1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 20, 2018

39 Citizens Auto Finance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 20, 2018

Citizens Auto Finance is a horrible company. They have contracted all things title and liens out to another horrible company called My Title Support. That makes 2 horrible companies that customers will have to deal with. They are horrible because they blame one another when objectively they are both incompetent. I have never experienced such runaround. All I want is my dang lien release so I can sell a car that has been paid off for 7 years. They mailed it without verifying my address, claim that they sent a second one to the correct address but after 3 weeks it has not arrived.

I called Citizens directly and was told that they no record of me and maybe I have the wrong company or something blah blah. I called the BBB of Sacramento and they informed me that the gov has two suits against them (only two?), I'm planning on calling the AG’s office to see if they can help. If it comes to it I guess I will be shelling out big cash for a lawyer to file a court order... all for some silly lien. I fantasize now about some massive class action lawsuit against them and they would be like the wicked witch being crushed by Dorothy’s house. I appreciate the reviews I've read on this site.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I recently requested a duplicate copy of my car's title from the state. I was notified that my car had a lien placed on it by Citizens Bank so they could not issue a copy of my title. My car was fully paid off nine years ago, without ever having any problems over the course of my loan!! When I contacted Citizens Bank, I was placed on hold for no less than 50 minutes! When someone finally came on, they advised me that they couldn't tell me why there was a lien, but the only way to satisfy it was to contact a company called mytitlesupport.com. Take it or leave it. NO DISCUSSION POSSIBLE! I then contacted mytitlesupport.com on the phone, and was advised they also had no idea what the lien was for and also could not discuss it. However they could send a satisfaction of lien notice to Citizens Bank for a payment of $30.00!!!

I asked how they could satisfy the lien without knowing what it is for and I was met with total silence. To top it all off, after paying them $30.00 over the phone, they advised the only way to actually get my new title, is that they will send through US Postal Service a document stating the lien has been satisfied, and then I will have to mail this piece of paper to my state government office to finally receive a copy of my title. No electronic transfer possible!! This process will take two to three weeks!!! I have a buyer for my car that needs to register it now!!! This should be illegal!! It is a total money making scam. Why isn't this classified as theft??? Both companies are working together to obtain a payment for paid off loans. I see on this review page that this is very common. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT???

Get expert buying tips about Auto Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I purchased a new vehicle in 2007. Financed with this bank. The vehicle was paid off in 2012 or 2013, I had a runaround with them trying to get the title. I was sent to Mytitlesupport.com a company they work with to get a title. The vehicle was PAID OFF and I paid to get a title through Mytitlesupport. In 2018 I used the vehicle as collateral for a small loan and my bank told me I didn’t have a clear title. I called the ** number and had an unbelievable runaround again. The lady I spoke with found my account and it showed that they had not released the lien after 5 or more years of the vehicle being paid off.

I was then told to call back in a week to make sure she had done her job and had the lien released. I call back. The first person finds my account via my SSN, I’m put on hold for the vehicle finance division, when the man answers he says he has no record with that social. After one person finds it suddenly he can’t. I was furious with the incompetence of this company and them sending me to their title company to pay again and again for their lack of ethics. Worst experience with any company I have ever had.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Completely incompetent. It has been over a month since I have purchased my vehicle. I have yet to receive anything from them to register my new truck. They sent the wrong document to the DMV. Who does that? They won't talk to you on the phone unless you are the account holder. I'm just trying to register my vehicle and I can't. I've never heard of anything like this. Complete joke. Pull it together.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I paid off my car and told literally 4 different people my new address to send the title. A month went by and of course the title was sent to the address I had 6 years prior. Because Citizens One screwed up they claimed they would send me a duplicate title. I called back 2 months later and they said they can't send me a duplicate title and I would have to get on my own. I called a third time for the lien release and never received that. 4 calls including speaking to a supervisor and 4 months later I have not received a lien release and now will have to pay for a duplicate title for their incompetence. Very aggravated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Truly an incompetent agency. I needed something as simple as a copy of the title on lien through them. Not asking for the title itself, just simple proof of the lien for the DMV. They said it was against bank policy and directed me to a third party that was equally incompetent and repeatedly directed me back and forth between them and the bank. So because of a moronic policy, I am unable to get to the DMV to register my vehicle. I am immediately refinancing to USAA to avoid ever having to deal with Citizens again.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My parents are both disabled. They fell into hard times. My mom had a major stroke with a terrible brain injury along with it. She was skipping bills. So I took over last month. I intercepted the mail and received a loan statement that was high but not anything near horrid. I paid $500 towards it. Citizens cashed the check. Yesterday my parents’ car was repossessed. So thank you Citizens One. You're a great company. No warning. Nothing. I called the bank today. Terrible customer service. Stone cold service. I'm going to have them refinance their car. This is ridiculous. No need for stupidity.

