Citizens Auto Finance

Compare Auto Loans

Research top Auto Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid my car off 16 months ago and never received my title. Thinking it got lost in the mail or something, I went to the state building to get a new title and the state tells me that there is a lien on my vehicle. I call RBS and they are telling to call mytitlesupport.com. This company is telling me that I have to call RBS to have the lien released from my car. Meanwhile, they are not releasing the lien from my car but yet one company blaming another.

Purchased different car with dealership sending payoff check to Citizens Auto Finance. They did not post in timely manner and said they did not get check. Dealership issued another check sent overnight. Was told by Citizens that loan was paid in full but another payment was taken from auto payment. Week later they said loan was not paid, check was stopped payment. This was totally due to their inability to post payoff in time to prevent mix-up. I talked to supervisor. Assigned to another top dog and was told it would be cleared up and my refund for over payment would be soon. Three months later and still not resolved. Cannot believe this company is still in business. Story is much more sordid than this but don't have enough room to tell all. Bottom line, do not do business with this bank. Overall it was nightmare and still not resolved after three months.

The car under the loan was totaled, so the insurance company needed a copy, just a copy, of the title in order to pay off the remaining balance. I called Citizens at least 10 times within 2 weeks, asking them to fax the title copy. 4/10 of the customer services representatives told me that this wasn't allowed and kept telling me that I was wrong. I had to speak to 3 supervisors and only one supervisor was able to meet my request by personally faxing the copy herself. Worst customer service experience I have ever experienced. Not only did it take forever for them to solve my problem, it appears that none of the representatives really know the correct answer to whether faxing a title copy is allowed or not!

I had 2 car loans for my daughters, in both cases once a year for both loans, they would conveniently lose a payment. Both loans were paid using the same automatic payment through my bank, yet once a year the system that worked 11 times a year wouldn't work for the 12th. Be aware of their systems ability to generate revenue by losing a payment and then trying to charge a late fee for THEIR system. I have paid off both loans early to just get away from their dishonest business practices. Once is an error, the same month and time for four years on two loans, hmmm.

As I'll be going out of country for a vacation, I was trying to reach out to the customer service to make sure my car payments are done on time since they hit your credit score for every little thing. I have realized that all the numbers they provide on their pay statements and website get forwarded to automatic machine without an option to talk to a real person. This is the worst experience I've had with any customer service ever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Auto Finance?

Do not use this company, they are horrible. My first payment was to be paid by the dealership where I bought my car. They sent the check to the address that was provided to them by customer service. The check was returned, they called again and got a different address and again the check was returned. I call the customer service with the dealership on the phone and a manager named James gave dealership the payment address. This was a week ago. Today when I called they still haven't received the payment, and it was sent certified.

So to keep my payment for being late, I went online and made the payment myself and have the confirmation number. Called customer service. Spoke with Patty, stated they still not showing payment received. I asked her to put the confirmation number in the notes to let them see where I have paid, she says they are unable to do that... What kind of mess is that? They are terrible, I advise you to not get involved with them. I'm at work but will be working on refinancing with another company. I will not be going through this hassle every month. SO PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE. They are the worst ever... Trust me on this.

I contacted Citizens Auto Finance and requested a payment history and a running principal balance for my auto loan. The vehicle was total in a accident and the Gap Insurance was in need of the requested documents. The customer service representative advise me that it would take 7 to 10 business days to mail the documents to me. I advised Citizens Auto Finance that it was imperative that I received the documents within a day. The representative was unconcern about the situation and could only repeat that the document must be mailed using regular mail with the post office. I asked to speak with a supervisor only to get more agitated with the response. I inquired if the document could be emailed or mailed overnight and was told no. She stated to me that because of security reason the document could only be mailed regular mail.

Are they not aware that emails could be sent secured or that a envelope that's mailed overnight is more secured than regular mail, because of the tracking system, as well as, the requirement for a signature when delivered. The supervisor also stated that I could sign up for online banking to retrieve the document, however, when I asked her would it be the document that I need, she stated she didn't think so. The supervisor stated that if the insurance company called, they could provide them the information needed.

