Comerica Bank

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Comerica Bank

Comerica Bank is a financial institution headquartered in Dallas, Texas. Founded in 1849, it operates in Arizona, California, Florida, Michigan and Texas and has branch locations scattered throughout these states. While Comerica Bank is a full-service institution with a breadth of services, including personal and business banking, most of its bank accounts have high monthly fees if you can’t meet the minimum requirements.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Full-service financial institution
  • A few branch locations
  • Low opening deposit requirements
Cons
  • High monthly fees
  • Low interest rates on deposit accounts

Comerica Bank Reviews

Stars Rating

• 12%
  • 16%
  • 6%
  • 1%
  • 65%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comerica Bank?

Reviewed July 2, 2023

I wish I could tell you. Direct Express denies access to fund or online acct without notice or warning. Never gives a valid reason. I'm in trouble right now. I'm completely out of money and I can't even find out why. It can't be legal to deny SS funds to disabled seniors.

Staff

Reviewed June 15, 2023

My mother is in a nursing home, and somebody had ordered 15 DoorDash orders in one day. Their fraud department did not catch this nor did they return the money to my mother, refusing to give the money back. This is very unprofessional. We are definitely closing my mother’s account because she is disabled and they’re stealing her money and the fraud department will do nothing about it, you don’t even have to be that bright to look at this and say it’s fraudulent. My mother has banked with this bank for over 30 years. She will not be a returning customer.

Reviewed March 3, 2023

Can't believe they're still running in business to continue to mess with people's money and messing around all these years. I rather go back to Paper Checks that I can count on all the time with no problems.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Dec. 27, 2022

I've had a business account with Comerica for several years, but never used it due to multiple factors; 1) They always have log-in issues, 2) Their customer service agents act as if they just started today with no training, 3) They asked silly and impossible security verification questions like, what year did you open your account!, 4) Each time you call an agent will tell you something completely different. * They put my account in a "Shuttable" status due to inactivity. When I tried to close the account they kept telling me to drive to the nearest location 50 miles away. * They are holding my balance hostage & earning interest. How many more customers are they defrauding???

Reviewed Sept. 2, 2022

If you want decent customer service, an efficient mobile app, fair fees, and fair treatment—look elsewhere. They have an antiquated mobile app. Their customer service is only available during business hours unless it’s technical support. If you do happen to need technical support you get the same sarcastic guy after hours. Their automated system is also a dinosaur and keeps repeating only one option no matter what you say and how clearly you say it. Overdraft protection is only for those with a checking account or one of their credit cards. Expect stellar credit to obtain that card. And expect to get hit with a lot of OD fees due to their slow as molasses system where they lack the instant bank to bank transfers of their competitors.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed July 31, 2022

I cannot currently access my Social Security funds using my Direct Express debit card to pay rent and buy essential medications and food. Like many elderly, disabled, poor I rely on this money to live day to day. Three weeks now they have refused me free access to my account. If you contact US government offices re the abuse and fraud connected with the Direct Express debit card business model, they will tell you to contact Direct Express, so it seems contrary to what the BBB is claiming, Direct Express is not in fact a government program. The card apparently is issued by COMERICA BANK who partners with a company called CONDUENT to service the accounts. Between them they block accounts arbitrarily without warning or notification, in complete violation of their own terms of use, claiming "suspicion of fraud.".

Customer service runs the gamut from ineffective to abusive -- they repeatedly claim to be "whitelisting" your declined card and it will be usable "after two hours" -- a lie most of the time -- explained away later by "oh the person who whitelisted did it wrong." Repeatedly. It's a scam. They block money transfers into your own bank account arbitrarily, even when you are at your own local bank while a bank officer attempts it. They will unblock your account briefly, then block it again, with no explanation.

On the phone with them, hold times are typically 1/2 an hour to an hour or more -- that is when they don't just hang up. Customer service reps appear to be instructed to obfuscate, abuse, gaslight -- as one encounters the same obvious tricks over and over -- for example speed mumbling so you must ask them to slow down, and then they shout "you're talking over me" and hang up. With a past problem, resolution was only obtained when Direct Express contacted me in response to a complaint on the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU website. Now that Comerica and Conduent have somehow convinced the BBB they are above scrutiny, they are back to their old disgraceful thuggery.

Reviewed May 27, 2022

Horrible Fraud Resolution. We had a fraudulent charge on our account. It took them several weeks to "investigate" and once they finally returned the money withdrawn fraudulently, we had to argue with them another several days to get the insufficient fee charges reversed. Just awful, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Use any other bank.

Reviewed May 11, 2022

I made a mistake and overpaid my credit card balance in March 2022. In an email from customer service they agreed to send me a check for the amount I overpaid. 6 weeks have gone by no check and no help on the phone or email. I received a letter from them stating they transferred the money owed to me electronically to my financial institution. What! They will not tell me where they sent my money! I have spoken to numerous agents and none of them ever heard of such a thing and told me this payment was refunded but can not see where it went. I have requested any and all tracking on this (check) but I have not heard anything. Not a small amount either $1158.48.