Now the tow yard the truck is in has the "right" to ship the car to any place the bank wants. I'm in MA. They said as far as PA!!! What?!?! I'm so upset. I'm their Caretaker and I'm disabled on top of it due to a major car accident back in 2005. I do my best. But this company didn't and or wouldn't help at all. Sneaky shysters. Watch out. This is a warning to you reviewers!! I hope this message finds everyone well. And please don't be as naive as my parents were. Listen to all of these negative remarks. I doubt we’re all stretching the truth. RUN!!

Original review: July 20, 2017

I always pay on time every month. In April I was in an accident that totaled my car. Thankfully my insurance and GAP covered everything and within 3 months paid everything with 4 large checks. Citizens reported me for late payment even though I kept close communication with them about the claim process and when the check were coming in. They received over $7,000 within 2 months, makes no sense why they would report me. They acted very uninterested in my troubles every time I called, I even sent them an email a week ago and have received no response. If I'm in the wrong for whatever technicality I understand, but their uncaring attitude makes me not ever want to do business with this institution.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Bought my car in Ohio, paid it off when I moved to California. They NEVER sent me the title, it took hours on the phone to find it and then I had to PAY FOR THE TITLE. I called Citizens to try to locate the title and find out why I had not received a copy. The woman I spoke to at Citizens (Karina) was rude and not customer focused. She kept saying how busy she was and then hung up on me when I asked to speak with a supervisor. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS GROUP AGAIN. They need to train their customer service people to be customer oriented. The fact that I paid the car off and now have to pay for the title of the car I own is ludicrous. No one at Citizens knew how to help me find the location of the title. They are awful.

Original review: April 24, 2017

I have had this loan since 2008, never once paid late. Every now and then, this bank decides to call and harass me like I'm some kind of deadbeat. Happened again today. My payment is due on the 20th, I ALWAYS make it by the 27th. Here it is the 24th and they call being EXTREMELY rude asking "when is the payment coming", "we are in Collections", "how much are you sending and when", on and on and on. It is TOTAL harassment. I will NEVER EVER do business with them again. Completely unprofessional company and people!

Original review: March 15, 2017

Throughout the loan, terrible customer service. No one has answers. Always transferring you to someone else, and blaming each other. Dropped calls after holding long periods of time. I was on electronic auto pay, yet they said I missed payments and tried to charge me late fees. This is a scam operation hoping you don't check your account so they can steal money from you. Icing on the cake, I paid my loan off and never received the "letter of lien release". Then they made me pay a fee to a 3rd party title company to send the information. Terrible service, rude supervisors, unethical practices. I would rate lower than one star if that was possible.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I paid my car off 16 months ago and never received my title. Thinking it got lost in the mail or something, I went to the state building to get a new title and the state tells me that there is a lien on my vehicle. I call RBS and they are telling to call mytitlesupport.com. This company is telling me that I have to call RBS to have the lien released from my car. Meanwhile, they are not releasing the lien from my car but yet one company blaming another.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

Purchased different car with dealership sending payoff check to Citizens Auto Finance. They did not post in timely manner and said they did not get check. Dealership issued another check sent overnight. Was told by Citizens that loan was paid in full but another payment was taken from auto payment. Week later they said loan was not paid, check was stopped payment. This was totally due to their inability to post payoff in time to prevent mix-up. I talked to supervisor. Assigned to another top dog and was told it would be cleared up and my refund for over payment would be soon. Three months later and still not resolved. Cannot believe this company is still in business. Story is much more sordid than this but don't have enough room to tell all. Bottom line, do not do business with this bank. Overall it was nightmare and still not resolved after three months.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