When I question why is it that they could provide information to the insurance company, but not to the customer because of security reasons, she quickly change it to, if the insurance company call they would give them the information verbally. What good would that do? What I don't understand is why a business would not try to accommodate a good customer to ensure that the customer is satisfied in a effort to retain the customer for future business. Citizens One Auto Finance is being very difficult which would eventually cost me money for a solution that would take minutes to solve. I believe they stall on providing the documents, because it means more money in interest to them. I would not do business with Citizens One Auto Finance again and I am going to tell everyone about Citizens One Auto Finance practices.

My car was totaled on June 1, 2016. I have been working feverishly with my Gap insurance to pay the car off. Everything is in order except they need a payment history from Citizens. I made 3 different request and still have never received it. In addition to the June payment and late fees I will now owe for July. I am at my wits end for I don't know what else to do to obtain the document I need to have this vehicle paid off. I have good credit and want to keep it that way but I refuse to continue making monthly payments on a car I don't have any longer and Citizens is holding back on providing me with this simple document that will end this all. I want to pay the balance I owe and have the check from Gap to pay the difference. I don't know where to turn.

So I took out a small loan about 6 months ago to build my credit in the hopes that I could get a new vehicle. Now one everyone was friendly and nice in the beginning but now things changed. I contacted Margot a few months prior to touch bases about my new car. All I was told was "I told you 6 months. It's only your fourth. Get a couple more payments and we will talk..." Personally I think this was rude as hell. She was so short with me and very uninterested. So I knew that someone like this WOULDN'T ever finance a car that's actually worth wild.

So 2 more months go by and I literally scoured the Internet for months looking for a nice piece of ** that would be acceptable for this complete liar to finance. I make almost 60,000 a yr but my credit is complete ** so I know what to expect. I asked for 6000 for a "new car" that was still 11 yrs old. I was told no LOL that the car was too high end... Wow it must be because I'm ** because she then proceeds to say "I will finance any other SUV for that price but not a BMW." I think that is a total crock of **. I mean TBH any 6000 car that's over 10 yrs old will in all likely breakdown. Which is understandable and definitely a cause for concern when financing, but I truly think she don't want to see a ** man doing good.

I just can't understand why on earth my loan would be denied when I virtually met all the nonexistent criteria and still get ** on. I think egotistical ** with bias hate for others should not make decisions for others. Now I'm stuck with this loan that I really didn't need for nothing because at the end of the day I still don't have a new car and I wouldn't finance a pair of shoes from this place.

I paid my car loan in full in January 2016. After paying my loan, I received a letter stating my loan was paid in full and my car title would be arriving shortly. After 2 months, I did not receive my car title and contacted Citizens One Auto Finance. I was told my car title was mailed out at the end of January. However, I never received my car title via the mail. Citizens One then sent me a letter for a Release of Lien to take to the driver's bureau to request a duplicate title. I contacted the DMV in my state and was informed it would cost $95 to obtain a duplicate title. I contacted Citizens One again and was told there was nothing they could do about it and they made a million excuses as to why I didn't receive my title and even accused me of losing the title. I was courteous via the phone and explained multiple times that I never received the title via mail. I am very disappointed with Citizens One.

After financing a car for over $20k, they can't even get the title to me and now it's going to cost me an additional $95 to obtain the title to my car because Citizens One can't properly mail my title to my residence. I am looking to purchase another car soon but after my experience with customer service at Citizens One, I will never finance a loan with them again. I have now read multiple reviews on Citizens One and it appears I am not the only one that has had difficulty obtaining my title after paying off the loan. Poor customer service and a very difficult company to work with. All I want from Citizens One is to mail me a copy of my title as they should have done when the car loan was paid in full instead of giving me the runaround on the phone. Truly disappointed, frustrated and upset with a company that does not value their customers as evidenced by the treatment I have received.

I have the same problem with Citizens Bank Auto Finance. Paid off the loan over 8 years ago. Do not remember getting a lien release letter. Now I was given a website to get assistance. The fee is $30.00??? Do anyone have the website???

If you choose this bank to finance a new vehicle you can easily run into major problems when you wish to pay them electronically through your bank and not use their login portal. Our problem with Citizens Auto Finance arose when the paper checks that our bank mails from our Bill Pay portal would arrive late. When the late payment fees are triggered and calculated, you CANNOT pay these fees using your lending institutions electronic bill-pay. Instead, their systems automatically apply the payments you make to your principal. Anything extra you pay to make things right are NOT applied to the late fees and things keep racking up. What this does is cause a compounding problem that starts adding up and generating more and more late fees.

