900 Burlingame, Wyoming MI. We went to your Grandville branch on Wilson. Your Entire staff went WELL ABOVE ALL EXPECTATIONS! Not only did they connect him with the proper people to resolve his problems, but let him stay on their phone for over 45 minutes to confirm his claim. The Branch Manager gets extra "Kudos" for offering my brother an option of transferring the call to a desk that he'd be able to sit down at. No one at this branch is or was aware that my brother is a cancer liver, stage 4 small cell lung to be exact. I just want to THANK THEM ALL FOR THEIR LOVE AND KINDNESS TO HIM. Wishing you the best of holiday blessings.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I noticed a .30 deposit into my checking account and when I contacted the bank about it, they had no idea what this bank was or why it had deposited this small amount into my account and advised that it could be possible fraud. I had it flagged and disputed because I did not give this bank any details to my account and it just showed up out of nowhere. I am a person who constantly checks my accounts and anything out of the ordinary, I will investigate and I have no idea what Comerica Bank is nor did I give them permission to my account and with the recent Equifax breach and now breaches with Wells Fargo, which is my current bank, I am so nervous of someone stealing my information... smdh!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Let me preface this by saying I never write bad reviews. My wife and I are probably the most easygoing, relaxed folks you could come across. We are the kind of people that if we are brought the wrong dish at a restaurant, we would just eat it and pay as to not make a "thing" about it. I am also not someone to call out an employee by name, but I am going to do that right now, because this man's absolute gross incompetence and outright laziness is beyond any bad customer service I have ever received in any capacity. (And for the record, I have copies of every document, email, etc that shows all of what I am about to explain, so this is not a review from a "disgruntled" person trying to slander a company or person. We are an honest family with respect and integrity for others. Just want that to be clear. Everything contained in this review is 100% the truth.)

My wife and I are planning to do an add-on to our home in preparation for our second baby arriving. We also have a three-year-old daughter. We live in Southern California and own our home. We have impeccable credit and have never been late on a mortgage payment, in fact we often pay more than the monthly amount. We applied for a HELOC through Comerica, and at first, all was great. We did our interview over the phone, then provided all the requested documents (taxes, paystubs, mortgage info etc) within a day, and a week or so later received a letter from Comerica stating that we were offered a $280,000 line of revolving credit. We only needed 90K.

They had initially told us they would do a formal appraisal on our home, but we figured since we already knew our home was now worth over $800,000 and we only still owe $400,000 on our loan, that they knew this was a slam dunk for them because the equity in our home was so much astronomically more than the loan we were asking for, and so they just offered us more "just in case". That's fine. All good. So we called back in and verbally accepted the offer over the phone and all was well. Another week went by, and we figured we should call in just to be sure all was still well and moving along. We were told all was moving along great, but that "Brian **" was waiting for our proof of home insurance. We were never informed that was needed or we would have sent it, but that's fine, we would just send the statement showing proof and continue moving along.

So we asked for Brian **'s contact information which we were given a phone number and email. We figured Brian ** must be the underwriter (he is based in Comerica's Michigan location). So the second we got off the phone we scanned our Home Insurance information into a PDF and emailed it to Brian. Several days went by with no response. So my wife called and left Brian ** a message on his personal business phone line nicely saying we've sent our insurance info that was needed and could he please call us back to confirm it was received. Another week goes by with no response. So I email him again asking to please respond so I know our insurance statement was received. Another 5 days goes by with no response.

So we go to our local Comerica branch and speak with a very nice woman named Melody who offered to contact Brian herself, which she did later that afternoon, and called us back to tell us our offered loan was only $30,000, not $280,000. This is what Brian told her. We kinda laughed at what had to be a mistake (perhaps he was looking at the wrong application?), and informed her that our letter from Comerica stated $280,000 and emailed her the letter. She said "Oh, let me call him again". Which she did. She calls us back and says Brian ** still states the loan is for $30,000. I ask her to have Brian call me so we can discuss what is happening. She does request him to call me. Several days, no call from Brian **.

So we call into the Comerica Loan customer service line again, they pull up our application number, they tell us our loan is still good for $280,000 but that Brian Weaver is waiting on... WAIT FOR IT... our HOME INSURANCE POLICY. At this point even though I'm a very nice guy, I was starting to get ** off. I informed them I had sent him this information over 2 weeks ago and have the email to prove it. I even confirmed his email address was correct with them. They said they would have him call me. Surprise, surprise, several days go by, no call from Brian. So I call his personal line AGAIN and leave a message, this time admittedly a bit less 'kind', and asked him to please call me back. Didn't call me back. So I call Melody at our local office again and she says "I'm so sorry I've never seen this happen before" (She is a very nice gal but not very high up the totem pole I imagine so there's only so much she can personally do).

But she says she will contact him yet again, which she does. Again, he never calls us. So she asks me to please put everything in writing in an email to send to her so that she could forward it to Brian ** (because obviously he was getting emails), and so I essentially bullet-pointed everything contained here in this review, attached the home insurance PDF again, and asked to speak with him regarding this miscommunication about why we were offered $280,000 in a letter, had it confirmed by multiple calls in to the Comerica loan customer service line, but that he's still telling Melody it's only for $30,000, and why does our application still show he is waiting for our proof of home insurance when we sent it to him weeks ago, and most importantly, WHY CAN'T HE CALL AND TALK TO US FOR FIVE SECONDS TO STRAIGHTEN THIS OUT. So she forwards him the email. All he writes back is "It is $30,000".

This poor woman kept profusely apologizing to us saying she doesn't know why he is saying $30,000 and why he won't call us. Mind you Comerica hadn't done an in-home appraisal for us which they said they would, which again would show our home was worth well over $800,000. We ask her if he has even looked at our home insurance statement. She says she doesn't know. We say "You do realize there is a $250,000 difference in what EVERYONE ELSE at Comerica is telling us and what Brian Weaver is telling you." She says yes and keeps apologizing. So we call one last time to Comerica loan customer service, and they tell us the same thing again. $280,000. Brian ** needs our home insurance. At this point I tell them "No, what Brian Weaver needs is the metaphorical red ticket in his locker telling him he's fired."

So now, after waiting WEEKS waiting on this imbecile, he never did call or email us, and we can no longer wait on Comerica to get their act together with him. We even asked for another underwriter, to which we were informed that Brian ** is NOT the underwriter. He is just the PREPARER for the actual underwriter! ** believable, folks. I couldn't make this Comedy of Errors up if I tried. We wasted so much valuable time on this company. I don't know if it's indicative of the company as a whole, or just indicative of one man that needs to be demoted back down to the mail room, but Brian **? Wherever you are? This is my **. You are the absolute epitome of everything that should NOT be involved in any kind of customer service.

And the thing is, referrals and word of mouth go a long way. One of our closest longtime friends is the #2 real estate agent in Southern California. My wife and I are middle class folks. But his clients are the high-end heavy hitters that would be invaluable assets to your clientele. And instead of what should have been a relatively simple process that we could have highly recommended your company to him on, we now have told him this story. So not only are we going elsewhere for our humble loan, those other high-roller clients of his will now go elsewhere as well. Fire Brian **. Seriously. I'm a nice guy and a hardworker and all about helping people. But for lack of a more sophisticated phrase, he SUCKS. I mean really, REALLY sucks. Now I'm going to go have a drink on the porch and try to forget this whole nightmare ever happened. Cheers.

Comerica Bank Company Information