Price

Reviewed Nov. 27, 2021

Horrible bank that will rob you of your hard earned money, three overdraft fees because of one overdrawn item. 9 dollar ice cream on debit card cost me a 38 dollar overdraft fee when I had the funds in there, they pay the bigger amounts first. They should be shut down.

Sales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Nov. 7, 2021

The support was great with no ads and I found what I was looking for. There is nothing wrong with this website plus I enjoyed it. Please help me a little more to improve to community but other than that it's been good so far.

Reviewed Oct. 27, 2021

After repeated attempts to notify they are sending mail to the wrong address, they will not correct it. Now they won't even answer the phone. Totally ignored here. I will go further to say rather than poor customer service, THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Verified purchase

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2021

Held, this line more tines than I'd like to count. Horrible customer service. Fuzzy math, they've allowed illegal transaction also. For no reason the card stops working... Then you slide it one too many times, boom, automatic 24 hour denial of transactions. Which is common. I think they're going belly up. Beware!

Reviewed Sept. 1, 2021

Was visiting New York from Michigan and had a car accident. My car was told to do different shots. My card was in the car and was compromised over several different days when I did not have access to my car or purse or cards. My bank card and my Direct Express Card were both used during this time. I was not aware of this because I did not need to use them when I finally got my car back. Also during this time I had gotten the flu or covid or something and was very sick the whole time I was there and he been driving back home.

Anyway when I got home I was paying some bills and found that my Direct Express Card balance was $2,000 for so short and my bank was a little over $300 short. Filed the disputes and my regular Bank was temporarily credited and a new debit card was shipped shutting off the one I had. The Comerica Direct Express Card was never even shut off or was another one sent. I was using it in Michigan still for gas et cetera until finally after a third phone call to find out they said to me didn't even send you a new card and I said no. So a new one was finally sent overnight.

After their investigation was complete which took forever and with hardly any communication with me other than email oh, the case was closed and I was notified there was no wrongdoing. Really? 30-something uses of my debit card at machines in the town that I was visiting and most of them right before and right after midnight over and over so that they could use it to the daily allowance and then use it again after midnight for $200 withdrawals. I was never sent the form to fill out or anything. My regular Bank permanently refunded my money within a week or so. Not even allowed to speak to the fraud department at Comerica.

I wish that I could hear from some people and file a class action lawsuit because this is $2,000 of my disability money that I need to live on. I called Social Security about this more than once. I can't understand why they still uses form of giving people their benefits for Social Security or disability. I have switched so my money just not go in there anymore as of this month and still have not been successful in finding out how to take all of my money out and put it in my bank without being charged for each ATM withdrawal. Anyone join my legal action against this company. How do I contact people to do so.

Reviewed July 4, 2021

No phone # on back of card. Goprogram.com would not let me register. I fear it will not be funded when It should be. # associated DOES NOT have a LIVE PERSON, RECORDED INFO only. What if Comerica Bank errs? "Yes there are fees for calling customer service.".. Why are there so many fees? I should be happy at least I got my card, the benefits are starting this week and some people have yet to get the card... Shameful.

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed July 3, 2021

I had a check stolen from the mailbox - the thief changed the name and amount, for $1,500- and cashed it the same day it was electronically deposited into a Chase Bank account! I filed a claim one day after when I found out! The result? I had to close my account, wait for new checks, (3 weeks later) and the Comerica fraud dept. informed me my claim may take up to 120 days?? Well it has been over a month, no word, no response. I have had a business account with them for over 10 years, no interest checking, bad service, a manager who is always pretending to be busy whenever I am in the bank. They ignore customers, refuse to stand up to my fraud claim- don't they have insurance for matters like this? I am 60 years old and have never had a situation where the bank ignores the customer and passes the responsibility and refuses to respond.

Reviewed April 10, 2021

I have been a Comerica customer since the Detroit Bank and Trust days- many decades. Each year, their customer service deteriorates even more. The “customer service” people aren’t even courteous anymore. They are unprofessional and uncaring. My blood is boiling. My debit card was declined and I am traveling. The agent said she didn’t show any record of the card being declined and implied that it was my error. She said I should have asked the clerk for assistance. Frankly, at that point, I was too embarrassed. What happened to customer empathy? Thanks for nothing. I’ve had enough of Comerica!!

Reviewed March 27, 2021

Worst banking ever. I have a Credit card merchant machine that I’ve owned for three months and never worked. I’ve contacted the bank and customer service over 50 times and I’m still at the same position with the same machine. Worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with any years. Also slowing me down And messing up my business financially.

Staff

Reviewed March 18, 2021

The stimulus money was released from the U.S. Treasury last week. Where the hell is my money? I got bills to pay. Making disabled people wait is wrong. Need to have an actual person to talk to not a machine when talking about money. Now send out the stimulus checks

Reviewed March 16, 2021

Very disappointed with Comerica. They put me in foreclosures 2 times. Charging me $20.00 in maintenance fees. Lost my husband of 40 yrs. Income went down a lot. Had to sell house and file bankruptcy. Tried closing.