While consumers think they are paying their bills and squaring away debt obligations, Citizen's is just applying it where they want to and not changing your next month's payment OR your late fees owed. We were told that we must resort to sending them traditional paper checks with clear instructions on the checks to apply our funds to our late fees otherwise they do not have the capability with their systems to apply the funds from bill pay checks. I find this absolutely ridiculous that financial institution who is in the business of lending, counting and collecting money has such an antiquated and inefficient way of doing business. We have financed a lot of vehicles the last 20 years. If a dealer ever brings this company up as an option I will gladly walk out of the dealer. Screw these guys.

I was out on disability for 12 weeks starting late Aug 2015, called Citizens and the lender for my home to put both on notice. I fell behind on both when my savings ran out. The credit union had no problem with it. They just asked me how I was planning to be caught back up. I made double payments when I went back to work for 4 weeks. I thought I was just a month behind with Citizens. I had the county taxes due and was juggling to get back on my feet. I was there, what I thought was a month behind with Citizens was closer to 7 weeks. I had to get a propane delivery. I had heating fuel delivered. Once I became 60 days behind, they put an order to repo my truck. My fault I did not know I went over the 60 days. Calling in Aug to let them know I was on disability??? It was their right to take action.

What took place afterwards was the kicker. I called and I was told what the fees was to get my truck back. I have some money in a brokerage account that has tax issues to pull money out. I was waiting for a check to come from them. I called Citizens and told them I waiting for a check to come. I will be paying off all the fees. I was told "Don't be concerned. You have until 2-22 to get your truck back, it will be in the place it's at until then." They freaking moved my truck 57 miles away then I had to pay 465 bucks for the move. I'm sure they wanted me to fail, something is not right there.

Do not do business with this company, they say they can help. They give you a high rate, then when it all ends they tell you to come up with 9000 dollars for a car that's not worth a thousand. They take advantage of the poor and have no plans on helping. When you ask for a manager they say, "I am the manager" then treat you as if you're a nobody. My car broke down and I was stuck out-of-town with three kids. When I called to fix it, it was basically "Pay us. Who cares that you had to be stuck out-of-town with your kids? We want 9000 dollars." And I still have voicemail that said I only owed 50.00 dollars. They are ruthless. If you do business with them you can lose everything from a matter of false promises..

They said they sent me a title in February but that was the one piece of mail lost this year. I don't believe that when others have the same complaint. Now it's time to jump through hoops with a company that provides letters that confirm that your loan is paid (for 30.00), then you get to apply for a new title through your state. I dislike having to do this sort of thing a lot! I'm not giving them any credit at all. They were very dismissive on the phone and insinuated that I was somehow at fault because I waited so long to follow up. I don't buy cars very often and forget the process. They never sent a letter telling me what to expect after paying off my loan and to look for the title in the mail which I believe every company I've ever had a loan with have done. I consider this very poor customer service and it's my first and last time working with this bank.

Been trying for 3 weeks to resolve a late fee on my account. Happened because when I paid my payment online like I've been doing for at least 5 years now, I must have hit a wrong number. No immediate notification or even notification by phone until I get SEVEN letters in the mail the beginning of August stating my loan is passed due, blah, blah. I called and explained to them what happened. They said no waiving of late fee, but they would put it through to higher-ups and see if they would consider it. I never heard back, so I called and spoke to a supervisor. He looked at my loan/payment history, saw that we are excellent payers, pay extra on our loan every month, pay on time, and said he understood the situation and would waive the fee. This phone conversation was being recorded. A week later, still have a late fee on my account. I called yet again and was told he was wrong in doing that and there would be no waiver.

I have spoken to the supposed higher-ups, and was told the same thing. And of course they conveniently cannot find the one recorded call I had with the man who said he would waive the fee. That has been lost in the call center somewhere. Bottom line, they do not value their customers. A few years ago, we got a call from them on the 23rd of the month. Our payment is due on the 20th. They were wanting to know where our camper was parked in case they needed to repo it since we hadn't made our payment yet. THREE DAYS AFTER THE DUE DATE WHEN THE GRACE PERIOD IS 10 DAYS!!! I was in shock that they were treating us like that. I've never encountered a company like this. I cannot wait until we get this loan paid off so we can never deal with them again.

