Detroit, MI

4.0/5 (113 ratings)

About Comerica Bank

Comerica Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

If you want decent customer service, an efficient mobile app, fair fees, and fair treatment—look elsewhere. They have an antiquated mobile app. Their customer service is only available during business hours unless it’s technical support. If you do happen to need technical support you get the same sarcastic guy after hours. Their automated system is also a dinosaur and keeps repeating only one option no matter what you say and how clearly you say it. Overdraft protection is only for those with a checking account or one of their credit cards. Expect stellar credit to obtain that card. And expect to get hit with a lot of OD fees due to their slow as molasses system where they lack the instant bank to bank transfers of their competitors.

Original review: July 31, 2022

I cannot currently access my Social Security funds using my Direct Express debit card to pay rent and buy essential medications and food. Like many elderly, disabled, poor I rely on this money to live day to day. Three weeks now they have refused me free access to my account. If you contact US government offices re the abuse and fraud connected with the Direct Express debit card business model, they will tell you to contact Direct Express, so it seems contrary to what the BBB is claiming, Direct Express is not in fact a government program. The card apparently is issued by COMERICA BANK who partners with a company called CONDUENT to service the accounts. Between them they block accounts arbitrarily without warning or notification, in complete violation of their own terms of use, claiming "suspicion of fraud.".

Customer service runs the gamut from ineffective to abusive -- they repeatedly claim to be "whitelisting" your declined card and it will be usable "after two hours" -- a lie most of the time -- explained away later by "oh the person who whitelisted did it wrong." Repeatedly. It's a scam. They block money transfers into your own bank account arbitrarily, even when you are at your own local bank while a bank officer attempts it. They will unblock your account briefly, then block it again, with no explanation.

On the phone with them, hold times are typically 1/2 an hour to an hour or more -- that is when they don't just hang up. Customer service reps appear to be instructed to obfuscate, abuse, gaslight -- as one encounters the same obvious tricks over and over -- for example speed mumbling so you must ask them to slow down, and then they shout "you're talking over me" and hang up. With a past problem, resolution was only obtained when Direct Express contacted me in response to a complaint on the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU website. Now that Comerica and Conduent have somehow convinced the BBB they are above scrutiny, they are back to their old disgraceful thuggery.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Horrible Fraud Resolution. We had a fraudulent charge on our account. It took them several weeks to "investigate" and once they finally returned the money withdrawn fraudulently, we had to argue with them another several days to get the insufficient fee charges reversed. Just awful, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Use any other bank.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I made a mistake and overpaid my credit card balance in March 2022. In an email from customer service they agreed to send me a check for the amount I overpaid. 6 weeks have gone by no check and no help on the phone or email. I received a letter from them stating they transferred the money owed to me electronically to my financial institution. What! They will not tell me where they sent my money! I have spoken to numerous agents and none of them ever heard of such a thing and told me this payment was refunded but can not see where it went. I have requested any and all tracking on this (check) but I have not heard anything. Not a small amount either $1158.48.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Horrible bank that will rob you of your hard earned money, three overdraft fees because of one overdrawn item. 9 dollar ice cream on debit card cost me a 38 dollar overdraft fee when I had the funds in there, they pay the bigger amounts first. They should be shut down.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

The support was great with no ads and I found what I was looking for. There is nothing wrong with this website plus I enjoyed it. Please help me a little more to improve to community but other than that it's been good so far.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

After repeated attempts to notify they are sending mail to the wrong address, they will not correct it. Now they won't even answer the phone. Totally ignored here. I will go further to say rather than poor customer service, THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Held, this line more tines than I'd like to count. Horrible customer service. Fuzzy math, they've allowed illegal transaction also. For no reason the card stops working... Then you slide it one too many times, boom, automatic 24 hour denial of transactions. Which is common. I think they're going belly up. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

Was visiting New York from Michigan and had a car accident. My car was told to do different shots. My card was in the car and was compromised over several different days when I did not have access to my car or purse or cards. My bank card and my Direct Express Card were both used during this time. I was not aware of this because I did not need to use them when I finally got my car back. Also during this time I had gotten the flu or covid or something and was very sick the whole time I was there and he been driving back home.

Anyway when I got home I was paying some bills and found that my Direct Express Card balance was $2,000 for so short and my bank was a little over $300 short. Filed the disputes and my regular Bank was temporarily credited and a new debit card was shipped shutting off the one I had. The Comerica Direct Express Card was never even shut off or was another one sent. I was using it in Michigan still for gas et cetera until finally after a third phone call to find out they said to me didn't even send you a new card and I said no. So a new one was finally sent overnight.

After their investigation was complete which took forever and with hardly any communication with me other than email oh, the case was closed and I was notified there was no wrongdoing. Really? 30-something uses of my debit card at machines in the town that I was visiting and most of them right before and right after midnight over and over so that they could use it to the daily allowance and then use it again after midnight for $200 withdrawals. I was never sent the form to fill out or anything. My regular Bank permanently refunded my money within a week or so. Not even allowed to speak to the fraud department at Comerica.

I wish that I could hear from some people and file a class action lawsuit because this is $2,000 of my disability money that I need to live on. I called Social Security about this more than once. I can't understand why they still uses form of giving people their benefits for Social Security or disability. I have switched so my money just not go in there anymore as of this month and still have not been successful in finding out how to take all of my money out and put it in my bank without being charged for each ATM withdrawal. Anyone join my legal action against this company. How do I contact people to do so.

Original review: July 4, 2021

No phone # on back of card. Goprogram.com would not let me register. I fear it will not be funded when It should be. # associated DOES NOT have a LIVE PERSON, RECORDED INFO only. What if Comerica Bank errs? "Yes there are fees for calling customer service.".. Why are there so many fees? I should be happy at least I got my card, the benefits are starting this week and some people have yet to get the card... Shameful.

Comerica Bank Company Information