The car under the loan was totaled, so the insurance company needed a copy, just a copy, of the title in order to pay off the remaining balance. I called Citizens at least 10 times within 2 weeks, asking them to fax the title copy. 4/10 of the customer services representatives told me that this wasn't allowed and kept telling me that I was wrong. I had to speak to 3 supervisors and only one supervisor was able to meet my request by personally faxing the copy herself. Worst customer service experience I have ever experienced. Not only did it take forever for them to solve my problem, it appears that none of the representatives really know the correct answer to whether faxing a title copy is allowed or not!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I had 2 car loans for my daughters, in both cases once a year for both loans, they would conveniently lose a payment. Both loans were paid using the same automatic payment through my bank, yet once a year the system that worked 11 times a year wouldn't work for the 12th. Be aware of their systems ability to generate revenue by losing a payment and then trying to charge a late fee for THEIR system. I have paid off both loans early to just get away from their dishonest business practices. Once is an error, the same month and time for four years on two loans, hmmm.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

As I'll be going out of country for a vacation, I was trying to reach out to the customer service to make sure my car payments are done on time since they hit your credit score for every little thing. I have realized that all the numbers they provide on their pay statements and website get forwarded to automatic machine without an option to talk to a real person. This is the worst experience I've had with any customer service ever.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

Do not use this company, they are horrible. My first payment was to be paid by the dealership where I bought my car. They sent the check to the address that was provided to them by customer service. The check was returned, they called again and got a different address and again the check was returned. I call the customer service with the dealership on the phone and a manager named James gave dealership the payment address. This was a week ago. Today when I called they still haven't received the payment, and it was sent certified.

So to keep my payment for being late, I went online and made the payment myself and have the confirmation number. Called customer service. Spoke with Patty, stated they still not showing payment received. I asked her to put the confirmation number in the notes to let them see where I have paid, she says they are unable to do that... What kind of mess is that? They are terrible, I advise you to not get involved with them. I'm at work but will be working on refinancing with another company. I will not be going through this hassle every month. SO PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE. They are the worst ever... Trust me on this.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I contacted Citizens Auto Finance and requested a payment history and a running principal balance for my auto loan. The vehicle was total in a accident and the Gap Insurance was in need of the requested documents. The customer service representative advise me that it would take 7 to 10 business days to mail the documents to me. I advised Citizens Auto Finance that it was imperative that I received the documents within a day. The representative was unconcern about the situation and could only repeat that the document must be mailed using regular mail with the post office. I asked to speak with a supervisor only to get more agitated with the response. I inquired if the document could be emailed or mailed overnight and was told no. She stated to me that because of security reason the document could only be mailed regular mail.

Are they not aware that emails could be sent secured or that a envelope that's mailed overnight is more secured than regular mail, because of the tracking system, as well as, the requirement for a signature when delivered. The supervisor also stated that I could sign up for online banking to retrieve the document, however, when I asked her would it be the document that I need, she stated she didn't think so. The supervisor stated that if the insurance company called, they could provide them the information needed.

When I question why is it that they could provide information to the insurance company, but not to the customer because of security reasons, she quickly change it to, if the insurance company call they would give them the information verbally. What good would that do? What I don't understand is why a business would not try to accommodate a good customer to ensure that the customer is satisfied in a effort to retain the customer for future business. Citizens One Auto Finance is being very difficult which would eventually cost me money for a solution that would take minutes to solve. I believe they stall on providing the documents, because it means more money in interest to them. I would not do business with Citizens One Auto Finance again and I am going to tell everyone about Citizens One Auto Finance practices.

Original review: July 19, 2016

My car was totaled on June 1, 2016. I have been working feverishly with my Gap insurance to pay the car off. Everything is in order except they need a payment history from Citizens. I made 3 different request and still have never received it. In addition to the June payment and late fees I will now owe for July. I am at my wits end for I don't know what else to do to obtain the document I need to have this vehicle paid off. I have good credit and want to keep it that way but I refuse to continue making monthly payments on a car I don't have any longer and Citizens is holding back on providing me with this simple document that will end this all. I want to pay the balance I owe and have the check from Gap to pay the difference. I don't know where to turn.

Original review: June 6, 2016

So I took out a small loan about 6 months ago to build my credit in the hopes that I could get a new vehicle. Now one everyone was friendly and nice in the beginning but now things changed. I contacted Margot a few months prior to touch bases about my new car. All I was told was "I told you 6 months. It's only your fourth. Get a couple more payments and we will talk..." Personally I think this was rude as hell. She was so short with me and very uninterested. So I knew that someone like this WOULDN'T ever finance a car that's actually worth wild.