I am a U.S. Marine about to deploy again. Most financial institutions will suspend any loan payment during the duration of a deployment as a courtesy. While it is not required by law, it is a very simple courtesy that can be given to military members forward deployed. Usually the only thing required is proof of orders for a deployment. However when speaking to a representative and a manager both told me that they adhere to "the law". As if caring about your customers is illegal. As soon as I have the opportunity I will be refinancing with any other bank (Mind you I have either been early or on time with every single payment, never delinquent.)

When we received our first statement, we wanted to pay off our car loan in full. One payment was deducted, one wasn't. Finally, after many phone calls and the runaround, I was told that our account was closed out and we were paid in full. A week later, I got a letter saying that they returned one of our payments because of their mistake. They wanted us to send a money order. I didn't want the hassle of that, so I called and asked to make a phone payment. They charge for those so I asked if they would waive the fee, they were adamant, they would NOT. Their mistake, but I would still be penalized.

I gave the car to my daughter and she tried to get the car in her name and it showed the bank owns my car and it was paid off in a month's time ten years ago!!! They will not deal with you!

In 2004 I financed a vehicle through Charter One which is part of this company. I paid the vehicle off within months. They never sent me a payoff letter. I didn't think that these idiots were still on my title and now ten years later I have to pay money to a third party to get proof that it is paid off!!! PISS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE I SAY!!!!

Do not do business with this company. I have been paying on time for 3.5 years, I have paid 14,400 so far on my SUV. I still owe 12,500. The original loan was for 11,900. They are unable to produce paperwork to show where my money is going. They are rude and unprofessional. I became late by a month and a half due to a job loss. I tried to pay 3 separate occasions and every time, told they would not take the money unless it was for the full amount. They then said they would talk to the "male" on the account - sexist. These people are crooks. Do NOT USE THEM!!!!!

After paying off my loan I reached out to Citizens Auto Finance to see when they would forward my title. I was moving at the end of the month and was concerned that it would not reach me in time. I was told that it was sent standard mai and that allowed me 2 weeks to receive my title. I forwarded my mail to my new address the day after I left the old address. It had been 2 weeks at the new address, so I went back to the apt building (who held other mail I had received) and they did not have it either. I have since called them back 5-10 times to obtain my title.

Some said they could help, some pointed me in another direction. That direction was through My Title Support. I now need a lien release ($30). I need to request a duplicate title form and then I need to take those documents to DMV and sit there for hours so that I can pay another ($25) for a duplicate title. What upsets me the most is that I have been laughed at for asking a service rep to please connect me to someone who can handle this for me right away (I'm now trying to sell the vehicle), I have been told by a Supervisor that they did nothing wrong and I have been denied a request to speak to his superior.

There is no recourse unless you want to spend hours upon hours of talking to people who are ignorant and are going to make you feel like you are the person at fault. I've been told to 'either contact my title support and pay the fee, or contact postal service and file a complaint'. Do not, ever, use this company as your lending company. If they are recommended by an auto dealership, you should probably run from that dealership as well. Businesses like this do not last long term. I have never posted a negative remark on a website before.

Citizens Auto Finance was the lender for my last auto purchase. In order to make a payment by phone, they charge $12.50!!!!! After making my last payment in September, I still have not received my title as of 12/27!! I am told it is being held at a title agency in CA... I am an NJ resident. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! They find any way to rack up miscellaneous charges and offer NOTHING in the way of service! Thank you for making the auto lending process as difficult and expensive as humanly possible, RBS Citizens Auto Finance.

I paid off my car loan. I received a letter in the mail congratulating me on paying it off and saying my title would be mailed within 14 days. After waiting over three weeks, I called them and they couldn't tell me where my title was, but offered to send me a duplicate if I paid for it. I have been calling them for a week with no success. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I mysteriously get disconnected! I am trying to obtain a loan for a new house and I need the title for the bank to use my car as collateral. A month later, I'm still waiting for the title!

DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH CITIZENS FINANCE. At the end of 2008, I purchased a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer from a used car lot in Joliet, IL with a loan through Citizens Finance. Over the next 2 years, I made my monthly payments on time and never missed a payment. In 2010, I went to refinance to get a cheaper interest rate, and to my surprise, I had amount $3,500 plus over my principle balance! I asked them where did this amount come from and they said it was due to late charges. I told them I never been late on a payment and they said I've alway paid $100 less than my payment.