Reviewed Feb. 24, 2021

This is an absolute joke of a bank. Unhelpful and unfriendly customer service, a TERRIBLE phone system that never lets you go through to an actual agent, and a dated website with frequent outages (don't even get me started on their app—it would get a C- on a high school programming test). Beyond that, their rates are seriously noncompetitive. To call Comerica a dumpster fire is actually quite accurate, because saving your money here is equivalent to burning it. Comerica is the bank you use because it's the bank your parents used. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2021

This is a "RIP-OFF" institution! I received a Way2Go card because I just became unemployed. I DID NOT sign up for this card but somehow it defaulted to it. When I received it, I made a cash advance at my bank so that I could put it into my account for bills. Comerica Bank charged me a $3.00 for each withdrawal (2 in total) and this now, as insignificant as the amount may seem, deducts from bills that still need to be paid! I am disgusted that an institution would take $$ from the unemployed in this pandemic. SHAME ON YOU!!! My rating for this bank is sub-zero stars!! They make you select at least one star - but I'd go with flames instead if I could.

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2021

I signed up through Social Security for Direct Express Card. Why can't I have access to my account#? This was one red flag. The connection between the card and Social Security is a total disaster like milk and water. One doesn't know what the other is doing. I've had my card since September. It never connected with Social Security. One important thing to me is good customer service. This means being knowledgeable about your merchandise. Big hassle commuting back, and forth. The two should be connected. I thought my account was set up, but it's wasn't. I had to hustle information from them. It's not worth the headache. I'm trying to locate an deposit that was sent from IRS. They said they can't give it to me.... You can't give me my account#? No. Can't deal with that. I'm the customer. Why not? This doesn't make sense. So therefore will find another Bank for my direct deposit.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2020

Wow, have a Savings and checking. Opened 2 months ago. Locked out of Web access EVERY other day!!! Impossible to see my accounts. Super difficult to unlock with a horrible phone Bot that never works and if I wait for real person? the phone hangs up or it goes on and on. Then while I had 3.5k in my checking they charged my low balance savings INTO overdraft, I had zero in it due to being locked out of my account with no way to transfer. So then they charge $6 per day on the savings account for the $10 maintenance fee THEY put on it to sink it into the RED. I was pretty mad, went to the local branch and they reversed the charge, but still.

I've also had embarrassing debit card turn downs on amounts as low as $7 with thousands in my account. I'm so sick of them I now keep my funds in my Tdameritrade where I can see it! This Bank is absurd. I'm moving over to Chase at huge inconvenience in setting up all the links etc., but it would be foolish to continue with a bank which obviously cares nothing about the common customer and only about lucrative distributions of federal stimulus money. One final note - the average bank employees are super nice. This has everything to do with corporate!

Reviewed Oct. 10, 2020

2 months ago I told them that I had 5 purchases on my card that were not mine. Today they sent me a letter denying my claim. I have been on the phone with them for 3 hours a day. Nothing gets done. They don't look into no claims at all. They are frauds.

Reviewed Sept. 20, 2020

I attempted to get into my account twice using the wrong password. I then realized what I was doing and on the third attempt, I had the right password and attempted to log in. I was locked out of my account. However, there is absolutely no one to talk to for help on the weekends. I have to wait until Monday, full of anxiety, in order to talk to someone and get me unlocked! Not happy. Never heard of a bank not offering live customer service over the weekend.

Reviewed Sept. 9, 2020

I opened this account just a few days ago. I inadvertently put in a wrong number and got locked out online. Phone calls say I have to wait 45 minutes to an hour before speaking to someone. Can't get ahold of them any other way. I am a senior who no longer drives and depends on the internet to conduct business. I just switched my Social Security direct deposit over to them because I am trying to qualify for a $200 bonus for opening a new account. I seriously don't think it's worth it. I may shut down this account and stay with my current Chase account. They are much easier to deal with.

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2020

I just made my bank account not even a week ago and I got locked out of my own banking app. I have no access to my money right now during Labor Day weekend.. I'm not banking with this bank any longer. On Tuesday when the bank opens up I'm withdrawing all my money and taking it to another bank that I can trust. Does not deserve not one single star.

Reviewed July 8, 2020

My debit card was stolen. I filed a police report and submitted it with a dispute form and a copy of all the transactions. They stole $1700 which is my SS. I was told there were no errors. You can rarely get through to customer service. I escalated the problem and received the same answer. What avenues are available to me since it’s FDIC?

Reviewed July 4, 2020

Found a Comerica debit card in the street. Called the number on the back to report it and they didn't take the name or number of the card much less cancel it or contact their customer. Made me sick. They actually told me, "you should have left it in the street." Seriously? I could do some damage with just the card if I was like that. The gal said, "I'm sure it's cancelled." How do you know, you didn't take any of the information!!!!

Reviewed June 3, 2020

We were lead to believe that our account authorized personnel was updated per our request while it was not. We repeatedly asked for an on-line access to our account, and one month later we still are not able to access our own account. Now, we are considering to bring legal into the matter. This is how bad things with Comerica business accounts are.

Comerica Bank Company Information