Detroit, MI

4.0/5 (243 ratings)

About Comerica Bank

Comerica Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

I've had a business account with Comerica for several years, but never used it due to multiple factors; 1) They always have log-in issues, 2) Their customer service agents act as if they just started today with no training, 3) They asked silly and impossible security verification questions like, what year did you open your account!, 4) Each time you call an agent will tell you something completely different. * They put my account in a "Shuttable" status due to inactivity. When I tried to close the account they kept telling me to drive to the nearest location 50 miles away. * They are holding my balance hostage & earning interest. How many more customers are they defrauding???

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

This bank stole my money, $1000 disappeared from my account with no explanation, they never gave me a credible explanation, they robbed me, money disappears from your account, the worst bank ever, I never had problems with a bank like this, horrible everything, they steal your money, they disappear the money from your account and then they invent a whole story, This bank steals from its clients the money that does not belong to them, they are brazen thieves.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

If you want decent customer service, an efficient mobile app, fair fees, and fair treatment—look elsewhere. They have an antiquated mobile app. Their customer service is only available during business hours unless it’s technical support. If you do happen to need technical support you get the same sarcastic guy after hours. Their automated system is also a dinosaur and keeps repeating only one option no matter what you say and how clearly you say it. Overdraft protection is only for those with a checking account or one of their credit cards. Expect stellar credit to obtain that card. And expect to get hit with a lot of OD fees due to their slow as molasses system where they lack the instant bank to bank transfers of their competitors.

Original review: July 31, 2022

I cannot currently access my Social Security funds using my Direct Express debit card to pay rent and buy essential medications and food. Like many elderly, disabled, poor I rely on this money to live day to day. Three weeks now they have refused me free access to my account. If you contact US government offices re the abuse and fraud connected with the Direct Express debit card business model, they will tell you to contact Direct Express, so it seems contrary to what the BBB is claiming, Direct Express is not in fact a government program. The card apparently is issued by COMERICA BANK who partners with a company called CONDUENT to service the accounts. Between them they block accounts arbitrarily without warning or notification, in complete violation of their own terms of use, claiming "suspicion of fraud.".

Customer service runs the gamut from ineffective to abusive -- they repeatedly claim to be "whitelisting" your declined card and it will be usable "after two hours" -- a lie most of the time -- explained away later by "oh the person who whitelisted did it wrong." Repeatedly. It's a scam. They block money transfers into your own bank account arbitrarily, even when you are at your own local bank while a bank officer attempts it. They will unblock your account briefly, then block it again, with no explanation.

On the phone with them, hold times are typically 1/2 an hour to an hour or more -- that is when they don't just hang up. Customer service reps appear to be instructed to obfuscate, abuse, gaslight -- as one encounters the same obvious tricks over and over -- for example speed mumbling so you must ask them to slow down, and then they shout "you're talking over me" and hang up. With a past problem, resolution was only obtained when Direct Express contacted me in response to a complaint on the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU website. Now that Comerica and Conduent have somehow convinced the BBB they are above scrutiny, they are back to their old disgraceful thuggery.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Horrible Fraud Resolution. We had a fraudulent charge on our account. It took them several weeks to "investigate" and once they finally returned the money withdrawn fraudulently, we had to argue with them another several days to get the insufficient fee charges reversed. Just awful, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Use any other bank.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I made a mistake and overpaid my credit card balance in March 2022. In an email from customer service they agreed to send me a check for the amount I overpaid. 6 weeks have gone by no check and no help on the phone or email. I received a letter from them stating they transferred the money owed to me electronically to my financial institution. What! They will not tell me where they sent my money! I have spoken to numerous agents and none of them ever heard of such a thing and told me this payment was refunded but can not see where it went. I have requested any and all tracking on this (check) but I have not heard anything. Not a small amount either $1158.48.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Horrible bank that will rob you of your hard earned money, three overdraft fees because of one overdrawn item. 9 dollar ice cream on debit card cost me a 38 dollar overdraft fee when I had the funds in there, they pay the bigger amounts first. They should be shut down.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

The support was great with no ads and I found what I was looking for. There is nothing wrong with this website plus I enjoyed it. Please help me a little more to improve to community but other than that it's been good so far.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

After repeated attempts to notify they are sending mail to the wrong address, they will not correct it. Now they won't even answer the phone. Totally ignored here. I will go further to say rather than poor customer service, THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Held, this line more tines than I'd like to count. Horrible customer service. Fuzzy math, they've allowed illegal transaction also. For no reason the card stops working... Then you slide it one too many times, boom, automatic 24 hour denial of transactions. Which is common. I think they're going belly up. Beware!

Comerica Bank Company Information