This was due to that fact that Citizens Finance has added an Auto Insurance charge of $1100 per year for the last 3 years, even though I always had auto full coverage auto insurance on the vehicle! In addition, they continued to add late charges on top of that. I was told they would correct the problem if produced proof I had insurance with Citizens finance as the lien holder, which I did twice. The second time I physically handed the policy to them. However, they never corrected the issue and every time I called them, they make excuses. Now, they won't even take my calls. As of today, I have a payout on the car of $7,900 in which I originally paid $7,500! Consider the damage this does to my credit score. I am planning to file a lawsuit against this company.

My wages were garnished to pay off my car and I completed all payments on the car but the title was never sent to me. Two years later, they show up to take my car away saying I still owe money on it. I paid it the next day and they still have not sent my title. They added an insurance policy which I was not informed about and was never given a declaration page for. I had auto insurance and they were told to cancel that policy, by the way. Now, after recovering my car, I still do not have title or declaration page of insurance they supposedly purchased showing coverage time. I need help as they keep giving me the run around over this.

I was getting behind on my car payments and asked for a revision on my loan but was told they don't do that. My payments were late and we informed the bank we were making payments to bring the account current. In a 4 week period we paid the account to current as well as a payment due for the following month. However, Citizens did not post my payments for 2 weeks and as a result, the account went to repossession agents. Even though the payments they didn't post brought my account to current, and a future payment was also received, they failed to update the information on my account and as a result the car was repossessed.

The following morning I called the bank and the first rep informed me that the payments were in fact received and read notes on my account from 3 weeks prior that acknowledged my account was current. I was outraged, emotionally drained and horrified to be told that the repo man went around my neighborhood and asked about me and the whereabouts of the car. I admit I was very angry and made no secret of that after I had to keep calling back to get the status on my car.

After several calls to the bank, and being put on hold for 20+ minutes more than once, or hung up on, I was told that they didn't know who had the car, where it was or when it would be returned. After 4 hours I called the police to report it stolen as well as informed Citizens AF Supervisor that I was reporting my car stolen since they didn't seem to know where it was and were responsible for it.

When I received the information on the agent who had the car I called them and was told the bank did not update the information on my account until this morning after I called them and told them what happened. When the tow truck brought the car back it was very dirty and the hood was dented. The driver told me he dropped it at a convenience store off I95 in Maryland and then drove back to NJ. He had to drive back down from NJ to MD to get the car and then bring it back. This saga goes on but the rest of the day I tried to talk to the bank to get the real status of my account since I was also told those payments were going to be applied to the repo charges and they didn't have the correct payment amounts.

I also found out from the driver who the "middle-man" company is that the bank was using to hire the repo agent. When I called them and told them I had a damaged car and I also wanted to know when they received the information from the bank, they gave me a number to call. It was a disconnected number. That was also confirmed by the company when I got another number for them and called back. I have yet to get the correct department to answer the phone so I can make the claim for the damage. When I called the bank back to get a number to call to request a higher level manager to discuss the account with me, I was also given a bad number. As a result of their actions in the past 24 hours, I have suffered from emotional anxiety due to the mishandling of this situation by them.

A physical condition I was in treatment for and had to miss my appointment today was worsened when I was told to get my belongings from the car when the tow truck driver rang my doorbell at 12:30 a.m. I was so upset and in trying to reach the contents in my trunk, which was up on the tow hook, I injured myself further. I would like to know what grounds I have to file a formal complaint on the bank and restitution for the damages to the car, the emotional stress, the pain I am now suffering from having to retrieve my belongings from my car and the financial burden caused by missing work.

I just made my last payment on my car loan finishing up all the stubs in the book. In the back of the book, there is a number to call to find out if we owe any money because they told us the last stub was not actually the last payment. We had to call for the last payment, which I did. The operator I spoke to told me I owed a late charge from June of 2008. This does not make sense because I previously had a couple of late payments and they had to be paid with right away. This just doesn't add up because they would have told us immediately if we were late and we would have to pay it at that time which was done in the past. Can you please let me know if I have a legitimate claim?

Citizens Auto Finance Company Profile