So 2 more months go by and I literally scoured the Internet for months looking for a nice piece of ** that would be acceptable for this complete liar to finance. I make almost 60,000 a yr but my credit is complete ** so I know what to expect. I asked for 6000 for a "new car" that was still 11 yrs old. I was told no LOL that the car was too high end... Wow it must be because I'm ** because she then proceeds to say "I will finance any other SUV for that price but not a BMW." I think that is a total crock of **. I mean TBH any 6000 car that's over 10 yrs old will in all likely breakdown. Which is understandable and definitely a cause for concern when financing, but I truly think she don't want to see a ** man doing good.

I just can't understand why on earth my loan would be denied when I virtually met all the nonexistent criteria and still get ** on. I think egotistical ** with bias hate for others should not make decisions for others. Now I'm stuck with this loan that I really didn't need for nothing because at the end of the day I still don't have a new car and I wouldn't finance a pair of shoes from this place.

Original review: April 18, 2016

I paid my car loan in full in January 2016. After paying my loan, I received a letter stating my loan was paid in full and my car title would be arriving shortly. After 2 months, I did not receive my car title and contacted Citizens One Auto Finance. I was told my car title was mailed out at the end of January. However, I never received my car title via the mail. Citizens One then sent me a letter for a Release of Lien to take to the driver's bureau to request a duplicate title. I contacted the DMV in my state and was informed it would cost $95 to obtain a duplicate title. I contacted Citizens One again and was told there was nothing they could do about it and they made a million excuses as to why I didn't receive my title and even accused me of losing the title. I was courteous via the phone and explained multiple times that I never received the title via mail. I am very disappointed with Citizens One.

After financing a car for over $20k, they can't even get the title to me and now it's going to cost me an additional $95 to obtain the title to my car because Citizens One can't properly mail my title to my residence. I am looking to purchase another car soon but after my experience with customer service at Citizens One, I will never finance a loan with them again. I have now read multiple reviews on Citizens One and it appears I am not the only one that has had difficulty obtaining my title after paying off the loan. Poor customer service and a very difficult company to work with. All I want from Citizens One is to mail me a copy of my title as they should have done when the car loan was paid in full instead of giving me the runaround on the phone. Truly disappointed, frustrated and upset with a company that does not value their customers as evidenced by the treatment I have received.

Original review: March 17, 2016

I have the same problem with Citizens Bank Auto Finance. Paid off the loan over 8 years ago. Do not remember getting a lien release letter. Now I was given a website to get assistance. The fee is $30.00??? Do anyone have the website???

Original review: March 16, 2016

If you choose this bank to finance a new vehicle you can easily run into major problems when you wish to pay them electronically through your bank and not use their login portal. Our problem with Citizens Auto Finance arose when the paper checks that our bank mails from our Bill Pay portal would arrive late. When the late payment fees are triggered and calculated, you CANNOT pay these fees using your lending institutions electronic bill-pay. Instead, their systems automatically apply the payments you make to your principal. Anything extra you pay to make things right are NOT applied to the late fees and things keep racking up. What this does is cause a compounding problem that starts adding up and generating more and more late fees.

While consumers think they are paying their bills and squaring away debt obligations, Citizen's is just applying it where they want to and not changing your next month's payment OR your late fees owed. We were told that we must resort to sending them traditional paper checks with clear instructions on the checks to apply our funds to our late fees otherwise they do not have the capability with their systems to apply the funds from bill pay checks. I find this absolutely ridiculous that financial institution who is in the business of lending, counting and collecting money has such an antiquated and inefficient way of doing business. We have financed a lot of vehicles the last 20 years. If a dealer ever brings this company up as an option I will gladly walk out of the dealer. Screw these guys.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I was out on disability for 12 weeks starting late Aug 2015, called Citizens and the lender for my home to put both on notice. I fell behind on both when my savings ran out. The credit union had no problem with it. They just asked me how I was planning to be caught back up. I made double payments when I went back to work for 4 weeks. I thought I was just a month behind with Citizens. I had the county taxes due and was juggling to get back on my feet. I was there, what I thought was a month behind with Citizens was closer to 7 weeks. I had to get a propane delivery. I had heating fuel delivered. Once I became 60 days behind, they put an order to repo my truck. My fault I did not know I went over the 60 days. Calling in Aug to let them know I was on disability??? It was their right to take action.

What took place afterwards was the kicker. I called and I was told what the fees was to get my truck back. I have some money in a brokerage account that has tax issues to pull money out. I was waiting for a check to come from them. I called Citizens and told them I waiting for a check to come. I will be paying off all the fees. I was told "Don't be concerned. You have until 2-22 to get your truck back, it will be in the place it's at until then." They freaking moved my truck 57 miles away then I had to pay 465 bucks for the move. I'm sure they wanted me to fail, something is not right there.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2015

Do not do business with this company, they say they can help. They give you a high rate, then when it all ends they tell you to come up with 9000 dollars for a car that's not worth a thousand. They take advantage of the poor and have no plans on helping. When you ask for a manager they say, "I am the manager" then treat you as if you're a nobody. My car broke down and I was stuck out-of-town with three kids. When I called to fix it, it was basically "Pay us. Who cares that you had to be stuck out-of-town with your kids? We want 9000 dollars." And I still have voicemail that said I only owed 50.00 dollars. They are ruthless. If you do business with them you can lose everything from a matter of false promises..

Original review: Sept. 22, 2015

They said they sent me a title in February but that was the one piece of mail lost this year. I don't believe that when others have the same complaint. Now it's time to jump through hoops with a company that provides letters that confirm that your loan is paid (for 30.00), then you get to apply for a new title through your state. I dislike having to do this sort of thing a lot! I'm not giving them any credit at all. They were very dismissive on the phone and insinuated that I was somehow at fault because I waited so long to follow up. I don't buy cars very often and forget the process. They never sent a letter telling me what to expect after paying off my loan and to look for the title in the mail which I believe every company I've ever had a loan with have done. I consider this very poor customer service and it's my first and last time working with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2015

Been trying for 3 weeks to resolve a late fee on my account. Happened because when I paid my payment online like I've been doing for at least 5 years now, I must have hit a wrong number. No immediate notification or even notification by phone until I get SEVEN letters in the mail the beginning of August stating my loan is passed due, blah, blah. I called and explained to them what happened. They said no waiving of late fee, but they would put it through to higher-ups and see if they would consider it. I never heard back, so I called and spoke to a supervisor. He looked at my loan/payment history, saw that we are excellent payers, pay extra on our loan every month, pay on time, and said he understood the situation and would waive the fee. This phone conversation was being recorded. A week later, still have a late fee on my account. I called yet again and was told he was wrong in doing that and there would be no waiver.

I have spoken to the supposed higher-ups, and was told the same thing. And of course they conveniently cannot find the one recorded call I had with the man who said he would waive the fee. That has been lost in the call center somewhere. Bottom line, they do not value their customers. A few years ago, we got a call from them on the 23rd of the month. Our payment is due on the 20th. They were wanting to know where our camper was parked in case they needed to repo it since we hadn't made our payment yet. THREE DAYS AFTER THE DUE DATE WHEN THE GRACE PERIOD IS 10 DAYS!!! I was in shock that they were treating us like that. I've never encountered a company like this. I cannot wait until we get this loan paid off so we can never deal with them again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2015

I am a U.S. Marine about to deploy again. Most financial institutions will suspend any loan payment during the duration of a deployment as a courtesy. While it is not required by law, it is a very simple courtesy that can be given to military members forward deployed. Usually the only thing required is proof of orders for a deployment. However when speaking to a representative and a manager both told me that they adhere to "the law". As if caring about your customers is illegal. As soon as I have the opportunity I will be refinancing with any other bank (Mind you I have either been early or on time with every single payment, never delinquent.)

Original review: May 15, 2015

When we received our first statement, we wanted to pay off our car loan in full. One payment was deducted, one wasn't. Finally, after many phone calls and the runaround, I was told that our account was closed out and we were paid in full. A week later, I got a letter saying that they returned one of our payments because of their mistake. They wanted us to send a money order. I didn't want the hassle of that, so I called and asked to make a phone payment. They charge for those so I asked if they would waive the fee, they were adamant, they would NOT. Their mistake, but I would still be penalized.

Original review: March 12, 2015

I gave the car to my daughter and she tried to get the car in her name and it showed the bank owns my car and it was paid off in a month's time ten years ago!!! They will not deal with you!

Citizens Auto Finance Company Information